Thread: Purgatory: Post-modern Metanarratives Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001063

Posted by AB (# 4060) on :

On a post-modern tangent on the "Does Jesus want churches?" thread, Fr Gregory asked:

quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:
Are there many gospels since there is no one universal meta-narrative?

Which I guess begs the question about whether the Post-Modern Position™ is that there is no one universal meta-narrative. Personally I think there is absolute truth and thus there is a meta-narrative out there that must be the one true one...

...however, I am not sure that anyone down here can possess such a perfect truth.

Do I think the Christian meta-narrative is truer than the alternatives? Yep, but I also accept that this is very much:

#1 on the back of my culture and upbringing
#2 a matter of faith, based on my experiences

Am I then right to claim that my meta-narrative is any more truer than my neighbour's?

But, to return to the original question. Are there many gospels because there are many meta-narratives? My answer would be no. The world needs the saving grace of Jesus -- in my eyes it is the solution the world needs.

I long for the day that my friends would share my worldview - but I do think there is a more honest way of that happening than me claiming truth when I don't explicitly know it to be truth and with me helping to guide my friends to truth rather than insist I'm right and they are wrong.

Let the systematic distruction of post-modern thought begin! [Biased]

AB

[ 01. February 2004, 17:35: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posted by Fr. Gregory (# 310) on :

Dear AB

Gong! I'm sorry but you're not a postmodernist. Your'e a non-judgemental Christian. There is a difference.

Well, I'm not sure that the post-modern club is strictly defined, but to be fair, it's all just labels anyway. Not every post-modernist thinker aschews all absolute truth and sees all truths as equally valid (Polanyi)

That said, moving from modernity (we can understand, we possess truth) to post-modernity (we can't necessarily understand, we don't necessarily possess truth) is a journey I have made, and so find the term post-modern to be helpful).

I would also agree with you that being post-modern and non-judgemental are different: one may be a concious decision to be tolerant inspite of an explicit difference in truth claims (non-judgmental), whilst the other asserts that there is some validity in alternative approaches and that one does not necessarily possess a truth any 'truer' (if that makes sense). I'm most certainly in the latter.

Thus my approach to the gospel would be much more presenting and sharing my worldview with someone, rather than explicitly telling them that there is truth, I possess it, the truth they think they have is wrong and that they must convert.

A much deeper issue would be, do we need to convince someone of absolute (and knowable) truth to be able to convince someone of the gospel of Jesus...

AB

quote:
A much deeper issue would be, do we need to convince someone of absolute (and knowable) truth to be able to convince someone of the gospel of Jesus...

No, they simply have to be loved.

[Overused]

Indeed

AB

Posted by Ophelia's Opera Therapist (# 4081) on :

I agree that loving someone is far more important than convincing them of the truth of a meta-narrative.

I'm not sure about someone having their own meta-narrative. I'd rather say that society and the powers that be have dictated meta-narratives over the years which a more post-modern attitude is now rejecting. We don't just believe the history books any more. We question what the media are telling us and we look for the truth behind the news stories. And people are rejecting religion that they might have believed 'because the church or the state told them to', and looking for something that seems 'real to them'.

The fact that there are four gospels actually works with post-modern ideas in a way, because they are presented a four different people's takes on the events in the life of Jesus and are actually more convincing as historical documents for the different emphases and slight differences. It's not like 'The Church' is saying - 'this is the truth you must believe it', instead different people's accounts have been recorded and preserved. Not that 'The Church' hasn't tried that line, historically, but the mix of stories and histories that make up church tradition allow a multiplicity of approaches to Christianity, as this site shows.

I said on some other thread that effective evangelism involves sharing your story about how your faith is important to you. If you are excited about it that will make it interesting and attractive. But there needs to be some respect for other people's stories too.

OOT

Forgive me but I didn't think that postmodernism was simply a matter of questioning authority and non-conformity. If that is the case then I am certainly postmodern. I don't believe because someone or something tells me to and I certainly treat much of what goes for news reporting as social manipulation. No, I thought postmodernism was saying that there is no story we can all believe ... in other words, ONE that is universally believable; not that one MUST believe it but that believing it is a credible position.

(apologies for the long post, but I thought it'd be good to try and explain post-modernism a bit!)

Postmodernism is a slippery fish to describe. In it's essence it is a reaction against modernism and it has it roots in the existentialism of the early 20th century (Satre, Nietzsche)

A good way to understand it is to consider the changes from the 'medieval' worldview (roughly~ circa 700 - 1400) to the 'modern' worldview (roughly~ circa 1600-1950). Several things drove the change (which probably happened over a few hundred years):

#1 the feudal system of goverment with divinely appointed monarchs was challenged with revolution after revolution, as corrupt rulers were exposed and the masses rebelled.
#2 the printing press gave everyone access to literature and important scientific journals. Truth was no longer a sole possession of the institution, but now of the individual.
#3 as understanding in science and theology grew, the birth of rationalism with the prospect of understanding everything was birthed by the enlightenment. Truth could be reasoned and understood by all.
#4 The industrial revolution created a culture which needed to be localised and synchronised to be affected. Thus cities grew and public 'services' grew up to support it.
#5 The reformation and counter-reformation put truth on the agenda in Christianity. Each side possessed the Truth, which they 'knew' to be True. One must be right, and it was they.

Thus we ended up with modernism, with it's individualistic, rationalistic philosophy (Descartes, Spinoza, Kant etc.), it's literate communication and it's localised and syncronised culture.

However, the last 50 years has heralded many changes in such a short space of time that the recent generations are facing a massive change to their worldviews. The change from mediavalism to modernity happened over centuries - post modernism is happening in about 50. The changes accelerating these things cover the same points above:

#1 Globalisation is replacing the old order of political empires, colonies and mono-cultural rule - were are becoming fragmented, plurarlistic and market driven.
#2 Communication is changing, we are mobile, we are 'connected' via the internet. Communication is now interactive rather than static. With a multitude of truth claims available, truth is now found within the community rather than the individual.
#3 developments in science and philosophy have led us away from rationalism. Quantum mechanics mean truth we previously took for granted (Newton's laws, for example) no longer hold true. More and more scientists are asking why, rather than how - an answer science can't provide.
#4 As communication changes, we are becoming a post-industrial culture. No longer do we need to be localised to work effectively. A global market means synchronisation is also no-longer a priority - shifts, telecommunication, service industries are changing the way culture reacts to the workforce. Hence 24 hour supermarkets, automated banking and internet shopping.
#5 As pluralism becomes king in our culture Truth is once again in the spotlight with religion. With faith viewed as a choice, faith needs to have virtue and authenticity rather than a better propositional foundation. With an underlying cultural of modernity imbedded into Christianity now, propostionalism is still seen as key to authentic belief, causing a philosophical clash.

Thus, our culture is spiralling into an alternative world-view. Not better, not worse, just different. And because it is happening so fast, the change between a few generations is noticeable. Thus the young struggle to understand the old, and the old the young, thus the spiral becomes bigger as both cultures retreat into the safety of their own worldviews.

But, post-modernism is here to stay, and it is just as much an intruder to Christianity as modernism was to the medieval Christianity.

The last one heralded a reformation. Will this one do the same? We'll have to wait and see.

AB

Dear AB

I am aware of that historical background and all too acutely in the context of a post-Catholic, post-Protestant, but not post-Orthodox western culture.

I still don't know whether you have shown or refuted my claim that postmodernism denies the possibility of one knowable universal metanarrative. If it doesn't, then it cannot accommodate the gospel.

Dear Fr Gregory,

Post-modernism doesn't have a set outlook on absolute truth. There are thinkers within the post-modern framework who would follow a more Neitzschian philosophy into nihilism and deny all absolute truth.

Others such as Polanyi, Foucault, etc. do not follow that through, but instead set up a framework for doubt and criticism.

True nihilism will reject any truth claim, postmodernism will try to deconstruct the claim of any controlling factors.

Therefore I would say that nihilism is likely to reject a propositional gospel, yes. But post-modernism not necessarily so.

[digression]Some would argue that it is impossible to live a truly nihilistic life, so the arguement is rather too hypothetical to be of practical use[/digression]

Hope that helps,

AB

Posted by Isaac David (# 4671) on :

Dear AB, Fr Gregory

Perhaps I can intervene here... [Big Grin]

Have you read Truth Decay by Douglas Groothuis? It deconstructs postmodernism quite nicely - although from an evangelical Protestant point of view (it is published by IVP, afetr all), but there isn't a great deal to object to from TheOrthodoxPosition™

Isaac David

Dear Isaac David

I am only going onm hearsay and quotable quotes to be honest. I haven't gone into postmodernism in any depth so I need to attend to that.

Posted by Timothy (# 292) on :

I'd suggest that a minimalist definition of postmodernism is that it asserts that everything that is apprehended is apprehended from some perspective and conditioned by that (historical, cultural, psychological) perspective. Therefore the modernist quest for the "objective" view--the perspective so transcendent that it ceases to be a perspective at all but is simply the direct apprehension of "Truth"--is futile, and the attempt to assert such an absolute perspective is an exercise of power rather than anything else.

That absolute perspective is sometimes called (generally by non-theistic postmodernists) the "God's-Eye View." Which raises interesting questions from a theistic perspective.

Timothy

Dear Isaac David,

As a postmodern, I'm naturally sceptical of things written 'with an agenda' [Smile] But I will try and hunt it out.

There is a lot of resistance to postmodernism within evangelical circles because of the highly modernistic approach of many strands of evo faith, which renders it incompatible with postmodern thought.

Whether that need be the case is another discussion, though perhaps an interesting direction for this conversation?

AB

Posted by psyduck (# 2270) on :

Charles Lemert offers a very interesting threefold classification of post-modern and postmodern thought in his book Postmodernism is Not What You Think which is briefly covered here. Lemert's book is very accessible, and possesses a certain extra interest inasmuch as Lemert is ordained - as an Episcopalian if I remember rightly. He's very sensible and humane.

Another somewhat different classification of postmodernisms is offered by Pauline Rosenau - it's briefly covered here where there's a lot of other stuff on PoMo. Her book is called Post-modernism and the Social Sciences. She divides postmodern approaches into affirmatives and skeptics: skeptics
quote:
argue that the post-modern age is one of fragmentation, disintegration, malaise, meaninglessness, a vagueness or even absence of moral parameters and societal chaos… In this period no social or political 'project' is worthy of commitment.
(Rosenau, p. 15)
quote:
The "affirmatives" are a still more nebulous category. More indigenous to Anglo-North American culture than to the Continent, the generally optimistic affirmatives are oriented toward process. They are either open to positive political action, struggle and resistance) or content with the recognition of visionary, celebratory personal nondogmatic projects that range from New Age religion to New Wave life-styles and include a whole spectrum of post-modern social movements. (Rosenau, pp. 15-16*)
There's a fair old difference, eh no?

And there's always the point to be made that post-modernity, if not postmodernity, is where we are whether we like it or not. Maybe we should be clear that some of us are approaching our Christianity from a postmodern direction and others vice-versa.

Posted by Singleton (# 3256) on :

There's also a difference between 'postmodernism' and 'postmodernity'. The former is the worldview and the latter is the cultural expression of those values the worldview brings.

I think the reason evangelical Christianity is so hostile to postmodernism is because: a) most people can't be bothered to understand it, b) individuals believe and fear that seeing it as helpful (there is defnitely an open-ness to religion within postmodernity, if not postmodernism) would negate their own position and c) they fear that it might actually be a lot more helpful to care about people from a human, subjective stance rather than an objective, "THIS IS THE TRUTH AND I WON'T BUDGE!" standpoint.

I personally think there are definitely elements of postmodernism that Christians should reject, but much of what it says about freedom and choice (and some other parts) should be affirmed by influential Christians, particularly evangelicals...

I think the hostility to postmodernism is largely to do with notion that within postmodernism absolute truth is no-longer valid. If an evo faith is founded on the concept of absolute truth that many need to realise before they are 'saved' - and indeed, an absolute moral code to be followed, than anything that attacks this assumption is thus attacking their faith.

I know this, because I've had to sit through a few sermons attacking post-modern thought by people who haven't read more than the back of a cereal packet about what postmodernism is. [Roll Eyes]

But hey, more and more people are realising that this isn't going to go away, and my church, in particular is starting to investigate methods of evangelism towards postmoderns. Mind you, they are coming from the point of view of us (moderns) reaching out to them (postmoderns) - which I feel is rather neglecting the postmoderns within the church already. But whacanyado? [Roll Eyes]

AB

AB:
quote:
Mind you, they are coming from the point of view of us (moderns) reaching out to them (postmoderns) - which I feel is rather neglecting the postmoderns within the church already.
Worse than that, it's a stance which would (will?) doom their church to death in 7 years. I agree with you completely. The postmodern is a wave. You can build defences and watch as the tsunami pulverizes them - or you can ride up and surf.

Posted by TheGreenT (# 3571) on :

indeed [Big Grin]

What does a postmodern Christmas look like then?

psyduck,

quote:
Worse than that, it's a stance which would (will?) doom their church to death in 7 years.
I agree entirely, but I simply don't know what to do about it. Their whole faith structure is woven deep with modernity and they can't see it for the imposter it is. For them, faith and practise has to be justified rationally and they are therefore unable to be flexible in areas that many post-moderns might need (be them in the church or out). To them it is softening the gospel for the sake of culture, and thus something to be faught against.

Factories like UCCF and the Evo Proc trust are churning out a bunch of new leaders embroiled in modernism too, so it's unlikely that postmodern leaders will break through any time soon - so must we break out, or pray for a change from within? Hmmmmmm

Singleton,

Check out "A New Kind of Christian" by Brian D. McLaren for a good exploration into post-modern christianity (and explained in quite a novel way!).

AB

Singleton:
quote:
What does a postmodern Christmas look like then?

This one! [Biased]

AB:
quote:
I agree entirely, but I simply don't know what to do about it. Their whole faith structure is woven deep with modernity and they can't see it for the imposter it is. For them, faith and practise has to be justified rationally and they are therefore unable to be flexible in areas that many post-moderns might need (be them in the church or out). To them it is softening the gospel for the sake of culture, and thus something to be faught against.

Sounds just like the dear old C of S!!! My own position is that, if you like, metanarrative and trust are diametrically opposed. Metanarratives are the stories we tell to convince ourselves that we possess the truth. If we believe that faith is accepting a particular metanarrative - if we model our Christian faith on the kind of faith that scientistic, positivistic people have in science - then we're in deep trouble because the only way to maintain that sort of faith now is to be in deep denial about the relationship between that faith and what life's like. Oddly enough, though, it seems to me that faith-as-trust is more available to people in the last ten years tan it has been for several centuries (even though devout people have never stopped believing this way). I think that trust involves riding the wave while believing that God is bigger than the wave. Much bigger. But that it's this particular wave that we have to cope with at the moment. Local and global, man! Way to go! [Cool]

And don't worry about the 'leadership', and their power-neuroses. Jesus didn't.

Posted by Glenn Oldham (# 47) on :

I believe that it was Lyotard who defined postmodernism as 'incredulity towards metanarratives.'

But it seems to me that the appropriate response to metanarratives is not incredulity but critical understanding.
Glenn

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

A good Ricoeurian answer. [Smile]

Posted by Jeff Featherstone (# 4811) on :

quote:
Originally posted by AB:
psyduck,

quote:
Worse than that, it's a stance which would (will?) doom their church to death in 7 years.
I agree entirely, but I simply don't know what to do about it. Their whole faith structure is woven deep with modernity and they can't see it for the imposter it is. For them, faith and practise has to be justified rationally and they are therefore unable to be flexible in areas that many post-moderns might need (be them in the church or out). AB
What exactly do you mean by that? Can you give some examples?

Christianity shares with post-modernism the fact that being a Christian has to be more than abstract knowledge. It has to be by a relationship with God. Christianity also cannot be imposed-no one at the end of the day can make anyone beleive something they don't really believe. However where Christianity and postmodernism part company is in the concept of truth. God and all the truths about Him and the way He made the world and mankind to operate are true even if no one believed them.

Whilst it is clearly preferably from any person's perspective to be doing something because we understand the reasoning for it, there are times in our Christian walk where we don't understand something but we still need to obey God i.e. if someone has wronged me or hurt me in a major way, the last thing I may feel like doing is forgiving that person but I, calling upon God for his mercy and power, still need to choose to do so. The fact that I feel hurt and do not feel like forgiving does not make it legitimate not to forgive. There is a commonality with postmodernism in that forgiveness is a choice. However the difference from postmodernism is that to choose not to forgive is not right or 'true'. If I cannot forgive, the response should not be to legitimise my own actions by saying 'I am being true to myself, therefore it is OK not to forgive'. The response needs to be to call upon God for forgiveness for my own hardness of heart and for His strength to make the right choice.

Not disagreeing with Amos about the quality or affinities of your post, Glenn Oldham, but it's worth making the point, perhaps, that the (undeniably - and quintessentially! - postmodernist) book in which Lyotard says this is called "The Postmodern Condition." My understanding of what he's saying is that for our contemporaries, metanarratives have become incredible - and everything changes accordingly. That's the light in which I read the OP. In a sense, postmodernism aside, postmodernity is where we all are, and I agree very much with AB that some traditions are flogging dead metanarratives with zeal. I also think that they are encouraged in this because they confuse the undoubted success they have in drawing people in with what they assume is their success in getting across their own metanarrative Christianity.

An interesting little diagnostic of this - I've had very close acquaintance, in a pastoral capacity, with five places in which Alpha has been run. In all five, people hae thoroughly enjoyed Alpha to the extent that - dig this - they've wanted to do it again! I don't think that's because they want to beef up on the metanarrative! I think it's because of the sense of warmth, belonging and excitement that Alpha generatied for them. I'd say that a good half of each group were among the most whimsically, engagingly and hair-raisingly unorthodox and 'new-agey' Christians I meet! None of them understands Alpha to be promulgating an orthodoxy that they need to be able to conform to. And I'd say that they're fairly representative. Incredulity towards metanarratives isn't just down to a (non-)Ricoeurian 'hermeneutics of suspicion'. It's just where people are. Its an "Oooh! Shiny!" hermeneutics. Bless them! Even the most innately intelligent people are susceptible to this nowadays. And one of the distressing things is the way in which metanarrative-steeped Christianity hates and despises them for it. Because - of course - it feels (and is) deeply threatened by all this. How do we expect to get anywhere with people, though, if we can't love them as they are?

Jeff Featherstone:
quote:
However where Christianity and postmodernism part company is in the concept of truth. God and all the truths about Him and the way He made the world and mankind to operate are true even if no one believed them.
That's a thoroughly Enlightenment-modern view of the truth of Christianity! Karl Jaspers put the question - was Galileo justified in recanting before the Inquisition? And his answer was - yes. What he'd seen through his telescope - phases of Venus (so it went round the sun, not the earth) and Jupiter's satellites (a potential model of the earth going round the sun) were independently verifiable truths, which any astronomer could encounter again by repeating the procedure. According to Jaspers, Galileo would have been mad to have dies for a scientific truth. Any tyrant who dooms you to death for asserting that water boils at 100 degrees c at sea level has no purchase on scientific truth, and you can safely wait for his insanty to pass away, knowing that future scientists will always be able to re-establish scientific truth. (Actually, I think water boiling at 100 degrees etc. is probably a tautology, but you know what I mean...) Whereas when Polycarp of Smyrna was martyred for the Christian faith in 155AD, he was dying for a truth of a different order, one that is bound up with our human living in such a way that - like harbouring Jews from the SS - it has to be known, believed, lived and died at each point in history. The idea that the Gospel could be just as true if no-one believed it is frankly potty. Even if you reduce its scope to "God and all the truths about Him and the way He made the world and mankind to operate..." you need something like Paul's idea of the law written in the hearts of Gentiles, so that they are 'a law unto themselves' - otherwise there's nothing to make mankind operate in the way God made them to operate - if you see what I mean. I think there's real confusion between "Belief in" and "Belief that" in this way of looking at things.

(I think, for the same reason, that it's a part of the internal logic of the Christian faith, that the Church cannot contemplate her own historic end before the parousia - otherwise Christianity in the present falls apart. Memory is a complex theme in postmodernism! But that's another thread - and maybe it's Fr/ G's thread on amnesia and ... er... stuff... er... I forget...)

Thanks for your illuminating posts Psyduck. I need all the help I can get with understanding postmodernism and postmodernity. About once a year I read a book on it and think that I have learned a bit, but then it all slips away.

Part of my annoyance is that I feel that it tends to be assumed these days that you are either a postmodernist or a modernist. But I don't feel that I am either. Modernists are portrayed as not just aspirers towards truth but as those who claim to possess it, but that surely is a travesty. I wouldn't know where to put C. S. Peirce, for example, and his view of truth as the "limit towards which endless investigation would tend to bring scientific belief" in this dichotomy.

Likewise I have been much moved by Wilfred Cantwell Smith's distinction between faith and mere belief (where the latter is intellectual assent to a proposition) and his insistence that it is faith not belief that is the primary quality we need, yet at the same time retaining an immense commitment towards integrity in intellectual and scholarly pursuits. I wouldn't know which side of the dichotomy to put him either.

G

Psyduck, Unless I've missing the point you're making, I think you've misunderstood what I meant. Clearly some truths are more worth dying for than others (although whether it is justifiable to lie about what you believe when faced with torture is a different question) and there are times when the church has been plainly wrong in what it believed-such as with whether the sun orbits the earth. However even on those occeasions the fact that earth rotates around the earth was the truth (and so God's truth) regardless of what anyone believed. My point was that what is truth cannot change according to what I and anyone else believes or feels. Our understanding of truth may change but the truth was still the truth even before any of us understood what that truth was.

Glenn Oldham:
quote:
I wouldn't know where to put C. S. Peirce, for example, and his view of truth as the "limit towards which endless investigation would tend to bring scientific belief" in this dichotomy.
If you want to confuse yourself stll further, in a sumptuous way, about this dichotomy, spend a Christmas book token on a book called The Metaphysical Club by Louis Menand. Peirce (and his formidable dad!!!) feature largely in it, as do William James, Oliver Wendell Holmes and of course Dewey. I came away from it really ashamed of my ignorance of the American intellectual tradition (and the condescension inbred into peoople from this side of the Atlantic) and with a far better understanding of the American philosophical mind-set. But I also came away with the feeling that the roots of philosophical postmodernism are more widespread, and go back further, than I had thought.

Jeff Featherstone:
quote:
My point was that what is truth cannot change according to what I and anyone else believes or feels.
I do appreciate that, but that's not actually what you said. And since the truth about God's relationship with me is partly to be found in my relationship to God, and partly also in the way in which my relationship to God is lived out in my relationship to other people, it does actually make a profound difference what I know, and wht I believe. For God to love a universe in which his love is utterly unknown is a very different thing from his loving a universe in which there is a Church to know, respond to and preach that love. What you actually said was
quote:
God and all the truths about Him and the way He made the world and mankind to operate are true even if no one believed them.
- and I just can't agree with that.

Anyway, it'll be Christmas day before I get back to this PC - so have a blessed Christmas, and everone else out there likewise.

Jeff,

Echoing psyduck above earlier, I think you are coming from the modernist mindset, where faith and conduct is about propositional truths. "The truths of God" would prompt the postmodern to say, I accept that there are truths about God, but I dispute your claim to have them all. They will deconstruct the 'simple undisputable truths of God" and ask:

#1 Since much of our understanding is influenced by our culture, why must that understanding then be fixed for another culture? (metanarrative)
#2 How do you know your version of truth is correct? How is your 'flavour' of faith more 'true' than anothers?
#3 Where is your authority placed, and what corrupting influences are there on that authority? Has that authority been earnt or been assumed?
#4 What are the fruits of such truths? Is it virtous to accept them too?

To give you an example of this conflict, let me give you some hypothetical discussions between a modernist Christian and a postmodern.

Christian: You must accept the truths about God even if you don't understand them because God is God and you are His creation.
Postmodern: How do you know the truths about God?
C: From the Word of God, the Bible.
P: How do you know that it can be trusted?
C: Because it is the Word of God, divinely given to us by God
P: But how do we know that?
C: Because it tells us so, and communities of believers have believed as we believe
P: But what if the Bible is wrong, wouldn't that invalidate it's claim to be trusted, since you could no longer believe its claim to authority?
C: But it is God's Word
P: How do you know?
C: etc...

P: How do you know your understanding of truth is correct, when other flavours of faith in Christianity disagree about this or that point?
C: It's simple, it says here....
P: But group X believes this and group Y believes that from the same subject matter - how are you sure you are right and they are wrong?
C: We have reasoned and understand it.
P: But haven't group X and Y reasoned also?
C: Yes but their reasoning was wrong and ours is right
P: How do you know?
C: Because we have reasoned and understand it.
P: But haven't group X and Y reasoned also?

P: But hasn't believing what you have believed caused people to justify horrendous actions in the past?
C: Yes, but they weren't true Christians, we now know that these things were wrong.
P: But don't you still justify certain controversial stands now, just as they did then?
C: Yes, but have reasoned and understand the truths of God.
P: But didn't they think that back then?
C: Yes, but they were incorrect in their assumptions and understanding.
P: But how do you know that your are not incorrect in your assumptions and understanding now?
C: Because we have reasoned and understand the truths of God.
P: But didn't they think that back then?

What this is trying to illustrate is fighting postmodernism with modernism simply won't work, every discussion will end up in a circular argument. What is important to realise is that this is honest questioning, very often our modernist claims to truth are based on faith, which is no bad thing, but if we accept that, then we can no longer peddle our truth as the Truth. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that boldly claiming truth when we do not explicitly know it to be so, is bearing false witness to our neighbours. The only trouble being that the modernist is liable to think that his truth claim is Truth while the postmodern has deconstructed it and knows it to not be the case.

I guess a follow up question will be about how we can verify any truth within Christianity, though this question is still, again, born of the modernist framework, but I would suggest that the answer to this has to do with the embodiment of truth rather that the proposition of truth, but I'll save that for another post!

[Smile]

AB

C.S. Peirce, as I recall, regarded himself as a species of Scotian Realist.

quote:
Its an "Oooh! Shiny!" hermeneutics.
[Killing me] Thanks Psyduck. Sums up our age and how we have to make the Christian faith look to those on the outside.

If you're sceptical of what I just said, you really ARE a modernist.

AB: I'll check out some more McLaren...was very impressed with "Finding Faith". [Cool]

[ 25. December 2003, 02:35: Message edited by: Singleton ]

quote:
Originally posted by AB:
Jeff,
Echoing psyduck above earlier, I think you are coming from the modernist mindset, where faith and conduct is about propositional truths.
To give you an example of this conflict, let me give you some hypothetical discussions between a modernist Christian and a postmodern. ...

And here again I am confused! Your dialogue could just as well be described as between a fundamentalist and a ratinalist! In other words between someone who is pre-modern (postmodernists tend to see fundamentalists as pre-modern rather than modern) and a (postmodernists tend to see rationalists as modernists).

Another source of confusion for me AB is that if you pick up a book such as Classical Modern Philosophers you will find it is about Enlightenment philospophers such as Hume, Kant, Locke, and so on. These are, you suggest in an earlier post, modernists. But they would never dream of arguing in the way that the fundamentalist Christian does in your dialogue and whom you label as a modernist.

And now for a bireif note on the issue of truth.
It seems to me that Jeff is simply saying that {what the universe is actually like} is in a great part independent of {what we think the universe is like}. And that {what the universe is actually like} is the truth that we seek to discover and articulate in our theories (in {what we think the universe is like}).

This seems entirely sane and sensible to me, unlike the grandiosity of some postmodernist views whereby you really do 'create your own reality' in an unashamedly cosmic way. In contrast with this postmoderny view it seems clear to me that there are things about the universe which we are subject to and which we cannot create or change ourselves.

Such a view of truth does not commit Jeff to the view that Christianity is purely or even primarily a matter of belief i.e. intellectual assent to propositions.

My main loathing of much postmodernism is that it seems to be intellectually lazy. If there is no such thing as truth then intellectual enquiry is a sham and we can just play games instead. I find this morally bankrupt and intellectually bankrupt as well. Whether something better can be salvaged from the insights of postmodernism is something that I would be interested to find out.
G

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Oldham:
quote:
Originally posted by AB:
Jeff,
Echoing psyduck above earlier, I think you are coming from the modernist mindset, where faith and conduct is about propositional truths.
To give you an example of this conflict, let me give you some hypothetical discussions between a modernist Christian and a postmodern. ...

And now for a bireif note on the issue of truth.
It seems to me that Jeff is simply saying that {what the universe is actually like} is in a great part independent of {what we think the universe is like}. And that {what the universe is actually like} is the truth that we seek to discover and articulate in our theories (in {what we think the universe is like}).

This seems entirely sane and sensible to me, unlike the grandiosity of some postmodernist views whereby you really do 'create your own reality' in an unashamedly cosmic way. In contrast with this postmoderny view it seems clear to me that there are things about the universe which we are subject to and which we cannot create or change ourselves.

Such a view of truth does not commit Jeff to the view that Christianity is purely or even primarily a matter of belief i.e. intellectual assent to propositions.

G

Exactly. Thanks for putting it a lot clearer than I was putting it myself!

Jeff, Glenn,

Indeed - classical modern philosophers would never argue in the way that I have (albeit crudely) illustrated, but Christians in the mordern mind set have, and I'm sure will continue to argue in those very ways. The enlightenment philosophers and their thinking have paved the way to where we are now, popular culture has never matched their actual thinking though.

The illusion of modernity was that everything could be understood and described, the illusion of post-modernity will almost certainly be that nothing can. Both are I'm sure quite wrong, so I think both of us are arguing for the right things.

However I stick to my point that if someone says fact X is True for everyone, that they had better illustrate with something demanding authority that this is so. This simply doesn't happen with many classical propositions within Christianity, which start from a base assumption accepted acritically that is left unexamined but allowed to drive all further arguments. If a good feature of post-modernism is that it stops that kind of lazy thinking, than that is unequivocally a GoodThing™

Glenn, if I have been guilty of over generalising the modern mindset, then I feel you do a similar injustice with post-modern thinking. Many post-moderns I know are intellectually hungry for the truth, often searching much harder and longer than equivelents I know who see the world differently. Far from being lazy they will analyse and critique most truth claims often more than they should. That there is fault in this is not in doubt. However there is more spiritual hunger in the younger generations than has ever been before.

On the subject of truth - I think we both agree about your definition, but I think you over generalise the post-modern position. It is simply that we cannot move to a influence-neutral position to understand and explain said truth, not that truth does not exist and that we should not strive for it. The modern says truth is knowable, the postmodern says that this is not //necessarily// so.

Hope this helps,

AB

(apologies for lack of philisophical quotage, but I'm at home for Christmas and away from my books and stuff!)

Posted by Magnum Mysterium (# 3418) on :

quote:
Originally posted by AB:
As a postmodern, I'm naturally sceptical of things written 'with an agenda' [Smile] But I will try and hunt it out.

But postmodernists realise that nothing is ever written without an agenda (conscious or otherwise)! Of course, this does not mean that "anything goes" on a practical level. But one cannot just read the things one agrees with and call them "unbiased".

Postmoderns also see each "text" as having many readings. There could be very many different meanings in a text that the original author didn't even intend. Now how does THAT change concepts of biblical interpretation?! [Eek!]

Singleton: I think it helps us get beyond the impasse of "The Bible says..." versus "Linguistic evidence renders it improbable that Colossians was written by Paul, but much of his thought..." I think it turns Biblical scholarship into fascinating strands of commentary on a text, to which we can attend, but without absolutizing it into a metanarrative of "what the Bible is" - which provokes the conservative metanarrative of "what the Bible really is". It helps us to attend to the text in lived encounter - and to be happy with the fact that "in the providence of God" - and I mean that most sincerely (though non-metanarratively!) folks! - the central things of our faith are mediated to us by these texts. I find that my sermons are littered with things like "The Jesus of John says..." or "The Paul of I Corinthians says..." and it doesn't sound at all unnatural to me - or mny congregation, I think.

It also allows us to see the way in which truth works in Scripture. Truth on a particular issue, for instance, isn't wholly contained in a particular proposition in Leviticus. Truth is what we encounter as we read. What we're led into all of, by the Holy Spirit.

psyduck,

[Overused]

AB

quote:
Originally posted by AB:
The illusion of modernity was that everything could be understood and described, the illusion of post-modernity will almost certainly be that nothing can. Both are I'm sure quite wrong, so I think both of us are arguing for the right things.

However I stick to my point that if someone says fact X is True for everyone, that they had better illustrate with something demanding [providing? G.O.] authority that this is so. This simply doesn't happen with many classical propositions within Christianity, which start from a base assumption accepted acritically that is left unexamined but allowed to drive all further arguments. If a good feature of post-modernism is that it stops that kind of lazy thinking, than that is unequivocally a GoodThing™

Glenn, if I have been guilty of over generalising the modern mindset, then I feel you do a similar injustice with post-modern thinking. Many post-moderns I know are intellectually hungry for the truth, often searching much harder and longer than equivelents I know who see the world differently.

Yes, AB, good stuff, I would agree with what you have said in your last post.

Yes, I have over-generalised about postmodernism, taking the more objectionable and extreme parts of it as representative of the whole. I was thinking in particular of those who, for example, deny that language can refer to reality; who say that truth is socially constructed and that this means that any narrative is as good as any other and that claims to knowledge thus all boil down to power.

But the less extreme version says things like 'our current views of gender are not necessarily how the world really is or has to be, our views are culturally and socially developed (or socially constructed, as they say) and need to be examined and changed or abolished so as to remove oppression. This kind of enterprise is vitally important and liberating, but is only liberating if it keeps a concept of truth. Is practice X oppressive or not? If this question is ruled out of court because there is no such thing as truth and that everything is relative then the liberation promised by this approach is lost and unattainable. (Which is why I loathe the obscuratism of the more extreme postmodern gurus.)

Claims to truth need to be critically examined and our means of assessing truth also need to be critiqued. One need not be postmodern to believe this, but perhaps more people think this way nowadays than did in the past.
Glenn

quote:
Originally posted by psyduck:
If you want to confuse yourself stll further, in a sumptuous way, about this dichotomy, spend a Christmas book token on a book called The Metaphysical Club by Louis Menand. Peirce (and his formidable dad!!!) ... I came away from it ... with a far better understanding of the American philosophical mind-set. But I also came away with the feeling that the roots of philosophical postmodernism are more widespread, and go back further, than I had thought

You have mentioned this book before Psyduck. Thanks for mentioning it again. I will seek to so confuse myself!

Actually it's very lucid! The only reason it confuses me is that I find that my understanding of these areas collapses back into convienient and inappropriate little pigeon-holes so easily - and they don't actually fit! I'm actually re-reading a segment of it that deals with C S Peirce at the moment, to remind myself what it says about his own self-classification (partly because of the Christmas Eve post from Amos, above.)

And it also gave me a completely new take on the American Civil Between The States Of Northern Agression War (or whatever we should call it so that we don't offend anyone by our ignorance which, I'm ashamed to say, having read this book, is vaster in my case than I ever imagined) and just how much it did to commend a certain detached relativism to a society that had been torn apart by absolutes.

But I'd hate to give the impression that it's a confusing book. It's not, at all. Well worth a token. Or actual cash.

Posted by Edward::Green (# 46) on :

To wander back to the question:

What makes Christianity a Metanarrative? Surely Christianity is more of a collection of disparate fictions?

Edward::Green:
quote:
What makes Christianity a Metanarrative?
The Reformation? The Magisterium? The sixteenth century generally? Or maybe the seventeenth?

Modernity?

Hmmm...

ALPHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And why not disparate truths?

That triple post was so postmodern and disparate, psyduck. Showy, I call it.

It's just a text. A postmodern text. There's no author to be showy... [Biased]

Posted by J. J. Ramsey (# 1174) on :

quote:

But the less extreme version says things like 'our current views of gender are not necessarily how the world really is or has to be, our views are culturally and socially developed (or socially constructed, as they say) and need to be examined and changed or abolished so as to remove oppression. This kind of enterprise is vitally important and liberating, but is only liberating if it keeps a concept of truth.

That looks less like postmodernism and more like critical realism, the view that there is an external reality and absolute truth, yet recognizes that there is no way that we can be observers of the world without having a framework of presuppositions, values, and controlling stories--in short, a worldview--to make sense of our observations.

Contrast this with modernism, which holds the conceit that one can be a detached observer lacking any presuppositions, standing outside all worldviews. That is a form of naïve realism.

quote:
Originally posted by J. J. Ramsey:
That looks less like postmodernism and more like critical realism,

[Waterworks] Oh no! Wrong a second time!

You are quite possibly correct, J. J.! The reason that I suggested that some postmodernists might hold such views came from AB's criticism of my earlier characterisation of postmodernism and from a perusal of the excellent and very readable book on social constructionism by Ian Hacking called The Social Construction of What? (Harvard UP, 1999). From the latter I had gathered that there are those who like the social constructionist approach who do have that kind of critical approach. Others are as barmy and extreme as my earlier description.

Posted by J. J. Ramsey (# 1174) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by J. J. Ramsey:
That looks less like postmodernism and more like critical realism,

[Waterworks] Oh no! Wrong a second time!

Not so sure if you are really wrong per se. At least as expounded by N.T. Wright in The New Testament and the People of God, critical realism seems to be a response and a correction to the postmoderns' excessive reaction (rebellion?) against the naïve realism of modernists. So, AFAICT, postmodernism is part of critical realism's pedigree.

Of course, I could be wrong about that. [Waterworks] Wouldn't be the first time.

quote:
Yes, I have over-generalised about postmodernism, taking the more objectionable and extreme parts of it as representative of the whole. I was thinking in particular of those who, for example, deny that language can refer to reality.

Why should language refer to something in reality? I think you have misunderstood the point here - and also have confused postmodernism with poststructuralism.

Poststructuralism says that a sign cannot refer to a real thing or truth. Signs operate by difference - the meaning of "cat" and "bat" is made by the difference of the sound of one letter, not because there is any inherent "batness" or "catness" about the words "cat" and "bat". I hardly find that "objectionable" or "extreme".

I think Christianity has a meta-narrative. There seems to be a body of literature (the Bible and doctrinal studies by non-biblical authors), a tradition and a reasoned ethic that props up every person's version of Christianity (they may overlap profusely [i.e. most evangelicals [Biased] ], or they may share BUT ONE THING in common [i.e. most Anglicans [Biased] ]). Call me naive, but I think there is a base of Truth, although I think it is scandalous to suggest that we can fully know ALL of the truth at every moment, never mind know ALL of the truth by the end of our lives. I also think Truth abstracted is a very, very dangerous thing and that is why postmodernism is so powerful because it asks Christians to take their abstractions and make them concrete not only in the way they lead their lives, but also in the way they explain, defend and analyse their faith to postmoderns and/or non-Christians...

I don't think we should forget that postmodernism IS a challenge to Christian faith. Which is what we are recognising here.

But is Postmodernism/ity a threat to Christianity? I personally see the chance of breaking Jesus free of a propositional, rational, "we've got his licked" religion a really exciting prospect.

That postmodernism/ity will mean changes for our faith is not really in doubt, but surely it's only a threat if we insist that Chrisitianity is all about propositions and absolute truth - an assumption we should do well to consider carefully.

AB

AB:
quote:
But is Postmodernism/ity a threat to Christianity?
To faith, no. To the institution(s)...

quote:
That postmodernism/ity will mean changes for our faith is not really in doubt, but surely it's only a threat if we insist that Chrisitianity is all about propositions and absolute truth - an assumption we should do well to consider carefully.
Agree with all that, except for the word 'only'. I think we also need a power-analysis in terms of institutions, and the way in which, in modernity, they have exerted power, which has often been through things not unrelated to metanarratives, viz. discourses, which have constructed subjectivity in certain ways. (I think that's where "respectability" fits in.)

And for many people, the survival of Christianity is all about the survival of its institutions and power-structures. That's to say, it's precisely survival that's their model of life, not - to quote Sir Edwin Hoskyns - Crucifixion-Resurrection. (That's what he had put on his gravestone! Just that, his name and dates, if I remember... [Cool] )

Singleton:
quote:
I don't think we should forget that postmodernism IS a challenge to Christian faith.
Again - absolutely. And vice-versa. But I do agree with AB that postmodernity may well prove to be an unexpectedly propitious environment for Christianity. And it's where we are, anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mysterium:
quote:
Yes, I have over-generalised about postmodernism, taking the more objectionable and extreme parts of it as representative of the whole. I was thinking in particular of those who, for example, deny that language can refer to reality.

Why should language refer to something in reality? I think you have misunderstood the point here - and also have confused postmodernism with poststructuralism.

Poststructuralism says that a sign cannot refer to a real thing or truth. Signs operate by difference - the meaning of "cat" and "bat" is made by the difference of the sound of one letter, not because there is any inherent "batness" or "catness" about the words "cat" and "bat". I hardly find that "objectionable" or "extreme".

[Waterworks] Oh no! Wrong a third time!
Sorry, I thought that some of the postmodern gurus were poststructuralists and thought that there was a link there.

The issue of reference is a complicated one and perhaps tangential to this thread. However the fact that it is true that signs 'operate by difference' and that there is no 'inherent "batness" or "catness" about the words "cat" and "bat"' does NOT logically imply that 'a sign cannot refer to a real thing or truth'. Why should it?

Glenn

Because a sign is a culturally imposed thing. An object or truth doesn't know what its name is. Why should it?

quote:
An object or truth doesn't know what its name is.
Or where its boundaries are.

quote:
Because a sign is a culturally imposed thing. An object or truth doesn't know what its name is. Why should it?

But what have those facts got to do with whether or not language can be used to refer to reality?

1) When I say to my friend 'pass the salt, please' I could not care less that the salt doesn't know that it is called 'salt' (in English). All I care about is that my friend knows that it is the salt that I wish him to pass to me rather than the butter or the pepper. And generally speaking saying 'pass the salt, please' works! It is hard to see how it can do so if it does not refer to reality in some way!

2) Some objects do know what they are called. Many human beings, such as myself, know what their names are. But my knowing my name is not what makes it possible for other people to refer to me amongst themselves. They might all refer to me behind my back as 'Mr Recession'. My not knowing it would not prevent others from successfully refering to me in their conversations using this (sadly increasingly accurate) nickname.

Glenn

Posted by Citeaux (# 3255) on :

..sounds very much like that scientific duo 'Heisenberg and his principle' (NOT principal...)
.. Big H argued that the act of observation changes the nature of what is observed.. therefore can there be any absolute..except the search (..or journey, in New Age parlance)?

Posted by Jengie (# 273) on :

I am slightly confused. My understanding is that there is no discussion on whether there is an objective truth, but only whether a subject can know an objective truth. Is it possible so to rule out our culture which is embodied in the very way we see the Universe, that we can truly say we know something objectively?

My personal take is rarely humans do have such truth revealed to them but in the instance of embodying (e.g. telling someone else about it) that truth we move away, albeit imperceptibly, but surely, from that which was revealed.

Thus was are betrayed ultimately in our quest for closure by the very tools we use so often in searching for it.

Jengie

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie:
Is it possible so to rule out our culture which is embodied in the very way we see the Universe, that we can truly say we know something objectively?

My personal take is rarely humans do have such truth revealed to them

I sympathise with the way that you have put this Jengie, but viewed from another angle it is remarkable that so many people seem so extremely doubtful about their ability to know things.

'The world contains animals called cats.'
'I am sitting on a chair.'
'There are stones in my garden.'

I cannot utter these sentences without using my culture to utter them (they are in English, they employ concepts that may be absent from other cultures - such as 'garden'). But why should I doubt that these extraordinarily common views are not objectively true? Why is the attainment of objective truth regarded as such a rare or even impossible acheivement?

What would it mean to say that it is true that from the perspective of my culture there are stones in my garden but from the perspective of culture X there are not stones in my garden? Is it just because Culture X does not have the concept 'stones' or 'garden' then that does not make my statement untrue? It just means that my statement cannot be said in culture X.

I think it's not so much that the truth isn't any less truer, just that you'll have no joy explaining it propositionally to someone who, say, doesn't know about cats or whose concept of cats is radically different*

Show them a cat though, and well, that's a different matter.

* unless they are prepared to take it on faith, but that's a whole different kettle of fish...

Hopefully you can see where I'm leading this idea...

AB

Knowing for me is different from truth. I know a lot, that means I have intellectual models that allow me to charaterise and communicate with others about the signals my brain receives.

I have been taught this system since I was born by those around me and each time I say the word 'cat' or here the word 'cat' my notion of 'cat' and the word 'cat' is changed very slightly. Indeed with the notion of 'cat' that change has been very small for a far back as I can remember though it did change dramatically once when I saw a book that was talking of 'the big cats of the world' and there were pictures of tigers and lions and such. Before then I had considered these different entities to cats now I could see similarities and understand another usage of the word 'cat'. That is what we are doing when we use language we are seeing a specific incident and giving it a label. Those labels are also not set in clear terms, indeed English has a word that has changed from a synomyn for 'white' to one for 'black' because of how it was used.

Given these flexibilities we have a range of knowledge that is culturally formed. I would not like to say it was the only way of forming knowledge that is culturally valid. I was interested to catch on the radio 4 Start the week which was talking to Hugh Brody about his work with the Moo speakers of the Kalahari and how important it was to learn the concepts behind the Moo language because this would tell us how the Bushmen of the Kalahari understood their relationship with the Land and thus help with land claims in the courts for them.

Jengie

[ 29. December 2003, 10:13: Message edited by: Jengie ]

quote:
1) When I say to my friend 'pass the salt, please' I could not care less that the salt doesn't know that it is called 'salt' (in English). All I care about is that my friend knows that it is the salt that I wish him to pass to me rather than the butter or the pepper. And generally speaking saying 'pass the salt, please' works! It is hard to see how it can do so if it does not refer to reality in some way!

You are relying on the fact that your friend has experienced the same cultural background and is able to use elements of a common discourse (ie. the English language, and some courtesies known to both the speakers). It really has nothing to do with 'reality' at all, more to do with the fact that you are both conversant in the same discourses. It is not true that "pass the salt, please" works because each word is inherently true and points to something else - 'reality' or whatever. It works because each of those occupy a place and function as part of a mode of understanding operating purely as part of your culture.

quote:
quote:

You are relying on the fact that your friend has experienced the same cultural background and is able to use elements of a common discourse (ie. the English language, and some courtesies known to both the speakers). It really has nothing to do with 'reality' at all, more to do with the fact that you are both conversant in the same discourses. It is not true that "pass the salt, please" works because each word is inherently true and points to something else - 'reality' or whatever. It works because each of those occupy a place and function as part of a mode of understanding operating purely as part of your culture.
I am utterly baffled again. I just do not see how is this supposed to be a reply. Of course my friend is only going to understand me if he speaks English. Of course his familiarity with that is essential to his being able to pass the salt in response to my request. But that still doesn't explain the question of the interaction with reality that results! I don't have the salt, I speak and ask for it, I get it. Here we have it: language and reality connected! He passed me the salt cellar and not the napkin or a hat! Why on earth say that it has nothing to do with reality at all? How much more real do you want?

And of course a word can't point in and of itself to reality. It can only do so as part of a language, as part of a convention, as part of ways of life. I do not hold to some naive picture theory of meaning! But nor do I subscribe to the idea that the arbitrary nature of the sign is any obstacle to reference as you seem to do (for reasons I still am unable to fathom).

Since your signature flashes your academic credentials MM I will point out that my protests are not unsupported by academics either. Michael Devitt and Kim Sterelny also cannot fathom why some people seem to think that the arbitrary nature of the sign should be taken as an obstacle to reference (see their book Language and Reality An Introduction to Philosophy of Language (2nd edn. Blackwell, 1999).

The next example is silly because I am supposing a culture that as far as I know does not exist. There are however cultures where just such sort of differences exist. I believe the Inuit have forty different names for snow according to its type, texture, formation process and what it can be used for.

Now imagine the person you ask the salt for is from a culture that works only on the external appearance. So ice if it is cracked is different from clear ice. However white crystals are white crystals. Then even though he knows English, he might well infer that salt is a different word for sugar and pass you the sugar instead. He has translated what correctly into his language but has falsely identified the item you are asking for because the culture he belongs to does not distinguish sugar from salt.

Jengie

quote:
I am utterly baffled again. I just do not see how is this supposed to be a reply. Of course my friend is only going to understand me if he speaks English. Of course his familiarity with that is essential to his being able to pass the salt in response to my request. But that still doesn't explain the question of the interaction with reality that results! I don't have the salt, I speak and ask for it, I get it. Here we have it: language and reality connected! [/QB]

Where is language and reality connected? You haven't shown how it is!

You are assuming that "salt" is "salt" no matter what. As Jengie has pointed out, "salt" might be viewed as a cultural construct. Some other culture could easily confuse salt with sugar because their language does not accommodate a distinction between the two. Thus what is "real" to speakers of one language, is not necessarily what is "real" to speakers of another.

[ 30. December 2003, 04:18: Message edited by: Magnum Mysterium ]

I bet their cakes are horrible.

[Biased]

AB

"You are the salt of the earth, Sugar..."

Following this debate reminds me of the story of Arthur Blessitt attending a conference on 'how to win the lost'. Finding himself getting increasingly bored with all the theorising, he walked over the road to a cafe, stuck his head in the door and asked whether anyone wanted to get to know Jesus. A waitress said that she'd been thinking and wondering about God a lot and wanted to know more. After some discussion she chose to become a Christian. Arthur then led her over the road to the conference, took her onto the platform and said 'whilst you've been talking about it, i've been doing it!'

Don't get me wrong. I strongly believe in having a clear understnading for what we as Christians believe and why we do what we do, and debates such as those on this thread are important and healthy. However I think there is a real danger that we get so obsessed with finding the right cultural models and appropriate ways to communicate that we get too scared to open our mouths about our faith at all. Most people are not operating a big filter on who they will talk to, waiting for someone to communicate within their culture-they simply looking for someone to accept them and be their friend. If we are simply willing to be open people who will offer a ready friendship and welcome people into our homes and lives, that will overcome a thousand cultural miscommunications.

That's one perspective, yes, Jeff.

Although, in my own experience, people who have an "objective truth" seem quite hung up on the idea...

quote:
Where is language and reality connected? You haven't shown how it is!

OK, I have been away today and have been unable to post so just a quickie reply for the moment.

My target in my postings is the idea that because names like 'salt' and 'sugar' are arbitrary and conventional they therefore cannot refer to the world or to reality. That simply does not follow. And you still have not come up with anything to show that it does, MM.

The fact that language is a convention does not mean that it is not also shaped by reality. This is because language exists in the context of practice, i.e. in part in the context of doing things in the world. Things like asking for things, telling others how to do things, making things and so on. There may indeed be cultures that lack the equivalent concepts of salt and sugar, but ours has them. Why? Well, in part because some of us like sweet tea or cakes or whatever. As part of our practice of achieving these practical tasks of getting sweet tea and so forth our language picks out a white crystaline substance and labels it 'sugar' and, to aid our practices we lablel another non-sweet white crystaline substance 'salt'. We print the word 'sugar' on bags of the sweet white crystaline substance for ease of getting it when we want it, and 'salt' on the other non-sweet white crystaline substance so we put the right stuff in our tea. That is part of what language is about: making actions easier. But we would be unable to make this distinction and continue with our current practices if there was no real difference between the substances sugar and salt. Reality has thus shaped our conventions. Language is not sealed off from the nature of the world.

The fact that another culture does not have these practices and does not make this kind of distinction does not mean that there is no real difference between sugar and salt. Nor does it mean that the other person would never be able to come to understand our distinction.

Re-reading earlier posts I should also add that I am not arguing that language always refers to reality. I am simply arguing against claims that, because it is true that signs 'operate by difference' and that there is no 'inherent "batness" or "catness" about the words "cat" and "bat", language can never refer to reality.

Why is this important? Because this mistake can lead to a sloppy relativism about truth which is the counter error to dogmatism about what is true.
Glenn

Jeff Featherstone:
quote:
However I think there is a real danger that we get so obsessed with finding the right cultural models and appropriate ways to communicate that we get too scared to open our mouths about our faith at all.
I think that that's a very valid point - but not really at the centre of my interest in the postmodern. I'm actually more interested in the notion of postmodernity than -ism. I think that postmodernisms philosophize in more-or-less useful ways differences in the way in which contemporary people are human.

For instance, Baudrillard's use of the 'simulacrum' - the 'perfect copy for which there is no original' - makes sense of something that I think appalled and horrified all of us when it started, viz. the wave of kids in the US being killed (and several in this country being attacked) by other kids who stole their trainers. There isn't an original Nike Air Jordan in a museum somewhere - or if there is, it isn't 'the' original, but yet another copy. Yet what kids desired, to the point of murder, was Nike Air Jordans.

But if you take Lyotard's classic definition of the postmodern condition as 'incredulity towards metanarratives', and believe that this is how people are nowadays, then the spaces in which people live mentally who trust physics every time they turn on the TV, yet get the feng shui consultant in to their new flat, become more comprehensible. And that's where the Church has to live. I actually think that, once we're through the period in which Christianity is still seen as Yet Another Metanarrative, and ipso facto greeted with incredulity, (and also hated because it's suited modern states for 450 years to hire the Christian God as the "cop in your head" to keep us all in line and socially disciplined, we'll find that we're in a strangely congenial - if in some respects desperately dystopic - world.

The problem is that the non-Catholic, non-Orthodox world is careering down the dead-end of approaches that just exactly do present Christianity as metanarrative, and covertly - or sometimes overtly - present faith as the ability to keep on being credulous towards this metanarrative. Which is an extension of the conservative Protestant approach that faith is the ability to believe seven impossible things before breakfast.

And what's attractive about that particuar ship is simply the numbers of people who are piling on board. That's what makes it look successful.

Ironic, really!

Oh, oh, we haven't had anything on about postmodern irony yet...

quote:
This is because language exists in the context of practice, i.e. in part in the context of doing things in the world. Things like asking for things, telling others how to do things, making things and so on. There may indeed be cultures that lack the equivalent concepts of salt and sugar, but ours has them. Why? Well, in part because some of us like sweet tea or cakes or whatever. As part of our practice of achieving these practical tasks of getting sweet tea and so forth our language picks out a white crystaline substance and labels it 'sugar' and, to aid our practices we lablel another non-sweet white crystaline substance 'salt'. We print the word 'sugar' on bags of the sweet white crystaline substance for ease of getting it when we want it, and 'salt' on the other non-sweet white crystaline substance so we put the right stuff in our tea. That is part of what language is about: making actions easier.

Would that it were that easy. Unfortunately language isn't always that unambiguous. As has been argued on this thread before, signs do not always have such simple interpretations. A sign (a word, a phrase, a text) may be read in many different ways, even if those other readings are quite outside the way in which the author intended. Thus, a phrase like, "Pass me the salt please" may not always be the unambiguous request that we might ascribe on first reading. A simple word like "please" has tied up in it connotations of power and domination. We are taught from a very young age to "remember our manners", we are subject to the domination of a power holding entity - those who claim that "manners" are something "natural" to be taught to children.

But we shouldn't rush to conclude that something we consider "natural" (ie manners) to necessarily constitute that which represents "reality", something universally true across all times. One only need to look back a few hundred years in western history of table conduct to realise that what we consider "normal" is not what our ancestors considered "normal". Thus, your statement "Pass me the salt please" is loaded with YOUR perception of reality as governed by the paradigm to which you subscribe.

quote:
Reality has thus shaped our conventions. Language is not sealed off from the nature of the world.

Your second statement here is quite true - language certainly is not sealed off from the nature of the world. I would go so far as to say that language in fact governs the nature of the world - language has in fact shaped our conventions, which in turn shape that which we consider to be "reality".

Posted by watchergirl (# 5071) on :

I must admit that I've had difficulty following some of this thread as I am definitely not a philosopher. However, as a student and teacher of both literature and language and a former student of critical theory (that didn't last long but started to give me a background in postmodernism and other cultural theories), I've long considered myself a postmodern Christian. Brian McLaren's book 'A New Kind of Christian', which has already been mentioned, helped to crystallise some of my thoughts on what a postmodern Christian might be - though really, I'd guess that postmodern Christianity would be as hard to pin down and categorise as postmodernity itself.

The current debate over homosexuality (which I think many of us believe is really about interpretation of the Bible) is just one manifestation of the conflict between modernism and postmodernism within the church. I think a postmodern theology is already emerging within the Christian church to deal with this. Dave Tomlinson's 'The Post Evangelical' (which I always think needs hyphenating, at the very least) and Gordon Lynch's 'Losing My Religion' are two books that encapsulate the reactions of many Christians to the clash of modernism and postmodernism between the Church - particularly evangelical and Catholic churches - and the secular world.

I'm pretty sure I would have left the Church a long time ago if I hadn't realised that there were others, like Tomlinson, Lynch and in fact many Christians I've met, who not only recognise this clash but would like the Church to change and move beyond it. We're living a reactionary existence at the moment, and I think that's a huge part of why we're failing to engage the culture around it. We should be in the world but not of the world - we're currently not even in it. I think that means that we're failing the postmodern culture in a serious way.

[ 03. January 2004, 12:48: Message edited by: watchergirl ]

Posted by Isaac David (# 4671) on :

I've read this whole thread and I'm none the wiser; I think I understand what postmodernity and postmodernism are, but could somebody explain what a postmodern Christian is? I'd prefer an answer from somebody who considers themselves to belong in such a category.

Isaac David

This reply returns to an earlier posting by Jengie, sorry that it does not directly address Magnum Mysterium's most recent post.

quote:
Now imagine the person you ask the salt for is from a culture that works only on the external appearance. So ice if it is cracked is different from clear ice. However white crystals are white crystals. Then even though he knows English, he might well infer that salt is a different word for sugar and pass you the sugar instead. He has translated what correctly into his language but has falsely identified the item you are asking for because the culture he belongs to does not distinguish sugar from salt.

This is a very reasonable example. Different cultures use different concepts in their talking about the world. What are the implications of that? Some postmodernists have seen the implications as very radical, but are they?

Here is a quote from Susan Haack’s article ‘Reflections on Relativism: From Momentous Tautology to Seductive Contradiction’ (in her book Manifesto of a Passionate Moderate ) (I have put a bit in bold myself; the italics are her own):

quote:
The thesis of conceptual relativity says that how many and what kinds of objects or properties there are is relative to conceptual scheme or vocabulary. But what could it mean to say, “relative to conceptual scheme C1 there are rocks, but relative to conceptual scheme C2 there are not”? It seems to waver unsteadily between the trivial: “you can’t describe the world without describing it” – the momentous tautology of my subtitle – and the manifestly false: “incompatible descriptions of the world can both be true” –the seductive contradiction of my subtitle.

So in Jengie’s example our conceptual scheme C1 has sugar and salt in it, but our visitor from C2 does not. Let’s say that he calls both salt and sugar ‘whikral’.

The momentous tautology in this case is that if he is going to call salt and sugar something then he has to use some term or terms for them. If that is what conceptual relativity says then that is very un-radical.

The seductive contradiction is to suppose that if he calls salt and sugar ‘whikral’ in his conceptual scheme but we call them ‘salt’ and ‘sugar’ then this proves that we both hold [b[incompatible but equally true beliefs[/b] about the world. But this does not follow at all.

For, firstly, we can easily understand the two conceptual schemes as both true and compatible. For us ‘whikral’ can probably be translated into something like ‘white crystals’. If our visitor from C2 accepts that we are picking out real differences between sugar and salt, he may accept that ‘sugar’ should be translated as something like C2 language equivalent of ‘whikral that tastes sweet’ and ‘salt’ as ‘whikral that tastes sea-watery’.

Secondly. we can also understand the two conceptual schemes as incompatible but with one (or both) untrue. Suppose he tells us that his calling both sugar and salt ‘whikral’ is a claim that they are both exactly the same substance. We might say to him, ‘but they taste different, have different degrees of solubility, can be burnt in different ways, have different chemical composition (which we can demonstrate to you).’ In this way he would learn from us how to pick out a difference in the world that he was not previously aware of. He would realise that he was wrong about sugar and salt being exactly the same substance.

But on the other hand He might say to us ‘yes, we know all that, but it is like ice, water and steam. You call ice, water and steam by different names and they have many different qualities, but you know they are all really the same substance - water. Well in the same way we know that salt and sugar are really both whikral.’ If he was able to back this claim up, we might come to learn from him how to pick out a similarity in the world that we were not previously aware of. We might then realise that we were wrong about, say, our atomic theory.

So none of this means that we have to take the view that just because different cultures conceptualise the world in different ways that therefore incompatible descriptions of the world can both be true. On the other hand none of this means that we have a privileged and unassailable conceptual scheme. Our conceptual scheme may face a challenge from others and may need to adapt to new evidence and insights from those other schemes. How securely grounded our scheme is will depend on lots of considerations about evidence, coherence and so on.

Do people with different conceptual schemes live in different worlds, or occupy different realities? In one sense, no they don’t, we all live in the same physical world. In another sense, yes, insofar as conceptual schemes affect the way society is organised, how people behave and so on it does alter reality in all sorts of ways, some mundane, some interesting. I live in a world or in a reality where people drive on the left side of the road and where if anyone begins to speak to me they virtually always do so in English. That quite clearly makes my reality different to that of my counterpart in Paris.

There is nothing especially radical about this except insofar as becoming aware of it challenges us to assess how, and how far, our conceptual scheme might not be as certain and secure as we think it is. Then it can be very challenging indeed.

Glenn

Magnum Mysterium,
I have no objection whatsoever to acknowledging that manners such as saying 'please' are quite clearly matters of convention (and socially constructed, as they say). But our use of 'salt' and 'sugar' are not conventions in the same way. That salt and sugar taste different is not a matter of convention but is a matter of their inherent nature and its interaction with our physiology. Likewise that they have many demonstrably different physical properties is not a result of convention.

That is the point that I was making.
Glenn

Ah yes Glenn

I said it was a silly example but what about colours.

English has seven, Shona has four and Bassa is minimalist with two.

Of course Bassa has the minimal you need but that does not make the others wrong and will effect very much how we see the world.

Jengie

Sorry to double post but this is too gorgeous to miss.

Please read from this posting on on the Hell thread "Can I please just shoot..." and you should give some idea of the complexities postmodernism addresses.

Jengie

quote:
Ah yes Glenn

I said it was a silly example but what about colours.

English has seven, Shona has four and Bassa is minimalist with two.

Of course Bassa has the minimal you need but that does not make the others wrong and will effect very much how we see the world.

Are you using 'see' metaphorically or literally? Tests have been done, I understand, to show that people belonging to these cultures are not sytematically colour blind.

What seems to be the case is that their culture is such that distinguishing as many different colours as we do has no role in their culture. This would not amount to saying that our colour concepts have no basis in reality and are purely conventional and pick out no real differences in the world.

No neither metaphor not reality.

The fact is that colour is a half way house between culture and reality. The whole way I think of colours, the colours of the rainbow, the laws of mixing colours are predicated on my understanding of there being seven colours. The laws of mixing colours say blue and yellow make green etc.

I was taught at school that their could only ever be the seven colours of the rainbow and you could show this by passing light through one prism, through a second prism. The English school child in such circumstances would still only see seven colours. This was a science lesson not a cultural one. A Basso child would of course see a spectrum going from blue to red of which there was only one divider in the middle where it changes from blue to red. There is of course no point in talking of primary colours to the child brought up in Basso. Yet their vision is conceptually to the scientist in me much more accurate.

The fact is the way we see colour is not purely an effect of the rays of light entering our eyes but the culture that surrounds us.

Jengie

quote:
... - language certainly is not sealed off from the nature of the world. I would go so far as to say that language in fact governs the nature of the world - language has in fact shaped our conventions, which in turn shape that which we consider to be "reality".

It is somewhat ambiguous to say that 'language governs the world'. I am assuming that you mean human language rather than God's.

If you mean that human language has an effect on how the world is, then that is clearly true in many ways, some straightforward ('chop that tree down!') some complex (anorexia is an area that springs to mind here). But, of course language is not the only thing that governs the world. I do not need oxygen to live because it is a convention. When the days are very short in the UK they are long in New Zealand, but not by convention. We cannot, alas, by using language, bring my dead cat back to life. That we cannot do so is not a convention of language, a quirk of grammar.

quote:
No neither metaphor not reality.

The fact is that colour is a half way house between culture and reality. The whole way I think of colours, the colours of the rainbow, the laws of mixing colours are predicated on my understanding of there being seven colours. The laws of mixing colours say blue and yellow make green etc.

I was taught at school that their could only ever be the seven colours of the rainbow and you could show this by passing light through one prism, through a second prism. The English school child in such circumstances would still only see seven colours. This was a science lesson not a cultural one. A Basso child would of course see a spectrum going from blue to red of which there was only one divider in the middle where it changes from blue to red. There is of course no point in talking of primary colours to the child brought up in Basso. Yet their vision is conceptually to the scientist in me much more accurate.

The fact is the way we see colour is not purely an effect of the rays of light entering our eyes but the culture that surrounds us.

This is a fascinating point Jengie.

Just a few thoughts largely in the form of questions (but aimed more at myself than you necessarily). What would it mean to say that when one looks at the spectrum one only sees, say, three colours? If you only have three words for colours in your cluture then how would you count more than three? What stops you from saying that there are more than three? Is it that you see the spectrum differently from someone who has more colour words, or is it that you do not have more than three colour words to use? You were told in science class that there were seven colours. But the same science class would now teach that the spectrum is continuous. There are many shades of blue. Paint shops have very many more than seven colours. Do you see the spectrum differently now? Or do you describe it differently? Do you notice things you did not notice before (as one can do with practice and learning). When I was at university I would look at electronmicrographs (photos) of cells. They just looked like bathroom lino to me, all those jumbled lines, but then I learned to see mitochondria and golgi apparatus in the photos. Someone saw them first though, without prior concepts to guide him or her, and the structures proved themselves over time, as reliably replicable.

quote:
Originally posted by watchergirl:
The current debate over homosexuality (which I think many of us believe is really about interpretation of the Bible) is just one manifestation of the conflict between modernism and postmodernism within the church. I think a postmodern theology is already emerging within the Christian church to deal with this.

Watchergirl,
I still find it extremely hard to get a grip on the concepts of modernism and postmodernism. Perhaps your example may help to enlighten me. Can you tell me what it is about modernism that would lead to a condemnation of homosexual activity? Those who oppose such a condemnation often do so because they would argue that the condemnation of acts that can deepen a constructive relationship is cruel and thus out of step with Christian morality. How would that be postmodern? Are not both sides appealing to reason and authority, albeit in different ways? I thought that postmodernism involved a radical repudiation of reason, a continuous deconstruction of all arguments and all texts including its own?

Glenn

[ 03. January 2004, 22:18: Message edited by: Glenn Oldham ]

Glenn Oldham: Ihab Hassan produced a famous table of oppositions between modern and postmodern, which is reproduced here. It gives a very interesting sense of the contrasts, and is oddly relevant to your query about sexuality. It's one of the iconic articulations of the modern/postmodern problematic, and it's one of those things that (a) sticks in your mind after you've seen it, and (b) you need to know where to find so you can go back to it.

quote:
Originally posted by psyduck:
Ihab Hassan produced a famous table of oppositions between modern and postmodern, which is reproduced here.

Excellent link, psyduck, many thanks, though I'll have to use my dictionary!
G

[ 04. January 2004, 08:33: Message edited by: Glenn Oldham ]

Glenn Oldham:
quote:
Excellent link, psyduck, many thanks, though I'll have to use my dictionary!
G

Or not... Dictionaries are about representation - a possibility denied in postmodernism. [Ultra confused] You could maybe guess - it's more fun! [Yipee]

quote:
quote:
... - language certainly is not sealed off from the nature of the world. I would go so far as to say that language in fact governs the nature of the world - language has in fact shaped our conventions, which in turn shape that which we consider to be "reality".

It is somewhat ambiguous to say that 'language governs the world'.
Mr Oldham, you have misquoted me to begin with. I did not ever say that "language governs the world". But that aside, having reread this post, I could have been a little more precise. For instance, when I say "language governs the nature of the world" I should really have written "language governs the way in which each of us perceives the nature of the world".

[ 04. January 2004, 11:00: Message edited by: Magnum Mysterium ]

Glenn Oldham: Not the issue of sexuality itself - I haven't really considered exactly how that would fit into the postmodern debate, although perhaps I should - but interpretation of the Bible. Postmoderns (and I hate categorising, since 'postmodernity' defies categories, but I'm going to anyway) tend to see each individual's view of the world (and thus the Bible) as valid. For me, the debate over how the Bible should be interpreted is a clash between modernity and postmodernity because moderns tend to interpret the Bible one way and believe that that is the only way to interpret it, whether liberally or literally. In contrast, postmoderns allow for different views of the world by different individuals. You said "Those who oppose such a condemnation often do so because they would argue that the condemnation of acts that can deepen a constructive relationship is cruel and thus out of step with Christian morality" - yes, but they have stepped out of their own experience and looked at the experience of others in order to come to that conclusion, and they have questioned the 'this is the only way to understand the world' theme that many of those on the other side of the argument would hold. Evangelicalism seems to me to be very modern in its immovable values. But in other ways, as Brian McLaren points out, so is liberalism. Others would disagree with me on either or both of those statements, and they have the right to see things differently. That's the postmodern approach, after all. [Smile] I see the whole Biblical inerrancy (and homosexuality) debate as extremely modern: two groups with very fixed views fighting with each other to be recognised as the group with the monopoly on truth, while the rest of the world is sitting back and going 'huh?' at an argument that most of them got past a while ago by accepting that, in today's postmodern society, people just have different world views.

Brian McLaren says the following about postmodernism (I'll try and keep it short in the hope that I'm not breaking any copyrights here): "In a way, you cross the threshold into postmodernity the moment you turn your critical scrutiny from others to yourself, when you relativize your own modern viewpoint... You begin to see that what seemed like pure, objective certainty really depends heavily on a subjective preference for your personal viewpoint" ['A New Kind of Christian', McLaren]. Postmodern Christianity, if it exists or will exist, will in part be about letting go of the 'objective certainties' that both evangelicals (in doctrine) and liberals (often in tradition) find so appealing.

I'm sure that was appallingly written, as I'm only just starting to consider a lot of these ideas - and because I often don't have the theories to support them. But I think it's hard to deny the cultural clash that is going on between the modern Church (and other modern institutions or religions) and postmodern society. I think it's a big part of why so many Christians here feel out-of-step with the Church, as though we don't fit into Christian culture particularly well. I think there will be more of that before we develop a Christian culture that, while still being completely Christian, is able to engage with the world around us in the way that Paul did in the Athenian marketplace.

Thanks for your illuminating reply, watchergirl. I seem to be gradually getting the picture. A quick comment on the McLaren quote.

quote:
Brian McLaren says ... : "In a way, you cross the threshold into postmodernity the moment you turn your critical scrutiny from others to yourself, when you relativize your own modern viewpoint... You begin to see that what seemed like pure, objective certainty really depends heavily on a subjective preference for your personal viewpoint" ['A New Kind of Christian', McLaren]. Postmodern Christianity, if it exists or will exist, will in part be about letting go of the 'objective certainties' that both evangelicals (in doctrine) and liberals (often in tradition) find so appealing.

Now it is unjust of me to judge a book from one sentence, but this triggers in me a lot of quarrels with the kind of analysis this sentence offers. It is so patronising towards people by implying that they only believe what they do because it is convenient for them. As if people haven't gone through a lot of soul-searching and agonising about what to believe. If, however, the main thrust is to recommend a self-critical, sometimes agnostic and cautious, sometimes robust and confident approach to matters of belief then, bravo, that is precisely what I like about the contemporary liberal approach.

quote:
I see the whole Biblical inerrancy (and homosexuality) debate as extremely modern: two groups with very fixed views fighting with each other to be recognised as the group with the monopoly on truth, while the rest of the world is sitting back and going 'huh?' at an argument that most of them got past a while ago by accepting that, in today's postmodern society, people just have different world views.

Yes, a large number of people think -'hey, do and think what you like!' But this itself is a moral viewpoint that has much to be said for it but as a complete view is inadequate. It can be contested and requires justification and qualification. Besides, I don't think that either camp that you mention claims a monopoly on truth-as-a-whole. Perhaps you mean that they claim to be right on this particular issue, innerrancy say, or that particular issue, homosexuality say. If so, what are the alternative approaches? Is the bible inerrant (and if so in what way) or is it not (and if so what does that imply about how we use it)? How do we answer this? Are you recommending that as postmoderns we should ignore the question and not think about it? Or are you recommending that we be self-critical about it, in which case we will each need to think carefully about the issue and the evidence and come to a conclusion. But isn't that what these people in these camps are doing already? Or is everyone just believing what they want to believe?

Or is the postmodern view that the bible can be inerrant for one person and not inerrant for another and that both views are true. How are we supposed to make sense of that? And if so, then what is the Christian message? Isn't such a relativistic approach the death knell of Christianity?

Please feel free to tell me to shut up and go and read McLaren's book!
Glenn

Glenn (and probably Isaac David who was looking for a description of post-modern Christian faith),

The postmodern take on (say) inerrancy, is not that an objective truth does exist, but that we can't be 100% sure that our take on the subject is objective.

Thus if one person looks at the evidence and declares that the Bible is inerrant, and another looks on the same evidence and decides the opposite - who are we to arbiter between them? In the end our take on it will be based on loads of factors to do with our culture, upbringing, and yes, eventually personal taste (though I doubt ever explicitly declared as such).

Thus the post-modern can say, "if it helps you to be a better Christian, then the Bible can be inerrant for you, I read it the other way, but I am no more necessarily right than you are"

It's not just tolerance, it's a wholehearted acceptance of our own lack of truth, rather than being prepared to tolerate someone you 'know' to be incorrect.

AB

[ 04. January 2004, 21:41: Message edited by: AB ]

But of course inerrancy tends to mean "Inerrant for you as well as for me, whether you accept this or not!" Which can usually be effortlessly deconstructed into "I'm right and you're wrong!"

quote:
Originally posted by AB:
Glenn (and probably Isaac David who was looking for a description of post-modern Christian faith),

The postmodern take on (say) inerrancy, is not that an objective truth does exist, but that we can't be 100% sure that our take on the subject is objective.

Thus if one person looks at the evidence and declares that the Bible is inerrant, and another looks on the same evidence and decides the opposite - who are we to arbiter between them? In the end our take on it will be based on loads of factors to do with our culture, upbringing, and yes, eventually personal taste (though I doubt ever explicitly declared as such).

Thus the post-modern can say, "if it helps you to be a better Christian, then the Bible can be inerrant for you, I read it the other way, but I am no more necessarily right than you are"

It's not just tolerance, it's a wholehearted acceptance of our own lack of truth, rather than being prepared to tolerate someone you 'know' to be incorrect.

AB

I have to be honest and say that I have a real difficulty in thinking of anyone in the Bible or in the heroes of faith over the past twenty centuries who adopted this approach. Throughout we see people who are no only personally convinced of their position but also passionately argue for it. This does not seem to me to require one to dismiss differing views out of hand but neither does it mean passively saying 'your truth might be right for you'. It does mean not just knowing what you believe but why you believe it and be prepared to debate that, and to be preapred to change your views if oyur position can be demonstrated to be wrong. That seems to me to be a fundamentally more honest and intelligent approach to take which does not passively accept anything as possible truth but also does not leave one immune to argument and to a change of position. It stands half a chance of together genuinely discovering truth.

Indeed Jeff, I'm in no way advocating a namby-pamby-we-can't-know-truth style of Christian living where we just don't bother trying to figure out stuff - it's amusing to me especially as I have a reputation as the Church trouble maker when it comes to theology! (in a good way) [Biased]

Proper dialogue is crucial to living faith, but should that dialogue result in an impasse (which it often will) with both camps entrenched with their own personal views - what right do I have to arbiter about who is right and who is wrong?

In any case, arguing the toss over a theological topic is a fairly modern form of 'growing' - I'd prefer to embody my viewpoints and show that they can provide a valid and passionate christian life. By their fruits will you know them, and all that.

AB

quote:
Originally posted by AB:

I am not happy with the way you have put this, since "I am no more necessarily right than you are" is an extremely unclear way of putting it.

You would not, I take it, be prepared to say: "if it helps you to be a better Christian, then the holocaust is a fiction for you, but I read the evidence the other way, but I am no more necessarily right than you are"
Glenn

//sigh//

Glenn,

It's not a case of denying all truth. Of course the holocaust happened, of course it could never be considered edifying to the Christian to declare otherwise, and that should always be challenged. There is an overwhelming background of evidence that simply cannot and should not be ignored. We should, by all means, reason to the best of our knowledge.

However that is in a completely different league to contemporary theological issues - where the reasoning stacks up on either side and both are just as convinced that they are right. In such a case, I cannot ignore the outside factors that can be influencing a view, and I cannot, in all honesty, declare myself free of such influencing factors. So isn't it prudent to move away from facts and see whether such a view has an edifying effect?

Unless you believe that all truth can be reasoned by all, objectively; then you must surely see that reasoning and propisitions can only go so far?

AB

Glenn Oldham: [Big Grin] Any answers I could give to your questions would be my own conclusions on these things. I think the point is that we are in the process of discovering what a postmodern Christian will be - or, to use McLaren's phrase, 'what postmodern Christianity will look like'. Do I think that there's no such thing as objective truth? No, I don't think that. Do I think that truth may be too big for us to understand and/or handle? Yes. That's why we need to listen to each others' stories about their interpretation of the same truth. In terms of inerrancy, I don't think that the Bible is inerrant for you while not being inerrant for me. I do think that we may need new categories, signs, symbols and terminology by which to understand a change in such concepts as 'inerrancy', which may be modern and which we may move on from entirely (I'm not saying that they are and we will, just that it's a possiblity that other ways of looking at the world and the Bible could be considered).

In terms of sexuality, it seems to be that each side in the argument claims to have a monopoly on truth over this issue. Whether or not they do, the fact is that this belief is stopping each side from hearing the stories of the other side. (Don't believe me? Ask me how many people have literally stopped talking to me since my views on this particular argument changed.) We've stopped listening to each other in very real ways. This is often the case in very heated debates, Christian or otherwise, in which one side or other feels that they have some kind of vested interest in maintaining the status quo. But in a postmodern culture we need to listen to the stories of others before they will be willing to listen to ours. I think some branches of Christianity have been rather bad at listening to others, a fact I started to notice at my university Christian Union when it was regularly suggested to me that my only reason for having non-Christian friends should be to evangelise them. In postmodern Christianty, perhaps we will learn to listen to the 'little stories' of others and to hear about why these interpretations of the same truth are so important to them. I think that can only be a good thing.

And that's where I run out of things to say and so end with 'shut up and go and read McLaren's book.' [Biased]

AB, sorry to make you sigh (I sympathise with that reaction – it is one that I have at times here on the boards).

OK. Let me try and get to the nub of your comments. (Apologies in advance for any misunderstandings of what you have been seeking to say - I may have got the emphosis wrong).

Firstly your description of the kind of dilemma that postmodernism is supposed to help with:

The dilemma(s)
quote:
Originally posted by AB: … if one person looks at the evidence and declares that the Bible is inerrant, and another looks on the same evidence and decides the opposite - who are we to arbiter between them? In the end our take on it will be based on loads of factors to do with our culture, upbringing, and yes, eventually personal taste …
--
where the reasoning stacks up on either side and both are just as convinced that they are right. In such a case, I cannot ignore the outside factors that can be influencing a view, and I cannot, in all honesty, declare myself free of such influencing factors.

What you seem to be saying is that there are issues on which Christians disagree, such as inerrancy, where Christians faced with the same evidence argue and reason to different conclusions; and you argue that therefore factors other than the evidence seem to be involved in their arriving at their decisions. You seem also to say that, faced with such an issue, you can’t claim any greater authority and so conclude that if they can’t agree on this, who are you to say what the answer is?

I agree that this is indeed a genuine dilemma. You also put forward a suggestion as to how we can (ought? need?) to respond to it, and describe that response as postmodern.

The suggested response
quote:
Originally posted by AB: where the reasoning stacks up on either side and both are just as convinced that they are right. In such a case, I cannot ignore the outside factors that can be influencing a view, and I cannot, in all honesty, declare myself free of such influencing factors. So isn't it prudent to move away from facts and see whether such a view has an edifying effect?

The postmodern take on (say) inerrancy, is … that we can't be 100% sure that our take on the subject is objective. … the post-modern can say, "if it helps you to be a better Christian, then the Bible can be inerrant for you, I read it the other way, but I am no more necessarily right than you are"

- I'd prefer to embody my viewpoints and show that they can provide a valid and passionate christian life. By their fruits will you know them, and all that.
(my use of bold typeG.O.)

What exactly are you suggesting here? When faced with a particular issue on which Christians disagree are you suggesting:

AB1 that you can choose between competing views on an issue on the basis of whether or not holding that view leads to an edifying and fruitful lives amongst its adherents; or

AB2 that it does not matter which of the competing views you hold as long as holding it helps you to live a more fruitful life, or

AB3 that you need not hold any of the competing views on the issue, you can just admit that you don’t know and concentrate on leading a fruitful life; or

AB4 that you need to decide which of AB1, AB2, or AB3 applies in each case.

It is thus very unclear to me how you would envisage your comments being put into practice.

First of all, I heartily and sincerely commend your emphasis on what I take to be actions and character. Christian life is colossally impoverished if it is seen as primarily a question of what we should believe about a large number of abstruse doctrinal niceties. I adopt the AB2 and AB3 approach for a large number of Christian doctrines, (eg AB3 the virgin birth.)

The problem with the suggestion
However, the crucial problem with your suggestion (however interpreted) is how do we decide what is edifying and what is fruitful? How are we going to do that without looking at evidence and reasonings about what is good for human beings, and looking at views on what is holy and moral and coming to decisions about them? We are back in the realm of facts, reasoning, and propositions. We cannot sidestep them as you seem to suggest that we can.

Take the homosexuality issue. Should a Christian who believes he is gay attempt to have a long-term sexual partnership with a person of the same sex, or have none at all, or attempt to have one with the opposite sex? If your answer is: ‘whichever is the more edifying and fruitful for him’ then how does he, and how do you, decide which of the three options that is in his particular case?

Glenn

Thanks for your reply, watchergirl.

quote:
Do I think that there's no such thing as objective truth? No, I don't think that. Do I think that truth may be too big for us to understand and/or handle? Yes. That's why we need to listen to each others' stories ...

I would agree. Popper said something like 'tell me what you think and I'll tell you what I think and together we may be able to arrive at a better view of the truth.'

quote:
In terms of inerrancy, ... I do think that we may need new categories, signs, symbols and terminology by which to understand a change in such concepts as 'inerrancy', which may be modern and which we may move on from entirely (I'm not saying that they are and we will, just that it's a possiblity that other ways of looking at the world and the Bible could be considered).
I would agree, but constructive alternatives to inerrancy have been around as long as inerrancy has and predate postmodernism and are part of what people argue about.

quote:
In terms of sexuality, it seems to be that each side in the argument claims to have a monopoly on truth over this issue. ... Whether or not they do, the fact is that this belief is stopping each side from hearing the stories of the other side. ... we need to listen to the stories of others before they will be willing to listen to ours.

I have a view on this issue and it came as the result of intensive listening to both sides of the debate and coming to what seemed to me to be the view that is most consistent with the evidence and with my wider beliefs. I therefore disagree with the alternative view, but I can understand why they hold it. It would be great to just leave it at that, but real people and their lives and welfare are dependant on what people think about this issue and so we can't treat it as a matter of indifference. We can't stop saying what we think and why, but yes we can keep listening even if we still end up saying, 'well, I understand why you think that but I can't agree'

quote:
In postmodern Christianty, perhaps we will learn to listen to the 'little stories' of others and to hear about why these interpretations of the same truth are so important to them. I think that can only be a good thing.

Once again, this has been going on for centuries. Why is it I wonder that postmodernists portray the history of Christianity as only ever being about dogmatic groups and as if the discovery of and respect for other views is somehow new?

Some of what I read about postmodern Christianity makes me think that it may be helpful for those Christians who are disenchanted with Fundamentalism to think of themselves as postmodern. That is fine by me (as long as they manage to avoid the know-nothingism of much postmodern theory) but the alternatives to Fundamentalism have been around for as long as Christianity has.

Glenn

Glenn,

Thanks for the interesting post, I guess it does summarise (and critique) my view quite successfully.

I guess at one time or another I have advocated or put in to practise all of the AB points you mention. Personally I have a subtle slant towards AB1 when I decide which doctrine to follow. My experience with a lot of hard talking inerrantist calvinists and how I witness them leading their lives, and the fruits they show leads me to react and take an opposite view. But then, I am clearly judging them by my own moral standard and definition of fruitful living, as you so rightly point out.

My definition of fruitful would be adhearance to Jesus' two greatest commandments which I do believe (as I've debated on other threads) to be absolute in morality (in that true for all) and yet subjective in practise.

Thus with the homosexuality matter (and let's not go there) I would point out to someone struggling with issue, what I know to be the factors and arguments for both sides, gently point out where I might stand, but stress the importance that the person make his/her mind up with a clear conscience before God and others.

Thus my own internal view point is something between AB1/AB3 and yet I would stress AB2 to someone genuinely struggling with an issue.

Note that this is only my approach with what I would suggest are some of the more unimportant points in theology (which is, again, my definition) and I would certainly try and correct someone who I felt was following a truth that would not lead them closer to Jesus.

Hope this all helps,

AB

quote:
quote:
Do I think that there's no such thing as objective truth? No, I don't think that. Do I think that truth may be too big for us to understand and/or handle? Yes. That's why we need to listen to each others' stories ...

I would agree. Popper said something like 'tell me what you think and I'll tell you what I think and together we may be able to arrive at a better view of the truth.'
Now that sounds interesting. [Smile] That's close to what I imagine postmodern Christianity will be about. Getting better views of the truth by sharing our own views of it with each other in ways that we haven't done in the recent past.

quote:
quote:
In terms of inerrancy, ... I do think that we may need new categories, signs, symbols and terminology by which to understand a change in such concepts as 'inerrancy', which may be modern and which we may move on from entirely (I'm not saying that they are and we will, just that it's a possiblity that other ways of looking at the world and the Bible could be considered).
I would agree, but constructive alternatives to inerrancy have been around as long as inerrancy has and predate postmodernism and are part of what people argue about.
I agree with you, to an extent. However, they were more prevalent in the pre-modern era, I would argue. The modern era has brought with it a wave of 'my view is right and all others are wrong' ideas that, to my mind, have eclipsed other ideas about Christianity. Just ask your average non-Christian to describe Christianity - most people will not tell you about the full range of beliefs within it, but about fundamentalism. If postmodernism Christianity will be partly about moving beyond that, I'll be very happy to see its arrival. I think it will also go beyond that into something new, though.

quote:
quote:

In terms of sexuality, it seems to be that each side in the argument claims to have a monopoly on truth over this issue. ... Whether or not they do, the fact is that this belief is stopping each side from hearing the stories of the other side. ... we need to listen to the stories of others before they will be willing to listen to ours.

I have a view on this issue and it came as the result of intensive listening to both sides of the debate and coming to what seemed to me to be the view that is most consistent with the evidence and with my wider beliefs. I therefore disagree with the alternative view, but I can understand why they hold it. It would be great to just leave it at that, but real people and their lives and welfare are dependant on what people think about this issue and so we can't treat it as a matter of indifference. We can't stop saying what we think and why, but yes we can keep listening even if we still end up saying, 'well, I understand why you think that but I can't agree'
Yes. As a gay Christian, I have a view on it too. I am working hard at attempting to listen to the views of others, though, however much I am often tempted to join in the slanging match. From my position I experience both sides of this debate being thrown at me without allowing me a chance to think, respond or usually even listen. I personally feel that our inability to listen to each other is a central problem in this issue. However, I'm not saying that everyone suffers from this failing. And I'm certainly not suggesting that we should shrug off the issue - quite the opposite. If we listened to each other, maybe we would learn from each other in this and many other issues in a way that would benefit the welfare of us all, particularly those who suffer because of a lack of understanding. It's not about giving up what we believe to be right. It's about learning from each others' stories, something that I believe modern Christians often fail to do.

quote:
quote:
In postmodern Christianty, perhaps we will learn to listen to the 'little stories' of others and to hear about why these interpretations of the same truth are so important to them. I think that can only be a good thing.
Once again, this has been going on for centuries. Why is it I wonder that postmodernists portray the history of Christianity as only ever being about dogmatic groups and as if the discovery of and respect for other views is somehow new?
Because the history of Christianity has been re-written in this light, often (as far as I can see) by people who believe that this position is the only acceptable one within our faith. It's also true that in recent (modern) times, we've been very bad at listening to each other. I refer back to the experience that non-Christians tend to have of Christianity to show in part why I think that modern Christianity has been dominated by groups that would not accept each others' experiences.

quote:
Some of what I read about postmodern Christianity makes me think that it may be helpful for those Christians who are disenchanted with Fundamentalism to think of themselves as postmodern. That is fine by me (as long as they manage to avoid the know-nothingism of much postmodern theory) but the alternatives to Fundamentalism have been around for as long as Christianity has.
I am disenchanted with fundamentalism, but I don't think that's the only thing that draws Christians to a postmodern approach. Liberals can be as modern as evangelicals. If a postmodern Christianity develops, I don't believe it will be either evangelical or liberal. Exactly what it will look like, I don't know. McLaren has some good ideas but he doesn't claim to know how things might develop. It's up to Christians and our willingness to develop new approaches for a new age, I think.

[ 06. January 2004, 18:48: Message edited by: watchergirl ]

Posted by Gracia (# 1812) on :

from watchergirl:
quote:
Just ask your average non-Christian to describe Christianity - most people will not tell you about the full range of beliefs within it, but about fundamentalism.
So true, & so,so frustrating!!!

quote:
If postmodernism Christianity will be partly about moving beyond that, I'll be very happy to see its arrival.
Amen.

quote:
I think it will also go beyond that into something new, though.
I think so, too.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gracia:
from watchergirl:
quote:
Just ask your average non-Christian to describe Christianity - most people will not tell you about the full range of beliefs within it, but about fundamentalism.
So true, & so,so frustrating!!!

I don't think that's true at all. I think most of the non-Christian majority in our society think of Christianity as a long list of rules that you have to obey to go to heaven; mixed up with something fluffy to do with angels.

Posted by Gracia (# 1812) on :

Well, Ken, whenever anyone here in California learns that I am Christian, & that it's the most important thing in my life, they want to make it clear how much they are against arrogance, exclusivity, prejudice, judgmentalism, etc (all of which have nothing to do with my own Christianity at all).

Here,they don't see Christianity as fluffy at all.
The rules are not what bothers them, it's the judgmentalism.

If not fundamentalism, I don't really know what version of Christianity they feel they have to distance themselves from, as a point of pride. Whatever it is, Christianity has an extremely bad reputation in my neck of the woods.

Posted by English ploughboy (# 4205) on :

I have been following this thread with some little difficulty being a bear of small brain and a child of scientific modernism. However I have been warming to some of the ideas posted, in particular the postmodern willingness to listen to peoples stories and ideas of truth and to be willing to investigate them as valid alternatives.
However I do not think there has been one word about Jesus and how he fits in to all this.
I think in many ways his way of presenting teaching was rather post modern if I understand at all what it is all about. For instance Luke 10 25-37 the good Samaritan. Jesus is asked about truth but never actually gives any opinion himself but seeks out his questioners opinion and then manages to subvert his predujuces by a simple parable, in fact Jesus hardly ever forced his own opinion on an argument but invited his listeners to form their own opinions from the parables and signs that were before them, culminating in the greatest acted parable of his own death and resurection. This is certainly very different from the teaching I hear in the modern church, would a post modern church actually sound more like Jesus speaking? What do all you cerebrates out there think?

© Ship of Fools 2016