Thread: Eccles: Pentecost Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000699

Posted by Martin L (# 11804) on :

Do you have:
1) A request to wear red
2) A collection for red flowers
3) Some sort of red, orange, and yellow streamers
4) Praise music

[ 29. August 2009, 10:47: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
Do you have:
1) A request to wear red
4) Praise music

1) yes
2) red flowers, but no collection for them
3) red drapes, but no scarves
4) Heavens no! [Eek!]

(Assuming that by "Praise music" you mean repetitive choruses and lots of keyboard, drums, and guitars, etc. Of course we shall use hymns from the Hymnal 1982 that praise God. If this is what you mean, I apologize and change my answer to #4.)

Posted by Quam Dilecta (# 12541) on :

My resolutely untrendy parish does not actively discourage the wearing of red beyond the sanctuary, but neither does it pressure people to do so. There will probably be red flowers near the altar, but "Praise" music, fluttering banners, and balloon releases will not be on the menu.

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

This Sunday, instead of usually attending the traditional Sung Mass, I'm going to the contemporary service. I hope we are singing Gordon Light's "She comes sailing on the wind", my favorite hymn about the Holy Spirit.

Posted by PD (# 12436) on :

quote:
Do you have:
1) A request to wear red
4) Praise music

No to all of the above. In fact, I almost want to celebrate in rochet and black chimere to make the point, but that would be just too cranky.

PD

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

1) Yes. Is this the latest trendy idea, then?
2) No collection, and probably no flowers - but then we don't have a building - we meet in the cafe area of a school, sitting round small tables. Sometimes there are candles on the tables, and once there were daffodils, so it's possible someone will put a flower in a glass on each table.
3) We used to have lots of flags and streamers for people to dance with every week, but since moving into the cafe area, there's no room
4) Yes, same as every week.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

It's the last Sunday School session of the year, so our kids are being treated to a "Sundae Sunday"; I thought perhaps the organizers were going for a "Happy Birthday, Church" theme, but actually they just wanted the kids to have ice cream.

No other hoopla at our place.

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
It's the last Sunday School session of the year, so our kids are being treated to a "Sundae Sunday"; I thought perhaps the organizers were going for a "Happy Birthday, Church" theme, but actually they just wanted the kids to have ice cream.

No other hoopla at our place.

At my previous place, as newsletter editor I cleverly promoted Sundae Sunday as a celebration of "our favorite pair of homophones." An elderly retired priest posted me a note that read, "Yes, but are they self-affirming homophones?" [Big Grin]

On topic: we're "none of the above" as far as the items in the OP are concerned. Some will wear red. Solemn procession to "Come, Holy Ghost, our souls inspire"; sequence Veni Sancte Spiritus sung by the choir to Palestrina's eight-part setting.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

In my town we are having our first attempt at a joint ecumenical outdoor service in the town centre (see here ). Many town centre churches are cancelling their morning services to encourage people to attend, and the bishop will be there taking part. And a praise band. Not sure what else to expect! Just hope it stays dry as there are no wet weather plans!

Posted by Cyprian (# 5638) on :

quote:
Do you have:
1) A request to wear red

No. Although none is specified beyond the call for a light colour, the liturgical generally used for Pentecost is green, as a sign of the abundance of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Much like at Quam Dilecta's parish, the faithful are neither actively encouraged nor discouraged to wear something green. In this sense, it is no different from any other time of year.

quote:
No. People come to green the church themselves, usually the day before, (as it's a soul sabbath so we often have services then), although some people do come early on the Sunday morning to help.

quote:
No. How would they be used in a service?

quote:
4) Praise music
Oh yes. Lots of it.

The typical psalms will be replaced by festal antiphons, including the refrain "O Gracious Comforter, save us who chant unto Thee: Alleluia!", and we shall sing over and over the troparion:

quote:
Blessed art Thou, O Christ our God, Who hast shown forth the fishermen as supremely wise by sending down upon them the Holy Spirit, and through them didst draw the world into thy net. O only Lover of mankind, glory to Thee!
In the Anaphora, the usual hymn to the Mother of God will be replaced with:

quote:
Rejoice, O Queen, the glory of both mothers and virgins! For no mouth, however fluent and well-spoken, can be so eloquent as to hymn thee worthily; and every mind faileth to understand thy childbirth. Wherefore, with one accord, we glorify thee!

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

We have this new director of christian education who's a little gung-ho. [Hot and Hormonal] I think the trick is to allow some family-friendly activities without letting the kids think that Pentecost is merely the same thing as the last day of school.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Bring food!

We have the bishop presiding for the Solemn Mass followed by a picnic.

Posted by Matrix (# 3452) on :

UK Baptist here:

1)no
2)no
3) we have flags, and other colours besides
4) Heck yes!

Emphasis this weekend on celebration, diversity and unity, and the power of God.

M

Posted by Max. (# 5846) on :

1. No (Stupid idea)
2. No
3. No
4. Yes

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

No
No
No
No

(thank heavens)

Posted by St.Silas the carter (# 12867) on :

1)No.
2)Yes.
3)No.
4) This is praise music, right?

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

Why is Pentecost called "Whitsunday" when the liturgical color is red? Is it another example of the triumph of Vatican II liturgy over traditional English tradition?

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Why is Pentecost called "Whitsunday" when the liturgical color is red? Is it another example of the triumph of Vatican II liturgy over traditional English tradition?

Whitsunday got its name because of the abundance of baptismal robes. The old Pentecost vigil had a baptismal emphasis and was a relic of this being the second biggest day of the year for baptisms.

PD

Posted by Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known (# 11399) on :

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Will have to report back on that one

Then again, I will be at a festival Eucharist for a church that has taken the Holy Spirit for their title, hence their fiesta. I don't know if it will be red or white/best. Our bishop will be there for the festivities.

[cross-posted with PD while looking for texts]

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:

No.

We can't blame Vatican II for this one. The dispute about the etymology of the word Whitsunday goes back long before that.

Some say that the name of the feast is Whit Sunday, and that this reflects white baptismal garments. There is ndeed an Old English term hwīta sunnandæg, which means White Sunday.

However, the liturgical books do not seem to support this reading. There is evidence to suggest that the name has nothing whatsoever to do with colour but that it is actually Whitsun Day, whitsun/wisdom/wit traditionally being seen an outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Certainly, the following days are called Whitsun Monday and Whitsun Tuesday, and the whole week being called Whitsuntide, which seems to support this latter reading. Otherwise it would be Whit Monday, and so forth, which, in my experience at least, only appears in secular terminology but not in the names of liturgical days.

I was able to find this online:

quote:
This day is called Wytsonday because the Holy Ghost brought wytte and wysdom into Christis disciples ... and filled them full of ghostly wytte. — In die Pentecostis (printed by Wynken de Worde)

quote:
“We ought to kepe this our Witsonday bicause the law of God was then of the Holy Wyght on Ghost deliured gostly vnto vs.” — Taverner (1540)
Even in the Byzantine Rite, the troparion for Pentecost speaks of Christ having shown the fishermen to be supremely wise.

So, take your pick. I rather like the idea of the latter understanding.

[ 30. May 2009, 00:57: Message edited by: Cyprian ]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

1. No to request to wear red;
  2. The church flowers have been themed red & white since Easter 2 as we did big centenary celebrations with a St George's Day Concert. They seem to be getting more red and orange since;
  3. No, to red streamers, but I don't know what the youth groups are doing
  4. Tell you later what we get for music

Because it's a fifth Sunday, it's a joint team service, followed by a picnic in the Rectory garden. Personally, I'm hoping for an appropriate descending of the helium balloon in the roof (mea culpa, I did Ascension with toddler church, and the inevitable happened) [Snigger]

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
4) This is praise music, right?

YES!!!
Their attire is identical to what my college choir wore 35 years ago!

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Personally, I'm hoping for an appropriate descending of the helium balloon in the roof (mea culpa, I did Ascension with toddler church, and the inevitable happened) [Snigger]

(tangent)
I think someone posted previously that solution was either an air rifle, or a second balloon (+string) and double-sided tape...

[continuing tangent]We've had that conversation. The church warden who suggested bringing in the airgun has been persuaded otherwise. There is a third solution, wait until the balloon deflates and sinks gracefully back down to earth, and this one is deflating. I'm just hoping for apposite timing.
It's currently giving quite a few of us a certain amount of innocent pleasure, and it certainly proved that I did Ascension on Ascension Day![/tangent]

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

Any decent organist will play
Whiter Shade of Pale tomorrow.

Note 1: Is that Max. at the organ????
Note 2: Yes, this was dancing, back then. May explain why we oldsters have a problem with Liturgical Dance.

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Yes, people have been asked to wear red. After the announcement, someone told me this had been a tradition in the parish about 20 years ago, so maybe it's an old new trend.

Don't you just love that? My current pastor has "taught" us so many new hymns/songs: Wake, awake, for night is flying and Thine is the glory, among others. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

1. Best red chasuble, stole and maniple are ready for Father in the sacristy.
2. Dunno exactly what colour flowers we're having, though I think red will be prominent.
3. Eh?
4. Yes indeedy -

Come down, O Love divine
Come, thou holy Paraclete
O thou who camest from above
Gracious Spirit, Holy Ghost and (for the last time this year chiz chiz chiz)
Regina Coeli

Ian J.

Posted by Carys (# 78) on :

1) Red Chasuble and stoles,* burse, veil, pulpit fall, and book mark at the Eagle. I might wear a red top and one of the choristers always wears the correctly coloured tie, unfortunately as we'll both be serving this won't be visible during the service as we'll be in cassock and cotta.
2) We don't have flowers very often and I don't know whether we'll have any tomorrow. Didn't think of it in time to chat to the lady who does them.
3) We'll change the Easter banner to the Pentecost one. (Nice trip up the ladder for me before the service I suspect).
4) Praise music from various centuries yes!
We're coming into O Holy Ghost our Souls inspire and have got O thou who camest from above.** Anthem is Tallis' If ye love me which is actually a couple of weeks late I know.*** Can't remember what the other two or three hymns are.

Carys

*We have a deacon but unfortunately no dalmatics. But my mum (the deacon) does have a very nice red stole which was her father's.
**Which we had at Grampy's funeral (the owner of the stole)
***Bizarrely a fortnight ago we had an anthem setting of Come Down o Love Divine. Those two really should have been the other way round.

Posted by Seelenbräutigam (# 12896) on :

1) No explicit request, though it’s been quite a tradition among one group of older ladies for some time now.
2) The color is up to whoever donates them that week, I think.
3) Maybe if the preschool or Sunday school were still in session, but they’re not.
4) No. In fact, this Sunday is probably the Sunday we bring out the oldest and some of the best hymns. [Smile]

Last year, I’m told, the electricity went out, so Pentecost Sunday meant a capella singing, by candlelight, with wind rushing through the open windows. [Cool] I’m afraid they aren’t going to do it again this year.

Posted by Seelenbräutigam (# 12896) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Personally, I'm hoping for an appropriate descending of the helium balloon in the roof (mea culpa, I did Ascension with toddler church, and the inevitable happened) [Snigger]

The chapel at my university likes to use balloons at the main service on Palm Sunday. Everyone releases them inside the chapel, where they cling to the ceiling for the rest of the service.
This year, though, there was a service in the late afternoon, the bulk of which was a series of pieces sung by the choir. Sure enough, several balloons decided to terrorize both choir and congregation, either falling rather suddenly to the ground or repeatedly floating down and rising again, harassing the worshipers the whole while!
[Big Grin]

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

If I can broaden this just a little... what are you all doing with the sequence? We're reciting it together off a sheet. Are others singing it, or rather a lector do it? Or just ignoring it?

Also, anyone doing a Pentecost Vigil? I've never actually come across a real one.

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
If I can broaden this just a little... what are you all doing with the sequence? We're reciting it together off a sheet. Are others singing it, or rather a lector do it? Or just ignoring it?

Also, anyone doing a Pentecost Vigil? I've never actually come across a real one.

No and no.

In fact, our books of worship seem to think that Veni, Creator Spiritus is the sequence of Pentecost. [Roll Eyes] Still, it won't be used as such by any Lutheran churches I know.

Posted by cg (# 14332) on :

quote:

Here is exactly how to do a Pentecost Vigil. Maybe you could try one next year? You'll find all the words (prophecies, collects etc.) in English in the English Missal.

I read through it there last night and was struck in particular by the reference in the third collect to 'Moses thy servant [through whom thou] hast instructed us also in the chanting of thy sacred song'. (It would make a good liturgy trivia question -'of whom was it said...')

And the sixth collect offers hope even for debased liturgy: 'O Lord God of hosts, who restorest those things that are broken down, and preservest those things that thou restorest...'

[ 31. May 2009, 06:03: Message edited by: cg ]

Posted by Foaming Draught (# 9134) on :

Well in ascending rage-inducing order, here's my

hospital chapel, and a

chaplain [Biased] and his liturgical red

stole.

As for music, to go with Ezekiel 37, The Valley of Dry Bones, we had (not Dem bones, dem bones, but) Westlife singing "You raise me up".

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

1. I wore my dark red tie (more like the blood of martyrs than the fire of Pentecost, but hey....)
2. The sanctuary flower arrangements (two today, it being a major feast) were composed partly of some spectacular red orchids, along with some white thingies and greenery. Gorgeous!

Not many people, though, as it's the end of the school half-term holiday in our area and several families are away........

Ian J.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

I'm off to serve at the Ordination Service this afternoon - will give a full account later, but the music includes all of the Usual Things, praise be to God!

I never answered my own questions!

1) Yes, we had a request to wear red (No, I did not)

2) No, we had no collection for red flowers. Sometimes we do, sometimes not. We did have red and white geraniums anyway.

3) No streamers, and certainly nothing on poles. On our cross swoop (long piece of cloth draped on the cross), we had red, white, and gold. The latter two seem to have been left up for convenience for next week.

4) Surprisingly, our hymns were traditional. Usually, we have the loooooooooong Spirit, Spirit of Gentleness, but we didn't this time. I would have liked to hear the old German chestnut Wie schon leuchtet to the words "O Holy Spirit enter in," which I haven't had since I was quite young, but currently we are on a new tune phase.

We also had confirmation. Back in my day, I had confirmation on Easter 2 or Easter 3. I'm glad I didn't have to wait all the way until Pentecost!

[ 31. May 2009, 15:44: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

There were about 2500 people out in the sun this morning at my town's ecumenical outdoor Pentecost worship event. Fronted by a double decker bus in Pentecost colours (well it was red and yellow) displaying a banner that said 'There definitely is a God'. The Bishop spoke, we sang a mixture of traditional hymns and contemporary music, there were testimonies, prayers from around the world (natives of different countries prayed in their own language, with a translation in the service leaflet), there were banners, children's activities, prayer tent, and more people attending than they had produced leaflets for. Frankly it was a success. I'm sure we will be repeating it. The good weather definitely helped. this was right in the middle of the town centre, so shoppers were almost having to push through the crowds to get past - it must have made quite an impression I think. And it was a great encouragement to see how many Christians there were in our town.

quote:
Originally posted by cg:
quote:

Here is exactly how to do a Pentecost Vigil.
Oh, I now how to do one. Here's an order that corresponds to the current norms (Notitiae, 259, 156-159):

- Color is Red. The character is not baptismal, as in the Easter Vigil, but one of urgent prayer for the coming of the Holy Spirit.
- Following the Kyrie, the alternative opening prayer is said.
- The priest then invites the assembly, after the example of Mary, together with the apostles and disciples, to meditate upon God's wonderful deeds, and to pray that the work of the Spirit may be made more manifest in the world.
- The readings follow, each with its responsorial psalm and prayer, as in the Easter Vigil (the prayers may be taken from the ferial days of the seventh week of Easter):
~ Gen 11:1-9; Ps 33:101-5
~ Ex 19:3-8a; (Ps) Dan 3:52-56
~ Ez 37:1-14; Ps 107:2-9
~ Jl 3:1-5; Ps 104 1-2a, 24, 35c, 27-28, 29bc-30
- Following the prayer, the Gloria is sung.
- The Opening Pryaer of the Mass is then said.
- We then have another reading (Rom 8:22-27), sequence, alleluia and gospel (Jn 7:37-39).
- Rest of the Mass is normal. Roman Canon is used with its proper inserts.
- Sol Bl 9 is used and the dismissal "alleluia, alleluia".

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

quote:

I went to the English Mass today and we sang the sequence to the tune of Hymn to Joy . Normally we recite the sequences together at our church so it was nice to sing it ( though if it was up to me it would've been in plainsong ). It's the custom at our church to stand for the sequences.

We did have an all night Vigil last night. I didn't go but I think it was probably an informal all night Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament rather than the formal liturgy for the Vigil from the books.

We had red banners banners in the sanctuary, a red frontal on the ambo; red flowers on the side-altars , around the tabernalce, before the main altar and around the Paschal Candle. I didn't notice anybody wearing red though, except for the priest.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

1) No, but some did
2) No, but there were some
3) Most certainly not!
4) NEH

Last night I went to a (CofE) Pentecost Vigil Mass, though without all the Vigil readings. However, after the Kyrie, the Celebrant blessed 'oil of gladness' and we were each anointed with a cross on our foreheads as a reminder of our Confirmation.
quote:
May the Holy Spirit bring you healing and joy.
This was new to me, and more moving than renewal of baptismal vows - since I can actually remember my Confirmation. A FWSE suggests that it may be an Orthodox custom. Has anyone else met it?

Posted by dalej42 (# 10729) on :

I went to an Episcopal church.

No request to wear red, although most people did. The vestments looked the same as the ones worn on Palm Sunday, but the chasuble was far more festive.

There were red flowers, but they were paid for by a family

There was a red banner in the procession and a few children waving red streamers.

No praise music although the choir did sing a Gospel type song acapella during the Offertory.

When the Acts lesson was read, some people got up and began to read it in other languages. Also some children waived some banners to make a wind sound.

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Seelenbräutigam:
Last year, I’m told, the electricity went out, so Pentecost Sunday meant a capella singing, by candlelight, with wind rushing through the open windows.

I am so jealous!

I was playing handbells with the Baptists today, but know mostly what happens at my home RC church, so:

RC Parish of the Not Quite Combined Two Churches:

1) No. Most of the sheep are pretty oblivious to liturgical colors; the usual suspects may have remembered/found something red to wear.

2) No. Purchased flower arrangements (red and white) in front of the altar and the ambo.

3) No.

4)No and Yes. Depends on which mass you go to (and you'll know which ones to avoid if you have a preference, but that's normal).

[5) Sequence: I'm no longer in the choir, so I'm not sure. Is Pentecost the Laude Sion or something else? I suspect that it happened (done by cantor and/or choir) at the trad music masses and didn't at the contemporary music ones]

American Baptist Church (that 'American' indicates the denomination, not that it's in America):

1) No.

2) No. The flowers on The Table were some sprigs of forsythia and what looked like unopened buds on a stem of leftover Easter Lily.

3) No.

4) No. Waitaminute yes. There was one (the words were printed in the bulletin and it had that annoying Praise Chorus predictable-but-not-quite sort of tune). Other than that, classic good stuff by piano, organ, choir, handbells, and combinations thereof, plus solid Baptist singing of traditional hymns (with harmonies) by the congregation.

[5)At the beginning of the sermon, the pastor announced that today was Pentecost. I'm beginning to wonder about these people; they also acknowledge Lent and Advent.]

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Last night I went to a (CofE) Pentecost Vigil Mass, though without all the Vigil readings. However, after the Kyrie, the Celebrant blessed 'oil of gladness' and we were each anointed with a cross on our foreheads as a reminder of our Confirmation.
quote:
May the Holy Spirit bring you healing and joy.
This was new to me, and more moving than renewal of baptismal vows - since I can actually remember my Confirmation. A FWSE suggests that it may be an Orthodox custom. Has anyone else met it?
It does sound as though it is based on the informal lesser anointings that we practise in the Orthodox Church. It is the Sacrament of Holy Unction but not performed in its fullest form. We often do it at church after the Sunday Liturgy or after Vespers if somebody is physically or spirituall unwell and in need of healing, and others will often pesent themselves. In such cases, the priest uses previously-blessed oil, and anoints each person who presentes himself, with the words "The servant of God, N., is anointed with the oil of gladness, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, for the healing of soul and body". The last words are repeated as the priest anoints the person on the head, eyes, ears, nostrils, lips, chest, and the backs and palms of the hands (and, in some traditions, on the feet).

In its fullest form, Holy Unction is performed by a bishop and six priests, (or by seven priests), with seven epistles, seven gospels read by the priests in turn, and seven prayers of blessing of the oil by the priests in turn. The oil is surrounded by seven candles inserted into flour, (which is then used for bread for the Eucharist). Each set of readings and prayers is followed by an anointing of the whole congregation by the seven priests. The idea is that, by the final anointing, each member of the congregation should have been anointed by each of the seven priests, seven being symbolic of wholeness and completion. At the end, we all prostrate ourselves while the bishop or celebrant prays a final prayer invoking God's healing grace. It is traditionally celebrated during Lent by the bishop in his cathedral and then in various parts of his diocese but may be done whenever somebody is in need of healing and prayer.

I went to our diocesan Unction service at our packed cathedral last month. As the newly-formed reader, I even got to do the epistles in English to correspond to the Gospels and prayers that were done by those priests who did them in English. The cathedral's subdeacon did the Slavonic ones. It was one of the most beautiful services I have experienced.

Posted by Mockingbird (# 5818) on :

quote:
Do you have:
1) A request to wear red
4) Praise music

We were invited to wear red. I wore a red tie.
We had red flowers--lovely.
The children carried red balloons in the entrance procession. I don't care for these, I would rather they carried red flowers or red ribbons, but balloons have become traditional here, and they weren't too obtrusive.
No praise music.

The sked was:

7:00 AM Morning Prayer ( Lots of psalms. Gregorian chant, unaccompanied. Hymn after the prayers was the Golden Sequence.)
8:00 AM Eucharist (no music)
10:30 AM Eucharist with choir. Hymns from H1982. Anthem from early/mid 20th century.

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
[5) Sequence: I'm no longer in the choir, so I'm not sure. Is Pentecost the Laude Sion or something else? I suspect that it happened (done by cantor and/or choir) at the trad music masses and didn't at the contemporary music ones]

Lauda Sion is the sequence for Corpus Christi.

Veni, Sancte Spiritus is the sequence for Pentecost (text here in Latin and English).

quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:
Certainly, the following days are called Whitsun Monday and Whitsun Tuesday, and the whole week being called Whitsuntide, which seems to support this latter reading. Otherwise it would be Whit Monday, and so forth, which, in my experience at least, only appears in secular terminology but not in the names of liturgical days.

I have never heard of Whitsun Monday. Where I live, it was always Whit Monday and Whit Tuesday, (BCP1928, p. xxiv-xxv) (There was no "Whit Wednesday") or Monday in Whitsun Week and Tuesday in Whitsun Week (BCP1928 pp. 183-185).

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

quote:
Lauda Sion is t'he sequence for Corpus Christi.

Veni, Sancte Spiritus is the sequence for Pentecost.

Very close in time, so I'm not surprised I confused them.

Not to mention that we do a modern English setting of the Lauda Sion which really irritates me on a lot of levels (musical, translation, liturgical), so it unfortunately sticks in my mind.

Posted by Low Treason (# 11924) on :

1) The red vestments etc although I didn't notice anyone else wearing it.

2) No flowers.

3) We don't do That Sort Of Thing [Disappointed]

4) Most certainly we did

quote:
Originally posted by Mockingbird:
quote:
Certainly, the following days are called Whitsun Monday and Whitsun Tuesday, and the whole week being called Whitsuntide, which seems to support this latter reading. Otherwise it would be Whit Monday, and so forth, which, in my experience at least, only appears in secular terminology but not in the names of liturgical days.

I have never heard of Whitsun Monday. Where I live, it was always Whit Monday and Whit Tuesday, (BCP1928, p. xxiv-xxv) (There was no "Whit Wednesday") or Monday in Whitsun Week and Tuesday in Whitsun Week (BCP1928 pp. 183-185).
Yes, 1549 and 1552 refer to Monday & Tuesday in Whitson Weke. 1662 refers to Monday and Tuesday in Whitsun week. Warren's translation of the Sarum Missal adopts this as well, presumably because it was the common terminology. The Plainchant Gradual (from Wantage) refers to Whitsun Monday and Whitsun Tuesday, presumably as an abbreviation for the more common Monday &c. in Whitsun Week), and Pentecost is actually reffered to as Whitsun Day, with just that division. Until your post above, I had never encountered Whit Monday outside of common reference to walks of witness.

I was at a lovely Pentecost Confirmation here in London this evening. A rather happy clappy Catholic Church.

Entrance: Sing of the Lord's goodness, Father of all wisdom
Gloria: Salazar
Gospel Acclamation: Zimbabwe Mass
Procession with the Gifts: Let us talents and tongues employ
Sanctus/Memorial/Doxology/Amen: Gathering Mass
Agnus Dei: Peace I leave with you my friends
Communion 1: Listen, let your heart keep seeking
Communion 2: Spirit of the Living God (Matt Redman Commissioning song)
Exit Song: We are marching in the light of God

Max.

I showed willing this morning and wore my red chimere for Matins, and the bright red set my wife made for Holy Communion. One member of the congregation wore RED.

No other funny business, but the attendance was a bit thin. Maybe I should not have given them the incense warning last week. Actually, I think the fact the weather is still nice may have had more to do with it. It is about 75F and sunny here which is usually cool for late May.

PD

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

quote:
Do you have:
1) A request to wear red
4) Praise music

1) The Minister did a congregational survey. Not many succeeded. Not even the Minister.*

2) No.

3) No.

4) Being a Methodist-origin United Church congregation who use Voices United, we do praise music every Sunday. Especially now that the new minister is a happy-clappy vestment-hating sort.

*He only stopped wearing t-shirts to Sunday Worship when the Session threatened to revolt against him.

quote:
Originally posted by PD:
No other funny business, but the attendance was a bit thin. Maybe I should not have given them the incense warning last week.

You warned them that you wouldn't be using incense today? No wonder so many of the regulars did turn up. [Biased]

We had a good Pentecost, though we had a lot of late people tpday.

Entrance: Spiritus Domini replevit Orben Terrarum , introit, Come oly Ghost, creator Blest, hymn.
Gloria: Missa Secunda, ans Leo assler
Alleluia: Mode VIIa,Graduale simplex.
Sequence:Veni Sancte Sancte Spiritus, Gregorian.
Offertory: Confirma hoc Deus, gregorian,
Veni Creator Spiritus, Palestrina/gregorian.
Sanctus and agnus: Missa de Angelis
Communion: Factus est repente and psalm 67, gregorian.
If Ye Love Me, Thomas Tallis.
Recessional: Sing Alleluya, Priase the Lord.
Fugue from the Dorian Toccata and fugue as the postlude.

No offence Silas... but I'm glad I didn't go to your Church.

Max.

Posted by chiltern_hundred (# 13659) on :

Wearing red: as my red shirt was in the wash, I wore red socks in honour of the Holy Ghost this morning. Another young man at Mass was wearing red socks too, but I didn't get the chance to ask if this was deliberate and/or symbolic.

quote:
Originally posted by Max.:

I rather suspect that the esteemed Carter would say much the same about yours. [Smile]

Posted by Low Treason (# 11924) on :

quote:
We had a good Pentecost, though we had a lot of late people tpday.

Late as in tardy or..... dead? [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by Low Treason:
quote:
We had a good Pentecost, though we had a lot of late people today.

Late as in tardy or..... dead? [Eek!]
Dead. All the Catholic caskets arrived early to get a good seat in the back.

(As to Max's parish, I've been attending far more charismatic masses than you might think.)

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Max.:

Max.

Whereas those of us who love good Church music would've had a fabulous time! Silas, what an amazing menu of beautiful music. <sigh!>

This morning's church - we had a joint service across the four congregations - doesn't have red colours so only the priest wore red - her stole. We had the usual Pentecost readings, suitable hymns and I encouraged two selected volunteers to illustrate the talk with a balloon race up the aisle, wafted by fans.

Posted by Grouchy Granny (# 14813) on :

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. No
My granddaughter was baptised this morning. As organist, I got to pick the hymns. We are a small, fairly high church group of Episcopalians. Her parents requested that I not use any praise music. [Smile] We had a wonderful, traditional service, without incense. No red wearing, except for the priests. One did ask me why I didn't wear red.

quote:
Some say that the name of the feast is Whit Sunday, and that this reflects white baptismal garments. There is ndeed an Old English term hwīta sunnandæg, which means White Sunday.

However, the liturgical books do not seem to support this reading. There is evidence to suggest that the name has nothing whatsoever to do with colour but that it is actually Whitsun Day, whitsun/wisdom/wit traditionally being seen an outpouring of the Holy Spirit.

Certainly the author of the Saxon Chronicle (D) seemed to understand the word as "white Sunday":
quote:
And Ealdred arcepiscop hig [Matilda] gehalgode to cwene on Westmynstre on hwitan sunnan daeg.
That doesn't mean the author was right, just that that was how he understood the word.

Likewise the occurrences of the word in Laȝamon's Brut seem consistent with "white Sunday"
quote:
That al his folc swa swithe muri     come to Amberes-buri.
Al his drihtliche uolc     to White-sunedæie.
Thider com Aurilie the king    and al his folc mid him.
a Whiten-sunendæie    he ther waerf makede,
alse ich the wulle telle    a thisse boc-spelle....
Al than on Whitensunendæie    the king a than uelde læi.
hæt halgien the stude     the hæhte Stanhenge.

So until better information comes along, I will hold to the view that "white Sunday" is the etymology of Whitsunday, and that Whitsun is simply an adjectival contraction of Whitsunday.

[ 31. May 2009, 23:57: Message edited by: Mockingbird ]

Posted by ChaliceGirl (# 13656) on :

We had red flowers, red hangings inside and outside the church, appropriate hymns.
The priest wore his red chasuble.
I never heard of lay people wearing red for this. Is that a tradition in other churches?

quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:
We had red flowers, red hangings inside and outside the church, appropriate hymns.
I never heard of lay people wearing red for this. Is that a tradition in other churches?

I think we are watching tradition in the making right now. (Martin considers wearing "Tough Guys wear Pink" T-shirt on Gaudete and Laetare...)

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

(MartinL - [Killing me] )

When I got up to make an announcement today it was a veritable sea of red shirts and dresses. Very festive. What I appreciated even more was the way that people showed their support for something new [or old/new, depending on your point of view] and got into the spirit of things.

The children were wonderful walking in with their red, yellow, and orange streamers during the processional hymn. We did two other things that were a little edgy for us: An adapted reading from Acts 2, in a narrative style, was done by one of our high school students. The assembly was asked to do various responses to the words "fire," "wind," and "spirit." A strict liturgist may have objected to the adaptation and to the somewhat dramatic delivery, but it was quite powerful. (Rest assured the Gospel reading was by-the-book.) We also used a somewhat different setting for the Reaffirmation of Baptismal Vows. The children joined the processional to the font and asked the questions of the assembly, phrased as "Do we believe in God?" (etc.). It was also quite powerful to see that exchange between children and adults; there was definitely an enhanced feeling of community during a piece of the liturgy that tends to get somewhat rote. The children were stellar and our rector was very generous with the water during the asperges, to the delight of all the young'uns.

[ 01. June 2009, 03:45: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:

I think we are watching tradition in the making right now. (Martin considers wearing "Tough Guys wear Pink" T-shirt on Gaudete and Laetare...)
I have a pink shirt that I put on precisely twice a year.

There actually were more the the usual number of people in red shirts this morning, but not overwhelmingly so. I was not among the number (not out of protest, I just didn't think of it when getting dressed).

We had a lot of people in red too, but I'm not sure how much was deliberate. Music was:
Introit: Come down, O love divine
Gradual: Be still, for the presence of the Lord
Offertory: We have a gospel to proclaim
Anthem: Come down, O love divine - Harris
Communion: O thou who camest from above
Post communion: Walk in the light

[tangent]and the balloon is still up there[/tangent]

That's fair enough, Mockingbird. As I said, it is something for which there has been evidence for both for some considerable time now so just go with which seems right to you. I don't think our fate rests on it. [Smile]

Posted by multipara (# 2918) on :

A double dose here.

Solemn Mass and confirmation of 40 kids at St-Pat's-in-the-west; Spiritus Dominifor the introit, Madame's own Pentecost Sequence (with a nod to Palestrina), Come Holy Spirit (Tye) at the offertory and Ave verum corpus (Elgar) at Comunion.

Solemn Evensong and Benediction with procession at CCSL: Stanford in G, Come down O love divine (Harris) and Te Deum in G of Sumsion.

m

Lovereley!

m

Posted by Saint Chad (# 5645) on :

quote:
That's fair enough, Mockingbird. As I said, it is something for which there has been evidence for both for some considerable time now so just go with which seems right to you. I don't think our fate rests on it. [Smile]

Quite, 'though I tend more towards Whitsun and wisdom.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

OOoookay, very nice ordination, Big Paul in his best red chazzie and a small sea of assisting clergy in red stoles, plus one or two in scarves. Myself crucifer and given the task of training two small girls as acolytes an hour before the service, they having never served before... [Help] which actually worked out very well!

Music - well, very nice, but... Come Down oh Love Divine to Harris! This is what happens when you miss the morning service which had the Real Tune.

It meant I missed most of the Pride march which was a bit of a nuisance. Plus side - good spread afterwards. Down side - we finished at gone five and they still only provided soft drinks. [Confused]

Posted by Franco-American (# 9175) on :

I attended St. Mahalia's novus ordo Latin mass. As usual, the congregation did not sing hardly any of the chants or any of the hymns. Two oddities. The first was the substitution of Veni Creator Spiritus for Veni Sancte Spiritus. Presumably, this was done because the former is in the Adoremus Hymnal and the latter is not. Much more oddly, the pastor wore red episcopal gloves at the beginning of the service. I do not think that Chaplains of His Holiness are normally entitled to wear them. I did not get a chance to ask him what the deal with the gloves was.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

We wear red (choir robes) every week. Except at Pentecost (the open air ecumenical service is open to all, but the choir are not required to attend as a choir). For several years now, the music has been rather loud. Amplifiers, microphones, etc. And rather strangely - when the dates combine - accompanied to the toots and whistles of the neighbouring Steam Fair.

However, I was away this year, attending a church with rushes strewn on the floor, posies in the pews and a big procession.

Posted by Hooker's Trick (# 89) on :

The Church of Modern Mattins passed round special badges to remind people to wear red on Whitsun Day. I would not put it past that place to have had red streamers.

The Cathedral of the Bendy Poles, which can generally be counted upon to embrace liturgical whackery, had streamers AND liturgical dancers last year.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
OOoookay, very nice ordination, Big Paul in his best red chazzie and a small sea of assisting clergy in red stoles,...

Our paths must have crossed! Good service, with a good sermon and a friendly feel about the whole thing. I had to raid the Cathedral's dressing-up box for a red stole, however, having left mine behind in the car. Duh!

© Ship of Fools 2016