Thread: Purgatory: BBC Article on Medical Miracles Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001151

Posted by Komensky (# 8675) on :

Read the story here, if you care to. It's more of the same to anyone who cares to read scholarly and medical literature on the subject. There is something close to zero (or in some cases negative) medical effect of prayer and no evidence of 'miracle' healing—the instant sort that appear to happen at religious events. I certainly don't believe that prayer itself is a power (like The Force), but I am still inclined to pray privately or silently for people in hope. Why is it that some Christians feel the need to carry out these circus shows where they claim healing (none verified, nor do they usually allow unfettered medical examinations) or even raising the dead. No amount of fact seems to dissuade them or their followers. Why does it persist?

K.

[ 28. June 2014, 09:49: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Posted by daronmedway (# 3012) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
Read the story here, if you care to. It's more of the same to anyone who cares to read scholarly and medical literature on the subject. There is something close to zero (or in some cases negative) medical effect of prayer and no evidence of 'miracle' healing—the instant sort that appear to happen at religious events. I certainly don't believe that prayer itself is a power (like The Force), but I am still inclined to pray privately or silently for people in hope. Why is it that some Christians feel the need to carry out these circus shows where they claim healing (none verified, nor do they usually allow unfettered medical examinations) or even raising the dead. No amount of fact seems to dissuade them or their followers. Why does it persist?

K.

Because some Christians, like me, have seen people healed when prayed for. I don't feel any particular need to have the healings to which I'm referring (frozen shoulder, infertility) "officially" verified by someone "official". I just pray for people to be healed and a few are. That's it.

Posted by TheAlethiophile (# 16870) on :

It persists because it expresses a particular form of pentecostalism (this is not the same expression of faith that I would use, even though I would self-identify as a pentecostal).

This particular form often hinges on the interpretation of John 14:12-14:
quote:
Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.
The idea behind it is that by witnessing God performing a miracle (even though there is often a trace, or more, of a personality cult around those with 'healing ministries') that that is the best form of evanglism possible.

I wouldn't deny the possibility of God enacting a miracle. However, before I testify about it, I would want some evidence on which to ground the claim. This is where I differ from those in the article. When claiming a miracle, surely a major criterion should be that of 1 Thess 5:21: "test everything; hold fast to what is good"

quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
Because some Christians, like me, have seen people healed when prayed for. I don't feel any particular need to have the healings to which I'm referring (frozen shoulder, infertility) "officially" verified by someone "official". I just pray for people to be healed and a few are. That's it.

Can you imagine a world whereby saying 'I saw something that appeared to be a "healing" and therefore it is truth' might not be too convincing? Especially given that every single investigation into verifying such events has yielded a negative?

K.

[code healed]

[ 10. March 2014, 15:52: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posted by EtymologicalEvangelical (# 15091) on :

I can't say whether I am the beneficiary of a medical miracle or not, but generally when your Left Anterior Descending artery is fully occluded (i.e. blocked) you die or at least you have a serious heart attack.

The man writing this post is neither dead, nor did he have even a minor heart attack. Yet he also possesses a medical report confirming that his LAD was 100% occluded before being unblocked via angioplasty.

I suppose it's possible that nature could have found a way to maintain the perfect health of my heart while having what is known as the 'widowmaker' artery fully blocked, but it is exceedingly unlikely.

I have no problem talking about a medical miracle, and I don't care whether any other person shares that belief or not. I don't need permission from atheists to draw plausible conclusions.

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE] Because some Christians, like me, have seen people healed when prayed for. I don't feel any particular need to have the healings to which I'm referring (frozen shoulder, infertility) "officially" verified by someone "official". I just pray for people to be healed and a few are. That's it.

Can you imagine a world whereby saying 'I saw something that appeared to be a "healing" and therefore it is truth' might not be too convincing? Especially given that every single investigation into verifying such events has yielded a negative?

K.

Why would I waste my time imagining such a cut-and-dried world? I'd much rather fulfil my calling in this mysterious one, pray for people to be healed and thank God on the occasions when they are. Ultimately whether sceptics are convinced of the particular healings I witness or not is immaterial: they weren't prayed for with those sceptics in mind in the first place.

Posted by hatless (# 3365) on :

quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
I can't say whether I am the beneficiary of a medical miracle or not, but generally when your Left Anterior Descending artery is fully occluded (i.e. blocked) you die or at least you have a serious heart attack.

The man writing this post is neither dead, nor did he have even a minor heart attack. Yet he also possesses a medical report confirming that his LAD was 100% occluded before being unblocked via angioplasty.

I suppose it's possible that nature could have found a way to maintain the perfect health of my heart while having what is known as the 'widowmaker' artery fully blocked, but it is exceedingly unlikely.

I have no problem talking about a medical miracle, and I don't care whether any other person shares that belief or not. I don't need permission from atheists to draw plausible conclusions.

So your LAD artery became occluded, you lived with this for a while, then you had angioplasty which resolved the situation. And you think that the middle of these three things is the medical miracle? Why not the other two?

quote:
Originally posted by hatless
So your LAD artery became occluded, you lived with this for a while, then you had angioplasty which resolved the situation. And you think that the middle of these three things is the medical miracle? Why not the other two?

I lived with this condition for at least two months, interpreting angina as merely stress. Usually the occlusion of the LAD results in swift death. So I do consider the middle one the miracle.

If you're asking me whether God should be held responsible for causing the condition in the first place, then no. Things happen in life, either through one's own fault, or the general fallenness of the world, and it doesn't follow that the healer should be responsible for the initial condition. As for the medical procedure that cured the problem: of course, this is down to medical science, and I see no dichotomy between God's intervention and the role of medical science, given that God is the sustainer of life and therefore of human skill.

An atheist once told me that my ability to live with this serious condition could not have had anything to do with God, because I did not apparently rely on God to get the problem solved. This is a false dichotomy, which seeks to define 'miracle' in such a way as to exclude any human involvement. The necessary role of science is not proof of atheism or the absence of God, because God, being the absolute authority, has authority over science, and can use it as He sees fit.

I certainly believe (through personal experience) that God intervened and sustained me during that period of my life, and that itself is a kind of miracle.

quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway
Ultimately whether sceptics are convinced of the particular healings I witness or not is immaterial: they weren't prayed for with those sceptics in mind in the first place.

Very good point!

Our faith in God and in His activity, is not dependent on the approval of sceptics.

quote:
quote:
Ultimately whether sceptics are convinced of the particular healings I witness or not is immaterial: they weren't prayed for with those sceptics in mind in the first place.

Very good point!

Our faith in God and in His activity, is not dependent on the approval of sceptics.

I don't quite follow. The approval or disapproval of skeptics or believers is not part of the equation. What is being asked is for very specific (and incredible) claims to be substantiated by those doing the claiming. It hasn't happened. Why should choosing to demand truthfulness in any way deny God?

K.

Posted by Crœsos (# 238) on :

quote:
Very good point!

Yes, often with tragic results.

quote:
Two Philadelphia faith-healing churches have a long history of the youngest members of their congregation dying because parents refused medical care.

Families who attend Faith Tabernacle Congregation in North Philadelphia and First Century Gospel Church in Juniata Park have lost more than two dozen children to illness since 1971, according to non-profit Children’s Healthcare Is a Legal Duty, Inc. (CHILD, Inc.). Both churches believe in the power of prayer over modern medicine.

The Schaibles are one of those families.

Herbert and Catherine Schaible stand charged with third-degree murder and other crimes after their 7-month-old son Brandon died from bacterial pneumonia, dehydration and a group B streptococcus infection on April 18.

Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams says the boy’s death could have been prevented, but the couple instead turned to prayer.

This is the second time the couple lost a child to illness. They were sentenced to 10 years probation after the 2009 death of their 2-year-old son Kent. Kent died after contracting pneumonia, an illness prosecutors said could have been prevented with basic medical care.

While I'm sure folks like the Schaibles take quite a bit of pride in the disapproval of skeptics, the rest of us are just appalled.

quote:
Originally posted by Croesos

Total non sequitur and false dichotomy. Not only did I not imply that a belief in the miraculous obviates the role of natural medicine, but I actually affirmed the role of medical intervention.

You really couldn't misread someone's posts more glaringly, if you tried!!

[ 10. March 2014, 13:40: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

quote:
quote:

Total non sequitur and false dichotomy. Not only did I not imply that a belief in the miraculous obviates the role of natural medicine, but I actually affirmed the role of medical intervention.
Skeptic! Why are you casting aspersions on the Schiable's belief that God would miraculously heal their children?

quote:
Originally posted by Komensky
What is being asked is for very specific (and incredible) claims to be substantiated by those doing the claiming. It hasn't happened. Why should choosing to demand truthfulness in any way deny God?

Well, it depends what you mean by claims being substantiated.

What are the standards being applied?

It seems to me that the general approach is this: if an unexplained healing takes place, and there is a natural explanation - no matter how improbable and far-fetched - then that healing could not have been miraculous. The concept of implausibility is not factored into the equation. In fact, even when there is no natural explanation, there is often the claim of "spontaneous remission / regression", as if that really means anything from a naturalistic point of view.

You talk about 'truthfulness', but given the impossibly high standard that miracle claims have to achieve, then I don't think the investigation or consideration of these claims is fair.

In my case, it is possible to talk about collateral circulation. Who knows?

I remember on one occasion (during the time that I thought my chest pains were just stress related following redundancy) walking along the seafront of the town where I live and feeling like I was about to collapse. I prayed and the severe pain disappeared. Was that a miracle? I assume that it was. Yes, I should have called an ambulance. I was stupid for not doing so, and one could argue that God should have given me the wisdom to deal with this problem in the proper way, but the fact is that such a severe condition does not disappear in a matter of a minute such that I could continue my walk and attend a jobfair with no problem just minutes later. A sceptic would say: "if there is a natural explanation for this 'remission' of pain and distress, then clearly this had nothing to do with God". I don't have to accept that explanation. That is what I meant by saying that my faith is not dependent on the approval of sceptics. And it has nothing to do with rejecting the role of medical science, which is the absurd position taken by Croesos.

quote:
And it has nothing to do with rejecting the role of medical science, which is the absurd position taken by Croesos.

Why not? If you're not sick or ailing in any way (which is the assumption that would logically follow from a belief that faith healing has been successfully applied) why would someone need the attention of medical science? Wouldn't seeking out such attention after supposedly being "healed" indicate skepticism?

Posted by hatless (# 3365) on :

I'm not a doctor, but as I understand it, an artery isn't like a hot water pipe. It is elastic. The blood pulses down it, rather than flowing steadily. And the artery itself is muscular and to some extent pulses with the flow.

As a result an artery can be blocked most of the time, but when there is a rise in pressure as the heart beats, it can open and let blood through. I'm not sure if this is what 100% occluded means.

Praying might involve stopping walking or at least slowing. It might involved turning your thoughts from stressful anxieties towards beliefs and feelings that you find calming. People can be taught techniques to reduce their blood pressure, and I would expect normal prayer to be effective at slowing the heart.

It's about as explicable as angioplasty.

I come back to the occlusion itself and why that isn't a miracle, just something that happens. I've heard people claim it was a miracle that they could walk away from a terrible car crash, but not that the patch of oil that caused the crash was a miracle. You can't pick and choose your favourite things to be miracles.

quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
I come back to the occlusion itself and why that isn't a miracle, just something that happens. I've heard people claim it was a miracle that they could walk away from a terrible car crash, but not that the patch of oil that caused the crash was a miracle. You can't pick and choose your favourite things to be miracles.

Well, it's pretty obvious that you can pick and choose, just that there's no consistent rationale that can be applied other than 'God gets credit for what I consider "good stuff", but all the "bad stuff" is just nature being a bitch'.

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

Yes, I would have thought that picking and choosing was absolutely central to this way of thinking, since so many things don't improve.

It's a bit like the sole survivor of a disaster thanking God, and ignoring the irony of that.

I don't mind it really; I suppose the 'it's true, because I say so' line does start to grate after a while.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I have seen some studies that show that people who are ill tend to recover quicker when they are being prayed for. I have no idea why this is, and it may simply be the fact that someone cares enough for them. But it indicates that praying for people who are ill is a positive thing to do.

I think there is a danger when praying if done instead of treatment, as a sort of divine NHS. That is a different matter. I am all for praying for people who are ill, praying before their operations etc. I think it is a good thing to do. I don't think relying of God to heal when there is other more reasonable routes (at least in the UK, where the NHS is still free to all).

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical
And it has nothing to do with rejecting the role of medical science, which is the absurd position taken by Croesos.

Why not? If you're not sick or ailing in any way (which is the assumption that would logically follow from a belief that faith healing has been successfully applied) why would someone need the attention of medical science? Wouldn't seeking out such attention after supposedly being "healed" indicate skepticism?
This is yet another reason for believers to resist allowing their thinking to be governed by the demands of sceptics, given that some of the latter construct straw man arguments, as here. You are basically imposing your view of the idea of divine activity on other people, and then judging their views accordingly. Well, of course, that is just totally out of order.

This idea that there is an absolute dichotomy between God's activity, on the one hand, and natural functions and processes, on the other, is a nod to Platonism / neo-Platonism, and is not consistent with historical Christianity, which affirms the role of nature within God's economy. I am under no moral or intellectual obligation to defend a view of theology, to which I do not subscribe.

There is nothing intrinsically evil or unholy about medicine (I say 'intrinsically', because there are treatments with which I happen not to agree). The idea that God can only work by some 'pure' direct spiritual means is an anti-Christian notion, being a fundamental denial of the incarnation.

Furthermore, healing can be achieved either instantaneously or, more often, through a process. If the latter, and if it includes medical intervention, there is no reason why God should not have been involved, and that there could not have been elements of the miraculous along the way. That idea is not at all illogical or contrary to any of the teaching of mainstream Christianity.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Very good point!

I don't quite follow. The approval or disapproval of skeptics or believers is not part of the equation. What is being asked is for very specific (and incredible) claims to be substantiated by those doing the claiming. It hasn't happened. Why should choosing to demand truthfulness in any way deny God?

K.

A dogmatically incredulous person will project incredibility onto any claim that challenges their presuppositions. In other words, sceptics will view any claim to the miraculous as incredible. I don't think the healings to which I've been party are incredible. On the contrary, I think they are eminently credible and that's why I accept their veracity. Pastorally speaking, in terms of my relationship to the individuals in question, your incredulity is precisely irrelevant.

quote:
Well, it's pretty obvious that you can pick and choose, just that there's no consistent rationale that can be applied other than 'God gets credit for what I consider "good stuff", but all the "bad stuff" is just nature being a bitch'.

This argument would have merit if the entire universe operated according to the principle of divine determinism.

But we know that determinism is a myth, and you don't even need to be a theist to recognise that!

quote:
quote:

This is yet another reason for believers to resist allowing their thinking to be governed by the demands of sceptics, given that some of the latter construct straw man arguments, as here. You are basically imposing your view of the idea of divine activity on other people, and then judging their views accordingly. Well, of course, that is just totally out of order.
Hey, I didn't invent the Faith Tabernacle Congregation, nor am I "imposing [my] view of the idea of divine activity" on them. Their justification for what essentially amounts to child murder via medical neglect could probably be summed up as "Our faith in God and in His activity, is not dependent on the approval of sceptics". If that's a valid explanation for you, why not for them?

quote:
This argument would have merit if the entire universe operated according to the principle of divine determinism.

But we know that determinism is a myth, and you don't even need to be a theist to recognise that!

Determinism has nothing to do with it. If God can and does arbitrarily cause what you would consider "good stuff" (random healings, finding a good parking space, etc.) why not some "bad stuff" too (smiting someone with heart disease, letting that other guy get your parking space, etc.)? There's no reason to believe an arbitrary God has to always be arbitrary in your favor.

quote:
Hey, I didn't invent the Faith Tabernacle Congregation, nor am I "imposing [my] view of the idea of divine activity" on them. Their justification for what essentially amounts to child murder via medical neglect could probably be summed up as "Our faith in God and in His activity, is not dependent on the approval of sceptics". If that's a valid explanation for you, why not for them?

So let's get this straight.

You hold a particular view of how divine activity ought to work, and it seems you have been influenced by the Faith Tabernacle Congregation. And therefore I am supposed to accept this, and defend this view, with which I happen not to agree.

I utterly deplore the approach of this church. Why am I being asked to defend what I don't accept?

I have already given my theological reason for affirming that God works in concert with natural processes.

Perhaps you would like me to defend the 'healing' practices of African juju priests, because, hey, it's all 'religion', innit?

It really is pretty pathetic to criticise someone's view, by expecting that person to defend a view, with which he disagrees, even though there may be a few vague similarities between that view and his own.

How about this?: The North Korean regime is atheistic and anti-Christian. Could you, Croesos, please explain why you agree with that regime?

You would, quite rightly, tell me to stop being so ridiculous. But that is exactly how you sound to me!!

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

I have never prayed to God to make a cancer with a gloomy prognosis go away. I have, however, prayed often for the strength to handle it, and have given thanks, often, for the gifts of healing placed in the hands of the surgeons and many others who have treated and cared for me. Ultimately, a metastatic cancer usually has one predictable outcome, but until then I've found the ability to laugh in its face, to work again, and to enjoy living for as long as the body hangs together in reasonably good working order. You can call it a miracle if you like.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Very good point!

K.

A dogmatically incredulous person will project incredibility onto any claim that challenges their presuppositions. In other words, sceptics will view any claim to the miraculous as incredible. I don't think the healings to which I've been party are incredible. On the contrary, I think they are eminently credible and that's why I accept their veracity. Pastorally speaking, in terms of my relationship to the individuals in question, your incredulity is precisely irrelevant.
Ok, fine. Please just prove it under the same conditions with which medicines are proven to work/not work.

Why does he need to 'prove' it?

quote:
quote:

So let's get this straight.
Okay.

quote:
You hold a particular view of how divine activity ought to work, and it seems you have been influenced by the Faith Tabernacle Congregation.

Nope, not straight. The FTC holds a particular view of how divine activity ought to work. I was commenting on the way in which it seems compatible with (though not identical to) your own.

quote:
And therefore I am supposed to accept this, and defend this view, with which I happen not to agree.

I utterly deplore the approach of this church. Why am I being asked to defend what I don't accept?

Again, a bit crooked. No one's asking you to defend their approach, you just can't seem to help yourself.

quote:
I have already given my theological reason for affirming that God works in concert with natural processes.

But you keep hedging about God working outside natural processes. The sort of thing discussed in the OP and the article I linked to. On the one hand you claim to "deplore" those with such beliefs, but on the other you hold that "healing can be achieved . . . instantaneously", which would seem to be in line with the basis of FTC practice. If God does heal instantaneously, in ways inexplicable in terms of natural causes and does so in response to human requests (prayer), then in what sense are FTC's beliefs wrong?

Because they are predicated on a false dichotomy between "secular" and spiritual, science and faith, which has led to an unjustifiable and unbiblical rejection of conventional medicine in favour of an erroneous and sub-biblical conception of faith.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Very good point!

K.

Ok, fine. Please just prove it under the same conditions with which medicines are proven to work/not work.
That's a bit like insisting that the value of a listening ear be measured by means of the hypotetico-deductive method. I'm sure it's theoretically possible but I'm not sure it's at all necessary.

It also has the ring of the Pharisee.

quote:
On the one hand you claim to "deplore" those with such beliefs, but on the other you hold that "healing can be achieved . . . instantaneously", which would seem to be in line with the basis of FTC practice.

I anticipated that someone would pick up on that, and that is why I was careful to insert the word 'only' in the sentence immediately preceding the 'instantaneous healing' comment.

Go and look it up and meditate thereon.

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

quote:
Because they are predicated on a false dichotomy between "secular" and spiritual, science and faith, which has led to an unjustifiable and unbiblical rejection of conventional medicine in favour of an erroneous and sub-biblical conception of faith.

While I don't agree with everything you have posted upthread, this is entirely agreeable. It is not possible to separate physical, emotional, science, and religious (or spiritual as the newer terminology). True that.

However, the very expectation of miracles and the attribution of particular events to a miracle seem to me to be problematic as well. First, there is no controlling or channelling God nor faith to do any form of work for us. None.

Second, the attribution of an occurrence to a miracle always begs the question: why him/her and not me?, or why this situation and not that other one? And I don't understand why God might intervene for an individual and not a larger population, say people lining up for a German gas chamber or getting arms chopped off in Cote D'Ivoire. Sure, cure cancer or an infarct within our first world piety but not bother about dying en masse in the third. I think they may pray equally well in both.

-- I've posted before that I think that God offers support, nothing more. I do wonder that if God offered a miracle now, I might have to hand it back, with a "no thanks" and keep eating my apple which I have claimed now for mine own.

This owes more to the theology of Ricky Gervaise than anything I recognise as properly Christian.

quote:

It's only a false dichotomy if it doesn't work. Evidence (in the form of a bunch of dead kids) would seem to indicate that it doesn't, but that's the kind of thing that relies on the dreaded "naturalistic point of view".

quote:
quote:
On the one hand you claim to "deplore" those with such beliefs, but on the other you hold that "healing can be achieved . . . instantaneously", which would seem to be in line with the basis of FTC practice.

I anticipated that someone would pick up on that, and that is why I was careful to insert the word 'only' in the sentence immediately preceding the 'instantaneous healing' comment.
But if God does instantaneously heal people, and does so upon request, why insist on the much more painful and invasive vagaries of modern medicine? You're positing a two-tiered system, with one tier (instantaneous miracle) being vastly superior to the other (medical intervention), yet recommending that second tier to everyone. It's almost as if you lacked confidence, or faith, in miraculous healing.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

My GP was diagnosed with an abdominal tumour which was clearly identified by a PET scan. He said farewell to his patients, set his affairs in order and went for surgery to remove as much of the tumour as could be removed to ease his discomfort. Meanwhile the congregation gathered around and pleaded with the Lord to save this wonderful Christian doctor. When the surgeon operated, the tumour was nowhere to be seen - it had disappeared. The surgeon was stunned, and being an atheist, was nonplussed at the outcome. There was no real explanation other than divine intervention.

Posted by pydseybare (# 16184) on :

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
There was no real explanation other than divine intervention.

How about 'random, inexplicable thing happens to random person in a random way that is not easily explained by medical science'.

Just because science cannot explain something this does not mean that the thing is not explainable by science, nor that the only explanation is divine intervention.

quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare:
quote:

How about 'random, inexplicable thing happens to random person in a random way that is not easily explained by medical science'.

Just because science cannot explain something this does not mean that the thing is not explainable by science, nor that the only explanation is divine intervention.

Indeed. As mentioned earlier developing a tumor in the first place often has no clear medical reason. Yet we very rarely attribute that to divine intervention.

quote:
But if God does instantaneously heal people, and does so upon request, why insist on the much more painful and invasive vagaries of modern medicine? You're positing a two-tiered system, with one tier (instantaneous miracle) being vastly superior to the other (medical intervention), yet recommending that second tier to everyone. It's almost as if you lacked confidence, or faith, in miraculous healing.

Firstly, I don't recall saying that instantaneous healing was superior (vastly or otherwise) to a healing process involving medical intervention. So you are putting words in my mouth there.

Secondly, there could be many reasons why God works through a process rather than instantaneously. Unlike atheists, Christians believe that there is more to life than the merely mechanistic physical realm. There is spiritual healing. Life is not a serious of dramatic events in which problems are just solved "on tap", but God may work slowly to bring the person along with Him, and deal with other issues alongside the physical healing.

Of course, I anticipate the predictable mockery of this idea: what kind of God would string out the suffering of a cancer patient etc etc...? The only answer I can give to that is: ask the person who is suffering. Only that person has the right to pass judgment on God (if anyone ever has any such right anyway).

I certainly believe that God worked through a process to solve my heart problem. I admit I sometimes get mad at God over certain things (much to my shame), but I have never felt the slightest anger or frustration over that issue. Therefore I, personally, am very comfortable with this understanding of divine healing.

[ 10. March 2014, 19:41: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

Posted by Ramarius (# 16551) on :

quote:
quote:

But that's exactly what it means. To say that something can't be explained is to say it's inexplicable.

Now you could say that the fact science can't currently explain something is not to say science will never explain it. But by the same token you would also have to say it's possible that science could exhaust every other possibility other than that an event has a divine cause.

Either way it's not a very smart argument.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramarius:
But that's exactly what it means. To say that something can't be explained is to say it's inexplicable.

Well unfortunately this is a limitation of language. Things happen all the time that cannot easily be explained by science. For example weather patterns are monitored by massive computers, but even they cannot explain every single weather pattern on the planet.

Hence the thing can be both inexplicable whilst at the same time explainable by science.

In this case, a complicated medical situation might well be the result of many different factors, so the pinning down the reason why this thing happened at this particular time to this particular person is a very hard thing to do. But that isn't the same as saying that there is no scientific explanation.

quote:
Now you could say that the fact science can't currently explain something is not to say science will never explain it. But by the same token you would also have to say it's possible that science could exhaust every other possibility other than that an event has a divine cause.
That isn't what I am saying. There are plenty of phenomena which are understood but hard to understand in individual circumstances. An inability to explain adequately a complex situation is not an indication that there is no possible scientific explanation.

quote:
Smart or not, it is the truth.

I thought that there are quite a lot of spontaneous remissions of cancer, although also they seem to vary according to type of cancer. Off the top of my head, one of the most likely to get better with no treatment, is breast cancer.

I guess plenty of women to whom this happens, don't think it's a miracle. Why would they?

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

I like, Stercus Tauri. I know of no other and never will.

quote:
quote:

Well unfortunately this is a limitation of language. Things happen all the time that cannot easily be explained by science. For example weather patterns are monitored by massive computers, but even they cannot explain every single weather pattern on the planet.

Hence the thing can be both inexplicable whilst at the same time explainable by science.

In this case, a complicated medical situation might well be the result of many different factors, so the pinning down the reason why this thing happened at this particular time to this particular person is a very hard thing to do. But that isn't the same as saying that there is no scientific explanation.

quote:
That isn't what I am saying. There are plenty of phenomena which are understood but hard to understand in individual circumstances. An inability to explain adequately a complex situation is not an indication that there is no possible scientific explanation.

quote:
Smart or not, it is the truth.

Really? The material universe is all there is and scientific discoveries will never be able determine anything else? That's a statement of faith.

quote:
Firstly, I don't recall saying that instantaneous healing was superior (vastly or otherwise) to a healing process involving medical intervention.

According to the evidence, 'instantaneous' healing is non-existent. You have yet to provide a single positive example. It's quite one thing to believe in something that is neither provable or unprovable (the existence of God, for example), but quite another to insist on believing in something that is demonstrably untrue and which is easily debunked. Doctors and other researchers have been following evangelical healers for about half a century now and despite the millions of claims of miraculous healings, the number of cases to which no other explanation other than miracle/prayer could be attributed is precisely zero. There are plenty of scientists waiting to cooperate with you; just show them your miracle healers, that's all it takes. In fact, if you go to the James Randi Foundation, they'll give your $1M (USD) if you can prove your case. That could really help a lot of people. So if your healers are the real deal, now is your chance to prove it!

[code]

[ 10. March 2014, 20:19: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I thought that there are quite a lot of spontaneous remissions of cancer, although also they seem to vary according to type of cancer. Off the top of my head, one of the most likely to get better with no treatment, is breast cancer.

I guess plenty of women to whom this happens, don't think it's a miracle. Why would they?

Still doesn't rule out the possibility of divine intervention. The biggest problem with any research on healing is that it's impossible to get a pure control group. You never know who might be praying for you.

quote:
quote:

Firstly, I don't recall saying that instantaneous healing was superior (vastly or otherwise) to a healing process involving medical intervention. So you are putting words in my mouth there.
Actually that's my own assessment. Medical care is usually invasive, often undignified, frequently comes with a risk of secondary infection, and (if the condition treated was serious) typically requires a lengthy period of recovery. Compared with being returned to full health in the blink of an eye, as is often described in miracle stories and you implied with the use of the word "instantaneously", medical intervention seems like a second-best option.

quote:
Secondly, there could be many reasons why God works through a process rather than instantaneously. Unlike atheists, Christians believe that there is more to life than the merely mechanistic physical realm. There is spiritual healing. Life is not a serious of dramatic events in which problems are just solved "on tap", but God may work slowly to bring the person along with Him, and deal with other issues alongside the physical healing.

Once again I'm drawn back to the question of Faith Tabernacle Congregation. Doesn't the argument that "there is more to life than the merely mechanistic physical realm. There is spiritual healing" apply to them? Or does spiritual healing only work if it's coupled with physical medicine?

"Dear God, please heal my sick family member in a way that is indistinguishable from the workings of modern medicine. Amen."

Croesos -

You can talk about Faith Tabernacle Congregation as much as you like, but it has nothing to do with me or my views.

I've already explained my position, so I am not going to repeat myself to someone who insists that I embrace a view of divine healing, which I actually reject.

quote:
quote:

Still doesn't rule out the possibility of divine intervention. The biggest problem with any research on healing is that it's impossible to get a pure control group. You never know who might be praying for you.
But why would divine intervention work particularly with breast cancer, and not, say, with lung cancer? Does God favour one over the other?

quote:

Assuming that prayer is the driving mechanism, which makes sense only if you believe either that God doesn't know you're sick or injured unless you tell him, or that He does know but will refuse to heal you unless you beg for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Komensky
According to the evidence, 'instantaneous' healing is non-existent. You have yet to provide a single positive example. It's quite one thing to believe in something that is neither provable or unprovable (the existence of God, for example), but quite another to insist on believing in something that is demonstrably untrue and which is easily debunked. Doctors and other researchers have been following evangelical healers for about half a century now and despite the millions of claims of miraculous healings, the number of cases to which no other explanation other than miracle/prayer could be attributed is precisely zero. There are plenty of scientists waiting to cooperate with you; just show them your miracle healers, that's all it takes. In fact, if you go to the James Randi Foundation, they'll give your $1M (USD) if you can prove your case. That could really help a lot of people. So if your healers are the real deal, now is your chance to prove it!

So bib earlier in the thread is lying then?

Oh wait...! That doesn't count. Spontaneous remission!

The truth is that no philosophical naturalist will a priori accept an explanation for any phenomenon which contradicts his philosophy. Any event which may appear to do so, and which he cannot explain, will simply be filed in the category of "we don't yet know" or some fancy phrase will be invented to make it appear as though science has a handle on it (such as "spontaneous remission").

This is why most believers frankly couldn't give a s**t what a bunch of atheists and sceptics say. You believe what you want to, and we'll stick to our explanation. And what James Randi thinks is irrelevant, because God is not a service which can be turned on as a tap, and is subject to laboratory scrutiny. What incredible arrogance to think that He could be!

I thank God for His gift of faith in the utter absence of medical miracles for me. There are none in anybody else's life for me outside the New Testament or in mine of course.

Unless one counts improvement of ones thinking and feeling as medical (if you think this is bad!).

Which in my case is due to
God's provision:
time healing,
therapy; including
an improving Christian narrative
..born of His Spirit being poured out on all flesh (and where the world, the flesh and the Spirit begin and end I haven't the faintest idea)
....unless there is no God in which case I'm relatively happily deluded and hope to die so.

quote:
The truth is that no philosophical naturalist will a priori accept an explanation for any phenomenon which contradicts his philosophy. Any event which may appear to do so, and which he cannot explain, will simply be filed in the category of "we don't yet know" or some fancy phrase will be invented to make it appear as though science has a handle on it (such as "spontaneous remission").

This is why most believers frankly couldn't give a s**t what a bunch of atheists and sceptics say. You believe what you want to, and we'll stick to our explanation.

I'm pretty sure the exact same rant could be used by someone to explain why their kids don't need to be vaccinated; because Jesus will keep them safe and a bunch of atheists and skeptics don't know anything. You're using the same argument to draw slightly different boundaries.

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

Assuming that prayer is the driving mechanism, which makes sense only if you believe either that God doesn't know you're sick or injured unless you tell him, or that He does know but will refuse to heal you unless you beg for it.
I get the hope. I don't get the illogical thinking. Belief, expectation and a nonspecific psychotherapeutic effect may well provide for the body to help heal itself by positive effects on immune functioning, about which there is research on heart disease, some cancers, HIV and various forms of auto-immune diseases.

God supports, doesn't care if you live or die, only wants to perfect you sayeth CS Lewis when he writes Screwtape. I wish I'd paid more attention when it mattered to this, would have disreagrding the hopeful nonsense of few silly priests and well meaning pray-ers, and saved much anguish.

No-one should ever pray for a miracle. No-one should interpret a medical or other 'cure' as divine intervention. These things are more dangerous than we can know, and can cause incredible damage. Pray for strength and support. Ask for peace. Ask that you may accept what the cup holds, drink and try not to drop it.

No one here is an atheist or sceptic. No one doubts at all. We know. Some know more analytically than experientially and vice versa. It doesn't matter. It can't be helped. We must all bear with the weak.

quote:
So bib earlier in the thread is lying then?

Oh wait...! That doesn't count. Spontaneous remission!

It isn't a 'fancy phrase', it is a known phenomena that some people seem to randomly get better, that unexpected natural events happen, that there are things which are such a mix of (fairly simple) natural causes as to be effectively chaotic.

It would be nice - nay, wonderful - if Christianity had magic powers whereby Christians never got sick, where the dead were raised, where healing was doled out in proportion to faith.. and so on.

Everyone knows it doesn't happen like that.

So we're left with a choice - either we believe (with a 'leap of faith') that some strange phenomena are divine in origin, that for some inexplicable reason God does not seem to offer miraculous happenings to everyon... or that all (or most of) these miraculous events have naturalistic scientific explanations.

Given that you don't want to believe that faith requires a 'leap of faith' of this kind, you are left trying to argue that the naturalistic scientific explanation is less likely than the divine one - and getting rather angry with anyone who happens to believe that the God who heals randomly is barely worth believing in.

quote:
This is why most believers frankly couldn't give a s**t what a bunch of atheists and sceptics say. You believe what you want to, and we'll stick to our explanation. And what James Randi thinks is irrelevant, because God is not a service which can be turned on as a tap, and is subject to laboratory scrutiny. What incredible arrogance to think that He could be!
What an incredibly arrogant thing to say by someone who has spent so long arguing that Christian faith is objective, that Christian truths can be reasoned, that the bible history can be proven and so on.

Funny how the faith is able to be interrogated by science and reason when it suits your purposes, but totally impervious to scientific investigation (and more than that - an actual offense against God!) when someone has an explanation you don't happen to like.

Pathetic.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Miracles are in the eye of the beholder, just like beauty.

I can't convince you that something is a miracle any more than I can convince you something is beautiful.

I no longer believe in healing miracles from prayer, even 'tho I have seen many of them happen before my eyes. Each one I saw could have been the body healing itself due to the heightened atmosphere of expectation and hope.

But the joy and thankfulness they engender is similar to that of a beautiful sunset - so who are we to put them down if they are doing no harm?

But medicine and placebos are still very much in their infancy. Our minds are so very much connected to our bodies. So the unexplained happens all the time. That doen't mean it has supernatural origins, just that it's super natural (as in 'natural processes are still way beyond medicine to really understand')

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Miracles are in the eye of the beholder, just like beauty.

Indeed. In many places today, the idea that one could turn on a tap and receive reliable water would be a miracle. It is really less miraculous to know the process by which water is purified to get to the tap?

quote:
I can't convince you that something is a miracle any more than I can convince you something is beautiful.
I agree, it is an act - a leap - of faith.

quote:
I no longer believe in healing miracles from prayer, even 'tho I have seen many of them happen before my eyes. Each one I saw could have been the body healing itself due to the heightened atmosphere of expectation and hope.
I don't either. My problem is not with the idea of a deity who acts within or without naturalistic scientific explanations of the world, but in the idea that he is fickle enough to act only on the petitions of people.

quote:
But the joy and thankfulness they engender is similar to that of a beautiful sunset - so who are we to put them down if they are doing no harm?
Oh in one sense there is nothing to be gained in 'putting them down', I totally agree. If you have a worldview within which inexplicible events are interpreted, and that leads to wholeness and mental stability, of course there is something positive to be seen in that.

Deep down, though, there is something troubling about it as well. One might believe that homeopathy 'just works', one might have all kinds of explanations as to why it works and all kinds of evidences you take as proof. The danger there, as here with divine healing, is the direction where that sort of thinking takes you/one.

But God seems to be super-fickle, doesn't he? If he acted on petitions, that would be fine; but sometimes he does, sometimes not. Does he also act without petition? Perhaps sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't.

I do find it all quite weird, and sort of tawdry. Also it screams God of the gaps, doesn't it?

quote:
But God seems to be super-fickle, doesn't he? If he acted on petitions, that would be fine; but sometimes he does, sometimes not. Does he also act without petition? Perhaps sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't.

I do find it all quite weird, and sort of tawdry. Also it screams God of the gaps, doesn't it?

Might need to unpack this a bit Q. If God simply answered answered prayer when there were enough people involved and who prayed long enough then we end up with a Being who is little more than a supernatural slot machine. Prayer in miracle out. Whether or not God ever acts without petition is a moot point. Personally I don't think he does, but as I said above you wouldn't necessarily ever know who was petitioning.

God of the gaps is a fair description if someone says "I"ve no idea why this happened - it must be God." Clearly if someone has been healed after prayer then there is a factor to take into account. Where someone recovers health for no apparent reason I'd say that God may have been involved directly (someone may have been praying).

And then there's a discussion about how God acts through natural processes, but tea-break's over so I'll have to leave that one.

Have a healthy and prosperous day...

Ramarius

That's all so iffy, that it's like supposition piled on supposition, until you have a tottering citadel.

I suppose you are guaranteed a kind of success, for if God does not heal in answer to petition, then you can say that God can say no; if God does heal, then he says yes; if there is no petition, then maybe yes or no. Heads you win, tails you don't lose. Brill.

quote:
I'm pretty sure the exact same rant could be used by someone to explain why their kids don't need to be vaccinated; because Jesus will keep them safe and a bunch of atheists and skeptics don't know anything. You're using the same argument to draw slightly different boundaries.

Anyone can use the argument that they don't give a s**t about what their detractors say. I am sure most atheists couldn't care less what most believers think about atheism. I am sure most Socialists couldn't care less what most conservatives think about their ideology.

The fact is that I do not need to seek the permission of atheists and sceptics in order to recognise the work of God in my life, or perhaps also in other people's lives. Are you saying that I should? Are you saying that I am only allowed to believe in God if I contact someone like Richard Dawkins and ask his permission to do so?

And if I say that I don't need to do such a thing, is it really logically coherent to say: "Oh well, you really ought to, because think of all those fanatical Christians who refuse medical treatment for their children."??

For the billionth time... w.a.t.c.h. m.y. l.i.p.s.: I have nothing to do with Christians who reject medicine. Why you keep dragging up a ridiculous straw man argument is beyond me, quite frankly. I can only assume you have no better response, and therefore you have to keep resorting to a logical fallacy to make your point.

quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare
What an incredibly arrogant thing to say by someone who has spent so long arguing that Christian faith is objective, that Christian truths can be reasoned, that the bible history can be proven and so on.

Funny how the faith is able to be interrogated by science and reason when it suits your purposes, but totally impervious to scientific investigation (and more than that - an actual offense against God!) when someone has an explanation you don't happen to like.

Pathetic.

Oh dear.

So pydseybare thinks that all atheists and sceptics are paragons of scientific objectivity.

And you have the nerve to criticise me for saying that we should ignore people who are clearly prejudiced against Christianity.

Maybe you need to ask Richard Dawkins' permission to believe in God.

I don't. And that is all basically I was saying. And I think that that was what daronmedway is saying (although he can speak for himself).

Do carry on seeing what you want to see, and running away from evidence. [Disappointed]

It seems remarkable that someone who bases his spiritual views on what he feels (apparently via the Holy Spirit), should then criticise someone who recognises the work of God in healing, despite what atheists and sceptics might say. This is yet more evidence to me that your claim to hear from God through the Holy Spirit is, at best, highly questionable (and, at worst, something that I can only express on the hell board), because if it were genuine you would be able to appreciate other Christians using YOUR METHOD to discern God's activity.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare

Pathetic.

Oh dear.

So pydseybare thinks that all atheists and sceptics are paragons of scientific objectivity.

I have never thought, nor said that. In fact I have actually said the exact opposite.

quote:
And you have the nerve to criticise me for saying that we should ignore people who are clearly prejudiced against Christianity.
Have I?

quote:
Maybe you need to ask Richard Dawkins' permission to believe in God.
Nope, actually I don't need Dawkin's permission to do anything.

quote:
I don't. And that is all basically I was saying. And I think that that was what daronmedway is saying (although he can speak for himself).
No, actually you are saying that unknown inexplicable phenomena that happen to Christians can only be miraculous. I'm saying that there might be other explanations, which you seem to think is being offensive to God.

quote:
Do carry on seeing what you want to see, and running away from evidence. [Disappointed]
What evidence?

A person seeing a Darren Brown trick might think that they've seen something miraculous, but I take it that you agree that it is actually just a trick (slight of hand, memory, mind game etc).

In fact, someone believing that a phenomena happening to them is from a deity is not evidence.

quote:
It seems remarkable that someone who bases his spiritual views on what he feels (apparently via the Holy Spirit), should then criticise someone who recognises the work of God in healing, despite what atheists and sceptics might say. This is yet more evidence to me that your claim to hear from God through the Holy Spirit is, at best, highly questionable (and, at worst, something that I can only express on the hell board), because if it were genuine you would be able to appreciate other Christians using YOUR METHOD to discern God's activity.
Quite right. I discern that God's activity is not in this thought of yours.

Posted by Merchant Trader (# 9007) on :

In Ayurveda medicine, Philosophy and medicine have always gone hand-in-hand; illness is not just physical manifestations, but psychological as well. A good reminder that in many traditions, not just Christian, it is recognised that the state of the mind, body and spirit are interdependent: one becoming sick can affect the others, one being cured can likewise affect the others.

Prayer and healing can help the cure and in some cases be enough to cure the whole person. Medical treatment can cure the body and facilitate cure of mind and spirit. We don't need to choose between medicine or miracles but we need both. It isn't total cure or no cure but usually small or significant improvement. Symptoms may disappear, life may be prolonged, psychological damage may be repaired, suffering may be assuaged. All good.

But as we grow old, our powers will diminish and at the end our earthly bodies will die, which does not argue against our eternal hope.

In my life, I have experienced healing for myself and others. My mother turned down surgery but survived her cancer for over 20 years due to prayer, new diet and experimental drugs. At the end of the day she died. We are thankful extra years of life she was given and I still believe all three of the above were important. There is, of course, no possible control experiment.

I have this week off to recover from a small medical Op which is hoped will improve my breathing, make me less prone to infections and help the quality of life as I get older. I still need prayer. I still need meditation, yoga, Pilates and the gym. I still need to take care of body, mind and spirit using all the resources God gives us.

I believe in miracles and especially in prayer. But I don't want to be like the drowning man who preferred to reply on God than let the rescue services save him: when he drown he complained that he had been let down but God said that he had sent him a plank of wood, a lifeboat and a helicopter, what more did he want?

Medicine/Science v Miracles/Prayer -no is not either/or but something more holistic.

quote:
Originally by pydseybare

You are entitled to your opinion.

Thankfully God regards it as irrelevant in His dealings with me.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

Here's something it occurs to me to chuck into the thread at this point. It's a case study that I think some contributors to the thread might want to work through. What follows isn't my story, it was told by Peter Speck, a hospital chaplain, in one of his books of which the name escapes me.

You're a hospital chaplain. You're called to the Emergency Department where a girl has been admitted with life-threatening injuries. On arrival, you're shown into a room with the girl's parents. The father - a large bloke - backs you into a corner and yells, "Look, mate - I want a miracle and I want it NOW!!"

Over to you.

(That's Peter Speck's story. I use it because it's in the public domain. But every hospital chaplain has one. Often more than one.)

Presumably the father is too scared to back God into a corner, so has to pick on the poor old chaplain instead?

Unless, of course, he thinks the chaplain actually is God?

Hmmm....

quote:
Ramarius

That's all so iffy, that it's like supposition piled on supposition, until you have a tottering citadel.

I suppose you are guaranteed a kind of success, for if God does not heal in answer to petition, then you can say that God can say no; if God does heal, then he says yes; if there is no petition, then maybe yes or no. Heads you win, tails you don't lose. Brill.

Which bit? Where you have an effect with no known cause then possibilities are all you have to work with.

On God answering prayer we need to take account that God is a free rational Being in his own right.

By the way, the idea that because God doesn't answer every prayer you should conclude he doesn't answer any of them just doesn't follow. If you've prayed for someone and their health has improved - and in the cases shared on this thread significantly and dramatically - then it's reasonable to conclude that prayer has been a factor in the improvement.

quote:
My problem is not with the idea of a deity who acts within or without naturalistic scientific explanations of the world, but in the idea that he is fickle enough to act only on the petitions of people.

I don't think God does act on the petitions of people. It can't be 'some, maybe' in my view. I don't think God gives us things or answers to prayer. I think God gives us everything - nothing would exist without God imo. And I think God gives us Himself (love, peace, joy etc).

So when someone says they will pray for me I am glad - it means they care and that they are thinking of me. This helps as it makes me feel good. So when I say I'll pray for someone, that's what I mean - that they will feel that God is with them and that I care enough to think about them.

I no longer believe God specifically changes the way things are in answer to prayer, either subtly or suddenly.

What changed that view? Age and experience, I think. And many past days spent in fervent, believing, truly faithful prayer - only to see things get worse on every level!

[ 11. March 2014, 11:59: Message edited by: Boogie ]

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Here's something it occurs to me to chuck into the thread at this point. It's a case study that I think some contributors to the thread might want to work through. What follows isn't my story, it was told by Peter Speck, a hospital chaplain, in one of his books of which the name escapes me.

You're a hospital chaplain. You're called to the Emergency Department where a girl has been admitted with life-threatening injuries. On arrival, you're shown into a room with the girl's parents. The father - a large bloke - backs you into a corner and yells, "Look, mate - I want a miracle and I want it NOW!!"

Over to you.

"Tell me, why do you want a miracle?"

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

As someone who has been in pretty much the situation described, I can tell you that is not the right answer right there.

quote:
The fact is that I do not need to seek the permission of atheists and sceptics in order to recognise the work of God in my life, or perhaps also in other people's lives. Are you saying that I should? Are you saying that I am only allowed to believe in God if I contact someone like Richard Dawkins and ask his permission to do so?

And if I say that I don't need to do such a thing, is it really logically coherent to say: "Oh well, you really ought to, because think of all those fanatical Christians who refuse medical treatment for their children."??

For the billionth time... w.a.t.c.h. m.y. l.i.p.s.: I have nothing to do with Christians who reject medicine. Why you keep dragging up a ridiculous straw man argument is beyond me, quite frankly. I can only assume you have no better response, and therefore you have to keep resorting to a logical fallacy to make your point.

I keep bringing it up because you're not making an argument, you're asserting privilege. Your argument boils down to the idea that you can recognize the working of God in your life, but those other people need someone (presumably you) to point out to them that God's not really acting in their lives, despite their thinking that He is.

quote:

Luckily for pydseybare, God's Special Prophet EE was on hand to let her(?) know that her divine revelation is wrong because it disagrees with his divine revelation.

quote:
quote:
Originally by pydseybare

You are entitled to your opinion.

Thankfully God regards it as irrelevant in His dealings with me.

It must be convenient to be God's personal favorite, especially since the Almighty Creator of the Universe always agrees with you.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
As someone who has been in pretty much the situation described, I can tell you that is not the right answer right there.

There is no right answer. That's the point.

However, when our youngest son was 1 he went into febrile convulsions while in the back of an ambulance. It was very frightening. At that time I didn't know that while such convulsions may be frightening, most are harmless and don't pose a threat to a child’s health.

My reaction however was a visceral one word prayer, "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus." And I'm not ashamed of that one little bit.

I also got right out of the paramedics way as well.

[ 11. March 2014, 13:32: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

Well yes, it's like the old adage about there being no atheists in a life boat ...

I managed a one word prayer as I was driving a car which ran up a crash barrier on the M62 and rolled over onto its roof as the caravan I was towing began wobbling so much that it drove me off the road ...

That one word was, 'Jesus ...'

And it wasn't used as an expletive either.

We'll most of us - whatever our theology - have done what Daronmedway did in his extremity on that occasion.

quote:
quote:

So why did you suggest one?

Actually there are all sorts of right answers in Speck's case study, but they all start off with "You have to be there...".

My point, really, is that whatever theologising you come up with on this subject has, somehow, to have some resonance with that father in that room at that time. Otherwise it's just angels dancing on the head of a pin.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Because if there'e no right answer you can't really insist that my answer isn't the right answer as if I'd somehow missed something. As it stands I probably would ask that question though. Perhaps you could explain why you think it isn't the right answer.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Because if there'e no right answer you can't really insist that my answer isn't the right answer as if I'd somehow missed something. As it stands I probably would ask that question though. Perhaps you could explain why you think it isn't the right answer.
If you and Eutychus will pardon my butting in, I'd suggest that you're at the very least inviting the response that it's bleedin' obvious why he wants a miracle.

Sometimes Jesus asked people to state "the bleedin' obvious". I think he did it out of love, not bloody mindedness or pastoral insensitivity. As if getting a person to articulate their desire is a good thing in and of itself.

[ 11. March 2014, 14:41: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

quote:

As far as I'm concerned, to ask a question like that in a context like that is mind-bogglingly dumb and insensitive because

a) you are not Jesus and therefore not in any position to grant one if asked

b) this is a crisis situation in which people want empathy, support and basic coping resources, not one in which to start some kind of theological debate or engage in moral one-upmanship.

In my situation the four-year-old was barely alive (having choked on her own vomit) when the distraught father, a friend, asked me if it was permissible to pray along those lines. As I recall I said something to the effect that prayer was not a guarantee of a specific result, and blurted out something non-committal in prayer about the daughter's life being in God's hands for him to do as he saw fit. She was confirmed dead not long after.

Two years later I was in the same hospital with the same man alongside the body of his wife, who died unexpectedly following post-op complications after routine surgery. I'm pretty sure we prayed again, but it was not to order a miracle of resurrection.

[x-post, but I think point a) applies to what has been posted in the meantime]

[ 11. March 2014, 14:49: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

"Look, mate - I want a miracle and I want it NOW!!"

If someone said this to me, and to be fair that's pretty unlikely, I could only honestly say that such things were not mine to give - but that I really wanted it too.

Sadly we don't seem to live in New Testament times.

quote:
quote:

As far as I'm concerned, to ask a question like that in a context like that is mind-bogglingly dumb and insensitive because

a) you are not Jesus and therefore not in any position to grant one if asked

The Apostle Peter wasn't Jesus and he, apparently, was able to bring healing on at least one occasion, so it would seem that your argument isn't entirely sound.

quote:
The Apostle Peter wasn't Jesus and he, apparently, was able to bring healing on at least one occasion, so it would seem that your argument isn't entirely sound.

This is kinda the point I was making above. The NT does seem to suggest that believers will be able to do this kind of stuff (in fact, even greater stuff than Jesus Christ himself did, whatever that means).

quote:

Which particular passage in which Peter asked why the forthcoming beneficiary wanted a miracle did you have in mind?

To be absolutely clear, my original question was not about one's ability to heal, my question was about the appropriateness of your suggested answer in the situation Adeodatus describes.

[ 11. March 2014, 15:39: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

quote:
quote:

This is kinda the point I was making above. The NT does seem to suggest that believers will be able to do this kind of stuff (in fact, even greater stuff than Jesus Christ himself did, whatever that means).
That depends on how you read the NT. The "greater things" passage has been hotly debated, here and elsewhere, but for my money "greater things" only means "bigger miracles" if you think the miracles are an end in themselves, which I don't.

quote:
quote:

Which particular passage in which Peter asked why the forthcoming beneficiary wanted a miracle did you have in mind?
You seem to be applying some species of the regulative principle to the gift of healing here Eutychus. Are you suggesting that the question I suggested is off limits because it's not specifically commanded in scripture? If that's the suggestion, I have to say that I'm more of a normative guy on this issue.

quote:
To be absolutely clear, my original question was not about one's ability to heal, my question was about the appropriateness of your suggested answer in the situation Adeodatus describes.

That's fine, but it brings us back to square one; a simple difference of opinion. As I said before, unless you're applying some form of principled prohibition to the question, "why do you want a miracle", I fail to see why you object to it so strongly. Horses for courses.

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

If someone tells you they prayed to an idol in the form of a large rock in their backyard and it cured their cancer/warts/limp would you believe them?

They have the right to do so, but I'm not going to believe in supernatural intervention.

quote:
As I said before, unless you're applying some form of principled prohibition to the question, "why do you want a miracle", I fail to see why you object to it so strongly. Horses for courses.

No need for a principled prohibition. It's a thick question. It's bloody obvious why he wants a miracle!

quote:
I keep bringing it up because you're not making an argument, you're asserting privilege. Your argument boils down to the idea that you can recognize the working of God in your life, but those other people need someone (presumably you) to point out to them that God's not really acting in their lives, despite their thinking that He is.

What a completely illogical and ridiculous comment.

What you are in effect saying, is that I have to accept all views of God as being equally valid. So if someone tells me that he is convinced that God has told him to martyr himself as a suicide bomber, then I am not allowed to consider that he is wrong? Otherwise I would be guilty of "asserting privilege"!

Not only do I believe that the people you referred to are wrong, but I have already given my reasons for thinking that.

By the way, you are not allowed to think that I am wrong in holding this view, otherwise you are asserting privilege!!

Works both ways, mate.

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
If someone tells you they prayed to an idol in the form of a large rock in their backyard and it cured their cancer/warts/limp would you believe them?

They have the right to do so, but I'm not going to believe in supernatural intervention.

Well, there are an infinite number of possibilities - maybe invisible pixies are busy helping my immune system right now. It can't be ruled out! The trouble is, there are no constraints on this stuff, once you cite the supernatural.

quote:
quote:
As I said before, unless you're applying some form of principled prohibition to the question, "why do you want a miracle", I fail to see why you object to it so strongly. Horses for courses.

No need for a principled prohibition. It's a thick question. It's bloody obvious why he wants a miracle!
Is it?

quote:

My principled objection is that it is utterly inappropriate to the circumstances described and would have been utterly inappropriate in similar, real life situations I have experienced.

This would be a purely speculative disagreement were it not for the fact that you said
quote:
I probably would ask that question though
To put in mildly, I'm flabbergasted that you would apparently consider that as your first option in the circumstances described, particularly given your pastoral responsibilities.

If you choose to dismiss that as a mere "difference of opinion", then fine, but I have to say I hope I don't ever fall within the remit of those responsibilities.

quote:
quote:

If you choose to dismiss that as a mere "difference of opinion", then fine, but I have to say I hope I don't ever fall within the remit of those responsibilities.
Well, at least we agree on something. [Razz]

quote:
quote:
quote:

Is it?
Yes.

He's desperate, he wants his girl to live.

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl
Well, there are an infinite number of possibilities - maybe invisible pixies are busy helping my immune system right now. It can't be ruled out! The trouble is, there are no constraints on this stuff, once you cite the supernatural.

Actually there are constraints, dependent on the context.

Let us assume, for the sake of argument, that the accounts of healing in the gospels are true (I certainly believe they are). So Jesus stretches forth his hand and heals a crippled man, who then gets up and walks. It is obvious from the context that the healing has involved the supernatural agency connected with Jesus Christ. Therefore, the context acts as a constraint to enable us to discern causation.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is it?
Yes.

He's desperate, he wants his girl to live.

That's as maybe, but he also seems angry and wilfully intimidating. Desperate sounds like Jairus. This fella doesn't sound like a Jairus to me. He sounds like a bully. A bully in need of miracle, but a bully nonetheless.

quote:
That's as maybe, but he also seems angry and wilfully intimidating. Desperate sounds like Jairus. This fella doesn't sound like a Jairus to me. He sounds like a bully. A bully in need of miracle, but a bully nonetheless.

Really. You really think you can tell the difference between a story of someone talking more than 2000 years ago in a completely different language and someone reported in a single sentence on a bulletin board in English.

[Ultra confused]

quote:
Actually there are constraints, dependent on the context.

Let us assume, for the sake of argument, that the accounts of healing in the gospels are true (I certainly believe they are). So Jesus stretches forth his hand and heals a crippled man, who then gets up and walks. It is obvious from the context that the healing has involved the supernatural agency connected with Jesus Christ. Therefore, the context acts as a constraint to enable us to discern causation.

Okay, that would seems to mean touching the body of the physical man Jesus or Jesus' presence in some way is required. Does this mean that when healing does not happen, we have not prayed well enough to merit Jesus' presence? Its all very well to heal this one and ignore another one. Or perhaps the point of the miracle stories is to impress the reader. Which I think is the context in actuality.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet
Okay, that would seems to mean touching the body of the physical man Jesus or Jesus' presence in some way is required. Does this mean that when healing does not happen, we have not prayed well enough to merit Jesus' presence? Its all very well to heal this one and ignore another one. Or perhaps the point of the miracle stories is to impress the reader. Which I think is the context in actuality.

I am not sure whether you are saying that you think the miracle stories were just fabricated, but the point I am making is that there are situations (true or fictional) in which we can see the operation of a constraint, that allows us to identify a particular supernatural source for a miracle such as a healing.

As for whether a candidate for healing needs the presence of Jesus: yes, I think that is the case, although I would hesitate to use the phrase "merit Jesus' presence". We come into the presence of God / Christ by grace.

quote:
quote:

Really. You really think you can tell the difference between a story of someone talking more than 2000 years ago in a completely different language and someone reported in a single sentence on a bulletin board in English.

[Ultra confused]

Yes.

quote:
Yes.

How, exactly, can you tell that the record in the NT was not of exactly the same kind of desperation and anger?

Posted by Gracie (# 3870) on :

quote:
Sometimes Jesus asked people to state "the bleedin' obvious". I think he did it out of love, not bloody mindedness or pastoral insensitivity. As if getting a person to articulate their desire is a good thing in and of itself.

As far as I can remember Jesus asked people what they wanted him to do - not why they wanted it. The guy in the anecdote had stated clearly what he wanted... so asking him why he wanted it would not be following Jesus' example.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Okay, that would seems to mean touching the body of the physical man Jesus or Jesus' presence in some way is required.

Not always. See Luke 7:1-10.

Moo

There's nothing wrong with asking why someone wants something. And I don't believe that it would be wrong to ask this question in these circumstances. As I said before, sometimes helping someone to state the unsaid can actually be quite helpful, even in stressful situations.

Wouldn't you say, Daronmedway, that a lot depended on the way the guy asked the question?

Someone in that situation is unlikely to be calm and rationale.

Quite frankly, if someone were in a high state of anxiety and you gave them an answer like that then I'd fully expect you to be grabbed by the throat, punched or physically assaulted in some way - or at least sworn at.

I can imagine some Shipmates had an angry enough reaction when they read your post containing what could come across as a rather dismissive and pastorally insensitive question.

'Why do I want a miracle?! Because my little girl if fucking dying in the next room you bastard twat!!!'

Does it not occur to you that this the sort of reaction you might get. And bloody well deserve too, if you ask me.

quote:
There's nothing wrong with asking why someone wants something. And I don't believe that it would be wrong to ask this question in these circumstances. As I said before, sometimes helping someone to state the unsaid can actually be quite helpful, even in stressful situations.

There's a time and a place for everything. And the time and place to discuss this is Hell.

daronmedway -

I think there is some justification for your concern. Even with an obvious healing, we should never make assumptions.

Jesus never just assumed and stormed in.

Consider the story of blind Bartimaeus (Mark 10).

quote:
Now they came to Jericho. As He went out of Jericho with His disciples and a great multitude, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the road begging. And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”

Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”

So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called.

Then they called the blind man, saying to him, “Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you.”

And throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus.

So Jesus answered and said to him, “What do you want Me to do for you?”

The blind man said to Him, “Rabboni, that I may receive my sight.”

Then Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road.

Now would you not think that Jesus' question to Bartimaeus was just stupid and insensitive? Isn't it obvious what the poor bloke wants and needs?

I have sometimes been very moved by this story, precisely because of the use of this question. So often people think they know what others want, but Jesus takes the time to actually find out - even when it's obvious. This is an example of deep respect for another person's dignity, instead of just regarding him as nothing more than a "healing project", and then swooping in without invitation.

The patronising attitude of "I know what's best for you" is not Christlike.

[ 11. March 2014, 21:21: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

quote:
The patronising attitude of "I know what's best for you" is not Christlike.

As has been pointed out, the question daronmedway suggested was not "what do you want", which I agree can in some circumstances be a very useful one, but "why do you want a miracle", in a specific, crisis scenario. They are not the same question, and they are not the same circumstances.

My answer would be 'Me too.' at most I hope. Or better yet, I would give God's answer, which He always gives to all our petitions: a nod, a pursed lipped smile, full eye contact, my full attention, my complete and utter helplessness, my ignorance, my shame, my solidarity, my apology, my complete acceptance of being reviled for daring to exist and represent hopeless hope.

EE, bless your enemies by refusing to have any. Or something else is at the door.

Your pattern reminds me of mine.

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

It is wrong to judge someone as a bully for an aggressive reaction when their daughter's life may be ebbing away. The loss of control and imminent bereavement doesn't bring out the best in anyone.

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
It is wrong to judge someone as a bully for an aggressive reaction when their daughter's life may be ebbing away. The loss of control and imminent bereavement doesn't bring out the best in anyone.

Well said - a one off incident doesn't make a bully, especially in conditions of extreme stress.

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Wouldn't you say, Daronmedway, that a lot depended on the way the guy asked the question?

Someone in that situation is unlikely to be calm and rationale.

Quite frankly, if someone were in a high state of anxiety and you gave them an answer like that then I'd fully expect you to be grabbed by the throat, punched or physically assaulted in some way - or at least sworn at.

I can imagine some Shipmates had an angry enough reaction when they read your post containing what could come across as a rather dismissive and pastorally insensitive question.

'Why do I want a miracle?! Because my little girl if fucking dying in the next room you bastard twat!!!'

Does it not occur to you that this the sort of reaction you might get. And bloody well deserve too, if you ask me.

I guess it's possible that this person might resort to physical violence, as I've already pointed out, the behaviour is already physically intimidating. As for pastoral insensitivity, I'm not convinced that the vicarious ire being expressed here on this thread is entirely justified, or honest. As I've said before, getting a person to express themselves further isn't necessarily a bad thing, even if what they express is anger. As it stands I think the question, "Tell me, why do you want a miracle?" is a reasonable option among a wide variety of possible options.

quote:

The scenario in question doesn't present the father's behaviour as an aggressive reaction to the Chaplain per se. It presents it as an act of aggression toward the chaplain due to conditions of extreme anxiety. But it's an act of aggression nonetheless. That's why hospitals have signs up stating a zero tolerance policy regarding aggression against their staff. Presumably, zero tolerance means no caveats. Not that this is directly related to - or justifies - the question I've posited. It's just an answer to what you've said.

[ 12. March 2014, 07:56: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

quote:
zero tolerance means no caveats

Great, let's have hospital chaplains getting grieving parents reported to security and arrested [Disappointed]

It's impossible to pursue this conversation outside Hell.

quote:
The scenario in question doesn't present the father's behaviour as an aggressive reaction to the Chaplain per se. It presents it as an act of aggression toward the chaplain due to conditions of extreme anxiety. But it's an act of aggression nonetheless. That's why hospitals have signs up stating a zero tolerance policy regarding aggression against their staff. Presumably, zero tolerance means no caveats. Not that this is directly related to - or justifies - the question I've posited. It's just an answer to what you've said.

I can appreciate why anyone who has no experience of this kind of ministry might think that. But this scenario doesn't come under the heading of "zero tolerance". It comes under the heading of "I'm really glad I'm trained in conflict resolution".

quote:

quote:

I don't think it is an answer. Zero tolerance of aggression or not, it's still wrong to judge him as a bully.

Looking back at the OP and the BBC item, the folly of those claiming to raise the dead seems only to be highlighted in the Deadraisers documentary. They go around trying to raise the dead and cannot do it. I've seen this for years in certain charismatic circles—but never with a single shred of proof. In the cases of bona fide loonies like Bill Johnson, they were later revealed as liars on top of it all.

Imagine that someone tells you that they can make cows fly through God's power. You ask to see this happen under some kind of controlled way so that the animals are actually flying, rather than just falling to their deaths or held up by wires. You go do the cliffs near Eastbourne and watch as they push dozens and then hundreds of cows to their deaths. Finally, they push over every single cow in Kent. When they insist that just because these cows are not flying that only the most cynical skeptic of divine power would deny that somewhere, some cows will fly. Perhaps these cows didn't want to fly? They reject the mountain of cow carcasses as any kind of evidence against their belief that through God's power they can make cows fly. This is not a million miles away from the position of faith healers. For them, the light of truth must never be shone on their activities, lest they have to look at the piles of bodies.

K.

Posted by Yorick (# 12169) on :

Belief in miraculous healing makes me deeply sad. It's sad enough that we get ill and die, but even sadder that so many people have genuine and heartbreakingly futile hope in some nonexistent deity answering their desperate appeals.

One can only hope that the comfort provided by religious beliefs outweighs the dreadful sense of disappointment and forsakenness. I suppose it must, generally speaking.

Sending vibes to all who are suffering illness and bereavement.

quote:
quote:
zero tolerance means no caveats

Great, let's have hospital chaplains getting grieving parents reported to security and arrested [Disappointed]

It's impossible to pursue this conversation outside Hell.

Firstly, as I said, "not that this is directly related to - or justifies - the question I've posited. It's just an answer to what [mdijon] said."

Secondly, I've said nothing about reporting anyone. I simply pointed out that hospitals are by their very nature high stress environments and yet they have still have zero tolerance policies regarding the verbal and physical abuse and intimidation of their staff.

This thread is not about hospital policy, and neither is this tangent. It's about transposing the issue of healing into real-life crisis situations.

There are a number of unanswered questions about that which are nothing to do with hospital policy.

(And besides, as Adeodatus has pointed out, while those notices are there as a warning, they are one instrument in an array of resources to cope with patients which also incldues conflict resolution).

There are also some personal issues - such as your allegations of dishonesty in answers - which can only be addressed outside the scope of this thread and which I have taken to Hell, where you have opted not to engage so far.

[ 12. March 2014, 09:37: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

quote:
This thread is not about hospital policy, and neither is this tangent. It's about transposing the issue of healing into real-life crisis situations.

Actually, I think hospital policy is a perfectly legitimate avenue of discussion given the scenario presented by Adeodatus.

quote:
There are a number of unanswered questions about that which are nothing to do with hospital policy.

Ask away.

quote:
Looking back at the OP and the BBC item, the folly of those claiming to raise the dead seems only to be highlighted in the Deadraisers documentary. They go around trying to raise the dead and cannot do it. I've seen this for years in certain charismatic circles—but never with a single shred of proof. In the cases of bona fide loonies like Bill Johnson, they were later revealed as liars on top of it all.

The influence of Bilge Onson among mainstream evangelicals is cause for concern. His peculiar form of low Christology/high pneumatology is dangerous because it attempts to give theological justification for highly unrealistic expectations by denying the uniqueness of Christ's miracles as the God-man. Jesus merely becomes the ideal Spirit-filled person to which we can all aspire, rather the unique Son of God with unique authority.

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick
Belief in miraculous healing makes me deeply sad. It's sad enough that we get ill and die, but even sadder that so many people have genuine and heartbreakingly futile hope in some nonexistent deity answering their desperate appeals.

One can only hope that the comfort provided by religious beliefs outweighs the dreadful sense of disappointment and forsakenness. I suppose it must, generally speaking.

Oh the joys of looking at the world through atheist eyes!

Thankfully not all of us have to carry that terrible burden.

I completely agree with that last post about Bilge Onson, Daronmedway and I do enjoy those bon-mots ... Bent Toddley and so on ... very droll.

However, I don't like being accused of dishonesty when having a natural reaction - in terms of vicarious anger - to what I've taken to be one of your less salutary remarks.

Consequently, whilst agreeing with your last point I am going to continue to goad you in Hell where you have justifiably been called.

Take your punishment like a man ...

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

There are days when I thank God for atheists.

Here's another way of looking at it. If (big "if") there are people whose prayers for healing God listens to and grants - well whoop-de-doo, and let's all have a rousing chorus of When The Saints Go Marching In.

But if you think that's the case, then there's a far, far bigger majority of people - very nearly everybody in fact - to whom God either doesn't listen, or to whom he says "no". Those are my people, the people I spend my days with. Most of them, of course, do the sensible thing - either God doesn't come into their thinking at all, or if he does, they have very low expectations of him. But a few question, and are disappointed, and hurt, and angry, and it's mostly because they hear Christians banging on about the Lovely Big God Who Heals and they want to know why Lovely Big God hasn't healed them.

They don't need theology. They don't need people who think it's okay to lie and cheat as long as they lie and cheat for God. They don't need the frauds. They don't need the Christians who need God to do magic, or their faith falls apart. Twenty years of experience has taught me that what they mostly need is someone who has wrestled with God just like they're wrestling with him, and has the scars to prove it. Someone who can show them you can be with God and against him at the same time. Someone who can show them faith-in-spite-of, not faith-because-of.

I've been in situations close to the one I described. I remember one pretty scary one, when I was confronted with a very angry person. My response? Silence. A silence that felt very long indeed (but probably wasn't), in which I was gambling that the guy would get less angry, not more. But I'd guessed that this was a person who wasn't great with words, that his anger was partly frustration at not being able to express himself any other way, and that big eloquent words probably weren't a great idea here. And after the silence I said very softly, "Let's sit down." And what I recall after that is mostly an overwhelming sense of privilege as I listened to his story in whatever words he could find to tell it.

Was God doing stuff there? I have no idea. It certainly felt like it was just me and the other guy, so if God was doing stuff it was bloody subtle. And that's my experience time after time.

quote:
quote:

Ask away.
What are your grounds for asking anybody
quote:
(bearing in mind that there is a significant difference between this question and Jesus' question "what do you want me to do for you"?)

quote:
How, precisely, do you think the Apostle Peter "was able to bring healing" if not through the agency of the Spirit? Could he do it independently of the Spirit, to order, on his good days, or what? Do you think, as you seem to claim, that he could "do one if asked"?

quote:
Firstly, as I said, "not that this is directly related to - or justifies - the question I've posited. It's just an answer to what [mdijon] said."

Except it isn't. You described this man as a bully. I don't think it is reasonable to say that based on his reaction in such an extreme scenario.

Whether what he's doing is bad, or is against hospital policy which has zero tolerance for it, nevertheless it is wrong to call him a bully.

I think both this judgement and your suggested question are symptomatic of you not allowing for his emotional state in how you think here.

Perhaps. Either that or it's just a different approach that some people are unwilling, for their own reasons, to accept.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Ask away.
What are your grounds for asking anybody
quote:
(bearing in mind that there is a significant difference between this question and Jesus' question "what do you want me to do for you"?)

quote:
How, precisely, do you think the Apostle Peter "was able to bring healing" if not through the agency of the Spirit? Could he do it independently of the Spirit, to order, on his good days, or what? Do you think, as you seem to claim, that he could "do one if asked"?

The intent behind the question would be to get the man to articulate his desires for his daughter rather than his demands of the chaplain.

I do not think that Peter or any other Christian can produce miracles to order.

What 'different approach' is that, daronmedway?

A pastorally insensitive one?

I can accept that there are different ways of handling a situation like this one.

I'm interested in what you might say to the guy next.

Guy: I need a miracle! My 4 year old daughter is dying! I need one now-ww-ww!!!!'

Chaplain: Why do you need a miracle?

Guy: It's obvious, can't you see? My daughter's dying! Without a miracle she will be dead within the hour! You've got to do something! Where's your God now?!

Right, Daron - over to you. Your next comment to the soon to be bereaved and distraught parent is?:

Maybe you could explain a bit more about what sort of response you would expect, why you think it would be helpful in that situation to provoke such a response, and how you would deal with the response?

Sorry, I cross-posted ...

Ok, so the next step would be to examine the basis for the parent's demands for his daughter ie. a miracle.

Thereby taking the pressure off the chaplain to produce one ...

'You see, Mr Phelps, we may all want a miracle, particularly in a situation like this, but let's examine for a moment our reasons for wanting such a thing ...'

I must admit, I'm struggling to think of a reason why one may or may not be granted in this instance and why or how the parent's desire for one has much bearing on the outcome.

I'm really struggling to see how anything you could say along those lines is going to be of any practical use to him whatsoever.

Are you questioning the parent's motives in the way you are questioning the motives and integrity of those who had a visceral, gut-level, knee-jerk reaction to the appalling insensitivity of your opening question?

You'll be blaming the parent next. It's all their fault for presuming to expect a miracle in the first place ...they shouldn't have been so presumptuous ...

quote:
Maybe you could explain a bit more about what sort of response you would expect, why you think it would be helpful in that situation to provoke such a response, and how you would deal with the response?

The job of a priest, at least in part, is to point people to Christ. In my experience it's easier to point people to Christ by redirecting their stated desires to him rather than running away with the misconception that I can 'be' Christ to them in an immediate sense.

quote:
The intent behind the question would be to get the man to articulate his desires for his daughter rather than his demands of the chaplain

In that case, why not just ask "what do you want for your daughter"? That would already be infinitely better.

To me,
quote:
Tell me, why do you want a miracle?
implies one of two things.

It implies either that a miracle will be granted if the right answer is supplied, or that it is pointless asking for one at all.

Neither of those appear to be pastorally appropriate at that juncture, to say the least.

Posted by Latchkey Kid (# 12444) on :

I am a hospital chaplain, but have not come across a similar scenario yet..

There are many possibilities for filling out the too thin description of the scenario. Is he looking me in the eyes? His wife is there - what is she doing? Is he glancing at her as he asks his qustion. What is his expression communicating? Is it question or a statement of anger or frustration? I don't think we have this information, though others may think we know enough.
I can imagine a scenario where after a pause I could say 'We all do.'.
There have been other situations where by managing to keep my composure the threatening situation has passed. It is very human for a person to be angry with God, and if I am trying to be the image of God then that anger will be directed at me. I have been hit only once, and that was by a demented patient who was not responsible for his actions.

My byline emphasises the value of asking questions. This is a situation where a question is probably not appropriate. I think this is more likely to be a time to provide a sustaining presence, though I anticipate criticisms of this being a too formulaic response.

quote:
I do not think that Peter or any other Christian can produce miracles to order.

I remember once hearing a Christian GP (whose name escapes me), who was sceptical about miracle healing claims, saying that "if we had convincing evidence that this happens, then we could prescribe it for patients".

I don't think he really 'got' it!

Any more than those who claim to see miracles on tap 'get it' ...

There are, of course, spontaneous remissions that happen in the general run of things without prayer apparently being involved.

I know a Christian physiotherapist who has all kinds of stories of this sort of thing happening, with no discernible 'faith' element involved whatsoever.

That isn't to dismiss the story that bib told about the GP and the disappearing tumour ...

It's simply to state that the evidence isn't clear cut. I'm not sure it's helpful to divide these things into a binary 'sceptics vs everyone else' debate.

The details that we have don't permit us to draw hard and fast lines nor come to hard and fast conclusions in many of these instances.

quote:
quote:

I am not sure whether you are saying that you think the miracle stories were just fabricated, but the point I am making is that there are situations (true or fictional) in which we can see the operation of a constraint, that allows us to identify a particular supernatural source for a miracle such as a healing.

As for whether a candidate for healing needs the presence of Jesus: yes, I think that is the case, although I would hesitate to use the phrase "merit Jesus' presence". We come into the presence of God / Christ by grace.

What I think it not that there are "hard lies" or premeditated fabrications in the sense of bearing false witness. What I think is that "true believers" would have observed what was happening as Jesus moved through the crowd and become enraptured , such that they interpreted the occurrences as sensational and miraculous. The sceptical in the crowd would have interpreted these things differently. -- My interpretation is based the idea that God cannot order me into belief or faith, that the world appears ordered within full human freedom, and that God disdains to interfere with that.

We also have the problem of Judas. How could he have betrayed Jesus if he'd been present for any of the miracles? Obviously, the written accounts are one way of viewing what was happening and there are evidently others. Was Judas in the boat when Jesus walked on water?

How about the Roman solider in the garden at Jesus' arrest and his ear being healed. One would think the who troop of soldiers would be impressed by this. But some must have interpreted the occurrence differently. How is this and parallel things possible?

quote:
We also have the problem of Judas. How could he have betrayed Jesus if he'd been present for any of the miracles? Obviously, the written accounts are one way of viewing what was happening and there are evidently others. Was Judas in the boat when Jesus walked on water?

How about the Roman solider in the garden at Jesus' arrest and his ear being healed. One would think the who troop of soldiers would be impressed by this. But some must have interpreted the occurrence differently. How is this and parallel things possible?

I don't see this as a problem at all. If anything, it justifies God's judgment of Judas and others, because of their high level of personal accountability. It doesn't follow that just because someone has seen a miracle, he will automatically believe. There is the hardness, pride and obduracy of the human heart to take into account, which causes some people to reject God, despite no end of overwhelming and compelling evidence.

It's the reality of evil working through human free will, I'm afraid.

Posted by Higgs Bosun (# 16582) on :

quote:
I don't see this as a problem at all. If anything, it justifies God's judgment of Judas and others, because of their high level of personal accountability. It doesn't follow that just because someone has seen a miracle, he will automatically believe. There is the hardness, pride and obduracy of the human heart to take into account, which causes some people to reject God, despite no end of overwhelming and compelling evidence.

To which I would add:
quote:

He said to him, “If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.”
Luke 16.31

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
There are, of course, spontaneous remissions that happen in the general run of things without prayer apparently being involved.

I know a Christian physiotherapist who has all kinds of stories of this sort of thing happening, with no discernible 'faith' element involved whatsoever.

That isn't to dismiss the story that bib told about the GP and the disappearing tumour ...

It's simply to state that the evidence isn't clear cut. .

True on a number of levels. "Spontaneous remission" is another way of saying something got better and we don't know why. Which isn't to say prayer wasn't involved somewhere. Depends on your view of providence. To what extent would these spontaneous remissions happen if churches around the world didn't pray daily "for those who are sick?" It's an interesting "in house" question for Christians. And also just to repeat the point that you can never get a completely pure control group when prayer is involved, which will always leave open key counterfactual questions.

@ no prophet re your exchange with Higgs Bosun and EE.

Here's a true story. A teenager turned up to a Christian evangelistic event with a badly sprained ankle. At the end of the meeting there was a general prayer for healing. The lad came back the next day and had a word with one of the mission team, saying that when they prayed for healing he felt heat in his ankle which was healed on the spot. The lad was asked if he had decided to follow Christ. The teenager said he didn't want to become a Christian. He was a keen roller skater (that's where he picked up his injury) which is what he did on Sunday mornings. If he became a Christian he would feel he had to come to church and give up skating.

The lad had no doubt that Jesus had healed him - but he wasn't going to change his lifestyle on the basis that alone.

quote:
The job of a priest, at least in part, is to point people to Christ. In my experience it's easier to point people to Christ by redirecting their stated desires to him rather than running away with the misconception that I can 'be' Christ to them in an immediate sense.

I think it is unlikely that the agitated and confused, soon-to-be-bereaved father will get that, and possibly even less likely after your counter-intuitive opening gambit.

Others here have already said that "Why do you want a miracle" may come across as claiming more, rather than less, authority.

"Why do you think I can help you?" might be more accurate as a steer away from the priest. Albeit still rather blunt for the situation.

Here's a true story. I don't believe a word of it even if it is all true.

quote:
quote:

I think it is unlikely that the agitated and confused, soon-to-be-bereaved father will get that, and possibly even less likely after your counter-intuitive opening gambit.

Others here have already said that "Why do you want a miracle" may come across as claiming more, rather than less, authority.

"Why do you think I can help you?" might be more accurate as a steer away from the priest. Albeit still rather blunt for the situation.

Fair enough. Someone else has suggested something along the lines of, "What shall I ask God to do?"

quote:
quote:

Surely evidence which is truly overwhelming is by definition overwhelming?

@Ramarius - I don't particularly have a problem with what you're saying here. I've heard Mousethief posit something similar - all these monks and nuns praying very generalised prayers for the sick as part of their daily offices and so on ...

All I'm suggesting is that we can't always establish a clear cause-and-effect relationship between any of these things.

That's not to say I don't believe that God can't heal people and that he doesn't heal people ... but it doesn't seem to be that regular an occurrence.

The story about the skate-boarder with the poorly ankle begs as many questions as it apparently answers - but then, all of these things do, whether they take place at Lourdes, in a Greek monastery or in an evangelistic yoof gathering held by a charismatic evangelical church ...

There isn't any cause and effect relationship, is there? How can you have a cause which is supernatural? The two things are chalk and cheese.

For someone like me, who has one leg in, and one leg out, of Christianity, there is also something repellent about this talk of healing and miracles. It reminds me of a huckster's stall at a fairground, or two-headed coins, or a stacked deck of cards.

quote:
There isn't any cause and effect relationship, is there? How can you have a cause which is supernatural? The two things are chalk and cheese.

Genuinely don't get that Q. Why can't you have a supernatural cause?

quote:
quote:

Well, what method are you going to use, in order to identify it?

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, what method are you going to use, in order to identify it?
Try this. We have identified that the universe operates in accordance with a set of laws (which are the basis of the scientific method.) If an event occurs which doesn't appear to follow these laws, then the cause could either be a highly unusual natural law which we have yet to understand, or one that transcends natural laws. You could define the latter as "supernatural."

So what might be the test of identifying a supernatural cause, as opposed to a currently unknown natural cause? A strong contender would be a cause that creates an effect that is *contrary* to the laws of nature as we understand them. If, for example, someone has been crucified certified dead, wrapped tightly in cloth and sealed in a tomb then comes back to life, we have a cause that meets the definition of "supernatural" in that it is clearly contrary to the laws of nature.

Have a mull and let me know what you reckon….

[B][/B]

Malchus wasn't Roman and what judgement of Judas?

quote:
quote:

Not so fast. The explanation begs the question: "seen a miracle". If you see something and it is interpreted as a miracle, then it isn't a miracle. If you see a miracle, and you don't interpret that it was one, then it wasn't. Which then calls into question the non-convincing nature of miracles at all. Jesus walking on water? Were there stones to stand on, or did he swim? Judas would have had to see something other than walking on water.

Posted by Ikkyu (# 15207) on :

The elephant in the thread that keeps being mostly ignored despite some posters mentioning it, is this.
Why is this particular person healed and not many others?

Any post Shoah belief in an interventionist god has to explain this.
Why this heart attack and not millions of others.
What about Alzheimer patients like my father who
have been prayed for by many people and persist in not being healed?
There is no empirical evidence in support of faith healing beyond some sort of placebo effect,despite claims for "Overwhelming proof".
And if there was the god revealed would not be very pretty.

quote:
Someone else has suggested something along the lines of, "What shall I ask God to do?"

Yes, that is even better.

I have seen many of these desperate prayers in A&E departments, and not a single miracle, so my thoughts then turn to what one will then say if it doesn't work.

How does seeing a true miracle, the pot shattered as it drops from your fingers reassemble, a rotting corpse revive, make you a healed, whole, redeemed, sane, reconciled, delivered, fearless person?

We weakly make weak narratives and declare them strong. Which is normal projection of the blind looking for a shadow of doubt, a hint of vision. We invoke the truth, the fact of God when there is no miraculous sign of Him whatsoever and after a while we remove the space between utter coincidences.

A couple of weeks ago I was sawing wood and my power saw caught fire. A friend had said that they had some wood they needed clearing from their backyard. So as my saw was dead, I went round and loaded four Passat loads. And they gave me a new, better power saw that they never use.

DESPITE myself an eyebrow rose. I'm ashamed to confess it. We are that superstitious. Meanwhile my friend's partner continues to die of MS.

quote:
Originally posted by Ikkyu
The elephant in the thread that keeps being mostly ignored despite some posters mentioning it, is this.

Why this heart attack and not millions of others. What about Alzheimer patients like my father who have been prayed for by many people and persist in not being healed?

There is no empirical evidence in support of faith healing beyond some sort of placebo effect,despite claims for "Overwhelming proof".

Actually the herd of elephants in the room is this: our faith in God is not - or should not be - built on God passing a "fairness test" that we set for Him. It is as if God is on probation all the time, and "I will only believe in you and trust you if you convince me that you have completed the tasks that I have set for you today".

That is not the way the sovereign God works.

I am not a Calvinist (at least in the predestination sense), but there are times when I feel quite a sympathy for the concern of that theology to acknowledge God's proper place in the scheme of things.

I thought that Ikkyu's point was that God appears to be arbitrary, if one accepts that there are healings.

OK, one can call arbitariness sovereignty, or whatever, if one wants. I don't see how that makes it more interesting.

Sovereign love is ... obvious. Not a lottery. His Consciousness has been willing us on for a million years. 14 billion.

quote:
Originally posted by Ikkyu:

Why this heart attack and not millions of others.
What about Alzheimer patients like my father who
have been prayed for by many people and persist in not being healed?

I like some of these questions. The answer is that no one gets a miracle cure, at least not of the kind we see on a weekly or daily basis amongst faith healers, 'healing ministries' and the like. Despite the millions of claims, there is not one single verified account. God's love is apparent in other ways, but not in the occult circus shows.

Here's an interesting case.

I can think of no logical reason why I - or anyone - should just assume that the vague sceptical objection must be correct. It's almost as if the sceptic feels obliged to be sceptical, and therefore has to object for the sake of objecting.

To say that this definitely could not have been a miracle is absurd reasoning. Perhaps one could say - at a stretch - that it was perhaps not, and it was just incredible good luck, but that is a conclusion that is unproven. There is no logical reason why the sceptical assumption should be taken as the default position, other than within a commitment to philosophical naturalism ("we know a priori that these things cannot happen"), which is basically atheism.

To quote the article: "...doctors who treated him were plain baffled by his recovery." Were these doctors all ignorant fools? I think not.

Has anyone said that there definitely could not be miracles? I don't recollect that, and it would, ironically, be a non-skeptical response.

Miracles are possible, I would say. But they are usually described via anecdotes, and they seem arbitrary to me. Why would God work in arbitrary ways?

quote:
Why would God work in arbitrary ways?

That is a question that arises as a natural result of the fact of God's infinite superiority to us, which inevitably entails that we cannot possibly understand - or demand to understand - God's workings down to the finest detail. What may seem arbitrary to us is not necessarily arbitrary to God. But then, of course, God is accused of injustice, but really the only people who can reasonably accuse God of that are the individuals concerned. I am certainly not going to allow someone else's personal experience of God to dictate my experience of Him.

It seems to be saying that "God is not allowed to do something for someone, unless He does it for everyone." In other words, the majority can effectively veto the work of God: "because God did not heal us, therefore don't expect Him to do anything for you!"

I don't buy that.

[ 14. March 2014, 10:06: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

EE, the case described in that newspaper article does not demonstrate or even implicate a miracle. The article, at least, is obviously full of medical nonsense.

Now why doesn't that response surprise me?

quote:
Referring to his improvement the first time he prayed to Newman, Dr Robert Banco, chief of spinal surgery at the New England Baptist Hospital in Boston, wrote: “Because of this persisting and severe stenosis, I have no medical explanation for why he was pain-free and for so long a time. The objective data, CT, myelogram, and MRI demonstrated that his pathology did not at all change, but his symptoms [pain] improved drastically.”

After the second healing, he told Sullivan that the recovery to his spine was so complete that the 71 year-old now had the lifting capacity of a 30 year-old. “With the tear in your dura mater, your condition should have been much worse,” he said. “I have no medical or scientific answer for you. If you want an answer, ask God.”

I guess this bio must refer to the surgeon in question (unless there were two spinal chief surgeons called Robert Banco at the same hospital at the same time).

"If you want an answer, ask God" comes about as near to saying "It's a miracle" as one would ever expect from a medical professional. For a sceptic to ignore this, and persist with his "good luck" thesis or "naturalism of the gaps" explanation, belies any claim to objectivity.

Oh wait....! Silly me! Dr Banco was awarded the 2013 Compassionate Doctor Award, so, yep that's the explanation! He was just being compassionate to Mr Sullivan and didn't want to hurt his religious feelings, so that's why he said what he did. Excellent explanation. No miracle then... [Big Grin]

quote:
EE wrote:

That is a question that arises as a natural result of the fact of God's infinite superiority to us, which inevitably entails that we cannot possibly understand - or demand to understand - God's workings down to the finest detail. What may seem arbitrary to us is not necessarily arbitrary to God.

This sounds like complete flim-flam to me. You might as well just say, I don't know. All your talk of 'natural result' and 'fact' and 'inevitably entails' just looks like window-dressing something which is empty, or maybe, 'It's true, because I say so'.

God is like Jesus. If it looks like He isn't, it isn't Him. It's us projecting. That covers everything from the God of the Old Testament to random Cheshire 'miracles'. If God is other than as revealed in Jesus, that's His business. Nothing to do with us. If He really is a killer and really does do capricious miracles that disappear under any degree of scrutiny, again, that's His business. Nowt ter do wi' us.

quote:
This sounds like complete flim-flam to me. You might as well just say, I don't know. All your talk of 'natural result' and 'fact' and 'inevitably entails' just looks like window-dressing something which is empty, or maybe, 'It's true, because I say so'.

Yes, you are absolutely right, and I am terribly wrong.

A finite mind can, of course, totally and fully understand an infinite mind. Silly me for not realising that!!

quote:
quote:

Yes, you are absolutely right, and I am terribly wrong.

A finite mind can, of course, totally and fully understand an infinite mind. Silly me for not realising that!!

Well, that misses my point completely. I think you're not even wrong.

quote:
quote:
Referring to his improvement the first time he prayed to Newman, Dr Robert Banco, chief of spinal surgery at the New England Baptist Hospital in Boston, wrote: “Because of this persisting and severe stenosis, I have no medical explanation for why he was pain-free and for so long a time. The objective data, CT, myelogram, and MRI demonstrated that his pathology did not at all change, but his symptoms [pain] improved drastically.”

After the second healing, he told Sullivan that the recovery to his spine was so complete that the 71 year-old now had the lifting capacity of a 30 year-old. “With the tear in your dura mater, your condition should have been much worse,” he said. “I have no medical or scientific answer for you. If you want an answer, ask God.”

I guess this bio must refer to the surgeon in question (unless there were two spinal chief surgeons called Robert Banco at the same hospital at the same time).

"If you want an answer, ask God" comes about as near to saying "It's a miracle" as one would ever expect from a medical professional. For a sceptic to ignore this, and persist with his "good luck" thesis or "naturalism of the gaps" explanation, belies any claim to objectivity.

Oh wait....! Silly me! Dr Banco was awarded the 2013 Compassionate Doctor Award, so, yep that's the explanation! He was just being compassionate to Mr Sullivan and didn't want to hurt his religious feelings, so that's why he said what he did. Excellent explanation. No miracle then... [Big Grin]

No, based on the account, medically speaking there is certainly no miracle here. I would even go as far as to say that the account described is pretty unremarkable. I have seen many similar things myself in the absence of miraculous prayer, as well as the opposite in which symptoms inexplicably worsen without any objective evidence for why they should.

The physical signs (the objective data of the existence of the condition causing the patient's symptoms) were unchanged following prayer. The symptoms reportedly improved- i.e., the patient reported reduced pain. Medically speaking, that's all you can say about this case, though, unlike this person's doctors, I would be prepared to speculate on the most plausible reasons for the reported improvement.

Yorick

Surely, if somebody gets inexplicably worse, that's Satan leaving his calling card. Well, it's as plausible as people getting better, thanks to God.

quote:
Well, that misses my point completely. I think you're not even wrong.

Well, judging by your last two responses, I can see that we're not going to get anywhere arguing about it.

So we will just have to agree to disagree. Or whatever...

quote:
Surely, if somebody gets inexplicably worse, that's Satan leaving his calling card. Well, it's as plausible as people getting better, thanks to God.

If you hold to a theology of radical dualism, then maybe.

Mainstream Christianity does not.

Arguing? Didn't someone say something about that?

Posted by Sarah G (# 11669) on :

Going back to the OP for a minute.

Doing research on the power of prayer in the U.S. must be really difficult. How do you get a control group?

With the overwhelming majority believing in the power of prayer, pretty much everyone gets prayed for, in most cases by a lot of people. All research can deduce is that adding an extra layer of artificial prayer doesn't produce anything more than results “on the border of statistical significance”.

Indeed, a proper control group would have to come with an assurance that no-one was praying for them, which outside North Korea is going to be tough.

In fact, it seems impossible to show that healing in response to prayer, takes place. One can of course, guess that this happens, or one can believe it, without evidence, but one cannot demonstrate it. (Anecdotes are not demonstrations).

I was reading about the black death recently, when up to 200 million people died in Europe. Presumably, many people were prayed for at that time, so I suppose for those who believe in healing via prayer, some people in the black death recovered because they were prayed for. But presumably, a lot of people who were prayed for did not recover. As I said earlier, this sounds arbitrary to me, but then who are we to question the infinite inscrutability of God?

quote:
Originally posted by Sarah G:
Going back to the OP for a minute.

Doing research on the power of prayer in the U.S. must be really difficult. How do you get a control group?

You have to persuade God to play ball with your experiment as well.

quote:
As I said earlier, this sounds arbitrary to me, but then who are we to question the infinite inscrutability of God?

We are God's creatures - God's creation. Of course we have a right to question!

If God were so arbitrary as to choose some to heal then I would question her motives. But I don't believe God IS arbitrary at all, God treats us all equally imo.

Damn, must start putting *sarcasm alert*, when I say something sarcastic.

Who are we to question the infinite inscrutability of God? *sarcasm alert*

quote:
Damn, must start putting *sarcasm alert*, when I say something sarcastic.

Who are we to question the infinite inscrutability of God? *sarcasm alert*

[Smile] No tone of voice here on the Ship, sadly.

What also makes it difficult to tell is that whatever you might say sarcastically has likely been said seriously by someone else. The ship is diverse enough for Poe's law to operate.

(Which reflects the conditions for healthy debate also).

And in fact, a lot of sarcastic jokes rely on this - that is, using well-known ideas and sentences, but with an edge. But it's true that in print, it's difficult to tell one from t'other.

Well, at least we know that God will be able to distinguish them. (Hee hee hee).

quote:
A finite mind can, of course, totally and fully understand an infinite mind.

That's what may be the most "miraculous" result of all. The workings of God are beyond mortal understanding, and yet the faithful are always able to recognize His miraculous action. Not only that, but they're always able to correctly attribute such miracles to the action of their preferred deity of choice, rather than some other supernatural actor. It's amazing!

quote:
quote:
A finite mind can, of course, totally and fully understand an infinite mind.

That's what may be the most "miraculous" result of all. The workings of God are beyond mortal understanding, and yet the faithful are always able to recognize His miraculous action. Not only that, but they're always able to correctly attribute such miracles to the action of their preferred deity of choice, rather than some other supernatural actor. It's amazing!
Well done for ignoring the words "totally and fully".

The workings of God are not completely beyond mortal understanding, because, of course, a finite mind can understand something.

But anyway, if you are right, then bye bye atheism and philosophical naturalism. Because if the finite human mind cannot understand God's ways at all, then what makes us think it can understand any other version of reality?

In fact, your view of reality is utterly incoherent. If our minds are just the product of our brains, which are the result of natural selection, which is itself mindless, then mind is an illusion.

If you want to talk about miracles, then the absolutely greatest miracle of the lot, which makes the resurrection of Jesus Christ look like child's play, is mindless nature blindly throwing up something called "objectively valid reason"!!

It's amazing!!! [Ultra confused]

Although atheism does not imply any view of reality. Atheists are not all materialists or naturalists. For example, for a period, Bertrand Russell was a neutral monist; and I think there are atheists who are dualists.

And of course, science itself does not lead to any particular view of reality.

So is a cell.

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

You are being sarcastic I hope. Or I am faithless and hell bound*.

*can we add leather to that?

Posted by Arminian (# 16607) on :

From what I understand that BBC article is rather loaded. One of the studies they quote was theologically flawed with non Christians reading set prayers off cards. No faith was involve so why should it work ?.

There have actually been studies that have shown positive correlations between prayer and healing, but that doesn't necessarily prove a divine link. Its known that if sick people have better care and attention they recover better.

I trust skeptics as much as raving faith healers. Both are defending their paradigm and sometimes are prepared to bend the truth to do so.

I've seen enough to believe that healings do occur, but often less spectacularly than the Biblical accounts. I don't believe God intends to give any general proof to the masses via spectacular healings. Jesus remarked that the Father wanted to keep things hidden from the wise, but not the ordinary folk that came to him. Its not likely to have changed.

Posted by Garasu (# 17152) on :

Is there any study comparing results between those being prayed for and those for whom spells are cast?

quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
Is there any study comparing results between those being prayed for and those for whom spells are cast?

That assumes there's a difference between the two beyond "spells are what I call the other guy's prayers". In what sense are the more flamboyant faith healers (e.g. John Hagee) not casting spells?

But human that it is, it cannot be alien to you Croesos.

Faithful analytical reasoning will always be a minority activity, except, perhaps, on this site.

It is in me as I'm overwhelmed by my experience, including six decades of fundamentalism, my feelings, my shame and have little analytical capacity.

As you will know, we are up against experiential reasoning and all that goes with that.

It cannot be argued with.

Only embraced.

Loved.

quote:
Originally posted by Arminian:
From what I understand that BBC article is rather loaded. One of the studies they quote was theologically flawed with non Christians reading set prayers off cards. No faith was involve so why should it work ?.

There have actually been studies that have shown positive correlations between prayer and healing, but that doesn't necessarily prove a divine link. Its known that if sick people have better care and attention they recover better.

I trust skeptics as much as raving faith healers. Both are defending their paradigm and sometimes are prepared to bend the truth to do so.

I've seen enough to believe that healings do occur, but often less spectacularly than the Biblical accounts. I don't believe God intends to give any general proof to the masses via spectacular healings. Jesus remarked that the Father wanted to keep things hidden from the wise, but not the ordinary folk that came to him. Its not likely to have changed.

I think the point is that whether there are miracle healings or not - is unknowable. Yes, you can believe it, but there is no way to demonstrate it. NB., anecdotes are not demonstrations.

Hence there is no way to distinguish two sets of circumstance - one, where there are healings; and second, where there aren't. Both interpretations fit the data.

It's like YEC. God heals but wipes away all traces as if He hadn't to test our faith. All you've got to do is believe in lots and lost of supernatural stuff for which there is no evidence whatsoever that explains that.

See? All you need is faith.

Where analytical Christians get the faith of God from I don't know.

Posted by pimple (# 10635) on :

Whichever side of the argument you're on, anyone who says "there can be no other reason/explanation" is merely repeating the arrogant (or despairing) assertion that some things are not permitted to be true {Salman Rushdie's phrase, originally, I think).

[ 20. March 2014, 16:27: Message edited by: pimple ]

Yes, that is just epistemic arrogance. We simply don't know, and probably, we cannot know. Of course, you can have faith over it, which is basically a guess or a wish.

So it's 50:50 then? Perfectly balanced? Despite there being no forensic, statistically significant, scientific, analytical evidence whatsoever that God intervenes in the laws of physics since shortly after He walked the Earth, He does or doesn't?

I'm going to have to forego the pleasure of a Christian men's dinner for two reason. One is that I'm uncomfortable with that - although the food and company were great - and two is that the narrative of the speaker caused me to have to work even harder than usual to deconstruct to any truth in it for me. Luckily his kindness did show. The next speaker is Dave Bell – Author: ‘Mud in the Eye’ & ‘Life out Loud’ - endorsed by Rick Warren.

I'm going to be completely alone in a room of a hundred people. It's been four hundred before, but I'm not going to pay for that privilege.

I'll go to the home of a friend with MS whose nurse wife believes that may be they should have PAID to go to Benny Hinn when he came to Leicester by the power of the Holy Spirit. And not his private Gulfstream of course.

I think saying that it's 50 50 is being too specific, isn't it? We simply have no method whereby we could judge whether or not there are supernatural interventions.

I suppose plenty of atheists will say, OK, there is no evidence, therefore in effect, it doesn't happen. But then it depends on whether you have a gnostic atheist or an agnostic one - i.e. I know there is no God, as opposed to I don't know that, but I strongly suspect there isn't.

But it reminds me of the old saw about religion decaying - it's not because of hostility, but indifference. I would think that most people are not interested in miracles.

Well, they are interesting if you are thinking about what the supernatural is, and how one might develop a method to detect/describe it.

I suppose if all the cancer patients in London got better at 4pm today, one would have to think about that. But if 10% get better gradually with no treatment, what then?

quote:
I would think that most people are not interested in miracles.

Nonsense. If all the cancer patients in London were cured at 4pm today, it would be the greatest sensation in history and the entire world would be talking of nothing else. Indeed, it would take a very much lesser proven* miracle than that to do the job. I reckon the course of human history would be irrevocably and quite fundamentally altered.**

Many atheists claim that they would surrender their disbelief in gods if just one little miracle were unequivocally proven to happen. I include myself in that group, though I believe extremely strongly that no such thing has ever or will ever happen.

Obviously, it is in our essential nature to be interested in the supernatural and miraculous; we are biologically hard wired so to be. This is, of course, the chief reason why religion still has currency in the world.

* scientifically proven, preferably, though most of us would probably be satisfied with a scientifically inexplicable but reliably documented mass curing of cancer, or some such.

** I often toy with this concept for the plot of a novel, though I'm sure it's been done.

Yorick

Well, obviously the London idea would interest people!

Away from forums like this, I don't find that people are interested in miracles; being anecdotal now, profuse apologies.

Do you suppose they're disinterested because the idea of miracles seems irrelevant to them, like, perhaps, mythology in general? (I took it that you suppose they'd remain disinterested in miracles if they turned out to be real, which I find extremely doubtful).

quote:
Do you suppose they're disinterested because the idea of miracles seems irrelevant to them, like, perhaps, mythology in general? (I took it that you suppose they'd remain disinterested in miracles if they turned out to be real, which I find extremely doubtful).

No, I didn't mean that! If all cancer patients in London were cured overnight, as you said, it would cause a sensation.

Actually, I do find that people are interested in mythology, since after all Greek and Roman myths are part of Western culture. Well, so are miracles I suppose, but I feel that they have sunk in the general consciousness. I'm not sure actually that religious people think about medical miracles? It seems a fringe thing to me.

Well, I may only be speaking for myself here, but it strikes me that the concept of the supernatural is an innate part of our human condition. I'd be most surprised to learn that it's not the case that almost ALL people ideate miraculous and supernatural events, pretty much all the time.

Why, only this morning, as I was brushing my teeth, I became aware- even I, a confirmed skeptic- that my thoughts had been wandering idly as though along a sun spangled mountain stream about the glad prospect of a satellite falling with miraculous accuracy upon the head of my ex wife.

Posted by Squirrel (# 3040) on :

Have any of these allegedly objective skeptics looked into the cures investigated by the Colsulta Medica, which is the panel of doctors who investigate such matters when people are nominated for canonization by the Catholic Church? These guys are typically top-notch physicians, and what they find ls often pretty impressive.

Granted, the Consulta Medica never "verifies" a miracle. They just state that a particular cure can not be explained medically.

'Pretty impressive' stuff happens all the time in biological and medical science. Ordinary is in fact amazing, and a great amount of ordinary amazing stuff is not medically or scientifically explicable.

So?

quote:
Well, I may only be speaking for myself here, but it strikes me that the concept of the supernatural is an innate part of our human condition. I'd be most surprised to learn that it's not the case that almost ALL people ideate miraculous and supernatural events, pretty much all the time.

Why, only this morning, as I was brushing my teeth, I became aware- even I, a confirmed skeptic- that my thoughts had been wandering idly as though along a sun spangled mountain stream about the glad prospect of a satellite falling with miraculous accuracy upon the head of my ex wife.

I agree with you about the supernatural; in part, I suppose it expresses our wishes. Thus, many footballers pray before a game, or salute the heavens when they score. Possibly, also this works to an extent, as a kind of reinforcement technique?

But medical miracles seems to be a rather fringe area to me. Even within Christianity, I think it is treated with some suspicion, especially the more circus-like displays of it.

Yes, I don't think that gravity has been fully explained in scientific terms, has it? The fools, don't they know that God is pulling everything towards the centre of the earth, or any physical body? It seems rather obvious to me. My wife thinks it's invisible pixies doing the pulling, but there you are, we have an ecumenical household.

quote:
But medical miracles seems to be a rather fringe area to me. Even within Christianity, I think it is treated with some suspicion, especially the more circus-like displays of it.

I understand healing to be of some particular significance in Christianity; in the gospels, references are made to the healing of the sick by Jesus, and I know Christians who pray regularly and earnestly for God's intervention in cases of illness. I think it's pretty common.

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

Praying for healing is different for praying for a miracle though. If I pray for healing, I presume it will come through normal scientific ways or that the person will learn to live with what cannot be cured.

Posted by TheAlethiophile (# 16870) on :

quote:
I understand healing to be of some particular significance in Christianity; in the gospels, references are made to the healing of the sick by Jesus

The healings that Jesus is said to have performed are often referred to as 'signs' - in other words, things which point to something other than themselves.

It's most interesting to note that the subjects were those who were considered ritually impure within the culture of the time. So the point was less about making someone well but as making them acceptable as part of the community.

It was what we would refer to as a prophetic action. Not in the sense of "fortune-telling" but in terms of telling forth, of saying that those who are presently outcasts will be welcome in. i.e. the gentiles.

q, it's 100 : 0

We have a method. It's called using your God given faculties INCLUDING analytical reasoning on what the sense ones tell you.

Of course that takes faith.

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Praying for healing is different for praying for a miracle though. If I pray for healing, I presume it will come through normal scientific ways or that the person will learn to live with what cannot be cured.

Really? I assumed you'd be supplicating for divine intervention, which would be miraculous by scientific standards if it came about. If it were demonstrably unnatural, that is. And if it weren't, well, where's your God sans penicillin?

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

quote:
quote:

Really? I assumed you'd be supplicating for divine intervention, which would be miraculous by scientific standards if it came about. If it were demonstrably unnatural, that is. And if it weren't, well, where's your God sans penicillin?
Your assumption is that your first clause leads to your second clause. I gather some Christians would agree with you. I do not. I fully believe my god uses penicillin, doctors, and such the like.

quote:

Now that's very interesting, and puts a different complexion on the matter. It makes it less hucksterish, well, in my eyes. I mean, it's less about wheel-chairs being blithely tossed aside, although no doubt that in itself is quite a thing, but seems too much of a spectacle to me. I saw a mum lovingly tending to her daughter, dying from vCJD, and I thought, that's a miracle, (the tending, not the disease), but of course, it's not literally.

Oh it is q. And God didn't have to intervene for it to happen. That dirt can love so perfectly.

Well, Martin, some people would also say that that was God taking care of God. I don't think that is particularly Christian, is it? However, certum est, quia impossibile, (it is certain because impossible).

I like that, God taking care of God. But the truth is more breathtaking. It isn't. We love. We're created - not designed - to love and be loved. Awesome isn't it!

quote:
Well, Martin, some people would also say that that was God taking care of God. I don't think that is particularly Christian, is it? However, certum est, quia impossibile, (it is certain because impossible).

Why impossible? We can take care of ourselves, in fact we must.

Why shouldn't God?

quote:
quote:

Why impossible? We can take care of ourselves, in fact we must.

Why shouldn't God?

Well, the impossible bit wasn't meant to refer to God taking care of me, but the idea that if he does, he is taking care of himself. OK, maybe that is a kosher idea in Christianity, I don't know. It seems unlikely, since if everything is God, there is no need for salvation, is there?

There's no if q.

Posted by Grokesx (# 17221) on :

quote:
In fact, your view of reality is utterly incoherent. If our minds are just the product of our brains, which are the result of natural selection, which is itself mindless, then mind is an illusion.
Incoherent only if:
a)the fallacy of composition doesn't apply
b) the view of reality in question depends on the notion that the mind is something distinct from the body.

If it's naturalism you are firing at, you need better ammunition.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
There's no if q.

That's a bit cryptic, even for you. Do you mean the if in 'if everything is God'?

Well, the idea that everything is God is quite attractive to me, but I would think that from the point of view of Christian theology, it would be a car-crash, wouldn't it? Then, there is nowhere to get to, since we are here already.

You do find that idea in Eastern religions, I am That, and so on. Are you a secret advaita adherent?

I have my cake and it eat, Schroedinger style.

God thinks us autonomous.

quote:
Well, the impossible bit wasn't meant to refer to God taking care of me, but the idea that if he does, he is taking care of himself. OK, maybe that is a kosher idea in Christianity, I don't know. It seems unlikely, since if everything is God, there is no need for salvation, is there?

Yes, but I am saying there is nothing wrong with God taking care of himself. Whether it's God-in-us or God-out-there.

The need for salvation is to be saved from our baser animal natures imo, not anything 'out there' which is out to get us. (But that's another thread, I'm sure).

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

quote:
quote:

Now that's very interesting, and puts a different complexion on the matter. It makes it less hucksterish, well, in my eyes. I mean, it's less about wheel-chairs being blithely tossed aside, although no doubt that in itself is quite a thing, but seems too much of a spectacle to me. I saw a mum lovingly tending to her daughter, dying from vCJD, and I thought, that's a miracle, (the tending, not the disease), but of course, it's not literally.
This isn't an unusual viewpoint on praying for the sick in my experience. I attended a session led by a hospice chaplain discussing what healing might mean to people from a range of different beliefs. For the terminally ill, could it be that healing could be a good death? The time to come to terms with dying and say goodbye.

I would say that prayer is aligning my will with God's and finding out what I should do as God's hands and feet on Earth, per Teresa of Avila:
quote:
Christ has no body but yours,
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,

However, I'm so out of step with a lot of my local church that has too many people praying for a miracle rather than healing and/or other fundamentalist beliefs that I no longer go.

Curiosity killed ... That's WHY you've got to go.

And that's why I'm a total hypocrite. I stopped trekking 5 miles into the city to my charismatic evangelical megachurch after over two years because there was no reason to keep going. When I lived a 10 minute walk away there just about was (even though I was kept out of the local home group and had to drive 10-15 miles round trip to others that kept changing).

In five years we'd made no friends. 0 We worked at it, we really did, but it killed our spirits. We tried to make the endless words of knowledge liturgical.

So, with no expectations we resigned ourselves to going to the NON-charismatic, nicely broad, vaguely evangelical village church.

Bliss. More friends and joined up community than we know what to do with.

I work 2 minutes walk away so still go Friday nights to mingle with the destitute. And last night I prayed out loud with more confidence than ever before, with one anxious guy who asked, with his mental age of 10 and with the whole group, utterly refusing to beg for miracles that we all KNOW are never going to happen, whilst acknowledging needs and concerns and our helplessness, being grateful for God's provision in English civilization, the NHS, medication, lawyers. Asking for, if anything, more openness, more listening, more understanding. More of the fruits of the Spirit in effect. Must remember that explicitly next time. Felt good about it for once. Acknowledging a fundamentalist depressive's needs without using his language, just moving on, above, choosing a different narrative, finding a way to encourage him. He liked it. Poor guy. He can't see the delusion even though it's staring him in the face. He told me how the night before he'd been prayed for healing and the depression lifted. And came back straightaway. He unspokenly regarded that as his failing. He must ... he should ... if only ... I just kept his gaze, tried not to nod. He can text. I don't do phone calls. I told him to contact me when he's in town and we'll do lunch. He nodded. He won't. No headspace. I told the '10' year old to ask anyone at the megachurch to pray for him, to listen to him and never let me be too busy on a Friday night. Hmmmm. I'll have to give him my number.

A woman asking me to read all her legal correspondence, I handed it straight back and told her she needed a solicitor. She asked for prayers. We prayed she'd get a solicitor, find the headspace to do that. I'll ask her next week if that miracle occurred ...

As for my new friends across the road, yeah fundies all, they accept me to say the least. To be included one must be inclusive even, especially of the serenely, blithely alienating.

I hope questions are asked in the men's group because in reply to all in a group email invitation to a "men's dinner" with fundie 'miraculously healed' speaker, mentioned upthread (now I COULD be wrong ... he could be a postmodern neo-orthodox ...), asking for a response indicating interest "or otherwise", I said "Otherwise, thanks Jim".

Easy for me to say I know. I'm so extroverted I can get away with it. I just it's so sad Curiosity.

© Ship of Fools 2016