Thread: Purgatory: Failing our Muslim Sisters in the name of Multiculturalism Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001012

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

This story in the New York Times, The New Berlin Wall (not sure how long it's available for free) describes how the work of three women muslim dissidents have exposed the parallel society that has grown up in Germany among Muslim communities in Berlin, in which girls are very frequently forced into marriage pre-minority, girls are imported from Turkey and elsewhere to be pressed into forced marriages, and the official permission to have Islamic-approved instruction (in state schools) has fueled a rise in honor killings for dissident women, and full veiling and early school dropout and marriage for girls. In "tolerating" all of these things, Germany, and any western country that permits this parallel society to be protected in these activities (I'm especially struck by the state schools being used as vehicles of shari'a) we are failing the girls and women growing up among us. These girls and woman are being denied those freedoms to which we are all entitled.

No multicultural tolerance can excuse it.

quote:
But the books of the three Muslim dissidents now tell us what Germans like me didn't care to know. What they report seems almost unbelievable. They describe an everyday life of oppression, isolation, imprisonment and brutal corporal punishment for Muslim women and girls in Germany, a situation for which there is only one word: slavery.

Seyran Ates estimates that perhaps half of young Turkish women living in Germany are forced into marriage every year. In the wake of these forced marriages often come violence and rape; the bride has no choice but to fulfill the duties of the marriage arranged by her parents and her in-laws. One side-effect of forced marriage is the psychological violation of the men involved. Although they are the presumed beneficiaries of this custom, men are likewise forbidden to marry whom they want. A groom who chooses his own wife faces threats, too. In such cases, according to Seyran Ates and Serap Cileli, the groom as well as the bride must go underground to escape the families' revenge.

Heavily veiled women wearing long coats even in summer are becoming an increasingly familiar sight in German Muslim neighborhoods. According to Necla Kelek's research, they are mostly under-age girls who have been bought - often for a handsome payment - in the Turkish heartland villages of Anatolia by mothers whose sons in Germany are ready to marry. The girls are then flown to Germany, and "with every new imported bride," Kelek says, "the parallel society grows." Meanwhile, Ates summarizes, "Turkish men who wish to marry and live by Shariah can do so with far less impediment in Berlin than in Istanbul."

and it isn't just economics driving this:

quote:
Many sociologists attribute the growth of a Muslim parallel society to the discouraging social circumstances of the third Muslim generation of immigrants - high unemployment, high dropout or failure rates in public schools. But this explanation is incomplete, to say the least. It turns out that the Muslim middle class has long been following the same trend. Rental agencies that procure and prepare rooms for traditional Turkish weddings and circumcisions are among the most booming businesses in Kreuzberg and Neukölln.

And about how the authorities are actually paying for girls and boys to be taught this stuff:

quote:
This conservative, fearful trend is likely to guide the next generation. For more than 20 years the Islamic Federation of Berlin, an umbrella organization of Islamic associations and mosque congregations, has struggled in the Berlin courts to secure Islamic religious instruction in local schools. In 2001 the federation finally succeeded. Since then, several thousand Muslim elementary-school students have been taught by teachers hired by the Islamic Federation and paid by the city of Berlin. City officials aren't in a position to control Islamic religious instruction. Often the teaching does not correspond to the lesson plan that was submitted in German. Citing the linguistic deficiencies of the students, instructors frequently hold lessons in Turkish or Arabic, often behind closed doors.

Since the introduction of Islamic religious instruction, the number of girls that come to school in head scarves has grown by leaps and bounds, and school offices are inundated with petitions to excuse girls from swimming and sports as well as class outings.

So what in the name of &*( are we to do about this? How can we prevent the honor killings? How can we keep women out of this sort of slavery and prevent the importation of girls for marriage/slavery?

[ 14. February 2006, 03:44: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

Posted by sharkshooter (# 1589) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:

It is multicultural tolerance that allows it.

Posted by Littlelady (# 9616) on :

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:

Of course, we had our own story connected to forced marriages just recently. I wonder how many other such incidents have been avoided because the woman submitted to the will of her family? I find these situations deeply disturbing. But other than when the law is broken, in a free, multicultural society, what can be done?

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:

Gee, I thought I'd made that clear enough from the excerpts from the story and that this was the central point of my OP.

quote:
Originally posted by Littlelady:
I find these situations deeply disturbing. But other than when the law is broken, in a free, multicultural society, what can be done?

Well, for starters, not to pay state money to Islamic teachers to teach little girls that thi is the way they must live? To sharply inquire into the reasons for immigration for teenage girls from the affected countries?

quote:
quote:
I find these situations deeply disturbing. But other than when the law is broken, in a free, multicultural society, what can be done?

Well, for starters, not to pay state money to Islamic teachers to teach little girls that thi is the way they must live? To sharply inquire into the reasons for immigration for teenage girls from the affected countries?
Instinctively, I agree with you.

I then see two problems straight away. Firstly, I can hear the cries echoing back of intolerance, interference, racism, picking on Muslims, etc (which I am not saying is what is being suggested, just that many would interpret such moves in this way). Secondly, where would it stop? No law is being broken. Teachers are allowed to teach faith issues to members of their flock, much as a Christian teacher may teach no sex before marriage to a teenage Christian girl. There might not be universal agreement with either teaching, but does that mean it should be banned? As for questions about immigration ... people can just lie about their intentions. How can their lie be revealed?

quote:
Firstly, I can hear the cries echoing back of intolerance, interference, racism, picking on Muslims, etc (which I am not saying is what is being suggested, just that many would interpret such moves in this way).

I just think we need to get over that.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

[Political incorrectness alert]

Speaking from an American perspective: Our country is, or at least used to be, a country where citizenship was based on acceptance of a shared vision of rights/freedoms/responsibilities. Persons emigrating to the United States used to have to make an effort to indicate that they were willing to "get with the program" insofar as embracing the values of our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Why would Islamists want to live in a western society whose values they despise? If people don't like the concepts of secular government, gender equity, etc., etc. -- then for pete's sake don't live here. I hear Iran is lovely in the spring. [Snigger] If they're so freaking religious, taking a cut in income in order to live among others of the One True Faith would be, I think, a small price to pay for their integrity.

I think Germany's situation is complicated by residual shame about the Nazi times, and the tendency of some groups to exploit that by crying "Racism!" if the German authorities try to enforce the law evenly.

In many cases, people are able to be more repressive in Western countries than in their home countries, such as Saudi Arabia. A number of majority Islamic countries have no problem repressing what they perceive as dangerous sects. It is we who have that problem. Someone in the article was asked why they stay in germany, to be surrounded by people they hate; she said, they don't need the Germans, they have everything they need AND they get work and the advantage of the health care system etcetera AND can practice their oppression freely! What a deal!

quote:
Teachers are allowed to teach faith issues to members of their flock, much as a Christian teacher may teach no sex before marriage to a teenage Christian girl. There might not be universal agreement with either teaching, but does that mean it should be banned? As for questions about immigration ... people can just lie about their intentions. How can their lie be revealed?

Teachers are not allowed to teach religious ethics in state schools in the US. You can do that in your church, of course. I suggest that state money should not be spent to pay Islamicist teachers to teach girls that they are second class citizens. This is inimical to the values we hold dear.

quote:
quote:
Teachers are allowed to teach faith issues to members of their flock, much as a Christian teacher may teach no sex before marriage to a teenage Christian girl. There might not be universal agreement with either teaching, but does that mean it should be banned? As for questions about immigration ... people can just lie about their intentions. How can their lie be revealed?

Teachers are not allowed to teach religious ethics in state schools in the US. You can do that in your church, of course. I suggest that state money should not be spent to pay Islamicist teachers to teach girls that they are second class citizens. This is inimical to the values we hold dear.
Sorry, I forgot about the church/state divide in the States (very good idea, imo - saves a lot of hassle in the education system for instance). Here in the UK, of course, Muslim schools do attract state funding, as do Christian and Jewish schools. To withdraw state funding only from Muslim schools who taught those aspects of Islamic doctrine such as forced marriage would be unlikely to wash politically here.

British culture tends towards pragmatism as I'm sure you already know. So within that environment, and given that we don't have a church/state divide while also attempting to adopt a multicultural (as opposed to integrationist or assimilationist) approach to society, we are in a bit of a hole insofar as the OP is concerned.

I can't speak for German culture as having a single German friend doesn't really count as having a good understanding of German culture.

While I can be as pragmatic as the next Brit, sometimes I find it problematic. I find myself wishing we'd be a bit more American in the field of Getting Stuff Done.

Here's something of a parallel situation, though, in the States: In the West, in remote parts of Utah, Nevada, etc., there are breakaway polygamous sects of the Latter-Day Saints who've founded their own communities -- their local governments, law enforcement agencies, schools, etc. are all run by people in these sects. Their polygamous practices include child marriage, forced marriages, and a lot of other weird goings-on. (They've recently made news by expelling scores of teenage boys to fend for themselves in the outside world -- evidently there aren't enough women to go around in these communities, and the older men want 'em all for themselves; honestly, it's like "Nature" with bipeds.) They're also heavily armed people with a persecution complex and a history of blood spillage -- always a dangerous combination. Anyhow, state/county governments have been loathe to prosecute these people for their lawbreaking, for a variety of logistical reasons. But incidents like the "lost boys," and the occasional runaway pubescent bride whose tales of rapacious old harem-masters and abused girls and women back at the ranch create public sensations, have in many cases shamed authorities into taking action against the polygamists.

Perhaps what the girls and women of Germany need is an all-out media campaign by Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, et al, to shame the authorities there into enforcing equal protection, and to spur legislators into toughening up protections for women in vulnerable populations.

Posted by Cod (# 2643) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
[Political incorrectness alert]

Speaking from an American perspective: Our country is, or at least used to be, a country where citizenship was based on acceptance of a shared vision of rights/freedoms/responsibilities. Persons emigrating to the United States used to have to make an effort to indicate that they were willing to "get with the program" insofar as embracing the values of our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Why would Islamists want to live in a western society whose values they despise? If people don't like the concepts of secular government, gender equity, etc., etc. -- then for pete's sake don't live here. I hear Iran is lovely in the spring. [Snigger] If they're so freaking religious, taking a cut in income in order to live among others of the One True Faith would be, I think, a small price to pay for their integrity.

I totally agree with Laura. But what complicates matters; and this is something that frequently seems to be missed by those from outside Europe is that most of the people involved aren't immigrants.

So it is no good simply quoting "When in Rome, do as the Romans do", because most of the people involved - except obviously the imported brides -are Romans, so to speak. They are not to be obliged to leave simply because their views do not accord with the majority.

Just as in Britain, this Islamism is to a considerable degree home-grown.

Posted by Mrs Tea (# 10570) on :

quote:
... Here in the UK, of course, Muslim schools do attract state funding, as do Christian and Jewish schools. To withdraw state funding only from Muslim schools who taught those aspects of Islamic doctrine such as forced marriage would be unlikely to wash politically here.

British culture tends towards pragmatism as I'm sure you already know. So within that environment, and given that we don't have a church/state divide while also attempting to adopt a multicultural (as opposed to integrationist or assimilationist) approach to society, we are in a bit of a hole insofar as the OP is concerned. ...

And given that around 30% of state primary schools are 'church schools' (which is a weird compromise between 'Christian schools' and secular ones), simply trying to take religion out of state schooling in the UK is next to impossible, even if desireable. It's too big.

It's my understanding, though, that all state-funded Muslim schools (there aren't very many) are inspected by members of Her Majesty's Inspectorate who are able to speak the relevant languages, and HMI does sometimes say things that aren't entirely PC about how well religious schools of various flavours teach 'citizenship' (eg here) and related issues. And of course immediately gets accused of Islamophobia. I hope this means we're not doing as badly as in Germany, but I can't promise it.

Headscarves seem to be a significantly contentious issue (eg here) but it often seems to be the wrong issue to make a fuss about. Wearing or not wearing a headscarf isn't going to kill anyone. Marrying against a parent's wishes just might.

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Tea:
It's my understanding, though, that all state-funded Muslim schools (there aren't very many) are inspected by members of Her Majesty's Inspectorate who are able to speak the relevant languages, and HMI does sometimes say things that aren't entirely PC about how well religious schools of various flavours teach 'citizenship' (eg here) and related issues. And of course immediately gets accused of Islamophobia. I hope this means we're not doing as badly as in Germany, but I can't promise it.

Yes, all state schools are subject to periodic inspection. So far as I know, private schools are not (I'm not sure whether they have to even teach the national curriculum - at one time they didn't; but that might have changed).

quote:
Headscarves seem to be a significantly contentious issue (eg here) but it often seems to be the wrong issue to make a fuss about. Wearing or not wearing a headscarf isn't going to kill anyone. Marrying against a parent's wishes just might.
This is interesting. It seems that the headscarf has become symobolic of fundamentalism. I see women in headscarves and full burkha (sp?) on a daily basis, living in Sheffield. I have no objection to headscarves, but I confess to finding the burkha offensive - it smacks of oppression to me. But them I am looking through Western, non-Muslim eyes, so probably that's no surprise. I wouldn't want any woman to stop wearing it if she wanted to wear it. But I would hate it to be a true reflection of the oppression it represents to me.

Posted by Demas (# 24) on :

Laying this obviously difficult situation at the feet of multiculturalism is a bit extreme; it doesn't take into consideration the particularities of Germany - particularities such as years of sub-citizen Gestarbeiter status and heavy unemployment and alienation in the East, fueling resurgent racism. All these things encourage a minority culture to look within itself for identity and support; looking to traditional values and power structures.

Part of the problem here is that these people are not, and will never really be allowed to be, 'German'.

There may be official tolerance of 'foreign cultures', but there is not 'multiculturalism' in Germany in the same sense as would be understood in, say, Australia.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

Slightly over a year ago the Dutch film-maker Theo van Gogh was murdered on the streets of Amsterdam in broad daylight. His killer was a Muslim who was deeply offended by a film van Gogh had made.

The film dealt with the way women are treated in European Muslim communities. His source of information was a Muslim woman who had written a book on the subject.

There appear to be a substantial number of Muslim men in Europe who believe Allah has given them the right to treat women as they please. People who try to interfere with this right deserve to have very bad things happen to them.

Moo

Posted by ananke (# 10059) on :

quote:
This is interesting. It seems that the headscarf has become symobolic of fundamentalism. I see women in headscarves and full burkha (sp?) on a daily basis, living in Sheffield. I have no objection to headscarves, but I confess to finding the burkha offensive - it smacks of oppression to me. But them I am looking through Western, non-Muslim eyes, so probably that's no surprise. I wouldn't want any woman to stop wearing it if she wanted to wear it. But I would hate it to be a true reflection of the oppression it represents to me.

I find that attitude (headscarves as a representation of oppression) really just adds to the oppression itself. It's the girls that get killed for wearing a headscarf/not wearing a headscraf, not those making the proclamations. In Oz we're currently having several Ministers of Education (State and Federal and Shadow) calling for headscarves to be banned in schools. Which is utterly horrifying for me.

Why?

Because it makes the bodies of those girls our property instead of whoever they think it is now. It still takes any sense of self-determinism away from the girls and says, yet again, you have no choice. I work in a fairly multi-cultural area and the school has approved uniforms for Muslim and Sikh kids (headscarves, longsleeved alternatives, turbans etc.). None of that affects their education, none of it affects OUR faith. Yet people get so utterly offended when one group of women decide to not adopt the dress of their new nation. They adapt sure (i.e. very few women wear the burka in Australia, lots wear headscarves and long sleeves in very light airy material) but what on Earth is so bloody threatening about keeping their culture and faith?

quote:
Originally posted by Demas:

Part of the problem here is that these people are not, and will never really be allowed to be, 'German'.

There may be official tolerance of 'foreign cultures', but there is not 'multiculturalism' in Germany in the same sense as would be understood in, say, Australia.

[Confused] I would have thought that, for example, state funding of Islamic education, and/or instruction in Arabic or Turkish was rather strong evidence to the contrary.

Posted by Demas (# 24) on :

Not really - multiculturalism cannot be mere toleration of a minority by the elite of the normative majority; it must be embraced by a substantial part of the population.

It is a question of what defines a 'German'. To a large extent Germany is the state of the Germans; rather than a German being defined as a citizen of Germany. An ethnic German is simply more 'German' than a Turkish German.

Any official tolerance by the German state of the Turkish immigrants is at the recent end of a long postwar history of exclusion and rejection by mainstream German society and authority.

Posted by Louise (# 30) on :

The inspectorate in Scotland have had to deal with private Muslim schools which were totally sub-standard, with the poor senior girls at one Dundee boarding school being taught nothing but sewing, cookery and arabic, as it turned out. Our idiot education minister, Peter Peacock, reprieved the school because it got a super-duper new headmistress and he says that's improved it enough. He should have shut the damn thing as a message that we are not going to tolerate women being given a sub-standard education designed to stunt them for religious reasons.

The problem is that in Scotland, though we haven't had the same level of Tony Blair's faith school wheeze, we have, for historical reasons a separate Catholic education system, and therefore some Muslim community leaders are claiming discrimination because they're not getting their own school system as well. The difference is though, that the Catholic Schools have moved on from the pre-Vatican two horror stories older friends of mine used to recount, and apart from the occasional ineffectual attempts on the part of the Bishops to ban gay teachers, they don't have negative human rights implications. The Bishops are kept far enough away from day-to-day school running that the hardliners can't do too much damage.

My fear is that the sections of the Muslim community who really want these schools are likely to be too conservative to implement them in a way which would not be damaging to women. In fact I suspect that one of the main reasons many of the activists want them is so that they can teach women to learn quietly and in full submission, just as a certain Apostle suggested. We've fought the fight to overcome that kind of thinking, the last thing we should do is sit back and watch Muslim women being forced into that, let alone pay our taxes for it to happen in the public sector.

L.

quote:
Originally posted by ananke:
They adapt sure (i.e. very few women wear the burka in Australia, lots wear headscarves and long sleeves in very light airy material) but what on Earth is so bloody threatening about keeping their culture and faith?

Ananke - your guess is as good as mine. I have no idea. As I've confessed, I find the burkha oppressive, but I'm western so it's likely I would. But I wouldn't like to see the wearing of it banned - within education or elsewhere - if the women/girls are happy and/or proud to wear it themselves. The imposition of one cultural view upon another is lost on me.

Both headscarves and the burkha are quite familiar sights in the UK, in certain areas of the country anyway.

quote:
Because it makes the bodies of those girls our property instead of whoever they think it is now. It still takes any sense of self-determinism away from the girls and says, yet again, you have no choice. I work in a fairly multi-cultural area and the school has approved uniforms for Muslim and Sikh kids (headscarves, longsleeved alternatives, turbans etc.).
If you object to taking the choices away from the kids then why have any sort of school uniform at all? That's circumscribing people's choice. If you're going to have a uniform then you need to think about what boundaries are acceptable and what values you are trying to communicate.

quote:
None of that affects their education, none of it affects OUR faith. Yet people get so utterly offended when one group of women decide to not adopt the dress of their new nation. They adapt sure (i.e. very few women wear the burka in Australia, lots wear headscarves and long sleeves in very light airy material) but what on Earth is so bloody threatening about keeping their culture and faith?
Because it's not just about a natty fashion choice, it's an external sign of a behaviour code which once you get onto things that go beyond the hijab, like the niqab and burqah is a behaviour code for women which should not be accepted for women in schools and which will very probably affect their education. You wouldn't accept wee Kylie turning up dressed as a lap-dancer in nothing but three-inch stilletoes and a thong, because of what that says about the exploitation of women, so why should you accept wee Aisha wearing a niqab or burqah which marks her out as the property of the men of her family, (her father and then later her husband) and as someone who shouldn't even be talking to men who are not her male relatives and as someone whose body is so dangerous, it must be covered up? More about the attitudes which go with these extreme dress codes here - The Big Cover Up

I think it's fair to think of the hijab (headscarf) as something - which as long as girls are not forced into it - is not that much different from a yarmulka, a sign of religious identity, but once it gets into girls being forced to shroud themselves as they are not to be looked upon by any male outside of their family, even to the point of covering their faces, then you're in the realms of people being treated like property.

Fine, when they've left school and grown up, then they're entitled to exercise their rights and go around swathed in a burqah, just as if a consenting woman wants to dress up in a dog collar and leash to be held by her male master, she's entitled to do it, if that's what she finds empowering, but in public schools I would suggest that both extremes should be avoided as I don't want to see public schools teaching women to be submissive to men.

L.

[ 04. December 2005, 23:36: Message edited by: Louise ]

quote:
But I wouldn't like to see the wearing of it banned - within education or elsewhere - if the women/girls are happy and/or proud to wear it themselves.
In conservative communities we really don't know if the women/girls are happy/proud to wear Islamic dress, because they're not allowed to have a public opinion; and I suspect that if they did manage to express themselves in a way contrary to the community hive mind, they'd be disciplined severely -- perhaps beaten, or put under what amounts to house arrest, or maybe even killed by male relatives for offending the honor of the family.

I think one of the weaknesses of the Western p.o.v. is that we assume that all other cultures place the same value on, or even have a concept of, the idea of individual choice...we look at women in burkhas and say, "Well, it's their choice," assuming that they have the same opportunity to get up in the morning and think, "Hmmm...what shall I wear today?" That isn't how it works.

BTW -- good observation, several posts back, about the Gastarbeiter factor in this problem. The German government pretty much brought this problem upon themselves by essentially creating a subclass of resident aliens, not attempting to assimilate them into the wider culture, but also not making much of an attempt to make their stays in their country as temporary as the term "guest" might imply. (An idea that The Idiot Bush is trying to implement in the States, BTW.)

Posted by the_raptor (# 10533) on :

quote:
quote:

Well, for starters, not to pay state money to Islamic teachers to teach little girls that thi is the way they must live?
How is that massively different from giving state money to "Christian" teachers to teach little girls that they must submit to their husbands, or to teach boys that "fags are evil" and "evolution is a lie"?

quote:
In conservative communities we really don't know if the women/girls are happy/proud to wear Islamic dress, because they're not allowed to have a public opinion; and I suspect that if they did manage to express themselves in a way contrary to the community hive mind, they'd be disciplined severely -- perhaps beaten, or put under what amounts to house arrest, or maybe even killed by male relatives for offending the honor of the family.

Right, and fifty years ago western society had no problem with people that broke community dress codes. [Roll Eyes]

Or that this very day some white middle class christian family is probably disowning one of their children for refusing to submit to "common standards of decency"? And "house arrest"? Do you mean by any chance mean "grounded"? Which happens to most teenagers when they do something their parents don't approve of.

[code]

[ 05. December 2005, 15:25: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posted by whitelaughter (# 10611) on :

quote:
Originally posted by the_raptor:
quote:
Well, for starters, not to pay state money to Islamic teachers to teach little girls that thi is the way they must live?

How is that massively different from giving state money to "Christian" teachers to teach little girls that they must submit to their husbands, or to teach boys that "fags are evil" and "evolution is a lie"?
It's not - so can both be cleaned up at the same time?
Linking funding to external examinations seems the obvious move to me. If 'citizenship'is in the exams then the schools have to teach students their basic rights and responsibilities or lose their funding. Not perfect, but it would be a start - and perfect for dealing with creationism.

[code]

[ 05. December 2005, 15:24: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

Multiculturalism is one of these terms (eg., Christianity, socialism, decency, democracy) which needs to get defined, otherwise we end up with a room of people using the same word, and ascribing entirely different meanings to it. For Multiculturalism, I had always assumed that it was an integrationist, as opposed to assimilationist policy--Littleday, for one, appears to equate the two.

In the Canadian context, we've never had a unicultural situation-- it's always been, at a minumum, bicultural (historical tangent-- it was the Germans and Ukrainians who advocated the Multiculturalism policy). Multiculturalism was simply a word to describe our situation and try to manage it. I had always assumed, and (progressive) Muslim women such as we find with Irshad Manji or the Canadian Council of Muslim Women seem to be in accord, that it meant working within a common set of values. If you plough through the material which is prepared for citizenship classes here (and, aside from senior citizen applicants who can apply for exemption, everyone has to sit the exam to get their papers), equality of rights and opportunity for women is one of the points made at length.

I will note that in Oz, they are even clearer (blunter?) about adherence to common Australian values, and I think that's not a bad thing to emulate.

The article, which I've just finished reading, makes the very good point that the Germans pretended that they did not have immigrants and, for over 30 years, and had no real immigrant integration or citizenship programming. Moreover, like most European countries, they placed real barriers to citizenship (language exams at a high academic level, rather than a functional one) and extensive waiting periods (I think that it's 10 years or more). Canada and Oz, and to a lesser degree (cf. Will Kymlicka's book on this), pushed citizenship classes on immigrants. In both countries, funding went to integration programming designed jointly by community groups and the Government.

Another factor, which the article didn't go into, was that Germany encouraged the arrival of less-educated farmers, where Canada and Oz have encouraged professional immigrants (and then didn't recognize their credentials, so we have engineers etc driving cabs, but that's another thread).

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

I agree, "Multiculturalism" screams for a defintion.

I always become angry on reading this kind of thread; because to me, multicultaralism describes the situation of having different cultures within a society. So I read this kind of thread as attacking the presence of another culture, using a particular atrocity or failing of that culture as ammunition.

I'm 100% sure that that's not what is meant here. But to me, and many of us, for whom multiculturalism is something of a rallying call, that's how it reads.

I'm presuming that multiculturalism here carries the idea of tolerating murder and oppression.

I would be desperate either for a clear definition of the word as used here, or a preferably a different word completely to be attacked.

As I say, I realise that's not the intent.... and I really don't want anyone here to think I'm throwing around accusations of racism, that's not the point. I'm just trying to be open about the reaction this kind of thread generates in me.... and I think I speak for others.

quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
If you object to taking the choices away from the kids then why have any sort of school uniform at all? That's circumscribing people's choice. If you're going to have a uniform then you need to think about what boundaries are acceptable and what values you are trying to communicate.

Because it's not just about a natty fashion choice, it's an external sign of a behaviour code which once you get onto things that go beyond the hijab, like the niqab and burqah is a behaviour code for women which should not be accepted for women in schools and which will very probably affect their education. You wouldn't accept wee Kylie turning up dressed as a lap-dancer in nothing but three-inch stilletoes and a thong, because of what that says about the exploitation of women, so why should you accept wee Aisha wearing a niqab or burqah which marks her out as the property of the men of her family, (her father and then later her husband) and as someone who shouldn't even be talking to men who are not her male relatives and as someone whose body is so dangerous, it must be covered up?

School uniforms: I wore one, always did. Would have loved an option which didn't include either cleavage baring formal top or arse-baring sport skirt. Or admin which didn't put me in detention for wearing what was most comfortable for an overly endowed teenage girl. I object to a lack of choice - If I went to the school I work at I would probably adopt the Muslim versions of the uniform - long sleeves and higher necklines.

As for the Kylie and Aisha comparison, there's a slight difference. Unless Kylie is worshipping Isis in a direct way, that doesn't even in the slightest compare to Aisha in a headscarf.

This discussion (for me) is deeply coloured by the fact I know quite well several girls who wear headscarves and varying degrees of modest clothing. I've considered taking on the headscarf myself. The girls, here in Australia, that I know have made a choice, a very deliberate and thoughtful choice to wear the headscarf. They have thought about it in the context of their faith, their culture and the surrounding society.

To say "I'm sorry, your religious faith doesn't mirror mine, you must expose yourself for my 'comfort'" is utterly horrifyiing for me. Not as horrifying as the situations where girls and women are forced into it, but damn close. But then again, my focus is on the men who perpetrate this bullshit rather than the women who are forced to submit to it.

If a woman wear the headscarf, fine. If a woman wears a burquah, fine. If a man says she must, or another woman says she must, not fine. If a government says she can't, not fine.

There are many different reasons for wearing headscarves etc. Not all of them are propietary and gendered.

Posted by Father Gregory (# 310) on :

Why is it that when the OP focusses on child abuse, segregation, and womens' rights the thread degenerates into the hijab issue? [Mad] How are we going to deal with this unless we face it?

I've got no trouble with the headscarf but I draw the line at schoolgirls having their schooling blighted by niqabs and burqahs. These are mandated by minority opinions in Islam which follow a stricter interpretation of sharia which tends to carry with it a lot of disadvantages for women. I think the danger is that people don't realise the religious baggage which can come with women accepting these kinds of veiling.

[edited to add - it's that kind of baggage which brings in the kind of thing which is noticed in the OP]

It makes no difference to me whether degrading dress is mandated by religion or forced upon someone by social circumstances or peer or parental pressure. Religion is not an excuse for teaching girls to accept lives of submission, that this is done in the name of religion, in my opinion, makes it worse because these people are saying God demands these sinister sacrifices of a woman's identity and independence.

The only reason we're not in the same position of being damned if we show an ankle and pushed back into the home is because generations of men and women have fought the ideal of female submission put forward in the bible. Now some of us accept young women in our society being inducted into that sort of oppression in the name of tolerating religious beliefs, which if we had tolerated them for ourselves would have condemned us to an utterly unjust society. What happens when British men and women brought up to think female submission is OK and just part of their culture start voting to reverse the freedoms that you and I have? Schools funded by public money should not be re-inforcing this by tolerating institutionalised religious oppression of women and its outward insignia. I don't think it should even be tolerated in private schools - no more than we tolerate female circumcision.

L.

[ 05. December 2005, 10:46: Message edited by: Louise ]

quote:
The only reason we're not in the same position of being damned if we show an ankle and pushed back into the home is because generations of men and women have fought the ideal of female submission put forward in the bible. Now some of us accept young women in our society being inducted into that sort of oppression in the name of tolerating religious beliefs, which if we had tolerated them for ourselves would have condemned us to an utterly unjust society.

What you mean like how a man can expose his nipples and it goes by without notice, but if a woman does she will end up arrested for indcency? How about mothers getting arrested for breast feeding in public? Or if you exposed your gentials to another persons child you would end up charged for child molestation?

Why is that oppression acceptable but wearing a viel and modest dress some great travesty of human rights? Why don't you run around with no clothes on? By going around clothed you are only submitting to dress codes mandated "by social circumstances or peer or parental pressure." You are part of that oppression. You are "teaching girls to accept lives of submission".

quote:
Religion is not an excuse for teaching girls to accept lives of submission, that this is done in the name of religion, in my opinion, makes it worse because these people are saying God demands these sinister sacrifices of a woman's identity and independence.

I would agree that religion shouldn't be an excuse to teach girls to live in submission. However, it is an excuse, which is alive and well within certain expressions of Christianity in the UK (and elsewhere I'm sure) as well as Islam. I think the difficulty arises between two conflicting ideals: respect for another faith (whichever that might be) when aspects of that faith disagree with our own view, and knowing the point at which that faith (whichever it might be) crosses the line into encouraging an abusive situation. But where is the line? Personally I consider forcing anyone into doing something they do not want to do to be abusive. However, how do I go about proving force, rather than a cultural assumption (however unpleasant it might be to me)? Assuming I can prove force, what do I then do about it? And what ramifications does acting upon such a situation have for respecting other faiths within a multicultural society?

quote:
What happens when British men and women brought up to think female submission is OK and just part of their culture start voting to reverse the freedoms that you and I have?
How do we know this doesn't go on already? I've met a number of men and women who consider female submission the way to go. Friends of mine who a few years ago returned to Australia with YWAM are a case in point. My friend submits to her husband in all things and believes this is what is expected of her as a Christian. I've had many an, um, interesting conversation with her and her hubby, but at the end of the day, it's her choice. And so long as I'm not forced to follow in her footsteps, what can be done?

However, she isn't being physically restrained or physically threatened, which is possibly the key point. But that isn't unique to faith, of course. There are abusive relationships everywhere.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:

Than get rid of school uniforms. Their only purpose was to reinforce the old heirarchical system in the Prussian military school system that incvented them They should never have been imported into our schools and ought to be chucked out at once.

quote:
Originally posted by Father Gregory:
Why is it that when the OP focusses on child abuse, segregation, and womens' rights the thread degenerates into the hijab issue?

Because that is the most visible expression of Arab & Muslim oppression of women.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Than get rid of school uniforms. Their only purpose was to reinforce the old heirarchical system in the Prussian military school system that incvented them They should never have been imported into our schools and ought to be chucked out at once.

[tangent]
School uniforms spared my parents from being shown to be poor when I was at school. They may have started out as elitist, but quite often school uniforms now have the opposite effect - they offer a (kind of) level playing field and allow poorer kids some self-respect in the sometimes ferocious world of the school yard.
[/tangent]

quote:

Bugger off. If they got rid of school uniforms then clueless geeks like me would have no way to semi-mask our ineptitude during those tender school years.

I was a rebel man, I wore a non-regulation belt. And some days I used to wear my socks *down*.

The Raptor writes:
quote:
Do you mean by any chance mean "grounded"? Which happens to most teenagers when they do something their parents don't approve of.

No; I mean being locked in one's room , sometimes for years . I read about a Saudi girl who, while a teen in boarding school in Switzerland, came out as a lesbian, was promptly hauled home, subjected to medieval "therapy" and locked in her room, with just a hole cut in the door to pass meals in and pass her toilet pail out. At the time the book had been written, the now-woman had been imprisoned for over a decade.

You seem not to take the subject of women's oppression too seriously, Raptor. Any particular reason for that? Are you just playing devil's advocate, or do you seriously believe that women in fundamentalist Islamic homes enjoy anything resembling the Western concept of "choice" in anything they do? You think it's all just like "Father Knows Best"* but in Islamic costume?

*Beloved American sitcom of the 1950's, with loveable, befuddled Dad, indulgent Mother in pearls and a swing skirt with an apron, happy-go-lucky kids...where everyone knew their place, and everything was beautiful all the time.

quote:
If they got rid of school uniforms then clueless geeks like me would have no way to semi-mask our ineptitude during those tender school years.

Rubbish. Every school has its own real codes of dress, often unknown to the teachers, which the "in" groups of students use to distinguish themselves from the "out" groups. The tighter the school rules the more minuscule the differences in the way you wear the uniform - but they still exist. Our cluless ineptitude was completely unmasked and the bastards were laughing at us all along.

quote:
You seem not to take the subject of women's oppression too seriously, Raptor. Any particular reason for that? Are you just playing devil's advocate, or do you seriously believe that women in fundamentalist Islamic homes enjoy anything resembling the Western concept of "choice" in anything they do? You think it's all just like "Father Knows Best"* but in Islamic costume?

Mea culpa. I just enjoy playing devil's advocate.

Many people in this thread seem to be suffering from specks and beams syndrome. And that annoys me. People harp on about all the freedom we enjoy in western society, but in reality it is very restraining unless you want to be an outcast.

Locking women up for disobeying their family is no longer acceptable in western society, but there are still many coercieve (and destructive) methods employed to enforce the will of the family.

I'd also like to add that our own cultures' human rights lapses of the past are not a reason not to advocate on behalf of others' human rights now: "Oh, we don't have any right to talk about human rights after what we did to [insert various examples of past colonial oppression, past gender inequity, etc.]..." What bullshit.

On the other hand, reflecting on that might prompt a note of humility in the approach.

Posted by Russ (# 120) on :

quote:
I think the danger is that people don't realise the religious baggage which can come with women accepting these kinds of veiling.

[edited to add - it's that kind of baggage which brings in the kind of thing which is noticed in the OP]

I'd suggest that there is no cause-and-effect relationship which starts with wearing ethnic costume in school and leads directly to forced marriage.

I'm very willing to believe that there is a connection. That those whose belief system includes forced marriage are more likely to want their daughters to wear ethnic costume. Makes perfect sense.

But note which way causality runs here.

By focussing too much on the costume you seem to be supporting the sort of brainless knee-jerk reaction which seeks to ban the effect in order to register moral disapproval of the cause.

Don't go there. It gives the fanatics the warm glow of being persecuted for their religious beliefs, and makes the ambivalent feel more sympathy for them.

Murder is a crime. Threat of murder is a crime. Non-consensual sex is a crime. Knowingly covering up a crime is a crime. Perfectly reasonable to insist that state schools teach some level of citizenship which includes a very clear statement of these facts about our legal system.

Perfectly reasonable, in my view, to insist that state schools teach in the language of the country concerned. And that all pupils do sport.

What we don't need is well-meaning people identifying a "syndrome" which includes both crimes and harmless elements of traditional culture, and then trying to ban the harmless elements because they're associated with crime and that's the easy thing to do.

Russ

I often think that kind of approach, Russ, is what entrenches antipathy and feelings of "them and us" in the immigrant community.

quote:
I'd also like to add that our own cultures' human rights lapses of the past are not a reason not to advocate on behalf of others' human rights now: "Oh, we don't have any right to talk about human rights after what we did to [insert various examples of past colonial oppression, past gender inequity, etc.]..." What bullshit.

It's not our past I am reflecting on, it's what is happening right this very day. Plenty of women in Australia who are breast feeding in public get threatend with indeceny laws. Many American states have the lovely little quirk of putting people on sex offender registers, who were convicted of urinating in public. Not to mention in those same states you would probably end up in jail for soliciting for sex.

You are free to what society tells you to do.

Humility is fine as long as it's expressed in terms of "Look -- we've been there, done that; our society is richer for having abandoned our old attitudes and practices. Trust us; we know," and not in a whingeing, quivering refusal to make value judgments on customs that deprive human beings of their human rights. I remember being on a discussion forum, talking about multiculturalism, where one person kept insisting that one value system is just as good as the other. I asked that person if s/he thought that, say, the Nazis' value system was as good as his/hers, or the practice in some cultures of selling children off to slave-labor or worse for the greater good of the family, or if some latter-day Aztec restorationist started sacrificing children and offering their still-beating hearts to the sun god, was just as swell a value as his or her own...that person started stuttering and equivocating in a way that made it clear that, as long as he wasn't the one being loaded into a cattle car for a concentration camp, or lying on a stone altar waiting for the knife to come down on his chest, or seeing his child taken away to be chained to a sewing machine in a sweatshop to pay off a debt, he really didn't give a damn about values other than his own rather suspect value of "not imposing my values on others."

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:

quote:
The article, which I've just finished reading, makes the very good point that the Germans pretended that they did not have immigrants and, for over 30 years, and had no real immigrant integration or citizenship programming. Moreover, like most European countries, they placed real barriers to citizenship (language exams at a high academic level, rather than a functional one) and extensive waiting periods (I think that it's 10 years or more). Canada and Oz, and to a lesser degree (cf. Will Kymlicka's book on this), pushed citizenship classes on immigrants. In both countries, funding went to integration programming designed jointly by community groups and the Government.
Of course. For most German citizens Turks aren't Germans. Why, therefore, should they be expected to conform to German values. This then raises a second point that, despite the objections of the cultural left, one can to a large extent object to doing this sort of thing with the taxpayers money in the US or the UK by an appeal to the fact that such things "are not British, old boy" or are against the "American Way". This is because US and UK patriotism are tied up with some kind of self-understanding of democracy and civil society. In Germany patriotism took other, malign, forms and therefore is difficult to invoke as a kind of social glue. German politicians would find it difficult to object to the behaviour of an ethnic minority on the grounds that it doesn't conform with German values for fairly obvious historical reasons. A society can cope reasonably well with immigrant populations if it has a language of civic patriotism which, in effect, tells immigrants "thus far and no farther" on certain issues. But without any clear notion of what immigrants should integrate or assimilate to and no clear desire to foster such integration or assimilation it is easier to placate such groups by subsidising them as a kind of ethnic ghetto than attempting the harder task of deterring such behaviour.

I'm not sure what the situation is now but it was undoubtedly the case that many of the earliest immigrants to Germany were from sectors of Turkish society that left Turkey because they objected to Ataturkism. This suited the Germans who got cheap labour, the Turks who exported their dissident problem and the Turkish expats who could pursue their reactionary brand of Islam without coming to the attention of the Turkish state. Certainly the Turkish immigrant community was fertile recruiting ground for the neo-fascist group the Grey Wolves in the 1970s. From Laura's article it sounds like a Turkish woman growing up in Berlin is less free than that same woman would be if she were growing up in Ankara or Istanbul.

quote:
Humility is fine as long as it's expressed in terms of "Look -- we've been there, done that; our society is richer for having abandoned our old attitudes and practices. Trust us; we know,"

That is, however, so rarely what comes across. The average expression seems to be "Look -- you have a primitive, repressive, barbaric culture and religion. You need to abandon this wholesale if you want to be accepted - and those hijabs are part of the problem, they need to go too."

I've yet to see European/US society exhibiting an excess of humility in this regard, I must say. Your counter example doesn't sound like such a case, either.

I think the relativism here which would equate wearing school uniforms with forcing girls into marriage at 13 is pretty scary. I'm also not interested in "but your society tells women they need to wear high heels and makeup" sort of thing, because it's bullshit. The social cost of not wearing high heels or makeup (which I do not do and it has not affected my personal success in life) is nothing at all to the very real cost of the Muslim girl's refusal to toe the line in the situations described which can result in death.

Nor do I think it is fair to say we can't do anything about trying to prevent, say, honor killings to go unpunished or girls being taught rubbish in state schools, because our society is also failing women from time to time. That fact should make us want to fix our own society and encourage changes in the immigrant communities among us to foster the same goals.

Posted by R.D. Olivaw (# 9990) on :

This is a good paper that is included on a very interesting website.

quote:
I think the relativism here which would equate wearing school uniforms with forcing girls into marriage at 13 is pretty scary.

Please don't include me here. What I would like to see, though, is the idea that one could stop honour killings and the like without an attack on wearing the hijab and other religious and cultural norms. That doesn't necessarily equate those two evils.

I'd like to avoid this being a "my culture versus your culture".... and I believe this can be done.... by emphasising universal morality. Honor killing, sexual abuse, 13 year old marriages.... these things are just plain wrong, whatever one's cultural background.

And I'm still keen on a definition of what Multiculturalism in this context.

quote:
I remember being on a discussion forum, talking about multiculturalism, where one person kept insisting that one value system is just as good as the other.

As far as I remember I've never met anyone who actually really argued for that.

If that sort of immoral stupidity is what the right-wing media mean by "multicultural" than they are right to oppose it. But its not what most of us mean by it nor what happens in the places most of us live.

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
What I would like to see, though, is the idea that one could stop honour killings and the like without an attack on wearing the hijab and other religious and cultural norms.

I'm not sure you can.

When I see someone wearing chains, I assume they are a prisoner.

If we are to stop families murdering their own daughters (don't call it "hoinour killing" there is nothing honourable about it it is the actions of people who are without honour, losers who are oppressed and depressed and hopless and angry and take revenge on the few people they can find who are weaker than them) there has to be a shift in the balamnce of power in families away from men and towards women. Women have to be able to stand up to men. That's unlikely to happen if they are cooped up in back rooms, isolated, uneducated, forced to hide their own faces from the world.

(*) Not if by "hijab" you mean the whole system of covering up and sequestration of women practiced in some places (not, for what its worth, in most or Turkey or that much among the Turks who live in London - maybe they are a different sort than the ones in Germany) That's a very different thing from just wearing a headscarf.

To me the whole notion of hijab assumes some sort of inherent defect in women; if that were not so, then men would also be required to "cover" as well. (And don't tell me about their own set of modesty rules -- they aren't nearly as restrictive of movement and freedom.) Here is what hijab suggests:

Women are "temptresses" from whose appearance pious men must be protected;

Women are chattel, or at least incompetent persons needing (male) guardianship, and "covering" is primarily about protecting the proprietary interests of fathers/brothers/husbands.

Men are brainless beasts who aren't even capable of looking at a woman's hair without going out of control, like dogs in an alley...and, for some reason, this is seen as the women's burden.

So it's not just about wearing a scarf. You have to think of the why .

Posted by Tabby.Cat (# 4561) on :

What about the girls who wouldn't be allowed to go to school at all if they couldn't cover themselves up there? Banning the hijab wouldn't only give the fanatics Russ's "warm glow of being persecuted" but would probably lead to a lot of girls being stuck at home where they'd have even less chance of getting a proper education...

Don't get me wrong. I'm not at all in favor of banning hijab -- in fact, I think that's a chowderheaded idea, for the very reasons you state. I think the answer to the problem lies, in, on one hand, governments prosecuting human rights violations fairly across the board, including in ethnic enclaves, and on the other hand in educating these populations about their rights/privileges/responsibilities as citizens or resident aliens of whatever country they're in. I really don't see either happening. And this gives religious extremists an "in."

Posted by m.t_tomb (# 3012) on :

quote:
To me the whole notion of hijab assumes some sort of inherent defect in women; if that were not so, then men would also be required to "cover" as well. (And don't tell me about their own set of modesty rules -- they aren't nearly as restrictive of movement and freedom.) Here is what hijab suggests:

Women are chattel, or at least incompetent persons needing (male) guardianship, and "covering" is primarily about protecting the proprietary interests of fathers/brothers/husbands.

Men are brainless beasts who aren't even capable of looking at a woman's hair without going out of control, like dogs in an alley...and, for some reason, this is seen as the women's burden.

I think it's because Islam doesn't have much concept of interior mortification of sin. The awareness of an inner condition of sinfulness (which is universal to humanity) has led, in some expressions of Islam, to the practice of extreme projection. So - in the case of hijab - instead of dealing with subject of lust (i.e men) Sharia law has focused upon changing the object of lust (i.e. women). The problem with this is that is doesn't work.

Jesus' solution to the problem of lust is much stronger and much more radical. His advice for men struggling with lust is to undergo a radical assessement of our own contribution to the problem. He advises merciless self discipline and inner mortification of sin. So much so that he says we have to be so serious about it that it can be compared to self-mutilation.

Lust is an inner condition according to Jesus. He does not blame the woman; he blames the man.

[ 05. December 2005, 18:51: Message edited by: m.t_tomb ]

Posted by Tabby.Cat (# 4561) on :

Sorry LutheranChik, my post wasn't particularly aimed at you! But yes, I agree with you too. It's interesting that my idea of multiculturalism includes treating everybody the same under the law - so of course, as you say, crimes should be punished, with no excuse for the "culture" of the people involved. That's where we need to define terms, again, because some people seem to see multiculturalism as allowing or creating those excuses. (I think there are similar problems with the term "political correctness.")

Posted by Real Ale Methodist (# 7390) on :

Multi-culturalism is an ideal, whereby the state acts to accomodate the cultural desires and needs of different groups, in such a way that does not impinge on the culture of another group. It assumes that a varieity of cultures and forms of expression are equally valid. However, in order for multi-culturalism to work there must be some sort of framework.

Most debates that involve multiculturalism, including this one are really a debate on to what the moral framework for society is.

Laura, like most of us, takes it as given that a respect for women as full citizens with equal rights should be part of the framework. What She observes is that a desire to accomodate Islamic culture has lead to this being compromised.

What I see is a desire, in the name of multiculturalism, not to interfere with islamic family life. This is all very well, BUT the framework is compromised and women are being oppressed. I would first of all advocate a position whereby the British state is not afraid to interfere with Family life(and by extension community life; I would strongly advocate a lot of checking up on schools) in any case where oppresion of either women, children or indeed anyone is a potential problem.

There are many forms this could take, MP for Keighley (South?) Ann Cryer is a proponant of compulsary English lessons; the theory being that an inability to speak proper English is one way in which newly migrated women can be subjegated. In Bradford there are a number of projects that seek to deal with problems of domestic violence, but they are often starved of funds. These projects can only ever take a fairly piecemeal approach anyway.

I'm on board with the equal application of laws. Recently in Oz we had a 14 year old girl raped repeatedly by her promised 'husband' of fifty-something in order to teach her a lesson about something or other. His excuse was that in his culture (Central Indigenous Australia) it was perfectly okay.

It isn't. Neither is locking up your children for years, beating them, raping them or allowing them to be raped. Simple as that. I dislike the equation of the hijab with submission to men though.

All the girls I speak to (and for me) any covering of the hair is a matter of personal comfort and submission to God. Yes there is a large portion of society that mandates modesty in reaction to lustful men (just take a look at almost any discussion about rape and see how far we've gotten). But to unequivocably damn the hijab only reinforces the ideas of women submitting to society in all forms of bodly expression and denies a whole sector of society the comfort they find in modesty.

Ananke: Then are you also suggesting that men, who are equally called to obedience to God, covertheir heads? If not, why not?

Ananke,
I don't know if you're referring to me but I am not talking about merely covering hair, I'm talking about niqabs and burqahs in schools - these are garments which cover the face, anonymising women and in the case of Afghani burqahs seriously impairing their vision (and I have explicitly made the distinction between these extreme forms and headscarves twice now). These forms of face coverings are nowhere mandated for men in Islam. They are purely sexist and they and the severe codes of behaviour that go along with them help to anonymise and isolate women in the community at large making them easier to efface and exploit.

L.

[ 05. December 2005, 23:33: Message edited by: Louise ]

Posted by OliviaG (# 9881) on :

quote:

Here is what hijab suggests:

Thanks for that, LutheranChik. That pretty much summarizes my own "unpacking" of the custom. However, (and this is NOT directed specifically at LutheranChik - you just worded it best!), is Christianity historically and doctrinally in a good position to argue these points with Islam? One can find support for and expression of these ideas both in Scripture and in the history of the Christian faith. For example, it's now the 21st century and there are still 17 pages of discussion in Dead Horses about "Priestly Genitalia". Isn't it fair to say that the recognition of women as full persons in the Christian faith happened partly because of the influx of secular, Enlightenment ideas?

Perhaps the collision between the Enlightenment and Islam is happening right now - it's just hard to see because it is mixed up with a lot of other political and economic factors and it is unfolding in real time. OliviaG

Olivia: I was thinking the same thing at times...maybe it's because I belong to a socially progressive denomination and congregation that both affirm gender-equity, but some of the gender-role discussions here on the Ship just curl my (extremely short and uncovered) hair. [Eek!]

quote:
I think the relativism here which would equate wearing school uniforms with forcing girls into marriage at 13 is pretty scary. I'm also not interested in "but your society tells women they need to wear high heels and makeup" sort of thing, because it's bullshit. The social cost of not wearing high heels or makeup (which I do not do and it has not affected my personal success in life) is nothing at all to the very real cost of the Muslim girl's refusal to toe the line in the situations described which can result in death.

Right and you are completely ignoring the fact that in most western countries women can be arrested for simply exposing their nipples while it is fine for men to do the same (The Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction comes to mind). Or you can end up as a registered sex offender for simply urinating against a tree on public land in the middle of the night.

These are real life destroying punishments, for very minor "crimes", that western culture is quite happy to impose.

[ 06. December 2005, 01:45: Message edited by: the_raptor ]

quote:
quote:

Right and you are completely ignoring the fact that in most western countries women can be arrested for simply exposing their nipples while it is fine for men to do the same (The Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction comes to mind). Or you can end up as a registered sex offender for simply urinating against a tree on public land in the middle of the night.

These are real life destroying punishments for very minor "crimes", that western culture is quite happy to impose.

You seem to be arguing from what must be a very small sample of injustices in the West that we should not prevent injustices among us. That the very occasional arrest for breastfeeding is equivalent to an honor killing for refusing to submit to parental demands that you marry at 13 and wear a hijab or burqua.

The difference is that breastfeeding is widely accepted and recommended by the health establishment AND if a woman is arrested (as does happen periodically) within minutes there is a huge outcry, a nurse-in is organized so that hundreds of women are breastfeeding in the offending establishment or park, and then shortly after, an apology from the embarassed chief of police. This is miles away from forcing a 13 year old to marry or paying an Islamist teacher state money to teach that this is good.

The issue of sexual offender registers deserves its own thread, but I don't see its relevance here. I very much doubt that there are very many people on the offender registers for public urination. I do take issue with such registration for 18 year old having sex with a 16 year old girlfriend, but surely this is a matter to pursue in the legislature -- which you can do, because you are not a 14 year old Muslim girl.

quote:
You seem to be arguing from what must be a very small sample of injustices in the West that we should not prevent injustices among us. That the very occasional arrest for breastfeeding is equivalent to an honor killing for refusing to submit to parental demands that you marry at 13 and wear a hijab or burqua.

Oh yes because honor killings and underage marriage happen all the time in western society. [Roll Eyes]

I mean the law just doesn't apply to those damn muslims, it is sick how they get away with it and it doesn't even make the news. Oh wait a minute you are reflecting the crimes commited by muslims in third world countries onto muslims who have lived their whole lives in western society.

And we are so superior to them because Christians in third world countries never have cultural practices that are utterly repugnant. There are no countries where Christians practice underage marriage. Oh wait, there are those fundie mormon cults in Utah that do just that, and also practice bigamy. And we musn't forget that some African christians think that female genital mutilation is a jolly good idea.

Of course "honour" killings are abhorent, and so is underage marriage. But don't go trying to make it appear as a problem that is indemic in western muslims, or that many Christians sects don't promote equally abhorent practices (All those fundie Catholics that want women pregnant and in the kitchen). The west does *not* have the moral high ground, anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant. The problem is cultures, not religions.

quote:
The issue of sexual offender registers deserves its own thread, but I don't see its relevance here. I very much doubt that there are very many people on the offender registers for public urination. I do take issue with such registration for 18 year old having sex with a 16 year old girlfriend, but surely this is a matter to pursue in the legislature -- which you can do, because you are not a 14 year old Muslim girl.

You would be surprised. And no I can't pursue it in the legislature, because voters are wired to have knee jerk reactions as soon as you say the word "sex offender".

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

Definitionophiliacs might take comfort in the only official definitions of multiculturalism which I could find. The first is in the 1989 Canadian Multiculturalism Act, calling it, among other things:
quote:
3.1.c (c) the full and equitable participation of individuals and communities of all origins in the continuing evolution and shaping of all aspects of Canadian society and assist them in the elimination of any barrier to that participation.
The Australian definition I found is by the way of a recommended definition in a 1999 Report which sez (this one's longer)
quote:
Australian multiculturalism is a term which recognises and celebrates Australia’s cultural diversity. It accepts and respects the right of all Australians to express and share their individual cultural heritage within an overriding commitment to Australia and the basic structures and values of Australian democracy. It also refers to the strategies, policies and programs that are designed to:
make our administrative, social and economic infrastructure more responsive to the rights, obligations and needs of our culturally diverse population;
promote social harmony among the different cultural groups in our society;
optimise the benefits of our cultural diversity for all Australians.

While Australian multiculturalism values and celebrates diversity, it is not an ‘anything goes’ concept since it is built on core societal values of mutual respect, tolerance and harmony, the rule of law and our democratic principles and institutions. It is also based on an overriding commitment to Australia.

Of course, one of my policy colleagues noted that most Canadians called the bits of multiculturalism they didn't like: "official multiculturalism," and the bits which they quite liked: "just being Canadian."

quote:
People harp on about all the freedom we enjoy in western society, but in reality it is very restraining unless you want to be an outcast.

Whoopie skip. Yes, if you break the social norms, you'll loose the 'respect' of the self-declared 'respectable people'. Yes, there are all sorts of stunts people can play to try and get you to do what they want. And telling them to get stuffed will hurt. But in the West *it won't get you killed, or locked up for years, or pack raped*. If you've got a minimum of guts, you can go your own way here. That's not an option for these girls.

Exactly. I find the moral equation of hormone-addled teenagers' pecking-order rituals with the very real dangers girls and women in fundamentalist-Islamist communities face in defying male authority bizarre, to say the least.

quote:
Originally posted by whitelaughter:
quote:
People harp on about all the freedom we enjoy in western society, but in reality it is very restraining unless you want to be an outcast.

Whoopie skip. Yes, if you break the social norms, you'll loose the 'respect' of the self-declared 'respectable people'. Yes, there are all sorts of stunts people can play to try and get you to do what they want. And telling them to get stuffed will hurt. But in the West *it won't get you killed, or locked up for years, or pack raped*. If you've got a minimum of guts, you can go your own way here. That's not an option for these girls.
Please read what else I have posted. There are plenty of ways to get locked up for years, for doing nothing more then flashing a bit of skin (walk into a school yard naked, see how quickly you end up charged as a sex offender) or hurting no one but yourself. Im sure society would collapse if they didn't lock up all those people who got caught with a few grams of a mild intoxicant.

quote:
Exactly. I find the moral equation of hormone-addled teenagers' pecking-order rituals with the very real dangers girls and women in fundamentalist-Islamist communities face in defying male authority bizarre, to say the least.

You can replace Islamist with Christian, and I could find you a bunch of communities were that statement would be true.

quote:
Originally posted by Father Gregory:
Why is it that when the OP focusses on child abuse, segregation, and womens' rights the thread degenerates into the hijab issue? [Mad] How are we going to deal with this unless we face it?

Why? Because child abuse etc happens behind closed doors; people see the clothing every day.
How are we going to deal with it? I gave up hope long ago. 'The right of privacy' is an insurmountable obstacle; as long as people have the right and power to hide crimes, those crimes will continue, and continue unpunished. And even if we did catch them, do the math: 1/3 children are abused, each molestor rapes an average of 9 kids, that's 1/27th of the population are child molestors. And that's just one brand of criminal! We can't build enough jails, won't get the support for mass executions, can't reform more than a handful. Hopeless (and then consider their power as a voting block in politics). Which is another reason for focusing on specific groups: in theory, we could probably deal with crime in one or two minority groups.

On a brighter note, anyone wanting to break the cultural baggage related to burkha/veils etc should consider Ataturk's trick: he made it compulsory for prostitutes to wear veils. That made *not* wearing a veil a sign of modesty - and women can play the two competing forms of modesty off against each other to gain actual choice.

quote:
quote:

Oh yes because honor killings and underage marriage happen all the time in western society. [Roll Eyes]

At least a thousand forced marriages in the UK alone every year. Honour killings run about 12 a year (those that are detected, that is) but more may have been overlooked because the police previously weren't aware of the issue.There have been six such killings in five months in Berlin alone this year, in the Turkish community, not surprising, sadly, given attitudes like these.

It might help to educate yourself about some of these problems in Europe and to stop setting up an army of straw-man positions held by no-one on this thread. Sadly these problems are indeed endemic in some communities, the question is what can be done to help and what well-intentioned efforts might be making things worse? Maybe you'd like to address that instead of ranting about positions Laura has never held and which anyone who's hung about a bit on this board knows she isn't likely to hold in a million years.

L.

Posted by gbuchanan (# 415) on :

quote:
I mean the law just doesn't apply to those damn muslims, it is sick how they get away with it and it doesn't even make the news. Oh wait a minute you are reflecting the crimes commited by muslims in third world countries onto muslims who have lived their whole lives in western society.

Erm, being a teency bit pedantic, in UK terms, honour killings actually are a bit of an issue. A couple of years back, we had over 100 suspected unresolved cases over a 10 year span, and the last time I checked we are convicting at the rate of 10 or so a year for murder or attempted murder where "honour" was a factor, so that would suggest somewhere between (say) one or two a month. In UK terms, that's a significant proportion of murder in the country. I don't know the US statistics, but I know in Germany that honour killings make the muslim population per se over represented in the murder rates considering their numbers. Now, colour me stupid, but that seems rather scary to me.

Returning to some earlier comments on Germany, I've lived there, and I know people who live in Kreuzberg in Berlin, where there's a strong Muslim communiity. There certainly are problems with the Gastarbeiter status of many, but the issues of achievement in society are much more complex. For example, the complexities of academic achievement and ethnicity really cloud the issue - is the high rate of Muslim women withdrawing from the school system when compared with their men a "German" issue? Likewise, the pressure on younger men from immigrant communities to enter early into the workforce doesn't help theiir long-term achievement. I've faced many of those issues in London in the UK. Some ethnicities outperform "indigenous" families - others don't. Why is that?

In the UK families from some predominantly Muslim countries perform better than average white caucasians at school/university, whilst other countries do badly (e.g. Pakistan versus Bangladesh). Interestingly, there's a correspondence between the performance of those "incoming" countries and their economic success across Europe. Though I acknowledge many groups feel disadvantaged, I think the disadvantage is at least partially self-fulfilled (though France is actually a problem it seems).

Anyhow, all too complex for one post!

quote:
(*) Not if by "hijab" you mean the whole system of covering up and sequestration of women practiced in some places (not, for what its worth, in most or Turkey or that much among the Turks who live in London - maybe they are a different sort than the ones in Germany) That's a very different thing from just wearing a headscarf.

No, I didn't mean that. It wouldn't have occured to me to describe that kind of extreme practice as "hijab". Mainly because most of the muslims I know who wear the hijab don't practice that..... it seems to go along with the burka and veil.

I really think the hijab can be worn by confident, outgoing mulsim women. In fact, I know some. And I think muslim dress/culture/practice needs to be differntiated from the extreme sequestering and domination of women that also goes on. Else this becomes one culture imposing it's views wholesale on another - and it should be (and I maintain can be) one culture holding another to account under universal standards.

quote:
At least a thousand forced marriages in the UK alone every year.

I don't know if that's true. The link says 1000 marriages to partners "chosen by parents" which may not be the same thing. I have some quite educated, independantly thinking colleagues who, after playing the dating game for a while, have opted for an arranged marriage. The process is by discussion with parents, a brief meeting is arranged, the prospective partners give their parents their views.... and then go ahead or don't go ahead.

Which may not be our way of doing things, but isn't a human rights issue.

I agree, of course, that forced marriages do occur, and are an abuse of human rights.... I just think they might not run into the 1,000's.

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
Definitionophiliacs might take comfort in the only official definitions of multiculturalism which I could find......Of course, one of my policy colleagues noted that most Canadians called the bits of multiculturalism they didn't like: "official multiculturalism," and the bits which they quite liked: "just being Canadian."

Sorry, missed this first time through. Thank you, definitionophiliac present and satisfied.

I can't think what aspect of that process, as defined, causes us to ignore honour killings. (I wish we had a different word to describe them, come to think of it.)

I think your last sentance is telling though. Multiculturalism becomes a label like "political correctness", the bogeyman representing left wing, lilly-livered pandering, to be blamed for all ills.

The specific danger of that, however, is that when someone like me hears multiculturalism taking the blame for such events, it sounds to us like racial scape-goating... I hear it as "the presence of other cultures, equal rights and acceptance" being blamed for atrocity.

Rather like the rallying call of the far right.

Posted by Rat (# 3373) on :

quote:
Originally posted by gbuchanan:
Though I acknowledge many groups feel disadvantaged, I think the disadvantage is at least partially self-fulfilled (though France is actually a problem it seems).

I know I am being guilty of extrapolation from a single experience here, but from what I have heard people may be right to think that Germany is also a problem.

A British Asian friend of mine who lived and worked in Germany had a very difficult time when she split up from her (White British) husband. She found it extremely difficult to find a place to live on her own and was confronted over and over again with quite blatant comments such as 'the flat isn't available to coloured people, we thought you were British', and 'you never said on the phone you were coloured'. She was very distressed by this.

It wound up - despite her being a relatively high earner - that the only place she could find was in basically an Asian ghetto, one-and-a-half steps above a slum. She came home shortly afterwards.

I know I shouldn't tarnish an entire country with one person's bad experience, but equally I think you'd have difficulty describing her experience as 'partially self-fulfilled'. There seems to be sufficient evidence to suppose that integration difficulties in Germany are not one-sided.

quote:
The link says 1000 marriages to partners "chosen by parents" which may not be the same thing. I have some quite educated, independantly thinking colleagues who, after playing the dating game for a while, have opted for an arranged marriage. The process is by discussion with parents, a brief meeting is arranged, the prospective partners give their parents their views.... and then go ahead or don't go ahead.

Which may not be our way of doing things, but isn't a human rights issue.

This is also my experience. I know several educated, working Asians, male and female, living independently who have either opted voluntarily for arranged marriage or have discussed the possibility with their parents and at length decided against it. This makes me uncomfortable when arranged marriage and forced marriage are equated.

Forced marriage, 'honour' killing, imprisonment, etc are of course crimes. And I've never heard of a defintion of multiculturalism that allows anyone to be above the law. If these crimes are not being detected or prosecuted then this strikes me as a failure of policing rather than of multiculturalism.

Originally posted by m.t_tomb:

quote:
I think it's because Islam doesn't have much concept of interior mortification of sin. The awareness of an inner condition of sinfulness (which is universal to humanity) has led, in some expressions of Islam, to the practice of extreme projection. So - in the case of hijab - instead of dealing with subject of lust (i.e men) Sharia law has focused upon changing the object of lust (i.e. women). The problem with this is that is doesn't work.

Jesus' solution to the problem of lust is much stronger and much more radical. His advice for men struggling with lust is to undergo a radical assessement of our own contribution to the problem. He advises merciless self discipline and inner mortification of sin. So much so that he says we have to be so serious about it that it can be compared to self-mutilation.

Lust is an inner condition according to Jesus. He does not blame the woman; he blames the man.

Muslims are hardly the only religious group with dress codes. St Paul instructs women to cover their heads during divine worship and to dress modestly. For that matter in Calvin's Geneva women were imprisoned for wearing improper hats. Which suggests that like Dosteovsky's Grand Inquisitor later Christians abandoned our Lord's radicalism for a disciplinary conservatism. Contemporary freedom in these matters owes very little to Christianity.

It should also be remembered that the hijab et. al. are symbols of status. As Gellner points out, the idea that the hijab should be normative for women is of fairly recent origin. Muslim women of previous generations left such things to their betters. A woman who wears the hijab is not necessarily saying: "I am inferior to you" to a man. She may well be saying: "I am equal to you" to another woman. In an immigrant context she may be saying: "I am not a sex object like you" to a native woman - it is hardly unprecendented for marginalised groups to compensate themselves by congratulating themselves on their superior virtue. Quite simply if you want to know how to read religious and cultural activities you need to take some effort to undertand the motivation of the participants.

quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
Forced marriage, 'honour' killing, imprisonment, etc are of course crimes. And I've never heard of a defintion of multiculturalism that allows anyone to be above the law. If these crimes are not being detected or prosecuted then this strikes me as a failure of policing rather than of multiculturalism.

I agree with this. The crimes need to be separated from the faith/culture, otherwise no progress is going to be made.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

WL:

quote:
1/3 children are abused, each molestor rapes an average of 9 kids, that's 1/27th of the population are child molestors.
Are you really claiming that one person in 27 is a child rapist who has raped on average nine children?

Where does your figure of 1 in 3 abused come from, and does that mean every abuse is a rape?

Something's wrong with your figure here. Anyone have a comment?

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

I'd like to see a source for those stats.

I think WL has made two fallacious equations:

Abuse = Sexual Abuse

and

Sexual Abuse = Rape

But we'll need to know where his figures come from to confirm that.

Posted by Peronel (# 569) on :

I've certainly come across the one in three children are abused figure before. IIRC, it comes from the National Incidence Study of Child Abuse and Neglect, although I haven't a link to show that.

iirc, it counts "sexual abuse" as any unwanted sexual or intimate contact between adult and child or child and child, intentional or not. So stumbling on your parents porn stash could in theory be abuse by that definition. Certainly a fair chunk of playground bullying could be categorised so.

I'm emphatically not saying that such contacts are harmless, but neither are they all child rape.

Who was it who said there are lies, damn lies, and statistics?

Peronel.

quote:
It might help to educate yourself about some of these problems in Europe and to stop setting up an army of straw-man positions held by no-one on this thread.

Oh yes Ye Olde Strawmen. No one at all in this thread is equating Islam with repressive cultural practices, and ignoring that those same practices are still done by Christains in some parts of the world. The very fact that people keep blaming Islam for these barbaric practices tells me that I am not attacking strawmen. The problem is with some Islamic influenced cultures, and not with Islam.

You have posted on this thread equating the veil with these repressive *cultural* practices (and you said religious instead of cultural). So I think it is you who has a problem with strawmen. The big bad muslim isn't coming to take your freedom away, people who identify as Christians are the ones intent on doing that (for the children of course). And this thread seems full of holier-then-thou westerners talking down to Muslims. I enjoy humbling the self-righteous.

I also enjoy how you never want to deal with the fact that women can be arrested in western society for showing less skin then an ankle (a nipple to be precise).

quote:
Sadly these problems are indeed endemic in some communities, the question is what can be done to help and what well-intentioned efforts might be making things worse?

What you mean like reporting anyone I suspect of these crimes and seeing that the police does persecute them? Oh and not alienating muslims such that they prefer to stay in their own ghetto, and not mix with the infidel that seems intent on destroying their religious practices, thus never adapting to our culture?

quote:
Maybe you'd like to address that instead of ranting about positions Laura has never held and which anyone who's hung about a bit on this board knows she isn't likely to hold in a million years.

L.

Oh I see I need a post-graduate degree in "Laura's thoughts and views on Islam" before I post on this thread?

Hmmm...it would appear therefore that the devil is not so much in the detail as in the definition. If accidentally leaving our bottom stairgate open so that the Blacket crawls up two stairs and then takes a tumble constitutes neglect and/ or abuse, then I guess he falls within the 1 in 3.

[cross-posted with The raptor]

[ 06. December 2005, 10:16: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

Or happening to see a grown man having a slash; that would appear to count by that definition.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Or happening to see a grown man having a slash; that would appear to count by that definition.

Which was why I was mentioning people getting put on sex offender registers for urinating against a tree/wall in a public park. In many places there doesn't even have to be anyone around (apart from a camera) for you to get in trouble.

quote:

In that case I abused my son this morning - someone call social services [Paranoid]

quote:
I also enjoy how you never want to deal with the fact that women can be arrested in western society for showing less skin then an ankle (a nipple to be precise).

Which "western society" is this? Not England. Or France. Or Italy. The last time I saw someone breast-feed in public was the day before yesterday. And there are pictures of women with no tops on in our daily newspapers, and on advertising posters.

quote:
Which "western society" is this? Not England. Or France. Or Italy. The last time I saw someone breast-feed in public was the day before yesterday. And there are pictures of women with no tops on in our daily newspapers, and on advertising posters.

I don't think a woman could walk down a street anywhere in the UK showing her nipples without drawing the attention of the police and inviting a nifty 'indecent exposure' charge possibly followed by a night in police cell. Somehow.

[ 06. December 2005, 11:56: Message edited by: Littlelady ]

Context is everything...

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:

In that case I abused my son this morning - someone call social services [Paranoid]
I'll put you down for the next mass execution [Biased]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:

I'll put you down for the next mass execution [Biased]
I thought they were phasing those out in favour of DIY, for budgetry reaons?

quote:
It wound up - despite her being a relatively high earner - that the only place she could find was in basically an Asian ghetto, one-and-a-half steps above a slum. She came home shortly afterwards.

I know I shouldn't tarnish an entire country with one person's bad experience, but equally I think you'd have difficulty describing her experience as 'partially self-fulfilled'. There seems to be sufficient evidence to suppose that integration difficulties in Germany are not one-sided.

Errm, I don't think that I suggested that - somehow I think making the jump from a general observation (mine) to a specific case (yours) is disengenuous at least, if not downright intellectually dishonest. Are there racists in Germany? Sure, however there are also in the UK, and I (as someone from Ireland) have certainly experienced racism in the UK. However, suggesting that there is systematic racism in Germany doesn't tally with the facts. If the housing was being let through an agent, in fact the comments being made against your friend were illegal in Germany.

Your example certainly provides no refutation whatsoever that (at the big picture level) the problems of integration and economic opportunity are at least partially caused by cultural issues. For example, how come in Germany and the UK those from an east Asian background (china, japan) outperform their white peers, whilst those from a southern Asian background do worse; or that those with origins from Mumbai and its neighbourhoods do comparably with ethnic whites whilst those from Bengal on average do much worse?

I've lead multi-racial teams in Germany (Bonn and Braunschweig) and the UK (Birmingham and London). On average, I'd say the negative experiences in each were about the same (and sadly present). Actually, the worst was definitely Birmingham, where the sort of scenario you described in Germany was met several times.

When it comes to weird-hats and Germany, a family friend worked in British schools in Germany, and one landlord turned out to have bought the farm she rented because he'd killed an american soldier there when fighting as a 14 year old in 1944. However, I'd have to go a long way to suggest from that that Germany is endemically Nazi.

Anyhow, where did I suggest that all problems of integration were one sided? When it comes to deciding to pull out of the education system to earn money to send "back home" sooner, sorry but that's not the fault of U.K. Plc or Deutschland GmBH. Strangely, this affects your long-term earning potential. However, negative stereotyping leading to being denied equal treatment for renting, doing business, etc. - is that the fault of the victims? Of course not!

I've worked with six Turkish-origin German PhD's, and they're at least as successful as the German ones. They do share something in common though - their Turkish families are professional, urban families. Go down the back end of Kreuzberg's unemployment dives, and the Turks there generally come from remote rural areas of Turkey. The talk about the rise of "middle class reactionary" Turks is itself a gross simplification - what you're seeing is the "rich Turk trash" perpetuate its values. These folks are generally from poorer Turkish backgrounds made good, not from the long established professional communities. (And yes, before someone makes it out, there ARE some exceptions both ways - Duh!)...

Frankly, I think that it isn't Islam per se that is the problem, but reactionary groups who have partially isolated themselves from the opportunity of progressing (poor education) yet covet the success of others and similarly condemn it for tempting their families away from "tradition" who use it as a pillar of defence. However, I do believe that I've seen the same in white "christians" too. Whatever form it takes, this sort of cycle isn't broken by laws, condemnation or the like. It takes time and a commitment to be fair and to be seen to be fair, AND the push to keep the children in education so that they CAN succeed. However, even then a bitter few will always remain I thin and sometimes that means fighting stereotypes and restrictions within those communities (often particularly for women).

I have responded to The Raptor's outpourings in Hell.

L.

Raptor:

As I had hoped was clear from my OP, I am specifically talking about (and only talking about on this thread) injustices perpetrated against Muslim women who are living in Western First World democracies such as US, UK and Germany. We are in a much better position to do something about injustices within our midst. Not to say we should not continue to fuss about human rights issues on an international level. but it seems an especial shame to permit abuses that no western woman would be expected to tolerate to essentially be protected here in the US or in the UK

[ 06. December 2005, 14:13: Message edited by: Laura ]

quote:
However, suggesting that there is systematic racism in Germany doesn't tally with the facts. If the housing was being let through an agent, in fact the comments being made against your friend were illegal in Germany.
Oddly enough, honour killing is illegal in Germany as well. The fact that there are laws against racism in Germany rather suggests that it is a problem which the German government is trying to deal with rather than a problem which Germany has solved.

In my experience (and I'd suggest this is just plain common sense and knowledge of human nature) there is a degree of systematic racism everywhere in the world, including Africa and Asia. It varies in degree, and in the checks and balances against it. One can't get too hung up on demanding it end..... life will never be like that. On the other hand, it behooves any majority group (or dominant group - not always the same) to be mindful that it is likely to be in their favour, against people they have limited contact with, and perhaps off their radar screen without some imagination.

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Oddly enough, honour killing is illegal in Germany as well.

Oh thanks for pointing out the OBVIOUS!

quote:
The fact that there are laws against racism in Germany rather suggests that it is a problem which the German government is trying to deal with rather than a problem which Germany has solved.
Oh, and again - so where exactly does that leave things vis-a-vis what should be done about the origins of each? Germany also spends a lot of money trying to undermine the seeds of racism too. Like, there are compulsory lessons in schools and many requirements for workplace education as well. Sort of like we have in the UK too (but stronger, actually).

I think you're off topic here, and my point was that Germany is far from the widely and deeply racist country some here were picking it out to be. I'd be stunned if there is one country without racial issues in the world.

Given the experiences of the 20th Century, Germany is a lot more out-in-the-open about its race issues than many other European states.

The following is not really a response to your post - so read it as a general viewpoint.

Going back to the topic, given that there is a serious problem with "honour killings" in Germany, ought the government maintain the status quo and a "hands off" approach? Perhaps counting the bodies in the morgue and chasing it up afterwards is okay with some folks, but personally I think avoiding the whole damn shebang in the first place would be a teency wee bit better.

Oh, and I think it has absolutely zero to do with the status of Muslims/Turks in German society, and pretty much everything to with the internal dynamics of part of the Muslim community in Germany. Somehow, the logic of "some people treat you badly so you should kill some of your own who step out of line" or "we're interfering with the expression of faith here" doesn't stick for me at all.

Heck we're not complaining about what faith anyone has, rather the degree to which they coerce others to comply with their own viewpoint, including specifically their resort to violence. If a woman enters an arranged marriage or wears any clothing out of her own conviction, I have no problem. Where a woman does so because she would otherwise be bullied or assaulted or worse, sorry, I have a problem.

The problem is with people not a faith. The tricky part is that they justify their viewpoints by references to their faith. In a sense, it is their Islam which is the problem not Islam per se. Just like in Northern Ireland, it isn't Christianity that is the problem, just the way people use it as a Trojan horse. However, you can't avoid debating through the identity issue by isolating the problem's effects.

Oh, Callan, on re-reading your post, I may have misunderstood your point. If I did, please excuse me whilst I remove the egg from my face.

Thank you.

I didn't suggest that Germany was especially or uniquely racist - I wouldn't know. I did say that my friend had experienced blatant racism there and that the manifestation of that racism actually pushed her into a community that she didn't belong to (she's a Sikh from the Punjab via Kenya, the majority of the area she was more-or-less forced to live in were Muslim) or even, incidentally, speak the language of.

I think this is highly relevant when discussing groups who 'won't integrate' or who cling to practices that are unacceptable, self-destructive or just old fashioned in their new country. The attitude of the surrounding culture to them cannot possibly be dismissed. The tendency of groups who are not accepted to close in on themselves is well known.

Just in practical terms what would be the position of a girl trying to escape a forced marriage or violent family if she was accustomed to receive the treatment my friend did from people outside her community? Would she be likely to trust the authorities and the services they (doubtless) offer? Would she feel it likely she could make a life outside her community if it rejected her?

I'm not for a minute suggesting these problems are unique to Germany, I suspect the same dynamics are at work here, even if not usually quite so robustly expressed. And I'm not suggesting people in these communities bear no responsibility for their actions - as I've said before, a crime is a crime and should be treated as such. But it does not seem helpful to ignore the influence that the surrounding culture may have in isolating communities and encouraging inward-looking tendencies.

quote:
Ananke: Then are you also suggesting that men, who are equally called to obedience to God, covertheir heads? If not, why not?

I'm actually not suggesting anything. I was illustrating the choices a few women I know have made, independent of men and independent of others. Their decision doesn't require a similar respect from the men in their lives.

I've decided against wearing a headscarf for my own comfort (it's damn hot) and a certain fearfulness that it will get my (arabic-looking) partner and I in trouble. Not to mention that I don't feel it is always necessary for me.

I have issues with the niqab and burquah as well - health wise and society wise they are next to deadly. The headscarf is a modesty issue for me, rather than a symbol.

I think it's important to understand the context in which individuals see the world. Rat's, is by no means unique.... I'd go as far as to say it's normative.

And that context, as Rat says, is highly relevant to descriptions of communities who "won't integrate"..... and relevant when one reads that multiculturalism is to blame for various atrocities in society or inset-societies.

The attitude of many in the target community for reform is likely to be "Sort your own house out, then start telling us what to do."

Not that I defend that attitude.... just to indicate that it's there, and where it comes from.

[ 07. December 2005, 03:54: Message edited by: mdijon ]

quote:
I think it's important to understand the context in which individuals see the world. Rat's, is by no means unique.... I'd go as far as to say it's normative.

I can certainly see the role hostile relations between a minority community and the wider community plays in isolationism and the defence of traditions. However, I think that has at some problems with it as a simple observation.

For one point, how come different communities (who are racially in the same mix) behave so differently? Clearly there is an existing condition within the community that is separatist or separating (if the subtlety of the two words there comes across I don't know). As I observed before, it is clearly a dynamic between the "host" environment and the minority one. If professional Turks and rural Turks behave so differently, then there's clearly an endemic position that differentiates between those two. I can think of quite a few symbols that divide them. There are tensions theseways within Turkey as well. Move them to a different country and the problems multiply.

Is the experience normative? Perhaps it is in some degree, but I think that the instances where it goes so far as to support criminal activity is pretty sparse. That applies even to minority communities in (say) the UK.

quote:
And that context, as Rat says, is highly relevant to descriptions of communities who "won't integrate"..... and relevant when one reads that multiculturalism is to blame for various atrocities in society or inset-societies.
If multiculturalism is used to excuse "hands off" approaches (which it sounds to me that you're suggesting), I don't buy it at all. Come on, if urban Turks in Europe don't get involved, and it is frequent amongst ex-rural Turks, then clearly the factors are more to do with the endemic origins of the community than the nationality/race or, indeed, the religion or host community. If it is a necessary product of immigration, then that's something that is a matter for a proper, wide approach to multiculturalism. I don't question multiculturalism per se, but what I see as sloppy thinking that blames host communities and 'alienation' for practices that originate within a community.

quote:
The attitude of many in the target community for reform is likely to be "Sort your own house out, then start telling us what to do."

Not that I defend that attitude.... just to indicate that it's there, and where it comes from.

...yeah, but I think that it is more akin to projection than honesty. I think defending murder on the basis of other wrongs is morally repugnant. I don't care what pseudo-justifications fly around for it.

You completely misread me. I do not justify murder or a "hands off" approach.

I'm not sure what sort of projection you are accusing me of either.

I find your discussion of individual variation within a culture a bit opaque..... people vary. Does this discount societal and systematic factors?

I would think it's likely that the blame for alienation between two communities is not either's exclusively. I find it depressing that both sides always blame the other for the alienation.... neither seems to be able to think outside their small sphere of experience to imagine what the other side experiences......

Could you imagine that what you write in your post above is exactly the kind of thing a member of a minority might find confirmatory of the complete lack of sympathy in the host community? In the same way as you might be antipathic should or others suggest the primary fault is with the host community?

You may have an absolute right to hold these views..... to express them..... they may even be right for all I know. It may be possible, by slow, grinding argument, to establish that actually the fault in alienation is 70% Turk and only 30% host community. And in London 80% Jamacan and 20% British..... but where then? I don't think there's any scope for progress with each side think about the things they do and say that drive the alienation further..... and trying to understand how the other side sees them, and why the see them like that.

quote:
You completely misread me. I do not justify murder or a "hands off" approach.

ERm, I think that you're reading something into what I wrote that I didn't intend to be there.

quote:
I'm not sure what sort of projection you are accusing me of either.
...I wasn't accusing you of projection at all. What I was saying is that I believe that accusations of "put your own house in order" actually deflect any responsibility for actions within their own community, and perhaps may be a projection of internal pressures within a community to the external world. This is actually one of the main historical drivers of armed conflicts.

quote:
I find your discussion of individual variation within a culture a bit opaque..... people vary. Does this discount societal and systematic factors?
Erm, where on earth did I mention individuals?

I've been focussing on the fact that broad brush strokes actually ignore significant patterns underneath, and from that suggesting that the origin of many of the problems this thread is about are themselves more complex and have origins both within and beyond the immediate minority communities and their host community (and I wish I could come up with some less pejorative labels there).

Societal and cultural issues exist at a number of different levels - not just one. That's my point. Getting the origin and level wrong compounds an already complex problem and minimises the chances of obtaining real change. Oh, and yes, it maximises the opportunity for damaging further relationships between cultures too!

quote:
I would think it's likely that the blame for alienation between two communities is not either's exclusively. I find it depressing that both sides always blame the other for the alienation.... neither seems to be able to think outside their small sphere of experience to imagine what the other side experiences......
Agreed, but I think that that debate is not necessarily intertwined with addressing oppression within communities.

quote:
Could you imagine that what you write in your post above is exactly the kind of thing a member of a minority might find confirmatory of the complete lack of sympathy in the host community?
Erm, I take that as moving towards a personal attack, frankly.

If pointing out that when two outwardly similar minority communities (seen perhaps from the outside as one) have themselves significant differences is a lack of sympathy, I don't quite get where you're coming from. I think that being precise over the origin and place of a problem is not at all an issue of sympathy - it's an issue of precision. Criticising a wider community for a problem present with a small group within it certainly isn't being sympathetic. Not being precise about the origins and consequences of problems such as honour killings or beatings for not wearing particular clothing isn't sympathetic towards the victims or their families either.

I think that minority communities face a lot of problems - heck, I'm actually in one myself. I've faced racial abuse myself. People from my own community have systematically committed murder in my host community. Perhaps I have a clue about what I speak of?

quote:
In the same way as you might be antipathic should or others suggest the primary fault is with the host community?
If someone said that, the facts so plainly oppose that view it wouldn't worry me on that basis at all. I'm antipathetic about ignoring the facts, perhaps, but that's about it.

quote:
I don't think there's any scope for progress with each side think about the things they do and say that drive the alienation further..... and trying to understand how the other side sees them, and why the see them like that.
Erm, neither do I.

However, I don't have any idea how one can be precise over the origin of something with some cultural background without potentially upsetting some people, who will then use any damned cover story in the world to deflect criticism.

I don't think that fighting the oppression of women in some communities, particularly where that includes physical violence, in a society that abhors it is likely to face open-armed acceptance. Society at large cannot eliminate the attitudes of a hardened few, be they racists or murderers. On the other hand, it can do everything it can on both fronts to isolate those people and disempower them.

I don't think society should rest on its laurels and ignore the racism that remains in it.

I don't think that it can challenge culturally condoned violence without having some confrontation. I wish it were otherwise.

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but I get the impression that you wish to "deculturate" the criticism of murder, but how on earth could one challenge the tradition of (say) Suttee without also involving some critique of the supporting attitudes in society? To me that particular case is a good example of the problems: a practice in fact exercised by a small minority that was unwittingly generalised by a few reporters leading to a wider cultural tension that would probably not have arisen had they studied the issue longer. When that occurs, and coupled with a lack of sympathy (yes) one ends up failing to achieve what is needed. However, Prevost (who with others eventually undermined Suttee) managed to skilfully separate the wider community from the narrower one, and through that improved the long-term relationships of each party. On the other hand, this did still involve a short-term conflict with those committed to the practice.

I could be wrong, but I suspect you're reading my posts outside the context/viewpoint from which I'm beginning and thus unfortunately misinterpreting them. Perhaps I am also failing to read you accurately?

What process would you suggest to tackle the problems this thread started with?

quote:
If multiculturalism is used to excuse "hands off" approaches (which it sounds to me that you're suggesting), I don't buy it at all.

Maybe we are both reading things into each others posts that aren't there.

I'm most worried by the part that you thought was a personal attack. I'm not necessarily saying that you are an unsympathetic person..... but I am suggesting that it would be very difficult to express the sentiments you do, in the way you do, without someone from a minority group - with the previous experiences I describe - finding the approach antipathic. Without it tending to produce a "Sort your own house out first" kind of response.

And that, to me, is the question here. If societies really do want to do something about the honour killings, for instance, and the cultural factors which support them, then they need to be able to intervene within those cultures, to voice dissapproval, to take action without further polarizing the culture against them. Without increasing the sense of "us and them" as it's done.

And it seems to me, that statements like "then clearly the factors are more to do with the endemic origins of the community than the nationality/race or, indeed, the religion or host community" are unlikely to head in that direction.

I'm saying this thinking of my misguided past as a black-supremecist, thinking how entrenched I was in my views, and what sort of encounters with white people further alienated me.... and what sort of encounters were my salvation.

I can only assume we're all misreading each other - I've lost track at least!

I've never intended to suggest that race relations are one dimensional, or that the attitude of the host community is the only factor. There are obviously lots of variables both in how a particular group is treated, in how they behave and in how they react to a particular context.

For instance, I'd think it's so obvious as not to need stating that, for example, a middle-class well-educated Indian coming to Scotland to study medicine, or with enough financial support to start a business, will be very different and have a very different experience to a non-English-speaking, uneducated Indian coming from poverty to provide cheap labour in an ailing textile industry that promptly died. There will also be huge differences in how the host community reacts to them in each case. I don't think I've said anything that would suggest immigrant communities are homogeneous.

Nor do I think I've suggested a 'hands-off' approach to crime in any community.

However, I do think that (from a purely pragmatic point of view if nothing else) it behooves the host community to look at their own behaviour and communication to see whether they are making things worse than they need to be, especially in terms of hampering effective policing or discouraging victims from coming forward. Which I think is also part of what mdijon is saying, though going on today's performance I may be entirely wrong about that [Biased]

No, you're entirely correct.

And BTW, the rest is what I thought you were saying.

quote:
I can only assume we're all misreading each other - I've lost track at least!

It seems to be heading that way.

quote:
Nor do I think I've suggested a 'hands-off' approach to crime in any community.
Well, what remains, not at all clear to me is how you foresee being able to engage against the sort of practices that instigated this thread without some of the problems of "put your own house in order" claims emerging.

In a sense, I get the impression now that we agree on the pinpointing the problem phase, but I'm not at all clear where we stand on how to respond.

quote:
However, I do think that (from a purely pragmatic point of view if nothing else) it behooves the host community to look at their own behaviour and communication to see whether they are making things worse than they need to be, especially in terms of hampering effective policing or discouraging victims from coming forward. Which I think is also part of what mdijon is saying, though going on today's performance I may be entirely wrong about that [Biased]
So far as that goes, I think we're again in agreement.

I suppose, on reflecting, that any attempt to socially address these problems has to engage the support of near-relative communities (e.g., say, taking your example I cut, the Indian community in, say, the UK) when addressing the problems of a subsector of it, and also doing all one can to work on "hearts and minds" on the community where the problem is centred. Certainly positive race relations are needed there too. Like so many problems in society we need to use many levers to be effective.

I think that's it, that's what we're talking about.

Some of the initiatives to "win hearts and minds" seem quite contrived.... patronising even (PCs being filmed for the 9 O'clock news hanging around hindu prayer rituals and eating a curry)..... and the phrase now makes me think first of Iraq.

There is probably a parallel with evangelism. Making friends with someone to "win them for Christ" often leaves a bit of a bitter after-taste..... one would hope that if one cared enough for another individual to want to save their soul altruisticly, one would actually want to be their friend for it's own sake as well..... and perhaps this is the same.

(Only the first sentence directed at you, G Buchanan)

..never thought otherwise!

One real difficulty is discerning crossing-points: when, for example, one tips between (say) effectiveness and ineffectiveness, and challenge and confrontation. I think that your parallel with evangelisation is a very pointed one. However, even that is not quite adequate when it is going hand-in-hand with the urgency of trying to eliminate, or at least seriously reduce, criminal acts.

Also how does one continue when there is an absolute refusal, because the cultural tradition is so ingrained? Persuasion will still perhaps succeed in the long run, but it is a challenge to gauge that task well.

Posted by Russ (# 120) on :

I was going to say that there are two straw men around here.

One goes something like "immigrants are basically victims; the underlying problem is racism; what we need to do is be more accommodating and sympathetic of other cultures so that persecuted individuals feel comfortable coming to the institutions of the host country for help"

And one goes something like "the underlying problem is that non-Christian immigrants don't share our values; the intrinsic male chauvinism of some Islamic cultural practices demonstrates this; elements of Islamic culture are symbols of repression; what we need to do is to insist that immigrants adopt more western cultural ideas."

And that somewhere between surrender of all our standards and launching a new crusade (at Bradford ?) we need a middle way...

But the last few posts have been so intelligent and nuanced that maybe it doesn't need saying...

Russ

I don't know about unnecessary, Russ, sums it up nicely.

I'd like to think, though, that it isn't just finding the middle way (although that's probably what I do mean in practice) but about each side erring on the other sides behalf in attitude.

In practice, as gbuchanan hints at, where the rule of law is concerned, and individual human rights.... morality demands action.

I think, gbuchanan, one can differentiate between two situations; not to call for cultural awareness in the sentancing of murderers, the protection of the innocent.... but to reserve it for the general approach to the population, the systems put in place, the communication to persuade people to compromise their way of thinking.

This just in from Pakistan:

Pakistani Man relates the honor killings of all four of his daughters. He killed the eldest for her adultery (though this is disputed -- "Despite Ahmed's contention that Muqadas had committed adultery — a claim made by her husband — the rights commission reported that according to local people, Muqadas had fled her husband because he had abused her and forced her to work in a brick-making factory" , and then the 8, 7 and 4-year olds so that they wouldn't follow her example.

Bastard!

quote:
Bibi recounted how she was woken by a shriek as Ahmed put his hand to the mouth of his stepdaughter Muqadas and cut her throat with a machete. Bibi looked helplessly on from the corner of the room as he then killed the three girls — Bano, 8, Sumaira, 7, and Humaira, 4 — pausing between the slayings to brandish the bloodstained knife at his wife, warning her not to intervene or raise alarm.

"I was shivering with fear. I did not know how to save my daughters," Bibi, sobbing, told AP by phone from the village. "I begged my husband to spare my daughters but he said, 'If you make a noise, I will kill you.'"

"The whole night the bodies of my daughters lay in front of me," she said.

He bought the machete after prayers at the mosque.

Apparently, these crimes are rarely prosecuted in Pakistan, so the fact that he was arrested is big news.

This has nothing to do with multiculturalism or religion. This is a psychotic, sick man in a country where the law enforcement and government tend to be negligent in protecting women and children from this kind of evil father.

Thank God things appear to be changing.

Similar human rights abuses occur all over the world, muslims and non-muslims, islamic states and secular states... and the UN/international agencies/individual powerful nations seem unable to put them to rights.

It's not a sin of multiculturalism.

No, it isn't (to do with multiculturalism). But you can't just write this guy off as a sicko when this sort of thing happens all the time in Pakistan. And that mentality is exported regularly to other places where these communities form.

[typo]

And my point wasn't that multiculturalism is driving or causing honor killings or forced marriages of 13 year olds. The fault at its heart lies in parts of the Islamic community or any community that tolerates such things. My point is that multiculturalism stated as a positive value (which is mostly a good thing) blinds itself to the above-type mentality because it's too hard to just come right out and say "we aren't going to tolerate violations of women's rights in our country, no matter why you do it".

[ 29. December 2005, 13:42: Message edited by: Laura ]

I don't think even the most ardent, PC-cool supporters of multiculturalism would have any problem with the murderer being brought to justice.

I think this guy is sick, and not indicative of the state of islam - any more than T. McVeigh was normative of anything Western or Christian.

And that this kind of thing happens a lot... I'm not sure it does. Murders of children are rare in the UK - immigrant or indigenous.

I'll accept that there is a certain reticence to get involved in defending women's rights within immigrant groups. And perhaps some of that results from multiculturalist considerations. But also from the recognition that it is very difficult to get involved, and that our involvement might actually be counterproductive sometimes.

quote:
But you can't just write this guy off as a sicko when this sort of thing happens all the time in Pakistan.

What do we write these people off as?
Woman imprisoned tortured and murdered by husband and in-laws
87-year-old kills 86-year-old wife by beating and stabbing
Husband cuts throat of sunbathing wife
After failing twice to knife husband, wife attempts to hire hitman
Estranged husband suffocates sleeping wife
Husband kills wife and smuggles body to France in car boot
Man kills wife and hides body in woods
Swindon man attempts to murder his two children
Mother watches while father beats and kills 13-month-old

That was from a very quick, unscientific search, and I didn't even have to go back past October! I picked ones with no 'ethnic' component, but frankly there were only a couple of non-white sounding names, probably about the distribution you'd expect given UK demographics. Evidently this sort of thing happens all the time in the UK too.

I'm not trying to play down the seriousness of 'honour' killings in some communities, or the culpability of certain governments all over the world in not treating crime against women with the seriousness it deserves, but I do think there is a danger of focussing on something dreadful that happens in Pakistan while losing sight of the dreadful somethings that are happening on the next street, all the time.

Can we write the people in the links above off as sickos, or should we be looking for some deeper reason? What is it about white British society that makes men want to kill their wives and children in such apparent numbers? Beyond cultural trappings, is it qualitatively different from whatever makes Pakistani men do the same?

Crazy people will use whatever justification or none to do their craziness. But are these cases you cited those in which persons in authority are giving the perpetrators a pass? I looked at them, and I don't see one in which that is happening.

The honor-killing system is tolerated and even encouraged in some places, as supporting a general philosophy regarding the status, rights and purpose of women. It is one in which religion and social ethos combine fatally. These killings take place all over the world. The examples you cite are not part of that system. They are just as wrong, and just as desirable to prevent. But the perpetrators in question will be prosecuted without any sympathy given to the views behind the abuse or killing. I would imagine in Pakistan as well as anywhere else, random murder/abuse is not tolerated in the way that honor killings often are.

Look at it another way. I once defended an asylum claimant (successfully, I'm relieved to say) who came from a country in which she could receive no protection from the government from her husband's nearly constant abuse. Normally, spousal abuse is specifically not a ground for asylum, because it is not perpetrated by a state actor for reasons of the woman's membership in a political or social group. But in her case, we argued that it was as good as that, because her husband was highly placed enough that she had no recourse from court or police. They would never prosecute him, and most likely, he would finally kill her, and get away with it. In support, we had to prove that in her country, wife abuse was a staple of daytime comedy television, and provided countless examples of non-prosecution in cases of spousal murder.

Where the women have no recourse, to civil or religious courts for this sort of abuse, the government or the religious system in power itself is essentially supporting it.

And that's really my point.

[ 29. December 2005, 16:20: Message edited by: Laura ]

quote:
Crazy people will use whatever justification or none to do their craziness. But are these cases you cited those in which persons in authority are giving the perpetrators a pass? I looked at them, and I don't see one in which that is happening.

I agree with you entirely. Governments like the ones you cite should be subject to whatever trade and diplomatic sanctions are available, IMO, as well as carrots like EU membership (that's encouraging Turkey to put its house in order). And we should support organisations like Amnesty when they focus on these abuses. But in the end, short of invading, what can we do? They have to sort out their own problems.

In terms of domestic policy, though, I simply haven't seen any evidence that ethnic groups in this country are being 'given a pass' to murder and abuse (although - quite seperately from this discussion - I've always suspected that cases of longstanding domestic abuse in all communities do usually involve some level of social or peer-group acceptance).

'Honour' killings are investigated and the perpetrators charged and (hopefully) convicted. Muslim schools are subject to the same inspections and standards as the rest, as Louise's Dundee example showed. Services for battered women are available to everyone, and great efforts are made to provide information about them to all communities in all languages.

I'm not claiming perfection, or that it's easy - but short of putting CCTV in everybody's homes, what else is to be done?

With reference to your asylum example (well done, by the way, I think you'd have been lucky to win that case here) I think it's worth mentioning that within my memory wife abuse was a staple of comedy television here, as was racism. The police would have been very unlikely to respond to a 'domestic matter' with more than a smile and a shrug. When my dad first hit my mum, in the early 70s, she stomped off home to her parents - who put her straight on the bus home with instructions get on with marriage. My dad is not - I must emphasise - a crazy person. He very rarely hit my mum during 25 years of marriage and there was never a pattern of abuse - but he was representative of a time when it was acceptable, even expected, for a working-class man to physically chastise his wife.

We've moved away from that remarkably quickly, to a state where most agencies and most people accept that domestic abuse is wrong and largely only crazy people beat their spouses. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know already, but my point (finally!) is that I see no reason why people from other cultures with different opinions who come here won't respond to the same pressures and the same legal structures, without any need for special measures.

quote:
With reference to your asylum example (well done, by the way, I think you'd have been lucky to win that case here) I think it's worth mentioning that within my memory wife abuse was a staple of comedy television here, as was racism. ...

We were extraordinarily lucky to win it here, actually. It was granted at the discretionary administrative stage within the agency responsible where it could be done without a court decision that would have established a precedent.
In general, courts have refused to recognize such as grounds for political asylum, because if we called domestic abuse a ground for political asylum, we'd be up to our ears in asylees, wife abuse being as you note a form of entertainment in many countries.

quote:
is that I see no reason why people from other cultures with different opinions who come here won't respond to the same pressures and the same legal structures, without any need for special measures.

And that was my point in starting the thread, that we need to be vigilant about not letting any concern for interference in another's culture stand in the way, in our own countries, of protecting women's rights and preventing such abuse. And further, putting political pressure, like that which has been brought to bear against genital mutilation against honor killings, forced arranged marriage of 13 year olds and the lik in other countries.

I'm unaware of any situation where considerations related to multiculturalism have prevented prosecution of a murderer, child abuser or allowed female genital mutilation to go ahead.

I think one can make a case that not enough work is being done within immigrant communities to encourage women to get to work - report abuse to the police - become literate - and one could make some sort of case that our views on multiculturalism get in the way. (I still would argue, mind, but at least there's some sort of case there.)

mdjon:

With all due respect, the article cited in the OP describes a situation in Germany in which, to cite one example, the state is funding schools in which Islamic fundamentalists teach girls this philosophy of women which supports a parallel society which German laws largely do not reach. I would say that the state is in this case directly implicit in teaching girls not to pick up that telephone, not to protest.

I'll quote the OP again:

quote:
This story in the New York Times, The New Berlin Wall (not sure how long it's available for free) describes how the work of three women Muslim dissidents have exposed the parallel society that has grown up in Germany among Muslim communities in Berlin, in which girls are very frequently forced into marriage pre-minority, girls are imported from Turkey and elsewhere to be pressed into forced marriages, and the official permission to have Islamic-approved instruction (in state schools) has fueled a rise in honor killings for dissident women, and full veiling and early school dropout and marriage for girls. In "tolerating" all of these things, Germany, and any western country that permits this parallel society to be protected in these activities (I'm especially struck by the state schools being used as vehicles of shari'a) we are failing the girls and women growing up among us. These girls and woman are being denied those freedoms to which we are all entitled.
The article sets forth the great discomfort western countries have in interfering with these communities, as well as the practical difficulties in doing so (which are enormous). The discomfort stems in part from the tolerance that, especially in Germany, is embedded in the laws.

I think we're talking at cross-purposes about multiculturalism again, however. I'm talking about the concern for interference that stems from wholly laudable goals, but when observed to the extreme, allows a lot of really bad stuff to go on unchecked by the country's laws.

[ 30. December 2005, 13:20: Message edited by: Laura ]

How is this "paralel society" of (one kind of) Muslim education any different from the paralel society of (one kind of) Christian education that some Americans bring up their children in through home-schooling and the like? Does the state have the right to remove these children from their parent's schools and force them to go to government schools?

How does it differ morally from the paralel society of (another kind of) Christian education run by the Roman Catholic church all over the world (and supposedly to drastically divisive effect in parts of Ireland and Scotland). How does it differ morally from the paralel society of Mormon education run by LDS all over the USA, that is in fact the dominant education system in parts of Utah? How does it differ morally from the paralel society of so-called "public school" education by which a significant proportion of the upper middle classes of England ensure that their sons are brought up in a way utterly different from mainstream English society?

quote:
How is this "paralel society" of (one kind of) Muslim education any different from the paralel society of (one kind of) Christian education that some Americans bring up their children in through home-schooling and the like? Does the state have the right to remove these children from their parent's schools and force them to go to government schools?

In the US, these schools cannot receive gov't funds for any religion-related function. Home-schooling is not funded by the state at all.

I'm a litte surprised at the drive to moral equivalence here, especially in you, ken. Eton is the same as Islamic teaching a girl that she is her father's and then husband's property and must act accordingly? I'd argue a huge moral difference here.

The equivalence is in the state not picking and choosing which subcultures to tolerate or subsidise.

There are countries in which the kind of Muslim education talked about here would be illegal - for example Turkey (where you could go to prison for it) or Britain (where the school could get closed down for not teaching an adequate curriculum).

RC or evangelical Christian schools would also be illegal in Turkey, though not England where they would be subsidised by the government if they had open recruitment and taught the national curriculum)

In the USA I assume both would be equally tolerated? A school like the one described would not get government money, but would not be closed down?

I'd missed that part - or forgotten that part - of the OP.

But I'd argue the main problem here is not multiculturalism - the problem is state funding of any religious school.

To make a link between multiculturalism/allowing islamic schools and forced marriage and honour killings requires one of two arguments; either that the islamic schools in question have demonstrable promoted forced marriage or honour killing, and the government done nothing about it because of multiculturalism; or that islam per se inevitably promotes honour killing and forced marriage.

I don't accept the latter, and I'd want to see the evidence for the former.

Posted by GoodCatholicLad (# 9231) on :

quote:

LutheranChik states[Political incorrectness alert]

"Speaking from an American perspective: Our country is, or at least used to be, a country where citizenship was based on acceptance of a shared vision of rights/freedoms/responsibilities. Persons emigrating to the United States used to have to make an effort to indicate that they were willing to "get with the program" insofar as embracing the values of our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Why would Islamists want to live in a western society whose values they despise? If people don't like the concepts of secular government, gender equity, etc., etc. -- then for pete's sake don't live here. I hear Iran is lovely in the spring. If they're so freaking religious, taking a cut in income in order to live among others of the One True Faith would be, I think, a small price to pay for their integrity.

I think Germany's situation is complicated by residual shame about the Nazi times, and the tendency of some groups to exploit that by crying "Racism!" if the German authorities try to enforce the law evenly."

I love it! you always get to the point with no BS! ICAM
James

quote:
quote:
I remember being on a discussion forum, talking about multiculturalism, where one person kept insisting that one value system is just as good as the other.

As far as I remember I've never met anyone who actually really argued for that.

If that sort of immoral stupidity is what the right-wing media mean by "multicultural" than they are right to oppose it. But its not what most of us mean by it nor what happens in the places most of us live.

Perhaps you have never been to Berkeley California because I hear this rhetoric all the time

We get it down here too. It is common to hear a theory dismissed as "colonialist" which is really a meaningless pejorative. As it is frequently not linked in with any objective measure of whether A is better than B, one assumes that "one system is as good as another" is assumed.

I frequently hear variants of this on the campus of the university ranked tenth best in Asia / Pacific.

Partly this is produced by the Maori renaissance. Partly by postcolonial guilt, which I'm sure there is plenty of in Germany.

Probably as commonly as multiculturalism is dismissed as politically correct and pandering to human rights abuses.

Neither approach is terribly helpful to the debate.

Similarly the suggestion that islamists stay in Iran; hardly the point here.

Posted by Primrose Path (# 9137) on :

On a (zoological) research trip to a remote region of Papua New Guinea where women still wore grass skirts and nothing else, I was told that everyone was totally shocked by the shorts I and another female team member were wearing. Apparently in local culture the area between the a woman's hips and the knees are totally taboo, in the same way as breasts are in Western culture. (The same does not apply to men, except in relation to the penis, which is usually tucked into an enormously phallic penis-guard. Or shorts). Fortunately no-one reckoned we were worthy of an "honour killing", possibly because with our anemic see-through skin, dead-pale eyes and lank drowned-persons hair we looked more like zombies than real people. (Children would run terrified from villages at our arrival).

My point is that the hijab - and ideas of modesty - are matters of culture and habituation. I really don't think it's helpful to over-react to the hijab (or any other dress code). The issue we should be fighting for is the proper exercise of those fundamental rights and freedoms on which our society is based, not the dress or the religion. There are plenty of feisty, liberated, and powerful women who are observant muslims or catholics (eg. Benazir Bhutto; Mary Robinson.)

The EU (if not the Uk) has a constitution and legal structure that bans forced marriages and honor killings. The problem is not the burka, but finding ways (and the will) to enforce these without infringing the concomitant right to privacy and family life. Freedom of religious expression should not be allowed to condone or mask rape, torture and false imprisonment and I think EU law enforcement bodies are finally starting to lose their shyness on this point.

I suspect the most effective long-term solution is to give all children the education they need to realise they are being opressed and, hopefully, fight it from within. This means obligatory, heavily state-supervised education in all schools - faith based, state, and private - about:
(1) the legal rights, freedoms, and obligations of the country these children find themselves in, including divorce; and
(2) the language those rights are written in.

Parents who unreasonably prevent their children from receiving this education should be prosecuted and the children, if necessary, taken into care. What the children wear during education - hijab, school uniform, grass skirts - really isn't an issue (as long as they're not cold).

The other necessary limb, as many posters have pointed out, is to crack down hard on racial discrimination in the job market, so that these kids can get jobs and lives - or escape to liberal relatives with jobs and lives - far away from their families. If they want to keep wearing the burka then, why not?

I also a think a clear message needs to go out to all communities (host as well as immigrant)that multiculturalism involves compromise and loss of some dearly-loved Old Country habits and customs, in service to the Constitution. I think Europe has treasured a sort of fairytale idea that this could be avoided.

sorry about the double-post - but is anyone else old enough to remember the feminist Germain Greer's wonderful tirade against the journalist Fay Weldon: "Bird's nest hair ... fuck-me shoes ... brain rotted by lipstick".
Some of the anti-hijab tirades reminded me of it, that's all; as I suspect it was what Fay wrote that really upset Germaine, not her clothes.

Germaine - yet another example of a person who escaped an oppressive and misogynistic upbringing through education and a job.

quote:
Originally posted by Primrose Path:
I suspect the most effective long-term solution is to give all children the education they need to realise they are being opressed and, hopefully, fight it from within. This means obligatory, heavily state-supervised education in all schools - faith based, state, and private - about:
(1) the legal rights, freedoms, and obligations of the country these children find themselves in, including divorce; and
(2) the language those rights are written in.

Parents who unreasonably prevent their children from receiving this education should be prosecuted and the children, if necessary, taken into care.

You may be right that this is the most effective long-term solution. But a country where that was thoroughly carried out would be one where home schooling was illegal, and private schools pretty much as heavily legislated-for as state ones. The state would be able to teach all children pretty much anything it liked, which might start off as anti-racism and good citizenship but could later become something more like Nazi-ism or Newspeak. And nobody would be allowed to opt out. That degree of societal control by the government is not a country where I'd want to live.

quote:
Posted by mrs Tea:
But a country where that was thoroughly carried out would be one where home schooling was illegal, and private schools pretty much as heavily legislated-for as state ones. The state would be able to teach all children pretty much anything it liked, which might start off as anti-racism and good citizenship but could later become something more like Nazi-ism or Newspeak. And nobody would be allowed to opt out. That degree of societal control by the government is not a country where I'd want to live.

Are you so sure you don't?

I meant to include homeschoolers. In the USA they are required to follow a basic curriculum (people are supposed to check up on this); and I believe they are eventually subject to the same public exams as the other schools in order to claim high school graduation.

I'm not advocating special classes for immigrants; think all kids should be taught this stuff as standard. No future voter should leave school without understanding how the constitution affects them, and how the political system works (and how they can affect it). How can this be controversial, unless the system itself sucks? (In which case, shouldn't it be discussed out in the open by educators?) And I'm sorry, the Story of the Magna Carta and Roundheads and Cavaliers won't do it - teenage school leavers need to understand the modern system, as simply as possible, and enlivened with plenty of topical class discussion. And if it's impossible for educators to agree on the basics, well - how the */!* does anyone manage to govern fairly, or control the governers adequately?

Equally, I feel that no future parent or spouse should leave school ignorant of the realities of marital law and the welfare system; as with sex education, TV, peers and parents are not always an accurate guide. But as you've pointed out, teaching this would be even more controversial than sex education.

As someone else pointed out, many immigrants have backgrounds of poverty and poor education, and I'd say many of the issues in the OP arise from that rather than religion. Leading on from that, I'd like to point out that very similar problems are rife among the catholic and protestant Caucasian poor in sink estates around Glasgow. Plenty escape this every year through the excellent Scottish state education system - but leave behind many who continue as before. Why? Why are levels of religious hatred, nepotism and corruption in these districts still so high? Is education the answer? Money?(surely not, millions have been redistributed to cronies and relatives already) Or is it something else?

If a society can't set out some simple common goals, independent of ethnic or cultural background, which are uncontroversial enough to be enforced on everybody (including immigrants)without apology, how is it going to cope with the tide of new citizens with very different goals and customs? The US has a bland, secular and materialistic "American Way" underwritten by very strong ideas about free speech and welfare. Ataturk came up with the Turkish "secular" state; Iraq came up with a dictatorship.

Is pragmatism the UK way? If so, how can that be expressed to its newest citizens in a way that sounds fair?

quote:
Are you so sure you don't?

I meant to include homeschoolers. In the USA they are required to follow a basic curriculum (people are supposed to check up on this); and I believe they are eventually subject to the same public exams as the other schools in order to claim high school graduation.

... think all kids should be taught this stuff as standard. ... How can this be controversial, unless the system itself sucks? (In which case, shouldn't it be discussed out in the open by educators?) ... teenage school leavers need to understand the modern system, as simply as possible, and enlivened with plenty of topical class discussion. And if it's impossible for educators to agree on the basics, well - how the */!* does anyone manage to govern fairly, or control the governers adequately?

... As someone else pointed out, many immigrants have backgrounds of poverty and poor education, and I'd say many of the issues in the OP arise from that rather than religion. Leading on from that, I'd like to point out that very similar problems are rife among the catholic and protestant Caucasian poor in sink estates

... If a society can't set out some simple common goals, independent of ethnic or cultural background, which are uncontroversial enough to be enforced on everybody (including immigrants)without apology, how is it going to cope with the tide of new citizens with very different goals and customs? ... Is pragmatism the UK way? If so, how can that be expressed to its newest citizens in a way that sounds fair?

These are all very fair questions! My understanding of the UK education system is that it's incumbent on parents (not the state) to provide an education that is adequate and appropriate for their child. If they choose to send their child to a state or private but state-inspected school, that is enough to fulfil the obligation. If they don't, the state has the right to check that the education provided is adequate, but not to make any demands about the curriculum followed. When I was at school not that long ago, there was no National Curriculum (an invention of the late 80s or early 90s): the only subject state schools were obliged to teach was Religious Education. In practice of course, the demands of universities and employers meant that everyone studied for a core of generally-recognised exams so pretty much everyone had to cover similar ground, and the large majority of schools and Local Education Authorities weren't so daft as not to teach what most people would consider "the basics". But this took place with hardly any state prescription.

Yes, I'd agree that kids should be taught certain things as standard, but I'd worry about the level of prescription that says they must be. In UK state schools nowadays, a Citizenship curriculum is generally agreed upon and inspected, but I understand it can't be enforced in private schools. Of course most private schools teach something pretty similar, and I know of Christian schools workers who regularly visit private Muslim schools to teach the kids about Christianity -- very diplomatically sensitive work!

In practice, I don't think what goes on in private Muslim schools is terribly significant to this debate though. Not many recent immigrants can afford anything but the local state school. What happens there, especially if Muslims make up the majority of its pupils, is much more relevant.

If society can't agree on some simple common goals -- I don't know how it's going to cope. Yes, as you say, I think pragmatism is the UK way. Generally we get by, but the 7 July bombings exposed the weaknesses, especially as on 6 July the perpetrators had all appeared to be well assimilated into mainstream UK society. We've been searching for answers for the last 6 months. All suggestions gratefully received, but one answer most Britons aren't prepared to accept is turning a fairly free society into a totalitarian state. Where you draw the line is a matter of fierce current politics...

quote:
Mrs. Tea wrote:
...but one answer most Britons aren't prepared to accept is turning a fairly free society into a totalitarian state.

We have similar concerns over here with the US Patriot Act - but having recently moved here from Britain I worry that Britain is much closer to being a totalitarian state. I can't imagine the revelation that the Prime Minister (or MI6) was routinely listening in to UK telephone calls in a bid to prevent terrorism would raise more than an eyebrow in the UK, but it has sparked a firestorm here. Part of this is because constitutional rights and freedoms form such a large part of the US school curriculum - ad nauseum, really - those who manage to stay awake at school are very clued up on what is and is not allowed. This just isn't so in Britain - partly because the unwritten British constitution is fluid and can be hard to pin down. That's why UK lawyers are using the European Charter of Human Rights more and more - but unfortunately it's not nearly as cut and dried as the US Constitution. So it's harder - and more expensive - to use it as a curb on state power - and to teach. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be taught in schools, quite the reverse!

An example: here
A student was suspended from school for speaking Spanish in the hallway. This particular link doesn't mention that the student's immigrant laboror father had just passed his US citizenship exam and therefore knew immediately that the suspension was an unconstitutional one. It was the father that raised the legal complaint and had his son reinstated.

[ 07. January 2006, 15:29: Message edited by: Callan ]

quote:

An example: here
A student was suspended from school for speaking Spanish in the hallway. This particular link doesn't mention that the student's immigrant laboror father had just passed his US citizenship exam and therefore knew immediately that the suspension was an unconstitutional one. It was the father that raised the legal complaint and had his son reinstated.

Can I just note that I love stories like this? Some of our very best citizens in the sense of actually knowing what citizenship entails and valuing it, are our most recent immigrants, and not just because they have to learn it for the exam, but because a lot of them think it really matters. As it does, of course.

Now, the problem that is raised vis-a-vis ensuring free and comprehensive tightly supervised education is that for similar reasons it would never fly here. You have the right to send your children to schools that impart Christian doctrine and or teach that evolution is evil or teach that the end times are near, or you can do it at home. Forcible public education in which a certain agenda is delivered would be seen as totalitarian by many, including myself.

It is a balancing test -- I wouldn't support state funding of a school that taught that evolution was evil and wrong or the end times were near. I do support vibrant free speech so that when your miseducated children get free they can hear other ideas and noone can stop that from happening.

Back to the OP issue though, I do think that concern for not interfering with religious exercise has protected certain darker practices in certain immigrant comunities. Without saying that it is the fault of Islam, you can still say that laudable concern for tolerance has had this darker side. I'd like to know what we can do about it.

It's very instructive to look at FGM, actually, because what's really made changes in this has been international health and local health education on the problems associated with FGM, along with a shift to denouncing it by Islamic leaders (just heard a good story on this on BBC World Service, actually). In lots of places, the practice has fallen wayyy off. A lot of the initial furor was generated by international recognition and protest, but the changes were made at the local and national levels in the affected countries. But people had to be willing to get involved.

So what is needed to improve the lot of these young girls in our own midst and in other places? What can we do? Because I do think it's an indictment of our liberal societies if there are 13 year olds being forced into marriage and motherhood t pre-minority ages, and being taught that they have no rights and are property. How can we reach these people?

[ 07. January 2006, 15:30: Message edited by: Callan ]

I think they do get reached; perhaps not as much as we'd like, and not enough to stop all the abuse .... either way, I'm pretty sure the way you to reach them is not by attacking the name or concept of multiculturalism.

quote:
Can I just note that I love stories like this? Some of our very best citizens in the sense of actually knowing what citizenship entails and valuing it, are our most recent immigrants, and not just because they have to learn it for the exam, but because a lot of them think it really matters. As it does, of course.

But it looks weirtd to us, not because we have a constitutional right to speak any language we like, but because we can't imagine a school punishing someone for speaking their own language. It seems absurd to us. Even though it happened in parts of Scotland and Wales less than a century ago.

Or perhaps, come to think of it, precisely because it used to happen here. It seems old-fashioned. Something we've left behind. We don't so that sort of thing any more. Any more than we stone women for marrying the wrong man. OK, we never actually did do that, but you know what I mean.

quote:
I think they do get reached; perhaps not as much as we'd like, and not enough to stop all the abuse .... either way, I'm pretty sure the way you to reach them is not by attacking the name or concept of multiculturalism.

Mdijon -- I think I suggested ages back on this thread that we were not apparently talking the same language when we used the word "multiculturalism". Can we not let the word go and try to focus on the issue? I've been trying to do that, but every single time you come back and post, "yes, but you can't blame this on multiculturalism (your definition of it)". If you redefine multiculturalism in such a way that it cannot be responsible for or even inform something that doesn't work in a positive way every time, the debate is pointless. In this country, multiculturalism (understood as a general warm and fuzzy feeling toward a society in which many cultures are embraced and tolerated, which is, generally, imho a Good Thing) has also sometimes supported a balkanization that is not helpful to democratic values.

But I don't think that we're going to find what you seem to demand, that is, an empirical study that demonstrates conclusively that for X value of a quantity "multiculturalism" (defined as you define it), there will be a corresponding Y value of tolerated child abuse. Does that mean that we cannot even consider the role that our own hesitation in criticising other cultures plays in tolerating such child abuse? Nor consider what we can do to improve meaningful multiculturalism while demanding that those communities that live among us not marry off their 13 year old daughters in violation of our laws? You seem to be saying that there's no problem here, or at least, nothing that really amounts to anything. Keep in mind that I'm not some Daily Telegraph reading anti-immigrant -- I'm a card carrying member of the liberal elite that the folks in power in the US love to hate. And I think my own peer group has inadvertently contributed to this problem out of well-meaning intention. Which I feel responsible for to some degree. So this thread is meant to criticise me, myself and my political compatriots, not Bad Evil Muslims.

I'm genuinely at a loss at how to proceed here.

quote:
quote:

But it looks weirtd to us, not because we have a constitutional right to speak any language we like, but because we can't imagine a school punishing someone for speaking their own language. It seems absurd to us. Even though it happened in parts of Scotland and Wales less than a century ago.
I can't imagine it, either. I thought we didn't do this sort of thing, anymore either. That and the fact that it's plainly unconstitutional are what make it stick out.

But I forgot. There aren't prejudiced people
who do dumb-ass things in British schools anymore, ever. [Big Grin]

Posted by Zorro (# 9156) on :

Multiculturalism's something which Glasgow's having a pretty big problem with at the moment, largely because we have, as far as I'm aware, the 2nd largest immigrant population outside of London.

I'm all for multiculturalism, I mean that sincerely, but often it's tested by the groups who move here (the majority of my experience is Pakistani Muslim guys, as they're the largest immigrant group at our school).

For example, it's well known that Pakistani boys are brought up to think that a) Women are inferior, and that b) they are superior to anyone else they meet, with the exception of other muslim Pakistani guys.

It's not 3 weeks since a boy, 14, at a secondary school near me was macheted for no other reason than he was an Indian Sikh, and the gang who did it (they came into the school) were muslim Pakistanis.

2 months ago, I was walking across the playground carrying the rugby ball, talking to my mate. We're both decent, intelligent guys, and are known to be vehemently anti racist. One of the muslim Pakistani guys turns up, backed by his mates (about 20, most of whom I get on with very well) and hooks me in the face, before stealing the ball. I turned to hit him before reconsidering as I knew too well that if I touched him his mates would forget our friendship and take me out, and they're probably armed, (I've been on trains with the same pakistani guys and seen the knives they carry.)

Also it's well known that even if it's one of those guys who's done something wrong they'll happily blame it on a white guy. And if said white guy argues with this, they'll go to the management staff in the school and say "Oh yeah, well he called me a paki so and so." At this point that staff person will forget all previous knowledge that "Zorro's a nice kid, does well at school, and has been known to stand out against racism," and go down the "That racist scum, we can't have this," road, and Zorro ends up suspended.

I'm not fabricating this, I've seen it happen and it's not funny. I've seen some majorly decent people be totally dumped by the authorities in the school and end up in massive strife. The problem I think we face is that, and I won't pretend it's not present in the white community, there are those on both sides who feel "this is my place, get out." You cannot have multiculturalism in a community where one side totally reuses to accept the validity of the others status as human beings.

quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
I'm all for multiculturalism, I mean that sincerely, but often it's tested by the groups who move here (the majority of my experience is Pakistani Muslim guys, as they're the largest immigrant group at our school).

For example, it's well known that Pakistani boys are brought up to think that a) Women are inferior, and that b) they are superior to anyone else they meet, with the exception of other muslim Pakistani guys.

That's so weird -- I was just listening to a friend, a teacher, telling me exactly this. She adores all children, and is a gifted teacher (and a card-carrying liberal) in a very diverse district, and was saying it's the Pakistani boys she's having the hardest time reaching as a group, and she doesn't know what to do. They don't take her seriously, treating her with disrespect even at young ages, explicitly because she's a woman and they don't have to. They're generally unpleasant to the girls in the class. But they treat the few male teachers with respect.

Here's where I think you really need to demand respect and get the parents to back you up (if you can get them to come in.....)

quote:
I think I suggested ages back on this thread that we were not apparently talking the same language when we used the word "multiculturalism". Can we not let the word go and try to focus on the issue? I've been trying to do that, but every single time you come back and post, "yes, but you can't blame this on multiculturalism (your definition of it)".

The trouble is, when you (or rather when the conservative press who are always on about it) start going on about "multiculturalism" being to blame what we hear is "immigrants and ethnic minorities are dangerous and should be forced to conform to the established ideas".

If you said "locking girls up, forcing them to marry men they don't like, and killing them if they try to run away is wrong and people who do it should be punished" no-one would disagree with you. (No-one who didn't need locking up anyway).

Instead of blaming the behaviour of these criminals it sounds as if you are blaming political or religious beliefs which have nothing to do with their crimes. So it gets people's backs up.

Also the attempted redefinition of the word "multiculturalism" is itself part of a right-wing strategy to control the language of politics. A successful one so far in the USA, and partly so after here, with their complete destruction of the once useful word "liberal", the demonisation of the word "socialism" (which we simply can;t use when taling to Americans any more) and the absurd currency of their pathetic whinges around the phrase "politically correct" (Actually we lefties never said "politically correct" in the first place - when we made those jokes we would have said "ideologically sound" - but they landed their punches well)
. Some of us don't want to lose yet another once useful word to them.

So why not drop the word? You are the one insisting on using it in this context.

Well, it's part of the OP, now, but I've actually been trying to drop it, and not use it very much on the thread. I'm just not sure what to replace it with. "Excessive sensitivity to possible accusations of insensitivity?" ("ESPAS"?)

Also, why do we let the right control the terms of the debate? We have to be able to criticise ourselves, even using the terms the right uses to vilify the left (and everyone else) or we lose some credibility. IMHO, of course. Political correctness is a good example. There is too much of it. So I call due sensitivity something different, but criticise political correctness when I see it. I haven't a lot of patience for euphemisms as it is.

[ 03. January 2006, 17:41: Message edited by: Laura ]

Jonathan Sacks, the Chief Rabbi of the Hebrew Congregation in Britain, has been writing a lot about multiculturalism in Britain recently. Here's a thoughtful and thought-provoking example. I like his analogy of society as a hotel:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1072-1805541,00.html

I don't think anyone expects current immigrants to assimilate to the extent that Sacks describes; but the point about having something worthy to assimilate towards rings true.

Correction: lots of people probably expect immigrants to assimilate just as Jonathan Sacks describes; I don't.

quote:
Well, it's part of the OP, now, but I've actually been trying to drop it, and not use it very much on the thread. I'm just not sure what to replace it with. "Excessive sensitivity to possible accusations of insensitivity?" ("ESPAS"?)

Also, why do we let the right control the terms of the debate?

I rather like ESPAS [Razz]

I think the problem is that when you use the term, your point is always going to fall into the chasm between those who hear multiculturalism as 'a free pass for foriegners to kill my cat' and those of us who hear criticism of multiculturalism as code for 'Pakis Go Home'.

Then whatever it is you're trying to debate gets lost in a revival of the same argument.

quote:
Mdijon -- I think I suggested ages back on this thread that we were not apparently talking the same language when we used the word "multiculturalism". Can we not let the word go and try to focus on the issue? I've been trying to do that, but every single time you come back and post, "yes, but you can't blame this on multiculturalism (your definition of it)". If you redefine multiculturalism in such a way that it cannot be responsible for or even inform something that doesn't work in a positive way every time, the debate is pointless. In this country, multiculturalism (understood as a general warm and fuzzy feeling toward a society in which many cultures are embraced and tolerated, which is, generally, imho a Good Thing) has also sometimes supported a balkanization that is not helpful to democratic values. ......I'm genuinely at a loss at how to proceed here.

Well, I must say I missed that.... but either way, if a thread entitled "Failing...in the name of Multiculturalism" starts up again with a story about one of the most sickening 'honour' killings, the knee jerk response is quite difficult to stop.

I'll admit to finding it difficult to refocus under the same OP, but I'll deny redefining Multiculturalism in a way that only permits positive things coming from it.

Either way, on your definition of something "not helpful to democratic values" I'm still completely unclear as to whether this aspect of multiculturalism is actually responsible for any of the human rights denials we're discussing on the thread. That is happens in an immigrant community is clearly part of the problem, but what aspect of whatever is called multiculturalism that contributes to this still isn't clear to me.... maybe it's been spelt out and I've missed it.... humour me and let's try again.

Posted by IanB (# 38) on :

It would be a shame if this interesting thread got bogged down because of definitional problems. I don't know if the following might help clear that, or sink it without trace, but anyway here goes -

Ken writes:
quote:
Also the attempted redefinition of the word "multiculturalism" is itself part of a right-wing strategy to control the language of politics. A successful one so far in the USA, and partly so after here, with their complete destruction of the once useful word "liberal", the demonisation of the word "socialism" (which we simply can;t use when taling to Americans any more) and the absurd currency of their pathetic whinges around the phrase "politically correct" (Actually we lefties never said "politically correct" in the first place - when we made those jokes we would have said "ideologically sound" - but they landed their punches well)
. Some of us don't want to lose yet another once useful word to them.

Whilst I share your distaste for the British press, Ken, and mourn the passing of the once-useful word "liberal" - now seemingly little more than a tribal identifier - frankly I can't go along with the rest of it. For a start, it looks suspiciously like a conspiracy theory, and they have an unerring track record of being usually wrong. But more importantly, the facts just don't support it. Yes, of course there are right-wing opponents, but in fact the matter of definition is being purued primarily by academia in sociology studies, not the press. And the most recent criticisms of multiculturalism have come from the centre-left, such as in Goodhart's critique. But in saying that, it's perhaps important to look at what is being criticised and what isn't.

What isn't being criticised is the desire of any nation to develop a working strategy whereby a resident majority population can interact productively with any number of incoming ones, or resident minority ones.

Those who categorise these things tend to use 3 analytical categories:

1) A dominant culture paradigm, whereby minorities are expected to conform themselves to the dominant paradigm. France would be an example here.

2) A "melting pot" paradigm, whereby minorities are expected to interact with the majority in order to develop a new culture that would then become predominant, albeit constantly evolving. The USA is usually held up as an example of this one. Finally,

3) A multicultural paradigm. This rejects the concept of a predominant culture altogether. You can probably subdivide this into weak multiculturalism, which would agree that statistically one culture may predominate, and strong multiculturalism, which would take steps to ensure that no single culture could predominate. Because it is a negative definition, very different national approaches could be classified as being multicultural. Canada and the UK are usually put in here.

These are just social-science type categorizations, so it would be a mistake to get hung up on precision and possible ideas of underlying drivers. But to understand why why one would come up with an idea like multiculturalism, I think you need to look at the history of Canada, where it was first articulated.

So much for what people are talking about, in the UK discussion at least (and these definitions or something like them seem to be used equally in North America). The centre-left critique, (which has subsequently been taken up by figures such as Trevor Phillips and John Sentamu), seems to have been kicked off by an article in Prospect Magazine by David Goodhart back in Feb 2004. Unfortunately only the first few lines seem to be available without a paying subscription.

In brief, though, he points out that there is an inherent tension in multiculturalism that any broadly left-wing sympathiser needs to come to grips with - that is that solidarity and diversity are here in opposition. Traditionally the left has been interested in both, but here you run the risk of pursuing one at the expense of the other. Pursue diversity to an extreme and you risk losing cohesion altogether. The article is long and covers numerous bases besides this, but you do need to read it if you want to understand the sort of arguments currently being deployed.

In fact, Goodhart recommends a change from multiculturalism towards the "melting-pot" ideal, where at least there is a positive ideal to aim at, but in doing so he does mention some critiques of the US melting-pot approach, so it may be well worth non-UK members pursuing this too.

I also think - going beyond Goodhart now - that it is relevant that the Iraqi war also falls into this timeframe, and questions of a multicultural nature present themselves rather obviously here too. Will a supervening sense of common purpose win out, perhaps making it look more like category 2)? - if not it will look more like category 3) and continuing hostilities.

And it is also sobering to consider that the original history of apartheid has some disturbing parallels, and some lessons need to be learned from that before unqualified support is given to multiculturalism. That at least demonstrated that in the absence of moderate socio-economic equity, things are liable to go from bad to worse.

Untrammelled multiculturalism is potentially very dangerous to minorities, and I think Laura's OP, highlighting a tangible example, is timely.

Ian

I've really dragged this one out, and for that I'm sorry. I've been back to re-read the OP again a few times during the thread, and after IanB's post I've been back yet again.

And I think I'm going to have to admit there really is a point here that I've not properly digested until now.

But firstly, I've been talking as if I somehow represent the minority people's take on multiculturalism. That clearly isn't so. IanB quotes both Trevor Phillips (who I don't have so much time for) and Sentamu (who I have great respect for) who disagree with me.

If one finds oneself swimming against one's learned betters it is very rarely correct to persist. In this case, however, I think I still disagree... although I feel myself crumbling a bit.

Secondly, I do now see that if Islamic schools are operating in Berlin, with teaching in Turkish, without proper inspection and supervision, then students are getting a sub-standard education. If the state is failing to intervene, it is likely that concerns about "tolerance" and "multi-culturalism" are likely to be partly to blame.

However, I think the link between that and honour killings is very weak. The article refers to these schools as "fuelling honour killings" and I think that's unlikely, although I accept that a girl in such a school is not going to report sexual abuse, for instance, to her teacher.

So I accept there are sins to lay at the door of multi-culturalism.

What I don't accept is that the worst excesses (killings, child abuse, FGM) in islamic society can be counted among these.

There are other factors; if one funds RC and C of E schools, it's hard to refuse islamic schools.

I would also blame years of dreadful race relations - abuses, riots, discrimination; and eye for eye between the communities - that now results in authority finding it very difficult to constructively engage communities.

Multiculturalism is part of the expression of these difficult relationship - and as such can get blamed for many ills that go much deeper.

Hrmph. He listens to ++Sentamu but not me. [Big Grin] I guess that's what the mitre and a life of struggle gets one.

mdijon: I think you've got ahold of what I think is the central problem, and I'm certainly not going to disagree with you. I will go so far as to allow that the link with honor killings may not be as strong as the link with tolerating other more pervasive but less extreme forms of oppression of women. Though, upon reflection, I'm not sure that the lesser but more pervasive erosion of women's rights in that context is not the more sinister in terms of impact, when purveyed by gov't funded foreign-language schools.

And I'll say again that I think the shift against FGM even in some countries where it has been widely practiced, is one of the world's growing success stories of cooperation between medical folks, activists and religious leaders, in terms of women's rights. I'd like to see honor killings go the same way.

Well, thank you for your patience Laura.

It's perhaps worth thinking about why FGM has been dealt with in such a different atmosphere. There are few cries of "foul" or "intolerance" from representatives of any community regarding the intervention of the UN and other Western based agencies. It's not as if gains here have been made as a result of a radically different approach, or particular cultural sensitivity. Why the difference?

On the other hand, maybe it's not a good time to kick start the thread or start another multiculturalism/immigrants/prime directive type thread just yet. Perhaps I'll cogitate a bit first.

BTW, it's not just his hat, though. And I might not listen to him that much more than I listen to you.

© Ship of Fools 2016