Thread: Purgatory: BNP make a good point? Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001060

Posted by Nightlamp (# 266) on :

From the BNP web site . The BNP in reponse to a letter from the 'Holy men of Manchester' telling people not to vote BNP have said

quote:
There is no greater hypocrisy than remaining silent about the sins of your own religion whilst indulging in the petty politics of attacking parties such as the BNP that have no history of organising or inciting violence. More people have been murdered by religious bigots than any other kind in history.The moral high ground that these Holy men pontificate from is built upon a graveyard hiding the historical crimes of their blood soaked religions.
and

quote:
The BNP has been a political party only since 1982. The party has NEVER been involved in any political violence - unlike Sinn Fein and the I.R.A who take regular lunches with Tony Blair and have offices in the House of Commons and are to a considerable degree afforded protection by the catholic church.
and
quote:

We are dedicated to the democratic political process and public accountability - whilst each of these religions are merely fascistic structures based on enslaving their adherents and ensuring their own increased power. They are nothing more than fascists in their religious robes and frocks!

I think the BNP may have a good point it worries me.

[ 08. January 2006, 21:57: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posted by Peppone (# 3855) on :

Well, breathe easier. What they say about never being involved in political violence- that's a straight out lie.

I'll admit they occasionally have a mildly interesting way of trolling on their own website. All that shite about the church being a fascist organization.

Nah, f**k 'em. Death to the BNP.

Posted by lapsed heathen (# 4403) on :

The best lies have a grain of truth. Whatever about the faults of the BNP critics, the critiscim is still valid.

Posted by Fr. Gregory (# 310) on :

Nah. It's just anti-clericalism ... the hyper-Protestant vice. The BNP embrace any prejudice if it promotes their cause. Maybe they have read the Da Vinci Code too much. You can't sideline your own vice by highlighting someone else's.

I think they are referring to me (among many). I do hope so. I am quite chuffed! This is what I wrote ...

quote:
I am one of the speakers at the launch on 15 January representing a Christian viewpoint. The BNP has tried to rebrand itself as a viable opposition party. Its policies remain as extreme right wing and divisive as they ever have been. As far as asylum seekers are concerned ... imagine there is someone with a gun held to your head because, as a religious minority, you are no longer welcome in your village. You flee for the safety of your family. You come to this country and you are told that you have nothing to fear because "X" is a safe country. You are now in another country but extremely vulnerable still and subject to racial harrassment locally. Manchester has a proud tradition of independent thought and dissent. Historically it has stood by the poor and oppressed. Those of us who are working for racial harmony and justice hope to be numbered in that tradition. We are confident in the goodness and good sense of the people of this great city. We are standing up, being counted ... and we ain't going away.
Fr. Gregory Hallam, Levenshulme, Manchester
09/01/04 at 17:03

as a comment on this article ...

Corrie Stars back Campaign Against BNP

amongst these other comments ...

Comments.

I think this just about says it all ...

quote:
The BNP are getting my vote next June. They speak out for the majority of white people in this country.
Dave, Manchester
08/01/04 at 21:36

For more information about MAR (Manchester Against Racism) go here ...

Manchester Against Racism

Posted by Nightlamp (# 266) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:

I think they are referring to me (among many).

I think they are referring to the letter quoted on their website.

Well, they start by claiming that the church is siloent on the issue of our past sins. That's not true. Then they contrast this supposed fascistic hypocrisy with their own umblemished record of peaceful community building, democratic engagement and full accountability, when in fact they are an organization that has consistently used street violence in the pursuit of political goals, are demonstrably anti-democratic, and have never told the truth about a) their fascist ideology and b) their contemptible record of law breaking.

They've parroted what might, in the mouth of a real person, be at least some grounds for debate; but it's not criticism I'll accept from that pack of thugs.

Posted by nicolemrw (# 28) on :

only a party since 1982? that is rather odd. i was watching a dvd of original "are you being served?" episodes last night (one of the funniest tv shows ever made imho), and caught a humerous reference to "the bnp", which from context certainly seemed to be refering to the british national party. "are you being served?" was made in the middle 70s. was there a precursor of the organization that existed before, but wasn't technically a party? and if so, does their claim to have never taken part in violence still hold good?

Wow Peppone! Spot on. Fantastic. [Overused] The BNP is utterly, utterly despicable. They are trying again to build on fear ... as are so many nowadays. Their pretty little persecution complex is laughable. Don't they understand the political process? Churchill said that the price of freedom was eternal vigilance. Wake up UK. The fascists are back. They may have shiny new clothes but the sepulchral stench is within the white facade, as it always has been.

... sorry for the double post ...

... and of course they know sod all about Christianity as they seem to think that "Catholic" and "Christian" are alternative designations and they think that we should atone for our own sins. Repent certainly, not atone. Anyway I digress ...

[ 10. January 2004, 14:52: Message edited by: Fr. Gregory ]

Posted by Genie (# 3282) on :

I think it may be worse than that. I was talking to a BNP member on a political newsgroup recently about the context of asylum seekers, and she mentioned that she was a Christian because "it is part of the traditional culture of the British Isles and it has served us well". Once I'd finished vomiting I wrote back questioning whether she really meant that and that she should be ashamed of herself for claiming to follow a religion whilst trampling wholesale over virtually all of it's teachings about loving your neighbour and not oppressing the alien. Her only response was to quote that passage where Jesus says he comes only to the lost sheep of Israel and to call me a piece of leftist filth.

I don't think it's merely them ignorant of and opposed to Christianity. I think there is a major misunderstanding of Christianity that leads them to believe that the Church should be on their side which is why they are angry and disappointed that the Church rightly opposes them. What makes me sad is that there is a historical shred of truth in the actions of some Churches throughout the years in perpetuating the concept that church is for nice 'middle class white people'.

Posted by Amphibalus (# 5351) on :

Could I make two comments, please?

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
The BNP has been a political party only since 1982.

So the B*P have nothing whatsoever to do with - in any way, shape, or form, in any guise, or in any context, nor are descended from, nor had any connection with - the erstwhile National Front, then?

quote:
Originally posted by Genie:
Her only response was to quote that passage where Jesus says he comes only to the lost sheep of Israel...

Might this not be a discreet reference to the 'British Israelite' beliefs which so many of these extreme right-wing organizations espouse in some form or another?

Posted by Steve O (# 5258) on :

Whilst having no time for the BNP or its racist views, they have more than a "shred" of evidence to back up their views. History is indeed littered with the corpses of those sacrificed in the name of religion, but actually for the benefit of the Church/State. To "bless" a war or struggle as "Holy", as the "will of God", is to confer on it the highest accolade, and has been done many times to further the interests of Church/State.

It is an eternally sad and depressing fact that religion and politics are twisted to conform to the greed , hatreds and selfish nature of humanity, we should expect no different, and readily admit our "Guilt" whilst still condemning the practices of others who propagate the same.

Posted by Flying_Belgian (# 3385) on :

The media have uncovered numerous instances of BNP candidates having previous convictions for violent offences, and racial crimes. In just the same way that (I believe) some Sinn Fein politicians have links with terrorist organisations, and even convictions.

The BNP have a clever habit of turning up somewhere, fermenting racial tensions and then claiming its got nothing to do with them.

And yes, the BNP was a national front offshoot.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

(I am so going to regret this...)

quote:
Originally posted by Peppone:
Well, they start by claiming that the church is siloent on the issue of our past sins. That's not true. Then they contrast this supposed fascistic hypocrisy with their own umblemished record of peaceful community building, democratic engagement and full accountability, when in fact they are an organization that has consistently used street violence in the pursuit of political goals, are demonstrably anti-democratic, and have never told the truth about a) their fascist ideology and b) their contemptible record of law breaking.

Since we're in Purg, do you have a link to back up these claims?

quote:
They've parroted what might, in the mouth of a real person, be at least some grounds for debate; but it's not criticism I'll accept from that pack of thugs.
Sorry Peppone, but I refuse to accept the implication that BNP supporters aren't "real people". Say "misguided", or just plain "wrong" if you want, but don't try to dehumanise them in order to make it easier to hate them. That's exactly what they do.

[damn speling]

[ 10. January 2004, 19:04: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

Posted by Papio (# 4201) on :

quote:
originally bleated and bullshitted by some fascists

whilst each of these religions are merely fascistic structures based on enslaving their adherents and ensuring their own increased power. They are nothing more than fascists in their religious robes and frocks!

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf (# 2252) on :

In as much as they are BNP members/ supporters they are less human than they would otherwise be. Such is the nature of sin.

On another point, interesting though this thread is, there is no point at all in arguing with fascists. Fascism is an ideology which glorifies the irrational and instinctual, which (in its more cerebal forms) defines itself in absolute opposition to the Enlightenment project. It cannot be argued with precisely because it does not establish itself by means of argument. The only way to beat fascism is to falsify it in practice, to show that it is irrelevant to the real needs of people. And the churches have consistently been at the forefront of this struggle. I recommend the Jubilee Group's excellent pamphlet about the response of local churches to the BNP's victory in the Isle of Dogs by-election.

Marvin - The BNP's beliefs are sickening, their actions are verminous, their ideaology is Fascistic, their lies about themseleves are truly moronic, their lies about everyone else are so breathtaking disgusting that they make me want to vomit. They are proud to own them.

You know, a bloke called William James said something very interesting once. He said "the line between what is me and what is mine is very hard to draw".

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
(I am so going to regret this...)

quote:
they are an organization that has consistently used street violence in the pursuit of political goals, are demonstrably anti-democratic, and have never told the truth about a) their fascist ideology and b) their contemptible record of law breaking.

Since we're in Purg, do you have a link to back up these claims?

Well, it's a bltatantly ant-BNP website, but try this

Stop the BNP

and go to "Useful Articles" then "Armed Robbers, Hooligans and Nazis- The BNP has them all." It's not an article, just a list of BNP candidates and their convictions for crimes political and otherwise, and their links to fasist and nazi organizations.

In case you you don't have time, here are some highlights:

quote:
Kevin Scott (Gateshead – High Fell)
Was convicted in 1993 for throwing a glass at a black person. Writes articles for the fascist group, the International Third Position, and regularly posts on the National Front website.

Mark Collett (Leeds – Richmond Hill)
BNP Yorkshire organiser. Claims that Adolf Hitler is his hero and that he’d prefer to live in Nazi Germany rather than today’s Britain. Formerly in the National Front. Threatened a woman with sexual violence outside a council meeting in Halifax earlier this year.

Daniel Hannam (Hull – Orchard Park and Greenwood)
Hull BNP organiser. Was sent to prison in 2000 for producing and distributing racist and antisemitic leaflets. Distributed under the BNP banner, the leaflets called for all Jews to be expelled from Britain.

James Breslin (Bradford – Great Horton)
Another Bradford BNP activist with links to the White Nationalist Party. Was photographed selling nazi newspapers alongside Tony White. Currently in jail for distributing racist material to schoolchildren, in Pudsey last year.

Now, I'll allow it could all be made up, but I don't think so. Archival research of newspapers would, I believe, corroborate my statements about the BNP.

And you were right to call me on the "real person" remark. I withdraw it and apologize to any BNP member who may have read it and felt dehumanized.

[ 11. January 2004, 00:19: Message edited by: Peppone ]

quote:
Peppone generously conceded

And you were right to call me on the "real person" remark. I withdraw it and apologize to any BNP member who may have read it and felt dehumanized.

Yeah. They are real people. They are real people who happen to be exceptionally stupid, immoral and offensive. However, they should take responsibility for their actions like any body else.

If anyone from the BNP reads my remarks on this thread and feels I ought to apologise than tough shit. I haven't said you not a person, I said that you are the lowest of the f**king low.

Posted by Duo Seraphim (# 3251) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
If anyone from the BNP reads my remarks on this thread and feels I ought to apologise than tough shit. I haven't said you not a person, I said that you are the lowest of the f**king low.

Hosting

That's out of line, Papio. The purpose of Purgatory is debate, not invective. By all means, support your views - and please bear in mind that this site is read internationally, by those without your local perspective.

Duo Seraphim
Purgatory Host

End Hosting

Then I apologise to the hosts and other ship staff, as opposed to the BNP.

[ 11. January 2004, 04:18: Message edited by: Papio ]

Posted by JimT (# 142) on :

I am an American who never heard of the BNP.

I read the link and was immediately struck that the vicious counter-attack against religion did not even attempt a response to the specific issues raised by the clergy:

quote:
...misrepresentations about asylum seekers, refugees, racism and encouragement of anti-semitism and Islamophobia...
Those were the complaints. I heard them responding with, "it's a dirty lie that we promote violence: religions are more violent than we are." Huh? The churches said nothing about violence. Of course, I was immediately suspicious that the BNP might be vulnerable on the issue of violence. But I read their FAQs regarding the specific issues the clergy raised to see if there were any grounds for concern by the clergy.

quote:
Racism: "Racism" is when you ‘hate’ another ethnic group. We don't 'hate' black people, we don't 'hate' Asians, ...all we want to do is to preserve the ethnic and cultural identity of the British people...We are against mixed-raced relationships because we believe that all species and races of life on this planet are beautiful and must be preserved. When whites take partners from other ethnic groups, a white family line that stretches back into deep pre-history is destroyed.
Uh, that sounds *kinda* racist to me.

quote:
Asylum Seekers: The United Nations states that those forced to flee persecution to claim asylum should seek refuge in the first peaceful country they come to. On this basis, generally the internationally recognised one, we will not accept those seeking asylum apart from those fleeing the countries immediately surrounding Britain, such as Holland,Iceland, France, Norway, Germany, Belgium or Ireland.
Uh, Spain is next door and they wear kilts and play bagpipes in the North. Their skin is a little dark. Germany is not next door. I am suspecting racism again, and unfairness to asylum seekers on the basis of racism.

quote:
anti-Semitism and Islamophobia: The BNP takes no particular religious position...We are, however, opposed to the growth and increased militancy of the various Asiatic religions that have been brought to this country by mass immigration.
Uh, "the various Asiatic religions" sounds like it could indeed be Islam. I'd sure suspect them on Judaism as well on the basis of their stance for cultural and racial purity.

Reading the FAQs, you get a picture of a jingoistic party whose founding principle is racism. The religious clerics have a good point. It appears to me the BNP blew them off because it has no credible defense on racism, other than they claim they do not "hate" others; they simply see others as potential diluters of British blood and culture. Racial and cultural purity is indeed at the center of their policies.

Seems like the British KKK to me. I wouldn't put a bit of credence in their attack on religion. It was simply to deflect attention away from their blatantly racist positions, which the clergy oppose.

Posted by Chapelhead (# 1143) on :

quote:
More people have been murdered by religious bigots than any other kind in history.
Didn't we determine a while back that this just isn't true. If your looking for mass murderers that Stalin was more successful than the church?

quote:
We are, however, opposed to the growth and increased militancy of the various Asiatic religions that have been brought to this country by mass immigration.
That would include Christianity, then, brought here by the Romans.

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
If your looking for mass murderers that Stalin was more successful than the church?

He was. And Hitler does pretty well in the murder league as well. The phenomenon of a fascist party accusing other organisations of being historically complicit in mass murder is beyond irony.

Certainly if the BNP take the standard fash line, they think Britain should have made a deal with Hitler and not fought World War II. They have given ideological shelter and support to Holocaust deniers. Altogether very nasty. And dangerous.

Posted by nonpropheteer (# 5053) on :

quote:

I know nothing of the BNP or British politics, and only what Fr. Gregory would refer to as "protestant lies" regarding the Catholic church. Do you have any links to support BNP's "consistant street violence" and "contempltable law breaking"?

Posted by 'Lurker' (# 1384) on :

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the BNP doesn't tend to directly involve itself in such things. Instead members of the BNP can also be members of organisations that do this sort of thing, or carry out violent actions on their own time. But violence isn't part of BNP policy, instead they paint themselves as a respectable party. It is a bit similar to the relationship between Sinn Feinn and terrorism up until a few years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf:
He was. And Hitler does pretty well in the murder league as well. The phenomenon of a fascist party accusing other organisations of being historically complicit in mass murder is beyond irony.

Certainly if the BNP take the standard fash line, they think Britain should have made a deal with Hitler and not fought World War II. They have given ideological shelter and support to Holocaust deniers. Altogether very nasty. And dangerous.

Hitler made it clear in Mein Kampf that he believed he was doing God's work. Whether he was crazy or not doesn't change the fact that his mass murdering was done out of religion.
quote:
"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."

"I had so often sung 'Deutschland u:ber Alles' and shouted 'Heil' at the top of my lungs, that it seemed to me almost a belated act of grace to be allowed to stand as a witness in the divine court of the eternal judge and proclaim the sincerity of this conviction."

"Certainly we don't have to discuss these matters with the Jews, the most modern inventors of this cultural perfume. Their whole existence is an embodied protest against the aesthetics of the Lord's image."

"The best characterization is provided by the product of this religious education, the Jew himself. His life is only of this world, and his spirit is inwardly as alien to true Christianity as his nature two thousand years previous was to the great founder of the new doctrine. Of course, the latter made no secret of his attitude toward the Jewish people, and when necessary he even took the whip to drive from the temple of the Lord this adversary of all humanity, who then as always saw in religion nothing but an instrument for his business existence. In return, Christ was nailed to the cross, while our present-day party Christians debase themselves to begging for Jewish votes at elections and later try to arrange political swindles with atheistic Jewish parties-- and this against their own nation."

I'm sure I could find several thousand links that all point to Catholic crimes over the centuries, including their support of the Nazi party and the 'fact' they helped so many Nazi war criminals escape at the end of WW II. I've even heard their link to the 9/11...

I'm not interested in what pro-BNP sites say, or what anti-BNP sites think. I want to know the "provable" truth not a bunch of crap from people who are just as bigoted [: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices] as those they claim are morally inferior.

Some of you are struggling so very hard to gloss over the sins of the Church and magnify the sins of the BNP [or whatever group you happen to be talking about at the time]. The attitude seems to be that any rumor or innuendo will do for a conviction of the BNP, but one must present irrefutable, hard boiled, cast iron, stainless steel, dyed in the wool, card carrying, Grade A, 100% truth when speaking against the Catholic church, especially if you want to accuse them of having erred in the past 30 years.

The fact is the catholic church is made up of many people from many cultures and races. The fact is that the Vatican is more of a political organization than a religious one. The fact is that any time you have an organization with political power, you will have those that are corrupt that will try to manipulate that power to their own ends, as has happened -and I'm sure is continuing to happen- in the Catholic church.

The response will be "Oh, yes, we admit the RCC has its share of problems, but they are exhaggerated by the 'enemies' of the church."

How do I know that the accusations against the church are exhaggerations? How do I know the accusations against the BNP are not?

quote:
Originally posted by nonpropheteer:
Do you have any links to support BNP's "consistant street violence" and "contempltable law breaking"?

Well, start with the link I posted above. It details the BNP's involvement in street violence and the law breaking of its members over the years.

If you mean, can I prove that it is official BNP policy to encourage street violence and break the law, then I cannot. However, the fact that it is fielding dozens of candidates who have been convicted of offences ranging from simple affray to distributing racist literature to schoolchildren (yes, illegal in the UK under our draconian public order legislation [Snore] ) confirms, for me at least, that they are a political organization which does not respect the law. I also believe that a reasonable observer may conclude that the BNP, while publicly denying it, regards street hooliganism as a campaigning tool, both as a method of suppressing opposition, and as a way of, as Mosley put it, "keeping the boys happy."

Then again, I'm biased. I'm an ideological anti-fascist. I see blackshirts under the bed every time I turn around.

quote:

I severely doubt there are any BNP members on board. If there were, I imagine we'd find out within their first three posts.

My take on the BNP position is: "we love other races, as long as they stay in their own damn countries." Not exactly all-embracing, is it?

Nightlamp's second quoted excerpt from their website:

quote:
The BNP has been a political party only since 1982. The party has NEVER been involved in any political violence - unlike Sinn Fein and the I.R.A who take regular lunches with Tony Blair and have offices in the House of Commons and are to a considerable degree afforded protection by the catholic church.
...is, I think, a good point. How 'bout we leave the BNP-bashing (OK, everyone who doesn't want to be seen as a racist has to hate them. I think we've established that) and explore at which point the political front for a terrorist organisation (Sinn Fein) can legitimately become part of the accepted establishment?

Oh, and just to be clear- I'm not in any way trying to gloss over the sins of the RC, Anglican, or any other Christian church. Our sins are many and foul. We will answer for them. The BNP are a parochial hooligan organization located in a few areas of England. They make life miserable and dangerous, in a localized way, for numbers of non-white UK citizens. Arguably, Christian churches have done much worse.

I guess wha tI'm trying to say is, when the BNP attacks the Christian churches, it's not becuase they actually believe or care what the Church has done. It is a purely tactical action designed to enhance their campaign. It's analogous to Sinn Fein/ IRA criticising the British Army for failing to adhere to correct rules of engagement- firing without a prior shouted warning, for example- when of course the IRA itself did not adhere to similar rules, and knew it. It's just a tactic.

If we want to talk about the evil we Christians have worked, let's do it: but let's not take any shit from the BNP.

NP, the Mein Kampf quotation is out of context. Hitler was a self-professed atheist. His 'God', to whom he makes periodic reference, is a kind of fascist variation on the God of Spinoza - mystified Nature, the God who is blood and soil.

Catholicism v. fascism. Yes, the Church has been complicit in horrific attrocities over the course of history. But it's raison d'etre is not inherently destructive. Therein subsists the gulf that separates the most extreme Ratzingerite from the mildest fascist. Fascism is about the glorification of the nation, perpetual war, the triumph of the will. Its only historical legacy is a pile of corpses.

[ 11. January 2004, 14:57: Message edited by: Divine Outlaw-Dwarf ]

[opening tangent]
Reading this thread, I am even more convinced that vitriolic counterattacks are a sign of trying to hide something.
[/end opening tangent]

It seems that the BNP is publicly more "segregationist" than "supremacist." That is, they officially support "separate but equal policies" like the US Democratic party did in the South after the civil war. However, the environment of separatism for minorities was found by our courts to be inherently unequal, sending messages of inferiority to the minority and superiority to the majority, so those policies were declared unconstitutional. If the "separate but equal" policies of the Democratic Party did not explicitly spawn and sanction supremacist groups prone to terror and violence, it at least created an environment that allowed them to flourish. Neither did it show any real determination to weed out its members who were outspoken supremacists.

It appears that similar is happening today across the pond, and it's sad.

Posted by Wood (# 7) on :

quote:
Hitler made it clear in Mein Kampf that he believed he was doing God's work. Whether he was crazy or not doesn't change the fact that his mass murdering was done out of religion.

Not the Christian God, mind. Rather a constructed pseudo-(neo-?)pagan idea of a "teutonic" faith. Weirdly, this doesn't actually contradict Divine Outlaw Dwarf's point. It's rather another facet of the weirdness that was Adolf Hitler.

quote:

I'm not interested in what pro-BNP sites say, or what anti-BNP sites think. I want to know the "provable" truth not a bunch of crap from people who are just as bigoted [: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices] as those they claim are morally inferior...

How do I know that the accusations against the church are exhaggerations? How do I know the accusations against the BNP are not?

Question 1: Can't help you on that point. I don't know either.

Question 2: Suffice to say that the BNP's record and reputation is a byword for bigotry and brutality, even in the mainstream of public opinion. Hell, even the Tories don't want anything to do with them.

I'll go find some news stories. Not tonight, mind, cos time is short. I'll go digging tomorrow. I don't anticipate it being particuarly hard.

[ 11. January 2004, 20:31: Message edited by: Wood ]

It's still early here, so I took a look using Google myself. Wood is right: it's easy as pie to dig up incriminating stuff on the BNP. Here's a bunch of BBC links and a thoughtful piece on the BNP's attempted makeover into a populist "segregation" party while not alienating its "supremacist" and neo-Nazi members.

Nick Griffin's conviction on inciting racial hatred tells it all for me. Issue 12 of The Rune had a cover with a white hangman’s noose accompanied by the words “What has a rope got to do with WHITE UNITY?” An editorial “called for the unification of all ‘white nationalist’ organisations into a single body with the purpose of achieving ‘final victory over those who wish to destroy us so that they can rule forever over a mass of mongrel slaves’.”

quote:
Summing up for the defence, Mr Griffin reiterated that the magazine could not be construed as inciting racial hatred, and predicted that a multi-racial jury would find him not guilty. He was wrong. The jury returned a unanimous verdict of guilty. The judge imposed a nine-month prison sentence on Mr Griffin and a six-month sentence on Mr Ballard, both sentences being suspended for two years.
That tells me all I need to know. Maybe the nasty, vicious, bigoted, closed-minded multi-racial mongrel slave jury was a little hard on poor, free-thinking, peaceful, intellectual, pure-white-with-untainted-bloodlines Mr. Griffin. Let’s grant him the freedom of speech to warn whites to avoid being turned into “mongrel slaves.” Clergy from any religion, regardless of the past history of the religion to which they belong, ought to be able to say that Griffin and his party are racist and no one should vote for them, because division and hatred are likely to result. The very fact that Griffin responded with a vicious attack on religion simply because they recommended voting against his party gives evidence that he is prone to hatred.

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

They say even a broken clock is right twice a day. Why should it be newsworthy that the BNP once in a while says something true? Unless one is seeking to advance their agenda, or advance them themselves, why would one point out that such as the BNP are right in one little case (if in fact they are)? Even the KKK will be likely right in suggesting what sheet-whitening products work best.

quote:
Originally posted by JimT:
It's still early here, so I took a look using Google myself. Wood is right: it's easy as pie to dig up incriminating stuff on the BNP. Here's a bunch of BBC links and a thoughtful piece on the BNP's attempted makeover into a populist "segregation" party while not alienating its "supremacist" and neo-Nazi members.

Nick Griffin's conviction on inciting racial hatred tells it all for me. Issue 12 of The Rune had a cover with a white hangman’s noose accompanied by the words “What has a rope got to do with WHITE UNITY?” An editorial “called for the unification of all ‘white nationalist’ organisations into a single body with the purpose of achieving ‘final victory over those who wish to destroy us so that they can rule forever over a mass of mongrel slaves’.”

quote:
Summing up for the defence, Mr Griffin reiterated that the magazine could not be construed as inciting racial hatred, and predicted that a multi-racial jury would find him not guilty. He was wrong. The jury returned a unanimous verdict of guilty. The judge imposed a nine-month prison sentence on Mr Griffin and a six-month sentence on Mr Ballard, both sentences being suspended for two years.
That tells me all I need to know. Maybe the nasty, vicious, bigoted, closed-minded multi-racial mongrel slave jury was a little hard on poor, free-thinking, peaceful, intellectual, pure-white-with-untainted-bloodlines Mr. Griffin. Let’s grant him the freedom of speech to warn whites to avoid being turned into “mongrel slaves.” Clergy from any religion, regardless of the past history of the religion to which they belong, ought to be able to say that Griffin and his party are racist and no one should vote for them, because division and hatred are likely to result. The very fact that Griffin responded with a vicious attack on religion simply because they recommended voting against his party gives evidence that he is prone to hatred.
You are taking the actions of a few and saying anyone who is a member of that goup is behaving and believes in exactly the same way. Remember our discussion about Howard Dean? I said he's a democrat so he must be a socialist dirt bag (words to that effect) and you (at least I think it was you) provided me a link to some Dean info that changed my mind and broadened my perception of the DNC...

My point is, if judging an entire group by the actions of some members of that group is unacceptable in some cases, it is unacceptable in all cases. We can either use stereo-types, or not. I hate it when the only ones we are allowed to use are those that apply to white males.

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
They say even a broken clock is right twice a day. Why should it be newsworthy that the BNP once in a while says something true? Unless one is seeking to advance their agenda, or advance them themselves, why would one point out that such as the BNP are right in one little case (if in fact they are)? Even the KKK will be likely right in suggesting what sheet-whitening products work best.

Why, if they are right about something, would one not point it out in order to start a discussion? I can think of only one reason - the BNP are Britain's "token racist party", and as such they exist only to be hated by the liberals. Moreover, there is the assumption that anyone who does not agree with them must automatically hate them with a passion.

I don't agree with socialism, but I don't hate every left-winger on the planet. Why is it that everyone in the country must either hate racists or be one themselves?

quote:
You are taking the actions of a few and saying anyone who is a member of that goup is behaving and believes in exactly the same way. Remember our discussion about Howard Dean? I said he's a democrat so he must be a socialist dirt bag (words to that effect) and you (at least I think it was you) provided me a link to some Dean info that changed my mind and broadened my perception of the DNC...

My point is, if judging an entire group by the actions of some members of that group is unacceptable in some cases, it is unacceptable in all cases. We can either use stereo-types, or not. I hate it when the only ones we are allowed to use are those that apply to white males.

The thing is that the people whose behaviour is so abhorrent are the policy makers and the spokespersons of the party. The people who actually are responsible for the party's image and its ethos. Nick Griffin is the party chairman, not an isolated extremist mook on the street.

Now you're clearly giving the BNP the benefit of the doubt because they're unfamiliar to you and they don't carry the cultural baggage for you that they do here.

But this is roughly equivalent to saying to an American, "now come on. You're just stereotyping the KKK here. You can't base your assessment of them on these news stories." They're an openly racist party who, like the KKK have attempted and failed to achieve respectability. But the fact remains: they're a hate group. They always have been.

Here's the stories. I have indicated bias after each link.

British National Party's Site - hate from the horse's mouth.

Anger as BNP included in school's political lessons - news story from last year (left wing)

Conservatives kick someone out for having links with BNP - BBC, August 2001 (no bias)

Motion put to Scottish parliament in July 2001 (left wing)

BBC summary of BNP manifesto in European elections (no bias - quotes from BNP)

Archive of news about the BNP from the Scotsman (don't know what the bias is)

Nigerian Journalist of libertarian persuasion says that BNP shouldn't be banned - PDF file (but read it - it still gives you an idea of the general image of the BNP among the British public)

News archive re. the BNP from Ananova (no political bias)

Independent Race and Refugee News Network archive of BNp based news - Yes, of course it's biased. But it's still a valuable source of info.

Story from the Observer, April 2003 (left-wing)

Statement from Broadcasters' Union detailing protests about transmission of BNP party political broadcast (do they have those in the US?} (left-wing)

Archive about race riots in Burnley in 2001 (no political bias)

official Conservative Party statement - Labour playing into the hands of BNp and other extremists (right wing - duh)

Another Conservative Party press release: Oliver Letwin warns of "upsurge of fascism" (right wing)

Conservative party press release: IDS claims it's not racist to discuss immigration (refs. BNP (right wing)

Telegraph story about detective forced to resign after BNP links revealed (right wing)
You have to register for this one, but it's free, and it gives a useful right-wing counterpoint to the Guardian.

More on Burnley, from the Telegraph (again, you need to register):
Story about violence erupting - initiated by the ANL

From the above story:
quote:
In the aftermath of the BNP's electoral success on May 1, the Bishop of Burnley, the Rt Rev John Goddard, expressed his dismay. "It is now seen as not impossible to vote for such a party," he said. "We have crossed a line, a line which is against everything that is best in our culture."
Sequel to that story:BNP kicks out councillor who gets in fight - Telegraph again

Last one from the Telegraph: MPs urge stringent asylum controls (for fear of giving extremists like the BNP a bigger foothold)

You only get the first few lines of this story (unless you buy it, and I didn't) but that's quite enough

That's 20 links.

ps: Interestingly, apart from the race policies, it seems that the BNP's economics are actually authoritarian left - but the emphasis is on the authoritarian.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Why is it that everyone in the country must either hate racists or be one themselves?

Because racism is an evil sin condemned by God and the Church. If you don't hate it, you condone it

Posted by Genie (# 3282) on :

quote:

quote:

You are taking the actions of a few and saying anyone who is a member of that goup is behaving and believes in exactly the same way.
The little matter that the individual under scrutiny is the leader of the party in questions doesn't make you stop to consider that perhaps his actions and ideals match those of the party he leads? If we were talking about the racism of an anonymous member of the BNP, then your criticism may be valid, as there are always bad apples in a box. But if a member of the BNP doesn't agree with those warped values outlined in their manifesto, then what are they doing in the party at all? Political parties are formed when like-minded people get together in order to bring about certain changes they see as beneficial. It's fairly safe to assume therefore that any given member of the BNP will believe the racist filth produced by the BNP propagandists because otherwise they wouldn't be in the party at all.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Why is it that everyone in the country must either hate racists or be one themselves?

Because racism is an evil sin condemned by God and the Church. If you don't hate it, you condone it
Link? Racism hasn't always been condemned by the church - was it okay back then?

Posted by chestertonian (# 5264) on :

quote:
Wood:
Nick Griffin is the party chairman, not an isolated extremist mook on the street.

I think it's possible to be both.

People in Britain dislike (hate, despise, contemn, or whatever) the BNP because their ideology is thuggish. The fact that their leaders and adherents behave in a thuggish manner is unsurprising. But the fundamental point (I think) is that even if every single member of the BNP was a lovely, amiable, harmless person, the ideology would still be primitive and cruel.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Link? Racism hasn't always been condemned by the church - was it okay back then?
Actually, before the church came into the ascendant, colour prejudice was non-existent, the only real kind of prejudice being cultural (ie. "if they don't wear our clothes and worship our gods, they're not like us"1. Not unlike the whole headscarfs thing going on in France right now, IMHO)

Actual colour prejudice really came in at about the 4th century AD, due mainly to the early church's tradition that the devil was a black guy. Take the story of Saint Moses the Black, who received racist abuse from his brother monks, and who internalised it - it was seen as a mark of his holiness that he believed and prayed against the "detrimental effects" of his colour.

Was it OK then? Well, if you were one of the people of that day, you'd probably say yeah; looking at it with hindsight, we say, "of course not".

The church has a hell of a lot to answer for. The article quoted in the OP has something of a point, but at the same time of all the people to make that point, the BNP are the most hypocritical. The church has, for the most part, got past racism (in fact, the fastest growing churches in the world are non-european, and non-white) - the BNP hasn't.

re: The rope as a symbol of white unity.

The rope is a symbol taken from the Turner Diaries (made infamous by Tim McVeigh) and evokes a time when the white race will get tired of being trod upon by the government/society and will rise up and destroy it, forming a new, more "perfect" society.

Re: racist groups:

I don't know about the BNP, but I have known members of the KKK and the Southern Brotherhood (an allegedly racist motorcycle gang - primarily when I lived in NC. Let me just say that I never witnessed any overt hatred from them towards blacks.

There are two different types of people that join the clan (that I am aware of). The first is the racist, the one who hates. The second, which I prefer to think of as misguided rather than "racist" (the way y'all use the word), think that minorities should have equal rights, but that whites and minorities should remain seperate.

In NC I was invited to a party with the Southern Brotherhood, a motor cycle gang. I didn't know anything about this group before I got there, only that I was going with a couple of friends who said it was "cool". There were blacks, whites and latinos at this party which included alcohol, cocaine, weed, acid, and who knows what else. I did not come away from the party with the impression that this group was racist. When I mentioned it to someone at work, however, I got told some horrible stories about how racist and violent the group has been. My position is, if you mix whites that hate minorities with all of these chemicals, then stir in some AfrAms and allow the whole thing to simmer in the back woods then you are eventually going to end up with a lynching - or at least someone is going to hurt. This did not happen, never even came close. My only conclusion is that this group of whites could not "hate" as much as their reputation says they do.

quote:

The rope is a symbol taken from the Turner Diaries (made infamous by Tim McVeigh) and evokes a time when the white race will get tired of being trod upon by the government/society and will rise up and destroy it, forming a new, more "perfect" society.

You see this as a bad thing, right? [Eek!]

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
There are two different types of people that join the clan (that I am aware of). The first is the racist, the one who hates. The second, which I prefer to think of as misguided rather than "racist" (the way y'all use the word), think that minorities should have equal rights, but that whites and minorities should remain seperate.

By that reckoning apartheid wasn't racist. Very strange definition of racism to me.

quote:

Little book called the New Testament. You may have heard of it.

We're not supposed to proof-text here so I'll try to refrain from listing the 20-odd quotes I found in an hour or so last time this came up round here.

Ambrose of Milan's opposition to anti-Jewish pogroms is an excellent early example of Christian 'anti-racism'. I use the inverted commas because current notions of race are relatively modern, and integrally tied up with the slave trade, but that's a different thread - history has certainly been characterised by oppression of the 'Other', but it has been theorised differently at different times.

(PS. Am I the only one thinking that 'The Holy Men of Manchester' would be an excellent 'Lesser Festival' for inclusion in the next edition of Common Worship?!)

[ 12. January 2004, 11:36: Message edited by: Divine Outlaw-Dwarf ]

quote:
The second, which I prefer to think of as misguided rather than "racist" (the way y'all use the word), think that minorities should have equal rights, but that whites and minorities should remain seperate.

That is racism. That's what we mean by the word.

Or a large part of it anyway.

Wood: I am not opposed to a dismantling of society (being anarchist) but I don't believe that any one race is more qualified to rule than any other. I don't believe any person is more qualified than any other. I don't believe we should be ruled. Guided, perhaps, but not forced.

Alan: The way most people here seem to define "racist" is in the context of hate, so I try to refrain from expressing my views in words that mean a particular thing to a particular group of people. I've tried offering dictionary definitions, but that just gets people more vicious in their rebuttals.

There are racists who are seperatists but do not hate.

There are liberals who are racist out of pity, because they don't believe that a particular minority can assimilate and advance on their own. These are the most dangerous kind because their attitudes are more easily accepted on a broad scale.

Then there are racist that hate.

quote:
quote:

There are, of course, many who would use those exact arguments about other issues of the day. Jack Chick, for example.

How does refusing to pour as much vitriol as I can upon someone equate to condoning their beliefs? I don't scream abuse at Hamas press releases either - does that mean I condone suicide bombings?

The BNP promote hatred. I find it ironic that those who oppose them because of that also promote hatred, just in a different direction. "When is hate acceptable and to be encouraged" - what a question for a Social Science essay!

[tangential]
quote:
Ambrose of Milan's opposition to anti-Jewish pogroms is an excellent early example of Christian 'anti-racism'.

Actually, Ambrose spoke out in support of an anti-Jewish pogrom.

He took up the case of some monks who burnt down a synagogue (in the city of Callinicum, AD388) and petitioned with the emperor Theodosius for them to be spared from reprisals.

His case was rambling and extremely anti-Semitic by any modern sense of the word. He argued that if Theodosius allowed the synagogue to be rebuilt and the monks punished, he would "not be a good Christian"; he went on to say that if Theodosius took up the side of the Jews, he would be taking on the role of a persecutor of Christianity.

Theodosius initially refused to listen, but apparently relented after Ambrose delivered what was a sermon in some accounts, a petition in another in the church at Milan.

Either way, Ambrose can hardly be said to be in opposition to this pogrom in particular.

[from the horse's mouth: Ambrose, Epistolae Extra Collectionem 1a [40]; ibid. 1 [41]]
[/tangent]

[ 12. January 2004, 11:49: Message edited by: Wood ]

quote:
Wood: I am not opposed to a dismantling of society (being anarchist) but I don't believe that any one race is more qualified to rule than any other. I don't believe any person is more qualified than any other. I don't believe we should be ruled. Guided, perhaps, but not forced.

But you see the racist agenda implicit in the rope thing, right?
quote:

Alan: The way most people here seem to define "racist" is in the context of hate, so I try to refrain from expressing my views in words that mean a particular thing to a particular group of people. I've tried offering dictionary definitions, but that just gets people more vicious in their rebuttals.

There are liberals who are racist out of pity, because they don't believe that a particular minority can assimilate and advance on their own. These are the most dangerous kind because their attitudes are more easily accepted on a broad scale.

Then there are racist that hate.

I suspect it's not your definition of racism that most people here disagree with - certainly, I'm in agreement that all the people you mention are racist.

But.

I suspect that some might take issue with you on your definition of "hate".

In which case my Dictionary of Saints is a whitewash job! Thanks for the correction.

[ 12. January 2004, 11:56: Message edited by: Divine Outlaw-Dwarf ]

quote:
(PS. Am I the only one thinking that 'The Holy Men of Manchester' would be an excellent 'Lesser Festival' for inclusion in the next edition of Common Worship?!)

That is kind of cool. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
quote:

That is kind of cool. [Smile]
Don't they have to be martyred first?

Or at least dead?

I gues, NP, you're saying we should give individuals the benefit of the doubt, no matter their membership in an organization. I agree- to a point.

But look at it this way. The BNP reserves a particular antipathy for what it calls "race mixing". It has a peculiar hatred for mixed race couples and regards mixed race children as mongrels. My children are mixed race. I have a recurring nightmare that I and they stumble into a train carriage or a pub filled with BNP supporters on their way back from a rally or maybe just out for a quiet social evening. Now, hey, maybe they'd just ignore us. Maybe they'd even think my kids were cute. But I wouldn't bet my life, or the lives of my children on it. I would not give these hypothetical BNPers the benefit of the doubt. I'd get away from them as fast as possible.

I take this further. One day, I'll return to the UK. I see the BNP as making the UK unsafe for families like mine. Individual BNP members might be wonderful human beings, but again, I'm not going to bet my life on it. I want the BNP stopped. I want them shut down, denied freedom of movement, freedom of speech, and sufficiently intimidated that they are afraid to harass, threaten, or assault anybody. Supposing they have a mind to. The fact that the party's links to violence are "unprovable" in the 100% terms you require does not matter to me. I have to make a judgement call on what is known and understood about them by most people in the UK. What I'm saying is: as a group, they are my enemies. I wish it were not so. I am required to pray for them. I'd be a fool not to resist them and support efforts in the UK to curtail their activities, legal or illegal.

All of which takes us far, far away from the OP, for which I apologize.

[ 12. January 2004, 12:39: Message edited by: Peppone ]

quote:

That's right. They are the infant racists who have not yet matured. They start simply disgusted by the differences between themselves and the group with which they refuse to mix. The disgust may never grow to hatred that manifests itself with outward violence, but it can't help but grow to dislike. It can't help but gain tolerance for abuse toward the "outside" group. That was why it was pronounced illegal in the US, and segregation was outlawed. It is much, much, worse than "misguided." Does NP think it was wrong for the US courts to end segregation because people have the right to be "misguided"?

quote:
When whites take partners from other ethnic groups, a white family line that stretches back into deep pre-history is destroyed.
Look at the above BNP party quote. Notice the word "destroyed." This is not a neutral term. The black blood has "destroyed" the white family line. Is there any doubt that the writer "hates" black blood? Is there any possibility that if he were counselling a white person not to marry and have children with a black one, that he would tell the white person, "you are wasting your white blood" rather than "you are destroying a perfectly good black line that stretches back to the beginning of time? And yet the writer claims that he has no hatred for blacks; he simply wants them to be "separate" and equal.

NP claims to have met KKK members who simply are for separatism and who hold no hatred for blacks. I'd like to talk to them myself. The only ones I met were very polite and civil in public and scathing in private. He told us an anecdote about a misunderstood motorcycle gang. What of his personal experience with the KKK? There are KKK members with a loving feeling of brotherhood for blacks, with a desire for their daughters not to sully pure black blood lines back to the beginning of time with white blood? Really?

I wonder after all this discussion and evidence if NP sees Nick Griffin, head of the BNP, and the BNP itself as "misguided and without hatred" or "hatefully racist, lying about their level of hate, and promoting hatred?" This thread after all is about the BNP.

quote:
Originally hissed, Gollum-like, by Nick Griffin, on his little website:

We don’t hate anyone, especially the mixed race children who are the most tragic victims of enforced multi-racism, but that does not mean that we accept miscegenation as moral or normal. We do not and we never will.

Man, that sends a shiver down my spine. And the BNP is standing a candidate in the town just a few miles from my home in the UK.

quote:
quote:
Originally hissed, Gollum-like, by Nick Griffin, on his little website:

We don’t hate anyone, especially the mixed race children who are the most tragic victims of enforced multi-racism, but that does not mean that we accept miscegenation as moral or normal. We do not and we never will.

Gollum would never have said that. Saruman or Wormtongue might, or just possibly the Voice of Sauron.

Evil, evil, evil.

I don't know who 'we' are in Nick Griffin's mind (sic), but the lovely folks at Redwatch seem to be sympathetic to his party, and seem perfectly capable of hatred.

[Please see my warning below on the indemnity required from those who access this site.]

[ 13. January 2004, 07:08: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

Posted by Adrian1 (# 3994) on :

Whatever one thinks of the BNP - and there are several perfectly legitimate views - I would venture to suggest that it has gained council seats in the areas where it has, precisely because it is decisive about what it believes in and is prepared to tackle honestly issues such as immigration which are close to people's hearts. That's what I think, anyway!

They are responding to real alienation and a feeling of 'being forgotten' by mainstream politics, I agree. And, I would argue, the rise of the far Right is an indictment of the British Left. I think, and hope, that 'immigration' is a red-herring. A lot of people are superficially anti-immigrant, because they are looking for some explanation for their own plight, but if you bother to argue with them a lot of people will change their minds, that has been my experience. Classic case of scapegoating - why do I have to wait for my hip operation? 'Because billions of pounds are being spent on asylum seekers.' (lol) Why can't my daughter get a council flat? 'Because immigrants get them.' (I heard this latter argument used in a virtually all-white area with no asylum-seeker population.)

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

Wasn't it Shaw who described anti-semitism as the socialism of fools?

Replace "anti-semitism" with "prejudice against asylum seekers" and very little has changed.

Well, Okay - BNP policy makers do sound villianously racist. And perhaps the few KKK members I have met have just been "nice" around me because I wasn't a member. Yet as Marvin(?) pointed out (sorta) everybody hates somebody for some reason, and its generally based on percieved differences (culture, philosophy, religion, etc).

I'm curious as to how many of you who throw around the "racist" lable so easily have ever applied it to a minority race. I've never seen a discussion here in which the Nation of Islam or similar group has been accused of racism. Its always "white" organizations.

quote:
I don't know who 'we' are in Nick Griffin's mind (sic), but the lovely folks at Redwatch seem to be sympathetic to his party, and seem perfectly capable of hatred.

WARNING
Please be warned that the links to the site concerned require any person entering the site ie you to give various warranties and an indemnity to the publishers etc of Redwatch with respect to any legal liability resulting to them from the download of material by you from the site. It appears to contain material whose exact legal status is unclear and which the sites' own publishers themselves regard as potentially inflammatory.

Duo Seraphim
Purgatory Host

[Edited my own post to add a bit]

[ 13. January 2004, 07:07: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

quote:
I'm curious as to how many of you who throw around the "racist" lable so easily have ever applied it to a minority race.

So easily?! Read my lips: Nick Griffin was convicted of inciting racial violence in open court by a multi-racial jury. Who throws the word "racist" around "so easily?" It's the other way around: you refuse to allow it to be used when you are utterly ignorant of the facts, like you claimed to be on the Strom Thurmond thread and ably demonstrated here regarding Nick Griffin.

By the way, I have been a registered Republican since 1972 and have never voted for a Democratic candidate except Jimmy Carter. That was just a protest for Ford giving a pre-emptive pardon to Nixon, who I thought should have gone to jail. You and I have never discussed Howard Dean on any thread. I think you may be developing a prejudice that I'm a "liberal."

For someone who supposedly hates "exhaggerations" you sure seem fond of them. Saying that people on this thread and the Strom thread were too quick to use the term "racist" is one exaggeration.

Here's another:

quote:
The attitude seems to be that any rumor or innuendo will do for a conviction of the BNP, but one must present irrefutable, hard boiled, cast iron, stainless steel, dyed in the wool, card carrying, Grade A, 100% truth when speaking against the Catholic church, especially if you want to accuse them of having erred in the past 30 years.
You spewed that out pretty quickly, obviously not having a clue what you were talking about, and I think it turned out to be just a *tad* over the top.

Here's another:

quote:
The fact is that the Vatican is more of a political organization than a religious one.
Note the word "more." I don't suppose you'd care to supply a link that establishes this "fact" would you? I mean something provable like we gave you.

I'll talk about racist black supremacy groups when you back off the "Shipmates are liberals who over-use the term 'racist.'" I've heard enough of that.

quote:
Well, Okay - BNP policy makers do sound villainously racist.

Jim - this is Clint admitting that we've given enough evidence to satisfy him that it's not all innuendo.

quote:
I'm curious as to how many of you who throw around the "racist" lable so easily have ever applied it to a minority race. I've never seen a discussion here in which the Nation of Islam or similar group has been accused of racism. Its always "white" organizations.
As you've pointed out yourself, racism is about more than simple resentment.

With that in mind, can members of ethnic groups really be technically racist?

(I've recently become part of the school of thought that suspects they can't, in case you haven't noticed.)

The Nation of Islam is a pretty good example. They're a more or less a hate group, right? Are they racist? That all depends on what your definition of racism is.

Is it:

a) a system of prejudice perpetrated against minorities by the majority due to ethnic concerns;

or is it:

b) contempt for others based on the colour of their skin?

They're both valid, but we have to be clear which of these we mean.

Thing is, Clint, you've discounted the second in one of your own posts on this thread.

quote:
So easily?! Read my lips: Nick Griffin was convicted of inciting racial violence in open court by a multi-racial jury. Who throws the word "racist" around "so easily?" It's the other way around: you refuse to allow it to be used when you are utterly ignorant of the facts, like you claimed to be on the Strom Thurmond thread and ably demonstrated here regarding Nick Griffin.

Ignorant of the facts? Okay Jim, lets talk about the facts of interracial violence.

It is a fact that if you are the victim of a race based murder you are significantly more likely to be white, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics. Where is the outrage and the 6 month run of news articles in the paper? Oh thats right, in the interest of fairness, we've quit reporting the race of the offender in print - that is, if the offender is a minority.

The fact is that I knew very little to nothing of BNP and was not willing to take some obviously biased information and use it to form an opinion. Since then Wood (the "we" you must be referring to) provided me with an abundance of reputable links to use as a basis for forming an intellectual rather than emotional opinion.

The fact is that, as admitted in my previous post, I agreed that they do sound "villianously racist". I also agreed that with you that the KKK members I met may have just been putting on a show for my benefit.

As for Dean, I specifically mentioned that "at least I think it was you".

The fact is that the Strom thread was settled. I never said that people were too quick to call Stromm a racist. I suggested that as a result of his daughter's revelations perhaps we need to re-evaluate our view of him. But God forbid anyone forgive a "racist", or even talk about it. What the hell was I thinking?

I don't care if you are a republican, democrat or socialist, because none of those lables sum up who you are, what you think, or what kind of person I think you are.

The quote about attitude was based on the posts prior to that quote. Until then, no one had shown me anything ressembling unprejudiced, hard fact. Also, the paragraph started off with the qualifier "Some of you are...", which does not mean "all Ship mates". A dictionary might help if you don't understand the meaning of the word "some".

Okay -now we have some statistics to talk about on the other side of racist crime. So I'll put a foot forward and say All shipmates are not liberals who overuse the word "racist".

Your turn Jim. Tell me about Black supremecists. Explain to me how 2300 white and 500 blacks are charged with hate crimes every year, but blacks kill 2-3 times as many white people as whites kill blacks? Yet the media perception, and from what I have gleened from SOME (note the word and double check the definition) individuals on the ship is that the only racist hate groups worth talking about are the "white" ones - which is in itself racist, isn't it? When someone says "racist", you immediately think of a white guy. I know you do, you know you do. Thats a fact.

As for the Catholic Church/Vatican: Are they not represented at the UN? Are they not considered permanent members of the UN? Haven't they always been willing to change their religion to suit the political climate? Find your own links. Google "Vatican politics" and you'll have a boatload.

Originally posted by Nonpropheteer:

quote:
Haven't they always been willing to change their religion to suit the political climate?
No.

Posted by dyfrig (# 15) on :

I'm not sure exactly what NP is looking for, but if it sounds like s/he wants someone to say "Black/Asian/Latino people can be racist to, you know", which is of course true, from the treatment of Asians in East Africa to African Asians fighting with white regimes against Black Africans, from some of the wackier theories of Black origins and Whites and Jews being lesser races to the oppression of the Karen peoples in central Asia. There's the phenomenon amongst parts of Black South African communities where lighter skinned people are regarded as more marriable than darker skinned ones. To think otherwise is to be highly naive.

I remember reading an article in the Daily Express (leading British exponent of enlightened liberalism, if "enlightend liberalism" was defined as pandering to the lowest common denominator prejudices of white Britain) that they had discovered that in Africa, some Black people treated other Black people with contempt because they were "more" Black. The underlying tenor of the article was, "See?! It's not jsut white people who are racist! They do it too!" and the impression that this made it alright: we, as white people, do not need to be examining uor practices and social structures, because Black people are mean too.

quote:

(I've recently become part of the school of thought that suspects they can't, in case you haven't noticed.)

The Nation of Islam is a pretty good example. They're a more or less a hate group, right? Are they racist? That all depends on what your definition of racism is.

Is it:

a) a system of prejudice perpetrated against minorities by the majority due to ethnic concerns;

or is it:

b) contempt for others based on the colour of their skin?

They're both valid, but we have to be clear which of these we mean.

B. Definitely B. Whether the victim is in a minority in the country where the incident takes place is irrelevant.

Just to be sure, I looked it up in the dictionary:
quote:
rac·ism
n.
1- The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2- Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

racist adj. & n.

Discrimination against any race is racism, therefore the Nation of Islam is a racist group.

I firmly believe that anyone who says only white people can be racist (or for that matter, only men can be sexist, etc) is severely mistaken.

[Edited in italics]

[ 14. January 2004, 00:29: Message edited by: Duo Seraphim ]

Posted by 'Lurker' (# 1384) on :

quote:
It is a fact that if you are the victim of a race based murder you are significantly more likely to be white, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics. Where is the outrage and the 6 month run of news articles in the paper? Oh thats right, in the interest of fairness, we've quit reporting the race of the offender in print - that is, if the offender is a minority.

These are not race-based murders. They are just murders where the victim and offender happen to have different-coloured skin. Naturally, black on black crime dwarfs this- if African americans were consumed with hate towards whites, why is there so little black-killing-white murder compared to black-killing-black?

Are you saying that every time a white person is killed by a black person it is a race crime? (Before you start, the "liberal media" does not say every instance of black people killing white people is a race crime.) Isn't it more likely that most of these killings are for more mundane reasons? A hate crime is when race, religion etc. can be shown to be a factor, and most cases of these are perpetrated by white people against black people. The fact that the total number of white people killed by black people exceeds the total number of black people killed by white people* does not affect this.

None of this should be taken to mean African Americans are a race of murderers- after all, there is more white-killing-white murder in the last three years of your list than black-killing-black. In fact, I hope the media in your country is diligent in informing white americans that they are over 5½ times more likely to be killed by a white person than a black person. After all, knowledge is power.

When I go to America, I'll hang out in the "hood" (or whatever it is called these days). These white Americans sound bloody dangerous. In fact, can I apologise to any and all white Americans I may have offended in the past on this board? Please don't kill me, I meant no harm. [Smile]

Lurker
who only signs long posts

*We're talking murder here. If I was to include African Americans dying from pollution, poverty, fighting unjust wars, inadequate healthcare, etc. it may be a different story.

quote:
Originally posted by 'Lurker':
quote:

These are not race-based murders. They are just murders where the victim and offender happen to have different-coloured skin. Naturally, black on black crime dwarfs this- if African americans were consumed with hate towards whites, why is there so little black-killing-white murder compared to black-killing-black?

*We're talking murder here. If I was to include African Americans dying from pollution, poverty, fighting unjust wars, inadequate healthcare, etc. it may be a different story.

Take a look at those statistics again. The white-on-white homicides and the black-on-black homicides are roughly the same number. There are 284 million people in the US, 34 million (or so) are black. Now ratio that out and tell me you would still feel safer in the "hood".
...I will give you credit though - I should have said "inter-racial homicide" rather than "race based homicide". The latter does make it sound as if I am talking about hate crimes.

In the '90s the media often talked about the increasing interracial violence and followed it with news stories about white racists. Even I was under the impression that radical white supremecy was on the rise and minorities were in ever increasing danger. The statistics, which they never quoted in full, tell a different story entirely. Yes, interracial violence was at an all time high in the '90s, but the rates of whites being murdered by blacks was still double or more.

According to the Disaster center the death rate is 906 per 100,000 for whites (regardless of age and sex) and 842 per 100,000 for blacks. Read the technical notes:
quote:
Rates in this report are on an annual basis and, except for infant
and maternal mortality rates, are per 100,000 estimated population in a specified group or area.

That includes poverty, pollution, inadequate health care and fighting "unjust" wars (no, I didn't miss that anti-Bu$hism).

[tangent] I am less of Bush supporter than I was before, partially because of things I've been exposed to on the ship. But then my support of Bush was largely based on the fact that he was not a Clinton Democrat. Its only recently that I've learned there are non-Clinton Democrats.[/tangent]

quote:

There was, back in the 1980s, a use of jargon which distinguished the word "racism" from "racialism".

One was used to mean something like "thinking that the world is divided into distinct races with very different characteristics and that this distinction is very important and probably biological in origin" (i.e. what another generation of lefties called "scientific racism" - we could call it "racism type 1")

The other meant "not liking people of other races (however defined)" (i.e. what others called "racial prejudice" - call it "racism 2")

The trouble was no-one could rememember which was which unless they had had their Ideological Soundness top-up injections.

And then along came what some called "systematic" or "structural" racism (I could call it "racism 3") and some people used one or the other of words to mean that, and two almost identical words were being used to cover three quite different things (all of whch exist, and all of which are morally bad)

Which just goes to show that whatever the human failing that leads us to fight wars over the difference between homoiousiousand homoousious it isn't confined to Early Church Fathers.

I remember having a drink after a fringe meeting at one of the early 80s Labour Party conferences (in the Quadrant in Brighton, a wonderful pub with great beer [Smile] ) with Russell Profitt (later a candidate for one of the Lewisham parliamentary seats, which he almost certainly lost only because he is black) and someone else who I forget, who were explaining to a poor confused and white conference delegate who was insisting that he couldn't be a racist because his wife and children weren't white, that he was a racist but he wasn't a racialist. Or perhaps it was the other way round?

And apparently black people could be racialists but could not be racists. Pr maybe the other way round. According to a slightly different technical use of the word "racist". Or maybe "racialist".

But back on the point if we call these racism(1) racism(2) and racism(3), it is certainly possible to say that members of minority ethnic groups in whatever country can't commit racism(3), but that almost anyone now and again does racism(2).

And that it is possible to be a member of an organisation that propagates racism(3) without personally doing either racism(1) or racism(2).

Or something like that.

NonProfiteer was claiming that his KKK friends, like those nice Afrikaaners one hears about (Oom Paul was always polite to his poor black neighbours, or so we are told) do racism(1) but not racism(2). I don't believe it of course.

quote:
There was, back in the 1980s, a use of jargon which distinguished the word "racism" from "racialism".

One was used to mean something like "thinking that the world is divided into distinct races with very different characteristics and that this distinction is very important and probably biological in origin" (i.e. what another generation of lefties called "scientific racism" - we could call it "racism type 1")

The other meant "not liking people of other races (however defined)" (i.e. what others called "racial prejudice" - call it "racism 2")

Or something like that.

NonProfiteer was claiming that his KKK friends, like those nice Afrikaaners one hears about (Oom Paul was always polite to his poor black neighbours, or so we are told) do racism(1) but not racism(2). I don't believe it of course.

You seem to be defining "racism" as "hating a darker colored race". Is it beyond comprehension that black people, or any other race could hate white people simply because of their color? You may not be saying that, but your post confused the hell out of me. I'll re-read it after I get some sleep.

I never claimed to have friends in the KKK. You may be getting confused from the fact that I said I went a party with friends, that was sponsored by the Southern Brotherhood. I have no friends (TMK) that are members of any racist organization. Though I do know an 18 year old kid that loves hip-hop, is learning to rap, and wears all the FUBU gear he can find yet still claims to hate black people. That is beyond comprehension for me.

...and it seems to me that if the 80 or so thousand members of the various white supremecy groups all hated, we would see a significant increase of white-on-black homicide.

quote:
if the 80 or so thousand members of the various white supremecy groups all hated, we would see a significant increase of white-on-black homicide.

Why? Why does hate have to manifested in homicidal violence? Hatred can be manifested in the smallest act of unfriendliness.

quote:
You seem to be defining "racism" as "hating a darker colored race". Is it beyond comprehension that black people, or any other race could hate white people simply because of their color? You may not be saying that, but your post confused the hell out of me. I'll re-read it after I get some sleep.

How can you re-read something that you never read in the first place?

And why do you think that people who hate people always kill them?

quote:
How can you re-read something that you never read in the first place?

And why do you think that people who hate people always kill them?

Perhaps I define hatred differently. Not liking someone, for whatever reason, is one thing. Hating someone is: [a : intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury b : extreme dislike or antipathy : LOATHING]. To me, "intense hostility" doesn't include talking about someone behind their back, or whispering slurs or telling offensive jokes. Hence my problem with always equating "racism" with "hate". Maybe I am more a man of action than some people - if I hate something or someone, I am outspoken about it and take whatever action I can to be rid of it.

How broadly or narrowly do you define hate? And remember, the broader you define it, the more it applies to you.

quote:
Originally posted by Me, yesterday:
I suspect it's not your definition of racism that most people here disagree with - certainly, I'm in agreement that all the people you mention are racist.

But.

I suspect that some might take issue with you on your definition of "hate".

I do sometimes wonder if people see that woody avatar and just go and skip to the next post.

Anyway.

quote:
Posted by John Wayne: Perhaps I define hatred differently. Not liking someone, for whatever reason, is one thing. Hating someone is: [a : intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury b : extreme dislike or antipathy : LOATHING]. To me, "intense hostility" doesn't include talking about someone behind their back, or whispering slurs or telling offensive jokes. Hence my problem with always equating "racism" with "hate". Maybe I am more a man of action than some people - if I hate something or someone, I am outspoken about it and take whatever action I can to be rid of it.

How broadly or narrowly do you define hate? And remember, the broader you define it, the more it applies to you.

Are you really saying that you define hate as "enough antipathy to cause one to seriously consider violence"?

Really? If this is the case, I am sure that I will not be alone in saying:

Yikes.

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

NP,

Just to have a clear statement from a so-called liberal (even though I'm actually a left-libertarian):

I think the Nation of Islam is unquestionably racist, inciting hatred against whites, hispanics and especially against Jews. There is never any excuse for racism. Ever. By any group. No matter how "oppressed" they may have been. If the Christian religion is clear on anything, it's clear on this.

Laura

quote:
The fact is that I knew very little to nothing of BNP and was not willing to take some obviously biased information and use it to form an opinion.

It is also a fact that you were not willing to do even a modest amount of research to see why people were so upset. Maybe they had a good reason to be upset? Oh no, that can't be. They are Shipmates. But Nick Griffin? Innocent until proven guilty. That's my point. Nick Griffin gets the benefit of the doubt. Strom Thurmond gets the benefit of the doubt. Shipmates get... doubt.

quote:
Your turn Jim. Tell me about Black supremecists. Explain to me how 2300 white and 500 blacks are charged with hate crimes every year, but blacks kill 2-3 times as many white people as whites kill blacks?

That's easy. There are far more whites than blacks. If both groups kill without regard to race, you are going to see whites killing a small population of blacks and blacks killing a large population of whites. Even if statistics showed that blacks killed more whites, it would not prove that it was racially motivated. It may be that whites have the money and both black and white criminals are looking for money. Money for drugs perhaps.

Case in point. I was mugged by a black guy with a gun and three of his friends had a gun on me in a car. Had I given them an ounce of crap, they would have shot me. It wasn't a hate crime. The police knew the guys and said they were crack addicts. They just wanted my money. So they drove to a white neighborhood and rolled me.

Had they shot me, they would not have left a sign on me painted in blood saying, "death to all white honkies." That's racially-motivated murder. The rest is violent crime with the most populous group showing up in greater numbers as victims.

quote:
When someone says "racist", you immediately think of a white guy. I know you do, you know you do. Thats a fact.

That happens not to be a fact. I was the target of Black Muslim intimidation in the 70's when I was a student at Cornell. I still have part of a copy of the newspaper they slipped under my door. If I can find it, I'll scan a hilarious picture for you of a young white kid under a Christmas tree with a shotgun. I really do think of Black Muslims along with a blur of others when I hear the word "racist." That's a fact.

Even if it were true that I immediately thought of "white" racists firsts, it might only reflect that there are more whites than blacks and I am naturally going to envision a "white" anything. When someone says, "income tax evasion" I think of a white person, but they could as easily be black. Even if you could come up with something where I think of a black person first, it demonstrates either that I have a "prejudice" or that there is a real difference. A black person is probably more likely to file a suit alleging racial discrimination and they might pop into my head first. It does not necessarily mean that the media have launched a systematic, racially motivated campaign to brainwash me into thinking that blacks are inferior to whites in some way and that I have swollowed it.

quote:
As for the Catholic Church/Vatican: Are they not represented at the UN? Are they not considered permanent members of the UN? Haven't they always been willing to change their religion to suit the political climate? Find your own links. Google "Vatican politics" and you'll have a boatload.

I think you missed the word "more" in your post. "More political than religious" is what you said, paraphrasing. I can't seem to find any links demonstrating that "fact." Nor am I going to look. Your assertion, your burden of proof.

quote:
Are you really saying that you define hate as "enough antipathy to cause one to seriously consider violence"?

Really? If this is the case, I am sure that I will not be alone in saying:

Yikes.

"Hate" is a very strong word. As NP says, it doesn't mean "dislike", "disagree with" or "have objections to". For example, I dislike, disagree with and have objections to socialism, but I don't hate it.

I can't think of anything I genuinely hate. The word really does have violent overtones now that I think about it...

quote:
Originally posted by JimT

[opening tangent]
Reading this thread, I am even more convinced that vitriolic counterattacks are a sign of trying to hide something.
[/end opening tangent]

This is aimed squarely at me, right?

As I have said several times before, a group of BNP yobs once threw bricks, stones, bottles etc at my mother and she is lucky not to have been seriously injured or even killed.

As I have not said before, I have another friend who was beaten up by the BNP for being black and for being gay.

I was brought up to hate racism and the BNP are racists. and you are right, I was vitriolic and I do hate the BNP quite intensely. I am not alone in this. A relative of mine espouses views which are close to the BNP's, and I love him but hate his views. He has special circumstances also which mean that I can't get all that angry to his face and so I sometimes do over-state my case against the BNP on these boards. I should not have used a hellish tone in purg and have already apologised for this.

[ 13. January 2004, 16:35: Message edited by: Papio ]

quote:
It is also a fact that you were not willing to do even a modest amount of research to see why people were so upset. Maybe they had a good reason to be upset? Oh no, that can't be. They are Shipmates. But Nick Griffin? Innocent until proven guilty. That's my point. Nick Griffin gets the benefit of the doubt. Strom Thurmond gets the benefit of the doubt. Shipmates get... doubt.

The doubt came from the OP, which was posted by a shipmate. I also know that SOME people tend to only go to web sites that are biased towards what they believe anyway (as was shown). I also know that when a person or organization gets branded as racist baby-seal-loving, environmentally aware, socially oriented, radical "free" thinkers tend to attach that lable with superglue and never ever forget the accusation. I also know that in todays society you often only need someone's word to brand someone or an organization as racist.

I have done some research into the BNP, and it seems that they are an organization that is trying to change. Perhaps not in the way YOU or some of the other people here want them to change, but they have either developed a strategy to seriously change their public image, or the body isn't quite as racist as the head so management is changing to suit their members.
Not to say they are no longer racist, because they obviously are, but they are at least trying to become a "kinder, gentler" racist.

The thing is, I don't care if someone dislikes (or even 'hates' if we are using your broad definition) someone else for whatever reason. The only thing I care about is what they do as a result of their feelings.
If someone hates black people, but never takes any overt action to harm a black person or people, then more power to him. I do not believe in saying its okay to hate someone simply because they hate someone else, nor to punish them for actions they have not taken. Those who hate a person because of the way they think are just as bad as those who hate because of a skin color.

And for the record, I don't get the impression that there are too many like that aboard ship, but there are some.

I'm not going to argue catholics with you on this thread. I'll withdraw the comment since you seem so focused on the "more", but if you would like to start a thread, I've got plenty I protestant lies and exhaggerations I could post.

The BNP are trying to change? The phrase refers to testes and rhymes with 'rollocks'.

What we see in the current BNP is an electoral tactic used in the past by the ultra-left, the maximum-minimum programme. On the one hand an 'acceptable face' is presented to the electorate. On the other hand a more explicit fascism exists amongst activists, and those most enthused by the electoral activities will be drawn into this 'inner core'.

Let's be clear, there is absolutely no way that the BNP are going to change face, New Labour style, solely in the pursuit of electoral gains. Their controlling ideology rejects liberal democracy as an unnatural incursion into proper social hierarchy, an afront to leadership and a drain on the nation's strength.

I recommend Searchlight magazine, which is available online, for those wanting to find out about the BNP.

No Papio, my tangent was not about you. You were the one I was hoping NP might have given some benefit of doubt to. I certainly gave you the benefit of the doubt. Notice that my first post was immediately after your apology. Knowing and respecting you, I figured that if you showed such hatred there must be something to it, so I checked into it and started posting in such a way to lend support as to why you would boil over. That's what got me posting on this thread.

What I was referring to was NP quoting Hitler, demanding links proving BNP racism because he knew nothing about it, complaining about Shipmates "attitudes" and finishing with a blistering attack on the Catholic Church. It's all in his post of 11-Jan at 13:20.

I'm not Catholic and I don't think every Shipmate is a saint. But quoting Hitler, complaining about Shipmates' attitudes, and blistering a church is not the way to go on a fact-finding mission on whether the BNP is in a good position to make a point about the hypocrisy of religion, which is the subject of this thread.

I can see the Catholic church being in a weak position to criticise a country club for letting blacks play on the golf course but not them eat in the dining room given its stance on closed communion. I can see the Catholic church being in a weak position to criticise homosexual advocacy groups on the basis that they promote and protect pedophiles. That I can handle. But any religious group is in a position to tell its members not to vote for the BNP because it is divisive.

Double cross-post. What DOD said.

quote:
I have done some research into the BNP, and it seems that they are an organization that is trying to change. Perhaps not in the way YOU or some of the other people here want them to change, but they have either developed a strategy to seriously change their public image, or the body isn't quite as racist as the head so management is changing to suit their members.
Not to say they are no longer racist, because they obviously are, but they are at least trying to become a "kinder, gentler" racist.

It is not like me to triple-post, but after seeing the locked thread on homosexuality in the news, I had to come back here and comment on this. NP is saying over and over not to be duped into swallowing media hype. But it looks like that is happening here. Given the links and the personal experience of people here who are much closer to the issue, I'm not buying any media hype about the "softening" of the BNP. My suspicion is that they really do have ties to hate groups advocating violence and are protecting those ties while they try to clean up their public image. I hope that NP is open to the possibility that the BNP still actively promotes physical violence behind the scenes while they clean up their public image to get elected. Doesn't that make more sense than assuming they've turned over a new leaf?

Posted by Jerry Boam (# 4551) on :

quote:
If someone hates black people, but never takes any overt action to harm a black person or people, then more power to him.

Such a person is sick and wrong. The illness that infests his mind and heart has severe negative consequences for that person, regardless of what overt harmful action they avoid taking. And there is no telling the damage he does with covert action to harm black people. I am glad if such a twisted person refrains from overtly harmful expressions of the hatred he harbors, but I cannot say "more power to him."I would rather wish that he would find or be granted the eyes to see things as they are, and be freed from his hateful feelings.

quote:
I do not believe in saying its okay to hate someone simply because they hate someone else, nor to punish them for actions they have not taken.

But you never know that someone has racist feelings unless they have taken some action, even if they are only acts of speech.

I once worked with a man who used to tell me gleefully about his large akita and how much it hated black people. He regaled me with stories about how his dog would strain at the leash trying to bite black people who happened to cross his path. He would finish each of these stories by smiling at me in a nasty way and telling me how much he loved that dog. He also took every opportunity to tell the all white studio in which we worked nasty jokes about the non-white employees of that company. He was unfailingly polite to all the non-white employees who had occaision to visit the studio and it was clear that he had successfully completely masked his feelings from them. I hated him and hated coming to work knowing that I would have to hear his insidious banter. The minute my contractual obligation was up, I left and never returned to that company. I regret that you think it was somehow wrong of me to hate someone who was venting hatred for people I love at every opportunity, but I think either your idea of "actions taken" is too limited, or you are imagining an impossible hypothetical scenario.

quote:
Those who hate a person because of the way they think are just as bad as those who hate because of a skin color.

No, that's bullshit.

Going back to Wood's definitions (Jan 13, 07:56) A & B, I have some sympathy for the distinction being drawn by people who go with definition A, but I am firmly in the B camp: all contempt for others based on skin color or other racial characteristics is racism. And it's all evil and destructive.

There is a great deal more that I would like to say on this topic, but I find working through it emotionally draining, and can't, at this moment, muster more energy than it took to get through those points.

I remember some black racist backers of Wood's definition A who came to speak at Columbia University. Their argument came down to: it's OK for us to be racist because we are not in power... Sorry, but no. I rather enjoyed the classroom discussion the next day when a PC white student was doing his best to justify this pernicious doctrine and was challenged by a south asian student who had been showered with racist abused by the same visiting black racists... The ideological house of cards collapsed rather quickly.

I wish that someone who is more detached would take up the argument that the attempts by racists to adopt a kinder public face (and avoid paraiah status by eschewing the label "racist") in order to promote racist ideology is not a good thing.

JimT has already touched on this but it's a bigger issue.

[grammar!]

[ 14. January 2004, 00:55: Message edited by: Jerry Boam ]

Cheers JimT [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Cheers JimT [Smile]

I'll second that. Thanks, Jim, for making reasonable arguments when some of us were reduced to silent pain.

NP, you are prepared to imagine that the BNP is ready to change. There's another interpretation of their actions: that they are playing a tactical game but trying to keep their more extremist supporters from breaking off into yet another right wing splinter group. Take a look at this, from their own website, from their own party leader.

Griffin reassures his members that he is not going soft on race:

quote:
New Labour is working very hard to steal the BNP’s best-known clothes. This presents both the need and the opportunity for us to clarify our position on the crucial subject of race.
Here Nick returns to the pet hate of the hard core racist- race mixing. From here on through the article, he hammers this point home, making it clear that the mixed race are not welcome in his future Britain:

quote:
Nor even does it mean that we think that it is a good thing for even a single person of European stock to have so much as one child with a Japanese or Chinese.
Here he points out that he is aware of the problem of street level members being soft on race- supporting teams with black players!- but that for the moemnt he will tolerate this:

quote:
At a more basic level there can be little doubt that virtually every one of our voters and a majority of our activists are compromised by some aspect of the ‘multi-culti’ experiment, whether it be supporting sports teams which include non-whites, buying ‘ethnic’ take-aways, or getting on perfectly well with a few individual members of ethnic minorities
Speaking of the BNP's long term goals, he explains why he is no longer aiming for the expulsion of every non-white from the UK (just most):

quote:
many people would rather see a totally all-white Britain, this less than perfect arrangement is the price our children will have to pay for the treason of our Masters and the fact that the United States of America is under the control of multi-racist fanatics who would bomb this country back into the Stone Age if we gave them the excuse by evicting the last non-whites at gunpoint.
Here he introduces the new "caring" approach to mongrel children. (I'm imagining my kids attending a school that teaches them their parents were perverts and their mixed-racedness is unnatural):

quote:
There are a hundred ways in which miscegenation could be discouraged – having TV soaps portray the problems it really can cause rather than presenting a fantasy picture of how wonderful it is supposed to be would be just one. Best of all, however, would be an education system that teaches children of different races to have pride in their own people and to understand the essentially unnatural and destructive nature of miscegenation. We will replace promotion with rejection, but we cannot introduce persecution.
And finally he explains what attitude to take if you have to make hard, personal decisions on race mixing:

quote:
Do I regard someone with half-caste grandchildren as a suitable member or candidate for the BNP? Yes, if that individual personally believes in and adheres to our principles. That doesn’t for one moment mean that we approve of their circumstances, but the wrong-headed decision of their grown-up offspring is something over which they have no control. I would ask them not to bring those grandchildren, despite their probable love for them as individuals, to BNP events because they must understand that, to many of our people, the British National Party is the only respite we have from an otherwise endless diet of force-fed multi-racism.
I've probably quoted far too much here, but maybe you can see where I'm coming from. He wants a UK where people don't even eat Indian food or watch black sportsmen! What is this but a careful reassurance to his core membership that the BNP remains racist (his term is "racial realist") and still has a racist agenda?

I hope you can also see why I, for one, would have to regard the BNP as my enemy. No benefit of the doubt. If they have even moderate electoral success, they will make life hard for people like me and my kids in the areas they influence. That's why I don't want to see them on school boards, parish councils, local councils, or in Parliament. That's why I want the BNP suppressed...by any means necessary...call me a bigot...

quote:
Perhaps not in the way YOU or some of the other people here want them to change, but they have either developed a strategy to seriously change their public image, or the body isn't quite as racist as the head so management is changing to suit their members.
Not to say they are no longer racist, because they obviously are,

Perhaps you missed that part.

The only person I've heard from here that has some kind of "right" to "hate" the BNP is Papio - having suffered abuse from its members. As for hate, aren't we supposed to hate the sin, not the sinner? I don't hate Strom or Nick for being racists, or anyone else for that matter. Racism is bad, no doubt about it. But so is casual sex with multiple partners, breaking the speed limit, running a stop sign, or dialing your cellphone on the freeway.

quote:
I hope that NP is open to the possibility that the BNP still actively promotes physical violence behind the scenes while they clean up their public image to get elected. Doesn't that make more sense than assuming they've turned over a new leaf?

And you missed this point, NP. You really believe the BNP? Why?

quote:

Obviously, you missed that part twice. See what I mean about being blinded by anger and hate?

quote:
quote:

Obviously, you missed that part twice. See what I mean about being blinded by anger and hate?
Hosting

That's enough, nonpropheteer and JimT. If you want to fight - take it to Hell.

Duo Seraphim
Purgatory Host

quote:
quote:

I thought you were saying that they still are racist because they still are segregationist. I thought the whole point of your post was that they were softening and no longer promoted violence. Otherwise your statement about them being "kinder and gentler" makes no sense and this makes no sense:

quote:
If someone hates black people, but never takes any overt action to harm a black person or people, then more power to him.
Do you think the BNP takes overt action to harm racial minorities? Do you think that they encourage other organizations to take overt action to harm racial minorities? Do you think they knowingly welcome people into their organization that take overt action to harm racial minorities? Or do you see the BNP as basically a group of silent and harmless haters and segregationists? Sorry if I missed your point.

I crossposted with the Host's warning. If NP is done, so am I.

quote:

The only person I've heard from here that has some kind of "right" to "hate" the BNP is Papio - having suffered abuse from its members.

What "right" to hate? I'm talking about a reason to take or support action against them.

I don't hate them. I recognize them as an enemy. It's different.

Anyway, whatever.

quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
Hosting

That's enough, nonpropheteer and JimT. If you want to fight - take it to Hell.

Duo Seraphim
Purgatory Host

Sorry Duo - I'm done.

Thank you, nonpropheteer and JimT.

Looking back at the OP, there is a point about moral authority and the role of the Church in commenting on elections and the political process that could be usefully explored.

quote:
I can see the Catholic church being in a weak position to criticise a country club for letting blacks play on the golf course but not them eat in the dining room given its stance on closed communion. I can see the Catholic church being in a weak position to criticise homosexual advocacy groups on the basis that they promote and protect pedophiles. That I can handle. But any religious group is in a position to tell its members not to vote for the BNP because it is divisive.
I think JimT sums this up well. All sorts of criticisms can be levelled at the Catholic church, or indeed any other Christian communion on any number of grounds. (Whether or not you accept the specific instances Jim cites or not). But it seems to me that the equal worth of every human being in the eyes of God is a fairly fundamental Christian doctrine. Voting for the BNP is, therefore, entirely inconsistent with Christian doctrine and every Christian church has a right, indeed an obligation to say so.

NP - there are a number of well attested cases of politicians actually reversing previous policies on either pragmatic or moral grounds. In the UK, for example, there is the Labour party's abandonment of socialism or more recently the Tory party's attempt to divest itself of some of the ideological baggage of Thatcherism. For this to work, or to be accepted the previous policies have to be unsaid. Labour were finally elected in 1997 because the electorate trusted Tony Blair not to immediately nationalise the economy the day after the election because he had gone to great lengths to distance the party from this position. Tory attempts to distance themselves have been rather more equivocal and, therefore, somewhat less successful. Even your own hero, Mr Thurmond, must at some point have said during an election campaign "I no longer support segregation, events have moved on and so must I" or words to that effect.

Now it is by no means clear that the BNP have materially shifted their position. It is quite clear that members of ethnic minorities are still not welcome to the UK, as far as the BNP are concerned, nor are members of said minorities considered 'British' despite the fact that many of them are now third or fourth generation (and a continuous black presence in this country predates the initial movement of commonwealth immigration by some years). What the BNP have done is distanced themselves from the rhetoric of a)violence and b) overt National Socialism. Now obviously this constitutes an improvement on what went before, but falls well short of a change of heart or even a pragmatic abandonment of their most offensive policies ("I no longer support repatriation, events have moved on and so must I"). It appears to me (and to most other citizens of the UK, judging by the BNPs election results) that they have changed their presentation but not their core policies or the beliefs that motivate their policies. Frankly in a democracy I'm not obliged to give them the benefit of the doubt. Black people in Britain are here to stay. A shift from "we're facists and we hate black people and want to deport them" to "we're not facists and of course we don't hate black people, but we still want to deport them" is not, frankly, adequate.

On the subject of hatred. Jesus said: "He who hates his brother in his heart is a murderer". I mention this not as a proof text (although in this context it's a bloody important one) but as an example of popular usage. Hatred does not constitute an explicit intention to harm someone. It constitutes the emotion which motivates this harm whether it is acted on or not. So it is not adequate to ask for a smoking gun or a blood stained knife as evidence of hatred. It can be evident and should be condemned long before that point.

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Voting for the BNP is, therefore, entirely inconsistent with Christian doctrine and every Christian church has a right, indeed an obligation to say so.

Christian doctrine (inclusive of all christian faiths) or Catholic doctrine (which some christians feel is inerror)?
quote:

Even your own hero, Mr Thurmond, ...

Now it is by no means clear that the BNP have materially shifted their position.

A shift from "we're facists and we hate black people and want to deport them" to "we're not facists and of course we don't hate black people, but we still want to deport them" is not, frankly, adequate.

Jesus said: "He who hates his brother in his heart is a murderer". ...Hatred does not constitute an explicit intention to harm someone. It constitutes the emotion which motivates this harm whether it is acted on or not.

Strom is not, nor ever has been my hero. The only 2 senators I have ever liked is "sheets" Byrd and Jesse Helms. Both with a racist background, but both with a good sense of humor and character. Not necessarily "good" character - but I appreciate strong willed figures, whether they are my friend or enemy.

As I understand (from limited exposure obviously) one new BNP doctrine, they want to stop immigration to stabilize the economy, and pay (through "Homeward Bound" grants)current immigrants to return home Also, their allegedly have been no BNP marches since Nick Griffith took over. From what I've read he seems to be more reasonable and peaceful than Tyndall. But that may just be an act to increase electability.

I'm not opposed to offering immigrants money to leave a country. I'm not opposed to stopping further immigration. I'm not even opposed to someone desiring to deport non-citizens. I am, of course, opposed to using violence to achieve these ends. I also totally disagree with their policy towards British citizens whose ancestory can be traced to another country (blacks for example). I figure if you are born in a country, thats your home, whether its your parents home or not. Under new BNP policy (at least, so they say) they would be allowed to stay as "permanent guests", but would lose their citizenship.

Does Jesus make an exception for hating racists or murderers such as (from another thread) Harold(?) Shipman? Isn't being filled with hate for them just as sinful as being hating the IRS, George Bush, or (no offense intended Marvin) martians?

Posted by Bongo (# 778) on :

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do here, NP, or what your point is.

Are you trying to enlighten us as to the BNP's true nature? What makes you think we've got the wrong idea about them?

Ok, NP, you have point - you shouldn't "hate" anyone.

But are we allowed to oppose their vile policies with every fibre of our being?

Posted by Mili (# 3254) on :

I'd agree that as Christians we should not hate anybody - something which is obviously really hard to do though, especially if someone has hurt or harmed you, or really hates you first. But if we believe this surely that means racism is always wrong. As far as I'm concerned not wanting to live with or interact with people of different 'races'sounds a lot like hate to me, so racism always involves hate. It's certainly not only Catholics that condemn racism - I'd like to think it's a very small minority of Christians who strongly condone it.

On a tangent, 'race' is a very iffy term anyway. Genetically there is no basis for it - there is as much genetic difference between 2 people of the same 'race' as between 2 people of different 'races'.

As for the BNP, it sounds to me like they have been forced to change their approach due to the greater unacceptability of racism in British society today. To gain mainstream acceptance, they can no longer be openly proud of their racism. Instead they claim not to be racist, but only to be protecting the 'races' of the world, who are of course far to unique and different from each other to ever coexist!

Personally I wouldn't care if somewhere down the track there were no white people left on Earth, despite the fact that I am white myself. People are people and God created all of us.

As said above, I don't think it's right to ever hate anybody, but I find it much easier to comprehend why someone would hate an individual person or group with views they find very offensive, than hate people based purely on the amount of melanin in their skin.

quote:
The only person I've heard from here that has some kind of "right" to "hate" the BNP is Papio - having suffered abuse from its members.

I've been verbally abused by them. As have loads of people I know.

But that isn't really the point.

First, it is right - morally right - to hate racism. It's a sin. I'm not one of these liberal moral relativists - God hates sin and so should we. If someone is talking the kind of vile racist nonsense that Peppone so helpfully quoted then we shoud lbe prepared so stand up and say no, that's not right, is wrong. Evil.

Second, opposition to extreme conservative political parties like the BNP is not just a matter of hate, its perfectly rational.

If these people got into any kind of political power they would imprison, murder, or persecute, large numbers of people, perhaps including myself and members of my family; certainly including many of my friends, neghbours, and work colleagues. And an actual majority of the members of my church.

They are not just people with whom I disagree, they are my enemies. (Much more so than the Palestinan terrorists whom you love to despise so much - they are doing nasty things but not that threaten me or mine).

As they are my enemies I have a Christian duty to love them and pray for them - but I am also entitled to defend myself and my neighbours against them. And ome of the ways of defending ourselves is to educate others as to the real nature of such fascists, and to have zero tolerance for fascism and racism wherever we come across it.

quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:

Yes. As a matter of fact, Aren't we to strive against sin?

Bongo: No. My point is that, at least from a religious perspective, hating someone because they are racist is still hating. And hate is wrong. You can't forgive someone if you hate them, and as I understand it, thats what Christ's message was all about.

Milli: YES! It does mean racism rooted in hate is wrong. I don't even really know what a "white" person is. There are many tribes of native Americans that are just as "white" as I am. Of course, I am 1/4 native so that may have something to do with it. What is a "pure breed" white person - or black person, for that matter?

Ken: I'm not in opposition to anything you said, except I would edit one sentence to read: "Second, opposition to extreme political parties is not a matter of hate, its perfectly rational. Oh, and I don't love to despise the Palestinians. I hate what they do and refuse to support them in any way until they stop doing it.

Don't you mean the Palestinian terrorists, old chap?

quote:
quote:
Voting for the BNP is, therefore, entirely inconsistent with Christian doctrine and every Christian church has a right, indeed an obligation to say so.

Christian doctrine (inclusive of all christian faiths) or Catholic doctrine (which some christians feel is inerror)?
Is there any way in which BNP policies on race could be said to be consonant with either Christianity or Catholicism? Should all Christian churces and the Catholic church take a strong position in support of the BNP because the BNP policies on race typify Christianity and Catholicism in some way? Is it more proper for churches to take a neutral position and say, "BNP support is a matter of personal conscience to our members and they may freely support or not support them?" Or is it proper for churches to say, "We have no comment on political parties at all because we are religious organizations and not political ones."

I would say that on the basis of BNP policies toward race, the BNP stands in opposition to all Christian thought because Christian thought stresses universal brotherhood of all humankind, Jews and Gentiles, as one people, all the children of one God. Therefore, I would say that it is the duty of all Christian churches to urge its members not to support the BNP. I would further say as a matter of personal opinion that it is the duty of all professing Christians to show BNP policies on race to be anti-Christian and indefensible as "Christian." I would go so far as to say that even atheists who care about peace have a duty to attack BNP policies on race. I would go even further and say that anyone with respect for the American system of democracy, which outlawed segregation 50 years ago, has the duty to attack BNP policies on race. Defending BNP policies on race in any way disrespects American democracy, atheistic humanism, Catholicism, and Christianity in my personal opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by Bongo:
Don't you mean the Palestinian terrorists, old chap?

Yes. Sorry. Should have specified.

quote:
... the BNP stands in opposition to all Christian thought because Christian ... it is the duty of all Christian churches to urge its members not to support the BNP. ...it is the duty of all professing Christians to show BNP policies on race to be anti-Christian and indefensible as "Christian." ... has the duty to attack BNP policies on race. Defending BNP policies on race in any way disrespects American democracy, atheistic humanism, Catholicism, and Christianity in my personal opinion.

I agree.

Posted by Chesterbelloc (# 3128) on :

quote:
quote:

What kind of distinction are you trying to draw here, NP? Why on earth would opposition to political motives such as the BNP's not properly be a matter of agreement between all the churches? You seem to suggest that there would likely be only Catholic disagreement to such political agendas, and that this would be likley to be deemed "erronious" to "Christians". Why?
quote:

As I understand (from limited exposure obviously) one new BNP doctrine, they want to stop immigration to stabilize the economy, and pay (through "Homeward Bound" grants)current immigrants to return home [...] I'm not opposed to offering immigrants money to leave a country.

Do you mean that you see nothing wrong with first generation immigrants who have attained citizenship/permanent residency from their new country being offered money to return to their countries of origin? I, personally, can see plenty wrong with that. Why should they be made to feel unweclome in this way? Why would this in any way be a good thing?

Apologies if I've misunderstood anything you've said.

CB

I wonder how many white English people would take 20 grand to relocate to Barbados or Spain or Brazil?

quote:
I wonder how many white English people would take 20 grand to relocate to Barbados or Spain or Brazil?

Quite. And I imagine that Scotland would beconme dangerously depopulated overnight if such offers were on the table.

CB

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
What kind of distinction are you trying to draw here, NP? Why on earth would opposition to political motives such as the BNP's not properly be a matter of agreement between all the churches?
Do you mean that you see nothing wrong with first generation immigrants who have attained citizenship/permanent residency from their new country being offered money to return to their countries of origin?
CB

Well, frankly because it is not an agreement between all churches that racism is wrong. And I'm sure you wouldn't have to scratch to deeply under the surface to find catholic racism. I do agree that racism has no place in the christian faith, I'm just saying it does exist in the christian religion.

I believe that in a democracy, if the majority of citizens do not want non-citizens in their country, then they should have the option. Though it would be kind of ironic for that to happen in America - seeing as how 98% of the population are a result of immigration. I'm not saying it would be the right thing to do, if the population wants to get rid of immigrants, "homeward bound" grants sound like the best idea.

quote:
quote:

Quite. And I imagine that Scotland would beconme dangerously depopulated overnight if such offers were on the table.

CB

I can't wait till the native Americans start offering us money to leave. But do I go to Germany, Ireland, or Kentucky?

...and if you've ever been to Kentucky, you'll agree its a foreign country.

The moral equality of human beings before God is a basic tenet of Christianity which is shared by all reputable churches including the Catholic church. I'm sure that some Catholics are racist, human sinfulness being what it is, but Catholic teaching clearly, and in conjunction with with the witness of the majority of Christian churches, condemns racism. Galatians 3:28, if you want chapter and verse.

Are you adding vulgar anti-Catholicism to your list of prejudices?

quote:
The moral equality of human beings before God is a basic tenet of Christianity which is shared by all reputable churches including the Catholic church. I'm sure that some Catholics are racist, human sinfulness being what it is, but Catholic teaching clearly, and in conjunction with with the witness of the majority of Christian churches, condemns racism. Galatians 3:28, if you want chapter and verse.

Sure. Why not? I don't typically trust organizations, especially religious and political ones. But are you saying the RCC has never been racist? To be honest, I don't know if they have or not, so I'll withdraw that claim. I was raised to believe that catholics were in "league with the devil", a belief I have since pushed aside...but still some remains. I apologize.

quote:
quote:

Sure. Why not? I don't typically trust organizations, especially religious and political ones. But are you saying the RCC has never been racist? To be honest, I don't know if they have or not, so I'll withdraw that claim. I was raised to believe that catholics were in "league with the devil", a belief I have since pushed aside...but still some remains. I apologize.
NP, you're making it too easy for me - you're confirming all my worst suspicions about your whole argumentative stance here. Where's the challenge for me in that?

But, since I've got the reply window open ... One of the main problems for me is not, as you claim, that you "don't typically trust organizations, especially religious and political ones", but rather that you seem to save your contempt exclusively for the Catholics. It's not a general cynicism that your expressing here - it's a very partial and jaundiced one.

Why should any of us engage with your self-confessed prejudices (inherited or otherwise)? None of is free from prejudices, but most of us at least try to keep them checked in open debate. It's just embarrassing not to.

On the other hand, please do point out where I misrepresent your stance - apologising in advance if I do.

CB

[ 14. January 2004, 18:32: Message edited by: Chesterbelloc ]

Posted by Rat (# 3373) on :

quote:
I believe that in a democracy, if the majority of citizens do not want non-citizens in their country, then they should have the option. Though it would be kind of ironic for that to happen in America - seeing as how 98% of the population are a result of immigration.

The population of Britain is also 98% the result of immigration, if not more. You'd be hard pushed to find a Pict, if even they were the original inhabitants. Over a longer period of time, granted, but to such an extent as to make any talk of 'native british' a complete nonsense.

Plus, they are not talking about asking non-citizens to leave, but about taking citizenship away from a set of people, then asking them to leave. Hardly the same thing, and not acceptable on any level.

quote:
NP, you're making it too easy for me - you're confirming all my worst suspicions about your whole argumentative stance here. Where's the challenge for me in that?

I've been thinking about it and realized I've been talking out my arse about the catholic church. I apologized. Most of my attitude towards catholics (I realize now) stems not from experience with catholics, but as a result of crap I've been told from childhood. The research I did looking for telling "racist" catholic doctrine only produced anti-catholic sites. Hardly the kind of sources to base an opinion on. Sorry to make your job easier and rebut my own posts...

quote:

Why should any of us engage with your self-confessed prejudices (inherited or otherwise)? None of is free from prejudices, but most of us at least try to keep them checked in open debate. It's just embarrassing not to.

True all around.

My stance on the catholic church is probably in error. However, if I had the time, I could easily point you to several "christian" web sites that promote racism. I think the christian identity movement is one.

I was raised to despise the RCC, but not the people themselves. The theory being that the members of the church were victims of devilish deception adn we should pray for their forgiveness. I guess this attitude has transferred itself to other organizations such as BNP: The organization and its policies are bad, but the members are victims of deceptive doctrines/ideologies and ignorance so should be forgiven. A 'There but for the grace of God go I' kinda thing.
I'm not saying I think the process of forgiving hateful people is wrong, I still firmly believe that is true and good. I am saying that the views I was taught about the RCC are at best exhaggerated, at worst total lies.

quote:
Originally posted by Rat:
Plus, they are not talking about asking non-citizens to leave, but about taking citizenship away from a set of people, then asking them to leave. Hardly the same thing, and not acceptable on any level.

I agree with you on that, as I said above.

Posted by Mili (# 3254) on :

I should have put white in inverted commas. As I said in my previous post, 'race' does not actually have any scientific basis - it's a human construct. But people who do class people into 'races' would certainly describe me as 'white'. As you say NP, what is 'white'? or for that matter 'black'? or 'Asian'? Does it depend on your bloodlines? Your appearance? Your perception of yourself? Other people's perceptions?

This is a big issue in Aus when it comes to Indigenous Australians, most who have some European ancestry, and some who in appearance are white, but would still identify themselves as Indigenous. There are debates about who has the right to identify themselves as Indigenous. By law you can if you have Indigenous ancestry, and are recognised by other Indigenous people as Indigenous. But some Australians (both indigenous and non-indigenous) disagree with this definition.

Of course extreme racists would identify anyone with a 'non-white' ancestor as a mongrel, in their simplistic and narrow minded view of the world.

quote:
from Callan

What the BNP have done is distanced themselves from the rhetoric of a)violence and b) overt National Socialism. Now obviously this constitutes an improvement on what went before

Not "obviously". It depends on whether or not they are sincere in their rejection of National Socialism and Peppone's post seems to indicate otherwise.

On another matter - this thread, together with an unrelated hell thread, has made me realise just how easy it is to hate people, esp when said people have committed extremely evil acts or espouse an equally evil philosophy. I agree, really, with the people who have said we have no right to hate other people. I agree with that idea, yet I know in my heart that there are people whom I hate and would like to see suffer.

Perhaps I ought to have a serious thunk* about that.

*deliberate misspelling.

Posted by simon 2 (# 1524) on :

Up until recently the RC church was responsible for many gross acts of anti-semitism, including in some sections support for the Final Solution. European anti-semitism has its roots in "christian" teaching, drawn from the gospel of St John and the writings of St Paul and based around the idea that the Jews murdered Jesus and are no longer God's chosen people. Phrases such as "synagogue of Satan" and the characterisation of Jews in John's gospel being at the core. Many of the great men of church history have been violently anti-semitic at some point.

Even today I feel (some) churches are too quick to (ignorantly) characterise Jews negatively when refering to the NT, to the point where the only frame of reference given to the NT Jewish religion is that Jesus was in a constant struggle with it. And that the pharasies were blind, hard hearted and murderous, without virtue. To me this appears as quite an insiduous reincarnation of old "christian" racism, tolerated because we are so used to hearing it.

[ 15. January 2004, 08:04: Message edited by: simon 2 ]

quote:
quote:

Indeed.

Given your view that persons should not be judged for what they think but only for what they do, how do you respond to Jesus' words in Matthew 5:22?

quote:
quote:
quote:

Indeed.

Given your view that persons should not be judged for what they think but only for what they do, how do you respond to Jesus' words in Matthew 5:22?

I believe that what a person thinks is between them and God. Its totally okay with me for God to judge someone based on the content of their heart, but another person can easily misinterpret your actions or words and believe they know what and how you think.
When I speak of not judging someone on how they think, I am generally using it in the context of society, particularly the law. I do not believe we should have any laws (such as hate crime legislation) that make your punishment worse because of the way you think.

In America, everyone is supposed to be equal. We should strive for that in our laws. Murder is murder. I don't care what group of people you hate or love - if you murder someone only the circumstances of that murder should be taken into account. If you hate blacks and murder one, how is that different from murdering some rich white guy so you can steal his tv? Or killing someone else for hitting on your lady in a bar?

The concept of "Thought police" is offensive to the extreme for me. It is book burning, it is censorship, it is fascism. Plain and simple.

I am not talking in terms of civil or secular law (otherwise, of course, you'd have to believe that Jesus was a book-burning fascist). Your comments on "hate" and striving agaisnt sin are within the context of Christian ethics and behaviour, and it is within that context I am asking the question.

quote:
I am not talking in terms of civil or secular law (otherwise, of course, you'd have to believe that Jesus was a book-burning fascist). Your comments on "hate" and striving agaisnt sin are within the context of Christian ethics and behaviour, and it is within that context I am asking the question.

I'm really not sure where you are going with this. I think it is wrong to hate and feel that belief is justified by that verse. I dont think that gives us permission to hate others who hate, nor do I feel it means we are supposed to do (physical) battle with and condemn those who hate. The crux of Jesus' message seems to be to take care of the beam in your own eye before worrying about the splinter in someone else's. So if we are to battle hate and strive against sin, we are to do so in our own lives first. Once we get ourselves straightened out then we may (I assume) have the moral authority to condemn someone else. But since I don't have my own sinfulness in check, who am I to condemn someone else? The only authority I have been given (to my understanding) is that of forgiveness - and I'm encouraged to use it as often as possible.

I think (and I am making no guarantees that I undertand this myself, yet) that what I'm trying to work out is this:

On the one hand, you appear to be holding a position where you were unprepared to acknowledge that members of the BNP actually hate people because the organisation itself had not organised/committed/endrosed acts of (fatal) violence against other persons.

At the same time you expound, in response to many posts here, that it is wrong to express hate of people's views.

Now, you have acknowledged that Jesus teaches that hatred within one's heart is still hatred - therefore, do you now consider both that members of the BNP can hate others despite not having committed acts of violence, and that the same rule - no hatred - should apply to them as well?

Not wishing to get in the way of your interesting exchange with Dyfrig, NP, but I just wanted to thank you and slap you on the back for your frank backdown on the Catholic-bashing back there.

We're still, I intuit, light years aapart on this issue, but that apology in the face of considerable tetchiness was gracious of you. Nuff respeck, etc.

CB

quote:
I think (and I am making no guarantees that I undertand this myself, yet) that what I'm trying to work out is this:

On the one hand, you appear to be holding a position where you were unprepared to acknowledge that members of the BNP actually hate people because the organisation itself had not organised/committed/endrosed acts of (fatal) violence against other persons.

At the same time you expound, in response to many posts here, that it is wrong to express hate of people's views.

Now, you have acknowledged that Jesus teaches that hatred within one's heart is still hatred - therefore, do you now consider both that members of the BNP can hate others despite not having committed acts of violence, and that the same rule - no hatred - should apply to them as well?

Okay - I was actually withholding judgement that BNP was violently or criminally racist until someone showed me some evidence that didn't come from an obviously anti-BNP source. Which they did, more or less.

As an aside, this is what led me to discover my own unreasoning prejudice (which I didn't even realize I had till Callan brought it to my attention) against RCC - all of my "facts" about RCC were coming from obviously anti-catholic sites and people.

I admitted somewhere upthread that I have become convinced they are villianously racist, but that we still shouldn't hate them, because hate is wrong. You are judged (IMO) by who you love, not who loves you back. Disagree, vote against, etc - fight the sin, punish any violent actions, but not allow ourselves to become filled with hate. Doing so makes us no better than them from a religious perspective.

The rule of "no hatred" does apply to everyone, but I don't think any of us has the right force it upon someone. One stumbling point here is that we (shipmates, not just you & I) have been discussing this from two or more almost incompatable positions. What should I do as a Christian? vs What should I do as a member of society? As a member of society, I am free to hate them, hate the organization, or hate anything else I want and all I have to do is justify that hatred to myself.
As a Christian, I am still free to hate, but I have to justify that hate to God, and he (she/it) finds hate dwelling in your heart rather offensive.
I've often heard, and repeated: Hate the sin, not the sinner. I'm not sure how that applies in this case, or even if it is biblically supported. If it is okay to hate the sin, then I suppose it would be okay to hate the organization and its policies, but we would still have to (try to anyway) love the members themselves and pray for their enlightenment.

While I agree that one can hate without being violent, I don't believe society should be able to act on that hate alone. It must be followed by something tangible, such as violence before I believe society has a right to take action against it.

The problem, as I see it, is that when people allow themselves to hate -whether a person or a sin, they bcome blinded. I'm by no means a racist, but I've been accused of it many times just for questioning the validity of racist accusations against other people (both here and IRL). Its very hard to have a quiet debate with someone that has an entrenched view. NOTE: This is not aimed at anyone in particular, I know I've been guilty of entrenched views, and probably will be again in the future. Feel free to point it out to me at any time [Biased]

Forgiveness, I think is WJWD.

Chester: [Votive] The apology was owed, thank you for your gracious response.

quote:
NOTE: This is not aimed at anyone in particular, I know I've been guilty of entrenched views, and probably will be again in the future. Feel free to point it out to me at any time [Biased]

Jesus would also:

1. Take JimT off his ignore list so that JimT can give Jesus precisely the guidance for which Jesus humbly asks.

2. Make it more a personal responsibility to control his own behavior rather than to warn others that his behavior is likely to be inappropriate and that others should recognize it as such, not become inappropriate in response, and simply inform Jesus that he is (once again)...and again, behaving inappropriately.

Friendly Hosting Voice
Jim, that's a personal swipe.

Cut it out, will you?

[ 15. January 2004, 16:34: Message edited by: Wood ]

Thanks for your clarification, NP.

quote:
Friendly Hosting Voice
Jim, that's a personal swipe.

Cut it out, will you?

I will cut it out.

At the same time, I want to make a serious, calm, rational and non-personal point about NP's comments regarding "Thought Police." I can agree that it is fruitless for governments to make laws that say "Hate is an illegal emotional state." With respect to Churches, I think they should be free to tell their members what kinds of thoughts they "ought" to have. But in this case, I don't think that the Churches who told their members not to vote for the BNP on the grounds that it is "divisive" were engaging in any kind of "thought control." Also, the Churches did not say that their members should not vote for the BNP because BNP members hate and promote violence. Nick Griffin attempted to imply that, but it's just not true.

I also do not think that the US government was engaging in "thought control" in a fascistic way by outlawing segregation. Even though segregation is not in and of itself violent nor hateful from a philosophic point of view, psychologically it has been found to lead to animosity that in some cases can grow into hate and violence. Therefore, I do not hold with the opinion that it should be legal for political parties to support segregationist racial policies. I do not feel as though I am living in a fascist state because racial segregation is illegal. I see the present discussion here, regarding the Church's criticism of the BNP to not be about "hate crimes" but the legality of racial segregation.

Can the lawyers here tell me if it is illegal in the US for a party to have segregation on its platform? Obviously, it appears legal in (I'm going to get this wrong) Britain or the UK or the whatever the right jurisdiction is.

At the Manchester Against Racism meeting tonight at Manchester Town Hall, (Tony Lloyd MP in attendance), the BNP were outside by the main door making sure that everyone who went in felt and heard their presence. Some were taking photographs of attendees and those of us marshalling. This is a usual ploy which not only intimidates (or tries to intimidate) but allows them to put us up as targets for disdain on their nasty little web sites. Nothing illegal of course and it's a free country ... but it was not a pleasant experience. Julie Hesmondalgh (Corrie star, Hayley) spoke excellently. There were Jews, Muslims, Christians, secular humanists, left and centre ... poets, performers, young and old ... a real spectrum and a great encouragement.

How would you like Nick Griffin to represent YOU in the European parliament. If you're in his constituency, get voting.

BTW ... their posters said:- "Ban the ANL" (Anti-Nazi League), "Hands of our democracy" and "Free Speech."

There is just so much sophistry I can take.

Can we not tell the difference between a privately held thought known only to a person and God and organizing a political party with a view to inacting laws to limit the rights of a racial group or groups?

Is disliking a person for their expression of offensive views really the same thing as disliking a person because of a physical aspect of that person?

Is advocating free speech really the same thing as demanding protection for your right to limit the speech of others?

Is calling for the state to enforce racial segregation really not harmful?

Leaving all this offensive chaff aside, and getting back to the OP, I am somewhat shocked that the question in the OP about the legitimacy of the BNPs claim has been given as much play as it has... The BNP "argument" is twaddle.

They list the signatories of the anti-BNP statement. They are representatives of Jewish, Christian, Muslim and Hindu organizations.

quote:
Can the lawyers here tell me if it is illegal in the US for a party to have segregation on its platform? Obviously, it appears legal in (I'm going to get this wrong) Britain or the UK or the whatever the right jurisdiction is.

You can have anything you want on your platform. I suspect that there are, shall we say, minority political candidates that have racist proposals as part of their agenda. But according to the U.S. Supreme Court, the Constitution prevents the government from engaging in segregation. Therefore, though JimT, a free citizen, may practice segregation by having or not having Presbyterians or Asians or racists as guests at his home or club, and any political party can (under the First Amendment) stand for almost anything, as a legal matter it's pretty empty. To repeal an Amendment requires the same supermajority as passing one, so I don't see any Constitutional changes in the near future.

Can I say how extraordinary I find it that in the UK, which has been held up so many times as so much more liberal than the US, a party such as the BNP can get any mainstream following at all, or at least, can get so much support that there is a need for a "Manchester against Racism" rally! Here, publicly racist groups are pretty much pariahs. They get permission to do their pathetic little marches (First Amendment says we get to hear their disgusting views and so we can all hear how horrifying they are), and what typically happens is about 100 pathetic losers turn up for the march, while about 50,000 people turn out to express disgust at them.

[ 15. January 2004, 23:20: Message edited by: Laura ]

quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:
...the BNP were outside by the main door making sure that everyone who went in felt and heard their presence. Some were taking photographs of attendees and those of us marshalling. This...allows them to put us up as targets for disdain on their nasty little web sites.

And not just disdain, unfortunately. If your photo appears on Redwatch (along with your address, if they can get it, or an appeal for further "intelligence" on you) then there is at the very least the danger that your home (or workplace, or church) will be visited by a BNP leafletting team. This is another of their tactics- to arrive team-handed at the doors of anti-fascist campaigners, post BNP material through the letterbox, then hang around outside for an intimidatingly long time.

And this is where I probably differ from the majority of posters here. If the BNP were photographing me at a meeting, I'd have no objection to an ANL team beating the shite out of them and smashing their camera equipment. I'd swing a pickaxe handle myself, if I thought I could stay out of prison.

And I still don't hate them, any more than my grandfathers and great-uncles hated the nazis they killed in Europe in 1944.

[I was cut off in mid-post]

The BNP site puts the bold headline "Hypocrites and murderers" immediately after this list of names and then goes on to discuss the very worst violence associated with these religions all over the planet.

What is the implied argument? That each of the signatories is a hypocirte and a murderer? That because some people who practice the same faith as the signatories engage in violence, all people who follow those faiths are participants in murder and will be guilty if they make any public statement regarding ethics or morality?

Utter nonsense.

They then go on to extol the virtues of the BNP:
Never been involved in any political violence (false).
Dedicated to democratic political processes (false)
Those falsehoods are all they can come up with as virtues--the rest of that part of their statement is just raising hot-button bugaboos (Blair, IRA) to divert attention from their own ghastly nature.

The final bit that Nightlamp quoted comes next:
"each of these religions are merely fascistic structures based on enslaving their adherents and ensuring their own increased power."

This is a dead giveaway that no one in the BNP has ever attended the Church Council at my UMC church... or has a clue about the Annual Conference structure of the United Methodist Church. Seriously, while I'm sure you can find some followers of every religion who really are fascists dreaming of enslaving their fellows, this is not a point that can be taken seriously, let alone qualified as "good."

While I understand the tendency toward self-flagelation in Christian circles, and the appeal of martyrdom, taking any part of this spew of feeble sophistry from the BNP as legitimate is just beyond the pale.

Taking it as being about the Catholic church is just silly, if you look again at the list of signatories to the anti-BNP.

Re: the appropriateness of wishing ill on one's enemies, I can only look at the stark emotional truths laid bare in the psalms... While we are called to love and forgive even our enemies, we are not expected not to have emotions, even very strong and nasty ones. We are not to let the sun go down without releasing our hatreds, but that is a far cry from not having any at all. God made us with a full compliment of emotions and I don't think he did it by mistake.

My God. Thank you so much, Fr. Gregory. Your post is right out of the pages of history in the US. A subject too many find boring and useless. That saddens me. Laura is right that a serious pro-segregation movement is no longer a political possibility in this country. I am surprised the BNP is not on the US nightly news, nor is it being picked up by presidential candidates eager to show their knowledge of foreign policy and the superiority of The American Way.

Laura, to clear up the legal side of things, I recall the 14th Amendment as the one that guarantees "equal protection under the laws," passed after the Civil War in order to get slaves the vote, get counted as a full person in the census (instead of 3/5 or some ridiculous parody of sanity). Is the legal argument that whereas "separate" could be "equal" in the eyes of the law prior to 1950, but "separate" could not be "equal" afterwards, by Supreme Court precedent.

I recall as a young child private restaurants where the drinking fountains were labelled "white" and "colored." It was allowed in private restaurants prior to the 50's but somewhere along the line a private restaurant that was serving the public in general could not have separate drinking fountains or eating areas. All this was simply a reinterpretation of the existing 14th amendment?

Thanks a lot. I can't believe how much I've forgotten about how segregation was finally dismantled in the US, even though I watched it personally. It was a horrific time in US history.

Yes, it is under the Fourteenth Amendment, that in Brown v. Board of Education and all sorts of other cases the Supremes held discrimination on the basis of race by gov't entities and in public facilities unconstitutional.

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Boam:

Is advocating free speech really the same thing as demanding protection for your right to limit the speech of others?

Hurrah. The point that is so infrequently made when the BNP and their ilk go on about 'free speech' (and I can assure you there would not be much free speech if, God forbid, the BNP ever obtained power). Thank you Jerry.

Fr. G., well done for your meeting.

I cross-posted with the last half of Jerry's post. Right on, as we used to say.

Thank you Laura on the confirmation about the 14th Amendment. I gave a speech on the loftiness of the 14th Amendment and the tragic failure to fully enforce it to the entire student body of my high school in 1971. I received an extended standing ovation from the students and teachers but stone faces from the judges, a group of known racists within the group sponsoring the speech contest. You can imagine that I came in dead last. The local liberal newspaper editor remarked that while I had received a standing ovation, I failed to advance to regional competition. That's the way it was back then. To tell the other side, I went to Cornell University and laughed involuntarily in a psychology class when during a group exercise requiring us to rate the utility of items to someone stranded on the moon, a black woman said in all seriousness that she would want a gun in case there were moonmen. I apologized after the teacher said something about recognizing cultural differences and resulting perspectives, but the Black Muslims caught wind and slipped a copy of Muhammed Speaks under my door saying, "Come the revolution, you first preacher boy." (They knew my father was a preacher and considered me a privileged white even though I told them that my old man was the second shift janitor in high school and the preacher in the local holy roller church. "You're white. You're the devil" was their response.)

Such are the fruits of racial segregation.

Is everyone here aware of the Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes experiment by Jane Elliot back in the 60's? We were shown video of it as children and I see on the net that it is still being shown ( Scroll down to "Blue Eyed" ). Children are singled out for preferential treatment on the basis of something completely arbitrary: eye color. Racism emerges before your eyes. Separate treatment, even if it's looking down at your hand in disgust when you shake someone's hand, on the basis of arbitrary distinctions is indefensible. Because of its arbitrariness and separation from reason, the offender can tie anything to it. It's not like telling someone who can't do calculus that they are not allowed to be a physicist. The human mind can respond to reasonable separations. But not arbitrary ones. Down the road, at least some hatred and at least some violence is inevitable. The BNP is against marriages between races on the basis of "bloodline purity." That is actually worse than arbitrary because "bloodline purity" is genetically bad. I suppose they like the ancient Egyptian and Hawaiian systems where the children of the King or Queen were required to marry each other and have children? And check this rhetoric on the FAQ about mixed race relationships:

quote:
"we believe that all species and races of life on this planet are beautiful and must be preserved."
As if species mixing and race mixing are the same. Come on!

Churches in the UK ought to be showing "Blue Eyed" in their education rooms and anti-race rallies in addition to fighting the BNP in the polls by every means possible. Except violence.

No pickaxes, Peppone! As hard as it is, they should be fought with videos, not violence.

quote:
quote:
NOTE: This is not aimed at anyone in particular, I know I've been guilty of entrenched views, and probably will be again in the future. Feel free to point it out to me at any time [Biased]

Jesus would also:

1. Take JimT off his ignore list so that JimT can give Jesus precisely the guidance for which Jesus humbly asks.

2. Make it more a personal responsibility to control his own behavior rather than to warn others that his behavior is likely to be inappropriate and that others should recognize it as such, not become inappropriate in response, and simply inform Jesus that he is (once again)...and again, behaving inappropriately.

I'm sure if Jesus puts someone on his ignore list, there is a valid reason. Though I do find it interesting that you feel you could show Jesus the error of his ways. I don't think Jesus is in error. Perhaps I am, but certainly not Jesus.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Jesus would also:

I'm sure if Jesus puts someone on his ignore list, there is a valid reason. Though I do find it interesting that you feel you could show Jesus the error of his ways. I don't think Jesus is in error. Perhaps I am, but certainly not Jesus.
Hosting
More personal swipes. You boys need to stop pulling each other's pigtails.

Duo Seraphim
Purgatory Host

End Hosting

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Can I say how extraordinary I find it that in the UK, which has been held up so many times as so much more liberal than the US, a party such as the BNP can get any mainstream following at all, or at least, can get so much support that there is a need for a "Manchester against Racism" rally!

It doesn't get mainstream support. That doesn't mean its not nasty when it crops up. Nor does it mean it shouldn't be opposed.

Posted by Eigon (# 4917) on :

I came across the Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes thing by watching a play called No More Sitting on the Old School Bench, where the useless teacher introduced the idea to the kids and then wondered why the classroom got trashed in the resulting riot.
With regard to BNP types taking photos at meetings, surely a better response would be to take photos of them and see how they like it (of course, this would mean 'going equipped' for it).

Posted by Rat (# 3373) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Can I say how extraordinary I find it that in the UK, which has been held up so many times as so much more liberal than the US, a party such as the BNP can get any mainstream following at all, or at least, can get so much support that there is a need for a "Manchester against Racism" rally!

It doesn't get mainstream support. That doesn't mean its not nasty when it crops up. Nor does it mean it shouldn't be opposed.
Also, I don't think it's entirely fair to say that we have held ourselves up as 'more liberal'. Quite a few of us have railed against the anti-immigrant, anti-asylum seeker, generally nasty bias of our tabloid newspapers. These are not minority papers, as I believe US tabloids are, but mainstream. And they frighten the hell out of me.

The headline that Ken quoted on another thread - "Mum Weeps For Little Johnny Killed by Immigrants" - is a typical example. As are hysterical articles about how "millions" of our money is spent on asylum seekers, who swamp towns and live lives of luxury. Things which are not, in any reasonable sense of the word, true.

It is this kind of influence against which meetings like Fr G.'s have to stand. If Coronation Street stars can challenge the preconceptions of people whose only news source is The Sun, then good on them.

{spelling [Frown] )

[ 16. January 2004, 13:18: Message edited by: Rat ]

If the Press Complaints Commission was beefed up so that the tabloids couldn't get away with daily headlines like "illegal asylum seekers housed in five star hotels while Britons starve" then this would be a much nicer country to live in.

They should be forced to print a massive, grovelling apology on the front page (with the wording supplied by the PCC) for every damaging error.

Or maybe every nasty, vicious little article about asylum seekers should, by law, be accompanied by two cuddly human interest stories along the lines of "plucky little Sarah from Sudan escapes jaws of death, gets top marks in grade 8 trombone"... Dream on, eh?

I would like to branch in another direction related to the OP. If we were to assume that the BNP really is a supporter of racial segregation that abhors violence of any kind, and had it responded to the churches by saying that the church criticism of racism is ironic given that some churches are sexist, might it then have made a "good point?"

It does seem to me that a segregationist party that says "Neither God nor nature intended for races to mix" is in a position to call some churches' positions against racial segregation hypocritical. These church positions basically say that Holy Scripture teaches that God did not intend women to serve sacraments and that Nature and God both teach that marriage and sexual relations between the same sex are not intended.

In both cases, there is a separation of privilege (marriage and holy orders) based on arguments from nature and faith and not in rational distinctions (like calculus for physics professors). The result is divisiveness and bitterness in women and gays. Perhaps the only reason why sexism has not led to overt violence is that homosexuals were able to attain positions of power by hiding their difference with others and so were in a position to effect a "quiet revolution." Most women live in association with men and their children. It is difficult for them to take their children, separate, and go to war with men.

But heterosexual males from minority racial groups have the capability of responding with violence, and eventually it seems they do when they are forced to suffer rationally arbitrary discrimination.

So this is my question: if the BNP were "peaceful segregationists" would they be in a position to claim hypocrisy in churches denying full religious status to women and gays that criticize BNP segregationist policies? I think so, and would remark that it is sad to think that so many see secular society ahead of the church in this area of moral progress with the church lagging behind. It should be the church leading secular society in morals, not the other way about.

I notice that Nightlamp has not made an appearance since the OP. Is this perhaps what he was referring to, or something like it?

But the BNP site makes the argument that no adherent of any faith can make any claim about the immorality of voting for an organization like the BNP unless that faith is entirely free of internal moral strife and no member of that faith ever does anything wrong.

There's just no way to make a good point out of these ingredients...

Can one find reasons to be critical of violence and oppression in the name of faith? Sure... Does this have anything to do with the BNP or their spew on the site? No.

quote:
There's just no way to make a good point out of these ingredients...

Can one find reasons to be critical of violence and oppression in the name of faith? Sure... Does this have anything to do with the BNP or their spew on the site? No.

Jerry, please understand that I am not trying to make a "good" out of the BNP by saying "it would be OK if the BNP would completely back off violence." I am trying to level a "bad" against churches that are "sexist" in the terms I described in my post. The "bad" is that "sexist" churches at best are only as good as supposedly "peaceful segregationists." Given that "peaceful segregationists" are guilty of arbitrary discrimination, so are sexist churches.

This is not a defense of the BNP or any segregationist political party. It is offering a concern for discussion that churches with "sexist" practices may well be in a weak position to criticize "peaceful segregationists." This does not mean one should accept "peaceful segregation." It means those churches should rethink what company they are in.

PM me if you have concerns. Perhaps this should be another thread to get rid of any concern or confusion about supporting the BNP. That is not what I am suggesting for discussion.

I do think it would be better to have that debate in a BNP-free thread... though I also think the point is terribly weak and, examined in a context free of heat over issues like racism or catholic bashing, would rapidly fall apart.

You could, for example, unpack the point and find in it a general statement like this:

No person who is a member of a group that engages in any irrational assignment of privilege has the moral authority to speak against any irrational assignments of privilege by other groups...

No politics until the escahton, then.

You might just as well say: As the United States is riven by racism and sexism and has an ignoble history of attrocities perpetrated in the cause of those evils, no American is in a position to speak out against racist and sexist organizations anywhere else.

And people do try to use this absurd argument to silence opposition. I recall one example of this from Catherine Caulfield's book In the Rainforest it came out sometime in the 1980s. Caulfield was discussing the genocidal impact of the clearance then underway in the Amazon with a rancher who dismissed her with something like this: You Americans had your indian problem and solved it. Now, living in the prosperity you created by wiping those natives out, you criticize us. Just shut up, and let us solve our indian problem the same way you solved yours.

The argument that all Hindus, Jews, Muslims and Christians should remain silent on social injustice until such a time as there is no irrational assignment of privilege within any part of their religions is as good a point.

Of course, I believe that you are right that there is a problem with these evils in the Church. I would not have joined any church if I had not been able to find a church that was assertively opposed to just such injustices. The divisions within in the denomination on issues of social justice do not negate the good work of the specific church I joined.

If anything, the reactionary plans of our opponents within the denomination and the faith should be a call to people who believe in social justice to redouble their efforts to reform the denomination and faith. But that's another thread, I think.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to add something about the specific individuals attacked in the BNP statement...

Let’s look at a the religious people denounced as murderers and hypocrites by the BNP.

First up: Rt Rev Nigel McCulloch, Bishop of Manchester;
From the "who’s who" section of the Diocese of Manchester website
quote:
Interfaith issues are close to Bishop Nigel’s heart. He watched with horror the civil disorder that broke out in Oldham last year. Since then, churches have been among those working hard to secure goodwill on the ground. An interfaith forum has been established and there is regular contact between faith leaders. In the Wakefield Diocese Bishop Nigel has made sensitive links with the area’s ethnic groups and communities of other faiths. Earlier this summer he was invited to give a ‘Christian Perspective’ at the funeral of the family of eight who died in the house fire in Huddersfield. More than 5,000 Muslims were there.
During his time in Wakefield he has gained respect and affection from all sides for his ability to be a reconciler and healer. This is matched by a readiness to speak out with courage for what he believes in.

Is it a good point to say that such a man should be silent on an issue he believes in until every Christian is perfectly ethical?

Next: Terence Brain, the Roman Catholic Bishop of Salford;
Brain was chairman of a group within the Church that in 1996 produced a Healing the Wound a document on pastoral care for victims of child sexual abuse. In the forward to that document, Brain discussed the responsibility of the Church for its own abusive priests and workers.
quote:
Our report comes from a commitment that abuse is sinful and the Church must and will oppose sin wherever it comes to light. When it has come to light within the very heart of the Church it has not been easy to understand or respond in a pastoral and healing way. It is true that people in the Church have made errors of judgement and acted in a manner that has been more a reaction to the shame than to the hurt of victims.
And later he goes on to address this in explicitly Christian terms:
quote:
We need to become a Church more conscious of our own needs for repentance. ... Whatever our past failures, our lives can be recreated. We know all too well that this is a costly process; forgiveness is not easy or painless. Christ's risen body still carries the mark of his wounds. If we are willing to seek the risen, wounded Lord, we and our world can be transformed.
His patoral letters comment on the evil of allowing fear to pervert our inter-religious inter-ethnic and inter-racial relationships and aslo specifically speak against bigotry against immigrants… hardly someone who is unconscious about the problems of his own church..Link, Link, Link.

We could go on like this, but I’ll leave it to others to Google these topics and find the resources I have…
David Arnold, president of the Jewish Representative Council;
Rt Rev Michael Lewis, Bishop of Middleton;
Afzal Khan, of the Muslim Council of Britain;
Peter Brain, moderator of the United Reformed Church;
AK Sinha, a Hindu community representative;
Henry Guterman, vice-chairman of the council of Christians and Jews;
Fr Ephrem Lash, of the Orthodox Church, and the
Rev David Willie, of the Methodist Church

I will point to this negative comment on Rev David Willie as he is a methodist: The complaint is by activists working against persecution of Christians. They were scheduled to speak in several Methodist churches in the UK and those dates were later canceled. Rev Willie felt that their defense of persecuted Christians in Muslim regions could be seen as conveying an anti-Muslim message, something he was being careful to avoid in the charged atmosphere during the run up to war in Afghanistan after the Al Qaeda attack on America. Regardless of where you stand on the issues involved, this hardly seems like the action of a Christian blind to problems in his own church…
Finally, read through this Orthodox statement on"Religious Tolerance and Peaceful Coexistence" scan for the section about the "Bosporus Declaration" – in the light of such efforts by Jews, Muslims Christians and then ogoing internal debates over issues of gender and sexuality being carried on by at least some members of each of these faiths, can anyone legitimately deny, on the basis of their faith alone, any follower of these religions a voice in public debate on such issues and their expression in political parties?

quote:
Is it a good point to say that such a man should be silent on an issue he believes in until every Christian is perfectly ethical?

[tangent] No. But it might be prudent for a Bishop whose diocese contains one of the largest gay and lesbian communities in the British Isles to concern himself with sexual, as well as racial diversity. And his case against the bigotry of the BNP might be even stronger had he not caved into pressure and got the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement booted out of his cathedral last year. Of course the BNP are exponentially nastier than the CE's anti-gay lobby, but I just felt I had to get that dig in. [/tangent]

quote:
...in the light of such efforts by Jews, Muslims Christians and then ogoing internal debates over issues of gender and sexuality being carried on by at least some members of each of these faiths, can anyone legitimately deny, on the basis of their faith alone, any follower of these religions a voice in public debate on such issues and their expression in political parties?

No Jerry, I cannot deny them a voice. I appreciate your links as well, and gave them a good scanning. They all have excellent records and reputations and I would never silence any of them.

But I would ask all of them in churches that deny ordination to women and gays, "Do you criticize your own church as roundly for sexism as you condemn segregationist political parties for racism?" If they answer "Of course I do," then I would not call them hypocritical or in a weak position. If they answer "Of course I don't: as my church says, God never intended women or gays to be priests," then I say, "I think you are being hypocritical and in no position to criticize segregation, although I welcome your support anyway. You might want to rethink your position on sex in light of your position on race."

If i thought sex and race were at all comparable, JimT, I might do so. But I don't.

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
If i thought sex and race were at all comparable, JimT, I might do so. But I don't.

If you're up for it, may I ask you to post your thoughts on the other thread? I'd be interested in your thoughts in light of all the discussion there.

Which other thread?

The one entitled "Do official sexist...etc." started by me. I see this morning that Josephine posted on it.

© Ship of Fools 2016