Thread: Teliosis (Matthew 5:38-48) Board: Kerygmania / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=002341

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

From Matthew 5

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that. 48 Be perfect (teleosis), therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Okay, this is a week late, but I have aways had difficulties with understanding what Jesus means by pefect. However, the word "teleosis" can also be interpreted to mean "complete" or "mature."

To me, it seems Jesus is telling his audience (and us) to grow up.

How does looking at the alternative translation of teleosis affect your understanding of the passage?

[ 20. February 2017, 01:24: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

Slight mistake in the above post The term is teleos. Teleosis refers to the division of cells.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

[Perhaps it's a call to make sure you use the right word]

Of course, the lectionary matches it with Leviticus "Be holy, as God is holy". And, this saying "be perfect" follows a section where Jesus repeats some of the same laws that follow that statement in Leviticus, "you have heard it said ... but I say". Is it not possible that Jesus is echoing that same "be holy"?

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

I disagree with Gramps. The Oxford dictionaries web site tells us that "teleosis" is "perfection, completion, consummation".

I believe the term for cell division is mitosis.

Posted by Al Eluia (# 864) on :

Of course the Greek text is all we have in writing, but does anyone hear know what he would have said in Aramaic?

Posted by Latchkey Kid (# 12444) on :

I have heard that it could be understood as -

Be complete, as I am complete.

or

Be the person you were meant to be, as I am the person I was meant to be.

These at least avoid the idea that we are all to become identical.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
I have heard that it could be understood as -

Be complete, as I am complete.

or

Be the person you were meant to be, as I am the person I was meant to be.

These at least avoid the idea that we are all to become identical.

The Greek root tele has the idea of reaching a goal. In John 19:30
quote:
When Jesus had received the wine, he said, ‘It is finished.’ Then he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
He wasn't just saying that his life was over; he was saying that he had done what he was supposed to do.

Moo

© Ship of Fools 2016