Thread: Purgatory: The God Particle Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001235

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

Can anyone explain in lay person's terms to me, what's the big deal with the Higgs Boson? I'm not a scientist and scientific jargon goes over my head.

[ 05. January 2015, 21:08: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

Basically, the existence of the particle is predicted by the main theory that's used to explain how sub-atomic particles behave to create the world as we know it.

Apparently it's the only type of sub-atomic particle which has been predicted but hasn't been observed. If they find it, it's another thumbs up for the theory. On the other hand, if it's proven not to exist, then that common theory has to be thrown out.

EDIT: Apparently, one of the key things it's needed for is to explain why anything has mass!

[ 04. July 2012, 02:56: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

I don't really get it either. But like orfeo says its a big deal because it could prove existing theoretical frameworks.

Alister McGrath talks about it and its relation to "faith" here.

Like God, it's the best explanation for existing data. But it hasn't been proven yet (or something)

[ 04. July 2012, 03:05: Message edited by: Evensong ]

Posted by no_prophet (# 15560) on :

On the CBC radio, in between tornado warnings and lightening crackles on the drive home tonight, they said it is about a subatomic energy particle that magically (my word) becomes matter. And one of those interviewed said some scientists call it the 'god damn particle' because of the difficulty detecting its one trillionth of second existence.

If I believed in a God with complete control and involvement in the world perhaps I could believe the storms were a commentary on the scientists' boldness in claiming to have captured God in their particle colliding machines, or I could consider The Head of CS Lewis' That Hideous Strength. That is, I think the science is probably another brick in the wall of knowledge, but is is not the wall itself.

The God Particle is a catchy book title that stuck. As Wikipedia indicates, a lot of scientists really dislike the name because it completely overstates the importance of the particle. It's important yes, but I doubt that any physicist would claim that it has anything to do with explaining/proving/disproving God whatsoever.

[ 04. July 2012, 03:35: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

Yep, the name "God Particle" does over egg the importance a wee bit.

In physics you have two significant concept - fields and particles. A field is something that is spread out and affects all sorts of things - think "magnetic field" or "gravitational field". Particles are discrete packets of mass/energy. One of the profound insights that built the Standard model is that fields and particles are not seperate - the effect of a field is mediated by particles, the effect of particles behaves like a field. The Higgs field, mediated by the Higgs boson, is the theoretical explanation for mass - in a very crude illustration it's like a viscous liquid that 'drags' on particles with massive particles being 'dragged' more, except that the 'drag' isn't related to motion (if that makes any sense).

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Metro the other day used the analogy that it was like a group of zombies crowding around particles and slowing them down - the bigger particles were slowed down, the smaller ones slipped through.

Warning: I have just about no understanding of physics at all.

M.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I was just watching a news item about this a minute ago, and was wondering if anyone was talking about it here. Are they announcing it soon?

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

As far as I can tell the announcement will be a carefully balanced mix of "we have made an important scientific advance which means we are much surer the Higgs boson exists" and "more research is needed to confirm exactly what we've found".

Evidence here:
quote:
"if and when a new particle is discovered, it will not be clear straight away that it is the Higgs. Physicists will need to characterise its properties in order to confirm whether it is the version of the Higgs predicted by the Standard Model, a "non-conformist" Higgs that hints at new laws of physics, or something else entirely.

This will involve years of detailed and difficult work, said Dr Tony Weidberg, a University of Oxford physicist and member of one of the LHC's experimental teams, Atlas."

Being roughly translated, this means "please extend our research funding by a few more decades".

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
orfeo: If they find it, it's another thumbs up for the theory.
The funny thing is: no scientist is really happy with this theory (the Standard Model). I guess quite a number of them were hoping not to find the Higgs boson, so that they could throw it out.

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The God Particle is a catchy book title that stuck. As Wikipedia indicates, a lot of scientists really dislike the name because it completely overstates the importance of the particle. It's important yes, but I doubt that any physicist would claim that it has anything to do with explaining/proving/disproving God whatsoever.

Originally posted by LeRoc:
The funny thing is: no scientist is really happy with this theory (the Standard Model). I guess quite a number of them were hoping not to find the Higgs boson, so that they could throw it out.

I'm not sure why anybody ever called this the "God particle", that really is a bad name. And as a former high energy particle physicist I bet some money against colleagues over a decade ago that the Standard Model would hold, based on the sophisticated "theory" that nature dislikes the aestheticism physicist have used to extend their theories in the complete absence of data, and is about to teach us a painful lesson...

However, if the Standard Model holds and if we find the corresponding Higgs (rather than say supersymmetry and the Higgs belonging to that), then a massive so-called "fine tuning problem" arises. The universe as we find it would be incredibly unlikely, in the sense that some parameters would have to have very precise values or otherwise the world would not be as it is. "Fine tuning problems" are by many considered to be circumstantial evidence for the existence of God. Certainly one can understand that a omnipotent and omniscient Designer could adjust all of the universe's settings to highly specific values. And alternate explanations rely on unobserved entities in a way that one can consider at least as "fantastic", e.g., the idea that there is an infinite number of universes co-existing, that cover all possibilities, of which we happen to inhabit the one which allows us to come into being.

So, if the Standard Model holds true and its Higgs is found, then talk of a "God particle" may not be entirely unjustified after all...

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

Alan Cresswell
Very interesting information - wish I'd learnt more about Physics when I was younger!

Re the 'God particle': Just adding one more small point to the references made above - I understand the publishers thought the book would sell better if it was called 'The God Particle' and not the 'Goddam; one!!

Posted by Yorick (# 12169) on :

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
...alternate explanations rely on unobserved entities in a way that one can consider at least as "fantastic", e.g., the idea that there is an infinite number of universes co-existing, that cover all possibilities, of which we happen to inhabit the one which allows us to come into being.

Nonsense- that is not at all fantastic. It makes obvious sense that I'm English, because I happened to be born in England. We happen to inhabit this universe, so it's totally non-fantastic that it is a universe in which conditions are supportive of our being here to observe it. The probability of this universe being just right is 1. It is a certainty.

Yes, this does not speak to the possibility of countless other universes, in which conditions were not quite right, but the fact that we are in this one is totally non-fantastic.

quote:
IngoB: And as a former high energy particle physicist I bet some money against colleagues over a decade ago that the Standard Model would hold
At this very same moment, somewhere deep underground with the LHC at CERN in Geneva:

- Professor Verrücktowicz! Professor Verrücktowicz! We found the Higgs boson! See? It's there, without a doubt!

- Donner und Blitzen! This means that we're going to lose our bet with IngoB. Quick, cover it up! We can always say that it's too many sigma's.

(I'm sorry, but this works best with the standard German mad scientist accent [Biased] )

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
However, if the Standard Model holds and if we find the corresponding Higgs (rather than say supersymmetry and the Higgs belonging to that), then a massive so-called "fine tuning problem" arises. The universe as we find it would be incredibly unlikely, in the sense that some parameters would have to have very precise values or otherwise the world would not be as it is.

This is true, but it's hardly significant. Had any of those values been different then the universe would have been different. Maybe intelligent life would never have evolved. Maybe life wouldn't have evolved at all. Maybe matter wouldn't even have coalesced into stars and planets.

The parameters were what they were, and here we are. But that's only significant if you think that life as we know it was the deliberate end point of the universe, rather than something that evolved to fit the parameters that already existed.

A puddle is just an amount of water filling a depression in the ground. Imagine someone saying "that depression must have been deliberately created to be exactly that shape, or else the puddle couldn't have existed!" - they'd be laughed at because it's obvious that the puddle merely followed the existing contours. Nobody thought up the specific shape of puddle and then carved the earth in just the right way to create it - it just happened that way because that's the way it happened to be.

So it is with this universe. Attempts to prove that intelligent "fine tuning" must have been involved so as to produce the universe we see are like attempts to prove "fine tuning" must have been involved to produce the exact puddle that is observed.

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
...alternate explanations rely on unobserved entities in a way that one can consider at least as "fantastic", e.g., the idea that there is an infinite number of universes co-existing, that cover all possibilities, of which we happen to inhabit the one which allows us to come into being.

Nonsense- that is not at all fantastic. It makes obvious sense that I'm English, because I happened to be born in England. We happen to inhabit this universe, so it's totally non-fantastic that it is a universe in which conditions are supportive of our being here to observe it. The probability of this universe being just right is 1. It is a certainty.

Yes, this does not speak to the possibility of countless other universes, in which conditions were not quite right, but the fact that we are in this one is totally non-fantastic.

Yup.

quote:
orfeo: The probability of this universe being just right is 1. It is a certainty.
But to me, this doesn't answer the question: "Why is the Universe like this?"

I know that for a lot of people, it answers the question. They never succeeded to convince me.

Ah, we have confirmation [Smile]

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

Not quite. I rest my case
quote:
More work will be needed to be certain that what they see is a Higgs, however.
[Big Grin]

quote:
BBC news, quoted by Eutychus: More work will be needed to be certain that what they see is a Higgs, however.
I have no problem with that. I'm not in the 'scientists are money wolfs' camp.

I heard that Peter Higgs was present at the CERN press conference. That's nice.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

IngoB, Yorick, Marvin

Have you slipped into Anthropic Principle territory? Or am I also guilty of talking nonsense? It's this stuff about fine tuning and puddles!

The universe is, and is also extremely unlikely? But then if it wasn't this way, there wouldn't be observers to observe it and realise just how unlikely it is? Is that a reasonable summary?

So, so far as God and God-particles go, this connection between "is" and "is extremely unlikely" tells us ....

that maybe we're on the edge of a Dead Horse?

[ 04. July 2012, 09:53: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

In other words, we might be on an extreme end of a reality bell curve. But we are there. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
The universe is, and is also extremely unlikely?

But that's just it. This is no dichotomy. The universe is NOT extremely unlikely. Life is not extremely improbable- it is absolutely inevitable! The 'fine tuning problem' is therefore not a problem if you allow that the conditions which exist do in fact exist, which seems pretty straightforward. (And this is not a tautological thing if we can allow that other universes are theoretically possible in which the conditions are not suited to life.)

Sigh. The comments about fine-tuning were thoroughly predictable...

Now, the real deal is something like this: You observe someone flipping a coin. It's heads. He does that another 52 times. Every single time it comes up heads. Now, admittedly, the probability of this happening is one, because it just did. Also, admittedly, this could happen by pure chance with a regular coin. Nevertheless, you would have to be positively demented to not suspect that there is some trick to all this.

To complete the analogy to science, we would have the case that we are only allowed to see these 53 coin throws. We do not get to see any other. But somehow we are allowed to study those 53 throws as much as we want. And we are allowed to look at all other stuff happening at the same time, in particular also at other stuff falling etc. Maybe this happens on Groundhog Day and we are re-living the same reality over and over again. Whatever.

What we would likely get then is some theory about how this coin throw universe works. But we would have a problem. The "Standard Model of coin throws" is predicting that there should be a 50:50 chance for heads, making 53 consecutive heads not impossible but highly unlikely. For a while we entertained the "Supersymmetry Model of coin throws", which claimed that both sides of the coin actually were heads. However using a very, very expensive Low-latency High-res Camera (LHC) we were able to look at the coin sides in mid-throw and have now confirmed at 5 sigma that the sides are different, that there is a so-called "Tails" side as predicted by Peter Tails almost 50 years ago.

At which point someone may argue that if the Standard Model holds true, then maybe this is evidence for some higher power making the bloody coin come up heads all the time. Oh no, say others, we have no evidence for that. After all, we are only observing these 53 throws, we are not observing any other throws. Hence while in some abstract sense the probability of this happening is ridiculously low, in fact the probability of it happening is one, since it does. Right? Right. True enough to be irrefutable in an ultimate sense. Still, that remains a positively demented position to take. Because if the Standard Model holds, then that abstract sense of probability does apply. While we do not see all the other possibilities, in terms of that model they do exist as virtual possibilities, making the likelihood of what we see ridiculously low. It then remains reasonable to assume that there is some trick beyond the Standard Model happening there, whatever it might be. And if no trick is ever found in nature that would explain this, then it is reasonable to assume that the trick is happening beyond nature. Unless that is impossible (or at least even less likely in some sense or the other). But this has not been demonstrated.

Posted by George Spigot (# 253) on :

@no_prophet

To quote Philip Purser Hallard:

quote:
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.)

IngoB, your coin-tossing analogy doesn’t work here. You make it seem that there’s a possibility that the result could be anything other than 53 heads, but this is not the case, so although it may seem remarkable that all 53 throws come up heads, it actually isn’t. It is not demented to think there’s no trick involved.

You claim that the conditions necessary for the emergence of life are hugely improbable compared with all other alternatives for the universe that we may imagine. But this is a meaningless comparison. You claim that 53 heads is too improbable when one of those throws may have resulted in a tails. But none of those throws could have resulted in tails, or else the conditions would not have been met. In other words, 53 heads were certain, since the possibility of existence in which any tail are thrown is nil.

I can’t remember the source, but one of the Copenhagen crowd famously said that those who struggle with how mathematically unlikely this universe is (and therefore how Special it must be) fail to take into account all the other universes that didn’t make it. That’s a LOT of coin throws.

My understanding of probability and how it relates to evidence for god is cobbled together from the internet and pub conversations but here is the jist of it. Imagine if i took a normal pack of cards, shuffeled them and began to deal. The odds of dealing thirteen specified cards are about 635,000,000,000 to one. Nobody would look on in awe and tell me I just did the impossible and insist there must be something supernatural going on.

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

Yorick wrote:
quote:
I can’t remember the source, but one of the Copenhagen crowd famously said that those who struggle with how mathematically unlikely this universe is (and therefore how Special it must be) fail to take into account all the other universes that didn’t make it. That’s a LOT of coin throws.

Ah yes - the supernaturalist explanation. I'm impressed! Though I must admit that in a (fantasy) world of orbiting teapots, invisible pink unicorns and four-sided triangles, an infinite number of non-existent universes probably rates as small beer.

Actually, I may believe you, but it does rather drive a coach and horses through William of Ockham's little idea.

[Puts on Host Hat
Think I'll leave it here. Another round or two may see the clear emergence of the Dead Horse, but there are other things to talk about re Higgs Boson so it seems fair to allow a bit of scope. B62 Purg Host. Takes off Hat]

And speaking of which ..

Would I be wrong in assuming that this is not the end, nor even the beginning of the end, but it may turn out to be the end of the beginning? That is, a case can now be made for both continuing long term research - and maybe even bigger and better atom-smashers and particle colliders?

In short, do these latest results look like keeping particle physicists in employment for quite a long time to come? Are there already plans to do more?

quote:
IngoB, your coin-tossing analogy doesn’t work here. You make it seem that there’s a possibility that the result could be anything other than 53 heads, but this is not the case, so although it may seem remarkable that all 53 throws come up heads, it actually isn’t. It is not demented to think there’s no trick involved.

You claim that the conditions necessary for the emergence of life are hugely improbable compared with all other alternatives for the universe that we may imagine. But this is a meaningless comparison. You claim that 53 heads is too improbable when one of those throws may have resulted in a tails. But none of those throws could have resulted in tails, or else the conditions would not have been met. In other words, 53 heads were certain, since the possibility of existence in which any tail are thrown is nil.

Also to quote Wikipedia:

quote:
When a sequence of independent trials of a random process is observed to contain a remarkably long run in which some possible outcome did not occur (for example, when a roulette ball ended up on black 26 times in a row, and not even once on red, as reportedly happened on August 18, 1913, in the Monte Carlo Casino[295]), the underrepresented outcome is often believed then to be more likely for the next trial: it is thought to be "due".[296][297][298] This misconception is known as the gambler's fallacy; in reality, by the definition of statistical independence, that outcome is just as likely or unlikely on the next trial as always—a property sometimes informally described by the phrase, "the system has no memory".

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
...it does rather drive a coach and horses through William of Ockham's little idea.

I think it’s a perspective thing. Ockham requires that the simplest explanation is the most likely to be true. From my perspective, a) is a simpler explanation than b), where: a) an infinite number of universes is theoretically possible, of which only one exists because it is the only one in which the conditions are right for life;
b) God created this universe.

The problem with perspective is that we tend to look out from our own eyes. It doesn’t strike me that my existence is the least bit unlikely, even though every single one of my ancestors had to survive and breed successfully in order for me to be here- the odds of which must be gazillions to one against. And the reason it doesn’t seem all that unlikely is that, well, I’m here, aren’t I?

To add: sorry for this tangent, B62 and everyone. I will stop now!

quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
My understanding of probability and how it relates to evidence for god is cobbled together from the internet and pub conversations but here is the jist of it. Imagine if i took a normal pack of cards, shuffeled them and began to deal. The odds of dealing thirteen specified cards are about 635,000,000,000 to one. Nobody would look on in awe and tell me I just did the impossible and insist there must be something supernatural going on.

I think your argument relies on a pack of cards being the same class of thing as a universe. Theories about card shuffling are accessible to us by testing empirically, hence (if your stated odds are correct), we can demonstrate that. Universes are not even accessible to us observationally. We are existent within a minute part of one, and can only observe even a tiny part of that. Theories about multiple universes are simply speculation. So I think your analogy falls at this point. It's not really a question of supernaturalism or not, unless of course you consider absolutely everything beyond the reach of empirical science to be supernaturalism.

(The "supernaturalist explanation" comment in my reply to Yorick was a little joke for his personal appreciation as I'm sure he realised)

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
[Puts on Host Hat
Think I'll leave it here. Another round or two may see the clear emergence of the Dead Horse, but there are other things to talk about re Higgs Boson so it seems fair to allow a bit of scope. B62 Purg Host. Takes off Hat]

Sorry, what precisely is the supposed DH here? Fine-tuning? Identified as DH according to which of the criteria?

quote:
To add: sorry for this tangent, B62 and everyone. I will stop now!

Erk! Sorry from me too. I'll shut up right now.

Creation and evolution, IngoB. And as I said, the conversation was not there yet. Just kind of "hanging around in the wings" ..

Or so I thought. 'Twas a little steer, no more.

Here's the kind of stuff I had in mind.

An afterthought, for Yorick and Honest Ron.

I think it's fine to discuss Anthropic Principle aspects as a quite properly related tangent here, provided that the topic does not drift into the creation and evolution Dead Horse. You've both been around long enough to steer around a fine distinction. I hope you can see the point.

It's a marginal issue, but I suppose it might be worth a bit of canter around in the Styx if any of you would like that.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

Yup. I feel this is clear and fair, and there's no need for Stygian canteration. Um. Canterage?

Thanks B62.

Posted by EtymologicalEvangelical (# 15091) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick
Life is not extremely improbable- it is absolutely inevitable!

Unfortunately for you, you have committed one of the major fallacies of reasoning, which is confusing necessary and sufficient conditions.

Fortunately for me, I don't give a fuck.

Posted by Think² (# 1984) on :

I just want to stick my oar in about one principle of scientific endeavour. Nothing has been proved, support has been provided for the alternate hypothesis. Experimentation can only ever disprove - not prove.

This matters; for the public understanding of science (its why we can't prove with certainty such and such a thing is safe), and it matters in understanding why in a few decades time there will be a paradigm shift and the standard model will become "wrong".

quote:
You make it seem that there’s a possibility that the result could be anything other than 53 heads, but this is not the case, so although it may seem remarkable that all 53 throws come up heads, it actually isn’t. It is not demented to think there’s no trick involved.

Of course something else could have been the case, both in the analogy and in reality. The important question there is what the "could" gets defined by. And - as explicitly pointed out - it does get defined by the model one builds, i.e., by the understanding one has of the world. That which we think is true about a coin toss makes it not only entirely possible that some other result than 53 heads in a row could occur, it indeed makes that exceedingly likely. Of course, we could be mistaken in our understanding of a coin toss. That is just what stands behind building different models of explanation: a model where both sides of the coin show heads finds it very easy to explain 53 heads in a row. But within the terms of any one model it is the role of reason to explore whether it is a likely explanation of what we see in the world. This process we call science.

quote:
But none of those throws could have resulted in tails, or else the conditions would not have been met. In other words, 53 heads were certain, since the possibility of existence in which any tail are thrown is nil.

This simply is demented reasoning. I am not asking the question "How likely is it that observers observe themselves to be in a universe that allows the existence of observers?" Clearly that is certain in an entirely trivial way. I am asking the question: "Given what observers understand about the functioning of the universe they find themselves in, how likely would it have been that the same functional mechanisms could have produced universes that do not support observers (and yes, hence would not be observed)?" If the answer to this is "exceedingly likely" then these observers can be considered "incredibly lucky" to exist, according to their own understanding of how the world works.

As already mentioned, the probability estimate is based on virtual worlds, on those that could exist - according to our understanding - but do not. We do not need to observe these virtual worlds, indeed, obviously we cannot. Our conclusion is in no way or form restricted by the fact that in those virtual worlds observers could not exist.

quote:

You clearly do not realize that this - unattributed and paraphrased - comment presupposes exactly the logic I have laid out above, unlike your response. The "many universes" explanation precisely reflects the force of the argument I'm making here. That is sensible, even though the given explanation is not particularly compelling. The "many universes" idea tries to deal with the problem of likelihood by saying that while the chances are 10^16 to one (or whatever), there are also a huge number of worlds (usually an "infinite" number gets claimed), so that we should not be particularly surprised that one of them ends up like ours. In response to the infinitesimal likelihood, the sample size got cranked up astronomically. This is no denial of infinitesimal likelihood, this is the obvious "statistical" fudge for it! Unfortunately, to posit a huge or even infinite number of entities that are unobserved, and by definition always will remains so, is hardly satisfying. That really is spitting Ockham in the face...

quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
Imagine if i took a normal pack of cards, shuffeled them and began to deal. The odds of dealing thirteen specified cards are about 635,000,000,000 to one. Nobody would look on in awe and tell me I just did the impossible and insist there must be something supernatural going on.

Say you have no clue about poker whatsoever, but you are given a videostream where you can see countless games being played by top level players, including the chips that get exchanged. Slowly you begin reconstructing the basic rules of poker from your observations, and even start to understand some of the "higher rules" that govern these games. Then one day you see someone getting three royal flushes in a row, taking all the chips available in the process. Are you perhaps a little bit suspicious? In spite of this having the same probability as any other three sets of cards?

The point is that the very thing you have been using to understand what poker is, what the basic hands are, how the money is paid out, what strategies are successful, is nothing but tracking statistics and finding patterns. Now you get a totally crass statistic and pattern, and suddenly you are supposed to stop thinking this way and merely consider this as a "random event". Well, if this is "random", then why not all the other stuff that you have been tracking? Perhaps there is no poker being played here, perhaps it's all just random and just by pure chance it all looked as if it was going according to some set of rules. Is that not possible? It sure is. Why should you suddenly stop doing what you have been doing? If you just maintained your usual approach, you could come to the conclusion that there may be some entity you will tentatively call "card shark" which has manipulated the usual distribution of cards in order to achieve this totally unlikely event. And would that not be a reasonable thing to propose?

The natural scientific reaction to seeing patterns is to seek an explanation. Every pattern could be random, but if the odds are so terribly against it then we expect there to be an explanation. Furthermore, this incredibly unlikely pattern occurs in a context of already established meaning. It's not just any pattern. Just like a royal flush is not just any arrangement of cards. It's what wins you the money for sure. If you see it three times in a row to get all the money, you must wonder. Hence practically no scientist would accept that the Higgs really has been fine-tuned by chance. There must be something going on there.

One could declare all of science and technology to be a gigantic gambler's fallacy, which will begin to unravel any moment now as this incredibly unlikely series of events which made the universe look very regular comes to an end. But while that is possible, it is just not reasonable to think that way.

quote:
Ockham requires that the simplest explanation is the most likely to be true. From my perspective, a) is a simpler explanation than b), where: a) an infinite number of universes is theoretically possible, of which only one exists because it is the only one in which the conditions are right for life; b) God created this universe.

It is a thoroughly ridiculous definition of simplicity, which considers an infinity of utterly unobservable causes to be "simpler" than a single cause that potentially could be observed in some of its effects.

Posted by EtymologicalEvangelical (# 15091) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick
Fortunately for me, I don't give a fuck.

An interesting variant of "I admit I'm wrong".

Well thought up.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Prof Brian Cox (pbuh) said it's the most significant discovery in his lifetime, he's very excited.

[Smile]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Alan Cresswell
Very interesting information - wish I'd learnt more about Physics when I was younger!

Re the 'God particle': Just adding one more small point to the references made above - I understand the publishers thought the book would sell better if it was called 'The God Particle' and not the 'Goddam; one!!

HA!

I was just about to say, "I bet Michael Crichton loves the name..."

Posted by Balaam (# 4543) on :

Peter Higgs postulated the existence of a particle. Years later scientists find something very similar. But even if the particle is identical to Higgs hypothesis, expect the particle to be named after someone in the team that found it.

After the euphoria dies down the name Higgs Boson will be history.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Prof Brian Cox (pbuh) said it's the most significant discovery in his lifetime, he's very excited.

[Smile]

That may be but someone said that this is only one side of the rubic cube. There are another five sides to discover.

Posted by redderfreak (# 15191) on :

What's god got to do with the Higgs boson? It's just a couple of words we've come up with to describe something we hope to see.

Oh my goodness. The shirt I pulled out of the cupboard this morning more or less at random fits me PERFECTLY. It's INCREDIBLE!

[Biased]

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Surely the fine-tuning thing is an example of selection bias. The only people who can look at the parameters are people for whom they were finely tuned to the point that they came into being. It's like concluding that 9 out of 10 Americans own a Justin Bieber album because 90% of respondents to a survey in "17" magazine answered that way.

[ 05. July 2012, 01:49: Message edited by: mousethief ]

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
I just want to stick my oar in about one principle of scientific endeavour. Nothing has been proved, support has been provided for the alternate hypothesis. Experimentation can only ever disprove - not prove.

It is, of course, even worse than that. Not only can't we prove anything we can't disprove something either (after all, 'disprove' is simply prove something is wrong).

The CERN announcement amounts to saying we have very strong evidence of a previously unknown particle existing with a mass of 125GeV. Even the 5 sigma criterion they've applied is a relatively low level of statistical significance (similar to the odds of tossing 20 heads in a row), and a statistical fluke is still a remote possibility. The evidence that this is the Higgs is even weaker, and the subsequent chance that it's a different particle correspondingly high.

The theory predicts certain properties for the Higgs boson. One of those is mass (and, the theory is particularly weak at predicting it's mass - which is one reason it's taken so long to find). There are other properties of the particle, such as how it's expected to decay, that are much harder to measure than mass. We'll need a lot more data to determine those other properties to a level of statistical significance that would enable us to more from "we've discovered a particle with a mass of 125GeV" to "we've discovered the Higgs boson". And, the chances are high that some measured properties of the particle are slightly different from the theoretical predictions - which then raises the question "have we found the Higgs, and the theory is slightly wrong, or have we found a different particle that happens to have very similar properties to the Higgs?"

Posted by agingjb (# 16555) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
Peter Higgs postulated the existence of a particle. Years later scientists find something very similar. But even if the particle is identical to Higgs hypothesis, expect the particle to be named after someone in the team that found it.

After the euphoria dies down the name Higgs Boson will be history.

Very few particles are named after people, but then most of them come in families. If this new particle is in fact the carrier, or whatever the term is, of the Higgs field, then I'd expect it to keep the name.

But a precedent: the Yukawa meson was predicted, but the first candidate discovered turned out to be the unrelated mu particle (not a meson but a lepton). The pion, which eventually fulfilled Yukawa's prediction is not generally called the Yukawa particle (and it's not actually fundamental).

So I imagine the theorists will look closely at the new thingy to see whether it fits the Higgs prediction, or is something completely new.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Even the 5 sigma criterion they've applied is a relatively low level of statistical significance (similar to the odds of tossing 20 heads in a row), and a statistical fluke is still a remote possibility.

Don't knock it Alan. Why, merely another thirty-three tossed heads would prove the existence of God!

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

quote:

[Smile]

Being pretty doesn't make you right.

quote:
The natural scientific reaction to seeing patterns is to seek an explanation. Every pattern could be random, but if the odds are so terribly against it then we expect there to be an explanation. Furthermore, this incredibly unlikely pattern occurs in a context of already established meaning. It's not just any pattern. Just like a royal flush is not just any arrangement of cards. It's what wins you the money for sure. If you see it three times in a row to get all the money, you must wonder. Hence practically no scientist would accept that the Higgs really has been fine-tuned by chance. There must be something going on there.

The two statements I've highlighted point to where your argument falls down. You are assuming that life as we know it was the pre-determined "royal flush" of existence from its very start, and that the Higgs must therefore have been fine tuned to achieve that extremely unlikely end.

But that's not the case, because there is no "already established meaning" to the universe. The universe is like a card game for which there are no rules and in which no particular hand is better than any others, just different. Sure, the hands that got dealt over time happened to result in us. And I reckon that's a good thing. But it's only a miraculous coincidence if that's what the players were trying to achieve in the first place, and they weren't.

The odds of being dealt the hand 2H 4C 6H 7D 8S are actually longer than the odds of being dealt a royal flush, but nobody says "oh, what an incredible hand" when it happens. It's only the artificial external rules that make those hands unbelievably good or utterly crap, and it's only the perception based on those artificial rules that makes a royal flush appear less likely than the one above - even though the reverse is true.

Take away the artificial perception, and all you've got is something that was bloody unlikely to happen but which nevertheless did. So it is with the universe.

Posted by anteater (# 11435) on :

George Spigot:

quote:
When a sequence of independent trials of a random process is observed to contain a remarkably long run in which some possible outcome did not occur . . . the underrepresented outcome is often believed then to be more likely for the next trial: it is thought to be "due". This misconception is known as the gambler's fallacy; in reality, by the definition of statistical independence, that outcome is just as likely or unlikely on the next trial as always—a property sometimes informally described by the phrase, "the system has no memory"
Whilst not exactly false, it does show how maths lives in a closed world unrelated to the real world. For a more educated view on this, read the discussion on mathematical probability in A. J. Ayer's Language Truth and Logic.

Of course, in the real world, there is a rather greater probability that the repeated result will recur. Since, for example, a dice that comes up six,for 50 throws in a row is very likely to be unbalanced, by accident or design.

[ 05. July 2012, 13:08: Message edited by: anteater ]

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
The two statements I've highlighted point to where your argument falls down. You are assuming that life as we know it was the pre-determined "royal flush" of existence from its very start, and that the Higgs must therefore have been fine tuned to achieve that extremely unlikely end. But that's not the case, because there is no "already established meaning" to the universe. The universe is like a card game for which there are no rules and in which no particular hand is better than any others, just different.

While I privately do believe that the universe does have a (Divine) plan, that was not the point. The point was rather that the Higgs is already an established part of our understanding of the universe. We are not talking about detecting regularity from scratch in a sea of noise. We are talking about detecting it within a detailed network of already established regularities. The problem of fine tuning we are talking about actually is expressed in specific quantum field theoretic calculations (see here), in a system of descriptive maths that has proven ability to predict nature.

That's why it is like detecting three consecutive royal flushes - in the context of reconstructing poker from observations of play - and not like detecting just any random combination of cards at an unspecific time with no context.

Of course, you can argue that the whole enterprise only makes sense because there is such a thing as an overarching "plan" to poker and a poker tournament. Lurking behind the study of countless hours of video footage lies the implicit assumption that somehow there is more than randomness in the card play. Yet the same indeed can be said about natural science. There is an implicit assumption all scientists must make that "interesting" observations are indeed generally signs of meaningful structure, rather than purely random fluctuations of infinitesimal likelihood.

quote:
The point was rather that the Higgs is already an established part of our understanding of the universe. We are not talking about detecting regularity from scratch in a sea of noise. We are talking about detecting it within a detailed network of already established regularities.

All that means is we theorised that a certain particle should exist based on our other observations of the universe, and then we finally detected it. It's a fabulous bit of science, but it's not proof of universal "fine tuning" in the way I thought you were using the term.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

quote:
quote:
The point was rather that the Higgs is already an established part of our understanding of the universe. We are not talking about detecting regularity from scratch in a sea of noise. We are talking about detecting it within a detailed network of already established regularities.

All that means is we theorised that a certain particle should exist based on our other observations of the universe, and then we finally detected it. It's a fabulous bit of science, but it's not proof of universal "fine tuning" in the way I thought you were using the term.
If three of us are sitting around the table, all with Royal Flushes, we can deduce quite a lot about the deck of cards that had been used to deal with. We can even say how unlikely it is that we all have Royal Flushes.

What we can't say is that the dealer meant to deal those cards to us, rather than any other combination of cards.

It could be that the dealer has, in fact, presorted the deck - but we have no way of telling unless two of us both have the Ace of Spades. Since the universe doesn't appear to have an extra Ace up it's sleeve, the dealer remains inscrutable.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
If three of us are sitting around the table, all with Royal Flushes, we can deduce quite a lot about the deck of cards that had been used to deal with. We can even say how unlikely it is that we all have Royal Flushes.

What we can't say is that the dealer meant to deal those cards to us, rather than any other combination of cards.

It could be that the dealer has, in fact, presorted the deck - but we have no way of telling unless two of us both have the Ace of Spades. Since the universe doesn't appear to have an extra Ace up it's sleeve, the dealer remains inscrutable.

Surely the standard reply to the fine-tuning problem is as follows. It's only a universe as fine tuned as ours that can possibly give rise to people who can run around going "Wow! Look at how fine tuned the universe is!" In other words, unlike being dealt a hand at poker, the phenomenon and our tendency to remark on it are actually interdependent.

The nearest analogy I can think of right now is if I were to say, "Isn't it amazing that the word "the" contains the letters t, h and e in precisely that order!" Actually, it's only the fact that I am already an English speaker that enables me to make that remark in the first place.

(I'm sorry if this has already been pointed out in some other terms, but I've been finding bits of this thread difficult to follow. Although a physics graduate, I graduated 30 years ago. Also, I'd have learned a lot more quantum mechanics if our professor had been more interested in teaching than in showing off his cleverness.)

quote:

Actually, the odds of those three royal flushes being dealt are exactly the same as the odds of any other three hands. It's only because an extra significance is attached to that particular combination of cards in advance of the deal that it seems so unlikely.

Take away that pre-defined significance and all you've got is three hands that happened to be dealt the way they were dealt.

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
The nearest analogy I can think of right now is if I were to say, "Isn't it amazing that the word "the" contains the letters t, h and e in precisely that order!" Actually, it's only the fact that I am already an English speaker that enables me to make that remark in the first place.

At some point, all analogies break down and become useless. Both the problem, and the joy of it, is that we look for and find patterns, even when there are none that are purposefully meant: clouds in the shape of animals or faces in the side of a cliff. We say "how remarkable", when the remarkable thing is that we are able to form those associations in the first place.

quote:
quote:

Actually, the odds of those three royal flushes being dealt are exactly the same as the odds of any other three hands. It's only because an extra significance is attached to that particular combination of cards in advance of the deal that it seems so unlikely.

Take away that pre-defined significance and all you've got is three hands that happened to be dealt the way they were dealt.

Which makes the analogy even better! We look for patterns that have meaning. When we find one, we treasure it.

Posted by Crœsos (# 238) on :

quote:

Terry Pratchett got clever in his "About the Author" section along these lines.

quote:
Terry Pratchett lives in England, an island off the coast of France, where he spends his time writing Discworld novels in accordance with the Very Strong Anthropic Principle, which holds that the entire Purpose of the Universe is to make possible a being that will live in England, an island off the coast of France, and spend his time writing Discworld novels. Which is exactly what he does. Which proves the whole business true. Any questions?
Science!

quote:
Which makes the analogy even better! We look for patterns that have meaning. When we find one, we treasure it.

Absolutely!

I'm just saying that we shouldn't assume that that pattern has any significance beyond that which our pattern recognition gives it.

quote:

It is not the existence of the Higgs boson which poses the fine tuning problem. Rather, if the Higgs boson exists as the Standard Model claims, then we get the Hierarchy problem (described in the Wikipedia link in my prior post) and that is a kind of fine tuning problem. My point is that at this stage of discussion we are not looking at random curious events. We are looking at an analysis of nature that has already progressed deeply.

Basically, working from the "known rules", one finds that two conceptionally independent parts of the theory must cancel each other out precisely, to which end one has to adjust a "free" parameter of the theory to a precision of one in 10^16 (or something like that). To ask a working scientist to accept this as "pure chance" is like asking Scrooge McDuck to pay off the US deficit. It's just not going to happen.

quote:
Surely the standard reply to the fine-tuning problem is as follows. It's only a universe as fine tuned as ours that can possibly give rise to people who can run around going "Wow! Look at how fine tuned the universe is!"

As mentioned above, that is just demented reasoning.

quote:
I'm just saying that we shouldn't assume that that pattern has any significance beyond that which our pattern recognition gives it.

I kill anti-realists on sight. I suggest that you attach significance to patterns indicating my presence in your vicinity. Rapidly.

[ 05. July 2012, 16:35: Message edited by: IngoB ]

Posted by Crœsos (# 238) on :

quote:
To ask a working scientist to accept this as "pure chance" is like asking Scrooge McDuck to pay off the US deficit.

Because working scientists are cartoonish fictional caricatures? That seems a bit harsh.

quote:
quote:

I kill anti-realists on sight. I suggest that you attach significance to patterns indicating my presence in your vicinity. Rapidly.
This not denying realism, ie, saying that the data that make up the pattern do not exist. It is saying that the pattern need not have significance.

Constellations being exhibit A. Most constellations consist of stars that are entirely unrelated to each other. A few, or portions of a few, actually do. The stars that make up the patterns require further investigation to determine which is which: we cannot rely on their angular proximity to tell us anything except their angular proximity.

quote:
Oh my goodness. The shirt I pulled out of the cupboard this morning more or less at random fits me PERFECTLY. It's INCREDIBLE!

[Biased]

I like and agree with nearly all your posts but this one isn't worthy of you.

I am not an expert, though i try to keep up - I don't think you've read enough about this subject.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

[Biased]

I am not an expert, though i try to keep up - I don't think you've read enough about this subject.

Really?

I thought the connection between "my shirt fits me perfectly" and "my universe fits me perfectly" was rather obvious in the thread's context.

The key word, of course, being 'my'.

Now if you could peer into another universe and discover that THAT one was ALSO perfect for us, we'd be in damned interesting territory.

quote:
My point is that at this stage of discussion we are not looking at random curious events. We are looking at an analysis of nature that has already progressed deeply.

Yes, we are. But my point is that we're saying "oh, how remarkably unlikely it was that the universe could have produced us!", and attaching some significance to the fact that it did. It's as if we think the universe was somehow trying to produce us.

I'm not denying that it was remarkably unlikely. I'm just saying that those astronomical odds, in and of themselves, don't prove anything. If you deal five cards at random, you will have dealt five cards. That's all. The likelihood of them being any particular hand is exactly the same for all possible hands. It's only when you start pre-assigning significance to certain hands that a royal flush becomes more remarkable than an eight-high.

I'm saying that, in terms of the universe, there is no justification for pre-assigning such significance to the hand that was dealt, just because we happen to be holding it.

quote:
Basically, working from the "known rules",
The "known rules" didn't exist before the creation of the universe. They are our attempt to rationalise the way the universe works. They are us observing patterns in reality, if you will.

quote:
one finds that two conceptionally independent parts of the theory must cancel each other out precisely, to which end one has to adjust a "free" parameter of the theory to a precision of one in 10^16 (or something like that).
Why does that surprise you? To me it's obvious that the universe operates to an inestimable level of precision, because that's what real things do. All of this adjustment of "free" parameters is just us trying to make our calculations fit reality, not reality trying to fit our calculations.

quote:
To ask a working scientist to accept this as "pure chance" is like asking Scrooge McDuck to pay off the US deficit. It's just not going to happen.
It depends what you mean by "pure chance". The universe exists the way it exists. That's fact. And, amazingly, the more accurately we measure it the more accurately "fine tuned" we discover it to be! Is that "pure chance", or is that simply a predictable outcome of our increasing ability to observe things with extreme precision?

quote:
quote:

Eh? I'm not denying reality, I'm disputing your analysis of it. Specifically, I'm disputing the significance you place upon the patterns you observe.

quote:
It's as if we think the universe was somehow trying to produce us.

There's nothing "as if" about that for me... but that just provides motivation for me to make my argument, it is not my argument here.

quote:
If you deal five cards at random, you will have dealt five cards. That's all. The likelihood of them being any particular hand is exactly the same for all possible hands. It's only when you start pre-assigning significance to certain hands that a royal flush becomes more remarkable than an eight-high.

And what I am trying to tell you is that you are engaging in special pleading there. You are not walking through the world expecting everything to be random fluctuations. Wherever science has looked, we have found deep regularities. And where there appears to be true randomness, say in evolution or quantum mechanics, this randomness is in some sense serving the regularities. There really is nothing natural about assuming that two unrelated parts of a theory cancel out perfectly by tuning parameters to 1 in 10^16. Stuff like that screams for an explanation, because all prior experience and understanding suggests that accidents do not happen, at least not in this way.

When you look at a lottery machine or at someone shuffling a deck of cards, it is actually your understanding of how the world works which makes you think that you cannot predict the lottery numbers or the cards being dealt. You expect this randomness, indeed, the contingency is of course designed into these processes. The claim that our fine-tuned existence (if it turns out to be fine-tuned) is like numbers drawn in a lottery is itself a deep statement about the universe, for which no evidence exists. Indeed, in terms of what we usually do when hitting upon exceedingly unlikely events, this claim is very unusual. If we do not understand an unlikely event, then our basic assumption is that something special is going on, not that it is just random.

For example, say I show you a picture of a living room which is filled with the normal collection of molecules and atoms which we would expect to see in its air. But all of them are packed extremely tightly into one corner of the room, leaving the rest in a vacuum. What is your natural reaction? I bet it is to say: "Wow, what kind of pump or force field or whatever dragged all those atoms and molecules into that corner?" But actually, this is simply one possible configuration all these atoms and molecules, as likely as any other. Except that there are myriad others which are all "the same" in the sense of filling the room with air throughout, and this one is special in the sense of not doing so. Still, why attach significance to this? Why? Because unless you understand this to truly be a product of chance, it is a lot more reasonable to go looking for a pump.

quote:
Wherever science has looked, we have found deep regularities. And where there appears to be true randomness, say in evolution or quantum mechanics, this randomness is in some sense serving the regularities. There really is nothing natural about assuming that two unrelated parts of a theory cancel out perfectly by tuning parameters to 1 in 10^16. Stuff like that screams for an explanation, because all prior experience and understanding suggests that accidents do not happen, at least not in this way.

Yes, it does scream for an explanation. And that is your special pleading.

The argument is whether the patterns in and of themselves hold meaning. From a scientific viewpoint, the individual data points that create the pattern need to be examined to see whether or not they influence the other data points and therefore produce a pattern, or whether the pattern is a result of our investing meaning in a normally random distribution of values that just happens to look like it was meant.

It's an inescapable conclusion that the universe in which we live is full of remarkable coincidences right down to the subatomic level. What we can't tell is if those coincidences are specially designed or simply one iteration of a wide set of values for h, c etc.

Posted by IconiumBound (# 754) on :

The randomness vs purposeful has been already (and still is) going on in the epistemology of atheism thread.
I would like some of our resident physicists to give an explanation of how, if it is assumed given, that the Higgs would have evolved from a mass of 125 GeVolts to the universe we know today.

quote:
You are not walking through the world expecting everything to be random fluctuations.

No, I'm not. Because the hand has already been dealt. I'm certainly not saying that the cards, once dealt, can magically change into other cards - that would be crazy.

The hand is what it is. That won't change, and I don't expect it to. All I'm saying is we shouldn't assume any particular "cosmic" significance to the fact that it is what it is.

quote:
Wherever science has looked, we have found deep regularities.
Of course we have! The hand doesn't change once dealt!

quote:
There really is nothing natural about assuming that two unrelated parts of a theory cancel out perfectly by tuning parameters to 1 in 10^16. Stuff like that screams for an explanation, because all prior experience and understanding suggests that accidents do not happen, at least not in this way.
But what is the accident, exactly? We small creatures create crazy theories about the vast universe in which we live, and as we get better and better at doing so we find that our theories seem to come together in minute perfection. But that's just because we're getting better and more accurate at creating theories - it says a lot about us, but not much about the universe.

quote:
The claim that our fine-tuned existence (if it turns out to be fine-tuned) is like numbers drawn in a lottery is itself a deep statement about the universe, for which no evidence exists.
Not really, it's just an answer to those who say that the massive improbability of the universe being in exactly the right state to produce us means there must have been a Creator.

quote:
For example, say I show you a picture of a living room which is filled with the normal collection of molecules and atoms which we would expect to see in its air. But all of them are packed extremely tightly into one corner of the room, leaving the rest in a vacuum. What is your natural reaction?
If the living room is the only one that has ever existed, and the molecules and atoms have never been observed to be anywhere else (despite the theoretical possibility that they could be), then I'd say that's probably the normal run of things. Sure, it's theoretically improbable, but I'll take observation over theory any time [Smile]

[ 06. July 2012, 13:41: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Biased]

Really?

I thought the connection between "my shirt fits me perfectly" and "my universe fits me perfectly" was rather obvious in the thread's context.

Your shirt fits because you bought it.

That is not the same as saying that the shirt started to evolve, before your existence, so that it would fit you.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Biased]

Really?

Your shirt fits because you bought it.

That is not the same as saying that the shirt started to evolve, before your existence, so that it would fit you.

But the point is exactly the same, leo, the point being that the selection has already been made before the moment of my new, exciting observation. Of course the universe we're in is going to be one we CAN be in. Otherwise we wouldn't be in it. And of course the shirt I pull out of my cupboard will be suitable for me, otherwise it wouldn't be in the cupboard.

All the other shirts that wouldn't fit me were not selected to go into the cupboard, and all the universes that wouldn't have worked for us are not the one that we'll find ourself in.

[ 06. July 2012, 16:07: Message edited by: orfeo ]

That doesn't seem right to me though i can't put my finger on the reason.

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

Comment on a side concept: If three out of four players have royal flushes, the fourth player presumably also has one.

It will be interesting to see whether this announced discovery turns out to be all that is hoped. In the era since the development of quantum theory, it is not a great surprise to find evidence of some weird particle once, as there is some chance of almost anything happening; it is a different matter to find a body of evidence that adds to the catalog of predictable behavior.

quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
Comment on a side concept: If three out of four players have royal flushes, the fourth player presumably also has one.

Not at all. Taking three royal flushes out of a deck of cards still leaves 37 other cards in the deck.

If you'd put your cards down for a minute to answer a question.

Presuming the Higgs Boson has been found, does that make the existence of the graviton more or less likely?

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

quote:
quote:

[Smile]

Being pretty doesn't make you right.
Or being young! If he'd been a bit older he would've been much more excited about the mobile phone or the PC or the flush toilet....

I'm really enjoying this thread. But I just can't get the little tune out of my head:
'We're here because we're here because
We're here because we're here.......'
[Big Grin]

quote:
It's an inescapable conclusion that the universe in which we live is full of remarkable coincidences right down to the subatomic level.

This is hardly an inescapable conclusion, even if you were not mixing levels of description - which you are: even if we accept that quantum mechanics has a truly random element, that does not tell us at all that Planck's constant has acquired its value randomly.

quote:
What we can't tell is if those coincidences are specially designed or simply one iteration of a wide set of values for h, c etc.

It is not that simple. To return to my example: practically all random distributions of air molecules in a closed room will lead to one specific macroscopic state of the room up to negligible fluctuations: the same temperature and pressure throughout, and invariably that particular temperature and pressure. There is only an infinitesimally small fraction of distributions which differ drastically, e.g., the one where all molecules are squeezed into a corner of the room. It is for this reason that we can and do confidently use the ideal gas law (or more sophisticated macroscopic descriptions): while there is a chance that we are utterly mistaken in applying this macroscopic law, the chance of that is so ridiculously tiny that for all intents and purposes it is insane to worry about it. With regards to the fine-tuning problems we are in the situation that (1) we think that we understand the system, and (2) it appears to be arranged in a ridiculously improbable way. Practically all other arrangements which we see as just as probable based on our understanding of the system consistently lead to an outcome that we do not observe. It is as if we get to see one snap shot of the room, with all air molecules cramped into one corner of the room, while being fully aware just how ridiculously unlikely that is considering key macroscopic features. "WTF?" really is the natural reaction to this.

And since we are at it: the role of the anthropic principle in this analogy is as follows. Assume now that the room is really huge, and you are standing in the corner of the room where (supposedly by chance) all air molecules have squeezed in. It is this arrangement which allows you to breathe normally, almost all distributions of molecules would leave you with practically no air to get into your lungs. Assuming (for the sake of the analogy) that the one breath you can take allows you to live long enough to understand the movement of air molecules, what can you say? Well, it is true that the only reason why you can wonder about this particular distribution of molecules is because it occurred: otherwise you would be dead. In that sense, it is necessary. However, that is not really an explanation of this distribution. It remains incredibly lucky, in terms of your survival, that this has happened.

You have now basically three options: 1) You can take the non-rational "brute fact" stance. Yes, in terms of your survival this was incredibly lucky, but so what? It happened, there's no deeper reason, congratulations on winning the lottery. 2) You can take the rational "multiverse" stance. No, actually this was not particularly lucky, since there is actually an incredibly large number of such rooms, albeit unobserved, and in almost all of these the molecules are spread out and the occupant is lying on the ground, blue in the face. It just so happens that you had the one draw out of many that was otherwise. 3) You can take the rational "Creator" stance. No, this wasn't lucky at all. God arranged it to be like this.

I don't think that one can "prove" any one of these. But I think that one can argue that 3) is way better than 2) in terms of parsimony. And I think that one can argue that 1) is non-rational (though not irrational). It is not an "explanation" really, it's simply the refusal of one. So if one asks what the best rational explanation is, and I very much do ask that question, then in my opinion 3) is looking like the clear winner.

quote:
But what is the accident, exactly? We small creatures create crazy theories about the vast universe in which we live, and as we get better and better at doing so we find that our theories seem to come together in minute perfection. But that's just because we're getting better and more accurate at creating theories - it says a lot about us, but not much about the universe.

Nope. It says a lot about the universe, since our theories are not crazy at all, we are getting better and better at them and it is wondrous that they come together in minute perfection. While I agree that humans have plenty of limitations, I do believe that human understanding is - or at least can be - an accurate reflection of how the universe in fact exists. It is not that I'm optimistic that we will understand all there is, but I'm indeed optimistic that what we think we understand in some sense we really do understand. It's not just a bunch of made-up stories.

quote:
Not really, it's just an answer to those who say that the massive improbability of the universe being in exactly the right state to produce us means there must have been a Creator.

Well, I have never said that this will provide proof in an absolute sense. There is an infinitesimal probability for this to happen even if all is entirely random, so that it has happened cannot rule out absolute randomness. But I think it is non-rational (not irrational) to insist on such absolute randomness.

quote:
If the living room is the only one that has ever existed, and the molecules and atoms have never been observed to be anywhere else (despite the theoretical possibility that they could be), then I'd say that's probably the normal run of things. Sure, it's theoretically improbable, but I'll take observation over theory any time [Smile]

The judgement that this is incredibly improbable is based on observation. If you want to stick to the analogy, then you have been witnessing enough of molecular motion to infer that the state you are observing is truly exceptional in a macroscopic sense. Fine-tuning problems concern natural laws established by the efforts of many researchers using countless observations. They are not pulled out of thin air.

I'm wondering. Suppose that our telescopes would find a galaxy at billions lightyears of distance, and within one arm of this galaxy, there would be a grid of 300x100 lightyears, where the stars are neatly aligned to form the words 'Marvin the Martian is a cool guy'.

What would Marvin's reaction to this be? "This arrangement of stars is just as likely as any other arrangement?" "There's nothing improbable about this, the hand has already been dealt?"

I'm not saying that this would prove the existance of God, but it sure would make me think: "There's something fishy going on here."

So, let's go for a minute to the hypothetical case that the Universe is created by an intelligent being. What would be sufficient proof for Marvin the Martian that it was? (Short of God appearing before him and saying that He did it.)

quote:
I do believe that human understanding is - or at least can be - an accurate reflection of how the universe in fact exists. It is not that I'm optimistic that we will understand all there is, but I'm indeed optimistic that what we think we understand in some sense we really do understand. It's not just a bunch of made-up stories.

No it's not, and that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is our theories are our way of trying to understand what already exists, and as such as we get better at measuring, the more accurate (and thus apparently "fine-tuned") the universe will appear to be.

A rock weighs what it weighs. We can measure it to the nearest kilogram or to the nearest microgram, but it's still the same rock and it's still the same weight. The fact that the rock happens to be exactly the weight we measure it to be doesn't mean it was deliberately created to be exactly that weight.

quote:
But I think it is non-rational (not irrational) to insist on such absolute randomness.
Sometimes things just are the way they are.

quote:
The judgement that this is incredibly improbable is based on observation.
It's not, though. We have never once observed a universe where the Planck constant is different. We can theorise about such a universe, but that's not the same thing at all.

quote:
If you want to stick to the analogy, then you have been witnessing enough of molecular motion to infer that the state you are observing is truly exceptional in a macroscopic sense. Fine-tuning problems concern natural laws established by the efforts of many researchers using countless observations. They are not pulled out of thin air.
If you think it's so clear-cut that alternative states of our universe could exist, then please provide examples. But bear in mind that saying something like "what if the Planck constant was different" doesn't count, because the Planck constant (or any other fundamental physical constant) was created by us as a means of explaining what already exists. There's no evidence whatsoever that it could be different. To me, asking what would happen if such constants were different is like asking "what if blue was red?".

quote:
I'm wondering. Suppose that our telescopes would find a galaxy at billions lightyears of distance, and within one arm of this galaxy, there would be a grid of 300x100 lightyears, where the stars are neatly aligned to form the words 'Marvin the Martian is a cool guy'.

What would Marvin's reaction to this be? "This arrangement of stars is just as likely as any other arrangement?" "There's nothing improbable about this, the hand has already been dealt?"

If it could be proved that there wasn't a problem with the observation itself, then yes I would probably see it as a (very strange) natural phenomenon.

After all, the ancients saw all sorts of common pre-existing shapes - bulls, crabs, snakes, horses, men - in the pattern of the stars. Our language and alphabet is just one more collection of pre-existing shapes. Who's to say that there isn't a constellation that says 'Marvin the Martian is a cool guy', just in a language we haven't developed yet?

Just because we as a species see the shapes of bulls in the stars and faces on Mars doesn't really mean anything.

quote:
So, let's go for a minute to the hypothetical case that the Universe is created by an intelligent being. What would be sufficient proof for Marvin the Martian that it was? (Short of God appearing before him and saying that He did it.)
None. You can't prove God through scientific observation, you can only believe in Him through faith.

quote:
Marvin the Martian:
Just because we as a species see the shapes of bulls in the stars and faces on Mars doesn't really mean anything.

Your moving away from the premise a bit by referring to other languages and paleidolia. To make my example more clear: the stars are arranged in a grid that spells this sentence exactly, in a 8x8 font (like the ones we used in 80s home computers), accurate to the last millimeter. There's no interpretation here, the stars write exactly that, and in English.

quote:
Marvin the Martian: You can't prove God through scientific observation, you can only believe in Him through faith.
I agree. That's why my example is hypothetical. Suppose that our Universe is created by an intelligent being (not necessarily God). Would anythong prove to you that it was?

quote:
To make my example more clear: the stars are arranged in a grid that spells this sentence exactly, in a 8x8 font (like the ones we used in 80s home computers), accurate to the last millimeter. There's no interpretation here, the stars write exactly that, and in English.

What's so special about English, or this specific sentence, or an 8x8 font?

Wouldn't the greater wonder be that we have developed a way of writing words that exactly matches the shape - when observed from exactly this planet - of a (hitherto undiscovered) collection of stars?

In earthly terms, the stars would always have been there. They would have been making the shape that we would recognise as 'Marvin the Martian is a cool guy' in 8x8 font since before the concept of language, never mind English or fonts, had even existed. It would be we who had adapted (or evolved) to match them, not them to us.

quote:
Suppose that our Universe is created by an intelligent being (not necessarily God). Would anythong prove to you that it was?
I thought I'd already answered that. No.

[ 11. July 2012, 14:43: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

quote:
We have never once observed a universe where the Planck constant is different. We can theorise about such a universe, but that's not the same thing at all.

Indeed, it is not the same thing. But reason is not really constrained by observation in that sense. It would make science rather boring if it was merely an organized catalogue of prior observations. It is a major point of science that we gain understanding beyond what has been observed. Otherwise for example we could never predict anything.

Much of modern science is based on models with parameters, and "fundamental constants of nature" and "natural laws" are mostly just fancy words for the most essential parameters and models we have come up with. This is important because it is a typical feature of parameters that they really are variables of some other model. So for example, I may consider your body mass to be a parameter of my Newton mechanics model with which I calculate your position when running. But this parameter "body mass" is then a variable in a different model that considers your metabolism and food intake. At this point in time, many scientists still hope that eventually all will be explained in terms of one "theory of everything" that needs very few "truly fundamental constants" - or even better none at all!

But anyhow, the point is that the fine-tuning problem precisely consists in models ("natural laws") having parameters ("fundamental constants"), which will lead to something like the observed universe only if their value is incredibly precisely the one we find. Since these are in fact models with parameters, we can easily imagine alternate universes by simply giving the parameters other values. This is entirely reasonable in terms of these models, as long as there is no clear reason why the parameters must have the specific value we observe.

quote:
If you think it's so clear-cut that alternative states of our universe could exist, then please provide examples. But bear in mind that saying something like "what if the Planck constant was different" doesn't count, because the Planck constant (or any other fundamental physical constant) was created by us as a means of explaining what already exists.

Hence obviously saying "what if the Planck constant was different" counts just as much as saying "what if the Planck constant is 6.62606957×10^−34 Js", which is what we currently base our predictions on. In making models (laws) of the world, we are what-if-ing their parameters (constants). That's precisely why we then try to measure them! We do not need to measure the square root of two if it occurs in our theories, we know what that is. We must measure the Planck constant precisely because it could have other values than the one we find.

quote:
There's no evidence whatsoever that it could be different. To me, asking what would happen if such constants were different is like asking "what if blue was red?".

Excellent example. What distinguishes blue from red is simply the frequency with which the electromagnetic waves oscillates. That's a parameter. And if we have a parameter, then we can change it. Unless we see a good reason why we can't do this. Not only is it perfectly valid to ask what if blue was red, i.e., what if the frequency of light was two-thirds of what we observe? We can go even further, and predict the existence of infrared, with even lower frequencies than red. Or violet and ultraviolet light with even higher frequencies than blue. We may even daringly think of X-rays and microwaves. All just because we have a model (electromagnetic waves) with a parameter (frequency). And the one thing every scientist who sees a parameter immediately thinks is "What if this has a different value?"

And before you complain, yes, I know that you meant this as an absurd question. But my point is that you are being unfair. Even if we do never observe any light but blue, because there only ever is one flash of light and it happens to be blue, it remains reasonable to ask "what if that flash was red instead?" At least that is reasonable if we have come to an understanding of the actual flash of light in terms of electromagnetic waves of a certain frequency. Because in terms of that model, we see the clear possibility of red light, even if there never was such a thing or ever will be. Still the model does not say why that flash was blue. It says it could have been red. So why was it blue? There must be some other reason here that I can find, which determines the frequency. Let's see, where did the flash come from. Anything in the origin perhaps that determined frequency? No? Are there other objects interfering? No? Is my measuring apparatus compromised? No? Can I modify my wave model so that it has only one frequency? No? Does maybe spacetime have a property that will dampen other frequencies? No?... That's scientific thinking. That sort of uniqueness, weirdness is what we wish and pray for every day. Mostly we have a lot less to work with. As soon as we find anything like that, unrelenting effort is poured into tracking down something, anything, that explains this. It is our game.

Fine-tuning (if there is any...) may not be a serious challenge to the atheism of most atheists. But it sure is to the atheism of scientists, as is evident by the invention of the multiverse.

quote:
So for example, I may consider your body mass to be a parameter of my Newton mechanics model with which I calculate your position when running. But this parameter "body mass" is then a variable in a different model that considers your metabolism and food intake.

OK, let's use that example. My body mass affects my body position when I run (model 1), and it is determined by my food intake and metabolism (model 2). Two different models, one parameter.

Now, if scientist 1 were to observe me and, from those observations, measure as precisely as modern science is able every other variable in model 1, she would be able to calculate my body mass. And if scientist 2 were to observe me and, from those observations, measure as precisely as modern science is able every other variable in model 2, he would also be able to calculate my body mass.

When those two scientists share their results, they will find that this parameter "body mass" that they have both independently calculated happens to be exactly the same in both their models! Oh, what were the odds! This must mean something!

And yes, it does mean something. But nothing profound - it just means they were both looking at the same person. Just like all scientists are looking at the same universe. So why are they so surprised when their parameters end up being exactly the same?

quote:
At this point in time, many scientists still hope that eventually all will be explained in terms of one "theory of everything" that needs very few "truly fundamental constants" - or even better none at all!
That's pretty much what I'm saying, yes. Not that I'm confident we'll ever be clever enough to actually work it out, of course, but I'm sure it's possible for a sufficiently advanced being. Just like measuring the diameter of the planet to the nearest angstrom would be possible to a being that had sufficiently advanced measuring equipment.

quote:
Hence obviously saying "what if the Planck constant was different" counts just as much as saying "what if the Planck constant is 6.62606957×10^−34 Js", which is what we currently base our predictions on.
Granted.

quote:
In making models (laws) of the world, we are what-if-ing their parameters (constants). That's precisely why we then try to measure them! We do not need to measure the square root of two if it occurs in our theories, we know what that is. We must measure the Planck constant precisely because it could have other values than the one we find.
Could it? I mean, it only has existence as a way to make our models work - it's the ultimate fudge, a way to say "my model doesn't work properly, but if I arbitrarily multiply by this number it's close enough".

quote:
And before you complain, yes, I know that you meant this as an absurd question.
I anticipated the comeback, though. I originally typed it as "square circle", but you'd doubtless have brought up non-euclidian geometry if I had [Biased] .

quote:
But my point is that you are being unfair. Even if we do never observe any light but blue, because there only ever is one flash of light and it happens to be blue, it remains reasonable to ask "what if that flash was red instead?" At least that is reasonable if we have come to an understanding of the actual flash of light in terms of electromagnetic waves of a certain frequency.
The fundamental constants aren't like that though, they're not simply one value along a known continuum. They are what they are.

quote:
When those two scientists share their results, they will find that this parameter "body mass" that they have both independently calculated happens to be exactly the same in both their models! Oh, what were the odds! This must mean something!

That's not what the fine-tuning problem is like. Or more precisely, nobody has been able to come up with a good reason why it should be like that in this case. Or even more precisely, some people have come up with a totally speculative reason why it could be like that in this case, but it now looks like this reason is going to get killed by recent data. The fine-tuning problem in this case consists in different processes cancelling each other out exactly although nobody understands why they would. We just don't have the equivalent to "but it is the same mass in the two models, since it is the same person, isn't it?" at hand. It is precisely the lack of such an explanation which drives this discussion.

Obviously, what most scientists, including yours truly, expect is that there is some "natural law type reason" for this. We are not just assuming instantly "it must be God". That's not at all what I'm trying to sell here. What I'm talking about is the "all else fails" scenario. What if we really cannot come up with anything resembling a normal physical theory that would explain this? What are the options then, and how would scientists typically rate them?

quote:
Not that I'm confident we'll ever be clever enough to actually work it out, of course, but I'm sure it's possible for a sufficiently advanced being. Just like measuring the diameter of the planet to the nearest angstrom would be possible to a being that had sufficiently advanced measuring equipment.

Interesting. What would be a "natural" reason why you would expect there to be a parameter-free, unifying theory of everything?

quote:
I mean, it only has existence as a way to make our models work - it's the ultimate fudge, a way to say "my model doesn't work properly, but if I arbitrarily multiply by this number it's close enough".

That's precisely why it could have some other value. As long as it is a "fudge", there is no reason why it would have to have any particular value, and so we have to measure it. Of course, in term of observed reality it then does have one specific value (if our model is any good). But nothing in the model itself tells me that this specific value must be, so it is entirely reasonable to ask what the impact of some other value would be.

quote:
The fundamental constants aren't like that though, they're not simply one value along a known continuum. They are what they are.

Everything is what it is. That is what "is" means. Still, the question "Why is it is as it is?" can have a meaningful answer.

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

There is NOTHING significant in fine tuning in an eternity of concurrently infinite universes.

However in a single, finite universe where Fermi's paradox operates, there is.

Posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus (# 2515) on :

quote:
Sorry, what precisely is the supposed DH here? Fine-tuning? Identified as DH according to which of the

People who couldn't even derive the Heisenberg uncertainty principle from Schroedinger's equation making ex-cathedra pronouncements about Quantum Mechanics.

quote:
A rock weighs what it weighs. We can measure it to the nearest kilogram or to the nearest microgram, but it's still the same rock and it's still the same weight. The fact that the rock happens to be exactly the weight we measure it to be doesn't mean it was deliberately created to be exactly that weight.

Indeed, there is a lump of metal, in Paris, I believe, that happens to weigh *precisely* 1 kilogram. Precisely!

Seems remarkable until you realise the kilogram was defined as the mass of this lump of metal...

I'm with you all the way on this one, Marvin. A theory fitting together neatly merely shows that we've been quite good at making the observations necessary to create the theory.

quote:
Marvin the Martian: I thought I'd already answered that. No.
Alright, let me try something else. From your screen name I understand that you appreciate science fiction, so maybe this will help.

Marvin, I'm actually not supposed to tell you this, but you were born in another universe. A universe that is really nice, without pain, sorrow, hunger... Also, all beings in your universe are very powerful. However, there is one setback. In your universe, there is a race called the Vortians. Normally they're really nice, but when you get in trouble with them, they can get really crossed.

You got in trouble with them. To punish you, they created another universe -this universe- with all its pain, sorrow and hunger, and they banished you here. They wiped all your memories of your earlier existance, and they put you here to suffer and ultimately die.

First, the Vortians said to themselves: "We have to be careful. We have to make sure that we don't put anything in that universe that's improbable, or Marvin will be on to us." But one of them said, "Nah, that won't be necessary. Marvin will never be convinced that he lives in a constructed universe, no matter what we do."

So, they decided to play with this a little. In the next years of your life, Marvin, you will see a number of things, in increasing improbability. You'll see your name written in the stars. You'll see a room with all air molecules at one side. You'll see dancing unicorns moving synchronously to form a perfect dodecahedron.

None of this will convince you that you live in a constructed universe. You'll always answer with things like:

"This arrangement is just as likely as any other."

"There's nothing improbable with this, the hand has already been dealt."

"This is all paleidolia. What's so special about these letters?"

"Wouldn't it be a greater wonder that humans thought of an animal -a unicorn- that exactly matches the image I'm seeing now?"

And every time you say something like this, the Vortians will be laughing their three-buttocked asses off.

What you're telling me, is that the Vortians will always succeed. No matter what they do, you'll never suspect that you're living in a constructed universe.

quote:
Indeed, there is a lump of metal, in Paris, I believe, that happens to weigh *precisely* 1 kilogram. Precisely! Seems remarkable until you realise the kilogram was defined as the mass of this lump of metal...

So, if we knew nothing about the kilogram, but found out that all over the world in many national scientific institutes there are these spheres of metal that happen to weigh exactly the same, up to the very limits of measurement technology (*), we would be justified in assuming that this is not an accident - because that would be so incredibly unlikely - but rather that this has been intentionally made to be so by some agent, probably an international organization?

That's a rather good analogy for the fine-tuning argument, indeed. Thanks.

---
(*) Actually, measurement technology now can detect such small weight shifts in all these sphere, as compared against each other, that we cannot seem to control the remaining coming and going of atoms. That's one of the reasons why people are trying to define the kilogram in terms of physical processes rather than specific objects.

All such analogies fail because we know the kilogram was invented by a cognitive agent. To use them as analagous to the universal constants is to presuppose that they are the same sort of thing, which is to say it is circular. In putting them forth as similar, we are smuggling in the conclusion namely that the world was created by an intelligent agent. If it wasn't then they're not similar at all.

ETA: except perhaps in the emotions they produce in human beings. Which proves zilch-all.

[ 12. July 2012, 07:21: Message edited by: mousethief ]

quote:
mousethief: All such analogies fail because we know the kilogram was invented by a cognitive agent.
But I'm with IngoB: suppose that we'd visit a lot of planets, and on every planet we'd find a rock that weighs exactly 1 kg. Exact to 20 number after the decimal point. Surely we'd suspect that something is going on here.

quote:
quote:
Marvin the Martian: I thought I'd already answered that. No.
Alright, let me try something else. From your screen name I understand that you appreciate science fiction, so maybe this will help.

Marvin, I'm actually not supposed to tell you this, but you were born in another universe. A universe that is really nice, without pain, sorrow, hunger... Also, all beings in your universe are very powerful. However, there is one setback. In your universe, there is a race called the Vortians. Normally they're really nice, but when you get in trouble with them, they can get really crossed.

You got in trouble with them. To punish you, they created another universe -this universe- with all its pain, sorrow and hunger, and they banished you here. They wiped all your memories of your earlier existance, and they put you here to suffer and ultimately die.

First, the Vortians said to themselves: "We have to be careful. We have to make sure that we don't put anything in that universe that's improbable, or Marvin will be on to us." But one of them said, "Nah, that won't be necessary. Marvin will never be convinced that he lives in a constructed universe, no matter what we do."

So, they decided to play with this a little. In the next years of your life, Marvin, you will see a number of things, in increasing improbability. You'll see your name written in the stars. You'll see a room with all air molecules at one side. You'll see dancing unicorns moving synchronously to form a perfect dodecahedron.

None of this will convince you that you live in a constructed universe. You'll always answer with things like:

"This arrangement is just as likely as any other."

"There's nothing improbable with this, the hand has already been dealt."

"This is all paleidolia. What's so special about these letters?"

"Wouldn't it be a greater wonder that humans thought of an animal -a unicorn- that exactly matches the image I'm seeing now?"

And every time you say something like this, the Vortians will be laughing their three-buttocked asses off.

What you're telling me, is that the Vortians will always succeed. No matter what they do, you'll never suspect that you're living in a constructed universe.

Wow. This was kind of... Gnosticism combined with The Matrix. Nice!

quote:
quote:
mousethief: All such analogies fail because we know the kilogram was invented by a cognitive agent.
But I'm with IngoB: suppose that we'd visit a lot of planets, and on every planet we'd find a rock that weighs exactly 1 kg. Exact to 20 number after the decimal point. Surely we'd suspect that something is going on here.
But we haven't visited a lot of planets. You're saying in certain circumstances we would draw such-and-such conclusions. That's interesting but immaterial. We're not in those circumstances and cannot be given our current technology.

It's just not analagous; again, the conclusion is built into the premise. Your thought experiment is designed in such a way as to draw us to that conclusion. You might as well ask, if you find yourself in a situation that was designed to make it look like there was a God, wouldn't it be reasonable to think there is a God? Um, yeah. So what?

quote:
mousethief: But we haven't visited a lot of planets. You're saying in certain circumstances we would draw such-and-such conclusions. That's interesting but immaterial. We're not in those circumstances and cannot be given our current technology.
Alright, we're getting closer now. I'm not trying to answer the question "Is this universe created by God?" The conclusion I want to draw is an answer to the question: "Is there any way the universe could be, so that we would draw the conclusion that it was created by an intelligent being?"

Marvin's answer to this question is "No", and I disagree with him. There are some ways that the universe could hypothetically be, that would lead us to the undeniable conclusion: "This isn't natural. There's something going on here."

quote:
mousethief: You might as well ask, if you find yourself in a situation that was designed to make it look like there was a God, wouldn't it be reasonable to think there is a God? Um, yeah. So what?
The thing is: in Marvin's reasoning, no situation, however designed, would make it look to him like the Universe was created by an intelligent being. He said so here.

Hard to know what words to use here.

For those who believe in the multiverse, or believe it is a very reasonable view to take, then the "instance" of the multiverse which we inhabit might well be regarded as "special to us". The issue I suppose for the Deist POV is, does that infer "specially made and/or sustained"?

I think the Occam's Razor argument is saying that the multiverse theory is a way of preserving an entity (the multiverse itself) large enough to allow for the possibility that this "instance" of the multiverse could arise randomly, without any "intelligent or super-intelligent" shaping. Whether you regard that as an "unnecessary positing of pluralisms" depends on whether you see the multiverse as "simple" i.e. not a pluralism at all but simply a description of "all there is, seen and unseen".

So whether Occam's Razor applies depends on how you see the multiverse. A theoretical description or a theoretical rationalisation to avoid the, to some folks, "difficult" possibility that the universe we inhabit arises as a result of special creation by a "Super-intelligent Mind"?

That issue isn't going to get resolved in a hurry! Personally, I'm comfortable with the Deist position as reasonable. Faith comes into play most evidently when considering the proposition, based on human experience and observation, that this posssible "Super-intelligent Mind" might also be "Benevolent".

quote:
paleidolia

One of my favorite words is pareidolia (the ususal spelling- though I think it's sometimes written your way). Thanks for using it.

And my thanks to everyone for making an effort with their posts on this thread (especially Marv and IngoB), which I'm finding exceedingly interesting- though I have nothing useful to add.

Classic SoF thread. Awesome quality of contribution. Cheers.

quote:
Yorick: One of my favorite words is pareidolia (the ususal spelling- though I think it's sometimes written your way). Thanks for using it.
Oops, my mistake [Hot and Hormonal] At least the way I spelled it looks like pareidolia, and there's no coincidence about that [Smile]

quote:
We just don't have the equivalent to "but it is the same mass in the two models, since it is the same person, isn't it?" at hand. It is precisely the lack of such an explanation which drives this discussion.

It's the same universe, isn't it? Things run according to the same basic physical processes across the whole thing. The same forces act on all models.

quote:
Obviously, what most scientists, including yours truly, expect is that there is some "natural law type reason" for this. We are not just assuming instantly "it must be God". That's not at all what I'm trying to sell here. What I'm talking about is the "all else fails" scenario. What if we really cannot come up with anything resembling a normal physical theory that would explain this? What are the options then, and how would scientists typically rate them?
Is not one of the options "we simply aren't capable of working this out"? Or are we as a species being so arrogant that we assume if we can't see it it doesn't exist?

quote:
Interesting. What would be a "natural" reason why you would expect there to be a parameter-free, unifying theory of everything?
As you say later, everything is as it is. All our models, all our calculations, are just our attempts to analyse and explain it. And if we were ever able to perfectly explain it, we wouldn't need the fudges.

quote:
But nothing in the model itself tells me that this specific value must be, so it is entirely reasonable to ask what the impact of some other value would be.
If it were some other value, then one of the other parameters in the model would have to change to make the model fit reality. And as we can actually measure those other parameters we know that's not possible.

quote:
Marvin's answer to this question is "No", and I disagree with him. There are some ways that the universe could hypothetically be, that would lead us to the undeniable conclusion: "This isn't natural. There's something going on here."

But all of them require temporary fundamental changes to the basic laws of physics. As opposed to observing stuff that happens all the time.

I mean, yes in a universe where gas molecules invariably spread out and fill a room finding a room where they're all (apparently naturally) bunched up in one corner would be mind-blowingly bizarre and would require some hard examinations of the room and/or our models. But that doesn't actually happen outside of our own imaginings. It's not a real situation. And if we can't currently explain why the molecules never bunch up like that despite it being theoretically possible, that's because our theories are incomplete.

We can discuss the hypotheticals until we're blue in the face, if that would make you happy. I could proclaim that I would consider God's hand in creation proved if an Asian elephant jumped through my office window and recited the Desiderata, if you like. But what would that prove? It's a stupid, never-going-to-happen scenario that says nothing about the universe we actually live in. And on science threads I prefer to talk about real things.

quote:
Marvin the Martian: I could proclaim that I would consider God's hand in creation proved if an Asian elephant jumped through my office window and recited the Desiderata, if you like. But what would that prove? It's a stupid, never-going-to-happen scenario that says nothing about the universe we actually live in. And on science threads I prefer to talk about real things.
But maybe, just maybe there might --and I stress again: might-- be something about this Higgs boson that would be faintly equivalent to your Desiderate-singing elephant. It's not just Ingo saying that, I've read it on other sites as well.

I actually have a post-doctoral degree in Particle Physics (like Ingo does), but it's too long ago for me to really be able to make an assessment of this. But the way I understand it, there might be something fishy about all of this.

In this case, it wouldn't be a theoretical, never-going-to-happen scenario after all. Wouldn't that be interesting?

quote:
And my thanks to everyone for making an effort with their posts on this thread (especially Marv and IngoB)

Why thank you. It's quite humbling to know that at least one person thinks I, a mere bachelor of biochemistry, can hold my own in a physics debate against someone who not only holds multiple degrees in the subject but actually does it for a job! In theory I shouldn't be able to hold a candle to his understanding of these issues - wait, does that mean the theory is wrong, or that there's another Hand in all this? [Biased] [Razz]

quote:
But maybe, just maybe there might --and I stress again: might-- be something about this Higgs boson that would be faintly equivalent to your Desiderate-singing elephant. It's not just Ingo saying that, I've read it on other sites as well.

Part of the elephant analogy was the fact that we know elephants can't jump high enough to get through this window, are too large to get through it even if they could, and can't speak.

It's entirely possible I've missed something about the Higgs, but I was led to understand that it isn't proving that the impossible is actually possible in the same way as the elephant would - rather, it's proving correct one particular theory about reality.

quote:
Wouldn't that be interesting?
Hell yeah, it's interesting. But it's the interest that comes from finding out more about how the world really works.

quote:
Even if we do never observe any light but blue, because there only ever is one flash of light and it happens to be blue, it remains reasonable to ask "what if that flash was red instead?" … we see the clear possibility of red light, even if there never was such a thing or ever will be. Still the model does not say why that flash was blue. It says it could have been red. So why was it blue? There must be some other reason here that I can find, which determines the frequency.

I think this gets to the heart of it. When you see blue light, you wonder why it’s blue, and there then begins a toppling of speculative dominos. When I see blue light, I think, ‘Oh, look at that lovely blue light’. I don’t particularly worry about why it isn’t red.

For some people, I think God scratches the ‘why’ itch. That’s it, really.

quote:
And if we can't currently explain why the molecules never bunch up like that despite it being theoretically possible, that's because our theories are incomplete.

Brownian motion.
quote:
I could proclaim that I would consider God's hand in creation proved if an Asian elephant jumped through my office window and recited the Desiderata, if you like. But what would that prove? It's a stupid, never-going-to-happen scenario
Any fule kno Indian elephants speak Hindi [Biased]

quote:
Marvin the Martian: I was led to understand that it isn't proving that (...) it's proving correct one particular theory about reality.
More or less. It gives some evidence to support the Standard Model of particle physics, although there are other problems with this model as well.

But I also understand that there's more about the Higgs boson than just that. I'm definitely not qualified enough to explain to you exactly what it is, maybe Ingo could do a better job than I.

I recently read this interview with Stephen Wolfram (not a small name), and he also suggests that there are some quite unsuspected things about the Higgs boson, especially on page 3 of the interview.

Could they be a DSE? (Desiderate Singing Elephant) I don't know. But I don't rule out that they could exist, at least hypothetically.

quote:
Marvin the Martian: Hell yeah, it's interesting. But it's the interest that comes from finding out more about how the world really works.
With this I definitely agree.

quote:
Balaam: Any fule kno Indian elephants speak Hindi [Biased]
[Big Grin] Fortunately, my experience is that there are a lot of Indian scientists in the field of Participle Physics, so they could translate.

[ 12. July 2012, 11:12: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
All such analogies fail because we know the kilogram was invented by a cognitive agent. To use them as analagous to the universal constants is to presuppose that they are the same sort of thing, which is to say it is circular. In putting them forth as similar, we are smuggling in the conclusion namely that the world was created by an intelligent agent. If it wasn't then they're not similar at all.

Bullshit! The point of the fine-tuning argument is simply that the observation of any incredibly unlikely arrangement in nature suggests that intentional action has been involved, rather than the mere workings of chance. It is a type of design argument. Whether you think this kind of argument has any merit or not, it is essentially independent of the type of arrangement, as long as that arrangement is incredibly unlikely. There is absolutely no a priori reason why it cannot be applied to "universal constants". All this changes is the type of intentional agent that will be inferred by virtue of the argument. In the case of kilogram spheres, we can infer the existence of an international scientific organisation. In the case of universal constants, we can (perhaps) infer the existence of God. There may be something wrong with this type of argument in general, or with the argument as made in a particular case. But what is definitely not wrong is that it can be targeted at all sorts of arrangements and hence all sorts of agents.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
But we haven't visited a lot of planets. You're saying in certain circumstances we would draw such-and-such conclusions. That's interesting but immaterial. We're not in those circumstances and cannot be given our current technology.

Perhaps you have not been reading this thread. Please do so. Then you will realize that a major part of the discussion that has so far happened precisely concerned the question whether we have visited lots of planets and found exactly one kilogram rocks in all of them - analogically speaking - or not. I have argued, fairly convincingly in my opinion, that the current state of scientific play indeed is equivalent to this having happened. I have not argued that this proves God, simply because I think we have not sufficiently excluded alternative explanations yet to make this the most reasonable conclusion. But the hierarchy problem of the Higgs mass is very real indeed, it is not a figment of imagination and it is accessible, and in the process of being accessed, with current technology.

quote:
It's the same universe, isn't it? Things run according to the same basic physical processes across the whole thing. The same forces act on all models.

So what? That doesn't make the Hodgkin-Huxley model of action potential generation look anything like the Lagrangian density of quantum chromodynamics. Neither does it imply any explicit connections between the entities in these theories, between the manner one calculates with them, between the experimental approaches to them ... Sure, at some totally abstract and ridiculously remote level they have something to do with each other by virtue of talking about the same universe. But we are here not talking at all about such an abstruse connection. We are talking about something very concrete happening in one and the same "conceptual space" of science, which appears incredibly unlikely and hence demands some kind of explanation within that same "conceptual space". Assume we can describe the neuronal firing of the neurons in your brain with a suitable modified Hodgkin-Huxley theory operating on a massive directed graph. If now all 10^10 or so neurons in your cortex suddenly decide to synchronously fire, with their interspike intervals encoding a Shakespeare sonnet, then it is entirely valid to say "WTF is going on here?" in terms of Hodgkin-Huxley alone, without any reference to quantum chromodynamics.

quote:
Is not one of the options "we simply aren't capable of working this out"? Or are we as a species being so arrogant that we assume if we can't see it it doesn't exist?

I can't speak for our species, but I sure am personally arrogant enough to assume that we, collectively, are capable of working out the core physical principles of the universe. I guess that attitude is an occupational hazard...

quote:
And if we were ever able to perfectly explain it, we wouldn't need the fudges.

Again, what makes you say this? Or in other words, from whence comes the judgement that a model with parameters describing only a part of the universe is a "fudge"? I'm trying to get you to see that there are some very deep assumptions about the structure of the world that we all tend to make. It's just that with scientist they come to the fore.

quote:
If it were some other value, then one of the other parameters in the model would have to change to make the model fit reality. And as we can actually measure those other parameters we know that's not possible.

That's a pointless comment. If the parameter was different, reality would be, too. We are not talking about the actual world here, but about virtual ones. Those that we can consider in terms of the models we construct.

quote:
I mean, yes in a universe where gas molecules invariably spread out and fill a room finding a room where they're all (apparently naturally) bunched up in one corner would be mind-blowingly bizarre and would require some hard examinations of the room and/or our models. But that doesn't actually happen outside of our own imaginings. It's not a real situation. And if we can't currently explain why the molecules never bunch up like that despite it being theoretically possible, that's because our theories are incomplete.

No, Marvin, the point is that what we have found is mind-blowingly bizarre and does require some hard examinations of the data and/or our models. This has in fact happened, OK? By the best lights of current science, we are looking at something specific and are going "WTF? No way." That is very real. Now, scientists are not going into panic mode about this. Almost everyone in the field currently assumes that eventually we will understand this, in terms of some better model. Though unfortunately our best shot at this, which was highly speculative, is currently being killed by incoming data. But while we think that eventually this fine-tuning will "go away", somehow, we don't know that it will. And anyhow, at least this gives us a motivation to discuss what it would mean if some fine-tuning didn't.

quote:
I think this gets to the heart of it. When you see blue light, you wonder why it’s blue, and there then begins a toppling of speculative dominos. When I see blue light, I think, ‘Oh, look at that lovely blue light’. I don’t particularly worry about why it isn’t red.

Well, I am a scientist.

quote:
For some people, I think God scratches the ‘why’ itch. That’s it, really.

Sure. But while "I don't give a shit." ends all manner of arguments, it does not prove them wrong.

quote:
Sure, at some totally abstract and ridiculously remote level they have something to do with each other by virtue of talking about the same universe. But we are here not talking at all about such an abstruse connection.

I was.

quote:
We are talking about something very concrete happening in one and the same "conceptual space" of science, which appears incredibly unlikely and hence demands some kind of explanation within that same "conceptual space".
It's only so unlikely if it's actually possible for other states to exist. Not theoretically possible, but actually possible.

The difference, of course, being that we can theorise virtually anything. We can imagine a world where magic exists, but that doesn't make a world where it doesn't exist (i.e. this one) any less likely or probable.

quote:
Assume we can describe the neuronal firing of the neurons in your brain with a suitable modified Hodgkin-Huxley theory operating on a massive directed graph. If now all 10^10 or so neurons in your cortex suddenly decide to synchronously fire, with their interspike intervals encoding a Shakespeare sonnet, then it is entirely valid to say "WTF is going on here?" in terms of Hodgkin-Huxley alone, without any reference to quantum chromodynamics.
Oh come now, that's hardly fair. I might be holding my own about physics but I've got no chance if you start bringing neuroscience into the mix! [Eek!]

It sounds like you're proposing a variation of the DSE LeRoc and I were talking about earlier, but I can't be sure.

quote:
quote:
And if we were ever able to perfectly explain it, we wouldn't need the fudges.

Again, what makes you say this? Or in other words, from whence comes the judgement that a model with parameters describing only a part of the universe is a "fudge"?
In my current job I report on student numbers. Now, the data is often imperfect, with missing or inconsistent data, and because of that I occasionally have to add little dummy bits of data into the model in order to get the calculations to add up to what I know is the right answer (because the overall number of students is a known fact).

BUT - if the data collection, entry and processing was perfect then I wouldn't need those little fudges. Everything would add up perfectly no matter which way I sliced it or where I approached it from.

I guess I'm seeing this thread in the same way. If our collection, entry and processing of data about the universe was perfect, then everything would add up perfectly whichever way we looked at it, and we wouldn't need the little fudges that currently make our models work.

quote:
We are not talking about the actual world here, but about virtual ones. Those that we can consider in terms of the models we construct.
Yes, I know. That's part of what I've been saying. We theorise about all these purely virtual worlds that are completely different to our own, and then we say "how incredible it is that our world, out of all these possibilities, is the one that exists". And we never actually stop to wonder whether those possibilities - which we created as thought experiments - were actually possible in the first place.

quote:
No, Marvin, the point is that what we have found is mind-blowingly bizarre and does require some hard examinations of the data and/or our models. This has in fact happened, OK? By the best lights of current science, we are looking at something specific and are going "WTF? No way."
Are we? LeRoc's earlier link to an interview with Stephen Wolfram suggests more of an "oh, we were right. That's nice" response.

quote:
LeRoc's earlier link to an interview with Stephen Wolfram suggests more of an "oh, we were right. That's nice" response.

So the question about the Higgs particle was to answer the question, "Is the Standard Model correct." Now that something has been found in the area the Higggs is supposed to be in it looks like the Standard Model is correct.

So the next question is how does gravity fit in with the Standard Model? A question asked in the Wolfram interview LeRoc linked to. The existance, or non-existance of the Graviton would be a more important discovery than that of the Higgs Boson, wouldn't it?

Really, I'm curious.

quote:
Balaam: So the question about the Higgs particle was to answer the question, "Is the Standard Model correct."
The way I understand it, the existence of the Higgs boson implies that the Standard Model has some strange properties. I don't know whether they constitute a DSE, but I'm guessing they could.

quote:
Balaam: So the next question is how does gravity fit in with the Standard Model? A question asked in the Wolfram interview LeRoc linked to. The existance, or non-existance of the Graviton would be a more important discovery than that of the Higgs Boson, wouldn't it?
Short answer: it doesn't. This is one of the obvious flaws of the Standard Model: it doesn't include gravity, and there's no obvious way of including gravity in it.

The discovery of the Higgs boson will undoubtedly lead to a better understanding of the Standard Model. Whether that will make it easier to fit gravity in, I don't know. I have some doubts about it.

[ 12. July 2012, 14:06: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

I know it's just me, the thicko on the bus, listening to his betters, but any single arrangement of the dimensionless constants is extremely unlikely surely ?

The materialist's multiverse then makes every possible arrangement certain.

Including those that 'magically' cancel each other out, whatever they are, either side of some equation ?

That the universe is unique, and therefore thought, is obvious from Fermi's paradox.

Or am I missing something here ?

Posted by Ramarius (# 16551) on :

quote:

Fine-tuning (if there is any...) may not be a serious challenge to the atheism of most atheists. But it sure is to the atheism of scientists, as is evident by the invention of the multiverse.

Whilst I generally avoid the
Daily Mail like the plague, I found this quote from Peter Hitchens quite interesting:

'I have heard otherwise confident unbelievers, asked what their biggest worry is about their own point of view, cite the extraordinarily fine tolerances ( so fine that tiny deviations either way would render the whole thing unworkable) necessary for so many of the functions of the universe as rather disturbing.'

That's been the case since Fred Hoyle and for every generation of rationalists since Marcus Aurelius and before back to Aristotle at least.

Atheist scientists who's materialist faith wavers have always had that doubt, have always been blind men looking for a shadow of doubt, closet wannabe believers. They are not made of sterner stuff like Dawkins and Marvin and Croesos whose frontal lobes aren't polarized (the more they are the more spookable, 'spiritual', superstitious one is - it was on the telly).

It's ALL about disposition kiddies. Always has been. God CANNOT be demonstrated a priori, Thomistically, from an equally random anthropic universe. He CAN from Fermi's paradox, which I know all you clever chaps sneer at, as you want your materialist cake and eat it. The multiverse can't touch it. Can't make this otherwise lifeless, empty universe possible.

Atheists are QUITE rational to proliferate Occam's razor fragments infinitely horizontally rather than break it once vertically, because the God that ensues if you do is not a nice, modern, health and safety liberal. And He's strange. Really, really Other.

Better a quantum perturbation of meaningless existence than all this suffering for His ineffable purpose.

Please stoop to conquer, IngoB. Use finger paint. None of the analogies used so far work at all. They are ... bad rhetoric. It has to be said. And, without rancour, for all your vast intellects, you got nuthin. Nothing a jury could find for. Even a theistic, vitalist one. And if you think you know something but can't communicate it, it's not for any intellectualist reason.

It's because you don't KNOW what you're talking about, except in the Jungian sense. Genius and all.

Materialism makes more sense, is a coherent synthesis which can ONLY be refuted by its own petard - Fermi's paradox - which you ALL laugh at. Why is that ? That's rhetorical.

The antithesis to materialism is that God IS love, love thinking all this, no matter what it looks like. Because it couldn't look any other way.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
The antithesis to materialism is that God IS love, love thinking all this, no matter what it looks like. Because it couldn't look any other way.

The nickname "God particle" for the Higgs Boson makes it seem that somehow finding smaller and smaller particles will somehow prove or disprove the existence of God when it isn't going to make one bit of difference either way.

All the energies in the universe, or multiverse if you like, cancel out to zero, except for the Higgs field which has a value (and in theory at least the Higgs Boson is its own antiparticle - let's see if that is true once they've measured it).

The Higgs field having a value is one of the anomalies in the standard Model. Another anomaly is that the Standard Model doesn't include gravity. The possibility that these anomalies are linked is why I am going on and on about the Graviton.

Finding the Higgs means we could have a slightly more accurate Standard Model. But it is only fine tuning. Finding the Graviton, having a particle that links gravity to the Standard Model, is far more fundamental.

[ETA I have a suspicion that the two anomalies, Higgs field and Graviton, may be linked.]

[ 13. July 2012, 07:21: Message edited by: Balaam ]

© Ship of Fools 2016