Thread: Purgatory: P**d off with God Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001128

Posted by ChrisT (# 62) on :

I just had a reasonable conversation with a friend about anger/forgiveness/God and all that malarkey. His stance was that you can be righteously angry, as Jesus was, and that the response to any anger should be forgiveness. Of course some anger requires further action as well. But he said if you profess to be a Christian you should not be angry with God, or not for long. Why? Because God is perfect, therefore never does anything wrong, therefore we really have nothing to get angry with him about, and he therefore never needs to be forgiven for anything.

What do people think about the whole anger/forgiveness/God thing? I admit I am pretty narked with God and life in general at the moment.

[ 19. June 2003, 18:08: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

I seem to remember someone crying out 'My God, my God why have you forsaken me' which doesn't seem to be a classic expression of praise...

Posted by ChristinaMarie (# 1013) on :

Hi Chris,

I think God wants us to vent our frustrations to Him. Think of the Psalmists who write, 'How long, O Lord!'

I think it's better to vent to God, 'I don't have joy unspeakable and full of glory right now! What's wrong?' Or, 'Jesus, you came to give us life in all its fullness, I'm not experiencing that! What's wrong?' than to bottle things up and get depressed, and pretend those Scriptures don't exist.

I call it 'being real with God.'

Christina

Posted by Dolphy (# 862) on :

I have memories going through my mind of a song, I think it was by Leo Sayer, the words go something like this:
If there's a God up there in Heaven, maybe he has lost his touch, or maybe he's out to lunch.

This is certainly how I am feeling at the moment.
Hope this thread goes well ChrisT.

Posted by He Who Must Not Be Named (# 2824) on :

Venting my anger with someone else on God is one thing - personally I'd rather tell the person themselves that I'd like to do them serious physical harm.

There are times when I think that God has seriously messed up: for example, when I have to conduct the funeral of an infant or a small child, or when I think I've given quite enough to Him and every bugger else, and wouldn't mind a little for myself for a change.

That's when I tell Him that I think He's a seriously vindictive sod, and needs to get things sorted out.

Posted by golden key (# 1468) on :

I'm sll for telling God exactly what I think/feel. It's not an honest relationship if I
don't.

Somewhere, I have a little book called, "May I Hate God?" I don't remember too much about it, but I think I found it helpful when I read it.

I read the story of a hospital chaplain, dealing with a teen who'd just lost his mom. The kid was quietly furious, and focused his glares on the crucifix on the wall. The wise chaplain said, "do whatever you need to do". The kid tore the crucifix from the wall and smashed it to bits on the floor. Then he collapsed in the chaplain's arms.

Posted by J. J. Ramsey (# 1174) on :

On the one hand, it's horribly unhealthy--and unbibical--to hide anger toward God behind a mask of happy-clappy fake joy. On the other hand, to tell God that he messed up is more than a little absurd, as if one who is of finite mind has a better idea on how to run the universe than one of infinite wisdom. I think it's O.K. to be angry with God, but we need to realize the absurdity of our anger.

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

Who was it who said, 'You have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath.'?

Posted by Troy (# 2516) on :

I think ChristinaMarie put it best when she called it "Being honest with God."

Our emotions are wacky things, and they usually say as much about who we are as they do the environment we are in. As a result, someone can look at XYZ emotion s/he is feeling and conclude that (when you get down to it) it is not really justified.

But God just doesn't want communion with the parts of us that are objectively justified, or those parts that pass some sort of internal screening process. God wants our whole selves. If the emotions inside of us want to scream at God and challenge Him on something that has happened, then doing anything else is holding back from God.

Of course, it is possible that we allow our emotions to cause us to turn away from God, but that is a completely different issue that has more to do with closing yourself off than with being angry with God. Ironically, exactly the same closing happens when you try to put on a good face for God too.

-Troy

Posted by bessie rosebride (# 1738) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisT:
But he said if you profess to be a Christian you should not be angry with God, or not for long. Why? Because God is perfect, therefore never does anything wrong, therefore we really have nothing to get angry with him about, and he therefore never needs to be forgiven for anything.

This would take a level of faith and spiritual maturity that seems almost impossible to attain. I'd say anyone who thinks they are able to walk out this directive is only denying their emotions.

We get angry at God because we have very limited understanding of His purpose and plans. The way I perceive and interpret the events of my life; not much sits well with me. I've been at odds with Him a lot -ranging from full blown anger, resentment, bitterness, on down to just plain annoyed.

The thing is, God can take our anger. He knows we don't understand and we misinterpret Him. He knows our moods and spiritual state even when we don't admit it. I trust He would prefer our honesty. Besides, if we stay angry and bitter at anyone or any situation for long (or forever) it hurts only us.

Although I know I'm supposed to trust that He always knows best - just yesterday I was ticked off because I had to spend the day in stress and expense because my plumbing froze during the bitter cold and snow. I couldn't see any redeeming quality whatsoever. How could that be part of a good plan for me?

If this seems like a trivial thing to be angry over, just know it used to be worse. To put it in perspective, I've recovered from being angry that I was ever born amd had such cruel parents, for example.

Posted by zephirine of the roses (# 3323) on :

quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
I seem to remember someone crying out 'My God, my God why have you forsaken me' which doesn't seem to be a classic expression of praise...

yep, that and david's (the man after God's own heart) and jeremiah's rants and vents through psalms and lamentations. further investigation always uncovers a sparkling revelation waiting at the end of the story.

that's what i'm counting on. they call it faith, don't they?

Posted by seadog (# 2931) on :

I think God can handle a little anger directed His way. And since He knows you feel like that already, you might just as well get it off your chest. That's my justification, anyway.

Posted by Merseymike (# 3022) on :

Yes...I think the problem is whaen we think that God is 'running the Universe' at all. I'm quite convinced that whilst we can look to Him for guidance,that he has left the everyday running of things very much in our hands...

Is that heretical?

Posted by bessie rosebride (# 1738) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:
Yes...I think the problem is whaen we think that God is 'running the Universe' at all. I'm quite convinced that whilst we can look to Him for guidance,that he has left the everyday running of things very much in our hands...

Is that heretical?

Well, that fits into why I'm left to fend for myself against the viciousness of Mother Nature. [Frown]

But I tend to agree with the OP to the extent that God is perfect and therefore nothing ever "goes wrong". If this is true, then the running of things can't really be left in our hands - even if it appears that this is the case.

Posted by Aardvark (# 2295) on :

Struggling with this one at the moment - a specific prayer I prayed at the beginning of the year has gone unanswered. I'm waiting for direction and guidance, but none seems forthcoming. At the moment my prayers seem to consist of "Answer me you b******", even if I don't actually say it, that's what I feel. But I know that God is big enough and his love is robust enough to take it, just as I still love my 5 year old son when he's throwing a tantrum because he can't have what he wants right now.

Posted by Rowen (# 1194) on :

As a hospital chaplain, I advise my patients to read the psalms over and over.... like when their baby dies in dreadful circumstances, or they are in their 7 th admnittance to the pysch ward or whatever.
"Get the anger out" I tell them. "God is big enough to handle it, and he won't stop listening or loving"

Posted by Merseymike (# 3022) on :

Nothing really goes wrong.....I find that hard to agree with. I think theres plenty which goes wrong, and I neither blame nor account God for those things. Neither do I automatically account to Him things that go 'right'.

I find it difficult to conceive of a God who actively intervenes in the world in any sort of directive sense.

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

quote:
Originally posted by seasick:

Actually, it *is* a classic expression. remember that Jesus was speaking from and to an experience where you just had to give the first line of the reference, and the crowd knew what you were talking about. It is not uncommon for certain folks to cite the "my God" line as evidence that Jesus was rebelling or angry. But if you read Psalm 22 you see why he used that reference:

quote:
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
2 O my God, I cry in the day time, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.
3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
4 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.
5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.
6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.
7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
8 He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.
9 But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts.
10 I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.
11 Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.
12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.
14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.
18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
19 But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.
20 Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.
21 Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.
22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
23 Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.
25 My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.
26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.
28 For the kingdom is the LORD's: and he is the governor among the nations.
29 All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.
30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.
31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

Posted by Nightlamp (# 266) on :

It is a debate whether Jesus was referring to the whole of psalm 22 or simply to the first verse I think the balance of debate (ok about 10 years ago) favoured only the first verse.

When I saw the title of this thread i thought ah this will sonn be in Hell but obviously not.

Posted by Sean D (# 2271) on :

Agreed with everything above: hiding our real emotions and pretending is a great curse within the stream of Christianity I am from, and sometimes people get the idea they need to just be happy all the time and if they're not it's a sin. (Yes, you guessed it. I am a charismatic.) But as has been pointed out, the Psalms are so full of anger towards God. Jesus got angry, and disppointed, and frightened. So, the Holy Spirit inspired people to write angry stuff to God, and the 2nd person of the Trinity felt all those emotions too. If we're pissed off we're in good company.

So it's OK to be angry at/with God. Thank crunchie for that! Should it last though? I would love for one day this cloud to lift and for me to say "Hallelujah, I see now that all that darkness I lived in for years has led me to a higher place. Thank the Lord that I went through that". It dosn't feel like that is going to happen, and there are very practical reasons why I beleive not.

This is what my church background would have me believe, hope for, and trust in. But (and I have heard all the platitudes before, well meant though they are) should there come a point when I just have to accept what is happening and give up the anger? And is it the same for both God and others.

Basically, how/why/when should you stay angry?

Posted by ChristinaMarie (# 1013) on :

quote:
Originally posted by J. J. Ramsey:
On the one hand, it's horribly unhealthy--and unbibical--to hide anger toward God behind a mask of happy-clappy fake joy. On the other hand, to tell God that he messed up is more than a little absurd, as if one who is of finite mind has a better idea on how to run the universe than one of infinite wisdom. I think it's O.K. to be angry with God, but we need to realize the absurdity of our anger.

I don't think it is absurd at all. You see, we're not Vulcans who only operate from Logic. We have strong emotions too, and many times these emotions need to be expressed. When I say to God, 'Why have you abandoned me!?' I'm not being literal, I'm expressing how I feel.

In Counselling, it is recognised that much of the emotional healing comes from the RELATIONSHIP of the Counsellor and Counsellee, rather than the logical psychology.

RELATIONSHIPS require that we express our hurt feelings from time to time.

If we vent our honest feelings to God, seeking answers, then our circumstances may or may not change, but our perceptions can. I have a strong belief that in hard times, God is trying to teach us something, He's encouraging us to grow and mature, spiritually.

Scripture states that Jesus was made perfect through His sufferings. If Jesus needed to suffer to attain perfection, well, we do too. I believe God is more concerned with our spiritual growth and eventual maturity, than giving us an easy life. As Paul wrote, the chastening of the Lord is grievous while it's happening, but it yields wonderful results.

Christina

Posted by Arch- (# 982) on :

Every-time my mother-in-law speaks haltingly of losing her entire family in the Holocaust and therefore, half of my children's lineage and history having been wiped out, I wonder, really wonder whether real, pain-filled human anger is addressed to God, or just an empty void and all our prayers, all our worship is a cloak to hide a desperate indifference at the heart of the Universe. I think Jesus' cry of desolation was just that-desolation and something of the illusion of God's omnipotence died that day on the Cross.

Posted by pcd (# 3570) on :

Adrian Plass writes really helpfully about hs in When you walk and the second of his diaries. I once got [actually more than once] furious with god about the awful fate of some missionaries. After a couple of days the following occurred to me. awful things have always happened to good people and if I were going to take issue about that and walk away I could have not bothered to become a christian in the first place.And then that any compassion I have probably comes from Him.
I have once had spectacular answer to prayer that was more of a tantrum than a prayer and once had the beginings of an anwer about a prayer that was so completely unanswered that I thought I couldnt go on with my faith.........Honesty is always the best policy I'm sure.
see also' when i became a christian' by Plass which is available on the web. Assuring you all of my prayers Lucy

Posted by pcd (# 3570) on :

ps p****d has got 4 *s [Yipee]

It could have stood for peed off?

quote:
So it's OK to be angry at/with God. Thank crunchie for that! Should it last though? I would love for one day this cloud to lift and for me to say "Hallelujah, I see now that all that darkness I lived in for years has led me to a higher place. Thank the Lord that I went through that". It dosn't feel like that is going to happen, and there are very practical reasons why I beleive not.

<snip>

I believe passionately in the parting of the clouds one day and so on. But my (admittedly not huge) experience has been times of parted clouds and then they cover over again when something else hits the fan. Also, sometimes when I think of Job getting back so much stuff after his suffering I want to know why we still wasn't pissed cos of what he had to go through on the way just to prove a point for God!

As for staying angry I guess even in the midst of the pain it's good to be vulnerable to God and open to his love/healing and so on, and we should be actively seeking to work through our pain or it will consume us. However we shouldn't beat ourselves up if we stay angry as we're not going to be perfect til heaven anyway... I expect when I die there'll still be pain, anger, loneliness and loss in my heart that hasn't been dealt with.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

Going back to the first few posts, it’s easy to say we 'shouldn’t' express anger with God (implying that we 'should' be always content and thankful with our lot), but this is the real world. Sh*t happens. I know people are well-meaning and that what they want is for us to be happy and secure in our faith, but it seems to me that some people feel very threatened by honest expressions of hurt or anger. I think the important thing for those of us either going through crappy circumstances, or trying to support and be there for others, is to give space and time for the hurt to be brought out into the open. A friend of mine, many years ago, expressed a lot of doubt and hurt with God, but due to the fact that many of us couldn’t handle it he denied his doubts and spent a lot of time pretending everything was hunky-dory. But eventually he couldn’t deny it any more and has ended up totally rejecting Christianity. If we’d been mature enough then to let him express his hurt and anger, and not just tried to explain it away with trite answers because we couldn’t handle his questions, maybe things would have worked out differently.

On the radio this morning I heard an interview with the minister of the church that the policeman who was murdered in Manchester the other week attended. They were talking about the policeman’s father’s expression of forgiveness towards the murderer, and his prayer that he will find forgiveness in God, and the minister was saying that when he’d been asked by the press this week 'should the church forgive?' he’d really struggled to answer. He also said that, whilst being really moved by the father’s forgiveness, he was working alongside many people who were struggling to come to that conclusion so quickly, if at all, and that it was not his job to force them to express something that they don’t yet (and may not ever) feel or believe, but help them to work through the anger and pain in their own time. I was really pleased to see that there are still sensitive, realistic people like that working in the church, sometimes I have wondered where they’ve all gone.

I wish there was an easy answer to the 'how long' question - maybe next week, maybe not this side of heaven (as Sean just put it). But Chris I know that in this and other threads you've expressed that despite current circumstances you're questioning your faith more than ever which to me, in itself, is a sign of hope.

I've just reread that last sentence and am now worried that I sound really patronising and happy clappy - I'll keep it in as I mean it, but Chris I never meant to patronise [Smile]

I can't help thinking that coming to a "Praise the Lord I'm so pleased I just went through all that" isn't particularly realistic (this isn't aimed at Chris by the way, just some more random thoughts for general consumption) - but I do think that God would be happy enough with a "I don't know why all that had to happen, I don't understand it and wish I hadn't had to go through it, but at least I'm still here and still trying to hang on to you God".

Sorry for the double post.

quote:
Originally posted by Sean D:
...sometimes when I think of Job getting back so much stuff after his suffering I want to know why we still wasn't pissed cos of what he had to go through on the way just to prove a point for God!

I found Philip Yancey's "Disappointment with God" (ISBN 0-310-51781-8, publ. Zondervan) really helpful on this one. Doesn't give all the answers, but asks helpful questions which made sense to me.

quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaMarie:
quote:

I don't think it is absurd at all. You see, we're not Vulcans who only operate from Logic. We have strong emotions too, and many times these emotions need to be expressed.

Just because one's emotions are strong and need to be faced does not mean that they are not absurd. It just means that it is too dangerous to leave the emotions bottled up. The absurdity is still there.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

ok:
You are angry at God.

God is omniscient.

So God knows you are angry.

So you stuff it down? Useless. The tone of the posts seems to reflect the logic of this.

How to get angry? Prayer("sod you, god" etc. again, there's no vile thought you can have that God is not aware of, so cut loose) and dialogue with a good listener. You know the kind of person I mean. The kind that won't try to talk you out of it or explain it away, they just listen. Golden Key's chaplain--Phew. What a good man.By sacrificing an image of Christ, he became Christ.

How long? Till you get to the bottom of it.

Anger is a grief stage. Not too long ago, I had a bout of anger teased out of me in therapy, and it was horrifying to me. It wasn't just feeilng mad, it was this rage that seemed to come up from my feet and take over; there seemed to be no room for anything in me but anger. Frightening as hell.But it was there, and I wasn't admitting it, and it was disrupting my sleep and tearing holes in my stomach and causing much worse problems than if I had simply admitted to it.

As to the absurdity (seeing your anger as absurd): Once the anger has waned and perspective returns, this might be possible. However, expecting someone to achieve that while they're in the anger might be too much.

Ok, that leads to this question: How does (or how should) the average Christian respond to expressions of anger at God?

Posted by MCC (# 3137) on :

I certainly agree that I can be angry with God, or express my anger at him. Having been through therapy I believe this is important.

I would like to personalise this: through recent problems it has not been easy, and at times I screamed at God asking what I should do, and how I was supposed to deal with hings. It was cathartic, and slowly I am seeing how my relationship with God is changing for the better, and He didn't seem to mind my anger.

Honesty with God is essential.

Posted by Wairua (# 3912) on :

quote:
I think theres plenty which goes wrong, and I neither blame nor account God for those things. Neither do I automatically account to Him things that go 'right'.

I find it difficult to conceive of a God who actively intervenes in the world in any sort of directive sense.

I'd tend to agree with MerseyMike about this.
But in my experience this has meant that after becoming hurt, upset, angry and disillusioned I have quickly given up on questioning God about it. And perhaps even on God. I struggle to keep that connection. Probably because of this personal bias I think anger - however long it goes on - is healthy in that it is dealing honestly with the matters at hand and keeping the relationship open (even if painfully). Who can say if continuing to struggle with God will ever change things. Perhaps it will be a lifelong struggle but who knows.

I've certainly found forgiveness to be a process rather than something that you just do and then get on with life. When I say I forgive someone who has done real and lasting damage the work isn't done then. That is just a commitment to walk that path. Perhaps I'll always be walking it.

I've found the other posts on this thread thoughtful and valuable. Thanks.

I'm not sure that it *is* absurd to be angry with God.

We live in a rough world. [Help] We may find some reason to believe in a deity, who may be involved with us, for good or ill. That does not change the fact that sh*t happens.

If God did create us, then She's responsible for all the potential fallout from that--and prayer's the complaint box!

[Not worthy!]

Golden key, that's sig worthy!

Posted by mother hubbard (# 640) on :

If I’m not allowed to rant and rave at God, then I'm not playing! Anger, rage, fury, disappointment, fear, and pain are as much a part of who I am as laughter, cuddles and love. Given that I have a teenage daughter and one who’s nearly a teenager [Help] , a husband who is about as much use as… [Mad] .well, chose one from the old thread (but make it a rude one!) …. I have cr*p up to my eyeballs and more backing up waiting for its turn, perhaps the anger & stuff makes up more of who I am.
BUT.
IF God is our heavenly parent, all-knowing… la-di-da…
THEN like I love my girls even after what they just managed to do,
SO God still loves me when I throw a paddy
That’s my logic anyhow

Posted by Karin 3 (# 3474) on :

I think it's OK to say to God, "I feel angry", "I feel confused" or even "I think you've really let me down" and words to such effect. I'd even go so far to say that God won't mind you swearing a bit, as long as it's not directed at him, but more at the situation. I'm sure he'll understand.

I'm not sure it's OK to call God names or swear at God, though. Jesus taught us to respect the name of God: "Hallowed be Thy name". Still, I think it's important to respect other people, too, so I could be in a minority.

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass
<snip>A friend of mine, many years ago, expressed a lot of doubt and hurt with God, but due to the fact that many of us couldn’t handle it he denied his doubts and spent a lot of time pretending everything was hunky-dory. But eventually he couldn’t deny it any more and has ended up totally rejecting Christianity. If we’d been mature enough then to let him express his hurt and anger, and not just tried to explain it away with trite answers because we couldn’t handle his questions, maybe things would have worked out differently.</snip>

Good grief, have I seen this happen any number of times. And known it personally too. Christians can be worse than useless when it comes to *real* situations and questions. They just want to think everything is alright. It is a mark of maturity to allow others to question you and your beliefs. Hell, you may even be wrong sometimes - I know I frequently am.

quote:
Originally posted by Karin 3:
I'm not sure it's OK to call God names or swear at God, though. Jesus taught us to respect the name of God: "Hallowed be Thy name". Still, I think it's important to respect other people, too, so I could be in a minority.

I would argue that it is more respectful to actually express what you are feeling than to pretty it up with niceties and soft words. Over the last year I have used some of the worst language of my life, directed at God. I'm not proud or happy with that - but as he knows where I'm coming from anyway does it matter? If that stuff is in me I would rather get it out than leave it festering.

As to Kellys point, how shoud we respond to expressions of anger at God, I'm not sure. At some point there must come a releasing of that anger, just as there must in earthly relationships. That will normally involve forgiveness, and some kind of reconciliation. [tangent]I hate and detest that word intensely.[/tangent] When and how that happens is down to the individual. In my own experience I can normally tell when I have let things go on too far, if I'm honest with myself. I guess I have (and still do in some ways) hold onto anger as it is empowering and intoxicating. For one thing it takes me a little way out of my situation, allowing me to transcend the pain by lashing back. For another it justifies my position, whereas perhaps I need to sometimes hold my hands up and say "I'm guilty". And for me it is (dangerously) a catalyst - for good or bad. I am at the moment struggling with the good and bad motivations that are coming out of my anger, frustration, dissapointment and hurt. But heck, I'd rather do something and make a mistake than do nothing and never knowing one way or another. So, I did something, and it failed. I'm not happy about it, it's not what I wanted, but at least I know now.

And that brings anger all of it's own. Vicious circle here we come.

quote:
I would argue that it is more respectful to actually express what you are feeling than to pretty it up with niceties and soft words.
Well, Chris, I agree we should be honest with God. Perhaps what are "niceties and soft words" to you are angry words to me, so perhaps it's not for me to say. I remain uncomfortable with hurling verbal abuse at God, but if you think it anyway I suppose there's not much difference in saying it.

quote:
Over the last year I have used some of the worst language of my life, directed at God. I'm not proud or happy with that - but as he knows where I'm coming from anyway does it matter? If that stuff is in me I would rather get it out than leave it festering.
Chris, I certainly agree you should let it out rather than let it fester. I just wonder if you vent your spleen too enthusiastically it could have a detrimental effect. Maybe I'm just repressed, but I think there is a danger in expressing your anger too violently. For a start you are shifting all the blame onto God, aren't you? I think it's important to accept our part of the blame. If you call God a load of nasty names doesn't that colour the way you see God? I should think it's also possible to get addicted to the feelings of strong anger.

However, I am not you and I haven't had your experiences, so I could be wrong.

Like all things, I think it is a matter of balance. We should feel able to express our feelings to God, but there are limist on how far we should go in doing that. There is a need for some self-control. On the other hand if we accidentally 'lose it', then like all sins, God will forgive us when we acknowledge it was wrong and say sorry.

Kelly, you put that really well. [Not worthy!]

(About time I said something nice to you anyway.)

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

I suppose it depends partly on your use of swearing generally. Some people don't swear at all or only in extremes of circumstance, some as a habit, and most people at some point of the continuum in between. I come in the first catagory, am made uncomfortable by the latter, but that's me and the way I have been brought up and am. I think to swear at God because it is just your habitual way of talking does show disrespect - just as it does when you use that sort of language to someone else simply for the sake of it. To swear at God because it is the only way of expressing the tensed up feeling - why, I'm sure God is big enough to see past the words and into the heart. And better to shout, scream and swear at Him than not to talk at all.

Expressing your anger and confusion to God is all part of communication. Yes, maybe it can become a habit and it needs to be balanced by listening too. But no true relationship with God can exist unless you try to be totally honest with Him.

I find it helpful to think of my relationship with my kids. They have a lot in life to be angry about, being adopted. Part of my role as their adopted parent is to expect that and to let them know it's OK. The likelihood is that I will be the brunt of their anger. I know that, and am prepared for that (though I must say I am not looking forward to it over much!) -if I can do it, weak as I am, how much more can God do it? I want my kids to express their anger and not bottle it, how much more must God want us to do that too?

Also thinking of my Smudgelets. When things go wrong for them (often by their own doing) or they get told off or punished, they react in totally different ways. One might cry a little, but generally shrugs his shoulders and goes along with things. The other rants and raves and has massive tantrums which take all my energy to cope with. But I know which one has taken in the situation most, and I also know which one will later come and just throw his arms round me for a cuddle. I may find the tantrums harder to cope with, but I think they are healthier than the bland acceptance.

I'm generally fairly temperate, maybe even too much so, but I have no problems at all with yelling and even once or twice swearing at God, just because I know how much He loves me.

Hmm, yes I suppose there is a point at which anger becomes destructive. I'm not sure whether I have reached that point. One hole in a door doesn't count for much in the grand scheme of things, does it? And after years of being anti-anything that I was told was 'wrong' (like swearing) maybe I'm hitting back. The problem with hitting back is you inevitably end up hitting harder.

I don't know others situations, and thank God you don't know mine, but we all deal with things in different ways. Your way is not mine, and mine is not yours. We may not agree with each other, bt we try to get along and understand where the other is coming from.

One thing we have all agreed about in the course of this thread is that anger needs to be expressed if it is to be resolved. Suppressing emotions is untimately destructive, inhibiting and numbing. I don't want to be like that - whether or not I believe there is something better in the future for me. So I am making sure I don't brush anything under the carpet.

This means that I end up going over the same ground a lot, each time (hopefully) sorting out a little more, although it must bore the pants off people I talk to. It also means being honest with myself about what I am feeling. And, of course, tied in with this it means the occasional - or even uite regular - rant at God.

One of the things I like about God is that I can say this awful stuff to him, blame him for everything, even tell him I want nothing to do with him, but he never changes. I've never had a human relationship that will put up with me, but he does. What can I say to that? Anger can't last, even if the situation does.

I can identify with a lot of that Chris. I just go about things differently.

One thing is for sure, God loves you and His love is unconditional...and He is good even if you're not sure about it just now.

I am increasingly aware as I get older that Basil Fawlty , who when I was young seemed ridiculous, mirrors my experience!

Do people remember him clenching his fist, threatening the skies, and shouting "THANKYOU GOD" when yet another thing went wrong.

More seriously, the expression of anger is natural, and safer if directed at God than destructively at other humans (I believe it can be creative with others though!). If it is part of one's working through something painful or infuriating, and as humans many of us go through these at times in our lives, then it is beneficial, imo. If it is just part of one's agrressive, rather than assertive, insistence that one has the right to be angry but nothing else, then it has its dangers- just as it does in any form of life.

I have recently called God a "Bxxxxxd", OK sorry if this offends anyone- I can understand your point. But I would say this, it was in a moment of pain, and honest rather than repressed.

Karan3, thanks for your comments, May I make just one comment. The inclusion of the word "should" in your post is one that I think could be reviewed, "shoulds" are dangerous in my opinion, capable of causing unnecessary shame, unhealthy guilt etc. At the end of the day, let's all look for what enhances life.

quote:
Originally posted by Wairua:
I've certainly found forgiveness to be a process rather than something that you just do and then get on with life. When I say I forgive someone who has done real and lasting damage the work isn't done then. That is just a commitment to walk that path. Perhaps I'll always be walking it.

That is so true, and so helpful. Early on in my Christian experience issues such as forgiveness were presented as essentially black and white - say the word, and everything will be OK kind of thing - but the older I get (like lots of us here I suspect) I'm spending sooooo much more time in the shades of grey areas. Forgiveness came home to me this weekend with a jolt - at a party on Saturday and then again at church on Sunday I bumped into a person who I'd not seen for probably 5 years or so but who had really hurt and offended me several years ago, and I simply could not bring myself to say hello, I just had to walk off because I just couldn't handle the strength of my feelings of anger and hurt. Talking to God afterwards about it, all I could manage was "well I know I should forgive, and in fact deep down I want to, but right now I still can't - please help me." As Wairua said, it's a commitment to walking a path, a process not an instant fix. And learning the hard way, through watching my friend reject Christianity (as mentioned before), I'm determined not to make the same mistake again of expecting somebody to suppress their doubts just because they think it will make me (or "the church") feel better.

Thank you for your comment MCC. As a rule I agree that should shouldn't be used to induce guilt etc. I'm sure from time to time I do use it accidentally in a way that could induce a person to feel guilt or whatever, should they be in the wrong frame of mind. However, having re-read my posts I can't see that the use of the word is likely to have such an effect in the context in which it is used. Perhaps you shouldn't have said that??? I could be feeling terrribly guilty now [Frown] and possibly wholly ashamed [Embarrassed] , too!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I'm not [Razz]

I don't think you should never use should, that would be far too pc for my liking - just use it thoughtfully.

Oh and if I can make one comment, the name is Karin - not Karan. [Smile]

quote:
I just wonder if you vent your spleen too enthusiastically it could have a detrimental effect. Maybe I'm just repressed, but I think there is a danger in expressing your anger too violently.
-- snip --
I should think it's also possible to get addicted to the feelings of strong anger.

Unfortunately, it is true. The emotional model where bottled-up feelings that need to be let out in an act of catharsis isn't quite correct. Violently expressing our anger can make us even more angry, in spite of the popular wisdom to the contrary.

I am not a psychiatrist (which may not be that much of a liability [Smile] ), but I suspect the reason that letting it out can be healthy at all is because trying to tell yourself that you are not angry is like trying to tell yourself to not think of pink elephants; one just thinks of one's anger (or pink elephants) all the more, thus getting angrier. It's less about getting it out than it is about being honest with oneself and getting back to not focusing on the anger.

Posted by The one & only Nanny Ogg (# 1176) on :

Thank you so much ChrisT for starting this thread. I'd been thinking of doing so myself recently but chickened out.

I'm also P****d off with God - for different reasons (obviously) - and I'm also p****d off with those well meaning Christians who come out with all the platitudes and well rehearsed lines and bible verses in an attempt to make you feel better (or even point the finger at you for being the cause of life being cr*p.

quote:

I wish I could believe that – I really do. I’m sick to the back teeth of people saying that things will be better when we get to heaven and that as Christians we just have to experience hell for only a minute part of eternity.

What I’d like to know is why some people appear to have all the blessings now, here on earth Christian or not; and others of us experience a never ending stream of trials and traumas with no apparent let up.

In my situation I am close to saying “to hell with it all”. If other people can have a good life now – then I’d like some of that RIGHT THIS MINUTE, not sometime in the future when I’m dead.

quote:
should there come a point when I just have to accept what is happening and give up the anger? And is it the same for both God and others.

There gets to be a point where you get tired of being angry. Sick and tired of crying out night after night to what appears to be a brick wall. Sick and tired of prayer requests being answered with more problems and crises on your doorstep to the point that you realt cannot take any more.

In my case I’m sick of hearing the platitudes that “God is listening” and “God is in control”. I want some action NOW.

And if this sounds as if I’m a spoilt child crying because God hasn’t done things instantly – things have been sh1t for 5 years and counting…

quote:
As to Kellys point, how should we respond to expressions of anger at God, I'm not sure. At some point there must come a releasing of that anger, just as there must in earthly relationships. That will normally involve forgiveness, and some kind of reconciliation.

Does that mean that we should forgive God for the bad times He is making us endure when we know that He has the power to turn things around in an instant?

Why should we ask forgiveness from a God that does not appear to be there or is too busy to care?

quote:
Like all things, I think it is a matter of balance. We should feel able to express our feelings to God, but there are limits on how far we should go in doing that. There is a need for some self-control. On the other hand if we accidentally 'lose it', then like all sins, God will forgive us when we acknowledge it was wrong and say sorry.

Ah – so getting angry with God is a sin even though we’re the ones who are being “sinned” against by a God who deliberately choses to curse our lives rather than bless us.

quote:
One of the things I like about God is that I can say this awful stuff to him, blame him for everything, even tell him I want nothing to do with him, but he never changes. I've never had a human relationship that will put up with me, but he does. What can I say to that? Anger can't last, even if the situation does.

Doesn’t God change? In my experience I’ve seen God turn from answering prayers to turning a deaf ear. From God providing to God taking away. From God being there to me just talking to the air.

I’ve heard it said that God knows the plans for us – “plans to prosper you and not to harm you; plans to give you hope and a future.” But in my experience this has not been the case.
Just as I think God is honouring his part the sh1t hits the proverbial fan again.

Yes I am angry – and hurt. I would like an end to all problems that seem to hit me when I’m down. I’d like a few blessings for a change.

But – and this is the really painful bit – I feel that God isn’t letting go of me and I’ve nowhere to run. All I can do is get angry whilst I wait for things to change. And that hurts because I then have no freedom to live. If I felt that I had responsibility for my life I could blame myself for all that goes wrong and I would probably feel that I should ask God for forgiveness. The way it stands at the moment I'm a victim of continued circumstance created by others.

Nanny,

It is hard to understand why certain things happen and why some people seem to have more than their fair share of "bad luck" , but I'm pretty sure God isn't "cursing" your life. I know God has "the power to turn things around in an instant" in theory, but he just doesn't work like that.

I think it is pretty certain that God loves you and wants the best for you, but your circumstances and the people around you or what ever are not helping your situation. I also think it is safe to say that Jesus is there in the middle of it all with you, but it's hard for you to see him just now. He wants to put his arm round you to comfort you. He weeps with you and he wants you to let him walk alongside you and help you along the way.

I'm not suggesting you feel guilty about being angry with God, but if you were angry with a friend wouldn't you say sorry afterwards?

Posted by McChicken (# 2555) on :

Altho I have only really skimmed the responses in this thread I think they have been honest, thoughtful, encouraging and helpful.

I left my old church very very angry and part (a lot?) of that anger spilled over onto God. From that experience I would agree that you need to let go of your anger. I would agree, but I wouldn't say I have done it.

Also I agree that you can be angry at God, and I strongly resented those people who told me 'God is God' as if that was an answer. If God is into 'relationship' with us, then I think the only way we can understand that relationship is in human terms and, for me, God is at the stage where he needs to earn my trust again. (Something my mother can't quite understand.)

I wrote this poem a couple of years ago to ask one simple question: Why can't God take the blame? As always, hope it helps.

_Taking the Blame_

Why can’t God take the blame?
It’s always our fault
our problem
our responsibility.
"You gotta have faith (a-faith-a-faith).
You gotta have faith."

"Just believe" (they say)
"and everything will be fine."
Life doesn’t work that way
Life isn’t fair
"Life is pain, Highness.
Anyone who says otherwise
is trying to sell you something."

Where is God
in the darkness of the night?
Where is God
in the loneliness of misery?
Where is God
and why should I forgive Him?

"God is God is God"
"Curse God and die"
Sweet oblivion?
"Curse God and die"
but question and understand.
"God is God - don’t blame Him"
"God is God - don’t question"
like a Cop in the Sky
like a vindictive Father-figure.

If God is God,
He can take the questions.
If God is God,
He can handle the blame.

Why can’t God take the blame?
Where is God when it hurts?

quote:
It is hard to understand why certain things happen and why some people seem to have more than their fair share of "bad luck" , but I'm pretty sure God isn't "cursing" your life. I know God has "the power to turn things around in an instant" in theory, but he just doesn't work like that.

Why not - he does for other people? What makes it so different in my case?

quote:
I think it is pretty certain that God loves you and wants the best for you, but your circumstances and the people around you or what ever are not helping your situation. I also think it is safe to say that Jesus is there in the middle of it all with you, but it's hard for you to see him just now. He wants to put his arm round you to comfort you. He weeps with you and he wants you to let him walk alongside you and help you along the way.
That's just the sweet sanctimonious sentiment that gets to me. If Jesus/God was really hear with those who hurt he'd/they'd want to change the situation.

quote:
I'm not suggesting you feel guilty about being angry with God, but if you were angry with a friend wouldn't you say sorry afterwards?
If a friend who had done me wrong I'd expect them to apologise and I'd accept their apology.

Sorry Nanny, I'm not being sanctimonuous. I know it's true, but I understand it's hard to believe that at times.

We obviously have very different views of what God is like, so I guess we shall have to agree to differ.

Posted by Fishface (# 2206) on :

Nanny [brick wall]

quote:
Originally posted by The one & only Nanny Ogg:
But – and this is the really painful bit – I feel that God isn’t letting go of me and I’ve nowhere to run. All I can do is get angry whilst I wait for things to change. And that hurts because I then have no freedom to live. If I felt that I had responsibility for my life I could blame myself for all that goes wrong and I would probably feel that I should ask God for forgiveness. The way it stands at the moment I'm a victim of continued circumstance created by others.[/QB]

Nanny, when life is as sh1t as you descibe it to be, when your heart is filled with anger and pain, you are crushed and powerless, that you say God is hanging on to you stirs a faint flicker of hope for me. When i feel like this the only thing i can hang onto is that it[all this faith stuff]has to be a Footprints thing.He has to be there with us or all of this is crap.I don't get why we have to suffer, intellectualy or spiritually. All I can hang onto is that in my bleakest most desperate moments of pain, if i can dare to think of God, He has provided me with Peace and rest.Through people and in solitude. If nothing else is possible is peace not the greatest gift, the essence of God?

When we roar and wail at God why does he not just give us the antidote to anger? [Confused] why do we have to ask for it?

NO placation intended, just my contribution to the torment

This is turning out like one or two other threads. To be honest i know very much how Nanny feels, and the niceties just don't wash when there isn't even a glimmer of hope. And although it is nice to say that the anger must end at some point, and we all know that's true, when the situation isn't ending in any way shape or form, how can the anger. Basically we are being asked to stop being angry and upset, and accept whatever comes our way. That, a lot of the time at least, isn't enough for me.

Like Nanny said, after a while we just want results. No more promises, no more platitudes, no more caring and wan smiles. We just want the crap to end.

I have to admit that I have trouble personally with the idea of being angry at God. I pretty much expect God to act in a way that seems counterintuitive, and God seems to have made it pretty clear that he will let bad and ugly things happen to us. Part of that, I suppose, is growing up with a low-functioning autistic brother, and part of that is having my mind warped by Douglas Adams novels presenting an absurd universe where the riddle to life, the universe, and everything is bad arithmetic. [Razz]

I guess if you don't expect much from God, it's hard for him to let you down.

Nanny, I'm similarly tortured, and have the same questions. [Waterworks]

McChicken, liked your poem.

Re anger in general: Feelings Aren't Bad. What you do with them may or may not be.

Fishface, I get what you mean about being helped through peace--but what do you do when it doesn't come?

JJR, I like Doug Adams' books, too. "42" has gotten me through a lot of rough times, as has the answer that Arthur & Fennie finally found.

But things can get to the point where more and more of you is (metaphorically) chopped off, nothing you do to help yourself works, and you can't get anyone to help. It's crushing. It's where I am--and have been for some time. And, I think, it's hard to understand if you haven't been there. [Tear]

Posted by Duo Seraphim (# 3251) on :

When I first read it, I thought the Book of Job to be one of the harshest things I had ever read, despite the beauty of the writing. In effect, Job is brought low as a result of a capricious bet between God and Satan. Finally, Job, who has suffered undeservedly,while the undeserving have flourished, is angry with God. So he says to God "Explain yourself! Why me?" And the answer, uncompromising in its bluntness, comes back: You're not God, you don't know what I know and you haven't done what I have done.

And there is the hard truth - no platitudes. Bad things happen to good people for reasons we can't understand. We are told things we don't want to hear and suffer accordingly. We are rejected by those we love. We suffer misfortunes - not once but time after time. We don't deserve it, but still it happens.

We don't have the full picture, we don't know what God knows. It's human to get angry with those who hurt us, whether that comes by deliberate act or not. It's human to demand recompense for our hurts or at least an explanation - including from God.

But we'd better be prepared for the answer - the loving answer - that we don't want to hear. No. Not yet. Never. Wait.

And then we have to trust that answer and trust that there will be a way forward. That trust has to be the hardest thing I know of. I struggle with it. I usually fail. The alternative is worse - that the universe is a random, evil place run by a malevolent bastard for His own ends and no-one cares. I don't believe that and so I continue to struggle with trust. Love and trust - what else is there?

Right now, it hurts and in our pain we are angry. Anger, as ChrisT rightly observed, is empowering and intoxicating. It is also addictive, it diverts our energies and distorts our perceptions. So recognise it and let go of it, when and if you can.

So - onwards. I admire your candour, insight and honesty with your emotions, ChrisT, golden key and Nanny Ogg. It's going to carry you through - hard though it is.

Part of the problem with platitludes is that they are probably a result of distance. if I were in a room with Chris, Nanny, and GK, then I would shut the hell up, hold their hands, and cry with them. My mouth woulnd't do a damn bit of good.My prescence, my tears,my hugs might just bring god into the room, but my big mouth would just get me in trouble.

but in print someone can't see the care on your face, or feel your hand. so you grope around for words to make them "Feel Better". Or give them a ten-point program for adjusting their attitude. The result--no offense, anyone--usually sucks.

So, Karin--do you have some thoughts about my earlier question? When a Christian is faced with someone's anger at God, What is the response?

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Part of the problem with platitludes is that they are probably a result of distance. if I were in a room with Chris, Nanny, and GK, then I would shut the hell up, hold their hands, and cry with them. My mouth woulnd't do a damn bit of good.My prescence, my tears,my hugs might just bring god into the room, but my big mouth would just get me in trouble.

(hug) [Love]

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Kelly [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!]

Huia

Any interest in being pope, Kelly? I'll nominate you right now!!!

Posted by mother hubbard (# 640) on :

kelly, if you don;t mind can i offer a response to your question?
I was standing in the playground waiting for eh kids to come out of school one day. Just minding my own business, waiting for the kids. A woman came literally screaming down the path, lunged at me, grabbed my by the neck and began shaking me and yelling in my face. ‘where’s your F****** God NOW! How can you believe in a god who let’s this happen ….’
You can finish the conversation yourself I expect. I was non-plussed at this totally unprovoked attack, and was shaken even more as several other people joined her, similarly screaming in my face, poking and pushing. It took several minutes before I could make any sense of it at all.
Apparently some deranged person had just broken into a school playground and opened fire on the kids. The first lady to approach me had relatives who lived in a small place called Dunblane.
What did I do with their anger at God? I agreed with them. I even joined in with their anger. Why? Because I thought they had a valid point. And there was no explanation that would make sense of it.

Posted by Rowen (# 1194) on :

I think both Kelly and mother hubbard have valid points to make. Years ago, when I was a brand new chaplain, a tragic death occurred in the hospital. I went in, shaking, to the family and said "This is horrible. You must be terribly sad and bloody angry at God." They shouted back "Yes". And that was all we said for 30 mins- I could think of nothing valid to say next, and they cried. Thankfully for us all. Anger expressed... then presence . Years later they met me somehow and thanked me for the wise words of wisdom and love I had given them that night. Whilst grateful for their appreciation, I had to smile inwardly. I think, that in order to make sense of the encounter, in a conventional usual way of Western relationships and "normal" counselling methods, they had remembered words and speaking whilst I knew there was emotion, silence and just being there. And this came from 2 things- my feelings of "not knowing what to say next" and God's using the encounter.
That has been my philosophy as a chaplain ever since. Use descriptive words, and let them rant and moan. Then just shut up and be there for them. Emotion, silence and just being there.
Actually, it is pretty useful for my friends too when they are stressed out by life and God.
I'm not a great chaplain, but I'm learning every day.

Kelly, I joined this thread because Chris was asking what people thought about being angry with God. So I have said that I think it's OK and it's good to express our feelings and be honest with God, but I have reservations about calling him names and giving him verbal abuse. On the other hand I don't think anyone needs to be wracked with guilt if they do so. It is simply a matter of saying sorry at some point in time (once they've stopped feeling so angry). I also said there were dangers in letting your anger get the better of you. I was answering Chris' question, but I am not suggesting I have all the answers. I have learnt to "treasure the questions" recently. I no longer need to know all the answers, I can appreciate that there are some things only God knows the answer to.

However, in answer to your question
quote:
When a Christian is faced with someone's anger at God, What is the response?
Kelly, I don't know. I think sitting quietly with them would be a good start.

I find such an attitude very hard to understand and so to deal with because I am more likely to take blame on myself and probably wallow in self-pity (which is equally dangerous) than rant and rave at God in quite that way. I have told him I don't understand him and I don't like his ways, but I wouldn't call him names and I don't swear anyway. In the past I have felt he let bad things happen to me to punish me, but having found that the experience of a stillborn child made me take my faith much more seriously and my deepened faith has brought me great joy and comfort over the years, I now think it is more likely that God lets me go through bad times in order to teach me valuable lessons.

Events of the last two years have meant that I have struggled in many ways over that time, but they brought me to a place where I could realise just how arrogant a certain way of thinking had made me. I have come to take a good hard look at just what I believed and at just how much of what I have been taught is essential to following Christ. This in turn has encouraged me to take a lot less notice of what others expect from me. I have found the courage to be myself in Christ. It has been a rocky path, I have been on the brink of despair, I have experienced despondency and depression, but through it all Christ was calling me onward and upward and I feel more at peace with myself and with God than I ever have. He has brought people into my life to encourage me and even inspire me. I have found in reaching out to others I have received more than I have given.

That has been my experience. I appreciate others will have had different experiences and so they will see God differently from the way I do. I am not suggesting my way of seeing things is right, or is the only way, but I am setting it out in case anyone should find it helpful.

quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
When I first read it, I thought the Book of Job to be one of the harshest things I had ever read, despite the beauty of the writing. In effect, Job is brought low as a result of a capricious bet between God and Satan. Finally, Job, who has suffered undeservedly,while the undeserving have flourished, is angry with God. So he says to God "Explain yourself! Why me?" And the answer, uncompromising in its bluntness, comes back: You're not God, you don't know what I know and you haven't done what I have done.

There it is - THAT book again.

It's amazing that whenever anyone mentions suffering Job is wheeled out by Christians in an attempt to put things into a Godly perspective - often without thinking that it does more damage than it's worth. When you are hurting the last thing you want is to be told "read Job". That book is best read after painful situations when you are able to put things into some sort of perspective as to what was happening at the time.

It is a mistake to throw that book at people who hurt at present because they want people to understand their real pain not try to rationalise or explain it.

quote:
We don't have the full picture, we don't know what God knows. It's human to get angry with those who hurt us, whether that comes by deliberate act or not. It's human to demand recompense for our hurts or at least an explanation - including from God.
True we don't know what God knows but surely a loving God would want to ease out pain not increase it.

Why does God allow people to lurch from one crisis to another without any break or recovery time?

Why do some Christians live such favoured lives? Surely all Christians should be blessed by God.

quote:
But we'd better be prepared for the answer - the loving answer - that we don't want to hear. No. Not yet. Never. Wait.

And then we have to trust that answer and trust that there will be a way forward. That trust has to be the hardest thing I know of. I struggle with it. I usually fail. The alternative is worse - that the universe is a random, evil place run by a malevolent bastard for His own ends and no-one cares. I don't believe that and so I continue to struggle with trust. Love and trust - what else is there?

So what happens when you cannot trust? Trust is difficult to do when it is because you trusted that your life is in a mess. Because you trusted God to help you through and yet prayers are unanswered and situations worsen. Or because you have been hurt by family and friends you trusted.

Trust has to be earned not demanded. If trust is broken the ability to do so again is damaged.

Survivors learn to trust themselves and their instincts because they have no-one left to trust. They need to be in control because do much of their lives have been out of their control.

To ask a survivor to trust anyone - let alone a supernatural entity - and place their lives in the control of someone or something else in the expectation that life will be better is asking them to go against their survival instincts which they have built up over the years.

Just as an aside, and coming from a slightly different angle, Nanny, I have found it helpful to read Job when I've been down, but not because I found any answers in it. I just found it helpful to know that someone had felt as bad as me and worse. It helped me express what I felt and I tend to be helped by examples of people worse off than me.

Thinking of people who are worse off, I wonder what you think of God's attitudes to Christians in the Third World when you say: "Why do some Christians live such favoured lives? Surely all Christians should be blessed by God."

What do you think of God's attitude to those Christians who watch their children die through lack of water, food or medicine etc??

Please don't take it as a criticism, I'm just interested to know how you square those two thoughts.

Karin 3, I hope I've got your name right.

I am interested that in repeating your comments, you are not using the word "should" now. Whether you do or not is up to you, not for me to say you "should" or not! I think you understood my concern, I sometimes use the word myself, I just (personally) think it has shaming overtones, and it is better, though not a demand, that it not be used.

I have enjoyed many of your comments though.

So many comments here, thanks everybody for their honesty, and their contributions, even if there are different outlooks.

Life is painful, miserable, agonising, cruel, fun, joyous, exciting, loving, hateful, there is war and there is peace. Some people seem to have good lives, others suffer extremes.

And one of the tools we have to deal with this are our emotions, "ernergy in motion" as I heard it called, real physiological reactions which tell ourselves and others how it feels, and sometimes change how we behave or our situations. We can laugh, enjoy, be sad, grieve, be angry, desire/yearn, be jealous or whatever. these are God given. They can all be addictive, do we not recognise the person who has a smile on their face whatever happens, increasingly in denial. Why have we only identified anger as addicitve in this thread so far. Some are love addicts, permanently believing that they have a certain emotion, when that actually covers other feelings.

So anger, if held on to for ever, increasing without cause, as a "Right" etc, can be dangerous. But if it's the genuine human emotion to a situation, where someone you trust has betrayed you, where a Fascitic government brutalises a people or whatever, how can it be wrong.

Some of us will swear, others will not. Personally, I swear at God, but currently expect to move on from that to more trust, perhaps I am wrong or this is not another person's experience.

I do not believe God ever promised us our lives were going to be brilliant, or that blessing was permanent happiness, loving relationships or wealth. Christians who preach this do damage in my opinion. How did our God act in the world- by sending His Son who Died on a cross.

The resurrection changes that, but the risen Christ bears the scars of the nails and the sword. I don't understand why we suffer, but I do believe God is with us, and is so much bigger than all of us put together that he can take our anger, just as he takes our love, humour, yearning, grief, or jealousy.

And we either believe it or not. Goodness only knows why someties!

quote:
True we don't know what God knows but surely a loving God would want to ease out pain not increase it.

The fact that we don't know what God knows is the very reason that we can't be sure that God "would want to ease out pain not increase it," even if he is loving. God could very well have reasons for all the ugly, abominable things that happen, reasons that make perfect sense to him yet are impossible to articulate to finite minds like ours.

quote:
Originally posted by golden key:
Any interest in being pope, Kelly? I'll nominate you right now!!!

HELL NO.

I'll translate that into Latin, If you wish.

Karin, sorry if my post seemed to land on you a little. I guess I was subconciously being overprotective of Nanny. Nanny, if I was out of line jumping in, I apologise to you too.

But the question of how to deal with people's anger at God is important to me,maybe even worth it's own thread and one I wonder if churches really discuss or prepare people for.

quote:

Karin, sorry if my post seemed to land on you a little. I guess I was subconciously being overprotective of Nanny.

But the question of how to deal with people's anger at God is important to me,maybe even worth it's own thread and one I wonder if churches really discuss or prepare people for.

Apology accepted, Kelly - like your new avatar, btw.

I think you make a good point about churches needing to address people's anger more, whether at God or at other people. Forgiveness is vital, but before a person can forgive they need to work through their anger. Teaching constructive ways to channel anger at God could be another good idea.

Of course if certain Christians/branches of the church were more open to honest questions in general that would be even better.

quote:
It's amazing that whenever anyone mentions suffering Job is wheeled out by Christians in an attempt to put things into a Godly perspective - often without thinking that it does more damage than it's worth. When you are hurting the last thing you want is to be told "read Job". That book is best read after painful situations when you are able to put things into some sort of perspective as to what was happening at the time.

It is a mistake to throw that book at people who hurt at present because they want people to understand their real pain not try to rationalise or explain it.

At the risk of dropping myself further in it, that was precisely the context in which I first read Job. I was recovering from, not cured of, serious illness. I had lost my job and apparently my legal career. You're right to say that I was looking back on the worst of my suffering and putting it in context - but the effects of that suffering were very much with me. I found it harsh but peversely comforting that there was a wider picture that I couldn't see. The alternative was to believe that I had been picked out for suffering for no good reason by a "loving" God who wanted to visit some punishment on me for - I don't know - hubris, maybe.

One result of my illness was that I returned to Christianity, after many years of unbelief. Did I need that sort of a belting to do so? Having made the decision to believe again, my reaction was anger:"How could you do this to me, if you love me and want the best for me?"

You are also right to say Job isn't for everybody. The nun who took me for RCIA understood that I needed to step beyond my anger and suffering, to make sense of it in order to let it go.

You're angry with God. I don't know your personal circumstances - but I accept your absolute right to be angry with God for what has happened to you. I don't have Kelly Alves' gift of being able to say the right thing - and how wonderfully she said it! But then I also thought that karin3 said something profound, that was not a platitude, in talking of God's presence in our suffering. Several other posters talked of sitting quietly with those who are angry with God and allowing them to find a resolution for that anger.

I believe anger to be destructive. If we are to restore our relationships with others and especially with God, we must confront its source. So I said:

quote:
Your reply was just.
quote:

Why does God allow people to lurch from one crisis to another without any break or recovery time?

Why do some Christians live such favoured lives? Surely all Christians should be blessed by God.

To which, I can only say that I don't know, as I am not God. All the rest of us can do is to offer our love and our support to those who are hurting and give them time to heal themselves.

Accuse me of insensivity by all means - but sometimes that love and support may need to be expressed bluntly and truthfully. This is what I had to learn:
quote:

Again, your reply was just but difficult.
quote:
So what happens when you cannot trust? Trust is difficult to do when it is because you trusted that your life is in a mess. Because you trusted God to help you through and yet prayers are unanswered and situations worsen. Or because you have been hurt by family and friends you trusted.

Trust has to be earned not demanded. If trust is broken the ability to do so again is damaged.

Survivors learn to trust themselves and their instincts because they have no-one left to trust. They need to be in control because do much of their lives have been out of their control.

To ask a survivor to trust anyone - let alone a supernatural entity - and place their lives in the control of someone or something else in the expectation that life will be better is asking them to go against their survival instincts which they have built up over the years.

I didn't say it was easy. It may not even be possible. But if we are to do more than just survive on our own, then we must learn to trust again, in order to become part of the world and to love, which is all in all.

How otherwise can we accept that a gesture of apparent friendliness, of kindness is truthful and well-motivated,if we cannot make some small step towards trusting the person who offers that gesture? I'm not suggesting uncritical trust here but some small step. If we can't open ourselves up to even that possibility, then we reduce all we meet to to the moral level of those who have hurt us. We are alone indeed, if we can trust no-one but ourselves, for we have denied the possibility that others may want to help us and not harm us.

Mother Hubbard & Rowen [Not worthy!]

Duo, thanks for picking up on something. I didn't read karin's posts as platitudes necessarily either (although I remember the thread chris was talking about, and how hopeless it began to feel) I took it as an attempt to provide solace over a medium that makes comfort hard to convey. I was reminded, actually, of sympathy cards.Really. You know when someone passes around a card for someone you know who is bereaved, and you have to write a little something to let them know how sorry you are? And when that happens to me, I always make it really brief, because the enormity of what I wish I could say tends to make everything I attempt sound like tripe.(no tripe here--you know what i mean.Method acting the part of would-be consoler)

So yeah, it's just tough. On both sides.

I would like to add my own struggle with feeling valued by God. Nanny brought up trust. Imagine you have spent your life in an environment that teaches you trust gets you into trouble, trust is a liability, trust is how people get under your skin and hurt you. (I'm decribing my own trust issues now.) Then you reach a point in your life when the only way you can get off of the window ledge is to trust someone. And you realise, with horror, trust isn't there for you to access. It has been beaten out of you. Wouldn't you feel a little like the butt of an elaborate cosmic joke?
And I would like to believe that overcoming this handicap will prove things about me and about God I would have never learned otherwise. Trouble is, it is very, very very very very hard to do that. Ther may be a prize at the top of the mountain, but I can't see it from here--all I see is a huge stinking mountain, covered with rocks and I haven't even got shoes.
So all I really have to offer is "Yeah. I hear ya." With the mustard seed of hope, wish, whatever that God can use that.
{Tangent, sort of)
If you don't think it will derail the thread too much, Ealier todayI was remembering something I blurted out in my College Bible study group about the book of Job; the references here made me remember it.If you want, I wll add it tomorrow. This post has worn me out for now.

quote:
I was reminded, actually, of sympathy cards.Really.

....So all I really have to offer is "Yeah. I hear ya." With the mustard seed of hope, wish, whatever that God can use that.

My thanks for your kind words, Kelly - and my apologies to anyone, especially Nanny Ogg, who felt hurt by my bluntness.
[memo to self: improve communication]

This thread seems to have raised several issues. The first one is in the opening post: is it all right to be angry with God?

That in turn makes me ask, what do you mean by "all right"? I think God understands our anger, but our anger could well be misguided and God may not like it.

Chris said at one point that he thought being angry at God was less dangerous than being angry with people. I wonder why and I wonder if that is true.

I imagine Chris feels that if he is angry with people he could be physically violent towards them or he could damage his relationship with them (please say if that's not what you had in mind Chris).

However, can't anger with God damage our relationship with God? It is true our God is a forgiving God and a God of grace, but isn't it a bad idea to get into the habit of taking his goodness for granted?

Is God really to blame for the things that go wrong anyway?

It seems that being angry with God means on the one hand you have an image of God as a great big fluffy pussy cat in the sky who will let you do anything to him and never bat an eyelid, and yet on the other hand you think he is some ogre who orchestrates your life to make sure the custard always lands on you.

I think there may have been some other points I wanted to make, but I'm starting to lose track and I think there are enough points to be going on with.

One last thing though. There are times whe we are angry at God or at someone else for no rational reason. In that case it's no good anyone trying to reason with us and it's best if we don't try to rationalise our anger, but admit that we are deeply hurt/confused/depressed or whatever and hold on to God until that time has passed.

Posted by lanky_badger (# 3514) on :

I cannot recommend highly enough a book by Philip Yancey, entitled 'Disappointment with God'.

It discusses the questions, "Is God hidden? Is God silent? Is God unfair?".

It is absolutle brilliant. I don't often get along well with Christian books. This book gives an insight into why God behaves in the way He does, and is all biblically-founded.

Please look it up.

And no, I'm not a relative or agent to Yancey ;o)

Posted by Karl - Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

I read it. Found it as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Sorry.

[Frown]

quote:
Thinking of people who are worse off, I wonder what you think of God's attitudes to Christians in the Third World when you say: "Why do some Christians live such favoured lives? Surely all Christians should be blessed by God."

What do you think of God's attitude to those Christians who watch their children die through lack of water, food or medicine etc??

I think my comments were more towards those in the “developed world” and especially those who believe in the “prosperity gospel” – like God always wants to give blessing to those He calls His own and if you are not being blessed then there is something wrong in your life such as unrepented sin etc etc.

Maybe being angry with God is a luxury that we in the West have because we aren't struggling for our basic survival everyday.

quote:
The fact that we don't know what God knows is the very reason that we can't be sure that God "would want to ease out pain not increase it," even if he is loving. God could very well have reasons for all the ugly, abominable things that happen, reasons that make perfect sense to him yet are impossible to articulate to finite minds like ours.

But doesn’t this make a nonsense of the often quoted verse which is usually said to those going through a rough time - “I know the plans I have for you – plans to prosper you and not to harm you; plans to give you hope and a future”? (Jeremiah 29:11)

quote:
I think you make a good point about churches needing to address people's anger more, whether at God or at other people. Forgiveness is vital, but before a person can forgive they need to work through their anger. Teaching constructive ways to channel anger at God could be another good idea.

I found myself having to forgive (though not face to face) in order to move forward. I was told then that not only would God then be able to start healing me but I would then be able to start receiving God’s blessings. I now feel let down because although I felt spiritually better (for a while) my health has got worse and other crises arose. So much for healing and blessings…

quote:
There may be a prize at the top of the mountain, but I can't see it from here--all I see is a huge stinking mountain, covered with rocks and I haven't even got shoes. So all I really have to offer is "Yeah. I hear ya." With the mustard seed of hope, wish, whatever that God can use that.

I know how you feel Kelly. If I didn’t have some feeling that things might (and only might) get better at some stage then I may as well be dead. It’s this vague hope or wish that keeps me from holding on. (That and the feeling that if I did end it all I’d be adding to the pain and hurt of others. Also if I did the evil that caused one of the situations I have faced would have won and I'm not prepared to let that happen).

quote:
However, can't anger with God damage our relationship with God? It is true our God is a forgiving God and a God of grace, but isn't it a bad idea to get into the habit of taking his goodness for granted?

I wouldn’t say that getting angry is a habit, although I’m doing it rather a lot at present. Then again that’s because things are bad at the mo and all I do is hit a brick wall when I try to pray.

quote:
Is God really to blame for the things that go wrong anyway?
Who else is in total control of the world?

quote:
It seems that being angry with God means on the one hand you have an image of God as a great big fluffy pussy cat in the sky who will let you do anything to him and never bat an eyelid, and yet on the other hand you think he is some ogre who orchestrates your life to make sure the custard always lands on you.

Custard is the polite term.

quote:
I think my comments were more towards those in the “developed world” and especially those who believe in the “prosperity gospel” – like God always wants to give blessing to those He calls His own and if you are not being blessed then there is something wrong in your life such as unrepented sin etc etc....

...I found myself having to forgive (though not face to face) in order to move forward. I was told then that not only would God then be able to start healing me but I would then be able to start receiving God’s blessings. I now feel let down because although I felt spiritually better (for a while) my health has got worse and other crises arose. So much for healing and blessings…

I think you have every reason to be angry with those who preach a prosperity gospel, but as it's balone and God doesn't operate like that I don't think your quarrel is with God.

I know God is all-powerful, but for he doesn't use that power just to please himself or even to let us off the hook every time we or the people around us mess up. I think he has set certain rules in motion (I don't pretend to understand exactly how they work) and he has to abide by them too. I believe God has a purpose, and a good one, for all the bad things it seems he allows. Perhaps I have to believe it or there would seem so little point in it all, but I don't think it's just my way of coping, experience teaches me that is true. Sometimes it is helpful to cling on to that when I can't see the sense in something, though.

As for forgiveness it is essential for many reasons and we need to forgive if we are not to become bitter, but it doesn't guarantee us improved health or any other blessing from God.

Hope things do start to get better for you soon, though, Nanny.

((( ))) Karin

quote:

quote:

But doesn’t this make a nonsense of the often quoted verse which is usually said to those going through a rough time - “I know the plans I have for you – plans to prosper you and not to harm you; plans to give you hope and a future”? (Jeremiah 29:11)

That verse from Jeremiah is one of those that frequently gets quoted out of context. The next person who quotes that verse as if it were a blanket promise for all believers should be dragged out into the street and shot. [Mad]

That verse was addressed to the Jews that had been exiled into Babylon after Babylonia conquered and plundered the land of Judea as a judgment from God. It was a part of a promise that Judea would be restored again, and that the Jews would return to their homeland. It was never, and I repeat, never addressed to believers in general.

Posted by Rob - ID crisis InDiE KiD (# 3256) on :

The Catholic priest who has to comfort Jack Nicholson's character, Warren Schmidt, in the film About Schmidt tells him that it is not wrong to be angry with God, it is best to let it all out. Perhaps people are genuinely beginning to see that God is not (just) some judgemental figure in heaven who despises our anger, but a God of love who wants to hear ALL that we have to say to him...

One more thought.

For those of us who believe, surely it is better to be angry WITH God, than to be angry WITHOUT God. To believe, and relate angrily, than not to believe.

Just a thought.

Rob and MCC--both of your posts wowed me. [Cool]

Just now I am feeling rather fed up with young men around the 25 year old mark who crop up on bulletin boards and post in a way that comes across as arrogant and immature.

Apologies to all 25 year old men who don't fall into this category, and I appreciate people of any age and either sex can be prone to this.

However, the fact that one or two particular young men happen to fall into that category is vital to the point I want to make.

I was thinking, they probably can't help it, they're young and chances are I was just as bad at their age, BUT then I started to think of three people about the same age who have helped me by having great insights, inspiring me and being humble enough to listen and not think they have all the answers. I feel they have helped me more than most on my "journey" of faith over the last year or so. It struck me that these three young people have all experienced hard times, two of them I know have struggled with God, but not let go of him and have come through with a better and more real faith. They are willing to listen to what other people have to say and can express their disagreement in a way that does not attack the other person. All three seem to feel more compassion than the average person of any age.

So, although it sounds trite to say that going through hard times can make us better people, and it must be really hard to accept that while we are undergoing a great deal of pain, anguish and frustration, I personally think there is some truth in it, and those three young people seem proof of it to me.

But maybe no one will feel able to find that helpful.

Posted by McChicken (# 2555) on :

By special request of Nanny Ogg:

_Hound of Heaven_

Out of my confusion, my anger
I cried out to God
Out of my bitterness,
Out of my empty life
I screamed at God.
And He heard me.
God stopped and looked at me.
God heard me.
And I ran.
Run from those eyes
Probing into my soul,
Run, run from those relentless eyes
Destroying all my walls
Penetrating into my darkness.
Run, run from God
Run and stumble
Run and fall and run again.
Run struggling for each breath,
Straining to see through the tears
The mists of fear.
Run from the pursuing God.
Pursuing, pursuing with a vengeance.
Run from those eyes,
Those words that would answer me
Run from the utter desolation that I am.
Run to everywhere, run to everything
Run to nothing
Still He follows
Still His eyes see me
Run to nothing, and collapse.
Give in.
Give in to the pain of knowing.
God pursued me
And I ran to nowhere
God heard me,
He pursued me,
And He laid me bare.

Posted by OutOfTherapy (# 4081) on :

Looking for the right thread to resurrect, and maybe this is it. I know I am angry with God, to the point of mostly avoiding him.

Someone I was talking to today talked to me about forgiving God, which I found a very difficult concept. Logically I think that if God is God then he never does anything wrong so there is no point in trying to forgive him.

But she explained a bit and got me thinking that there could be a reason to do this if I'm feeling in a place where I feel like I need to forgive God. Even to make a bit of progress and get past some of the bitterness. I've tried to forgive the people in churches who have disappointed and hurt me. But I'm still bitter at God.

I've read the Philip Yancey book 'Disappointment with God' mentioned above, and I did find it tolerable, which is good for me and Christian literature. He isn't too preachy and is quite real in how he talks about feelings. But more and more as I go back to the book I feel for one main guy Richard mentioned as being completely disillusioned with God.

I couldn't face approaching God today, to forgive him, talk to him or anything. But I maybe got a bit closer. Thanks to a friend in the cell group which I ranted about in my Prisoner Cell Group H thread (the one who wasn't there on Thursday).

Maybe it's worth sticking with it. What do others think? I'm hoping this thread gets going again.

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

This thread certainly came along at an opportune moment -- right after the memorial service of yet another cancer victim who died too soon.

Thoughts after the memorial service of one who died too soon

I have an argument with Death; I have a quarrel with his methodology.
It is not the concept itself with which I disagree.
I know that all life must end, from the smallest gnat to the tallest redwood.
I understand the laws of physics.
I realize that the old man may welcome the rasping breath of pneumonia, and that the weary deserve to rest from carrying their loads.
But cancer strikes me as unfair, turning the body against its owner, silently, lethally betraying its own substance, sneaking back when once defeated, striking again until, at last it wins.
In taking those who still have lives to live, words to write, children to rear, music to make and by such unsporting means, Death proves it is the enemy.
God, you talked to Job; please tell me why.

Hugs to OutofTherapy and Rossweisse. [Smile]

Hey, it's back!

My turn.

Y'all gotta understand that while I believe that God unconditionally loves you and you and you and you, on some level I also believe that I am left out of the loop for some reason. I try to talk myself out of it, but it keeps popping up.

This weekend, after some job search/computer/personal/depression related setbacks, I began cleaning my room, and I found on my dresser a cardboard picture of Jesus I have had since I was kid. Due to the kind of thoughts I was thinking, I looked down at that picture of Jesus with a little white lamb in His arms, and thought,you know what? your just another man I adore and depend on who withholds all approval while handing me full measure of judgement. Isn't that what life is teaching me? that I am deserving of nothing but responsible for every mistake I make? To the point where I am afraid to make a move?
So I put this picture, and some other religious paraphenalia I had scattered about the room, in a small box, which I was planning to stuff in the closet. A twinge of guilt arose when I did this, and I responded, well, Jacob wrestled with you, Lord--consider this me wrestling with you. The box comes back out when I have some sort of conviction that God is personally interested in me.

It is hard when we feel God has lets us down and it's only natural that we should feel angry, hurt and disappointed.

A lot of stuff we are taught about God doesn't help. He's not a magician or sugar daddy in the sky who will just make everything all right. I'm sure He's all powerful and I'm sure He is truly good, so there must be some reason we can't understand why he doesn't just fix everything and make it all OK.

Some of that must have to do with natural consequences, I think, and not just the natural consequences of our actions, but of other people's and of simply living in a "fallen world" (whatever that means), where death and disease and greed and selfishness exist.

I also suspect that one reason God doesn't just zap us and make everything all right is because he wants to teach us to help each other. I think whe He sent Jesus He hoped that Jesus would inspire us to start looking out for each other and stop being so selfish. So I think it's other people who are to blame, not God - but I have been angry with God and I could be angry with Him again: when we are depressed or deeply grieved, for example, we don't always think straight and our feelings can cloud our judgement.

They also say that our idea of God is affected by our fathers. If our father let us down badly we shall have much more trouble trusting God. My dad was very critical and it took me years to shake off the idea that God was equally judgemental and to begin to understand what God's grace and forgiveness really meant. It took me quite a few more years for God's grace to really start to make a difference on my life, and I'm sure there is still great room for improvement, both in my understanding of God's grace and the changes it can bring about in me.

Try to keep faith in the loving heavenly Father Jesus taught us about, with whom Jesus died to reunite us.

I don't know if anyone will find that helpful, but I hope so.

quote:
while I believe that God unconditionally loves you and you and you and you, on some level I also believe that I am left out of the loop for some reason. I try to talk myself out of it, but it keeps popping up
completely with you on that one Kelly. And in agreement with earlier posters that God is big enough and can take us being angry. I know I do shut God up in a box somewhere too.

As for Karin's

quote:
I also suspect that one reason God doesn't just zap us and make everything all right is because he wants to teach us to help each other. I think whe He sent Jesus He hoped that Jesus would inspire us to start looking out for each other and stop being so selfish. So I think it's other people who are to blame, not God
Well maybe. Certainly I blamed other people at first. I tried different churches and tried to forgive people and kept on trying to help other people myself. But all this trying gets hard. Because the church is made up of flawed people like me I eventually decided to cut them/us some slack. I don't feel inclined to cut God any slack.

What is he doing up there? If this is all some grand experiment to see if we can help each other through the results must show fairly conclusively by now that we can't. I mean we try, and I appreciate friendly words and hugs sometimes, but they don't make up for the fact that people talk about having a personal relationship with God and I haven't got one. And I've asked, politely then less politely. [Confused] [Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by OutOfTherapy:
What is he doing up there? If this is all some grand experiment to see if we can help each other through the results must show fairly conclusively by now that we can't. I mean we try, and I appreciate friendly words and hugs sometimes, but they don't make up for the fact that people talk about having a personal relationship with God and I haven't got one. And I've asked, politely then less politely. [Confused] [Confused]

This 'personal relationship with God' is something Christians talk about all the time. And while I agree that an awareness of spirituality and God is important - even essential - to a healthy life, the problem is the way it is dressed up.

Either they (well-meaning Christians) imply that once you are 'on track with God' ('living in the bullseye of his will' is one phrase I used to hear a lot) then things will be OK. Not perfect, but OK. They aren't for many people, myself included.

Or they give you the 'you will have trouble in this world' line and say you just have to hang on to God anyway. Either stance lacks any kind of practical, real love. It's all some ethereal idea that we are somehow supposed to hold on to, that is somehow supposed to give us hope.

I'm not too bothered whether God is up there, whether he loves me, whether he in in control. What I want to see is the people that profess to be followers of his practicing what they preach. And I mean myself as well. I have found myself recently getting very angry with God, and other people, because they don't do what they say they believe in. It's like they suspend any outworking reality of their inward beliefs, and instead offer pious platitudes and limp words.

I think I will continue to be angry with God for a long, long time. Someone once said this isn't healthy - and maybe they are right. But I don't see any end to this, I don't see a God who loves me, I have not seen happen what I have been taught for years would happen. In fact the vast majority of what I believed has come crashing down around me, with nothing but Christians (and God, it seems) standing by saying 'oh dear, isn't that sad'.

So is it a 'personal relationship' with God that I need? I thought I had one of those before. Or is it something more real, tangible - something that will actually make a difference in my life. I've had enough of airy-fairy Christianity, I want proof of the things I have believed for years.

OK, rant over.

I want to explain a little more:

I thought about the whole attributing My father's attitude to God's as I was experiencing the anger I described, and I have thought it before, but I much too quickly dismiss it and write off my anger as misplaced angst from my troubled childhood. But who put me in this family? and why is it the good, kind, gentle men who seemed genuinely interested in me either died, moved away, or became otherwise unreachable, while the schitzophrenic drunkard who raised me was privy to my every move, and the Pastor that replaced one of the kindest men I knew stuck around for fifteen years to belittle me,manipulate me, shame me in front of the church, and generally instill in me a belief that my relationship with God could be taken from me at the slightest provocation? If faith will save me, Lord, then why did you let it get beat out of me? Don't you care if you lose me?
And if I tell myself, "Tsk, tsk, Kelly, you shouldn't direct your anger at God" it is just another way of reinforcing what I've been taught, that I must suffer silently, and the slightest moment of doubt is grounds for "divorce" on God's part.I DON'T BELIEVE IN THAT GOD.

As I was putting the objects in the box, I was praying. And I felt this odd sense of...permission. Like this was what was necessary for me to finallly get real. My image of God is wrong, but I need God's help to change it. Thus the gauntelet. Or "fleece", if you will.
Also, I didn't remove all the religious objects in the room, just the ones that particularly annoyed me. I chucked The Prayer of Jabez straight in the bin. What is left is my St. Francis Tao cross, the rosary my mom gave me from Italy, and my Sacred Heart votive and medallion.Maybe if I trust my instincts in this matter it will start making sense.

In the meantime, I think ultimately my actions and my angry prayers demonstrated a lot of faith in God. I certainly never could have talked to my father that way.

quote:
Maybe if I trust my instincts in this matter it will start making sense.

And that makes a lot of sense to me too, Kelly. Some people call it a 'still, small voice', but for me the instinct you mentioned IS the living proof that God is with you. Yes I get it wrong, yes my emotions are mixed up in it, yes my upbringing has a huge amount to do with it. But still I believe (want to believe) that somewhere in me is some good, something striving to be better - and that is God in me.

quote:
In the meantime, I think ultimately my actions and my angry prayers demonstrated a lot of faith in God. I certainly never could have talked to my father that way.
Me neither. Again I agree with you. The ability to be completely honest about how you are feeling - even to the extent of raging anger and dissolusionment - is something that only comes when you want to put something into a relationship. My faith in God hasn't been shaken one bit over the last 13 months, in fact it has been strengthened considerable. But my faith in what I expect of him has been shattered. And that is maybe more to do with what I have been taught about God than what I have experienced of him.

But that still makes me p**d off.

As I wasn't brought up as a Christian I have always (since becoming a Christian) been interested in finding out what it really means to be a Christian: how I should change the way I live etc. I haven't found sermons and house groups and such like have always been that helpful. As a result I joined a Bible study class that offered in depth study of the Bible. I did learn a lot from it but, while to begin with I was a bit sceptical of certain teachings, I suppose I became less questioning. After attending for 4 years I started to listen to Martyn Joseph's "Thunder and Rainbows" and, after momentarily considering some of what he sang about "unsound", I felt like he was reaffirming my instincts as to what I thought Christianity was all about. While I have gained a much better knowledge of the Bible as a result of the 5 years of the study course I did, I felt I had swallowed a lot of unhelpful teaching and I think there is a lot of it about in all different shapes and shades.

While "our instinct" should be informed by what we read in the Bible, and especially in the gospels IMO (we are Christ-ians after all) I think our instinct should not be ignored. Perhaps indeed it is the "still small voice of God". I certainly think it can be at times.

Of course, one thing Martyn has taught me is that there are no easy answers, so while I offer the thoughts that help me in case they help others, and occasionally I find they do, I realise they won't help everyone. Words have there limitations.

Chris T, do you really mean this?...

quote:
I'm not too bothered whether God is up there, whether he loves me, whether he in in control. What I want to see is the people that profess to be followers of his practicing what they preach.
To me if God isn't up there, if he doesn't love me and if he isn't in control then I see very little point to anything. As I said in a previous post I am quite resigned to the inadequacies of churches and christians, myself included.

I agree with you both about the need to follow our instincts (spirit?) and I guess that is what stops me giving up entirely.

I can't figure out how I can come round to forgiving God (what do you think on that one?) or liking him enough to seek his company again. I can see myself in a stand-off, no-win situation and I know I am so stubborn that getting to a point of saying I was wrong and God was right (the only theo-logical conclusion) is a huge step.

How is your faith in God still strong, Chris? Mine seems inextricably linked with my disappointments with what he has done or failed to do.

And finally Karin, while I share your admiration for the songs and sentiment in Martyn Joseph's work, I don't think I'm treasuring the questions. I'm too pissed off.

quote:
Chris T, do you really mean this?...

quote:
I'm not too bothered whether God is up there, whether he loves me, whether he in in control. What I want to see is the people that profess to be followers of his practicing what they preach.

Apologies, OutOfTherapy, I did not express myself clearly. What I meant to say was I know that there is a God, and that he can't be all bad. Therefore my faith in him is strong - because I know that he's still there despite what has happened. I don't think any more that he is in control, at least not in the way I have thought him to be. I believe in nuclear power, and although I believe it is a good thing, whether it is being used for good is another matter. Rubbish example I know, apologies.

quote:
I can't figure out how I can come round to forgiving God
I'm not sure, I'm still trying to figure this one out. Someone very dear to me said last year that they were just hoping that the pain would become less and less each day. I lashed back with the 'but God want you to live a victorious life - what hope is that (the pain getting slowly less) for a daughter of God?'. How stupid was I. She was right, of course. I don't believe that pain gets less - in fact in some ways it gets worse. But what happens is that part of our being that touches that pain becomes hard and insensitive to it. Forgiveness is, in part, the acceptance that this IS the way things are, and that life must go on. Forgiving God means I remain on speaking terms if nothing else. And 'speaking' could mean shouting.

quote:
How is your faith in God still strong, Chris?
My faith in God is still strong, as I haven't (yet) been shaken from believing that he exists. As I said my faith in a load of other semi-related things has been shattered. Those things include: the existance of perfect love; that God has a plan for me; that God wants the best for me and my family; that God actively gets involved in our lives; that God protects us from harm and several others.

But then this is a good day, and I've had a reasonable week so far. On bad days no doubt I would have replied with something different.

Thanks for your reply Chris, it did make things much clearer and I'm now even more with you. I guess my faith in God, as in believing he exists is still strong, as there's little point in being pissed off with someone who doesn't exist!

Maybe I'll go a bit further and say that I do believe God is in control and that he does have a plan for me. However, that does not help with the being pissed off bit. Saying that God is in control gives me more reason, almost, as it means I can blame him for not intervening when he could. I respect the concept of human free-will etc etc and understand why God lets some bad things happen. What I don't understand is why he would choose to appear so absent, why he would refuse to answer prayers along the lines of getting to know him more or why he would let people feel utterly forsaken when he CAN do something about these things.

Though I frequently doubt that God cares about me I can easily imagine him having a plan for me... it probably goes along the lines of serving diligently here and there and some big time repentance round about now. God having a plan for me doesn't mean I'll like it or comply, he's probably well aware of that.

A friend said to me at the weekend about how God lets us shout at him like a parent/carer would with a hurt teenager, an image that meant a lot as I've worked with some very angry kids. But the end of her image, and what I would want to do for the kids is be there and give them a hug once they've finished ranting. I just can't trust that God would do that for me (he hasn't in the past)so I'm not letting him anywhere near.

I did appreciate her hug though. If I were feeling more charitable towards God maybe I'd give him a bit of the credit for her care and concern, as I think she'd like. But I'm not. [Tear]

Posted by Uriel (# 2248) on :

I have found reading this thread fascinating, and see at the heart of it a desire to overcome the conflict that comes when we try and hold the following, apparently contradictory, beliefs:

1) God loves us
2) God has the power to affect the things that happen to us
3) Some things taking place in my life or that of a loved one are tremendously painful, and persist even though I have prayed to God to act.

Maintaining a Christian worldview and holding all 3 statements as true is very difficult, and trying to hold them together during times of intense suffering is so much harder. I know this as it is a place I have been in for the last year.

A year ago my wife miscarried what would have been our first child. We are still childless. At the same time as this traumatic event, an acquaintance of mine married to a curate was expecting a child. The acquaintance was in labour and there were complications. The doctors reached the point where they felt there was nothing further they could do and the baby was in serious danger. The curate/husband suggested that they all prayed, and lo and behold the complications slowly began to resolve themselves. Two weeks later they returned to their church, with healthy newborn, and everyone said how wonderful God was to have answered their prayers. So where was this wonderful God when I was on my knees praying for some kind of miracle? Why is it that as soon as I prayed things went from questionable to inevitably terminal, while the prayers of others apparently bring such good results.

Theology has to be done in the context you are living in, and your faith has to be true to your experience. So it is that I recognised I had to struggle with the age old problem of suffering, that is how can a good and powerful God remain silent to the calls of his children when they are suffering. Here is where I am up to so far...

The Free Will Defence (God permits suffering when it is due to someone's free choice, e.g. acts of terrorism) does not hold in my situation as there is no immoral action to point to that caused the miscarriage - it is just the vagaries of human biology.

The maturation argument (God permits suffering because it contributes to our maturing and becoming more fully human) is also questionable. When I broke up with my girlfriend when I was 16 I was very hurt, but that pain helped me become a more mature individual and I can thank God for the lesson it taught me. But I find it hard to believe that there is any lesson valuable enough that causing the extinction of a newly formed life is deemed a worthwhile price for it to be learned. Neither can I accept that the few shreds of good to come out of the situation (such as becoming much closer to my wife) are worth the cost of a life ending, particularly when you try and work out the ethical calculation from the point of view of the embryo who died.

The tentative conclusion I have so far reached is that Christianity has been hampered by misunderstanding the nature of God's omnipotence. To say that a being can do anything does not mean that it can do anything we can imagine. God could not make a square with three sides, because if he did it would be a triangle. Even an omnipotent being cannot do those things which are internally self-contradictory. The Free Will Defence, for example, is based on the fact that God cannot make beings that are both pre-determined in their actions yet free to choose, for such a being could not logically exist.

My current hypothesis is that God has established immutable scientific laws to govern the physical interactions of the universe, and that the sort of universe we live in necessarily needs such laws to permit its everyday functioning. God has therefore self-limited himself not to violate those laws on occasion for to do so would bring in a contradiction - we can't have immutable scientific laws that are also occasionally unstable. So if you pray for rain and it rains, it isn't because God heard you and caused rain to fall, it's just that you got lucky with your timing and the physical laws controlling the weather made it rain anyway.

This view of a God who does not directly intervene with the physical interactions of the universe may not be acceptable to some who want to believe in direct healing and other such miracles. Such a view, however, does imply a partial and fickle God who chooses to heal some while remaining idle for others. I state this because I have to be true to my experience of God's silent inactivity in my hour of greatest need. If he genuinely does answer prayers for direct healing, why does he only answer some?

Note that so far I have only talked of a God who is not able to directly interfere with the physical world. I still believe in the Christian God, and belive that his interaction in the world is through those people who align himself to his will. The purpose of prayer is not to ask God to do magic tricks, but to influence mental/emotional/spiritual states and in doing so inspire us to act in the world as the hands of God. While it would be futile to pray for food to miraculously appear on plates before the starving of the world, it would be appropriate to ask God to be with those helping the hungry and to guide oneself in knowing how to contribute.

Sorry that this has been a long post - it's taken me a year and a lot of tears to get this far. It's not something I talk about much, and wasn't sure whether to write about it on the Ship. I would love to hear if anyone has any comments on my analysis - I'm not entirely comfortable with it (it implies a strongly dualistic mind/body split, it also requires a radical reappraisal and maybe rejection of some of the biblical miracle passages), but it's the best I can do while keeping true to the wholly awful experience of losing a pregnancy.

Cheers,

Uriel.

Uriel,

I want to comment on what you said but it is hard, especially as I cannot claim to have a clue how you feel. Forgive me if any of what follows loses sight of the painful reality.

I guess I've come to conclusions about suffering that reflect the state of the fallen world we live in. In a perfect world no-one would die or lose a child. Since this is a far from perfect world sometimes these things do happen, and to Christians pretty much just as much as anyone else. This fits as logical in my brain. Being 'saved' does not, in my opinion, grant any special exemption from pain and suffering on earth. If people saw that Christians escaped any suffering then they might become Christians just to avoid such painful circumstances. Instead they see Christians struggling with pain and suffering, with horrible situations, and on a good day they see some sign of faith or comfort in God. But being real about the painful angry feelings could also be a good witness, as could seeing friends support each other.

I have no idea if God sometimes does intervene, and how he chooses when to do so. Medically some fluke healings do happen, with or without the influence of God so I would still expect this to happen to Christians sometimes. It's easier to believe that God has intervened in an amazing healing way when this happens, the miracle maybe points to a higher power. But as you say, to think that he would answer some prayers and not others is hard to accept.

Suffering is such a major part of this screwed up world. It's easy to forget about it when life seems to be chugging along fine. I haven't personally experienced particularly tragic circumstances lately and that makes it much easier for me to write from the hypothetical distance. When I read so many posts on this site I am reminded of what people are going through, and it makes me that bit more compassionate. I guess we can all use a reality check from time to time. There are so many hurting people out there.

Can't see that this is likely to be helpful but hope it doesn't seem too inconsiderate of your situation.

OOT

Thaks Uriel and OutOfTherapy, you have written with honesty and openness. I'll have to reread your posts carefully, and after that I may have something better to say.

The one thing that has struck me is that you both aren't letting go, you still believe in some good. You mention prayer and faith, despite the awful things you have been through. Maybe I'm in a similar position, I certainly see that I aam at a crossroads. Leaving my church was the first big step. I now see no positive way forward. Trust, hope and faith in times such as these become less important than survival and honesty.

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

Posted by ChrisT:
quote:
Non illegitimite carborundum
Ummm....mi scusi, Chris, but isn't that "Illegitimi non carborundum"? Or are there alternative versions?

Rossweisse // whose family motto it is (more or less)

Hey,I don't know Rossweisse - I just copied it from somewhere! I was going to change it soon anyway.

Posted by Jengie (# 273) on :

I am not sure that this makes any sense.

My reading today was the crucifixion in Mark's gospel, well actually the death of Jesus (the crucifixion was yesterday). I read a commentator on Mark and he is clear that both the account in Mark is deeply ironic and that this is climax of the gospel.

O.K. The good news is God dying abandoned, helpless on a cross. Perhaps it is just my brain but I am aware of the smelly, dirty awfulness of what happened.

If here is one of God's great moments of self revelation then my brain spinning and I do not get it. Except nothing is quite where I delude myself it is.

Jengie

Thank you for you kind response OOT. I put my post up to try and offer some thoughts on a central theme in this thread - why doesn't God do something about the awful things in the world. I used personal experience to illustrate that I was aware of that feeling only too keenly, and so that my analytical conclusions about God's inability to act were seen in their context. Suffering does not happen in the abstract, only in the very real context of people's lives, and I thought it was important to ground my abstract thoughts in the circumstances which inspired them. I hope my thoughts about God's self-imposed limitation on interacting with the world help some people to see why God may not have directly acted in their situation.

quote:
ChrisT wrote:
The one thing that has struck me is that you both aren't letting go, you still believe in some good. You mention prayer and faith, despite the awful things you have been through.

While I have changed my views about God and his interaction with the world, I have not given up believing in God. I believe God exists because the very existence of this world implies a Creator - it's the most reasonable hypothesis to my mind. That doesn't say too much about the nature of God, however. I can see both pain and joy in the world, where there is darkness there can also be light. While I cannot believe in a God who performs magic tricks, arbitrarily conjuring up healing for some preferred people while passing over others, I can still see room in a world for a God of compassion who is concerned for our situation. This brings me to Jengie's post:

quote:
Jengie wrote:
O.K. The good news is God dying abandoned, helpless on a cross. Perhaps it is just my brain but I am aware of the smelly, dirty awfulness of what happened.

If here is one of God's great moments of self revelation then my brain spinning and I do not get it.

I don't see God as an all powerful medieval monarch sitting on a cloud, responding to an in-tray of prayer request for direct intervention in the world. I do see God involved in human brokenness, limiting his involvement in the world to getting his hands dirty and trying to inspire people to do likewise. The symbol of the cross is a sign that God is somehow in the experience of brokenness and rejection, an experience that many of us in this thread know only too well. The cry of 'My God, my God, why have you rejected me' is an experience that God understands and one that we shouldn't feel ashamed of.

So if you are on this thread because you are hurt by what someone has done to you, you are in good company. If the people hurting you are your church, remember that they are not living as the broken Christ who was open to the hurt and rejected. If your pain is due to natural causes, remember that God is not a magician changing the physical world to guarantee our comfort but a fellow pilgrim on the difficult road who knows those pains only too well. This understanding doesn't answer all the questions - but I have found it a step forward into a place that makes a bit more sense than the traditional Christian answers.

Cheers,

Uriel.

quote:
Originally posted by Uriel:
So if you are on this thread because you are hurt by what someone has done to you, you are in good company. If the people hurting you are your church, remember that they are not living as the broken Christ who was open to the hurt and rejected. If your pain is due to natural causes, remember that God is not a magician changing the physical world to guarantee our comfort but a fellow pilgrim on the difficult road who knows those pains only too well. This understanding doesn't answer all the questions - but I have found it a step forward into a place that makes a bit more sense than the traditional Christian answers.

I have to agree with this - I can't see any other way it could be when I look at things clearly. A 'fellow pilgrim'. Isn't that what Jesus said - he would be with us? Not to make things easy, or even any easier, but just that he would be there. It was like that in the close relationship I had as well. She was with me, most of the time I knew she didn't understand and certainly couldn't do anything to change the situation. But she was there, and that made all the difference. I suppose when you have a fellow pilgrim who is God there are plusses. He understands, even if he won't do anything about the situation. And he won't leave of his own free will, he is bound to me.

That sounds like a daily reading of some kind, and not at all p**d off. Apologies for disrupting this thread.

quote:
I have to agree with this - I can't see any other way it could be when I look at things clearly. A 'fellow pilgrim'. Isn't that what Jesus said - he would be with us? Not to make things easy, or even any easier, but just that he would be there. It was like that in the close relationship I had as well. She was with me, most of the time I knew she didn't understand and certainly couldn't do anything to change the situation. But she was there, and that made all the difference. I suppose when you have a fellow pilgrim who is God there are plusses. He understands, even if he won't do anything about the situation. And he won't leave of his own free will, he is bound to me.

That sounds like a daily reading of some kind, and not at all p**d off. Apologies for disrupting this thread.[/QB]

Yes Chris. That's how I see it, too. However good or bad my life is, Jesus is there with me through thick and thin. He will never leave me nor forsake me: the friend who sticks closer than a brother etc. Perhaps I'd better not go on, don't want to make you feel unwell. [Wink]

Or as Martyn Joseph puts it:
quote:
This is an Undiscovered Love
Gives new meaning to the word
Pulls apart the preposition
Makes these efforts look absurd
It’s an Undiscovered Love
That draws me close tonight
Takes away the fear of darkness
And throws it to the light

quote:
(Posted by Uriel)So if you are on this thread because you are hurt by what someone has done to you, you are in good company. If the people hurting you are your church, remember that they are not living as the broken Christ who was open to the hurt and rejected.
Sorry to state the obvious but I am on this thread because I am p**d off with God. As I said before I can more easily forgive the church.

I guess my complaint is that God seems very far from walking beside me, as a fellow pilgrim or whatever. I feel like I've asked and cried to him to be there but he is refusing.

Or if he is there it's like he's asleep, like Jesus in the boat on the sea of Galilee. And there's a big storm brewing. But if I wake Jesus up, the one guy who can sort it out, he'll just have a go at me asking why am I so afraid and have I no faith? I don't like that Jesus.

I have been of this thread because I was so moved by Uriel's and ChrisT's posts that I didn't know what to add.

But your quote above, OOT, leads me to express a little theory of mine. Stories like the one you are talking about make me wonder if part of the purpose of the Incarnation was for God the Son to learn what human beings were all about ("They cry at funerals, they get all freaked out by little storms, what's wrong with them?") When Jesus was about to die, he focused his comments on the quality of love the disciples were to have for each other, and how that would reveal them to be his disciples. In my mind that was God's conclusion, after wandering among us, as to what would sustain us.
In any case, I have loved reading this thread. It's like a lump of clay that hasn't been finished yet, but is beginning to take form. I think we are on to something, but I haven't figured out what yet.

quote:
OOTwrote:
I guess my complaint is that God seems very far from walking beside me, as a fellow pilgrim or whatever. I feel like I've asked and cried to him to be there but he is refusing.

I know what you're feeling, and most platitudes do nothing to help. There are times when I've shouted at God for making the world in 6 days - why couldn't he have spent longer and done a better job? Spent a bit longer making people more empathic, or making biological systems more reliable? Road tested humanity and then taken out the bit in our brains that pre-disposes towards conflict.

But, the point about feeling far from God and totally deserted is something that Jesus experienced on the cross. The cry of desolation 'My God, my God, why have you deserted me' is one that Jesus shares with us. Maybe that as well as accusing God of being a sadist for putting us into this awful world, we can also accuse him of masochism for coming into it and sharing it with us, but at least he has shared it with us.

Cheers,

Uriel.

Posted by NickA (# 3387) on :

Chris - you come accross as having heard and tried to believe in all the good words of God about love and forgiveness, but God hasn't just said "I forgive your sin", if so man would still be in sin. What man needs and what God has made available is power over sin, something better, a new heart and mind which we only have within us once we have received the Holy Spirit. It's a completely new Life, signified by a "new tongue" (Acts 2v4, 33, 39, 10:44-46 etc).
If you have not received this you should be p**d off with the religious groups that have told you otherwise and go straight to God for what he says you need.

quote:
Uriel wrote:
most platitudes do nothing to help

and then...

quote:
NickA wrote:
God hasn't just said "I forgive your sin", if so man would still be in sin. What man needs and what God has made available is power over sin, something better, a new heart and mind which we only have within us once we have received the Holy Spirit. It's a completely new Life

Nick, while there are some situations where religious rhetoric about new life in God and the power of the Spirit to make things new are helpful, there are some where they are hollow platitudes. There have been many on this thread experiencing the latter situation, being in a place where despite their openness to the Spirit they still remain in a cold and dark place.

I know your words were given with the best of intentions, but they strike me as an attempt to squeeze life into an one-size-fits-all theological worldview, rather than making theology true to the reality of individual situations. Many people are hacked off with God because the theological worldview of an all-benevolent, helpful, healing God who makes everything better, who breaks into this world with power and good will is one that does not ring true with their situation. The sort of anger expressed on this thread is caused by this false conception of God which raises expectations and then leaves people stranded.

quote:
NickA wrote:
If you have not received this you should be p**d off with the religious groups that have told you otherwise and go straight to God for what he says you need.

The anger I have had at God was not due to my not asking to help. My anger was due to asking for God's help when my wife was in the early stages of a suspected miscarriage. When I prayed there was still scope for the pregnancy to continue to term - the miscarriage was only suspected. But, following my prayer, the miscarriage went from suspected to inevitable, with the associated physical pain and emotional trauma. This had been my time of deepest need, and my prayer was the most honest, serious and open that I had ever prayed. For the sake of my unborn child I petitioned for God's healing power to come into this situation. God remained silent.

So it was that I became angry at the God of power who breaks into our world with new life, mending the broken and healing the sick. After my experience I was unable to believe in such a God. But at least I still have the God at the centre of Christianity, the human-god who acts as a person in this world, a God of brokenness, pain, crucifixion and abandonment.

Cheers,

Uriel

quote:
Originally posted by NickA:
Chris - you come accross as having heard and tried to believe in all the good words of God about love and forgiveness, but God hasn't just said "I forgive your sin", if so man would still be in sin. What man needs and what God has made available is power over sin, something better, a new heart and mind which we only have within us once we have received the Holy Spirit. It's a completely new Life, signified by a "new tongue" (Acts 2v4, 33, 39, 10:44-46 etc).

The point of this whole thread, NickA, is not to complain that God hasn't shown himself. It's not to say 'why haven't I been forgiven'. It's not even to rant at religious groups, although that is sorely needed. The point is to ask, if this God we have is so powerful and almighty that he can create the whole universe, why hasn't he done anything about the awful situations we have found ourselves going through.

Power over sin, a new heart and a new mind are all great while the going is good. When circumstances stack up against you, you can quote every verse in the Bible, stand on every promise supposely therein, pray without ceasing. But after a time, just occasionally, you could do with some diving intervention. It's that lack of any action from God, as well as his people, that I have issue with.

And your perceived insistance on 'tongues' as a sign of true salvation will gain you little respect on these boards, I'm afraid. People want something more real, more tangible, more life-changing than an outbreak of Charismania. I have spoken in tongues for years, seen people healed, led worship, felt amazing 'moves of the Spirit'. But essentially it boils down to this - God hasn't done the one thing I needed him no. Not just wanted, not just desired, needed. All those years of faithful service have proved to be fruitless. That is where my anger and dissolusionment lies.

Posted by Karl - Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

Nick - you are hereby awarded the prize for the most useless post on any Purgatory thread since the last time someone used it for UBB practice.

You won't mind if I tell you to bugger off, will you?

This 'pissed off with God'-ness is not some stage we are going through before we receive this marvellous gift of the Spirit - it is for some of us a stage that is happening far further down our lives. I can look back on those crazy days of being "in the Spirit". And yet they faded like snow in the Spring. You go through a period of pretending it's still there. Then you acknowledge it isn't, and set about trying to regain it. But heaven remains closed; God's phone is off the hook and He never replies to any messages you leave Him.

Then you get pissed off. But not as pissed off as when some well-meaning berk tries to sell you the product that proved inadequate in the first place.

Um, Nick, prayer doesn't always fix things. Nor does "being filled with the Spirit".

Maybe you haven't experienced that yet.

Posted by nouwen (# 3103) on :

What is a healthy approach to Christian anger? Anger is a message, a revelation. Looking at and understanding the conflict we experience is a key step in illuminating the situation we find ourseleves in.....

If we are attemtping to hear God's word, we must listen to anger as carefully as we listen to joy, peace, fear and fatigue" [Kathleen Fisher].

I for one get tired of being press-ganged into public repenting sessions about about anger. In my church we have some complete t**t [could that be twit, could that be twat??], who stands up and leads the church to repent for the things they have been angry about. Like docile lemmings they jump out of reality and mumble the words whilst ditching their brains. As for me, I sit in my pew and silently think "God, I'm really pissed off with you". Strange thing is that rather than being turned away, I find myself standing at the foot of the cross and being whole-heartedly welcomed in.

quote:
Originally posted by nouwen:
As for me, I sit in my pew and silently think "God, I'm really pissed off with you". Strange thing is that rather than being turned away, I find myself standing at the foot of the cross and being whole-heartedly welcomed in.

Fantastic Nouwen, this is just what I am finding. Jesus didn't primarily welcome the well-off, the happy, the healed, the content or complete to him when he was here. And he doesn't do that now. God can have all of me - and most of me is a boiling mix of anger, resentment, bitterness, depression, dissolusionment, pain and hurt at the moment - or he can leave me.

One thing that really makes me mad is the effect that all this has. So whoop-do if these tough times are meant to be 'doing me good'. That's sick enough. But when the situation is hurting others - completely innocent others - it is made many times worse.

As Sarkycow said in another thread 'Oh that you would tear open the heavens and come down'.

Posted by nouwen (# 3103) on :

In recent weeks all I've been able to do is stand before the cross and ask "can I come before you whilst carrying such anger". If the answer is no, where on earth can I go?

However the answer has always been "yes, come and tell me about it".

If I can't scream, and shout at God as he hangs there screaming and shouting at our mutual Father than I become little less than a vagrant with out a home. Thank God that I hear Christ shouting the same, and it's in listening to this that I find myself amongst familiar company.

Posted by kenwritez (# 3238) on :

quote:
Originally posted by NickA:

Welcome to Purg, Nick, I'm glad you posted. Please pardon while some people hand you your head. You sound like a new believer, so I will assume that and give you some slack.

First off, go back and re-read Nouwen's and Uriel's most excellent posts. Then go re-read Karl's. Karl's post is a perfect example of many Shipmate's reactions to what they see as insufferable arrogance. (Although you got off very lightly, as Erin hasn't been 'round to chew on you yet.)

I, of course, am the paragon of genteel remonstrance, so I shan't tug my cuffs and then ham-slap you into bloody unconsciousness, but rather, tenderly lead you into the timeless paths of wisdom, her silver threads to gather and golden spindles to weave.

Your post reminds me starkly of a mindset I possessed for years in the beginnings of my Christian experience. There's no cure except time and grace if you're open to it. What you said is true but the expression of it is not at all as black and white, nor is it as simple, as your post paints.

I have been a Christian now for over 25 years. Yes, I speak in tongues, have prayed for people's healing and deliverances, seen miracles and felt the hand of God, yadda yadda yadda. It all fades to shit when compared to actually loving the people around me, accepting them unconditionally, telling them the truth in love, laying down my life for them in lots of little ways, and being emotionally available to them.

Look, any spiritually-pointed moron can rattle off tongues or a prophecy/word of knowledge; it's not that hard to do. The REAL work of being a Christian is love. Love is the axle around which the Gospel revolves. No love = no Gospel.

Love is...no, let's do what love is not.

Love is NOT trying to "fix" people who believe differently than you so they fit into your box of dogmas:

+ "What? You practice infant baptism? Here. let me show you The Truth...."

+ "What do you mean, you support/oppose women's ordination? Here's what God's word says on the subject...."

You get the idea.

I should shut up and let the gracious and refreshing ChristinaMarie say what I am too clumsy to craft. But, I like the sight of my own words just enough to plunge ahead anyway. So, onward....

While I've celebrated the presence of God in my life, I've also seen--in my life and in the lives of others--what looks like the terrible absence of God. God seems to show up like a party crasher when things are going well, but let hard times come around, and He's scarpered off.

This seems to happen more often than not. While there have been times I and others go through difficulties and He's there for us in a manner we can perceive, this is the exception, not the rule.

Sin? Man, it's my roomate, it rides around on my finger like a wedding ring, ready for action at a moment's notice. I can hate, lust, overeat, gossip, be prideful, lie, rage, be drunk, murder, any sin imaginable, all in a moment. People who say they have no sin, or do not sin, have no understanding of the term nor the reality.

Yes, I sin, I sin like a Chicago ward voter votes: Early and often. This is why I need God's grace and why every day I ask Him to forgive me my sins.

This is why Jesus came; to pay the price I could not for my sins, because I cannot stop sinning. He didn't have to do this, He was doing fine in Heaven, but somehow he had a thing for us, this buggered lot of humanity known collectively as mankind, and so for whatever reason, He showed up as both God and man, lived as a man, showed us God in human form, and allowed himself to be killed by us for the privilege. But the joke was on us; in so doing His death paid for our sins, but it did not immunize us from them. Sin is still a daily, hourly reality in every single Christian's life and no one gets an exemption from it.

As for tongues? It's a nice gift but it's not salvation nor is it a gold star from God signifying His big smile on such. What happens to those people who are saved but do not speak in tongues? Are they lesser Christians? More deserving of a sort of spiritual steerage since they don't speak in tongues? I don't think so.

To cheerfully contradict Karl, I invite you to hang around the Ship, see what's going on in the different threads, jump in when you like, but please, please remember: Everyone will have different experiences from you so no one will always agree with you. There's no shortage of Shipmates who post quite dogmatically ("X is wrong!" "No, it's right!") and I'm well in the lead of the pack, but I've experienced the powerful effects of kindness from some Shipmates firsthand (RuthW, Moo, Ham&Eggs, Belisarius, Erin, Presleytarian, Clare, Scot, and Motherboard come to mind and I know there've been many others who've escaped my tiny tiny brain for the moment), so if you extend to others the grace you want for yourself, you won't piss off so many people and you'll find a warm welcome for yourself here.

quote:
Originally posted by nouwen:
In recent weeks all I've been able to do is stand before the cross and ask "can I come before you whilst carrying such anger". If the answer is no, where on earth can I go?

However the answer has always been "yes, come and tell me about it".

If I can't scream, and shout at God as he hangs there screaming and shouting at our mutual Father than I become little less than a vagrant with out a home. Thank God that I hear Christ shouting the same, and it's in listening to this that I find myself amongst familiar company.

Nouwen: [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!]
EXCELLENT POST! [Big Grin]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

kenwritez

You next-to-most-recent post.

[Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!]

Moo

So it seems that some people have been there, done that and still come through the other side OK. Maybe with scars, maybe with hangups. But they are still breathing, and still believing.

Thanks for your spot-on posts Nouwen and Kenwritez [Not worthy!]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

Uriel quote
quote:
My current hypothesis is that God has established immutable scientific laws to govern the physical interactions of the universe, and that the sort of universe we live in necessarily needs such laws to permit its everyday functioning. God has therefore self-limited himself not to violate those laws on occasion for to do so would bring in a contradiction - we can't have immutable scientific laws that are also occasionally unstable. So if you pray for rain and it rains, it isn't because God heard you and caused rain to fall, it's just that you got lucky with your timing and the physical laws controlling the weather made it rain anyway.
Uriel has expressed almost exactly what I believe and like him, I came to this belief after praying for the healing of my child and being denied. Maybe it's because people who pray for their children do it with an intensity and unselfishness unlike any other prayers they ever ask. We know we've given those prayers all the sincerity and faith we have so we can only conclude that our loving God, who has heard our heartfelt pleas and seen our pain, simply doesn't interfere with the natural laws he has set in motion.

God gives me comfort and courage to face my problems, he gives doctors the goodness and knowledge to search for cures and I hope someday he will give my son a happier life, if not here then in "heaven." I still hope and pray for healing, and after ten years of things being really, really bad, they have gotten a lot better but are still fairly awful.

I just know that being angry at God is not really very helpful or logical. It would mean that while thousands were dying of starvation and disease, I didn't get angry or have doubts until my personal request was refused. Although I get angry over many things, I'm not angry at God. He has sustained me.

That's just my personal belief at the moment; I really think this question is a mystery we won't know the full answer to until "farther along."

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

God Bless Phil!

That box is getting closer to coming out...

It's been a long time since I posted on this thread - mainly as I felt I had nothing to contribute which would not sound like a platitude or trite in any way.

After a period of arguing with God and being really p****d off with God things came to a head one night (see Moving onwards and feel free to ignore)

It would have been complacent to leave things there but although things have moved forward, I still get the "why me?" and "what have I done wrong to deserve this?" and this past week has been a real struggle mainly due to the fact that I am feeling very tired, ill and depressed.

Things have changed - I do now feel God's presence with me, but I do wish circumstances were different. I also see the power of prayer but I wish there wasn't so much to ask for prayer for (if you understand).

I am holding on to promises that people have sent me in recent weeks/months - they're what are keeping hanging on at times.

Maybe God is trying to teach me something about faith - I don't know. I just wish that there was a gentler and more loving way of doing so.

Posted by alexliamw (# 2875) on :

I've never had the whole 'God is really annoying me at the moment' thing. Which is perhaps a blessing. I do find it somewhat hard to understand. I can't relate to people who talk about 'not liking God at the moment'.

Sorry to double-post, but wanted to add: I think I just deal with things in a different way, by seeking refuge as opposed to 'arguing with God'.

Hi Alex

Where do you seek refuge? And do you find it? Because if you do you are doing better than me. I think part of the arguing with God thing is the expectation of a personal relationship with God and the idea that some communication is better than none - as many people have said, God can take it.

Nanny Ogg, it was your mention of this thread on your moving on one that helped me find it in the first place. Welcome back. I see what you mean about wishing there were fewer things in need of prayer. Sometimes it all seems like an impossible mountain of need, both personal and in the world in general. I either get very upset and frustrated or I just shut down the recognition of it and go and live in la la denial land. I wish I thought God cared about my disaffection and lostness. But if he did, would he not do something about it? And if anyone wants to say he came and died on a cross for my lostness we'll have to take the issue up in hell.

OOT

quote:
Originally posted by alexliamw:
I've never had the whole 'God is really annoying me at the moment' thing. Which is perhaps a blessing. I do find it somewhat hard to understand. I can't relate to people who talk about 'not liking God at the moment'.

Alex, give it time. It will happen.

And OOT, I kind of see what you mean - it's that damn Heavenly catch 22 situation. He wants to help us, and for us to be happy, but the only way he can do that is by pulling back and letting us fail miserably and get hurt deeply. Like Nanny says, I wish there was an easier way. Either that or is it possible to see the outcome - to see the final goal, so maybe I can put this into perspective?

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie:
My reading today was the crucifixion in Mark's gospel...... <snip> I read a commentator on Mark and he is clear that both the account in Mark is deeply ironic and that this is climax of the gospel.

If here is one of God's great moments of self revelation then my brain spinning and I do not get it. Except nothing is quite where I delude myself it is.
Jengie

It's true that Mark's gospel has often been labelled as a Passion Narrative with a brief introduction, it majors so much on Christ's passion.

It's pretty certain the original version ended with the Marys and some other women discovering the empty tomb, as per chapter 16:1-8, being told by an angel that they shouldn't be alarmed, and then running away 'for terror and amazement had seized them; and they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid.'

Then come the 'two' endings, neither of which need to be discussed for the purposes of this thread.

To be left terrified and amazed as the women were, not really understanding, it would seem, what had happened to Christ, must have seemed very like not Good News. The confusion over the endings of Mark's gospel perhaps indicate something of the confusion of that time itself. The joy of Christ's resurrection and reappearance must have come later; but just at that moment what they felt was fear. They didn't, at the time, feel reassured by the angel's message.

There's something undeniably real and authentic about the messiness of the way in which Mark handles this crucial event - remembering that his work would have been used to teach the story of Christ to the earliest members of the new Church.

No explanations, no trumpetings of joy and 'hallelujahs'; just fear, terror, confusion, disbelief, and even for a while stunned silence ('and they said nothing to anyone...'). Their minds just couldn't get round it. And then an interesting, no doubt authentic, but rather botched up attempt at rounding things up, nice and neatly at the end. Again, perhaps indicating the rawness of the event and the disarray and uncertainty in which it left Christ's followers.

I'm glad, Jengie, that Mark's Good News is included, even though it seems well disguised as 'Good News?' sometimes; because it means that even in the hallowed and sanctified regions of Holy Writ - even when referring to the pivotal event of our faith - things can be messy, confusing and unsatisfying. Just like my life.

It's not much consolation at times, I suppose, but if even Jesus' friends were too scared, anxious and traumatized to hear clearly the message of 'he has been raised', then maybe there is hope for me, even in the midst of my darkest moments.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Either that or is it possible to see the outcome - to see the final goal, so maybe I can put this into perspective?
I keep telling God I want to see the blueprint, but he won't show it to me.

Moo

Alex: Welcome to the Ship, I hope you enjoy your time here and grow as a result. There are loads of excellent people onboard.

At this moment, and perhaps for a long time prior, I'm fundamentally pissed off at God.

I'm angry that He seems to be utterly random in his involvement in my life. What if, every time you went to someone who said they loved you, and asked him or her for a hug and an "I love you," and that person flipped a coin to decide whether or not to respond? Too many times when I pray, I feel I'm dropping a coin in the Slot Machine o' God and pulling that Lever of Prayer, hoping against loads of previous experience for those spiritual triple cherries banging up all in a row, ding! ding! ding!, which means God's gonna answer my prayer.

"'Round and 'round Ken's prayer goes, will God show up? Nobody knows!"

I am torn between head and heart. With my head, I know He is God: Perfect, sinless, holy, full of love for mankind in general and me in specific as evidenced by Him sending Jesus to die for me on the cross and by the times He has shown up for me.

Yet with my heart I feel the pain of severe loneliness, also the pain of medical conditions, lack of friendships, alienation, loss, unfulfilled hopes, dreams that died, cynicism, disgust at myself, self-hatred, even hopelessness at ever changing my conditions.

Where is God in all of that misery? Do I get to point to all the shit in my life and demand an accounting from Him for it?

Assuming I do (hey, it worked for Job, at least initially), this next question must follow: "Where am I?" IOTW, neither God nor I live in a moral or spiritual vacuum. Where is the dividing line between my appropriate responsibility for my own actions and attitudes, and God taking responsibility for those of His doing?

Sometimes I feel like a prisoner clattering his tin cup back and forth across the bars, yelling for release, attention, anything, yet I wonder if the only lock on my door is my own fist?

And yet...and yet...and yet I can't be honest with myself if I ignore G.K. Chesterton's question of the problem of pleasure. If I blame God for all the shit, am I arrogant enough to take credit for all the pleasure? After all, my life is not some relentless string of broken glass chewing. There are very good bits every now and then, most times even every day, altho I may have to search diligently for them.

I am also galled by the realization my perceptions are not always accurate. Lots of times I've been positive such-and-such was true, when, sad to say, it was not. (Remember that cute girl when I was in junior high that I thought liked me? BZZZT! Wrong. Draw a line from this episode through the remainder of my life.)
Shit! If I can't trust my perceptions, what can I do? I don't know what else to do, divorcing God isn't something I can do in good conscience (no judgment on anyone else who does), except continue as I have, to expect more from God than I seem to see, to keep on climbing in His face and grabbing Him by the lapels and yelling, "WTF?!"

I yell because I care.

I care because I see God as the only true, reliable answer for this fallen world and her people. I care because God said, in His book and through about a billion pastors, preachers and teachers, that He really did care about us as a human race and as individuals, and because He said He is trustworthy and true and perfect.

I care because I know I am fallen from grace, returned to it only by Jesus' death and redemption of me from my own sins I cannot pay for, that given my own inclination, I'll crawl back to a comfortable death in a heartbeat.

I yell at God because I need Him and I don't understand why He does things as He does. Why this, why that? Sometimes I'm so tempted to throw up my hands and say, "I should have my head examined for believing any of this crap."

And yet...and yet...and yet I find I cannot ignore God! I see His shadow everywhere! I cannot run from Him nor wipe Him from my mind! WTF is going on?! "Hey, God! Either kiss me or kill me, but stop fucking with me!"

For now, this sums it up for me: "We see through a glass darkly."

Yeah; no shit, Sherlock.

[Help] [Help] [Waterworks] [brick wall]

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I'd forgotten about it and wanted to respond...

quote:
Hi Alex

Where do you seek refuge? And do you find it?

I seek refuge in God. I have enough people in life to get angry at without God as well - I hope that God is a break from all that.
quote:

Alex, give it time. It will happen.

I'm not sure I want it to!
quote:
Originally posted by kenwritez:
Alex: Welcome to the Ship, I hope you enjoy your time here and grow as a result. There are loads of excellent people onboard.

Actually, I've been a member for coming up to a year, as you can see from my joined date below, I just don't post very often. But thanks anyway [Smile]

[fixed UBB for quotes]

[ 19. April 2003, 19:53: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Alex

Thanks for replying but I don't really think I'm getting what you mean. How do you find refuge in God? What comfort does he offer you? Do you think he's more than just a figment of your imagination - and can you prove it?

I'm just a bit fed up of waiting for God to deliver any sort of refuge... I'd love to go to some safe peaceful place with God but I feel utterly shut out. Maybe it's hard for you to understand how anyone can be pissed off with God. But read the thread in hell, 'Calling God to Hell' to get some insight into the darkness people are experiencing. *If* you can offer some genuine light I think people might appreciate it - but just a 'I'm fine' isn't very helpful.

OOT

quote:
But read the thread in hell, 'Calling God to Hell' to get some insight into the darkness people are experiencing. *If* you can offer some genuine light I think people might appreciate it - but just a 'I'm fine' isn't very helpful.

OOT

Just a thought, Alex:

Definitely read the Calling God to Hell thread. But it isn't really a debating thread--it's a venting thread.

If you have insights to offer, would probably be best to offer them here, or to start a new thread.

People have tried offering insights down on the hell thread but...well, those of us who are venting usually don't find it helpful.

Posted by Zeke (# 3271) on :

I have a friend who doesn't ever go to church, and I was trying to convince him to darken the door at least on Easter, but he said he doesn't want to go to church because he never gets anything he prays for. I didn't know what to say, and you'd think a preacher's kid would have the quick answer to that one without even thinking about it. But I know the things he wants, and they are very nice things. He wants a girlfriend. He wants his mother to have less pain from her arthritis. He wants things to be better in his country (he is Venezuelan). What could I tell him? I finally said that maybe the girlfriend he wants would be at church. I was not pleased with that answer, and neither was he. I just offered to pray for him myself, and he was touchingly grateful, believing that maybe God would listen to me more than him.

This makes me very angry with God. My son never goes to church and no longer considers himself a Christian for similar reasons. God hasn't provided for his needs, no matter how hard he works. People expect me to have answers because I am the one who is involved in a church and claims to be a Christian. I have ongoing health considerations as well, and other things I don't even want to discuss, and when I pray I feel like I am talking into a dead phone!

I'm not asking for a Ferrari and a mansion in the country with servants and a pad for my helicopter. I am not asking for trips around the world, fame, beauty. All I need is some basic stuff, for myself and for friends and family. I know you aren't supposed to think of God as some kind of vending machine, but prayers are supposed to do SOMETHING, aren't they?

Does anybody have anything helpful to say? Because I am completely out of answers.

Zeke--

Nope, sorry. Nothing to offer but a hug. I'm similarly situated.

Anything that God has been purported to do over the years seems extremely erratic.

Posted by shuggie (# 3141) on :

I've been visiting this site long enough to know the regulars don't suffer glady those who seek to offer easy answers to hard questions. What I'm about to say may seem like a trite platitude, but it's not, it comes from my own personal experience. However I'll risk being misunderstood for the possibility of helping someone.

My advice for those who feel pissed off at God:

Don't give up

Told you it would sound trite didn't I? But I'm passionate about this. You see 5 years ago I did give up. I deliberately turned my back on God and walked away. Not because I stopped believing, but because it just didn't seem to work. I felt disappointed and let down by God. I felt emotionally and spiritually worn out. It's not so much I lost my faith as it just drained away.

But as little as I felt I had, as distant as my relationship with God felt, I still had to make a conscious decision to end it.

And the thing is that now, a few years later, my life is more stable and my thoughts turn to God and faith occasionally, and I regret that decision. Because I feel like I can't go back. I feel like I crossed a line in myself somehow and it's hard to go back. Christians I talk to tend to give me the trite answers too. They don't understand why it's hard for me to go back, and I can't seem to articulate it, but you may as well ask a man with broken legs to climb Everest.

If I could go back and make a different decision, I would. Because as hard as it was not to give up then, this is harder.

So I say, be angry with God, be pissed off with him, rail at him if you have to - I'm sure you can't shock him, and he won't reject you for it - just do without completely giving up.

Your fellow Christians almost certainly won't be as accepting - they're human after all. Many won't understand. Many will be angry at you because they need you to maintain the pretence of what a 'good Christian' should be, otherwise they themselves feel threatened. Do your best to ignore them. If you're lucky, then like me you'll find out who your real friends are. There are 2 or 3 people who are left who I still talk to, who I can be completely honest with. They've seen the real me and whether or not they understand they don't judge and they listen. Those are the special relationships - hold on to those if you can.

Sorry this is starting to sound preachy. Please believe that I'm not saying this because I think it's all easy. And I'm definitely not saying it because I think I have personally got life figured out. I'm saying it because it's my experience and hopefully it may help someone.

Hi Shuggie! Thanks for your post. IMHO, you did fine. [Smile] When you're in pain, there's a big difference between being told "you're wrong for feeling what you do" and "don't give up".

I hope you find what you need, Shuggie. [Love]

Sorry for being brief in my previous post. It was reviving an old thread and I spose I kinda doubted anyone was going to read it anyway.

I seek refuge in God because, in the middle of a world where so much can go wrong, God can be a comfort. You need someone to talk to - and prayer can be very therapeutic - God has no hidden agenda. Rather than blaming what goes wrong in our lives on God, we could just be talking to God about whats going wrong and praying for guidance. This might be easier said than done, but I've never understood the point in blaming God, when we know so little about how everything works, and I've thought that the point was to try and gain some sort of comfort. If a friendship with someone broke down, rather than getting angry with God for it breaking down, you take comfort in the fact that God will always be your friend, there for you.

I'm not saying that getting angry with God is wrong, bad or crazy, simply that I find it difficult to relate to. Sure, if things go desperately wrong, it might shake someone's faith or give them doubt, but hopefully instead of getting angry with God they could draw some comfort from the fact that he's always there to talk to.

Some people may look down on this and say "you're deluding yourself" or "if you don't have conflict with God, you can't have a real relationship with Him" but I'm sorry, its the way it is for me at the moment. And I have to say I'm fairly happy with it.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

I remember a few years ago I was upset about something (I don't remember what, anymore) and I wanted to just burst, and ... well, for lack of a better description, it seemed to me that Jesus just let me pummel him, the way a very small child might when crying and very upset, and it was very comforting to me -- like He was saying, "It's okay! I can take it! Let it out! Let it out at Me!"

I still feel sort of safe and secure when I remember that.

David
had forgotten about it till he re-read this thread

Thanks Golden Key for clarifying what I meant about giving any advice - I did wonder about mentioning the Calling God to Hell thread as I know platitudes are not well received. Part of me wanted to challenge anyone to come up with any helpful 'light', but I know that I may well be one of those who sneer at the most well-meant advice.

That said I haven't got a reason to complain at any of the recent posters here. I appreciate the honesty and concern shown in even taking time to reply.

Part of me still jumps to comfort and encourage others, wanting to say it's not too late and even if you do completely give up on God I think there would be a way back, difficult though it may well be. But as someone who has done some serious drifting lately I guess I just don't know anymore.

I echo the posters above - I haven't been asking for riches, mansions or a painfree life. When I was last talking to God about myself it was simply along basic lines of knowing him, finding some sort of peace, having some sort of relationship with him. Desperate heart-cries.

I really cannot fathom why God would not answer those sorts of prayers - the sort I thought he always wanted. I guess even puzzling over it is completely exhausting. If God is my parent then I'm waiting for Social Services to intervene. Another absent father with a busy lifestyle and too little time for his kids. I'm coming round to a resignation with it I guess, but I don't like it.

OOT

quote:
If God is my parent then I'm waiting for Social Services to intervene. Another absent father with a busy lifestyle and too little time for his kids. I'm coming round to a resignation with it I guess, but I don't like it.

This is pretty much where I am now. Where I've been for months in fact. It's not really a question of giving up, as I realised that I cannot refuse to believe in God ad therefore part of my life at least will always be bound up in him. But I feel I'm failing to hang on to something. That thing could well be my fundie upbringing, in which case good riddance to it. But if it's something deeper and more important than that I want to know what it is and what I do to keep it.

Still, I have stopped asking for some things. Not greedy or bad things of course, as some one mentioned above 'heart cries'. I've stopped asking because it's obvious that I'm not going to get it. And before anyone says I shouldn't give up, tell me where God guarantees to give us everything we ask for. Then I'll tell you a place where God has lied to me.

It's like the what Henry Ford said: 'You can have any colour as long as it's black'. God is saying 'I'll give you anything you want, as long as it's what I've decided beforehand to give you'.

© Ship of Fools 2016