Thread: 8D - Kempistry - Prayers that really move you Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001166

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

What prayers really move you? Touch you in some special way?

Share them here and give a reference so others that are so moved might know where they come from.

I'm an Anglican and say the Daily Office twice a day and there are tons that really move me from the offices but this one gets me regularly:

It's from Saturday evening in A Prayer Book for Australia pg 424.

Come to visit us Lord, this night, so that by your strength we may rise at daybreak to rejoice in the resurrection of Christ your Son, who lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.

[ 06. December 2014, 01:33: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

Nothing beats the Book of Common Prayer (Canadian):

BE mindful, O Lord, of thy people bowed before thee, and of those who are absent through age, sickness, or infirmity. Care for the infants, guide the young, support the aged, encourage the faint-hearted, collect the scattered, and bring the wandering to thy fold. Travel with the voyagers, defend the widows, shield the orphans, deliver the captives, heal the sick. Succour all who are in tribulation, necessity, or distress. Remember for good all those that love us, and those that hate us, and those that have desired us, unworthy as we are, to pray for them. And those whom we have forgotten, do thou, O Lord, remember. For thou art the Helper of the helpless, the Saviour of the lost, the Refuge of the wanderer, the Healer of the sick. Thou, who knowest each man’s need, and hast heard his prayer, grant unto each according to thy merciful loving-kindness and thy eternal love; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Source: http://prayerbook.ca/resources/bcponline/prayers-and-thanksgivings/#prayer45

Nice one. How does that work? i.e. Candadian BCP? You have a revised version? Is this prayer original BCP? Don't recall it. (But then I'm not totally au fait with the BCP in its original form. [Biased] )

Strikes me as something you could use for general intercessions.

[ 14. June 2014, 13:16: Message edited by: Evensong ]

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Nice one. How does that work? i.e. Candadian BCP? You have a revised version? Is this prayer original BCP? Don't recall it. (But then I'm not totally au fait with the BCP in its original form. [Biased] )

Strikes me as something you could use for general intercessions.

Yes, it`s our Prayer Book in the Anglican Church of Canada, last revised in 1962.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

Yes - that is a lovely one. I have heard it used in the Church of Ireland as well, so I'm not sure where it came from originally. Not the old 1662 BCP, but possibly the 1928 book?

Another that I love is this prayer of Bl. John Henry Newman:

quote:
May the Lord support us all the day long, till the shades lengthen and the evening comes, and the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done. Then in His mercy may He give us a safe lodging, and a holy rest and peace at the last.

Posted by Galilit (# 16470) on :

BCP,1662, the Collect for the 21st Sunday after Trinity. (Which is also the Absolution in the absence of a Priest):
"Grant, we beseech thee, merciful Lord, to thy faithful people pardon and peace; that they may be cleansed from all their sins, and serve thee with a quiet mind; through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen"

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

This Presbyterian has always loved the Prayer of Humble Access.

Another favorite, that became part of daily devotions, is this prayer of the Iona Community:

quote:
O Christ, the Master Carpenter
Who, at the last, through wood and nails,
Purchased our whole salvation.
Wield well Your tools in the workshop of Your world,
So that we, who come rough-hewn to Your bench
May here be fashioned to a truer beauty of Your hand.
We ask it for Your own Name's sake.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Actually not, it was written by Arthur Page Butler (1831-1909), a headmaster of Rugby School and Anglican cleric. I got this information from Spring 2010 Coracle (see page 7) which is a publication by the Iona Community.

Jengie

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Actually not, it was written by Arthur Page Butler (1831-1909), a headmaster of Rugby School and Anglican cleric. I got this information from Spring 2010 Coracle (see page 7) which is a publication by the Iona Community.

Jengie

Thanks, Jengie. I did know that, though I couldn't recall Butler's name. I thought by using prayer "of" the Iona Community, I was adequately suggesting that it was a prayer widely used by and made known by the Iona Community (that's where I learned it) and was distinguishing it from a prayer "by" or "from" the Iona Community. I guess that was less than clear.

Posted by MrsBeaky (# 17663) on :

I've always loved this prayer, attributed to Basil the great:

O Lord our God, teach us, we pray, to ask you in the right way for the right blessings. Steer the vessel of our life towards yourself, the tranquil haven of all storm tossed souls. Show us the course in which we should go. Renew a willing spirit within us. Let your Spirit curb our wayward senses, and guide and enable us towards that which is our true good, to keep your laws, and in all we do to rejoice always in your glorious and gladdening presence. For yours is the glory and praise from all your saints, forever and ever, Amen

Posted by Jude (# 3033) on :

Lighten our darkness, we beseech thee o Lord, and in thy great mercy defend us from all perils and dangers of this night. For the love of thy only son, our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

Posted by Joan Rasch (# 49) on :

From the New Zealand Prayer Book

Lord it is night.

The night is for stillness.
Let us be still in the presence of God.

It is night after a long day.
What has been done has been done; what has not been done has not been done.

Let it be.

The night is dark.
Let our fears of the darkness of the world and of our own lives rest in you.

The night is quiet.
Let the quietness of your peace enfold us, all dear to us, and all who have no peace.

The night heralds the dawn.
Let us look expectantly to a new day, new joys, new possibilities.

In your name we pray.
Amen

It is a Compline prayer, which I learned recently while spending some time at Emory House, the SSJE retreat place.

I particularly like the verse about things done and not done, and letting it be.

Joan

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

I don't remember how I came by this prayer, but it is very dear to me.

Almighty God, reveal to us what we do not know;
perfect in us what is lacking;
strengthen in us what we know;
and keep us faultless in your service,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

--Clement, Bishop of Rome

Posted by Rampant Wonder (# 11159) on :

My favourite would have to be this one, from St. Augustine:

Watch thou, O Lord,
with those who wake, or watch, or weep tonight,
and give thine angels charge over those who sleep.
Tend thy sick ones, Lord Christ.
Rest thy weary ones.
Bless thy dying ones.
Soothe thy suffering ones.
Pity thine afflicted ones.
Shield thy joyous ones.
And all, for thy love's sake.
Amen.

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Nothing beats the Book of Common Prayer (Canadian):

BE mindful, O Lord, of thy people bowed before thee, and of those who are absent through age, sickness, or infirmity. Care for the infants, guide the young, support the aged, encourage the faint-hearted, collect the scattered, and bring the wandering to thy fold. Travel with the voyagers, defend the widows, shield the orphans, deliver the captives, heal the sick. Succour all who are in tribulation, necessity, or distress. Remember for good all those that love us, and those that hate us, and those that have desired us, unworthy as we are, to pray for them. And those whom we have forgotten, do thou, O Lord, remember. For thou art the Helper of the helpless, the Saviour of the lost, the Refuge of the wanderer, the Healer of the sick. Thou, who knowest each man’s need, and hast heard his prayer, grant unto each according to thy merciful loving-kindness and thy eternal love; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Source: http://prayerbook.ca/resources/bcponline/prayers-and-thanksgivings/#prayer45

This is a reworking of a portion of the private prayer of the priest for all the saints, immediately after the transmaking of the holy gifts and before the litany before the communion.

One source is this pdf. Seach for the second occurrence of the word captive to land yourself (on page 74 or on page 86 of 128 pdf pages) in the middle of this long and comprehensive prayer.

My favorite lines are these:
quote:
For You, O Lord, are the Help of the helpless,
the Hope of the hopeless,
the Savior of the storm-tossed,
the Harbor for voyagers,
the Physician for the sick.
Be all things to all men;
for You know each one and his petition,
each house and its need.

Hmmm. Help, Hope, Savior, Harbor, Physician, etc. Anyone else see a connection with other litanies, such as the one of Loretto?

Posted by GCabot (# 18074) on :

A prayer for the parish from the ASB:

Almighty and everlasting God, who dost govern all things in Heaven and Earth, mercifully hear the supplications of Thy servants, and grant unto this parish family all things necessary for its spiritual welfare: schools to train up Thy people in Thy faith and fear, ministers to labor in this portion of Thy vineyard, and a church restored and maintained in the beauty of holiness. Strengthen and increase the faithful; visit and relieve the sick; turn and soften the wicked; rouse the careless; recover the fallen; restore the penitent; remove all hindrances to the advancement of Thy truth; and bring us all to be of one heart and mind within the fold of Thy Holy Catholic Church; through Jesus Christ Thy Son our Lord, who with Thee and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth one God, world without end. Amen.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I've always loved the third at BCP Evensong - Lighten our darkness we beseech thee, O Lord; and by thy great mercy defend us from all perils and dangers of this night; for the love of thy only Son, our Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen. I had a wonderful teacher who would always say this at the end of the schoolday before sending us on our way. It meant so much to me, that I have said the same prayer every night since.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Joan Rasch:

Lord it is night. ...

Although I have heard about three attributions of authorship of that prayer (and know all three persons) the story behind it remains sacred: the NZ Prayer Book compilers had been slaving away through a long day, the author privately doodled those thoughts, screwed them up and threw into a bin, from which they were retrieved and incorporated into Compline.

I'm rusty on the details, now, but that approximates the story.

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Joan Rasch:

Lord it is night.

The night is for stillness.
Let us be still in the presence of God.

It is night after a long day.
What has been done has been done; what has not been done has not been done.

Let it be.

The night is dark.
Let our fears of the darkness of the world and of our own lives rest in you.

The night is quiet.
Let the quietness of your peace enfold us, all dear to us, and all who have no peace.

The night heralds the dawn.
Let us look expectantly to a new day, new joys, new possibilities.

In your name we pray.
Amen

It is a Compline prayer, which I learned recently while spending some time at Emory House, the SSJE retreat place.

I particularly like the verse about things done and not done, and letting it be.

Joan

I love this one, but didn't have a copy to quote from.

At Pentecost we have a banner in the church that quotes the beginning of James K Baxter's 'Song to the Holy Spirit': Lord, Holy Spirit, /You blow like the wind in a thousand paddocks.
It continues...Inside and outside the fences,/ You blow where you wish to blow.
It ends:
Lord, Holy Spirit
In the love of friends you are building a new house,
Heaven is with us when you are with us.
You are singing your songs in the hearts of the poor.
Guide us, wound us, heal us,
Bring us to the Father.

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

Should have added: the Baxter prayer is also in the NZ Anglican Prayer Book.

GG

Posted by Waw consecutivum (# 18120) on :

quote:
Hmmm. Help, Hope, Savior, Harbor, Physician, etc. Anyone else see a connection with other litanies, such as the one of Loretto?
## Definitely.

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

Three prayers. The first is Jim Cotter's reworking of one of the Compline prayers:

quote:
O living God, in Jesus Christ you were laid in the tomb at this evening hour, and so sanctified the grave to be a bed of hope to your people. Give us courage and faith to die daily to our sin and pride, that even as this flesh and blood decays, our lives still may grow in you, that at our last day our dying may be done so well that we live in you for ever.
The second is the alternative post-communion prayer from the ASB:

quote:
Father of all, we give you thanks and praise, that when we were still far off you met us in your Son and brought us home. Dying and living, he declared your love, gave us grace, and opened the gates of glory. May we who share Christ's body, live his risen life; we who drink his cup bring life to others; we whom the Spirit lights give light to the world. Amen.
The third is the Prayer of Humble Access. It doesn't matter what form - 1662, 1980, alternative - I miss not saying it every week.

Posted by Waw consecutivum (# 18120) on :

If one has to choose just one single prayer, I think my choice would be this, of Cardinal Newman to Saint Philip Neri:

"Philip, my glorious Advocate, teach me to look at all I see around me after thy pattern as the creatures of God. Let me never forget that the same God who made me made the whole world, and all men and all animals that are in it. Gain me the grace to love all God's works for God's sake, and all men for the sake of my Lord and Saviour who has redeemed them by the Cross. And especially let me be tender and compassionate and loving towards all Christians, as my brethren in grace.
And do thou, who on earth wast so tender to all, be especially tender to us, and feel for us, bear with us in all our troubles, and gain for us from God, with Whom thou dwellest in beatific light, all the aids necessary for bringing us safely to Him and to thee."

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Although I have heard about three attributions of authorship of that prayer (and know all three persons) the story behind it remains sacred: the NZ Prayer Book compilers had been slaving away through a long day, the author privately doodled those thoughts, screwed them up and threw into a bin, from which they were retrieved and incorporated into Compline.

I'm rusty on the details, now, but that approximates the story.

Thank you Zappa. It would do me well to bear well in mind that there are authors, living authors, behind the NZ Prayer Book whenever I feel compelled to lock their Prayer Book Psalter in the pillory and hurl rotted vegetables at it.

Posted by Panda (# 2951) on :

Attributed to John Henry Newman:

Support us, O Lord,
all the day long of this troublous life,
until the shadows lengthen and the evening comes,
the busy world is hushed,
the fever of life is over
and our work is done.
Then Lord, in your mercy grant us a safe lodging,
a holy rest, and peace at the last;
through Christ our Lord.
Amen.

[ 15. June 2014, 18:28: Message edited by: Panda ]

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

I'm always deeply moved by the tiny, customary insertion to the eucharistic prayer on the evening of Maundy Thursday:
quote:
Who on this night, the night he was betrayed, took bread...
It makes it all suddenly very real.

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

Count me in with 'Lighten our darkness...':

also from the 1662 BCP the General Thanksgiving:
quote:
Almighty God, Father of all mercies, we thine unworthy servants do give thee most humble and hearty thanks for all thy goodness and loving-kindness to us and to all men; [*particularly to those who desire now to offer up their praises and thanksgivings for thy late mercies vouchsafed unto them.] We bless thee for our creation, preservation, and all the blessings of this life; but above all for thine inestimable love in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ, for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory. And we beseech thee, give us that due sense of all thy mercies, that our hearts may be unfeignedly thankful, and that we shew forth thy praise, not only with our lips, but in our lives; by giving up ourselves to thy service, and by walking before thee in holiness and righteousness all our days; through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom with thee and the Holy Ghost be all honour and glory, world without end.
and the Collect for Purity:

quote:
ALMIGHTY God, unto whom all hearts be open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid: Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of thy Holy Spirit, that we may perfectly love thee, and worthily magnify thy holy Name; through Christ our Lord. Amen.
and, from the post-communion Collects
quote:
Almighty God, the fountain of all wisdom, who knowest our necessities before we ask, and our ignorance in asking: We beseech thee to have compassion upon our infirmities; and those things, which for our unworthiness we dare not, and for our blindness we cannot ask, vouchsafe to give us for the worthiness of thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

"Be merciful to me, a fool."

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

The postcommunion for the Advent season :

"We wait for thy mercy, O Lord, in the midst of thy temple: that so we may with due reverence prepare for the approaching festival of our redemption. Through thy only Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who together with thee, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, liveth and reigneth, one God, world without end. Amen."

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Thank you Zappa. It would do me well to bear well in mind that there are authors, living authors, behind the NZ Prayer Book whenever I feel compelled to lock their Prayer Book Psalter in the pillory and hurl rotted vegetables at it.

Oh yes, I aim a few as well ... at various points. Not at the compline or house blessing compilers though.

Posted by Carys (# 78) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
The second is the alternative post-communion prayer from the ASB:

quote:
Father of all, we give you thanks and praise, that when we were still far off you met us in your Son and brought us home. Dying and living, he declared your love, gave us grace, and opened the gates of glory. May we who share Christ's body, live his risen life; we who drink his cup bring life to others; we whom the Spirit lights give light to the world. Amen.

That's one of my favourites. Remember us using it spontaneously at a diy communion/agape on a St Sim's weekend (Scarborough I think) and so many of us just knew it.

One favourite of mine is particularly appropriate for today, the prayer of Richard of Chichester. Can't quite remember the beginning but approximately
quote:

Most merciful redeemer, Friend & brother
May I see thee more clearly,
love thee more dearly
and follow thee more nearly
day by day

Carys

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

One of the most moving prayers is one I hope I can recall if I need to pray it for someone as they die:
quote:
Depart, O Christian soul, out of this world; In the Name of God the Father Almighty who created you; In the Name of Jesus Christ who redeemed you; In the Name of the Holy Spirit who sanctifies you. May your rest be this day in peace, and your dwelling place in the Paradise of God.

Into your hands, O merciful Savior, we commend your servant N. Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming. Receive him into the arms of your mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light. Amen.

May his soul and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

-- BCP 1979 (USA), pp. 464-465

Posted by Gwalchmai (# 17802) on :

Interesting that a lot of the prayers quoted on this thread are from evensong or compline. Do we have a special need for calming words at the end of the day?

We always ended the day at my (non-church) primary school with the third collect from Evening Prayer ("Lighten our darkness . . ") - that was a long time ago in the early 1960s.

The post communion prayer in ASB quoted above was the one gem in an otherwise uninspiring book.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Not from a prayer book:
quote:
i thank You God for most this amazing
day:

e.e. cummings

A beautiful quote, but almost certainly quotation in full will be a violation of copyright.

I herewith attach a link

[ 19. June 2014, 09:06: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Hosting

Please remember our copyright restrictions, violations of which make the Baby Jesus Cry and Simon's cheque book tremble.

/Hosting

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I've always loved the third at BCP Evensong - Lighten our darkness we beseech thee, O Lord; and by thy great mercy defend us from all perils and dangers of this night; for the love of thy only Son, our Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen. I had a wonderful teacher who would always say this at the end of the schoolday before sending us on our way. It meant so much to me, that I have said the same prayer every night since.

During our (Michigan) early-music ensemble's week singing evening services at St Mary's Cathedral in Edinburgh, I was given the privilege of being precentor-for-a-day when several of the clergy were on holiday and the provost preferred not to be precentor as well.

I had to rehearse my one-note chanting of "Lighten our darkness..." enough to make sure I could do it without choking up when the time came. I held off the choking and tearing-up, but only just. Chanting that collect in a UK cathedral was a life moment for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
One of the most moving prayers is one I hope I can recall if I need to pray it for someone as they die:
quote:
Depart, O Christian soul, out of this world; In the Name of God the Father Almighty who created you; In the Name of Jesus Christ who redeemed you; In the Name of the Holy Spirit who sanctifies you. May your rest be this day in peace, and your dwelling place in the Paradise of God.

Into your hands, O merciful Savior, we commend your servant N. Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming. Receive him into the arms of your mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light. Amen.

May his soul and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

-- BCP 1979 (USA), pp. 464-465
That's magic. Sends shivers down me spine.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Hosting

Please remember our copyright restrictions, violations of which make the Baby Jesus Cry and Simon's cheque book tremble.

/Hosting

Sorry about that. [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:
Interesting that a lot of the prayers quoted on this thread are from evensong or compline. Do we have a special need for calming words at the end of the day?

Yes, I wondered that as well. Like Jude, I love

quote:
Guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping; that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace.
And from the service of Compline

quote:
The Lord Almighty grant us a quiet night and a perfect end.
and

quote:
In peace we will lie down and sleep;
for you alone, Lord, make us dwell in safety.

Abide with us, Lord Jesus,
for the night is at hand and the day is now past.

As the night watch looks for the morning,
so do we look for you, O Christ.

There's something about these prayers that quietens one's heart.

Posted by WearyPilgrim (# 14593) on :

A benediction that I heard last year for the first time, pronounced by an Anglican friend:

"May the defense of the Most High be above and beneath, around and within us, in our going out and in our coming in, in our rising up and in our going down, through all our days and all our nights, until the dawn when the Sun of Righteousness shall arise with healing in his wings for the peoples of a weary and waiting world; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

He told me that legend has it that this was written by a British soldier as part of a letter to his parents during World War I. I can't recall the details. Perhaps others on the Ship can help me out.

Posted by Winstonian (# 14801) on :

There are some wonderful prayers here, some of them pointing out yet again what a wonderful resource the BCP is.

Because I care deeply about the suffering (and happiness!) of our fellow creatures, these two prayers are among my favorites. Unfortunately, I don't have sources for them. The first is attributed to St. Basil, although I don't think its origin is really known. The second is from Albert Schweitzer, and I'm afraid my source is a wall on the animal shelter where I serve.

The first:
Prayer attributed to St. Basil: The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof. O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom you gave the earth as their home in common with us. We remember with shame that in the past we have exercised the high dominion of man with ruthless cruelty so that the voice of the earth, which should have gone up to you in song, has been a groan of travail. May we realize that they live not for us alone but for themselves and for you and that they love the sweetness of life. In Christ’s name, Amen.

The second:
Prayer attributed to Albert Schweitzer: Hear our humble prayer, O God, for our friends the animals, especially for animals who are suffering; for animals that are overworked, underfed and cruelly treated; for all wistful creatures in captivity that beat their wings against bars; for any that are hunted or lost or deserted or frightened or hungry; for all that must be put to death. We entreat for them all Thy mercy and pity, and for those who deal with them we ask a heart of compassion and gentle hands and kindly words. Make us, ourselves, to be true friends to animals, and so to share the blessings of the merciful.

Posted by Hilda of Whitby (# 7341) on :

The compline prayers that people have mentioned are beautiful and I love saying them.

I don't even know if you could call this a prayer, but I do. It's probably from the Psalms, and it was on the postcard that Etty Hillesum threw out of the train on the way from the Westerbork concentration in the Netherlands to Auschwitz on Sept. 6, 1943:

"The Lord is my high tower."

She died on November 30,1943, in Auschwitz.

In fact, every time I read a psalm or prayer that has imagery like "The Lord is my stronghold/crag/rock/etc.", I always amend it to "The Lord is my high tower", in memory of Etty. Words cannot describe how much she has meant to my spiritual life.

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

This is such a good and inspiring thread: thank you.

Posted by Circuit Rider (# 13088) on :

I love the prayers of the BCP 1979. I pray them daily. While all of them have beautiful and thoughtful language, the one that moves me most is the prayer of General Thanksgiving:
quote:
Almighty God, Father of all mercies,
we your unworthy servants give you humble thanks
for all your goodness and loving-kindness
to us and to all whom you have made.
We bless you for our creation, preservation,
and all the blessings of this life;
but above all for your immeasurable love
in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.
And, we pray, give us such an awareness of your mercies,
that with truly thankful hearts we may show forth your praise,
not only with our lips, but in our lives,
by giving up our selves to your service,
and by walking before you
in holiness and righteousness all our days;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
to whom, with you and the Holy Spirit,
be honor and glory throughout all ages. Amen.

Truly puts me in the spirit of humble gratitude.

Posted by WearyPilgrim (# 14593) on :

I agree with you, Circuit Rider. I'm a Congregational minister, and I always include the General Thanksgiving in our annual Thanksgiving service. It beautifully summarizes everything for which we need to give thanks and for which we need to pray.

Another one, also from BCP 1979, I have been praying OFTEN lately is the Prayer of Confession and Pardon ...
quote:
Most merciful God,
we confess that we have sinned against you
in thought, word, and deed,
by what we have done,
and by what we have left undone.
We have not loved you with our whole heart;
we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves.
We are truly sorry and we humbly repent.
For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ,
have mercy on us and forgive us;
that we may delight in your will,
and walk in your ways,
to the glory of your Name. Amen.

Working through a few personal crises lately, not sure what to think or do, and praying often. When I pray this one for myself I change it to the first person singular.

[Votive]

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

I am always moved by the words of this prayer, from Compline in the 1979 BCP:

quote:
Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.
I have heard it attributed to St Augustine, but I am not sure.

Posted by Hilda of Whitby (# 7341) on :

A prayer by Hildegard of Bingen (from the Compline prayers in the Glenstal Book of Prayer):

Antiphon to Mary

O flowering, noble stem, your flower comes forth like the dawn.
Rejoice now and be glad, and free us from evil ways, weak as we are--
Stretch out your hand and lift us up.

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:

quote:
Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.
I've often tried to find an apparently UK version of this prayer, which I heard on a BBC Choral Evensong broadcast. Part of it went "Tend the sick ones...bless the dying ones..." etc. Anyone know where that version is found? Not that it's better; I just liked it and wonder whence it came.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
quote:

quote:
I've often tried to find an apparently UK version of this prayer, which I heard on a BBC Choral Evensong broadcast. Part of it went "Tend the sick ones...bless the dying ones..." etc. Anyone know where that version is found? Not that it's better; I just liked it and wonder whence it came.
this one?

I like delivering this (congregational rather than elemental)epiclesis from NZPB/HKMOA (NZ):
quote:
Empower our celebration with your Holy Spirit,
feed us with your life,
fire us with your love,
confront us with your justice,
and make us one in the body of Christ
with all who share your gifts of love.

(NZPB/HKMOA, 470)

as well as this Extended Communion Prayer
quote:
God, creator of time and space
may the love and faith
which makes
this bread the body of Christ
this wine his blood
enfold us now.
Make us one
with (the people of ...* and)
the whole body of Christ.
May Christ’s Holy Spirit
bring to us in the sacrament
the strength
and peace we need
and an abiding trust
in your gift of eternal life.
Amen.

(NZPB/HKMOA, 734)

Zappa, the two prayers you cite from the New Zealand Prayerbook remind me of one bit of liturgy that I always find particularly meaningful—the epiclesis of the Great Thanksgiving in the Presbyterian (PC(USA)) liturgy:
quote:
Gracious God,
pour out your Holy Spirit upon us
and upon these your gifts of bread and wine,
that the bread we break
and the cup we bless
may be the communion of the body and blood of Christ.
By your Spirit make us one with the living Christ,
that we may be one with all who share this feast,
united in ministry in every place.
As this bread is Christ’s body for us,
send us out to be the body of Christ in the world.

I'm particularly find of the last sentence.

Oops. I meant to say particularly fond of the last sentence.

quote:

quote:
I love this one too, Mamacita. It indeed brings a peaceful end to the day. We use it often in our family's Compline.

Posted by GRobit625 (# 16330) on :

Does anyone take a couple of prayers and combine them? For the grace I say over my meals I would pray the following: "Bless Father God these gifts to our use and us to your service and keep us ever-mindful of the needs of others, Through Jesus Christ our Lord Amen."

Welcome GRobit625 ... that's very similar to one of the graces I use

quote:
Originally posted by GRobit625:
Does anyone take a couple of prayers and combine them? For the grace I say over my meals I would pray the following: "Bless Father God these gifts to our use and us to your service and keep us ever-mindful of the needs of others, Through Jesus Christ our Lord Amen."

Yes, GRobit625. I have combined the two prayers of Thanksgiving before for a Thanksgiving service. I have also taken the General Thanksgiving quoted above and made it into a Great Thanksgiving, working in an epiklesis at an appropriate place.

Posted by Fredegund (# 17952) on :

http://www.laundeabbey.org.uk/
The Launde Abbey Prayer

Father,

here may the faithful find salvation and the careless be awakened;
here may the doubting find faith and the anxious be encouraged;
here may the tempted find help and the sorrowful comfort;
here may the weary find rest and the strong be renewed;
here may we all find inspiration, and that peace which the world cannot give: your precious gift to us in Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.
Almost as good as being in their chapel

Posted by FCB (# 1495) on :

Ignatius of Loyola's Suscipe:

Take, Lord, and receive
all my liberty,
my memory,
my understanding,
and my entire will:
all that I have and possess.
You have given all to me.
To you, O lord, I return it.
All is yours;
dispose of it wholly according to your will.
Give me only your love
and your grace,
for this is sufficient for me.

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

This prayer, by an unknown author, is one I now use regularly, having found it in "Coming and Going" for the 1st Friday in Advent:

Tender providence of my God,
I commend myself entirely to you;
my problems and my perplexities,
my desires and my difficulties,
my earthly and eternal future,
the wants of my body,
the needs of my soul,
are in your loving care.
Though my faults are evident,
and my sins are many,
my hope in your goodness
sustains my love.

quote:
Originally posted by GRobit625:

That's almost exactly what we use.

Although someone I often dine with occasionally gets very long-winded when saying grace, and I admit I have sometimes offered a silent prayer that our Lord work a miracle so that the food for which we give thanks will be as hot when the grace is over as it was when placed before us. Amen.

(And I've found that the longer an extemporaneous grace gets, the more homiletic it gets--"Help us to remember..." Which is something that irritates me greatly.)

Posted by Mama Thomas (# 10170) on :

I am moved by these two post-Communions.

I honestly have no idea why the revisers of the US 79 felt the need to truncate the powerful theology expressed in this beautiful prayer:

Almighty and everliving God, we most heartily thank thee, for that thou dost vouchsafe to feed us, who have duly received these holy mysteries, with the spiritual food of the most precious Body and Blood of thy Son our Saviour Jesus Christ; and dost assure us thereby of thy favour and goodness towards us; and that we are very members incorporate in the mystical body of thy Son, which is the blessed company of all faithful people; and are also heirs through hope of thy everlasting kingdom, by the merits of the most precious death and passion of thy dear Son. And we most humbly beseech thee, O heavenly Father, so to assist us with thy grace, that we may continue in that holy fellowship, and do all such good works as thou hast prepared for us to walk in; through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom, with thee and the Holy Ghost, be all honour and glory, world without end. Amen.

Another one which came out in 1980 I believe and is known and loved through the whole of the Anglophone Anglican Communion, with the exception of TEC. Some people call the alliterations cheesy, for me the make this prayer memorable and meaningful:

Father of all, we give you thanks and praise, that when we were still far off you met us in your Son and brought us home. Dying and living, he declared your love, gave us grace, and opened the gate of glory. May we who share Christ's body live his risen life; we who drink his cup bring life to others; we whom the Spirit lights give light to the world. Keep us firm in the hope you have set before us, so we and all your children shall be free, and the whole earth live to praise your name; through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Give me revisions like that all day long!

Aye. That last one is common in the Anglican Church of Australia. I love it too. Perfect end to a perfect feast.

Another one of my faves:

quote:
God of grace, we thank you for all your gifts to us: grant us to accept both pain and joy in faith and hope, and never to fail in love to you and to our sisters an brothers, through Jesus Christ your son our Lord. Amen.
Tuesday evening office
Anglican Prayer book for Australia. pg 400

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Newman's best, IMO:
quote:
May he support us all the day long till the shades lengthen and the evening comes and the busy world is hushed and the fever of life is over and our work is done. Then in his mercy may he give us a safe lodging and a holy rest and peace at the last.
Often 'reserved' for Evensong or funerals which seems a shame.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

A beautiful prayer which I found is said regularly on Norfolk Island:

Suffer me not O Lord to waste this day in sin or folly,
But let me worship Thee with much delight.
Teach me to know more of Thee,
And to serve Thee better than ever I have done before,
That I may be fitter to dwell in Heaven,
Where Thy worship and service are everlasting.

Posted by iamchristianhearmeroar (# 15483) on :

Three for me:

First is the third collect from Evensong "Lighten our darkness..." which has been mentioned several times up thread before.

Second is the simple Jesus Prayer:

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner."

Third is the Iona invitation to Communion:

"This is the table not of the Church but of the Lord.
It is to be made ready for those who love him,
and who want to love him more.

So, come,
you who have much faith
and you who have little,
you who have been here often
and you who have not been for a very long time,
you who have tried to follow
and you who have failed.

Come, not because it is I who invite you:
it is our Lord.
It is his will that those who want him
should meet him here."

I'm very pleased to say that this third prayer is now used at the introduction of the Liturgy of the Sacrament in our shack in Ordinary Time.

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

This. I'm afraid I don't know its provenance but have heard it several times and used it occasionally:
quote:
O God of unchangeable power and eternal light:
Look favourably on your whole Church,
that wonderful and sacred mystery;
by the effectual working of your providence,
carry out in tranquility the plan of salvation;
let the whole world know
that things that were being cast down are being raised up,
and things which had grown old are being made new,
and that all things are being brought to their perfection
by him through whom all things were made,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

But most of all, the Exsultet.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Angloid - it's from the Easter Vigil service too - follows the Zephaniah reading (p285/291 of that link)

[ 20. August 2014, 00:26: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

Ooh, found another link that attributes that prayer to the "Gelasian Sacramentary, 7th century"

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

I've always found the prayer of Saint Brendan to be rather moving - if it can indeed be called a prayer; it's more of a Gethsemane type plea to be let off the hook. It has a resonance for an island people all too familiar with emigration. It is Brendan's prayer immediately after recognising his calling to take the Gospel to the next shore as he stands on the beach staring out into the violent Atlantic ocean.

Shall I abandon, O King of mysteries, the soft comforts of home?
Shall I turn my back on my native land, and turn my face towards the sea?
Shall I put myself wholly at your mercy, without silver, without a horse, without fame, without honour?
Shall I throw myself wholly upon you, without sword and shield, without food and drink, without a bed to lie on?
Shall I say farewell to my beautiful land, placing myself under your yoke?
Shall I pour out my heart to you, confessing my manifold sins and begging forgiveness, tears streaming down my cheeks?
Shall I leave the prints of my knees on the sandy beach, a record of my final prayer in my native land?
Shall I then suffer the kind of wound that only the sea can inflict?
Shall I take my tiny boat across the wide, sparkling ocean?
O King of the glorious heaven, shall I go of my own choice upon the sea?
O Christ, will you help me on the wild waves?

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Angloid - it's from the Easter Vigil service too - follows the Zephaniah reading (p285/291 of that link)

Which version of the Easter Vigil is that? I couldn't find it in Common Worship but didn't look properly in Times and Seasons. Is it perhaps the American BCP?

That link is the Episcopal Church online BCP, the other link is to the Lambeth Conference - which makes me wonder why I know it, because I've definitely seen it before.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
This. I'm afraid I don't know its provenance but have heard it several times and used it occasionally:
quote:
O God of unchangeable power and eternal light:
Look favourably on your whole Church,
that wonderful and sacred mystery;
by the effectual working of your providence,
carry out in tranquility the plan of salvation;
let the whole world know
that things that were being cast down are being raised up,
and things which had grown old are being made new,
and that all things are being brought to their perfection
by him through whom all things were made,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

It is from Times & Seasons Good Friday Liturgy and rounds of the solemn prayers.

Posted by PaulTH* (# 320) on :

One of the greatest gems of Anglican liturgy is, IMO, the Pyayer of Humble Acess:

" We do not presume to come to this thy Table, O merciful Lord, trusting in our own righteousness, but in thy manifold and great mercies. We are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under thy Table. But thou art the same Lord, whose property is always to have mercy: Grant us therefore, gracious Lord, so to eat the flesh of thy dear Son Jesus Christ, and to drink his blood, that our sinful bodies may be made clean by his body, and our souls washed through his most precious blood, and that we may evermore dwell in him, and he in us. Amen."

Probably writted by Cranmer himself, as it appeared in his 1548 book of new prayers, as well as in the 1549 BCP. Another favourite, which I always say on my knees after receiving communion is a secret prayer from the older Roman Missal, which is translated in the English Missal as:

" Let thy Body, O Lord, which I have taken, and thy Blood which I have drunk, cleave unto my members: and grant; that no stain of sin may remain in me, whom thou hast refreshed with these pure and holy sacraments: Who livest and reignest world without end. Amen"

Very appropriate after communion!

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

[Axe murder] Prayer of Humble Access [Axe murder]

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

It has been suggested that this thread might be of interest for discussion on the experimental '8th Day' board, Kempistry. So, we are going to try floating it there.

Posters new and old are all welcome!

Dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

Blowing away my hopeless negative expectations. Thank you.
Amen.

© Ship of Fools 2016