Thread: Purgatory: Consecration Will Include Objections Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001110

Posted by Try (# 4951) on :

It It looks like NH is planning for an orderly consecration and an orderly protest. Of course, Fred Phelps will be on hand to try to blow all of that to hell- but there are going to be counterprotesters to counter him. And poliece.

[ 08. January 2006, 21:58: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posted by Sacristy Rat (# 5034) on :

The consecration rite in the Book of Occasional Services provides a place where those who object to what is happening may speak, and conservatives have been using this portion of the ceremony in order to air their views lately. I believe that during the recent consecration of the new bishop of Colorado there was an objection by the Rev. Ephraim Radner, who had himself been a candidate for that position, on the grounds that the new bishop was insufficiently orthodox. John Chane, the bishop of Washington DC, faced a similar objection during his consecration.

From what I've read, two objections will be made during Robinson's consecration ceremony and then the objectors will depart in order to attend an "alternative" service. Good Anglican order and all that.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Try:
but there are going to be counterprotesters to counter him. And poliece.

And there will be metal detectors at the doors to the arena, and Gene Robinson will no doubt be wearing a bullet-proof vest. The bishop suffragan said at his parish visit to us here this last Sunday that Robinson and the presiding bishop both wore bulletproof vests throughout General Convention.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

Despite my strong objection to the consecration, (see the 'Sitting on the fence...' thread) I sincerely hope Fr Robinson comes through it all unscathed. [Votive]

I hope a hypothetical and abstract question won't seem flippant here. I mean it quite seriously. If the service contains a question to the congregation such as 'Is it your will that he be consecrated?' and the loudest shout is 'No', what happens next?

[ 01. November 2003, 23:25: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

Posted by irreverentkit (# 4271) on :

The final burying of the hatchet between the RC and Orthodox churches (see article below) over a few words in the Creed reminds me that Christians have been fighting with other Christians for any number of offenses for thousands of years.

I pray that our unity may hold up through this turbulent time.
Someday Gene Robinson will just be another item in a Church History course...

Catholics, Orthodox Agree on Nicene Creed

Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christian leaders in North America announced partial agreement on a doctrinal issue that has divided the two Christian branches for nearly 1,000 years.

The groups, meeting in Washington, issued a statement Tuesday about the wording of the Nicene Creed, which is recited in all Orthodox and Catholic churches.

The Orthodox insist on the original Greek text from the Council of Constantinople (AD 381), which speaks of "the Holy Spirit, who proceeds from the Father." In 1014, the papacy added "and the Son" after that phrase, despite opposition from Eastern churches.

The creedal change and the exercise of papal power without church-wide agreement were major issues in the Great Schism between Catholicism and Orthodoxy that began in 1054.

This joint statement, the 22nd since the talks began in 1965, affirms the "normative and irrevocable dogmatic value" of the wording from AD 381. The paper thus recommends that Catholics use the original text in worship and cancel an anathema against Orthodox usage from a Catholic council in 1274.

Such recommendations require Vatican approval.

-- Associated Press

Posted by MarkthePunk (# 683) on :

Yes, I saw the Catholic-Orthodox story and nearly fell off my couch. Then I started a thread about it.

Posted by Light (# 4693) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
And there will be metal detectors at the doors to the arena, and Gene Robinson will no doubt be wearing a bullet-proof vest. The bishop suffragan said at his parish visit to us here this last Sunday that Robinson and the presiding bishop both wore bulletproof vests throughout General Convention.

I don't think I had realized the enormity of this event until I read this. Now I feel scared... Are people really so upset that they might do something so awful, or is it just a precaution if some whacko is triggered by the commotion?

[Votive]

I read this morning that 50 bishops are going to be there in support. That's a lot of dioceses that may be out of communion on Monday.

Posted by HoosierNan (# 91) on :

A female priest in the Episcopal church told me this story. Soon after she had been ordained, she was administering the chalice at a large communion service, along with several other priests. Someone stuck a nail file into her hand! She proceeded to the altar, grabbed a linen napkin, hastily wrapped it around her hand, and continued in the service.

This occurred in Indianapolis, shortly after the first group of female priests had been ordained.

I can see some zealot armed with a gun shooting a bishop. Especially in the United States.

[Frown] [brick wall]

Posted by psyduck (# 2270) on :

I simply couldn't believe the tenor of the first objection at the Consecration. Along with sticking nail-files into people's hands, it's well up the league of things I can't imagine how people square with a profession of Christianity.
[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

Posted by Degs (# 2824) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I hope a hypothetical and abstract question won't seem flippant here. I mean it quite seriously. If the service contains a question to the congregation such as 'Is it your will that he be consecrated?' and the loudest shout is 'No', what happens next?

The first of the objectors was unbelievable! [Eek!]

His objection against the supposed behaviour of the Bishop Elect consisted in a list of sexual practices - until ++Griswold called a halt and asked him to get to the point. Something of an own-goal I think. [Smile]

The other two were reasoned, but unoriginal. The Consecration proceeds.

I din't think the congregation could have shouted 'yes' any louder!

Posted by Tom Day (# 3630) on :

I never thought that people could sink so low as to just list sexual practices like that. What was he trying to prove? That he knew a lot about gays? made my blood boil. I was sitting shouting at my PC, had to switch it off before I broke it...

However, am now listening to the sermon - good [Smile]

Tom

Well, it appears we have a new Bishop in the Church of God. [Yipee]

And also [Votive] for +Gene.

I sure hope an objector didn't read off a long list of sexual practices.

I've been looking for feeds/sources on the consecration. Any links/info would be appreciated.

Posted by Tom Day (# 3630) on :

The BBC has one - here is the report on it

And I quote from it

quote:
One, Earl Fox from Pittsburgh, began to graphically list homosexual practices but was told not to go into detail.
Tom

quote:
Originally posted by MarkthePunk:
I sure hope an objector didn't read off a long list of sexual practices.

Oh yes.

Anybody know who Earl Fox is? I think only two objections were planned. Was his *ahem* unplanned?

Posted by Louise (# 30) on :

This is the chap who objected with the graphic list of sex acts

Earle Fox

He runs ex-gay ministries and is a total charmer judging by his web page and this lovely comment on it.

quote:
[COMMENT: Those who have voted for this tragic approval of homosexuality have put themselves outside the Christian camp. Most of them have abandoned any serious search for the truth, or any hold on Biblical theology, and demonstrate contempt for the law of God. So, in what sense Robinson will in fact be a bishop is up for grabs. They are in for a serious reality-check (as in "Come, let us reason together....") with God... E. Fox.]

L.

[ 02. November 2003, 22:32: Message edited by: Louise ]

Yeah, I see on his site that he advocates listing homosexual behaviors in public discussions of gay-related issues. If there is a place for that, a service surely is not one of those places.

Posted by jugular (# 4174) on :

The The Bishop's Statements' of objection.

Am I right in thinking that this was broadcast in the US? Also, was there are a shipmate who was there, or who knows someone who could be convinced to post a report?

Thank you, come again.

I'm sooooo surprised CANN didn't publish Fr Fox's objection. [Biased]

I have only one word to say about Fr. Fox:

Disusting!

I heard Fr. Fox's statement as I was watching the BBC webcast of +Robinson's consecration. His language was so graphic we had to send the children out of the room until ++Frank bade him to desist. It was embarrassing, and far more worthy of the "God Hates Fags" crowd than anything else.

[Projectile]

quote:
Originally posted by Light:
Are people really so upset that they might do something so awful, or is it just a precaution if some whacko is triggered by the commotion?

Our bishop said the latter was their main concern, and that Robinson has received death threats. As has the presiding bishop.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
I was sitting shouting at my PC, had to switch it off before I broke it...

However, am now listening to the sermon - good [Smile]

How are you listening to it? I could only find a short video report on the BBC. Is there a link somewhere to a recording of the whole service?

Posted by Assistant Village Idiot (# 3266) on :

The word on the street here in NH is as Ruth W says. There was no indication of any organised physical confrontation, but precautions against whackjobs seemed in order. It only takes one.

quote:
Is there a link somewhere to a recording of the whole service?
I second that question.

The BBC had live streaming video during the service, but I just checked the page and the link is gone. It looks like the short link is what's left.

Could someone help me with the link to the BBC story (video)? I can't seem to locate it. [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Dunstan (# 5095) on :

I was there...and I wrote in about it, asking if I could put up an MW about it, but my planning to go only happened the day of the Ordination and Consecration so I didn't official approval, so I just took notes on stuff I noted, like crowd mutterings around me and stuff.

Yeah, Fr. Fox shocked us all. I think "rimmer" really pushed everyone to the breaking point. I think he was trying to show people how disgusting sex is, proving that what is really on the table for some is a full discussion of Christianity and Sexuality. Or embarass +Gene, who had to sit facing his consecrators. We shouted our consent after the people left as loud as we could. It could have been worse, though. Someone with a credible reputation could have claimed Gene has molested him.

TANGENT I felt uncomfortable for reasons I could not understand after the service. I think it was the fact (and I'm not joking about this reason) that it occurred in a Hockey RInk. Not that I was angry about that, but it made me feel like we were cutting ourselves away, even though I support this movement. Somehow some parts of the service left me cold. I know there is no space, but I would really have preferred a large Church. And I saw one of the weirdest things I have ever seen, a guy called David Haine, I think, in a cowboy hat (?) and some sort of ecclesiastical garb, trying to get people interested in his 2000 Presidential campaign and repeating like a mantra his Yahoo e-mail address about 200m from the place the service was held. Yes, I too have no idea.

Phelps was no problem, because the student body of the University of New Hampshire did not want Phelps and co.'s "bigot feet" on the field they helped pay for. He was three blocks away. If he had been on this field, it would probably have been quite horrible for those there for the consecration, waiting in the lobby, while rehearsals and a slow trickle were let in through the security, because Phelps would have been opposite this.
When we came out tons of UNH students were cheering and a solitary man on the anti-Gene Robinson side shouted at us.

I also got to see the Phelpsmobile in the parking lot. It says Welcome in English, Spanish and Chinese. Pretty bizarre.

Laters,
Dunstan

Posted by Magnum Mysterium (# 3418) on :

Here's a report from the ACNS.

It includes photos of the huddle.

You mean the bishops actually had to touch him? A g...g...gay person? Whatever next? Will they have to touch the poor, the homeless, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free? [Disappointed]

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

Fr. Fox's catalogue of sexual acts is pointless since he cannot be certain that the Proudies (shall we say) don't get up to exactly the same shenanigans in their marital bed in the Bishop's House in Barchester.

The contrast between Fr Fox's dubious litany and the graciousness of ++Griswold and +Robinson was remarkable.

Sorry to DP!

Here is the response from the primus inter pares.

Posted by angloid (# 159) on :

This has the marks of a press office rather than ++Rowan himself. Just a bit bland wouldn't you say?

Yes and no. I find it hard to believe ++Rowan would simply allow his press office to put words in his mouth.

It would appear from the news that the Province of Kenya is the first to declare itself 'out of communion' with ECUSA.

[ 03. November 2003, 09:09: Message edited by: Degs ]

Posted by scoticanus (# 5140) on :

Degs, thanks for the reference.

I don't understand what Rowan Williams is up to. He was resolute in arguing for and defending the priesting of women, which was and remains highly divisive. Why is he being so irresolute now?

I also don't understand why, in the words of the statement, "it will not be possible for Gene Robinson's ministry as a bishop to be accepted in every province in the communion". From the point of view of those who claim to be "mainstream Anglicans", surely any possible objection to receiving his ministry is covered by Article XXVI, "Of the Unworthiness of the Ministers, which hinders not the effect of the Sacraments"?

Posted by Andrew Carey (# 4867) on :

quote:
Originally posted by scoticanus:
I also don't understand why, in the words of the statement, "it will not be possible for Gene Robinson's ministry as a bishop to be accepted in every province in the communion". From the point of view of those who claim to be "mainstream Anglicans", surely any possible objection to receiving his ministry is covered by Article XXVI, "Of the Unworthiness of the Ministers, which hinders not the effect of the Sacraments"?

It's not to do with any sort of theology of 'taint' or anything like that, but the fact that the majority of Anglicans don't believe Robinson should have been consecrated. Archbishop Rowan has pointed out, Gene Robinson could not have been consecrated in nearly all of the provinces of the Anglican Communion. They believe it means ECUSA, Robinson and the participating bishops have acted outside the Anglican tradition and therefore they don't recognise the validity of the consecration. It is regarded as a step so serious that communion is broken.

Now would those who have said ad nauseam on SoF that they didn't think the Anglican Communion would break up over this rethink their position? The fact is that a huge number of Anglicans now don't and can't accept ECUSA as being part of the same Church any more. For myself, I can now only think of ECUSA in the same way as I think of another denomination. Some Anglicans, I suspect, would go further and suggest that ECUSA is somehow not Christian in any meaningful sense of the word -- I have read an essay a few years ago by Pannenberg which gives this perspective some theological undergirding (others may know of a link to this).

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
I don't understand what Rowan Williams is up to. He was resolute in arguing for and defending the priesting of women, which was and remains highly divisive. Why is he being so irresolute now?

RW has made no secret of his intention to speak from what he sees as his office as ABC rather than from his personal opinions.

Also there is really no equality between the objectors to the ordination of women, who argued on theological grounds; & objectors to ordination of non-celibate gay men, who mostly argue on ethical grounds. One lot say women cannot be bishops because they are women, the other lot say non-celibate gay men ought not to be bishops, because they are unrepentant sinners. But that's off-topic here I think - it s been flogged to death on othr threads, a couple of which are still around somehere else on the Ship.

quote:

From the point of view of those who claim to be "mainstream Anglicans", surely any possible objection to receiving his ministry is covered by Article XXVI, "Of the Unworthiness of the Ministers, which hinders not the effect of the Sacraments"?

Yes, obviously true.

Assuming they are bing consistent, perhaps they aren't saying "Gene is not a real bishop" so much as "we don't want to associate with the kind of people who want him as their bishop".

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Assuming they are bing consistent, perhaps they aren't saying "Gene is not a real bishop" so much as "we don't want to associate with the kind of people who want him as their bishop".

He is invalidated from being a real bishop for most of the Provinces because he does not meet their criteria for the selection of a bishop. This is a fundamental break. His consecration is considered utterly wrong, and inevitably if they don't consider him a real bishop then they won't recognise his sacramental acts, in the same way they wouldn't necessarily be able to fully recognise the sacramental acts of another church they are not in communion with. Don't forget that women bishops are not able to function episcopally in the Church of England. Those ordained by women bishops elsewhere are also not recognised in the Church of England and many other provinces. So we had impaired communion before, and now we have broken communion also.

Why is our refusal to accept US women bishops merely "impaired" but Kenyans refusal to accept US gay bishops "broken"?

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

Because homophobia is a much more socially acceptable prejudice than misogyny. (Not that they wouldn't try that if they could get away with it.)

[ 03. November 2003, 12:30: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posted by Alwyn (# 4380) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Carey:
For myself, I can now only think of ECUSA in the same way as I think of another denomination. Some Anglicans, I suspect, would go further and suggest that ECUSA is somehow not Christian in any meaningful sense of the word -- I have read an essay a few years ago by Pannenberg which gives this perspective some theological undergirding (others may know of a link to this).

It saddens me to hear that you consider the ECUSA to be no longer part of the Anglican Communion. The suggestion that they might be no longer no longer Christian, even though you don't identify personally with this belief, concerns me even more. (I am trying not to get into the substance on these issues here; anyone who suggests that liberals don't have reasoned arguments hasn't been paying attention to several Purgatory threads lately, not to mention the Dead Horses thread.)

I wonder what Shipmates in ECUSA think about this response?

If you are a Shipmate in ECUSA, and pro +Gene, do you have any suggestions for fellow Anglicans about how we should respond to statements like Andrew's?

Like many others, I want to encourage mutual understanding, not separation. I hope that Anglicans in other countries who support +Gene, will show that this is not a dispute between 'ECUSA and the rest of the Anglican Communion'.

A.
CofE, and pro +Gene

Posted by Wulfstan (# 558) on :

Andrew Carey said:
quote:
Some Anglicans, I suspect, would go further and suggest that ECUSA is somehow not Christian in any meaningful sense of the word -- I have read an essay a few years ago by Pannenberg which gives this perspective some theological undergirding (others may know of a link to this).
And this is probably the fundamental problem. How exactly can we have a mature debate about this when certain people are declaring others as no longer Christian over an issue that isn't even mentioned in the Gospels. The views of the hardliners are one interpretation of scripture and tradition. There are others however and theirs is not the definitive one.
I have tried hard to moderate my views on this, but the remarks that have been made by many conservatives just stoke my anger about the whole business. Why should I respect the views of conservatives if this respect is not going to be reciprocated?

Speaking of Objections;

An interview with the Archbishop of Sydney

I watched it live - and he came across as supremely logical and well-reasoned. The ABC is notoriously bad at getting "experts" from both sides - and in this instance, the interviewer though he would be clever and be the devil's advocate (as it were). It didn't work. I reckon they should have gotten someone equally well educated and articulate to argue the opposite view - but I would, wouldn't I?

Griswold and Gene R being "gracious" is a crock. Having his partner participate in the service, including handing him his mitre is a bit in-your-face, is it not?

GR's gracious words are just that -- words.

As for those who are getting their robes wrinkled about someone questioning whether the ECUSA is Christian, may I ask if they are upset by being led by those who do not hold to the basics of the faith, such as the atonement and the resurrection, such as Spong et al. If the ECUSA is Christian, it sure as heck has a funny way of showing it at times.

Clearly, there are a lot of Christians in the ECUSA. But there are a lot of Christians in the Rotery Club, too.

Come with me to hell, please.

Posted by Bongo (# 778) on :

On the Today programme this morning, they did an interview with three people: two extremely articulate and media savvy conservatives v. one struggling less articulate elderly ex-bishop.

Not very balanced. It really pissed me off.

How many times are conservatives going to be allowed to go on Radio 4 and claim that everyone (liberals included) agrees that the Bible condemns homosexuality before somebody challenges them on this?

Then they started pulling that "the vast majority of the Anglican communion agrees with me" unsubstantiated CRAP again and I had to switch off.

quote:
As for those who are getting their robes wrinkled about someone questioning whether the ECUSA is Christian, may I ask if they are upset by being led by those who do not hold to the basics of the faith, such as the atonement and the resurrection, such as Spong et al. If the ECUSA is Christian, it sure as heck has a funny way of showing it at times.

Clearly, there are a lot of Christians in the ECUSA. But there are a lot of Christians in the Rotery Club, too.

You know, I had pretty much decided that I was leaving the ECUSA for good, simply because I couldn't stand all the politicking and anathemas being proclaimed left and right. This, however, reminds me that it could be far worse and may even propel me back to my former parish next Sunday.

Mark the Punk - Agent of Grace. Beautiful. [Angel]

Posted by The Bede's American Successor (# 5042) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jugular:
You mean the bishops actually had to touch him? A g...g...gay person? Whatever next? Will they have to touch the poor, the homeless, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free? [Disappointed]

Oh, bugger off! I would be more an act of Christian Charity™ to wish Fr. Fox the Peace during the Eucharist. [Mad]

quote:
Anybody know who Earl Fox is? I think only two objections were planned. Was his *ahem* unplanned?

The BCP does not say to limit objections to those planned in advance. Actually, it says very little in this area.

I hope you are keeping score on who is being inclusive of whom. (Remember that ++Frank had to pull out of a consecration in a reactionary diocese.)

quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
Oh, bugger off! I would be more an act of Christian Charity™ to wish Fr. Fox the Peace during the Eucharist. [Mad]

On that, we agree.

(And on "unplanned," I meant unplanned by conservatives, which I suspect (and hope) it was.)

[ 03. November 2003, 14:11: Message edited by: MarkthePunk ]

quote:
I hope you are keeping score on who is being inclusive of whom. (Remember that ++Frank had to pull out of a consecration in a reactionary diocese.)

That would be mine. [Frown]

quote:
quote:

It's not to do with any sort of theology of 'taint' or anything like that, but the fact that the majority of Anglicans don't believe Robinson should have been consecrated....

Now would those who have said ad nauseam on SoF that they didn't think the Anglican Communion would break up over this rethink their position? The fact is that a huge number of Anglicans now don't and can't accept ECUSA as being part of the same Church any more....

The definition of being in the Anglican Communion is being in communion with the See of Canterbury. The ECUSA is still in communion with ++Rowan. The ECUSA is still Anglican. QED.

What other dioceses and provinces do is up to them, because there is no central authority. There are already those that are in communion with Canterbury that don't accept some that have been ordained in the ECUSA.

As I look out my window this morning, the sun rose in the East.

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

quote:
quote:

He is invalidated from being a real bishop for most of the Provinces because he does not meet their criteria for the selection of a bishop. This is a fundamental break. His consecration is considered utterly wrong, and inevitably if they don't consider him a real bishop then they won't recognise his sacramental acts, in the same way they wouldn't necessarily be able to fully recognise the sacramental acts of another church they are not in communion with. Don't forget that women bishops are not able to function episcopally in the Church of England. Those ordained by women bishops elsewhere are also not recognised in the Church of England and many other provinces. So we had impaired communion before, and now we have broken communion also.
If their objection is to his homosexuality, then they should look to themselves and their own bishops. There have been, and no doubt still are, gay bishops in the C of E, in Canada, and I dare say in a whole bunch of other places and no one has claimed they are not "real" bishops, whose (for example) ordinations are not valid. Of course, most of them were not known to be gay -- but in this paradigm, being gay is an absolute. And, BTW, if being gay means a consecrated person isn't really what s/he thinks s/he is, then why doesn't adultery, or fornication or the sins listed by Paul in the same lists -- or, for that matter, lack of faith (no-one has yet claimed that Spong was not a valid bishop, they content themselves with calling him a heretic or questioning his motives).

If the objection is that he is acting sinfully, then there are no valid bishops or priests or confirmed persons, and we might as well give up the game and walk away.

I saw one African archbishop saying that this demonstrated that ECUSA was possessed by the Spirit of Satan -- demonstrating clearly that he, at least, has gone so far over the top that he can safely be disregarded, except as an object of prayer.

I saw that the arhcbishop in Kenya had objected -- when he himself is in violation of so many basic Christian standards that his standing must be questioned. (But, notably, none of the other African bishops have even noticed, much less critcized his activities, so I guess we can conclude that only sex matters when it comes to sin).

I saw bishops questioning Robinson's consecration who have for decades ignored the grotesque promiscuity that has made AIDS the killer it is in East Africa -- but then, they're straight, not gay, so maybe it's not really a sin, despite what the gospels say.

Now, don't get me started on the problems I have with the other side in this discussion. The one thing they seem to share is that they cannot accept that those with whom they disagree may also be seeking to do God's will. Christian charity? Ha!

John Holding

quote:
The definition of being in the Anglican Communion is being in communion with the See of Canterbury. The ECUSA is still in communion with ++Rowan. The ECUSA is still Anglican. QED.

What other dioceses and provinces do is up to them, because there is no central authority. There are already those that are in communion with Canterbury that don't accept some that have been ordained in the ECUSA.

As I look out my window this morning, the sun rose in the East.

Yes that's a particularly typical ECUSA response. As long as we're in communion with Canterbury we don't give a damn what the other dioceses and provinces do. Let me just remind you that the Anglican Communion's bonds of affections are not just vertical through the office of the Archbishop of Canterbury but are horizontal as well, among the provinces.

It is not too hard to imagine a scenario in the near future, in which the Archbishop of Canterbury could be forced to make a choice between recognising ECUSA and perhaps Canada over against the majority of the third world provinces. What does he do in that situation? It will be a tragedy whichever way it goes, but the sun is still going to rise and still going to set.

quote:
Griswold and Gene R being "gracious" is a crock. Having his partner participate in the service, including handing him his mitre is a bit in-your-face, is it not?

No. The family of +Vincent participated when he was consecrated the Bishop of Olympia. His daughter even proved she can't sing--during the Communion of the People. (If I remember correctly, she attempted to sing "Amazing Grace.") That was in your face!

(Sidenote: At the time, the place where +Vincent was consecrated was still the hockey rink for the Seattle Thunderbirds. So, what was so unusual for consecrating +Gene in a rink?)

quote:

GR's gracious words are just that -- words.

Mr. Punk, I'm amazed you forgot what is said in the Holy Bible™ about the power of the words we say. So, saying they were "only words" denies the authority of Scripture.

At least ++Frank has shown graciousness towards those who disagree through all of this. Somewhere I get the feeling that ++Frank understands that Jesus Christ is life; all the rest are just details.

quote:

I'll take "it sure as heck has a funny way of showing it at times" as a compliment. Why, we have even been known to take in ex-fundamentalists, Roman Catholics, former members of the Disciples of Christ, and even an atheist or two. Think of it as the reverse of an occasional military maxim of "kill everyone and let God sort it out." We take everyone, and let God shower grace upon them.

I'll also agree that the reactionaries appear to me to be a bit confused in walking out over +Gene when there are matters that do have more importance. Where were their priorities? I think there was something said about straining at gnats that applies here.

quote:

Clearly, there are a lot of Christians in the ECUSA. But there are a lot of Christians in the Rotary Club, too.

If we are to take C.S. Lewis's example from The Last Battle as correct, we might be amazed with whom we will be spending eternity. We might find that +Gene will lay down with Fr. Fox!

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
I saw that the arhcbishop in Kenya had objected -- when he himself is in violation of so many basic Christian standards that his standing must be questioned. (But, notably, none of the other African bishops have even noticed, much less critcized his activities, so I guess we can conclude that only sex matters when it comes to sin).

It's just a tragedy this thread isn't in hell, already. What do you mean about the Archbishop of Kenya? Do you even know who the current Archbishop of Kenya is? I have also heard rumours about the previous Archbishop of Kenya, but none of them proven. I think allegations like this are pretty serious. So you'd better put up or shut up.

quote:
I saw bishops questioning Robinson's consecration who have for decades ignored the grotesque promiscuity that has made AIDS the killer it is in East Africa -- but then, they're straight, not gay, so maybe it's not really a sin, despite what the gospels say.
Names please, or this is again unfair. Back in the late 1980s and perhaps into the 1990s, there was indeed a huge amount of denial in the African church, and in African society in general about AIDS. It was a huge shock, but a great deal of AIDS work is now being led by Anglicans, especially in Uganda.

quote:
Now, don't get me started on the problems I have with the other side in this discussion. The one thing they seem to share is that they cannot accept that those with whom they disagree may also be seeking to do God's will. Christian charity? Ha!

John Holding

You're absolutely oozing with Christian charity, aren't you?

quote:

If we are to take C.S. Lewis's example from The Last Battle as correct, we might be amazed with whom we will be spending eternity. We might find that +Gene will lay down with Fr. Fox!

That would be interesting to see. [Big Grin]

(And I appreciate your gracious response to my ornery post.)

Posted by Balaam (# 4543) on :

To The Bede's American Successor,

Jugular has been gracious enough to open a thread in Hell on the very points you quote from Mark the Punk. I would be interested to see your contribution there.

quote:
Yes that's a particularly typical ECUSA response. As long as we're in communion with Canterbury we don't give a damn what the other dioceses and provinces do. Let me just remind you that the Anglican Communion's bonds of affections are not just vertical through the office of the Archbishop of Canterbury but are horizontal as well, among the provinces.

Yes, I assume the Anglican Church in Kenya will still take money donated through Episcopal Relief and Development.

To respond to you adequately, I would need to discuss the ordination of women (a practice from the early church) and the acceptance of those other than heterosexual in the church (which did happen in some places). Of course, to do so would immediately cross into Dead Horse territory.

May I suggest you loosen up and read this?

quote:

Which activities would they be then?

Andrew Carey wrote:

quote:
It's not to do with any sort of theology of 'taint' or anything like that, but the fact that the majority of Anglicans don't believe Robinson should have been consecrated. Archbishop Rowan has pointed out, Gene Robinson could not have been consecrated in nearly all of the provinces of the Anglican Communion. They believe it means ECUSA, Robinson and the participating bishops have acted outside the Anglican tradition and therefore they don't recognise the validity of the consecration.
Thanks for this, Andrew, but I'm still confused as to why a belief that Canon Robinson should not have been consecrated (a perfectly reasonable view to hold) implies a belief that his consecration, once it has taken place, is not valid.

I don't see why disapproval(however great)of the man and/or his lifestyle, and a belief (however strongly held) that he is utterly unfit to be a Bishop, has anything to do with whether his orders are valid or not. After all, the Borgia Pope could ordain priests every bit as validly - no more, no less - than the saintliest bishop who ever lived.

So I'd appreciate further elucidation. Is this a Catholic/Evangelical thing?

Again, thanks. I'm grateful you took the time to write.

Posted by Alt Wally (# 3245) on :

quote:
by Alwyn: I wonder what Shipmates in ECUSA think about this response?
That it is God's place to judge if we are living up to the obligations of being a Christian or not. That goes without saying though I guess. Mostly I would say that it's sad to see the recriminations flying around. A lot of people are really hurting over this. I suppose I remain the hopeless pollyanna that believes somehow a way can still be found to move forward that keeps us as a family.

I've checked a few news sites this morning and it actually looks like most of the African primates are specifically severing or loosening ties with the Diocese of New Hampshire. The strongest words I've seen so far have actually come from Reform in the U.K.

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
To The Bede's American Successor,

Jugular has been gracious enough to open a thread in Hell on the very points you quote from Mark the Punk. I would be interested to see your contribution there.

My pain medication is working today, so I might not be as much fun as I was over the weekend. Besides, there is a bigger fish to fry on this thread.

(It just so happens it was the thread in Hell that moved me back over here. This proves that I don't respond to every thread out there.)

In a strange way I think I understand Mr. Punk. I can be a bit provacative myself at times. I also note that he can take a joke (as well as make them).

quote:
quote:

Which activities would they be then?
These would accepting as a gift from the goverment a farm whose previous owner was evicted without compenstation for being white, as part of the government's land reform campaign, and for tben evicting the (black) african workers who lived and worked on the farm and installing his son as the new owner-operator.

I leave out his slavish support for President Mugabe, and his silence in the face of the obvious injustices being perpetrated in Kenya under the present regime.

John Holding

quote:
These would accepting as a gift from the goverment a farm whose previous owner was evicted without compenstation for being white, as part of the government's land reform campaign, and for tben evicting the (black) african workers who lived and worked on the farm and installing his son as the new owner-operator.

I leave out his slavish support for President Mugabe, and his silence in the face of the obvious injustices being perpetrated in Kenya under the present regime.

John Holding

It's a big continent isn't it? Easy to get Zimbabwe and Kenya mixed up.

Please tell me that you're trying to wind us up?

[ 03. November 2003, 15:45: Message edited by: Andrew Carey ]

John Holding: watch it with the allegations. If you cannot produce evidence to support your claims, zip it.

Erin
Community Editor

Posted by Andrew Carey
quote:
quote:

John Holding

You're absolutely oozing with Christian charity, aren't you?
Yeah. AS other people have said, referring to both sides, the advocates are the major problem in my coming to an agreement with the positions they espouse.

I have already clarified my remarks about the Archbishop in Kenya. AS as for the church leaders in East African, they may (now) by gfighting AIDS, after decades of ignoring it, but are they suddenly preaching agasint the promisuous behaviour that caused the epidemic in the first place?

Let me make clear, which perhaps I did not earlier, that in my criticisms of a number of bishops who happen to be African (in the examples I have used), I did not mean to suggest that other bishops in all countries have not also equally excused promiscuity and ignored various sins. I meant only to demonstrate that many (all?) bishops, not just gay bishops, are sinners and deserve whatever is being handed out to the Bishop of New Hampshire.

BTW, you have not indicated why gayness invalidates orders when other sins do not, and about the validity of the episcopal actions of other gay priests and bishops if Robinson is not validly a bishop.

John Holding

[Edited UBB for quote and attribution]

[ 03. November 2003, 16:00: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
John Holding: watch it with the allegations. If you cannot produce evidence to support your claims, zip it.

Erin
Community Editor

Ye gods, give me a chance to read the responses and type an answer. I'm not doing this at home.

And I am sorry -- I did indeed make a mistake and confused Kenya and Zimbabwe.

John Holding

quote:
Originally posted by Alt Wally:
most of the African primates are specifically severing or loosening ties with the Diocese of New Hampshire.

I imagine the average African Christian is slightly more likely to know where New Hampshire is than the average American Christian is likely to know where, say, Machakos is. But only slightly more likely.

So the earth is not yet shaking.

quote:
And I am sorry -- I did indeed make a mistake and confused Kenya and Zimbabwe.

Bloody Mexicans.

quote:
Originally posted by Alwyn:

I wonder what Shipmates in ECUSA think about this response?

If you are a Shipmate in ECUSA, and pro +Gene, do you have any suggestions for fellow Anglicans about how we should respond to statements like Andrew's?

Like many others, I want to encourage mutual understanding, not separation. I hope that Anglicans in other countries who support +Gene, will show that this is not a dispute between 'ECUSA and the rest of the Anglican Communion'.

A.
CofE, and pro +Gene

What do we think? Well, I have the hubris to believe that I am still a Christian (I believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord ... all that stuff in the Creeds), that I am trying to live a Christian life and work on turning the other cheek, loving my enemies and blessing those who curse me. Bless you, Andrew.

And I still have the hubris to believe that my parish and the entire ECUSA is part of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church...

And that we went on trying to be the people of God in Gaithersburg yesterday. The Word of God was preached, the Eucharist was celebrated, five people (one adult, two teens and two babies) were baptized into Christ's Body, the Church. Kids attended Sunday School and took part in a mini-walk to help the homeless after each service.

Likewise, all over the ECUSA yesterday, much the same sort of thing went on. Worship happened, communion happened, and by God's boundless grace, the Body of Christ was recreated once again around countless altars.

By the grace of God, the church will get through this if we focus on what is important ... being the Body of Christ in a broken world ... and if we can keep the discourse civil and really listen to each other

and love each other as ourselves ...

And as my good buddy St. Paul would remind us, "The eye cannot say to the hand, 'I have no need of you.' (i Cor. 12:21)

quote:
Originally posted by irreverentkit:
What do we think? Well, I have the hubris to believe that I am still a Christian (I believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord ... all that stuff in the Creeds), that I am trying to live a Christian life and work on turning the other cheek, loving my enemies and blessing those who curse me. Bless you, Andrew.

So I'm supposed to have cursed you. Now that's a new definition of curse.

quote:
By the grace of God, the church will get through this if we focus on what is important ... being the Body of Christ in a broken world ... and if we can keep the discourse civil and really listen to each other

and love each other as ourselves ...

And as my good buddy St. Paul would remind us, "The eye cannot say to the hand, 'I have no need of you.' (i Cor. 12:21)

And that's the impression that a huge number of us have about what ECUSA has just done -- said to us that 'I have no need of you'. From Lambeth 1998 through successive Primates Meetings and ACC meetings, ECUSA has had sufficient warning (direct and indirect) that taking such steps would impair or break the Anglican Communion. ECUSA walked into this with eyes wide open, refusing to believe the clear statements, so pleae don't act all aggrieved and self-righteous now. And don't put the breaking of communion on anyone else. ECUSA has judged this to be a justice issue that it is worth creating division over -- at least admit it and take some pride in your principles.

Perhaps those who are getting vocal (again) about +Gene Robinson might care to take a look in Hell at 'Today I shall have impaired communion with...', (a matter already alluded to by John Holding) then report back on how they justify their priorities.

A news story about The Archbishop of Zimbabwe's behavior is here .

Posted by eeGAD (# 4675) on :

I should probably find a better place to ask this question . . . God forgive me for asking this in Hell, but Andrew said something that I found was succinct enough for me to respond. (Hellhosts, please move this if it belongs someplace else)

quote:
ECUSA has judged this to be a justice issue that it is worth creating division over.

Does this mean that the consecration of GR is considered heresy?

As one who is quite ignorant of the politics of religion I'm attempting to understand both sides of this issue. Having very limited access to resources for references, I thought maybe the thought-provoking group here at the ship would be an interesting place to start my schooling.

eeG

[ 03. November 2003, 17:23: Message edited by: eeGAD ]

Posted by Sarkycow (# 1012) on :

Psst, eeGAD, you're in Purgatory currently...

quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
Psst, eeGAD, you're in Purgatory currently...

yeah, yeah, yeah . . . soon as I was outta time to edit the blasted thing I realized I had mis-spoken.

I knew it wouldn't be long before you or Pants called me on this one. damn.

mea culpa Oh Great Sarkycow.

Now what about my question . . . .

Posted by Mr Callan (# 525) on :

quote:
They believe it means ECUSA, Robinson and the participating bishops have acted outside the Anglican tradition and therefore they don't recognise the validity of the consecration. It is regarded as a step so serious that communion is broken.
If they don't recognise the validity of the consecration they are heretics - Donatists to be precise. I don't imagine that any of the above is going to make the argument go away. Luther's objection to the Papacy didn't include the argument that Fr. Borgia wasn't really a Bishop. But if you are correct in your assessment of the traditionalist position (and you are the expert)then it is another example of the traditionalists abandoning Anglicanism for sectarianism in the cause of gay bashing.

If they think that ECUSA were wrong to consecrate +Gene, well that's a different matter. I am not naive about the strength of feeling about the consecration in some circles (you'd have to have come from a different planet wouldn't you) but if this is about the validity of +Gene's orders, as opposed the propriety of ordaining him then I suggest that the conservatives stop pretending to be the defenders of Christian orthodoxy unless St Augustine got it wrong and Donatus was right. +Gene is a validly consecrated bishop as much as ++ Carey was. He may be a very bad bishop, but unless you overturn 1600 or so years of Christian history (why does that argument sound familiar?) he is a bishop, nonetheless.

quote:
And that's the impression that a huge number of us have about what ECUSA has just done -- said to us that 'I have no need of you'. From Lambeth 1998 through successive Primates Meetings and ACC meetings, ECUSA has had sufficient warning (direct and indirect) that taking such steps would impair or break the Anglican Communion. ECUSA walked into this with eyes wide open, refusing to believe the clear statements, so pleae don't act all aggrieved and self-righteous now. And don't put the breaking of communion on anyone else. ECUSA has judged this to be a justice issue that it is worth creating division over -- at least admit it and take some pride in your principles.

I'm still here, I'm still at the table, and I'm willing to talk. (and let me point out that although I support NH and +Gene, I had NO direct involvement in this ... I was not a delegate at General Convention ... I am a bystander and an observer as much as you or anyone else in ECUSA.)

Do you want division? You can divide. Or do you want to stay in communion and hang in there and duke it out with the rest of the church? Then stay and duke it out. As I said before, I don't seek or desire any divison. We do not have to divide. We can get through this if folks are willing to persevere.

Posted by The Wanderer (# 182) on :

I shouldn't have been, but I was astounded by this comment (from the CNN report):
quote:
The American Anglican Council issued a strong statement shortly after the consecration asking for people to redirect their financial giving "to ministries or organizations that call Jesus Lord".
Consecrating +Robinson may have been arrogant, insular, and lacking in care for the rest of the Anglican Communion (not saying it was, BTW, just that I can understand thise objections). But to say that it denies the Lordship of Jesus seems to me to straining language to breaking point, so that words no longer mean what they always used to mean.

Posted by Faithful Sheepdog (# 2305) on :

quote:
Do you want division? You can divide. Or do you want to stay in communion and hang in there and duke it out with the rest of the church? Then stay and duke it out. As I said before, I don't seek or desire any divison. We do not have to divide. We can get through this if folks are willing to persevere.

I'm afraid that I find this line of argument naive and inadequate. It's like a married man, who's been cheating on his wife, complaining vociferously when the wife finally packs her bags and walks. "But honey," he says, " how could you possibly destroy our marriage like this?"

The short answer is that the marriage was broken and destroyed a lot earlier by the adulterous and unfaithful behaviour. The wife who leaves is simply acknowledging the fact that her marriage no longer exists.

I choose the marriage analogy deliberately, since in the OT faithless and apostate Israel is often called adulterous. Those who have pushed ECUSA into the present developments are responsible for the breach of communion.

Neil

Posted by ebor (# 5122) on :

Is the problem with the consecration of Canon Robinson one of sexuality or ecclesiology or cannot the two be divided?

I have no problems with his sexuality, but am uneasy with ECUSA's seeming unwillingness (from my perspective) to listen to other parts of the Anglican body.

This is may be a false perception - on my part - but it is one, I think, shared by a number of other Anglicans.

I want to re-iterate, I am liberal on issues of sexuality, but cautious about breaking bonds of fellowship. It is not enough for supporters of Bishop Robinson to say that it is conservatives who are breaking communion. The consecration itself may precipitate such a fracture.

I am still hopeful that a way made be found out of this mire, and supportive of Rowan Cantuar's attempts to do it.

The fact that we are in this mess seems proof that we have forgotten (liberals, conservatives and catholics) about issues which surround the nature of Church.

Blessings

Ebor

Posted by Papio (# 4201) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Faithful Sheepdog:
quote:

I'm afraid that I find this line of argument naive and inadequate. It's like a married man, who's been cheating on his wife, complaining vociferously when the wife finally packs her bags and walks. "But honey," he says, " how could you possibly destroy our marriage like this?"

The short answer is that the marriage was broken and destroyed a lot earlier by the adulterous and unfaithful behaviour. The wife who leaves is simply acknowledging the fact that her marriage no longer exists.

I choose the marriage analogy deliberately, since in the OT faithless and apostate Israel is often called adulterous. Those who have pushed ECUSA into the present developments are responsible for the breach of communion.

Neil

So your point is that Christians who hold to a conservative view on this issue are the victims of repeated and totally unjustified abuse by ECUSA and other liberals?

TBH, I think you should have a ickle thunk about the tremendous damage that the anti-gay lobby has perpetrated against other Christains on the basis of their sexuality.

So, hey. Like, wow. We have an openly gay bishop. How awful!! It's the end of the world etc etc etc etc. You honestly think +Gene is the first gay bishop?

I would say more if this wasn't in Purg. But, if you haven't got the point by now, I think your analogy is totally and completely bogus.

quote:

Neil

Appeal to Host

To respond adequately to this requires entering Dead Horse territory, which isn't even allowed in Hell. While I know some of my posts have taken the boat in close to the shoals, I have at least tried to keep from crossing that line. When I see something like this, I feel like I am fighting with both hands tied behind my back, since someone was allowed to call certain groups in the ECUSA "faithless and apostate" and "responsible for the breach of communion."

End Appeal

I guess all I can say is that:

quote:
Originally posted by ebor:
I have no problems with his sexuality, but am uneasy with ECUSA's seeming unwillingness (from my perspective) to listen to other parts of the Anglican body.

This is may be a false perception - on my part - but it is one, I think, shared by a number of other Anglicans.

I want to re-iterate, I am liberal on issues of sexuality, but cautious about breaking bonds of fellowship. It is not enough for supporters of Bishop Robinson to say that it is conservatives who are breaking communion. The consecration itself may precipitate such a fracture.

The post immediately preceding yours is a fantastic illustration of why the ECUSA doesn't appear to give two shits about what the rest of the Anglican Communion thinks. If this is what passes for fellowship in the rest of the Anglican Communion:

quote:

the rest of the Anglican Communion is cordially invited to fuck off as far away from the United States as they can get. Good riddance.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
Appeal to Host

To respond adequately to this requires entering Dead Horse territory, which isn't even allowed in Hell.

Just to clarify. There is nothing to say that mentioning a subject covered by another active thread isn't permitted. What we do ask is that people restrain from entire posts, or worse still several posts in response to each other, that covers a subject under discussion on another thread. This is inorder to allow the thread to continue without being distracted down a tangent (naturally, if there is no active thread on the subject of the tangent feel free to start one). Threads in Dead Horses are active threads, it's just that they are subjects that keep recurring and have no obvious conclusion.

We have no intention to force people to express their arguments with arms tied. We also don't want to see one thread swamped by discussions that are tangential.

Alan
Purgatory host

[can't even get my own UBB right!]

[ 03. November 2003, 21:16: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Alan - I am not sure if my post went too far for Purg and I rather suspect that it was strictly DH material. Sorry for this.

quote:
Originally posted by ebor:

We don't listen?

Let's say for a moment the ECUSA is wrong with +Gene. What is the definition of true religion in the Hebrew and Christian scriptures? Isn't there something about caring for the poor, widowed, and orphaned?

quote:
We don't listen?

Let's say for a moment the ECUSA is wrong with +Gene. What is the definition of true religion in the Hebrew and Christian scriptures? Isn't there something about caring for the poor, widowed, and orphaned?

Yes and the African churches know they will get less help from the American church for the stand they are taking and are prepared to do without for their principles. That is the reality.

[Edited for UBB.]

[ 03. November 2003, 21:55: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

Stick to writing about the Church of England, Andrew, and quit pretending you know anything about the ECUSA. Our diocese (one of many) is quite illegally diverting its national church contribution to "conservative" organizations, including churches in Africa whom you fear are going to suffer. They are NOT going to suffer. The ECUSA might, though.

So quit bellyaching about the poor benighted African church. There are plenty of raving conservative lunatics in the ECUSA who will make sure they are heartily rewarded for their bigotry.

quote:
Stick to writing about the Church of England, Andrew, and quit pretending you know anything about the ECUSA. Our diocese (one of many) is quite illegally diverting its national church contribution to "conservative" organizations, including churches in Africa whom you fear are going to suffer. They are NOT going to suffer. The ECUSA might, though.

So quit bellyaching about the poor benighted African church. There are plenty of raving conservative lunatics in the ECUSA who will make sure they are heartily rewarded for their bigotry.

I can only say that I applaud your diocese - Bishop Jecko has my respect.

If us liberals can put up with more than one homophobic Bishop can't you put up with a gay one?

Honestly, it's not so much to ask is it?

Interesting, Andrew. You rant and rave about how the ECUSA did something illegal when it goes against your principles, but when some reactionary knuckle-dragging redneck does something illegal that AGREES with your principles, you applaud.

Hmmmm... what is the word for that...?

quote:
Interesting, Andrew. You rant and rave about how the ECUSA did something illegal when it goes against your principles, but when some reactionary knuckle-dragging redneck does something illegal that AGREES with your principles, you applaud.

I'm reliably informed by you, no less, in another thread that 'knuckle-dragging redneck' is a racist term. I didn't think that was allowed on Ship of Fools.

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

Host

Andrew Carey, if you want to take issue with Erin as a shipmate, take the matter to Hell. If you want to take issue with Erin as an administrator, take the matter to the Styx. Do not argue the matter here in Purgatory.

/Host

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Host

Andrew Carey, if you want to take issue with Erin as a shipmate, take the matter to Hell. If you want to take issue with Erin as an administrator, take the matter to the Styx. Do not argue the matter here in Purgatory.

/Host

My apologies to Tortuf and to Erin. It's late and I'm still working and I shouldn't be distracting myself here at the moment.

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

Thank you.

Way to ignore my point, Andrew. And please quote me the rule that says redneck is out of bounds.

[oops crosspost, sorry Tortuf]

[ 03. November 2003, 22:19: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

Andrew,

In fairness, I think it was I who noted that, as Erin had called her own bishop a knuckle-dragging redneck, that what she'd said about the African bishops was not racist, but rather in keeping with this sort of fair comment. I did not mean to say that redneck was racist. It is emphatically not, and I did not say it was.

Redneck is an affectionate/insulting term for southern whites (though race isn't really involved. It originated with the red necks from sunburn hatless farming gave poor southern farmers. In the US, redneckism is tradtionally associated with, well ... unenlightened views on politics, race relations, etcetera.

Calling someone redneck is no more racist than calling someone a "visigoth" would be. It once denoted a group of people, which it still does, but is now more associated with the supposedly unenlightened views traditionally associated with poor southern farmers.

I do think it should be thought-provoking the company the anti-Robinson movement is keeping. I think many foreign bishops would be shocked at the anti-progressive views that characterizes their bedfellows here (and I don't just mean creationism, though I find that view more dangerous than racism).

[ 03. November 2003, 22:37: Message edited by: Laura ]

Faithful Sheepdog, your last post is much maligned . . . and right on target. [Overused]

quote:
by FS: Those who have pushed ECUSA into the present developments are responsible for the breach of communion.
Who are those people? People for recognizing Gays? Ordaining women? People who have left the church or people who remain and are complacent? People who take a literal view of the Bible? People who take an interpretive view of the Bible? People who don't think about the Bible? People who have tolerated watered down theological positions? People who never think about theology?

Is it possible that whatever position the church is in now, we've all played a part?

I wonder.

Posted by Henry Troup (# 3722) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
If us liberals can put up with more than one homophobic Bishop can't you put up with a gay one?

Not to mention that the female bishops from North America constitute just as big a break with history, and just as radical a re-reading of Scripture.

quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:

Not to mention that the female bishops from North America constitute just as big a break with history, and just as radical a re-reading of Scripture.
At the risk of Dead Horse material, actually the ordination of women to the three historic orders is a return to the practice of the early church (first 300-500 years, more or less). However you read Scripture on this one, early Tradition sides with the ECUSA.

Well, Alt Wally, at the big Plano meeting, conservatives publicly repented of their role in the ECUSA reaching its present state. So even conservatives acknowledge that it's not all the Liberals fault.

HT, without boring people with the details and beating a dead horse, this is a significently bigger break with scripture.

quote:
HT, without boring people with the details and beating a dead horse, this is a significently bigger break with scripture.

In your opinion.

Some of us don't believe that the consecration of women as bishops was a radical re-reading of Scripture.

Ebor

Fair enough - there is a big debate on how to interpret scripture in both these areas. Which is why I found MtP's bland assertion fatuous.

Posted by dyfrig (# 15) on :

I really can't help but be amused at the fact the very same arguments against consecrating Robinson - break with traditional teaching, unilateralism, not listening, it'll create peopl ewho aren't really ordained to that office, it's not scriptural and it's just plain wrong - were all used some 10 years.

A friend of mine was sitting at General Synod once, doing some administrative role.

In front of her was a bald man with glasses who, at that meeting, presided over a substantial change to the understanding of the orders of the Church of England, a man who, if I have understood correctly, actively encouraged the ministration of ordained women from outside England whilst he was a parish priest even though the tradition of his own church and the majority of the communion at that time said that such persons were not priests at all and should not be even considered for ordination.

MtP:

Don't think we haven't noticed that you haven't answered Erin's question.

Posted by Chesterbelloc (# 3128) on :

quote:
At the risk of Dead Horse material, actually the ordination of women to the three historic orders is a return to the practice of the early church (first 300-500 years, more or less). However you read Scripture on this one, early Tradition sides with the ECUSA.

Even at the risk of extending the tangent, I just couldn't let this pass in a serious discusssion.

FWIW, I haven't encountered a single argument questioning GR's consecration on the grounds of it being "invalid", or because it might affect the validity of those he will ordain - it's just not an issue of Catholic order in that sense at all. He's a real live bishop, who can make real live priests and deacons, and bless oils, and everything. The decision to consecrate him was based on his perceived qualities and defended in on the grounds of justice. Everyone with a Catholic understanding of the Sacrament of Order would be pretty much obliged to accept that, if any ECUSA bishop is a real bishop, then +Gene is one. "Lifestyle" issues are not impediments to the efficacy of the Sacrament. [As it happens, I don't think the issues are of the "lifestyle" kind in the case of acceptance of women's orders, but that really is a Dead Horse*]

The same arguments (justice, vocation, lack of relevant impediment) were the ones which prevailed in the case of ordaining women to the presbyterate/episcopate. But it is at the very very best highly contentious to claim that it was a return to ancient practice. At the worst, it's just plain crazy given the "evidence". Name me even one bit of uncontentious and historically respectable evidence of there having been acceptance of women priests (let alone bishops!) in the ancient Church (i.e. where its being practised or argued for is not immediately condemned by the wider Church). There's volumes of evidence (implict and explicit) to the contrary. If it had received anything like acceptance by the Church at any time we'd have heard a lot more about it, believe me. The Church is often at her loudest when she condemns what she sees as widespread error, or where she corrects her own past errors (cf the Arian controversy). The case for women in the pr/ep would be weak indeed if it relied on the historical evidence.

In other words, the historical argument is a complete red herring in this case, every bit as much as it would be in the case of +GR. If the Church is right to ordain women and "practising" homosexuals, then it is right to do so even in the teeth of a universal history of opposition to these issues - if justice demands it, and the Spirit is really calling these people to this ministry, then the history is not relevant. But these are obviously big "ifs" to many people.

+Gene has my prayers and best wishes, but I wish that things had not come to this. I have to admit, of course, that the Spirit may have a special purpose in bringing the Church to this place, but I can't be sure that we're where He wants us to be right now. And that will be as much my fault as anyone else's.

CB

*I say this in the interests of honesty - it's only fair that I should fess up to this. No single opinion of mine, on or off the Ship, has caused me as much personal difficulty and trouble with other good folk as my agnosticism about women's orders - I really don't want to go there again. I mean that.

[ 04. November 2003, 11:50: Message edited by: Chesterbelloc ]

quote:

Nonsense. The DH thread amply demonstrates that the appointment of +Gene may well not have been a break from scripture in any sense.

quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
a man who, if I have understood correctly, actively encouraged the ministration of ordained women from outside England whilst he was a parish priest even though the tradition of his own church and the majority of the communion at that time said that such persons were not priests at all and should not be even considered for ordination.

If you mean Andrew's father, then, yes, that was the case when I was a parishioner of his.

But it's really irrelevant to this issue because that was about a theological disagreement, this is about an ethical one. (And yes, I know theology and ethics are related, but they are also different)

The "high-church" opponents of the ordination of women simply deny that it is possible for women to be ordained (some of the very few envangelical opponents seem to have thought it possible, but almost always undesirable)

The opponents of the ordination of Gene Robinson (& I suppose I am one, though I find myself astonished that this in one of the very few subjects on which I don't have a strong opinion - I don't know why, it's just hard to get worked up about it when there is so much else crap going on) if they are being consistent have to accept that Gene Robinson is a priest, and is a bishop. At worst he is a sinful priest - which would certainly be a Bad Thing, but hardly a new thing in the Church.

They might be saying that it is such a bad thing that they want to separate themselves from a church that thought it was a good thing - but that's still not the same as saying it is an impossible thing.

Which is why this fuss is all a storm in a teacup. Yes, a divide now exists, or has been widened, between us and New Hampshire. But a much bigger divide has existed for the last decade between the parish I worship at and the very next door parish, whose vicar refuses to accept our vicar as a priest.

Which is why going on about "once upon a time we didn't ordain women", although true, is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

(And trying to compare it with racism, saying "once upon a time we didn't ordain blacks" is even more irrelevant, because as well as being insulting its not true - I doubt if there was any part of the Anglican church that had a written rule about not ordaining black people, and if there was it would have been PECUSA. Anglicans and Presbyterians, and Methodists, were ordaining African ministers right through the 19th century, and the Catholics and Orthodox have been for all of their history)

quote:
A friend of mine was sitting at General Synod once, doing some administrative role.

In front of her was a bald man with glasses who, at that meeting, presided over a substantial change to the understanding of the orders of the Church of England, a man who, if I have understood correctly, actively encouraged the ministration of ordained women from outside England whilst he was a parish priest even though the tradition of his own church and the majority of the communion at that time said that such persons were not priests at all and should not be even considered for ordination.

Dyfrig, your point is unclear to me. It might make a little more sense to me if I agreed with you that the ordination of women as priests was a change to the threefold ministry of the Church.

I'm also unclear what you mean about encouraging the ministration of a woman whose ministry was not permitted in the C of E. There's no need to speak in coy hints, just say what you mean.

Ken, there is indeed a category distinction between the ordination of women (which I would regard as anthropological (sic) ) and of gay persons (which is ethical), but they are both theological, and the point that I was making was that opponents of both have used the same set of arguments - the irony is that active proponents of the first (btw, I am referring to Monica Furlong's assertion that your father allowed women priests to preside in services in his parish long before 1992) found ways around those arguments in 1992, but are using ones of the same type now.

Can I ask a couple of questions of clarification?

What is the DH thread?

Canon Gene Robinson became Bishop-cosomething of New Hampshire on Sunday. What have been the responses of the rest of the Anglican Communion?

Cheers

Ebor

Bracketed comments are of course addressed to Andrew.

Forgive me if my last but one post sounded condescending, but I cannot help but be amused by it all - to argue from the Bible or Tradition on one topic, but to argue around that very same Bible or Tradition on another, especially when I'd say that both Scripture and Tradition are (all things considered) for more explicitly against the presidency of women than they are against faithful, monogamous seme-sex relationships.

Ebor. The DH thread is the thread called "homosexuality and christianity" on the Dead Horses board. It contains a lengthy yet highly interesting discussion as to whether scripture rules out homosexual practice or not.

Ken wrote:

quote:
The opponents of the ordination of Gene Robinson . . . if they are being consistent have to accept that Gene Robinson is a priest, and is a bishop. At worst he is a sinful priest - which would certainly be a Bad Thing, but hardly a new thing in the Church.
This is Catholic doctrine as I was taught it and have always understood it. My confirmation class textbook in 1967-68, when I was 15, was the once-well-known "The Christian Faith", by C B Moss, who would in those days have been called a "Prayer Book Catholic". In Chapter 63, Moss wrote:

quote:
The intention of ordination is that the bishop ordaining or consecrating intends to admit the candidate to one of the three Holy Orders of the Catholic Church. It is not necessary that his personal belief about the functions of those who are ordained should be orthodox; nor is internal intention necessary, for if it were, we could never be certain that anyone was rightly ordained. (In Spain in the fifteenth century there were many bishops who were secretly Jews; the notorious Bishop Talleyrand, afterwards Napoleon’s minister, was an open unbeliever; but those whom such men ordained were held to be validly ordained.)
The other textbook from which I was taught the Faith was "A Theological Introduction to the Thirty-Nine Articles of the Church of England", by E J Bicknell (another Prayer Book Catholic). His discussion of Article XXVI ends with the startling words,

quote:
"We have no reason to suppose that Judas' ministry was any less productive of good results than that of the other Apostles."
You can't get more emphatic than that!

So I really am anxious, given the importance of this issue to the future of the Anglican Communion, to grasp why some within the communion hold + Gene Robinson's orders to be invalid. To do so seems to contradict the doctrine of orders that I was taught and have always believed.

(I'm not seeking to argue about it - just to understand.)

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

Talleyrand is an excellent example of how extremely basic matters which ought to have disqualified one from being ordained/consecrated, or in honesty directed that a biship step down, and the Church nonetheless recognizes the ordination valid and the works of the bishop as works of a bishop.

I keep asking this until I feel my head will explode, but what is so bloody different about this one sin (stipulating for purposes of argument that it is a sin) that the bishop of Nigeria gets to say that people in league with Satan have taken over the ECUSA? I mean, really. And what is so different about this one sin that it justifies a schism?

(I'll concede that the difference between ordaining women vs. ordaining gays, is that nobody was even then arguing that simply being female and engaging in physical acts of love as a woman was sinful or against scripture in some way)

quote:
by Laura: I keep asking this until I feel my head will explode, but what is so bloody different about this one sin (stipulating for purposes of argument that it is a sin) that the bishop of Nigeria gets to say that people in league with Satan have taken over the ECUSA?
I think simply stated, it is a cultural taboo. I don't think anyone even really cares whether or not his orders are valid anyway. Seems like a moot point anyhow as it appears Nigeria and Kenya have declared the intention not to go to meetings where the ECUSA is present or to share communion. The story is here CNN

[ 04. November 2003, 14:58: Message edited by: Alt Wally ]

quote:
Originally posted by Bongo:
MtP:

Don't think we haven't noticed that you haven't answered Erin's question.

Erin asked me a question? [Eek!] [Ultra confused]

Uh, where?

(And, yes, my assertation about the break with Scripture was bland and all that. First, I didn't want to go into DH material. Second, I was lazy. So there. [Razz] )

Yes siree, she did indeed, down there at the bottom of page 2:

quote:

(Okay, it's a rhetorical question - but still!)

[ 04. November 2003, 15:22: Message edited by: Bongo ]

quote:
Bracketed comments are of course addressed to Andrew.

Forgive me if my last but one post sounded condescending, but I cannot help but be amused by it all - to argue from the Bible or Tradition on one topic, but to argue around that very same Bible or Tradition on another, especially when I'd say that both Scripture and Tradition are (all things considered) for more explicitly against the presidency of women than they are against faithful, monogamous seme-sex relationships.

You know that to answer this point would be to go into Dead Horses territory. It is enough to say that I don't agree with you at all, especially your last point.

I do find it condescending that you assume my father's views and mine are identical. Why on earth do you wheel this example out when you're engaging with me? For one thing I'm not bald and don't wear glasses.

[ 04. November 2003, 15:18: Message edited by: Andrew Carey ]

And not addressed to Mark......

Oops. Sorry MtP!

I should not post hastily at work when I think the boss isn't looking!

quote:
quote:

(Okay, it's a rhetorical question - but still. [Biased] )
I don't rant and rave about the illegality of it, (although I think when you put together the years of debate on this issue in ECUSA which had reached no conclusion on the principles involved, there is something very strange about it ending at this point with the consecration of a practising homosexual). I simply think the consecration is plain wrong.

I see no reason therefore why those who oppose this act in principle shouldn't take sanctions by refusing to pay tax to dioceses and national church bodies and indeed other measures to distance themselves from the consecration.

In short, Erin misunderstands.

[UBB for quote]

[ 04. November 2003, 15:33: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

I still find it utterly staggering (to put it mildy) that +Gene is "causing" so much angst and twisting of knickers when it is blatently obvious that he will make a much better bishop then some of the dunderheads who have been bishops for years.

quote:
Oops. Sorry MtP!

I should not post hastily at work when I think the boss isn't looking!

You are forgiven . . . even if I nearly had a heart attack. [Biased]

I tend to have that effect on men. [Big Grin]

quote:
I think simply stated, it is a cultural taboo. I don't think anyone even really cares whether or not his orders are valid anyway. Seems like a moot point anyhow as it appears Nigeria and Kenya have declared the intention not to go to meetings where the ECUSA is present or to share communion. The story is here CNN

Not quite, the situation in Kenya is fairly nuanced:

quote:
In Kenya, Archbishop Nzimbi said yesterday that his church would now not accept any support from the US Church, including missionaries, though there were signs that the attitudes in his area were more complex. The Kenyan bishop of Eldoret, Thomas Kogo, announced that his diocese would not recognize Canon Robinson but would maintain its ties to the New Hampshire diocese.
I don't think that ++Nzimbi said that his policy would extend to not attending Lambeth conferences if the US was there, either.

All in all, it looks like Peter Akinola has just cut his church off from the Anglican Communion. OOPS!! [Devil]

The whole story can be found here.

I do agree with you about the “cultural taboo” part.

This is from your article Try:

quote:
KENYA 2.5 million worshippers
Likelihood of schism? Has already separated - Archbishop Benjamin Nzimbi became the first to formally sever ties with the Americans, saying yesterday that "the devil has entered the church".

Doesn't sound real nuanced to me. I expect Uganda, the Southern Cone and Australia to follow the lead of Nigeria and Kenya. Whatever your view on this, I think it's asinine to say Nigeria has cut itself off. It would appear as though we're in a raft steadily moving further from the shore, like it or not.

[ 04. November 2003, 16:45: Message edited by: Alt Wally ]

quote:
I don't think that ++Nzimbi said that his policy would extend to not attending Lambeth conferences if the US was there, either.

All in all, it looks like Peter Akinola has just cut his church off from the Anglican Communion. OOPS!! [Devil]

No, the position of Nigeria which is represented in these reports is in fact well represented in a statement issued from the Church of Nigeria on behalf of a working group of the Primates of the global south (Kenya is certainly in agreement with that group). The statement can be found at:

Statement

This working group represents up to 20 of the Provinces. But indicates that each Province will work out what that impaired communion means within its own context and framework. It will be months, and certainly a year when the commission reports, before we know how the impairment of communion is actually carried through.

Before anyone from the Church of England thinks that it is only the African provinces which will have to work it out, the Archbishop of Canterbury has made it clear that there is an impairment of communion between the C of E and New Hampshire as well. The C of E will also not recognise the ministry of Gene Robinson. There are therefore questions over whether those he ordains and confirms will be recognised in anything but a small portion of the Anglican Communion.

[Edited for link.]

[ 04. November 2003, 19:40: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

quote:
quote:

No, the position of Nigeria which is represented in these reports is in fact well represented in a statement issued from the Church of Nigeria on behalf of a working group of the Primates of the global south (Kenya is certainly in agreement with that group). The statement can be found at:

Statement

This working group represents up to 20 of the Provinces. But indicates that each Province will work out what that impaired communion means within its own context and framework. It will be months, and certainly a year when the commission reports, before we know how the impairment of communion is actually carried through.

Before anyone from the Church of England thinks that it is only the African provinces which will have to work it out, the Archbishop of Canterbury has made it clear that there is an impairment of communion between the C of E and New Hampshire as well. The C of E will also not recognise the ministry of Gene Robinson. There are therefore questions over whether those he ordains and confirms will be recognised in anything but a small portion of the Anglican Communion.

"Impaired communion" doesn't mean a [non-purgatorial language deleted]ing thing. We've had impaired communion with lots of people in lots of places over the years, primarily over the woman bishops thing. We still go to Lambeth and we're still part of the Anglican Communion.

As far as I know, only Peter Akinola has decided that he will not attend any event that the ECUSA attends. Since the ECUSA will still attend the Lambeth Conferences (see the ABC's very moderate statement.), if Peter Akinola doesn't change his mind he won't be attending Lambeth any time soon. The other provinces who've signed onto the Global South's statement (not every province in the Global South has) appear to be symbolically cutting their ties to the Diocese of New Hampshire or the ECUSA as a whole, but the only other concrete "consequence" of such impaired communion is Kenya's decision not to accept American money or missionaries. Mr. Akinola may find himself rather lonely.

[Edited for link in quote.]

[ 04. November 2003, 19:43: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

I have no idea if Akinola intends not to go to Lambeth (& anyway there will be a lot of water under a lot of bridges before that cmes round again). But the statement in that link doesn't mention that at all. The main thrust of it is that they want alternative episcopal oversight for ECUSA parishes that reject the consecration.

quote:
"Impaired communion" doesn't mean a [non-purgatorial language deleted]ing thing. We've had impaired communion with lots of people in lots of places over the years, primarily over the woman bishops thing. We still go to Lambeth and we're still part of the Anglican Communion.

As far as I know, only Peter Akinola has decided that he will not attend any event that the ECUSA attends. Since the ECUSA will still attend the Lambeth Conferences (see the ABC's very moderate statement.), if Peter Akinola doesn't change his mind he won't be attending Lambeth any time soon. The other provinces who've signed onto the Global South's statement (not every province in the Global South has) appear to be symbolically cutting their ties to the Diocese of New Hampshire or the ECUSA as a whole, but the only other concrete "consequence" of such impaired communion is Kenya's decision not to accept American money or missionaries. Mr. Akinola may find himself rather lonely.

Who knows Try. what will happen tomorrow? I don't think that Archbishop Akinola will be alone in what he says about non-attendance at meetings at which ECUSA are also represented. You seem pretty sure that ECUSA bishops will be at the next Lambeth Conference -- you may be right, they may be there in a non-voting status or they may not be there at all.

You seem to recognise Archbishop Akinola as a plain 'Mr'. Well that's your prerogative. But as far as I'm aware there were no questions raised by any of the provinces of the Anglican Communion over whether his consecration should have taken place.

/Pedantic mode on

quote:
I expect Uganda, the Southern Cone and Australia to follow the lead of Nigeria and Kenya.

The Primate of Australia has stated, more or less, that he thinks we will all get over it and its a bit sad, but, you know, can't we all be friends...? The only way to have an "official" impaired communion between the provinces of Australia and ECUSA would be by General Synod Vote - and that aint gonna happen any time soon.

OTOH the Diocese of Sydney has yammered on about sin and immorality and the bible - and said that Big Gene is not welcome in their diocese. To quote Gene himself "Oh, I'd be far too busy to teach in one of the Archbishop's Sunday Schools anyway!"

/pedantic mode off

Also, MaryO who was, like, there, started a thread when she could have posted her report here:

quote:
I was in Minneapolis for GC, and I was in Durham for the consecration. I was also at a party thrown by St. John's Portsmouth on Saturday night--a lovely do, and especially gracious since their rector (a charming man by the name of Tim Rich+) will be leaving to be +VGR's Canon to the Ordinary in March.

Saturday night, the street was blocked off by police and fire vehicles. Security guards were at the door and searched people's bags. I got a huge hug from +VGR when he came in, and yes, he was wearing body armor--as he had been in Minneapolis. His partner Mark and daughter Ella were there as well, of course. (I was teasing Mark and said, "I saw the perfect T-shirt for you--it says, 'Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?' above a picture of a basket." He laughed.)

The party ran until 11, and then the guards surrounded +VGR and his family and took them out. (Some of the rest of us found a pub that was still open and repaired thataway.)

Sunday morning lots of people who were staying at the University of New Hampshire Conference Center had breakfast at the dining room--all you can eat for $16.95 (and very good food it was). Folks wandered around the tables greeting each other, I and I got to say hello to +Herb Donovan, whose wife interviewed me for her book on 9/11; Louie Crew, +Orris Walker (LI), and a variety of other people.

I got to the conference center at 2:00, and we had to walk all the way around the front of the soccer field, past the media satellite trucks, and past the protesters. My friend Jan Nunley+ (deputy director of ENS) wandered off to chat with CNN reporters, and finally emerged to go vest with the other processing clergy.

The lay people I was with and I got into a sort-of line in the crowded lobby to get wanded by security. Bags were opened, cell phones examined, shoes removed, and then we got in to get our seats. My group had yellow tickets, which were supposed to get us reserved seats--but someone had forgotten to set up such a section (sigh). Since it was so crowded, I walked around the arena and sat opposite most of the congregation, next to the choir. I was so far forward I could see the musicians' music. I also had a first-rate view of +VGR, his family and presenters, and the attending bishops, for the first part of the service.
(To Be Continued)

quote:

Andrew, point me in the direction that will show me a statement to that effect. I had no idea he'd gone that far.

Sorry Degs, I can't give you chapter and verse right now, because I'm just checking in before flying out of the door. I may be able to get back to you this evening. Dr Williams said this in the press conference after the Primates Meeting, very clearly and I have since then checked with the Lambeth Palace Press Office. I can't remember whether these comments were reported in press coverage after the Primates Meeting a few weeks ago, but it should be fairly easy to check it out.

I'm sorry, I'm just a Presbyterian (though that does make me, technically, a coadjutor-bishop with all my fellow presbyters!)

Can someone explain to me how post facto Gene Robinson's consecration as an openly gay man is different to the apparently accepted apparent fact (I don't want to use the word 'alleged', as it has pejorative overtones!)of the consecration of undeclared gay men in several Anglican provinces? (I am of course open to correction on the facticity of this.)

I'm having a hard time seeing this aspect (validity) of the issue as revolving around anything other than his openness about his lifestyle.

I was once invited to a charity 'race night' (one of those evenings where nugatory 'bets' are placed on the outcome of videos of horse races - nothing to do with the KKK!) by the Rotary Club I was a member of. I went along wearing my clerical collar, said grace at the buffet meal, and then placed some money, in the form of the aforesaid 'nugatory bets', on the outcome of a couple of races. I was gratified when I lost. It was that sort of evening.

In the course of the event, one of the guys came up and thanked me for my attendance, which was much appreciated. He noted, with express pleasure and a little surprise, that I had come and participated attired as a clergyman. (He was an elder, and I suspect a little uneasy, before the evening, about my likely attitude to his participation.) My unthinking and instant response was "Well, if it was wrong, I shouldn't be here at all , should I?"

I can understand people believing and saying that Gene Robinson shouldn't have been consecrated because of his lifestyle. But it seems to me that he has become a storm centre because of his openness and honesty. and that worries me a lot.

Posted by anglicanrascal (# 3412) on :

The Primate of Australia, the Archbishop of Perth, has voiced his objection as well. He almost sounds like he is considering thinking about contemplating looking into becoming orthodox in this kind of thing. [Eek!]

Pax,
anglicanrascal

quote:
Originally posted by psyduck:
Can someone explain to me how post facto Gene Robinson's consecration as an openly gay man is different to the apparently accepted . . . fact of the consecration of undeclared gay men in several Anglican provinces?

Like you, I'm still trying to get my brain around all of this, and I have just one small contribution.

Last night somebody explained to me their objection. It goes something like this . . .

My friend believes that homosexuality is a sin. (see thread in Dead Horses) My friend believes that GR is therefore an unrepentant sinner. If the sin was say, stealing, then we would expect GR to say "I'm sorry I stole, but it was for a good cause - helping the needy etc." However in this case GR is saying "I have done nothing wrong." And he continues to openly sin.

This was a tad bit enlightening to me. Hope it helps. I'm still trying to figure all this out.

eeG

eeGad: I can see your friend's position and understand it. It's just that I'm not quite sure it fits the situation. Isn't it more like having a friend who believes that 'private property is theft', and on that basis objects to the consecration of a bishop because the bishop, although he believes that theft is wrong, doesn't believe baldly that 'private property is theft', says so publicly, owns private property, and doesn't see hmself as a thief?

Whereas several other bishops, not contradicting the opinion that 'private property is theft' (whether they believe it or not) have ben consecrated without fuss because they have their cottages in the Lake District and their Swiss bank accounts discreetly out of sight. I'm not sure that you could class either kind of bishop as an 'unrepentant sinner' - which would certainly be the case with the bishop who writes sermons denouncing the evils of private property from the seclusion of the Surbiton semi he inherted from his granny! (I presume there is no-one in the Anglican episcopal order whose situation in terms of the present debate is analogous to this!)

But this all raises the question of what it means to be a sinner, and a repentant sinner. Is a sinner one whose state is sinful, and who acknowledges this, and asks for and receives forgiveness and acceptance, or rather one who is currently, or has been in the past, involved in doing a sinful thing? Is a repentant sinner one who confesses unworthiness and trusts to grace, or one who says "I did A, B, C, I know A, B, C, were wrong, and I repent of A, B, C?" I am somewhat taken aback that so many of the evangelical opponents of the Consecration seem to articulate the issue more in terms of 'sins' than 'sin'. This seems an example of that kind of thinking, which actually strikes me as much more (pre-Vatican II?) Roman Catholic than Protestant.

And what of the man who says "I am unworthy, I trust entirely to God's grace and mercy, I have done many things in my life which were wrong, here are the ones I remember, I repent specifically and explicitly of them - but this other thing I just cannot understand by any light that God has given as sinful."

Just asking...

Well, now its official

Muslims disown gay cleric. [Killing me]

Is this for real?

quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:
The Primate of Australia, the Archbishop of Perth, has voiced his objection as well. He almost sounds like he is considering thinking about contemplating looking into becoming orthodox in this kind of thing. [Eek!]

Yeah, I read that with interest. It sounds like the main problem he had was with how it was done, with haste, without adequate consulation and all that. He did praise the statement of the Southern Primates though, which goes beyond questions of process.

Still, the ++ of Perth doesn't have reputation of being very conservative, does he? I don't know much about him, but I think I see why you're a bit surprised.

BTW, the statement by the Southern Primates is also interesting, I think. It says communion is impaired but doesn't break it off. And reading between the lines at the end, it seems they don't entirely agree on how to proceed from here.

Posted by Magnum Mysterium (# 3418) on :

I think the primate of Australia is just a little bit afraid of rocking the boat. Won't do anything to encourage the Jensens blah blah blah...

Posted by AdamPater (# 4431) on :

On the other hand, the other ++Peter doesn't seem to be too concerned about getting the rowlocks under the water. I read the Southern Primates' Statement and wondered if he might not have been just a little disappointed that it wasn't as tough as it may have been expected.

<stands back and admires that last woolly sentence. Am I an Anglican yet or what?>

Posted by Cranmer's baggage (# 4937) on :

The statement by the ++ Peter Carnley reads to me as an each-way bet. His concern about process is, I think, widely shared outside ECUSA. Similar words were uttered by others when a certain bishop "jumped the gun" on women's ordination. I certainly don't see any suggestion in his remarks that he will try to escalate the issue. Indeed, he specifically hoses down talk of schism.

quote:
Alt Wally said:
I expect Uganda, the Southern Cone and Australia to follow the lead of Nigeria and Kenya.

I find this extraordinary, and can only assume it comes from a lack of understanding about the Province of Australia. Sure, Sydney is posturing about it, and ++ Peter J has declared + Gene unwelcome as an official visitor in Sydney. I wouldn't let it go to his head - being persona non grata in Sydney isn't that big an achievement. They keep threatening to cut the rest of the country loose, too, but it hasn't happened yet, and I don't think it will. As for the rest of Australia, that's a very diverse and complex creature, comprising some who are of a mind with Sydney and others of a very different complexion.

{edited because making sense is A Good Thing}

[ 06. November 2003, 07:46: Message edited by: Cranmer's baggage ]

Posted by Grey Face (# 4682) on :

Psyduck:

If I have it right, you're saying that you see the "unrepentant sinner" argument as based on the idea that (from the conservative viewpoint) +Robinson is committing a mortal sin and failing to repent of it?

I'm highly confused by this whole issue. The conservatives need to clarify their position, if they have a single one, I think. Taking the following starting points:

a) There's such a thing as a mortal sin
b) Active homosexuality is a mortal sin

Then, there are as I see it 5 reasons for opposing +GR:

1. He's a sinner
2. He's an unrepentant sinner
3. He sets a bad example
4. He teaches dangerous heresy.

Now, I've yet to see 4 given as a reason from the conservative side but it's the only one that keeps me on the fence, and the reason I don't jump off on the conservative side is because I'm not convinced of the validity of a) and b).

Taking the others in turn, we have

1. Donatism
2. Donatism
3. We're not meant to imitate bishops.

So, can any conservatives reading this please clarify, do you believe 4 to be your argument, and if not, can you explain what it could be? The more mathematically inclined will notice that I haven't defined number 5. It starts with "H" and upsets people.

Note to hosts: I'm not flogging the Dead Horse. I'm genuinely trying to get at the conservative position here. The loyal opposition's position seems clear to me - that at least b) above is false.

Posted by Godfather Avatar (# 4513) on :

quote:
Muslims disown gay cleric.

So, after all the pontificating about how Gene Robinson's consecration would do irreparable harm to Christian/Muslim relations in Africa... the first statement we see by African Muslims on the matter is one of solidarity with the stance taken by their homegrown Anglicans. It warms your heart.

quote:
Originally posted by Grey Face:
I'm highly confused by this whole issue.

Me too. Let's start a club!

quote:
Originally posted by psyduck:
This seems an example of that kind of thinking, which actually strikes me as much more (pre-Vatican II?) Roman Catholic than Protestant.

How astute of you! Indeed he was raised RC, but in currently a member of ECUSA.

quote:
By psyduck:
"but this other thing I just cannot understand by any light that God has given as sinful."

I think this right here is the crux of the matter. And as it is Dead Horse territory, I will not comment further, except to say that I now understand why these events have created such a horrible muddle. I doubt that a clear conclusion will ever be found on this one.

eeG

Cranmer's baggage, I think it's probably a combination of my tendency to project Sydney as the rest of Australia and the incipient pessimism I've been feeling about our ability to stay together.

I'm trying to remain positive.

Posted by Faithful Sheepdog (# 2305) on :

quote:
Grey Face said:
So, can any conservatives reading this please clarify, do you believe 4 to be your argument, and if not, can you explain what it could be?

Ok, I’ll bite. Firstly, you can forget all about Donatism, St. Augustine and the whole notion of valid consecration. My objections are not rooted in those areas. As far as I am concerned, GR was validly consecrated in the light of Article 26 of the 39 Articles.

The argument is not about the technical validity, but rather the ethical wisdom, the moral correctness, and the ecclesiological desirability of the consecration, in the light of the raging moral, ethical and theological debate in the wider Anglican Communion, and indeed, the wider church.

The consecration of Gene Robinson was a major political statement that was intended to send a very powerful message. You only have to look at the ceremony itself - televised from a sports stadium - to get the flavour of something very unusual taking place. It was more akin to a political rally.

During the service of consecration of an Anglican bishop, the episcopal candidate is charged to live “…soberly righteously and godly, that you may show yourself in all things as an example of good works…” (1929 Scottish BCP).

GR is not the first gay bishop by a long way, but he is the first before his consecration to be completely open and in-your-face with it, especially in the light of his married past. By contrast, Derek Rawcliffe, the retired Bishop of Glasgow, only came out after he retired (and also after he was widowed).

As far as ECUSA is concerned, GR is not in unrepentant sin, and he is living a godly life. However, as someone who has opposed the consecration of GR, numbers 2 (unrepentant sin) and 3 (bad example) are immediate candidates for me.

Another charge to the episcopal candidate is to “…teach and exhort wholesome doctrine…” and “…to banish and drive away all erroneous and strange doctrines contrary to God’s word…” (1929 Scottish BCP).

GR’s consecration has demonstrated de facto that the dominant party within ECUSA consider an intimate gay relationship, and its implications for moral and pastoral theology, “wholesome teaching” and not some “erroneous doctrine contrary to God’s word”.

Episcopalians in New Hampshire are now obliged to agree with that statement. The revisionist case proposed has now been deemed by events to have been accepted. Legitimate dissent with integrity is no longer possible in NH. It’s either shut up and agree, or get out.

I am not sure if heresy (number 4) is the right word for that, but it represents a dangerous illiberalism of the worst kind. I include a link to a very perceptive article by Janet Daley in yesterday’s Daily Telegraph. She uses the phrase “liberalism militant”. I couldn’t have put it better myself.

Neil

quote:

The argument is not about the technical validity, but rather the ethical wisdom, the moral correctness, and the ecclesiological desirability of the consecration, in the light of the raging moral, ethical and theological debate in the wider Anglican Communion, and indeed, the wider church.

The consecration of Gene Robinson was a major political statement that was intended to send a very powerful message. You only have to look at the ceremony itself - televised from a sports stadium - to get the flavour of something very unusual taking place. It was more akin to a political rally.

Huh? The Diocesan Convention of the Diocese of New Hampshire chose someone with whom they had been working for years. They knew +GR very well, and was calling him--not making a statement. Bishops Diocesan are not appointed in the ECUSA.

And, about the consecration taking place in a sports stadium. That is not unusual in the United States. While there are a few very large Episcopal/Anglican cathedrals on the North American continent (New York, NY; Washington, DC; Victoria, BC), most cathedrals in the US would be hard pressed to hold 1500 people. Typically they would hold closer to 500 people or so. For example, rather than limiting attendance to using St. Mark's Cathedral, +Vincent Warner was consecrated the Bishop of Olympia in a building that served as, among other things, the hockey rink for the Seattle Thunderbirds.

When a crowd is expected, expect a consecration in the US to take place someplace other than the cathedral--if the diocese even has a cathedral. (Not all dioceses in the US have a cathedral.)

quote:
During the service of consecration of an Anglican bishop, the episcopal candidate is charged to live “…soberly righteously and godly, that you may show yourself in all things as an example of good works…” (1929 Scottish BCP).

GR is not the first gay bishop by a long way, but he is the first before his consecration to be completely open and in-your-face with it, especially in the light of his married past. By contrast, Derek Rawcliffe, the retired Bishop of Glasgow, only came out after he retired (and also after he was widowed).

So, you are saying that any candidate for bishop needs to be bearing false witness against all his neighbors?

quote:
As far as ECUSA is concerned, GR is not in unrepentant sin, and he is living a godly life. However, as someone who has opposed the consecration of GR, numbers 2 (unrepentant sin) and 3 (bad example) are immediate candidates for me.
What is so bad about his example?

+GR tried therapy and marriage. As in many, many other similar cases, the marriage was ill advised. Instead of living a lie, he admitted his error in getting married. He did not run from the responsiblities of his children. He now is living a faithful life with another person.

When I was teaching high school back in South Dakota, a gay student of mine was depressed enough to have very well thought out suicide plans (location, weapon, etc.). I really wish I would have had someone like +GR to point to, saying there is a life for you.

Let's ask the real question: Was +GR called by God to be bishop?

Of course, I would say most of us do not have a definitive, above any question, answer on this (unless you are the Bishop of Rome, that is). We may have our reasons for why we believe why we do, but there should always an element of doubt.

If you cannot accept the possibility--even if remote--that the consecration of +GR is of God, then I think the choice of the next pope will be clear.

Statement from Anglican Church in Tanzania

quote:
We shall not recognize the Ministry of Rev. Canon Gene Robinson as a Bishop of the Church because he is not;
quote:
We declare that, henceforth we are not in communion, namely, Communion in sacris, with:

i. Bishops who consecrate homosexuals to the episcopate and those Bishops who ordain such persons to the priesthood and the deaconate of license them to minister in their dioceses;

ii. Bishops who permit the blessing of same sex unions in their dioceses;

iii. Gay priests and deacons;

iv. Priests who bless same sex unions.

Is this the most "drastic" statement yet?

Posted by Peronel (# 569) on :

quote:
Statement from Anglican Church in Tanzania

quote:
We declare that, henceforth we are not in communion, namely, Communion in sacris, with:

i. Bishops who consecrate homosexuals to the episcopate and those Bishops who ordain such persons to the priesthood and the deaconate of license them to minister in their dioceses;

I suspect this bit means that they're out of communion with Rowan (hasn't he admitted to ordaining homosexuals whilst AB of Wales?). Therefore they have presumably just declared themselves out of the Anglican Communion.

*Sigh*

Peronel

Looks like another objection has been registered Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The article is from yesterday, but I believe the resolution in question passed today.

Posted by Zeke (# 3271) on :

I wasn't around when the ordination of women was a big item of contention (as opposed to whatever it is now). Was it this big? Was it this bitter?

Who are Trinity Episcopal School of Ministry, and why don't they want to be called Episcopal anymore?

[ 09. November 2003, 11:38: Message edited by: jugular ]

Posted by Cranmer's baggage (# 4937) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
I wasn't around when the ordination of women was a big item of contention (as opposed to whatever it is now). Was it this big? Was it this bitter?

It was at least this big, but we were all in the end saved from great catastrophe by due process - which is why some of us are so upset by the NH action. Was it this bitter? Wrong tense - for some it still is bitter. IMHO, in terms of comparison, you ain't seen nothing yet. [Tear]

Jugular,
Trinity Episcopal School of Ministry was founded in the 70's by an Australian, Bp. Alf Stanway. It has always stood in the evangelical tradition of Anglicanism, and has strong links to the African church, for whom it is a favoured US training establishment. This link is a natural one, since Alf Stanway was a missionary in Africa for a long time. My guess is that they are thinking of dropping the Episcopal from their title because they don't want to be associated with the "liberal" ethos of ECUSA.

By the unfortunate omission of the word 'knowingly' from their excommunication of bishops who have ordained homosexuals, the Church in Tanzania have, perhaps unwittingly, excommunicated virtually every Anglican bishop in the world. Including, in all probability, themselves. [Eek!] Oops!

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
By the unfortunate omission of the word 'knowingly' from their excommunication of bishops who have ordained homosexuals, the Church in Tanzania have, perhaps unwittingly, excommunicated virtually every Anglican bishop in the world. Including, in all probability, themselves. [Eek!] Oops!

[Big Grin]
Good thing they didn't say, "Anathema!"

© Ship of Fools 2016