Thread: Purgatory: Why Dogma? Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000926

Posted by KHANDS (# 17512) on :

If one accepts that the true value of religious participation (setting aside the practice of a personal spirituality) is in the efficacy of the ritual as religious scholars such as Karen Armstrong would suggest, then, wouldn't it be reasonable to dismiss a literal acceptance of dogmatic beliefs (biblical inerrancy, virgin birth, resurrection,etc.)? Why not instead focus on the teachings of Christ; tend to the least able among us. Dogmatic beliefs only serve to create a picture of Christianity most non-Christians find ludicrous.

I look forward to your responses to this question as I anticipate the possibility of being relegated to Hell for such a blasphemous suggestion.

[ 10. April 2013, 06:03: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Posted by Hairy Biker (# 12086) on :

but of course. But we are only human - our religion can only be what we make it.

Posted by EtymologicalEvangelical (# 15091) on :

I'm afraid I can't see why it is 'reasonable' to dismiss the virgin birth and the resurrection (especially the resurrection). If non-Christians find these doctrines ludicrous, then that is no different from the Amish finding television ludicrous. Should we therefore argue that, in order not to offend the Amish, we should consider it 'reasonable' to take our TV's to the tip?

I don't base my beliefs on what non-Christians find acceptable. If I did that, I would not be a Christian, but logically a non-Christian.

Posted by W Hyatt (# 14250) on :

Shouldn't the efficacy of religious ritual include inspiring us to apply the teachings of Christ and tend to the least able among us?

Dogmatic beliefs may serve to create a picture of Christianity most non-Christians find ludicrous, but they also serve to teach us that there is more to life than what is superficially apparent. If all we can conceive of is an abstract, distant God and a set of rules to guide our behavior, then how do we avoid the hypocrisy of just going through the motions? Isn't the goal an internal transformation as much as a transformation of our outwardly apparent behavior? Dogma gives us the reasons behind the rules and so gives substance to our religious participation.

Posted by Mark Betts (# 17074) on :

I don't see any reason to call you to Hell for asking that, and you're not the first to suggest such things.

But if you believe in the efficacy of ritual (as I do), then liturgy is tied in with that. The virgin birth, the Resurrection etc are all part and parcel of the liturgy, so if you just go through the motions without believing it, say because you like the aesphetics, then you are not really partaking in the rituals at all.

Oh wait...
**[[PAUSE]]**

Maybe I need to check out who Karen Armstrong is first.

All I can gather from the Wiki article is that she is much more liberal than when she started out, but that doesn't really explain much.

Perhaps you could expand on what she is suggesting a little?

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
I'm afraid I can't see why it is 'reasonable' to dismiss the virgin birth and the resurrection (especially the resurrection). If non-Christians find these doctrines ludicrous, then that is no different from the Amish finding television ludicrous. Should we therefore argue that, in order not to offend the Amish, we should consider it 'reasonable' to take our TV's to the tip?

I don't base my beliefs on what non-Christians find acceptable. If I did that, I would not be a Christian, but logically a non-Christian.

This. With bells on.

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

Khands

The logical end point of your suggestion is the atheist church, currently under discussion on another thread. It remains to be seen whether the idea catches on, but it's not the first time it's been tried, and previous attempts, in the UK at least, haven't lasted very long. British Unitarianism, which is no longer Christian, is now a tiny movement.

These fellowships will continue to exist in a small way if some people find them healthy and supportive, and that's well and good, but there's little sign that mainstream Christianity would benefit by moving in this direction.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
Originally posted by KHANDS:
If one accepts that the true value of religious participation (setting aside the practice of a personal spirituality) is in the efficacy of the ritual as religious scholars such as Karen Armstrong would suggest, then, wouldn't it be reasonable to dismiss a literal acceptance of dogmatic beliefs (biblical inerrancy, virgin birth, resurrection,etc.)? Why not instead focus on the teachings of Christ; tend to the least able among us.

If we accept that the separation of ritual on the one hand and dogmatic beliefs is an instance of a harmful dualism to be transcended, then why would we not focus on all three, ritual, ethical teachings, and doctrine?

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

khands

You haven't really explained your point, and it strikes me as something of a non sequitur in any case. If one values ritual, why would that lead to a dismissal of certain Christian ideas?

You also use the word 'reasonable' which is a bit puzzling. Why is it reasonable to dismiss the virgin birth? Do you mean because it contradicts naturalism?

I think probably quite a lot of people are not sure about such doctrines, or have reservations about them, or just don't know, but to talk about dismissal is very strong. You need to explain why.

Posted by Zach82 (# 3208) on :

quote:
If one accepts that the true value of religious participation (setting aside the practice of a personal spirituality) is in the efficacy of the ritual as religious scholars such as Karen Armstrong would suggest, then, wouldn't it be reasonable to dismiss a literal acceptance of dogmatic beliefs (biblical inerrancy, virgin birth, resurrection,etc.)? Why not instead focus on the teachings of Christ; tend to the least able among us. Dogmatic beliefs only serve to create a picture of Christianity most non-Christians find ludicrous.

It would be reasonable only if the only important thing was to behave ethically. Yet the Christian Faith proposes that a right relationship God is not only an important thing, but the most important and vital thing in all the world. Indeed, the proposition is that a moral life is completely impossible without the grace of the God encountered in Jesus Christ.

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

Accepting the authority of the teachings of Jesus is premised on a particular understanding of who Jesus is.

The distinction between orthodoxy and orthopraxis that some people trod out in order to justify a reduced emphasis on dogma ignores the utter question, "how do we measure what orthopraxis is?"

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

quote:
If one accepts that the true value of religious participation (setting aside the practice of a personal spirituality) is in the efficacy of the ritual as religious scholars such as Karen Armstrong would suggest, then, wouldn't it be reasonable to dismiss a literal acceptance of dogmatic beliefs (biblical inerrancy, virgin birth, resurrection,etc.)?

First, the true value of Karen Armstrong talking out of her ass would remain to be determined. Second, even if we consider this statement to be estimable for the sake of argument, then efficacy still requires dogma. A ritual that does not point to some valued truth or the other is not going to move anyone into action. As we see in your next ill-considered rhetorical move:

quote:
Why not instead focus on the teachings of Christ; tend to the least able among us. Dogmatic beliefs only serve to create a picture of Christianity most non-Christians find ludicrous.

In case you didn't notice, you first sentence precisely proposes exegesis and dogma. You made a statement about Christ's teachings, presumably extracted from the bible, and elected one of them as particularly important. As a matter of fact, you even gave us your version of religious authorities - namely non-Christians inspired by the Zeitgeist.

But, do-gooding on its own isn't a religion, as much good as it may do. You can consult Christ's two great commandments on that.

Posted by Desert Daughter (# 13635) on :

looking at history, it cannot be denied that dogmata have danger potential. But, on a phenomeological level, they are a necessary part of any paradigm, religious or otherwise (look around for dogmata in your respective daily business life, in your nation states, etc!)

This being said, one would think that a reasonable way to deal with dogmata is accept them for what they are, without fixing them directly; Clinging to a dogma and fixing one's gaze on it tends to be unhealthy. A dogma is a trellis, on which to grow, or the famous finger pointing to the moon.

Truly enlightened religion would not need dogmata. But unfortunately there is no such thing.

Again, I think the problem starts when giving dogmata centre stage. No dogma can be life-giving when moved there.

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

KHANDS - it MUST be BOTH my friend. Inclusion means of tradition, conservatism, even excluding distinctives. We must bear one another's burdens. We who think we are strong must carry the PRECIOUS weak. Even in their rejection of us.

Posted by Macrina (# 8807) on :

Well, if you ignore the dogma, which really is just a human way of trying to categorise the uncategorisable mystery of Christ's coming in the first place, then you're ignoring the fundamental reason Christ was here and therefore the reason we should pay any attention to what he said.

What, ignoring dogma (what a deliciously ironic concept) means one can't appreciate the uncategorisable mystery of the fundamental reason of the Incarnation and what He said?

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
What, ignoring dogma (what a deliciously ironic concept) means one can't appreciate the uncategorisable mystery of the fundamental reason of the Incarnation and what He said?

Just to clarify, you're asking me if I think you have to believe it all exactly as set out in the Catechism, Articles of faith, Creeds (delete as appropriate) in order to be able to 'get' Christianity and call yourself a Christian?

In that case the answer is no I don't think you do. I think there are hundreds of mystics and saints who didn't have theology degrees. But I think dogma comprises the best answers humans can come up with to explain why we need to be speicifically Christian rather than simply good people so in that sense I think it's important.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

KHANDS

I like your OP. I have long thought that a sort of ideal solution would be to keep the buildings, the organisations, community groups, etc of the CofE, but simply remove God! We could keep the rousing hymn tunes, the routine, even the colourful robes and flowers. *sigh*

Ah, well! [Smile]

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

I think that if someone tries to follow Jesus's teaching without worrying about dogma, they eventually grow into it and discover that the dogma is somehow true.

I realize I may be overstepping my bounds offering these thoughts on a sight identifying itself as Christian, but I do believe there is importance in nurturing spirituality as an element of overall health of any individual.
It seems to me modern Christianity has degenerated into an easy to grasp set of tenets aimed at understandability to the least among us. IMO,Christian practitioners would be better off and more able to relate their spirituality to the rest of mankind if dogmata was grasped metaphorically rather than literally.
Why not reach for the truly enlightened religion Desert Daughter suggests? One without dogmata.

Posted by anteater (# 11435) on :

KHANDS: Like most people I find the OP too simplistic. Any teacher, and we could include Marx alongside Jesus, has a certain view of reality and how it works, and how best to live in such a way as to get the best out of how life works. They will make specific suggestions, but typically these would only be expected to work if their view of reality was correct.

So Jesus' largely negative view of wealth is based on the consideration that it leads people away from the Kingdom of Heaven, it being harder for a camel . .you know the rest. If all this dogma about the Kingdom of heaven is bullshit, why ever would I want to take Jesus' view of wealth?

You could try a new secular dogma, that wealth is unjust, even a form of robbery, or a character detroying addiction: and if I now believe your new dogma, then I'm back to the negative view of riches. But if there is no valid truth (aka dogma) about the danger of wealth, I see no point in giving it away, unless I just happen to want to.

Same with Marx. If his view of economic-political reality is true, certain practices make sense. Otherwise they don't.

Dogma is too much of a bogey word these days. To most kids, evolution is part of the given (=dogma) science that they receive. So YECs like to use the D word, as if calling evolution, or the Trinity a dogma makes it automatically oppressive.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
I don't see any reason to call you to Hell for asking that, and you're not the first to suggest such things.

But if you believe in the efficacy of ritual (as I do), then liturgy is tied in with that. The virgin birth, the Resurrection etc are all part and parcel of the liturgy, so if you just go through the motions without believing it, say because you like the aesphetics, then you are not really partaking in the rituals at all.

Oh wait...
**[[PAUSE]]**

Maybe I need to check out who Karen Armstrong is first.

All I can gather from the Wiki article is that she is much more liberal than when she started out, but that doesn't really explain much.

Perhaps you could expand on what she is suggesting a little?

I would recommend Armstrong's book 'A Case for God' and if you feel really daring read it in conjunction with Christopher Hitchens' ' God is not Great'. Two very different views written with great clarity and intelligence. IMO, these should be required reading for all thoughtful Christians.

quote:
I realize I may be overstepping my bounds offering these thoughts on a sight identifying itself as Christian,

No. And this attitude with its "I'm going to be naughty hahahaha" undertone isn't really required.

I was re-reading Khands' comment about everything being better if it was metaphorical and helpfully remembered Paul on this subject.

1 Corinthians 15:12-19 says it very nicely. If Christ has not been raised then our faith is futile.

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

The religion is what it is, having evolved over two thousand years and continuing to do so. It shouldn't be tailored to suit the zeitgeist, but the zeitgeist will affect its evolution.

What individual Christians take literally or metaphorically or leave open is not as important as whether or not they follow the teaching and example of Christ. I would be very surprised to find a Christian who didn't agree with that.

Posted by Desert Daughter (# 13635) on :

Well said, Raptor! [Overused]

As the verbal teaching is metaphoric, enigmatic, oracular, turns all alien cultural preconceptions of the time against themselves, what's left is the example.

Can we agree on what that was? And how transferable is it to our alien culture?

Can we be racist like Jesus was?

Or do we have deconstruction to do even of His example, let alone His verbal teachings.

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
What individual Christians take literally or metaphorically or leave open is not as important as whether or not they follow the teaching and example of Christ. I would be very surprised to find a Christian who didn't agree with that.

I don't agree with it, because it is basically self-contradictory. The process of "taking literally or metaphorically or leaving open" is nothing but the inevitable intellectual engagement necessary to "follow the teaching and example of Christ". The idea that one can somehow separate these is just plain delusional. Our new friend KHANDS, for example, is rather dogmatic in his anti-dogmatism. Just because he apparently reduces the gospel to being nice to each other does not mean that he is at a loss what a Christian must be like and do. His exegesis is pants and his dogma is trite, buy they are as definitive as any ex cathedra of Rome.

There is a simple principle at work here. One cannot be an ...ian/ist without holding fast to some dogma. Because in order to be identifiable as ...ian/ist, one must be distinguishable at least in one aspect from non-...ians/ists. And whatever that one distinct aspect may be, it then can be understood as a dogma of ...ianity/ism. The only other possibility is to not be an ...ian/ist.

Personally, I regret deeply that so few dogmas are available. What could be better than having access to more definitive truth? It seems to me that anti-dogmatism is merely a proxy for a fight about authority. Dogmas are fine, as long as they are mine...

Posted by Bullfrog. (# 11014) on :

quote:
If one accepts that the true value of religious participation..wouldn't it be reasonable to dismiss a literal acceptance of dogmatic beliefs...

Must acceptance be literal?

Posted by Bullfrog. (# 11014) on :

quote:
It seems to me modern Christianity has degenerated into an easy to grasp set of tenets aimed at understandability to the least among us.

So, what's your understanding of the incarnation? Can you grasp it?

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

KHANDS:
quote:
I realize I may be overstepping my bounds offering these thoughts on a sight identifying itself as Christian, but I do believe there is importance in nurturing spirituality as an element of overall health of any individual.
What mousethief said. We aren't delicate flowers, and you'd have to go further than that to seriously ruffle feathers here. There are a number of Christians here who regularly freak more people out with their opinions (often about dogma [Biased] ) than you and your current offering.

I deny Mousethief's assumption that I'm being sarcastic in any way; I simply don't want to offend anyone while at the same time challenging basic Christian tenets.
As I offered earlier I believe spiritual engagement to be an essential human endeavor.
Some of you have suggested most Christians find following Jesus' humanitarian direction fundamental to your religious engagement. From my perspective, viewing the political maneuverings of the Christian Right in the US, I really don't see the adherence.
So, it makes me think that a mind set of holier than thou (Jesus is my savior, I'm just a humble servant, accept the lord or perish)-the exclusivity of the perspective-is truly wrong-headed. Christians would serve the earth and mankind more effectively by dropping the beliefs that make one a 'Christian' and embracing the teachings of Christ.

quote:
I deny Mousethief's assumption that I'm being sarcastic in any way; I simply don't want to offend anyone while at the same time challenging basic Christian tenets.
As I offered earlier I believe spiritual engagement to be an essential human endeavor.
Some of you have suggested most Christians find following Jesus' humanitarian direction fundamental to your religious engagement. From my perspective, viewing the political maneuverings of the Christian Right in the US, I really don't see the adherence.
So, it makes me think that a mind set of holier than thou (Jesus is my savior, I'm just a humble servant, accept the lord or perish)-the exclusivity of the perspective-is truly wrong-headed. Christians would serve the earth and mankind more effectively by dropping the beliefs that make one a 'Christian' and embracing the teachings of Christ.

I try to embrace the teachings of Christ. I also believe that Jesus Christ is God, and he is the creating Word who made the Sun, the stars, and the earth.

I follow the way of Christ because he is God. The beliefs ABOUT Christ support the teachings OF Christ.

[ 28. January 2013, 00:37: Message edited by: Anglican_Brat ]

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

quote:
Dogmatic beliefs only serve to create a picture of Christianity most non-Christians find ludicrous.

This is a dogmatic belief.

Posted by Bostonman (# 17108) on :

quote:
Christians would serve the earth and mankind more effectively...

Why should Christians' goal be to serve the earth and humankind rather than to love God and neighbor?

By analogy, I can say that the government could improve its profit margin if it cut off Social Security benefits at age 70, but that's pretty much beside the point: the goal of government is not to make a profit, nor is the goal of Christians to serve the earth; that service is a byproduct of our faith.
quote:
...by dropping the beliefs that make one a 'Christian' and embracing the teachings of Christ.
Why would any Christian accept the claim that Christ taught nothing of what we believe about him, or about God, or about the way things work? We believe that "the teachings of Christ" and "the beliefs that make one a 'Christian'" are one and the same.

What you pretty clearly mean is that we should drop our beliefs about Christ and adopt Christ's moral teaching alone, or something. But why on earth would you pick out a sub-set of his teachings as being important, and—moreover—why on earth should we accept anyone's judgment in doing so? It's amazing what an anti-holistic approach this is.

Posted by gorpo (# 17025) on :

Oh well, if people in a secular country find the beliefs of christians to be ludicrous, why don´t they just embrace the gift of living in a secular society and stay away from the churches that preach those ludicrous stuff? It´s not like anybody is forcing them to come.

But if one who denies those ludicrous beliefs still finds the ritual and the community sense to be meaningful, then why not build their own communities without beliefs instead of telling what the existing communities should do? Why don´t they stay in the pews instead of trying to become pastors and priests of a religion in which they don´t believe?

Most of all, whenever I see liberals sugesting what the church should do to remain relevant, I have to laugh hard. [Killing me] Look what churches like the ELCA or EPCUSA, or any of the scandinavian lutheran churches are doing since decades to "stay relevant" and just look at the pathetic results. It´s not like the youth or the secular society is barely interested in their rituals.

quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:

What you pretty clearly mean is that we should drop our beliefs about Christ and adopt Christ's moral teaching alone, or something. [/QB]

Or, more accurately, to cherry pick the bits of Jesus teachings that are compatible with modern liberal agenda and forget about all the rest.

But if we have to choose which bits are relevant and which are not, then we don´t need a Lord at all. We should just believe whatever we want to, and the whole "follow the teachings of Christ" would be bollocks.

Suppose I love weddings and wanted to have one myself. Only problem is that I don't have a partner. So I throw a wedding for myself.

Now I imagine some people would come just for the heck of it and it does seem like a bright idea. But others would question the value of a wedding, the value of a ritual if it was devoid of any deeper meaning.

Christian liturgy from the simple to the ornate, is an expression of the Church's love for God. The reason for example, that cathedrals are built in splendor and beauty is that its builders wanted to demonstrate the depth of their love for God. Yet even the greatest cathedral built is only a tiny drop in the infinite love of God towards creation.

quote:

Like I said, this is only tenable if knowing God isn't really that important. That is not what Christians believe. So far as Christians are concerned, humanity's presumption it can live without God is the whole problem.

While I'm paddling this canoe...

“Jesus does not give recipes that show the way to God as other teachers of religion do. He is Himself the way.” Karl Barth

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
I try to embrace the teachings of Christ. I also believe that Jesus Christ is God, and he is the creating Word who made the Sun, the stars, and the earth.

This is a bit of a tangential question, I suppose, but I wonder how you reconcile that belief with the knowledge of the vastness of the universe and what it'smade of etc?

Posted by Evangeline (# 7002) on :

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
quote:

This is a bit of a tangential question, I suppose, but I wonder how you reconcile that belief with the knowledge of the vastness of the universe and what it'smade of etc?
Not speaking for ANglican Brat but I find it entirely reasonable that an infinite God would create a vast universe that is full of incredible things, many of which are at the moment anyway, beyond our comprehension. There are a great many things in religion generally and Christianity specifically that I find more difficult to reconcile than that.

What is it about a vast universe of stars, galaxies, black holes etc that you find incompatible with a creator God?

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
What is it about a vast universe of stars, galaxies, black holes etc that you find incompatible with a creator God?

I assume she is more worried about attributing this to Jesus Christ, the man. That is fair enough, the Incarnation is a central mystery of the Christian faith. Without faith Anglican_Brat's statement makes no sense at all.

And that brings us neatly back to the OP. Dogma does not destroy, it protects religious mystery. Or at least it should and as far as traditional Christianity is concerned, does. Only few doctrines are dogma, after all, and they are quite generally of the kind that stumps the non-believer.

quote:

I can see that you are sincere about your beliefs. I'm not sure if they could be classed as 'dogmatic', but perhaps we might call them doctrinal, and representative of your own faith, and all unevidenced.

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

This is a bit of a tangent, but may I say welcome Khands? It's good to have you aboard - and such a pleasant change to have someone who can be polite while raising a controversial topic!

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

quote:

She thinks religion and science are incompatible.

Can't get over the false dichotomy.

[Snore]

Posted by Yorick (# 12169) on :

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Only few doctrines are dogma, after all, and they are quite generally of the kind that stumps the non-believer.

Okay, I'll play. Stump me, IngoB!

quote:
quote:

This is a bit of a tangential question, I suppose, but I wonder how you reconcile that belief with the knowledge of the vastness of the universe and what it's made of etc?
The vastness of the universe testify to the incredible power of the eternal Word to sustain and uphold the cosmos. Athanasius in his treatise, On the Incarnation of the Word ponders the mystery that the Word can both simultaneously become flesh in the person of Jesus and also eternally sustain the universe at the same time.

The belief that the Word created the cosmos is not a question really of "how the universe came to be", but "why the universe was created." It was created as a result of the reciprocal love between Father and Son in the Godhead. The Father willed the Creation and the Word, in loving response, fulfilled the Father's will and brought all things into being. The reason for the wonder and complexity of the universe is simply put, that it was made by and through love.

And that is an example of the beauty of Christian "dogma."

Dogma ultimately deals with meaning and how meaning shapes our lives. Science answers the question of "how" while faith and belief attempt to answer the question of "why." And that is why dogma has its place because human beings need to at least investigate the answer of "why".

[ 28. January 2013, 10:21: Message edited by: Anglican_Brat ]

quote:
... I find it entirely reasonable that an infinite God would create a vast universe that is full of incredible things...

I find it slightly depressing how people find things to be entirely reasonable based on entirely unreasonable premises. Like, for example, the premise that God is 'infinite'. What does that even mean?

If this is too tangential, I'll start a new thread on it, because I've heard it said many times in different contexts.

[ 28. January 2013, 10:29: Message edited by: Yorick ]

Posted by shadeson (# 17132) on :

Originally posted by KHANDS
quote:
Christians would serve the earth and mankind more effectively by dropping the beliefs that make one a 'Christian' and embracing the teachings of Christ.
If you are referring to the moral and social aspects of Jesus' teaching, this attitude would reduce Jesus to a teacher of social behaviour.

The power of Jesus to change lives lays in the acceptance of Jesus as God himself and the start of a personal relationship with him.

As for all the rest of the stuff that is hung onto Christianity - dogma, as you call it, I think you can believe as much as you like.

Belief in statements means nothing unless they cause a change in a person - when they then become 'faith'.

The problems with belief arise when we try to teach them as truths to others and say why they must be accepted. How can I tell someone that it is deperately important to believe in the virgin birth in order to be a Christian?

What a Christian comes to believe in the course of their journey with Jesus does not come from theology, but from the Holy Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Only few doctrines are dogma, after all, and they are quite generally of the kind that stumps the non-believer.

Do you understand how God can become incarnate then? If so, please explain it to me, because I sure do not! I merely know that I cannot prove this to be logically impossible. But that it in fact has happened I believe by faith alone, and the precise mechanism is a near complete mystery to me. (And yes, I did try to understand. The more I learned, the more mysterious it became...)

Posted by blackbeard (# 10848) on :

quote:
Originally posted by shadeson:

....Belief in statements means nothing unless they cause a change in a person - when they then become 'faith'.

The problems with belief arise when we try to teach them as truths to others and say why they must be accepted.....

[Overused]
Love this.

One of the difficulties of dogma, it seems to me, is when it goes from "this is what we consider, after much thought, to be right", through "this is the official teaching" through "This is the truth, and if you don't agree, you are WRONG!" and ending up with "You must formally agree to this, and you MUST NOT think about it lest you fall into error and heresy!"
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm completely incapable of seeing a statement on any matter of importance without thinking about it and wondering if it is, in fact, correct (or if it really is that important).

quote:

The power of Jesus to change lives lays in the acceptance of Jesus as God himself and the start of a personal relationship with him.

I'm with you on the power of Jesus to change lives and the Holy Spirit shaboodle, but the "personal relationship with Jesus" language leaves me cold.

Kim Fabricius says it beautifully:

quote:
A “personal relationship with Jesus” – what’s that all about? If it’s equivalent to “faith in Jesus Christ”, fine. But it’s not, is it? It’s a shibboleth that inflates to an unmediated experience of walking and talking with an invisible person, of spending quality time together, and if it doesn’t work out, well, “Down, dooby do, down down”.

In fact, with Luther and Barth, having a “personal relationship with Jesus” could be said to be the opposite of faith, a theologia gloriae, faith being unanchorable in psychology, not a feeling but a self-negation, sub specie crucis.

The phrase itself is hardly biblical; indeed it is quite zeitgeisty, religious coinage in our being-in-a-relationship economy. In fact, talking with people about their “personal relationship with Jesus”, I invariably conclude that they are in the realm of projection and fantasy.

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

Part of what KHANDS states is rather reasonable, and maybe just a little overstated. It's worth saying that the word "dogma" is overused and has the taint of blind acceptance of some authority's idea, which may speak more the motivation of those uttering the dogma that any inherent truth. Might be better to go with words like "belief".

Some dogma has no real consequence for everyday life. Most of the various ideas about Mary, what exactly happens during the consecration of the elements, miracles or powers attributed to saints or popes, etc. If most of the point of Christianity is to try to live following the example of Jesus, with many of the ideas about other aspects less important and able to take care of themselves. It may be that a particular belief enhances the faith of someone, such as meditations on Mary. In that case, there's no need to consider a problem, but also no need to insist on it being necessary.

Posted by tclune (# 7959) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:

I'm with you on the power of Jesus to change lives and the Holy Spirit shaboodle, but the "personal relationship with Jesus" language leaves me cold.

I could agree with this sentiment, but not the ensuing quote. I am not a fan of the phrase, "personal relationship with Jesus." But I think the reality that motivates it is right on target. Until we come to recognize the reality of the living Lord, we really are in the dark. And, once that reality has come to life within us, we are truly alive. As long as Christ is an abstraction, the notion of faith is an odd one, rather like believing in quarks. We may be able to muster the argument, but none of it has any life-changing reality AFAICS.

--Tom Clune

It's ironic, though, that KHANDS himself puts forward a set of beliefs, without any argument or evidence, thus 'spiritual engagement is essential', a mind set of holier than thou 'is wrong headed', Christians should drop their beliefs, and embrace the teachings of Christ.

Maybe the argument is 'true because I say so'!

quote:
quote:
quote:

Do you understand how God can become incarnate then? … the precise mechanism is a near complete mystery to me.
Oh, sorry. When you said there are doctrines that stump the non-believer, I took it that you meant we were confounded by them and unable to offer an explanation. In the example you cite, however, the non-believer is not the least bit stumped, and easily answers that he believes it’s all arrant mystical nonsense. So, we’re in the same position of not-stumpedness.

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
It's ironic, though, that KHANDS himself puts forward a set of beliefs, without any argument or evidence, thus 'spiritual engagement is essential', a mind set of holier than thou 'is wrong headed', Christians should drop their beliefs, and embrace the teachings of Christ.

Maybe the argument is 'true because I say so'!

I'm offering these thoughts as my opinion not as any hard and fast absolutes.
Bostonman: You seem to be confusing the teachings of the man Jesus with the Christ, established after the fact by the Gospel writers and Paul.
Anglicanbrat: The value of the liturgy, music, art, architecture is (or can be) aesthetic in nature and in that way provide considerable solace and beauty, which, I guess, is religious in nature.
IngoB: I offer my signature: belief is truth to the believer.
Robert Armin: Thanks.
Shadeson: Yes. Following Jesus moral teaching makes sense to me; the power of Jesus to change lives fall into the realm of psychology.

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong :

Sorry - that phrase was a cop out from expressing something difficult to express. My relationship with God is through knowing his nature to be that of Jesus. It is definitely a relationship based on sometimes (often?)frustration often wonder and often trying persuasion. I'm often thankful and deeply puzzled. What you would call all this, I don't know.

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

quote:
The value of the liturgy...is (or can be) aesthetic in nature and in that way provide considerable solace and beauty, which, I guess, is religious in nature.

This, of course, deracinates liturgy in such a way as to make mummery of it.

In its nature, liturgy is a bridge from the cosmos to the divine.

Music, art, architecture, solace, and beauty are merely consequences of the mystical interchange—intercourse, commerce, communication—between the created and the uncreated.

[ 28. January 2013, 15:11: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posted by Ronald Binge (# 9002) on :

I like dogma.

Especially the sort of silly bouncy dogma that sticks its head with its tongue hanging out from moving Karma.

quote:
Oh, sorry. When you said there are doctrines that stump the non-believer, I took it that you meant we were confounded by them and unable to offer an explanation. In the example you cite, however, the non-believer is not the least bit stumped, and easily answers that he believes it’s all arrant mystical nonsense. So, we’re in the same position of not-stumpedness.

No. If this is your attitude, then it would rather be correct to say that the believers are stumped, whereas the non-believers are not. Of course, I think your attitude is intellectually lazy, to say the least. But my original point was not at all to insult your mental capacity. Rather, my point was that dogma typically safeguards important doctrines against "common sense", where that "common" includes both believers and non-believers. It is exactly because the Incarnation is common-non-sensical that one needs a dogma to secure it. That was my actual point. (Please note that common-non-sensical is not the same as illogical. But if one listens to a Christian mystery and does not intellectually respond with "WTF?", then one has not understood it properly...)

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:

Is today Professor Irwin Corey day on the Ship? It seem like half the posts I read today are gibberish.

--Tom Clune

quote:
It is exactly because the Incarnation is common-non-sensical that one needs a dogma to secure it. That was my actual point.

Right, okay. Yes, I can go along with that. Thanks for explaining it so honestly.

quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
One of the difficulties of dogma, it seems to me, is when it goes from "this is what we consider, after much thought, to be right", through "this is the official teaching" through "This is the truth, and if you don't agree, you are WRONG!" ....

If you are able to believe something is true, and yet not believe its opposite is false, then you have jettisoned the excluded middle and with it reason itself, and can consequently prove anything and nothing.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
If you are able to believe something is true, and yet not believe its opposite is false, then you have jettisoned the excluded middle and with it reason itself, and can consequently prove anything and nothing.

I have read this five times and still can't understand what you are saying.

quote:
snark from a host:
quote:

[and here is what the snark omitted:]

Music, art, architecture, solace, and beauty are merely consequences of the mystical interchange—intercourse, commerce, communication—between the created and the uncreated.

Is today Professor Irwin Corey day on the Ship? It seem like half the posts I read today are gibberish.
No, I'm thinking its more of a Why Johnny Can't Read Day on the Ship.

deracinate: Uproot

mummery: a ridiculous, hypocritical, or pretentious ceremony or performance

nature: inherent character

So, ya put it all together and ya get: To equate liturgy's essential character with aesthetics is to sever liturgy from its true nature, a link to the divine. This turns liturgy into an empty performance.

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Welcome to my world...

--Tom Clune

quote:
Bostonman: You seem to be confusing the teachings of the man Jesus with the Christ, established after the fact by the Gospel writers and Paul.

What means of access to the teachings of Jesus, un-mediated by Paul and the Gospels, are we supposed to have? These are the earliest documents relating to Jesus; even the "Gnostic" gospels are later.

Did you dig up his diary or something?

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB

It is exactly because the Incarnation is common-non-sensical that one needs a dogma to secure it.

I thought we were taught to love God with .....our minds?

In any case, why is the dogma associated with the virgin birth so neccessary? It's there because of more dogma about God needing a perfect sacrifice. And so on and so forth.

Incomprehensible to the modern mind.

quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
What means of access to the teachings of Jesus, un-mediated by Paul and the Gospels, are we supposed to have? These are the earliest documents relating to Jesus; even the "Gnostic" gospels are later.

Did you dig up his diary or something?

[Overused]

This deserves its own thread, I think.

And, I'm as good as my word. [Big Grin] New thread, if any are interested:

All that miracle crap was added later.

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

quote:
I have long thought that a sort of ideal solution would be to keep the buildings, the organisations, community groups, etc of the CofE, but simply remove God! We could keep the rousing hymn tunes, the routine, even the colourful robes and flowers.

This sounds like, "I love your hair, your skin, your teeth... it's just that the person inside is so annoying! If only you were dead, the rest would be perfect! Then I could still wrap your arms around me..."

To you it seems like admiration; to others, creepy necrophilia.

Don't mind us if we don't join you in your enthusiasm.

quote:
quote:

A) Johnny has stolen the car.
B) Johnny has not stolen the car.

I A is true, the B is false. If B is true, then A is false.

Tertium non datur. (A third [possibility] is not given.) Because proposition A is the negation of proposition B, and vice versa. This is what mousethief refers to with the "excluded middle". Aristotle is the first person known to have discussed this law of logic.

What Ingo said.

quote:
I thought we were taught to love God with .....our minds?

I'm rarely accused of not loving God sufficiently with my mind... it is my heart that I worry about. At any rate, I hardly preach obscurantism here. Quite to the contrary, I do believe that attempting to comprehend God to the best of our individual intellectual ability is an outright duty of a good Christian life. However, this does not mean that God can be comprehended fully, in this life or the next, by a finite intellect. Rather it is the case that where we truly start to see God our ratiocination must break down, just as our eyes must be blinded if we attempt to stare at a supernova from close distance... The point of our intellectual effort is not to pin down God with our concepts. Rather it is to eliminate intellectual idolatry, it is to not stop short of what we are capable of thinking, being content with a false godlet of our own imagination. We must push our mind to where it cannot go any further towards God, then the remaining mystery truly is God, at least to us.

quote:
In any case, why is the dogma associated with the virgin birth so neccessary? It's there because of more dogma about God needing a perfect sacrifice. And so on and so forth.

In what sense are you talking here of "necessity"? It is not absolutely required that a doctrine be crucial for salvation to become dogma (of the RCC), merely that it be true. Anyhow, here are some reasons from the Catechism:
quote:
Mary's virginal motherhood in God's plan

502 The eyes of faith can discover in the context of the whole of Revelation the mysterious reasons why God in his saving plan wanted his Son to be born of a virgin. These reasons touch both on the person of Christ and his redemptive mission, and on the welcome Mary gave that mission on behalf of all men.

503 Mary's virginity manifests God's absolute initiative in the Incarnation. Jesus has only God as Father. "He was never estranged from the Father because of the human nature which he assumed. . . He is naturally Son of the Father as to his divinity and naturally son of his mother as to his humanity, but properly Son of the Father in both natures." [Council of Friuli (796): DS 619; cf. Lk 2:48-49]

504 Jesus is conceived by the Holy Spirit in the Virgin Mary's womb because he is the New Adam, who inaugurates the new creation: "The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven." [1 Cor 15:45,47] From his conception, Christ's humanity is filled with the Holy Spirit, for God "gives him the Spirit without measure." [Jn 3:34] From "his fullness" as the head of redeemed humanity "we have all received, grace upon grace." [Jn 1:16; cf. Col 1:18]

505 By his virginal conception, Jesus, the New Adam, ushers in the new birth of children adopted in the Holy Spirit through faith. "How can this be?" [Lk 1:34; cf. Jn 3:9] Participation in the divine life arises "not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God". [Jn 1:13] The acceptance of this life is virginal because it is entirely the Spirit's gift to man. The spousal character of the human vocation in relation to God [cf. 2 Cor 11:2] is fulfilled perfectly in Mary's virginal motherhood.

506 Mary is a virgin because her virginity is the sign of her faith "unadulterated by any doubt", and of her undivided gift of herself to God's will. [LG 63; cf. 1 Cor 7:34-35] It is her faith that enables her to become the mother of the Savior: "Mary is more blessed because she embraces faith in Christ than because she conceives the flesh of Christ." [St. Augustine, De virg., 3: PL 40, 398]

507 At once virgin and mother, Mary is the symbol and the most perfect realization of the Church: "the Church indeed. . . by receiving the word of God in faith becomes herself a mother. By preaching and Baptism she brings forth sons, who are conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of God, to a new and immortal life. She herself is a virgin, who keeps in its entirety and purity the faith she pledged to her spouse." [LG 64; cf. 63]

And just for kicks, here is St Jerome slamming typical (modern day) Protestant objections to the perpetual virginity.

quote:
quote:

Mousethief has got his terminology incorrect. He meant to say 'you have jettisoned the law of noncontradiction'.
The law of noncontradiction is the claim that you can't assert something and not assert it at the same time (in the same sense). Any attempt to say anything is an attempt, however inadequately and with waving of hands, to say things are this way - and therefore rule out all the possible states of affairs in which they are not this way. And therefore if you then deny it you end up not saying anything.
There is a logical proof, dating back to the middle ages, that if you reject the law of contradiction absolutely everything follows.

You can say something and then deny it as a form of irony - the point there is that you're not denying what you've just said in quite the same sense as you said it, so that the saying and unsaying leave traces behind them.

[ 28. January 2013, 19:15: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

quote:
quote:
One of the difficulties of dogma, it seems to me, is when it goes from "this is what we consider, after much thought, to be right", through "this is the official teaching" through "This is the truth, and if you don't agree, you are WRONG!" ....

I think there is a difference between:
a) 'this is what we consider, after much thought, to be right, and therefore if you don't agree we're logically committed to thinking you are wrong unless you can show us otherwise,' and;
b) 'this is right and therefore if you don't agree we don't have to listen to you because you are WRONG'.

quote:

I put it to you that the Religious Right believe they are embracing the teachings of Christ and that is why they are holier than thou. You and I might think that, for example, Jesus never said don't have sex standing up because it might lead to dancing is not one of the Gospel sayings; but their belief that he would have said it if it hadn't been obvious doesn't depend on any dogma. In fact, it seems to me that the point of believing that Jesus is my saviour is surely to cancel out any holier than thou attitude. (There but for the grace of God go I is supposed to express the opposite attitude.)

A holier than thou attitude is a tough thing and can try to assimilate almost any dogma or ritual or ethical teaching in any religion. But that doesn't make those things pointless. And certainly I don't see that back to the teachings of Jesus has any magic pass. (Leo Tolstoy was a pain to live with.)

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I think there is a difference between:
a) 'this is what we consider, after much thought, to be right, and therefore if you don't agree we're logically committed to thinking you are wrong unless you can show us otherwise,' and;
b) 'this is right and therefore if you don't agree we don't have to listen to you because you are WRONG'.

You've moved the goalposts by adding in "we don't have to listen to you." It becomes an entirely different argument, and nothing to do with what I said.

Posted by Russ (# 120) on :

I think what several Shipmates above are dancing around is the difference between a community having a set of propositional beliefs, and the intensity (or lack thereof) with which these are presented to those individual members who may from time to time come to doubt them.

Having a body of doctrine is one thing. Saying that those who don't 100% subscribe to it will rot in hell seems to me a sizable step beyond.

Other successful voluntary organisations (RSPCA ? National Trust ? ) seem to manage with commitment to an ethical imperative rather than a body of metaphysical statements, so the first question (whether there should be doctrine) is perhaps not as trivial as some have suggested.

But it's the second question - how dogmatically that doctrine should be upheld by those who believe it against those who doubt it - which seems to be more divisive.

On seeing the thread title "why dogma ?" my initial answer was "because children go through a stage when they need to be given a definitive framework". That as they mature towards adulthood they will first rebel against and then reach some sort of accommodation with...

Not setting out to upset anyone - it's a genuine psychological insight.

Best wishes,

Russ

to:
The Silent Acolyte:what empty performance?What could possibly be a greater indication of divine presence than a positive aesthetic experience.

Bostonman: My inclination is to accept Jesus as an insightful humanitarian but suggest his 'god-hood' be attributed to those who put the gospels together. There simply is too much precedence for virgin births, resurrections, etc. in earlier traditions to not see this as a political move to solidify the early church.

[ 28. January 2013, 20:51: Message edited by: KHANDS ]

quote:
Having a body of doctrine is one thing. Saying that those who don't 100% subscribe to it will rot in hell seems to me a sizable step beyond.
No one has said that, though it's been a very frequent accusation. It's enough to clarify our position without rebutting completely imaginary objections.

quote:
On seeing the thread title "why dogma ?" my initial answer was "because children go through a stage when they need to be given a definitive framework". That as they mature towards adulthood they will first rebel against and then reach some sort of accommodation with...

Not setting out to upset anyone - it's a genuine psychological insight.

Not it isn't. It's grade A, smug, condescending, bollocksy bull flop. The ability to view reality coherently and objectively is adulthood, not childishness.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

quote:
to:
The Silent Acolyte:what empty performance?What could possibly be a greater indication of divine presence than a positive aesthetic experience.

Bostonman: My inclination is to accept Jesus as an insightful humanitarian but suggest his 'god-hood' be attributed to those who put the gospels together. There simply is too much precedence for virgin births, resurrections, etc. in earlier traditions to not see this as a political move to solidify the early church.

Liturgy is NOT primarily about aesthetics. It's certainly not about what we the participants feel or get out of it. It is worship with our senses.

And as for Jesus being merely an insightful humanitarian, as CS Lewis famously says, He does not give us that option.

quote:

The mythic parallels argument has been largely discredited because anyone who actually studied the specifics of the Jesus story will realize that the so-called parallels don't make sense. The death and rising motif in mythic stories has to do more with etiological explanations of the changing of the seasons or harvest times. Neither of these are remotely present in the death and resurrection story of Jesus. In the case of the Virgin Birth, most pagan birth narratives usually involve a sexual encounter between a deity and a human woman. But the story of the virgin conception of Jesus does not depict it as a sexual encounter.

quote:
quote:

There has been some discussion on this. While it has, to an extent, explained what you were trying to say, I still can't see what relevance it has to what I said. Maybe it's relevant to something you think I had said, though I can't imagine what.
Can you enlighten us?

quote:
quote:
quote:

There has been some discussion on this. While it has, to an extent, explained what you were trying to say, I still can't see what relevance it has to what I said. Maybe it's relevant to something you think I had said, though I can't imagine what.
Can you enlighten us?

The upshot being that asserting anything is true necessarily implies that every contrary proposition is false, and that the people who believe those propositions are wrong.

In other words what you represent as two "steps" are in fact identical.

Well, yes - but there still doesn't appear to be any relevance to what I originally said.
Have a look at all of it, rather than just the bit quoted.

I'm just going to have to assume that you think I said something which I actually didn't say.

Zach, MT - sorry to double post on this, and I don't know if this makes things any clearer ...

Is your point simply that, if A and B are incompatible, and I assert A is true, then I am thereby asserting that B is false? and that if I am sure A is true, then I can be certain that B is false? (we will assume no middle ground here, and a simple black/white situation)

Well, OK. The reason I can't see the relevance of this point is that I wasn't discussing it. What I was discussing is the way one person, or a group of people, can force an opinion on to another person (or, at least, attempt to). In other words, to be "dogmatic" about something in a rather negative sense. Now you may see this as, not dogma, but an abuse of dogma; OK, so I was discussing, not dogma, but abuse, if you wish to see it that way.

You will of course be familiar with instances where strongly held opinions within the wider church have been met with equally strongly held but different opinions, and this has in some cases led to assent to a specific dogma being enforced by whatever means, sometimes with disastrous consequences. The problem is not necessarily with the dogma being right or wrong, but its enforcement.

To take a more trivial case: I may be convinced of something, and you might not be; I may attempt to persuade, but have no authority to over-ride your opinion, however convinced I might be.

Does that help? or have I misunderstood your position, in the way that (it appears to me) you have misunderstood mine?

And I'm posting far too late at night.

Here's the thing. You gave a progression of thoughts/attitudes, which you presented as going from more acceptable to totally unacceptable. Here they are (cleaned up grammatically):

1. This is what we consider, after much thought, to be right.
2. This is the official teaching.
3. This is the truth, and if you don't agree, you are WRONG!
4. You must formally agree to this, and you MUST NOT think about it lest you fall into error and heresy!

The problem that I have with this is that #1 and #3 say exactly the same thing (granted #3 leaves out the "after much thought" bit). It's not a progression at all.

(a) #2 is a natural step -- why would you make something an official teaching if you thought it was wrong? If you think something is right, and it's important enough, why wouldn't you teach it?

(b) #4 is in fact problematic, but it in no wise follows from #1/#3 or #2.

But I wasn't discussing points (a) or (b) at all, merely pointing out that #1 and #3 are logically indistinguishable.

quote:

You said the value of liturgy was in the aesthetics. I said
quote:

Of course aesthetics follow the divine presence.

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:

Welcome to my world...
I believe one of your fellows is adrift on a sea of surreality. Not quite gibberish, not quite Coreyistic, but not infrequently unmoored from plain speech.

I apologize for lashing out at your expression of frustration.

quote:
quote:

The mythic parallels argument has been largely discredited because anyone who actually studied the specifics of the Jesus story will realize that the so-called parallels don't make sense. The death and rising motif in mythic stories has to do more with etiological explanations of the changing of the seasons or harvest times. Neither of these are remotely present in the death and resurrection story of Jesus. In the case of the Virgin Birth, most pagan birth narratives usually involve a sexual encounter between a deity and a human woman. But the story of the virgin conception of Jesus does not depict it as a sexual encounter.
I'm sure Christian apologists find the parallels discreditable but sound biblical scholarship yields significant commonalities between various early religious beliefs and those associated with the Christ.
But, the point is moot anyway right? These events don't need to be identified as actual physical occurrences since their validity is a matter of faith. Isn't it?

quote:
You've moved the goalposts by adding in "we don't have to listen to you." It becomes an entirely different argument, and nothing to do with what I said.

I think it's what blackbeard means when he implies a distinction between not being right i.e. being wrong, and being WRONG. WRONG and wrong are not the same.

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB : I'm rarely accused of not loving God sufficiently with my mind
Phew! I think I must have trodden on the dogma's tale.

I was not making an accusation but merely pointing out that Jesus made a very significant addition to the most important commandment.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind"

Its very difficult to love God with all our minds and teach irrelevant beliefs as part of Christianinty.

quote:
But I wasn't discussing points (a) or (b) at all, merely pointing out that #1 and #3 are logically indistinguishable.

And, among Vulcans, you would have a point. Among humans, not so much...

Humans rarely discuss truths as an end, they almost always use them as means to some other end. In fact, religious truth is by its nature aimed at some end (in the Christian case, God, or more mundanely, one's salvation).

When you state a proposition, in particular a religious one, people generally do not simply ask "is it true or false?" That would be academic; a mode of discussion I much favor, but not the regular one. Rather they will ask "why do you bring this up?" Or more precisely, "why do you bring this up with me, here and now?" And until that is settled to everybody's satisfaction, the purported truth value of the proposition will be driven by the implied agendas rather than driving them.

Or in other words, just because the filioque is true, and provably so, does not mean that you will accept it - even in a thousand years. [Razz]

quote:
quote:

Excellent. Yes, as far as I can see, this kind of parallelomania has been discredited by scholars, but hangs on on the internet, esp. amongst atheists. They never give any sources for this stuff - rather like the Mithras or Horus-type junk - because there aren't any, except for Dan Brown-type websites, which screech about thousands of dying and rising gods, but usually don't examine just one of them in detail, as then the parallels start to crumble.

quote:
quote:

Thank you, IngoB.

quote:
I'm sure Christian apologists find the parallels discreditable but sound biblical scholarship yields significant commonalities between various early religious beliefs and those associated with the Christ.
It isn't Christian apologists who alone find the parallels discreditable. In historical Jesus scholarship which not every scholar is a raging Christian fundamentalist, I don't know any scholar who takes the mythic parallels theory seriously.

Usually the mythic argument is trotted out by people who have a gripe about Christianity and not serious about examining the issue further.

quote:

But, the point is moot anyway right? These events don't need to be identified as actual physical occurrences since their validity is a matter of faith. Isn't it? [/QB]

Well, if your faith is that God entered into history, that God became human in Jesus Christ, then history does matter.

In addition, most scholars within comparative mythology, and comparative religions, are negative about the 'dying and rising gods' idea.

Let's face it, this idea was developed by Frazer, and Massey, and they were, let us say, very imaginative in their reconstructions.

Atheists hang on to it, as a way of discrediting Christianity, but nearly always, with no discernible scholarship.

It's pretty obvious to me the similarities are there for all to see. The fact is other than anecdotal evidence there is no way to determine absolutely whether the events we're discussing actually occurred physically. Any'historical' record depends on hearsay so ultimately can only be a matter of faith. I refer again to my signature.

quote:
I said
quote:

Nicely poetic. It leads one to contemplate how the cosmos and infinite intertwine.

[ 29. January 2013, 14:10: Message edited by: tclune ]

quote:
It's pretty obvious to me the similarities are there for all to see.

I knew you'd say that - it's true because you say so. Go for it!

Actually, I have it on good authority that my namesake, quetzalcoatl, is very like Christ, and dies and rises, in time-honoured fashion. So I give you the quetzalcoatl-Christ archetypal time-lord!

[ 29. January 2013, 15:03: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

quote:
quote:

Yes, curse me for thinking God's rational creatures, on a board dedicated to rational discussion, should be rational.

quote:
Yes, curse me for thinking God's rational creatures, on a board dedicated to rational discussion, should be rational.

That's one idea of what we're doing here. Here's another.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:

Not setting out to upset anyone - it's a genuine psychological insight."

[ 29. January 2013, 15:31: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

Posted by goperryrevs (# 13504) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:

Not setting out to upset anyone - it's a genuine psychological insight."

I thought that was one of the most pertinent posts on the thread. Kids (and fundamentalists?) need black and white. You can't 'mature' into a more subtle, questioning place without going through a monochrome phase first.

But I do get what mousethief was saying. In reality, there's little difference between "This is right" and "This is right, and (not this) is wrong", apart from perhaps a politeness in the way you phrase it.

Correction to my above post - not only was Christ very like quetzalcoatl, there seems little doubt also that he was a leading astrologer.

Consider this: he picked twelve disciples, to mirror the signs of the zodiac; his sign was the fish, Pisces; remember the 3 wise men, they were in fact, also astrologers; the star of Bethlehem is the conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter, obviously; the morning star mentioned in Revelation refers to Venus; notice how Jesus refers to the 'coming age', a well-known astrological reference; and of course, his birth is celebrated at the winter solstice.

This is all so obvious, that all are convinced!

Posted by Dinghy Sailor (# 8507) on :

quote:

If it's obvious, it will be very easy for you to demonstrate by reference to specific examples. Please do so.

quote:
quote:

Blackbeard's post that kicked off this tangent was attempting to characterise attitudes that are not perhaps perfectly rational, at least according to some conceptions of what perfect rationality is.

We are using natural language, and natural language as Wittgenstein for one pointed out, is used for a large number of purposes. Many of those purposes are not governed by logic at the surface or literal level. In fact, if an utterance is at face value illogical that's often a hint that it's not to be taken at face value.

quote:
It's pretty obvious to me the similarities are there for all to see. The fact is other than anecdotal evidence there is no way to determine absolutely whether the events we're discussing actually occurred physically. Any'historical' record depends on hearsay so ultimately can only be a matter of faith. I refer again to my signature.

It isn't pretty "obvious". I pointed that the agricultural elements in pagan myths are completely absent in the Christian narrative. Jesus did not die in the winter and rise in the spring so he is no Adonis.

Again, I don't know of any modern New Testament scholar, which includes many non-Christians who have no bias in favor of Christianity who takes the "mythic parallels" argument seriously.

quote:
Correction to my above post - not only was Christ very like quetzalcoatl, there seems little doubt also that he was a leading astrologer.

Consider this: he picked twelve disciples, to mirror the signs of the zodiac; his sign was the fish, Pisces; remember the 3 wise men, they were in fact, also astrologers; the star of Bethlehem is the conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter, obviously; the morning star mentioned in Revelation refers to Venus; notice how Jesus refers to the 'coming age', a well-known astrological reference; and of course, his birth is celebrated at the winter solstice.

I believe I sense a bit of sarcasm, Quetzalcoatl.
I think your example of the relationship between the date decided on for the birth of Christ and the ancient pagan solstice celebration reinforces my position and weakens yours. a wiki search will take you there.

quote:
Originally posted by Dinghy Sailor:
quote:

If it's obvious, it will be very easy for you to demonstrate by reference to specific examples. Please do so.
Well to start with virgin birth: there's the Hindu story of Krishna, The Buddha was believed to born of a Virgin, in Egypt we have Horus born of the virgin Isis. Reanimation claims include Osiris (Egypt), Adonis (Greece), Jammus (Mesopotamia) just for starters.

While I'm finding this exchange great fun and I thank all of you for participating it seems to me important to point out nothing's written in stone, there are no absolutes,imo, and I would once again refer you all to my signature.
There can be no winners or losers in a discussion such as this for the simple reason those of us on either side of the debate will not relinquish our positions; there is no possible proof to be had either way. That being said there certainly is value in exercising one's mental faculties.

Posted by Jay-Emm (# 11411) on :

Ok I'm trusting wiki, but a page on such key characters you'd expect be vaguely corrected.

Horus , wiki puts as being after having sex with a golden replacement for her dead husbands missing parts.
On the whole I'd say the differences are more significant. It's interesting that there's a special birth but style totally different, it's taking liberties to call it virgin birth for a start.

Buddha (Siddhartha), has his mother married. Wiki doesn't suggest virgin birth. Although does have signs of destiny (mothers dream). I don't know about other Buddha's or whether there's a significant subset.
There clearly are some similarities in emotions, I'm not sure I'd use one as evidence of construction, and definitely not of common origin.

Krishna on the other hand does bare more similarities. Though some notable differences too.

[ 29. January 2013, 21:24: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

quote:
I think your example of the relationship between the date decided on for the birth of Christ and the ancient pagan solstice celebration reinforces my position and weakens yours. a wiki search will take you there.

A proper wiki search will tell you that the earliest record of the pagan solstice celebration is after the earliest record of the birth of Christ. So it would appear that the pagans copied the solstice celebration from the Christians rather than the other way around.

It was believed by the early church that Jesus was crucified on the same date that he was conceived. It was thought that Good Friday in the relevant year was the twenty-fifth of March. Therefore, they thought Jesus' birthday must have been the twenty-fifth of December. Now if the early Church had been copying a pagan celebration, it's a bit of a coincidence that the calculation worked out so pat.

I thought that the ancient world believed that great men would die on their conception date. I'm not sure that it was only a Jewish idea. But didn't Jews also believe that the date of creation was 25 March?

The biggest difference is that with many of these myths, we are clearly dealing with stories with a "Once Upon a Time" aspect. C.S. Lewis famously criticized people who insisted that the Bible is an allegory by arguing that such critics had no idea what allegory meant as a literary genre.

With the Jesus story, you are dealing with a relatively shorter span of time between the events described and when they were written down. If the Resurrection was plucked out from pagan myths, then it would immediately be rejected by people who could still remember Jesus of Nazareth.

The other thing that strikes me is that these 'dying and rising gods' stories, tend to deJudaize Jesus. That is, they seem to be saying that the Jesus narrative is built up from pagan sources, when surely it is saturated in Jewish imagery, rhetoric, ideas, and stories. Thus the idea of a messiah - is Jewish; the notion of a son of God - is Jewish; the notion of son of man - is Jewish. You can also argue that the Jesus story would become a huge shock to Judaism, but not as a pagan force. After all, very early Christianity was a Jewish sect.

[ 29. January 2013, 23:22: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

The idea of an eschatological resurrection was near and dear to most Jews of Jesus' day. It was the proposition that someone had already been resurrected that would have been surprising.

Posted by Russ (# 120) on :

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
But I do get what mousethief was saying. In reality, there's little difference between "This is right" and "This is right, and (not this) is wrong", apart from perhaps a politeness in the way you phrase it. [/QB]

At the level of individual belief, yes.

But I think what we're talking about here is communal belief - whether a community decides to adopt a corporate position on some particular question, and then what happens when that agreed communal belief is questioned and thought about and discussed by individual members of the community.

To say that a community believes a proposition is making an analogy between individual belief and this corporate acceptance - an analogy which is not perfect.

Best wishes,

Russ

quote:
quote:

I believe I sense a bit of sarcasm, Quetzalcoatl.

Yes, it is sarcastic, but it also has a point. It's fairly easy to make these assertions, Jesus is like Horus/Mithras, Jesus is an astrologer, but to do the hard work of actually demonstrating it, is something else. This is what scholars of comparative mythology and comparative religions do.

Alternatively, you can google 'dying and rising gods', and you find a ton of websites, many cranky and kooky, New Age stuff, astrotheology, and curiously, quite a lot of atheists - all busy making assertions which they don't demonstrate. Don't knock them - they're having fun.

Actually, I have to correct the above post, arguing that Jesus was an astrologer. No, it's obvious when you think about it, that Jesus was a Buddhist. Consider this - we know that Buddhist missionaries travelled widely, and probably reached the Med, and Jerusalem. Thus, Jesus would probably have heard Buddhists preach in the market place. What a thrill that must have been for the young boy!

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, when we look at phrases like 'consider the lilies of the field, how they grow, they toil not, neither do they spin', who can doubt the Buddhist influence here? No doubt you have heard of the famous flower sermon by the Buddha, where he held up a flower in silence?

Now, come on, there is obviously a connection here. There we are, job done. QED. Oh, here's a nice website, just to add flavour.

http://www.thezensite.com/non_Zen/Was_Jesus_Buddhist.html

quote:
There can be no winners or losers in a discussion such as this for the simple reason those of us on either side of the debate will not relinquish our positions; there is no possible proof to be had either way.

True [Smile] but you just never know! One of these days that definitive piece of information might be found one way or the other!
quote:
That being said there certainly is value in exercising one's mental faculties.
Definitely agree.

quote:
While I'm finding this exchange great fun and I thank all of you for participating it seems to me important to point out nothing's written in stone, there are no absolutes,imo, and I would once again refer you all to my signature.
There can be no winners or losers in a discussion such as this for the simple reason those of us on either side of the debate will not relinquish our positions; there is no possible proof to be had either way. That being said there certainly is value in exercising one's mental faculties.

Theology and Biblical studies are academic disciplines, so while there are no "winners" or "losers", there are better and worse arguments.

If course, I can't convince you that God exists, or that miracles occur. But the argument you present that the Christian church simply borrowed from other pagan sources is not a theological argument but a historical one, and thus can be debated on grounds that do not rely purely on "faith."

quote:

Alternatively, you can google 'dying and rising gods',

That's actually not a bad page. Talks about the failings of the whole parallelism debate. Reductionism being the strongest one IMO.

So what if there are similarities between the Jesus story and other ancient stories?

Does that mean the Jesus story is not true because it is not unique?

Is only uniqueness true then?

Raises interesting philosophical questions don't you think?

If we want to go with uniqueness, (in terms of the dying and rising) I understood the Judeo Christian concept of resurrection to be unique in that it was a BODILY resurrection. And that ALL would one day be bodily raised in the general resurrection.

Such is the idea of scholars like NT Wright and Christopher Bryan.

What the whole issue of multiple resurrections and virgin births suggests to me is early cosmologies were closely tied to neolithic agri-cultural developments: the annual death and resurrection associated with vegetative life cycles. The concept was ritualized; pantheistic beliefs evolved into goddess worship-the female principle being particularly significant in terms of fertility/moon cycles.
Over millennia this paradigm becomes so ingrained in the human intellect it attaches itself to any and all thought related to things beyond this world and that includes Christianity.
So, as Kierkegaard so aptly suggests: take the leap into faith in the absurdity of infinite truth; there is no other answer to our existential dilemma.

quote:
What the whole issue of multiple resurrections and virgin births suggests to me is early cosmologies were closely tied to neolithic agri-cultural developments: the annual death and resurrection associated with vegetative life cycles. The concept was ritualized; pantheistic beliefs evolved into goddess worship-the female principle being particularly significant in terms of fertility/moon cycles.
Over millennia this paradigm becomes so ingrained in the human intellect it attaches itself to any and all thought related to things beyond this world and that includes Christianity.
So, as Kierkegaard so aptly suggests: take the leap into faith in the absurdity of infinite truth; there is no other answer to our existential dilemma.

Since you are reducing the infinite to a mere part of human experience, it doesn't seem to me that you understand Kierkegaard very well.

quote:

Although you haven't as yet, as far as I can see, demonstrated that there are multiple resurrections and virgin births, have you?

The rest of your post is similar - assertion after assertion. Show, don't tell.

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

quote:

Except of course that the example we are looking at here comes from Judaism, which had no such tradition. Indeed it celebrated the cycle of the seasons liturgically but entirely separated from such considerations.

Anyway, how is ingraining itself in the human psyche supposed to work in a culture that doesn't have any regard for it? It posits a sort of Lamarckian inheritance which nobody has ever found. Nor are they likely to.

quote:
I don't have an existential dilemma. Everyone was supposed to have one of those in the mid-20th century. We outgrew the need.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dinghy Sailor:
quote:

Well to start with virgin birth: there's the Hindu story of Krishna, The Buddha was believed to born of a Virgin, in Egypt we have Horus born of the virgin Isis. Reanimation claims include Osiris (Egypt), Adonis (Greece), Jammus (Mesopotamia) just for starters.
If we are going to dismiss the stories about Jesus life because they supposedly appear on other god´s biographies, then why should we focus on Jesus teaching then? Of course the teachings have value in itself, but they aren´t unique either. That are many ancient wise men who teached similar things to Jesus´ moral teachings. Why make any Jesus reference, then? If christians no longer believe in Jesus´ story, then they should cease to be christians instead of focusing on Jesus teachings... Of course they can still love, forgive, do good, help the poor, etc, when they´re no longer christian, but none of those things are specifically christian.

quote:
I don't have an existential dilemma. Everyone was supposed to have one of those in the mid-20th century. We outgrew the need.
Well, that's what Christianity is about isn't it. The bottom line of Christian faith is, imo, overcoming the fear of ultimate demise.

Quetzalcoatl: It's pretty clear assertions are coming from both sides of the aisle. Where are your proofs? If you tell me the NT I suggest the ultimate configuration of those writings was done according to an agenda: the Gnostic exclusions change the story quite a bit. I believe it'd be pretty easy to balance scholarship in favor of the Jesus story with research offering legitimate questions.

[ 30. January 2013, 20:57: Message edited by: KHANDS ]

quote:
If we are going to dismiss the stories about Jesus life because they supposedly appear on other god´s biographies, then why should we focus on Jesus teaching then? Of course the teachings have value in itself, but they aren´t unique either. That are many ancient wise men who teached similar things to Jesus´ moral teachings. Why make any Jesus reference, then? If christians no longer believe in Jesus´ story, then they should cease to be christians instead of focusing on Jesus teachings... Of course they can still love, forgive, do good, help the poor, etc, when they´re no longer christian, but none of those things are specifically christian. [/QB]
I don't see why one can't call oneself a Christian and only follow the teachings of Christ without the dogmatic trappings. Sounds like the way to go to me.

quote:
quote:
Well, that's what Christianity is about isn't it. The bottom line of Christian faith is, imo, overcoming the fear of ultimate demise.

Christian faith as the overcoming of the fear of death is mercenary, doing what you are paid to do. Christianity is about the freedom to freely respond to Love.
quote:
...the Gnostic exclusions...

You started out well, KHANDS. I appreciated your willingness to engage with heartfelt questions. But, with "the Gnostic exclusions" you pretty much lay your cards face up on the table. And, there is not much to see.

Edited to add:
quote:
I don't see why one can't call oneself a Christian and only follow the teachings of Christ without the dogmatic trappings. Sounds like the way to go to me.

Knock yourself out. But, until you stop using dogma as a perjorative, you stand in the drafty arena of the Sociology of Religion, and there isn't much possibility of finding Truth.

quote:
If it troubles some people then I imagine they would draw solace from it. It doesn't concern me in that sort of existential way. If I am wrong then I will simply never know about it. What's to worry about?

The problem though with your lists is that they lack judgemental criteria and a sense to which you have considered alternative explanations. A raft of single-sided correlations is just that. They need some sense of pro- and con-. Without that the only possible thing you will demonstrate is Confirmation Bias. All you can ever see is either agreement or something that doesn't address the issue. We all tend to do this of course, but some awareness of how you have screened it out would be needed to be convincing.

quote:
quote:
If we are going to dismiss the stories about Jesus life because they supposedly appear on other god´s biographies, then why should we focus on Jesus teaching then? Of course the teachings have value in itself, but they aren´t unique either. That are many ancient wise men who teached similar things to Jesus´ moral teachings. Why make any Jesus reference, then? If christians no longer believe in Jesus´ story, then they should cease to be christians instead of focusing on Jesus teachings... Of course they can still love, forgive, do good, help the poor, etc, when they´re no longer christian, but none of those things are specifically christian.

I don't see why one can't call oneself a Christian and only follow the teachings of Christ without the dogmatic trappings. Sounds like the way to go to me. [/QB]
But which of Christ´s moral teachings you follow are specifically christian, and not shared with other faiths and secular traditions?

quote:

Christian faith as the overcoming of the fear of death is mercenary, doing what you are paid to do. Christianity is about the freedom to freely respond to Love.[/quote]

the freedom to freely respond to love transcends Christian engagement. Seeking a favorable after-life or avoiding extinction is at the bottom of most religious pursuits, imo.

...the Gnostic exclusions...[/QUOTE]You started out well, KHANDS. I appreciated your willingness to engage with heartfelt questions. But, with "the Gnostic exclusions" you pretty much lay your cards face up on the table. And, there is not much to see.

Please explain.

Edited to add:
quote:

Knock yourself out. But, until you stop using dogma as a perjorative, you stand in the drafty arena of the Sociology of Religion, and there isn't much possibility of finding Truth. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Truth with a capital T? Nice idea but absolutes are imaginary.

quote:
Nice idea but absolutes are imaginary.
Oh, Lord. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
quote:
Nice idea but absolutes are imaginary.
Oh, Lord. [Roll Eyes]
[Overused]

quote:

the freedom to freely respond to love transcends Christian engagement. Seeking a favorable after-life or avoiding extinction is at the bottom of most religious pursuits, imo.

Only if you've been raised in a church with bad theology.

quote:

Truth with a capital T? Nice idea but absolutes are imaginary.

Are you absolutely sure about that? [Razz]

quote:
quote:
quote:

...the Gnostic exclusions...

You started out well, KHANDS. I appreciated your willingness to engage with heartfelt questions. But, with "the Gnostic exclusions" you pretty much lay your cards face up on the table. And, there is not much to see.
Please explain.

You've basically just revealed that you either haven't read any remotely rigorous book on the construction of the NT canon, or else you didn't take it in. There are a couple of fairly minor books that hang around the edge of the canon, but if you think that the NT's meaning be substantially changed by including other books that ever had a hope in hell of making it in there, you're in Dan Brown land.

I think some of you are over-reacting. There's legitimate reason to question the make-up of the NT.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/story/pagels.html

zach 82, mousethief:

ok. I should have said I don't believe absolutes exist. Rather all truths are relative to time, place and thought.

quote:
I think some of you are over-reacting. There's legitimate reason to question the make-up of the NT.

Extra-biblical texts exist, there's no doubt about that. But to bring the NT canon into question they would have to be 1: widely accepted in the early Church period and 2: about as old as the canonical texts. None of the known extra-biblical texts, at least not the ones that differ significantly from the canonical texts, fulfill those criteria. Certainly the Nag Hamadi library doesn't. The Dan Brown version of the Church shouting down dissent and crushing its works from the NT is simply false.

quote:
quote:

I don't see why one can't call oneself a Christian and only follow the teachings of Christ without the dogmatic trappings. Sounds like the way to go to me. [/QB]
You mean the teachings of Christ in the Gospel of John where Jesus claimed to be God (John 8:58)

Or the teaching of Jesus in the Synoptics, where he claimed to forgive sins without reference to the Temple, an implicit claim to divinity.

Or, how about where Jesus accepted Peter's confession that He is the Christ, the anointed one of God?

quote:
zach 82, mousethief:

ok. I should have said I don't believe absolutes exist. Rather all truths are relative to time, place and thought.

It's pretty much the same thing. PASS.

Change would be the only absolute then. [Big Grin]

The Jesus story no doubt was interpreted in different ways to different cultures. It is true that Christians in their attempt to spread the gospel used stories and myths from the cultures in which they were ministering to help make sense of the Jesus story. For some theologians, this strengthened, not weakened the Christian story. Christ was seen as the fulfillment of all wisdom, both pagan and Jewish. If one understands Christ as the Logos, the principle of divine wisdom present at all times and places, then these stories could be evidence for the common longing of the Logos.

But the basic proclamation of Christ's resurrection is radical that it doesn't make sense why the Christians would borrow it from anyone else. The Christian claim is that the crucified Jesus in fact defeated death. Such a claim would have been scoffed by pagans as ridiculous. Classical myth praised heroes, superhuman people and demi-gods who was supreme in strength and power. Jesus was no pagan hero, he died senselessly on the cross. The gods did not raise victims from the dead, only the great Heracles, ascended to Mount Olympus.

The pagans would have scoffed at the Christian claim of resurrection.

quote:
You mean the teachings of Christ in the Gospel of John where Jesus claimed to be God (John 8:58)

Or the teaching of Jesus in the Synoptics, where he claimed to forgive sins without reference to the Temple, an implicit claim to divinity.

Or, how about where Jesus accepted Peter's confession that He is the Christ, the anointed one of God?

Thanks for playing, Anglican Brat; but, Ya got only one out of three here (I yam what I yam!). Without giving an inch to KHANDS, your first is the only hit.
quote:
Larry W. Hurtado. How on Earth did Jesus Become a God: Historical Questions about Earliest Devotions to Jesus. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2005).

Frank J. Matera. New Testament Christology. (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 1999).

are two possible references to help you fix these errors.

The ability to forgive sins is not an implicit claim to divinity. The ability to to forgive sins could have been delegated.

Being the Christ is decisively NOT a claim to divinity. The Jews generally believed that the Messiah would not be God.

quote:
without any actual verbs of his own, KHANDS quotes:
...a link to some shit from Elaine Pagels which he really doesn't understand...

Ya gotta up your game KHANDS; people are losing interest.

quote:
The bottom line of Christian faith is, imo, overcoming the fear of ultimate demise.

I'd have thought it was about loving your neighbour and living in the kingdom of justice and peace.

Of course, if you think the gnostics were right, then it's understandable that you'd think it's all about overcoming your fear of your ultimate demise, and that the loving your neighbour bit is a Pauline corruption.

Reading KHANDS is strangely nostalgic for me, as I used to read all this mythicist/New Age/astrotheological/anti-theist stuff on the interwobbles.

Jesus is like Horus; the Church suppressed the jolly gnostics, and their gospels; the origin of religion lies in the fear of death, and delusional consolations; let's follow the Golden Rule.

Yawn. Think Dan Brown.

[ 31. January 2013, 09:02: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

quote:
Yawn. Think Dan Brown.
Please, Lord, no.

[ 31. January 2013, 09:39: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

Oh but he was so entertaining!

(Ya'll give KHANDS a break wot? He means well and he's a noob.)

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte
The ability to to forgive sins could have been delegated.

Is there any passage in the Bible which mentions such delegating?

Moo

quote:
without any actual verbs of his own, KHANDS quotes:
...a link to some shit from Elaine Pagels which he really doesn't understand...

Ya gotta up your game KHANDS; people are losing interest. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Is this yours SA? I don't see it anywhere else. Pretty harsh. I'd expect better from you than ad hominem dismissals.

I sense an increasing unwillingness to reach across the divide. I guess we're all closed minded (and I include myself)to some degree given our limited capacities to know fully.
I would offer that stepping outside one's comfort zone of belief can never be a bad thing. As I see it skepticism is the path to understanding.
I've enjoyed our exchanges.

Oh, save us from our narrow-minded, dogmatic prison, KHANDS!

Skepticism is fine; that's why I question the idea of 'multiple resurrections and multiple virgin births' as a parallel to Jesus. I am happy to read scholarly research on this, but the usual internet tripe is not scholarly, just parallelomania, often inspired by anti-theism.

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte
The ability to to forgive sins could have been delegated.

Is there any passage in the Bible which mentions such delegating?
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me....” (Mt 28:18)

Posted by Alogon (# 5513) on :

It's one thing to say "I have trouble believing X". That's fair enough. Believing a doctrine is not something to be commanded. Furthermore, we have all had to revise a few beliefs in the light of experience. What reason do those of us who have little trouble believing a doctrine (or saying that we do) have to pat ourselves on the back? What if our acceptance is too facile? Have we led too sheltered an existence? Will a few grim experiences in the future cause us to reject these beliefs as others have done?

But it's quite another matter to say "X is absurd and the church should stop teaching it." This may well be an arrogant insult to the tradition that formed the culture in which we are fortunate to live.

Why should we think that we are smarter than our forebears two thousand years ago? Not Darwinian evolution, surely. According to Darwin, evolution takes ages, at least among organisms with so many years between generations as ours. Humans haven't been exactly selecting for intelligence these two millennia. Rather the opposite, if anything. Stephen Jay Gould, further, disabuses us of an assumption that this trait in which our species excels is any kind of inevitable development. It's just chance, he says: it serves a niche we've found ourselves in; but it is costly, and the time may come when it would be more adaptive to invest in some other trait. What some call dogma others can call a respect for the intelligence of ancient and medieval people. Some of their own accomplishments inspired by their faith still benefit us today and were unique enough in their time to be called miraculous. I would doubt that such insight, discipline, and endurance as they demonstrated could be summoned by merely pretending to believe.

So where does that leave us? I'd suggest it leaves us, if not believing what they believed, at least respecting it, pondering it, and praying, "Help my unbelief."

Coming back to the OP, I guess to follow the teachings without the dogma would be sorta like saying I should remember what my mother taught me and not who she is. Christological Dogma is a meditation on who Jesus is. A Christian who rejects dogma as part of the faith is a person who claims to love Christ but is uninterested in who he is.

[ 31. January 2013, 17:06: Message edited by: Anglican_Brat ]

Posted by Holy Smoke (# 14866) on :

quote:
Coming back to the OP, I guess to follow the teachings without the dogma would be sorta like saying I should remember what my mother taught me and not who she is. Christological Dogma is a meditation on who Jesus is. A Christian who rejects dogma as part of the faith is a person who claims to love Christ but is uninterested in who he is.

Very roughly speaking, the deities of pre-Christian pagan religions were mythical, as were their deeds, and nobody really believed otherwise, at least, not in the more educated classes. On the other hand, the great innovation of Chrisitianity was their claim that their god really did all those things - was born of a virgin, incarnated as a man, performed miracles, rose from the dead, etc. The only problem was that there was no firm evidence that their claims were true, so they said that it all had to be believed out of 'faith', and 'faith' was deemed to be something worth having.

Thus 2000 years later, the conservative Christian still holds to these literal beliefs, and asserts that anyone who wishes to call himself a Christian must do likewise. He will sometimes say that he sees no point in being a Christian unless one believes that Christianity is 'true', as he puts it.

The broad churchman, on the other hand, doubts to a greater or lesser extent the literal truth of some or all of these propositions, and feels that they represent, in a symbolic or metaphorical form, the deeper, inexpressible mysteries of the faith, those same universal truths which are shared with the other great religious traditions, though clothed in different stories, symbols, and deities. He has, therefore, to an extent, re-paganised Christianity, and these days he will likely as not look outside Christianity for his religious and spiritual needs. However, if he decides to stay within Christianity, he will regard the creeds and dogmas as a framework from which to explore, rather than as the be-all and end-all of his faith.

He may privately shake his head sadly when confronted by the conservative, but will generally see the futility of attempting to change his mind, and will even see the value of conservative traditions in preserving the church in the face of the growing tide of secularism. At least, that's how I see it.

quote:
Originally posted by Holy Smoke:

The broad churchman, on the other hand, doubts to a greater or lesser extent the literal truth of some or all of these propositions, and feels that they represent, in a symbolic or metaphorical form, the deeper, inexpressible mysteries of the faith, those same universal truths which are shared with the other great religious traditions, though clothed in different stories, symbols, and deities.

I don´t think that is a description of the majority of real life christians, therefore, it can´t be a description of what the "broad churchmen" thinks. That is only a description of a small fraction of all christians. Even in mainline denominations, the average church goer believes in all the traditional claims about Jesus. The clergy might not, but they will make sure that their parishioners don´t notice it in their sermons. The whole "metaphorical or symbolical" meaning is just mental acrobatics to avoid the feeling of guilty when they talk about stuff they don´t actually believe. I´m yet to hear a preacher telling his parishioners that Jesus body decomposed on the thomb, or that Mary had sex before Jesus was conceived.

Therefore, making it look as if conservative chirsitans who believe in traditional christian dogmas are a small sect behind the broader Church is not a very realistic description of today´s Christianity.

quote:
Originally posted by gorpo:
quote:

The broad churchman, on the other hand, doubts to a greater or lesser extent the literal truth of some or all of these propositions, and feels that they represent, in a symbolic or metaphorical form, the deeper, inexpressible mysteries of the faith, those same universal truths which are shared with the other great religious traditions, though clothed in different stories, symbols, and deities.

I don´t think that is a description of the majority of real life christians, therefore, it can´t be a description of what the "broad churchmen" thinks. That is only a description of a small fraction of all christians. Even in mainline denominations, the average church goer believes in all the traditional claims about Jesus. The clergy might not, but they will make sure that their parishioners don´t notice it in their sermons. The whole "metaphorical or symbolical" meaning is just mental acrobatics to avoid the feeling of guilty when they talk about stuff they don´t actually believe. I´m yet to hear a preacher telling his parishioners that Jesus body decomposed on the thomb, or that Mary had sex before Jesus was conceived.

Therefore, making it look as if conservative chirsitans who believe in traditional christian dogmas are a small sect behind the broader Church is not a very realistic description of today´s Christianity.

Theology doesn't divorce fact and meaning, which is the real reason why religion is counter to Enlightenment thinking.

For the Christian, the Resurrection isn't just about the reanimation of a single dead human body 2000 years ago, it is about the reconciliation of the human race and God, the raising of humanity into divine life, and the defeat of sin and death. So trying to "prove" the Resurrection as a historical fact while missing these deeper theological implications is nonsensical.

The real difference between a liberal and a conservative on theology is, (to oversimplify based on years of observing the ideological conflict between left and right in Christianity)

For the conservative, a theological belief has to have some true factual basis in order for it to have deeper theological meaning.

For the liberal, a theological belief does not have to be factually correct in order for it to convey a theological meaning.

To a liberal, the conservative apologist's insistence on "proofs" for Christian doctrine is anti-intellectual. For the conservative, the liberal approach is simply fancy pleading that camouflages genuine disbelief and rejection of Christianity.

[ 01. February 2013, 02:04: Message edited by: Anglican_Brat ]

quote:
For the liberal, a theological belief does not have to be factually correct in order for it to convey a theological meaning.

What exactly do you do with theological beliefs you don't believe, but think are meaningful? And what exactly does "meaningful" mean in this context? Makes you feel good?

If you mean they point to a "deeper truth" -- then do you believe the deeper truth?

Can you give me an example of a theological belief that a liberal knows is wrong, but finds meaningful? I don't mean a historical belief, but a theological belief. And what does it mean, and why is it important.

quote:
quote:

What exactly do you do with theological beliefs you don't believe, but think are meaningful? And what exactly does "meaningful" mean in this context? Makes you feel good?

If you mean they point to a "deeper truth" -- then do you believe the deeper truth?

Can you give me an example of a theological belief that a liberal knows is wrong, but finds meaningful? I don't mean a historical belief, but a theological belief. And what does it mean, and why is it important.

Well, the stereotypical example is the Resurrection is about life overcoming death, love overcoming hatred. Some liberals might say that the notion that life overcomes death is true even if Jesus wasn't physically reanimated.

My criticism of this argument is that it turns the notion that "life overcomes death" into a trite, syrupy notion that is devoid of any substance. But then as I'm a bad conservative, I'm also not the best liberal.
[Razz]

"Life overcomes death" except it didn't. [Big Grin]

Perhaps it wasn't all hugs and kisses, but it wasn't ad hominen, KHANDS. Here is your post.
quote:

Dunno about your experience, but I've got no patience for folk flinging around links to web sites without any of their own comment or synthesis. Or, even indicating how the linked material adds to the discussion. I think I'm not alone in this.

3586 words in the linked text to all of seventeen of your own words. Why should anyone be arsed to read (or even to think that you have read) that text.

It is as though you are too lazy to make your own argument and, in a playground move, point indignantly and pout, "There!"

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

[Wearing my Host Hat for a minute, The Silent Acolyte, although straying a bit into junior Hosting and Commandment 3 "ad hominem" territory, makes a good point. Posting long links without any explanation doesn't really help discussions.

B62, Purg Host]

Contributing as a Shipmate now.

KHANDS, you'd be wrong to assume that folks on this site have never heard of or read Elaine Pagels. "The Gnostic Gospels" and "Beyond Belief" both sit on my bookshelf. I read them with some enjoyment. They represent a distinctly personal take (stimulated as Pagels admits herself by the challenges to her faith which were produced by personal suffering) on the developments of what is now seen as orthodox Christianity. "Beyond Belief" was written several years after "The Gnostic Gospels" and contains some corrections of assertions and conclusions in that book.

Did you know, for example, that Pagels believes that Irenaeus (Against Heresies) was essentially correct in his swingeing criticisms of the elitism of many of the Gnostics (including their dismissal of 2nd century martyrs)? She says so in "Beyond Belief".

I think Pagels writes well and is accessible. Her background research work shows both her scholarship and general (though by no means infallible) thoroughness. She is often illuminating about early church history and makes, for example, some good points about the growing influence of John's gospel. Unlike the careless, emetic speculations of the novelist Dan Brown, Pagels' writings do provide some serious food for thought about the formation of faith, at least that is what I found. But she is by no means the only author to have written on that topic and her views do not represent any kind of typical, mainstream academic, take.

Pagels is of course well versed in the methods of Higher Criticism - but then so are many contributors to this website. Fundamentalists get a pretty searching examination in discussions on this forum. Take a look in Dead Horses sometime and you'll see what I mean.

quote:
quote:

I suppose I am some sort of liberal, but I wouldn't say that I know something is wrong. Say, with the virgin birth, I don't know if it really happened factually. However, I don't feel distressed by not knowing really. And I see it as very valuable, and one of its meanings is that God emerges out of nothing, not man-made, or as they say, like the virgin rainforest.

I'm not saying that that is the only meaning of it either. God is being instantiated right now, for example.

I don't know if this would be considered syrupy or not.

quote:

For the conservative, a theological belief has to have some true factual basis in order for it to have deeper theological meaning.

I thought that was a Reformation development.

Before that, Augustine's fourfold method of hermeneutics was the norm. Literalism was only one of those.

quote:

Before that, Augustine's fourfold method of hermeneutics was the norm. Literalism was only one of those.

Indeed one of the ancient tug-of-wars (tugs-of-war?) in church theology was between the Antiochian school, who were keen on the historicity thing, and the Alexandrian school, who were fine with taking the OT allegorically. Thus the latter is hardly something new.

quote:
quote:

Pre-critical hermenuetics went beyond the literal, but never denied the literal meaning. You certainly would have faced charges of heresy if you argued that Jesus wasn't virgin born in the patristic and medieval periods even if allegory was the rage in the Christian academy.

It was only with the advent of higher criticism that people began to question seriously the historicity of much of the Bible.

quote:

It was only with the advent of higher criticism that people began to question seriously the historicity of much of the Bible.

And definitions of historicity changed as well IMO.

My trouble with all this stuff is this.

The conservative and liberal still end up at the same place regardless of belief in historicity and the miraculous etc.

Accept all the miraculous stuff in the creed? Fine. Still doesn't tell you what it means tho.

Don't accept the creed literally or historically but accept it in other ways? Fine. Still have to ask what it means tho.

So either way, one still has to interpret what it means and how it makes a difference today.

So it strikes me as rather a moot point in many ways.

quote:
Pre-critical hermenuetics went beyond the literal, but never denied the literal meaning.

I believe Augustine's hermeneutic was that if the literal meaning contradicted the Rule of Faith or other scriptures, it was automatically relegated to a non - literal meaning.

I'd really like a response to the previous post btw.......anyone......please?

It's something that's bothering me.

quote:
quote:

And definitions of historicity changed as well IMO.

My trouble with all this stuff is this.

The conservative and liberal still end up at the same place regardless of belief in historicity and the miraculous etc.

Accept all the miraculous stuff in the creed? Fine. Still doesn't tell you what it means tho.

Don't accept the creed literally or historically but accept it in other ways? Fine. Still have to ask what it means tho.

So either way, one still has to interpret what it means and how it makes a difference today.

So it strikes me as rather a moot point in many ways.

I agree with you that in the end, all this tussle over whether we take things literally or allegorically, misses the point of how we find meaning in both Scripture and Tradition. I suppose if someone asks me if I considered Scripture the Word of God, I would say something like this:

"Well, I'm still reading it so I'm ascribing some sort of authority to it."

Whether that pleases the fundamentalist, I don't know.

In regards to your second point, Augustine's precise argument was that if a "literal" interpretation did not support the Christian imperative to love God and love neighbor, then we are obliged to look at it allegorically. One could say that that was a ray of liberalism in Augustine's overall theology, which is often caricatured as traditionalist and reactionary.

[ 03. February 2013, 12:53: Message edited by: Anglican_Brat ]

It's worth pointing out that the meaning of the "literal" sense of scripture was that it was the meaning the author intended his text to have. This is not the same as the modern meaning of "literal" and it could include metaphor etc.

quote:
I agree with you that in the end, all this tussle over whether we take things literally or allegorically, misses the point of how we find meaning in both Scripture and Tradition. I suppose if someone asks me if I considered Scripture the Word of God, I would say something like this:

"Well, I'm still reading it so I'm ascribing some sort of authority to it."

Whether that pleases the fundamentalist, I don't know.

Thank you

quote:

I don´t think so. You really think there´s no difference between believing Jesus actually existed and ressurrected, and merely believe that it was a nice story and we all can learn something from it? That would put faith in Jesus on the same level as the apreciation of ancient mithology or children stories. I can read Harry Potter and learn a lot of things from it. We can get meaning from books, movies, songs, etc. The whole point of God´s incarnation is that He became part of our history. If God´s incarnation is mere fiction, then Christinity is nothing but a solar religion like mithraism or any other cult of solar gods.

And I do understand there are many ways of interpretation other then literal. However, none of these would lead to deny the claims of historicity of Jesus´ life facts on the gospels. For example, there´s a difference between sayng you don´t believe in Jesus´ virginal conception and sayng the texts do not support the virginal conception literally. The interpretation of a text is not to be confused with the reader´s opinion on the text´s content.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

Gorpo - why would you imagine that not literally believing in the virgin birth and/or a physical resuscitation style resurrection means that one does not believe that the Incarnation was a real event?

quote:
The whole point of God´s incarnation is that He became part of our history.

Not so.

God has been active in history both before and after the incarnation if the bible has any say on the matter.

The incarnation means the fullest revelation of God earth to date.

What does that tell us about the nature of God?

A number of things.......which is where the "meaning" issue comes in.

quote:
If God´s incarnation is mere fiction, then Christinity is nothing but a solar religion like mithraism or any other cult of solar gods.

What makes you think other religion's myths are not based on history like ours is?

On what basis do you discern that?

quote:
God has been active in history both before and after the incarnation if the bible has any say on the matter.

I wonder if you can give one example of where God has bneen active that cannot be explained by a natural and/or human cause?
Why should the Bible have anything to say on the matter? It was thought of and written by real, ordinary people who believed that it was on God's ideas, and of course it has been re-interpreted continuously since then..
Funnily enough, I have been toying with the idea of starting a topic, 'What does God do?' but hadnt got round to it yet! [Smile]

quote:
I wonder if you can give one example of where God has bneen active that cannot be explained by a natural and/or human cause?

Once again, you are asking a question that proves you are the living under the illusion of a false dichotomy. Do you know what that is SusanDoris? Pleas look it up, it'll save you a lot of wasted breath on this bulletin board.

In other words, that's an invalid question SusanDoris.

God works by and in nature and humankind. God is not separate from nature and humankind.

quote:
quote:

Why should the Bible have anything to say on the matter? It was thought of and written by real, ordinary people who believed that it was on God's ideas, and of course it has been re-interpreted continuously since then..
Funnily enough, I have been toying with the idea of starting a topic, 'What does God do?' but hadnt got round to it yet! [Smile]

1. This is like people who ask for evidence of the historical Jesus and start by excluding the New Testament. It's quite a bit less objective to start by excluding huge numbers of documents than vice versa.
2. I suppose you'd explain any spiritual experience, any experience of God's presence, love, and so on as having human/natural causes. Many of us would explain them as having a human/natural manifestation (obviously we don't experience things that have no physical impact on our brains...) but a divine cause. That's not something that can be proved, so good luck trying to get anyone to prove it!

quote:
quote:
[qb] The whole point of God´s incarnation is that He became part of our history.

Not so.

The incarnation means the fullest revelation of God earth to date.

What does that tell us about the nature of God?

A number of things.......which is where the "meaning" issue comes in.

One view, proposed by those who advocate a panentheistic understanding of God is that the Incarnation wasn't so much about God entering in from the "outside" since panentheists believe that God is radically immanent within the created order, without being identified with it (which is what pantheism means), but the Incarnation was a signal, a sacramental sign to the underlying closeness that God experiences with creation at all times.

This approach might be more conducive to interfaith and pluralist ventures since its proponents say that Christians, while maintaining that the Christ event is definitive in that it is how they experience God, it is not definitive as to say that it's the only way for everyone else to experience God.

quote:
quote:

Once again, you are asking a question that proves you are the living under the illusion of a false dichotomy. Do you know what that is SusanDoris? Pleas look it up, it'll save you a lot of wasted breath on this bulletin board.
Yes, I did know what it meant, but I looked it up to make sure. However, my choice sometimes is to choose two options only in order to focus on one point rather than too many.
quote:
Not to me it wasn't!! [Smile]
quote:
God works by and in nature and humankind. God is not separate from nature and humankind.
Those are assertions, are they not?

quote:

You are being a jerk, Evensong. Do you know what that is? Please look it up. It will save you from being planked for violating Ship rules.

--Tom Clune, Purgatory Host

quote:
quote:

Seems as valid as a thing with validity to me, too.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Gorpo - why would you imagine that not literally believing in the virgin birth and/or a physical resuscitation style resurrection means that one does not believe that the Incarnation was a real event?

Because incarnation to me is a bigger miracle then the virgin birth or the physical ressurrection, and it´s obviously not logical or scientifically acceptable... I don´t know why someone would believe in the "more", but not in the "less".

And also because most liberal theologians who denied the literal virgin birth or the physical ressurrection have defended a view of the incarnation that can in no way be described as "real". In fact, they merely believe that Jesus had qualities and did things that reflect God was in Him, and this God who was in him obviously was not a personal being, but an impersonal force or feeling, kind of like Tillich´s "ground of all being", whatever that means.

However, if one sincerely believes that the Almighty God has really become flash, tough the authors of the gospels had to make up fake stories to make it prettier (as if that event, by itself, wasn´t special enough), I respect that view, even tough I strongly disagree, and veemently protest against it being preached in historical churches. I don´t have a problem with those who believe different then historical christianity creating their own denominations or defending their ideas outside of the church, tough.

quote:

[/qb]

What makes you think other religion's myths are not based on history like ours is?

On what basis do you discern that? [/QB][/QUOTE]

On faith.

As a christian, I should not take the sacred texts and beliefs of other religions in the same regard as in the Bible, and I should not believe the stories about Muhammad and his ascencion to Heaven the same way as I believe the stories about Jesus. However, I don´t go at mosques and preach them muslims that their prophet has not ascended to Heaven and has not received any revelation from Allah... as I believe that nobody should teach from a position of authority in the Church against what the Church believes.

And don´t tell me that faith is only about the meaning of the events, and not its historicity. When Mary found out that Jesus had ressurrected she ran to tell what happened to the apostles. They took their time latter to work out what that meant, however the first news is that Jesus ressurected. If they found out that Mary was lying and nothing happened except in her heart, they wouldn´t bother thinking about what that means. As it looks kinda pathetic to think about the meaning of an event that did not happen.

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:

You are being a jerk, Evensong. Do you know what that is? Please look it up. It will save you from being planked for violating Ship rules.

--Tom Clune, Purgatory Host

Yes. Fair enough. My apologies.

I will take it to Hell. It's what I should have done months ago.

quote:
Because incarnation to me is a bigger miracle then the virgin birth or the physical ressurrection, and it´s obviously not logical or scientifically acceptable... I don´t know why someone would believe in the "more", but not in the "less".
Not to mention believing in an omnipotent, omniscient, perfectly benevolent God. I would think all bets would be off if one believes that, but to my amazement I know a great many people for whom that is not the case. Omnipotent, but incapable of making a baby without sex!

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, I did know what it meant, but I looked it up to make sure. However, my choice sometimes is to choose two options only in order to focus on one point rather than too many.
quote:
quote:
Those are assertions, are they not?

Let us continue this conversation in Hell.

Posted by Crœsos (# 238) on :

quote:
Omnipotent, but incapable of making a baby without sex!

Well . . . just the one time. [Big Grin]

quote:
quote:

On what basis do you discern that? [/QB]

On faith.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

But that's not faith in God, that's faith in exclusivity.

If it somehow came to light that other religion's historical claims were true (as we believe ours to be), your faith would crumble.

Bit dangerous don't you think? Building a house on sand?

quote:
But that's not faith in God, that's faith in exclusivity. If it somehow came to light that other religion's historical claims were true (as we believe ours to be), your faith would crumble. Bit dangerous don't you think? Building a house on sand?

Christianity, and its ancestor Judaism, are essentially exclusive. It is one chosen people, not many. It is one Messiah, not many. A limited amount of Divine favour for other people and religions is compatible with that. But if other religions indeed had serious historical support for their claims to be the true religion, then necessarily Christianity (and Judaism) is false. This is not building a house on sand, this is simply dealing with the facts of the matter. Faith is about something concrete, it is not some abstract and vague sentiment that strings us along.

Now, if Christianity turns out to be false, and it can turn out to be false based on evidence gathered in this world, then I would not for example become an atheist. I know by insuperable philosophical argument that a God much like the Christian God exists. Quite possibly I would even retain some beliefs that I have received from Christianity, for example the concept that immaterial spiritual entities ("angels and demons") exist. But if sufficient evidence is presented for the falsehood of Christianity, then I would turn from it as true religion faster than you can say "hasta la vista". There is no value whatsoever in clinging to false faith, it always is a hindrance to true faith.

Posted by Holy Smoke (# 14866) on :

quote:
...Now, if Christianity turns out to be false, and it can turn out to be false based on evidence gathered in this world, then I would not for example become an atheist. I know by insuperable philosophical argument that a God much like the Christian God exists. Quite possibly I would even retain some beliefs that I have received from Christianity, for example the concept that immaterial spiritual entities ("angels and demons") exist. But if sufficient evidence is presented for the falsehood of Christianity, then I would turn from it as true religion faster than you can say "hasta la vista"...

I don't know what this makes me, but I have yet to see any convincing evidence that any of Christianity's historical claims are true (except, perhaps, Jesus's execution by the Romans), including her claim to uniqueness. There is, to my mind, sufficient evidence of various sorts that there is at least some truth in its spiritual claims, especially those elements which are shared with other belief systems and religions, or perhaps that there is truth in some sort of universal religion or spiritual system which is imperfectly expressed through a religion such as Christianity. Or at the very least, that it is worth taking such a system as a working hypothesis against the time when one is able to validate the facts for oneself.

What I don't see is why it has to be an either/or proposition - either one accepts Christianity (presumably in your case the Roman Catholic Catechism) in its entirety, or one rejects it in its entirety, and runs screaming from the building - why not a middle course, where one recognizes that there is truth in it, even if it is not of itself, The Truth?

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
quote:
But that's not faith in God, that's faith in exclusivity. If it somehow came to light that other religion's historical claims were true (as we believe ours to be), your faith would crumble. Bit dangerous don't you think? Building a house on sand?

Christianity, and its ancestor Judaism, are essentially exclusive.
That is to ignore the teachings of the prophets, that all the ethnoi/nations would come.

Most Jews would react very angrily to your suggestion.

quote:
quote:
quote:

On what basis do you discern that?

On faith.

[/QB]

But that's not faith in God, that's faith in exclusivity.

If it somehow came to light that other religion's historical claims were true (as we believe ours to be), your faith would crumble.

Bit dangerous don't you think? Building a house on sand? [/QB][/QUOTE]

I don´t think any hypothetical proof of other religion´s claims would affect me in any way. The Bible itself talks about apparent miracles being performed among pagans (for example, the egyptians turning sticks into snakes in front of Moses), and even if it didn´t, there´s nothing that stops God from acting outside of judeo-christianity if He wishes so.

However, supposing there was some type of scientifical evidence that would convince me that Jesus did not ressurrect and my faith would then crumble, I don´t get the argument. You´re sayng that I should not believe because I run the risk of my faith crumbling? If my faith is false, then my faith crumbling would be a good thing. If my faith is true, then not having faith to avoid the possibility of loosing it makes no sense.

But if the founding event of the christian faith, which is Jesus´ressurrection, it false or is merely a fictious story to warm the disciple´s hearts, then I see no value in keeping that faith, other then the smells, bells, community and friends meeting at the Church. That would make the christian church exactly like the atheist church being discussed in another topic.

quote:
I don't know what this makes me, but I have yet to see any convincing evidence that any of Christianity's historical claims are true (except, perhaps, Jesus's execution by the Romans), including her claim to uniqueness.

I hear that there is considerable historical agreement on a bit more than that, e.g., that it is rather clear that Jesus' tomb was indeed found empty. But it doesn't matter to me, personally. My own faith in Christ is not based on history, really. My point was simply that if there was historical proof for other religions, then that would be a serious problem for Christianity (and Judaism).

quote:
There is, to my mind, sufficient evidence of various sorts that there is at least some truth in its spiritual claims, especially those elements which are shared with other belief systems and religions, or perhaps that there is truth in some sort of universal religion or spiritual system which is imperfectly expressed through a religion such as Christianity. Or at the very least, that it is worth taking such a system as a working hypothesis against the time when one is able to validate the facts for oneself.

I consider this to be insufficient. But it is not so easy to explain why. It has to do with what religion is like, essentially, which makes such reductionism impossible. We cannot say for example that this piece of Picasso is also found in Monet, and Rembrandt, and therefore is "true art" whereas what they do not share isn't. It doesn't work that way. Not that one cannot isolate say the use of colour as important to painting. But in isolation this means nothing. Likewise, there is no sense in seeking some kind of "lowest common denominator" of religion, as far as being religious is concerned. There may be academic interest in that, but it cannot move you. For religion to work, it has to grasp you. Whole.

quote:
What I don't see is why it has to be an either/or proposition - either one accepts Christianity (presumably in your case the Roman Catholic Catechism) in its entirety, or one rejects it in its entirety, and runs screaming from the building - why not a middle course, where one recognizes that there is truth in it, even if it is not of itself, The Truth?

Religion has to go beyond you. How can it do that, if you are the ultimate judge of its truths? You can judge where you place your bet. But if you don't risk, you cannot win.

quote:
My point was simply that if there was historical proof for other religions, then that would be a serious problem for Christianity (and Judaism).

I can imagine a third century Christian (Tertullian?) claiming that if there were historical proof for pagan philosophy, then that would be a serious problem for Christianity. Saints of the church have shown otherwise by incorporating Aristotle and Plato into Christian theology.
I don't see why other religions cannot be incorporated on the same basis. In both cases, there are propositions that are flatly incompatible with Christian faith. But in the case of Greek philosophy there were also propositions that clarified key doctrines. For example, the Christian doctrine of God as creator is clarified by Greek philosophy.
In this context, the distinction between philosophy and religion is entirely arbitrary.
(One exasperating fact is that a lot of the people who are most keen on recognising Indian or Chinese thought think that recognising Greek thought was a mistake.)

quote:
I don't see why other religions cannot be incorporated on the same basis.

Because there is an essential difference between philosophy and religion.

quote:
In this context, the distinction between philosophy and religion is entirely arbitrary.

Rather, it is historically self-evident and utterly crucial.

Setting aside questions of mere inculturation (i.e., accidental rather than essential adaptations to a prevailing culture which in part will have been shaped by previous religion), Graeco-Roman religion was incompatible with Christianity. Graeco-Roman philosopy not. Because true religion contains, or at least is compatible with, all truth, including all the natural truths that philosophy of whatever origin and aim can potentially discover. But true religion is never compatible with falsehoods, such as the super-natural (i.e., not accessible to unaided natural reason) falsehoods that false religion inevitably entails.

Apart from the total logical fail that religious syncretism represents, it also is entirely unworkable given the human psyche. Actual religion requires spiritual dedication that cannot be achieved with religious vagaries. Notably, when religions seem to "hoover up" other religions, they invariably subsume the new variety as accidental, not essential. If it doesn't matter whether you pray to A, B or C, and whether you do it via X, Y or Z, then indeed that doesn't matter. This does however merely indicate that something else matters. And conflicts there are not acceptable, because that would put single-minded dedication itself into doubt and thereby destroy the long-term viability of that religion.

quote:
quote:

Rather, it is historically self-evident and utterly crucial.

Setting aside questions of mere inculturation (i.e., accidental rather than essential adaptations to a prevailing culture which in part will have been shaped by previous religion), Graeco-Roman religion was incompatible with Christianity. Graeco-Roman philosopy not.

The idea that Plato regarded the Form of the Good as a matter of disinterested intellectual enquiry and no more has been an article of faith with a certain kind of English philosopher in the line of Russell. That doesn't make it true. Plato's works are fundamentally treatises on how the soul ascends to its proper beatification on the basis of love. The only reason for excluding them from the title 'religion' is if one takes 'religion' to require public collective ritual.
The same I believe is true, if less blatantly, of the Stoics and even of Aristotle.
(I'll add that in Aquinas religion is an application of the natural virtue of justice rather than of the supernatural virtue of faith.)

Our society owes its dividing line between sacred and secular to Christian theology (post-Aquinas). It's misreading ancient society to suppose the distinction between their religion and their philosophy maps well onto it.

That Christianity is essentially incompatible with Graeco-Roman polytheism is due to the nature of polytheism, rather than the nature of religion. Graeco-Roman philosophy was not a natural fit for Graeco-Roman polytheism either.

quote:
Graeco-Roman philosophy was not a natural fit for Graeco-Roman polytheism either.

This.

Dafyd, you have simply ignored my argument (hint: all the stuff you have snipped) and instead you now go on about side issues of no further interest. Can Plato's philosophy be turned into a kind of religion? Yes, as the Neo-Platonism of Plotinus et al. shows. Was Graeco-Roman philosophy compatible with Graeco-Roman polytheism? Only in a strained way, as already discussed by St Augustine in the City of God. Is it possible to misunderstand Thomist virtue ethic as setting religion apart from faith? Yes, as you demonstrate.

But none of this in the slightest concerns my two points. 1) Whatever wisdom (not religious sentiment) Graeco-Roman philosophy was able to elicit was naturally compatible with the true religion Christianity. Whereas the majority of supernatural teachings of Graeco-Roman religions obviously was not. 2) Really indiscriminate religious syncretism is not a long term religious option, because it is psychologically impossible to be single-mindedly dedicated to vagaries.

Thus the distinction between philosophy and religion is historically self-evident and utterly crucial for what can be incorporated into a true religion and what not. Philosophy is fundamentally compatible, while some practical aspects may have to be rejected. False (i.e., other) religion is fundamentally incompatible, while some practical aspects can possibly be adopted and/or adapted.

quote:
Dafyd, you have simply ignored my argument (hint: all the stuff you have snipped) and instead you now go on about side issues of no further interest. Can Plato's philosophy be turned into a kind of religion? Yes, as the Neo-Platonism of Plotinus et al. shows. Was Graeco-Roman philosophy compatible with Graeco-Roman polytheism? Only in a strained way, as already discussed by St Augustine in the City of God. Is it possible to misunderstand Thomist virtue ethic as setting religion apart from faith? Yes, as you demonstrate.

Let me summarise: you make two points that I take issue with: a) the distinction between philosophy and religion is self-evident and critical; b) Christianity can learn from philosophy but not (except incidentally) from religion.
Now a) is just flat out wrong. (Saying anything is historically self-evident should always send up danger signals.) The distinction is historically contingent. And therefore b) is null.
(I agree with you about indiscriminate syncretism for what it's worth. I'm not impressed by magpie attempts to pilfer whatever bits of whatever religions seem shiny regardless of context.)

Far from it being possible to turn Plato into a kind of religion, I was claiming that Plato's philosophy is already a kind of religion. This I take it is obvious to anyone reading the Symposium, or the Philebus, or even the Republic. To restate: the aim of Plato's philosophy is to achieve beatification of the soul by contemplation of the Good.
Further, Plotinus was the form in which Platonism reached the majority of the Church Fathers. So Platonism was absorbed by the Church Fathers largely in the form you consider 'a kind of religion'; this falsifies your assertion b).

You think my point that Thomas cuts the boundary between religion and philosophy somewhere other than where we would (and that therefore the boundary is not self-evident) is based upon a misunderstanding. The bare assertion that I've misunderstood educates nobody. You need to explain.

quote:
1) Whatever wisdom (not religious sentiment) Graeco-Roman philosophy was able to elicit was naturally compatible with the true religion Christianity. Whereas the majority of supernatural teachings of Graeco-Roman religions obviously was not.
Again, you assume a distinction between wisdom and religious sentiment in Graeco-Roman philosophy that just cannot be justified from the writings of the philosophers themselves.
Likewise, you're assuming that the word 'religion' can be applied in the same sense to Christianity and Graeco-Roman polytheism. That last is false too. (One sign is that the Greeks and Romans had no word for 'religion' in the sense you and I call Christianity a religion.) It's the same mistake that underlies Dawkins' assertion that Christians disbelieve in all gods but one and atheists merely believe in one less God than Christians do.

quote:
Philosophy is fundamentally compatible, while some practical aspects may have to be rejected.
I'll just remark here that you're talking about 'philosophy' as if Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Locke, Hume, Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, and Russell were all engaged in the same activity in the same spirit to the same end.
(Is Montaigne a philosopher? Certainly to Cicero or Plutarch or Marcus Aurelius he would have appeared to be one. But he gets mentioned merely twice in Russell's History of Western Philosophy.) The concept of what philosophy is, just as the concept of religion, is historically contingent; a fortiori so is the distinction between them.

[ 15. February 2013, 19:11: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

quote:
Let me summarise: you make two points that I take issue with: a) the distinction between philosophy and religion is self-evident and critical; b) Christianity can learn from philosophy but not (except incidentally) from religion.
Now a) is just flat out wrong. (Saying anything is historically self-evident should always send up danger signals.) The distinction is historically contingent. And therefore b) is null.

Clearly history is contingent. However, it is not entirely random, but has many regular patterns. Clearly some patterns in history are self-evident (do not require sophisticated discernment and argument), such as "people go to war over conflicting interests". Whether you believe - reasonably - that a distinction between religion and philosophy has been self-evident in history, or not, the contingent nature of history is hence no counter-argument at all. Furthermore, nothing follows from a) concerning b), other than the ease with which one can discern whether something can contribute to Christianity or not. If it were true that it is terribly difficult to distinguish between philosophy and religion, then it simply would be difficult to say to what degree Christianity can learn from one such entity. However, the central argument would remain untouched: all philosophical wisdom is compatible with Christianity, since true, no deviating religious doctrine is compatible with Christianity, since false.

However, since in fact the distinction between religion and philosophy is historically obvious enough. Certainly in retrospect, there is no difficulty here at all. We know that the teachings of Plato are basically philosophical, even if there have been some people who turned this into some kind of religion. We know that Norse mythology is basically religious, even if there are some people who used it for other purposes (literary, perhaps even philosophical). It is not anachronistic to look at this in modern terms, because we are not discussing what Christians thought back then (though it is pretty obvious that considerable understanding of the distinction was available even in antiquity, see for example Augustine's City of God). We are rather discussing from today's perspective what has happened historically, and what we can learn from this.

quote:
Far from it being possible to turn Plato into a kind of religion, I was claiming that Plato's philosophy is already a kind of religion. This I take it is obvious to anyone reading the Symposium, or the Philebus, or even the Republic. To restate: the aim of Plato's philosophy is to achieve beatification of the soul by contemplation of the Good.

I have read all of Plato (though admittedly it has been a while...), and I consider your opinion false. Laws, Republic and Timaeus do tell us something about the religious beliefs that Plato held (or at least about those that he thinks should be held), but precisely in the philosophical mode, not in a religious one. One could argue whether that is philosophy of religion or (philosophical) theology, but even theology does not establish religion, it analyses it. And the attempt to beatify one's soul by contemplation of the good perhaps distinguishes practical philosophy from academic one ("academic" in the modern sense). But that is hardly sufficient to establish religion.

The simple fact is anyhow that Plato himself makes the distinction that you try to deny. He does consider the gods, after all, and as subject to his inquiry.

quote:
Further, Plotinus was the form in which Platonism reached the majority of the Church Fathers. So Platonism was absorbed by the Church Fathers largely in the form you consider 'a kind of religion'; this falsifies your assertion b).

It does nothing of that sort. All that may show is that if one builds up a quasi-religion out of philosophy, then it is easy for others to strip back unwanted religious aspects and use the philosophy. One could probably make the case that it is particularly easy to source from such philosophical quasi-religion. Because considerable intellectual work is usually required to make philosophy speak clearly to religious concerns (as in Aquinas bending Aristotle into Christian shape). So if one finds a philosophy "pre-bent", then that is rather convenient. It requires though that the religious doctrine targeted is "close enough" to the religious doctrine the adopters hold true. In this regard Plotinus is a bit of a special case for Christians, really. It is hard to imagine a more convenient mix of mystical vagueness and doctrinal similarity to source from. But be that as it may, Plotinus in the end is still a philosopher, not the founder of a religion. It is his mysticism that gets him so close. (Just like Dogen Zenji is in the end a religious man, not a philosopher, but approaching the same boundary from the other side.)

quote:
You think my point that Thomas cuts the boundary between religion and philosophy somewhere other than where we would (and that therefore the boundary is not self-evident) is based upon a misunderstanding. The bare assertion that I've misunderstood educates nobody. You need to explain.

What is there to explain? Aquinas indeed considers religion as a duty to God, and hence as a kind of distributive justice (giving everybody his due), when talking about virtues and vices. But obviously this presupposes a belief in God. An atheist may have a duty towards God in the eyes of a theist (and God), but one cannot expect him to carry out this duty since in consequence of his error he does not believe that there is one. What Aquinas answers there is actually a quite modern question: is it OK to be "spiritual but not religious"? The answer is no, that is unjust. However, it does not follow in the slightest that Aquinas divorces religion from faith, and turns it into a mere question of duty. For example, he considers explicit faith in Christ to be necessary for salvation. The merely "just" exercise of Muslim religion would for Aquinas certainly not be sufficient.

quote:
Again, you assume a distinction between wisdom and religious sentiment in Graeco-Roman philosophy that just cannot be justified from the writings of the philosophers themselves.

Guess what, you cannot simply get by on unsubstantiated assertions either. The distinction between philosophy and religion may not have been as clear as it is in modernity, but it was hardly unknown in antiquity. Furthermore, this doesn't really matter anyway, because I'm analysing the historical situation, I'm not describing sentiments as they were historically.

quote:
Likewise, you're assuming that the word 'religion' can be applied in the same sense to Christianity and Graeco-Roman polytheism. That last is false too. (One sign is that the Greeks and Romans had no word for 'religion' in the sense you and I call Christianity a religion.) It's the same mistake that underlies Dawkins' assertion that Christians disbelieve in all gods but one and atheists merely believe in one less God than Christians do.

Again you confuse matters pointlessly. Dawkins' mistake is not to say that both pagans and Christians are/were religious, which is obviously true, but simply in supposing that all objects of religion, all gods, are comparable as entities. One can even viably call Buddhism a religion, so there really is no doubt that Graeco-Roman polytheism was a religion. Which is - astonishingly - why everybody calls it a religion. What would you like to call it?

quote:
I'll just remark here that you're talking about 'philosophy' as if Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Locke, Hume, Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, and Russell were all engaged in the same activity in the same spirit to the same end.
(Is Montaigne a philosopher? Certainly to Cicero or Plutarch or Marcus Aurelius he would have appeared to be one. But he gets mentioned merely twice in Russell's History of Western Philosophy.) The concept of what philosophy is, just as the concept of religion, is historically contingent; a fortiori so is the distinction between them.

Apart from the point that I can use whatever concept of philosophy I want (since I am analysing history, not recounting it), the obvious answer to this nonsense is that clearly all these gentleman are similar enough in what they do to be called philosophers (or at least, to have produced philosophical writings). You can go on trying to reinvent language, but it really doesn't help your case at all. It would be wisdom-loving of you to stop this learned sophistry.

quote:
quote:

Clearly history is contingent. However, it is not entirely random, but has many regular patterns. Clearly some patterns in history are self-evident (do not require sophisticated discernment and argument), such as "people go to war over conflicting interests". Whether you believe - reasonably - that a distinction between religion and philosophy has been self-evident in history, or not, the contingent nature of history is hence no counter-argument at all. Furthermore, nothing follows from a) concerning b), other than the ease with which one can discern whether something can contribute to Christianity or not. If it were true that it is terribly difficult to distinguish between philosophy and religion, then it simply would be difficult to say to what degree Christianity can learn from one such entity. However, the central argument would remain untouched: all philosophical wisdom is compatible with Christianity, since true, no deviating religious doctrine is compatible with Christianity, since false.
That last sentence, given the qualifications 'wisdom' and 'deviating', approaches a tautology. Some philosophers have said things that are incompatible with Christianity (and therefore false on the assumption Christianity is true). Likewise, deviating must mean contradicting Christianity. (For instance, Buber's I-Thou theology is not anticipated by any Christian theologian. Nevertheless, it's not a priori contradictory with Christianity.)

quote:
Certainly in retrospect, there is no difficulty here at all. We know that the teachings of Plato are basically philosophical, even if there have been some people who turned this into some kind of religion. We know that Norse mythology is basically religious, even if there are some people who used it for other purposes (literary, perhaps even philosophical).
Intellectual historians generally find this kind of retrospective classification dubious. Human activity is, unlike the natural world, intentional: that is, human activities are conditioned by the descriptions that those humans use to characterise them. And so attributing classifications alien to the ones used by the agents themselves is a fraught business.

'Religion' and 'philosophy' as you are using them are enlightenment classifications. The whole point of the category of religion is to argue that Christianity is one member of a class, a class whose true nature is to be understood by enlightenment savants. Treating it as a natural type is to subject Christianity to an exterior agenda. It is ill-advised to defend Christian uniqueness using the conceptual tools of Nathan the Wise.

Suppose for a moment that there were superheroes. Some people have superhuman powers and are immortal. They are engaged in an everlasting battle with malevolent beings of equivalent power. Now that of itself is not a religion. Even if the superheroes were believed to do us favours in return for tribute it would not be a religion. Just positing such a state of affairs does not of itself tell us anything about the meaning of life or the human good. Yet that is not terribly far off norse beliefs about their gods. Even if we add in norse beliefs about the afterlife, we do not approach anything of religious feeling: the goods of the norse afterlife are this worldly goods. To this extent, norse paganism is quite disanalogous to Christianity. God cannot be separated out from Christian ethics or metaphysics; whereas the norse gods are not essentially implicated in the definition of norse ethics or metaphysics.

quote:
Laws, Republic and Timaeus do tell us something about the religious beliefs that Plato held (or at least about those that he thinks should be held), but precisely in the philosophical mode, not in a religious one. One could argue whether that is philosophy of religion or (philosophical) theology, but even theology does not establish religion, it analyses it. And the attempt to beatify one's soul by contemplation of the good perhaps distinguishes practical philosophy from academic one ("academic" in the modern sense). But that is hardly sufficient to establish religion.
What is the difference between telling us about religious beliefs in a philosophical mode and in a religious mode?
Plato's statements about the gods as recounted in the Republic are not religious. There is no sense, as far as I can see, in which he takes the existence of the gods to have ethical or spiritual significance. The mere positing of entities understood as 'supernatural' is neither necessary nor sufficient to establish a religious subject matter. (This is essentially the same as my argument about norse beliefs.) Whereas his beliefs about the Forms, especially the Form of the Good, are of fundamental ethical and spiritual significance.

If the attempt to attain beatification by contemplation of the Good is not sufficient to count as religion what more is required?

quote:
Aquinas indeed considers religion as a duty to God, and hence as a kind of distributive justice (giving everybody his due), when talking about virtues and vices. But obviously this presupposes a belief in God. An atheist may have a duty towards God in the eyes of a theist (and God), but one cannot expect him to carry out this duty since in consequence of his error he does not believe that there is one. What Aquinas answers there is actually a quite modern question: is it OK to be "spiritual but not religious"? The answer is no, that is unjust. However, it does not follow in the slightest that Aquinas divorces religion from faith, and turns it into a mere question of duty. For example, he considers explicit faith in Christ to be necessary for salvation. The merely "just" exercise of Muslim religion would for Aquinas certainly not be sufficient.
Indeed, for Aquinas the exercise of a merely natural religion is not salvific. The point is that Aquinas does not arrange these topics according to modern conceptual categories. Aquinas believes that monotheism and the duty of worship of God belong to the natural virtues. To a modern, those fall under religion. But Aquinas also believes that those duties are of no salvific value. (Further, he would argue that pagan idolatry is unconnected to the exercise of the relevant virtues.) And to modern categories religion is largely about seeking salvation. Aquinas' understanding of where the boundaries lie is simply different from ours.

quote:
Dawkins' mistake is not to say that both pagans and Christians are/were religious, which is obviously true, but simply in supposing that all objects of religion, all gods, are comparable as entities. One can even viably call Buddhism a religion, so there really is no doubt that Graeco-Roman polytheism was a religion. Which is - astonishingly - why everybody calls it a religion. What would you like to call it?
I believe the traditional Christian description would be 'idolatry'. I suppose the conceptual resources of modern English are such that we have to resort to contrasts such as 'rationalised' or 'higher' or 'postaxial' etc religion and 'unrationalised' or 'lower' or 'preaxial' etc religion. (All of those qualifications are open to criticism in different ways.)
The major point is that almost every reason for calling Graeco-Roman religion does not apply to Buddhism as such (although Tibetan Buddhism may come close), and vice versa. The only thing they have in common is that the principles of post-enlightenment liberal capitalist society treat them as holding the same role as Christianity.

quote:
Apart from the point that I can use whatever concept of philosophy I want (since I am analysing history, not recounting it), the obvious answer to this nonsense is that clearly all these gentleman are similar enough in what they do to be called philosophers (or at least, to have produced philosophical writings).
What all the gentlemen I cited (apart from Montaigne) have in common is that their writings can be adopted to the modern academic study of philosophy as understood by Russell. But Christians would be ill-advised I think to take Russell's understanding of philosophy or anything else as definitive. The point is that the classification of them all as philosophers is a subjective classification based on the purposes of the modern academy, rather than an objective classification that reveals anything useful about the writers themselves. At best, the resemblance is a family resemblance.

© Ship of Fools 2016