Thread: Purgatory: Ghosts Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001237

Posted by sebby (# 15147) on :

I am not sure whether this has been discussed before, but do any shipmates have any experiences that they might refer to as 'seeing a ghost' in the popular understanding of that term, or even accounts of a 'ghost' having been seen by a 'friend of a friend'?

What might the theological views of shipmates be on the possibility of the manifestation of someone's spirit after death?

[ 05. January 2015, 21:10: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

Good question, I have had a couple of psychology instructors that actually believed there is something out there. One of them pointed out while we normally perceive things in three dimensions, there are actually many more dimensions that are out there and from time to time people will experience one of the other dimensions. He said the reason why we do not perceive them normally is because we have not trained out brains to experience these other dimensions.

The other professor who grew up in a pre modern culture in a remote part of the Philippines pointed out that as our culture became more modern we lost the ability to experience other dimensions. If we cannot touch it, it must not be there. He would talk about the fire spirits that would dance on the hills where he grew up. He also would tell stories of how if a person would have a vendetta against some one in the next valley, they could cast a spell on the other person and that person would get sick until the spell is lifted.

While I myself never experienced a ghost, I had a parishioner once told me when I was preaching once she saw a ghost enter my body and remained with me until after I finished the sermon and then it left the sanctuary. I remember that the sermon I preached that day was a very powerful experience, even for me.

She was pretty disturbed by the experience, but I asked her if the ghost was threatening or friendly. As she thought about the experience she said the ghost seemed friendly. As she talked about this more she seemed more settled.

Another experience I had indirectly was a neighbor who felt her house was haunted. While she was not a member of my church, I offered to do a blessing of the home for her. She agreed to do it. There is a blessing of the home in the Occasional Services which I used. After we had the blessing, she said the ghosts seemed to have disappeared.

Posted by Macrina (# 8807) on :

I previously was a complete sceptic; then one night shift my workmates and I all saw the same huge black three dimensional shadow drift down the centre corridor of our care home. I feel lucky that, living in the society I do, I have rarely felt such visceral fear as that thing inspired in me. I don't know what it was and I slept with the lights on for weeks afterwards.

I also occasionally wake up to find people standing in my doorway or over my bed. They disappear once I wake up properly and remember they shouldn't be there. I usually put this down to hypnopompic hallucinations but the reading that I've done suggests to me that seeing actual people and animals isn't what you're supposed to experience so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

First and foremost, I think with any unusual phenomena it's best not to name it too quickly (although I appreciate what the OP is describing).

From what I understand, one explanation has to do with somehow sensing really deep vibrations that occur in nature (& are too low to hear) that our brain interprets as something we should be wary about, and so we see or feel things we can't explain (or even describe sometimes).

Theologically, if it could be proven that people are seeing ghosts in the way that phrase is usually interpreted, it's not too far off from a belief in the Communion of Saints, I should think. After all, whatever "heaven" is, it could easily be an added dimension to our reality.

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

I haven't seen a ghost, but I've seen an angel. [Angel]

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Did you ask it for its ID?

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

I have several friends who saw their parent in the yard (at a bit of a distance) after the parent's death; the effect was a sense of being reassured that the parent was well and happy. "Touched by an angel" TV show sort of seeing -- watch the figure a minute or two, glance away briefly from some reason, look again, no one is there, it's a large private space, there never is a gardener or other such person in that yard.

I volunteer at a community theater. One day I was going to be the one to stay late and do the final cleanup and lockup, so the head box office gal told me about the theater's ghost, in case I ran into him. She described a time couple years ago when she was there late, trying to figure out where she had lost a dollar in the accounts for the evening, when a man walked past her door down the hall, he was short, about 5 foot 4, dressed as if a century ago. (She described him in more detail than this.) She was startled -- the building was empty and locked, who was he what was he doing there? She turned on all the lights but saw no one.

She called the theater manager who asked for a description and then said "don't worry about him."

About two weeks after she told me I was chatting with the theater manager and said "you didn't tell me about the ghost." He made a face and said "He messes with the lights." Old theater, 130 years old (hey, this is USA, that's old), takes a ladder to get to the lights and get them aimed right or bulbs replaced.

Later the light man said the ghost can be a real nuisance, he seems to resent the stage and spot lights.

And that's all I know, just brief story, no personal encounter with the theater ghost.

[ 03. September 2012, 00:29: Message edited by: Belle Ringer ]

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

One time I was in a restaurant that used to be a hotel. This was in a town where my mother spent much time as a girl. I thought I saw out of the corner of my eye a small dog sitting by the table, but when I turned to look at it it wasn't there. It was such a vivid impression that I mentioned it after dinner. My mother told me that when she was a girl there was a dog of that description that sat on the front porch a lot.

A couple of years later at the same restaurant my parents got into a discussion with the waitress, and it came up that the restaurant was supposedly haunted by the ghost of a small white dog.

Not definitive proof of anything, but that's my experience.

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

Did you ask it for its ID?
[Big Grin]

I tagged it as an angel by virtue of the fact that it stood by my bed (while my maid and I furiously pretended to be asleep) and recited prayers over us.

It could well have been just a friendly ghost tho.

An Indonesian version of course - it didn't look anything like Caspar. [Biased]

Posted by Porridge (# 15405) on :

I was and still am a skeptic, so I hesitate to label this experience. However:

Years ago, my family would periodically visit a great-uncle who lived alone in a house with no central heat, no indoor bathroom, only cold running water (he was an old Yankee who'd have no truck with new-fangledness). There was electricity, as he'd had to give in to some conveniences after developing a bum ticker.

Once, when we had a fuller house than usual, I ended up sleeping in a bedroom that usually went unoccupied. It was a very hot, very still, very humid summer night. I had been sleeping, and suddenly awoke with a pounding heart, filled with fear. In the dim moonlight, I could see the window curtains moving and the rocking chair in the corner rocking, despite the air being so still. I sat up in alarm, and the feeling of fear -- as though there were something in the room that hated my guts and wanted me dead -- grew. I was all-but-paralyzed with terror. I couldn't even cry out.

Finally I mustered the wherewithall to flee the room and awoke my sister sleeping next door. She came back into the room with me and told me I must have had a nightmare; there was nothing. But the dog, who usually slept where she did, had followed us, but crouched and whined and growled at the threshhold and wouldn't enter the room. I ended up sharing a bed with Sis the rest of the night.

Several months later, another full house sent my sister's then-boyfriend to that room to sleep (none of us said a word to him about my "turn."). He came down to breakfast in the morning looking like death on toast. It took some time to drag it out of him, but he had a similar experience to mine.

Great-Uncle finally let on he believed there was a ghost -- that of a cousin who had disappeared under mysterious circumstances just before WWII.

A couple of years later, great-uncle died and the house was auctioned off. The place had been cleared out; not a stick of furniture was left except the giant woodstove in the kitchen. We were standing around this, waiting for the auctioneers to settle up and clear out, when there came a horrendous crash from upstairs that shook the whole house, followed by a long rattling sound as though someone had poured a thousand marbles across the upstairs floor from a great height.

There was nothing upstairs (and never had been) that could cause such a racket. The place was empty.

Much as I loved great-uncle, I was glad we didn't try to keep his home in the family.

Posted by Spiffy (# 5267) on :

I worked as a weekend cleaner in college. One of my spots was an old Victorian that was all law offices. It had a lot of articles framed on the entryway hall about how the place was haunted. There was an alarm system that I had to disarm to get into the building.

The basement door was padlocked from the outside, with a wide crack underneath. Frequently, the lights in the basement would turn on or off as I walked by.

I asked about motion detecting lights, the building owners said it was the ghost.

Other than that, haven't seen any dead relatives, or malevolent spirits. Sometimes I think I feel their presence, but most days theologically I lean heavily towards the Celtic-influenced "many-colored lands all around us" theory of afterlife as described by Fr. Andrew Greely in his novels.

Posted by art dunce (# 9258) on :

I was raised by people who believed in ghosts but had zero belief in them. Then, one day as we were sitting at dinner in my grandmother's ancient house and chatting a silver fork, long missing, fell from the ceiling and landed in the middle of the table. We were all shocked.

As for Angels, I have heard one but never seen one. I was hospicing my mother and was sound asleep when I was awoken by a strange noise that I cannot describe like a high pitched buzzing sound not voice-like at all and before I even knew what I was doing in a stupor I was running down the hall towards my mother's room but not knowing why and when I got there she had a smoldering cigarette on her chest and she was passed out from the morphine. I stood there and she was peacefully sleeping and I knew that my old house would have certainly burned down.

quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:

As for Angels, I have heard one but never seen one. I was hospicing my mother and was sound asleep when I was awoken by a strange noise that I cannot describe like a high pitched buzzing sound not voice-like at all and before I even knew what I was doing in a stupor I was running down the hall towards my mother's room but not knowing why and when I got there she had a smoldering cigarette on her chest and she was passed out from the morphine. I stood there and she was peacefully sleeping and I knew that my old house would have certainly burned down.

Way cool!!!! [Yipee] [Cool]

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

My church is surrounded by a historic graveyard (new cemetery outside the village opened in the early 1950s) and walled, with a single gated entrance.

I was walking home at 5pm, along the road past the church, and saw a solidly-built dark haired woman in a short-sleeved blue dress kneeling on a grave, arranging a large bunch of white flowers. I'd walked a few steps beyond where I could see her, when it struck me that no local would be dressed so lightly. So I thought she must be a visitor, and turned round to go back and ask if she'd like me to get the key and show her the inside of the church.

Once I'd turned round, I couldn't see her. However, I could see the entrance gate. She hadn't had time to leave, so I thought she was wandering round the rest of the graveyard. I went in, and she was nowhere to be seen. I walked round for a bit, increasingly puzzled as to where she could have gone, then I thought I'd go to see which name was on the grave which had a new bunch of white flowers. I knew exactly where I'd seen her, but there were no flowers on any of the graves.

I've no idea what happened. All I know is that at the point I turned to go to speak to her, I had no doubt as to the reality of the woman.

eta - I'd love a rational explanation!

[ 03. September 2012, 04:12: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

Riding home on my motorbike in the Uk in the hot summer of August 1976 a strange thing happened.

Clear moonlit night, very warm at about 11 pm

I went a more rural route home to appreciate the bright moonlight more (cast realy strong shadows). Rounding a bend I went through a dense belt of mist that had come up in the middle of nowhere - it was a hot night guaranteed to burn any mist off (more than 75 degrees F or 25 C). It was an isolated road, open to the fields around.

The immediate impression - that remains to this day - was one of malevolence and anger, almost of hands around my throat. I gunned the bike and sped down the open country road. I kept looking over my shoulder as I felt "it" was following me. [Even writing this now brings the shivers 30 + years later].

What was it? Dunno. No idea - but my impression was of something other worldly and definately wrong. There was no reason for any mist to be there - and I'd seen no other mist on the ride home, even in the expected places. Besides which the temperature was so hot that any mist would burn off anyway.

Some years later I discovered when studying local history, that where I encountered the mist there was once a crossroads. The "cross" road had been closed in the 1930's when the airfield was built. There's no logical explanation but I can assure you it did happen: I was wide awake, biking and I lknow what I felt like!

Posted by WhyNotSmile (# 14126) on :

My dad seems to attract odd phenomena. My 2 favourite of his stories:

The first happened about 25 years ago, when he was decorating the house of his dad's cousin. The cousin and her husband were away for the week, so my dad was in the house on his own.

On the first evening, at just after 8pm, the room he was in suddenly went extremely cold. He was surprised, as it was a warm summer evening, but he decided to go home and continue the painting the next evening. The second evening, the same thing happened. Again, he went home.

The third and final evening (not sure if it was meant to be the final evening, or if he just never went back after what happened next!), the room went cold, and he got really creeped out. He went out to the car, and headed for home (a couple of miles away, along country roads). Suddenly he got a feeling of extreme dread, and as he glanced in the rear view mirror, saw a face in the back seat of the car. The face was blackened, with charred streaks. He says he started reciting the Lord's Prayer and singing "The Lord's My Shepherd", and the face went away.

He was always reluctant to speak to the relatives who lived in the house about it, as the husband was a retired minister who always seemed quite conservative, and he didn't want to offend them. Eventually, years later, he did mention it to the wife, expecting she'd laugh it off. She said she had often felt a 'presence' in the house, and had done some research which revealed that, during the 2nd World War, a young soldier on a motorbike had crashed into the garden wall there, and died when his bike went on fire. This was long before she'd lived there, but it accounted for the charred face my dad had seen.

The second of my favourite stories happened about 2 years ago, when my parents went to Scotland with a couple of friends. They visited Greyfriar's graveyard, which subsequent Googling revealed is considered one of the most haunted places in the UK. One of their friends was some distance away, looking at a grave; my mum looked over at him, and saw someone standing right next to him. It looked like they were talking about the grave - she assumed it was another tourist, and they were having a chat about the city or something.

Just after this, the friend rejoined the group, and my mum asked who he'd been talking to. He replied that there hadn't been anyone there. When mum said what she'd seen, they looked around to see where the 'tourist' was, and of course he was nowhere to be seen. There hadn't been time for him to leave the graveyard, and in any case he'd have had to pass by them to get out. There was nowhere he could have been hidden. Very odd.

Posted by Lord Jestocost (# 12909) on :

Only secondhand experiences for me.

When we moved into the house my parents still live in, >30 years ago, we were told that a former owner 100 years previously had kept a monkey in a cage in the hallway. The marks left by it are still there on the tiled floor. Previous owners had said they had seen the monkey's ghost. We thought no more of this and never had any apparitions. My sister and I grew up and moved out. She married and had kids. By now the monkey had not been mentioned for decades.

Until a couple of years ago her 3-year-old reported seeing it. It was frightening him but not attacking, so she suggested he wave at it to reassure it. He did, and apparently it hasn't been seen since.

Meanwhile, across the way from my parents the old lady who used to live in a flat seems reluctant to move out. The current owner hasn't seen her but his daughter and a friend have. The friend was in bed in the spare room when an old woman popped her head round the door, said "oh, sorry" and left. He assumed she was another guest until he talked to the new owner at breakfast the next day.

Posted by Mili (# 3254) on :

I had/have a cousin who died tragically at age 25 when I was 20. It's an awful story actually. He and a mate were trying out his new Harley Davidson motorbike and stopped at a petrol station. While there they got into some sort of argument with a group of young men and teens. They then left on the bike but the men and teens pursued them in a car, driven by a 16 year old. They swerved at the motorbike -the police later concluded just to try to scare my cousin and his friend- however it led to the bike swerving off the road hitting a power pole and instantly killing my cousin and friend. My cousin had a partner and a two year old and the friend was supposed to get married that weekend.

The first strange coincidence occurred after my cousin's funeral (and it's probably just a coincidence). The funeral itself was at a funeral parlour, but we had afternoon tea at my Grandma's church. Afterwards we were standing outside chatting and for some reason watching the traffic pass. Suddenly a car stopped unexpectedly causing four or five cars to bump into each other - thankfully no serious damage was done, just some dents. However we all automatically started laughing as my cousin was a panel beater and we joked he must have caused it.

The really weird incident happened a few years later. I was at a small prayer meeting at church. We were all sitting in plastic bucket chairs in a circle, eyes closed praying silently. I don't remember why but I started thinking about and praying about my cousin who had died so tragically. At the end of the meeting I reached under my chair to grab my handbag, but it was gone. I looked around and found it a couple of metres away, leant up against the closed double doors that led out of the room, right where the doors met. I definitely did not put it there and people had come in late to the meeting while we were praying and opened those doors to get in. It was too far away to be accidentally bumped there. The only other explanation is that someone else put it there but it was a serious prayer meeting so I can't imagine anyone playing a practical joke. No-one else noticed and I didn't mention it to anyone. No-one acted funny either so I really don't think it was moved by any living person there.

Posted by Aggie (# 4385) on :

I believe I have seen ghosts, and I have certainly experienced some strange events, which i would describe as being "supernatural", or which I am convinced were "supernatural".

When I was 4 or 5 years old, my grandmother suffered a fatal brain haemorrhage from which she never regained consciousness, and I remember seeing her the day after she died (before my parents had told me that she had passed away.) Many years later, in around 1998 a few months before my father was diagnosed with terminal colon and liver cancer, I had a very vivid dream in which my grandmother appeared to warn me that Dad was terminally ill, and it would be "his time to pass over" soon - (he died in 2001). I usually forget dreams as soon as I wake up, but this was so vivid, I can remember every detail of it even now, and the conversation I had with my grandmother. At the time, Dad was showing no symptoms at all of cancer, so I was very upset and puzzled at my grandmother's warning, and I asked her to explain what she meant. She told me "I cannot tell you that. I am not even supposed to be here now." In the dream I begged her to tell me what she meant, and she kept saying "sorry I cannot tell you, but it is very serious", and then she walked out of the front door and disappeared down the street.

I lived in Spain for some of my childhood and teenage years with my parents in an old villa that had been built many years before by an English builder and his wife. We didn't know much about the history of the place, other thanthat the man had died in an air crash travelling between the UK and Spain during the 1960's, and his widow had never got over his sudden, tragic death, and had become somewhat of a recluse in the house, spending her days drinking heavily until she died of liver disease. After her death, her son had sold the house complete with most of the original fixtures and fittings to my father.

I remember hearing foot steps and sounds in the inner courtyard/patio outside my room when there was no one around, and doors and windows slamming shut when there was no breeze. My father who was a sceptic, always maintained that these noises happened because it was an old house. However, he was soon to change his mind, when a big heavy picture (painted by the original owner) suddenly came off the wall (as though it were lifted up and off its hook by an invisible hand) and flew across the lounge narrowly missing Dad.

There were lots of strange occurrences such as this, and I hated being alone at my parents' villa, as I always thought I could hear footsteps and voices, or had the sensation of being watched. I remember that quite often visitors to the house used to comment on the "strange atmosphere" the place had, and one school-friend I had to stay over once even asked if our dog could stay with her in her bedroom as she felt there was someone "creeping around outside"!!!

After my Dad died, and my mother sold it, the new owner - who was said she was a psychic - confirmed that there was ghostly activity in the villa, and that she had had the place blessed by a shaman. On my last trip to Spain, I went round to see her and had tea with her, and I noticed that the "strange atmosphere" had gone.

All of these experiences have convinced me personally that ghosts exist, but thinking objectively about it, and having studied psychology and philosophy, I wonder could it be auto-suggestion, whereby we believe that a certain place is haunted, and therefore we interpret sounds and shadows as being ghosts or other phenomena? Or, I wonder whether it is part of our (Anglo-Saxon) cultural heritage that we believe that there are haunted places, and "things that go bump in the night"? I notice that Spanish people don't share our love of "ghost stories", and to my knowledge there are no organised "ghost tours" of ancient castles, cathedrals or battle-sites in Spain. Although many cultures believe so strongly in the supernatural, and thus take it for granted that ghosts and spirits of the dead exist and interact with the living.

Posted by Alaric the Goth (# 511) on :

My uncle used to live in a part of North London, in quite a large house. He used to take in lodgers, each for a couple of months at a time, for extra income (he was a teacher and had four children to feed, etc.). One of them died, I think it was suicide after finding out about his wife cheating on him, and, rather than tell the kids which might cause upset, it wasn’t mentioned and they would just assume that he had come and gone like other lodgers before him

My Nana (my uncle’s and my mother’s mother) went down from the North East to stay with him, I think this would be the late 1960s. She was of partly Cornish/Breton descent and believed in the supernatural. She came down to breakfast after her first night’s stay and commented on the ‘nice man’ she had spoken to at the top of the stairs. My uncle and aunt asked her what he was like and she described someone like the dead man. My cousin, who up to then hadn’t known he was dead, then said that she had chatted to the man several times, like she used to when he was alive, but definitely since the day he died…

Posted by Ceannaideach (# 12007) on :

See now I count myself a sceptic in these things and will happily try to look for the explanation behind the phenomenon. Drafts, tricks of light or even the sleep circuits in the brain glitching when we're tired.

And yet there are a couple of occasions I can remember that stand out that make me think again.

First one is when I'm about ten or so. Parents are redocorating their bedroom and had moved their mattress into the playroom, wedged up against the sofa where my two younger brothers and I used it as an impromtu indoor slide. My middle brother is autistic and didn't want the lights on while we all got on with the serious business of sliding and playfighting on the mattress. It's at this point when I and my youngest brother (though 17 years later he claims he doesn't remember a thing) see something walk through the playroom wall into the room beyond - my bedroom. Youngest brother and I scream and fight to switch the lights back on by which point there is nothing to be seen. My memory seems to suggest that the thing was female in nature, though whether that's the embellishment of imagination or not is another matter. I refused to go in to my room until Dad came and inspected it. Our house was new, built on farmland with no known previous buildings there, so why would a presence float around up at first floor level?

Second came a couple of years ago in Edinburgh, during a stop off on a canal holiday with parents. We'd gone on a ghost tour which ended up exploring some previously blocked off underground tunnels/storage rooms which had a serious reputation for being haunted. Sceptical (of ghoulies and ghosties) Astrophysics graduate I might be but decided that praying through Ephesians 6: 14-17 (armour of God) would help calm any nerves that the atmosphere might inspire.
After having had the usual talk about the 'malevolent' spirit which would often follow tour groups around, we found ourselves in 'the safe room'. Alledgedly the one place in the expanse of tunnels where this malevolent presence had never been sensed/seen (it would apparently manifest as a creepy face in the walls). We were told that the safe room had one inhabitant - thought to be a child as childish laughter had been heard and the sound of a ball or a bell or something. And another sign of manifestation of said child ghost was the sudden drop in temperature in its exact location. It was as I was dimissing this as an effect of standing in a draft (Scotland, October, night = chilly) that I felt something cold against my left leg. I looked down, nothing there, I turn around as if to locate the source of the draft. I'm in the midst of the tour group with Dad standing behind me and slightly to the left acting as a wonderful draft excluder. I then notice Mum to my left looking down at her right leg and when we compared notes later she'd been praying and had felt the same thing as I had. As if something short had decided that the best or safest place in the whole group to stand was between two praying Christians.

Our organist at church says that staying late one night to practise, he saw a hooded figure sitting in one of the pews listening to his music. But despite turning up early to choir practise to set up during the dark winter evenings I've never seen him!

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

Nope. And I never will. There again I didn't believe in Irritable Bowel Syndrome either ...

Posted by Arminian (# 16607) on :

Had a friend at work who while staying at a friends saw an old woman at the end of his bed. The room was above a newsagent and regularly objects and magazines were scattered around when they returned to the shop in the morning.

Most cultures believe in spirits. I'm not convinced that dead people are responsible. Demons however I believe are real, and will do anything they can to get access to people. They seem to have played the same tricks through the centuries, and when you study ghost accounts you see the same patterns. Even UFO stories of abduction are similar in many ways.

Posted by Anyuta (# 14692) on :

no, but I lived in a "haunted" house my senior year in college. This is the house: http://hauntedva.blogspot.com/2010/11/case-file-fall-hill-plantation.html

You can read a description of the ghost at the link.

At the time I lived there the house was owned by a decendant of the original owner. She was quite a character, nearly blind, in her 80s I think at the time. We rented out the top floor of the house, while she lived in the lower (main) floor. Sometimes we'd visit with her and she would tell us stories about the house and it's history. Most of the stories had nothing to do with the ghost, but she did also often describe the ghost and the various sightings over the years. What she told us was that the ghost had a thing about covering you up if you were sleeping and had thrown off the covers. She was usually seen in the room that used to be the nursery (or so it is assumed), but which by the time I lived there had been turned into a kitchen for the upper floor. My roommates and I often sat up late in the kitchen hoping to see the ghost, but never did.

I have had other experiences that I would classify as possibly supernatural (certainly I think that they were), but sadly never a ghost. I would like to have seen one, though (at least a benevolent one--not sure I'd like the other kind!)

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

Well, the writer of Luke's gospel believes:

37 They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38 He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." [Luke 24]

Is this evidence, if Jesus and the disciples accept the existence of ghosts?

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

Like the appreciation of music or the ability to perceive the intentions of someone by noting the non-verbal communication, I suspect that some people have the natural tendency to sense things differently than others. Some things escape me completely. So I've never had this experience.

But my wife has, and it was demonstrated very clearly 20 years ago. We were driving home in different cars from a church camp. I was following. She pulled over to the side of the highway and put on the flashers. I pulled up behind her. She had left the car and was standing in the ditch looking very distressed. She told me "something has happened, I know it, I heard gramma's voice". This is pre-cell phone days. At the time we were stopped by the side of the road, her grandmother had died.

As best as I understand it, she had a sense of her grandmother's presence, not a visual experience, and the sound of her voice.

I am a sceptic by nature. This has all the ring of objectivity to me. There are other experiences I've witnessed with her (and some others) that are also persuasive, but not to do with sense of presence of someone (I am uncomfortable with the term 'ghost' in this context, even if it's good shorthand).

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

When my father was a child, an elderly neighbor named Martin used to take his daily constitutional past the family house and say hello to whomever happened to be outside. Martin died. About a month later, while my grandmother was outside in a field near the road, she saw Martin taking his usual walk. She reported that he'd nodded his head and said hello, then disappeared. My grandmother was a pretty stern, no-nonsense lady not given to flights of fancy.

What makes this story even more interesting: When I was a child on the farm I used to wander freely around our acreage -- all except for the hayfield behind our toolshed. There was a spot there, where a ditch traversed the field, that felt creepy to me; it's hard to describe, but it was an almost electrical feeling, like rubbing a woolen rug -- my hair would stand on end, my skin would crawl and I'd get a strong urge to run away. I didn't have anyone to talk to about these odd experiences, so I kept them to myself.

Many years later, listening to my parents reminisce about their childhoods, the subject of Grandma P's ghostly encounter came up. I asked my dad where this incident occurred, and he replied, "Just west of the house, on the road down by the culvert." My eyes grew wide -- because that was same area, in the neighboring field, that had made me so physically uncomfortable as a child. So I shared *my* hair-on-end experiences on the other side of the culvert.

I have, frankly, no explanation for what happened; although it brings to mind the term "thin places."

quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:
My Nana (my uncle’s and my mother’s mother) went down from the North East to stay with him, I think this would be the late 1960s. She was of partly Cornish/Breton descent and believed in the supernatural. She came down to breakfast after her first night’s stay and commented on the ‘nice man’ she had spoken to at the top of the stairs. My uncle and aunt asked her what he was like and she described someone like the dead man. My cousin, who up to then hadn’t known he was dead, then said that she had chatted to the man several times, like she used to when he was alive, but definitely since the day he died…

I would love to know what they talked about! It could give some indication, should this be the "ghost" of the man, whether he knew he was dead. How strange that someone should despair of life, kill himself, and then hang around chatting with people! Theologically, I suppose, you could speculate that since "you're healed when you die," his despair was gone. Or that he didn't realize he'd died (which I gather would be a Swedenborgian take on it, at least) and was simply in a better mood (as often happens after a good night's sleep).

ISTM what he chatted about could give an indication!

quote:
Originally posted by Arminian:
Most cultures believe in spirits. I'm not convinced that dead people are responsible. Demons however I believe are real, and will do anything they can to get access to people. They seem to have played the same tricks through the centuries, and when you study ghost accounts you see the same patterns. Even UFO stories of abduction are similar in many ways.

The similarities might also suggest that our brains behave in certain ways when stimulated by some kind of experience we haven't quite figured out yet. Our brains are really good at interpreting data, and are so interested in making sense of things, that we see faces in random shapes/patterns, e.g. It could very well be that our brains impose certain interpretive templates over our sensing/experiencing certain phenomena - subconscious, even, such as sound waves outside our range of hearing, e.g.

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:

37 They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38 He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." [Luke 24]

And don't forget the story of Saul visiting the medium at Endor and conjuring up Samuel's ghost.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

I think people have experiences, but I don't necessarily chalk them up to dead spirits.

I think energy and events can become imprinted on a place--kind of like a place of worship or historical place can have a feel to it from long use. Or maybe there's some kind of time slip. Or there are other dimensions/realities, and our world sometimes meets up with them. I think UK folks call those "thin places"? (And then there's the matter of what it is that cats watch that we can't see...)

My main problem with the idea of dead human spirits hanging around (other than a visceral "eeek!") is the kind of afterlife belief that usually goes with it: a person may "have" to stay here to accomplish something, or because they were bad, or there was a glitch, or they don't realize they're dead, etc. Not exactly comforting!
[Paranoid]

No personal experiences, nor do I want any. But Denise Linn, who works in clearing and blessing spaces, has a book called "Sacred Space". IIRC one chapter is on ghosts.

FWIW.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Tangent alert] I don't think we can get much one way or the other out of the Bible passages just mentioned. In the one case we have simple reportage--the disciples thought they saw a ghost--but that says nothing about whether such things exist. Jesus' answer could be taken to indicate that possibly such things exist, except that under the circs (newly resurrected!) he had more important things to do than to correct their worldview. And as for the witch of Endor, well, she seemed just as startled as Saul (if not more so) at what turned up--which may or may not have been the actual Samuel... [tangent OFF]

As for what cats "see", their sense of hearing is so much stronger than ours, they're just hearing something far away that we can't hear, or maybe something too low or high for our hearing range (I can't recall off-hand how their range compares to ours). They may not be looking at anything so much as concentrating on the sound(s).

Posted by LucyP (# 10476) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Like the appreciation of music or the ability to perceive the intentions of someone by noting the non-verbal communication, I suspect that some people have the natural tendency to sense things differently than others. Some things escape me completely. So I've never had this experience.

But my wife has, and it was demonstrated very clearly 20 years ago. We were driving home in different cars from a church camp. I was following. She pulled over to the side of the highway and put on the flashers. I pulled up behind her. She had left the car and was standing in the ditch looking very distressed. She told me "something has happened, I know it, I heard gramma's voice". This is pre-cell phone days. At the time we were stopped by the side of the road, her grandmother had died.

As best as I understand it, she had a sense of her grandmother's presence, not a visual experience, and the sound of her voice.

I am a sceptic by nature. This has all the ring of objectivity to me. There are other experiences I've witnessed with her (and some others) that are also persuasive, but not to do with sense of presence of someone (I am uncomfortable with the term 'ghost' in this context, even if it's good shorthand).

I don't think this is incompatible with orthodox Christian belief. We have very little information about what happens to the "soul" immediately after death, so it seems possible to me that somehow a departing soul may still be able to make contact, briefly, with people who are important to it. And as you say, some people are probably more "receptive" than others. I am happy to heed Biblical warnings that these experiences are not something we ought to seek out, under any circumstances. If they come unbidden, and are soon confirmed by more natural methods of communication, then we take them as we find them.

At the same time I don't set much store by people who claim to have special powers of perception. A Greek friend's mother regularly sends herself into a panic whenever she has a dream or premonition about an absent family member, and will not rest until she can get in contact with them to reassure herself that they are safe, since the dream/premonition has warned her otherwise (her accuracy rate is extremely low!) A Nigerian friend had an unpleasant incident when her sister (with whom she had a difficult relationship) refused to travel with her on a planned journey - it was only after my friend had arrived safely that the sister confessed that her reason for not coming was that she'd had a dream that the plane would crash, and that she'd believed that the dream was going to come true. (My friend is a very forgiving lady! Possibly the sister had only thought the plane was doomed if she was on it, and would be safe if she refused to go, but I didn't get that impression when the story was told to me.)

Posted by Trin (# 12100) on :

Well.. the SOF forums, I believe, play host to something like 300 active members at any one time. Of those who've seen this thread 17 have responded with stories - a total of 13 first hand experiences and 14 second hand.

Just taking the eyewitnesses 13/300 = 4.3%

You'd think ghosts would be a widely acknowledged fact of life.

At dinner parties I tell of the time I was on a plane journey somewhere high above Eastern Europe. I saw a huge serpent far, far away in the sky. It flew in two massive loops and then rose up and vanished into an indistinct blur that hung in the sky for some time. I can remember clearly what it looked like. The part of the story I tend to miss out is that I was suffering from fairly severe lack of sleep, having been awake traversing an unfamiliar foreign country for the previous 36+ hours at the end of an exhausting 4 week project.

quote:
Originally posted by Trin:
Well.. the SOF forums, I believe, play host to something like 300 active members at any one time. Of those who've seen this thread 17 have responded with stories - a total of 13 first hand experiences and 14 second hand.

I used to read quite a bit of Andrew Greely (a Catholic priest(?) cum writer of fiction). He wrote one book on Angels (fiction) but footnoted the book with some research that showed about 5% of the population had had some sort of "supernatural" experience of angels 'n stuff.

And that was the USA.

In places like Indonesia that would be a lot higher of course.

[ 06. September 2012, 12:57: Message edited by: Evensong ]

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Yes, Greeley is an RC priest - and a very interesting mix of liberal/radical and conservative.

If 5% of people had had credible experience of the supernatural, such phenomena would now be well documented fact.

quote:
I used to read quite a bit of Andrew Greely (a Catholic priest(?) cum writer of fiction). He wrote one book on Angels (fiction) but footnoted the book with some research that showed about 5% of the population had had some sort of "supernatural" experience of angels 'n stuff.

And that was the USA.

In places like Indonesia that would be a lot higher of course.

Correction -- 25%.

You are remembering the figure for multiple mystical experiences. Greeley researched the question (he was also a sociology professor) and "reports that 35% of the respondents have had mystical experiences at least once, and 5% of the respondents have had mystical experiences 'often.'" book review

Well, I suppose angels fits into mystical? But mostly we're talking dead people, the figure you want for that is different from his mystical category -- "The second type of paranormal experience, contact with the dead, was – like clairvoyance – found in approximately 25% of the respondents. According to Greeley, the elderly, women, widows and widowers, and the conventionally religious report higher incidents of such experiences." [same cite]

Yes as to much higher rate of awarenesses in less Westernized countries. Does our excessively rational culture train our brains to not "see" these things?

"Mystical experiences" could include experiences of the divine, without anything anyone would consider particularly paranormal (although some experiences of the divine could include such phenomena). It's a term that leaves room for a lot of interpretation.

Even asking someone if they've had a paranormal experience already imposes a layer of interpretation on the phenomena. You might ask that of someone who's seen shadowy figures out of the corner of their eyes, and if they chalked that up to tiredness, lighting, or their eyes, they'll answer "no." Someone else who experienced the same thing might say "yes" if they hadn't thought of natural explanations.

Posted by HughWillRidmee (# 15614) on :

I shall shortly be attending the cremation of a spiritualist. The lady instructed that no-one wear black to the crematorium or "I will come back and haunt them".

Out of concern for the family I shall not wear any visible black - I'll let you know if I get haunted.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

But you need to wear black in order to be assured of being haunted.

You are no fun. [Biased]

[ 06. September 2012, 22:00: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

Posted by daronmedway (# 3012) on :

quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
I am not sure whether this has been discussed before, but do any shipmates have any experiences that they might refer to as 'seeing a ghost' in the popular understanding of that term, or even accounts of a 'ghost' having been seen by a 'friend of a friend'?

What might the theological views of shipmates be on the possibility of the manifestation of someone's spirit after death?

Yes, I can remember being in the church building alone as a child and seeing something 'flitting' quickly along one of the aisles. Weirdly enough I spoke to another choirboy about seeing 'something' and he described the same phenomenon without being prompted.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
But you need to wear black in order to be assured of being haunted.

You are no fun. [Biased]

Just because it won't be visible to the family doesn't mean I won't be wearing it.

Posted by daronmedway (# 3012) on :

quote:

I think so.

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Even asking someone if they've had a paranormal experience already imposes a layer of interpretation on the phenomena.

Depends on how you do the research. Ask "have you have a paranormal experience" you don't know what people mean if they say "yes" or "no." Any decent researcher uses much more precise terminology than that.

Greeley was a professor of Sociology in an accredited university, he applied standard sociology research methodology to a topic that intrigued him and was surprised at the high numbers he got.

quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
quote:

I think so.
Well yes - its evidence.

But only that the author of that bit of what is now the Bible decided to write down that Jesus claimed that he wasn't a ghost. The rest is supposition and extrapolation.

Posted by saysay (# 6645) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Yes as to much higher rate of awarenesses in less Westernized countries. Does our excessively rational culture train our brains to not "see" these things?

I think so. Particularly men; I know a couple of brothers who could see ghosts when they were little but can't any more (although one of them still senses when one is around). I've also had the experience of seeing and talking to ghosts that other people in the room with me couldn't see (although they did agree that the room suddenly got much colder).

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

We lived in a house where I would often feel a presence in the dinning room or hall. I would turn and get a quick glimpse at something small and grayish. It always seemed benign. I never said anything to anyone. About a year after we moved from the house, one evening my husband asked me if I had ever felt some presence in the house? He said he thought he had gotten a glimpse of something in the dinning room fairly often. He said, " I was never bothered by it, it seemed harmless." Who knows? In any case once we moved neither of us encountered it again. I would think as beings of energy we would give off something that might remain in a place after we leave. I know I have in homes that felt good and in others that seemed to have an unhappy feel about them.

Posted by Sighthound (# 15185) on :

I don't remember this, but my mother told me that when I was very young I saw a little girl at the bottom of my bed. She thought it might have been my sister, who died in infancy.

One night I was walking the greyhound along the boundary fence of a local playing field. (We were outside the field itself.) Suddenly I saw a moving light. It was low down, and the best way to describe it is that it was rather as if a dog was running about with a torch in its mouth. We watched it for some minutes, until it vanished at the far end of the field. However, I hasten to add it moved so quickly that no animal (not even a greyhound!) could have been responsible for its evolutions. I am still baffled by this.

I often feel presences in my house. It tends to be worse at night, especially if I am alone. It could be pure imagination, but at its worst they do set my nerves on edge. Occasionally we get the smell of tobacco smoke, even though neither of us smokes. And stuff vanishes - that is it goes away for a time, and then suddenly appears, often in a place where one has looked the day before. One of my books did this a bit ago - it turned up within a foot of where I work, although I'd been hunting it all over the house for weeks.

Posted by beachcomber (# 17294) on :

This is the most affecting thread I read in my short time here. Very much so.

I am torn between wanting scientific evidence and integrity myself (not others); and a spiritual side / leaning and hope for richness and layered life.

When age young, maybe 7 or 8 - I stumbled and fell. I saw the Mother of God on coal truck. (I was by railway siding in the village near station). Looking back some year later, I saw a RC holy picture of the Immaculate Conception, and realised that the one I seen looked, in my memory, like that.

Is it auto-suggestion and stuff ? Did I knock my self out ? Yet, I had never seen this image at all, until years later. looking very Different from Theotikos icons.

What to make of this ?

[ 08. September 2012, 16:00: Message edited by: beachcomber ]

Posted by egg (# 3982) on :

quote:

It should not be assumed that all 300 active members have read this thread. The percentage of the general population who have experienced a paranormal event - apparition or voice or just a feeling of apprehension - must be a good deal larger than 4.3%. There are innumerable accounts of such events on the internet, and I would think that a high proportion of them are from normal truthful people.

My view, formed after quite a lot of reading and thought on the subject, is that, alongside our material world which the scientists can weigh and measure and theorise about, there is a non-material world. If, as the distinguished majority of the Archbishops' Commission on Spiritualism concluded, communications can be received from the departed, where are the departed? Plainly not in the material world. Similarly, where was Jesus between his post-death appearances? Where is he now, between his many appearances in different parts of the world (Professor Philip Wiebe, in his book "Visions of Jesus", tells of interviewing 28 people personally to whom Jesus had appeared, and there are many more whom he did not interview(. Where is God his Father, if (as I do and Jesus plainly did) you believe in a theistic God? There are clearly no atoms or molecules in their makeup, as this would fix their location in the material world.

I am firmly of the opinion that there does exist a non-material world in which can be found the answers to many of the problems discussed above - the dwelling place of God, Father Son and Holy Spirit, and of those who have died and obtained the eternal life which Jesus promised to them on several occasions, and possibly evil spirits too, though all the accounts Professor Wiebe gives are of appearances of Jesus which exuded love and left those to whom he appeared confirmed in their beliefs. Bishop Hugh Montefiore, mentioned by Professor Wiebe but not one of the 28, wrote at some length about his own experience of seeing and hearing Jesus which converted him almost instantaneously from a practising Jew, thinking at one time of becoming a rabbi, to a Christian.

I have not myself seen a vision of this kind, but I have met a poltergeist and such creaturea may well inhabit the non-material world too. A good deal of research has been done in this whole area; and I find it difficult to believe that there are many people who have given any time to studying it who would say that they do not believe in ghosts, or in life after death.

[ 08. September 2012, 16:44: Message edited by: egg ]

quote:
If 5% of people had had credible experience of the supernatural, such phenomena would now be well documented fact.

A number of people here have reported personal unexpected experiences, aren't those reports a documentation of some sort?

In many countries the spirits are assumed part of reality -- a friend in Asia would not allow use of the Chinese version of ouija board in her house because she said sometimes after you put the board away the spirits don't leave, they stay in the house. Highly educated and successful business owner.

But in the West if you say something like that in public you get labeled "crazy" which can hurt your business or career, so of course people don't say too publicly that they had an encounter with something not of this physical world.

And if you take a photo, or play a recording of the spirit talking, your documentation will be discounted as fraud. (There's plenty on the web, some probably fraud, some -- ?).

If the spirit world does not operate by our material rules, nor obey us unless we ask something they want to do anyway, no "repeatable measurable" test is possible, but that only proves they aren't rocks, they are creatures of their own wills and interests and not manipulated by our agendas.

So, what kind of documentation are you thinking should exist?

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
eta - I'd love a rational explanation!

The most rational explanation may be that you did see a ghost. [Smile]

Posted by hatless (# 3365) on :

I think it's not just be good science, but good theology to say that there is just one world, and that there isn't another world alongside it, no spirit dimension, no supernatural realm. Everything that happens, that is real, happens in this one world.

It's not a purely material world. There are ideas, culture, language and more and these things have an effect on each other. A message from one person to another can have a physical effect. A joke told out there may make my keyboard wet with coffee.

Ghosts, though, inhabit an in-between world. They are supposed to have direct physical effects - temperature drop, say. People believe they are actual entities and try to investigate them, buying equipment and dedicating many years to try and film them or detect them electronically.

There are never any definite positive results to convince an open-minded sceptic, but often some ambiguous, vague shadowy shape or possible recording, or maybe it was a bit of interference or a trick of the light. Meanwhile millions of security cameras record hundreds of thousands of locations around the world and pick up nothing.

But still people believe in ghosts, and still report experiences of the paranormal.

It could be that the paranormal exists but deliberately stays out of clear view. That gives you a seriously weird world to live in, a Trueman show version of reality.

It could be that the whole paranormal including ghosts is better understood as a human and cultural phenomenon. That is, that some people will sometimes see things, and that what they see will depend on where they live, what ideas they've grown up with, what stories they heard as a child, and what they expect. We would expect that the experiences people report will be shaped by their culture. They will be experiencing a cultural phenomenon, but as if it were an external event.

If that's the case, then we would expect ghosts to be different in China from Mexico, in Ancient Egypt from modern Russia, and so on. There would be similarities, of course, because there is much that is common to being human in any time and place, but much that is specific to a time and place, and clearly reflects the culture there, and not any underlying natural reality.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:

17 people have responded to this thread but as with any thread on this forum, there are many more people who read than post, who may be perfectly capable of contributing relevant experiences but haven't.

I'm fairly open about my own belief in the paranormal. Over the years I've heard many stories from people who have had strange, anomalous experiences they can't explain rationally. I'd place the number of people who are open to the possibility of the existence of the paranormal at far higher than 4.3%. Definitely in double figures. There will be people reading this thread now who don't want to post, but recognize similar experiences posted here to their own.

Reasons for not admitting to this publicly are usually fear of ridicule, or censure, or not wanting to admit that what they experienced is a possibility but unable to explain what happened any other way.

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

I'm torn about ghosts. As a boy I did believe in them, desperately wanted to see one, and never did. So, from personal experience, they don't exist. On the other hand, over the years various different friends I trust have told me about their experiences of seeing ghosts. So, from the experience of others, they do exist.

The two main possibilities, as far as I'm concerned, are: a) these friends have some innate sensitivity that I lack b) they have made an honest mistake about what they saw, or what they remember (I don't think they were trying to deceive me).

Posted by Tubifex Maximus (# 4874) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:

...The two main possibilities, as far as I'm concerned, are: a) these friends have some innate sensitivity that I lack b) they have made an honest mistake about what they saw, or what they remember (I don't think they were trying to deceive me).

Or perhaps what we call a ghost is a transient and unpredictable phenomenon. You've never seen a ghost but you've never been struck by lightning either, sort of thing. At least, I hope you haven't.

I believe that I have seen a ghost, twice, and so has my father. The experience was of standing in a room, reasonably lit, late at night. The room suddenly became cold, I was aware that I was looking through a mist that had condensed in the room. The mist contracted into a vaguely human outline, greyish white and opaque and then dissipated. the entire experience lasted about 5 seconds. The room then slowly returned to its normal temperature; the central heating was on

I take no view as to whether I saw the spirit of a human being, but I'm certain that this was an objective phenomenon and not a hallucination. My father's experience agrees with mine remarkably, he had the experience before I was born and told nobody until I confided my first experience in him, so there was no scope for his experience to have influenced mine.

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
The two main possibilities, as far as I'm concerned, are: a) these friends have some innate sensitivity that I lack b) they have made an honest mistake about what they saw, or what they remember (I don't think they were trying to deceive me).

The memory aspect is interesting. I've had friends tell me about some sort of "encounter" in detail shortly after the event, but a few years later when I mention it they claim not to have any idea what I'm talking about. Not "oh, I later realized it was the cat" but "no such thing ever happened and I never said it did."

Forget? Get ridiculed too much (or by one person important to them) and decided to drop the topic for good? Fear that being older makes them vulnerable to being locked up in a old age home as incompetent if they say unconventional things? Afraid of the implications if there really are creatures that we cannot control?

Just last night at a friend's house one woman said her (long dead) son had visited her briefly the night before, it's been a while, she always has the impression when it happens that he's busy, on his way somewhere, just stopping by for a quick moment. But it gives her a contentment. No one suggested she's crazy, but made supportive comments agreeing occasional (rare) visits from a dead loved one are -- I don't know the word. Treasured.

Just the brain imaging things? Maybe. Can have a powerful helpful effect sometimes.

Awful lot of my friends report various encounters in private gatherings but would never say anything about it in general public. But then, we don't usually talk about deeply personal things in public, and a visit of reassurance or encouragement or love from one's dead son or dead mother is deeply personal.

quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
I think it's not just be good science, but good theology to say that there is just one world, and that there isn't another world alongside it, no spirit dimension, no supernatural realm.

Where did the resurrected Jesus ascend to, where is Jesus right now? Where did Gideon's angel go? Who did Moses talk to at the bush or on the mountain?

I have no problem with your concept that there is one world, but a world broader in the whole than the part we see and measure.

Posted by Alaric the Goth (# 511) on :

I have another, more personal, ghostly experience to recount. I was with my late mother when she died on Boxing Day, 2007 in an old people’s home. At the end of August 2008 I had at last managed to sell her house, and brought most of the contents down to the one I now live in, including the double bed she had slept in the last few years she was still living in her own house.

My partner was stopping one night and I couldn’t sleep for her loud snoring. Except that I wasn’t hearing the snoring through my ears and it wasn’t her snoring, I later realised, because I have ‘heard’ it again many times since, a quite distinctive sound, even though alone. I did not at first assume it was a ghost, as I say the very first time I thought it was my partner, and I even thought on other occasions, when alone, that it was me (my heartbeat or something coming through the bed/pillow). But attempts to shift position so I didn’t hear it, etc. and the way I realised I wasn’t getting it through my ears, convinced me it was ‘supernatural’ even before I realised ‘who’ it was. I know I haven’t dreamt it as, particularly at first, it kept me awake.

I initially wondered whether it was the ghost of a man who had lived in the house, husband of the woman I bought the house off, or could it be a resident from before that? But then the obvious occurred to me: I had heard this particular breathing before, as it was the same (I would describe it as ‘tragic’) noise my late mother was making in her last days/hours before she died. It has grown fainter with time, but even now I still sometimes ‘hear’ it (I have prayed, more than once, that my mum goes to find rest with the Lord, and I have not had the sound as ‘loud’ since). It seems to be from above and to the left now, if a sound you don’t get through your ears can be located (I cannot explain this any better: if you have had a similar experience you would understand). I only receive(d) it in that bed in that room.

[ 10. September 2012, 15:25: Message edited by: Alaric the Goth ]

A further "strange" experience to relate. My mother on 3rd October 2009. I, my father, my wife and my eldest daughter were with her.

When we returned home to my daughters house (soem 40 miles away) we were met by a very agitated son in law. We couldn't say anything but he claims he had heard and sensed grandma in our granddaughters bedroom. What happened at 3.20 am he asked: her time of death had been given to us as 3.20 am.

Did great grandma come for a last look at the little grandchild she loved so much?

The other fact of the story is this: our son in law clearly heard our grandaughter talking to someone she seemed to know. She never but never woke up and was a sound sleeper.

Was this wishful thinking? He's a pretty sound sort of chap not given to fancies. No one knew she was dying when we went to the hospital.

Four close family members were at a bedside in a hospital at 3.20am, but "no one knew she was dying" when you went to the hospital? It must surely have been an emotionally charged time.

I'm not wishing to doubt or discredit anything you, Exclamation Mark, or anyone else says. It's just that so many stories of the paranormal do tend to shift when you investigate them. I remember a friend, a scientist and a sceptic, telling a group of us about a haunted house he had lived in, and the many people who went there and were so scared they couldn't stay for the whole night. It was very impressive and credible evidence. On another occasion he talked about it again, and admitted that he had never seen or heard a single suspicious thing, and that those who had stayed, all university students, had probably all been well aware of the house's reputation, and in many cases quite deliberately primed with a few good creepy ghost stories. He said he was sure it could all be explained by suggestion, expectation and the atmosphere of a very remote and old house.

I worked in a building, supplies were kept in the basement, closing up at night the staff were to turn out all the lights before locking up. Morning after morning I'd come to work and see the basement light on and remind staff to turn out ALL the lights.

Finally one night when I was on late shift one of the staff said after we locked up "wait here and watch." After ten minutes I was impatient, but he said "just wait." After 20 minutes the basement light came on. (It had those basement windows in wells with just a bit of glass above ground level.)

He said "See? It's not us failing to turn the lights off."

I assumed a electrical issue and called he electricians. They couldn't find any problem.

I started checking the light switch, (staff were glad to have me go fetch supplies sometimes, they said the basement was "creepy" and hated to go there). The light switch was the lever kind like I grew up with. By mid-afternoon it would be partially raised from the fully down position.

I said to myself, someone is seeking light. So one afternoon I said (to the empty room, no living human anywhere near), "You are seeking light, the light you want is Jesus." I explained briefly the gospel message, and suggested the, um, whatever, go to Jesus, and I assured the, um, whatever, of a loving welcome.

I had as if a sense of listening, someone listening to me, and then a sense of departure, someone going diagonally up and away.

I told no one (except many years later). Hey, I didn't want to be laughed at, scorned! But the basement light never again came on by itself. Staff stopped resisting if I asked them to fetch supplies from the basement.

Some Pentecostal friends assume all encounters are "demons," but this incident is when I started wondering if there is something to the concept of "lost souls." Not lost as in "gone to hell" but as in not knowing where to go, what do do, after they are dead.

Doesn't make sense to me theologically, but I try not to let academic theology overrule reality.

Reports of visits from the dead shortly after death, even a visit being the way people first learn of a loved ones death, are startlingly common. Again, I don't care what theology says, with so many reporting it, I'm not going to say "can't happen."

If it was a British ghost, it might have been seeking darkness and trying to turn the light off.

Posted by Noxious (# 17318) on :

I've had more than a few supernatural experiences of one type or another but on this particular subject, a fairly distant cousin died in a car accident some years ago and I wasn't able to get to the funeral. On the day, my toddler son had finished up his dinner and started giggling and cooing at the wall opposite. This was out of the ordinary for him - goodness knows if walls had been that fascinating we'd have saved a fortune on toys - and his animation lasted for a minute or two before normal service was resumed. I was puzzled and a bit spooked anyway but looked at the clock to see where he was at with his impending nap and it was 1.15 - precisely the time of her funeral which had been completely out of my mind. It would have been entirely her style to pull a few cheeky faces at the relative she'd never met before slinging her hook (and, for what it's worth, he was looking at not far off eye level for her diminutive stature). I'm well aware it falls short of the scientific method and it doesn't quite fit with my theology but I'm prepared to be open-minded.

His brother never had a similar experience but don't get him started on the 'Oval Man' he says he can see from his bedroom window jumping from roof to roof every night... visions of some Chinese demon meets Humpty Dumpty character terrorising neighbourhoods, misaligning satellite dishes and knocking slates out of kilter...

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

17 people have responded to this thread but as with any thread on this forum, there are many more people who read than post, who may be perfectly capable of contributing relevant experiences but haven't.
The point is, even if the figure is as low as 4.3% or even 1%, ghosts ought by now be well documented fact.

quote:
So, what kind of documentation are you thinking should exist?

Hatless has a very good point about the amount of cctv footage that never captures anything.

According to a conservative 1% estimate, out of a world population of 7 billion, and assuming an inflated average lifespan of 80 years, 2400 people around the world will see a ghost today, and day after day, not one of them happens to be captured on film with anything credible enough to make the 9 o clock news. Or even just convinces someone with the clout to initiate a study that then documents inexplicable drops in temperature or objects moving around etc.

Av. Lifespan = 80yrs x 365 = 29200 days in an average life

Chances of seeing a ghost in your lifetime = 0.01
Chances of it being today = 0.01/29200 = 0.00000034

0.00000034 x 7 billion = 2397 people

If we assume a lower lifespan, or a higher sighting percentage, the daily figure will of course increase.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

While keeping an entirely open mind on this, not having ever seen anything identifiable as a ghost while awake, though having had a few odd unsought for experiences, the absence of records on film or digital media doesn't prove anything. Since, even with normal sight, it is the brain that does the seeing, it is quite possible that people can see things that gadgets can't.

One of those experiences was of seeing the face of someone I had never met, as if through the eyes of someone else in whose company she probably was. That the face appeared on the tiled splashback of a basin in a place she has never been to my knowledge was irrelevant. I was convinced at the time that I was projecting the image outside myself, but was really seeing it inside. I saw her later, and the image details were confirmed.

I would expect sightings (and hearings) of ghosts to be the same sort of thing, perceptions generated in the head, but interpreted as being outside in the real world.

I wouldn't have read this thread last night in my old home, in case I woke something. There was an odd feeling in the spare bedroom, almost confirmed by someone else. (1960's maisonette, top floor). Almost, because he would have been thinking of a reason why I asked him to go in there, so could have come up with a fellow feeling. I used to go in and pray, but to no avail.

It disappeared when I had a friend who had lost the roof of his park home in October 1987 to stay until his place was replaced. Part of his life was to say the offices, so the room had Compline in it every night he was there. He never mentioned anything.

I was never quite sure that it hadn't simply moved next door or something, so did nothing to encourage it. Like thinking about it.

[ 11. September 2012, 10:36: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Posted by Thyme (# 12360) on :

Many millions of people testify to experiences of an encounter with/seeing/meeting Jesus, but it has never been captured on film.

Like answers to prayer and miracles the supernatural can never be conclusively proved or disproved by films or photo or other tangible things.

Posted by Niteowl (# 15841) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
Many millions of people testify to experiences of an encounter with/seeing/meeting Jesus, but it has never been captured on film.

Like answers to prayer and miracles the supernatural can never be conclusively proved or disproved by films or photo or other tangible things.

I've never understood why anyone would expect ghosts, or anything of the spirit world to be caught on film It's one argument against ghosts I'd take off the table. After all, many of us believe in angels, despite there never being a single example caught on film. And despite the overwhelming number of people who believe in God and angels, you'll never see a scientific study or anything proving their existence either. I will add that I'm another who has never seen a ghost or had a paranormal experience.

quote:

nor, of course, can it be conclusively proven by intangible things - which is why acceptance of anything supernatural is a belief/faith/superstition.

quote:
quote:
I think it's not just be good science, but good theology to say that there is just one world, and that there isn't another world alongside it, no spirit dimension, no supernatural realm.

Where did the resurrected Jesus ascend to, where is Jesus right now? Where did Gideon's angel go? Who did Moses talk to at the bush or on the mountain?

I have no problem with your concept that there is one world, but a world broader in the whole than the part we see and measure.

I think it's largely a matter of terminology, whether you say that there are a material world and a non-material world co-existing, or a single world only part of which is susceptible to scientific investigation. The whole was created by God.

Professor Wiebe, who subjects accounts of this kind to critical examination and does not simply treat accounts given by apparently truthful percipients as genuine, says that there are so many recorded "Christic visions", i.e. visions of Jesus, that, although at one time the truth of them was doubted, it is now widely accepted in the academic world that they genuinely occur.

The situation is similar to that of Near Death Experiences (NDEs). Until quite recently accounts of NDEs were commonly dismissed as fantasy; but with the great increase of modern methods of resuscitation, the accounts of NDEs have become so common that it is accepted that most of them are genuine accounts of objective events.

If it is accepted that the accounts of Jesus's Resurrection appearances are largely true, and that accounts of Christic visions in the 20th and 21st centuries are also largely true, Belle Ringer's questions demand an answer. My answer is that Jesus (like many others who have departed from mortal life) is alive in a non-material sphere which exists at the same time as, or alongside, the material world which scientists can investigate. Belle Ringer's answer that it is all one world, only part of which is susceptible to scientific investigation, is just as good. As I say, it is a matter of terminology, and the whole of whatever exists was in my belief created by God, whose existence is itself not susceptible to scientific investigation.

[ 11. September 2012, 14:03: Message edited by: egg ]

quote:

The sorts of things people describe - seeing figures, drop in temperature, objects moving around - sound quite tangible. It's a bit convenient to be able to say "ah yes well the ghostly manifestations are only real in your mind", although having said that, that's quite a good summary of my position.

quote:
Originally posted by egg:
I think it's largely a matter of terminology, whether you say that there are a material world and a non-material world co-existing, or a single world only part of which is susceptible to scientific investigation. The whole was created by God. That is your opinion. You are entitled to say that it is your opinion. You may even be right but unless you can produce irrefutable evidence to support your belief you really shouldn’t suggest that you have certain knowledge which you don’t have/can’t demonstrate.

Professor Wiebe, who subjects accounts of this kind to critical examination and does not simply treat accounts given by apparently truthful percipients as genuine, says that there are so many recorded "Christic visions", i.e. visions of Jesus, that, although at one time the truth of them was doubted, it is now widely accepted in the academic world that they genuinely occur. Professor who? which bit of the academic world would that be then? links? arguments from possible authority are not evidence – do you have any?

The situation is similar to that of Near Death Experiences (NDEs). Until quite recently accounts of NDEs were commonly dismissed as fantasy; but with the great increase of modern methods of resuscitation, the accounts of NDEs have become so common that it is accepted that most of them are genuine accounts of objective events. by whom? From Wikipedia Many NDE reports, however, originate from events that are not life-threatening. With recent developments in cardiac resuscitation techniques, the number of reported NDEs has increased. The experiences have been described in medical journals as having the characteristics of hallucinations, while parapsychologists, religious believers and some mainstream scientists have pointed to them as evidence of an afterlife and mind-body dualism.

If and I trust you realise it is a pair of very big ifs it is accepted that the accounts of Jesus's Resurrection appearances are largely true, and that accounts of Christic visions in the 20th and 21st centuries are also largely true, Belle Ringer's questions demand an answer. My answer is that Jesus (like many others who have departed from mortal life) is alive in a non-material sphere which exists at the same time as, or alongside, the material world which scientists can investigate. Belle Ringer's answer that it is all one world, only part of which is susceptible to scientific investigation, is just as good. As I say, it is a matter of terminology, and the whole of whatever exists was in my belief created by God, whose existence is itself not susceptible to scientific investigation. "God, whose existence is itself not susceptible to scientific investigation" thus placing God (all of them?) on the same indefensible plane as homeopathy, chi, feng-shui, dowsing, applied kinesiology and his blessed noodliness the Flying Spaghetti Monster et al .

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
some people will sometimes see things (...) what they see will depend on where they live, what ideas they've grown up with, what stories they heard as a child, and what they expect. We would expect that the experiences people report will be shaped by their culture. They will be experiencing a cultural phenomenon, but as if it were an external event (...) and not any underlying natural reality.

I quite like the theory explored by Douglas Adams in The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul in which Norse deities have not ceased to exist but are now irrelevant in the modern world, and have to eke out a living by having bit-parts in TV commercials and so on.

I similarly find hatless' explanation quite attractive, but I'm not sure I agree with his implied conclusion that a "cultural phenomenon" precludes "any underlying natural reality" and wonder if it might not even create something that is as "real" as the tangible, material sort of things that everybody bumps into.

May I take up some of HughWillridme’s comments:

1. “unless you can produce irrefutable evidence to support your belief you really shouldn’t suggest that you have certain knowledge which you don’t have/can’t demonstrate”. That is the difficulty with all non-material occurrences. Some with a scientific bias are so unwilling to accept any evidence that is not measurable by a scientist or is not repeatable to order that they refuse to accept that the non-material world exists That is why Keith Ward entitles his book “Why there almost certainly is a God – Doubting Dawkins”. The evidence for the existence of telepathy, acquired using scientific methods, is very strong, but because it is not repeatable to order some sceptics still refuse to accept it – because if it is accepted it means that the materialist explanation of the world does not give the full picture.

2. “Professor who? which bit of the academic world would that be then? links? arguments from possible authority are not evidence – do you have any? Professor Phillip Wiebe is, or was in 1997, Professor of Philosophy and Dean of Arts and Religious Studies at Trinity Western University in Canada.. Links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_H._Wiebe; and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Western_University. His book “Visions of Jesus” contains the most thorough critical evaluation of accounts of visions or appearances of Jesus, from the New Testament to the late 20th century, with copious references to the works of other philosophers and theologians, that I have read. Obtainable on Amazon: for a fair and not wholly favourable review (***) see http://www.amazon.com/Visions-Jesus-Direct-Encounters-Testament/product-reviews/0195126696/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&s howViewpoints=1

3. NDEs: “The experiences have been described in medical journals as having the characteristics of hallucinations,..." Perhaps my use of the word “objective” was going a little too far. Hallucinations may be self-induced, or (in Bishop Hugh Montefiore’s term) veridical hallucinations, i.e. induced by an outside agent. As you say, NDEs are accepted by many as falling into the latter category and as “evidence of an afterlife and mind-body dualism”.

4. "God, whose existence is itself not susceptible to scientific investigation" thus placing God (all of them?) on the same indefensible plane as homeopathy, chi, feng-shui, dowsing, applied kinesiology and his blessed noodliness the Flying Spaghetti Monster et al .” I don’t think this is acceptable language on this ship, coming from someone who obviously has not read my earlier posting with an open mind. Most shipmates accept the possibility of the existence of God. If you do not, perhaps you should blog elsewhere.

quote:

“unless you can produce irrefutable evidence to support your belief you really shouldn’t suggest that you have certain knowledge which you don’t have/can’t demonstrate”. That is the difficulty with all non-material occurrences. no it’s not – the problem with non-material occurrences is that they cannot be shown to occur, and therefore the rational conclusion is that they either don’t occur (they are better called material non-occurrances) or that their occurrence is irrelevant to matter (including human beings).
Do you consider it morally acceptable to present belief as fact?
Some with a scientific bias are so unwilling to accept any evidence that is not measurable by a scientist or is not repeatable to order that they refuse to accept that the non-material world exists would you try to defeat a life-threatening disease by the use of drugs whose effectiveness cannot be measured or repeated despite the existence of proven alternatives? " That is why Keith Ward entitles his book “Why there almost certainly is a God – Doubting Dawkins”. The evidence for the existence of telepathy, acquired using scientific methods, is very strong, but because it is not repeatable to order some sceptics still refuse to accept it – because if it is accepted it means that the materialist explanation of the world does not give the full picture. what evidence re telepathy? If you make such an assertion you should provide something to support it. A book does not, of itself, justify anything, otherwise you would expect me to believe in the Bermuda Triangle, Robin Hood and a talking snake.

“Professor who? which bit of the academic world would that be then? links? arguments from possible authority are not evidence – do you have any? Professor Phillip Wiebe is, or was in 1997, Professor of Philosophy and Dean of Arts and Religious Studies at Trinity Western University in Canada.. Links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_H._Wiebe; and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Western_University. His book “Visions of Jesus” contains the most thorough critical evaluation of accounts of visions or appearances of Jesus, from the New Testament to the late 20th century, with copious references to the works of other philosophers and theologians, that I have read. Obtainable on Amazon: for a fair and not wholly favourable review (***) see http://www.amazon.com/Visions-Jesus-Direct-Encounters-Testament/product-reviews/0195126696/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&s howViewpoints=1
My knowledge of academia is poor but this doesn't seem to me to be a main-stream scientist employed at a typical university.
There is only one review which includes "The author also points out the strange fact that all percipients he interviewed immediately recognized the person in their visions as Jesus, despite nobody knowing how Jesus really looked like" and concludes “Wiebe never reaches a firm conclusion, and as already mentioned, his book became tedious to read after a while. I admit that I didn't read literally every word of it..."
Suggesting that it is “ now widely accepted in the academic world that they (Cristic visions) genuinely occur." based on these links seems to me akin to saying that it is now widely accepted in the academic world that the pyramids were built by aliens because someone published a website saying that it could be so.

3. NDEs: “The experiences have been described in medical journals as having the characteristics of hallucinations,..." Perhaps my use of the word “objective” was going a little too far. Hallucinations may be self-induced, or (in Bishop Hugh Montefiore’s term) veridical hallucinations, i.e. induced by an outside agent. As you say, NDEs are accepted by many as falling into the latter category and as “evidence of an afterlife and mind-body dualism”.
actually it’s the Wikipedia writer who says so, but many people have accepted that lightning was the gods hurling thunderbolts, that the earth was the centre of the universe and that wisdom comes with age.

"God, whose existence is itself not susceptible to scientific investigation" thus placing God (all of them?) on the same indefensible plane as homeopathy, chi, feng-shui, dowsing, applied kinesiology and his blessed noodliness the Flying Spaghetti Monster et al .” I don’t think this is acceptable language on this ship, coming from someone who obviously has not read my earlier posting with an open mind. I don’t have an open mind, my brain hasn’t fallen out. The common basis for all these concepts is that not one of them is "susceptible to scientific investigation". Most shipmates accept the possibility of the existence of God. If you do not, perhaps you should blog elsewhere. Not exactly a rational response is it?
Actually I accept the possibility of the existence of some sort of supernatural being(s) which might equate to god(s). Just as I accept the possibility of unicorns, the Loch Ness Monster and Bertrand Russell's teapot. However, the absence of any evidence to support a possibility means, to my mind, that belief in that possibility is premature, unnecessary and, frankly, somewhat silly.

Posted by passer (# 13329) on :

quote:
Most shipmates accept the possibility of the existence of God. If you do not, perhaps you should blog elsewhere.

ITTWACW [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
ITTWACW [/QB]

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with this one and can't work it out. Would you kindly translate.

Apologies - I assumed that as a long-time member you'd have come across the acronym before. It stands for: "I Thought This Was A Christian Website". I was using it sarcastically, which is the normal practice. It's generally levelled at people who post protestations such as the one by you which I quoted. Not accepting the possibility of the existence of God does not disqualify anyone from being a member of SoF and contributing to the discussions on the boards.

You can contribute to the Ship's finances by buying a mug with it on - I'm drinking tea from one right now.

quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:

Actually I accept the possibility of the existence of some sort of supernatural being(s) which might equate to god(s). Just as I accept the possibility of unicorns, the Loch Ness Monster and Bertrand Russell's teapot. However, the absence of any evidence to support a possibility means, to my mind, that belief in that possibility is premature, unnecessary and, frankly, somewhat silly.

[/QUOTE]

[ 14. September 2012, 16:13: Message edited by: egg ]

[Continued] Actually there is a great deal of evidence for the existence of a supernatural being, stretching back at least 4000 years. It just doesn't happen to have been tested in a laboratory. However most of those who do not believe would hesitate to call it silly, any more than they would call a belief that a rose smells sweeter than a dandelion, or that a sunset can be beautiful, or that love can exist between husband and wife, silly. Bem and Honorton, Does psi exist? (http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/psy1.html) suspect that "one's reactions to the data [on telepathy] are ultimately determined by whether one was more severely punished in childhood for Type I or Type II errors" (Type I being to assert that an effect exists when it does not, Type II being to assert that an effect does not exist when it does). I think they mean that those who were more severely punished for Type I errors tend to turn out to be among those who refuse to accept the considerable amount of evidence that telepathy exists.

quote:
Apologies - I assumed that as a long-time member you'd have come across the acronym before. It stands for: "I Thought This Was A Christian Website". I was using it sarcastically, which is the normal practice. It's generally levelled at people who post protestations such as the one by you which I quoted. Not accepting the possibility of the existence of God does not disqualify anyone from being a member of SoF and contributing to the discussions on the boards.

Thank you. At least I would have thought that most contributors would have an open mind on most subjects of this kind that have not been scientifically proved. HughWillRidMe claims not to have.

Posted by Truman White (# 17290) on :

quote:
quote:
"[qb]
“Professor who? which bit of the academic world would that be then? links? arguments from possible authority are not evidence – do you have any? Professor Phillip Wiebe is, or was in 1997, Professor of Philosophy and Dean of Arts and Religious Studies at Trinity Western University in Canada.. Links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_H._Wiebe; and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Western_University. His book “Visions of Jesus” contains the most thorough critical evaluation of accounts of visions or appearances of Jesus, from the New Testament to the late 20th century, with copious references to the works of other philosophers and theologians, that I have read. Obtainable on Amazon: for a fair and not wholly favourable review (***) see http://www.amazon.com/Visions-Jesus-Direct-Encounters-Testament/product-reviews/0195126696/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&s howViewpoints=1
My knowledge of academia is poor but this doesn't seem to me to be a main-stream scientist employed at a typical university..

Yes, your knowledge of academia is poor. The book is published by
Oxford University Press (US branch). Like any academic work it has stimulated debate. You may not agree with the conclusions, but anything published by OUP should be taken as serious academic research. Where the author works is less of a guide to the seriousness of the content than who has decided to print it.

[ 14. September 2012, 21:35: Message edited by: Truman White ]

Posted by Walsingham Tilde (# 17311) on :

Some years ago, when we moved into a brand-new vicarage, we noticed an unpleasant smell around the front door. It grew stronger, so the drains were checked (new drains don’t always flow smoothly) but all was well. As the stench increased, we noticed three sinister things: first, that it was the unmistakeable smell of rotting flesh; secondly, that it was contained within a definite area - roughly a square metre; thirdly, that the area was moving. Over about a week it had moved through the hall – and then it started to come up the stairs.
At this point I did a house blessing and home Eucharist – and the phenomenon ended at once.
No explanation – but I promise this is true.
Have other shipmates experienced supernatural smells?

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Welcome to the Ship Walsingham Tilde [Smile]

Did you not consider co-incidence as an explanation?

That the smell would have gone at that moment anyway?

I don't believe that anything is supernatural. Unexplained,yes. Many, many things which were once considered supernatural can now be explained. The same is true for all such phenomena imo.

Posted by angelfish (# 8884) on :

It is notable that doubters are often unable to produce any alternative explanation beyond "it was a coincidence". What, in the phantom smell case, do you think caused it Boogie? I am sure that some alleged supernatural phenomena are in fact caused by more mundane events, but I am also sure that there are genuine supernatural occurrences in the world. My parents together witnessed a figure of a man crouching at the foot of their bed. When Dad told it to leave, it crouched lower as if trying to hide, so Dad told it in no uncertain terms to leave and it fled through the window, causing the curtains to waft as it passed through them. Are shared hallucinations or dreams possible? Or is the more likely explanation that they in fact saw what they think they saw?

quote:
Originally posted by Walsingham Tilde:
Some years ago, when we moved into a brand-new vicarage, we noticed an unpleasant smell around the front door. It grew stronger, so the drains were checked (new drains don’t always flow smoothly) but all was well. As the stench increased, we noticed three sinister things: first, that it was the unmistakeable smell of rotting flesh; secondly, that it was contained within a definite area - roughly a square metre; thirdly, that the area was moving. Over about a week it had moved through the hall – and then it started to come up the stairs.
At this point I did a house blessing and home Eucharist – and the phenomenon ended at once.

A dead rodent under the floor? It's astonishing how much they smell, it's most unpleasant, and it's very localised. It grows in intensity for a week or so, and then the corpse dries out and stops smelling (or the maggots finish their work). And of course one rat or mouse could move the body of another one very easily, or a change in the wind direction could affect the place where the smell gets into the house and you detect it.

I've lived in houses where this has happened twice. It's not common. But why, I wonder, would you think a smell was a sign of the supernatural? Well, you didn't at first, but then you did.

Posted by Ramarius (# 16551) on :

quote:

I was doing a week's mission in a small northern town some years ago. I was sleeping in a church hall, and woke up during the first night. I felt what I can only describe as a heavy presence in the room - so heavy I was finding it difficult to breathe. I prayed until I fell asleep but it was an uncomfortable experience. The team prayed in the room the next day and I slept better for the rest of the week.

During the week a couple of local young ladies started to come to our meeting. They were pleasant and engaging, but always wore black. During the week they came to faith. Explaining their spritiual journey they related how they had held seances in the church hall.

There are very good reasons why the idea that the material world is all that exists is, and always has been, a minority view amongst humanity.

[ 15. September 2012, 16:14: Message edited by: Ramarius ]

quote:
Originally posted by angelfish:
It is notable that doubters are often unable to produce any alternative explanation beyond "it was a coincidence". What, in the phantom smell case, do you think caused it Boogie?

I have no idea - it could have been one of many things. We had a terrible smell when a rat died in the cavity wall, it stopped smelling when nothing was left to smell, but was only discovered years later. Anyone could have called this unexplained smell 'supernatural'.

quote:
Are shared hallucinations or dreams possible?

Yes they are. The power of suggestion is incredibly strong.

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Are shared hallucinations or dreams possible?

Yes they are. The power of suggestion is incredibly strong.
Yes, but in my parents' case, who was doing the suggesting? They both woke up at the same time and saw the same thing. Nobody told them to expect it, or said that the house was haunted (although they did discover some time later that the previous owner had called in a spiritualist healer to try to help her mentally ill son). It is hard to see how the "power of suggestion" was at work in that case.

What is 'a figure of a man'? Why not a man? If you see a man, you see a man. If you see a figure of a man, it strikes me that you may be talking about indistinct shapes, about light and shadow. Who knows.

In your story, Angelfish, your father orders 'it' to leave, and it 'flees' through the window. This is already the description of a phantom. A real person at the foot of the bed could, conceivably leap through a window, but it wouldn't be described as fleeing. The curtains wouldn't waft, they would tangle and flap. Most people would be scared by a person in the bedroom, but would probably try to talk to them, rather than commanding them to go.

So the description you've given us is of something your father saw and, even as he saw it, decided was a phantom of some sort. So it seems to me. That your mother says she saw the same is hardly surprising. If I was woken from sleep by someone talking to a shadow, I've no idea what I'd see or think was going on, but I could well seize on another person's interpretation of events; I'm not very good in those first seconds of consciousness.

I've never seen a ghost or experienced anything paranormal. Nor have any of the CCTV cameras around, or people making YouTube videos. One of our shipmates once said he worked in a concentration camp and spent the night there on occasion and never saw a thing. The stories we do get are almost always very 'soft' in terms of facts, and often told in ways that show the person telling them has a propensity to believe in the supernatural, that is they describe things that I wouldn't assume to be paranormal, but which they do.

The evidence just isn't there, for me. And the desire to believe in a parallel reality is, I think, theologically and spiritually suspect.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramarius:
I was sleeping in a church hall, and woke up during the first night. I felt what I can only describe as a heavy presence in the room - so heavy I was finding it difficult to breathe. I prayed until I fell asleep but it was an uncomfortable experience. The team prayed in the room the next day and I slept better for the rest of the week.

It sounds to me like you experienced an episode of sleep paralysis:
quote:
Folk belief in Newfoundland, South Carolina and Georgia describe the negative figure of the hag who leaves her physical body at night, and sits on the chest of her victim. The victim usually wakes with a feeling of terror, has difficulty breathing because of a perceived heavy invisible weight on his or her chest, and is unable to move
One cause of this can be anxiety - quite understandable at the start of a mission and sleeping in a strange location, especially a church hall (yes I could tell some stories. I remember the one in Paris where the chap in the next sleeping bag along turned in saying "I suppose this is where we get to play 'meet the rodent'").

I'm glad this condition went away after prayer - but that's as likely to be because you were reassured as anything else.

quote:
During the week a couple of local young ladies started to come to our meeting. They were pleasant and engaging, but always wore black. During the week they came to faith. Explaining their spritiual journey they related how they had held seances in the church hall.
I assume you are intending to imply a connection between this and your experience - although you don't specifically say so.

Once again we come back to the problem of reporting. I presume that you heard these ladies' testimony first hand, but even if you did, how can you be sure they were telling the truth? And even if they were telling the truth, what would lead you to believe that their actions somehow explained what you experienced?

quote:

Welcome Walsingham Tilde.

I can confirm that dead rats seem attracted to new vicarages. We found one in the foundations of one we were to move into (before they were built upon fortunately) in 1953!

Why do you think the smell was supernatural?

quote:
quote:

Thank you. At least I would have thought that most contributors would have an open mind on most subjects of this kind that have not been scientifically proved. HughWillRidMe claims not to have.
Thanks passer - though I admit that I also was unaware of the meaning of ITTWACW.

Egg: I suspect that very few SoF contributors have an entirely open mind on the existence of the supernatural - it's just that most tend to acceptance rather than rejection. Do you have an open mind about the possibility that there is no supernatural?
quote:
[Continued] Actually there is a great deal of evidence for the existence of a supernatural being, stretching back at least 4000 years. such as?

It just doesn't happen to have been tested in a laboratory. It doesn’t have to be – The Templeton Foundation carried out a well organised and well funded trial relating to prayer without needing to go into a laboratory. The STEP Project

However most of those who do not believe would hesitate to call it silly, any more than they would call a belief that a rose smells sweeter than a dandelion, or that a sunset can be beautiful, or that love can exist between husband and wife, silly. You know the minds of most who do not believe? Even at 51% that's a heck of a lot of minds.

I have excellent evidence for the existence of roses and dandelions (though many modern roses have little or no scent) and can evaluate my preference without recourse to the supernatural. Similarly I can appreciate beauty without invoking some unknown agency and there is (in addition to my personal experiences) good experimental evidence for changes within the brain when people experience “love” click

You offer Bem and Honorton, Does psi exist? (http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/psy1.html). (Published 1994) – a more up-to-date comment is found here and includes

"Skepticism and controversy
Although not a recognized scientific discipline, people who study certain types of paranormal phenomena such as telepathy refer to the field as parapsychology. Parapsychologists claim that some instances of telepathy are real. Skeptics say that instances of apparent telepathy are explained as the result of fraud, self-delusion and/or self-deception and that telepathy does not exist as a paranormal power.

Parapsychologists and skeptics agree that many of the instances of more popular psychic phenomena, such as mediums, can be attributed to non-paranormal techniques such as cold reading. Magicians such as Ian Rowland and Derren Brown have demonstrated techniques and results similar to those of popular psychics, without paranormal means. They have identified, described, and developed psychological techniques of cold reading and hot reading.

A technique which shows statistically significant evidence of telepathy on every occasion has yet to be discovered. This lack of reliable reproducibility has led skeptics to argue that there is no credible scientific evidence for the existence of telepathy at all. Skeptics also point to historical cases in which flaws in experimental design and occasional cases of fraud were uncovered."

I return to my earlier point - that claiming (or appearing to claim) certain knowledge when it does not exist is wrong/immoral whether the claimant is promoting a second-hand car, a cure for arthritis or a belief in the supernatural. If one wishes to have an extraordinary claim accepted by another person one should present extraordinary proof. If one cannot present such proof what one has is an opinion, a belief, a conviction, a faith etc.. To my mind people are entitled to think what they like (oops - tenth commandment override?) but surely they are not morally allowed to claim certainty when discussing/promoting their (however sincerely held) beliefs?

quote:
What is 'a figure of a man'? Why not a man? If you see a man, you see a man. If you see a figure of a man, it strikes me that you may be talking about indistinct shapes, about light and shadow. Who knows.

In your story, Angelfish, your father orders 'it' to leave, and it 'flees' through the window. This is already the description of a phantom. A real person at the foot of the bed could, conceivably leap through a window, but it wouldn't be described as fleeing. The curtains wouldn't waft, they would tangle and flap. Most people would be scared by a person in the bedroom, but would probably try to talk to them, rather than commanding .
... And the desire to believe in a parallel reality is, I think, theologically and spiritually suspect

Well, I would have to ask him, but I am pretty sure my Dad described it as a "figure" because there was something not quite human about it, and the curtains wafted because that's how they moved. They didn't act as though a real human had just leaped through them (out of a closed first storey window by the way). As for the "commanding", I believe he said "get out" the first time which you might say to any unwelcome visitor, then when it crouched lower, "I can still see you, in Jesus' name get out". I am pretty certain that most burglars would have gone the first time, or bopped them both on the head.

You assume there is no paranormal, and therefore assume that people witnessing such things are layering meaning onto physical events but maybe it is you who are offering a post facto explaining-away of strange happenings.

Your point about the theologically suspect nature of all these things is interesting, and I would like to hear more on what your objections are on these grounds. For my part, I find evidence in scripture that there is indeed a spiritual plane, but that we are neither to seek to interfer with it, nor to fear it because we have authority in Jesus over any such beings.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
"Folk belief in Newfoundland, South Carolina and Georgia describe the negative figure of the hag who leaves her physical body at night, and sits on the chest of her victim. The victim usually wakes with a feeling of terror, has difficulty breathing because of a perceived heavy invisible weight on his or her chest, and is unable to move."

One cause of this can be anxiety - quite understandable at the start of a mission and sleeping in a strange location, especially a church hall (yes I could tell some stories. I remember the one in Paris where the chap in the next sleeping bag along turned in saying "I suppose this is where we get to play 'meet the rodent'").

I had this happen to me once as a teenager (I was about 15) when I woke up early one morning at home in my own bed, feeling unusually sluggish, seeing a repulsive leathery creature crouched on my chest draining my energies. It felt exactly like the above, and I was unable to move. The image faded out and strength slowly started to return.

Mornings for me have almost always started pretty high-pitched - far from sluggish, I'm usually awake very quickly. That morning I felt drained. There's never been a repeat experience, but it fits the description. It is essentially what the succubus/incubus is said to do: they aren't always sexual, but are always vampiric in nature.

angelfish said
quote:
You assume there is no paranormal, and therefore assume that people witnessing such things are layering meaning onto physical events but maybe it is you who are offering a post facto explaining-away of strange happenings.
A problem, I agree. How can one choose between two different viewpoints, each of which has its own assumptions?

Perhaps I could make two points in support of my viewpoint. First, that we have two good examples on this page of supposed paranormal events being easily explained by natural phenomena: dead rodent and sleep paralysis. Your father's experience isn't being dealt with so easily. The point is not only that the non-supernatural viewpoint offers a better or more elegant description, but that comparing the two viewpoints often reveals that the paranormal alternative includes what I'm reluctant to call a leap of faith (I like leaps of faith!), but that sort of thing, a readiness or eagerness to make the paranormal assumption.

The second point is that paranormal beliefs seem to be strongly culturally conditioned. The beliefs people pick up about ghosts, demons, telepathy and so on strongly influence the experiences they report. A trivial example would be the apparitions of Jesus or Mary that people see in toast or flaking paintwork. They are really apparitions of the traditional depictions of Jesus and Mary, because we have no idea how either of them looked. Similarly I think, though I lack the knowledge and evidence to prove it, that the ghosts people see are really examples of what their culture believes a ghost to be, and that the ghosts people in other cultures see are therefore different.

Which means that there is no natural phenomenon behind it. That's not to say that it isn't important or significant, but that it needs to be approached in different terms.

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

The oddest experience I know of is that of my aunt, who woke (or perhaps was still asleep and dreaming, but felt at the time like she woke) one night in October 1942 to see her grandfather sitting beside her bed. He didn't say anything and she reported later a feeling of unease rather than the sense of comfort she normally had in her grandfather's presence. When she really woke in the morning and mentioned this to her family (she was 12 at the time) they reminded her that it was impossible for her grandfather to be there as they all knew he was on a ship at sea at the time.

Only a couple of days later, wartime communications being what they were, did they find out that on the same night she claimed to have seen her grandfather, his ship was torpedoed and sunk, and her grandfather was among those killed.

What strikes me as very odd about this story is that the belief that the dead "check in" with living family members as they're dying someplace far away is very common here in Newfoundland and many families would have stories similar to my aunt's. But my aunt and her family were very staunch Seventh-day Adventists and the belief that "the dead know not anything," and can make no "visits" or have no contact (due to there being no immortal soul) was extremely strongly ingrained in them. They would all, my then-12-year-old aunt included, have been horrified at the idea. So it goes directly against the grain of the common belief that in paranormal experiences people see what they expect to see and what is congruent with their belief system.

My aunt would NOT have believed in ghosts or spirits, and would have had no possible way of knowing of her grandfather's death (he was an officer on a civilian passenger vessel, though during wartime when there was certainly some risk of enemy action, but no immediate reason why she would have been anxious about his safety on that particular voyage). Yet there are numerous family members, some still living, who can attest that she reported the dream/vision/visitation well before anyone knew of the vessel's sinking.

I don't believe in ghosts but have always had to file this story under "there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio..."

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

quote:
I think it's not just be good science, but good theology to say that there is just one world, and that there isn't another world alongside it, no spirit dimension, no supernatural realm. Everything that happens, that is real, happens in this one world.

This is, of course, not "good science", it is simply not (modern) science at all. It is a philosophical stance. Confusion arises because the working hypothesis of modern natural science is that all observations, or at least all repeatable ones, can be related to each other by regular relationships. But it is not necessary that one makes this hypothesis the foundation of one's philosophy. Instead one can consider this merely as a methodological principle. That is to say, having made (repeatable) observations, (modern) scientists always start by seeking their regular relationships to previous observations.

You further confuse the discussion by claiming that a "spirit dimension" or "supernatural realm" would require "another world". This is true only in a trivial sense, i.e., if we simply make use of the broad meaning of "world" to use it as a synonym for "dimension" or "realm". However, it is entirely possible and coherent to believe that there is only "one world" in a more profound sense, but that this one world has aspects that one may distinguish from each other by talking about dimensions and realms.

Finally, as far as Christian theology is concerned, it is terribly bad theology to insist that there is exactly and only one world. In fact, this simply isn't Christian by any stretch of imagination. Quite apart from any "next world" of eschatology, the utter minimum a Christian must admit is that there is on one hand the world, and on the other hand God, and that however closely related they may be, they are distinct entities. So if we wish to call God a Spirit or supernatural, and why would we not, then it is a sine qua non for Christian theology to assume a separate "spirit dimension" or "supernatural realm" at least in this sense.

quote:
It's not a purely material world. There are ideas, culture, language and more and these things have an effect on each other. A message from one person to another can have a physical effect. A joke told out there may make my keyboard wet with coffee. Ghosts, though, inhabit an in-between world. They are supposed to have direct physical effects - temperature drop, say.

You apparently think that you have made a distinction here. However, you did not. The not-purely-material (according to you) ideation of the joke had a direct physical effect: the control of muscles that made you spit your coffee. You need to argue why this is distinct from a ghost making temperatures drop. The materialist will of course simply answer that neither joke nor ideation thereof have any real existence apart from being instantiated in matter, providing a clean distinction from the ghost. But you apparently are not a materialist. Hence you must say how the incorporeal aspect of you is distinct from an incorporeal ghost, such that one can have direct physical effects and the other can't.

quote:
It could be that the paranormal exists but deliberately stays out of clear view. That gives you a seriously weird world to live in, a Trueman show version of reality.

Homing pigeons apparently have magnetoception, i.e., they can sense the earth's magnetic field and use that for orienting themselves. This may seem weird to us, but it would seem natural to the pigeons. Until the invention of the compass, none of the observations with our senses would have picked up what they are seeing. Insects use the polarisation of light to navigate. Until we invented polarising filters, this kind of observation was closed to us as well. Finally, there are indications that some people are born as tetrachromates, having four photopigments rather than three, and that they may have a richer colour experience in consequence (being able to see actual colour differences that trichromates can't perceive). There is hence nothing inherently illogical with the assumption that people have senses out of reach to current science and technology, and furthermore with the assumption that only some people have access to these sensations. Whether that is likely is a different question, but ghosts certainly could stay out of clear view of cameras and "untalented" sceptics, without implying any kind of "Trueman show" conspiracy.

quote:
It could be that the whole paranormal including ghosts is better understood as a human and cultural phenomenon. That is, that some people will sometimes see things, and that what they see will depend on where they live, what ideas they've grown up with, what stories they heard as a child, and what they expect. We would expect that the experiences people report will be shaped by their culture. They will be experiencing a cultural phenomenon, but as if it were an external event.

Exactly the same could be said if there was a real perception, however. Nobody doubts that the perception of sound is real, yet what music sounds well is culturally shaped. Nobody doubts the reality of visual input, yet what one makes of modern Western art depends on one's upbringing. The question what kinds of smell are acceptable still varies strongly across the world, and certainly has varied in our own cultural history - yet all of them are detected by the nose. All that is required for the perception of ghosts to become culturally shaped is that this perception has a minimum of complexity to it. Since the actual reports are not simple, we would expect to get variations depending on time, place and person, with perhaps some "core phenomenon" lurking in an ill-defined intersection of the various reports.

quote:
I remember a friend, a scientist and a sceptic, telling a group of us about a haunted house he had lived in, and the many people who went there and were so scared they couldn't stay for the whole night. It was very impressive and credible evidence. On another occasion he talked about it again, and admitted that he had never seen or heard a single suspicious thing, and that those who had stayed, all university students, had probably all been well aware of the house's reputation, and in many cases quite deliberately primed with a few good creepy ghost stories. He said he was sure it could all be explained by suggestion, expectation and the atmosphere of a very remote and old house.

This is all quite possible, of course. However, it is also possible that this scientist and sceptic simply happens to be "deaf and blind" to any kind of "supernatural" sensations. Indeed, perhaps he is a sceptic (and even a scientist) precisely because of this supernatural handicap. There certainly is no a priori reason to dismiss the evidence of many people against the evidence of one person, just because the former may have been "primed and biased". For what do we know of the priming and biases of that single person?

quote:
I've never seen a ghost or experienced anything paranormal. Nor have any of the CCTV cameras around, or people making YouTube videos. One of our shipmates once said he worked in a concentration camp and spent the night there on occasion and never saw a thing. The stories we do get are almost always very 'soft' in terms of facts, and often told in ways that show the person telling them has a propensity to believe in the supernatural, that is they describe things that I wouldn't assume to be paranormal, but which they do. The evidence just isn't there, for me.

All of this is entirely compatible with some different sense being involved here, which is generally quite weak and/or irregularly used, and gets "projected" into the regular senses in the final percept. A kind of synesthesia, if you will, perhaps caused at brain level by the lack of a well-formed dedicated sensory area dealing with this kind of input. It would also be quite natural for people who have more such experiences to attribute more phenomena in the world to this category. Perhaps they explain too much by this, but perhaps also you "explain away" too much.

quote:
Similarly I think, though I lack the knowledge and evidence to prove it, that the ghosts people see are really examples of what their culture believes a ghost to be, and that the ghosts people in other cultures see are therefore different. Which means that there is no natural phenomenon behind it.

Well, but there precisely could be a common "supernatural" phenomenon behind it, which is sufficiently complex to allow cultural loading. This certainly would be helped if the phenomenon is also difficult and/or rare to perceive, which is what is typically reported. Basically, what you make of some kind of presence at the edge of detection of some uncommon perceptual mode is easily modified by cultural expectations.

Having said all this, I do not have any supernatural experiences to report myself, at least not of the direct "ghostly encounter" kind. I have however had meditative / contemplative experiences that ultimately turned me into a theist. (I'm not sure that I could share these if I wanted to, but I don't want to anyway...) So I'm open to the idea of valid perceptions that go beyond the regular senses. This does not necessarily make "ghosts" real, but it makes the possibility that some of these observations are based on something real more plausible - for me.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
The oddest experience I know of is that of my aunt, who woke (or perhaps was still asleep and dreaming, but felt at the time like she woke) one night in October 1942 to see her grandfather sitting beside her bed. He didn't say anything and she reported later a feeling of unease rather than the sense of comfort she normally had in her grandfather's presence. When she really woke in the morning and mentioned this to her family (she was 12 at the time) they reminded her that it was impossible for her grandfather to be there as they all knew he was on a ship at sea at the time.

Only a couple of days later, wartime communications being what they were, did they find out that on the same night she claimed to have seen her grandfather, his ship was torpedoed and sunk, and her grandfather was among those killed.

What strikes me as very odd about this story is that the belief that the dead "check in" with living family members as they're dying someplace far away is very common here in Newfoundland and many families would have stories similar to my aunt's....

I've never been the sort of person who has these experiences, and would prefer not to, but I'm under the impression that this sort of thing happens quite often and in Britain also is widely believed in.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

It's weird (says she sceptically) how often ghostly sightings involve clothes.

It seems to me, you need some clear idea of what a ghost might be. So, for example, if you believe it to be a lost soul - you might not expect it to be visible. Or perhaps you think it to be the dead person's soul reprojecting its own image of itself into the world ?

You also really need to be able to exclude quite long list of well recognised phenomena:

This list is not exhaustive - but it comes back to the idea that if you are going to make extraordinary claims, to be credible, you need to have a reasonable go at excluding ordinary causes.

Posted by Walsingham Tilde (# 17311) on :

Back to smelling a rat:
Yes, rats were our immediate thought. Years ago my wife had lived in an old farmhouse with dead rats under the floorboards: vile, but nothing supernatural!

I quite like (in a grisly sort of way) hatless’ theory that some rotting matter was being pushed along by another creature until the decaying process was complete, at which point the smell ceased; but that this should coincide with the house blessing is rather pushing it. Neither would it explain how that limited and specific area of smell could climb stairs.

What made the experience so sinister was the accompanying feeling of dread: a strong sense that something was implicitly wrong. OK, a sceptic could say that we are hard-wired to equate the smell of decomposition with death and danger - and so we shrink from it.

But widening the point: what does make a phenomenon “supernatural”? Can “hard evidence” ever prove (rather than disprove) such an event?

That's got to depend on your theory of the supernatural surely ?

If you assert that, say, a poltergiest flings a knife across your kitchen at 15:00 precisely everyday Friday, it ought to be possible to film that. And to test out a series of alternative theories as to why it is happening - i.e. does it only happen when people are in the house, what happens if you remove all the knives, what happens if everything in the knife drawer is plastic etc.

Were we definitely to show that the knife gets thrown, and also when you are not there, and also when plastic, and all the drawers open in sequence then get banged shut when there are no knives in the kitchen - then the thing you would probably do next is bring in every kind of scanner known to beast and see if you could image what was happening.

Because you are assuming something is able to exert physical force in the material world and therefore must have some kind of energy in the physical world.

Someone appearing to you as they were dying sounds like some kind of telepathic link - and would call for a very different kind of investigation. But one could only investigate if it is believed that the phenomena are happening in the physical world - if you are being vouchsafed a vision of an angel then you are straight back to the world of faith.

Anything seems supernatural until you can explain it, imagine God turned out to be the emergent consciousness of the complexity that is the universe - that somehow we were able to verify that was where all religious experience and action came from - would God still be supernatural at that point ?

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I onced had an odd experience with a doorbell, observed by a collection of physicists who could not explain it.
I was an early adopter of wireless doorbells, and had a model which had the option of the receiver being powered from the mains. This was necessary as it devoured batteries with an unbelievable hunger.
After I had had it for a while, it started to ring when there was no-one at the door.
I checked out to make sure that there was no-one about playing Knock-down-ginger, but no-one seemd to be around. The nearest similar bell was several hundred yards down the road (I knew after collecting charity envelopes).
Assuming that there was a fault, or perhaps, an effect from someone's electrical equipment, I put a note by the bellpush, asking people to press twice.
And after a brief while, the fault started to ring twice, too.
The evening with the physicists, it began to ring about the hour, each hour. It did not ring when disconnected from the mains. I did not have any equipment with a timer or a thermostat which could have produced a signal through the mains. there was a car in a neighbouring road which had broken down. I asked the repair guy if there had been hourly attempts to restart it, but there had not.
And, during the evening, as we discussed, without changing the note, upping the number of rings, the number of rings at each event started to increase.
The next day I took it back to the shop for a refund. The shop had discontinued the model.
But it does stick in my mind, and that of the friend who was the contact for the physicists, that there had begun to be evidence of cunning about it.

[ 16. September 2012, 15:22: Message edited by: Penny S ]

quote:
I think, though I lack the knowledge and evidence to prove it, that the ghosts people see are really examples of what their culture believes a ghost to be, and that the ghosts people in other cultures see are therefore different.

Which means that there is no natural phenomenon behind it. That's not to say that it isn't important or significant, but that it needs to be approached in different terms.

This is roughly where I've got to in my thinking - especially the last part.

I think that a lot of what is reported about ghosts resembles cultural constructs - but this view should not be misinterpreted as pooh-poohing such reports.

Cultural constructs have power and have, if you wish, a life of their own (regular readers may note the similarity with my working theory of territorial spirits for which I am indebted to Tom Marshall). These constructs affect our feelings, reactions, and behaviours in ways that can be far-reaching, and that we don't fully understand.

I think problems start when we try to apply a remedy from one set of cultural constructs to problems framed within a different set of constructs. [ETA: The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul could be described as exploring the comic aspects when cultural constructs collide]. That's one of the reasons the Bethel-style deliverance ministry alarms me. It's cultural dissonance or something.

I would be tempted to explain Trudy Scrumptious' relative's experience in terms of some sort of 'hive mind' interconsciousness than in terms of someone coming back from the dead.

Saying a prayer of exorcism over a mobile bad smell? I'm not sure. If it worked, great - I think the danger would be to generalise too much or think that one had a recipe for dealing with such problems.

[ 16. September 2012, 16:25: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

Just based on the beliefs of most people at most times, and that it conflicts with nothing in my understanding of Christian theology, I have no problem with the existence of ghosts (nor with a variety of peculiar sapient whatsits that are, in theory, neither human nor angel/demon; they would still be created by God, whether fallen or not, of course, like everything else in Creation). I think some experiences of ghosts (and the like) are definitely not really ghosts (as we see on shows like Ghost Hunters, in which they point out structural or mechanical factors that wholly account for the described experiences); some are probably paranormal experiences which need not be ghosts in the conventional sense (imprinted emotions or memories in a location which are like a psychic "photograph" without anyone still hanging about, etc.); and some are probably, indeed, sapient discarnate humans (or other things, depending).

I've had some experiences, particularly with my own beloved Daddy Vern (well, in the ghost-related category; there are other experiences in other categories as well), but not many, and I don't like to make assumptions. I trust that God is taking care of him, and I believe that he is always with me in whatever way is most appropriate for his situation.

I'm OK with not being wholly sure of any given experience being pinned down as absolutely, definitively supernatural. If I encounter what I think is some sort of ghost in future, I'll certainly pray for them apart from anything else.

Posted by Ramarius (# 16551) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by Ramarius:
I was sleeping in a church hall, and woke up during the first night. I felt what I can only describe as a heavy presence in the room - so heavy I was finding it difficult to breathe. I prayed until I fell asleep but it was an uncomfortable experience. The team prayed in the room the next day and I slept better for the rest of the week.

It sounds to me like you experienced an episode of sleep paralysis:
quote:
Folk belief in Newfoundland, South Carolina and Georgia describe the negative figure of the hag who leaves her physical body at night, and sits on the chest of her victim. The victim usually wakes with a feeling of terror, has difficulty breathing because of a perceived heavy invisible weight on his or her chest, and is unable to move

I'm glad this condition went away after prayer - but that's as likely to be because you were reassured as anything else.

quote:
I assume you are intending to imply a connection between this and your experience - although you don't specifically say so.

Once again we come back to the problem of reporting. I presume that you heard these ladies' testimony first hand, but even if you did, how can you be sure they were telling the truth? And even if they were telling the truth, what would lead you to believe that their actions somehow explained what you experienced?

Yes I saw the two incidents as connected, yes I heard the ladies first hand, no I didn't see any reason to disbelieve them. I know what stress related sleeplessness feels like, having a highly stressful job.... Your alternative explanation is interesting, but less convincing to me personally.

Didn't see any hags - or rats. Some friends of mine doing mission in India used to say you really had to get worried when the rats all ran away. Usually an indication that there was a python in the room

[Ultra confused]

quote:
[QUOTE]. If one wishes to have an extraordinary claim accepted by another person one should present extraordinary proof.

I think Daffyd answered this argument on a previous thread .

quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
quote:
[QUOTE]. If one wishes to have an extraordinary claim accepted by another person one should present extraordinary proof.

I don't

Daffyd takes issue with the use of the word extraordinary - the need for proof is not addressed.

Human beings are not born with a belief in a supernatural world – they have to be taught it. Teaching should include evidence that what is being taught is valid or it should be taught as hypothesis. The more unlikely a hypothesis the greater the need for validation. Unlikeliness(?) can be graded with reference to evidence.

Believing it will rain tomorrow (here in Middle England) is currently fairly rational based upon weather records/forecasts.

Believing that there is an unknowable dimension to our universe which requires liberal applications of my time, effort and money so that other humans may enjoy power, wealth and status at my expense seems, to me, to need a more rigorous standard of validation (but I’d settle for the same scientific method that validates doctor’s prescriptions).

As Carl Sagan is claimed to have said “Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.”

I think the sleep paralysis explanation while compelling is not complete enough in itself. I've had a few dreams of either being in another place unable to move and also waking dreams where I've been in the darkness of my own room and paralysed. But on all those occasions the panic associated with the paralysis is in response to and secondary to a powerfully realised external threat. Mostly this would be manifest as being literally pinned down in the bed by something but occasionally it would be the perception of some entity being nearby and approaching. It's not a perception/feeling I've had at any stage in the real world, a combination of concentrated "unclean" and evil that literally turns the stomach - and very much personified, not at all vague.

The times this has happened I've managed to pray, once only managing to slur out a 'Jesus...' with great effort when I felt my jaw was being pressed into the pillow. And every time in an instant the presence left. Despite being fairly sober as far as supernatural manifestations are concerned, I've little doubt that these have been of demonic origin, not something I'd interpret as "ghost" activity. And not least because the paralysis/evil dreams stopped since I've backslidden from a more active practicing faith. If the combination was a natural, if infrequent, human experience I would have expected to still be having those dreams.

(And now I'm off to bed [Paranoid] [Help] )

I don't know if you have come across Dr Susan Blackmore's research on this phenomenon. It can be experimentally induced, and she actually underwent the procedure and describes her experiences in that link.

quote:
Human beings are not born with a belief in a supernatural world – they have to be taught it.

I don't think that's true. I've known a lot of kids who are born with a gift of seeing things in the spirit realm; we just usually train them out of it with our belief in strict scientific materialism.

quote:
Human beings are not born with a belief in a supernatural world – they have to be taught it.

Or experience it untaught/unsought.

Paul on Damascus road. Various other classic saints startled by an unsought encounter with a personality they didn't believe in. Occasional modern day folks similarly startled.

On the whole I'd say kids live closer than adults to awareness of this realm, are more likely taught by adults not to "see" it.

I would love photos to be put on a high shelf where people have 'out of body' experiences. If they see the photos then we will have scientific proof.

[Big Grin]

Tangent alert
This isn't about a claimed paranormal experience and so strictly is outside the OP. However, that doesn't seem to have bothered a lot of other shipmates who have posted their opinions rather than experiences on this thread.

Why does it have to be assumed that if there are what we call paranormal experiences, there is a separate spiritual realm, one that is quite different from the natural one that we can see and touch? Why shouldn't the invisible be part of the same universe as we are in, and not a different one? We can't see the ultra-violet or infra-red. We can't hear sound outside the range of our ears. But we accept they are all there because scientists tell us so.

Why then do we not accept that what we might call the spiritual is there, just because clergy and others tell us it is?

quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
I've known a lot of kids who are born with a gift of seeing things in the spirit realm

This sounds very interesting. I would love to hear more about it. How many of them, how the gift manifested, how did they share these experiences with adults, how they came to lose it, what happened to them then, what their memories of it are - that sort of thing.

quote:
I would love photos to be put on a high shelf where people have 'out of body' experiences. If they see the photos then we will have scientific proof.

[Big Grin]

Have you read this ?

Not sure whether the results are out yet.

quote:
quote:
I've known a lot of kids who are born with a gift of seeing things in the spirit realm

This sounds very interesting. I would love to hear more about it. How many of them, how the gift manifested, how did they share these experiences with adults, how they came to lose it, what happened to them then, what their memories of it are - that sort of thing.
I don't know exactly. In my experience most kids (under 5) have some sort of sense of something else, something other than the strictly material. They just don't know how to talk about it. Of course, kids that age don't necessarily know how to talk about the material world, either - they simply don't have the vocabulary for it and adults fill it in by providing or correcting words when they can figure out what their kids are trying to say.

But a lot of adults don't have the vocabulary either (because they don't believe in those things and/or have lost the ability to see them). IME this doesn't just happen with spiritual/supernatural things, but with other intuitions - ie, the kid knows that their parents are upset or angry about something, but instead of reassuring them that they are upset about something that happened at work not something the kid did or that they are angry with each other because adults sometimes argue and become angry they simply deny that the kid's intuition is correct. So the kid learns not to trust it and not to talk about it (there's no point in telling someone you see a ghost if they respond that ghosts don't exist). When it comes to the supernatural/spiritual mostly parents don't know what the hell the kid is talking about and just ignore it, although occasionally you'll run across someone either with a strong enough gift or a powerful enough ghost who wants to get a message through that people have to acknowledge that something weird is going on.

Most of the kids I've known grow out of having this skill around age 5 - I don't know if that's a developmental thing or the result of the fact that in the US that's when we send our kids to school and even if parents tend to be tolerant of the kids talking about it, teachers are not. Most of the people I've known who have retained some ability in this area had teachers who were tolerant - even if they didn't think the kid was talking about something real they chalked it up to them having an active imagination and didn't discourage them. The ones who get trained out of it generally don't remember having the gift at all (most people I've encountered don't remember a lot that happened before they were five). The ones who don't grow up to be adults who are generally thought a bit weird.

Does that answer your question? (Not really sure what you're looking for here)

quote:

[Big Grin]

Not unusual to read of people who "die" on the operating table and have an out of body experience and later tell what they saw in the operating room and in the waiting room -- who was doing what -- that the NDE person had no other way of knowing but the details were correct.

One problem with your proposed experiment is, why would the person having an out of body experience be interested (during that out-of-body time) in looking at those photos? Even if interested enough while fully conscious to agree to the experiment, priorities may be quite different during the experience.

quote:
quote:

[Big Grin]

Not unusual to read of people who "die" on the operating table and have an out of body experience and later tell what they saw in the operating room and in the waiting room -- who was doing what -- that the NDE person had no other way of knowing but the details were correct.

One problem with your proposed experiment is, why would the person having an out of body experience be interested (during that out-of-body time) in looking at those photos? Even if interested enough while fully conscious to agree to the experiment, priorities may be quite different during the experience.

I don't think there are many people who would be willing to be very nearly killed for experimental purposes, so as to find out whether they could check what pictures were on a shelf. I certainly wouldn't.

Yeah, the problem with these sorts of experiences is that they're by definition non-replicable, meaning there's never going to be scientific proof for those who require that sort of thing.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
quote:

I don't

Daffyd takes issue with the use of the word extraordinary - the need for proof is not addressed.

Human beings are not born with a belief in a supernatural world – they have to be taught it. Teaching should include evidence that what is being taught is valid or it should be taught as hypothesis. The more unlikely a hypothesis the greater the need for validation. Unlikeliness(?) can be graded with reference to evidence."

You're arguing in a circle, and avoiding Daffyd's point. You're saying that an "unlikely hypothesis" is one that requires "validation." But since you've defined neither an "unlikely hypothesis" nor what would constitute an appropriate "validation" the statement is vacuous. Hume's original proposition popularly expressed as "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" is disproved by probability theory. The claim that the winning lottery number came up on the Euro draw is an extraordinary claim given the unlikeliness of the event. But you don't need extraordinary evidence to validate the claim.

Daffyd's point is well made. What should be considered likely or unlikely, ordinary or extraordinary, will depend on the background beliefs of the people concerned. If your a priori assumption is that the material world is all that exists, then any reference to a non-material or supernatural reality will be extraordinary. But this is based not on evidence, but on a philosophical world view - metaphysical naturalism.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Nope. And I never will. There again I didn't believe in Irritable Bowel Syndrome either ...

Sigh. Irritable Bowel Syndrome... oh, how I wish this disease was just a made-up fairy tale!

Posted by Michael Reilly (# 16025) on :

What Are Ghosts?

-- from "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Heaven", by Dr. Peter Kreeft (Ignatius Press, 1990).

"Without our action or invitation, the dead often do appear to the living. There is enormous evidence of 'ghosts' in all cultures .... We can distinguish three kinds of ghosts, I believe. First, the most familiar kind: the sad ones, the wispy ones. They seem to be working out some unfinished earthly business, or suffering some purgatorial purification until released from their earthly business. These ghosts would seem to be the ones who just barely made it to Purgatory, who feel little or no joy yet and who need to learn many painful lessons about their past life on earth."

"Second, there are malicious and deceptive spirits - and since they are_deceptive, they hardly ever appear malicious. These are probably the ones who respond to conjurings at seances. They probably come from Hell. Even the chance_of that happening should be sufficient to terrify away all temptations to necromancy."

"Third, there are bright, happy spirits of dead friends and family, especially spouses, who appear unbidden, at God's will, not ours, with messages of hope and love. They seem to come from Heaven. Unlike the purgatorial ghosts who come back primarily for their own sakes, these bright spirits come back for the sake of us the living, to tell us all is well. They are aped by evil spirits who say the same, who speak 'peace, peace, when there is no peace'. But the deception works only one way: the fake can deceive by appearing genuine, but the genuine never deceives by appearing fake. Heavenly spirits always convince us that they are genuinely good. Even the bright spirits appear ghostlike to us because a ghost of any type is one whose substance does not belong in or come from this world. In Heaven these spirits are not ghosts but real, solid and substantial because they are at home there: One can't be a ghost in one's own country."

"That there are all three kinds of ghosts is enormously likely. Even taking into account our penchant to deceive and be deceived, our credulity and fakery, there remain so many trustworthy accounts of all three types of ghosts - trustworthy by every ordinary empirical and psychological standard - that only a dogmatic prejudice against them could prevent us from believing they exist. As Chesterton says, 'We believe an old apple woman when she says she ate an apple; but when she says she saw a ghost, we say 'But she's only an old apple woman.' A most undemocratic and unscientific prejudice."

-- from "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Heaven", by Dr. Peter Kreeft (Ignatius Press, 1990).
quote:

Food for thought.

Look heah, now, I’ve got the works of all the old mastahs-the gweat ahchaeologists of the past. I wigh them against each other-balance the disagweements-analyse the conflicting statements-decide which is pwobably cowwect-and come to a conclusion. That is the scientific method. At least”-patronizingly-“as I see it. How insuffewably cwude it would be to go to Ahcturus, oah to Sol, foah instance, and blundah about, when the old mastahs have covahed the gwound so much moah effectively than we could possibly hope to do”
Lord Dorwin – Foundation by Isaac Asimov

"If you tell people that an invisible man in the sky created the universe and everything in it then they will believe it without question BUT tell them that the paint is wet and they have to touch it...just to make sure!"
the late George Carlin

If I claim that my impression is valid evidence, if I claim that my preferred tradition is valid evidence, if I claim that something someone wrote/told me is valid evidence and if I claim that not being able to disprove my theory is valid evidence then, for me, nothing is true – because, if I so choose, nothing is untrue – it all just is.

And that is silly.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't know exactly. In my experience most kids (under 5) have some sort of sense of something else, something other than the strictly material. They just don't know how to talk about it. Of course, kids that age don't necessarily know how to talk about the material world, either - they simply don't have the vocabulary for it and adults fill it in by providing or correcting words when they can figure out what their kids are trying to say.
I don’t see how your observation of children’s behaviour makes the leap to “the spirit realm”. If they don’t know how to talk about it, how do you know it is what you think it is? I’m assuming that you don’t use your own powers of adult suggestion to provide words for them?
quote:
But a lot of adults don't have the vocabulary either (because they don't believe in those things and/or have lost the ability to see them).

It’s only your personal opinion that we have lost the ability to see something we can’t understand or define. I can’t know that I don’t know about something I don’t know about in the first place.
quote:
IME this doesn't just happen with spiritual/supernatural things, but with other intuitions - ie, the kid knows that their parents are upset or angry about something, but instead of reassuring them that they are upset about something that happened at work not something the kid did or that they are angry with each other because adults sometimes argue and become angry they simply deny that the kid's intuition is correct.

This is slightly different, as you’re referring to behaviour within our understanding. In such cases I don’t think the child’s intuition is being impugned. It’s social intercourse, and this is how the child learns it, through the parents. As long as the parents don’t transfer responsibility for the upset to the child the child learns that sometimes it’s best not to get involved.
quote:
So the kid learns not to trust it and not to talk about it (there's no point in telling someone you see a ghost if they respond that ghosts don't exist). When it comes to the supernatural/spiritual mostly parents don't know what the hell the kid is talking about and just ignore it, although occasionally you'll run across someone either with a strong enough gift or a powerful enough ghost who wants to get a message through that people have to acknowledge that something weird is going on.

You’re back to the spirit world here and I think you’re extrapolating too far. I believe that in the example you use the child is more likely to learn the opposite – to trust the feeling that there’s stuff going on between people significant in his life that he should not try to get involved in. This doesn’t relate to abstract things that the child might perceive that aren’t relationship based. Because children don’t talk about ghosts you can’t just deduce that they choose not to; perhaps it’s because they don’t see them.
quote:
Most of the kids I've known grow out of having this skill around age 5 - I don't know if that's a developmental thing or the result of the fact that in the US that's when we send our kids to school and even if parents tend to be tolerant of the kids talking about it, teachers are not.

I don’t understand how you can determine the personal development of very young children who are not within your own family circle but are within another family circle. You’re positing opinions based on personal suppositions about third and fourth parties that are unverifiable.
quote:
Most of the people I've known who have retained some ability in this area had teachers who were tolerant - even if they didn't think the kid was talking about something real they chalked it up to them having an active imagination and didn't discourage them.

So you know people who have retained this ability to see into the spirit world?
quote:
The ones who get trained out of it generally don't remember having the gift at all (most people I've encountered don't remember a lot that happened before they were five).

Maybe they don’t remember having said gift because they didn’t have it.

quote:
The ones who don't grow up to be adults who are generally thought a bit weird.

I see.
quote:

Not really. I can see that you broke my query down and addressed the individual points, but what you’ve written is strong on generalisation and supposition and weak on detail. However, thanks for the response. I can accept that you believe it to be the case, but I am unconvinced. Sometimes people just want to believe stuff so hard, in order to satisfy some inner need, that they find ways of convincing themselves. It's allowed.

I've never experienced a ghost, though my wife has. She was on a back (once servant's) staircase of a Victorian building when she was working alone in the building in the small hours. She was editing radio programmes at the time and on her way to the record library to fetch something. She was aware that there was a bit of a history of a fleeting figure being seen in the building at night, so kind of knew what it was when she unlocked a door to the staircase and was physically pushed and kept back as something went past her. She didn't see anything. She didn't find it frightening, just surprising, and is completely convinced of it.

quote:
I don’t see how your observation of children’s behaviour makes the leap to “the spirit realm”. If they don’t know how to talk about it, how do you know it is what you think it is? I’m assuming that you don’t use your own powers of adult suggestion to provide words for them?

No, I don't use my powers of adult suggestion, I use my adult vocabulary, in the same way I use my adult vocabulary to provide my niece with the word for 'dog'.

quote:
It’s only your personal opinion that we have lost the ability to see something.

My bad. I thought it was clear that I was talking about some people; I do in fact know people who have lost the ability to see these things. It isn't actually only my personal opinion, although it certainly is a belief that not everyone shares.
quote:
This is slightly different, as you’re referring to behaviour within our understanding. In such cases I don’t think the child’s intuition is being impugned. It’s social intercourse, and this is how the child learns it, through the parents. As long as the parents don’t transfer responsibility for the upset to the child the child learns that sometimes it’s best not to get involved.

Either your understanding of child development is vastly different from mine or you've completely missed my point. Apparently you don't understand it when someone makes an analogy to an experience another person might have had in order to explain an experience they might not have had either.

You're right, it's social intercourse, and this is how the child learns it. Sometimes the child learns that even if its parents are yelling and throwing things, they are not actually angry, and they shouldn't say that they are. In less extreme cases, sometimes the child learns not to develop their intuition.

quote:
You’re back to the spirit world here and I think you’re extrapolating too far. I believe that in the example you use the child is more likely to learn the opposite – to trust the feeling that there’s stuff going on between people significant in his life that he should not try to get involved in. This doesn’t relate to abstract things that the child might perceive that aren’t relationship based. Because children don’t talk about ghosts you can’t just deduce that they choose not to; perhaps it’s because they don’t see them.

[Confused] Who is deducing that because children don't talk about ghosts it's because they choose not to? I was talking about kids who talk about ghosts, are told ghosts don't exist, and demonstrate to others that something is communicating with them by telling others true information concerning, for example, their recent death. And I still think you're wrong that a child learns to trust the feeling that there's something significant going on between the people significant in his life that he shouldn't get involved in it when they completely deny having certain feelings. A more extreme and abusive form of this behavior is called gaslighting.

quote:
I don’t understand how you can determine the personal development of very young children who are not within your own family circle but are within another family circle. You’re positing opinions based on personal suppositions about third and fourth parties that are unverifiable.

No, they're unprovable and undemonstrable to a third unrelated party who has never talked to any of these people (you).
quote:
So you know people who have retained this ability to see into the spirit world?

Yes.
quote:
Maybe they don’t remember having said gift because they didn’t have it.

Nobody ever said everyone had this gift. I was talking about people that I know. As I think I said upthread, I know two brothers. We once saw a ghost together - the ghost of one of their elderly relatives in another country who told us he had died and gave us specific information to tell their father. I don't remember this, but I've been told their father laughed it off until later when he received a phone call that the relative had in fact died. One brother now has no sense of anything supernatural or spiritual, while the other retains a sense that there's sometimes some other presence in the room.

quote:
quote:

Not really. I can see that you broke my query down and addressed the individual points, but what you’ve written is strong on generalisation and supposition and weak on detail. However, thanks for the response. I can accept that you believe it to be the case, but I am unconvinced. Sometimes people just want to believe stuff so hard, in order to satisfy some inner need, that they find ways of convincing themselves. It's allowed.
Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted convincing. I could have saved us both some time, as IME it's impossible to convince someone who hasn't experienced something of its existence. Although who the hell would want to believe in the spiritual world or G-d if they didn't have to? It's terrifying.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
quote:

I don't think there are many people who would be willing to be very nearly killed for experimental purposes, so as to find out whether they could check what pictures were on a shelf. I certainly wouldn't.
Yes, it is hard to envision someone agreeing to be put into a "temporary" brain-dead condition just to do the photo test -- not all people who get that near death recover!

Also hard to envision a family member saying to a loved one about to go in for risky surgery, "dear, if things go bad and you have an out of body experience, I'll be holding photos in the waiting room and I want you to come look at the photos, and then when (if) you return to your body tell me what they are photos of, so we can prove NDE out of body experiences are real or fake." Usually family members of people about to be surgeried upon have wholly other concerns dominating their minds.

I would love to hear a practical non-dangerous proposal for an experiment about whether NDE out-of-body experiences could be real. Kinda hard to take seriously claims that experimental proof is needed if no experiment is (ethically) possible.

And of course if someone did correctly identify the photos in an experiment, skeptics would say he was a lucky guesser or it was a fraudulent set-up or -- all the usual reasons for clinging to determined disbelief that the not-quite-natural could be real.

(But as I said, I'm under the impression people who report NDE out of body experiences have different interests during that time than solving this-world minor curiosities.)

Posted by Kaplan Corday (# 16119) on :

quote:
Not unusual to read of people who "die" on the operating table and have an out of body experience

Something similar is sometimes reported by victims of torture and sex abuse.

The article I linked to describes an experiment carried out various hospital emergency rooms, where pictures have been placed on high shelves, visible only from the ceilong. No ethical problem - just wait until a person suffers cardiac arrest in the normal course of events, and then when they have been resucitated and safely tucked into bed, ask them if they had an out of body experience, and did they see the pictures. Although, I agree that people having such experiences might feel they have better things to do than contribute to this debabte by looking at some (presumably by now very dusty) pictures.

quote:
The article I linked to ...

Unfortunately, when I followed that link, all I got was a site of advertising listings, including one called asianbeauties.com!

Posted by Gregory's Girl (# 16275) on :

Some very interesting points here that lead me to try and coalesce my thoughts on this topic.
My mother had an NDE. When she was 5 a dog jumped up and knocked her over on the beach. No malice but: big dog + small child = fell over and knocked her head, whether on a stone or merely the hard wet sand is unknown, but serious concussion was the result. She was taken home and a doctor called.
From the ceiling of the bedroom she was pleased to note that her mother had put her in her favourite nightie but was somewhat shocked to see that her mother was standing while the doctor sat on the edge of the bed examining her (in her experience a gentleman always stood for a lady). She also noticed that the doctor seemed to be wearing a shirt that was too tight for him as, from her vantage point on the ceiling, she could see that the back of his neck was red and raw where his collar had rubbed it. For years she just thought of it as an odd memory while wondering what she was doing on the ceiling. It was only as adult she told a priest of her aquaintance about it who commented: "that was a Near Death Experience, you silly woman!"

A generation earlier, my grandmother dreamed of her father shortly after he had died. In life he was an Edwardian gentleman who would never have been seen without the stiff high collar that such gentlemen wore. However, in her dream he was collarless and seemed much less formal. He was pleased to see her but said apologetically: "I must go, there's so much to learn!"
I always felt that the episode in the Bible where the Witch of Endor summons the dead prophet Samuel and he exclaims angrily: "why have you brought me up?" fits theologically (!) with my granmother's dream: whatever God is doing with the souls of the dead it is bound to be far more interesting than our earth-bound concerns, and so Samuel was irritated to be dragged away from it for a spot of hand-holding with the down-in-the-dumps Saul!
This drags my brain along to the conclusion that contacting the dead is a bit like tapping on a classroom window. Much as I love, care and think about the Greglet who started school last week, it would be wrong, though technically possible, for me to stand outside his classroom window waving, saying "hello darling! Are you OK?" I must get on with my life and trust the teachers to look after him. Although I trust that, should a family emergency arise, the teacher might call him out of school for me. By the same token, my gut feeling is that it is "wrong" (in that it denotes a lack of faith in God's ability to look after our loved ones) to try to contact the dead but the dead might contact us due their own or our crises.

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I don't know if you have come across Dr Susan Blackmore's research on this phenomenon. It can be experimentally induced, and she actually underwent the procedure and describes her experiences in that link.

That's a neutral observation IMHO. It is evidence which satisfies the usual experimental scientific criteria, fair enough. It can be interpreted as suggesting our brains have a natural propensity for unpredictable and intense experiences due to mundane electromagnetic external influences which we may subsequently dress up in whichever mystic cultural clothes we prefer - as the author indicates. An alternative explanation is that the procedure is stimulating that area of the brain which is responsible for perception of supernature. The fact that this stimulation is hard work to provoke experimentally would further suggest the perception in most people at least is weak, which concurs with the comparatively unusual experience of supernatural perception.

Also, if it's not a sense that we use all that often, it's little surprise that it would be most clearly experienced during sleep/darkness/quiet/childhood/advanced old age or illness when other loads on the sensory system are impaired or reduced.

Posted by Flossymole (# 17339) on :

Back to ghosts – a personal experience. This happened in about 1968 in a 'New Town' council house, probably built in the late 1940s/early 1950s. I was 23 years old, spending the weekend with parents-in-law. It was Sunday morning, just before dinner (i.e. lunch) time. Everybody (mother-in-law, my husband, his two younger brothers and little sister, and me) was in the kitchen/dining-room, milling about getting the dinner ready and laying the table. Father-in-law did a Sunday morning shift at the factory and wasn't home yet. I splashed gravy on my blouse, went upstairs and changed it. There was no mirror in our bedroom so I went to check my appearance in my mother-in-law's dressing table mirror (being a vain little so-and-so) knowing that there was no-one there and mother-in-law wouldn't mind. As I pushed the door open (it was ajar) I suddenly heard breathing – very loud and heavy – like a large man either ill or drunk, coming from the middle of the room where the bed was. Without thinking I said 'Oh, sorry' and started to close the door again. As I did so I overcome by a feeling of absolute terror. I looked in the mirror (a big triple dressing-table mirror on the right hand wall, next to the door). I could see almost the whole room in it. There was nobody there, although I didn't stop to think about that – I legged it downstairs as fast as I could. At the bottom of the stairs I tried to pull myself together and think. I went into the kitchen and counted everybody. They were all there. No-one could have got up or downstairs past me. I asked my husband where his dad was – 'Not back from work, he'll be here any minute' was the reply. I went to the front window and he was coming along the road in his overalls.

Possible explanations. Middle brother playing a trick with a tape recorder? But how did he work that whilst seeing to the potatoes, and where would he have got hold of such a thing? They weren't a well-off family. Noise carrying from next-door? These were good solid houses and although it was a terrace you didn't get noises from next-door. In the end I decided it was a hallucination and thought I would see the doctor if anything similar happened again. It didn't, but I couldn't get over a great dislike of that room.

There is a sequel to this. About twenty years later, when the family were living elsewhere, my father- and mother-in-law and husband's youngest brother (now in his twenties) came to stay with us. Someone casually mentioned the house at XXXX Road and brother-in-law immediately said 'I hated that house, it was haunted'.
This was like opening a dam – everybody started talking at once. It seemed that everyone except my husband and his middle brother had had strange experiences in that house, but hadn't said anything for fear of frightening people or being thought barmy. Father-in-law's was the most striking. The little girl, who slept in that room with her parents, had woken one evening, crying. She said the lady who came out of the wardrobe and went out of the door had touched her. (the wardrobe was a big double one built into the wall, an original feature of all those houses). Her parents told her she'd been dreaming, but father-in-law said he knew she hadn't – he'd seen the woman himself. Apparently she crept out of the wardrobe, round the bottom of the bed and out of the door.

I wonder whether three of us could have experienced the same event from different perspectives – two from the point of view of somebody in bed and one from the point of view of the woman making her get-away. Perhaps it was some sort of replay rather than ghostly presences. I don't know of any tragedy there that could have given rise to this – but I've never done any research. I've concealed the address of the house to protect the peace of mind of the present occupants. I'd be glad to hear privately from anyone who thinks they recognise the place.

I'm afraid this is a long post – I wanted to deal with the usual questions that arise in advance.

quote:
Originally posted by Gregory's Girl:
By the same token, my gut feeling is that it is "wrong" (in that it denotes a lack of faith in God's ability to look after our loved ones) to try to contact the dead but the dead might contact us due their own or our crises.

That's what I think too.

quote:

They'd look at them, not out of interest but, because the first stage of a NDE is confusion and trying to work out what is happening, which involves looking carefully at everything to see what is happening.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
why would the person having an out of body experience be interested (during that out-of-body time) in looking at those photos? Even if interested enough while fully conscious to agree to the experiment, priorities may be quite different during the experience.

They'd look at them, not out of interest but, because the first stage of a NDE is confusion and trying to work out what is happening, which involves looking carefully at everything to see what is happening.
Interesting, I have not heard that, although I expect reactions vary. More often I hear of peace. Freedom from pain. Wanting to reassure loved ones. And not really wanting to go back to the body.

One preacher pointed out no one in the Bible who is reported to have been resurrected by Jesus is reported to have thanked Jesus for that. Their friends are grateful but we don't hear from the resurrected one. OK, just an "argument" (or observation) from silence, but an intriguing silence.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
The article I linked to ...

Unfortunately, when I followed that link, all I got was a site of advertising listings, including one called asianbeauties.com!
Mwahaha! My dastardly plan to get shipmates hooked into my Thai brides business is working. It should of course have been a newspaper article describing the experiment.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
why would the person having an out of body experience be interested (during that out-of-body time) in looking at those photos? Even if interested enough while fully conscious to agree to the experiment, priorities may be quite different during the experience.

Interesting, I have not heard that, although I expect reactions vary. More often I hear of peace. Freedom from pain. Wanting to reassure loved ones. And not really wanting to go back to the body.
Reports of NDEs suggest several stages: first awareness of being out of the body = looking down on the body e.g. seeing oneself on the road after a car accident and watching people try to resuscitate you; moving down corridors and being surprised that no one greets you back; visiting loved ones and getting no response; seeing one's whole life as in a movie but going backwards; moving up a tunnel towards light

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

Two young people I knew died unexpectedly. I believe that both came and touched me before they went on to wherever they were going. The first was what I can only describe as a dreadful icy finger tapping on me to wake me up. I knew who it was, and told him to go toward the light (I must have heard that somewhere, I didn't know at the time about Christ being the light). The second was a warm embrace. A number of people have told me of 'seeing' grandparents soon after death, but I haven't heard of anyone else being touched.

Close relatives claim to have experienced a ghost. It used to frequently flush the toilet, pull the bedclothes off, close doors behind them, move things on shelves, and climb the metal stairs outside one step at a time and knock on the front door. They never knew whether it came in when they opened the door. They didn't see it, and were not afraid of it. They assumed it was someone who used to live there and didn't want to leave once he had died.

The way I reconcile this to my theology is by assuming that the ghosts are the essence of people who were not living close to God in life and do not seek God out in death. They remain clinging onto the world that they don't want to leave. They may be afraid of the light, they may ignore it, perhaps they don't see it. The implications are that people do immediately move on after death, that they're raised up straight away. This ties in with descriptions of NDE's.

I found interesting the BBC2 programme 'Dead Good JOB' last night at 9pm. It describes the work of funeral directors over various faiths (and none). The Hindu director took great care to let the deceased know that he was dead, and encouraged his departure from the world.

I wonder whether the deceased attend their own funeral.

Another experience to relate .... in the 1980's I was the manager of a branch of a well known UK Building Society in a bedfordshire market town.

It was a 2 story office and had once been a hotel. The upstairs was only used for storgae for past records of our and other branches. From time to time I had to retrieve documents from the store. The main room had a heavy iron door always closed on exit. When next I visted, I always found it open. It needed a good push to open it: I had the only key to the upstairs on my key ring.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
Close relatives claim to have experienced a ghost. It used to frequently flush the toilet, pull the bedclothes off, close doors behind them, move things on shelves, and climb the metal stairs outside one step at a time and knock on the front door. They never knew whether it came in when they opened the door. They didn't see it, and were not afraid of it.

This sounds like a poltergeist. I am not committing myself on whether there are such things as ghosts and poltergeists.

Moo

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
This sounds like a poltergeist. I am not committing myself on whether there are such things as ghosts and poltergeists.

Moo

I guess unless we ourselves have an experience, we may remain non-committal. Much like religion?

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
Another experience to relate .... in the 1980's I was the manager of a branch of a well known UK Building Society in a bedfordshire market town.

It was a 2 story office and had once been a hotel. The upstairs was only used for storgae for past records of our and other branches. From time to time I had to retrieve documents from the store. The main room had a heavy iron door always closed on exit. When next I visted, I always found it open. It needed a good push to open it: I had the only key to the upstairs on my key ring.

"And that, your honour, is why we cannot produce the documents required that would evidence the plaintiff's claim for compensation against our mis-selling"

© Ship of Fools 2016