Thread: Purgatory: Faith and salvation -- let's cut to the chase :) Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001006

Posted by CrookedCucumber (# 10792) on :

OK. We've been skirting around this one in a number of other threads, and I'd kind of like to get it out in the open in its own thread. I apologise for going over the same ground again, but this seems to me to be a Really Big Deal, and one that Christians don't really like to engage with.

Very few mainstream Christian denominations teach that a person can `earn' salvation by his own good works, even though many observant Christians do, in effect, hold to this view.

Instead, most (all?) mainstream denominations stress that Christian faith is part-and-parcel of salvation in some way or other.

Some say that freely choosing faith is how one `earns' salvation. Some say that faith is a manifestation of God's grace, given by God to the Elect. Some say that faith is a response to God's grace, which an individual can freely reject. There are other variations.

But all mainstream denominations officially teach that if an individual does not have Christian faith, that individual will not be saved. End of story.

If you are a person who holds to that view, are you able to square it with the concept of an omnipotent, benevolent God? Or are you prepared to accept that God is partial to certain individuals or societies? And, if so, why is He?

( I'm particular interested in the opinions of people who do hold to this few-will-be-saved viewpoint. Universal Salvationists don't really have a case to answer [Smile] )

[ 27. February 2006, 22:36: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

quote:
Originally posted by CrookedCucumber:
But all mainstream denominations officially teach that if an individual does not have Christian faith, that individual will not be saved. End of story.

I guess then that the RCC is not a mainstream denomination? For this is certainly not the official RC doctrine, see CCC 839-848.

Posted by Real Ale Methodist (# 7390) on :

Ooh love that link; a lot of it rings true for me - I must admit I always assumed quite the opposite of the RCC. Not quite ready to cross the Tiber yet mind...

I'm probably not the best person to say something on this thread however much interest I will read it with. I am sometimes a 'Soft' universalist; where I think that some peoploe will go to hell, but lots of non-Christains will be saved by Gods Grace - this mainly justified by the stuff in Paul about the fruits of the spirit; which I recognise in atehists as well as Christians. I am often a 'Hard' universalist where I find it difficult to believe in a God who would deprive anyone of his or her salvation. Officially I adopt an attitude of "I don't know but I expect God will sort it all out for the best".

My understanding for the position that not all are saved is that we must balence our Loving God with the Just God. A Just God HAS to punish us for our rebellion; but opens forgiveness to those who choose it.

Posted by I_am_not_Job (# 3634) on :

Moreoever a loving God wouldn't make someone who didn't want to be with him, be with him. Perchance?

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

I go no further than "All can be saved". There is no one who God cannot save. As to who he will save, that's not for me to say, but I proceed on the assumption that he's much more merciful and loving than I am.

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

I guess then that the RCC is not a mainstream denomination? For this is certainly not the official RC doctrine, see CCC 839-848.
Sorry, IngoB -- I meant to say ``mainstream protestant denominations''. You're off the hook [Smile]

Posted by Zealot en vacance (# 9795) on :

The necessity of faith for salvation is hard to reconcile with what Jesus is reported as saying to the sheep and the goats in Matt 25. The 'sheep' are greeted as enjoying the Father's blessing, and respond by denying that they ever served Christ. It seems to me very likely that at least some of these saved people would not have had faith in Christ either. Salvation is in God's hands, and no human formulation limits His action, I would suggest.

[ 26. January 2006, 12:08: Message edited by: Zealot en vacance ]

quote:
Originally posted by Real Ale Methodist:
My understanding for the position that not all are saved is that we must balence our Loving God with the Just God. A Just God HAS to punish us for our rebellion; but opens forgiveness to those who choose it.

How does one choose forgiveness if one does not, for no fault of one's own, know that a choice is required? Suppose you don't that there is a God who offers forgiveness?

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zealot en vacance:
The necessity of faith for salvation is hard to reconcile with what Jesus is reported as saying to the sheep and the goats in Matt 25. The 'sheep' are greeted as enjoying the Father's blessing, and respond by denying that they ever served Christ. It seems to me very likely that at least some of these saved people would not have had faith in Christ either. Salvation is in God's hands, and no human formulation limits His action, I would suggest.

I agree about Matthew 25.

The formulation, though, that I think is most universal is that the good are saved and the wicked are not - with the caveat, of course, that none are truly good except God. This is what the vast majority of people on this planet believe, unless I am mistaken.

Posted by GreyFace (# 4682) on :

quote:
Sorry, IngoB -- I meant to say ``mainstream protestant denominations''.

Which ones did you have in mind?

[ 26. January 2006, 12:40: Message edited by: GreyFace ]

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

I'd view myself as having a pretty mainstream protestant background. I think it's easy to assume that your OP is mainstream protestant doctrine - since there is a fundamentalist, loud wing that proclaims it - but if you talk to someone more middle of the road, very few will argue that those not evangelised are heading to hell. Many will admit on more pushing that it seems unfair and unlikely that people rejecting christianity because of unrepresentative, even abusive, encounters with it are heading for the flames.

I think a more accurate mainstream position is that we don't know the details - and can't know how God will judge - and many me be saved who we don't expect - but that faith is a sure entry ticket.

So having it equals salvation, not having it doesn't necessarily equal damnation - but it puts you at risk of it.

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
A Just God HAS to punish us for our rebellion; but opens forgiveness to those who choose it.

What does this mean, God HAS to punish us? Who makes him? What if he doesn't want to? I don't believe God is under any compulsion to punish.

Posted by Keren-Happuch (# 9818) on :

quote:
quote:

How does one choose forgiveness if one does not, for no fault of one's own, know that a choice is required? Suppose you don't that there is a God who offers forgiveness?
It seems to make sense to me that when the time for judgement comes, everyone will have to come face to face with God and choose whether or not they accept Him and His forgiveness, whether or not they knew Him in their lifetime. Rather like the end of The Last Battle where the children are surprised by some of the people who end up accepting Aslan, when they were previously fighting him.

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
[...] but if you talk to someone more middle of the road, very few will argue that those not evangelised are heading to hell.

To be honest, I'm not trying to pick a battle with middle-of-the-road protestants; my gripe is with the corporate doctrine of the protestant churches. I think that regardless of what most churchgoers (and ministers) believe, sola fide is still a foundational doctrine of the protestant movement. In my experience, the best that can be said of the credal statements of the protestant denominations is that they are largely silent on the fate of the unevangelized majority. They generally aren't condemning them (apart from the groups you mention), but at the same time they aren't explaining theologically how hope for the unevangelized fits with sola fide.

quote:

I think a more accurate mainstream position is that we don't know the details - and can't know how God will judge - and many me be saved who we don't expect - but that faith is a sure entry ticket.

Well, this is the position that CS Lewis took, and therefore has to be taken seriously [Smile] But I've not seen this written down anywhere as official doctrine of any protestant denomination. I'd be very happy to wrong about this, if you know better.

quote:

So having it equals salvation, not having it doesn't necessarily equal damnation - but it puts you at risk of it.

This still appears to make God very partial. You can't have faith if you've never been exposed to anything to have faith in. So why should God be willing to put so many people in peril of their souls?

Saying ``we don't know'' or ``we don't presume to understand how God figures these things out'' is at least an honest position to take. But it's not one I feel comfortable with.

quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
quote:
quote:

It seems to make sense to me that when the time for judgement comes, everyone will have to come face to face with God and choose whether or not they accept Him and His forgiveness, whether or not they knew Him in their lifetime. Rather like the end of The Last Battle where the children are surprised by some of the people who end up accepting Aslan, when they were previously fighting him.
If you believe that a person will be in a position to accept or reject God when he or she is in full possession of the facts, then you too are off the hook [Smile] Presumably if we get to look God in the eye, the time for `faith' will be over.

quote:
quote:
This still appears to make God very partial. You can't have faith if you've never been exposed to anything to have faith in. So why should God be willing to put so many people in peril of their souls?

Saying ``we don't know'' or ``we don't presume to understand how God figures these things out'' is at least an honest position to take. But it's not one I feel comfortable with.

It seems to me that the more fruitful way round to look at this is to make goodness, rather than salvation, the goal. That is, the whole point is God's will being done on earth as it is in heaven. This is what "salvation" really amounts to. This is what will save the world.

The real argument is whether this can happen without faith in God. It certainly seems as though people can be well disposed without having any faith in God. Christianity claims, however, that in the last analysis this is not really possible. I agree.

So it's not that faith in God is unimportant, because all that really matters is whether you are good or wicked. You can't really be good without faith in God.

quote:
sola fide is still a foundational doctrine of the protestant movement. In my experience, the best that can be said of the credal statements of the protestant denominations is that they are largely silent on the fate of the unevangelized majority. They generally aren't condemning them (apart from the groups you mention), but at the same time they aren't explaining theologically how hope for the unevangelized fits with sola fide.......So why should God be willing to put so many people in peril of their souls?

Maybe he can't do any better than he has?

But I accept this characterisation - a bit silent on it in the formal, public statements - but on pushed, a sort of "we don't know - up to God" position.

quote:

Why not? My position is that for both the faithfull and the unfaithfull - we don't know, we do what we think is best - and we'll find out when we get there. God knows our hearts. Purgatory... Hell with optional salvation... the tree lies as it falls.... or absolutely bloody nothing. I'm prepared for the range of options.

I think before we can answer any of the very important questions that this thread has raised, we need to decide what we mean by "faith" -- do we mean intellectual assent to a proposition or set of propositions (e.g. "God exists", "Jesus is Lord" etc.)? Or something more profound and deeper, something that might even exist in a person who gives intellectual assent to none of the propositions usually mentioned in terms of "faith"?

Posted by professorkirke (# 9037) on :

quote:

[small tangent]Then I would prepare myself for a long (God-willing!) life of discomfort.[/small tangent]

(Not that I think exploring is bad (obviously or else why be here on the Ship???), but at the end of the day I think 90% of my thoughts still end up in some form of "I just don't know." I think becoming okay with that answer is a HUGE step for many Christians...)

-Digory

Posted by Superslug (# 7024) on :

CC

Being uncomfortable with 'I dont know' was where I was for a long time, until I realised, or lost some of my preocupation with ' what do we have to do to be saved'

I came to the conclusion that worry or even concern about this issue is largly counter productive.

If we do this faith thing to be saved, we miss the point and are only doing this thing for selfish reasons. There is therefore a high chance that wanting to find the 'truth' about this is the ultimate catch 22.

What this left me with was being obediant to God as a response to his love for me and that boils down to two great commandaments and one great commission.

The rest, as it has been said, is left to God.

YMMV

SS

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CrookedCucumber:
[qb] [QUOTE]So having it equals salvation, not The real argument is whether this can happen without faith in God. It certainly seems as though people can be well disposed without having any faith in God. Christianity claims, however, that in the last analysis this is not really possible. I agree.

I submit that this depends on what you mean by `good'. I am saddened to say that the people I have met who have most impressed me with their selflessness and charity have not been Christians. Mostly they have been atheists. Your mileage may vary [Smile] However, if `goodness' demands something more or different from selflessness and charity, then you might be right. What is your understanding of goodness that makes it contingent on faith in God?

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
You can't really be good without faith in God.

What CC said - define "good".

quote:
Originally posted by professorkirke:
...at the end of the day I think 90% of my thoughts still end up in some form of "I just don't know." I think becoming okay with that answer is a HUGE step for many Christians...)

OK, there are certain questions, even quite deep questions, that I can comfortably live without knowing the answers to. The problem is that I can't plod along with a huge logical incongruity in my beliefs. Uncertainty, yes; illogicality, no. For me, accepting sola fide in its strict form means rejecting the idea that God is wholely benevolent. And vice versa. I just don't see how these two doctrines logically fit together -- one or other has to be wrong.

But golly, CC, that's easy. Toss sola fide out on its ear as a relative newcomer and twisting of the biblical witness. Problem solved!

Nobody seems to want to define "faith" however, or even respond to my challenge to do so; maybe I used too many words in that post?

Posted by GreyFace (# 4682) on :

quote:
For me, accepting sola fide in its strict form means rejecting the idea that God is wholely benevolent. And vice versa. I just don't see how these two doctrines logically fit together -- one or other has to be wrong.

I think you're right, if by the strict form of sola fide you mean, all those who don't come to conscious and visible faith in Christ before death are going to roast in hellfire for eternity.

But I'm not aware that most mainstream Protestant denominations teach that. Mine doesn't.

quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
I think you're right, if by the strict form of sola fide you mean, all those who don't come to conscious and visible faith in Christ before death are going to roast in hellfire for eternity.

But I'm not aware that most mainstream Protestant denominations teach that. Mine doesn't.

It's at least strongly implied in every single act of evangelism.

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Nobody seems to want to define "faith" however, or even respond to my challenge to do so; maybe I used too many words in that post?

But `faith' is a weasle word, isn't it? The NT writers used it all the time, but pistis in Greek is just as weasely as `faith' in English. It can mean many different things, from (as you say) intellectual assent to the likelihood of certain propositions' being true, to the `blind unreasoning allegiance' of Kierkegaard. pistis will stand all these meanings, and more.

So when Luther wrote `sola fide,' I really have no idea what he understood fide to mean. My gut feeling is that his meaning was not way different to Kierkegaard's -- unconditional submission to the divinity of Jesus, and unconditional acceptance of the authority of scripture, in the absence of any evidential, naturalistic basis for so doing.

I accept that there might be ways to define `faith' that make sola fide more inclusive -- I just don't know what they are.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:

It's at least strongly implied in every single act of evangelism.
That may be true, but I don't think it must necessarily be true. If the `good news' is ``If you believe in this you won't roast in Hell'' then yes. If the `good news' is ``All are saved -- you no longer have to live in fear and uncertainty'' then no.

quote:
....For me, accepting sola fide in its strict form means rejecting the idea that God is wholely benevolent. And vice versa. I just don't see how these two doctrines logically fit together -- one or other has to be wrong.

I'd submit that the problem isn't just sola fide, then. The problem is hell. How can a wholely benevolent God condemn anyone to hell? If we deal with that, perhaps we can move on to subsets of humanity for which the unfairness is magnified....

quote:
quote:
You can't really be good without faith in God.

What CC said - define "good".
I think that the Bible defines what "good" is. I would say that to be "good" is to live as Jesus taught.

But I agree with CC that there does not seem to necessarily be a correlation between being "good" and being "Christian." My experience has also been that the kindest people are often non-Christian.

quote:
But I agree with CC that there does not seem to necessarily be a correlation between being "good" and being "Christian." My experience has also been that the kindest people are often non-Christian.

I agree. It just seems odd to assent to such a position, but also say that "goodness" is impossible without faith in God...

quote:
I'd submit that the problem isn't just sola fide, then. The problem is hell. How can a wholely benevolent God condemn anyone to hell? If we deal with that, perhaps we can move on to subsets of humanity for which the unfairness is magnified....

Well, I have two reasons for not wanting to do that...

1. We've already had 30-odd pages on that, and not got anywhere [Smile]

2. I think what you're saying is that salvation is (or appears to be) prima facie inequitable, and the fact that it is more inequitable for some people than others doesn't present any additional problem. I can see the strength of that argument. But it is at least arguable that a person who rejects God of his own free will can miss out on salvation without the blame being placed on God. It isn't necessarily inequitable. But the inequity faced by a person who has never heard of God is not merely different in degree from that of a person who actively rejects God; it is of a wholely different kind.

If goodness were not possible without faith how would we ever arrive at the faith required to get goodness?

Posted by PaulTH* (# 320) on :

quote:
Originally posted by CrookedCucumber
Sorry, IngoB -- I meant to say ``mainstream protestant denominations''. You're off the hook

Which is why mainstream Protestant denominations leave me so cold.

Posted by A Lurker (# 3377) on :

Superslug:
[Overused]

quote:
If goodness were not possible without faith how would we ever arrive at the faith required to get goodness?

Grace.

Posted by Birdseye (# 5280) on :

I think that people will be fairly judged on the goodness of their spirits, if one professes to have faith in God and yet is not changed for the better, then perhaps that profession is not true.

But since all humanity will fail to hit the ultimate mark of perfection, the only reason anyone will be saved is because of the sacrifice paid by Christ.

It is through GRACE that we are saved -not faith.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

quote:

Who told you that?

quote:
Originally posted by Superslug
If we do this faith thing to be saved, we miss the point and are only doing this thing for selfish reasons. There is therefore a high chance that wanting to find the 'truth' about this is the ultimate catch 22.

The current thread on attraction to Judaism reminds me of where I think Christinity goes wrong on this point. Since its inception it has been a religion obsessed with personal salvation. That isn't why we're here. Our purpose is to do the will of God in the present moment for which we may hope for a place in the world to come.

That difference of emphasis between Judaism and Christianity is one in which I believe that Judaism has it right.

quote:
Originally posted by Birdseye:

But since all humanity will fail to hit the ultimate mark of perfection, the only reason anyone will be saved is because of the sacrifice paid by Christ.

It is through GRACE that we are saved -not faith.

Fair enough. But it only avoids the problem I set out if grace is universal. Is it? How would we know?

quote:
quote:

I agree. It just seems odd to assent to such a position, but also say that "goodness" is impossible without faith in God...
I agree that it seems odd, but this is what the Bible teaches.

I think that our surface perception of the way that "nice people" act is not necessarily the same as the kind of "goodness" that would, in the long run, make the world a better place to live.

Another way to put this is that everyone on earth is involved in trying to make the world a better place. From governments to schoolteachers, efforts to improve the future can be found everywhere. But Christianity teaches that these efforts will never be successful without trust in God - despite the appearance that trust in God would not seem to most people to be the most important factor.

The same, I think, is true of the efforts that we as individuals make to improve our lives. It certainly appears that belief in God is not necessary to becoming a better person. Anyone can improve their lives, regardless of what they believe. But Christianity teaches that belief in God is more central than people realize, and that positive changes are more difficult and less likely if He is not involved. Movements like Alcoholics Anonymous testify to the truth of this idea.

As Jesus said:
quote:
Matthew 6:33 Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
The point is that salvation, not to mention the improvement of the planet, depend on the actual quality of every individual, and of all of us as a whole. It does not seem as though this depends on our faith in God. But I think, in the long run, that it actually does.

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
quote:

Who told you that?
Which ones don't? (I'm asking about official credal statements, not the views of individual churchgoers or ministers, which I accept can be quite different)

Posted by Joyfulsoul (# 4652) on :

quote:

I do! I do! Pick me! [Biased]

I loved what you said here:

quote:
<snip> we need to decide what we mean by "faith"

I agree this is absolutely crucial.

quote:
-- do we mean intellectual assent to a proposition or set of propositions (e.g. "God exists", "Jesus is Lord" etc.)?

This reminds me of the verse:

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"

(Matthew 7:21-23, NIV)

quote:
-- Or something more profound and deeper, something that might even exist in a person who gives intellectual assent to none of the propositions usually mentioned in terms of "faith"?

Exactly.

Faith pleases God. This reiterated all over the scriptures. But also acting justly and being merciful and humble is also what pleases God. I think maybe they are interconnected.

The way I see it -- faith is the same as acting in obedience to the will of the Father which is the same as loving your neighbor which is the same as God's words "what does God require? To love mercy, to act justly, and to walk humbly" which is the same as pursuing the kingdom of heaven which is the same as following Christ which is the same thing as being "saved."

quote:
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

(Ephesians 2:8, NIV)

From what I read, "faith" is not merely intellectual assent but instead some type of transformation of the inner self into someone more like Christ.

This is what I wrote before on another thread:

Faith, itself, is a lifestyle. It is not just a declaration of belief, a faithful person is a righteous person (in the Eyes of God).

I pretty much agree with the link IngoB posted. Salvation is in the hands of a merciful God who atoned for the sins of the whole world.

I also don't mind saying that I don't know.

quote:
The point is that salvation, not to mention the improvement of the planet, depend on the actual quality of every individual, and of all of us as a whole. It does not seem as though this depends on our faith in God. But I think, in the long run, that it actually does.

Can you give a specific example of a `good' act that is informed by a faith in good, and an example of an act carried out by an atheist which appears good, and yet is not, by the former standard?

Doesn't your formulation leave a helluva lot of people (about 60% of the world's population) incapable of doing real `good'?

I find extremely disturbing the notion that an ethical humanist could devote his whole life to doing good works, and indeed do things that appear to be good acts in the eyes of the huge majority of people in the world, and who nevertheless has done nothing good at all because his state of mind was wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
Our purpose is to do the will of God in the present moment for which we may hope for a place in the world to come.

I wouldn't work for any company on the basis of the hope that I'd get paid. Why should I for God?

Sorry about the multiple posts, but I wanted to clear something up.

I have no problem with not knowing the answers to deep questions. Through a glass darkly, and all that.

My original post was trying to get at the fact that to accept sola fide in its strict form (no faith => damnation), while holding to a belief in a wholely benevolent God, while at the same time knowing that there are many people to whom Christian faith (in any of its possible forms) is impossible, is to accept a logical inconsistency.

It's not the same as saying `we don't know', it's the same as saying that 2+2=5.

quote:
My original post was trying to get at the fact that to accept sola fide in its strict form (no faith => damnation), while holding to a belief in a wholely benevolent God, while at the same time knowing that there are many people to whom Christian faith (in any of its possible forms) is impossible, is to accept a logical inconsistency.

Because I enjoy being contrary sometimes, yes, for the sake of the argument, I'll take the position here that no faith => damnation. [Devil]

Basically, it depends how you define "faith" - which is what Mousethief was trying to point out.

I'm summarising my previous post on this thread (if you would so kind to give it a glance for further illustration):

Conclusion: Faith through grace = righteous by God

Why?

1. faith = obedience to God's will

2. God's will = acting justly, loving mercy, walking humbly

3. Acting justly, loving mercy, walking humble = Christ

4. Christ = salvation

or

no faith = one will be cruel, one will be arrogant, unjust...will continue pursue a kingdom of darkness rather than light _____ [fill in the blank]
not righteous => pain & suffering

quote:
Can you give a specific example of a `good' act that is informed by a faith in good, and an example of an act carried out by an atheist which appears good, and yet is not, by the former standard?

Good actions are good actions whether they are done by a Christian or an atheist. If I'm looking for a good lawyer I don't give a rat's tap what the guy believes.

The difference is in the effect on the individual doing the action. If I practice law purely to make myself rich and famous then it is different than if I do it because I actually care about helping people. If belief in God is part of the mix that has an effect as well.

In any particular instance it may make no difference at all. I don't care what is going on in my lawyer's heart. But if all lawyers only cared about themselves and their reputations then their public image might begin to suffer. [Razz]
quote:
Doesn't your formulation leave a helluva lot of people (about 60% of the world's population) incapable of doing real `good'?

No. Almost everyone on earth believes in God.
quote:
I find extremely disturbing the notion that an ethical humanist could devote his whole life to doing good works, and indeed do things that appear to be good acts in the eyes of the huge majority of people in the world, and who nevertheless has done nothing good at all because his state of mind was wrong.

I never said it was all-or-nothing. There are many many factors. Belief in God is only one. Sincerity is another. The atheistic ethical humanist can do all kinds of good things, and do them better than a Christian. What is going on in his heart is his own business. Everyone plays their onw part in reforming the world.

My point is that, while good things can be done by anyone, the world, in the long run, will not be reformed by atheists but by believers. The reason is that all power resides in God, and so a connection to Him through religion is needed to achieve and sustain peace and prosperity over the long term.

Posted by Wolfgang (# 10809) on :

Marvin, you wrote
quote:
I wouldn't work for any company on the basis of the hope that I'd get paid. Why should I for God?
I confess I've not entered the world of work yet, nor am I likely to do so within the next few years, but surely this is exactly what you DO do. You don't get paid before you do the job, but rather you do your job, assuming that you'll be paid in full for the work you've done. The difference with Christianity is that we already have a down-payment, a deposit, guaranteeing our inheritance. (see Ephesians 1:13-14, for example.)

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang:
I confess I've not entered the world of work yet, nor am I likely to do so within the next few years, but surely this is exactly what you DO do. You don't get paid before you do the job, but rather you do your job, assuming that you'll be paid in full for the work you've done.

Except I have a contract with my employer, which we have both signed, stating the work I must do for them and the salary they must pay me. This contract is fully legal, and if they just refused to pay me one month I could get the money that is rightfully mine through the courts.

It's not like they just ask me to pop over and do some work for them, on the off chance that they'll feel like paying me for it afterwards...

quote:
Except I have a contract with my employer, which we have both signed, stating the work I must do for them and the salary they must pay me. This contract is fully legal, and if they just refused to pay me one month I could get the money that is rightfully mine through the courts.

And this is why the Bible is called a "Testament" or "Covenant." It is something you can agree to or not.

If everyone agreed to it, and if everyone fulfilled its conditions, the world would be a paradise. [Yipee]

quote:
no faith = one will be cruel, one will be arrogant, unjust...will continue pursue a kingdom of darkness rather than light _____ [fill in the blank]

With the greatest respect, I just don't see how that works out. I don't see any way that you can define `faith' makes makes that a valid proposition. Earlier you said:

``The way I see it -- faith is the same as acting in obedience to the will of the Father which is the same as loving your neighbor which is the same as God's words "what does God require? To love mercy, to act justly, and to walk humbly" which is the same as pursuing the kingdom of heaven which is the same as following Christ which is the same thing as being "saved."''

You seem to be equating `following Christ' with `loving mercy', `acting justly', and so on. But the people I know who best exemplify those virtues are not Christians. To say that a person with no faith will be `cruel, arrogant, and just' doesn't make any sense to me. At least, it doesn't fit my observation.

Perhaps if your definition of `faith' includes people who are `following Christ' but don't know it (by being merciful, loving, etc) then I can buy that. But that's not the definition of `faith' that most Christians use, I suspect. That's just `being a good person', isn't it?

quote:
And this is why the Bible is called a "Testament" or "Covenant." It is something you can agree to or not.

Sure, you can agree to it. Problem is, there's no guarantee of remuneration for holding up your end of the deal.

quote:
If everyone agreed to it, and if everyone fulfilled its conditions, the world would be a paradise. [Yipee]
I guess it would depend on which parts of the Bible most people followed...

Freddy:

If a righteous, agnostic humanist does good works his whole life, not for personal agrandisement but from a genuine love of humanity, then I think you would class this as `good'. That seems to be the impression I get. But he wouldn't be doing it out of faith in anything, except perhaps faith in the validity of his humanist notions.

So why does belief/faith in God tied up with goodness?

quote:
If a righteous, agnostic humanist does good works his whole life, not for personal agrandisement but from a genuine love of humanity, then I think you would class this as `good'. That seems to be the impression I get. But he wouldn't be doing it out of faith in anything, except perhaps faith in the validity of his humanist notions.

So why does belief/faith in God tied up with goodness?

Belief/faith in God is tied up with goodness because I think that it is hard to work your whole life, not for personal agrandisement, but from a genuine love of humanity, from an agnostic humanist perspective. I'm not saying that there are not plenty who do this. I'm just saying that the odds are not as good.

In the long run I believe it works better when people believe in God.

In other words, society can work well whether people believe in God or not. But over the long haul, a society with no belief in God, or where belief in God is rare, will struggle.

I guess that there are a lot of experiments currently going on in the world to see whether or not this is true. Currently it appears that nations with a high percentage of atheists are doing just fine. We'll see how it turns out. [Biased]

quote:
You seem to be equating `following Christ' with `loving mercy', `acting justly', and so on. But the people I know who best exemplify those virtues are not Christians.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with saying that a lot of athiests, non-Christians, who-knows-what-have-you are people of great faith. I, personally, have been inspired by a lot of Muslims and their devotion and desire for purity has spurred my faith. I've also learned a great from a few athiests as well. I don't think you need to be a christian in order to have "faith."

I guess I don't understand your definition of faith then. 'Cause for me faith is not merely an intellectual assent to doctrine. Faith is living life, living life in the most best way - the way Christ exemplified it for us, namely dying to one's self and living a life of love.

quote:
To say that a person with no faith will be `cruel, arrogant, and just' doesn't make any sense to me. At least, it doesn't fit my observation.

Again, it goes back to what Mousethief was pointing out - what is "faith"? It all depends on how you define faith, I guess.

quote:
Perhaps if your definition of `faith' includes people who are `following Christ' but don't know it (by being merciful, loving, etc) then I can buy that.

Yes, that is what I see the Scriptures teach us. At least, that is what I see looking at Amos, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Jeremiah, the Psalms...in fact, now that I think about it...most of our scriptures. i.e. "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." (Micah 6:8, NIV)

quote:
But that's not the definition of `faith' that most Christians use

Eh, well, take a look at hebrews 11, I believe, the classic "Wall of Faith" it all about collection of characters who did crazy things - none of it mentions assenting to some doctrine - it seems to me that looking at that list of crazy people - faith is about living in the promise of God and loving people.

quote:
I suspect. That's just `being a good person', isn't it?

Yes it is good to "seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well" and we are all in a journey of life and hopefully moving some degrees forward to allowing God to illuminate our lives to transform us more into his likeness.

Sorry about the ambiguous response but the best I can say is that none of us are good but we, each one in faith, in various decrees being are being made righteous through Christ. And that process can be painful. It includes dying.

Freddy can probably say more words on this matter of being a "good person" - I don't quite know how to phrase it myself.

Joyfulsoul, I identify with everything you are saying here. Thanks! [Angel]

Dear Joyfulsoul

I, too agree with everything you say. And your mention of Micah 6.8. I don't believe that anyone in any religion has come up with a better requirement of us and for our salvation. Salvation by creed is a sad diversion of mainstream Christianity.

quote:
I think before we can answer any of the very important questions that this thread has raised, we need to decide what we mean by "faith" -- do we mean intellectual assent to a proposition or set of propositions (e.g. "God exists", "Jesus is Lord" etc.)? Or something more profound and deeper, something that might even exist in a person who gives intellectual assent to none of the propositions usually mentioned in terms of "faith"?

I think this is a very important point, Mousethief. And I think it's a point on which the majority of Christians has it wrong, and to their own spiritual detriment. For most Christians would think of the latter, not of the former. However, first this "special faith" is ill defined. "Profound and deep" in whose eyes, measured with regards to what, being demonstrated how? The definition is according to what it is not, not according to what it is. That makes it intangible, remote, in the end a mere opinion. Therfore it follows second that one cannot rest in such a faith. How can I ever know that I've finally got "it"? Maybe my faith is false, not deep and profound enough? How do I even know that I have faith at all? Maybe I'm just hunting illusions, maybe I'm driving myself into ever deeper delusions. This sort of faith can by definition never be rock-solid, because it is purely experiential and requires constant affirmation. Take somebody out of a group which affirms their experience of such faith, or for that matter, turn that group against somebody's experience of faith - how easily that person's former certainty vanishes, like mist in the sun.

I will stick with St Augustine's simple definition: "Faith, on the other hand, is an acceptance of, or assent to, something that is not clearly seen." That's all there is to it. Forget the "special effects". I have no doubts that they exist and even that they usually occur on the path to greater saintliness. But St Therese of Lisieux demonstrates quite beautifully that one can tough it out on acceptance/assent alone, even contrary to one's experience, even in the face of "having lost God" experientially. How often have we heard that someone has "lost their faith" in the sense of now lacking that "special connection to God"? Such "special faith" is the icing on a cake, not the bread of life.

quote:
quote:

Grace.
Isn't grace a means by which we are granted goodness? When I first say Jesus is Lord, that is by grace... but the grace does not work passively through a completely evil, misguided mind... moving my lips and thoughts by another power.... I am granted the goodness to be able to say "Jesus is Lord" in the first place.

quote:
1. We've already had 30-odd pages on [hell], and not got anywhere [Smile]

I whole-heartedly disagree!

quote:
I have no problem with not knowing the answers to deep questions.
I completely believe you, CC. No need to be worried. The confusion arose from-

quote:
But I think it's cleared up now.

quote:
How do I even know that I have faith at all? Maybe I'm just hunting illusions, maybe I'm driving myself into ever deeper delusions. This sort of faith can by definition never be rock-solid, because it is purely experiential and requires constant affirmation.

No, this sort of faith can by definition never be rock-solid because being rock-solid would not be faith. We long for solid certainty, but I don't think it is something we are blessed with in this life. That, to me, is the whole point of faith. Believing and acting on things when you aren't sure. Which is a variation of what you said later in the post, but which I think contradicts your problem stated above.

-Digory

quote:
No, this sort of faith can by definition never be rock-solid because being rock-solid would not be faith.

Please re-read what I wrote. You are confusing the intensity and solidity of the personal assent with its cognitive status and its general acceptability. For example, one can be unshakably convinced that Christ is God without knowing much about Christology and without being able to convince others of this by reasonable argument. A good many martyrs weren't scholars or rhetoricians. They did not see clearly, not even nearly as clear as possible for humans in this life, nevertheless their assent did not fail even unto death. If that is not rock-solid faith, then I want to know what is "rock-solid"?

I'm not saying, of course, that one shouldn't study and be knowledgable. And if true knowledge contradicts faith, then that faith has to be abandoned - for seeing clearly forces one's assent. But knowledge limits the realm of faith, rather than determining its strength.

quote:
I am granted the goodness to be able to say "Jesus is Lord" in the first place.

Beautifully put. I think that it is a universal principle that love or goodness always precedes faith or truth. This is just what I mean by grace.

quote:
I'm not saying, of course, that one shouldn't study and be knowledgable. And if true knowledge contradicts faith, then that faith has to be abandoned - for seeing clearly forces one's assent. But knowledge limits the realm of faith, rather than determining its strength.

I see what you mean and I don't really disagree. But Jesus said:
quote:
John 18:37 "For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.”
And also:
quote:
John 8:31-33 “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
These ideas, as well as His being "the Light" and "the Word", seem to place knowledge in an almost salvific role. In striking contrast to the knowledge meant by the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden!

There must be two kinds of knowledge. Or two senses in which knowledge can be helpful or limiting.

quote:
Originally posted by JoyfulSoul:
Yeah, I don't have a problem with saying that a lot of athiests, non-Christians, who-knows-what-have-you are people of great faith. I, personally, have been inspired by a lot of Muslims and their devotion and desire for purity has spurred my faith. I've also learned a great from a few athiests as well. I don't think you need to be a christian in order to have "faith."

OK. I can see what you're getting at -- it's just that you use the word `faith' in a completely different way to me.

I always though that to have `faith' you have to have faith in something or someone. I've never used the word `faith' in a sort of free-floating sense. You suggest that atheists can have `faith', but presumably they don't have faith _in_ somebody or something.

Aren't you just using the word faith to me ``a committment to leading a loving and selfless life'' or something? I'm not saying that's a bad thing -- just that I always understood faith to have a specific object.

Posted by Evo1 (# 10249) on :

quote:
I always though that to have `faith' you have to have faith in something or someone. I've never used the word `faith' in a sort of free-floating sense. You suggest that atheists can have `faith', but presumably they don't have faith _in_ somebody or something.

When I was an atheist, my faith was all in me. It's so much less stressful these days.

quote:
quote:
1. We've already had 30-odd pages on [hell], and not got anywhere [Smile]

I whole-heartedly disagree!

Sorry, by `not got anywhere' I meant that we had not achieved consensus [Smile] I didn't mean that it was a fruitless discussion. Of course, expecting consensus on such a subject is asking a bit much [Biased]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JoyfulSoul:

OK. I can see what you're getting at -- it's just that you use the word `faith' in a completely different way to me.

Aren't you just using the word faith to me ``a committment to leading a loving and selfless life'' or something? I'm not saying that's a bad thing -- just that I always understood faith to have a specific object.

Faith is being sure of what we all hope for; it is becoming the evidence of what none of us can see.

I think Joyful's claims speak to a larger truth, where religious labels and even doctrines are all at best pointers toward a Truth that we don't ever really grasp here. If I say I believe in God, and make speeches about belief in God, and write a book about why people should believe in God, and yet I do not act like I believe in God (whatever that may mean precisely), what does that say about my belief? So then, with the opposite alternative, perhaps...

-Digory

quote:
Of course, expecting consensus on such a subject is asking a bit much [Biased]

Amen!

IngoB, if I didn't know better, I'd think you took my brief description of a non-propositional "faith" to be a definition. That would be blind folly. I was calling for a definition, not proposing one with that post. I'm not sure I could come up with a definition that was both big and small enough. But something along the lines of what Joyfulsoul has said seems to be the right direction to take.

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

The subject of faith was a great stumbling block for me because of its religous connotations. The whole notion of "belief in the unseen" (and some of the other references here for the term) was a serious hangup. Now I see it as a process representing just one of the steps in any creative act. It's more fundamental to the existence of things than I first realized.

For me it represents the force that gives life to stages of creation as symbolized by one view of the trinity. Complete conviction in creative law doesn't require objective support for the results to be realized, but those results can certainly reinforce inner conviction. I can testify that the "bootstrap" method does indeed work.

quote:
There must be two kinds of knowledge. Or two senses in which knowledge can be helpful or limiting.

I think first we have to distinguish between Divine knowledge and human knowledge (and if you want, angelic knowledge...). Whatever we may conclude about human knowledge does not change that God's knowledge can only be "helpful", never "limiting" (in whatever analogous sense we may mean that). As for humans, I think the crucial point is what our knowledge is ordered to. If it becomes "knowledge for knowledge's sake" it hinders us (in regards to religion now, in fundamental science this is the ideal modus operandi!). If it is "knowledge for God's sake" it doesn't. For example, a biblical scholar may be the world's foremost authority on scripture without being as "saved" as his gardener, who is barely literate. Of course, if that scholar was to find faith, his knowledge would be of enormous benefit to him, and perhaps more so, to others. But as it is it remains "dead", since it is ordered to itself (to being knowledgable about scripture) not to God. Given the difference in personal mental ability, education and environment, I do not think that we should assign to human knowledge a salvific nature per se. Rather, God is Truth and His Truth indeed sets us free. Whether His Truth is expressed in us as "faith" or "knowledge" does not matter, as long as it is expressed. I reject both elitist extremes as sine qua non: neither perfect theological knowledge nor perfectly "blind" faith must be achieved to draw close to God.

quote:
IngoB, if I didn't know better, I'd think you took my brief description of a non-propositional "faith" to be a definition. That would be blind folly. I was calling for a definition, not proposing one with that post. I'm not sure I could come up with a definition that was both big and small enough. But something along the lines of what Joyfulsoul has said seems to be the right direction to take.

I explicitly delivered a definition, namely St Augustine's statement, which I support. I explicitly rejected another definition which you may, or may not, have hinted at. It was not my intention to assign either to you as your opinion. As for Joyfulsoul's "definition", frankly, I think she solves the issue by conceptual overloading. Sure, if I assign the entire life of the righteous before God to mean "faith", then I can rest assured that not a single bit of faith has escaped my definition. The price to pay is however that I then do not know more and cannot say more than before that definition.

Posted by Lou Poulain (# 1587) on :

quote:
These ideas, as well as His being "the Light" and "the Word", seem to place knowledge in an almost salvific role. In striking contrast to the knowledge meant by the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden!

I am reading an interesting book by James Alison, THE JOY OF BEING WRONG. A whimsical title to a serious book on original sin in light of the resurrection. He speaks to this question and I can't pretend to be able to explain all the nuanced points he makes, but I agree with this: The resurrected Jesus is at one and the same time the Victim who was slain and the First Born from the dead. Knowledge of the resurrection and the experience of the risen Lord gave the disciples a framework or context to intrepret all of Jesus' teachings and actions, and to present them as witness not just to God's power, but to a profoundly different way of being. Alison talks about the parable of the sheep and goats, and makes the point that the parable is not a prescription for particular behaviour, but rather it is about a way of seeing the the eyes of the victims, and achieving compassion for the other, rather than the natural human perspective that builds self (and group) identity over against the other. Seeing thru the eyes of the victim, the sheep respond with compassion without the knowledge that the victim is the "least of [the Lord's] brothers." The goats, on the other hand, mired in their culture of victimization and exclusion simply DON'T SEE the victim. They could never identify the victim with the Lord, because the victim is invisible to them. This is a paradigm of the Kingdom of God, and the parables of the great banquet and Jesus' teachings in the Sermon on the Mount explicate this.

Alison contends that human culture is violent and exclusionary and persecutorial, but it is possible, by means of grace, to change our perspective (what he refers to as acquiring the "intelligence of the victim,") enabling us to see thru the eyes of the victim and restructure our lives in compassion for the other. In my view, the life of faith.

He talks about Karl Rahner's idea of the "anonymous Christian" who, in Alison's parlance, perceives with the intelligence of the victim, and lives a life in compassion, a life congruent with the Kingdom of God, made possible by grace irregardless whether the person (like the sheep in Mt 25?) knows the identity of the Victim who was slain/First Born from the dead, or not.

He also labors to say that he does not equate knowledge with salvation, or vice versa, but that the acquision of the "intelligence of the victim" insofar as it reorders our lives, is a sign of salvation.

I admit I've probably butchered a fair amount of what Alison has to say, but I have been noodling on the contents of the book (well, the first half of it) for a few weeks now. Unfortunately, I don't have it with me as I write to make sure I do him justice.

Lou

Posted by Joykins (# 5820) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Joyfulsoul:
Because I enjoy being contrary sometimes, yes, for the sake of the argument, I'll take the position here that no faith => damnation. [Devil]

Basically, it depends how you define "faith" - which is what Mousethief was trying to point out.

I'm summarising my previous post on this thread (if you would so kind to give it a glance for further illustration):

Conclusion: Faith through grace = righteous by God

Why?

1. faith = obedience to God's will

2. God's will = acting justly, loving mercy, walking humbly

3. Acting justly, loving mercy, walking humble = Christ

4. Christ = salvation

or

Thank you for articulating something I've been trying to articulate for some time but have yet been unable to.

I agree completely.

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
The subject of faith was a great stumbling block for me because of its religous connotations. The whole notion of "belief in the unseen" (and some of the other references here for the term) was a serious hangup.

I really can relate to that a whole lot. I haven't seen God and I've never heard his voice or really seen any angelic visitations or seen any supernatural miracle. It really hard to declare with 100% certainty - "oh, YES, God is just so REAL! I BELIEVE, I have faith!" when God is silent, invisible, and intangible and described in books that written in some other language over 1000s of years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
Now I see it as a process representing just one of the steps in any creative act. It's more fundamental to the existence of things than I first realized.

For me it represents the force that gives life to stages of creation as symbolized by one view of the trinity. Complete conviction in creative law doesn't require objective support for the results to be realized, but those results can certainly reinforce inner conviction. I can testify that the "bootstrap" method does indeed work.

Exactly. I don't see God, I can't hear God but my faith is about living my life like God exists - like he loves and cares about people and that his primary purpose is the transformation of the inner being into something grander and illuminated. like what Jesus said about bringing us into an "abundant life."

quote:

I guess what I've learned or discovered is that faith is not merely assent something or someone - but rather -- faith is life (= is obedience to God's will).

I think perhaps I was mistaught (is that word?) in my youth. I mistaught that everyone who didn't confess with their mouth that Jesus is Lord was destined for the hell-fires. But what I think is really crucial is that none of my teachers seemed to really understand what it means that Jesus is Lord.

I mean what about this verse:

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 7:21)

So when I say that I have seen non-believers of faith - I mean that I've seen people be obedient to God's will (perhaps often completely unknowingly) by being kind to others, selfless, noble, pursuing the good, desiring to be transformed to being a more full person, enduring some really terrible things but not continuing a pattern of cruelty...etc. And what pleases God is obedience - so perhaps these people (though they are not confessing christians) please God because they are obedient to his will by choosing good and following it.

quote:

It does seem to me that here there is emphasis mere declaration of a faith is insufficient and rather that real faith is perhaps can be understood as living your life in accordance with the will of God our Father.

If we look at the gospels, Jesus rarely required his followers to sign some sort of doctrinal statement of belief -- rather he was content enough just hanging out with them and teaching them and loving on them and allowing his presence to grow and impart value knowledge and beauty and love and transformation for them.

So, from what I gather from the bible -- faith is being obedient to God and obedient to God means growing and living in love (i.e. the two most important commandments: Love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself). And so living a life with love and growing in that love and allowing God to work a transformation in our own inner soul and "faith" go hand in hand.

So, yes, this is long way of saying that I feel that faith is not just faith in something (as I had been taught previously) but maybe instead maybe faith means that we live out pursuing God's will (?) -- (because that pleases God).

I don't know. This is my best guess at the moment. What are your thoughts on faith? And what does faith mean to you?

quote:
Faith is being sure of what we all hope for; it is becoming the evidence of what none of us can see.

I think Joyful's claims speak to a larger truth, where religious labels and even doctrines are all at best pointers toward a Truth that we don't ever really grasp here. If I say I believe in God, and make speeches about belief in God, and write a book about why people should believe in God, and yet I do not act like I believe in God (whatever that may mean precisely), what does that say about my belief? So then, with the opposite alternative, perhaps...

-Digory

Exactly. You put it so concisely! [Angel]

quote:
I guess what I've learned or discovered is that faith is not merely assent something or someone - but rather -- faith is life (= is obedience to God's will).
It does seem to me that here there is emphasis mere declaration of a faith is insufficient and rather that real faith is perhaps can be understood as living your life in accordance with the will of God our Father.
So, from what I gather from the bible -- faith is being obedient to God and obedient to God means growing and living in love (i.e. the two most important commandments: Love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself). And so living a life with love and growing in that love and allowing God to work a transformation in our own inner soul and "faith" go hand in hand.

I agree that this sums it up very well. The bottom line is that you can't separate faith and living a life of love and charity. Like this quote from one of my demonination's books:
quote:
Charity devoid of faith is not genuine charity, and faith devoid of charity is not faith. For charity to be real, faith must be present; and for faith to be real, charity must be present.
As I see it, the insistence that these two elements can't really exist without the other is very helpful in understanding how salvation works.

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy (quoting a book):
quote:
Charity devoid of faith is not genuine charity,

What is it then?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy (quoting a book):
quote:
Charity devoid of faith is not genuine charity,

What is it then?
It's charity, just not genuine. A person can be kind for self-centered reasons, and the kindness would then be not genuine.

Of course, no one's kindness is perfectly genuine, since none of us are perfect.

I would take it in a pinch though. [Biased]

Posted by OliviaG (# 9881) on :

quote:
The bottom line is that you can't separate faith and living a life of love and charity. Like this quote from one of my demonination's books:
quote:
Charity devoid of faith is not genuine charity, and faith devoid of charity is not faith. For charity to be real, faith must be present; and for faith to be real, charity must be present.

[Projectile]
Fortunately for me, Revenue Canada and registered charities do not apply this principle. Otherwise, I would not receive so much as a thank-you, never mind a tax receipt, for my faithless donations. Ah, obviously I'm doing it for selfish ego-gratification, not because I want persons with AIDS or persons in conflict with the justice system to get the help they need, or because I would like homeless and injured animals to get proper care, or because I want British Columbia's young women to develop their leadership potential...

That quote will definitely remain in my memory as one of the most insulting things I've ever read on the Internet. OliviaG

quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
That quote will definitely remain in my memory as one of the most insulting things I've ever read on the Internet. OliviaG

You may have just helped me settle in my mind the usual meaning of the word "charity." [Roll Eyes]

I wasn't referring to aid organizations or to the practice of giving aid. I was using the word to mean ordinary thoughtfulness, kindness, love, good works or goodwill.

I was not meaning to suggest that aid organizations, and their contributors, that are not faith-based, are not genuine. Far from it.

The idea is just a variation on James' statement:
quote:
James 2.17 "Faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works...
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

Similarly, works without faith is lacking.

Not meaning to be insulting. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 30. January 2006, 17:49: Message edited by: Freddy ]

Posted by OliviaG (# 9881) on :

quote:
Similarly, works without faith is lacking.

Not meaning to be insulting. [Hot and Hormonal]

I think I used the wrong word. Perhaps demoralizing would have been better. However, if by "faith", you mean specifically the Christian faith, then that quote above might be upsetting to non-Christians. I wouldn't want to get into an argument about whether e.g. Mohandas Gandhi's lack of faith diminished the value of his works.

In one of your earlier posts, you said,
quote:
Belief/faith in God is tied up with goodness because I think that it is hard to work your whole life, not for personal agrandisement, but from a genuine love of humanity, from an agnostic humanist perspective. I'm not saying that there are not plenty who do this. I'm just saying that the odds are not as good.
I agree with you that "it is hard". Based my own observations, I would also agree that "the odds are not as good". But "works without faith is lacking" dismisses anyone who is trying hard to buck those odds.

Freddy, I apologize for sounding jerkish. This discussion is quite emotionally involving and appears to be affecting my language abilities.

OliviaG

quote:
I agree with you that "it is hard". Based my own observations, I would also agree that "the odds are not as good". But "works without faith is lacking" dismisses anyone who is trying hard to buck those odds.

Olivia, Good point. I guess that this a pretty classic difficulty in Christianity. I'm thinking of faith as trust in God, however a person conceives of Him. Not specifically the Christian God.

I understand about this being an emotional topic. I appreciate your honesty!

quote:
quote:

Olivia, Good point. I guess that this a pretty classic difficulty in Christianity. I'm thinking of faith as trust in God, however a person conceives of Him. Not specifically the Christian God.

I guess ``works without faith is lacking'' can make sense and be non-insulting if `faith' is interpreted in a particular way. For example, if you read `faith in God' as `a recgnition of the implicit and transcendent value of all human life' then even an atheist can have `faith'. I must confess that when I started this thread, it was on the assumption that Christians read `faith' as `acceptance of the Christian doctrine', which I now understand is not the way at least some Christians mean it.

I suppose it can be argued that if you work for the public good, not out of selfish motives but from a genuine love of humanity, then your charity stems from trust in God, even though you don't know it. However, I'm not sure that an ethical humanist would go along with this [Smile]

quote:
I suppose it can be argued that if you work for the public good, not out of selfish motives but from a genuine love of humanity, then your charity stems from trust in God, even though you don't know it. However, I'm not sure that an ethical humanist would go along with this [Smile]

I guess the basic idea is that "For God so loved the world" and so if we share in God's love for the world - it pleases God and we are known by God (book of 1 John). So, aren't the ethical humanists following God's commands love our neighbors as ourselves?

quote:
I guess the basic idea is that "For God so loved the world" and so if we share in God's love for the world - it pleases God and we are known by God (book of 1 John). So, aren't the ethical humanists following God's commands love our neighbors as ourselves?

Yes, very possibly; but an athestic humanist wouldn't see it that way. If you categorically reject the existence of God, you aren't going to accept that you are serving God without knowing it [Smile]

quote:
If you categorically reject the existence of God, you aren't going to accept that you are serving God without knowing it [Smile]

Surely, in terms of Salvation, the only thing that matters is whether God accepts it as such [Big Grin]

One may wish to very rapidly, retrospecitively accept it in certain after-life scenarios one could imagine....

quote:
One may wish to very rapidly, retrospecitively accept it in certain after-life scenarios one could imagine....

Amen, sir. Aaaaaaa-men.

Oh, and what Marvin just said, too.

Posted by Teapot (# 10837) on :

I wonder how much of the faith/works argument boils down to whether we think the kingdom (for us Christians here [Smile] ) is something created by an act of human will put into action; that is we make the kingdom by our actions, we build it by the sweat of our brow and our puissance.

Or, otherly, whether we think the kingdom is already there, waiting for us and that we simply need to accept it.

Of course the first argument is redolent of hubris (constructing the kingdom being an action of the ego infused with power)….and the latter an act of humility (recognising that we cannot make the world a paradise through our will but only through accepting the kingdom that is already there awaiting us)…..so I know which I reckon is the Christian way….. [Smile]

The question is, how many think that it works the other way around; that what we build in this world is directly how we make the kingdom come into being? That, to me, is what “salvation by works” implies. Sure we are told to feed the hungry etc but we are told to seek first the kingdom and THEN feed the hungry…not seek to create the kingdom by feeding the hungry.

Erm, does that make sense?

Posted by Bester (# 10639) on :

Hello all. I am new to this so apologies if I don't get this posting thing right!

I found reading this debate very thought provoking. For me, the problem with the whole faith vs. works dilemma goes something like this:

It can't be that people are saved purely by an intellectual belief in God- as James points out, it's possible to believe that God exists and yet reject following Him. Equally I have known atheists and agnostics who appear to have a very real hunger for something outside themselves and who put far more effort into leading a good life than many Christians, yet for whatever reason they have an intellectual problem with the exsistence of God.

Then again, it can't be that people are saved purely through works- what about a mass-murderer who genuinely repents and tries to change his ways near the end of his life? If salvation is purely through works what is the point of unconditional forgiveness?

So, if salvation is through some combination of the two, or some broader definition of 'faith', where does this lie? I can't find any answer to that question- perhaps that is an indication that it can only be answered by God in each individual case, and that no generic 'do this and you're saved, don't and you're not' rule will fit all cases?

Posted by Evo1 (# 10249) on :

I believe we are saved by works.
(Just not ours)

quote:
Originally posted by Bester:
So, if salvation is through some combination of the two, or some broader definition of 'faith', where does this lie? I can't find any answer to that question- perhaps that is an indication that it can only be answered by God in each individual case, and that no generic 'do this and you're saved, don't and you're not' rule will fit all cases?

Welcome Bester! Very nice thought.

I guess it makes sense that the question can only be answered by God in each individual case. Generic "do this" rules are hard to make fit every circumstance.

It seems to me that the bottom line is always that loving God and loving the neighbor are the two things that support all of "the Law and the Prophets." These are the loves that make up heaven - and they must therefore be the basis for being able to be there. Isn't this what Jesus taught?

The real question, I think, is how we go about acquiring those two loves. [Confused]

Faith surely plays a part, as does active obedience to God. But love is a slippery thing, and people can have it who may not seem to have abided exactly by the rules. It is possible for it to appear quickly, and it is also possible for it to be absent even after a lifetime of apparent faith in and obedience to God.

Jesus is "the way, the truth, and the life" because believing in Him, obeying Him, and loving Him are the way to having heavenly love in your heart.

However, this love comes in degrees. It is not an all-or-nothing acquisition. To the extent that what anyone loves, believes, and lives by is consistent with what Jesus taught, to that extent he has heavenly love and the happiness of heaven.

So I guess I don't really see why this needs to be such a difficult question. Certainly there is no "one-size-fits-all" way of arriving at salvation and the certainty of salvation. It is surely a process that is both too complicated for simplistic formula and elastic enough to fit billions of people's individual situations.

At the same time, virtually every religion on earth is in agreement as to most of the basic essentials about how people ought to live. Anyone who loves God and the neighbor and sincerely practices some belief that seems consistent with those loves is not likely to go far wrong. [Cool]

quote:
Originally posted by Teapot:
I wonder how much of the faith/works argument boils down to whether we think the kingdom (for us Christians here [Smile] ) is something created by an act of human will put into action; that is we make the kingdom by our actions, we build it by the sweat of our brow and our puissance.

Or, otherly, whether we think the kingdom is already there, waiting for us and that we simply need to accept it.

What about none of the above? The kingdom isn't "just there" -- we are its building stones; the master builder is Christ. It's a work in progress, and part of how it progresses is when we feed the poor, etc.

quote:
quote:

What about none of the above? The kingdom isn't "just there" -- we are its building stones; the master builder is Christ. It's a work in progress, and part of how it progresses is when we feed the poor, etc.
Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. - Matt 4:17

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for their's is the kingdom of heaven. - Matt. 5:3

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for their's is the kingdom of heaven. Matt. 5:10

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. - Matt. 7:21

Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. - Matt. 18:3

A rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. - Matt. 19:23

All kind of imply its already there waiting for us to accept it.

quote:
It seems to me that the bottom line is always that loving God and loving the neighbor are the two things that support all of "the Law and the Prophets." These are the loves that make up heaven - and they must therefore be the basis for being able to be there. Isn't this what Jesus taught?

Well, I've got no problem with the "love your neighbour" part. It makes sense, even though I fail to live up to it pretty much every minute (every second?) of my life. I can see why following it would make for a better world.

It's the "love God" bit I have trouble with.

Posted by strathclydezero (# 180) on :

quote:

I take the "loving God" to imply that you're a happier person if you accept your lot in life, rather than always striving to get ahead.

Sort of like a theological "keep your head down and get on with it"?

Posted by Bester (# 10639) on :

quote:

I agree. But the question that then bothers me is 'is it possible to love God without believing He exists?' I am tempted to say yes; after all God is surely far more than a mere intellectual fact and someone who rejects the intellectual fact may yet belive strongly in Goodness or Truth or Justice. I have an atheist friend who strongly agrees with the majority of Jesus' moral teachings and is considerably better than many Christians at living by them (myself included) but cannot accept that there is a God. Does he love God through loving God's ways?

quote:
Sort of like a theological "keep your head down and get on with it"?

Normally, if you dig deep enough you can find some reason for most meaningless dogma. In this case the dogma has probably moved so far from the original meaning through changes in the meaning of 'love' and 'god' that it is a totally different animal to how it was first intended.

quote:
Originally posted by strathclydezero:
In this case the dogma has probably moved so far from the original meaning through changes in the meaning of 'love' and 'god' that it is a totally different animal to how it was first intended.

Probably "obey". Most people who tell me to "love God" tend to mean I should do whatever they think He's telling me to do...

quote:
quote:
In this case the dogma has probably moved so far from the original meaning through changes in the meaning of 'love' and 'god' that it is a totally different animal to how it was first intended.

Probably "obey". Most people who tell me to "love God" tend to mean I should do whatever they think He's telling me to do...
Or it could simply mean "hold as precious" and thus "be in accord with what he teaches"

Or indeed it could be the "standard question" as in:

Person A: "Do you love God?"
Person B: "Yup"
Person A: "Ok you have passed the idiot test and not said 'no' in a highly religious society [Biased] now lets get to the nitty gritty....do you love your neighbour?"

[Smile]

quote:
Or it could simply mean "hold as precious" and thus "be in accord with what he teaches"

In the post enlightenment world I don't think you can equate "believing in" with "holding as precious". We no longer live in a highly religious society, so it's time for a reinterpretation. [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Bester:
I have an atheist friend who strongly agrees with the majority of Jesus' moral teachings and is considerably better than many Christians at living by them (myself included) but cannot accept that there is a God. Does he love God through loving God's ways?

This is always the hard question.

One answer, as I said, is that these things are not black-and-white or all-or-nothing. To the extent that your friend, or any of us, has a belief and love in our hearts that is in accord with the actual state of affairs, to that extent we will be "in harmony with the universe" and therefore be in a heavenly state of being. Words, names, ideas, and concepts are all necessarily vague representations of the underlying reality that determines how things actually work.

Another answer is to compare it with a parallel but purely natural situation. Suppose that I do not believe in science, do not accept scientific information, and have my own personal explanations for how the world works. I think that trees cause the wind by shaking their leaves and that evil spirits cause sickness. At the same time, I live a life that conforms to the ordinary practices of society and am just as healthy and productive as anyone else.

Would this be OK?

I would guess that this might work fine for any particular person, but that if society as a whole operated on these principles we would be in trouble. Even the individual who got along just fine with these beliefs might be in trouble in certain circumstances, such as if the welfare of others depended on his judgment.

I guess this parallel isn't quite parallel, since scientific beliefs can be demonstrated much more persuasively and concretely than the belief in God. Still, the principle is the same, because the "why" of life, and its epistemological framework, eventually have an impact on what actually happens.

So I think that in the long run it is necessary to have a belief in God to be saved, just as it is necessary in the long run for people to accept and apply the scientific method for things to run smoothly in this world.

In a sense a person does love God through loving God's ways. The question is whether it is really possible in the long run to sustain a love for the ways while rejecting their source and substance. Eventually you would expect that something would have to give. Either the love of the ways would lead to an understanding and love of their source and substance, or vice versa.

quote:
In the post enlightenment world I don't think you can equate "believing in" with "holding as precious". We no longer live in a highly religious society, so it's time for a reinterpretation. [Biased]

Well....christians believe in the devil (discuss [Biased] ) but that does not mean they love him [Smile]

Loving implies in many ways "intimately knowing" someone....

quote:

Love of God must equate to arrogance in the Christian sense then.

quote:
quote:

Why?

quote:
quote:
quote:

Why?
How can anyone "intimately know" a deity?

quote:

Erm, its called mysticism [Confused] Like with St John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, Catherine of Sienna, Julian of Norwich......not to mention pre-fall adam and eve who used to share garden promenades apparently [Biased]

[ 02. February 2006, 14:11: Message edited by: Teapot ]

quote:
quote:

Erm, its called mysticism [Confused] Like with St John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, Catherine of Sienna, Julian of Norwich......not to mention pre-fall adam and eve who used to share garden promenades apparently [Biased]
Exactly - arrogance. You have to believe that the mystics were onto something in order to see their way of thinking as intimate.

quote:
Exactly - arrogance. You have to believe that the mystics were onto something in order to see their way of thinking as intimate.

Not sure what you mean here....

And are you suggesting mysticism is arrogant because it experiences the divine "up close and personal"?!

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why?
This is kind of a weird exchange. SCZ I'm not sure where you are coming from. [Paranoid]

"Intimately knowing" does not have the connotation of "perfect knowledge of", as I understand it.

The scenario I would imagine is of someone reflecting on their life, thinking that they see and understand how God has led them and helped them, and feeling love and gratitude. Another scenario would be someone having a vision in their mind of how God loves humanity and is working to save all people, and loving Him because of that "intimate understanding." There are lots of scenarios that might come to mind.

This is not mysticism, nor is it in any way arrogant. It is just loving in the usual sense.

quote:
And are you suggesting mysticism is arrogant because it experiences the divine "up close and personal"?!

Not at all. Mysticism is a very personal thing, and is not very suited to broad claims of truth. The arrogance I spoke of was that of assuming you can know god in a way which falsifies others experiences of god. You seemed to imply that love of god stemmed from intimately experiencing him/it, which seems to leave a lot of christians bereft of loving god.

quote:
quote:

Not at all. Mysticism is a very personal thing, and is not very suited to broad claims of truth. The arrogance I spoke of was that of assuming you can know god in a way which falsifies others experiences of god. You seemed to imply that love of god stemmed from intimately experiencing him/it, which seems to leave a lot of christians bereft of loving god.
What other ways are there to love, other than in "intimate knowing"? Frequently "intimate knowledge" is used as a cover term for all manner of "loving"....both sexual and otherwise.

I already suggested a possible alternative meaning.

quote:
I already suggested a possible alternative meaning.

Do you mean "believing in"? Erm, how is that Love?

eh?

quote:
eh?

I was trying to find your alternative meaning....if I did not find it could you please say what it is?

[ 02. February 2006, 15:13: Message edited by: Teapot ]

quote:
quote:

I take the "loving God" to imply that you're a happier person if you accept your lot in life, rather than always striving to get ahead.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Aha! Sorry [Smile]

Could you say how you think that is "loving"?

quote:

In order to love someone you sometimes have to forget about the things about them which annoy you. The same might apply to god, however you define god.

Personally, god is not my neighbour. And he/it is does not have a quasi-human character.

quote:
quote:

In order to love someone you sometimes have to forget about the things about them which annoy you. The same might apply to god, however you define god.

Personally, god is not my neighbour. And he/it is does not have a quasi-human character.

Dont you think loving requires embracing rather that tollerating?

quote:

In the case of god - what the hell is someone supposed to embrace?

quote:
quote:

In the case of god - what the hell is someone supposed to embrace?
Well, how do you embrace:

Liberty

Hope

A better way of living

[Smile]

You dont need to use your arms, explicitly.

You seem to be talking about embracing human emotion. So god is simply a human emotion to you?

quote:
You seem to be talking about embracing human emotion. So god is simply a human emotion to you?

Lol no. I am giving examples of embracing a non-physical something [Smile]

quote:
quote:

OK - so let me ask again. In the case of god what the hell are you supposed to embrace?

You two! [Disappointed] [Paranoid] [Killing me] [Paranoid] [Disappointed]

quote:
quote:
quote:

OK - so let me ask again. In the case of god what the hell are you supposed to embrace?
Godself. Which is probably an answer that leaves you all [Confused] [Confused] [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Help]

I cant make you understand it by reason, you need to experience it through epiphany (which cannot be brought about by act of will, it can only be "allowed" to happen by yourself)

quote:
I cant make you understand it by reason, you need to experience it through epiphany (which cannot be brought about by act of will, it can only be "allowed" to happen by yourself)

So ...

Why then does Jesus suggest that we 'love God'? Surely he should be saying that we should 'love God if we've experienced epiphany'? In fact, I'd expect someone like Jesus to suggest how we might go about a compromise if we never come to experience epiphany. Strangely that condition doesn't seem to feature. Any idea why?

quote:
Why then does Jesus suggest that we 'love God'? Surely he should be saying that we should 'love God if we've experienced epiphany'? In fact, I'd expect someone like Jesus to suggest how we might go about a compromise if we never come to experience epiphany. Strangely that condition doesn't seem to feature. Any idea why?

Well the instruction tells us what we need to do...perhaps how we do it is the rest of the whole book? [Biased]

Actually, instructions for knowing God happen pretty early on in the bible [Smile]

"Be still and know that I am God" (my emphasis added) [Smile]

In order to love god we must open up to epiphany. We cant make it happen, we must allow him in. Invite him in and open the door, but not grab him by the arm and pull [Big Grin]

Ah yes, how could I forget that bible = instruction book.

I'm guessing you also believe in 2 Timothy 3:16?

Loving something which there is not just no empirical evidence for, and no convincing individual personal experience of, but also no coherent personal experiences of amongst even those who give their lives to it is near impossible.

But then, I'm guessing that loving god is pretty easy for someone who loves George Bush.

[ 02. February 2006, 16:44: Message edited by: strathclydezero ]

quote:
Loving something which there is not just no empirical evidence for, and no convincing individual personal experience of, but also no coherent personal experiences of amongst even those who give their lives to it is near impossible.

But then, I'm guessing that loving god is pretty easy for someone who loves George Bush.

I dont need evidence that I can in return show you, in order to believe in and love god. Personal experience is sufficient to the task for me and that is not transferable to you so I will not try [Biased]

Excellent. So, Jesus says I should love god. The proper christian tells me that in order to do that I have to experience 'epiphany', yet that there is no way we can experience that through choice. Therefore, either Jesus is being unreasonable in his expectations, or the writings of christianity present a strange and twisted cultish pact.

Or perhaps, just perhaps, the proper christian is wrong.

quote:
Excellent. So, Jesus says I should love god. The proper christian tells me that in order to do that I have to experience 'epiphany', yet that there is no way we can experience that through choice. Therefore, either Jesus is being unreasonable in his expectations, or the writings of christianity present a strange and twisted cultish pact.

Epiphany happens when we stop trying to do stuff....its a gift waiting for us to accept not something that happens on the whim of Jesus.

[Smile]
quote:
Epiphany happens when we stop trying to do stuff....its a gift waiting for us to accept not something that happens on the whim of Jesus.

quote:

Really - what's the difference?

quote:
[Smile]
quote:

quote:

Really - what's the difference?

I'm saying you love god when you know him, as a result of epiphany you allow to happen. You are saying perhaps that the allowing itself is "loving".

quote:
quote:

I'm not sure why it is important about what these other people think.

I mean yes -- obeying God is important but who's to say these other people who are telling what they think God's wants for you are right [Confused]

We are all fools - I mean that include everything I post [Hot and Hormonal] . I think the really smart people know how little they know... [Hot and Hormonal]

What do you think?

[ 02. February 2006, 21:17: Message edited by: Joyfulsoul ]

quote:
quote:

Heh. I so agree with you. I often want to say to those who claim they know God but are extremely judgemental and demanding that are Right™ with a Capital R, "So, if you say you know God sososo well than why you are still so f*cked up?"

But I don't say that because I'm a good little christian [Two face] . Because I've noticed that its not the loud and noisy ones who are bragging how they are just sooosososoos close to God but it is usually the most kind and patient and loving and humble that actually have a better grasp of who God is.

For goodness' sake, I think if you really catch a glimpse of who God is than you begin to realise how pathetic and pitiable your idea or knowledge of God was before. At least, that's been my experience.

quote:

Spot on.

quote:
quote:

I'm not sure why it is important about what these other people think.
Because for all I know they might be right. I mean, they seem so damn sure about it. And in the absence of any personal revelations from God, all I can do is go along with them or hope they're wrong...

[Eek!] I'm impressed.

You have more faith in what other people believe than I do.

It's just a manifestation of my own deep-rooted uncertainty. Pay it no mind [Smile]

I'm sorry, Marvin the Martian, - I really don't want to disagree with these people whose opinions who obviously very important to you. But I have to because it bugs me because it was the same stuff that was stuffed down my throat when I went to sunday school as a child and mislearned a lot about God - about his nature and his desires.

It may sound contradictary to other things I have posted, but what the hell, I'm going to say this anyways.

God doesn't want obedience.

If all God wanted was obedience he would have made us robots (no offense meant to any robots who are reading or posting on SOF) who would respond and immediately obey with, "how high?" when God says "jump."

Instead, God created synthesized us with flesh and spirit and placed an imago dei (image of God) and gave us a grand capacity for many things - such as the ability to engage with love, hope, and transformation.

He gave us choice to not merely just follow our primal animal urges (which are necessary and part of the design for biological species) but learn how to mediate our desires in our to live our lives to the fullest - for the sake of harmony and true enjoyment.

I think when I was little I was taught that God wanted us to be "good obedient children" - but that is far, far away from the reality of the nature and desire of God.

I'm going to make an anlogy because us human beings are fundamentally exist in relation to one another.

I think that God isn't just about doing all the "right" things - because if I were in a relationship and just did all the "right" things but never engaged my heart or my soul or my own desires - then that would be a pretty pathetic situation. So the heart of God is not about immediate compliant obedience but rather a little more meaningful than that.

I mean we all put each other into labels and boxes and maybe it is inevitable or maybe we can grow out of it but I think we put people into frameworks so that we can make sense of the world...but the bad thing about that is that we also often do that to God as well - as if he were some country, simple hick. I think it is easy to forget that God is f*cking uncontainable.

I think God doesn't want docile unthinking obedience - he is far too lovely for that. God's not about having robotic servants - after all he made us human beings - so maybe, instead, God wants something more than obedience - he wants our hearts.

quote:

[Confused] Really?
That God wants us to be obedient to his commands in no way negates the idea that he did not create us like robots. In fact, we were created "for obedience to Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 1:2). This does not mean that God chooses our actions and dictates our life as if programming a machine, but it does mean that he knows what's best for us. Obedience is an active choice on our part to submit to the will of God.

Wolfgang,

I'm sorry if what I wrote became unclear and confusing but I stand firmly by my whole post.

quote:
the will of God.

Lovely phrase, but totally meaningless.

quote:

I'm sorry if what I wrote became unclear and confusing but I stand firmly by my whole post.

Forgive me, but your whole post seemed...erm...to be saying two different things. I don't think I took your comment "God doesn't want obedience" out of the context in which it was written when I quoted it. And as far as I can see the comments I made on it were reasonable...i.e. a view of yours with which I disagree, having read your post in its entirity. Obviously, feel free to argue your point.

quote:
quote:
the will of God.

Hmm... It may be understood in different ways by different people, it may be subjective, it may have different implications for different people, it may not be easy to understand, it may be a cliche but meaningless it is not.

Wolfgang,

I don't mind to agree to disagree.

Often the things I write - I think are perfectly clear and make sense but then I re-read them later and realize that maybe they only make sense to me. [Hot and Hormonal]

In addition, we may have different takes on what God desires and requires, which no doubt comes in play in this topic.

However problematic/paradoxical my earlier attempt was at explaining my take on obedience- I still am in complete agreement with myself today.

I think our fundamental disagreement on what God primarily desires is perhaps unreconcilable. I'm sure we can both live with that and be happy.

Posted by Jolly Jape (# 3296) on :

quote:
Obedience is an active choice on our part to submit to the will of God.
This is one way of viewing the question of obedience. However, Paul recommends that we "work out our salvation with fear and trembling." (Phil. 2:12) This suggests, to me, that obedience is a process nearer to JoyfulSoul's
quote:
ability to engage with love, hope, and transformation.
Whether we agree or not that there is any single such thing as "the will of God" (as in something that is single, fixed from, as it were, the beginning of time, that it is "closed" rather than "open"), there is still the problem of determining what that will is. OK, in the broader sense we know some things about God's mind, but those priciples still need to be applied, and ISTM that this can only be determined in the context of relationship. Often, the conclusions we come to are little more than informed best guesses, hopefully illuminated by the Spirit, which we appropriate and make our own through faith. It's God who makes up the defecit.

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
OK, in the broader sense we know some things about God's mind

Such as?

quote:
quote:
the will of God.

No offence to anyone....but it reminds me of the crusaders battle cry of "God wills it!" [Eek!]

Posted by Jolly Jape (# 3296) on :

quote:
Such as?
Such as, those things which Jesus revealed (maybe personified?) : that He thinks we should love one another, that we are all uniquely valuable from His (that is, God's) POV, and that we are loved personally by the creator - and a few other things.

Edited to add

Maybe I wan't clear, or was too ready to result to jargon. When I wrote of "God's mind", I meant, "the things that are God's concerns vis-a-vis humanity", rather than the unsearchable mysteries of the interactions between the persons of the Trinity.

[ 06. February 2006, 13:52: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

See - I don't think that any of these are close to being universal experiences of 'God'. It's difficult to comprehend how the natural events within creation which have such dreadful consequences, so often for those people with little or no power, stem from an orchestrator God (a creator if you like). It's difficult to see where the idea of divine love comes from, if not from the idea that we all need to be loved and therefore create it for ourselves.

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
Maybe I wan't clear, or was too ready to result to jargon. When I wrote of "God's mind", I meant, "the things that are God's concerns vis-a-vis humanity", rather than the unsearchable mysteries of the interactions between the persons of the Trinity.

That much was clear. [Smile]

[ 06. February 2006, 14:01: Message edited by: strathclydezero ]

quote:
quote:

[Confused] Really?
Yes, really.

I know Freddy will heartily disagree with me, but I believe Joyful was saying that it is not what God primarily wants. She was just humble enough not to argue it with you. [Biased]

"Go and learn what this means: I desire mercy, not sacrifice."

Obey all you want and alone it won't please God. (Without faith it is impossible to please God, not obedience.)

-Digory

quote:
She was just humble enough not to argue it with you.

haha. How on earth can I practise humility when I hear things like that?

quote:

Unsure how this proves your point, Digory.

quote:
(Without faith it is impossible to please God, not obedience.)

Faith and obedience are not incompatible.

quote:
quote:

Unsure how this proves your point, Digory.
Me either. This quote is about obeying God, not about faith.

Here is the original in Hosea:
quote:
Hosea 6.4 “ O Ephraim, what shall I do to you?
O Judah, what shall I do to you?
For your faithfulness is like a morning cloud,
And like the early dew it goes away.
And your judgments are like light that goes forth.
6 For I desire mercy and not sacrifice,
And the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.
7 “ But like men they transgressed the covenant;
There they dealt treacherously with Me.
8 Gilead is a city of evildoers
And defiled with blood.
9 As bands of robbers lie in wait for a man,
So the company of priests murder on the way to Shechem;
Surely they commit lewdness.
10 I have seen a horrible thing in the house of Israel:
There is the harlotry of Ephraim;
Israel is defiled.

It seems to me the context is that Israel is being criticized for not being merciful and instead being immoral.

How about the context of Jesus' quote?
quote:
Matthew 9:12 When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

Matthew 12:6 Yet I say to you that in this place there is One greater than the temple. 7 But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8 For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Isn't Jesus here also calling on His listeners to change their behavior? He wants them to be merciful.

I'm going to go out on a limb. And if I fall, then I fall.

Obedience is good, but love is better.

--That's my interpretation of the verse, "I desire mercy not sacrifice."

But what really comes to mind is the Corinthians verse:

"if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

(1 Corinthians 13:2a-3,8, 13)

The only thing that will remain isn't going to be what we did or how much faith we had in an invisible, intangible, silent deity or how smart and spiritual we are, the only thing that will matter in the end is how much love we have in our hearts.

I think it pleases God when we attempt to live in harmony with one another, but I think it is even more precious to God when we give him our hearts.

I hope this is not too far out in left field.

Freddy, what is your understanding on God's desire for our love vs. acts of faith?

quote:
Freddy, what is your understanding on God's desire for our love vs. acts of faith?

I agree with you completely. The point is to have love. Love is the important thing. Everything happens according to the presence or absence of love.

The big "but", however, is that love doesn't just happen, nor is it random. It flows in from God when the conditions are right for its reception. These conditions have to do with beliefs, acts, ideas, choices, time, and other factors. In some ways these are determined by love, and in other ways they affect and shape what we love.

In the end, I think that love only happens in freedom, because freedom and love are very closely connected to each other. So free choice is the ultimate factor. Not that a person always feels free to love or not love, or that they have chosen what they love. Rather, that people only feel free when they can act on what they love, and that when they feel free they will act on their love.

quote:

"if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing."

So clearly those of us that have not love may as well do what we damn well like, coz no amount of trying to please God is going to cut it. That's what that verse says to me...

quote:
So clearly those of us that have not love may as well do what we damn well like, coz no amount of trying to please God is going to cut it. That's what that verse says to me...

So are we thinking that having love is an all-or-nothing proposition? Can't you have just a little love, or more love?

And can't the amount that we have change over time? Can't love grow and develop?

It seems to me that these possibilities are some of the cornerstone assumptions of Christianity.

quote:
quote:

"if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing."

you can do whatever the hell you want, Marvin the Martian. But I don't know if that will really make you happy. If you try it, let me know how it works. It didn't make me happy. Maybe you're different.

this is something I'm trying to understand that recently hit me like a stone or something.

i think we (the human race, whatever, blah, blah) are all into the business of trying to sell each other stuff. I know end up doing that sometimes because I'm shallow.

I think some time last week, it suddenly dawned on me that maybe God likes the human race. i would have never have guessed it because of a lot things.

another thing that surprises me is about God liking us - well, at first I thought that God wants me to please him and so I wanted to be good so that God would be happy with me. But this is very frustrating because I constantly f*ck up and then I'm OMG God probably hates me now because I'm such a loser and failure. But now I'm starting to see that God doesn't really give a sh*t about my sh*t and this is very comforting.

and then I realized that God isn't trying to sell me anything at all. In fact, he justs wants me to be me and to be happy whatever the hell that means.

And about not having much love -- I think you underestimate yourself a lot. I still remember a post you wrote awhile back about being concerned about others. I'm sure God knows you much better than a random person on SOF. on the plus side, you can always ask him for more love.

© Ship of Fools 2016