Thread: Kerygmania: Why did Jesus not explicitly teach the doctrine of the Trinity. Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000981

Posted by Jamat (# 11621) on :

This question arose on another thread.

IMV, Jesus, being a Jew, would have been aware of the axiom :"The Lord, he is one.."

The paradigm shift involved in the separation of the Godhead would have been impossible for his audience.

He did, however, make claims for himself that only God could make, eg forgiving sins.

He also demonstrated authority that only God has, eg the power over death.

The transfiguration demonstrated his own divinity in that the Shekinah glory shone through him and the disciples saw it while at the same time hearing the voice of the Father affirming him.

The Jewish concept of sonship assumes that a son and a father are one though two. The Jewish reaction to his claim to be God's son, is that this was a claim of equality wuith God.

The baptism of Jesus signals God's presence as three 'species' if you like. This is a model of unity yet separateness.

Finally, Jesus promised that the spirit would teach and spoke of the Spirit as a personality separate from either himself or the Father.

All in all it seems Jesus claimed unity with, yet separation from the Father to whom he willingly submitted. He referred to the coming of the Holy Spirit whom he said, would bear further witness of himself.

To me this all adds up to a modelling of the Trinitarian Godhead though the concept itself is, of course, a later theological construct..

Any comments?

[ 19. November 2013, 02:39: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

Yes. The later theological construct is completely wrong. They misinterpreted Jesus' words.

If Jesus claims identity with the Father and there is only one God then it makes more sense to understand Jesus to be saying that He is God, not that they are somehow two.

The metaphor of Father/Son/Holy Spirit is helpful in explaining how Jesus could be born on earth, grow up, and be killed and yet be God.

Of course it all depends on what you think He was doing here in the first place.

Posted by Imaginary Friend (# 186) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
The metaphor of Father/Son/Holy Spirit is helpful in explaining how Jesus could be born on earth, grow up, and be killed and yet be God.

So, how much would orthodoxy (note the small 'o') admit your use of the word "metaphor". I was always under the impression that the doctrine of the trinity was somehow more than that. A real description of the nature of the Godhead. Perhaps I have that wrong.

Anyhow, to answer the question, I think Jesus was more concerned about how people relate to each other than he was about concrete theology. It seems to me that the trinity falls more into the second category than the first so I guess he just never got around to it. There are various oblique references to relationships within the Godhead (know me and you'll know the Father, for example), so I doubt Jesus would have denied the trinity.

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

I can't claim any special expertise here, but (unable to learn from experience) I will stick my neck out. I think one danger in discussing the Trinity is that to many listeners it may sound as if we are worshiping three gods and not one God. In a lot of religions, gods have a tendency to multiply, and we are not safe from that. For instance:

In another thread, there are references to Gaia and to the Earth as "our mother" or as "the body of God". Does that make four?

In the Caribbean region, you can find people whose religions conflate Christianity with other beliefs; they may have multiple deities and still call themselves Christian.

While I am sure educated Roman Catholics distinguish carefully between Mary and God or between the saints and God, I suspect there are many less-educated Roman Catholics who essentially have a pantheon.

I have heard of offshoots of Christianity that believe God (the Father) has a wife.

In general, I think when we discuss the Trinity, we need to make clear that ours is a monotheistic religion. God may have several names but remains God.

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
While I am sure educated Roman Catholics distinguish carefully between Mary and God or between the saints and God, I suspect there are many less-educated Roman Catholics who essentially have a pantheon.

I must say that while statements like this frequently come up, I have never, ever met a Catholic who confused the Saints with God, and I have know many Catholics with little formal education, including relatives with only a year or two of grade school. I think this comes from a misunderstanding of the familiarity with which Catholics have with the saints or indeed Christ Himself (as manifested in devotions to the Blessed Sacrament, the Sacred Heart, etc.). Sorry for the quick rant but I think this idea is a non-starter.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Jesus did say 'I and the father are one'. The Holy Spirit explicitly descended on him in the form of a dove and on the disciples in tongues of fire. How much more do people need to see it's a holy three-in-onesome?
Perhaps it's there in some lost parable or other. I'd be surprised if we already had every last saying of Jesus.

Posted by Bullfrog. (# 11014) on :

quote:
In general, I think when we discuss the Trinity, we need to make clear that ours is a monotheistic religion. God may have several names but remains God.

They're persons, not names!

As I said, "unable to learn from experience".

Posted by Lou Poulain (# 1587) on :

It seems to me that the "problem" with the Trinity is that we limited humans are wrestling to understand what is fundimentally beyond comprehension. So we hold, more or less, in tension ideas that on the face of it are contradictory, because each in turn is an affirmation we make about God. History teaches that we are not too good at this mental wrestling, and Christian history is filled with an alphabet soup of alternative rationalizations (heresies) for the mystery of God. Maybe, Bullfrog, the response to the previous post might be "They are three persons, with three names." They are, in fact, names (titles). But we are always saying, "but God is more than."

I'm not sure it's a contradiction if you really see the trinity as three independent persons sharing a common entity. My wife, myself, and my daughter make one complete family, yet we are three perfectly independent individuals that work, more or less, in concert.

It just takes rethinking of the notion of God.

Sorry if I overreacted to the names thing. I've been in seminary for too long and too recently, and it makes me theologically hypersensitive.

We need to be clear that we're monotheistic, but we also need to be clear that God is not an isolated monotheistic thing. Really, I think the trinity is neither monotheistic or polytheistic, because (as above) it has an understanding of God that kind of bends both categories.

Posted by W Hyatt (# 14250) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lou Poulain:
... Christian history is filled with an alphabet soup of alternative rationalizations (heresies) for the mystery of God.

I understand that at the time of the council of Nicaea it was necessary to counter Arianism, and I understand the appeal of thinking that God is mysteriously incomprehensible. But I cannot understand how it made sense to adopt the idea of a Trinity of persons as the best understanding of the Gospels and to dismiss all other explanations as rationalizations and heresies.

The council of Nicaea was an exercise in philosophy that has left Christianity with a legacy of incomprehensibility, tension between contradictions, and claims that God is neither monotheistic nor polytheistic. I get the sense that some people think that a Trinity of persons should be believed because it is incomprehensible.

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

I think it is helpful to understand that the formulation of the doctrine of the Trinity is an attempt to make sense of experience of God.

The one whom Jesus called 'the Father' is the first person known as God, yet the experience and understanding of the early church - even in the apostolic period is that Jesus also is God and that the Holy Spirit too is God.

The doctrine of the Trinity begins as an effort to mark the limits of what can be said about these persons without collapsing them somehow into mere manifestations of one being, or unduly separating them into three separate deities.

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are different aspects of one God - I have no trouble believing that. But why divide him into three persons when one works just fine?

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

An eggshell, an eggwhite and an eggyolk all have different meanings and benefits in my life. But I cannot say I have an egg in the house unless I have all three elements. Trinity Egg Doctrine...

Anyway, though you can find His statements like "the Father and I are one" and "if you've seen me, you've seen the Father", I imagine He didn't detail word-for-word, later-centuries-style discussions about the Trinity because it shouldn't be considered all that important an idea.

Exactly how does me thinking in great detail about the different ways the Lord manifest(s)(ed) change my Christian walk, today?

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

W Hyatt:
quote:
The council of Nicaea was an exercise in philosophy that has left Christianity with a legacy of incomprehensibility, tension between contradictions, and claims that God is neither monotheistic nor polytheistic. I get the sense that some people think that a Trinity of persons should be believed because it is incomprehensible.

In a way, yes. If I were to start thinking that I had the Lord God of the Universe in a nutshell, I'm pretty sure I would be on the wrong track. That "tension between contradictions" resembles the Immanence of God that I've been graced with a few times in my life.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

The concept of the Trinity is implicit in the Old Testament, although there it is the Lord (= perhaps, Father?) and the Spirit who get the most air time. Oops, I'm forgetting the "Angel of the Lord" who is many times apparently to be identified with Jesus Christ himself. But there are phrases like "Don't mess with him, because my Name is in him, and he won't take it kindly" (loose paraphrase WAY too early in the morning) and various occasions when the Lord, the Spirit and the Angel of the Lord are treated as interchangeable, with repeated shifts in point of view, pronouns, etc. What did the Jews make of this (outside the Scriptures)? I suspect the concept of the Trinity was far less alien to the first Christians than you might think.

As for why Jesus didn't sit down and connect the dots, well, first of all, we don't know that he didn't. He spent quite a long time (for him) in a little village with his disciples (no crowds) during the last months before his death. Presumably he was teaching them. Also, he refers on the last night to the Holy Spirit who "will guide you into all truth" and who will cause them to remember everything Jesus had told them. After all, "I have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. But when the Comforter comes, ..." etc.

Posted by tclune (# 7959) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bullfrog.:
I'm not sure it's a contradiction if you really see the trinity as three independent persons sharing a common entity. My wife, myself, and my daughter make one complete family, yet we are three perfectly independent individuals that work, more or less, in concert.

Of course, by that definition, the Greeks were monotheists -- they believed in one pantheon.

--Tom Clune

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Exactly how does me thinking in great detail about the different ways the Lord manifest(s)(ed) change my Christian walk, today?

That's a good question and I'm sure it doesn't for some. But imagine what it's like to believe in the Trinity as a single person: Jesus Christ is Jehovah himself, the creator of the universe made visible. No substitution, no atonement or propitiation, no divine anger or condemnation, just pure and infinite love for the whole human race from a single divine human. The mystery and awe isn't eliminated, it's just all wrapped up in Christ as creator and savior. It affects everything about my relationship with him.

quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are different aspects of one God - I have no trouble believing that. But why divide him into three persons when one works just fine?

Because if you do that, then Jesus ceases to be truly human.

I'll get back to other posts later. I'm on a five minute break from class at the moment...

Re the remark: "a Trinity of persons should be believed because it is incomprehensible."

I think it is inherently a losing argument to say this, as there are countless doctrines we could invent that would be incomprehensible and which we should not believe. To the extent that a doctrine is incomprehensible, we should expect to lose customers over it.

The doctrine of the Trinity can be understood in a number of different ways, and I see no need for everyone to agree on it. (Of course, part of the fun of the Ship is arguing over trivia.)

Posted by Teufelchen (# 10158) on :

quote:
...Jesus Christ is Jehovah himself, the creator of the universe made visible. No substitution, no atonement or propitiation, no divine anger or condemnation...

True - but then some of us who are Trinitarians don't believe in those thing either.

T.

quote:

(With apologies for repeat posting)

I think that the problem here is with the word 'person', and the different things it (and its alleged equivalents) mean and have meant in English, Latin and Greek.

T.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
IMV, Jesus, being a Jew, would have been aware of the axiom :"The Lord, he is one.."

With apologies for what's likely to be a third consecutive post on one thread:

Jesus wasn't just aware of this axiom. He used it himself in one of his most famous sayings. I learned the Summary of the Law by heart at confirmation class, and I supposed I shouldn't have been so surprised when, as I started taking more interest in Judaism, I encountered the first couple of clauses again:

"Hear, O Israel, the Lord is your God; the Lord is One."

I we take Jesus' own teachings seriously, then whatever we think about the Trinity has to remain compatible with the Shema.

T.

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:

Of course, by that definition, the Greeks were monotheists -- they believed in one pantheon.

--Tom Clune

Yeah, but the pantheon seemed to consist a bunch of disagreeing individuals who sometimes didn't seem to share anything in common besides being theoi (and I hadn't before thought of the obvious etymology of pantheon before.) The trinity are all essentially one, even if they function somewhat independently.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
The concept of the Trinity is implicit in the Old Testament, although there it is the Lord (= perhaps, Father?) and the Spirit who get the most air time. Oops, I'm forgetting the "Angel of the Lord" who is many times apparently to be identified with Jesus Christ himself. But there are phrases like "Don't mess with him, because my Name is in him, and he won't take it kindly" (loose paraphrase WAY too early in the morning) and various occasions when the Lord, the Spirit and the Angel of the Lord are treated as interchangeable, with repeated shifts in point of view, pronouns, etc. What did the Jews make of this (outside the Scriptures)? I suspect the concept of the Trinity was far less alien to the first Christians than you might think.

As for why Jesus didn't sit down and connect the dots, well, first of all, we don't know that he didn't. He spent quite a long time (for him) in a little village with his disciples (no crowds) during the last months before his death. Presumably he was teaching them. Also, he refers on the last night to the Holy Spirit who "will guide you into all truth" and who will cause them to remember everything Jesus had told them. After all, "I have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. But when the Comforter comes, ..." etc.

I really wish that Luke could've spent a little more ink on the bits where Jesus "opened their minds to the meaning of the scriptures" after the resurrection. [Biased]

Posted by Lou Poulain (# 1587) on :

I think we humans get in trouble when we try to categorize the mystery of God. The process of categorizing is a process of limiting (literally of definition). The reality of God demands something akin to the exact opposite, a process of braking out of, or through the conceptual limits.

When Jesus opened up the scriptures, I believe it was in the context of experience, not theorizing. Emmaus was all about an encounter over broken bread and a shared cup that left the participants with "burning hearts."

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

quote:
quote:

... imagine what it's like to believe in the Trinity as a single person: Jesus Christ is Jehovah himself, the creator of the universe made visible.
You'd likely call me a Trinitarian -- and yet I do believe Jesus of Nazareth, He that is called Christ or Messiah, is Yahweh. That which claims divine nature -- assuming it's the truth -- is God.

quote:
... No substitution, no atonement or propitiation...
Why not?

quote:
... no divine anger...
Why not?

quote:
... or condemnation...
Why not? Are you saying the Divine One has no right to anger? And are you saying Man doesn't handily and efficiently condemn his own sorry unredeemed ass?

quote:
... just pure and infinite love for the whole human race from a single divine human...
The love is pure, and unquantifiable. It comes from the GodMan as from the FatherGod as from the UnAssailableIndescribableBreathofGod. Do you really mean that people will rear upright on their teeny tiny little back feet and squeak at the MasterMind of All that His love is adulterated because He dares to feel more than love for us?

quote:
... mystery and awe isn't eliminated, it's just all wrapped up in Christ as creator and savior...
Well, d'uh. That of the GodHead that was the creative... interface, if you like... was He that we know as the Son. Y'know, the Word?

quote:
... It affects everything about my relationship with him.
I don't see how it makes a bit of difference in the deference due the Deity.

quote:
You'd likely call me a Trinitarian -- and yet I do believe Jesus of Nazareth, He that is called Christ or Messiah, is Yahweh. That which claims divine nature -- assuming it's the truth -- is God.

And yet somehow, I'm left with a strong suspicion that we mean something rather different.

quote:

quote:
... No substitution, no atonement or propitiation...
Why not?

To be able to explain why they don't exist, I'd have to understand why it makes sense to expect that they do exist. Since I don't, I can't.

quote:

quote:
... no divine anger...
Why not?

quote:
... or condemnation...
Why not? Are you saying the Divine One has no right to anger? And are you saying Man doesn't handily and efficiently condemn his own sorry unredeemed ass?

Of course God has all right to anything - I'm simply saying he is incapable of being angry because anger is counter to his essence, which is best described as love itself. Scriptures do attribute anger and condemnation to God, but I think they are only describing how God's zeal for our salvation appears to us when we resist his love for us.

I'm confused about your capitalization of "Man," but I would say that while we are free to condemn ourselves all we want, the condemnation doesn't come from God. Self-condemnation is the way we react to the presence of his truth when we reject his love. I see it as much like when my children were absolutely convinced I was angry with them when in fact I was only sad and fearful for their sake, or perhaps just trying not to laugh.

quote:

quote:
... just pure and infinite love for the whole human race from a single divine human...
The love is pure, and unquantifiable. It comes from the GodMan as from the FatherGod as from the UnAssailableIndescribableBreathofGod. Do you really mean that people will rear upright on their teeny tiny little back feet and squeak at the MasterMind of All that His love is adulterated because He dares to feel more than love for us?

Interesting image - somehow I have trouble believing that you really inferred that as my meaning from what I said. If the essence of God is best described as love, then everything else he feels is in harmony with that love.

quote:

quote:
... mystery and awe isn't eliminated, it's just all wrapped up in Christ as creator and savior...
Well, d'uh. That of the GodHead that was the creative... interface, if you like... was He that we know as the Son. Y'know, the Word?

Once again, I have that strong suspicion that we mean something quite different. I don't feel the need to resort to terms like "GodHead" and "interface."

quote:

quote:
... It affects everything about my relationship with him.
I don't see how it makes a bit of difference in the deference due the Deity.
Neither do I, but the deference due to God is infinitely beyond the deference any one of us can ever actually feel towards him. My relationship with God is not limited by anything in God, it's limited by my perception of him.

Posted by k-mann (# 8490) on :

quote:

And yet you would probably fail in finding this. I know a lot of Catholics none of whom believes in a 'pantheon.'

quote:

So names can talk amongst themselves, then? They can communicate with each other? You might not believe in the New Testament, but modalism cannot explain it. As Dale Tuggy writes:

quote:
Modalism has no problems at all with consistency and intelligibility, but it utterly fails as a way to read the New Testament. If modalism were true, it would be a mistake to think that the Father and the Son have a wonderful, loving, cooperative personal relationship. Rather, what we see in the gospels would really amount to a single individual (God) communicating to, relating to, and cooperating with himself in various roles, much as a human suffering from multiple personality disorder or a versatile actor does. This is a terrible reading of the New Testament, which is why nearly all Christians in all ages have (at least, officially and in their clear-headed moments) rejected modalism. The trinitarian interactions therein are not to be thought of as divine delusion, pretending, or deceit.

Source: Dale Tuggy, "The unfinished business of Trinitarian theorizing," p. 13-14 (page reference to pdf-file). Religious Studies 39: 165-183. Cambridge University Press. [Retrieved: January 23rd 2010]

quote:
Because if you do that, then Jesus ceases to be truly human.

I'll get back to other posts later.

Sorry, I didn't read your second sentence carefully and I was waiting for you to elaborate (which I am still hoping you do).

Seeing God as a trinity of divine aspects within the one divine person of Jesus Christ does mean that he ceases to be merely human, but to my understanding it makes him truly human in the most perfect sense of the word because it makes him divinely human. We are each a single person with a trinity of soul, body, and operation because we are an image and likeness of him. How does seeing God as a single person mean Jesus ceases to be truly human?

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Jesus did say 'I and the father are one'. The Holy Spirit explicitly descended on him in the form of a dove and on the disciples in tongues of fire. How much more do people need to see it's a holy three-in-onesome?

Well, quite a lot more, actually, if it comes to making it part of a credal test of faith.

"I and the Father are one" - Jesus expresses his identification with God. But is he one with God in some special way that no one else can be?

References to the Holy Spirit: God is Spirit, or the Spirit of God can just simply be another way of saying 'God'. God's Word, God's Spirit - these could all just be ways in which God interacts with creation.

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
References to the Holy Spirit: God is Spirit, or the Spirit of God can just simply be another way of saying 'God'. God's Word, God's Spirit - these could all just be ways in which God interacts with creation.

Which, considering the New Testament data, doesn't make one bit of sense. Modes or names doesn't communicate with each other.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

(I know this must be a stupid question so be kind.) Did Jesus teach any theology at all?

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Actually, it's a pretty durn good question, if you asked me.

Posted by Nigel M (# 11256) on :

Another from the treasure trove of mousethief's great one-liners!

How should 'theology' be defined here? Was he perhaps re-presenting OT (Jewish scripture) theology in the manner best understood by his audience?

The rest is silence...

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

If theology is thinking about God, then Jesus lived theology.

Right but he also lived Trinity.

The OP asks why he didn't teach the Trinity explicitly. I wonder if he explicitly taught any theology at all?

He taught a lot about the right way to live -- orthopraxis as we'd say in The Plot™. "The OT says do this, I say do that." He told a lot of parables but those by definition aren't explicit. Did a little apocalyptic. I can think of one example -- "I shall send the Paraclete who proceedeth from the Father and he (etc)."

But I think you will not find a lot of places in the Gospels where OLGASJC teaches any theology. Which answers -- in a way -- the question why he didn't teach the Trinity explicitly. Answer: Because he didn't teach (much of) any theology explicitly.

Posted by Timothy the Obscure (# 292) on :

I've always suspected that he didn't want us getting distracted by it.

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

Maybe our definition of "teaching theology" is a bit narrow. The parables may not be explicit x=y type of lectures, but they were used to teach something about God, no?

(Or the Church. I'm thinking about "I am the Vine, you are the branches", etc..)

quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
Maybe our definition of "teaching theology" is a bit narrow. The parables may not be explicit x=y type of lectures, but they were used to teach something about God, no?

Hence the adjective, "explicitly" -- as per the OP.

Posted by Hamp (# 15362) on :

The First Council of Nicaea was a council of Christian bishops convened in Nicaea in Bithynia (present-day İznik in Turkey) by the Roman Emperor Constantine I in A.D 325. The Council was historically significant as the first effort to attain consensus in the church through an assembly representing all of Christendom. It seems obvious to me these are just humans told by there benefactor the Emperor Constantine to get their act together. Jesus or his teaching had nothing to do with it no matter how many times you circle the wagon. Constantine
a Roman military man and administrator was just doing what came natural to him keep the peace and collect taxes the secret of the Roman Empire. Constantine knew that religion was part of that.

Hamp

Well, I'm with mousethief. It is pretty obvious from the gospels that Jesus' teaching was spontaneous, reactive to his circumstances and incredibly practical.

His life and death resound through history as do our attempts to understand them.

I certainly think he lived and modelled the trinity in a way that has taken much subsequent reflection to come to terms with.

quote:
Originally posted by Hamp:
It seems obvious to me these are just humans told by there benefactor the Emperor Constantine to get their act together. Jesus or his teaching had nothing to do with it no matter how many times you circle the wagon.

I'm with you. It baffles me that a bunch of poorly educated men making politically-driven decisions 1,700 years ago still have such impact.

quote:
quote:
It seems obvious to me these are just humans told by there benefactor the Emperor Constantine to get their act together. Jesus or his teaching had nothing to do with it no matter how many times you circle the wagon.

I'm with you. It baffles me that a bunch of poorly educated men making politically-driven decisions 1,700 years ago still have such impact.
You two exclude the Spirit from having any hand in pulling it together? All sorts of political and even sinful crap happens in the Bible, yet somehow things often turn out to God's end.

The argument assumes that the Spirit has nothing (or even cannot have anything) to do with 'political' things. An assumption I have never seen substantiated. And if it's true, why do they still hold on to the Scriptures? Were the Scriptural canonization process less 'political'?

Edit: fixed a typo.

[ 29. January 2010, 13:56: Message edited by: k-mann ]

quote:
quote:

This seems to me completely irrelevant to this thread. The question is not why do we now believe in the trinity, or when did the church first start teaching the trinity, or is there any good reason to believe the trinity.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

ISTM, Jesus emphasized a lot of practical theology--how to live, how to relate to God, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
You two exclude the Spirit from having any hand in pulling it together?

Yes. It was not the Spirit. People and organizations make mistakes. If it was the Spirit it would be consistent with the Gospels.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
It baffles me that a bunch of poorly educated men making politically-driven decisions 1,700 years ago still have such impact.

This seems to me completely irrelevant to this thread. The question is not why do we now believe in the trinity, or when did the church first start teaching the trinity, or is there any good reason to believe the trinity.
I'm just confirming the aspect of the OP that notes that Jesus did not explicitly teach the Trinity. It is an invention that is consistent with some of what Jesus says, but which creates other problems.

What concerns me is what what kind of impact today? In it's day the Trinity was designed to bring two opposing concepts about Jesus (human Vs supranational}into one. After cutting through what I will call "God Talk" Jesus seems to have wound up purely human and purely supernatural in the same personage. In the world we humans live we find it hard to relate to the supernatural, but to both at the same time very hard so it took two or three more gathering of Church Bishops before it was finally accepted as a mystery. 1,700 years ago the Trinity served a purpose. Outside of "God Talk" what purpose does it serve today? Does it help the Christan cause to have to say one of the tenets of my faith is not possible in the world we live in so we call it a mystery.Why not make him one or both but NOT AT THE SAME TIME. There is the religion of Jesus (what he taught) and there is the religion about Jesus (what Church Fathers said about him).

FOOTNOTE:

1. The argument which implies that since no one can prove the Holy Spirit is not working through some person it is. Strikes me like this, since you can not prove that Mars is not made of red cheese it is.

2. The argument that Church Fathers were closer in time to when certain things were written than scholars today ; therefore, must be more believable does not take into account what Church Fathers would want to say about Christian writings and today's technology to analyze these writings.

3. Homer's writing still have an impact on Greek scholars, but they are no truer today that the day he wrote them.

Hamp

quote:
quote:

Yes. It was not the Spirit. People and organizations make mistakes. If it was the Spirit it would be consistent with the Gospels.
So do you believe in a pantheon of three? Or are Jesus and the Holy Spirit created demi-dieties under the One God?

quote:
So do you believe in a pantheon of three? Or are Jesus and the Holy Spirit created demi-dieties under the One God?

No pantheon of three. Jesus is God. He is the Father. He is the Holy Spirit.

The impression of three derives from the fact that there had to be some way to describe what was going on since Jesus was physically a human being on earth, and the divine was within Him. But there was never three, any more than my inner being and my body are two.

So what went on at the baptism? Whose voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased"? Jesus's voice?

quote:
quote:

Than could you please point out were the inconsistency lies? If you don't do it you are practically telling us to ignore your post.

quote:
No pantheon of three. Jesus is God. He is the Father. He is the Holy Spirit.

So you believe Christ had a personality disorder, then? Modalism is rational in and of itself, but given the New Testament it is utterly irrational. As Dale Tuggy writes:

quote:
Modalism has no problems at all with consistency and intelligibility, but it utterly fails as a way to read the New Testament. If modalism were true, it would be a mistake to think that the Father and the Son have a wonderful, loving, cooperative personal relationship. Rather, what we see in the gospels would really amount to a single individual (God) communicating to, relating to, and cooperating with himself in various roles, much as a human suffering from multiple personality disorder or a versatile actor does. This is a terrible reading of the New Testament, which is why nearly all Christians in all ages have (at least, officially and in their clear-headed moments) rejected modalism. The trinitarian interactions therein are not to be thought of as divine delusion, pretending, or deceit.

Source: Dale Tuggy, "The unfinished business of Trinitarian theorizing," p. 13-14 (page reference to pdf-file). Religious Studies 39: 165-183. Cambridge University Press. [Retrieved: January 30 2010]

Hear, hear!

quote:
Originally posted by k-mann:
Than could you please point out were the inconsistency lies?

Easily. God is one not three. The Trinity makes Him three, whereas Jesus makes Him one.
quote:
So you believe Christ had a personality disorder, then? Modalism is rational in and of itself, but given the New Testament it is utterly irrational.

Not modalism. Christ is God. His language describing Father, Son and Holy Spirit is not a personality disorder, but a way of explaining how He could be God of the universe and at the same time be a growing and changing human being.

The Nicene view that the Godhead is both One and Three in a sense that only applies to God and not created beings is more Biblically consistent to me than Jesus praying to himself as if he had an imaginary friend. To me, it's analogous to light being both wave and particle. It doesn't make common sense, but it does make sense in the realm of physics.

quote:
The Nicene view that the Godhead is both One and Three in a sense that only applies to God and not created beings is more Biblically consistent to me than Jesus praying to himself as if he had an imaginary friend.

It's such an old argument that Christians have gotten used to it. Still, God can't be one and three. It amounts to three Gods.

It's not necessary to have Jesus praying to an imaginary friend. Instead you just need to have Jesus being increasingly glorified over the course of His lifetime.

He did not consciously rule the universe as an infant. Instead His life was a journey towards "the Father" and so He spoke as if the Father was another person whose will He did and with whom He was increasingly united. This is why He prayed to the Father.

If He was just sent as a sacrifice He could have been offered up as an infant at the temple instead of the doves.

quote:
Not modalism. Christ is God. His language describing Father, Son and Holy Spirit is not a personality disorder, but a way of explaining how He could be God of the universe and at the same time be a growing and changing human being.

When I read this I get a feeling that you haven't read the NT. Or just the parts Swedenborg allows you to read.

Posted by MSHB (# 9228) on :

quote:
Still, God can't be one and three. It amounts to three Gods.

Bad mathematics. You are applying the mathematics of finite quantities to the infinite. Doesn't work that way.

The (infinite) set of odd numbers equals in size the (infinite) set of even numbers, without having a single number in common ... and if you add them together, the set of all numbers, both odd and even, ... has exactly the same number of members as either of the two earlier sets. In other words: one infinity plus one infinity equals one infinity, not an infinity twice as a large. 1+1=1.

That is because they are infinite. This doesn't work with finite quantities, but it works with infinite quantities, even though it is counter-intuitive. If you add two finite quantities, the sum is larger than either of the original quantities. But if you add two infinite quantities, the sum is NOT larger: A = B = (A+B). The Father = the Son = the Spirit = God. The Father and the Son together are not greater than the Father. This is how the mathematics of infinities works.

If you add one God and another God and another God, you get one God, not three: because they co-exist in all time, space, knowledge, power. This last is a doozy: if the Father wants X and the Son wants not-X, which one prevails? They can only _both_ be omnipotent if they are totally one in purpose - completely indistinguishable and one in power and will.

In fact, you cannot distinguish three Gods. There is no divine characteristic that can separate them. They are not in different places, or at different times. They don't know different things - they don't have secrets from one another that you could use to separate them. One is not stronger than the other. But human persons can be separated on the basis of time, place, knowledge, power...

Because the trinity have omniscience, they know one another's minds perfectly - like total telepathy, no privacy whatsoever. The Father can see all the Son's thoughts as the Son thinks them, and so on. Thus: perfect intimacy and unity of purpose and perfect mutual knowledge - a unity beyond all human experience.

Three divine persons, one God - that makes mathematical and logical sense. Three Gods makes no sense, it is illogical. The three are in one place (everywhere), one time (eternity), with one will, and identical power. And perfect knowledge and agreement of one another's minds. They are truly one. Not a band of fractious gods.

quote:
When I read this I get a feeling that you haven't read the NT. Or just the parts Swedenborg allows you to read.

What gives you that feeling?

quote:
Originally posted by MSHB:
Bad mathematics. You are applying the mathematics of finite quantities to the infinite. Doesn't work that way.

If it worked any way at all it wouldn't be a mystery.

It doesn't work. Christians think of Jesus and the Father as two different beings who are mysteriously one.

quote:
quote:

What gives you that feeling?
Because the New Testament presents us with three different persons - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - who communicate amongst each other. If this is just one person Christ has a personality disorder - or her is evil, as he tries to deceive us.

Can you point out what is impossible with three persons sharing one nature?

MSHB, cool. [Cool]

Much better than my wave/particle.

quote:
Because the New Testament presents us with three different persons - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - who communicate amongst each other.

The New Testament presents us with a metaphor. In this metaphor the Son sits at the right hand of the Father to eternity. We know it is a metaphor because Christianity has always said that they aren't really two but one, and it would clearly be two gods if they were able to sit side by side in separate thrones.
quote:
Can you point out what is impossible with three persons sharing one nature?

Because three omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent beings is impossible. That would not be three persons with one nature but one person with one nature.

Says you. [Razz]

quote:
The New Testament presents us with a metaphor. In this metaphor the Son sits at the right hand of the Father to eternity. We know it is a metaphor because Christianity has always said that they aren't really two but one, and it would clearly be two gods if they were able to sit side by side in separate thrones.

So metaphors for the same have meaningful relationships - and communicate - with each other, then? I'm sorry, but this just won't cut it. If the Trinity is false we are left with a highly disturbed person.

quote:
Because three omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent beings is impossible. That would not be three persons with one nature but one person with one nature..

Why?

Posted by Circuit Rider (# 13088) on :

At the baptism of the Lord ...

Jesus comes up out of the water after baptism.
The Spirit descends in bodily form as a dove.
The Father says, "This is my beloved Son."

Jesus didn't explicitly SAY it, but he sure experienced it.

At the last supper ...

Jesus said, "I and the Father are one."
Jesus also said, "I must go to the Father. I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you."

Jesus first says he will send the comforter, and then says it is he who comes.

I view the Trinity as REVELATIONS of God:

God the FATHER, creator, sustainer.
God the SON, incarnate in human form (seen in both testaments)
God the HOLY SPIRIT, working grace onto, into, and through our lives.

FWIW.

[ 31. January 2010, 21:09: Message edited by: Circuit Rider ]

Freddy, The discussion suggests you are just reading your theology back into the scripture. Now We all do this to a degree but there has to be a point where in all honesty, metaphor and allegory will not stretch. If we insist on our versions as only one then do we not take all objectivity out of the Biblical revelation?

"Nevertheless not my will but thy will be done." -- how does this parse on your reading, Freddy?

quote:
"Nevertheless not my will but thy will be done." -- how does this parse on your reading, Freddy?

Jesus always obeyed the divinity within Him, which He called "Father." His outer humanity became, over the course of a lifetime of obeying the Father's will, united with the Father.

quote:
Freddy, The discussion suggests you are just reading your theology back into the scripture. Now We all do this to a degree but there has to be a point where in all honesty, metaphor and allegory will not stretch. If we insist on our versions as only one then do we not take all objectivity out of the Biblical revelation?

The point is to find an explanation that fits with ALL Scripture. The Trinity fits with some Scripture. The Penal Substitutionary Atonement fits with some Scripture.

But the Trinity denies the Shema and PSA denies a loving God.

quote:
So metaphors for the same have meaningful relationships - and communicate - with each other, then? I'm sorry, but this just won't cut it.

Yes it does. Unless you think that Christ and the Father literally sit side by side on thrones in heaven you are agreeing that the description is metaphoric. It isn't meant to be taken literally, but to provide a figurative description that is easily understood.
quote:
If the Trinity is false we are left with a highly disturbed person.

It isn't false, it just isn't meant to be taken literally. There is a Father, Son and Holy Spirit in Scripture, but they are not separate persons, any more than "God" and "Lord" are separate, or "my Rock" and "my Savior" are separate. They describe the visible God compared with the visible, or the power of God compared with His wisdom. He has many names, but only one person.
quote:
quote:
Because three omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent beings is impossible. That would not be three persons with one nature but one person with one nature..

Why?
By definition there can be only one of these. If you want to try to think outside of that box it's fine with me.

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

quote:
The point is to find an explanation that fits with ALL Scripture. The Trinity fits with some Scripture. The Penal Substitutionary Atonement fits with some Scripture.

I agree.

But I don't think your model fits with ALL scripture, anymore than the Trinity does. [Big Grin]

Could it be that truth is multiform? *Gasp* [Eek!]

quote:
quote:

Jesus always obeyed the divinity within Him, which He called "Father." His outer humanity became, over the course of a lifetime of obeying the Father's will, united with the Father.
No it didn't. This was at the end, and they weren't united, clearly -- he says as much flat out. And about the most important decision of his entire life.

[ 01. February 2010, 02:03: Message edited by: mousethief ]

quote:
This was at the end, and they weren't united, clearly -- he says as much flat out. And about the most important decision of his entire life.

The darkest time is just before the dawn. The cross was the final and most terrible struggle in Jesus' glorification, and it therefore included an appearance of great and final separation from the Father, even abandonment.

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
But I don't think your model fits with ALL scripture, anymore than the Trinity does. [Big Grin]

It is important that it fit ALL Scripture. If not then look for a better model.

The assumption here, and it may or may not be the truth, is that Scripture is authoritative in these kinds of issues.

quote:
quote:

It is important that it fit ALL Scripture. If not then look for a better model.

The assumption here, and it may or may not be the truth, is that Scripture is authoritative in these kinds of issues.

I assume:

1) Scripture is authoritative
2) God cannot speak to humanity in a vacuum (i.e. without thoughts, culture, worldviews, subjectivity, limitations of understanding and perception etc. etc. etc.)

So one model cannot possibly fit all scripture. And thank God for that.

I'm struggling to put your particular brand of Christology in a box but I don't think I've heard it much before (except perhaps in the Monophysites?). But I did join the discussion late so perhaps I'm just confused....

IMO, if Jesus is God and not human, it makes a mockery of 99.5% of the NT

If Jesus is human and God, then you're talking about the Trinity. I don't see the distinction.

If you believe humanity and God are the same, but just in different forms....well that's different again....

If there is no ontological distinction between Jesus as a human and Jesus as God, then we are all essentially God

If you maintain the distinction, you have to live with a nonsensical idea. 1 plus 1 does not equal one.

I do however agree with you that the Trinity is metaphorical. [Big Grin] And I think a number of the world's brilliant theologians would agree when pressed. Starting with St. Augustine....and most recently, John Macquarrie, regis prof of Oxford.

But hey, we're not supposed to talk about this stuff. Its supposed to upset the laity. (Or was it the clergy?)
[Roll Eyes]

[ 01. February 2010, 13:04: Message edited by: Evensong ]

quote:
I assume:
1) Scripture is authoritative
2) God cannot speak to humanity in a vacuum (i.e. without thoughts, culture, worldviews, subjectivity, limitations of understanding and perception etc. etc. etc.)
So one model cannot possibly fit all scripture.

If all Scripture has one source in God, that is, if God is its true author, then there must be one model that fits all Scripture.

Anyway, I believe mine does. This isn't an issue for anyone in my denomination.
quote:
I'm struggling to put your particular brand of Christology in a box but I don't think I've heard it much before (except perhaps in the Monophysites?).

Swedenborgian.
quote:
If Jesus is human and God, then you're talking about the Trinity. I don't see the distinction.

Jesus is both human and God. He is God made visble. Or as Paul said: "In Him dwells all the fulness of the Godhead bodily."
quote:
I do however agree with you that the Trinity is metaphorical. [Big Grin] And I think a number of the world's brilliant theologians would agree when pressed. Starting with St. Augustine....and most recently, John Macquarrie, regis prof of Oxford.

Thanks. I expect that everyone actually agrees with this - at least once they think about it or are aware of the impossible imagery associated with the Trinity.

quote:
quote:

So you're like a non-trinitarian Nestorian, then? (Remember: the Bible tells that the Logos became flesh; not that the Logos were two persons.)

quote:
But the Trinity denies the Shema.

Why?

quote:
It isn't false, it just isn't meant to be taken literally. There is a Father, Son and Holy Spirit in Scripture, but they are not separate persons, any more than "God" and "Lord" are separate, or "my Rock" and "my Savior" are separate. They describe the visible God compared with the visible, or the power of God compared with His wisdom. He has many names, but only one person.

Which means Christ has a personality disorder. If we assume that you are right in that Christ is one divine person with a divine person within himself we still have one person left. That would mean that Christ has atleast two personalities - and thus a personality disorder. Names and 'metaphors' cannot communicate with each other.

quote:
By definition there can be only one of these.

Says who?

quote:
So you're like a non-trinitarian Nestorian, then? (Remember: the Bible tells that the Logos became flesh; not that the Logos were two persons.)

Christ was not two persons. More like, as in the Athanasian Creed:
quote:
For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man; so God and Man is one Christ;
The Logos was the voice of God, which became flesh in Christ. He is therefore the visible God, in whom dwells the invisible God as a soul in the body.
quote:
quote:
But the Trinity denies the Shema.

Why?
Because it is not one God.
quote:
If we assume that you are right in that Christ is one divine person with a divine person within himself we still have one person left. That would mean that Christ has atleast two personalities - and thus a personality disorder. Names and 'metaphors' cannot communicate with each other.

He is not one person inside of another. He is one person, the divine within Him being like the soul in the body. It does not take a personality disorder to be in touch with your inner being.
quote:
quote:
By definition there can be only one of these.

Says who?
It's the "omni" part of omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence. But don't take my word for it.

quote:

quote:

Jesus is both human and God. He is God made visble. Or as Paul said: "In Him dwells all the fulness of the Godhead bodily."

If you believe Jesus is both human and God, how do your views differ from the Trinity?

If he is God in human form, or God only pretending to be a man, then he is not fully human and this contradicts 99.5% of the New Testament.

How can you say this view fits all of scripture? Quite the opposite.

I think that Freddy (and presumably Swedenborg, being a scientist) can't get past the semantics and conceptual limitations of the created world. Therefore anything outside the normal framework must be metaphor.

As far as the Trinity goes, personally, I can believe six impossible things before breakfast. Or at least Three. Just like a scientist can shoot a single particle through one slit yet get a wave that goes through two slits and cause a wave interference pattern. Impossible but true.

ETA: And Swedenborg only knew Newtonian physics, of course, a very absolute view of the natural world, very Enlightenment.

[ 02. February 2010, 02:49: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

quote:
If you believe Jesus is both human and God, how do your views differ from the Trinity?

I seem to remember something in the Athanasian Creed about the Father and the Holy Spirit being separate persons - three in total.

quote:

All that is needed to fit scripture is the idea that Jesus was born with a limited, finite human mind and body to start with, but instead of having a normal soul like the rest of us have, his soul was the infinite Divine itself. Over the course of his life up through the resurrection, he gradually and successively glorified that human to make it perfect and divine, completely united to the infinite. No need to resort to dividing the person of God into three.

quote:
Therefore anything outside the normal framework must be metaphor.

How does the idea of a flesh and blood person being the creator of the universe qualify either as a metaphor or as being within the normal framework?

quote:
As far as the Trinity goes, personally, I can believe six impossible things before breakfast. Or at least Three. Just like a scientist can shoot a single particle through one slit yet get a wave that goes through two slits and cause a wave interference pattern. Impossible but true.

That still sounds to me like you're saying you believe it because it's impossible. I know that's not actually why you believe it; it just doesn't make for a persuasive argument. Neither does comparing the size of two infinite sets because no matter how interesting it is as set theory, the Athanasian Creed is not about sets or mathematics. (Besides, if you consider the set of all real numbers - the "omni" set - it is not only infinite, it's bigger than the other two sets combined. [Razz] ) These comparisons might serve well as illustrations of the concept, but they utterly fail as proofs or even demonstrations.

What other two sets?

The odd and even numbers. The set of all real numbers is infinitely bigger than the set of all integers.

Yes, yes that's true. Although "infinitely bigger" in transfinite numbers is a tautology.

Yes, it is a tautology, but it serves so well as rhetoric! [Biased]

quote:
That still sounds to me like you're saying you believe it because it's impossible. I know that's not actually why you believe it; it just doesn't make for a persuasive argument. Neither does comparing the size of two infinite sets because no matter how interesting it is as set theory, the Athanasian Creed is not about sets or mathematics.

The funny thing is, I'll bet she knew that.

quote:
These comparisons might serve well as illustrations of the concept, but they utterly fail as proofs or even demonstrations.
Strangely, she wasn't offering them as proofs or demonstrations. So that's quite irrelevant.

quote:
quote:

[QUOTE] How can you say this view fits all of scripture? Quite the opposite.

All that is needed to fit scripture is the idea that Jesus was born with a limited, finite human mind and body to start with, but instead of having a normal soul like the rest of us have, his soul was the infinite Divine itself. Over the course of his life up through the resurrection, he gradually and successively glorified that human to make it perfect and divine, completely united to the infinite. No need to resort to dividing the person of God into three.

If he had a human mind and the soul of God at birth, he wasn't human. Human beings are heart, mind and soul.

If it was a case of God subsuming the human part of Jesus over time, well then it becomes a case of spiritual possession. *eeeeew*

Nope. Doesn't wash

[ 02. February 2010, 05:26: Message edited by: Evensong ]

quote:

My views differ from the Trinity because instead of three persons there is one person, namely the Lord God Jesus Christ, the Creator, Redeemer and Savior of the world, in whom is the Divine Trinity of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The Father is God as He exists invisibly above all human understanding. The Son is God as He can be known and loved by humanity. The Holy Spirit is the Divine reaching out into the life of every person, enlightening and guiding them.
quote:
If he is God in human form, or God only pretending to be a man, then he is not fully human and this contradicts 99.5% of the New Testament.

He was not pretending to be a man, He was truly born on earth as a man, but with a divine soul.
quote:

It fits Scripture perfectly and contradicts no Scripture. But a Trinity of three persons contradicts the idea of one God.

quote:
I think that Freddy (and presumably Swedenborg, being a scientist) can't get past the semantics and conceptual limitations of the created world. Therefore anything outside the normal framework must be metaphor.

So you think that Jesus really does sit beside the Father in heaven? This isn't meant figuratively?
quote:
ETA: And Swedenborg only knew Newtonian physics, of course, a very absolute view of the natural world, very Enlightenment.

The point isn't the absolute nature of God. I'm sure we all agree that this is above human comprehension. The point is how our understanding of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit of Scripture reflects that reality.

Quantum mechanics may give us a way of appreciating that things are not what they seem, but the issue here is how we think about and approach God. If our conception of Him is mistaken, as opposed to being merely limited, then this inhibits our ability to worship. The Trinity of three persons is mistaken because people then separate God and Jesus and think in terms of two, or three, divine beings.

quote:
My views differ from the Trinity because instead of three persons there is one person, namely the Lord God Jesus Christ, the Creator, Redeemer and Savior of the world, in whom is the Divine Trinity of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The Father is God as He exists invisibly above all human understanding. The Son is God as He can be known and loved by humanity. The Holy Spirit is the Divine reaching out into the life of every person, enlightening and guiding them.

Thank you for explaining Freddy. I see where you are coming from. However, I don't see how your construction explains how Jesus prayed and claimed a relationship to the Father in the gospels. If what you are saying is right, he was just praying and relating to another aspect of himself rather than a real, non metaphoric, entity which he,in his humanity, claimed to be submitting to and obeying.

quote:
Christ was not two persons. More like, as in the Athanasian Creed:
quote:
For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man; so God and Man is one Christ;

So he had three personalities, then?

quote:
Because it is not one God?

Why?

quote:
It's the "omni" part of omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence. But don't take my word for it.

Trust me; I won't.

My main point, which you don't seem to get, is that given the data of the New Testament we could either infer a Trinity or we must say that Christ has a personality disorder. If God was 'his inner being' it would still be himself. And what about the baptism of Christ?

quote:
Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.” (Luke 3,21-22)
Here we see not that Christ experiences something, but that the people experience three persons acting at the same time. If this was indeed only one person we must infer that Christ had a personality disorder. Or, perhaps, that he - as God - was evil. (He tricked people into believing falsehood.)

You can say what you want; the New Testament and modalism doesn't go together. (You claim that your view isn't modalist; but the fact is that your view is identical to that which is called 'modalism.' If it quacks like a duck...)

quote:
If he had a human mind and the soul of God at birth, he wasn't human. Human beings are heart, mind and soul.

So you think that Jesus as to His soul was not God?
quote:
If it was a case of God subsuming the human part of Jesus over time, well then it becomes a case of spiritual possession. *eeeeew*

That's a pretty terrible way to look at it. Jesus did not have a human father, but the Divine itself was His Father. So He inherited humanity from His mother and divinity from His Father. Throughout the course of His lifetime, through obeying the will of the Father as opposed to the dictates of the world, He was glorified. He was not "possessed" but willingly did the Father's will, and went to the Father. this is why He described the Father as in Him:
quote:
John 10:38 "...though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him.”

John 14:10 "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves."

I guess I can see how that might sound like possession, but I think that the idea that the Father was in the Son is clear. That the Son was also in the Father describes their unity.

So do they sit side by side in heaven, or are they within one another?

quote:

The scriptures are crystal clear on this. Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father.

quote:
I don't see how your construction explains how Jesus prayed and claimed a relationship to the Father in the gospels. If what you are saying is right, he was just praying and relating to another aspect of himself rather than a real, non metaphoric, entity which he,in his humanity, claimed to be submitting to and obeying.

We talk about getting in touch with our inner child. Jesus was getting in touch with His inner divinity, which He described as the Father within Him. When He says "I and My Father are one" and "He who has seen Me has seen the Father" He is not speaking as if the Father was someone other than Him.

Jesus' prayers to the Father are the only way we can think of His inner processes in His struggle. In the torture of these combats God seemed far away from Him, the dictates of His divinity and of His humanity diverged greatly. But in the end He did the will of the Father and commended His spirit into the Father's hands.

[ 02. February 2010, 06:19: Message edited by: Freddy ]

quote:
quote:

The scriptures are crystal clear on this. Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father.
Then you really do worship two beings. I can't believe that anyone doesn't see this as a metaphor.

quote:
quote:
I don't see how your construction explains how Jesus prayed and claimed a relationship to the Father in the gospels. If what you are saying is right, he was just praying and relating to another aspect of himself rather than a real, non metaphoric, entity which he,in his humanity, claimed to be submitting to and obeying.

We talk about getting in touch with our inner child. Jesus was getting in touch with His inner divinity, which He described as the Father within Him. When He says "I and My Father are one" and "He who has seen Me has seen the Father" He is not speaking as if the Father was someone other than Him.

Jesus' prayers to the Father are the only way we can think of His inner processes in His struggle. In the torture of these combats God seemed far away from Him, the dictates of His divinity and of His humanity diverged greatly. But in the end He did the will of the Father and commended His spirit into the Father's hands.

This seems inconsistent to me. You say his prayers are inner processes. If God seemed far from him in his struggles, you are suggesting as Evensong remarked, a schizophrenic God. The Trinity is in fact a mystery, yet to deny Jesus had a God to pray to is to reduce his high priestly prayer in John to rhetoric. In effect, you make his prayers lies as according to you, they are not what they seem.

Is it not easier to simply accept that Christ was God and the Father is God and their oneness is incomprehensible but a fact nonetheless?

Incidentally, what do you make of the plural pronouns in Genesis? "Lest the man ..become like one of US"

quote:
My main point, which you don't seem to get, is that given the data of the New Testament we could either infer a Trinity or we must say that Christ has a personality disorder. If God was 'his inner being' it would still be himself.

Jesus prayed to God as if He were another, but He also said that the Father was in Him. This isn't a personality disorder, it's the way that the Gospels describe what was going on with Him.
quote:
And what about the baptism of Christ?

Christ's baptism portrayed for all to see the relationship of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In the Bible we often see deeply symbolic metaphors miraculously realized in stunning events such as this. The display in no way means that the Trinity is not within Christ as He later says.
quote:
You can say what you want; the New Testament and modalism doesn't go together. (You claim that your view isn't modalist; but the fact is that your view is identical to that which is called 'modalism.' If it quacks like a duck...)

You don't know what modalism is. From Wikipedia:
quote:
In Christianity, Sabellianism, (also known as modalism, modalistic monarchianism, or modal monarchism) is the nontrinitarian belief that the Heavenly Father, Resurrected Son and Holy Spirit are different modes or aspects of one God, as perceived by the believer, rather than three distinct persons in God Himself.
This is not what I believe. Rather, Father, Son and Holy Spirit are realities, not just distinctions perceived by the believer. From the same article:
quote:
Both Michael Servetus and Emanuel Swedenborg have been interpreted as being proponents of Modalism. Neither, however, described God as appearing in three modes. It is not necessary to describe God in three modes to be Oneness. Both describe God as the One Divine Person, Jesus Christ, who has a Divine Soul of Love, Divine Mind of Truth, and Divine Body of Activity. Jesus, through a process of uniting his human form to the Divine, became entirely One with His Divine Soul from the Father to the point of having no distinction of personality.
That's not modalism.

quote:
This seems inconsistent to me. You say his prayers are inner processes. If God seemed far from him in his struggles, you are suggesting as Evensong remarked, a schizophrenic God.

Jesus Himself sometimes described the Father as within Him and other times as if He were another person. This inconsistency reflects His alternating states of glorification and exinanition.
quote:
The Trinity is in fact a mystery, yet to deny Jesus had a God to pray to is to reduce his high priestly prayer in John to rhetoric. In effect, you make his prayers lies as according to you, they are not what they seem.

They were not lies or rhetoric. His strength really did seem far from Him. The divine seemed far away. He spoke to His Father as if to another person.
quote:
Is it not easier to simply accept that Christ was God and the Father is God and their oneness is incomprehensible but a fact nonetheless?

If it is incomprehensible why get so disturbed about a slightly different way of describing it?
quote:
Incidentally, what do you make of the plural pronouns in Genesis? "Lest the man ..become like one of US"

The early stories in Genesis are not meant to be taken literally. God is speaking as if to a celestial court of angels or immortals.

Adam and Eve were not literal individuals, and they would not really have become immortal if they had gotten their hands on the fruit. Instead the Tree of Life stands for God Himself and the life that has its source in Him. The other tree stands for the appearance that we don't live from God but from ourselves. Having chosen the one, the other was no longer an option, so Adam and Eve were removed from the garden.

Freddy
quote:
Quantum mechanics may give us a way of appreciating that things are not what they seem, but the issue here is how we think about and approach God. If our conception of Him is mistaken, as opposed to being merely limited, then this inhibits our ability to worship. The Trinity of three persons is mistaken because people then separate God and Jesus and think in terms of two, or three, divine beings.
Noooo. IMO God is three persons in one divine essence, a kind of existence (since there isn't a better term I can think of) that has no parallels in creation. You might not see it that way, but I see no reason to trade my view and most of the rest of Christianity's just because you and Swedenborg assert differently. You just slide over more bits of scripture than most do with the metaphor explanation when the bits get tricky and "contradictory". It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to a strict monotheist like yourself to read the bits about the divine Three and have to consider whether the Bible describes an actual spiritual reality. To promote the divine truth of the One God in the face of seemingly three descriptors, you put it all down to metaphor. I don't. If the Bible says there is One God and also describes a Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, I do my best with my little human pea brain to believe they are a particle and a wave at the same time. That's me. Believe what you like.

(Whew. This is mirror-image deja vu all over again. I argued this from the Godhead-is-not-only-Three-but-also-completely-One side with Andrew before his miraculous conversion to atheism. I think with the Trinity someone's going to disagree violently. Luckily, I just humbly accept this reality. [Biased] )

And:
quote:
quote:
That still sounds to me like you're saying you believe it because it's impossible. I know that's not actually why you believe it; it just doesn't make for a persuasive argument. Neither does comparing the size of two infinite sets because no matter how interesting it is as set theory, the Athanasian Creed is not about sets or mathematics.

The funny thing is, I'll bet she knew that.

quote:
These comparisons might serve well as illustrations of the concept, but they utterly fail as proofs or even demonstrations.
Strangely, she wasn't offering them as proofs or demonstrations. So that's quite irrelevant.

Thanks, mt. You saved me time.

quote:
Freddy: a slightly different way of describing it?

Freddy this is not true. You are trying to say there is no real difference between a 'trinitarian' view and a 'oneness' view. The difference is not slight nor is it a different way of describing the same thing.One view sees a separation of personality and function in the context of a unity of direction, the other sees no such separation. Since your view finds any separation abhorrent you resort to linguistics. I think God uses metaphor to describe himself in many places but you think he actually describes himself as a metaphor. now the issue becomes what is the reality. You simply cannot say metaphor is reality and expect to satisfy since metaphor is by definition merely a way of understanding various aspects of same. I think your theology is really a convoluted tautology.

quote:
God is three persons in one divine essence, a kind of existence (since there isn't a better term I can think of) that has no parallels in creation.

Yes, it is impossible to imagine. Because it is impossible. So it's called a mystery and Christians are left worshiping three gods.
quote:
You just slide over more bits of scripture than most do with the metaphor explanation when the bits get tricky and "contradictory".

I don't slide over any Scripture. You're the one sliding over it. How is the Father then "in" the Son? Do the Father and Son literally sit side by side, and if they do how is it that if you have seen the Son you have seen the Father? Are they identical?

The terms are most certainly meant metaphorically. It's just a question of grasping the metaphor.
quote:

(Whew. This is mirror-image deja vu all over again. I argued this from the Godhead-is-not-only-Three-but-also-completely-One side with Andrew before his miraculous conversion to atheism.

Yes, we all went round and round with him. Naturally I loved his position that the Father was the only one who was God, because I think that's where the Trinity actually ends up in people's minds. It certainly ends up there in academic Christianity, which quickly and decisively denies foolish tales such as that Christ was born of a virgin, was resurrected from the dead, and was the Son of God. [Disappointed]

quote:
quote:
Freddy: a slightly different way of describing it?

Freddy this is not true. You are trying to say there is no real difference between a 'trinitarian' view and a 'oneness' view.
I'm not saying there is no difference. You said "their oneness is incomprehensible" and so I was asking why you are then so worked up about a different explanation. Why cling to a view that is incomprehensible?
quote:
I think God uses metaphor to describe himself in many places but you think he actually describes himself as a metaphor.

I'm glad that you don't actually think He is literally "a Rock." But He Himself says that He describes Himself in metaphor:
quote:
John 16:25 “These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; but the time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but I will tell you plainly about the Father."
If "figurative language" is not metaphor, then what is it?
quote:
You simply cannot say metaphor is reality and expect to satisfy since metaphor is by definition merely a way of understanding various aspects of same.

Yes, symbols represent reality, they aren't reality themselves. The Trinity is a truth that describes a reality in symbolic terms. There aren't literally three individuals who together somehow make up God.

quote:
Christ's baptism portrayed for all to see the relationship of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In the Bible we often see deeply symbolic metaphors miraculously realized in stunning events such as this. The display in no way means that the Trinity is not within Christ as He later says.

But we see these three persons communicating and acting upon each other. This implies personality. Either real personality - as in a Trinity - or unreal personality - as in a personality disorder. Or that Christ was evil.

quote:
You don't know what modalism is.

The part you quoted from Wikipedia was about Sabellianism. Which is just one aspect of modalism.

quote:
Yes, it is impossible to imagine. Because it is impossible.

I cannot imagine sets or prime numbers. Therefore they don't exist. I can imagine unicorns and werewolfs. Therefore they do exist. [Roll Eyes]

[ 02. February 2010, 11:33: Message edited by: k-mann ]

Freddy:
quote:
I think that you are too creation bound in your view of God.

quote:
quote:

If his soul was God, then he wasn't a human being. He was God.

If my soul was not Evensong, a unique individual soul created by God, but God, then I would be God, not Evensong.

quote:

quote:
Both Michael Servetus and Emanuel Swedenborg have been interpreted as being proponents of Modalism. Neither, however, described God as appearing in three modes. It is not necessary to describe God in three modes to be Oneness. Both describe God as the One Divine Person, Jesus Christ, who has a Divine Soul of Love, Divine Mind of Truth, and Divine Body of Activity. Jesus, through a process of uniting his human form to the Divine, became entirely One with His Divine Soul from the Father to the point of having no distinction of personality.
That's not modalism.
So we have a human mind and body and God as soul. We have two parts to Jesus intially (one human, one God) that become God eventually.

Doesn't work. You have no original human being. You mention the Shema. One is to worship God with heart, mind and soul. In this case, Jesus would be worshiping himself.

Jesus is theocentric in 99.5% of the gospels. He worships the father, not himself.

quote:
Freddy:
quote:
No. The view above is too heavenly bound. Jesus is not really Jesus of Nazareth, because his soul is God.

But I take my hat off to you Freddy for trying to make the Trinity more comprehensible.

IMO, it has to happen for Christianity to move forward

quote:
But we see these three persons communicating and acting upon each other. This implies personality. Either real personality - as in a Trinity - or unreal personality - as in a personality disorder. Or that Christ was evil.

The vision involved in Christ's baptism was a symbolic representation of the reality, not a depiction of the reality.

The Holy Spirit is not a dove, nor is it whatever it was that was seen that was "like a dove." The Father is not really thunder, nor does He speak in a loud voice out of the sky.

Instead this vision symbolized the way that the Father, who as Jesus says is "in Me", was united to Him by what is represented by His baptism.

Baptism normally represents the washing away of evils that is involved in the process of rebirth. In Jesus' case, since there was no evil, it represents the glorification process by which He was united with the divinity that is called "the Father." So it descends on Him, like a dove.
quote:
quote:
You don't know what modalism is.

The part you quoted from Wikipedia was about Sabellianism. Which is just one aspect of modalism.
Maybe you can tell us what the difference is.

quote:

Impossible things are impossible. The point is that we are warned many times not to worship multiple gods. The Trinity as understood in Christianity is the worship of three gods.

quote:
quote:

If his soul was God, then he wasn't a human being. He was God.
What is a human being? How do you see this emphasized in the Gospels? Having a divine soul in no way precludes Jesus from being human - by which I mean that He walked on earth, preached, loved humanity, and suffered as a genuine person. The divinity within Him did not immediately manifest itself, but did so gradually over time - or so the Gospels seem to indicate.
quote:
So we have a human mind and body and God as soul. We have two parts to Jesus intially (one human, one God) that become God eventually.

Doesn't work. You have no original human being. You mention the Shema. One is to worship God with heart, mind and soul. In this case, Jesus would be worshiping himself.

Jesus is theocentric in 99.5% of the gospels. He worships the father, not himself.

So Jesus and God are not really one then. If the Son truly and eternally worships the Father then there really are two Gods, or else Andrew is right and the Father is the only one who is really God.

I would say, instead, that Jesus' prayers to the Father are a description of an internal dialogue that is mirrored in similar ways within every person. Except that whereas our inner debates are purely human, His were with the divine itself.
quote:
Freddy:
quote:

No. The view above is too heavenly bound. Jesus is not really Jesus of Nazareth, because his soul is God.
Neither. It is biblical. Jesus really is Jesus of Nazareth, and the Father dwelt within Him just as He says.

[ 02. February 2010, 13:25: Message edited by: Freddy ]

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
the divine within Him being like the soul in the body.

'Soul' is a Greek concept, quite alien to Jewish thought.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
the divine within Him being like the soul in the body.

'Soul' is a Greek concept, quite alien to Jewish thought.
So are you saying that its use in Scripture is meaningless? Words translated "soul" appear 341 times.

A look at the context shows that it sometimes means simply the person himself/herself. Other times it evidently refers to the inner person.

Does it matter?

The translation is misleading.

nephesh's root word is "to breathe." Since those who are breathing still have "life," one of the meanings for nephesh is "life." So when you stop breathing, you die. That’s nothing like the Greek idea of soul; it’s simply the breath of life. It’s Psuche in the Gk NT

ruach and neshamah are wind, air or spirit - pnoe in Gk – again not like the Greek idea of soul.

The Gk Pneuma is spirit or air – as in the Holy Spirit

Where the bible uses ‘soul’, it is take to personify the whole person, not a bit that goes to heaven afterwards. Similar personifications are: heart, reins

Genesis 1:21 says that animals have ‘souls’ if you are going to insist on a Gk understanding.

According to the Biblical Hebrew E-MagazineThe soul is the whole of the person, the unity of the body, breath and mind. It is not some immaterial spiritual entity it is you, all of you, your whole being or self.

George Eldon Ladd in The Pattern of New Testament Truth, pp. 13-40 argues that Christians who read Gk thinking into the biblical use of ‘soul’ are dualists and heading towards Gnosticism.

For Ladd, as for all orthodox Christians: Salvation does not consist of freeing the soul from its engagement in the material world. On the contrary, ultimate redemption will involve the redemption of the whole man and of the world to which man belongs. This is the theology behind the doctrine of bodily resurrection, which only begins to emerge in the Old Testament but which is clearly developed in Judaism and the New Testament…… The contrast between the Greek and Hebrew views of God and the world is reinforced further by the Old Testament anthropology. Hebrew man is not like the Greek man — a union of soul and body and thus related to two worlds. He is flesh animated by God's breath (ruach), who is thus constituted a living soul (nephesh) (Gen. 2:7; 7:22). Nephesh (soul) is not a part of man; it is man himself viewed as a living creature. Nephesh is life, both of men (Ex. 21:23; Ps. 33:19) and of animals (Prov. 12:10).

Hence the creed talks of ‘the Resurrection of the BODY.’

Leo, are you arguing that the New Testament usage of the term is incorrect? What is the meaning of the word in these passages:
quote:
Matthew 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 16:26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

Luke 12:20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’

Acts 2:27 For You will not leave my soul in Hades, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Revelation 6:9 When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held.

Revelation 18:13 horses and chariots, and bodies and souls of men.

What are these "souls"?

For my purposes I don't need the soul to be anything fancy. It is just a person's inner part, the real self that is not the body, and not necessarily the conscious mind. This is clearly meant in these passages.

quote:
quote:

Impossible things are impossible. The point is that we are warned many times not to worship multiple gods. The Trinity as understood in Christianity is the worship of three gods.
Whatever. Keep asserting that all you want.

It appears to be a case of the "If I can't see it, it must not be there" syndrome.

quote:
quote:

The vision involved in Christ's baptism was a symbolic representation of the reality, not a depiction of the reality.
Says who? And what is it a symbol of? Delusion?

quote:
quote:

You claim this, yet deliver no arguments for this claim. Thank you for that. Now I can ignore you.

quote:
quote:

Says who? And what is it a symbol of? Delusion?

The Holy Spirit is not a dove, nor is it whatever it was that was seen that was "like a dove." The Father is not really thunder, nor does He speak in a loud voice out of the sky.

Instead this vision symbolized the way that the Father, who as Jesus says is "in Me", was united to Him by what is represented by His baptism.

Baptism normally represents the washing away of evils that is involved in the process of rebirth. In Jesus' case, since there was no evil, it represents the glorification process by which He was united with the divinity that is called "the Father." So it descends on Him, like a dove.

This is just my denominational perspective.

symbol: something that stands for or suggests something else by reason of relationship, association, convention, or accidental resemblance; especially : a visible sign of something invisible

represent : to serve as the counterpart or image of

depict: to represent by or as if by a picture <a mural depicting a famous battle>

You're making a distinction that doesn't exist.

quote:

quote:
quote:

You claim this, yet deliver no arguments for this claim. Thank you for that. Now I can ignore you.
I have to disagree. I think Freddy has done an admirable job in trying to explain his position. He has also done it with patience and goodwill.

If you choose to disagree, that's fine, but don't attack his efforts to deliver his arguments by claiming he hasn't any.

quote:
You're making a distinction that doesn't exist.

If a symbolic representation and a depiction are the same thing, then I'll use different terms.

The events that took place at Christ's baptism were not a literal description of the relationship between Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Rather they were a visual and aural illustration of a corresponding relationship within Christ.

This illustration was seen at His baptism because baptism represents a person's regeneration or rebirth, and Christ's case, His glorification.

quote:
I have to disagree.

Thank you Evensong for those gracious comments. My arguments may be wrong but they aren't non-existent.

At the same time snide remarks are part of the fun here, so I take no offense. We are, after all, idling away our time for each other's amusement. Not exactly settling world issues. [Biased]

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

I have to disagree. I think Freddy has done an admirable job in trying to explain his position. He has also done it with patience and goodwill.

If you choose to disagree, that's fine, but don't attack his efforts to deliver his arguments by claiming he hasn't any.

I must disagree. Freddy just says 'it's impossible' without arguing the point. My question, then, is: Why is it impossible for God to be three persons? Just saying 'the word god excludes this' doesn't do. Because the discussion is just that; what is God like. He begs the question by using his conclusion as a premise.

quote:
Why is it impossible for God to be three persons? Just saying 'the word god excludes this' doesn't do.

It's not the word "god" it's the prefix "omni" - as in "omnipotent." Two persons can't both be omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent without being one and the same.

Is it that you don't think that these "omni's" apply to God? Or that three can in fact be these things without being one and the same? Or that there is a category shift such that what we think of as the rules that govern these puny human concepts simply aren't valid when speaking of God?

quote:
It's not the word "god" it's the prefix "omni" - as in "omnipotent." Two persons can't both be omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent without being one and the same.

Why?

quote:
Why?

Didn't you already ask this? If one person has all power there isn't any left for another person to have all of. If one person knows everything then what another all-knowing person thinks can be no different. If one person is omnipresent, then there can't be any distinction between where he is and where another omnipresent person is.

The only conclusion is that they are one and the same, occupy the same place, think the same things, have the same power and are therefore one.

Since Jesus said that He and the Father were one, and that He was in the Father and the Father in Him, this seems perfectly consistent.

Why is it so hard to get past the imagery of the one praying to the other, sitting beside each other, voices and doves from heaven, and the one doing the other's will? It seems to me that these are obvious metaphors that can't possibly be literally true of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent God.

Just a few comments.

quote:
quote:
Why?

Didn't you already ask this?
Yes, but my question was for proof, not for you to restate your claims.

quote:
If one person has all power there isn't any left for another person to have all of.

This treats omnipotency as a batch of cookies. But omnipotency just means that a person has the power to do whatever He wants in the way He wants it, providing it's logical. (It is impossible - even for God - to make married bachelors and circular squares.) It's not as if potency (power) is something that disappears. And of it was; we wouldn't have any potency or power. Which is an absurd position.

quote:
If one person knows everything then what another all-knowing person thinks can be no different.

Again, this treats knowledge as a batch of cookies. Does your knowing 2+2= 4 mean that I cannot know it?

quote:
I must disagree. Freddy just says 'it's impossible' without arguing the point. My question, then, is: Why is it impossible for God to be three persons?

Because Jesus was a monotheist

Because three does not equal one and one doesn't equal three.

Because unless God is the same as man Jesus cannot be both fully God and fully man.

The Chalcedonian definition of the Trinity is a paradox. They couldn't decide whether Jesus was a man or God, so they said he was both.

It's a compromise, its not a solution

That's why its metaphorical

quote:
“Man can believe the impossible, but can never believe the improbable” ---Oscar Wilde

[ 04. February 2010, 12:36: Message edited by: Evensong ]

quote:
This treats omnipotency as a batch of cookies. But omnipotency just means that a person has the power to do whatever He wants in the way He wants it, providing it's logical. (It is impossible - even for God - to make married bachelors and circular squares.) It's not as if potency (power) is something that disappears. And of it was; we wouldn't have any potency or power. Which is an absurd position.

Actually, this is the Christian position. God has all power and we have none. Jesus said "Without Me you can do nothing." Of course that is something that needs explaining, because it makes no sense at first reading.

I'm not saying that two people can't share power, or that power is like cookies. But "all" is an exclusive descriptor. Two people can't have "all" of anything without being the same person. This is true of power, knowledge, and presence.

I would guess, though, that you deny that God is omnipresent. Otherwise the Father and Son could not sit on adjoining thrones:
quote:
Matthew 26:64 Jesus said to him, “It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

Mark 14:62 Jesus said, “I am. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven.”

Mark 16:19 So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God.

Acts 7:55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God,

Acts 7:56 and said, “Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!”

Romans 8:34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

Colossians 3:1 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.

Hebrews 1:3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

Hebrews 8:1 Now this is the main point of the things we are saying: We have such a High Priest, who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens

Hebrews 10:12 But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God,

Hebrews 12:2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 Peter 3:22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.

Now I would say that these passages don't mean that Christ literally sits or stands at God's right hand. They are meant figuratively, the "right hand" then, as now, standing for strength or power (as in "His right hand man"). But someone who took this useful imagery literally might struggle with the concept of omnipresence.

quote:
Leo, are you arguing that the New Testament usage of the term is incorrect? What is the meaning of the word in these passages:
quote:
Matthew 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 16:26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

Luke 12:20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’

Acts 2:27 For You will not leave my soul in Hades, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Revelation 6:9 When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held.

Revelation 18:13 horses and chariots, and bodies and souls of men.

What are these "souls"?

For my purposes I don't need the soul to be anything fancy. It is just a person's inner part, the real self that is not the body, and not necessarily the conscious mind. This is clearly meant in these passages.

No - your interpretation of those verses is incorrect - if you read them again with my (the linguistic) definition of soul as the whole person, they make perfect sense.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
No - your interpretation of those verses is incorrect - if you read them again with my (the linguistic) definition of soul as the whole person, they make perfect sense.

Umm, did you even read the passages?

These in particular don't fit with the definition of "soul" as the whole person:
quote:

1 Thessalonians 5:23 and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless

Revelation 18:13 bodies and souls of men.

In these passages the soul is clearly distinguished from the body, and in some from the mind and heart.

I grant that in some passages the meaning of "soul" is simply "person", but even in those passages it is taken to mean "the real person." Many passages talk about "my soul," which seems more likely to indicate "my inner self" than "my body."

quote:
quote:
I must disagree. Freddy just says 'it's impossible' without arguing the point. My question, then, is: Why is it impossible for God to be three persons?

Because Jesus was a monotheist
But this begs the question. The question is wether Trinitarianism is monotheistic belief or not. You assume that it is, and use this assumption as a premise in your argument. You are in practice saying: Trinitarianism isn't monotheistic because it isn't monotheistic. But I disagree.

Monotheism doesn't necessarily mean that there is just one divine person; it holds that there is just one divine nature or being. The greek pantheon didn't consist of different persons with the same nature. It was different persons with different natures. We see this for instance in that they disagree, they fight each other, sabotage each other, etc.

When the Church Fathers developed the doctrine of the Trinity they considered the data. Every doctrine is developed on the basis of facts or data in response to something. (This, I believe, is true of anything and anyone.)

They said: we believe in Christ; we worship Him as if He was God. But in the Christian stories (some of which eventually became the New Testament) and in the life of the Church you meet three things called God, each one being distinct from the other. From this it was deduced – I believe by the help of the Holy Spirit – that there is three divine persons and one divine being or nature. This isn't contradictory. We don't hold that there is one person and three persons or one nature and three natures. No, we hold that there are three persons and one nature or being.

And over to Freddy:

quote:
But "all" is an exclusive descriptor. Two people can't have "all" of anything without being the same person. This is true of power, knowledge, and presence.

No it isn't. Neither power, knowledge or presence is in themselves material objects.

First; knowledge. If I know something my knowledge isn't diminished by you also knowing it. Knowledge increases when shared, because knowledge is spiritual or mental. (At least in the case of God. We could perhaps have 'physical knowledge' too.) So two omniscient persons doesn't cancel each other out.

Second; power. If I have the power to cruch a stone with a hammer does this mean that noone else has that power? Can you explain what it is with omnipotency that barrs more than one person from possessing it? (This language is a little imprecise; you don't possess power as a thing. Power is merely the name given to the ability to do what one is capable of.)

Third; presence. Here I am reminded of the 'medieval' question: How many angels can dance upon the pin of a needle? The answer is twofold: (1) Noone, because angels aren't physically located on the pin of a needle. (2) All of them and infinitively more, because angels aren't physically located on the pin of a needle. God isn't omnipresent in the same way that you are present in your kitchen. It's not as if God is 'standing' besides you.

quote:
Neither power, knowledge or presence is in themselves material objects.

Things don't need to be material objects to preclude two from each having "all" of them or it.

If two things are omnipresent it means that there is no space where one is where the other is not, even within the other itself. This is true even if God is apart from space and time.

If two have all power there can be no power that one has that the other does not have.

If two have all knowledge there is no knowledge that the one has that the other does not.

This means that only one can be omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient.

God is three PERSONS in one BEING or SUBSTANCE. The omnipresence is predicated of the BEING, not the PERSONS.

But that's IMPOSSIBLE, mousethief. [Biased]

quote:
God is three PERSONS in one BEING or SUBSTANCE. The omnipresence is predicated of the BEING, not the PERSONS.

Is there actually a way of making sense out of that? Or are you arguing, as Andrew did, that divinity is a single category, so that God is one regardless of how many persons there are.

Yes that's what we've been trying to say all along. Trinitarian Christianity is monotheistic.

I didn't realize that anyone besides Andrew bought his argument. [Ultra confused]

So you also see "divinity" as a category just as "humanity" is - and that just as many people make one humanity, so many gods make one divinity? [Confused] [Ultra confused] [Confused]

I don't know about all that category stuff. I just know there is one God in three Persons. Andrew's stuff about human nature never made any sense to me.

Glad to hear it. [Angel]

Explain PERSON.

Whatever Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit are, they are certainly distinct. The NT clearly testifies to this.

If they are not the same (they are distinct) then they are not one. They are different from each other.

Literal trinitarianism is tritheism.

Even my PhD systematic theology lecturer admitted as much when pushed.

Ah well that proves it, then, if you don't get it and your prof didn't either. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Ah well that proves it, then, if you don't get it and your prof didn't either. [Roll Eyes]

LOL. I suppose it proves it that you have got it? [Big Grin]

As much as one does. It's not an axiom of geometry.

My point exactly

No, your point was that it was wrong. Not at all the same point.

quote:
As much as one does. It's not an axiom of geometry.

My point is that the Trinity is metaphorical, not literal.

That's why you can only understand it "as much as one does". Because it certainly is not clear like an axiom of geometry.

Metaphorically, the Trinity is not wrong. It works very well for me. When I see Jesus, I see a window into God the Father.

As the creeds of my tradition state, the Holy Spirit "proceeds" from the Father and the Son and this case, when I think HS, I think Jesus and God after Pentecost and present today with us. Now.

When I think Jesus and the Holy Spirit I think "to the glory of God the Father" (the Gloria)

etc

[ 05. February 2010, 05:25: Message edited by: Evensong ]

quote:
Metaphorically, the Trinity is not wrong. It works very well for me. When I see Jesus, I see a window into God the Father.

As the creeds of my tradition state, the Holy Spirit "proceeds" from the Father and the Son and this case, when I think HS, I think Jesus and God after Pentecost and present today with us. Now.

Very nice. That's pretty much how I see it.

The Trinity is not wrong, it's a metaphor - or as Jesus said "figurative language." What's wrong is saying that the Trinity is actually three distinct persons, each of whom is God, and yet mysteriously one.

The Father is God insofar as He is beyond our understanding, the invisible God, divine love itself. He is not seen or known by anyone, except through the Son.

The Son is God insofar as He shows Himself to us, the visible God, the Word of God, the divine truth. The divine truth is what gives form to all things, which is why creation is said to have happened by means of the Logos.

The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father by means of the Son because it is God as He exists with each of us, enlightening and vivifying us. This enlightenment is from the divine love by means of divine truth, which is why the Holy Spirit is sometimes described as not being given except by Christ - and leading to the whole "Filioque" confusion.

This is one God, with no confusion about whether there are three. The distinctness of the Father and Son shown in the Gospels has to do with the interaction of divinity and humanity in Jesus Christ as His human nature was glorified, or formed in perfect obedience to His divinity. This is why the Son is always subordinate to the Father even though they are also one and have the same powers.

The whole purpose of the Incarnation was to make God visible to a humanity that had drifted far away from God. In this way God was able to remove or reduce the power of hell, and begin to restore the integrity that was first lost in the Garden when people "ate the fruit" or trusted in knowledge instead of God. Integrity is then restored over time as the human race gradually accepts and obeys the knowledge that comes from God that Jesus taught. This is how God leads us in freedom.

To me this is the value of the Trinity. But when the Trinity is understood as three persons the whole point is lost. The way is then open to thinking of salvation in terms of a sentence passed by the Father, and a price paid by the Son, which, in my opinion, makes no sense at all and leads to no good end.

quote:
My point is that the Trinity is metaphorical, not literal.

And my question, which I have aso posed to Freddy, is: for what is it a metaphor?

[ 05. February 2010, 12:13: Message edited by: k-mann ]

quote:
And my question, which I have aso posed to Freddy, is: for what is it a metaphor?

Do you know what a metaphor is? Doesn't my last post answer your question?

quote:
To me this is the value of the Trinity. But when the Trinity is understood as three persons the whole point is lost.

Then that's just a reductio of your understanding of the Trinity.

quote:
The way is then open to thinking of salvation in terms of a sentence passed by the Father, and a price paid by the Son, which, in my opinion, makes no sense at all and leads to no good end.
Life's dangerous. The way is open to a lot of things just positing the existence of God. We can't shrink back from truth because the possibility exists for error.

quote:
quote:

Do you know what a metaphor is? Doesn't my last post answer your question?
I hadn't read your post when I wrote it. But given the content of your post it seems that you - even if your reject the label - say that the 'trinity' is a metaphor for a quasi-modalist doctrine, combined with a new age religion and delusion. You write:

quote:
The distinctness of the Father and Son shown in the Gospels has to do with the interaction of divinity and humanity in Jesus Christ as His human nature was glorified, or formed in perfect obedience to His divinity. This is why the Son is always subordinate to the Father even though they are also one and have the same powers.

But this will not do. Because that still leaves the Holy Spirit. To call the Spirit some 'force of love' cannot be held while holding to the New Testament. They are not only distinct, but they communicate with each other.

This leaves us with three options:

(1) That Christ is delusional, that he communicates with himself.

(2) Christ is evil, tricking us to believe in the Trinity. (In connection to #1 want to add that the 'delusional' argument is absurd as other people also saw what happened in the baptism. Or they could also all be deslusional.)

(3) The Trinity is real.

The Church Father solved a problem as best they could 1,700 years ago. Are young people today who don't know or care about this problem 1,700 years ago going to buy this below?

"Is it not easier to simply accept that Christ was God and the Father is God and their oneness is incomprehensible but a fact nonetheless"

To me this is the issue unless you get something out of going around in circles.

Hamp

quote:
But this will not do. Because that still leaves the Holy Spirit. To call the Spirit some 'force of love' cannot be held while holding to the New Testament. They are not only distinct, but they communicate with each other.

This leaves us with three options:

(1) That Christ is delusional, that he communicates with himself.

(2) Christ is evil, tricking us to believe in the Trinity. (In connection to #1 want to add that the 'delusional' argument is absurd as other people also saw what happened in the baptism. Or they could also all be deslusional.)

(3) The Trinity is real.

So God is three people and one person at the same time because they communicate with each other?

By this argument, normal human beings are also God because we communicate with God and God with us.

Communication does not prove the Trinity is literally true

p.s. Hamp. No. Its not easier to accept that. Most people either subconsciously accept Jesus is human or God, but not both. Because its irrational.

[ 06. February 2010, 05:20: Message edited by: Evensong ]

quote:
By this argument, normal human beings are also God because we communicate with God and God with us.

I didn't realize this argument was trying to prove the deity of Christ, I thought it rather took that for granted and was trying to prove the Trinity.

quote:
quote:

I didn't realize this argument was trying to prove the deity of Christ, I thought it rather took that for granted and was trying to prove the Trinity.
What's the difference if you're trying to prove the Trinity literally true?

In the one, you start believing Christ is divine and in the other you don't. One of them requires more and different evidence than the other. If you haven't yet established that Christ is God then you will need evidence for that, as well as evidence for the Trinity. If you have then you only need evidence for the Trinity.

This seems elementary. [Confused]

quote:
In the one, you start believing Christ is divine and in the other you don't. One of them requires more and different evidence than the other. If you haven't yet established that Christ is God then you will need evidence for that, as well as evidence for the Trinity. If you have then you only need evidence for the Trinity.

Now I'm confused too. Which is which above?

If you've proved Jesus is God, you only have to prove the Holy Spirit is God and then you have evidence for the Trinity?

So to prove to the Trinity you have to:
1) prove Jesus is God
2) prove HS is God
3) prove God, Jesus and HS are one and not three.

Oh and after you have proved Jesus is fully God, then you have to prove he was fully man.

Oh, then you have to prove this isn't a paradox, contradiction in terms or does not require compromise of traditional definitions of God and man.

[Killing me] [Big Grin] [Killing me]

I just don't understand how people can believe it to be literally true at all!

p.s. No one answered my question about what a PERSON was. Add to the list above you have to know Greek to prove you know what they were talking about using the language the Trinity was originally created in.

I haven't quite figured out how you'd prove anything about religion, including whether there is a Supreme Being of any sort. Everything about religion starts with certain assumptions that are unprovable, so the whole discussion basically stands on sand. As the Resurrected Christ said to Thomas and the other Apostles: "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." Not many got to see the dead man (or so they had thought) walking, talking, eating, yet millions have believed without proof, because there actually isn't any proof except in the individual heart which is definitely not replicable. Perhaps many need to be shown a reasonable framework, but I don't know that any of it can be called proof. In 1 Corinthians Paul said, "Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?"

It's not that I think it futile or foolish to talk about what might be reasonable on the one hand or impossible on the other about the Trinity or any other Christian concept. They are valid discussions. You may even base your personal belief system on concepts mainly because they make the most logical sense to you. But if you think that you are going to pin down the Truth and prove it without using unprovable assumptions, I think that you are reaching.

I believe lots of things, but I know it's a combination of heart and mind, not proof.

(Evensong, all these "yous" I've been throwing around are all just generalized. I'm not harping on you, personally. [Smile] )

quote:
But given the content of your post it seems that you - even if your reject the label - say that the 'trinity' is a metaphor for a quasi-modalist doctrine, combined with a new age religion and delusion.

Not at all. It is more akin to Augustine's psychological analogy:
quote:
Augustine gave classic expression to the psychological analogy of the Trinity in which the unity of essence is likened to the rational part of the human soul, composed as it is of “the mind, and the knowledge by which it knows itself, and the love by which it loves itself.” (464) to which he compares the persons of the Trinity.
In Augustine's model "mind" "knowledge" and "love" make one person. Something similar is described in the Athanasian Creed:
quote:
For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man; so God and Man is one Christ
Soul and flesh are two, but they make one person.

I don't subscribe to Augustine's exact model, but what I described is not so different - and it is neither new age or modalist.
quote:
You write:
quote:
The distinctness of the Father and Son shown in the Gospels has to do with the interaction of divinity and humanity in Jesus Christ as His human nature was glorified, or formed in perfect obedience to His divinity. This is why the Son is always subordinate to the Father even though they are also one and have the same powers.

I didn't call the Holy Spirit the force of love. Rather it is God's presence with every individual, inspiring and vivifying all of creation. Surely you don't think that the Holy Spirit is actually a dove, or a flitting entity that landed on Jesus' head. The imagery used to describe it doesn't sound as if it were a man who flew down to Jesus, or like a ghost that somehow entered Him.

I'm not sure why talking to each other is such an issue. Jesus gave prayerful expression to His love and in His suffering. If both He and the Father are God this can't be seen as anything other than a conversation within God anyway. In no case did the two ever appear as separate individuals speaking to each other. A voice was heard in the sky, a form like a dove settled on Jesus (did it then fly away, disappear, or enter Him?) but never did the three appear as individuals. These representations are easily explained as depictions of a deeper reality. This seems to me to be the only sensible way to think of them.

quote:
So God is three people and one person at the same time because they communicate with each other?

What? I didn't say it proves they are God, but that they are persons. Because they communicate. Just as you are a distinct person and able to communicate with other distinct persons. When we see Christ communicating with the Father, we know they are distinct. Or that Christ is deluded.

You cannot claim to hold on to the New Testament and some kind of quasi-modalism. You cannot have the cake and eat it too. Either you must believe in the Trinity or that Christ is deluded or that Christ is evil - or you must discard yourself of the New Testament. If you don't believe in it, why pretend?

quote:
Freddy: Jesus Himself sometimes described the Father as within Him and other times as if He were another person. This inconsistency reflects His alternating states of glorification and exinanition.
Quote me a verse, please, that suggests the Father was ever 'within' Christ.

I and the Father are one does not imply this. It implies their unity of intent and mission, but not that one is within the other.

Please tell me what 'exanination' is also. (If you don't mind, that is.)

quote:
Freddy: Jesus Himself sometimes described the Father as within Him and other times as if He were another person. This inconsistency reflects His alternating states of glorification and exinanition.

I and the Father are one does not imply this. It implies their unity of intent and mission, but not that one is within the other.

Please tell me what 'exanination' is also. (If you don't mind, that is.)

quote:

Here are some:
quote:
John 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

John 14:20 At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

John 17:21 You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; ..22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23 I in them, and You in Me;

Note that Jesus prays that He will be with us, or "in" us, in a similar way.
quote:
Please tell me what 'exinanition' is also. (If you don't mind, that is.)

From answers.com:
quote:
[L. exinanitio.] An emptying; an enfeebling; exhaustion; humiliation.
The idea is that Christ went through exalted states and also states of suffering and humiliation.

quote:
You cannot claim to hold on to the New Testament and some kind of quasi-modalism. You cannot have the cake and eat it too.

So you think that no true Christian sees the Trinity as a metaphor?

Surely you don't literally expect to one day see the three persons seated on three thrones in heaven, do you?

The trinity is not a metaphor. Therefore all imagery about the trinity is not a metaphor.

Surely you can see the logical flaw there?

quote:
Surely you can see the logical flaw there?

Sure. So while the Trinity itself is meant literally, some of the imagery associated with it, such as individuals seated on thrones, is not meant literally. No one, I'm sure, thinks that the Holy Spirit looks like a dove.

So what is there about the Trinity that is literal? Could anyone see all three at the same time? Do the Father and Son have conversations, as they are depicted in the Gospels as having? Does the Son really recommend souls for salvation to the Father?

quote:
So what is there about the Trinity that is literal? Could anyone see all three at the same time? Do the Father and Son have conversations, as they are depicted in the Gospels as having? Does the Son really recommend souls for salvation to the Father?

That it/they exists. As to your other questions; we don't know. And quite frankly I don't really understand why you bother asking questions noone can ever answer. And I don't see how they matter.

quote:

It's not that I think it futile or foolish to talk about what might be reasonable on the one hand or impossible on the other about the Trinity or any other Christian concept. They are valid discussions. You may even base your personal belief system on concepts mainly because they make the most logical sense to you. But if you think that you are going to pin down the Truth and prove it without using unprovable assumptions, I think that you are reaching.

I believe lots of things, but I know it's a combination of heart and mind, not proof.

No argument from me there. The question of proof was rhetorical really as mousethief said we were trying to "prove" the trinity

quote:
quote:

What? I didn't say it proves they are God, but that they are persons. Because they communicate.

My apologies. I misunderstood your intention in the analogy. Hence mousethief's question about deity. Had a bad brain day yesterday

[Hot and Hormonal]

quote:

You cannot claim to hold on to the New Testament and some kind of quasi-modalism. You cannot have the cake and eat it too. Either you must believe in the Trinity or that Christ is deluded or that Christ is evil - or you must discard yourself of the New Testament. If you don't believe in it, why pretend?

Or you can be totally outrageous and say Jesus was a man ( not ontologically God ) and solve most of the problems in New Testament interpretation

My particular heresy is the opposite of Freddys. [Big Grin]

The definition of the Trinity at Chalcedon specifically states Jesus has a human soul, not God's soul. But I'm sure you knew that Freddy [Biased]

[ 07. February 2010, 04:37: Message edited by: Evensong ]

quote:

Yes. And much more popular.
quote:
The definition of the Trinity at Chalcedon specifically states Jesus has a human soul, not God's soul. But I'm sure you knew that Freddy [Biased]

Yes, it's interesting about that. The wording in your link does indicate that Jesus had a human soul:
quote:
this selfsame one is also actually God and actually man, with a rational soul {meaning human soul} and a body. He is of the same reality as God as far as his deity is concerned and of the same reality as we ourselves as far as his humanness is concerned;
I'm not sure who added the {meaning human soul} but I accept that this is what it means. A different translation makes it sound slightly, but not much, different:
quote:
the same truly God and truly man, composed of rational soul and body; consubstantial with the Father as to his divinity and consubstantial with us as to his humanity
By contrast the less well accepted Athanasian Creed, from the same time period, says almost, but not quite, the same thing:
quote:
our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and Man;... Perfect God; and perfect Man, of a reasonable soul and human flesh subsisting. Equal to the Father, as touching his Godhead; and inferior to the Father as touching his Manhood. Who although he is God and Man; yet he is not two, but one Christ. One; not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh; but by assumption of the Manhood into God. One altogether; not by confusion of Essence; but by unity of Person. For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man; so God and Man is one Christ
This last sentence, which I quoted earlier in the thread, makes it sound as if a comparison is being made between soul/flesh and God/man, or that Christ's soul was divinity.

Cyril seems to say this very thing at Ephesus. From the Catholic Doors Ministry:
quote:
The Third letter of Cyril to Nestorius that is part of the Council Of Ephesus - 431 A.D. states that "God made his indwelling (in Jesus) in such a way as we may say that the soul of man does in his own body." While the physical body of Jesus embraced His human Nature, His Divine Nature came from the indwelling of God the Father as His Divine Soul, over and above the indwelling of the Holy Spirit who gave life to the physical body of Christ. For a body without a spirit is dead. [Jn. 6:63; Jas. 2:26]
"God made his indwelling (in Jesus) in such a way as we may say that the soul of man does in his own body." So, according to this, Jesus had a Divine Soul, which was the indwelling of the God the Father.

I'm not sure, then, which is the accepted view. Does Jesus have a human soul or a divine soul? I would obviously pick the latter.

quote:
quote:
So what is there about the Trinity that is literal?

That it/they exists. As to your other questions; we don't know. And quite frankly I don't really understand why you bother asking questions noone can ever answer. And I don't see how they matter.
I'm asking them to point out the absurdity of thinking literally about the Trinity. The answer is always "we don't know." Hence the Orthodox refuge in apophatic thinking.

The question in the OP is "Why did Jesus not explicitly teach the doctrine of the Trinity?" I think the answer is that He never intended people to conclude from His language about the Father that He was a separate person. Instead He was at pains to emphasize their unity and identity of powers.

quote:
quote:

Yes. And much more popular.

No. I always thought yours was.

But like I said previously, subconsciously we choose either, not both. But having thought about it some more over the last few days I think there is another probably much more common subconscious option: that Jesus is half God and half man, or a semi-divine being above the order of Angels or something.

But the doctrine of the Trinity explicitly points out it disagrees with all three of those options.

So in that sense, I give it kudos. Doesn't do to put God in a box. Maybe the paradox is a good idea.

quote:

I'm not sure, then, which is the accepted view. Does Jesus have a human soul or a divine soul? I would obviously pick the latter.

Ephesus is before Chalcedon. Likely Chalcedon is "orthodox". Tho Cyril certainly won the day over Nestorius from memory.

quote:

The question in the OP is "Why did Jesus not explicitly teach the doctrine of the Trinity?" I think the answer is that He never intended people to conclude from His language about the Father that He was a separate person. Instead He was at pains to emphasize their unity and identity of powers.

Only in the gospel of John (as you quoted above to Jamat) is the evangelist explicit about this. But even in the Gospel of John we have "the father is greater than I".

quote:
John 14.28:

You heard me say to you, “I am going away, and I am coming to you.” If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I.

But you would explain that by saying Jesus' divine nature is greater than his human. [Biased]

The synoptic gospels are much more literally theocentric and quite happy to point out God is certainly with Jesus, but God is not Jesus.

quote:
mt 23:9-10

And call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father—the one in heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Messiah.

mk 10:18

Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.

mk 13:32

32 ‘But about that day or hour no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

The Trinity works for me metaphorically. But if pushed to a literal understanding, I think the gospels portray him as a man more than as God

quote:
The question in the OP is "Why did Jesus not explicitly teach the doctrine of the Trinity?" I think the answer is that He never intended people to conclude from His language about the Father that He was a separate person.

Yes, maybe he intended for people to conclude that he had a personality disorder or that he was evil.

You must choose; either they are 'separate' (I prefer 'distinct') persons or Christ is deluded or evil.

Posted by El Greco (# 9313) on :

quote:
This question arose on another thread.

The paradigm shift involved in the separation of the Godhead would have been impossible for his audience.

He did, however, make claims for himself that only God could make, eg forgiving sins.

He also demonstrated authority that only God has, eg the power over death.

I don't think it's as simple as that. Showing some sort of supernatural power is not claim that one is God. One could just be delegated by God to do so, one could be God's prophet or God's vicar.

And from what we read in the gospels, hardly anyone fell down to their knees and worshipped Jesus while he was working those miracles. After all, doing some of that stuff was not uncommon in that culture; there were other miracle-workers as well, which is why that part of the Jewish people that looked favorably on Jesus thought that he was a prophet, or even God's elect to be the Messiah, but not divine himself!

That's one thing I'd like to say. Another is that the gospels themselves are elaborate writings designed to bring to the reader the faith of those that designed them. So, it's a mistake to assume we can use them as if they were written by some journalist and try to make sense of historical events. If, at some points, the idea comes to our mind that Jesus is a being that pre-exists his physical human birth or other similar ideas, then those ideas come to us because the author of the text planted them there! This also needs to be taken into account, as does the fact that we read the stories with the lenses of our own centuries-long traditions.

That said, I don't think Jesus considered himself to be a son of God. The portrayal we have in our hands is much later than the actual Jesus, and is very similar to similar pagan portrayals of heroes with divine qualities. In other words, the deification of Jesus is rather hellenic in nature, and I don't think the actual Jesus even suspected people would go that far with his story.

[ 07. February 2010, 15:36: Message edited by: El Greco ]

quote:
quote:
The question in the OP is "Why did Jesus not explicitly teach the doctrine of the Trinity?" I think the answer is that He never intended people to conclude from His language about the Father that He was a separate person.

Yes, maybe he intended for people to conclude that he had a personality disorder or that he was evil.

You must choose; either they are 'separate' (I prefer 'distinct') persons or Christ is deluded or evil.

k-mann. You are pushing Freddy to choose, but the Trinity itself does not choose. It says Jesus and the father are different but the same.

The way Freddy differs with the traditional Trinitarian definition is he says that Jesus has two natures (like the trinity does) but that the human nature is eventually subsumed into the divine one. The trinity says they do not do this. They do not comingle

El Greco,

Do you think the "Quest for the Historical (hysterical?) Jesus" is incompatible with credal Christianity?

I think there must be a way to fit them together and move into the future......

[ 07. February 2010, 23:26: Message edited by: Evensong ]

quote:
You are pushing Freddy to choose, but the Trinity itself does not choose. It says Jesus and the father are different but the same.

Yes, I'm pushing him to choose. So what? This is a debate. With arguments. And I have no idea what you mean when you say that "the Trinity itself does not choose." Choose what?

And what do you mean when you say that "Jesus and the father are different but the same"? And where do you get that expression?

And lastly; if that doesn't mean that they are distinct as persons but one in nature/essence/being, what does it mean? It seems to me that that sentence becomes logically contradictory if one rules out the trinitarian approach.

quote:
The way Freddy differs with the traditional Trinitarian definition is he says that Jesus has two natures (like the trinity does) but that the human nature is eventually subsumed into the divine one. The trinity says they do not do this. They do not comingle

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying? What do you mean by 'the Trinity says'? And to say that "human nature is eventually subsumed into the divine one" just doesn't work. It's metaphysically impossible. A nature is a things inner essence; it cannot be altered without the thing being destroyed. So if Christ's human nature is "subsumed into the divine one" it means that both the human and the divine nature stopped existing 2000 years ago. Which is absurd.

quote:
And to say that "human nature is eventually subsumed into the divine one" just doesn't work. It's metaphysically impossible.

I like what Evensong says, although I don't quite think that Christ's human nature was eventually subsumed. Rather, Christ's human nature was glorified, so that His human was made divine and is now the Divine Human.

What this means is that the invisible God (the Father) came into the world to put on a human face (the Son), to make Himself visible and understandable to humanity. The reason that this was necessary was that humanity had ceased to believe in Him. This was the end product of the process begun in the Garden of Eden by eating the fruit of the tree - people required factual knowledge or they would not believe or trust God. In response God came into the world and provided a way for people to have that knowledge, if they would accept it. This is the Word made flesh.

The glorified human is an understandable, knowable, loveable humanity that is at the same time truly God. He is human because He can be known understood and loved as a person. He is Divine because this visible being is at the same time the Creator.

Jesus was united to the Father by doing His will and by succeeding in His trials or temptations. This is the significance of His suffering.

I don't know why you say that this is metaphysically impossible. It makes sense to me. [Biased]

quote:
El Greco,

Do you think the "Quest for the Historical (hysterical?) Jesus" is incompatible with credal Christianity?

I don't think we can know anything about the historical Jesus; the Jesus we know things about is only the Jesus of faith. So, to me, the quest for the historical Jesus is futile. We can't know what he really said, but we do have much information as to what various faith communities believed about him.

k-mann,

I think we are using different definitions of the Trinity. I'm basing my definition mainly on the latest creed that discusses Jesus' godhead. It's at the council of Chalcedon

quote:
Originally posted by El Greco:
quote:
El Greco,

I don't think we can know anything about the historical Jesus; the Jesus we know things about is only the Jesus of faith. So, to me, the quest for the historical Jesus is futile.
You sure about that? You "speak" very similarly to the historical Jesus school. You seem to base your assumptions on historical critical methods

quote:
quote:
And to say that "human nature is eventually subsumed into the divine one" just doesn't work. It's metaphysically impossible.

I like what Evensong says, although I don't quite think that Christ's human nature was eventually subsumed. Rather, Christ's human nature was glorified, so that His human was made divine and is now the Divine Human.
Which, as I've pointed out, is metaphysically impossible. You cannot alter a things nature. It just doesn't work like that.

quote:
You cannot alter a things nature. It just doesn't work like that.

Sure it does. Christ was crucified but rose again from the tomb. The risen Lord is the same Lord as was crucified, and His body was the same body, but His body was manifestly different in that it was able to appear and disappear, and eventually rise into heaven. What happened to His body?

quote:
Which, as I've pointed out, is metaphysically impossible.

I just have to add that this depends on what you think was going on with Jesus and what He came to do.

What does "the Word made flesh" mean to you? In my book the Logos was the means of creating all things. God spoke and it was created. So if God was going to make all things new wouldn't He do it by speaking? In earlier times He spoke through prophets, but in the Incarnation He spoke with His own voice.

"Impossible". You guys keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. [Razz]

Inconceivable! [Cool]

[Big Grin]

quote:
quote:
You cannot alter a things nature. It just doesn't work like that.

Sure it does. Christ was crucified but rose again from the tomb. The risen Lord is the same Lord as was crucified, and His body was the same body, but His body was manifestly different in that it was able to appear and disappear, and eventually rise into heaven. What happened to His body?
He still had the divine nature and the human nature. It was glorified. Not made unhuman.

quote:
What does "the Word made flesh" mean to you?

The Logos is a person, not a nature. The Logos was made flesh (ie. human nature). That doesn't mean that the divine nature was altered. Or that the human nature was altered.

[ 09. February 2010, 15:08: Message edited by: k-mann ]

quote:
He still had the divine nature and the human nature. It was glorified. Not made unhuman.

That's right. "Glorified" means that it was made divine - at least that's what it means to me. It doesn't mean that it was no longer human. But I think that it could be human and divine at the same time, and called "the divine human."
quote:
The Logos is a person, not a nature. The Logos was made flesh (ie. human nature). That doesn't mean that the divine nature was altered. Or that the human nature was altered.

The point is that the Logos was not flesh before the Incarnation. The Logos was not changed, it merely became visible and tangible.

The idea here, in my view, is that God came down so that we could know Him and so that His words could change our lives. They change our lives when we hear, understand and obey them, a process that overcomes the power of evil. It's just saying that knowledge defeats ignorance and evil.

quote:
quote:

That's right. "Glorified" means that it was made divine - at least that's what it means to me. It doesn't mean that it was no longer human. But I think that it could be human and divine at the same time, and called "the divine human."
I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. You cannot alter a things nature.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. You cannot alter a things nature.
Sure you can. Its called Grace. Its how our human nature is transformed.

But it can't go from human to God. Because that would imply two different natures. And that doesn't make sense.

quote:
But it can't go from human to God. Because that would imply two different natures. And that doesn't make sense.

I don't completely disagree.

To me a key part is what the word "glorify" means as it is used in the Gospel of John:
quote:
John 7:39 But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

John 12:16 His disciples did not understand these things at first; but when Jesus was glorified, then they remembered that these things were written about Him and that they had done these things to Him.

John 12:23 But Jesus answered them, saying, “The hour has come that the Son of Man should be glorified.

John 13:31 Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in Him.

John 13:32 If God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and glorify Him immediately.

John 17:1 “Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You,

John 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

John 17:10 And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them.

The word "glorify" is common in the New Testament and normally just means "praise," as in "they glorified God for what they had seen."

But Jesus seems to use it in a special way to mean that something was actually happening to the Son that changed Him.

Yes He was changed. His nature wasn't.

[ 10. February 2010, 16:17: Message edited by: k-mann ]

quote:

Here is how I understand it.

There are two parts to being human. Every person has a human "will" and a human "understanding." These two things are the core make-up of any individual.

When a person is "born again" what happens is that God takes away his old will and gives him a new one. He is then a new person, having exchanged worldly desires for heavenly ones. But the understanding remains - and in fact the new will is formed according to what a person understands and believes, as these are put into practice. This is the effect of faith.

With Jesus it was the same process but it was also different. Since His Father was divinity itself, and He had no human father, Jesus was divine from birth. He was also human from Mary. During His lifetime, however, He gradually put off the "will" that He had from her and put on His Father's will. He obeyed the will of His Father and was reformed according to it. Rather than being reborn, however, He was glorified.

But Jesus' "understanding" remained human. He learned like any other person, and He formed ideas and taught as a human the divine message of the Father. This message is human but it is also purely divine - the Word of God.

So Jesus changed. He is both human and divine at the same time.

Maybe you have heard this explanation before. [Paranoid]

quote:

Does this have any meaning? Is a person separate from his nature? (for the shake of the argument I assume that it is meaningful to speak of natures in the first place. Boy, those Romans are crazy! They are discussing fervently about ancient philosophical concepts nobody accepts anymore as if they are real!)

quote:
Here is how I understand it.

There are two parts to being human. Every person has a human "will" and a human "understanding." These two things are the core make-up of any individual.

Please, tell me you are kidding. You didn't just resolve thousands of years of philosophical debate with one sentence, right?

Seriously, why on earth would one think he has finally discovered what is the core make-up of any individual? Hasn't history taught us anything? Hint: There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

[ 10. February 2010, 21:05: Message edited by: El Greco ]

quote:
Boy, those Romans are crazy! They are discussing fervently about ancient philosophical concepts nobody accepts anymore as if they are real!)

By 'nobody' I assume you mean yourself.

quote:
You didn't just resolve thousands of years of philosophical debate with one sentence, right?

[Axe murder] I wasn't thinking of it that way, but now that you mention it I have to say I feel pretty good about it! [Axe murder]

quote:
quote:
You didn't just resolve thousands of years of philosophical debate with one sentence, right?

[Axe murder] I wasn't thinking of it that way, but now that you mention it I have to say I feel pretty good about it! [Axe murder]
[Killing me]

You go Freddy!

Shalom

[ 11. February 2010, 11:35: Message edited by: Evensong ]

quote:

I mean the average person on the street. People no longer use nature as anything more than a descriptor; they don't think in ontological terms as far as nature goes. In fact, the only time I have observed this ancient philosophical framework being resurrected is in obscure theological discussions by some Christians who have read books that speak about that sort of things.

It's just as if when some people talk about theology, they get away from real life and enter a different kind of planet, a planet of theology, where things that no longer make sense on planet earth are still valid and revered as holy truths.

quote:

Freddy, you are very gracious, as always.

However, what would your explanation be? I'm curious.

[ 11. February 2010, 12:13: Message edited by: El Greco ]

quote:
However, what would your explanation be? I'm curious.

[Axe murder] Explanation of what? [Axe murder]

[...still basking in the glow...]

quote:

Of why you don't revise what you said, since it can't be as simple as that...

quote:
quote:

Of why you don't revise what you said, since it can't be as simple as that...
[Axe murder] Sure. Nothing so fundamental is ever as simple as that. But maybe a different thread would be a place to go into it.

You have to admit, though, that solving a mystery thousands of years old is pretty impressive. [Axe murder]

quote:
quote:

I mean the average person on the street. People no longer use nature as anything more than a descriptor; they don't think in ontological terms as far as nature goes.
1. That is simply not true. I know a lof of people who hold to it. You aren't the center of the world, you know.

2. The facts that some people doesn't believe in it doesn't mean it's untrue.

quote:
quote:

Here are some:
quote:
John 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

John 14:20 At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

John 17:21 You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; ..22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23 I in them, and You in Me;

Note that Jesus prays that He will be with us, or "in" us, in a similar way.
quote:
Please tell me what 'exinanition' is also. (If you don't mind, that is.)

From answers.com:
quote:
[L. exinanitio.] An emptying; an enfeebling; exhaustion; humiliation.
The idea is that Christ went through exalted states and also states of suffering and humiliation.

Thank you for the verses and I can see the way you interpret them I think. However, I'd suggest that as you seem to, jesus is actually underlining his unity of heart and purpose with the Father. In other places he prays to the Father and that is clearly to an entity outside of himself.

IMV the evidence is for separate personalities in the one overall cosmological entity. But hey, t5he debate is millenia old. I don't think jesus ever encourages prayer to himself. Paul certainly encourages us to pray to the Father, through the Christ WHO provides a way of access IMV. and our prayers should be prayers inspired b the HS whom Jesus specifically refers to as a personality.

© Ship of Fools 2016