Thread: Purgatory: Just Wars? Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001013

Posted by Llareggub (# 10210) on :

Something that has concerned me for some time now is the concept of a just war. A number of threads make reference to the concept but, as far as I can ascertain and I am, admittedly, relatively new to The Ship, it has not been discussed as a concept in its own right.

Can there be a just war? Perhaps there can, but I am not convinced. And even if wars can sometimes be just, it’s only in very limited circumstances and subject to conditions much more stringent than are typically applied to decisions to go to war. Subsequently, most wars are unjust.

Is such a view non-controversial?

[ 14. February 2006, 03:47: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

Posted by Zorro (# 9156) on :

I think that there are just wars, and there are unjust ones.

Just ones would include World War 2 (stopping the Nazi's) and the RPF assault which led to the Rwandan genocide ending.

I think that just wars are ones with clearly defined and worthy goals. Some revolutions are "just" wars, and I think that there's an argument for saying that sometimes we need wars. We advance considerably in technological terms due to some wars, and sometimes it is necessary to have a war for a country to progress, by that I mean revolutions.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

The Christian tradition has a well thought out definition (usually with 6 requirements - not just a feeling that a cause weas just) of a Just War. It borrowed from Greek philosophy and was adapted and added to by Augustine and S. Thomas Aquinas.

One of the tenets is that civilians should not intentionally be killed. With the advent of nuclear weaponns and the knowledge that so-called smart bombs are nothing of the sort, arguable the Just War tradition is obsolete.

But does this not mean that we do not apply the same moral standards to killing in war as to killing in any other area of human life. Isn't that a double standard?

Secondly, I am not sure about using simple utilitarian judgements about the 'greater good' is sufficient to justify the taking of human lives

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

I agree with Zorro. Although I'm not sure about the "need to advance technologically" part.

The problem is that it is not always easy to decide if any particular war is just. People do not have access to the same information that leaders have. There is always a certain amount of deception and self-serving.

Hardly any wars are pure-as-the-driven-snow examples of innocent angels defending themselves from rampaging monsters.

My way of thinking about it is to start from very obvious examples, where virtually no one would disagree. Then you work back to a more uncertain position by adding mitigating circumstances.

At some mysterious point the war changes from being a just war to being an unjust one. People will naturally disagree about what that point would be.

Freddy said;
quote:
I agree with Zorro. Although I'm not sure about the "need to advance technologically" part.
Cheers for the "I agree with Zorro," bit, but I never actually said that we need to advance technically, so wars are in some ways good, I was meaning that technological advancement can be a pleasant side-effect of wars.

quote:
Originally posted by Llareggub:
But does this not mean that we do not apply the same moral standards to killing in war as to killing in any other area of human life. Isn't that a double standard?

Secondly, I am not sure about using simple utilitarian judgements about the 'greater good' is sufficient to justify the taking of human lives

I agree, which is why I think the Just War doctrine was an accommodation to worldliness and that pacifism is a more Christian response - but I don't want to derail this thread from Just War as there is much fruitful discussion to be had on it.

One problem with the Just War idea is that all other attempts must be triend and failed - while everyone is talking the enemy is stockpiling weapons. Had many wars started more quickly, they would have been less severe.

quote:

I think that just wars are ones with clearly defined and worthy goals. Some revolutions are "just" wars, and I think that there's an argument for saying that sometimes we need wars. We advance considerably in technological terms due to some wars, and sometimes it is necessary to have a war for a country to progress, by that I mean revolutions.

This is simply a justification on the basis of the ‘greater good for the greater number’ Certainly we sometimes have to do things to prevent worse things happening, but when it comes to taking human life we would not normally regard it as acceptable merely on the grounds that it will do more good in the long run

Posted by Teapot (# 10837) on :

A just war would be a war that has good clearly fighting evil....and I have yet to see one of them.

I have, however seen a lot of wars between empires, some of which were more abusive than others, but all of which were abusive.

There is no way, for example, that either side of WWI could claim to be fighting for "Good" considering both sides thought it acceptable to send millions of men to their deaths in the trenches.

Similarly WWII, usually flagged up as a "just war" against the "evil nazis"...however the sides who won continued to be oppressive (obvious examples can be seen in segregated US, Stalinist Russia, and hey simply in Wage Slavery culture that now has Europe in its grips).

Ooops [Hot and Hormonal]

Gets off soapbox [Big Grin]

[ 03. January 2006, 16:19: Message edited by: Teapot ]

Posted by James Mc (# 3414) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
One problem with the Just War idea is that all other attempts must be triend and failed - while everyone is talking the enemy is stockpiling weapons. Had many wars started more quickly, they would have been less severe.

A problem with not following the Just War path, is that "all other attempts" sometimes succeed, stopping wars which may have otherwise flared up. I have wondered in the past if the "peace at all costs" mentality and the League of Nations structures (though not the inequities, obviously) that came out of the First World War had been available before it had started, we might have avoided the needless slaughter on the western and eastern fronts between 1914 and 1918.

Britain and other western European democracies of the late 30s certainly pursued all paths (including appeasement) to avoid war between 1936 and 1939. If we had not done, and had gone to war over Czechoslovakia in mid 1938 or Anschluss with Austria in early 1938, or even the Rhineland in 1936, we would have been even more unprepared than we were, and quite possibly could have lost.

quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
Freddy said;
quote:
Cheers for the "I agree with Zorro," bit, but I never actually said that we need to advance technically, so wars are in some ways good, I was meaning that technological advancement can be a pleasant side-effect of wars.
Sorry. I misread. I agree.

No worries, Freddy. [Biased]

(sorry, wrong smiley)

[ 03. January 2006, 16:34: Message edited by: Zorro ]

Is there however a right to self defence? Does that justify war?

quote:
Is there however a right to self defence? Does that justify war?

Well, if we could make ourselves invulnerable there would be no need for war.

Posted by Littlelady (# 9616) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Teapot:
Similarly WWII, usually flagged up as a "just war" against the "evil nazis"...however the sides who won continued to be oppressive (obvious examples can be seen in segregated US, Stalinist Russia, and hey simply in Wage Slavery culture that now has Europe in its grips).

Can consequences of a war make the war itself unjust? Personally, I don't think so. Besides, so far as WW2 is concerned, I believe Winny C flagged up the dangers of a Europe under Stalinist Russia but the Americans (and prolly the Brits too, not sure) didn't have the stomach to continue to the point where Russia was kicked out of Europe.

I would say that WW2 is a good example of a just war.

quote:
Originally posted by Littlelady:
Can consequences of a war make the war itself unjust? Personally, I don't think so. Besides, so far as WW2 is concerned, I believe Winny C flagged up the dangers of a Europe under Stalinist Russia but the Americans (and prolly the Brits too, not sure) didn't have the stomach to continue to the point where Russia was kicked out of Europe.

I would say that WW2 is a good example of a just war.

Gonna have to agree to differ on that one littlelady (why do I feel I should say that with a John Wayne accent?!! [Biased] ) as I reckon WWII was a war between a whole hoard of evil empires…..and Winny C was almost as callous as Hitler (which you can see in his memoirs etc).

quote:
Gonna have to agree to differ on that one littlelady (why do I feel I should say that with a John Wayne accent?!! [Biased] )

No idea. But if you start walking like him too then I'll get worried ... [Biased]

Posted by Mad Geo (# 2939) on :

quote:

So the just-ness of a war is determined by the acts of the countries after the fact? If that's the case then the U.S. is now de-segregated and Russia is moving away from its former enslavement and killing of innocent victims so the war is now just by your standards since we are now "just".

And everything I just said was just as absurd as what you said in your post, since I don't believe what I just posted. The justness of a war is not defined by how countries behave after the fact.

I'm sorry Teapot, I am as relativistic as the next guy, but there are ways of drawing lines as to the worst of two evils. The U.S., U.K., and other allies performed as justly and admirably in WWII as they could for the times, and the Nazi leadership did not. Trying the just-ness of the war by how stupidly various countries behaved on non-war related issues after the fact is a bit absurd.

I believe that very very few wars can be labelled just, but they are out there. One measurement is how happy the bulk of the civilian people are that they were saved. Afghanistan would be a good example of a just war, Iraq, probably not (although history will decide). WWI and WWII would probably qualify as the liberated population was relieved to be free of the Germans.

I would add though that war sometimes just has to be filed under "Shit Happens". I do not think that war is never the solution. Every piece of land in the world has been fought over except in the extreme north and south where survival is the war. It is part of our being, part of our nature. Maybe when the Bonos, RuthWs, and Teutonic Goddesses (peaceniks) of the world have the numbers and the means then we might be able to use other means, but in the mean time war is a necessary evil at times.

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
So the just-ness of a war is determined by the acts of the countries after the fact? If that's the case then the U.S. is now de-segregated and Russia is moving away from its former enslavement and killing of innocent victims so the war is now just by your standards since we are now "just".

It is measured by the values of those forces fighting, at the time of the fighting.

quote:
I'm sorry Teapot, I am as relativistic as the next guy, but there are ways of drawing lines as to the worst of two evils. The U.S., U.K., and other allies performed as justly and admirably in WWII as they could for the times, and the Nazi leadership did not. Trying the just-ness of the war by how stupidly various countries behaved on non-war related issues after the fact is a bit absurd.
To quote a new TV programme…”Balderdash and piffle”. A war is a fight between two or more powers for the dominance of their way of being. America was a power of racial segregation (and that’s before we even get to the govt supported arms manufacturers who armed Berlin….hmmm vague reminiscences of somewhere sandier…..).

quote:
WWI and WWII would probably qualify as the liberated population was relieved to be free of the Germans.
Until they realise that they were gonna get shafted by the Soviets, the Americans or the Europeans instead…..

quote:
Every piece of land in the world has been fought over except in the extreme north and south where survival is the war. It is part of our being, part of our nature.
Quite appropriately, that is extract of domesticated bovine. [Smile]

It is the nature of settled agriculture to fight wars of expansion, but that was not the way of humans for a VERY long time and so all of its values do NOT have to be embraced.

[ 03. January 2006, 18:28: Message edited by: Teapot ]

You say "It is measured by the values of those forces fighting, at the time of the fighting." but you earlier stated "the sides who won continued to be oppressive (obvious examples can be seen in segregated US, Stalinist Russia, and hey simply in Wage Slavery culture that now has Europe in its grips". Which is it, values then or now?

The values at that time can be generally lumped as "Democratic Republics" versus "Authoritarian Fascists that kill Jews, Homosexuals, and the Mentally Incompetents for fun". I'm not sure which values you consider paramount.

You also said that "A war is a fight between two or more powers for the dominance of their way of being". While true, as you know there is also these little things called values that often govern "their way of being". One Power had values that resulted (ultimately) in De-Segregation and more freedom for the masses. The other Power resulted in Genocide, Invasion, Authoritarianism over its masses and all around nastiness.

quote:
"Until they realise that they were gonna get shafted by the Soviets, the Americans or the Europeans instead….."

Um, you do realize that the soviets are out of Eastern Europe, the U.S. helped rebuild Western Europe at great expense, and well, the Europeans were the ones liberated, right?

quote:
It is the nature of settled agriculture to fight wars of expansion, but that was not the way of humans for a VERY long time and so all of its values do NOT have to be embraced.

Um, show me a prolonged period of time where there wasn't war. Dates please.

[ 03. January 2006, 19:37: Message edited by: Mad Geo ]

quote:
Can consequences of a war make the war itself unjust? Personally, I don't think so.

The Just War theory has consequences as one of its tenets. As nobody has yet spelt out how the Christian tradition defines 'Just War', perhaps I should:

1. It must be called by a lawful authority

2. It must have a just cause (Right intention)

3. It must be fought in a just manner (e.g. should only aim to kill combatants, not civilians (unless indirectly, the law of 'double effect')

4. The cost of fighting must not outweigh the cost of not fighting (Prudential judgement) - consequences

quote:
"Authoritarian Fascists that kill Jews, Homosexuals, and the Mentally Incompetents for fun".

MG, you forgot the Gypsies. [Biased]

In fact, if we hadn't gone to war, given Hitlers total insanity, probably anyone who wasn't blond and blue-eyed would have been gassed, or used as lamp shades.

Which leads me on to leo's point, where he translates this:

quote:
4. The cost of fighting must not outweigh the cost of not fighting (Prudential judgement) - consequences

as justification for not going to war, in case there are consequences beyond the war itself.

leo, I would contest your interpretation of this point. How have the costs of fighting WW2 outweighed not fighting? Are you saying that the freedom of France, Belgium, Britain, possibly America (since he had plans to attack there), Russia (since he tried attacking there), and numerous other countries were not worth it? When war was declared on Germany, no-one had any notion that ultimately half of Germany and other European nations would end up being under the hideous chains of communism for a further 40+ years. How could they have had? We went to war for noble reasons - initially to fight not for our own freedom (since we had not actually been attacked at the time we declared war) but for the freedom of our allies in Europe. Just as America came to help fight for her allies in Europe.

Whether or not you or others believe that WW2 was misguided now, surely it is erroneous to project our knowledge after the event upon the decisions of people before it even happened? Given the world as it was in 1939 and all the attempts for peace beforehand, I think point 4 was well and truly met. It was decided that, given what was going on in Europe, the cost of not fighting outweighed the cost of doing so.

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

It is difficult to argue that WW1 was a "just" war- everyone who took part at the beginning was as excited about the idea as if it was just a football match. The Empires had used their weapons to subdue unarmed or lightly armed aboriginals in various continents, and they had to come to understand the implications of using those weapons against each other. In the end (after WW2) they had learned that using those weapons was NOT a Good Idea, and we got the (rather imperfect) United Nations and European Economic Community, just as the United States very gradually learned from the aftermath of the Civil War.

Once you had WW1 and the not-very-good settlement of 1919, which allowed Hitler and Mussolini to flourish, WW2 was clearly a "Just" War, if only because it did more-or-less stop many of the nastier ideas that various Christian states enjoyed- effective apartheid in the US, actual apartheid in South Africa, anti-aboriginalism in most countries, anti-Jewishness in most countries (all somewhat imperfectly)

The people of the UK clearly went into the war "because it was a job that had to be done", sacrificing their Empire as they did it. The Americans have gained a form of Empire, and are now working out the implications of that- almost well in Afghanistan, and as poorly as the British in Iraq.

Intervention in Serbia would have been a "Good Thing" if people had been more sure of themselves, just as intervention in Rwanda was clearly necessary (and shamefully late). These two examples would not necessarily have been a full-scale war, rather a show of force might have had the desired effect.

But some of the effects take generations to develop, so we have to look back to see if the original supposition of justice was in fact true.

Posted by tclune (# 7959) on :

quote:
As nobody has yet spelt out how the Christian tradition defines 'Just War', perhaps I should:

1. It must be called by a lawful authority

I agree that the standard list for a just war includes the first point, but this seems highly suspect to me. The largest list of reasonable candidates for Just War status (at least to my mind) would consist of revolutions. They would be excluded from consideration as just from the git-go by this constraint. However, for those of us weaned on Enlightenment thinking, a government gains its legitimacy from the consent of the governed. The government will, of course, continue to be lawful (as it is the one making the laws) until it is overthrown. So it seems that revolutions are special cases where the first proviso just doesn't apply. And, if we say that the only law intended by the first proviso is international law, then it doesn't tend to apply to a country's internal affairs in the first place.

--Tom Clune

So presumably there are Just Revolutions and Unjust Revolutions, and some of them are just revolutions (presumably just for the Hell of it)

Posted by Custard. (# 5402) on :

quote:
The values at that time can be generally lumped as "Democratic Republics" versus "Authoritarian Fascists that kill Jews, Homosexuals, and the Mentally Incompetents for fun". I'm not sure which values you consider paramount.

I agree that it was right to fight WW2.

However, it is worth noting that Hitler and Mussolini were both elected democratically. Prior to WW2, the biggest mass murderer in the world was Stalin (not elected democratically, IIRC, but nonetheless on our side).

The reason we fought Hitler but not Stalin was nothing to do with the Jews. It was essentially because we were worried they would try to invade us if we left it much longer.

quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
The reason we fought Hitler but not Stalin was nothing to do with the Jews. It was essentially because we were worried they would try to invade us if we left it much longer.

Actually, I thought it had something to do with Poland and some treaties and the fact that we'd done nothing but flash a piece of blank paper at the cameras following the invasion of ... sheesh, I've forgotten how to spell it! Sorry to all Czecs! (Which I'm not even sure I've spelt correctly! [Hot and Hormonal] )

Obviously - it goes without saying - that the spectre of invasion was part of the story. But not the whole story. And the treatment of the Jews was known about prior to declaration of war (although the concentration camps apparently were not).

quote:
You say "It is measured by the values of those forces fighting, at the time of the fighting." but you earlier stated "the sides who won continued to be oppressive (obvious examples can be seen in segregated US, Stalinist Russia, and hey simply in Wage Slavery culture that now has Europe in its grips". Which is it, values then or now?

Well, it was immoral then, for the values on each side were oppressive. And we are still stuck with oppression today which only goes to show who won.

quote:
Would they be the same “Democratic Republicans” who beat up people just for being black, or heaven forbid, drink from the wrong water fountain?

quote:
You also said that "A war is a fight between two or more powers for the dominance of their way of being". While true, as you know there is also these little things called values that often govern "their way of being". One Power had values that resulted (ultimately) in De-Segregation and more freedom for the masses. The other Power resulted in Genocide, Invasion, Authoritarianism over its masses and all around nastiness.
Well, one power lost but yes it was doing evil before that point. Of the others….one got much much worse (Stalin’s Russia), one got real greedy, invaded numerous countries, gave “most favoured nation” status to a country infamous for its torture (china), sold WMD to countries then complained that they had the, locked up people without trial….etc etc, and another stuck its head up the ar$e of the second one or went back to watching its soaps whilst all this happened

quote:
Um, you do realize that the soviets are out of Eastern Europe, the U.S. helped rebuild Western Europe at great expense, and well, the Europeans were the ones liberated, right?
The Soviets were there for a long time, still affect such countries (have a word with Chechnya and the Ukraine if you don’t believe me) and the Europeans were not Europeans but free French, Spanish, Norwegian, Swiss……now they are stuck with a parasite the size of the moon who is happy to invite Mugabe to trade talks….

quote:
Um, show me a prolonged period of time where there wasn't war. Dates please.
Show me written history that is not from the settled societies.

Um, Teapot, you wouldn't be anti-American would you?

Did I understand your latest post to include a claim that America is a "parasite the size of a moon"? I hope I misunderstood you, but it definitely appeared to be what you were saying.

Lol no littlelady, its the EU that's a parasite the size of the moon [Smile]

[ 03. January 2006, 21:46: Message edited by: Teapot ]

quote:
Lol no littlelady, its the EU that's a parasite the size of the moon [Smile]

Phew! *mops brow*

That's ok then! [Big Grin]

Teapot

You are still referencing the after-effects of the war as being somehow relevent to whether the war was just. It is not. As You Said: "It is measured by the values of those forces fighting, at the time of the fighting."

History is of course written by the victors. However, I think that we are discussing things that are not "History from the victors" because the History of Segregation was written by the blacks and the Holocaust is only doubted by bloody fools, and I do not take you for one.

If you can show me how getting beaten up because you are black or drank from the water fountain equates to 9 to 26 million Jews, homosexuals, mental incompetents, gypsies [Biased] , and others killed than you are a post-modern moral relativist of the highest grade, if one can call that "highest". I am sure the Jews, homosexuals, mental incompetents, gypsies, and others killed in the holocaust will respect your historical opinion.

P.S. I personally am in favor of Most Favored Nation status for China, as not doing trade with Authoritarian Communist states has worked so well with Cuba. Not.

[ 03. January 2006, 23:11: Message edited by: Mad Geo ]

Posted by FiliusSyon (# 10722) on :

quote:

The U.S., U.K., and other allies performed as justly and admirably in WWII as they could for the times, and the Nazi leadership did not.

I would like to call your attention to a few isolated incidents like the eradication of Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Enemies at the gates are still good reasons to go to war, though, which certainly holds for Britain in WWII.

I'm pretty sure that most of Europe and North America in 1939 were fairly thoroughly anti-Jewish- witness the well-known remark by a Canadian immigration official that "One Jew was too many" as he ordered the ship St. Louis back to Europe with over 900 of "them"- and it is quite clear that much of the US was anti-black enough to have a low but definite assault and murder rate of blacks because they were black.

BUT we did all learn from actually seeing the death camps and from having blacks and native "indians" serving in our forces that maybe they were people as well. The Civil Rights movement would never have happened without the shift of attitude brought back by those who served "over there", just as the emancipation of women finally came around. The attitudes leading to oppression of identifiable groups are still at work, but the situation is somewhat better. People actually challenge the more far-out bigots, which didn't happen much in 1939!

It is convenient for present-day politicians and other bigots to try to forget the lessons we learned, because the negative attitudes are thoroughly ingrained. This means that we have to keep on working on improving the attitudes, a process that will take several generations, if the Irish or Serbian attitude to religious tension is any indicator.

It certainly doesn't help to nit-pick about might-have-beens, unless you want to really irritate certain mythical beasts with long ears (as happened to me the other day) Every war must be "unjust" to someone, but some wars are, on the whole, "Just" for a significant number, including future generations.

At the same time, the Law of Unintended Consequences will continue to operate.

Posted by Justinian (# 5357) on :

To certain individuals on this thread.

There was a video made of the liberation of Belsen. Watch it. Research the actions of the Japanese Unit 731. Then come back and tell me that, deeply flawed or not, the British and Americans were not at least a cut above that. And that it was not worth fighting to prevent even more such atrocities than the Germans and Japanese were given time to carry out.

Yes, Churchill was a bastard. Stalinist Russia was comparable to Nazi Germany or the East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere (see the Holodomor for a good example) - and I regret that we didn't have the ability, never mind the will to overthrow Stalin. Nevertheless, sometimes war to end evil is the least bad option available - and as such it can be described as a Just War. World War 2 was one such.

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
To certain individuals on this thread.

There was a video made of the liberation of Belsen. Watch it. Research the actions of the Japanese Unit 731. Then come back and tell me that, deeply flawed or not, the British and Americans were not at least a cut above that. And that it was not worth fighting to prevent even more such atrocities than the Germans and Japanese were given time to carry out.

Yes, Churchill was a bastard. Stalinist Russia was comparable to Nazi Germany or the East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere (see the Holodomor for a good example) - and I regret that we didn't have the ability, never mind the will to overthrow Stalin. Nevertheless, sometimes war to end evil is the least bad option available - and as such it can be described as a Just War. World War 2 was one such.

If you are talking to me, there is no shame in calling me by name. [Smile]

I do not think we need to compare war atrocities here, because frankly, the axis leads both in size and severity. Still, these incidents clearly were atrocities.

I am in a quarrelsome mood today, so I will add another thing: Is just cause sufficient for a just war, or is a certain conduct of war required? If so, where do you draw the line between just and unjust conduct?

Of course, I consider this question somewhat academic.

quote:
Originally posted by FiliusSyon:
quote:

The U.S., U.K., and other allies performed as justly and admirably in WWII as they could for the times, and the Nazi leadership did not.

I would like to call your attention to a few isolated incidents like the eradication of Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Enemies at the gates are still good reasons to go to war, though, which certainly holds for Britain in WWII.

Dresden was an atrocity, fair enough. But it was no more than a drop in the bucket of the atrocities committed by Germany upon the Allies. One serious moral failure does not a Nazi Germany make. The nazis did more than their fair share for a century or twenty.

Hiroshima/Nagasaki was more than justified by the Japanese civilians and Allied lives it saved from the invasion of Japan, as those that it killed.

Posted by PeteCanada (# 10422) on :

In all this argument about just and unjust war, please remember this little quote from me (and probably others - I forget where I heard it first)

To the victors belong the history

Which is to say, that those who win determine the justness of a war.

Posted by nicolemrw (# 28) on :

Add to Japanese atrocities the Rape of Nanking.

A few cites:

History Place

The Forgotten Holocaust

I'm sorry but nothing, nothing, nothing done by the Allies comes up to this for sheer evil.

quote:
Originally posted by PeteCanada:
In all this argument about just and unjust war, please remember this little quote from me (and probably others - I forget where I heard it first)

To the victors belong the history

Which is to say, that those who win determine the justness of a war.

And you can relegate that conventional wisdom to the shitpile it belongs when it comes to WWII. Sometimes Conventional Wisdom is little more than bullshit with a sugar coating.

Posted by romanlion (# 10325) on :

quote:
Sometimes Conventional Wisdom is little more than bullshit with a sugar coating.

Some may even call it an oxymoron.

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

I think there are three phases to be distinguished: prior to the war, during the war, and after the war. The "Just War" doctrine deals basically with the time prior to the war. A good write-up of the traditional teaching on this can be found here. Clearly, the decision of going to war against the Nazis and their supporters was just, no matter of what happened after.

During the war we have to consider mostly "Justice in War", that is, how combatants should behave while fighting. For example, we can discuss whether carpet bombing of cities is just. Perhaps the decision whether to end fighting or to continue is a sort of on-going "Just War" question, but generally this question comes to the foreground again only after much blood has been spilled. Many actions of the Allies during their just war against the Axis were possibly not just. For example, Dresden and Hiroshima are questionable. (I don't want to do discuss that now, my point is simply that one can doubt the justice in war of actions taken during a just war.)

After the war we can make a judgement of whether the outcome indeed justified the means. Again, in the case of WWII there can be no doubt that it did. Nobody could seriously wish for a Europe unified under Hitler. It doesn't matter in that regard that Stalin wasn't removed as well. Other wars we may well consider unjust by their outcome. Some people may consider the Iraq war to have started as a Just War and as being carried on by the US mostly with just means. But still, if in the end the outcome is to destabilize the entire region, put in place a Iran-style theocractic tyranny and kill and destroy aplenty along the way, then we may well judge the war unjust in hindsight.

I think it is important to distinguish these phases concerning justice and war. Otherwise we end up judging people unjustly. If you consider that the Just War doctrine concerns the question of whether it is just to start a war, then perhaps it is not so unreasonable to believe that there can be Just Wars. For example, waging war against Joseph Kony's LRA woulde seem eminently justifiable to me.

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
....waging war against Joseph Kony's LRA woulde seem eminently justifiable to me.

Ah, that would be just, but is it wise?

A thing that was learned by the U.S. in Vietnam/Somalia and Russia in Afghanistan is that for a war to be wise it needs a few things:

1. A clear mission objective.
2. Overwhelming Force
3. An exit strategy.

In the case of a war on the LRA, I am not sure that we would have some of those three. For one thing, if the objective was to kill off the LRA, who would replace them? History in Africa has shown that would be the next LRA or maybe worse. Not much of a mission. It might also be very hard to form an overwhelming force.

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

The difference is that the LRA has earnt the universal fear and loathing of the local population. However kills J. Kony et al will be carried shoulder high through the dusty tracks of Gulu.

Which is something it wasn't always possible to say of those other examples.

Museveni, by the way, is doing his best at a just way. Unfortunately the army seems to not be the best equiped or best disciplined recently.

quote:
If you can show me how getting beaten up because you are black or drank from the water fountain equates to 9 to 26 million Jews, homosexuals, mental incompetents, gypsies [Biased] , and others killed than you are a post-modern moral relativist of the highest grade, if one can call that "highest". I am sure the Jews, homosexuals, mental incompetents, gypsies, and others killed in the holocaust will respect your historical opinion.

How many civilians were killed in the first 2 uses of nuclear terrorism (where the US admits they targeted two civilian cities for the terror effect it would have)? Why did the US wait to enter the war until after Pearl Harbour (which, evidence now suggests, they knew about in advance...)? What of Churchill who accepted Auschwitz etc as collateral damage rather than let on the allies had broken the Enigma code?

quote:
P.S. I personally am in favor of Most Favored Nation status for China, as not doing trade with Authoritarian Communist states has worked so well with Cuba. Not.
Nice.
[Eek!]

Personally, I have never viewed Winston Churchill as some kind of hero like many have (who perhaps now will be sadly disillusioned). He was a man of his time called to do a job that I certainly would not have wanted to do. So the possibility that his attitude was not always saintly, or that his decisions may seem harsh or even barbaric sometimes, does not surprise me.

Whatever people might think of the blanket bombing of Dresden et al, there was the blitz first. Not only this but had those blanket bombings not occurred, would the Nazis have stopped? Would they have been convinced that their time was up? The same applies to Japan, which had a culture engrained with not losing face under any circumstances whatsoever. How many allies were to die before Japan stopped? Faced with such scenarios, what were the leaders of the allied nations supposed to do? It was a truly tough call.

It is so easy to judge the decision makers now, 60 years on, as if we know what we're talking about. We don't. Most of us probably weren't even born then.

So far as the victory quote is concerned, were we the victors? We won in that we stopped the Nazis and the Japanese of the time. But so many of our own people died and were hideously injured that I'm not sure we had a victory as such. We fulfilled the original purposes of the war.

When you fight evil with evil, what do you end up with regardless of who wins?

The lesser of two evils.

[ 04. January 2006, 09:26: Message edited by: mdijon ]

I think I'm missing a trick here, anyway.... aren't we all perfect Teapot? How than could WC have fought evil with evil?

quote:

I'm confused again. Are you implying the allied countries all had evil governments, evil people or were just evil per se?

Or is this about the EU too? [Biased]

IngoB
quote:

The "Just War" doctrine deals basically with the time prior to the war.

Precisely. There is no way a an unjust war can be justified either by the way in which it is conducted or its outcomes

Surely the only justification for war can be on the basis of self defence, either individual or collective. It is this notion of collective self defence which we are invoking in justifying WW2. But there are strict limitations on the right of self defence – the conditions of ‘necessity’, ‘immediacy’ and ‘responsibility’. It cannot justify war and the killing involved in war if other methods of defending individual lives are available.

On this basis it is only military action designed to avert an immediate threat that can be justified. The fact that people’s right to life has been violated in the past, or that it might be in the future, is not sufficient justification. Secondly, and most importantly of all, the only people who may justifiably be killed are those who are violating others right to life. There can be no justification for killing innocent civilians. Ironically, the Allied intervention in Kuwait and the refusal to carry the war into Baghdad might fit

quote:
quote:

I'm confused again. Are you implying the allied countries all had evil governments, evil people or were just evil per se?

Or is this about the EU too? [Biased]

I'm saying that each side was a long way from being loving in its values, as can be seen in the values they showed at the time as well as the world that has been built on the values of the victors.

Mdijon, recognising evil actions in service to evil values is not the same as condemning those who do the evil. [Smile] As we have discussed before, recognising a persons "perfection" is about realising that it is forgiveness that they deserve (as that brings people back into being aware of god's love) not condemnation (as that serves only hate). [Smile]

[ 04. January 2006, 10:30: Message edited by: Teapot ]

quote:
I'm saying that each side was a long way from being loving in its values, as can be seen in the values they showed at the time as well as the world that has been built on the values of the victors.

Ok. But if that is the case then no-one can ever, under any circumstances, make any form of judgement upon another. That is, if the man next door is beating his partner to a pulp every night, because your own values will have flaws in them, you are not in a position to report that man to the police or intervene in any way whatsoever.

That may be an extreme example, but it does seem to me to be the logical track such a view would take. We would all be completely hogtied by such a relativist viewpoint.

As has already been said, the allies were not from perfect countries, were not perfect individuals, but when compared to what the Nazis were doing at the time - from conquering other countries to abusing swathes of the population - the allies were morally on firmer ground.

And I'd much rather have the Britain of today than a Britain under the Nazis, thanks very much! I've got freckles. They might have come after me next! [Paranoid]

quote:
Ok. But if that is the case then no-one can ever, under any circumstances, make any form of judgement upon another. That is, if the man next door is beating his partner to a pulp every night, because your own values will have flaws in them, you are not in a position to report that man to the police or intervene in any way whatsoever.

That may be an extreme example, but it does seem to me to be the logical track such a view would take. We would all be completely hogtied by such a relativist viewpoint.

What makes you think it is relativist? It is possible to intervene without being a vessel to (lesser) evil by, in acting, not hating/condemning the sinner, but instead simply defending against the sin. [Smile]

quote:
As has already been said, the allies were not from perfect countries, were not perfect individuals, but when compared to what the Nazis were doing at the time - from conquering other countries to abusing swathes of the population - the allies were morally on firmer ground.

And I'd much rather have the Britain of today than a Britain under the Nazis, thanks very much! I've got freckles. They might have come after me next! [Paranoid]

“Lesser evils” are the way evils are snuck past our defences and frequently they grow into greater evils….. Our economic wealth is rooted in trading with sweatshop labour economies, few do anything at all against Guantanamo, our humour is increasingly based in sneering, and almost all dream of ever more riches/power/status, all whilst our govts wage wars for market expansion on the grounds that the “enemy” has WMD that our govts sold him in the first place....killing and maiming 100s of 1000s in the process.

Hitler was foolish, he tried to build tyranny on the principles of 1984 alone. The modern lot learned from his mistake and realise the place of “Brave New World” in there as well….

I realise that not everyone on here is Christian but I fail to see how the actions of the Allies in any way concords with realising the kingdom. [Smile]

quote:
quote:

What makes you think it is relativist? It is possible to intervene without being a vessel to (lesser) evil by, in acting, not hating/condemning the sinner, but instead simply defending against the sin. [Smile]
Nah. I don't buy it. It is relativist because what is being measured is not if something is wrong but if something is less wrong than something else. That's relativism. Facism was, and still is, wrong. I don't get absolutist myself very often, but about facism I am an absolutist. It is wrong. It had to be challenged. And I am extremely glad it was. It is very likely that I wouldn't have had the freedom and opportunity I have now if it hadn't been.

quote:
“Lesser evils” are the way evils are snuck past our defences and frequently they grow into greater evils….. Our economic wealth is rooted in trading with sweatshop labour economies, few do anything at all against Guantanamo, our humour is increasingly based in sneering, and almost all dream of ever more riches/power/status, all whilst our govts wage wars for market expansion on the grounds that the “enemy” has WMD that our govts sold him in the first place....killing and maiming 100s of 1000s in the process.
But all this has nothing whatsoever to do with WW2, which is what we were discussing.

Surely discussion about such subjects as you raise here is a thread all in itself?

quote:
Hitler was foolish, he tried to build tyranny on the principles of 1984 alone. The modern lot learned from his mistake and realise the place of “Brave New World” in there as well….
Who are 'the modern lot'? Switzerland? Britain? Luxembourg? America? Lesotho?

quote:
I realise that not everyone on here is Christian but I fail to see how the actions of the Allies in any way concords with realising the kingdom. [Smile]
I'm not sure that WW2 was based on realising the kingdom of God. So far as I am aware, it was about freedom from tyranny.

Teapot, what if you were one of the soldiers in the RPF in 1994 in Rwanda?

Would you have taken up arms to fight interhamwe, to prevent genocide... or would you have stood back, saying "I cannot fight evil with evil. Kill my and my family if you must."

quote:
Facism was, and still is, wrong. I don't get absolutist myself very often, but about facism I am an absolutist. It is wrong. It had to be challenged.

Indeed [Smile] but what it was challenged by was not “Good”. The evil of the allies was not as heavy handed and blatant but it was still a long way from good.

quote:
And I am extremely glad it was. It is very likely that I wouldn't have had the freedom and opportunity I have now if it hadn't been.
What freedom would that be? The freedom to fund a corrupt govt or go to jail if you withhold your tax? The freedom to protest against a war that still happens? The freedom to write letters to politicians asking (ASKING!) them to oppose the US on Guantanamo?

Modern society is evil that is less insecure, that is all. It is happy to allow superficial protest as it knows such offers no threat and instead lets off steam for the masses.

quote:
But all this has nothing whatsoever to do with WW2, which is what we were discussing.
It shows what the values of the society at the time has grown into, adding context to the argument.

quote:
Surely discussion about such subjects as you raise here is a thread all in itself?
Probably [Big Grin]

quote:
Who are 'the modern lot'? Switzerland? Britain? Luxembourg? America? Lesotho?
The modern lot are the architects of the EU and Globalisation in general.

quote:
I'm not sure that WW2 was based on realising the kingdom of God. So far as I am aware, it was about freedom from tyranny.
It did not succeed though, because it WASN’T “based on realising the kingdom of God.” But was about expanding the empire of men. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Mdijon:
Teapot, what if you were one of the soldiers in the RPF in 1994 in Rwanda?

Would you have taken up arms to fight interhamwe, to prevent genocide... or would you have stood back, saying "I cannot fight evil with evil. Kill my and my family if you must."

I would have taken up arms to defend my family and done that. I would not have taken up arms to replace one tyrant with another. When you approach the world with hate in your heart you will only replace one monster with another.

Fair enough. So a just war is possible then.

It is possible for fighting to be just. [Smile]

Do you mean that fighting can be just but not a war? If so, where is the dividing line. If the RPF encouraged you to fight with them against the interhamwe genocide after saving your own family, where would you stand?

Sorry, I dont do hypotheticals....I would have to decide at the time based upon what the aims were.

If you are asking if I have any object to using force to defend others then no I have no objection in principle but I would be cautious of joining a war as I am all too aware of how corrupting cries for vengeance can be.

quote:
Sorry, I dont do hypotheticals....I would have to decide at the time based upon what the aims were.

Sorry to hear about this disability, as many of us find this is a useful way of understanding our own and others' positions.

After all, the question "Is there a just war" can only ever be answered hypothetically, since we are rarely in possesion of all the facts.

But it sounds to me like you admit a possibility of there being a just war, with certain, entirely reasonable (IMHO) caveats and reluctance.

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:

Sorry to hear about this disability, as many of us find this is a useful way of understanding our own and others' positions.
Saying "I could hypothetically do [insert bad thing]" is often a sign that they could. Saying "I could hypothetically do [insert good thing]" is rarely a sound reason for expecting such [Big Grin]

Is that the only point of discussing hypothetical situations? I think you're missing something. Or just avoiding answering a question.

Most of our discussions on the board are hypothetical.

Posted by Rat (# 3373) on :

I'm not sure I can accept the concept of a just war. Perhaps I don't fully understand the concept, of course. It seems to put us into an area of justification and potential hypocrisy that I'm not comfortable with.

It seems to me that no matter how justified the cause, war is always going to be cruel, and involve the deaths of people who have no power in the situation and are only tangentially connected to the reason for the war (both army and civilian) and suffering for many more. Things will always be done on both sides that we ought to be ashamed of.

It seems to me more honest to say that war is an unequivocal evil - but sometimes, unfortunately, a necessity to prevent a greater evil or defend ourselves.

'Just' in terms of one of the participants, if not the war itself.... perhaps better to talk in terms of a 'necessary' war - or an 'unavoidable' war, rather than 'just'?

Posted by Chapelhead (# 21) on :

quote:

The "Just War" doctrine deals basically with the time prior to the war.

Not so. "Just war" theory deals with the time prior to war, jus ad bellum, the conduct of the war, jus in bello and more recently has been extended to include actions after the war just post bellum. This doesn't mean, of course, that the whole history of a nation after the war is necessarily relevant in determining whether a war was just.

quote:

Precisely. There is no way a an unjust war can be justified either by the way in which it is conducted or its outcomes

True, but the reverse is not the case, an otherwise just war can be considered unjust as a result either of the way was fought or the actions of the participants after the war.

One point that gets raised when debating whether WWII was just or not was the oppressive nature of Stalin's Soviet Union. It should be remembered that when the UK (and its allies in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa etc) declared war on Germany there was a non-aggression pact between Germany and the Soviet Union. Consequently how "good" or "bad" the Soviet Union was has very little significance in determining whether the allies were justified in declaring war on Germany in 1939. Even after the Soviet Union was attacked by Germany and after Japan and the United States entered the war I don't think the Soviet Union's actions can be used as a basis for determining whether the UK and USA (among others) were justified in fighting a war against Germany.

quote:

CAUGHT YA!

How can you judge whether WW2 was just or not? By your own reasoning you would have to have been there, in 1939, in a position of leadership, fully aware of the aims of the war, to be able to make a judgement either way.

Otherwise, you are guilty of indulging in the hypotheticals you have here said you do not indulge in.

[Razz] [Biased]

Hypotheticals look forwards littlelady, not backwards. It is easy to look backwards and see the darkness lurking on all sides in WWII; not so to look forwards and predict the same.

"Rumors of my capture have been greatly exagerated" [Smile]

quote:
quote:

How many civilians were killed in the first 2 uses of nuclear terrorism (where the US admits they targeted two civilian cities for the terror effect it would have)? Why did the US wait to enter the war until after Pearl Harbour (which, evidence now suggests, they knew about in advance...)? What of Churchill who accepted Auschwitz etc as collateral damage rather than let on the allies had broken the Enigma code?

I think you have drank too much of the historical revisionist Koolaid. [Biased] The problem with all three of the statements above is that they are taken out of historical context.

Answer: The Bombs saved way more lives from the Invasion of Japan, than they took. All one needs to look at was the battles leading up to the Invasion of Japan i.e. Iwo Jima to see that is true.

Answer: Why the hell would the US enter a war until it made sense to do so?

Answer: Why would Churchill (or anyone else for that matter) send troops in behind enemy lines to die trying to save a few when he had to worry about nearly all of Western Europe? Revisionists tend to forget that WWII lacked helicopters to go in and pluck the Jews out, it wasn't as simple as dropping in paratroops and coookies.

And as for China, sometimes you can't help but sleep with the enemy. Except of course that the people of China are not our enemy so we really shouldn't persecute them with trade barriers because their government sucks. And the proof is in the changes in liberties that are gradually overtaking their country. As someone famous once said, "Where goods do not cross borders, armies will" (paraphrased).

quote:
quote:
Facism was, and still is, wrong. I don't get absolutist myself very often, but about facism I am an absolutist. It is wrong. It had to be challenged.

Indeed [Smile] but what it was challenged by was not “Good”. The evil of the allies was not as heavy handed and blatant but it was still a long way from good.
I don't agree. In 1939, based purely on the many books I have read, programmes I have seen, witness testimony I have heard (and these are all that I and most other people have access to), the allies were not involved in any evil remotely comparable to the Nazis. But the aim of the war, that is if it was to free others (and keep ourselves) from the oppression of Nazi tyranny, was indeed good, in all senses of the word.

quote:
What freedom would that be? The freedom to fund a corrupt govt or go to jail if you withhold your tax? The freedom to protest against a war that still happens? The freedom to write letters to politicians asking (ASKING!) them to oppose the US on Guantanamo?

I have personally not opted at any time in my life to fund a corrupt government, thanks very much. The fact that I fund BLiar's government is something I have no choice over. But yes, all these freedoms are freedom to me. Under a Nazi regime, it is likely you wouldn't have had the freedom to do any of these things or, in fact, a multiplicity of other things. The fact that you have the freedom to write what you just did on this discussion board is quite possibly something to do with WW2.

quote:
I'm not sure that WW2 was based on realising the kingdom of God. So far as I am aware, it was about freedom from tyranny. It did not succeed though, because it WASN’T “based on realising the kingdom of God.” But was about expanding the empire of men. [Smile]
That wasn't what the Allies were about, but it was of course what the Nazis were about. Britain, for example, didn't extend its empire one iota. In fact, WW2 finished off the British Empire once and for all.

quote:
Hypotheticals look forwards littlelady, not backwards. It is easy to look backwards and see the darkness lurking on all sides in WWII; not so to look forwards and predict the same.

Semantics, dear Teapot. (I've never called a teapot dear before. Tis alarming! [Big Grin] ) You can locate a hypothetical at any spot in time, and look forward from that point.

And besides, it's just as easy to look backwards and see nothing but darkness lurking on all sides. We weren't there, so we don't know.

These hypotheticals. They're mighty tricky to pin down! [Biased]

quote:
Answer: The Bombs saved way more lives from the Invasion of Japan, than they took. All one needs to look at was the battles leading up to the Invasion of Japan i.e. Iwo Jima to see that is true.

Cooking two civilian cities is fine then if it saves lives elsewhere. Nice! I’m sure Mr Bush has a chair waiting for you!

quote:
Answer: Why the hell would the US enter a war until it made sense to do so?
Gee, maybe because it was the “just” thing to do to fight fascism? [Biased]

quote:
Answer: Why would Churchill (or anyone else for that matter) send troops in behind enemy lines to die trying to save a few when he had to worry about nearly all of Western Europe? Revisionists tend to forget that WWII lacked helicopters to go in and pluck the Jews out, it wasn't as simple as dropping in paratroops and coookies.
If he had released info about Auschwitz mayhap Switzerland would not have been able to claim Neutrality despite the screams from the trains that stopped there being audible to the Swiss in the towns…. And they could act, Britain chose not to so as to not give away that they knew about Enigma and how to decode it.

quote:
And as for China, sometimes you can't help but sleep with the enemy. Except of course that the people of China are not our enemy so we really shouldn't persecute them with trade barriers because their government sucks.
That is, quite frankly (checks which board we are in [Big Grin] ) utter Botox. We do not have to trade with China, and keeping them supported in having sweatshops full of robot-people is hardly benefiting them; it is a tool for greed justified by apologists. Nothing more.

quote:
And the proof is in the changes in liberties that are gradually overtaking their country.
you mean like the children beaten into “Olympic condition”? Open you eyes Geo.

quote:
Originally posted by Li’llday:
In 1939, …. the allies were not involved in any evil remotely comparable to the Nazis.

No offence m’lady but “Just” requires a lot more than “not involved in any evil remotely comparable to”.

quote:
The fact that I fund BLiar's government is something I have no choice over.
Yes you do. You can “… not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.”(Matthew 6:34) and withhold your tax, as I will be doing from this point onwards.

quote:
But yes, all these freedoms are freedom to me. Under a Nazi regime, it is likely you wouldn't have had the freedom to do any of these things or, in fact, a multiplicity of other things. The fact that you have the freedom to write what you just did on this discussion board is quite possibly something to do with WW2.
A voice that is ignored is not a voice. We have the freedom to let off steam because TPTB know that it will never hurt them. People are too comfy to cause too much trouble over something that does not affect them. Oh they will riot over their poll-tax increases but not over torture of someone else.

quote:
That wasn't what the Allies were about, but it was of course what the Nazis were about. Britain, for example, didn't extend its empire one iota. In fact, WW2 finished off the British Empire once and for all.
Indeed. Britain’s empire was replace by America’s.

[Smile]

quote:
And besides, it's just as easy to look backwards and see nothing but darkness lurking on all sides. We weren't there, so we don't know.
Hindsight almost invariably gives better perception than foresight…except when looking at your bum in the mirror [Big Grin]

So let me see if I get this straight. You would rather have had us not drop the bomb and kill a few million more Japanese and allies in the invasion of Japan, have had us sacrifice our troops and possibly prolong the war on a half-baked plan to try to liberate POW camps full of sick and dying from behind enemy lines, and put Chinese people out of work because trade barriers and embargos have worked so well in Iraq and Cuba. As you say:

Nice.

quote:
If he had released info about Auschwitz mayhap Switzerland would not have been able to claim Neutrality despite the screams from the trains that stopped there being audible to the Swiss in the towns…. And they could act, Britain chose not to so as to not give away that they knew about Enigma and how to decode it.

So now the British are to blame for Switzerland's neutrality? What was WC supposed to do? Bomb Switzerland?? If Switzerland wanted to back out of war, as Switzerland likes to do, then it should have the freedom to do so. Some of us don't have to respect "it" for doing so. But there was bugger all WC or anyone else could do about it, regardless of the screams.

It seems that on the one hand you wanted Britain to barge into another country (Switzerland) but on the other not defend it and its allies right to freedom against tyrrany.

[Confused]

quote:
Hindsight almost invariably gives better perception than foresight…except when looking at your bum in the mirror [Big Grin]
Ha! Speak for yerself! My bum's just fine thanks very much! [Big Grin]

quote:
So let me see if I get this straight. You would rather have had us not drop the bomb and kill a few million more Japanese and allies in the invasion of Japan, have had us sacrifice our troops and possibly prolong the war on a half-baked plan to try to liberate POW camps full of sick and dying from behind enemy lines, and put Chinese people out of work because trade barriers and embargos have worked so well in Iraq and Cuba. As you say:

Nice.

It takes a strange mind to justify the use of nukes on civilian cities.....especially in support of a regime which at home, would continue with segregation for another 20 years (and still does, economically so, if New Orleans is anything to go by). But hey, as you are happy to trade with China I dont expect you to understand that [Frown]

quote:
So now the British are to blame for Switzerland's neutrality? What was WC supposed to do? Bomb Switzerland?? If Switzerland wanted to back out of war, as Switzerland likes to do, then it should have the freedom to do so. Some of us don't have to respect "it" for doing so. But there was bugger all WC or anyone else could do about it, regardless of the screams.

WC could have released the info and shamed Switzerland into not allowing trains to pass through their territory…..maybe instil a little moral courage and not standby whilst the holocaust happened via their trainlines; seriously hampering the nazi ability to get folks into the camps.

quote:
Ha! Speak for yerself! My bum's just fine thanks very much! [Big Grin]
Well, I’d have to know that in person to be sure hehehehe

[runs off! [Big Grin] ]

quote:
Which leads me on to leo's point, where he translates this:

quote:

as justification for not going to war, in case there are consequences beyond the war itself.

leo, I would contest your interpretation of this point. How have the costs of fighting WW2 outweighed not fighting? Are you saying that the freedom of France, Belgium, Britain, possibly America (since he had plans to attack there), Russia (since he tried attacking there), and numerous other countries were not worth it?

No, I wasn't saying that. I was merely saying what the Just War doctrine says; I wasn't giving an opinion on whether World War 2 met the criteria. In fact, I think World War 2 is one of the very few wars which has met the criteria - at least up until carpet bombing and the use of nuclear weapons - but others have already commented on that.

quote:
No, I wasn't saying that. I was merely saying what the Just War doctrine says; I wasn't giving an opinion on whether World War 2 met the criteria.

Fair enough. My bad. I mistakenly drew that inference from your post.

quote:
Hiroshima/Nagasaki was more than justified by the Japanese civilians and Allied lives it saved from the invasion of Japan, as those that it killed.

It depends how you do your sums. If you include all the deaths in those cities that has heppned in the past 60 years as a reult of the fall out, if you add the lives of 3rd world people that could have been saved had the cash NOT been spent on the arms race during the cold war (fuelled by fear of nuclear anihilation by 'the other side'etc. we might get a different result.

If ever anything failed to meet the criteria of 'just' it was the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Justification is not dependent on some speculative calculation and anyway, where would you stop. What about the thousands of premature deaths, stillborn and disbled children that resulted from those bombings. Don't they count? And what distorted morality would it take to justify their deaths.

Leo, you are assuming that no one would have built a bomb, thus resulting in no cold war. Not possible. There were many many countries building Bombs (not the least of which was Nazi Germany before the allies blew up their program).
Bomb technology was inevitable, it was just part of technological devlopment, and if we had not invented it first it would have been the Russians, or the Chinese, or any other country that developed to a certain level of technological sophistication.

As for my "distorted mentality" and "strange mind" here's a few estimates for you two,
Invasion of Japan, the estimates and the historical numbers. A few choice quotes:

quote:
....the Japanese civilian population, inflamed by a national slogan - "One Hundred Million Will Die for the Emperor and Nation" - were prepared to fight to the death.
quote:
At the early stage of the invasion, 1,000 Japanese and American soldiers would be dying every hour.

quote:
One can only guess at how many civilians would have committed suicide in their homes or in futile mass military attacks.

On Iwo Jima 21000 Japanese fought to the death. Only 200 were captured alive at a cost of 26,000 allied casualties and 7000 dead.

On Kyushu (Japan) alone there were 790,000 defenders plus 8.5 million civilians. Imagine them all or mostly all fighting to the death as they did in Iwo Jima.

The highest numbers at Hiroshima are estimated between 65,000 and 200,000 with best estimates at 90,000. Radiation after effects deaths since then are estimated at a thousand.

No matter how you slice it, at that time and at that place, the "just" thing to do was to save Millions and Millions of lives by dropping the bomb on 90,000 lives. If you can't see that then you probably should be checking yourself for a "distorted mentality" and "strange mind" because if it were up to you, you would kill millions to save thousands. Why some of the nastiest dictators in WWII would really respect you for that, I would suspect.

quote:
WC could have released the info

Who said he didn't?

quote:
and shamed Switzerland into not allowing trains to pass through their territory…..
Who says that would have been the outcome?

It's all hypothetical. But in the past. [Biased]

quote:
No matter how you slice it, at that time and at that place, the "just" thing to do was to save Millions and Millions of lives by dropping the bomb on 90,000 lives.

Based on all I've read and learned about WW2, I'd agree with you Mad Geo. On a much smaller scale than this, such decisions have always been made by military personnel - whether to lose the few to save the many. And my guess is that this would be the case within a civilian context too, post 9/11.

It was a terrible, terrible situation for both the decision-makers and the pilots of the planes to find themselves in. I can only be relieved a million times over that it wasn't me in either role. But it was necessary. The Japanese at that time were not going to stop.

quote:
On Kyushu (Japan) alone there were 790,000 defenders plus 8.5 million civilians. Imagine them all or mostly all fighting to the death as they did in Iwo Jima.

Well, as they gave up after, as you claim, only 90,000 were killed, perhaps your assumption is a little off target....

quote:
The highest numbers at Hiroshima are estimated between 65,000 and 200,000 with best estimates at 90,000. Radiation after effects deaths since then are estimated at a thousand.

No matter how you slice it, at that time and at that place, the "just" thing to do was to save Millions and Millions of lives by dropping the bomb on 90,000 lives.

The bombs were dropped on CIVILIAN targets not military ones and if you think the deliberate murder, the deliberate slaughter and irradiation, of 100's of 1000's of civilian lives is "just" I thank god you dont control any weapons!

Decency is not a numbers game to be calculated by accountants Geo. That you appear to think it is speaks volumes about you.

Posted by the_raptor (# 10533) on :

quote:
Whatever people might think of the blanket bombing of Dresden et al, there was the blitz first. Not only this but had those blanket bombings not occurred, would the Nazis have stopped? Would they have been convinced that their time was up? The same applies to Japan, which had a culture engrained with not losing face under any circumstances whatsoever. How many allies were to die before Japan stopped? Faced with such scenarios, what were the leaders of the allied nations supposed to do? It was a truly tough call.

From what I have read the blanket bombings if anything increased the resolve of Germany. The idea was to demoralize but the reality was a bit different.

The use of nuclear weapons against Japan was a bit different, because America could blow away a whole city with one airplane (Of course they had so few bombs that it wasn't a credible threat). But you have to ask why was an invasion neccesary at all? The Japanese army at that point was pretty much defeated, and Japan would have been easy to blockade. And personally I think those bombs should have landed on the Emperor and his generals. If you need to take out a bad guy you shoot him, you don't shoot his son and then threaten to shoot his daughter if he doesn't surrender.

Just curious if anyone bothered to read my links on the Rape of Nanking.

There were aproxamaetly 300,000 people murdered in Nanking over the course of six weeks. Aprox. 20,000 females of all ages from young children to geriatrics raped and then murdered. Pregnant women raped, and then sliced open so their fetus' could be removed.

Thats what Japanese occupation was like. Pardon me if I don't weep to loudly over any deaths caused by ending their regime.

The British reacted to the Blitz with what only be called defiance. It made the people at home feel that they were experiencing part of what the men "at the front" were going through. It also gave the men "at the front" something to fight for- "let's get the job done to save our people at home" sort of thing.

In that light, it is amazing that the mass bombing of Germany was heralded as the way to cause demoralisation in Germany. But the command structure in an army/whatever force works the same way as in any large business- the guy with the confidence wins over or bullies the less-sure until the program is run, however disastrous it may be.

This is true of any war or revolution. Whatever the reasons for going in, there will always be the desire to "win" at whatever cost once the thing is running. This will muddy the view of the "just"ness of the startup, and cause the revisionists to play forever, but to hell with that, we're in it to win!

More recently, we have seen the need for "shock and awe" as a device to get all the mouth-breathers on side with the leader's decision- don't all those big bangs and neat weapons simply justify our decision? And a few well-placed comments about wimps and surrender-monkeys will take care of enough of the rest!

I'll say it again for the slower students: there were enough reasons before, during and after to be able to say that, on the whole, WW2 was "just"- but, yes, there were errors of judgment and enough active wish-making to make the outcome less than totally just. Get over it.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

I understood there to be seven conditions for a just war in the Catholic tradition. It has usually been understood as a concession to the imperfection of human nature: not going to war is always regarded as the better option in the same way that giving up all your possessions is better than keeping them. (But since we have possessions there are rules about how we acquire them and dispose of them.)

The rules are:

1) There must be a just cause: that is the original provocation must be serious and grave.
2) The consequences of going to war must be better than the consequences of not going to war.
3) It must be a last resort.
4) There must be a reasonable chance of success.
5) There must be a legitimate authority to declare the war.
6) The legitimate authority must have just intentions. This doesn't actually mean that they must mean well - that's between them and God. Anyway, if they don't have just intentions they won't care about this discussion at all. What it comes down to is that all military actions must be aimed at 1) or 2) or 6), and once 1) and 2) are achieved, peace must be negotiated. (No unconditional surrender.)
7) Only just means must be used. i.e. no deliberate and intentional bombing or killing civilians, no invading neutral countries.

This conditions must all be met. It's not enough to say that going to war will save lives if you haven't reached the last resort yet.

Note that the conduct of the Allies (UK and US) in the Second World War breached 7 on several occasions, and 6, since they required both Germany and Japan to surrender unconditionally.
1) and 2) seem to me to have been clearly met, but that's irrelevant to whether the Allies offended against 6.

Dafyd

quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:

There were aproxamaetly 300,000 people murdered in Nanking over the course of six weeks. Aprox. 20,000 females of all ages from young children to geriatrics raped and then murdered. Pregnant women raped, and then sliced open so their fetus' could be removed.

Thats what Japanese occupation was like. Pardon me if I don't weep to loudly over any deaths caused by ending their regime.

These things were not done by the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. That is a strange sense of justice to punish those who had nothing to do with the act. It would be like punishing the Iraqi people for the sins of Sadam.

If you knew that torturing a child might allow you to find the location of a nuclear bomb that might kill thousands of civilians, but which might not actually exist at all, would you do it?

The principle at stake is exactly the same as that of whether dropping a nuclear bomb is justified if it might save thousands of lives in a war (but you don't know for certain that the enemy won't surrender if you ask them nicely and offer honourable terms).

If you are in favour of dropping the nuclear bomb, you are committed to the claim that there is no act so horrible that it might not be justified under some circumstances. (Since there is pretty much no act so intrinsically horrible as dropping a nuclear bomb on a civilian population.)

Personally I don't believe that.

Here's a question. Do you believe that if Truman had said, killing children is abhorrent to the Lord; I will trust not in the nuclear bomb, but in the Lord my God - would God in his gracious providence have allowed the consequences of such a decision to be as horrible as dropping a nuclear bomb was?

Dafyd

quote:
would God in his gracious providence have allowed the consequences of such a decision to be as horrible as dropping a nuclear bomb was?

Probably, yes. If not worse. The consiquences of not dropping at least the Hiroshima bomb (I have to admit I've never been quite sure about Nagasaki) would have undoubtedly lead to many more deaths of both soldiers and yes, civilians as well.

God has given us moral discernment for a reason. Things are never just black-and-white.

The option for america was dropping a bomb off the tokyo coast so everyone could see it, then saying "we have another and all your cities are made of wood and all your children will burn, now stop this foolishness an meet us for peace". Instead they chose to nuke 1000s of families, twice. A state that does that has embraced something VERY dark indeed.

quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:

Uh right. I wouldn't weep much for soldiers or government officials. But I do weep for civilians who had nothing to do with the atrocities that their governments and soldiers committed. As I said earlier it is a bit like killing a murderers family to punish the murderer. In other words completely insane and immoral.

quote:
The option for america was dropping a bomb off the tokyo coast so everyone could see it, then saying "we have another and all your cities are made of wood and all your children will burn, now stop this foolishness an meet us for peace". Instead they chose to nuke 1000s of families, twice. A state that does that has embraced something VERY dark indeed.

Well they did have a good reason for that really. They had so few bombs that they couldn't really waste one. Really the whole thing was about ending the war so that the economy could recover. If they had wanted they could have finished off the Japanese forces, bombed it's industry to rubble, and had a naval blockade around the whole country. But that would have taken time and money that they didn't want to spend.

Of course from an entirely un-Christian perspective I approve of the two bombings. It is a primordial human urge to hurt your enemy so badly that he will never hurt you again.

Teapot
quote:

These things were not done by the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. That is a strange sense of justice to punish those who had nothing to do with the act. It would be like punishing the Iraqi people for the sins of Sadam.

Absolutely.

Even if the contestable assumptions Mad Geo makes about the ‘benefits’ of dropping the Hiroshima bomb are accepted, then why the need for a second one on Nagasaki? These were crimes against humanity in the real sense of the words, unjustified morally, spiritually and possibly politically.

quote:

The same could be said about the residents of London, Liverpool, and the other towns and cities in Britain that were hit by the Nazis, over and over again. I wonder ... if the Nazis hadn't involved civilians in WW2, would The Bomb ever have been dropped?

Something else I wonder is this. The Nazis were developing atomic potential to use against the allies. That the Americans got there first was because a physicist crossed the tracks. What if the Nazis had got there first? What if there had been no concerted effort to curtail their progress?

I refuse to judge, personally. I wasn't there. Given all the options at that time, the horrendous loss of life all round up to that time, the potential for loss of life if the war continued at that time, I do not feel in a position to judge the use of the atomic bomb.

I would view it entirely differently if considered now, however. But then, I think there is no justification whatsoever for suicide bombers. Some do, though.

[ 04. January 2006, 21:28: Message edited by: Littlelady ]

Often, but not always, the reason for suicide bombers is "as you sow, so shall you reap".....especially for Zion (Israel is a people, not a state) who have learned much from their Nazi oppressors.... Not a "I support them" but an "I understand how they are made".

quote:
Often, but not always, the reason for suicide bombers is "as you sow, so shall you reap".....especially for Zion (Israel is a people, not a state) who have learned much from their Nazi oppressors.... Not a "I support them" but an "I understand how they are made".

Mmm *strokes chin thoughtfully*. Interesting. I have absolutely no clue at all as to how a suicide bomber is "made". All I know is that they are full of hatred and couldn't give a damn about who they destroy with their hatred. That alone means I have absolutely no understanding of them at all. And no sympathy whatsoever.

The interesting bit, however, is that you can in some way connect to a suicide bomber, but are frank and explicit in your condemnation of Britain, the US, Australia, NZ, Canada and numerous others in fighting for their own freedom against tyranny.

I guess politics is all! [Disappointed]

quote:
I have absolutely no clue at all as to how a suicide bomber is "made". All I know is that they are full of hatred and couldn't give a damn about who they destroy with their hatred. That alone means I have absolutely no understanding of them at all. And no sympathy whatsoever.

The interesting bit, however, is that you can in some way connect to a suicide bomber, but are frank and explicit in your condemnation of Britain, the US, Australia, NZ, Canada and numerous others in fighting for their own freedom against tyranny.

I guess politics is all! [Disappointed]

I can have sympathy for someone dragged so far into darkness that they turn to this path and I can understand what has lead them there, without supporting them. Similarly I can have the same approach to Nazi germany and the US/UK/USSR etc.

quote:
The same could be said about the residents of London, Liverpool, and the other towns and cities in Britain that were hit by the Nazis, over and over again.

Yes.

quote:

I wonder ... if the Nazis hadn't involved civilians in WW2, would The Bomb ever have been dropped?

To say the Nazis were responsible for the atomic attacks against Japan may require a bit of revisionism. I do not think any stringent chain of deduction could be constructed to support this. Unless you are speaking of the chaos-theoretic butterfly causing hurricanes, of course.

Personally, I think the Americans nuked Japan for a number of reasons:
1) To win the pacific theater before the Red Army entered the theater.
2) To frighten the Soviets.
3) They were interested in how exactly the cities would get blasted to pieces.
4) They were feeling especially grumpy that morning.
5) Because they could.

quote:

Something else I wonder is this. The Nazis were developing atomic potential to use against the allies. That the Americans got there first was because a physicist crossed the tracks.

Which physicist are you talking about? I do not remember any. Also, there is slim evidence that WW2 Germany ever was interested in atomic weapons. This was speculated by Einstein at that time though, in itself being sufficient reason to build it.

[Edit: Fixed typo]

[ 04. January 2006, 22:12: Message edited by: FiliusSyon ]

quote:
I can have sympathy for someone dragged so far into darkness that they turn to this path and I can understand what has lead them there, without supporting them. Similarly I can have the same approach to Nazi germany and the US/UK/USSR etc.

Now you seem to be comparing the UK and US with suicide bombers as well as the Nazis! Oh dear.

I think I'll opt out at this point, if that's ok.

quote:

I think that comparision of the State of Israel with the Nazis is quite repulsive, no matter how heavy-handed some of the Israli techiques are.

Sorry. I cited the wrong post. The citation should read:
quote:

quote:
quote:

I think that comparision of the State of Israel with the Nazis is quite repulsive, no matter how heavy-handed some of the Israli techiques are.
Their tactics go well beyond heavy-handed Filius.

If they had "learned" from the Nazis, I doubt there would still be any Palestinian people to speak of.

Even Zion could not get away with that so blatantly....

Now what is that supposed to mean, please? Are you saying they would eradicate the Palestinians, given the chance?

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:

A thing that was learned by the U.S. in Vietnam/Somalia and Russia in Afghanistan is that for a war to be wise it needs a few things:

2. Overwhelming Force
3. An exit strategy.

Well, in the light of recent events I find it highly doubtful that the US has indeed learned this "wisdom". However, the question is anyway what sort of "wisdom" we are talking about here. Maybe your wisdom is nothing but "prudent calculation of advantage". Can it be wisdom in a Christian sense to leave something as evil as the LRA in existence? Or do we have to combat such an evil no matter what? Anyway, I'm being personally hypocritical since I wouldn't raise my arm as volunteer...

quote:
Not so. "Just war" theory deals with the time prior to war, jus ad bellum, the conduct of the war, jus in bello and more recently has been extended to include actions after the war just post bellum.

All of which, of course, have been discussed in my post. [Roll Eyes] Nevertheless, the typical Aquinas-type "Just War" tick list that always gets cited concerns the decision to go to war or not (and possibly when to end it), that is, it is applied prior to the war. Obviously, we can discuss justice during and after the war as well. Which is what I did.

quote:

My goodness how optimistic (and incorrect) you are. For you see history says you are wrong. The Japanese military did not give up even after they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and the emporer himself had to intervene to stop the war even after the second bombing.

You seem to be short on solutions and long on blind ideology here.

You don't do math:
quote:
Decency is not a numbers game to be calculated by accountants Geo.

You don't do hypotheticals:
quote:

So how exactly do you create a cogent opinion and justify it Teapot? Ouija Board? Just proclaiming you are holy while saying that I am apparently morally bankrupt while you seem to be prepared to sacrifice millions to save 10s of thousands doesn't cut it down here in Purg (or in the real world for that matter).

P.S. Nicolmrw, good links.

quote:
quote:

2. Overwhelming Force
3. An exit strategy.

Well, in the light of recent events I find it highly doubtful that the US has indeed learned this "wisdom". However, the question is anyway what sort of "wisdom" we are talking about here. Maybe your wisdom is nothing but "prudent calculation of advantage". Can it be wisdom in a Christian sense to leave something as evil as the LRA in existence? Or do we have to combat such an evil no matter what? Anyway, I'm being personally hypocritical since I wouldn't raise my arm as volunteer...

I will answer my post even though it was attributed to Chapelhead [Big Grin]

On Iraq, I would agree that we are lacking in number 3, however, the year is young even if this president is a halfwit.

You are bringing in two seperate topics as I see it. There is 1) the religious perspective and yes from that perspective it would certainly be just to kill of the LRA IMHO. Then there is 2) the State perspective and in that case it would be just also, but not practical, and in States practicality does matter. The only time a State should combat evil is when it is in the best interests of the people of that State to do so, since it is the people of that State that will be dying for the cause.

I would suggest reading "the Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes, before you go on making all these claims about who did what to whom while ignoring provable fact.

Yes, the Germans had a plan to develop an atomic bomb, but a) didn't have enough material to work with and b) what little they had was taken out by British raids on the heavy water plant in Norway, among other things.

Yes, many (mostly Jewish) German scientists came to the US as a result of a) Germany driving them out and b) Einstein and others asking for them to come.

Yes, the Japanese had the theory of the bomb worked out, but didn't have the capability to build one.

Yes, the Americans could have dropped just one bomb, but they a) had two different types to test and b) wanted a quick resolution, which the first bomb didn't quite do. And, yes, The Emperor overrode the militarists and asked for a peace settlement.

And Truman did agonise over the decision, but felt in the end that the use of the bomb was the lesser of two evils. Moral fine points don't work against fanatics, such as the kamikaze (who were a real threat, not just some video game)

Wars aren't purely John Wayne riding into town and saving the girl- someone gets killed when there is gunplay, whatever the gun nuts like to think. The guys killed fighting for/against Franco in 1936 are just as dead as the guys killed by Donald Rumsfeld's arms dealing in recent history.

I got my sources for my posts, or were you talking to someone else?

quote:
The Japanese military did not give up even after they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and the emporer himself had to intervene to stop the war even after the second bombing.

So the bombs had very little effect on the military……and instead relied on the influence of one person….maybe they could have tried influencing him in a way that did not involve slaughtering 100s 0f 1000s of civilians.

quote:
So how exactly do you create a cogent opinion and justify it Teapot? Ouija Board?
By looking at the situation at the time instead of making sweeping statements that fail to take account of situational nuances.

quote:
Just proclaiming you are holy while saying that I am apparently morally bankrupt while you seem to be prepared to sacrifice millions to save 10s of thousands doesn't cut it down here in Purg (or in the real world for that matter).
By the time of Hiroshima Japan was no threat to anyone. It was pursued to unconditional surrender on its home soil for vengeance.

[ 05. January 2006, 07:47: Message edited by: Teapot ]

quote:
...maybe they could have tried influencing him in a way that did not involve slaughtering 100s 0f 1000s of civilians....

What a good idea. I bet they never thought of that. I bet nobody even paused for a moment to consider if there way to do it without slaughter, such was the darkness their souls had embraced.

It seems to me you do do hypotheticals. You've done a hypothetical to disagree with the concept of a just war. You now want to argue each situation out to prove your prior hypothetical.

Then you'll agree that just fighting exists - but avoid answering the question on just war by saying you don't do hypotheticals.

quote:
you don't do hypotheticals.

I dont do "what if" looking at the future Mdijon.

quote:
What a good idea. I bet they never thought of that. I bet nobody even paused for a moment to consider if there way to do it without slaughter, such was the darkness their souls had embraced.
Considering they used nukes TWICE and on CIVILIAN cities, in order to get Japan to surrender UNCONDITIONALLY to a country who still thought it right to beat up black guys for drinking from the wrong fountain....no I would hazard a guess that "nobody even paused for a moment to consider if there way to do it without slaughter, such was the darkness their souls had embraced" is a very accurate description.

quote:
quote:
The Japanese military did not give up even after they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and the emporer himself had to intervene to stop the war even after the second bombing.

So the bombs had very little effect on the military……and instead relied on the influence of one person….maybe they could have tried influencing him in a way that did not involve slaughtering 100s 0f 1000s of civilians.

Teapot, with respect, this is even more far-fetched than suggesting Churchill could have interfered in Switzerland's decision to remain neutral (as you did earlier). I'd suggest you read up on Japanese culture and history prior to WW2, not to mention the history of the decision to bomb in the first place. Warnings and options to surrender had already been transmitted to the Emporer before the first bomb was ever dropped.

I can't remember if the Emporer lived beyond his decision to surrender or did he commit suicide? (I can't spell the Japanese term)

The emperor lived and abdicated in his position as the son of the sun godess. Btw the proper word would be sepuku, LittleLady. "Harakiri" is usually not used , as it is considered undignified(literally means "belly-cutting").

quote:
Considering they used nukes TWICE and on CIVILIAN cities, in order to get Japan to surrender UNCONDITIONALLY to a country who still thought it right to beat up black guys for drinking from the wrong fountain....no I would hazard a guess that "nobody even paused for a moment to consider if there way to do it without slaughter, such was the darkness their souls had embraced" is a very accurate description.

Using that kind of reasoning, Japan was "a country that raped, killed and murdered civilians and prisoners"

You've still not answered clearly whether you believe in a just war, and, if not, what the difference between fighting and a war is.

quote:
The emperor lived and abdicated in his position as the son of the sun godess. Btw the proper word would be sepuku, LittleLady. "Harakiri" is usually not used , as it is considered undignified(literally means "belly-cutting").

Thank you, FiliusSyon. I had totally forgotten what happened to him.

And I would have been unable to spell either term! [Smile]

quote:
quote:
These things were not done by the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. That is a strange sense of justice to punish those who had nothing to do with the act.

The same could be said about the residents of London, Liverpool, and the other towns and cities in Britain that were hit by the Nazis, over and over again.
I realise that there is a widespread human belief that if you have been sinned against that entitles you to sin as much as you want.

So people think that just because the Israeli Army have bulldozed your home/ Hamas has sent suicide bombers to kill your relatives, that entitles you to kill Israeli children/ kill Palestinian children.

I suppose it works something like this:

What they did proves that They are Evil.
We oppose them.
Therefore We are Good.
Therefore, anything we do is Good because We are Good.

I do not think it is a valid principle in Christian ethics however. Furthermore, I think Christian ethics includes the principle that we shall not do evil even so that good may come.

Dafyd

quote:
Using that kind of reasoning, Japan was "a country that raped, killed and murdered civilians and prisoners"

My point was there was a lot of darkness on each side and neither fought for a just cause. It was King Kong vrs Godzilla. Two monsters fighting….whoever wins, it’s a monster.

quote:
You've still not answered clearly whether you believe in a just war, and, if not, what the difference between fighting and a war is.
Fighting is an action; it can be justifiable in extremis. War is fighting that has momentum and anything that gains momentum can easily roll over the innocent and threatening alike.

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
quote:
These things were not done by the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. That is a strange sense of justice to punish those who had nothing to do with the act.

I realise that there is a widespread human belief that if you have been sinned against that entitles you to sin as much as you want.

That may be the case, but please don't include me in that, because that isn't what I was saying at all. I was responding to Teapot's point, and no more.

I don't perceive what Britain did - declaring war on the Nazis when they invaded Poland - as being evil. I never will see it like that. Entrenched in my view am I. I don't see it as non-Christian either; there is nothing in the Bible to say that we must let people get slaughtered and look the other way. That may be Jesus' instruction to us, as individuals, in response to aggression against us, as individuals; but not when it comes to other people.

Coming to the aid of an ally is not evil; defending our own people against attack (which was not going to go away through negotiation - that had been tried) is not evil. imo.

quote:
Fighting is an action; it can be justifiable in extremis. War is fighting that has momentum and anything that gains momentum can easily roll over the innocent and threatening alike.

Could a nation not be in extremis? Individuals fighting would not have saved the Rwandan Tutsis.

quote:
quote:

Could a nation not be in extremis? Individuals fighting would not have saved the Rwandan Tutsis.
I wonder something. Could the outside world have done anything to stop this? I heard at the time there were indicators that things were heating up, but 'no-one' took the situation on board. Often America et al are criticised for intervening militarily in situations external to their own national boundaries, but would this have been an exception? It's hypothetical, I know, because the slaughter happened. But, well, I just wonder.

quote:
quote:

A nation, like a corporation, is not really a person, no matter how many laws claim otherwise so a nation cannot be in extremis. If you need to fight, fight, and constantly evaluate what you are fighting for, rather than get sucked into a "war" which is a construct into which fighting fits but which is treated as if it has goals of its own as a cover for abuses.

I'm sure that the Jewish "nation" would really appreciate their view on their corporate-ness as the walked toward the gas chamber. I'm sure that the Nazi's would have loved for the Allies to fight as individuals to fight as sole-in-extremis units so that they could be easily slaughtered since they were not a corporate body. I am sure that Japan, would have loved the same siutuation so that they could preserve the culture intact that led up to half the war in the first place.

Somehow I suspect that when it came to working out a peaceful resolution that you would be happy for the U.N. to step in as a fictitious agent (i.e. Corporation) and solve all the wars of the world.

So far your way would have resulted in Japan retaining its raping, invading, horrific culture (at that time) and probably resulted in more individuals in extremis. Your way would have resulted in Nazis holding on to the conquered lands since the french (At that time) couldn't fight their way out of a shoebox. Your way does not take into account that individuals such as Hitler and corporate bodies such as the military in charge of Japan have inertia and sometimes will not stop until faced with thier own destruction by whatever means necessary. For you see that during WWII the only way to strike at the brains was to roll through the civilians. It wasn't like now where we could sen a cruise missile in to hit a 2 foot square anywhere on the earth.

I (like others) strongly recommend you read up on the culture of Japan during the time of WWII and try not to think in terms of how you would have liked for them to be instead of how they actually were. Interestingly while history is often written by the victors, the Japanese and Germans have many many writings on why and how their respective countries went bad. They certainly are not the "victor". Of course the Japanese still to this day have problems admitting their sins as well, which says something about how their mindset was and is.

quote:
I (like others) strongly recommend you read up on the culture of Japan during the time of WWII and try not to think in terms of how you would have liked for them to be instead of how they actually were.

This makes no sense. I have repeatedly agree that darkness was well entrenched ON ALL SIDES. Yet you appear to be suggesting, in saying “read up on the culture of Japan during the time of WWII and try not to think in terms of how you would have liked for them to be instead of how they actually were”, that I said that this was not the case.

quote:
Of course the Japanese still to this day have problems admitting their sins as well, which says something about how their mindset was and is.
As do the English (for Dresden – Bomber Harris’ statue remains) and the Americans (for Hiroshima and Nagasaki). It is a fond deceit to think of your country being on the side of decency in any war….but a deceit it remains in this matter.

You can claim nuking two civilians cities was a lesser evil than the raping of nanking till you are blue in the face, but evil remains evil.

quote:
quote:
I (like others) strongly recommend you read up on the culture of Japan during the time of WWII and try not to think in terms of how you would have liked for them to be instead of how they actually were.

This makes no sense. I have repeatedly agree that darkness was well entrenched ON ALL SIDES.
And me and Mad Geo are disagreeing with you. That is the point. You are claiming the allies were as dark as the Nazis and the Japanese (at that time). We are contesting that, and suggesting that you read to inform yourself of your mistake.

I do not, and never will, believe that the British, Americans, Australians, Poles, Czecs, New Zealanders, Africans, Indians, Canadians, free French, Belgians, and all others who comprised "the allies" were at any time guilty of the darkness perpetrated by the Nazis and the Japanese (of that time), regardless of what happened after WW2 ended (which was the initial justification you gave for your view) or how the war itself ended.

quote:
quote:
quote:

This makes no sense. I have repeatedly agree that darkness was well entrenched ON ALL SIDES.
And me and Mad Geo are disagreeing with you. That is the point. You are claiming the allies were as dark as the Nazis and the Japanese (at that time). We are contesting that, and suggesting that you read to inform yourself of your mistake.

I do not, and never will, believe that the British, Americans, Australians, Poles, Czecs, New Zealanders, Africans, Indians, Canadians, free French, Belgians, and all others who comprised "the allies" were at any time guilty of the darkness perpetrated by the Nazis and the Japanese (of that time), regardless of what happened after WW2 ended (which was the initial justification you gave for your view) or how the war itself ended.

Then we shall have to agree to disagree as I see a different aspect of darkness in the side that brought you bombing dresden that compared to coventry, boming two civilian japanese cities with nukes, ignored the plight of the holocaust victims rather than give away that enigma was broken, had (in the US) criminally abusive race oppression, and went on to bring you such wonders as "greed is good" as the social mantra, an economy dependent on keeping the third world in povety/drawing on sweatshops for its luxuries and "lets sell arms to anyone" as their "defence policy".

Posted by OliviaG (# 9881) on :

While the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki have been mentioned repeatedly here, I haven't noticed any reference to the intense fire-bombing of Japan. This was a bit of history I was completely unaware of until I saw "The Fog of War." A quick trip to Wikipedia turned up this:

quote:
Precise figures are not available but the firebombing and nuclear bombing campaign against Japan, directed by LeMay between March, 1945 and the Japanese surrender in August, 1945, may have killed more than one million Japanese civilians. Official estimates from the United States Strategic Bombing Survey put the figures at 330,000 people killed, 476,000 injured, 8.5 million people made homeless and 2.5 million buildings destroyed. Nearly half the built-up areas of sixty-four cities were totally destroyed.
Source: Curtis LeMay's Entry in Wikipedia

WWII seems to be the favorite example of a just war, but information like this has made it harder and harder for me to believe that "just war" isn't an oxymoron. OliviaG

Sorry to double-post but, I was excessively affected by the quote above, and neglected to add an additional point. From the Wiki article cited, "Roosevelt and Truman justified these tactics by referring to an estimate that one million American troops would be killed if Japan had to be invaded." leo very helpfully posted 4 points to define a just war, which included "4. The cost of fighting must not outweigh the cost of not fighting (Prudential judgement) - consequences." When determining the cost of fighting, does one include the costs on BOTH sides, or only the cost to one's own side? I know that seems like an unbelievably dense question, but I want to make sure I understand. Thanks, OliviaG

We seem to be having a round of two (or more) sides of an argument repeating themselves, possibly in the hope that someone will get tired and go away.

Lets try again. In 1939, there were "good" reasons for the allies of the British to go to war. These were the reasons that caused the volunteers to sign up, despite the evidence of WW1. In the course of fighting the war. many "bad" things were done by the Allies, but it is arguable that the relative badness was not as bad as what the Germans (in particular) were doing. In the actual process of the war itself, I'm not sure that you can say either side was "worse", but the activities of the Germans and their quislings in relation to the subject peoples were clearly "worse".

Similarly, the Americans are not totally guilt-free in the run-up to the war, but they were justified in their actions during the war. The bombings of Japan pushed that limit and may have broken it. But you wouldn't have had such a large force of volunteers coming out of a "neutralist" country if the cause had been innately bad. And the actions of the Japanese in relation to the prisoners and subject races were clearly "more bad" than anything the Allies did.

So: WW2 had some aspects of a "just" war, but war in its nature can never be just as a whole. This is why the whole discussion exists.

Can we move on to something more useful than a repetition? No-one is going to win this argument, any more than anyone actually "wins" a war.

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Can we move on to something more useful than a repetition? No-one is going to win this argument, any more than anyone actually "wins" a war.

Indeed [Frown]

The thing about WWII is that, as a fight against the Nazi's tis often brought up as the closest thing to a just war when it is a lot more complicated than "the guys in the white hats vrs the nasty nazis".

But yeah...2 different view so lets move on....

Are there any other candidates for a "just" war?

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:

So: WW2 had some aspects of a "just" war, but war in its nature can never be just as a whole.

Thanks, Horseman Bree, for stating so clearly what I've been struggling with for so long. [Overused] Cheers, OliviaG

quote:

Are there any other candidates for a "just" war?

Yes, I would venture that Afghanistan was a Just War. We went in to remove a regime that harbored the people that led 9-11. The regime was clearly morally bankrupt and as aweful to its own citizens as it was to ours. The mission was accomplished in such a way as to minimize damage to civilians. Notably, very notably, there has been virtually no insurgency after the fact AND the allies have been asked to continue its presence as a military protector there, which is a pretty good indicator that the people of Afghanistan were not disappointed with the outcome of the Just War.

Now of course, because the U.S. and other involved have problems, are not saintly, and therefore will surely not measure up to the Teapot School of War Theory this will also be debated.

I thought about this use of Segregation etc. as a justification for not conducting war and realized that whole argument is also absurd. It is the expectation that the argument is, because we do not have Heaven on earth then we will deny that hell (Taliban and Axis Powers) can be dealt with on earth, through war, by the people that are trying their best to do the right thing. As opposed to the people (i.e. Taliban and Axis powers) that are actively trying to do the wrong thing.

Just because the U.S., EU, NATO, wahtever do not have it perfect does not mean we can't use force to try to stop others from making it worse.

Just because we are human does not mean we should stop trying to slay demons.

quote:
Notably, very notably, there has been virtually no insurgency after the fact AND the allies have been asked to continue its presence as a military protector there, which is a pretty good indicator that the people of Afghanistan were not disappointed with the outcome of the Just War.

Especially the opium poppy growers it seems, as production is up (http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,1284,1143881,00.html )….and the women are still second class citizens (if that - http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/afghanistan/ ).

quote:
the expectation that the argument is, because we do not have Heaven on earth then we will deny that hell (Taliban and Axis Powers) can be dealt with on earth, through war, by the people that are trying their best to do the right thing.
“seek ye first the kingdom of heaven” as you cannot deny hell except by the coming of the kingdom.

quote:
Just because we are human does not mean we should stop trying to slay demons.
Slaying demons is no guarantee of removal of demons; first check its not a demon doing the slaying…..

quote:
Yes, I would venture that Afghanistan was a Just War. We went in to remove a regime that harbored the people that led 9-11. The regime was clearly morally bankrupt and as aweful to its own citizens as it was to ours.

Two good points lead me to two questions. As I recall, the US asked Afghanistan to hand over any 9-11 suspects, and Afghanistan refused. Hence the invasion. Assuming I've got that right, since the invasion, have there been any arrests, trials or convictions connected with 9-11 of suspects captured in Afghanistan?

My second question is why was it not worth invading Afghanistan, BEFORE 9-11, if it was such an awful regime? There were 14 million women suffering under the rule of the Taliban*, but to cynical me, it looks like that wasn't anyone's problem until thousands of Americans were killed.

Cheers, OliviaG

*I'm embarrassed to admit that, of all things, I was also really bitter about the Buddhas. If you see my sense of perspective anywhere, let me know. [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
Now of course, because the U.S. and other involved have problems, are not saintly, and therefore will surely not measure up to the Teapot School of War Theory this will also be debated.

[Killing me]

I'm quite sure, to some, 9/11 was no justification whatsoever for Afghanistan. I would agree, however, that Afghanistan was a just war, especially given the attempts to avoid civilian casualties (not 100% proof but at least the intention was to be 100% proof).

Iraq, however, isn't in the same league. I have to confess to considering the notion of removing Sadam as being just, given what he did to his own people, but it just seems to have all gone so horribly wrong, which is a real shame and so sad for those Iraqis who longed to be free and in charge of their own country's destiny. Having said that, perhaps civil war is an awful but necessary part of their destiny? It's been a part of British history and American history and French history (and many histories).

quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
There were 14 million women suffering under the rule of the Taliban*, but to cynical me, it looks like that wasn't anyone's problem until thousands of Americans were killed.

Um, sorry to be pedantic, but didn't something like 50 nations lose nationals as a result of 9/11? I think we in the UK lost about 200. I'm quite sure Canada lost some people also. It wasn't just Americans: far from it.

I don't think anyone would have attempted to invade Afghanistan without 9/11, not least because of its history. To begin with, both Britain and Russia attempted to do just that in previous lives and both withdrew due to the hostile reception and hostile environment. Also, America (and possibly other nations, I don't know) had originally 'assisted' the Taliban into power (I believe during the days of the Russian occupation). On top of that there is the issue of the legality of invading for the purpose of regime change.

I can't think of any just war. Oddly, although I execrate Mrs Thatcher and all her works, the Falklands War was pretty close to being just.

I don't think the Falklands War was a matter of last resort, so it fails there. This was presumably because Margaret Thatcher's motivations were to become popular and win an election; however, her motivations are not her intentions - and her intentions were just in that the military actions undertaken was aimed at reclaiming the Falklands and at no more. The sinking of the Belgrano was wrong but far worse crimes have been committed in other wars. I suppose that one of the consequences of the war was keeping Margaret Thatcher in power, but I cannot expect her to have agreed with me that that was bad.

Dafyd

So in Teapotland, if you had 999 humans and a demon on one side, and 1000 demons on another than the 999 humans should not kill the thousand demons for fear of the one in their midst, and be slain by the 1000. Yeah that makes sense.

Oh wait, I forgot, you don't want to have to do the math. My apologies.

quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
quote:
Yes, I would venture that Afghanistan was a Just War. We went in to remove a regime that harbored the people that led 9-11. The regime was clearly morally bankrupt and as aweful to its own citizens as it was to ours.

Two good points lead me to two questions. As I recall, the US asked Afghanistan to hand over any 9-11 suspects, and Afghanistan refused. Hence the invasion. Assuming I've got that right, since the invasion, have there been any arrests, trials or convictions connected with 9-11 of suspects captured in Afghanistan?

My second question is why was it not worth invading Afghanistan, BEFORE 9-11, if it was such an awful regime? There were 14 million women suffering under the rule of the Taliban*, but to cynical me, it looks like that wasn't anyone's problem until thousands of Americans were killed.

Cheers, OliviaG

*I'm embarrassed to admit that, of all things, I was also really bitter about the Buddhas. If you see my sense of perspective anywhere, let me know. [Hot and Hormonal]

To my knowledge, the suspects captured in Afghanistan were either (justly) slain as enemy combatants or are imprisoned in Guantanamo (and for those, rightly so, I will not speak for those that are questionable however, as I am not in favor of the Getmo system as currently practiced and that's a whole nother topic).

Again, there is a time and a place for everything. States do not want to get into a quagmire like Afghanistan without 1. A good mission 2. Overwhleming Force and 3. An exit strategy. Given that the Afghanies handed the Russians their collective asses (it was the Russian Vietnam) it was highly debatable that 14 million women being treated like crap by their own government was cause enough to risk another Viet Nam. After 9-11, the harboring of suspects AND the 14 million women were a GREAT cause.

And yes I was really really pissed about the Buddhas myself. Still am. I'm glad those Taliban demons are dead.

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

Except that the Taliban are still alive and kicking and killing people like schoolteachers who dare teach girls at all -- two deaths so far in the last fortnight alone. And that in a province supposedly fully under the control of the government -- where less than a third of the schools have been able to open, because of fear of what the Taliban will do to anyone who dares teach in them.

This doesn't make the war less just than it was (or wasn't) but rather suggests claims about what it achieved should be made with some humility.

John

Posted by Henry Troup (# 3722) on :

I'd have to say that I don't really believe in a "just war", but that war is sometimes a necessary evil. I really can't swallow "never again", as my reading of history says "sometime again, no matter what."

Given the 1939 situation, is there an alternative to war? Not much. In the 1933 situation ... it could have been prevented, maybe. But hindsight is always perfect, and foresight is not.

And the prevention would not have been pretty. It would have been one of those nasty little Imperial jobs of knocking over a government of some legitimacy, and putting a bunch of guys up against a wall and shooting them, or having a show trial and hanging them, or letting them go into exile.

Neville Chamberlain was a sincere man, who desperately wanted to advance civilization. And absolutely not the best kind of man in that job in that period. He wanted disarmament so that the money could be better spent.

Winston Churchill was not well regarded between the wars. He wanted to spend money on armament and be activist in foreign policy. There's a TV series The Wilderness Years which ends with Chamberlain receiving the news that Hitler has invaded Poland. He says, "we'll have to ask Winston into the Cabinet", and the screen fades to black.

quote:
I wonder something. Could the outside world have done anything to stop this? I heard at the time there were indicators that things were heating up, but 'no-one' took the situation on board. Often America et al are criticised for intervening militarily in situations external to their own national boundaries, but would this have been an exception? It's hypothetical, I know, because the slaughter happened. But, well, I just wonder.

Yes they bloody could have done. Not so much when things were "heating up" - since the UN was there, and ahd brokered a peace deal - which went tragically wrong when the president was killed (and still unclear who shot his plane down; conspiracy theories abound).

But afterwards the UN came in to evacuate people with passports, but not Tutsis. The world stood by, and played with semantics about "acts of genocide" rather than "genocide" to justify non-interference.

It was one of the most shameful periods in the UN's history. And the slaughter of Tutsis (and some Hutus) reached a million, I think. I was in Uganda at the time; people stopped eating fish from lake Victoria for nearly half a year.

The US, the UK and Europe stood by and watched. Well, actually some European governments helped supply arms to the Hutu army.

Doing something about that would have required a just war - or at least a justifiable war. And that's what the RPF fought. Of course it was ugly, and the RPF soldiers did their own share of retaliation.... but they were admirably restrained in comparison with what they were fighting, and considering the resources they had to ensure discipline.

[ 06. January 2006, 04:21: Message edited by: mdijon ]

quote:
quote:
quote:

A nation, like a corporation, is not really a person, no matter how many laws claim otherwise so a nation cannot be in extremis. If you need to fight, fight, and constantly evaluate what you are fighting for, rather than get sucked into a "war" which is a construct into which fighting fits but which is treated as if it has goals of its own as a cover for abuses.
If Rwanda was not in extremis in 1994, your definition lets you down. It strikes me as nonsense to dispute this on the basis of using a definition that insists only an individual can be in extremis.

But then, most of your definitions strike me as nonsense. Does the holy spirit support you on this one as well, or do you have another authority that you can't tell me about?

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
This doesn't make the war less just than it was (or wasn't) but rather suggests claims about what it achieved should be made with some humility.

John

Humility is overrated. I'd rather have someone tell me their accomplishments, even if they are not a "perfect" accomplishment, than lie to me and hide them like a coward.

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I can't think of any just war. Oddly, although I execrate Mrs Thatcher and all her works, the Falklands War was pretty close to being just.

Actually, the Falklands probably fits the consequences criteria as defined by Teapot along with those criteria posited earlier, because the Falklands have gone from strength to strength since the war. They are now economically self-sufficient, they have enjoyed an increased standard of living and they were allowed to determine their own future (which was to remain British) thanks to the support of the British government - support that was requested by the Islanders themselves. I don't agree that Thatcher manipulated the situation for her own ends; I do think she squeezed as much political advantage out of the 'victory' as she could. But any prime minister would have done the same.

quote:
Except that the Taliban are still alive and kicking and killing people

Sadly, yes, this does appear to be the case. And then, of course, there are the warlords, who are largely left alone so far as I can see (possibly explaining why the Americans et al have not suffered the kinds of casualties that previous occupiers did). I don't know how much progress is being made in Afghanistan in terms of investment in infrastructure, etc. In fact, the media do seem to be giving us here in Britain anyway very little information at all on what is happening there.

quote:
quote:

John

Humility is overrated. I'd rather have someone tell me their accomplishments, even if they are not a "perfect" accomplishment, than lie to me and hide them like a coward.
That sounds like a form of humility to me; it's overrating the accomplishments that carries one outside the scope of humility.

quote:
Originally posted by Madgeo:
[quote] So in Teapotland, if you had 999 humans and a demon on one side, and 1000 demons on another than the 999 humans should not kill the thousand demons for fear of the one in their midst, and be slain by the 1000. Yeah that makes sense.

If that made sense why did it take me several read-throughs to get what you were saying?! [Biased]

You argument is fallacious Geo, it is not 1000 demons vrs 999 humans and 1 demon, it is two sides both motivated by a spirit of darkness. One side is more subtle and less heavy handed but given their behaviour (consider also shooting “cowards”) to try and suggest this was a war between the just and the unjust is so far into delusion as to be not surprising when you later say: I'm glad those Taliban demons are dead. . They were not demons, they were people deluded by demons, and your attitude is so far from the love of god, finding gladness in the death of others, I wonder on who it is you serve yourself.

quote:
Humility is overrated.
Volumes spoken in 3 simple words.

quote:
Originally posted by Mdijon:
[quote] If Rwanda was not in extremis in 1994, your definition lets you down. It strikes me as nonsense to dispute this on the basis of using a definition that insists only an individual can be in extremis.

The **people** of Rwanda were indeed in extremis, and as I have said I have no problems with defending loved ones with lethal force if necessary. When people become an army mob psychology takes over and **that** leads to more abuses than individuals drawn to a common cause by love.

The people of Rwanda are the nation of Rwanda.

The individual people of Rwanda each doing their best to protect their own were ineffective in stopping the genocide. It was only the advance of the RPF army that stopped the genocide.

quote:
It was one of the most shameful periods in the UN's history. And the slaughter of Tutsis (and some Hutus) reached a million, I think. I was in Uganda at the time; people stopped eating fish from lake Victoria for nearly half a year.

The US, the UK and Europe stood by and watched. Well, actually some European governments helped supply arms to the Hutu army.

Doing something about that would have required a just war - or at least a justifiable war. And that's what the RPF fought. Of course it was ugly, and the RPF soldiers did their own share of retaliation.... but they were admirably restrained in comparison with what they were fighting, and considering the resources they had to ensure discipline.

I agree with you, based on what I remember. I can still see the church with all the bodies in it, and the bodies floating in the water - it's not surprising local people didn't take water from Lake Victoria for so long. The slaughter was grotesque.

Perhaps the problem was the UN? It's very structure, I mean. The fact that the UN was there meant, did it not, that a consensus had to be achieved before action could be taken? It seems that when consensus within the UN is required, little more than mumbling and inaction is the result. Had the States been under a different leadership, maybe they would have taken the lead? Maybe not, though. They were at a different period in their history. Also, Britain was in a political mess at that stage so strong leadership from us was not a possibility.

If preventative action was in fact possible, as you suggest it was, then this makes the lack of it a crime against the Tutsis. Do you know where the country is up to these days? It's been a long time since I have seen any update.

It wasn't as if any country agitated for the UN to go in. The US certainly didn't - neither did any European countries... or Australia or Canada, AFAIR.

Rwanda seems to have done an incredible job at dealing with the genocide. There have been public reconcilliations between communities - people have been received back after making confessions of their roles - monuments are open to the public, to testify to the horror and ensure it doesn't happen again.....

Paul Kagame is the president (Tutsi), but seems to do a good job of being Rwandan first and Tutsi second. Unfortunately, he's embroiled in meddling with affairs in DRC, and the Interhamwe are still there, over the border.

Unfortunately, the Interhamwe

quote:

The individual people of Rwanda each doing their best to protect their own were ineffective in stopping the genocide. It was only the advance of the RPF army that stopped the genocide.

I wonder on what attrocities were done in return... Given how hard it is to find a "Just" war I would hazard a guess that the reaction was probably abusive as well.

Fighting for the love of someone you want to defend is just. Fighting for the hatred of someone you want to kill is not.

quote:
and your attitude is so far from the love of god, finding gladness in the death of others, I wonder on who it is you serve yourself.

Isn't this a bit personal, Teapot?

I don't think anyone on here finds gladness in the death of others. Your own position appears to deny any form of justice. It appears to be saying that the only form of approved resistence is hand to hand combat. That is impossible to enact when a group walk into a church all guns blazing and slaughter men, women and children who are unarmed and defenceless. Such advocates of hatred and terror have to be stopped and the only way to stop them is by force, as was evidenced in Rwanda. The worshippers in the church in Rwanda had no darkness; they did not attempt to kill the Hutus who took their lives; they did not have any recourse to defend themselves. The darkness was in the Hutus, and the Hutus alone. Yet I know you will disagree and, as such, you give the impression of appeasement, of condoning hideous acts of tyrany, of turning away and walking on the other side of the road.

That may not be how you view things, but it is certainly how your position comes across on this thread.

quote:
quote:
and your attitude is so far from the love of god, finding gladness in the death of others, I wonder on who it is you serve yourself.

It is personal Littlelady. It’s a response to a personal statement from Madgeo that I'm glad those Taliban demons are dead. .

quote:
I don't think anyone on here finds gladness in the death of others.
It appears from Geo’s post that this is not the case.

quote:
advocates of hatred and terror have to be stopped and the only way to stop them is by force, as was evidenced in Rwanda.
Indeed, but not by force motivated by the same spirit they themselves were in service to.

quote:
Yet I know you will disagree and, as such, you give the impression of appeasement, of condoning hideous acts of tyrany, of turning away and walking on the other side of the road.

That may not be how you view things, but it is certainly how your position comes across on this thread.

I’d like to know how you can suggest that when I say fighting can be just…..

[ 06. January 2006, 08:36: Message edited by: Teapot ]

With an added ammendment that Force is NOT the only way to stop hatred and violence, it is not even the main way, but is a means to defend against extreme danger.

quote:
quote:
quote:

It is personal Littlelady. It’s a response to a personal statement from Madgeo that I'm glad those Taliban demons are dead. .
Except MG's statement wasn't directed at you personally; whereas yours was directed at MG personally. I am glad that Hitler is dead; he can't slaughter anyone else when he is dead. That doesn't mean I sit here and rejoice in his death, which is what you are inferring from MadGeo's posts. But this is too Hellish for Purgatory and I don't want to derail the thread.

On the issue of fighting, you have said that, in effect, hand to hand combat can be just (one to one fighting) so long as the motives of those fighting are not the same: namely, the defender is not angry but in fact is fighting out of love.

If I have understood your position correctly then I would suggest it is an impossible one to justify because no-one knows the intentions of anyone. Sometimes, not even the person themselves is aware of their intentions. So judging whether a fight or a war is just based solely upon the intentions of individuals is totally unrealistic, and you would indeed be advocating a 'pass by on the other side' position in that instance.

I believe, for example, that had I witnessed the slaughter in the Rwandan church and had I had a gun in my hands at the time, knowing the way I get when I see injustice happening and how much violence upsets me, I would be very likely to shoot the killers on sight. Yes I would be angry - they had slaughtered unarmed, innocent people in front of my eyes. But also I would be afraid - that they would go on and do exactly the same thing to someone else. In a volatile situation as the Rwandan slaughter was, there is no time to be nice, to sit in court and pass laws, to call in a negotiator. Sometimes, spur of the moment decisions have to be taken in order to save lives from people determined to kill with impunity. So far as I can see, your position does not allow for such a situation.

quote:
Except MG's statement wasn't directed at you personally; whereas yours was directed at MG personally.

If someone says “I am X” are you suggesting that saying “that also means you are Y” is not appropriate?

quote:
On the issue of fighting, you have said that, in effect, hand to hand combat can be just (one to one fighting) so long as the motives of those fighting are not the same: namely, the defender is not angry but in fact is fighting out of love.
I have said acting out of love, to defend, if fine. Acting out of hate, to destroy, is not. Mob minds and army organisation promote the latter, not the former.

An army is just mob vengeance with a hierarchy attached….

quote:
If I have understood your position correctly then I would suggest it is an impossible one to justify because no-one knows the intentions of anyone. Sometimes, not even the person themselves is aware of their intentions. So judging whether a fight or a war is just based solely upon the intentions of individuals is totally unrealistic, and you would indeed be advocating a 'pass by on the other side' position in that instance.
By the same standard marriage is also impossible [Smile]

quote:
I believe, for example, that had I witnessed the slaughter in the Rwandan church and had I had a gun in my hands at the time, knowing the way I get when I see injustice happening and how much violence upsets me, I would be very likely to shoot the killers on sight.
“Judge not, that ye be not judged”

“Love your enemy”

quote:
Yes I would be angry - they had slaughtered unarmed, innocent people in front of my eyes. But also I would be afraid - that they would go on and do exactly the same thing to someone else. In a volatile situation as the Rwandan slaughter was, there is no time to be nice, to sit in court and pass laws, to call in a negotiator. Sometimes, spur of the moment decisions have to be taken in order to save lives from people determined to kill with impunity. So far as I can see, your position does not allow for such a situation.
“Seek ye first the kingdom of god” and if in the love of god you will do what is right. If, however, you embrace the spirit of rage you will not.

quote:
quote:
I believe, for example, that had I witnessed the slaughter in the Rwandan church and had I had a gun in my hands at the time, knowing the way I get when I see injustice happening and how much violence upsets me, I would be very likely to shoot the killers on sight.

“Love your enemy”

quote:
Yes I would be angry - they had slaughtered unarmed, innocent people in front of my eyes. But also I would be afraid - that they would go on and do exactly the same thing to someone else. In a volatile situation as the Rwandan slaughter was, there is no time to be nice, to sit in court and pass laws, to call in a negotiator. Sometimes, spur of the moment decisions have to be taken in order to save lives from people determined to kill with impunity. So far as I can see, your position does not allow for such a situation.
“Seek ye first the kingdom of god” and if in the love of god you will do what is right. If, however, you embrace the spirit of rage you will not.

Nah. That doesn't wash I'm afraid. If I had just witnessed a slaughter and there was a possibility of further slaughter, I am perfectly within my rights to judge the slaughterers as killers. And stop them. If that means shooting them down, so be it. Rage and anger are totally different. And my anger would be against the hideous atrocity I had just witnessed. If Jesus can overturn tables and call the Pharisees names, I can shoot some killers before they can kill again. I'm sure God would agree. [Biased]

No-one knows what goes on in the minds of others. The minute they think they do, they've made a mistake, imo. Remember the Yorkshire Ripper? He was apparently in a successful marriage. His wife had no idea what her husband was, however. So even marriages don't work in the way you suggest, Teapot. A lot is based on trust - and ignorance! [Smile]

quote:
Rage and anger are totally different. And my anger would be against the hideous atrocity I had just witnessed. If Jesus can overturn tables and call the Pharisees names, I can shoot some killers before they can kill again. I'm sure God would agree. [Biased]

Yours maybe, but not mine [Smile]

quote:
No-one knows what goes on in the minds of others. The minute they think they do, they've made a mistake, imo. Remember the Yorkshire Ripper? He was apparently in a successful marriage. His wife had no idea what her husband was, however. So even marriages don't work in the way you suggest, Teapot. A lot is based on trust - and ignorance! [Smile]
You must be fun to live with! [Biased]

When you look in the mirror do you see [Paranoid] ? [Biased]

quote:
quote:

I wonder on what attrocities were done in return... Given how hard it is to find a "Just" war I would hazard a guess that the reaction was probably abusive as well.

Fighting for the love of someone you want to defend is just. Fighting for the hatred of someone you want to kill is not.

I expect many of the RPF had relatives still alive in Kigali who they wanted to save from murder. Given the conduct of the RPF since, they do seem to have behaved very well. The current tutsi president is very even handed.

I accuse you of the following reasoning;

1) There is no just war
2) It cannot be a just war if people hate or commit atrocities during or after the war.
3) The RPF, since they seem to have been fighting a real evil, must have been motivated by hate, and committed atrocities, else I might be wrong about 1).

And this from someone who doesn't do hypotheticals.

Posted by Chesterbelloc (# 3128) on :

Teapot

Can I just be clear about what you're saying here? I'm a bit slow sometimes.

Are you saying that if the only way to stop the slaughter of innocents (i.e., non-combatant civilians, including many defenceless women and children as for example in the Rwandan genocide) is to take organised armed resistance (i.e., form an effective fighting army) then it is better to let the slaughter tke place than resist in this way?

Better, to take another example, to let "The Lord's Resistance Army" carry out its vile attrocites (or only take personal, unorganised, self defence measures which it is clear will be unable to stop them) than to form an army to fight them effectively?

Just trying to clear up what we're all saying.

CB

Mdijon,

You do things you way Mdijon, I’ll do things my way, and let our “fruit” determine which kind of tree we are and which spirit each serves.

[Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
Teapot

Can I just be clear about what you're saying here? I'm a bit slow sometimes.

Are you saying that if the only way to stop the slaughter of innocents (i.e., non-combatant civilians, including many defenceless women and children as for example in the Rwandan genocide) is to take organised armed resistance (i.e., form an effective fighting army) then it is better to let the slaughter take place than resist in this way?

I have yet to see an army that is not formed for fear and hatred, nor one that neither:
[*] treats people like cogs in a machine.
Or
[*] is nothing but a lynch mob

The closest I have seen to avoiding such has been in small groups of friends and neighbours in a militia defending their homes and loved ones.

Confusing isn’t it, that I am neither pro-war nor pacifist, but instead pro fighting, in groups of people where bound by personal relationships and where neither cold hierarchy nor mob mind takes precedence over personal relationship with the holy spirit, in order to defend hearth and heart-bound. Doesn’t fit any of the usual shoeboxes. [Smile]

[ 06. January 2006, 10:19: Message edited by: Teapot ]

quote:
Confusing isn’t it, that I am neither pro-war nor pacifist, but instead pro fighting, in groups of people where bound by personal relationships and where neither cold hierarchy nor mob mind takes precedence over personal relationship with the holy spirit, in order to defend hearth and heart-bound. Doesn’t fit any of the usual shoeboxes. [Smile]

It does, actually, yes. The shoebox of personal preference. And, of course, a guarantee that you'll never be in a position where you can say to yourself that by not fighting you were actually making a mistake. [Biased]

quote:
When you look in the mirror do you see [Paranoid] ? [Biased]

Not at all. I see a generally happy, bubbly and friendly person looking back at me. [Razz]

Not that I look in the mirror very often, I hasten to add. Only when absolutely necessary!

quote:
...a guarantee that you'll never be in a position where you can say to yourself that by not fighting you were actually making a mistake. [Biased]

Not necessarily. I dont claim infallibility or that I cannot be deceived or tempted by the spirit of darkness, just that so long as I stay true to the holy spirit I know I am doing right.

Thanks for that, Teapot. But I'm still not sure what you're saying.

I accept that you don't think armies are unqualifiedly good things, but I'm still left guessing whether you think it is better to:

a) form/engage as "good" an army as can be got to defeat a force such as the LRA or to

b) take brave individual/small militia action if it is certain to be ineffectual through lack of proper organisation (as was unquestioably the case in Rwanda).

Better that we let, e.g., the LRA continue their mind-bogglingly wicked activities without effective opposition than to form any kind of army to defeat them?

[ 06. January 2006, 10:46: Message edited by: Chesterbelloc ]

Teapot, this line of argument seems rather unsatisfactory.

If I'm not dealing with your unique definitions, one liners like "The holy spirit will tell you" or "You do things my way, I'll do things mine" or "We'll agree to disagree" are not really what one hopes for on a discussion board.

All very reasonable if I'd approached you in the street, or a pub, and unwittingly got into an argument on a topic you didn't want to feel overly hectored or pursued over.... but I suggest rather different when you have started posting on a discussion board, on a thread titled with the specific topic.

Particularly when the implication has, on several occasions, that you have divine right on your side, in some inexplicable way. It rather suggests you have some sort of hotline to the almighty, not approachable by the rationality of us mere mortals.

We disagree. This may not represent darkness of soul, ears of cotton or blindness on my part - it may simply be a different thought process and different outcome.

I maintain these things can be approached by rational debate.

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
… better to:

a) form/engage as "good" an army as can be got to defeat a force such as the LRA or to

b) take brave individual/small militia action if it is certain to be ineffectual through lack of proper organisation (as was unquestioably the case in Rwanda).

Nice word trap Chester, but “small militia action” is not “certain to be ineffectual through lack of proper organisation” as may have been the case in Rwanda.

If you are asking whether it is better to do good and lose or do a “lesser” evil and win, my answer is the former.

quote:
Better that we let, e.g., the LRA continue their mind-bogglingly wicked activities without effective opposition than to form any kind of army to defeat them?
Better that in seeking to kill a monster we don’t become one (and no that is not an advocacy for Nietzsche [Smile] )

What about the "All that evil requires to prosper is that the good do nothing"?

I don't see what the word trap was, and frankly I'd agree with Chestorbelloc. Unless by "small militia" you would include the RPF.... always possible, I suppose.

quote:
We disagree. This may not represent darkness of soul, ears of cotton or blindness on my part - it may simply be a different thought process and different outcome.

We each understand according to the spirit we align with Mdijon, and those who serve the holy spirit will not generally be understood by those who do not, except where open to salvation, as the human mind is limited and can only hold one alignment with one spirit at a time.

I disagree about your rational debate line. Words can act as rough signposts, nothing more. It is Epiphany (on this day of all I get to say this lol [Big Grin] ) that salvation and the understanding of the holy comes as in a mind overwhelmed by darkness there is no way of comprehending light except by an act of grace.

[Votive]

Are you saying anyone who disagrees with you doesn't serve the holy spirit?

quote:
quote:

We each understand according to the spirit we align with Mdijon, and those who serve the holy spirit will not generally be understood by those who do not, except where open to salvation, as the human mind is limited and can only hold one alignment with one spirit at a time.
Here I must quote your own words back at you Teapot:

quote:
You do seem to be doing an awful lot of judging of other contributors' spirits.

Said in a spirit of love, of course. [Smile]

[ 06. January 2006, 11:29: Message edited by: Littlelady ]

This time I'll be clear as I can be, Teapot. My question to you is this:

If large-scale, organised armed resistance (i.e.the forming/engaging of an army) were the only way effectively to stop such a body as the LRA, do you think it would be better to let the LRA continue their activities without that effective resistance?

I admit that part of my eagerness to get you to give a straight answer to this reasonable and utterly relevant question is that I want you to admit to the consequences or limitations of your argument about the evil of armies. But whether or not you think my motivation is fair, plese anwer the question for the sake of clarity.

quote:
You do seem to be doing an awful lot of judging of other contributors' spirits.

Judging as understanding, yes. Judging as condemning, no. [Smile] Which do you think the gospel of love is referring to? [Biased]

Mdijon,

Know a tree by its fruit Mdijon. Do you deny “Judge not, that ye be not judged”? Do you deny “love your enemy”? Do you deny “Love god, and love your neighbour as yourself, the law and prophets hangs upon these”? Do you claim that the force of man can fight evil, rather than the love of god? Man without the holy spirit cannot destroy evil, he can only replace it with a new evil.

So fond you are of wordtraps you remind me of a Pharisee lol

If you disagree with the holy spirit, you do not serve her. If you agree with her, you do.

quote:
originally poster by Chesterbelloc:
This time I'll be clear as I can be, Teapot. My question to you is this:

If large-scale, organised armed resistance (i.e.the forming/engaging of an army) were the only way effectively to stop such a body as the LRA, do you think it would be better to let the LRA continue their activities without that effective resistance?

I admit that part of my eagerness to get you to give a straight answer to this reasonable and utterly relevant question is that I want you to admit to the consequences or limitations of your argument about the evil of armies. But whether or not you think my motivation is fair, plese anwer the question for the sake of clarity.

Lol That is like asking a Christian “if there were not a god…..”. You do not fight evil by doing evil and I have yet to see an example of a “large-scale, organised armed resistance” that has brought about good rather than simply a less heavy-handed evil.

You would have me fight a battle on your contrived landscape which fails to include within it the rock I base my position on. [Big Grin]

It is better to be good and lose than evil and win. Or to put it another way; it is better to serve in heaven than rule in hell.

What is evil about armed police or troops putting an end to genocide or torture?

Do you just deny that, for example, a UN force could have stamped out the genocide in Rwanda, or an effective armed force could remove/destroy/seriously debilitate the evil that is the LRA?

You seem to need to argue that no army/armed police force in principle could put an end to such unspeakable horror as the LRA propounds (or at least, not without the army compounding the evil themselves) for your postion to cohere - but I don't see your argument for that assertion.

What is evil about stopping the LRA? Where is the evidence that a properly trained, disciplined and deployed army could not, in principle at least, stop the LRA?

You seem to be excusing yourself from answering my question by claiming that it is unfairly framed to exclude your view that army-fighting could not put an end to evil because it would itself be evil. But I completely fail to see why armed force of this type must be seen as "an evil not to be countenanced" in the face of the horrific evil of brutalising, torturing, mutilating, enslaving and raping children on a huge and calculated scale, and then making those same children perform those acts on others on pain of death.

Please, Teapot - do you believe that deploying an army (say, an international UN force) is worse than allowing these attrocities to happen? If so, why? If there is a genuinely effective "third way", between allowing the LRA to carry on and deploying organised armed force against them, what is it?

quote:
Originally posted by Chester:
What is evil about armed police or troops putting an end to genocide or torture?

Nothing, so long as they don’t replace it with another evil nor achieve it by evil means.

quote:
Do you just deny that, for example, a UN force could have stamped out the genocide in Rwanda, or an effective armed force could remove/destroy/seriously debilitate the evil that is the LRA?
Nope I don’t deny that. The question is, could that have replaced it with Good, or just another evil.

quote:
Please, Teapot - do you believe that deploying an army (say, an international UN force) is worse than allowing these atrocities to happen? If so, why? If there is a genuinely effective "third way", between allowing the LRA to carry on and deploying organised armed force against them, what is it?
There is no “worse” there is only evil of various at types, and good. There are a great many ways of doing evil, some subtle, some not so, but if they are not about returning you to an awareness of the love of god, under the auspices of the holy spirit, then they remain evil no matter what.

For example: The people of Europe were freed from the yoke of Nazism by the allies….only to become slaves to the global greed market of consumerism, which relies on their buy sweatshop goods and living their lives as serfs to the robber barons of capitalism, the evil brought by the allies. An evil was defeated….and replaced by another, one with a less heavy hand but an evil non-the-less.

And before you ask, no I am not a communist/socialist. [Smile]

Do you go after the Pacifists with such enthusiasm too? [Big Grin]

quote:
The people of Europe were freed from the yoke of Nazism by the allies….only to become slaves to the global greed market of consumerism, which relies on their buy sweatshop goods and living their lives as serfs to the robber barons of capitalism, the evil brought by the allies. An evil was defeated….and replaced by another, one with a less heavy hand but an evil non-the-less.

Do you own the computer you are presently typing on? In which case, you are also part of the "evil brought by the allies". Are you typing on a computer at work? If so then you are indulging in the "evil brought by the allies", because you are using a computer bought within the system which is "evil brought by the allies".

Please, Teapot. This cannot be a serious argument for whether or not the slaughter in Rwanda should have been avoided (preferably) or stopped by a well disciplined army.

It is simply avoiding the actual issue in question. Blaming it all on the allies or on the army sent to sort out someone else's tyranny is transparent evasion of the topic under discussion.

quote:
quote:

Nothing, so long as they don’t replace it with another evil nor achieve it by evil means.
Good - some progress there, since you were arguing before that such a force would be "formed for fear and hatred" and would be "nothing but a lynch mob". They would be going it some to fail to repalce organised and systematic torture, mutilation and genocide with something better, don't you think?
quote:
quote:
Nope I don’t deny that. The question is, could that have replaced it with Good, or just another evil.
They would be going it some to fail to replace organised and systematic torture, mutilation and genocide with something better.
quote:
There is no “worse” there is only evil of various at types, and good. There are a great many ways of doing evil, some subtle, some not so, but if they are not about returning you to an awareness of the love of god, under the auspices of the holy spirit, then they remain evil no matter what.

No evil is preferrable to another? That's patently false. To equate the "evil" involved in taking reasonable military action against the likes of the LRA with the evil of the LRA itself is ... actaully, words fail me.
"Evil"/wickedness does not operate by an on/off switch - there are degrees of moral wrong. This is a fact which I would have thought too obvious to need stating.
quote:
For example: The people of Europe were freed from the yoke of Nazism by the allies….only to become slaves to the global greed market of consumerism, which relies on their buy sweatshop goods and living their lives as serfs to the robber barons of capitalism, the evil brought by the allies. An evil was defeated….and replaced by another, one with a less heavy hand but an evil non-the-less.

There's something badly wrong with your rhetoric-meter. Or you don't know the evils at the heart of Nazism. Either way, you just spat a gross insult to all those who suffered under and who fought against the Nazi terror by this comparison. You can have no idea how lucky you are not to be living in a Nazi Europe if you can equate "capitalist greed" (whose evils I'm very far from blind to) with Nazi slave-labour programmes. I'm sorry, but I find that revolting.
quote:
And before you ask, no I am not a communist/socialist. [Smile]

That is the least of my concerns about your outlook, Teapot.

quote:
Good - some progress there, since you were arguing before that such a force would be "formed for fear and hatred" and would be "nothing but a lynch mob".

Did I say that of all groups Chester? I recall a certain 3rd option I mentioned….

quote:
They would be going it some to fail to replace organised and systematic torture, mutilation and genocide with something better, don't you think?
Again you fall into the better/worse trap. It is either good, or it isn’t.

quote:
No evil is preferrable to another? That's patently false. To equate the "evil" involved in taking reasonable military action against the likes of the LRA with the evil of the LRA itself is ... actaully, words fail me.
"Evil"/wickedness does not operate by an on/off switch - there are degrees of moral wrong. This is a fact which I would have thought too obvious to need stating.

Nope, something is either in accord with the Holy Spirit or it isn’t. There is no such thing as a preferable evil except in a universe where there is no holy spirit. We don’t live in that universe.

quote:
Do you own the computer you are presently typing on? In which case, you are also part of the "evil brought by the allies". Are you typing on a computer at work? If so then you are indulging in the "evil brought by the allies", because you are using a computer bought within the system which is "evil brought by the allies".

Indeed I do own and use a computer. Consumerism is about how you use, not what you use.

Is a man who eats a pear grown by a tyranical farmer a bad mad or a party to the farmers tyrany? Is a man who buys clothes from a charity shop, clothes he then learns were originally made in a sweatshop, party to the sweatshop if he wears them?

[ 06. January 2006, 14:42: Message edited by: Teapot ]

quote:
Please, Teapot. This cannot be a serious argument for whether or not the slaughter in Rwanda should have been avoided (preferably) or stopped by a well disciplined army.
*Sigh* Which part of this do you not catch on to littlelady? Such an army could quite probably stop a group of people slaughtering in Rwanda. The question is whether they can do that without bringing evil with them.

This whole argument rests on one simple principle:

In a universe with the holy spirit even "lesser" evil is not acceptable. Only where the holy spirit is not available does embracing a "lesser" evil make sense.

"is a man who eats a pear grown by a tyranical farmer a bad mad"

Errate: should say "man" not "mad"

Why on earth is there such a tight limit on editing here?!!!

[ 06. January 2006, 14:57: Message edited by: Teapot ]

quote:
quote:
Good - some progress there, since you were arguing before that such a force would be "formed for fear and hatred" and would be "nothing but a lynch mob".

Did I say that of all groups Chester? I recall a certain 3rd option I mentioned….
Here's what you actually said:
quote:
I have yet to see an army that is not formed for fear and hatred, nor one that neither:
[*] treats people like cogs in a machine.
Or
[*] is nothing but a lynch mob

Your "3rd option" was a small family/friend-based militia group - my example (with which you said you saw "nothing"wrong) was an army or armed police force.
quote:
quote:
They would be going it some to fail to replace organised and systematic torture, mutilation and genocide with something better, don't you think?
Again you fall into the better/worse trap. It is either good, or it isn’t.
And thus rape isn't worse than gossiping, and genocide isn't worse than vanity, and green dreams sleep furiously. Possible to utter the sounds, impossible to believe.
quote:
quote:

Nope, something is either in accord with the Holy Spirit or it isn’t. There is no such thing as a preferable evil except in a universe where there is no holy spirit. We don’t live in that universe.

If that really is your opinion, Teapot, I confess I don't know what universe you live in - it certainly isn't the same one as mine. A serious obstacle in a discussion forum, that.

Rape is an evil, it brings great suffering for which victims have been known to take their lives.

Gassing people as part of some hideous mechanised death machine is evil.

Being treated as nothing, because unlike your class mates you dont have the latest "in" stuff, the measure of worth in capitalist consumerism, isolating you and leaving you open to ridicule, brings great suffering for which victims have been known to take their lives.

It is is sheer utter nonsense that says there are degrees of evil. If it does not bring a child of god into awareness of his love, if instead it leaves them at the whim of the spirits of evil, it thus remains evil.

*sigh* it is the sad hubris of humankind that this illusion of a "lesser" evil is still taught.

[ 06. January 2006, 15:16: Message edited by: Teapot ]

Sorry, Teapot - further dialogue between us would appear to be pointless.

quote:
quote:

Indeed I do own and use a computer. Consumerism is about how you use, not what you use.
And I think that's a good analogy for war, too, Teapot. A just war is about how you 'use' war. That's where our difference lies. Not in the holy spirit business. But in how we 'use' war. You view it all as evil; whereas, in effect, I say it is in how one "uses" it.

I, too, am quitting here as we just seem to be going around in circles. Peace.

You are all invited to join me in hell.

Do bring a friend.

If there is anyone still in the room, I'm still working my way through the reasoning for Afghanistan being a Just War (yes, yes, I'll eventually learn to do that little TM thingie...).

It appears that there are two main rationales for the invasion of Afghanistan:

quote:

Progress on rationale one:

quote:
To my knowledge, the suspects captured in Afghanistan were either (justly) slain as enemy combatants or are imprisoned in Guantanamo (and for those, rightly so, I will not speak for those that are questionable however, as I am not in favor of the Getmo system as currently practiced and that's a whole nother topic).

My problem with rationale one is that being the naive idealist I am, I thought that any 9-11 conspirators would be treated as criminal suspects and brought to trial. I didn't think they would be permanently interned under conditions that violate the very principles the USA is supposed to believe in. I personally feel it is dishonest to say 9-11 was an act of war, since wars are generally defined as being between sovereign nations (the wars on drugs, poverty and terrorism notwithstanding). If 9-11 was not an act of war, then why is war an appropriate response? I'm also unconvinced that "national security" or the ongoing activities of security and intelligence agencies absolutely preclude any form of trial. Where's that Yankee ingenuity anyway?

Progress on rationale two:

quote:
Except that the Taliban are still alive and kicking and killing people like schoolteachers who dare teach girls at all -- two deaths so far in the last fortnight alone. And that in a province supposedly fully under the control of the government -- where less than a third of the schools have been able to open, because of fear of what the Taliban will do to anyone who dares teach in them.

My problem with rationale two is that the Taliban were a nasty bunch before 9-11 and the USA did nothing other than supply weapons when they were still fighting the Soviets. And apparently the Taliban are still around, and still a nasty bunch. As Mad Geo put it, "After 9-11, the harboring of suspects AND the 14 million women were a GREAT cause." Sure, timing is everything, but am I the only person who wonders how something like the Taliban can be unimportant for years, REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT for a few months, and be back to its same old tricks a couple years later?

leo posted these requirements for a Just War:

My scoring:

Rationale one - capture 9-11 conspirators
Passes #1 - only technically, as I'm unconvinced that war is an appropriate response to crime
Flunks #2 - the USA never had intention of trying anyone for these crimes
Flunks #3 - based on the treatment of those captured
#4 - any answer I gave would be pure speculation

Rationale two - Bad Taliban
Not final, coursework still in progress
Passes #1 and #2, but I find the timing suspect
Passes #3
#4 - as above

By my math, it looks like Afghanistan could be considered a Just War based on rationale two, but not on rationale one. However, the Just War criteria assume that every effort has been made to resolve the conflict without war. What was the USA doing before 9-11 to improve the status of women in Afghanistan? Sadly, it seems to me that rationale one was the only one that REALLY mattered, and rationale two was secondary. If Teapot is still around, we'll soon find out if the weaknesses of rationale one cancel out the strengths of rationale two. [Razz]

If anyone is still here, how would you score the rationales for Afghanistan against these criteria? OliviaG

Wow, in my cold-numbed-mind I am having a hard time following all that, although I am sure it is very cogent. Let me shoot at a few things I see there,

You said you thought that enemy combatants might be subjected to trial. Ultimately even with as little faith as I have in this administration, I think they will. But to me the more important thing that Afghanistan War did for us was my first posit that many if not most of the bad bastards have been "(justly) slain as enemy combatants". To me that was the largest benefit of that war. If benefit is the right word. If (IF) we keep cutting off the heads of an organization, it will stop to work as efficiently, even an organization that divides itself into "cells" such as Al Quida. They can only lose so much leadership before it starts to be less or non-functional.

I also question how much of the Taliban is "alive and kicking". For every case that JH or someone puts forth I can probably put forth one where the Taliban's acts were dismantled.

We cannot change a culture overnight. We can only hope to help them change themselves as much as they want us to.

I really do wonder if we should even be in the business of changing their culture anyway. It's kinda like the Prime Directive in Star Trek The Prime Directive dictates that there be no interference with the natural development of any primitive society. It also forbids any effort to improve or change in any way the natural course of such a society, even if that change is well-intentioned and kept totally secret.

While we are forced to stop them from enabling people that hurt us (Al Queda) perhaps we really should minimize how much we screw with their culture no matter how distateful that culture may be to us.

That view is potentially fully of double standards I realize but their are nuances to it that I think are relevant so that's why I throw it out there.

quote:
Wow, in my cold-numbed-mind I am having a hard time following all that, although I am sure it is very cogent. Let me shoot at a few things I see there,

And there have been numerous demands on your time... something about the Teapot Dome scandal, was it? [Biased]

quote:
But to me the more important thing that Afghanistan War did for us was my first posit that many if not most of the bad bastards have been "(justly) slain as enemy combatants".
True, yet I am always nervous about extra-judicial law enforcement. The process of getting shot in Afghanistan was quite different from the death penalty process in the USA.

quote:
We cannot change a culture overnight. We can only hope to help them change themselves as much as they want us to.
In the land of what-might-have-been... suppose the USA and other democratic nations had made an effort after the end of the war with the Soviets to influence Afghani society by e.g. sending teachers and health care workers, providing material aid, whatever... could it have been possible to make Afghanistan a less hospitable place for anti-US nutbars and thereby prevent some of these terrorists from even getting started? But that takes me to your next point:

quote:
I really do wonder if we should even be in the business of changing their culture anyway. It's kinda like the Prime Directive in Star Trek The Prime Directive dictates that there be no interference with the natural development of any primitive society. It also forbids any effort to improve or change in any way the natural course of such a society, even if that change is well-intentioned and kept totally secret.
Yep, I've struggled with that one too. At this point, I'm still pretty keen on influencing other cultures through non-violent means, but like you, I see the difficulties.

The Prime Directive is Gene Roddenberry's unequivocal answer to the question of how much responsibility we have to solve the problems of another society: none. It would be interesting to contrast that with our responsibilities are as individuals to solve the problems of other individuals, if any. You know, the old "Am I my brother's keeper?" thang. Why don't you start a Prime Directive thread?

Thanks for a good discussion, Mad Geo. Cheers, OliviaG

Done. Thanks backatya,
MG

Both rationales provided good reasons for starting the Afghanistan war.

9-11 may be considered a military strike executed by a partisan unit. The victims of that suicide attack put it well beyond anything usually handled by criminal law. The refusal by the Taliban to extradite the brains of this attack strengthens this interpretation. The interest to prevent similar strikes in the future is imho strong enough to justify a military intervention.

As for the second reason, I think it has some points going for it:
1. The international condemnation of the acts of the Taliban regime.
2. The significant internal oposition to the regime.

I would posit that these two points provide sufficient justification with regards to the international community. Also, they make it imho evident that the nature of the Taliban regime is such that its continued existence would be a grave hurt to the people of Afghanistan. Thus the act of disposing this regime is obviously just. The only party thats interests may be hurt that this action is the American populace, especially the soldiers put at risk in this conflict. The opinion of the Taliban is obviously out of the question because of the nature of their regime.

In my opinion, it thus becomes a problem of the willingness of the Americans. This willingness was obviously present after the 9-11 strikes. Thus - irregardless if the 9-11 strikes were sufficient reason by themself - they become the missing piece in the second argument, thus completing it.

Did I miss something, or does this sound like a reasonable treatment of the problem? It somewhat rests on the validity of international consensus, but I don´t consider this a problem here. The prime directive obviously cannot apply here, because the Taliban´s interpretation of Jihad does not support the idea that they will sit happily in their country and not bother anyone.

PS: The treatment of those considered illegal combatants in the Afghan war is obviously problematic. As far as I know, the classic procedure is to shoot them after court-martial. It is highly unusual to keep them imprisoned without trial for such a long time. And the abductions from third-party countries are more than problematic in too many ways to talk about here.

[ 06. January 2006, 23:29: Message edited by: FiliusSyon ]

© Ship of Fools 2016