Thread: Purgatory: God the pathological killer? Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001047

Posted by TrudyTrudy (I say unto you) (# 5647) on :

I have just got done reading Jesus Against Christianity by Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer. N-P is on the far liberal wing of anything that could conceivably be called Christianity--much more liberal than I, but one point of his really troubled and stuck with me.

A major part of his thesis is that most of the Bible portrays God as a pathological killer. He points out the numerous instances of God's violent vengeance or threats thereof--whether directly against the pagan nations such as in Egypt's plagues, whether against rebellious Israel, or whether authorized by God for Israel to carry out against pagansm, like the conquest of Canaan. He suggests that to write these off as "one aspect" of God's character totally misrepresents the situation: this is the overwhelming aspect of God's character that is presented more than all the rest, although it is neatly excised from much Chrisitan liturgy and sermonizing, and is downplayed for children's consumption in stories like the Flood.

Now this has ALWAYS bothered me. I can remember times when the adult Bible study group at church was studying Judges, or on another occasion 1 & 2 Kings, when I literally could not attend because even trying to read and discuss these horrifically bloodthirsty passages was just too difficult for me. But all I've ever heard from fellow conservatives were rationalizations and explanations that generally fell under the "well, it's a mystery" heading.

Nelson-Pallmeyer sums it up thus: "Either God is a pathological killer because the Bible says so, or else the Bible is wrong about God." He opts for the latter conclusion, observing, as have many others both liberal and conservative, that this bloodthirsty deity bears little or no resemblance to Jesus who apparently came to reveal what God is like. Of course it's fairly easy for an extreme liberal like N-P to just write off major portions of Scripture as distortions of God's character. I'm not an extreme literalist but I do take the Bible more seriously as God's inspired word, and I have to admit that I can't figure out why, even if we concede that these are not God's literal exact words, God would want "His Word" to contain such blatant character assassination of Himself--unless those stories really DO reflect what God is like? (Petulant, vengeful, spiteful, bloodthirsty, etc etc).

So, what do you think? Is God a pathological killer because the Bible tells us so? Is the Bible wrong about God? Or would you argue for another position? Do you think the Bible (specifically the OT, though not entirely) doesn't, in fact, portray God as a pathological killer?? Or do you think that it must be OK for God to be a pathological killer because God can do anything God wants?

This really bothers me...would love to hear other people's opinions on it.

[ 08. January 2006, 21:59: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

No, you're right. The OT particularly does often portray a morally reprehensible God.

And your author is correct that this stands in contrast to the way Jesus revealed God - for example, when the disciples want to bring fire from heaven on the unbelieving towns, and Jesus rebukes them, saying "you don't know what spirit you belong to". I read this as clearly meaning "you've got it completely wrong what God is about".

There are those who will tell you that it's just our modern liberal consciences that are offended by these things, but personally I rather think it's right that we be offended by, for example, the wholesale genocide of Jericho.

Posted by Arabella Purity Winterbhottom (# 3434) on :

Bothered me since I was a small child, actually. My real name is Deborah, and I was named for the one that fought the battle in the book of Judges. Every year on my birthday the story was read to me, until around the age of 9 I revolted.

I found it fascinating how the kids reacted when I was teaching the story of Moses in Sunday School. When we got to God's order that the Canaanites should be slaughtered, one of the older boys, aged 12, said, "But that would be like God telling the British that they were to slaughter all the Maori when they came to New Zealand." And we had a great discussion about colonialism and God's part in it, particularly since God tells Moses that there will be trouble later if Moses doesn't commit genocide.

Funnily, The Prince of Egypt doesn't deal with that bit!

Posted by linzc (# 2914) on :

My approach is to see the Bible as a progressive account of how Israel has struggled with learning about and understanding God and God's nature. God takes them only step by step and the genocidal stories in the OT are the early steps - where purity is seen as important but love for one's enemies is not yet in sight.

Posted by Ley Druid (# 3246) on :

quote:
Originally posted by TrudyTrudy (I say unto you):
this is the overwhelming aspect of God's character that is presented more than all the rest, although it is neatly excised from much Chrisitan liturgy and sermonizing, and is downplayed for children's consumption in stories like the Flood.

With all due resepect, maybe in your Christian liturgy.

I don't even find the mass murders the most disturbing parts of the Bible.
quote:
"Your brother came deceitfully and has taken away your blessing." Gen 27:35 for example.
God redeems suffering. Denying suffering or those parts where it is found in the Bible would deny God's redemption of suffering. From my Christian liturgy we learn that suffering isn't ipso facto bad, God has redeemed it and so suffering can be redemptive.

P.S. I bet you would find a correlation between those who object to "God, the pathological killer", and those who object to "The Passion of the Christ".

[ 22. March 2004, 21:38: Message edited by: Ley Druid ]

Posted by Freehand (# 144) on :

Yes, I think that the Bible presents a terrifying image of God. It's easier to stick to the nice passages. I cannot reconcile a God of love with the God of the Bible without making a myriad of arbitrary interpretive choices, i.e. assume that God is love, therefore chuck out verses (even books) XYZ.

Here's a scary thought. What if God really is the genocidal God? It makes it easy to answer the problem of evil. The world is the natural consequence of an emotionaly dysfunctional God that is trying really hard but has botched the whole thing up. This, I think, is easier to reconcile with scripture than the truly loving God.

Freehand [Ultra confused]

Posted by Mad Sex Geo (# 2939) on :

This is one of the reasons that I am comfortable IMO with the bible being a series of writings that tells a story about God through human eyes, rather than a story literally penned by the hand of God through glovepuppet disciples (thanks Wood).

If God told those stories about itself, god is a really big asshole.

Posted by frensic2003 (# 5667) on :

This is not the most coherent response in the world because, put quite simply, I have not ever bothered to fully reason this puzzle out. But somewhere in the back of my mind I think I have always thought/felt the following:

The God of the OT was rather a parochial one - ie., He was the God of the Jews and therefore particularly interested in their welfare. Some OT characters showed a glimmer of the faith that was to be fully realised in Jesus later on, and they are the heroes of that book. But they are the ones generally considered peace-loving...

Jesus revealed something greater than that parochial, local God. He revealed a loving, forgiving God.

Now, whether this means that in the dim, dark corner of my mind where this 'theory' has been loitering, God has undergone some kind of mutation between the OT and NT, I don't know. It might be that Jesus managed to show his Father that He was something greater, but this would be difficult to square away with the idea of Jesus having a 'mission'.

However, my final thought is this: the OT is not the exact and literal word of God. It is open to interpretation, being, as it is, the work of a number of minds. Jesus came along to show that God was greater than the OT vision of a war-mongering tyrant and in doing so enabled that God to be embraced by anybody, rather than just Jews. In other words, were it not for Jesus, only Jews would still worship Jahew of the OT - what would be the point of the rest of us worshipping a deity who cared not a jot for us and who, indeed, might smite us for being of the wrong lineage?

Damian.

quote:
Originally posted by frensic2003:

However, my final thought is this: the OT is not the exact and literal word of God. It is open to interpretation, being, as it is, the work of a number of minds. Jesus came along to show that God was greater than the OT vision of a war-mongering tyrant and in doing so enabled that God to be embraced by anybody, rather than just Jews. In other words, were it not for Jesus, only Jews would still worship Jahew of the OT - what would be the point of the rest of us worshipping a deity who cared not a jot for us and who, indeed, might smite us for being of the wrong lineage?

If the OT is not the exact and literal word of God, then how is the NT? Isn't the NT the work of men as well?

Posted by IconiumBound (# 754) on :

I think MSG is the closest to the heart of this conundrum. The Bible was, of course, put together by human beings who told of how they saw their God acting in their lives. And, if you think of their lives, it was a violent world (as is our times) where ther were other gods who supposedly fought and acted in behalf of their followers. Could the Hebrews have any less potent a God? Also there is a body of scholars who believe that the Hebrews never did come from Egypt and conquer the land of Caanan but were actually nomadic tribes who gradually assimilated the Caananites and incorporated some aspects of that relgion into the formation of a Yahwistic monotheism. If this is true we can regard the stories of bloodbaths by or for God to be heroic myths. This is not to deny that there is truth inside those stories as in all myths. It is still a true revelation of God as men came to see God.

The NT is another step along the progressive revelation. We do have historical evidence that Jesus existed and was crucified but, other than that, we must take the rest of the story on faith. The test for that faith is whether it is pragmatically true in our lives regardless of questions or contradictions. In this regard we are in much the same position as the Hebrews who formed the OT.

But we have a faith that promises that eventually we will know as fully even as we are known.

Posted by hermit (# 1803) on :

Christians noted the apparent difference between the OT and the NT God long ago, some of the Gnostic Christians came up with the idea that the god of this world and the OT was indeed evil or petty or spiteful, and that Jesus was sent by a higher level more universal god. [Paranoid]

I've always shied away from the OT because of the reasons stated above, but there doesn't seem to be any question that Jesus affirmed the Torah and the Prophets. I don't remember him commenting on the validity of the other books contained in our OT.

I don't know why you would use modern academic liberal standards to call God a nasty name like "pathological". I understand though that most people here don't believe He is pathological, but that the OT is mainly legendary or mythical, and that God is all sweetness and joy.

Since I believe Jesus was God incarnate, and that the record of his teachings in the NT is accurate (not necessarily perfect), I have little choice but to accept the record of genocide etc as likely accurate and from God. But I'm not sure what the problem with that is, other than emotional distaste on first reading it.

It's perfectly accurate to call God a killer ... He kills everyone who doesn't commit suicide or get murdered, doesn't He? He gives us all life on this planet, and then takes it away ... often with much more suffering involved than a relatively quick genocide. He owns our lives and has the right to make judgments individually and on tribes or nations.

My goodness, think of violence inherent in this particular Creation, don't shy away from it ... what's involved in simply living? We have to kill and eat other living creatures that we have dominion over! We also killed God, who gave us his flesh and blood to eat and drink. And He shall kill us and perhaps in some sense eat and drink our souls! And apparently that will be a very good thing, as Martha Stewart would say.

The rules for human/human interaction aren't the same as the rules for God/human interaction. And He made the game, so He gets to choose the rules.

All the saints have said there was value in suffering, so maybe we should believe them.

But the problem with the genocide passages is that they are about human/human interaction.

Posted by Sean D (# 2271) on :

I think there can be quite a lot of scope for explaining this with the idea of progressive revelation, which Linzc alluded to.

A couple of people have objected to this on the grounds that if one accepts Scripture to reveal God, how can we think that the OT does not reveal God if the NT does?

If you polarise it this much, you are left to choose between the twin errors of Gnosticism (OT=different God) and actually believing in a God who commits and commands genocide, the torture of women and so on.

The problems this raises is down to the fact that in a good and right desire to uphold the idea that Scripture reveals God to us, some people make out that God must therefore be equally revealed in every single tiny passage of Scripture.

But surely it makes much more sense to regard God as being revealed by the whole of Scripture. So the Bible as a whole reveals the whole of God in Jesus. But Jesus is not mentioned in 1 Kings, or in Haggai for example. Therefore there is some kind of progressive revelation. God is not disclosed as Trinity until the Incarnation, for example.

So, we can use the revelation of God in Jesus (which we only have through Scripture in the first place, of course) to see that the OT does not fully reveal God. This is NOT using modern, liberal ideas about God to critique the Bible, but acknowledging that God's revelation of himself doesn't happen all at once (otherwise we'd get the Incarnation right at the beginning)!

Posted by Jolly Jape (# 3296) on :

quote:
So, we can use the revelation of God in Jesus (which we only have through Scripture in the first place, of course) to see that the OT does not fully reveal God. This is NOT using modern, liberal ideas about God to critique the Bible, but acknowledging that God's revelation of himself doesn't happen all at once (otherwise we'd get the Incarnation right at the beginning)!

Maybe it's not so much that God's revelation of Himself doesn't happen all at once, at the beginning, as much as that the world view of the writers was such that they didn't have the means of assimilating, or even seeing, the revelation that was there. To Joshua (he comes in for such a lot of stick!) all gods were tribal war-gods. There is no way he could have conceived of the God and Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ. It was out of that paradigm that he "wrote" and acted. Now doesn't that change the lesson of the genocide stories for us today! Are there any areas in which we are similarly blind?

Posted by English Ploughboy. (# 4205) on :

I think separating the angry wrathful God of the old testament from the kind loving and forgiving God of the new is a gross misrepresentation. We cannot escape from the fact that:'Rom 1 v18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness.' Surely this is Pauls central thesis and he spends the remaining chapters explaining what God has done to get us out of this particular mess. I think any theology which seeks to minimise the wrath of God ends up trivialising the immensity of his love and compassion to us human beings, and the cosmic importance of His death and ressurection.

Posted by frensic2003 (# 5667) on :

quote:
If the OT is not the exact and literal word of God, then how is the NT? Isn't the NT the work of men as well?
I never said it wasn't. Indeed, I would say the same for the NT - it is only the work of a number of minds. But the difference (which to my mind and personal faith is crucial) between them is that the NT has Jesus in it, and it is through His teaching that we learn of this 'greater' God. In other words, God is for everybody in the NT - and for us as non-Jewish Christians, that must be fundamental.

Damian.

[fixed UBB for quote]

[ 23. March 2004, 10:35: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
Originally posted by English Ploughboy.:
I think separating the angry wrathful God of the old testament from the kind loving and forgiving God of the new is a gross misrepresentation. We cannot escape from the fact that:'Rom 1 v18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness.'

You also can't escape the numerous examples in the OT of a God who isn't the "angry wrathful God". For example, as I mentioned on the Biblical Inerrancy thread in Dead Horses, we have a story of God looking at a sinful city and instead of destroying it (like he did Sodom and Gomorrah or some cities in Canaan) decides to send a prophet to call them to repentance and show mercy on them. In this case, the prophet felt this was a very bad idea and God really should do the angry wrathful thing, so took a boat the other way only to run into a big fish.

Posted by Leprechaun (# 5408) on :

quote:
Originally posted by frensic2003:

I never said it wasn't. Indeed, I would say the same for the NT - it is only the work of a number of minds. But the difference (which to my mind and personal faith is crucial) between them is that the NT has Jesus in it, and it is through His teaching that we learn of this 'greater' God. In other words, God is for everybody in the NT - and for us as non-Jewish Christians, that must be fundamental.

Damian.

Although as Alan Cresswell rightly pointed out on the inerrancy thread, God's rejection and wrath at some people in the OT was clearly not just because they were not Jewish - in fact I think this is the point of the book of Jonah and that of Ruth.
I believe God is just. He shows his justice at the cross. I don't believe he acts unjustly. Its as simple as that for me really.
I think the question of whether this permits genocide today "in the name of the Lord" only crops up if you don't believe God ordered it. Of course something God said to Joshua then cannot be applied to us directly now. And we believe God has spoken definitively and finally about how his people today are about to behave towards the world in the NT.
But if you take it as just the behaviour of God's people, then there is no reason to assume that it shouldn't be the behaviour of God's people today.
My own view is that this is a paradigm - not of how God's people should react to the world today, but of the judgement God will bring to his enemies through Jesus (Joshua clearly being a Christ prototype). If you read it as such there is no problem harmonising it with the Jesus of the apostolic message who will, on the last day, judge every man woman and child, absolutely justly.

English Ploughboy:

I am in total agreement that God's anger against sin must be real in order for his love to be real. If the evil and injustice to which we subject one another don't mightily tick God off then he's hardly abounding in compassion.

But it doesn't necessarily follow that he commanded genocide to be committed - rather, that would seem to lump him in with those who he is angry with, rather than set him above and apart and thus able to lovingly judge and justly love.

Joshua a Jesus figure?

Where does Jesus kill thousands of innocent along with the guilty? Where, indeed, does Jesus kill anyone at all? What is His reaction every time?

"You do not know the spirit you belong to"
"Forgive them Father"
"Put your sword back in its place. For those who live by the sword will die by it"

Ploughboy - it's not the wrath of God I find so offensive in the genocide passages. It's the wholesale slaughter of the innocent along with the guilty - even babies and young children - are they really rightful objects of the wrath of God? Not of any God worthy of allegiance, that's for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Ploughboy - it's not the wrath of God I find so offensive in the genocide passages. It's the wholesale slaughter of the innocent along with the guilty - even babies and young children - are they really rightful objects of the wrath of God? Not of any God worthy of allegiance, that's for sure.

That is it PRECISELY, Karl. Well put. Actually even the slaughter (rather than reformation) of the guilty seems different from Jesus' approach...but the slaughter of the innocent is what makes this portrait of God so scary. And we get that in so many OT stories... put everyone in the city to the sword, leave no-one alive except the virgin women (presumably to be raped by Israelite soldiers, though to the Bible's credit it doesn't specifically prescribe that in any passage I'm aware of...but it's certainly implied). There are just waaayyyy too many such examples for it to be lumped together under the heading of "God's justice." In the NT God's wrath (as in the Romans passage quote earlier) seems to be against SIN rather than SINNERS, as evidenced by the fact that Romans also teaches that "while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." In the OT God's wrath is directed against sin, sinners, the innocent children of sinners, people who happen to be standing next to sinners, etc etc etc.

BTW, to the person who wondered why I used the term "pathological," I was quoting Nelson-Pallmeyer there; it wasn't my choice of term. But as I look at some of these passages, it doesn't seem that far off.

Posted by I_am_not_Job (# 3634) on :

Does anyone know how Jews interpret these passages? The conversations I've had with them have only been on Judaism and Christianity, so not on this specifically, but they're always stressing that there God is one of covenant and love and mercy and salvation will also come to the Gentiles (and hence there was no need for Jesus). Do they just accept this as part of God, or do they try to explain it away like we might?

Posted by Callan. (# 525) on :

It depends which Jews you ask, I imagine. A member of the progressive synagogue would probably reinterpret the passage as a metaphor for God's judgement on sin rather than a historical event. A member of an Orthodox synagogue would probably treat it as a historical event. A member of Gush Emunim (sp?) would probably see it as precedent for the current disputes in the Middle East.

Jews read and interpret texts in diverse ways, just like Christians do.

Posted by GeordieDownSouth (# 4100) on :

quote:
Originally posted by TrudyTrudy (I say unto you): <snip> In the OT God's wrath is directed against sin, sinners, the innocent children of sinners, people who happen to be standing next to sinners, etc etc etc.

<snip>

This is something I've been wondering about as well. It looks a bit like God deals with whole nations/tribes and their collective behaviour. So even if you're personally innocent, if your tribe isn't then you're just as stuffed.

Which i don't like the sound of it. But has made me think about where our identity lies. Not sure where to go with this though!

As an interesting aside to this, my girlfriend who studies theology mentioned to me that Jesus Parable about the sheep and the goats implies that it is whole nations who are separated out and judged, rather than individuals. Apparently this comes across stronger in the greek. I don't know if this is relevant!

[Sorted out quote.]

[ 23. March 2004, 15:34: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

In a way God orders the death of every mortal in that he predetermines to some extent the date of their death. To order the death of a whole city summons the bad to destruction and the righteous to eternal life in his presence. The good do not have to mourn the loss of their beloved. This is very different from a human perspective on the event.

[ 23. March 2004, 12:56: Message edited by: English Ploughboy. ]

Posted by Jerry Boam (# 4551) on :

quote:
To order the death of a whole city summons the bad to destruction and the righteous to eternal life in his presence.

Almost exactly the same argument is put forth by Al Qaeda in their declarations that American cities must be attacked with nuclear weapons. Somehow I fail to see it this as morally acceptable argument. Take the logic a bit farther: why not just kill everyone right now? If all that piss against a wall, or all that breathe, or every man, woman and child were snuffed out in the next five minutes, wouldn't this just be an efficient way for God to bring the wicked to destruction and the good to eternal life in his presence? Would the good actually want to spend eternity in the presence of one who authored such horror?
quote:
The good do not have to mourn the loss of their beloved. This is very different from a human perspective on the event.
Do the good never count the wicked among their beloved? How wicked do the wicked have to be to make the cut? Doesn't God mourn the loss of the wicked and their failure to realize the potential good within themselves? Or are we taking the double predestination view--in which case I think the question of the sanity and justice of God is wide open (I do not believe this).

Posted by Ophthalmos (# 3256) on :

Man, oh man. We don't really know do we? I dunno about you, but I haven't really got the foggiest whether God sanctioned indiscriminate killings or not - how are we supposed to know?! Just because it's written in the Bible?

Ah, I guess that's faith.

And could someone explain to me what wrath is and why God seems to have so much of it?! We're bad, yeah, but God gets to judge us in the end, so why does he need to lay into us now, particularly as He always planned to send Jesus Christ to save us, to bring us into a deep communion with Himself...Jesus doesn't avert wrath...Jesus averts us from becoming spiritually dead individuals who aren't living lives to the full...somehow he does this by dying on a cross...don't ask me how or why though...or even whether that's what God wanted to happen...

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Boam:
Take the logic a bit farther: why not just kill everyone right now? If all that piss against a wall, or all that breathe, or every man, woman and child were snuffed out in the next five minutes, wouldn't this just be an efficient way for God to bring the wicked to destruction and the good to eternal life in his presence? Would the good actually want to spend eternity in the presence of one who authored such horror?

The more I read this, the less I get why it's a bad thing. I mean, isn't that pretty much what's going to happen at the end of the world anyway? It all ends?

Or is it the "wicked to destruction" bit you've got a problem with?

Tomorrow, a nuclear attack will destroy Birmingham. Everyone there will die.

Do you have no problem with the person responsible for this attack?

There's a difference between man-made destruction and God deciding to end the world.

Or are you planning to go up to God after you die and accuse Him of murder?

Yes, especially if it is friendly fire from the Americans.
The only person who can legitimately end life is the wise all knowing creator who made it in the first place. Comparing an infinate all wise all loving being with a terrorist is totally absurd.

Sorry my last reply was to Karl

[ 23. March 2004, 15:49: Message edited by: English Ploughboy. ]

quote:
Yes, especially if it is friendly fire from the Americans.
The only person who can legitimately end life is the wise all knowing creator who made it in the first place. Comparing an infinate all wise all loving being with a terrorist is totally absurd.

The problem is the doubts that the genocide passages in Joshua cast over God's status as being all wise and all loving.

Posted by Ophthalmos (# 3256) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

Dunno about that, but I'll certainly be asking him why he bothered if so many innocents were going to die.

quote:
There's a difference between man-made destruction and God deciding to end the world.

No, because I don't believe God is a murderer. He can hardly say "Thou shalt not murder" and do it Himself, can He?

Consequently, He cannot, with any consistency, have ordered Joshua to commit mass murder either. The whole point here is that the Joshua genocides are akin to the nuclear attack concept I suggested - man attacking man. What, ultimately, is the difference between Joshua and Bin Laden? Both believe(d) it is conceivable that God would order genocide, both are/were willing to do it. Who are we to say that Joshua was right and Bin Laden is wrong?

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ley Druid:
P.S. I bet you would find a correlation between those who object to "God, the pathological killer", and those who object to "The Passion of the Christ".

I wouldn't like to be judged as disliking a (literally) bloody film because I'm too much of a wuss to also go for the idea of an annihilating deity.

Isn't it possible to dislike a work of film-art on the grounds of its subjectively perceived artistic demerits; and also dislike the idea of a certain interpretation of God based on OT histories, because one does not believe it to be a representative picture of him? I don't see how there can be a logical correlation in that.

(I'm hoping to see the film when it eventually arrives in my own little backwater. But I really doubt if it will chill me as much as the straightforward unadorned passion narratives do every year during Holy Week.)

Posted by Father Gregory (# 310) on :

I wager that there are just as many revelations of God as the relenting and passionate lover of mankind in the Old Testament as in the New. What do you have right the way through the Bible is a growing relaisation of his true nature. This differentiation is only a problem for the inerrantists. The Bible does not censor itself ... it includes the full range of human perception and emotion as the arena for divine revelation. That's the secret of its true authority .... provided a person does not treat it naively as an oracle.

Hosea 11

1 'When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called My son. 2 As they called them, So they went from them; they sacrificed to the Baals, and burned incense to carved images.'

3 'I taught Ephraim to walk, Taking them by their arms; but they did not know that I healed them. 4 I drew them with gentle cords, with bands of love, And I was to them as those who take the yoke from their neck. I stooped and fed
them.'

5 He shall not return to the land of Egypt; But the Assyrian shall be his king, Because they refused to repent. 6 And the sword shall slash in his cities, Devour his districts, And consume them, Because of their own counsels. 7 My people are bent on backsliding from Me. Though they call to the Most High, none at all exalt Him.

8 'How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel? How can I make you like Admah? How can I set you like Zeboiim? My heart churns within Me; My sympathy is stirred. 9 I will not execute the fierceness of My anger; I will not again destroy Ephraim. For I am God, and not man, The Holy One in your midst; And I will not come with terror. 10 "They shall walk after the LORD. He will roar like a lion. When He roars, Then His sons shall come trembling from the
west. 11 They shall come trembling like a bird from Egypt, Like a dove from the land of Assyria. And I will let them dwell in their houses,' says the LORD.

[ 23. March 2004, 21:35: Message edited by: Father Gregory ]

Posted by kiwigoldfish (# 5512) on :

quote:
No, because I don't believe God is a murderer. He can hardly say "Thou shalt not murder" and do it Himself, can He?

Unless He's bigger than the law, and the law was made to define our behaviour, not His. A supreme God would surely define ethics, rather than come under them. (Maybe we overrate our own significance? Unpopular idea for sure, and I'm not convinced.) But all that is problematic when we come to the question of Him commanding ethnic cleansing.

I tend to revert to the "it's a mystery" answer here, rather than select a specific interpretation. But not in a naff way. I face it perodically, I ask "did You? How could You? What does that mean?" I wrestle and get half answers that tend not to stick firmly. But I actually get a better understanding of God and myself in the process - in every other issue but this one. So it's mystery in a positive sense, not in a "don't ask such questions please" sense.

Something does strike me in my recent reading of the OT. Several times God says "I'm gonna fry them" and someone intercedes, and God relents. (eg. Moses and the Israelites more than once.) I read an interpretation of the Sodom story a while back that saw God's telling Abraham his intentions as a test of Abraham's understanding of his responsibility in the covenant, to which he responded by trying to find an out for the city on the basis of the few rescueing the many.

At the back of my mind is the possibility that this partnership issue has some merit. God says "these guys must go" and really wants Israel to recognise that they are agents of grace and intercede saying "No God, surely you're big enough to solve this another way." and God says "well done Tonto, you spotted my deliberate mistake."

But that could be quite shallow.

quote:
quote:

He drowns most of the world.
He kills all the firstborn of Egypt.
He drowns the Egyptian army in the Red Sea.
He turns a woman into a pillar of salt.
Fire and Brimstone rain down on Sodom and Gomorrah.
He says to the rich man: "tonight your life will be demanded of you".

He gives, and He takes away. That includes life.

Forget man-made atrocities (whether they think they're told to do it by God or not), what's so bad about God Himself deciding to end it all tonight?

[whather?]

[ 23. March 2004, 23:15: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

quote:
Originally posted by kiwigoldfish:
At the back of my mind is the possibility that this partnership issue has some merit. God says "these guys must go" and really wants Israel to recognise that they are agents of grace and intercede saying "No God, surely you're big enough to solve this another way." and God says "well done Tonto, you spotted my deliberate mistake."

But that could be quite shallow.

I like this idea (shallow or not) ... it probably appeals to my obsessive need to involve human free will in the process. Of course, the Jonah story might suggest that when we humans *don't* get the idea and intercede, God might save the pagans in spite of us, to teach us a lesson.

But I think Jonah represents a later stage in Hebrew thought and theology than, say, Joshua, which brings us back to the progressive revelation thing again. I remember being told in a youth Bible study when I was about 16 what progressive revelation was...and why it couldn't be true. Darn. For a few minutes there it looked like I had an answer that might help me make sense of the Bible. Twenty years later, I find myself going back more and more to that answer and being helped by it when little else helps.

quote:
quote:

Consequently, He cannot, with any consistency, have ordered Joshua to commit mass murder either. The whole point here is that the Joshua genocides are akin to the nuclear attack concept I suggested - man attacking man. What, ultimately, is the difference between Joshua and Bin Laden? Both believe(d) it is conceivable that God would order genocide, both are/were willing to do it. Who are we to say that Joshua was right and Bin Laden is wrong?

Hmmmm .... let's say there are 1000 fatal heart attacks tonight across America ... and assume that's about the usual amount. If God decided their time was up ... and I suppose most of us would take that view .... how is that different from 1000 Amalekites judged after numerous attacks against the Jews? Innocent children? They die every day as well, often of painful cancers. I have a lot harder time understanding that than a quick death in a genocide!

The difference between Joshua and Osama is that Joshua was told to do it by God, and received evidence it was God who was speaking to him. It's certainly not man against man when God has commanded it! Osama simply decided on his own that Allah wanted him to kill people.

Now let's say that leftwingers are right about President Bush being worse than Osama, worse than Hitler, worse than the Antichrist .... let's say he goes on a rampage around the world, conquering nations for oil, sandalwood incense, enchiladas, whatever. And let's further say that most Americans enthusiastically support him, bombing innocent civilians and withholding nourishment from little children around the world, even as the loving Saddams of the world desperately try to save the little ones.

Wouldn't you want to see some sort of judgment on the USA if that happened, eventually? That we be humbled, that some measure of justice would be served on us as a nation? But I don't think we could get a just punishment without it affecting some innocent people.

And as we know, innocent good Christians even as we speak are having bad things happen to them. So the innocent ones may have to suffer from the punishment even if they're not being punished.

quote:
Originally posted by hermit:
quote:
quote:

Hmmmm .... let's say there are 1000 fatal heart attacks tonight across America ... and assume that's about the usual amount. If God decided their time was up ... and I suppose most of us would take that view .... how is that different from 1000 Amalekites judged after numerous attacks against the Jews? Innocent children? They die every day as well, often of painful cancers. I have a lot harder time understanding that than a quick death in a genocide!
If I thought that these painful cancers were the work of God, I'd drop Christianity like a brick.

quote:
The difference between Joshua and Osama is that Joshua was told to do it by God, and received evidence it was God who was speaking to him. It's certainly not man against man when God has commanded it! Osama simply decided on his own that Allah wanted him to kill people.
So the only thing wrong with Bin Laden killing lots of people is that he's wrong about God ordering it. It'd be perfectly OK if God did do so? No. Evil is evil. If God orders a genocide, then God is ordering an evil act. I don't believe in completely relative morality.

quote:
Now let's say that leftwingers are right about President Bush being worse than Osama, worse than Hitler, worse than the Antichrist ....
Raise that strawman of the leftwing position again and I'll see you in Hell. Misrepresentation will get your hide tanned fast, matey.

quote:
let's say he goes on a rampage around the world, conquering nations for oil, sandalwood incense, enchiladas, whatever. And let's further say that most Americans enthusiastically support him, bombing innocent civilians and withholding nourishment from little children around the world, even as the loving Saddams of the world desperately try to save the little ones.
Is that "loving Saddam" statement another strawman or just you being stupid?

quote:
Wouldn't you want to see some sort of judgment on the USA if that happened, eventually? That we be humbled, that some measure of justice would be served on us as a nation? But I don't think we could get a just punishment without it affecting some innocent people.
No. I'd want to see you turn around and mend your ways. I would like to see you make recompense for the ills you had done. But I would get no pleasure or satisfaction on seeing any kind of disaster happening to you.

Do you remember all that fuss about Pinochet standing trial or not doing so some years ago. I was one of those lefties who thought he should. Why? Did I want to see him hang or be imprisoned? Not particularly. What I wanted was acknowledgement that he was responsible and the truth to be outed.

quote:
And as we know, innocent good Christians even as we speak are having bad things happen to them. So the innocent ones may have to suffer from the punishment even if they're not being punished.
Are you suggesting that the bad things that happen to Christians are God punishing someone else and them getting in the way?

[Edited for quote UBB.]

[ 24. March 2004, 08:29: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

quote:
Joshua a Jesus figure?

Where does Jesus kill thousands of innocent along with the guilty? Where, indeed, does Jesus kill anyone at all? What is His reaction every time?

"Forgive them Father"
"Put your sword back in its place. For those who live by the sword will die by it"

Karl,
it never ceases to amaze me how selective your memory becomes in these discussions.
Try these
"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn
" 'a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law"
or, as I have quoted to you before:

"So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds. "

And I think, if you read any of the Gospels carefully you will find Jesus predicting his own role in a judgement far worse than that brought about by Joshua. One of many possible for examples:
""Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out--those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned. By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me."

Posted by Cheesy* (# 3330) on :

Have you ever read John 3:17 Lep?

C

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
Have you ever read John 3:17 Lep?

C

Of course. Which is again another passage relevant to this issue. My point was to say that its not as easy as saying "Jesus didn't agree with condemning people to death every time" as Karl did. Obviously his attitude was somewhat more complex than that.

quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
quote:
Joshua a Jesus figure?

"Forgive them Father"

Karl,
it never ceases to amaze me how selective your memory becomes in these discussions.

It's not my memory that's selective. It's my judgement of what's relevant.

quote:
Try these
"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn
" 'a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law"

Do you really interpret these to mean that Jesus wants men to take swords and kill their fathers, daughters their mothers and so on? Of course not! It's about the fact that folk will be divided about Him, and that He will create stronger loyalties than biological familial ones. So they're not relevant to discussions about genocide. Not even nearly.

or, as I have quoted to you before:

quote:
"So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds. "
And we've discussed it before, as well. Do you really think Jesus kills children to punish their parents? Not any Jesus I'd touch with a bargepole. Why do you want to believe in a God whose such an evil git?

quote:
And I think, if you read any of the Gospels carefully you will find Jesus predicting his own role in a judgement far worse than that brought about by Joshua. One of many possible for examples:
""Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out--those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned. By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me."

But you see the point here - it's a just punishment on thse who have done evil. Joshua's genocides were not - they killed evil and innocent alike. Everyone slain. That is not justice, it is mass murder. That you try to defend it makes me even less interested in your way of understanding the Bible and God, to be frank.

quote:
Joshua's genocides were not - they killed evil and innocent alike. Everyone slain.

"There is no one righteous. Not even one."

Who were the innocent exactly?

Babes in arms spring to mind

Unless you're really going to suggest that babies deserve death?

Surely you wouldn't suggest that mass genocide is a correct way to behave today Lep - even if you believe God was telling you?

If God was telling me that, I hope I would have the sense to go and see a doctor.

C

We all deserve death. It is God's right to give life and take it away. That he allows any of us to go on living is grace, not justice.
That does not imply (as you suggest)that we have the right to kill each other. But it does mean that God can deal with people as he sees fit.

Unless he is to be constrained by Karl's conception of justice? Much as I respect you Karl, I have no wish to worship you.

Lep, if we've really got to the point where you're arguing that we all deserve to be brutally murdered, so it's OK for Joshua to go and do it, I think my work is done.

Riiight Lep. So hes going to judge people on the things that they might have done had they been alive to do it is he? Or alternatively, we are all infected with Adam's sin so we are all worthless from the start (and what was so bad about that again?). Sorry mate, my God is a lot nicer than that, and I am looking forward to having new (and eternal) life with all my downs syndrome friends who cannot really understand anything down here.

C

quote:
Lep, if we've really got to the point where you're arguing that we all deserve to be brutally murdered, so it's OK for Joshua to go and do it, I think my work is done.

To look at it another way:
Have we really got to the point where you are saying that God is kind to our pitiful race because we deserve it, because it is just that he should, rather than because he is merciful? Erm...I think you'll find that's the opposite of Christianity.

If God is merciful, He would not be calling on Joshua to commit a most unmerciful genocide on entire cities.

Just to add - isn't one of the points of the parable of Dives and Lazarus that Lazarus is taken to the bosom of Abraham in paradise because that's what he deserves? Should both actually have been in Hell?

quote:
If God is merciful, He would not be calling on Joshua to commit a most unmerciful genocide on entire cities.

In the same way that he would not be calling down the punishment that fell on Sodom onto Capernaum? Oops, Jesus not merciful then.

Cheesy, I'm not sure what your point about down's syndrome sufferers has got to do with it. Are you suggesting that because I believe God is just that I must also believe that people who have learning difficulties can't go to heaven? I hope you are not suggesting that.
As for your point about what would happen if God told me to commit a massacre - well that's really the inerrancy question phrased a different way. And there's another thread for that.

Incidentally, this sig is also gibberish

'The only test of past conversion is present convertedness'

Unless you are God himself there is no test.

C

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
Incidentally, this sig is also gibberish

'The only test of past conversion is present convertedness'

Unless you are God himself there is no test.

C

You may take this up with its author, Mr Packer.

But Jesus doesn't actually call the judgement down on them - not in the sense that anything happens.

Do you really think that God is going to punish entire cities for the sins of some of the inhabitants? Abraham noticed that was unjust and argued against God doing it. I seem to be in august company in my similar objection!

quote:
But Jesus doesn't actually call the judgement down on them - not in the sense that anything happens.

Karl,
Iam confused about what you are arguing for:
Is it
a) We deserve God to treat us well, because we are ..well not bad really, especially ickle children. (ref: your Lazarus comment)
OR
b) Because God is merciful he shoud not treat us badly (ref your comment on God's mercy).?

Personally I think in answer to a) Jesus taught all of us were bad, we deserve nothing good. and b) God as at liberty to make what he will of his creation - his ultimate mercy would have been demonstrated in saving even one sinner in all of history, never mind billions.

Re Sodom and Capernaum - he does make it clear that this judgement will come..on the day of judgement. And you are in august company, although you will note in that story that the whole of Sodom does get destroyed, precisely because there were no righteous people. Which is my point.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "punish".

For the truly innocent people of the city, a fast track to Heaven might be better than having to stay down here, mired in sin, for another x years.

(I'll note here that for anyone who doesn't believe in Hell, or that it exists but is empty, the above qualifier "truly innocent" is redundant. It's also interchangeable with "forgiven".)

That's not a justification of human instigated genocide, as we are commanded not to kill. But if God Himself were to rain down brimstone on the city, who here would call Him unjust?

Let's not take too much of a this-world-centered view here.

[ 24. March 2004, 10:05: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

Were it historically accurate, the Sodom story would make no sense, because there are always innocent people in any setting. The story goes to great lengths, indeed, to demonstrate that punishing the innocent along with the guilty is something that God cannot do. Hence, Marvin, the answer to your question is "I would." - Abraham did.

Point of order - there were escapees from Sodom - Lot. Lot represents in the story (which I think is largely mythological as we have it in Genesis) the innocent. We have assurance from God that He won't destroy the city if there are innocent people there - again, guaranteed if the story were historical, but it's not - it's like the flood story - it teaches theological points.

Moving on - (a) is certainly true of some people. I know of plenty who are like Lazarus in the story, and whom justice would take to heaven. (b) This is for the rest of us. Of course, none of us are perfect, but what system of justice would condemn for not being perfect? We, fortunately, do not have to work out where we are with regard to (a) and (b) because God is merciful, as said again and again throughout the Bible.

Marvin,

As the geniuses in Christian Aid's marketing department have it, "We believe in life before death".

The incarnation kind of demands we take a this-world centred view of morality. One can't ignore crime or poverty or whatever because "God will set it all right in the end". This is because the teaching of Jesus and much of the OT strongly tells us that the lives we live in this world are valuable and precious to God, so how can we justify the mass slaughter of many of them?

I agree with Karl. Some people's lives have been so bad and so horrid that they surely deserve eternal life. Unfortunately as we have the luxury of being able to think and discuss the issue this probably doesn't include us.

In which case the important thing about terrible suffering is our response to it and what we do about it.

C

quote:
Were it historically accurate, the Sodom story would make no sense, because there are always innocent people in any setting. The story goes to great lengths, indeed, to demonstrate that punishing the innocent along with the guilty is something that God cannot do. Hence, Marvin, the answer to your question is "I would." - Abraham did.

So you do view being called to Heaven early as a punishment?

I'd almost see it as a reward...

Marvin - It's not the "getting to heaven early" bit, it's the getting killed bit.

You were all for stringing up child murderers earlier - but aren't they doing them a favour by your logic?

Sean has said the rest.

There are still many here who receive the hateful psychotic aspects and sublime loving aspects of the divine references in the Scriptures (Old AND New) as if they are of equal value and somehow to be reconciled. This doomed enterprise needs to waken up to what's really going on in the Bible. The SENSE of the true God through revelation is EMERGENT in the Bible, not hotly and freshly delivered entire complete and of equal nutritional value.

[ 24. March 2004, 10:36: Message edited by: Father Gregory ]

quote:

You see, the root of the problem here is views of the Bible again. I would assume that the story must make sense, and what it teaches is that there are no innocent people in that city (and I think Lot escapes because of his relationship to Abraham - children of Abraham being the heirs of the covenant etc.) Again, I would see this backed up by the many later statements of original sin in the Bible. To me, its just not an option to say "this doesn't make sense, because I know there are innocent people". I agree that it shows that it is wrong to punish the innocent - therefore as everyone gets punished....QED. I would also point out Karl, at the risk of getting your goat, that you seemed to view this story as having a moral persuasive value when it backed up what you already thought about innocence and guilt. But it seems strange to me that you view Abraham's behaviour in this story as setting a moral paradigm, but not God's.

quote:

Moving on - (a) is certainly true of some people. I know of plenty who are like Lazarus in the story, and whom justice would take to heaven.

And yet God's justice demonstrated elsewhere never rescues people, only condmens. His MERCY rescues, his justice only leads to condemnation.

Posted by Crash Test Christian (# 5313) on :

If we don't buy in to the God of the Bible, then what are we buying in to? Jesus apart from the Hebrew God? That doesn't work because of Jesus claimed to be sent by (be one with) that God.

Do we not acknowledge God as the author of morality? Can we call the Author immoral based on his standards? Many on this thread have.

Karl, if we are defining God apart from what is given in the Bible, we are therefore inventing a different god than Jesus spoke of; therefore, inventing a religion, in this case one that fits a less offensive god.

We are also in no position to know who may deserve death and those who are innocent. It is presumptious to say we know better than God.

I don't want to sound like I'm all for genocide, or that genocide is only offensive. But if God did tell Joshua to wipe out these people (and the Bible says He did), then what choice does Joshua have? The difference to me is I believe God told Joshua to do it and bin Laden is action on his own.

[tangent]
Joshua is a Christ type in that he save Isreal from her enemies. In fact the Jews were looking for a military leader to be the Messiah.
BTW- Jesus = Joshua (Yeshewa) in Greek
[/tangent]

No, in the story of Lazarus and Dives, his justice takes Lazarus to the bosom of Abraham.

And I do see a moral paradigm being set in the actions of God in the Sodom story. And that is that God agrees that it is unjust to punish the innocent along with the guilty - a principle completely undermined by the Joshua genocides.

quote:
Marvin - It's not the "getting to heaven early" bit, it's the getting killed bit.

It happens to everyone sooner or later. Personally I'd rather go in a nuclear explosion (quick, relatively painless) than a long, drawn out, agonising decay of the body.

quote:
You were all for stringing up child murderers earlier - but aren't they doing them a favour by your logic?
You're confusing two issues. Earthly justice is about what we deserve, God's justice is about mercy.

quote:

And I do see a moral paradigm being set in the actions of God in the Sodom story. And that is that God agrees that it is unjust to punish the innocent along with the guilty - a principle completely undermined by the Joshua genocides.

But Karl. God then goes on to rain down fire on the city! In the same way he uses his people to bring his judgement on the Amalekites (I think) in Joshua! God does agree that it is wrong to punish the innocent, but seems to then be implying that, at least in Sodom, there was no one innocent!

And sorry to double post, but I've just read the story of Lazarus and there is no mention of justice.

quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test Christian:
If we don't buy in to the God of the Bible, then what are we buying in to? Jesus apart from the Hebrew God? That doesn't work because of Jesus claimed to be sent by (be one with) that God.

Do we not acknowledge God as the author of morality? Can we call the Author immoral based on his standards? Many on this thread have.

Karl, if we are defining God apart from what is given in the Bible, we are therefore inventing a different god than Jesus spoke of; therefore, inventing a religion, in this case one that fits a less offensive god.

We are also in no position to know who may deserve death and those who are innocent. It is presumptious to say we know better than God.

That's one view. Mine differs. Unless you're suggesting we're actually wrong to find genocide morally repulsive, and should rather capitulate to God and say "although I think genocide is terrible, God knows best and He says it's OK"? I don't have the mental furniture for that. Evil stays evil, regardless of who orders it.

quote:
I don't want to sound like I'm all for genocide, or that genocide is only offensive. But if God did tell Joshua to wipe out these people (and the Bible says He did), then what choice does Joshua have? The difference to me is I believe God told Joshua to do it and bin Laden is action on his own.
So blowing up 10,000 people in the WTC is only wrong because God didn't tell him to do it? My answer to "what choice does Joshua have" is to stand up in defiance against a clearly pathologically evil deity.

quote:
[tangent]
Joshua is a Christ type in that he save Isreal from her enemies. In fact the Jews were looking for a military leader to be the Messiah.
BTW- Jesus = Joshua (Yeshewa) in Greek
[/tangent]

This I know. What I find fascinating is that events showed they were looking for completely the wrong thing.

Incidently, both you and Lep have said the difference between Joshua and Bin Laden is that the latter wasn't under God's orders. How do we know that? I know Bin Laden wasn't under God's orders because I don't believe in a God who would order genocide. Since you do, how do you know?

[ 24. March 2004, 10:49: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

quote:
And sorry to double post, but I've just read the story of Lazarus and there is no mention of justice.

You didn't look very closely.

"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.'"

That is the justice principle on which Lazarus' place in paradise is based - that he had a shit time down here, so he is comforted in heaven. Not condemned.

Because Dives did nothing to help him, he stands condemned.

quote:
quote:

But Karl. God then goes on to rain down fire on the city! In the same way he uses his people to bring his judgement on the Amalekites (I think) in Joshua! God does agree that it is wrong to punish the innocent, but seems to then be implying that, at least in Sodom, there was no one innocent!
Which works if the city is symbolic and the account is not literal. But in any real city, there are good and bad people intermingled. It's almost a form of racism to suggest that "all New Yorkers are evil", or "All Parisians are evil", or for that matter, "All Jerichoans are evil".

Which is an interesting point. Given that many scholars are of the opinion that the Exodus is not historical anyway (and the fact that Hebrew is a Canaanite, not a Babylonian language with bits of Egyptian in it, which is what we'd expect if Abraham came from Ur and his descendants lived in Egypt for generations), aren't an awful lot of problems resolved by seeing the Joshua accounts as being a foundational origin myth?

quote:

Incidently, both you and Lep have said the difference between Joshua and Bin Laden is that the latter wasn't under God's orders. How do we know that? I know Bin Laden wasn't under God's orders because I don't believe in a God who would order genocide. Since you do, how do you know?

Because interpreting these events through the glasses of the NT (I too believe in progressive revelation [Eek!] ) they are pictures of JESUS bringing God's judgement at the end of time. The NT makes it clear that in the mean time we are to entrust God to judge, not take it upon ourselves. Because I believe in the authority (and inerrancy [Razz] ) of the NT as well as the Old, it means that I can't use these actions as a justification for killing people. Rather I entrust Jesus, the instrument of God's justice to do so on that day.

Posted by Crash Test Christian (# 5313) on :

I might have been unclear, so please allow me to correct any misunderstandings: Genocide is wrong. It is murder times x. But these are standards humans are held to.

[re-open tangent]
Karl:
quote:
This I know. What I find fascinating is that events showed they were looking for completely the wrong thing.
Are you saying most are currently looking for the wrong type of God, as in the time of Christ?
[/tangent]

quote:
quote:

"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.'"

I think you're reading rather more into that sentence than is there aren't you? Its just a statement of fact. There's nothing in the text that shows it to be a universal principle of justice.

quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test Christian:

You could try buying in to the idea of progressive revelation - we interpret the OT in the light of Jesus, who fully reveals the God is only partly known in the OT. Blatantly, there are things the OT doesn't disclose about God - e.g. the Trinity. So we can hardly say Jesus adds nothing new to our understanding. Hence, we revise certain aspects of our previous picture of God in the light of Jesus. What's the problem with doing this here?

quote:
This is rather circular. You assume (which is precisely what is under debate) that it was God who told Joshua what to do in the first place. In some parts of the OT God is regarded as the author of both good and evil. A good example is the census which Yahweh incites David to make in Samuel (I think) but which then he's angry against David for doing. In Chronicles this is revised so that it seen as Satan who incites David to sin.

The Bible revises itself. We are merely applying its own logic to itself.

If genocide is wrong, then God wouldn't go telling people to ignore His earlier instructions and go and do it.

What I think interesting here is that down in fossilised Mesohippi, we are told in the Inerrancy thread that we can weigh any potential instruction we think we have from God against Scripture, and if it doesn't match, it can't be from God. Had Joshua done that against the 10 commandments given 40 years earlier to Moses, it seems he'd have had to reject what he thought God was saying to him.

[tangent]

No. The people then were looking for the wrong sort of Messiah.

[/Tangent]

Posted by Talitha (# 5085) on :

I think we need to distinguish between God causing destruction (as in natural disasters) and people causing destruction (as in genocide.)

Theologically and intellectually, I don't have a problem with the former. (Emotionally I do, but that's a separate issue.)

I do have a problem with the latter. If people killing people is wrong, then surely it is still wrong even if God orders it? You no longer have the get-out clause of "God did it and the rules don't apply to him," because people did it. You can place God outside morality if you like, but I still believe in absolute morality for people.

Plus, as people on this thread have said, how can anyone know God ordered it?

quote:
quote:
quote:

I think you're reading rather more into that sentence than is there aren't you? Its just a statement of fact. There's nothing in the text that shows it to be a universal principle of justice.
I don't think so. Abraham is explaining the basis of the decision that put the two where they are - i.e. justice.

Ahem! Use of the Bible issues please? Nobody interested. Oh OK ....

quote:
Originally posted by Father Gregory:
Ahem! Use of the Bible issues please? Nobody interested. Oh OK ....

[jumps up and down eagerly] I am I am.

What do you mean?

I'm sure we would be if we knew what you meant, Fr.

OK ... let's drag this previous post back to the front. What is unclear in this please?

quote:
There are still many here who receive the hateful psychotic aspects and sublime loving aspects of the divine references in the Scriptures (Old AND New) as if they are of equal value and somehow to be reconciled. This doomed enterprise needs to waken up to what's really going on in the Bible. The SENSE of the true God through revelation is EMERGENT in the Bible, not hotly and freshly delivered entire complete and of equal nutritional value.

quote:
OK ... let's drag this previous post back to the front. What is unclear in this please?

quote:

Oh. I would have been jumping less eagerly if I had known that you meant this old chestnut. I've really had enough of it on tHe inerrancy thread.
Progressive revelation = OT incomplete BUT NOT MISTAKEN.

Dear Leprechaun

YOU'VE had enough of the inerrancy thread! [Biased] [Killing me]

The point is that until we get the use of the Bible right little else will be resolved when liberal and conservative positions pit themselves against each other on ANY issue.

I know you have probably written me off now as a hopeless liberal, not-taking-the-Bible-seriously type person. Nothing could be further from the truth.

There is a very real problem here with God as Cosmic Sadist .... quite willing (apparently) to kill the son of promise (Isaac) put the Amalekites under the ban etc. etc.

Some go through hoops and hand-stands to square this all with the God of Love. It can't be done. No matter how much mystery, total depravity or just requirements of the law of sin and death is imported into the equation ... the result is always the same ... distortion, incoherence, atheism. Allowing for the human factor in the Bible does NOT erode its authority. It makes it all the more cogent because it chronicles the experience of a people as they are led and saved by God.

The Old Testament is not mistaken; the New Testament is not mistaken. There is no need either to believe "7 impossible things before breakfast" .... Alice in Wonderland style .... OR to get out the Reader's Digest red pen and strike out all the nasty bits. You have to follow through on the Bible's own honesty .... and see where it leads.

Posted by IconiumBound (# 754) on :

Amen Fr G. Why have they missed the myth?

quote:
Progressive revelation = OT incomplete BUT NOT MISTAKEN.

Hi Leprechaun

I want to reply to this and will do so on the inerrancy thread as I think it would be a bit of a tangent to respond properly here. Ta!

quote:
Dear Leprechaun

The point is that until we get the use of the Bible right little else will be resolved when liberal and conservative positions pit themselves against each other on ANY issue.

There is a very real problem here with God as Cosmic Sadist .... quite willing (apparently) to kill the son of promise (Isaac) put the Amalekites under the ban etc. etc.

Some go through hoops and hand-stands to square this all with the God of Love. It can't be done. No matter how much mystery, total depravity or just requirements of the law of sin and death is imported into the equation ... the result is always the same ... distortion, incoherence, atheism. Allowing for the human factor in the Bible does NOT erode its authority. It makes it all the more cogent because it chronicles the experience of a people as they are led and saved by God.

The Old Testament is not mistaken; the New Testament is not mistaken. There is no need either to believe "7 impossible things before breakfast" .... Alice in Wonderland style .... OR to get out the Reader's Digest red pen and strike out all the nasty bits. You have to follow through on the Bible's own honesty .... and see where it leads.

So your position would be that the genocides happened historically, but weren't ordered by God? That seems to go along with the idea of "good is what modern professors of morals and ethics decide it is". We can't judge God, we have no more right than Job, or a small child has the right to judge a parent. The Creation is full of suffering and death, someone dying by genocide is no different in that sense than a saint dying by a heart attack.

NIV, 1 Samuel 15:2 This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt.
1 Samuel 15:3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy [ 15:3 The Hebrew term refers to the irrevocable giving over of things or persons to the LORD , often by totally destroying them; also in verses 8, 9, 15, 18, 20 and 21. ] everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.' "

Could you spend a little time defining your view on this particular passage, Father? Did it happen exactly as mentioned, or was it that Joshua claimed the Lord commanded it when it was really something he did on his own?

Now Karl has said that Biblical stories are just that, allowed into the Bible to teach moral points rather than being historical, I suppose analogous to Jesus telling parables. That's possible, but nonetheless the morality taught isn't what all of us would want - it teaches that the most important thing is to obey the Lord, even if that contradicts one's personal beliefs ... or personal beliefs about what God formerly commanded! The moral teachings of the OT are partly that if God commands us to kill, and we know truly and absolutely that is a command from God and not a delusion or hallucination, we must obey - and thus it isn't murder, any more than killing someone in pure self-defense is murder. "Absolute morals" means simply anything that God commands. There's no other reasonable way to define "absolute".

Chilling, Hermit, chilling.

I imagine that's the reasoning that those who murder abortion doctors use.

As do Al Qaeda.

Sorry to double post, the system designed by speedy young administrators wouldn't allow me to edit.

quote:
Dear Leprechaun

So your position would be that the genocides happened historically, but weren't ordered by God? That seems to go along with the idea of "good is what modern professors of morals and ethics decide it is", if you decide what was from God and what wasn't. As far as I understand your position it is different from the majority view in the Orthodox Church, so is your personal view - I believe your Church teaches that God ordered the genocides, doesn't it? We can't judge God, we have no more right than Job, or a small child has the right to judge a parent. The Creation designed by God is full of suffering and death, someone dying by genocide is no different in that sense than a saint dying by a heart attack.

NIV, 1 Samuel 15:2 This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt.
1 Samuel 15:3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy [ 15:3 The Hebrew term refers to the irrevocable giving over of things or persons to the LORD , often by totally destroying them; also in verses 8, 9, 15, 18, 20 and 21. ] everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.' "

Could you spend a little time defining your view on this particular passage, Father? Did it happen exactly as mentioned, or was it that Joshua claimed the Lord commanded it when it was really something he did on his own? I'm not trying to be rude, my mind needs specific examples before I can understand.

Now Karl has said that Biblical stories are just that, allowed into the Bible to teach moral points rather than being historical, I suppose analogous to Jesus telling parables. That's possible, but nonetheless the morality taught isn't what all of us would want - it teaches that the most important thing is to obey the Lord, even if that contradicts one's personal beliefs ... or personal beliefs about what God formerly commanded! The moral teachings of the OT are partly that if God commands us to kill, and we know truly and absolutely that is a command from God and not a delusion or hallucination, we must obey - and thus it isn't murder, any more than killing someone in pure self-defense is murder. "Absolute morals" means simply anything that God commands. There's no other reasonable way to define "absolute".

quote:
So your position would be that the genocides happened historically, but weren't ordered by God? That seems to go along with the idea of "good is what modern professors of morals and ethics decide it is", if you decide what was from God and what wasn't.

I think you'll find it's quite difficult to squeeze that line of argument out of what anybody has said on this thread.

The point is that a God who indeed ordered the mass slaughter of thousands or millions of people because their ancestors weren't nice to his people is totally irreconcilable with the God of love revealed in Jesus Christ, and the moral way of life which God himself demands - not to murder.

The issue is NOT whether God has the right to judge and avenge - clearly he does. But that is not the motive for his command given in this passage nor is it consistent with the picture of the God of mercy and forgiveness revealed in Jesus.

This isn't, therefore, just going along with what modern professors of ethics think. This slur is tiresome and manifestly untrue. It is simply observing that certain ways of reading the Bible end up painting God as a capricious and immoral terrorist. You end up undermining precisely what you seek to uphold - the character of God and the authority of Scripture.

[Removed swear word.]

[ 24. March 2004, 18:01: Message edited by: Sean D ]

Posted by sharkshoooter (# 1589) on :

quote:
The SENSE of the true God through revelation is EMERGENT in the Bible, not hotly and freshly delivered entire complete and of equal nutritional value.

I presume you could explain if/how this is different from dispensationalism. It seems to me that you are saying that God is revealed more completely in later times (NT), so therefore, we should place less reliance on the OT. Do I understand you correctly?

quote:

Ah but who gets to decide what is the "right" use of the bible. Please do not use You or the Orthodox in your response I might get upset [Biased] .

quote:

I know you have probably written me off now as a hopeless liberal, not-taking-the-Bible-seriously type person. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Some go through hoops and hand-stands to square this all with the God of Love. It can't be done. No matter how much mystery, total depravity or just requirements of the law of sin and death is imported into the equation ... the result is always the same ... distortion, incoherence, atheism.

I am bordering on taking offense at this on behalf of myself and probably a few thousand or million others. Distortion to whom? Incoherance to whom? How do you KNOW it always results in "atheism". Please, try not to lump people that question biblical authority into some homogenous unit. We aren't. Some of us are trying really hard NOT to become atheists in the face of damning biblical literature evidence.
quote:

Allowing for the human factor in the Bible does NOT erode its authority. It makes it all the more cogent because it chronicles the experience of a people as they are led and saved by God.

Oh, I don't know, I think once it becomes a human endeavor (and it was) it becomes a matter of complete choice, a matter of complete faith, how much authority one wants to put into it or erode away from it. Some might choose atheism in the face of the humanity of the bible, some might choose a very liberal Christianity, some might close their ears and wish it were not true.
quote:

Okay so I thought we might break down what some of the different possible ways of explaining God might look like (italics are my commentary for fun):

Emergence School - God is. We are just seeing different aspects as we proceed from the OT to the NT. God was an asshole, but now we see he's also nice too.

Process Theology - God is evolving with us.
God was an asshole, but he changed and is nice now.

Inerrentist - God is as described, deal with it.
OT Asshole. NT Nice Guy. Numerous ideas as to why, none really satisfying.

OT is no longer applicable, thus that God is no longer applicable.
Okay, but why is the NT any better?

I think that covers the possibilities mentioned so far. Please add on as you see fit.

quote:
Do you really think Jesus kills children to punish their parents? Not any Jesus I'd touch with a bargepole. Why do you want to believe in a God whose such an evil git?

I guess you really don't like the highlighted part of this one, then:

quote:
Exodus 20

The Ten Commandments

1 And God spoke all these words:
5 ... I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Dunno about Karl, but I don't like that one.

And I'm not sure how I possibly could "like" that idea...

Do you like that one? Can you explain why it seems nice to you and what lesson you draw from it?

Oh, and doesn't reading that literally make God a liar? He certainly hasn't looked after a thousand generations of the offspring of the righteous, and Ecclesiastes and Job portray God in a different light. Do you think he's schizophrenic or what?

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

My goodness. You sure do get into trouble when you take it all so literally. [Eek!]

The Bible is highly symbolic. God is presented as a bloodthirsty tyrant at times in the Old Testament because the first principle of having a God is that God is in charge. The truth is that the Bible was written in a dark and wicked time, and the imagery suits the times. [Disappointed]

God is love itself. It is impossible for Him to be angry. Descriptions of His anger are imagery describing the truth that evil returns to its source. [Paranoid]

quote:

Do you like that one?

It is irrelevant whether or not I like it. That would be the pinnacle of arrogance.

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

God is love itself. It is impossible for Him to be angry.

I don't see it that way. The Bible is full of descriptions of God showing many aspects other than love. I choose not to ignore or rationalize them.

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshoooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

God is love itself. It is impossible for Him to be angry.

I don't see it that way. The Bible is full of descriptions of God showing many aspects other than love. I choose not to ignore or rationalize them.
I would think we have to rationalize (as in find a rational reason) this dichotomy if we are going to describe/follow/interact with God, wouldn't we? Don't we have an obligation to try to understand how God could be Angry and Loving?

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Sex Geo:
I would think we have to rationalize (as in find a rational reason) this dichotomy if we are going to describe/follow/interact with God, wouldn't we? Don't we have an obligation to try to understand how God could be Angry and Loving?

This assumes:

1. God acts in a way which we would describe as rational.

2. We can understand God well enough to explain the apparent dichotomy.

I don't make those assumptions.

Posted by Bonzo (# 2481) on :

quote:

I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Hmmm, compare to:

Deuteronomy 24:16
Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sin.

Jeremiah 31:29-30
"In those days people will no longer say,
'The fathers have eaten sour grapes,
and the children's teeth are set on edge.'
30 Instead, everyone will die for his own sin; whoever eats sour grapes-his own teeth will be set on edge.

Ezekiel 18:20
The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him.

quote:
quote:

This assumes:

Well I find myself in the interesting position that I kinda agree with you, but I also kinda think we have an obligation to explain ourselves and our perspectives to others which really means a certain amount of rational thought regarding these things, I would think.

Of course, YMMV.

Posted by Callan. (# 525) on :

Originally posted by Hermit:

quote:
(my italics).

This only holds if the story is literally true. If it is a parable then it could be a metaphor. Jesus taught us about the unjust judge as a way of explaining what God is like, but he didn't mean us to go away and believe that God was an unjust judge. If the story isn't literal historical fact, but is an ancestor narrative then it doesn't have to be interpreted literally.

Now there are good reasons to believe that the story is an ancestor narrative. There is no archeological evidence for an Israelite invasion of Canaan as described in the book of Joshua and the nature of the miracles performed, such as the incident where the sun stops in the sky to allow Joshua to complete one of his campaigns of ethnic cleansing, strikes many scholars as being mythical.

Now one may dispute this - when I studied OT I was informed that the scholarly consensus is that History enters the OT with the reign of King David but scholarly consensuses (consensi) have fallen before. But it is impossible, given the current state of historical knowledge, to say with certainty that God commanded Joshua to commit genocide, or indeed that such genocide occurred. Therefore we cannot say with certainty that God has ever commanded someone to commit genocide. The element of doubt which I have italicised is present, in fact is inherent, in these texts.

OTOH we can place a much higher degree of reliability on the narratives of Christ's teaching in the New Testament, which are clearly pacific in their nature. This teaching is complemented by that of the Apostles, the Fathers and by later Church Tradition and by reason. Ergo we have a clear reason to believe that Christ told us that violence was against God's will, and this teaching is clearly more satisfactory, intellectually and morally, than any morality one can derive from the book of Joshua.

Even if morality is contingent on nothing less than the command of God the evidence that He has commanded us not to kill is vastly stronger than the evidence he commanded Joshua to commit genocide.

Given the enormity of countenancing genocide - even at this distance it is not an act we would countenance lightly - the element of reasonable doubt should lead us to conclude that genocide is always wrong and not countenanced by God unless, presumably we have ideological reasons to believe that the book of Joshua is equivalent to the revelation of God in Jesus Christ, or unless we think that genocide is quite licit and wish to legitimise our convictions by window dressing them with Christianity. Where do you stand Hermit?

I want to keep this very simple for clarity's sake ... if being a Christian means worshipping a god who commands the slaughter of humans including women and children then I am an atheist.

Happily I am not an atheist. Happily I believe in God who is Love and who cannot countenance evil. Happily I can usually recognise the whiff of sulphur when I smell it.

The truly frightening thing in this thread (as Karl and others have pointd out) is that such abuse of the Bible can be matched in every religion that is prepared to resort to violence to uphold an alleged divine perogative.

How do I handle the nasty bits? ... I go to the Church; I do not rely on my own insights or the insights of any confessional group ... I listen to what holier people than I have said about sweetness of my Saviour. I recognise that sinners such as myself were biblical scribes. They were fiercely passionate in their love for God ... sometimes too fierce. The discernment comes not from academia or an alternative ethic but from the Spirit in the body of the faithful ... not personal illuminism.

I am going to bed now really quite depressed. Lord have mercy!

[ 24. March 2004, 22:56: Message edited by: Father Gregory ]

quote:
I want to keep this very simple for clarity's sake ... if being a Christian means worshipping a god who commands the slaughter of humans including women and children then I am an atheist.

Happily I am not an atheist. Happily I believe in God who is Love and who cannot countenance evil. Happily I can usually recognise the whiff of sulphur when I smell it.

The truly frightening thing in this thread (as Karl and others have pointd out) is that such abuse of the Bible can be matched in every religion that is prepared to resort to violence to uphold an alleged divine perogative.

How do I handle the nasty bits? ... I go to the Church; I do not rely on my own insights or the insights of any confessional group ... I listen to what holier people than I have said about sweetness of my Saviour. I recognise that sinners such as myself were biblical scribes. They were fiercely passionate in their love for God ... sometimes too fierce. The discernment comes not from academia or an alternative ethic but from the Spirit in the body of the faithful ... not personal illuminism.

I am going to bed now really quite depressed. Lord have mercy! [/QB]

Ah the simple and the clear. Rarely, on bad days, I wish I could go back to the days when I could defer to an outside authority. But how does one defer to an outside authority (i.e. the Church) when the outside authority is deferring to the bible? And the bible was written by man?
And the acedemia you dismissed shows that all of the above is built on stories written by man. A house of cards built on stories.

Ironically personal illuminism (by which I assume you mean some form of mysticism) is all many of us have left.

If mysticism doesn't cut it, than I am an atheist.

quote:
quote:

This assumes:

This is what I was trying to state, but of course I was a bit clumsier about it!

quote:
Now there are good reasons to believe that the story is an ancestor narrative. There is no archeological evidence for an Israelite invasion of Canaan as described in the book of Joshua and the nature of the miracles performed, such as the incident where the sun stops in the sky to allow Joshua to complete one of his campaigns of ethnic cleansing, strikes many scholars as being mythical.

Callan, one thing I recently noticed is that the genocide stories mainly seem to come from outside the Torah and Prophets, which were specifically what Jesus affirmed of our OT. So I'm not obligated to believe in them according to my own personal system of getting at the OT through the gospels. But nonetheless there's some continuity of thought about Canaanites and Amelekites from Genesis to the historical books, so there's always the possibility.
quote:
OTOH we can place a much higher degree of reliability on the narratives of Christ's teaching in the New Testament, which are clearly pacific in their nature. This teaching is complemented by that of the Apostles, the Fathers and by later Church Tradition and by reason. Ergo we have a clear reason to believe that Christ told us that violence was against God's will, and this teaching is clearly more satisfactory, intellectually and morally, than any morality one can derive from the book of Joshua.

I agree that the gospels and Paul are more reliable. I don't believe they teach pure pacifism. The first commandment was to love God with all heart mind and soul, the commandment to love neighbor as self came second. Whatever the command to carry sword might have meant symbolically, it's certain that the apostles carried swords, that Jesus knew that, and that swords were mainly meant for violent self-defense.
There were elements of early Christianity who interpreted the gospels as purely pacifist, and others who didn't.
quote:
Even if morality is contingent on nothing less than the command of God the evidence that He has commanded us not to kill is vastly stronger than the evidence he commanded Joshua to commit genocide.
He didn't command us not to kill in the English sense of the word. He commanded us not to murder, in the legal system He set up back then.
quote:
Given the enormity of countenancing genocide - even at this distance it is not an act we would countenance lightly - the element of reasonable doubt should lead us to conclude that genocide is always wrong and not countenanced by God unless, presumably we have ideological reasons to believe that the book of Joshua is equivalent to the revelation of God in Jesus Christ, or unless we think that genocide is quite licit and wish to legitimise our convictions by window dressing them with Christianity. Where do you stand Hermit?

No one here is saying ordinary genocide is right. Let's put aside the particular one that supposedly occurred back then and focus on the more general question: If God commands us to kill some person or person, and we can know absolutely, completely certainly that He commanded it, should we obey? (Let's assume that an omnipotent God could somehow make us completely certain He commanded it). By the greatest commandment of Jesus, I say it would be right and obligatory for us to do it, and it would not be murder in His eyes, but simply killing in obediance.
quote:
4Peter began and explained everything to them precisely as it had happened: 5"I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. I saw something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to where I was. 6I looked into it and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles, and birds of the air. 7Then I heard a voice telling me, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'
8"I replied, 'Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth.'
9"The voice spoke from heaven a second time, 'Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.'

quote:
The point is that a God who indeed ordered the mass slaughter of thousands or millions of people because their ancestors weren't nice to his people is totally irreconcilable with the God of love revealed in Jesus Christ, and the moral way of life which God himself demands - not to murder.

The issue is NOT whether God has the right to judge and avenge - clearly he does. But that is not the motive for his command given in this passage nor is it consistent with the picture of the God of mercy and forgiveness revealed in Jesus.

This isn't, therefore, just going along with what modern professors of ethics think. This slur is tiresome and manifestly untrue. It is simply observing that certain ways of reading the Bible end up painting God as a capricious and immoral terrorist.

See Sharkshooter's admirable post I quoted above, Sean.
quote:
But how does one defer to an outside authority (i.e. the Church) when the outside authority is deferring to the bible? And the bible was written by man?
And the acedemia you dismissed shows that all of the above is built on stories written by man. A house of cards built on stories.

Which academia was that, MSG? Surely you know that most bible scholars around the world don't subscribe to that view? Or rather that it WAS written by men, who were inspired by God.

[ 25. March 2004, 03:14: Message edited by: hermit ]

Posted by Cusanus (# 692) on :

quote:
If God commands us to kill some person or person, and we can know absolutely, completely certainly that He commanded it, should we obey? (Let's assume that an omnipotent God could somehow make us completely certain He commanded it). By the greatest commandment of Jesus, I say it would be right and obligatory for us to do it, and it would not be murder in His eyes, but simply killing in obediance.

And how does this make us different from Al-Qaida? If I was convinced God told me to do this, I hope I would have the courage to go to hell along with Huck Finn.

Posted by JimT (# 142) on :

quote:
If God commands us to kill some person or person, and we can know absolutely, completely certainly that He commanded it, should we obey? (Let's assume that an omnipotent God could somehow make us completely certain He commanded it).

Interesting assumption. Why should we obey this commandment simply because God is omnipotent? Why should we disobey our conscience simply because an omnipotent God tells us to do something Satanic? Isn't the Law written even on the hearts of unbelievers, as Paul says?

Which brings us to the real point: the very way we discern whether we are receiving commandments from God or evil prompting from Satan is the nature of the prompting. Thunderous words do not come down from Heaven or up from the pit of Hell, but from the imaginings of our minds.

Hermit's and sharkshooter's God whose righteousness is beyond our comprehension might ask us to strangle an infant slowly for a righteous reason we cannot comprehend. But I say that the nature of the request itself tells us instantly that it is some bizarre evil. Satan can feign that he is God, but God does not feign that he is Satan. We are commanded by Satan, not God, to be the agent of merited torture or destruction. Since the time of Christ, God has given us unmerited favor and expects us to pass it along.

With respect to killing, I can only see the use of lethal force in the case where immanent and immediate loss of innocent life seems certain and no other option is available.

Dear JimT

[Overused]

What worries me is the suspension of an innate (God-given) moral sense that some believers experience when they fixate on something written by a fallible human being. Some have often felt like "dashing babies against the rocks" (Psalm 137:8-9) but don't do that because they recognise their inner psychological turmoil and have enough presence of mind by grace to stay their hands. To authorise that or even to sanctify that in the name of God is, literally, demonic. They can be absolutely no compromise between God and Satan. Satan is neither God's avenging angel nor the instrument of his alleged wrath. He (Satan) is both the enemy of humankind and of God.

quote:
quote:
This assumes:

<snips>
See Sharkshooter's admirable post I quoted above, Sean.

It's not a question of whether God acts in a way which we would see as rational and moral but whether he acts in a way which is consistent with his own self-revealed character. He reveals himself as rational. He reveals himself as loving and opposed to the wanton destruction of human life. It is not therefore a question of whether our puny little minds can understand God sufficiently, because our puny little minds don't need to try and work God out - that's the point of revelation. He tells us what he is like.

Plainly and simply: God is either irrational and capricious or he is loving and just. He can't be both - but not because my brain can't comprehend how he could be both, but because he has revealed in Jesus Christ that he is not both. I have made my decision which I think he is not on the basis of my own fuzzy feelings but because of the God revealed on the cross.

Dear Sean

Amen. Amen. Amen. [Overused]

quote:
Dear Sean

Amen. Amen. Amen. [Overused]

I believe Amen is usually only appropriate when addressing God [Biased] Now I have to remind myself that "Me" is not short for "Messiah"...

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

Sorry, I'm about to be pedantic (so what's new?).
First there's this.

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter: addressing Karl Liberal Backslider
:

I guess you really don't like the highlighted part of this one, then:

quote:
Exodus 20

The Ten Commandments

1 And God spoke all these words:
5 ... I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments.

And then there's this.

quote:

Do you like that one?

It is irrelevant whether or not I like it. That would be the pinnacle of arrogance.
So when Sharkshooter asks KLB is he 'likes' a commandment he's what? Issuing a challenge TO KLB, throwing down the gauntlet, being robustly interrogative?

But when Sharkshooter is asked if he, too, 'likes' the very same scripture he's being tempted into arrogance, which of course he's much too virtuous to give in to!

If it's irrelevant for Sharkshooter to like it, why is he asking KLB if he likes it? I'm soooo confused [Confused] !

There is also the implication that if KLB were to say he didn't like that scripture he would be wrong not to; whereas whether or not SS likes it is just 'irrelevant'. Is that called 'having your cake and eating it? [Biased] '

quote:
quote:
But how does one defer to an outside authority (i.e. the Church) when the outside authority is deferring to the bible? And the bible was written by man?

Which academia was that, MSG? Surely you know that most bible scholars around the world don't subscribe to that view? Or rather that it WAS written by men, who were inspired by God.
Well I don't know about "most" academia or "least" academia. I know what academia I've read, and talked to, and they are rather persuasive. If you need names [Smile] , start with E.P. Sanders and end with Spong with a wide range in the middle. I happen to have a friend who's a NT biblical literature professor as well.

quote:
Dear JimT

[Overused]

What worries me is the suspension of an innate (God-given) moral sense that some believers experience when they fixate on something written by a fallible human being. Some have often felt like "dashing babies against the rocks" (Psalm 137:8-9) but don't do that because they recognise their inner psychological turmoil and have enough presence of mind by grace to stay their hands. To authorise that or even to sanctify that in the name of God is, literally, demonic. They can be absolutely no compromise between God and Satan. Satan is neither God's avenging angel nor the instrument of his alleged wrath. He (Satan) is both the enemy of humankind and of God.

Why do you assume that people that "fixate on something written by a fallible human being" are more inclined to dash babies on rocks, or even suspend their innate moral sense, than say a "believer".

I know a few people that are challenged (in extreme) by the inerrent/god written view of the bible. The ones I know, in some cases are as moral or even more moral than some Christians I know. I would venture to say that one nontheist I know is also the most moral person I know.

I have observed the suspension of the innate "God-given" moral sense in believers, nontheists, and atheists alike. This, of course, is no comment on any of them, it's just an observation.

Dear MSG

I am not making such facile generalisations. Mileage varies across the board. I am, however, claiming that the mind set that justifies everything that the Bible says about God may be more inclined to fixate on something as not only a divine action but also a divine decree ... if they have suspended their moral sense or if it has been corrupted. Eschewing fundamentalism is the best way to despoil such selective justifications.

Posted by Duncs (# 5677) on :

Oh dear, this was posted by someone, but i think it's turned into chinese whispers and i havent a clue who originally said it!

- Ahh. But is this not where faith comes in? the CHristian faith in believing it to be true. If we become really pedantic, everything we "know" is based on belief. (Work with me, it is true!) [Smile]

Dear Duncs

But is not the Church not made up of men and women and did not the early Christian communities and their apostles pen the Scriptures? Deferring to the Bible is simply the Church being true to herself and what God has committed to her. The two are not alternatives.

quote:
And how does this make us different from Al-Qaida? If I was convinced God told me to do this, I hope I would have the courage to go to hell along with Huck Finn.
It's a purely hypothetical question that assumes God, the Creator of the universe, is indeed commanding you to kill someone.

As for al Qaeda, I believe that Satan and not God is inspiring them. You can believe what you want about them, it's irrelevant to the question.
quote:
Interesting assumption. Why should we obey this commandment simply because God is omnipotent?
You're mistaken about what I was saying, which is simply that God has perfectly inspired us to know that He truly commanded us to kill in this hypothetical situation. Whether you obey God or disobey Him is entirely up to you, you have free will in the matter.
quote:

So you're saying, Fr Gregory, that anything which disturbs your innate sense of right and wrong in the Bible came from Satan? And that we all have that same God-given sense, that if I read the Bible over again my innate sense of right and wrong would force me to reject the same passages, as Satanic verses?
quote:
It's not a question of whether God acts in a way which we would see as rational and moral but whether he acts in a way which is consistent with his own self-revealed character.
Well, at first it seemed he revealed Himself as One God only, nothing about a Trinity. I certainly don't see the Bible revelations of God as completely and obviously unitary at all times even in Jesus alone. I've never come across any theological system that manages to incorporate every thing he said and did in a perfectly consistent manner.
quote:
Plainly and simply: God is either irrational and capricious or he is loving and just.
My parents seemed to be both from my viewpoint as a young child, but when I grew up I finally began to understand them.
quote:
Well I don't know about "most" academia or "least" academia. I know what academia I've read, and talked to, and they are rather persuasive. If you need names , start with E.P. Sanders and end with Spong with a wide range in the middle. I happen to have a friend who's a NT biblical literature professor as well.

I've been through John Crossan, the Jesus Seminar, and I think I flipped through one of Spong's books once. I didn't find them to be convincing ... but at least you're aware there is a conservative point of view. I'm sure you've read Luke Timothy Johnson and the more middle of the road John P. Meier (A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus). A good overview of conservative Protestant thinking can be found in Lee Strobel's Case For Christ, you can pick up the names of several reputable scholars in it.

Dear Hermit

quote:
So you're saying, Fr Gregory, that anything which disturbs your innate sense of right and wrong in the Bible came from Satan? And that we all have that same God-given sense, that if I read the Bible over again my innate sense of right and wrong would force me to reject the same passages, as Satanic verses?

Nothing of the sort!

Everyone (except psychotics and sociopaths) has an innate sense of right and wrong ... the conscience ... a distinction between good and evil which is God given in the image as it were.

Most of us have no problems using this moral compass. Most of us do not go out and slaughter innocent people because they are godless. Most of us don't expect child sacrifice as a test of personal loyalty ....

.... and most of us, having this reflection of God's righteousness in us don't believe that God himself acts to the contrary.

Such consensual conscience is backed up by the theological consensus of the Church ... which in Orthodox terms is based squarely in the conviction that there is no evil in God. Any such evil would still be evil even if it could be proved to have a divine provenance.

[ 25. March 2004, 22:02: Message edited by: Father Gregory ]

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

Jesus WAS the creator, killer God of the OT. The very same person. Jesus, God's Son, God the Son, Melchizedek, stated it categorically. Before Abraham was I AM. Yahweh. YHVH. Yod Haw Veh Haw. I AM that I AM. The Lord. The Eternal. He who revealed the Father, not the other way around.

This perfect being has no pathology. And kills us ALL with the law and gives us ALL life in Himself.

He who annihilated at least two the Cities of the Plain for their cruelty to the poor will resurrect them to have an easier time in judgment than Bethsaida and Chorazin.

I can come up with any rationalization you like as to why God killed on a pretty large scale, usually regional, even although the incidents are pretty rare (probably well eclipsed by Attila the Hun, Tamburlaine, Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Mao) what they lack in frequency and other quantitative values they make up for in theological impact.

To rationalize away God the Son stepping in to history directly and in command in strange, terrifying, brutal, merciless, lethal ways is to make Him in our own deceived, naive, false self image. We're better than God eh? More liberal? Kinder? More merciful? More gracious?

He KILLS. He sent bears to butcher children who abused His prophet. He executed a man who touched the Ark of the Covenant when it wobbled in transit.

And He died that they may live forever. I risk blasphemy here by saying that I can see, in His death at our hands, His apology that it had to be so. That we're even.

The killings are all part of the unfolding of almost if not actual universal salvation - the heil(e)sgeschicht - a success rate hopefully at least better than that with the angels of 2/3rds, including of the killed. Christianity is about how WE should behave, not God, who is utterly perfect and above reproach BECAUSE He is the best possible God and the after-life is the best possible outcome.

He came as one of us to die to show us how to live - including in the use of lethal force - so that one day He will not have to kill us again. But, His killing days aren't over yet. Any more than they were after His resurrection and return to full divine power and lethal intervention. Even His FACE is lethal.

His kingdom come.

Amen, Martin.

The following verses don't seem to support Jesus as pacifist alone:

Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matt 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.
(it's the will of God that one falls to the ground).

Matt 21:18 Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered.

This next verse doesn't support the idea that God is aligned with any particular human culture, such as modern pacifist academic (or any other for that matter). In other words, let's not make God into our image:

Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.
"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

quote:

Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

This verse has nothing to do with God killing anyone, or Jesus being a "pacifist." It says that Satan can destroy body and soul.

quote:

Matt 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.
(it's the will of God that one falls to the ground).

God lets birds fall from their nest, says Jesus. Again, God is not killing people. We don't even know if the bird gets hurt.

quote:

Matt 21:18 Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered.

Jesus killed a tree, not a person, to make a point.

quote:

This next verse doesn't support the idea that God is aligned with any particular human culture, such as modern pacifist academic (or any other for that matter). In other words, let's not make God into our image:

Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.
"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Notice that the verse doesn't include anything along the lines of, "And sometimes I'll do the same things that Satan does and you won't know why."

Hermit, you need to disabuse yourself of the term "pacifist" here. Fr. Gregory's point, my point, and others' is that people have an innate, God-given moral sense, a knowledge of Good and Evil, that allows them to discern between God and Satan. Man's life as a moral creature began with the KNOWLEDGE (I'm forshadowing a response to Martin's Old Testament raving) of Good and Evil. It's the only thing I believe we should take literally from Genesis. We didn't get it from an apple via a woman tempted by a snake, but we did get knowledge of good and evil: as a race, and as individuals as we mature. As infants we have no such knowledge and are like animals in that regard. But we inherit a knowledge of good and evil, with a stubborn and persistent temptation to do evil and pretend it is good, or simply ignore what we know to be good. We can be deceived, especially temporarily, yes, and sometimes we are confused. But not totally and not permanently. When a voice whispers, "kill the innocent," it is not God." You retort that "it could be--you never know--God is an absolute sovereign with ways beyond our ken." But I say not beyond our knowledge of good and evil, the very foundation of the founding book of the OLD TESTAMENT MARTIN I HAVE READ IT.

I do not take a pacifist position. I would not fault anyone for killing someone holding a hostage with a loaded gun who says I'm gonna shoot on the count of three. When they get to two, by all means put a laser bead on their forhead and make it quick and painless.

Martin, I'll let others handle how all the killing and lethal images of God's face are in the OT if they want to go over it again. It also says that God haggled and bargained like a street vendor. Shall we say God DRIVES A HARD BARGAIN and no doubt BUYS ON SALE? That's ESS AY ELL EEE. I simply say the Old Testament shows an emergent view of God that is greatly modified by the time one gets to the Gospel of John. The revelation continues, according to the KNOWLEDGE of good and evil that we got in Genesis. That's my best Martin-speak.

quote:
Originally posted by JimT:
quote:

This verse has nothing to do with God killing anyone, or Jesus being a "pacifist." It says that Satan can destroy body and soul.

I've never heard it said that the one who can destroy body and soul is Satan before. Satan isn't anywhere portrayed as the one who destroys body and soul in hell, rather he's the one destroyed in hell. The usual view is that Jesus is refering to God - the God who casts the goats into hell etc.

What JimT said, [Overused] ... except for (see below)

Dear Alan

You are correct that this is a reference to God but the sense is that of being able ... not desirous or something that he actually does. Much of Jesus' pedagogy and exhortation has this hyperbolic aspect. I don't see many tempted Christians going round plucking out their eyes .... mercifully.

Oh I agree Fr Gregory. The comment by Jesus is addressed to people who feared what following him may entail, especially the possibility of persecution and death at the hands of the Jewish leaders. The perspective is they can only kill the body, God can destroy body and soul ... and, I'd add, conversely God can save body and soul. It's a relative power thing Jesus is outlining.

And, just because God can destroy body and soul in hell, it doesn't necessarily follow that he will do so.

quote:
It's a purely hypothetical question that assumes God, the Creator of the universe, is indeed commanding you to kill someone.

Good grief Hermit - this is precisely what we're arguing about! It wasn't purely hypothetical for Joshua, in your view and by your own admission. So if in your view God really does that kind of thing, it precisely isn't hypothetical. And if he did it once how on earth are we supposed to know he doesn't do that kind of thing any more?! Why should you suppose Josh and his pals had such existential certainty about it? They didn't know they were going to be in the Bible!

quote:
As for al Qaeda, I believe that Satan and not God is inspiring them. You can believe what you want about them, it's irrelevant to the question.
You cannot have your cake and eat it. If it is evil and wrong for one group to committ mass murder and genocide, it is also wrong for another. If Satan is inspiring al-Qaeda, how can we say it was Jesus who inspired the slaughter of the Amalekites?

quote:
Well, at first it seemed he revealed Himself as One God only, nothing about a Trinity. I certainly don't see the Bible revelations of God as completely and obviously unitary at all times even in Jesus alone. I've never come across any theological system that manages to incorporate every thing he said and did in a perfectly consistent manner.

Congratulations. You have now managed to give all the reasons for not believing in inerrancy. Problem: it doesn't seem perfectly consistent. Solution: well, that's because it isn't perfectly consistent.

quote:
My parents seemed to be both from my viewpoint as a young child, but when I grew up I finally began to understand them.
Did your parents tell you to kill people, and then tell you it was wrong to kill?

You just aren't listening - please take note of my actual argument. I am NOT arguing that God's actions are inconsistent with my own puny perception of his character. I am saying they point-blank can't possibly be committed by God as God himself reveals God to be. I have no choice in the matter if I really want to believe God reveals himself in Jesus.

JimT - I HAVE READ IT ALL TOO, MANY TIMES [Smile] And of course it is only God who can annihilate body and soul in Hell. And will, there being no eternal punishing. Emergence is a nice word isn't it? I have no problem with love triumphant emerging in sacred history as God the Son revealed a human face over His lethal one.

But to rationalize away his lethal one without ever positing it is intellectually and faithfully inadequate. Just as it would be for me not to consider God saying 'I was misquoted, misattributed'. Which He hasn't yet.

The inadequacy of OT cultures to understand why God was killing them and leading them in killing, does not deny that He killed. As Alan said, Jonah did God's will in saving Nineveh and the Assyrians and was barely, eventually reconciled to that.

YES He haggled and we didn't haggle enough. Abraham did a fantastic job over Sodom and Gomorrah - which - of course - were NOT destroyed for being gay, which they weren't any meaningful way - as did Moses over Israel: God told him to stand back while he killed the lot of them to start again through Moses who declined the offer.

May be we can avert some of the horrors of the apocalypse by negotiating a bit harder. Prophecy is contingent after all.

What is astounding about God's lethal intervention is its minimalism and restraint:

From the Flood to Sodom & Gomorrah is at least 400 years from the latter to the assassination of Onan is about the same.

In the NT He assassinated Herod Agrippa and executed Annanias & Saphira. No inconsistency in His nature there. He used Vespasian to destroy Jerusalem. He has been in full control of European history and therefore world history since. And is yet to take over completely and not by being elected or in the person of the schizophrenic old bag lady, our Holy Mother Church. But in His great wrath.

Since this post was addressed to JimT I'll let him reply Martin.

I think I can ask one more general question. Is it your approach to the Bible to read straight from the page in a matter of fact kind of way without factoring in the context and the human situation?

Yes and no.

[Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
...as did Moses over Israel: God told him to stand back while he killed the lot of them to start again through Moses who declined the offer.

From the Flood to Sodom & Gomorrah is at least 400 years from the latter to the assassination of Onan is about the same.

But since we have God given brains and senses and have used these to develop an understanding of genetics, and in that science proof beyond reasonable doubt that the flood was a myth, might we not want to consider the possibility that these stories are not to be taken literally, have a lot to do with the times in which they were written and the purposes of their authors, and are not a sound basis for concluding that God is a ruthless and indescriminate killer?

And are we really supposed to imagine that God desired the deaths of every person who is killed in a hurricane, tornado, tsunami, volcano or earthquake?

Really?

What Jerry said.

On the One Who Can Destroy Body and Soul: OK, I'm a little rusty on that passage, so "what Alan said."

Which brings me back to Martin and "God kills," as it says in his Holy Word. Going with what Jerry said, we are all forced to grant that God does not prevent killing or no one would be killed. Killing is a fact. That God kills is an opinion. Yes, it is one expressed by ancient Jewish writers, now frozen in black ink on exceptionally thin white paper, but those things that you're li'ble to read in the Bible they might nowt be exactly and literally, as written, the Eternal Strewth (God's Truth or 'sTruth or Strewth if I remember my Shakespeare).

I like you Martin.

You're a nut and proud of it. I like that in a nut.

quote:
Originally posted by JimT:
I like you Martin.

You're a nut and proud of it. I like that in a nut.

Also, he's aware of it. There's nothing worse than not acknowledging it. Martin may be a hardcore fundy but he knows it and is very humble. At least he's consistent, he takes the commands in the Bible to be humble and loving as seriously as all the genocide stuff. All too rare. [Axe murder]

Don't listen to this, Martin, I don't want your head to get big.

quote:

And are we really supposed to imagine that God desired the deaths of every person who is killed in a hurricane, tornado, tsunami, volcano or earthquake?

Really?

I couldn't resist starting with this one. Of course He desired it, indirectly. Why else would this world be designed by God with death in it? It would get a bit crowded if no one died, wouldn't it?

quote:

It helps to see the parallel passage in Luk 12:4 And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
Luk 12:5 But I will warn you of whom you shall fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yea, I say to you, fear Him.

quote:
God lets birds fall from their nest, says Jesus. Again, God is not killing people. We don't even know if the bird gets hurt.

Sigh.
quote:
Jesus killed a tree, not a person, to make a point.

Jesus is capable of killing, and of course the fig tree is probably symbolic of a group of people, not that he was actually pissed off at a tree for not bearing fruit out of season.
quote:
Notice that the verse doesn't include anything along the lines of, "And sometimes I'll do the same things that Satan does and you won't know why."

Hermit, you need to disabuse yourself of the term "pacifist" here. Fr. Gregory's point, my point, and others' is that people have an innate, God-given moral sense, a knowledge of Good and Evil, that allows them to discern between God and Satan.

You're concentrating on "pacifist" more than I wanted, what I was getting at is your notions, your interpretations are heavily colored by the CULTURE you are in. I've never known an African or Asian to be concerned about a biblical genocide - the objections they have to Christianity are largely based on why God would have thrown their ancestors into hell (an idea some fundamentalist preachers but not all, still have).

Our conscience simply isn't that specific, a biological revulsion to death. Lots of cultures admire lethal violence.
quote:
It also says that God haggled and bargained like a street vendor.
God presumably created us to have a relationship.
quote:
When a voice whispers, "kill the innocent," it is not God." You retort that "it could be--you never know--God is an absolute sovereign with ways beyond our ken."
It would have to be much, much more than a voice in one's head.
quote:
The usual view is that Jesus is refering to God - the God who casts the goats into hell etc.

Lol ... I've never heard of God casting goats into hell, but there are some three words translated as hell that shouldn't always be. Sheol, gehenna, hades iirc. I think Sheol can refer simply to underground.
quote:
Much of Jesus' pedagogy and exhortation has this hyperbolic aspect. I don't see many tempted Christians going round plucking out their eyes .... mercifully.

good point, that's why we have the careful interpretation of Church Fathers down through the millenia .... as far as I know the traditional branches of the Church all agree with me that God can and does kill people. Even if the Amalekite slaughter was a story akin to the parables of Jesus, the main point is that it doesn't contradict what we know about God - the rules against killing people are for us, not for God who kills everyone who's not murdered.
quote:
Good grief Hermit - this is precisely what we're arguing about! It wasn't purely hypothetical for Joshua, in your view and by your own admission. So if in your view God really does that kind of thing, it precisely isn't hypothetical. And if he did it once how on earth are we supposed to know he doesn't do that kind of thing any more?!
As I keep saying, God kills all the time ... even if He doesn't directly do it, he created this world where everything dies. I personally hope God will decide when my time is up.
quote:
Why should you suppose Josh and his pals had such existential certainty about it? They didn't know they were going to be in the Bible!

I don't know how God made them know, I don't even know for certain that it literally happened. I just know it could have happened without contradicting anything revealed by Jesus. Obedience to God comes first ... if God's not commanding you to do something then you can apply the Church's teachings to your situation.
quote:
You cannot have your cake and eat it. If it is evil and wrong for one group to committ mass murder and genocide, it is also wrong for another. If Satan is inspiring al-Qaeda, how can we say it was Jesus who inspired the slaughter of the Amalekites?

It's not murder if God commands it. We can say it was God who inspired the Amalekite genocide because we believe God inspired the Bible which contains the account, and because that's consistent with Church teachings (I don't actually know whether there is consensus in the Catholic Church about whether it literally happened).
quote:
Congratulations. You have now managed to give all the reasons for not believing in inerrancy.
I'm a Catholic, not a fundamentalist. While the Church teaches that all Scripture is inspired by God, it doesn't teach that everything is necessarily historical or to be literally understood.
quote:
Did your parents tell you to kill people, and then tell you it was wrong to kill?

No, and neither has God. But if He did, and I had complete confidence it was God, I would. However that would take extraordinary proof, beyond my present comprehension - even if there were a series of miracles witnessed by many others, I would tend to believe it was a trick of Satan.
quote:
I like you Martin. You're a nut and proud of it. I like that in a nut.

I realize this was said in jest, but I'd be happier if we don't call each other names even affectionately because this is one of those hot issues that can deteriorate quickly.

D'oh, I just realized what Alan was talking about with the goats. Sometimes I'm a bit too literal! [Hot and Hormonal]

Hah! Look, how'm I s'posed to get over myself now? Eh? Call yourself Christians? Bastards. And Jerry - you are of course absolutely right: there is scant evidence if any for the Flood. The controversially attributed counter-current in the Bosphorous (Oxford!) in to the Black Sea. Marine foraminifera in North American soils. Eight feet of clay by a single act of sedimentation in static water in Ur. The Old Baylonian Epic of Gilagamesh, the Chinese Bamboo Annals in which Nu-weh is a survivor, of 8, of a world flood. Tantalizing stuff. The Flood does exercise me scientifically to say the least.

If it was global and covered Everest, God has covered His tracks to an inordinate degree. To me biodiversity is the greates challenge to that. If it covered Ararat that's nearly as bad. Half way up and one is rationalizing away.

Jonah, however, is far easier to swallow as he was the prophesied Assyrian redeemer. As is the Exodus, which fits with radical but valid Egyptology. As per the archaeologist David somebody or other Rorvak or summat.

Genesis is a phenomenal mixture of genres with many editors and contributors and indeed open to interpretation, but apart from the hard core Evangelical-Fundy submission reflex I have, there is also the legal authority of the geneologies, if one chooses to view them that way. Which I find impossible not to.

Your genuine praise makes me feel a little like that mad arsonist psycho in Steven King's magnificent The Stand. I'm not sure why ...

Hermit, I really do respect your point of view and understand that your underlying motivation is a perfectly normal, healthy, and admirable dedication to righteousness. The crack at Martin was purely playful and not a swipe at him or you or anyone else: he simply seems to like comments like that. I've heard him accept them from others and I'd never offerred him one before. To tell you the truth I was hoping to make Pyx_e chuckle because he once postulated a puppet fight between me and Martin PC in Heaven. Pretty funny.

To return to a serious and respectful vein, you seem to have conceded that if we cannot prove that God actually kills, we must however say that if he is a person-like, choice-making consciousness with unlimited power then at the very least we must grant that he sanctions killing because killing in fact does happen. I grant this. Now I must deal with the philosophical consequences. What to do? If I take your approach, I say that killing exists for a greater good than I can comprehend. Where does this lead? It leads exactly where you say. It leads to the possibility that I might be asked to kill without knowing why. Now I feel that I must go on. The premise has led me to somthing of an absurdity, which you more or less conceded: there is no way to imagine how to evaulate whether or not this was happening. More frightening, the premise opens up that I might never be able to tell Good from Evil: I cannot know it in my heart, and I cannot ask others because they are fallible and finite as I am. I cannot trust Man; I cannot trust myself; I can trust God, but he has asked me to commit atrocity. Or has he? Is it Satan posing as God? I will never know. I want absolutes, as you do hermit. I don't want this loose end.

So I go with God as something non-personal. In my world there is not a God "presiding" over creation, "sanctioning" killing. I don't know how others get around it exactly. It leaves me without an absolute in the sense that I can't look up the answer somewhere, but really you are without an absolute as well: you have imagined a possibility without a guaranteed way to evaluate it. As you said you would have no choice but to look to the ambiguous and fallible opinions of saints, Church fathers, and the Body of Christ surrounding you if you were to receive your hypothetical command. Eventually, faith in the Knowledge of Good and Evil says that you should come to an absolute, unshakable, and correct opinion. I say it will come from the God in and around you, not from the Old Testament figure with fiery eyes and hair like smoke.

In myself sanctioning the killing of a hostage-taker, I am in a sense with you: I would shoot to kill under the circumstance I said and would feel that I was "doing the will of God" but would never describe it in those terms. I would say instead that my moral choice was clear, that I had to kill, even though with all my heart I wished that I could have saved the hostage-taker and healed whatever it was that was wrong with them.

Peace my friend.

Dear Hermit

We have a real impasse here. Orthodoxy teaches that God is NEVER the author of death. Death is not natural however crowded you think the world could get. Satan is not God's instrument toward the fulfilment of his purpose in anything. In short there is no moral darkness in God. "Behold I am become death the destroyer of worlds" is an accolade that falls to the fallen one, never the Risen One ... who has destroyed the long corrupting reign of death by his holy resurrection. Mindful of Pascha coming I can do nothing other than cleave to God who can only raise the dead ... not both kill and bury.

Truly it is when I contribute to threads like these that I realise just how irreconcileable Orthodoxy and mainline western Christianity really is ... both Roman Catholic and Protestant. I just give thanks for those western Christians who smell something dank and festering under the floorboards and who are inclined to something better.

Not pre-empting the good (and much maligned, by me, for which I'm still cut to the quick) Hermit's reply, but damn JimT, that's beautiful. And no offence taken, no way.

Iron to iron here. As in as a man's countenance is to his friend, as it sez somewhere in't'good book.

There's absolutely no way God would oe COULD command me to kill. He will do His own killing. That would be completely alien to NT normalcy and Christianity. If, God forbid, I should kill it would be on my own head, in extreme self or other defence. Any other circumstance would be murder.

quote:
quote:

Really?

I couldn't resist starting with this one. Of course He desired it, indirectly. Why else would this world be designed by God with death in it? It would get a bit crowded if no one died, wouldn't it?

Oh, right. And there I was thinking that death wasn't part of the original design, but only came in with sin in the garden. I read that somewhere, but perhaps I was not interpreting that bit the right way?

But say you were right and death was a feature, not a bug--why not specify that everyone lives in rude good health untill a certain age, then has an angelic encounter with the message "Your time to come home is in three weeks at sunset, mortal." The soon-to-depart get to say goodbye to the people and places that have become dear to them and then after a little ceremony with their loved ones and church, or whatever, peacefully expire with a look of peace and contentment on their faces...

Why Bam? Why Krakatoa? Keeping down the surplus population is really not a very plausible answer.

[ 26. March 2004, 19:03: Message edited by: Jerry Boam ]

Posted by Ley Druid (# 3246) on :

quote:
Dear Hermit

We have a real impasse here. Orthodoxy teaches that God is NEVER the author of death.
Truly it is when I contribute to threads like these that I realise just how irreconcileable Orthodoxy and mainline western Christianity really is ... both Roman Catholic and Protestant. I just give thanks for those western Christians who smell something dank and festering under the floorboards and who are inclined to something better.
emphasis mine.

If reconciliation depends on you, you might have a point, but in God all things are possible...
I sincerely hope you haven't lost faith.

quote:
As I keep saying, God kills all the time ... even if He doesn't directly do it, he created this world where everything dies.

I think both Catholic and Orthodox theology would admit to the obvious fact that GOD permits evil. We see all around us and read in the Bible about sin, suffering and death.
I know both Catholic and Orthodox theology affirm that GOD is NOT "killing all the time" because he made death a part of the world.
quote:
"God did not make death, and he does not delight in the death of the living. . . It was through the devil's envy that death entered the world" (Wis 1:13; 2:24). CCC 413
Look that's exactly the same verse that the Orthodox use to say exactly the same thing (note this verse may not be found in some protestant bibles) Wisdom 1:13

Saint Thomas, the Angelic Doctor, wrote "God permits evil in order to draw forth some greater good". Every killing can now be viewed through the lens of Good Friday -- the evil remains evil, but the suffering and death have been redeemed.

[ 26. March 2004, 22:32: Message edited by: Ley Druid ]

Thank you for correcting me, Ley Druid. I often mix my own beliefs into discussions, giving the false impression that these personal opinions are the teaching of the Church. In fact I've made no systematic study of Church teachings on this matter.
quote:

For shame, Father. There's plenty dank and festering in the Eastern Church as well, I need only mention sometimes lethal wars over which calendar to use, and the treatment of Jews. Not to mention refusal to forgive.
As for the theologies, they're practically identical.
quote:
It leads exactly where you say. It leads to the possibility that I might be asked to kill without knowing why. Now I feel that I must go on. The premise has led me to somthing of an absurdity, which you more or less conceded: there is no way to imagine how to evaulate whether or not this was happening. More frightening, the premise opens up that I might never be able to tell Good from Evil: I cannot know it in my heart, and I cannot ask others because they are fallible and finite as I am. I cannot trust Man; I cannot trust myself; I can trust God, but he has asked me to commit atrocity. Or has he? Is it Satan posing as God? I will never know. I want absolutes, as you do hermit. I don't want this loose end.

Under ordinary circumstances I would judge this by Church teachings, in other words I would ALWAYS assume it was Satan asking me to kill. Unless .... there were some way I can't even currently imagine, that God would make me certain it was Him ordering it.

Now I was tossing this around in my mind and making the example more extreme ... what would I do if God commanded me to rape, torture and slowly kill a child? And here I'd have to admit, God would never do such a thing, it would be impossible. So I can understand that other people here draw the line earlier, with simple killing. Nonetheless I don't think it impossible for God to have literally, historically commanded the genocide of the Amalekites (not that He necessarily did, as I'm not a fundamentalist I don't have to believe He did). I don't think that would be irreconcilable with Him as powerful, just Judge .... and not even with what he said and did as the first humble coming of the Messiah.

Obviously the Amalekites in general were ripe for judgment, with human sacrifice and numerous aggressions toward the Israelites ... it's the innocents among them that we wonder about, why insist they be killed rather than adopted. I'll have to think more about that.

quote:
So I go with God as something non-personal. In my world there is not a God "presiding" over creation,
But I don't have that option, as easy as it would make everything. I've had specific prayers answered in non-coincidental ways.

quote:
But say you were right and death was a feature, not a bug--why not specify that everyone lives in rude good health untill a certain age, then has an angelic encounter with the message "Your time to come home is in three weeks at sunset, mortal." The soon-to-depart get to say goodbye to the people and places that have become dear to them and then after a little ceremony with their loved ones and church, or whatever, peacefully expire with a look of peace and contentment on their faces...

Sounds good to me, and I would have had easy anwers ready for you, back when I believed in reincarnation and karma. But now I'm supposed to believe in one life only to accomplish everything. All I can say now is that neither of us are the Creator, you'd expect someone infinitely more intelligent than we are to do things differently than we would.
quote:
Why Bam? Why Krakatoa? Keeping down the surplus population is really not a very plausible answer.

I'm personally not concerned with the issue of whether a death is by massive disaster or by ordinary means ... it's the amount of suffering connected with particular kinds of death that concern me. So I'm more challenged by one good individual dying slowly and painfully by cancer, than I am by a few thousand dying quickly by disaster.

I wish you well in your musings, hermit. The "problem of evil" and the implementation of "freedom in Christ" were written about very eloquently by Dostoevsky, whose works are legally offered by many Universities, for example The Brothers Karamazov, here. This thread prompted me to reread the Chapters entitled "Rebellion" and "The Grand Inquisitor." I've clipped what I think are relevant excerpts below:

quote:
Imagine that you are creating a fabric of human destiny with the object of making men happy in the end, giving them peace and rest at last, but that it was essential and inevitable to torture to death only one tiny creature -- that baby beating its breast with its fist, for instance -- and to found that edifice on its unavenged tears, would you consent to be the architect on those conditions? Tell me, and tell the truth.

"No, I wouldn't consent," said Alyosha (the priest) softly…”But there is a Being and He can forgive everything, all and for all, because He gave His innocent blood for all and everything. You have forgotten Him…”

No, I have not forgotten Him; on the contrary I've been wondering all the time how it was you did not bring Him in before, for usually all arguments on your side put Him in the foreground. Do you know, Alyosha -- don't laugh I made a poem about a year ago…

Instead of taking men's freedom from them, Thou didst make it greater than ever! Didst Thou forget that man prefers peace, and even death, to freedom of choice in the knowledge of good and evil? Nothing is more seductive for man than his freedom of conscience, but nothing is a greater cause of suffering.

In place of the rigid ancient law, man must hereafter with free heart decide for himself what is good and what is evil, having only Thy image before him as his guide. But didst Thou not know that he would at last reject even Thy image and Thy truth, if he is weighed down with the fearful burden of free choice? They will cry aloud at last that the truth is not in Thee, for they could not have been left in greater confusion and suffering than Thou hast caused, laying upon them so many cares and unanswerable problems.

The whole book should be canonized.

Dear Ley Druid

I am much encouraged by your quotation from the Catechism.

Dear JimT

I agree. The Brothers Karamazov is a wonderful book; one of the best guides to Christian theodicy that there is.

So God didn't do this?

GEN 38:7 ... Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the LORD's sight; so the LORD put him to death.

GEN 38:10 [Onan] What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also.

Orthodoxy is amazingly unorthodox.

Or this?

1 CHRON 13:9 When they came to the threshing floor of Kidon, Uzzah reached out his hand to steady the ark, because the oxen stumbled. 10 The LORD's anger burned against Uzzah, and he struck him down because he had put his hand on the ark. So he died there before God.

Or this?

2 KINGS 2:23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.

Was Samuel lying?

1SA 15:1 Samuel said ... 2 This is what the LORD Almighty says: `... attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'

God didn't do any of those things. Ancient peoples understood God to be of this character, and so this is how He appeared to them. Or rather, this is how He permitted them to understand Him.

These were bad things, but permitted for a higher purpose. The higher purpose was to make a written record that could prepare the way for His coming, and serve as a basis for an angelic understanding of His mission, which was to restore peace to the earth.

There is nothing good in these accounts. The Divine Goodness is there only symbolically - that is, goodness destroying evil.

Freddy, do you believe the laws in the Torah demanding death sentences for seemingly trivial matters (such as failure to keep the Sabbath, or a woman getting married when she wasn't a virgin) ... are from man or God? Jesus did seem to uphold their truth, even if the covenant was changed. And if they weren't from God, were any of the laws?

Jim, thank you for the "legal" excerpt, I've been meaning to read something good for me (and Dostoyevski in particular) but have only recently discovered a good used book store in a nearby village.

[ 27. March 2004, 17:24: Message edited by: hermit ]

quote:
Freddy, do you believe the laws in the Torah demanding death sentences for seemingly trivial matters (such as failure to keep the Sabbath, or a woman getting married when she wasn't a virgin) ... are from man or God? Jesus did seem to uphold their truth, even if the covenant was changed.

Everything in the Bible is from God. The difference is that it is given in accommodation to the people. Those laws in the Torah are literally totally wrong. It would be wrong to obey them, just as it is basically wrong to make animal sacrifices. It would have been wrong for Abraham to slay his son. This was a dark time in the history of humanity and people behaved harshly and cruelly.

In ancient times, however, people had a great reverance for symbolic actions. Animal sacrifices were therefore able to symbolize something sacred, even though in themselves they were disgusting.

So these trivial laws were simply symbolic. They were harsh and cruel because the people were harsh and cruel, but the symbolism could still be heavenly despite this.

Swedenborgianism attributes very deep meaning to these things. The rituals and laws, and their written accounts in the Old Testament, literally served as a basis for the connection of heaven and earth in the time before the Advent.

If it had been possible for anyone to receive the actual truth in that time, and for there to be true worship without the negative elements that are present in many Old Testament stories, this would have happened. However, if this had been possible there also would have been no need for the Incarnation. It happened only because of the sad state of the world.

So it is no surpise to me that the literal Old Testament contains many peculiar and even wicked things. I accept them, however, as metaphors symbolizing heavenly and spiritual things. If interpretted through the lens of the New Testament, however, I think that they can be just fine.

[ 27. March 2004, 17:42: Message edited by: Freddy ]

Freddy has it! [Overused]

I have a little theory about the supposedly divinely commanded slaughter of Isaac (Genesis 22) .... so indulge me.

NEVER did the Jews practice child sacrifice, (leastways those that didn't apostasise ... Micah 6:7). It seems a little strange, therefore, (to say the least) that the archetypal believer, Abraham, should be considered praiseworthy for an obedience that would have him slaughter his son by divine decree.

It's no use having God say:- "Only testing!" That's a bit like nuclear deterrence being play acting. Those actions for which we prepare, if credible, must be capable of being followed through. So do we have not only God, the pathological killer but also God the culler of children?

It's all in the context.

When someone experiences a paradigm shift in belief ... conversion, enlightenment, what you will ... it is rare to find in such a person, no matter how righteous, an instantaneous and comprehensive purging of old ways of thinking toward the new.

Abraham came out of a pagan culture where child sacrifice was practised. The most perfect offering, as we know, had to be the most costly personally. The measure of obedience was one's own blood. What more "natural" for Abraham to offer the One True God the very child of promise, blood of his blood, bone of his bone. That for which he yearned most he felt compelled to surrender. The requirements of this just and holy God always take precedence. But, was this truly the voice of God or that which he heard, angelically mediated, as he raised the knife:- "Do not lay your hand on the lad or do anything to him; for now I know you fear God." God condescends to Abraham's imperfect understanding but honours the radical obedience. For all that, though, the understanding was imperfect. God does not bay for human blood. The substitute ram indicates the name of the place GOD-will-provide.

Skip 1700 years or so. God provided again. This time himself in the sacrifice of Christ. He willingly provided himself. He did not bay for Jesus' blood nor did the Christ placate the Molochian bloodlust of the Father, (Anselm?) This is a demonic reversion. No, God willingly offered HIMSELF for our sakes. Truly this is the wonder of the Incarnation. We now have no excuse. Unlike dogs we do not return to our vomit. The delusion of idols and the former ignorance have passed away.

GOD IS LOVE.
GOD IS LOVE.
GOD IS LOVE.

GOD IS LOVE.
GOD IS LOVE.
GOD IS LOVE.

GOD IS LOVE.
GOD IS LOVE.
GOD IS LOVE.

[ 27. March 2004, 18:52: Message edited by: Father Gregory ]

Posted by Faithful Sheepdog* (# 2305) on :

No-one seems to have mentioned the Christian Thinktank that is referenced in the Ship's links. This resource has several full length heavyweight articles on the subject of this thread.

Here is one and here is another. There may well be a few others, since I haven't done an extensive search.

Neil

Thank you Fr. Gregory! I think that you are completely right about this.

Maybe I belong in the Orthodox church. Or maybe you are half Swedenborgian! [Cool]

The Christian Think Tank is AWESOME. I used to correspond with Glen Miller it's owner. What a guy.

I bow to the loving disposition of Father Gregory, the Ship's Orthodox community on this matter and to those faithful liberal Christians on other matters, like Arabella, Vikki, ChastMastr, Emma and others, particularly on sexual conservatism, as I have been forced to acknowledge, by my conscience, on other threads.

I do not doubt the quality of any one's faith.

And I acknowledge that my disposition tends to the Neanderthal. I find it easy to see the God of Love as a killer, I find it easy to reconcile The Son of God in His divine, dread, deadly power and in His utterly exemplary human face of sublime gentleness, kindness, forgiveness, mercy, tolerance; love and that He wears that face for us now whenever we invoke it.

I am quite prepared to be surprised, amazed in the resurrection that you are all right.

Are you if I am?

[ 28. March 2004, 10:26: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

quote:
I am quite prepared to be surprised, amazed in the resurrection that you are all right.
Are you if I am?

If I find that God really did kill all those people, and order the killing of countless more, I will lecture Him for at least half an hour on how wrong that is of Him.

I will then lay out for Him a far superior system by which He could have achieved the same results without being so mean. [Disappointed]

Ah, but will the citizens of Sodom and the Amelekites, basking in His love, be wondering what the .... you're on about?! [Smile]

And Father Gregory, I absolutely have no doubt that God had NO intention whatsoever of making Abraham sacrifice Isaac. He wouldn't have asked if He hadn't known Abraham's heart.

Dear Martin

quote:
Ah, but will the citizens of Sodom and the Amelekites, basking in His love, be wondering what the .... you're on about?!
But that's exactly what we Orthodox do believe they are doing .... except for them the Love of God is a painful burning rather than a sweet warmth. It all has to do with the disposition of the soul. Back to the River of Fire ....

Dear Freddy

One of the most delightful things I have discovered since joining the Ship and corresponding with you is just how much Swedenborgians and Orthodox share in common ... not in all things of course but in many other areas that, frankly, I never anticipated. [Axe murder]

[ 28. March 2004, 13:59: Message edited by: Father Gregory ]

This is where I get more liberal than you Father Gregory, which is saying something! Why on Earth or in Hell or Heaven's name will the Amelekites or Sodomites be suffering in the resurrection?

Haven't they suffered enough? In being what they were and in the way God destroyed them?

They will be in awe at His grace and the vast majority if not all will fall in to His Son's arms after falling at His gracious, pierced feet.

They will berate the Jews of 2000 years later for their disbelief.

Who said they would be? ... I was merely making a more general point that IF anyone suffers it is NOT because they are deprived of the Love of God but rather because they have set their faces against it.

[ 28. March 2004, 15:51: Message edited by: Father Gregory ]

You did! I didn't notice any shift from the specific to the general!

'...for them the Love of God is a painful burning rather than a sweet warmth'

Sorry Martin ... I didn't make that clear. I would NEVER presume to say who was and wasn't saved.

quote:
Originally posted by Faithful Sheepdog*:
No-one seems to have mentioned the Christian Thinktank that is referenced in the Ship's links. This resource has several full length heavyweight articles on the subject of this thread.

Here is one and here is another. There may well be a few others, since I haven't done an extensive search.

Neil

Yes, it's odd that no one commented even after you posted these - odd since they cover this matter in such depth from an inerrantist point of view, and because there's so little left to object to at the end.

I was actually intending to check these sources, but as you know Miller especially is so tediously thorough that my heart sank at the thought of spending an hour or so on one matter.

Here's just a tiny bit from the second link:
I hope it is clear by now this was not some simple 'act of territorial aggression' on the part of Ancient Israel! This was a defensive (and exceptional) military campaign. There just were not many practical options as to how to do this...

So, if the Amalekite aggression virtually required the elimination of the warrior-class, what practical options for survival remained for the women/kids?

Well, if this analysis is correct so far, we are faced clearly with the problem I pointed out earlier--the widows and fatherless kids, in the desert. This is, as pointed out above, a situation that the Amalekite warriors put their families in--NOT the Israelites per se.

So, what options would Israel might have had concerning the fatherless Amalekite family, once the warriors had been eliminated in battle?

There are ONLY four options to consider:

1. Take them back as slaves (or to be sold as slaves)

2. Take them back and turn them over to social relief programs/processes in Israel.

3. Leave them there in the desert to their fate

4. Kill them there in the desert

Option 1: Take them back as slaves (or to be sold as slaves).

This was, of course, what some other nations would have done. In fact, this is what many nations would have initiated the conflict for (see my discussion on OT Slavery for more documentation and discussion of this, and especially the horrors of being a foreign/POW female slave). The Amalekites alone would be an example of raids to produce slaves for re-sale in the slave trade....

..... Option 2: Take them back and turn them over to social relief programs/processes in Israel (or anywhere else, for that matter):

Similar problem here: there were no social relief programs/processes adequate to take care of this many dependent people. [Remember, most of these people would have been nomadic dependents (without agricultural or industrial skills) or minor children (consumers without the ability to contribute to their upkeep), at a time before the agricultural surpluses of Israel could support such a large group of resident aliens. As marauders, the Amalekites did amass some gold (1 Chr 18.11) and livestock, but God forbade the Israelite soldiers to take this with them as spoils of war (probably so Israel would not get a 'taste' of raiding other nations for booty, and become like the Amalekites).

There were no social relief, welfare, or benevolent resources ANYWHERE in the ANE, even in the "wealthiest" of nations. Even elderly care was a major issue, but not addressed by the public sector. There simply was not enough resource surplus or infrastructure available to do this:

· "In spite of the government's propaganda concern for widows and orphans, there was no systematic welfare system. The institution that dealt with the problem of young families bereft of a father and husband is called the a-r u-a, meaning 'dedicated.' Women and children were 'dedicated' by relatives who could no longer support them or by themselves, and they were employed especially in weaving and processing wool. Because we have several detailed records of such persons, we know that they usually did not live long after they had been dedicated, probably owing to the wretched conditions in which they lived and worked. ...Women weavers were exploited extensively at Lagas; their children no doubt died at a high rate: one group of 679 women had only 103 children, though other groups had more. "

quote:
Your genuine praise makes me feel a little like that mad arsonist psycho in Steven King's magnificent The Stand. I'm not sure why ...

The awesome, admirable and pathetic (in the sense of full of pathos) Traschcan Man.

I have always thought him to be an amazing picture of worship and total, if feckless, devotion to the one who rescued him from isolation and meaninglessness. Quite a model, even if he picked the wrong team...

quote:
Originally posted by Sean D:
Plainly and simply: God is either irrational and capricious or he is loving and just. He can't be both - but not because my brain can't comprehend how he could be both, but because he has revealed in Jesus Christ that he is not both. I have made my decision which I think he is not on the basis of my own fuzzy feelings but because of the God revealed on the cross.

Due to some absence, I have only just seen this, so apologies if the discussion has moved on. This statement rests on a number of assumptions:
1) I am able to define what is "just" better than the writers of the Bible
2) The God revealed at the cross is different to that revealed in Joshua - it must be because I can't understand it any other way
3) Jesus implicitly disapproved of the actions attributed to the God in the OT, but decided, for some reason known only to himself, to not point this out, and in fact use those events as models for the coming judgement.
4) That we are so conversant, in our experience, with the nature of love, that we are able to define it better than God himself.

I do not think any of those assumptions can be warranted.

[ 29. March 2004, 12:06: Message edited by: Leprechaun ]

quote:
Due to some absence, I have only just seen this, so apologies if the discussion has moved on. This statement rests on a number of assumptions:
1) I am able to define what is "just" better than the writers of the Bible
2) The God revealed at the cross is different to that revealed in Joshua - it must be because I can't understand it any other way
3) Jesus implicitly disapproved of the actions attributed to the God in the OT, but decided, for some reason known only to himself, to not point this out, and in fact use those events as models for the coming judgement.
4) That we are so conversant, in our experience, with the nature of love, that we are able to define it better than God himself.

I do not think any of those assumptions can be warranted.

1) No, because my notion of justice is defined by the Bible in which murder is wrong, life is precious and sacred and not to be harmed and that God wants all to be saved.
2) No, it is not that the God revealed is different, because clearly the God revealed in Jesus is a God of judgement and wrath against sin. But it is indeed my view as I've said that God is progressively revealed (I posted a response on the inerrancy thread about this). The God revealed more fully in Jesus really does have differences, e.g. being Trinity and accepting humanity on the basis of faith in Jesus rather than on ethnicity/circumcision etc.
3) I'm not aware that he uses the slaughter of the Amalakites thus. Neither am I aware of any reason why just because Jesus doesn't directly criticise the passage this means it's entirely and wonderfully commensurate with the God he reveals. This is an argument from silence.
4) I know very little about the nature of love, but thankfully don't need to know about it, as it is defined in the God revealed in Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 13, 1 John and the various other NT passages which discuss love describe it as self-giving, sacrificial and seeking the welfare and benefit of the other person. On these biblical definitions it seems obvious to me that the slaughter of the Amalakites is fundamentally unloving. I can also look at the passages in the NT which speak of God's saving will for the whole of humanity. If the Amalakites were so deserving of destruction, how can the Bible also say there will be members of every tribe, people, nation and tongue in heaven?

Sean [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

I was about to make those exact same replies.

The argument that God is incomprehensible, and that therefore what seems wicked and capricious to us is actually good, just doesn't work. Certainly good things might seem to us simple humans to be wicked and capricious - due to our misunderstanding. But this is not the same as saying that it is impossible for us to understand. There is always a rational explanation, waiting to be found. The trick is to find it.

quote:
Sean D wrote:
1) No, because my notion of justice is defined by the Bible in which murder is wrong, life is precious and sacred and not to be harmed and that God wants all to be saved.

No, apparently it is only defined by SOME of the Bible. There are places outside of Joshua where the Bible seems to be saying that God does not "want" (and there is a serious issue of definition of that word in the Bible) everyone to be saved (Romans 9 being the most obvious NT example). Life is indeed precious and sacred, but less precious and sacred than the glory of God himself. Or so it seems to me.

quote:

2) No, it is not that the God revealed is different, because clearly the God revealed in Jesus is a God of judgement and wrath against sin. But it is indeed my view as I've said that God is progressively revealed (I posted a response on the inerrancy thread about this). The God revealed more fully in Jesus really does have differences, e.g. being Trinity and accepting humanity on the basis of faith in Jesus rather than on ethnicity/circumcision etc.

I read your inerrancy reply. Not only do I remain unconvinced that something being revealed progressively allows us to say the previous revelation was mistaken (in fact I think it prevents us from doing so, if it is indeed progressive revelation of the same thing) to say the trinity is not revealed in the OT, and that being saved by faith is an NT innovation are two massively sweeping statements that I think most of the NT writers would disagree with. I don't think anyone is positing the thesis that God destroyed the Amalekites MERELY because of their ethnicity.
quote:

3) I'm not aware that he uses the slaughter of the Amalakites thus. Neither am I aware of any reason why just because Jesus doesn't directly criticise the passage this means it's entirely and wonderfully commensurate with the God he reveals. This is an argument from silence.

He does use Sodom and Gomorrah though. Which I would have thought raises similar questions on your view.
Even if it is an argument from silence, it is still an argument. Jesus didn't hesitate to point out people's misunderstandings of God from the OT elsewhere. It certainly seems strange to me that is (as you are suggesting) he meant to introduce such a wholesale revision of God's character he didn't bother to mention it.
quote:

I can also look at the passages in the NT which speak of God's saving will for the whole of humanity. If the Amalakites were so deserving of destruction, how can the Bible also say there will be members of every tribe, people, nation and tongue in heaven?

Do you mean this? Let me introduce you to the doctrine commonly known as grace. (Sorry needlessly sarcastic, couldn't resist) The answer is surely that no one from any of those tribes will be there because they deserve it! The Jewish people who are there won't be there because they kept the law. The British people who are there won't be there because they were good and gave to charity. All of them will only be there because of God's gracious gift of rescue to them.

There seems underlying this whole debate, to me anyway, to be a serious difference in how we see our relationship to God. As far as I can see he is creator, we are creatures, we are sinful, he is holy. Thus he has every right to deal with us has he sees fit, and the just fair way to deal with us would always be punishment. If he chooses to have mercy, that too is his prerogative. I'm very nervous of a position that begins to tell God that there are things he can and cannot do.

[Smile] [Big Grin] [Biased] [Yipee] [Snigger] [Overused] [Axe murder] [Votive]

quote:
There seems underlying this whole debate, to me anyway, to be a serious difference in how we see our relationship to God. As far as I can see he is creator, we are creatures, we are sinful, he is holy. Thus he has every right to deal with us has he sees fit, and the just fair way to deal with us would always be punishment. If he chooses to have mercy, that too is his prerogative. I'm very nervous of a position that begins to tell God that there are things he can and cannot do.

Yes, this underlying difference in how we see our relationship to God is a problem.

As I see it, God is love, and created the human race because the entire nature of love is to love something outside of itself. Love also seeks to be joined freely with what is loved, and desires to make the object of that love happy. This is what creation is all about.

God's relationship with the human race is therefore defined by these purposes - a definition created not by us but by Him. All His actions must be consistent with this because this is what He is. The history, foibles, and trials of the human race are explained simply by the interaction between God's love and human freedom.

When God is described in the Old Testament in ways that make Him appear different than this, it is because this is how goodness appears from the point of view of sin - which we are free to have. This is also how justice appears when it is reduced to its simplest terms, which is all we can see in our simplicity. The way that it appears is not necessarily the way that it actually is. Nevertheless, an explanation is possible that resolves the apparent contradictions.

The complex and complete picture of God that emerges from the Old and New Testaments taken as a whole is one of a God of love, who is merciful and gracious, and yet who defeats sin and evil. He is supremely intelligent, rational, just and fair.

Inconsistency, irrationality, and unmercifulness are not usually depicted as attributes of God - but they do crop up, or appear to crop up, in various places in the Bible. To my mind, this just means that they need to be explained - and I am confident that logical, intelligent, and consistent explanations are possible for each one, explanations harmonizing them with the greater picture.

Well this is at risk of going well off course. But as I understand "God is love" it describes his perfect relationship of love within the Godhead itself. I struggle with the idea of God's "need" to create us to have someone to love, because it implies there is something lacking in God's own perfect trinitarian relationship. Which I don't think there is. I do think the old Westminster Confession got it right, that ultimately we are created for God's glory, rather than for his company.

quote:

The complex and complete picture of God that emerges from the Old and New Testaments taken as a whole is one of a God of love, who is merciful and gracious, and yet who defeats sin and evil. He is supremely intelligent, rational, just and fair.

Inconsistency, irrationality, and unmercifulness are not usually depicted as attributes of God - but they do crop up, or appear to crop up, in various places in the Bible. To my mind, this just means that they need to be explained - and I am confident that logical, intelligent, and consistent explanations are possible for each one, explanations harmonizing them with the greater picture.

You see, what I see this doing is seeking to define these things (rationality, mercy, consistency) from outside the schema that God reveals about himself. Maybe there's an issue here as well about how we see ourselves , but I don't think we are capable of defining the love that God is outside of seeing what he is. He is the definition of love, rather than us coming with such a definition and ruling out what does not fit our definition as "not God". We certainly, in our sinfulness, cannot outdefine God from love. Rather we must accept what he says is loving and merciful and just.
Martin, if that line of smilies was for me then thank you, if not then...er...it was very pretty.

[ 29. March 2004, 14:25: Message edited by: Leprechaun ]

You're welcome! Freddy too. In fact as they say in Ireland, God bless all here.

quote:
You see, what I see this doing is seeking to define these things (rationality, mercy, consistency) from outside the schema that God reveals about himself. Maybe there's an issue here as well about how we see ourselves , but I don't think we are capable of defining the love that God is outside of seeing what he is. He is the definition of love, rather than us coming with such a definition and ruling out what does not fit our definition as "not God". We certainly, in our sinfulness, cannot outdefine God from love. Rather we must accept what he says is loving and merciful and just.

I can certainly understand this, and I applaud this point of view. I agree that it is God, not we, who defines, and that whatever He says is loving, merciful and just - quite apart from our inadequate human definitions.

Ironically, however, your explanation does constitute an effort to explain and rationalize. To my mind this defeats your assertion that this isn't necessary.

In the last analysis, I don't think that it is possible for the revealed God to be God without being consistent with the revealed God. The whole concept of revelation throws a wrench, to my mind, into the assertion that God needs no explanation.

Still, I love the starting point that it is God, not we, who does the defining.

Hi Lep

I'm going to try and make this a fairly brief reply as I'm running out of steam and I think we could only now debate this particular issue fully if it turned into a full-blown inerrancy debate and that's down in the land of equines pending the glue factory for a reason...

quote:
No, apparently it is only defined by SOME of the Bible.
See point about it being the whole of Scripture which reveals God. I'm not aware of any Bible verse which tells us that "every text of Scripture reveals God equally as much as every other text". This is therefore a rational, extra-biblical deduction every bit as much as my deductions are. You just think it's a better deduction. That's what inerrancy debates always boil down to and why they're so irresolvable.

quote:
There are places outside of Joshua where the Bible seems to be saying that God does not "want" (and there is a serious issue of definition of that word in the Bible) everyone to be saved (Romans 9 being the most obvious NT example). Life is indeed precious and sacred, but less precious and sacred than the glory of God himself. Or so it seems to me.

Tiny bit of a false dichotomy? God's glory is shown in the love he shows for humanity in not condemning us all. I am not a Calvinist and that's a whole other biblical question. This is an assumption of mine but I believe it's a biblical one.

quote:
He does use Sodom and Gomorrah though. Which I would have thought raises similar questions on your view.
Not really - a pretty different case. According to that text, as has been mentioned, everyone in that city was guilty of attempted rape. The specific reason for the destruction of the Amalakites given by the text is that their ancestors were mean to the people of Israel.

quote:
Even if it is an argument from silence, it is still an argument. Jesus didn't hesitate to point out people's misunderstandings of God from the OT elsewhere. It certainly seems strange to me that is (as you are suggesting) he meant to introduce such a wholesale revision of God's character he didn't bother to mention it.

Not quite what I was getting at. It's not that Jesus intended necessarily to do this, but that he reveals a God whose response to sin is to bear it upon himself and to redeem the sinful - not to punish. He can punish and he has every right to punish. But he chooses not to. I'm not arguing for a wholesale revision of the OT picture of God. I am saying that sometimes the OT writers got it wrong, in the same way that sometimes they made grammatical mistakes, sometimes they made historical mistakes etc etc - sometimes they made theological mistakes too.

quote:
Do you mean this? Let me introduce you to the doctrine commonly known as grace. (Sorry needlessly sarcastic, couldn't resist) The answer is surely that no one from any of those tribes will be there because they deserve it!

OK sorry that was a rubbish argument!

quote:
There seems underlying this whole debate, to me anyway, to be a serious difference in how we see our relationship to God.
It's nothing to do with that. I believe in the sovereignty of God, the universal sinfulness of humanity, the righteous wrath of God against sin and therefore sinners, the judgement of death and eternal separation of God upon us all and the justice of punishing us. I am saved by grace alone. I contribute nothing to my relationship to God. It is all his love and gracious gift and I love him desperately for it.

The real difference between us is which logical, rational deduction do we make. Very crudely, yours is "The Bible is inspired by God therefore God said it so it can contain no errors." Mine is "The Bible is inspired by God but there's no biblical reason to suppose that this should mean it is error-free. Two things which are totally self-contradictory cannot both be true, even if the Bible says them both."

Sean

Yup, getting all of this, and indeed I agree there is a difference here in our views of the Bible. The "you" in my previous comment was wider than just you Sean, and as Freddy says it does underly some of the discussion.
The Sodom and Gomorrah thing, I think realistically does cause a bit of a problem for your view. A more common answer (put forward on this thread, with which I disagree) is that Jesus didn't need it to be a real event to be using it as an example.
It is just as possible that the Amalekites were man woman and child as guilty of rebellion against God as the people in those cities (and in fact, I think, because of original sin, there should be a de facto assumption they were.)

I'm not sure we need to throw our whole hands up in horror at the deduction issue. There are good and bad deductions. There are deductions that seem plausible and are nevertheless wrong, and that are implausible, but turn out to be right. Try the latter with any Agatha Christie book - the least likely person is always the murderer!
The deductions we have come to looking at the text are indeed different, and both indeed have grounding, but the truth is out there...

No one is saying that reason is not involved, rather that there is a dialectic between reason and text in which text (IMO) must always be given ultimate authority. Our logic too is fallen.

Anyhoo, your probably right that this is getting exhausted - thanks for the chat. Useful. Interesting. [Yipee]

quote:
No one is saying that reason is not involved, rather that there is a dialectic between reason and text in which text (IMO) must always be given ultimate authority. Our logic too is fallen.

I agree with this. It simply seems to me to be much more of a logical stretch from "The Bible is inspired" to "The Bible contains no errors" than it is from "Two things which are mutually contradictory cannot both be true" to "The Bible therefore contains errors and it never said it didn't anyway". The problem I have therefore with inerrancy arguments is that they are too heavily deduced, whereas I take the words of Scripture much more at face value, believe it or not. For example, when the Bible contradicts itself, I assume each biblical writer had a reason for saying what he or she said - rather than twisting one or both texts to fit each other, as I used to have to do when I believed in inerrancy. I ended up being unfaithful to the text and refusing to allow it to speak for itself.

So, I also have a dialectic of text and reason - and I also put the text as my supreme authority. But I let the facts of the text (i.e. it contains mistakes) as well as the statements of the text (that it is inspired) guide my reasoning.

Yup. Completely.
I know you weren't implying this, but my irk is with the view that says - because you use reason to make judgement about the Bible, you don't believe in the authority of the Bible more than anyone else. So why not just admit it is all to do with reason and nothing to do with the authority of the text?

Which is obviously just bootstrapping something to something else to try and make the person you disagree with look stupid. And it does my head in.

The (inerrancy) question remains this - can the text remain authoritative over my reason, if I use my reason to decide parts of the text are mistaken? My view is no, yours is yes. That's the bottom line I think.

quote:
The (inerrancy) question remains this - can the text remain authoritative over my reason, if I use my reason to decide parts of the text are mistaken? My view is no, yours is yes. That's the bottom line I think.

It's not the bottom line. Reason is used not to decide that parts of the text are mistaken, but to harmonize the apparently contradictory aspects of divine revelation.

It is true that this means that it is mistaken in one sense to say that God killed the Canaanites or ordered their death. In another sense, however, this killing merely describes the truth that God is opposed to wickedness and that wickedness is destroyed in His presence. It is therefore perfectly true if understood spiritually and in context.

This isn't reason having authority over the text. It is reason collating apparently contradictory aspects of revelation, so that all of dividne revelation has authority.

[ 31. March 2004, 16:52: Message edited by: Freddy ]

© Ship of Fools 2016