Thread: Apocalyptic literature Board: Kerygmania / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=002382

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

Here's the promised thread on apocalyptic literature.

I thought it might be Kerygmaniacal but kindly Hosts and Admins may wish to shunt it to Purgatory.

The key aspects I'd like to explore are:

- How do we define apocalyptic literature and how does it differ from other genres found in scripture (both canonical and non-canonical)?

- How should we interpret and handle such literature?

My answer to the second would be: carefully.

I have a lot of sympathy with the way the Churches of the Christian East held fire for some considerable time before accepting the Book of Revelation into the canon, for instance.

They knew very well what sort of things people would concoct out of it. Hence its absence from the readings in the Orthodox Liturgy.

Of course, that doesn't mean that I think such literature is 'harmful' in and of itself - 'all scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness (NASB).

http://biblehub.com/2_timothy/3-16.htm

It's how we handle it where the problems arise.

To get the ball rolling ... my 'take' would include the following observations:

- 'Veiled' or apocalyptic literature primarily addresses issues of its own day and time and was not necessarily meant to be predictive in the sense that fundamentalists understand it to be.

- It can contain pseudographia and attibutions which fundamentalists would reject.

- It deals in symbols and allegories so, no, there aren't going to be any literal creatures with the heads of men and the tails of scorpions (Rev:9:10)

http://biblehub.com/revelation/9-10.htm

So the way we approach such literature must take those elements into account.

Daniel and Revelations are the paradigm examples in the canonical scriptures (seen from a Protestant perspective) with other examples in the deutero-canonical and apocryphal corpus.

Any interpretation that seeks to build a detailed eschatological schema on such literature is wrong-headed at best and harmful at worst.

Why? Because it misses the point and the original intention of such writings and acts as a distraction.

That's my take ...

Now your turns ...

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
To get the ball rolling ... my 'take' would include the following observations:

- 'Veiled' or apocalyptic literature primarily addresses issues of its own day and time and was not necessarily meant to be predictive in the sense that fundamentalists understand it to be.

- It can contain pseudographia and attibutions which fundamentalists would reject.

- It deals in symbols and allegories so, no, there aren't going to be any literal creatures with the heads of men and the tails of scorpions (Rev:9:10)

http://biblehub.com/revelation/9-10.htm

So the way we approach such literature must take those elements into account.

Daniel and Revelations are the paradigm examples in the canonical scriptures (seen from a Protestant perspective) with other examples in the deutero-canonical and apocryphal corpus.

Any interpretation that seeks to build a detailed eschatological schema on such literature is wrong-headed at best and harmful at worst.

Why? Because it misses the point and the original intention of such writings and acts as a distraction.

That's my take ...

Now your turns ...

I would broadly agree with your take. Where I would amplify it is to say this: Apocolyptic literature is primarily addressed to a persecuted group, Israel in captivity and the early Church, specifically. The point of apocalyptic literature is to affirm that God will prevail and will establish a reign of justice and righteousness, that the persecuted will be vindicated and that the persecutors will be punished. Symbol and metaphor are used to describe the players and forces at work in the persecution, and the central message of apocalyptic literature is that God, not evil, will win out in the end.

Yes, hence the parallels between Daniel and the Book of Revelation. The latter draws on imagery from the apocalyptic back-catalogue as it were and applied it to the current situation.

Both were times of persecution and when it looked like hope would not prevail.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

We have to remember that the Jews arrange their scriptures differently to ours.

<Tangent> The prophets re divided into the lesser prophets, Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings (one scroll each, using the English names) and the greater prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and the Twelve (The minor Prophets on a single scroll.</Tangent>

The important thing in understanding Apocalyptic literature is this. By the Jewish way of reckoning the book of Daniel is not in the Prophets: Daniel is in the Writings.
quote:
Gamaliel said:
- 'Veiled' or apocalyptic literature primarily addresses issues of its own day and time

The problem is that is true of prophetic literature, but there are Jewish interpretation that say that the book of Daniel is about the future.

quote:
The alternative, suggested by Don Isaac Abarbanel, is that the books of "prophets" were those who were given prophecy to convey to the people at that moment, for some purpose. Daniel was an "armchair prophet" (to quote Leiman); while he had visions, he was never ordered to convey them. So he may have been a "seer", but not a "speaker."
https://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/596/why-daniel-is-not-among-the-prophets

Daniel is a veiled message which will be revealed in the future.

I do not like this, as it plays into the hands of the Dispensational Fundamentalists, but it is something we have to bear in mind when working out what Apocalyptic actually means.

Interesting. So how does that work out in terms of Jewish eschatology?

What are they expecting?

I've not encountered that many very conservative Jews. Most I've known have been moderately conservative or else Reform and quite liberal.

quote:
Interesting. So how does that work out in terms of Jewish eschatology?

Can't say, and neither can they, as the reason that Daniel didn't make the cut as a prophet, but Ezekiel did, but only just is that Ezekiel has a very few passages that passed as prophesy. Just how much was needed to make the cut though has been lost. It was all in the linked article above.

My personal take is to listen to the persecuted, both Jews and Christians, and see the comfort they get from the Daniel, Ezekiel and Revelation.

The way the persecuted church interpret the apocalyptic is a sharp contrast to that of Christian Fundamentalism. But I side with the former as they are the ones actually living it.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam
My personal take is to listen to the persecuted, both Jews and Christians, and see the comfort they get from the Daniel, Ezekiel and Revelation.

I have read that apocalyptic literature became widespread after it was clear that the Jews would not be able to rule themselves again without direct intervention from God.

Moo

It seems like this gets to something discussed in the other recent thread—the contemporary understanding of “prophet” and “prophecy” vs. the Hebrew understanding reflected in the OT.

The Hebrew understanding had relatively little to do with foretelling future events and much more to do with conveying the divine message to people now. The prophet was the spokesperson of God. In traditional Jewish understanding, Torah and the Writings were also written by prophets, such as Moses, David and Solomon. What distinguishes the books classified as Prophets is a focus on calling Israel to faithfulness, on challenging Israel's unfaithfulness, and on describing what God intends for Israel.

This is surely a gross oversimplification, but perhaps at the most basic, the Prophets are about calling Israel—and particularly the powerful in Israel—to remember who they are as a covenant people and to be faithful, righteous and just. Apocalyptic writings, on the other hand, encourage a powerless and persecuted Israel, or later the early Church, with hope of God's ultimate defeat of evil.

Thanks Nick, yes, that sits well with me.

Thanks too, Balaam. An interesting link and one which whets my appetite to read more Jewish material.

I've met Messianic Jews and other conservative evangelical converts from Judaism who are well into fundamentalist / Dispensationalist type schemas.

I've met others - also Jewish converts within evangelical constituencies - who have told me that most Jewish people roll their eyes at the way Dispensationalist-influenced Christians (whether Jew or Gentile by background) handle these issues.

But I'm by no means an expert.

I did read a book about the Psalms by a Rabbi which I found vastly illuminating. He'd have been far too liberal for the fundies though.

I must do some research into Jewish eschatology. I'm sure it's very rich and varied.

Meanwhile, there does seem broad agreement on this thread so far. We've not heard from anyone who takes a different perspective to the one Nick and others here have aired.

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

The point about apocalyptic literature being used primarily in the context of explaining suffering is well made, but it has a problem. Which is to say that if you look at contemporary extra-canonical writings, no such restriction seems to apply.

It is possible that the observation is an artefact that arises through the selection of the canon(s).

Possibly, although some traditions don't make the same distinction between canonical and deutero-canonical or apocryphal as Protestantism does ...

We seem to be on the same page here,
Nick:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
This is surely a gross oversimplification, but perhaps at the most basic, the Prophets are about calling Israel—and particularly the powerful in Israel—to remember who they are as a covenant people and to be faithful, righteous and just.

We do well to remember that the lesser Prophets, Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings, fulfil this function as well as the greater Prophets (Isaiah to Malachi minus Lamentations and Daniel).
quote:
Apocalyptic writings, on the other hand, encourage a powerless and persecuted Israel, or later the early Church, with hope of God's ultimate defeat of evil.
Like I said, about the future. There is a bit more to it than this, but nothing to make a system of events based on the apocalyptic feasible. I can find nothing in my searches that would suggest that Apocalyptic is meant to be interpreted as a sequence of events, as in Schofield.

quote:
Possibly, although some traditions don't make the same distinction between canonical and deutero-canonical or apocryphal as Protestantism does ...

The use of "deutero-canonical" by Roman Catholics show they do make a distinction, just a different one to that we Prots make.

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

quote:

I don't think there is anything in the Deuterocanon/Apocrypha which would alter my observation, Gamaliel. You might put Bel & the Dragon down as apocalyptic, but it already has a cognate passage in the undisputed bit of Daniel. And anyway you could say that the story could still be interpreted as about liberation from Babylonian captivity (the dragon being symbolic of Babylon).

Fair enough ...

Posted by Nigel M (# 11256) on :

I don’t think that the history of interpretation has been helped by the invention of the category ‘apocalyptic.’ As with all labels, it ran the risk of becoming more than the sum of its parts – people saw the label and imported a whole set of assumptions that were probably not part of the author’s original intention. The genre becomes – by an illogical leap – an idea; it develops a life all of its own.

The essential characteristic that defines ‘apocalyptic’ literature is symbolism. That is what is seems to come down to when definitions are looked at. Secondarily it comes to mean a catastrophic end of the world (or least least the world as we know it), but is not the genre; that is the idea that the genre leads to.

Personally, I think when we trace the literature of this genre back, we find it is nothing other than narrative, and should therefore be interpreted as that. I can see this working by tracing, for example, one line back from the book of Revelation 14 (‘apocalyptic’) to Daniel 7 (prophecy) and back to Daniel 2 (narrative). The only thing that changes is the degree of rhetoric, but essentially, we are dealing with narrative on a rhetorical spectrum. That should inform the interpretation. The rhetoric might be heightened at one end of the spectrum, but that should not deflect an interpreter from the path. Down other paths lie beasties and dragons, apparantly.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

The Gospel of St. Mark is narrative. The Revelation of John is narrative. Well and good. But we need another word for Revelation because it's clearly not the same genre as Mark. Way different things are going on with the use of imagery and language and "event." Merely marking it as "narrative" doesn't cover it.

Yes, hence the coinage of the term 'apocalyptic'.

Unless someone comes up with a better one then it's a term I'll continue to use.

'Allegorical' is close, but somehow 'apocalyptic' is more definite.

Revelation and Daniel are hardly 'narrative' in the way the Gospels are for instance. And the Gospels aren't straight-forward narrative either.

No narratives are.

Not Tacitus nor Herodotus, not Caesar's Gallic War nor Bede's history.

That doesn't mean they don't deal with real events of course.

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

A vision is not narrative, it seems to me. Apocalyptic literature is visionary. It taps in to the visual imagery of the imaginative mind, connected with our spiritual sense so that it touches us deeply rather than making sense intellectually.

It is meant to give hope and courage to those who persevere in faith despite persecution. The evil people will not win in the end, the good people will. Happy endings.

I understand the need to break down masses of data into digestible bite sizes. Genre analysis is an approach that seeks to do just that. My concern is not with genre analysis as such, but with the tendency in genre criticism to move too glibly from the categorisation to interpretation. I come across arguments in literature and from pulpit which move like this, from: “This text is an example of the ‘x’ genre…” to “…and therefore is to be interpreted as meaning ‘y.’” It may an unconscious move, but it results in readers coming to a book like Revelation thinking: “Well obviously this is about The End of the World and all We Know of It, because this is Apocalyptic in nature.”

I also understand that a work like Revelation ‘reads’ differently to, say, Romans or a Gospel, but I fear that inventing a new genre type to cover it on the basis of its literary style alone has led, and will continue to lead, readers to think that they should be reading (in the sense of interpreting) it differently. “It can’t mean the same as Matthew because it uses a different style.”

This is why I think it is better to drop the additional categorisation and default to narrative as the basis for interpretation.

But after all, what is narrative? A sample definition runs: a spoken or written account of connected events. It is the art of telling a story.

The literary critic Robert Alter (in The Art of Biblical Narrative, Basic Books, 1981) argues that in order to understand biblical narrative fully, it is necessary to be aware of the literary conventions familiar to the biblical writers and their first readers. The art can cover a realm of rhetorical devices, some of which may not be familiar in everyday usage by western cultures, but which are common in other cultures. It makes sense to use the literary techniques associated with narrative, not some artificially devised extra-cultural practice. The significance of plot comes to mind as one technique. We find plot in the Gospels and we find it in Revelation.

Another device is dialogue. Alter emphasizes throughout his book that the Biblical narratives major on dialogue: "Everything in the world of biblical narrative ultimately gravitates toward dialogue". We find dialogue as a means of moving plot along and for revealing knowledge in Torah, prophecy, and Revelation.

There’s more, but I just wanted to make the point that the book of Revelation is on a common platform with narrative, albeit at the more rhetorically enhanced end of the narrative spectrum. The book therefore needs to be read as such.

Revelation moves not as some esoteric idea of how visions should work in the land of faerie (for want of a better word), but as a connected series of narrated events, with dialogue, that move from a beginning, through a middle, to an end. That is narrative at a high level. The lower-level structure can be seen in many commentaries, so I won’t bore everyone here with that.

It is also worth noting that the author placed his work in the land of prophecy. That noun is used 19 times throughout the book. That should alert us to his intention; he is situating his work firmly in the tradition of Jewish prophecy – which is in turn rooted in Torah (which reads more clearly to the western ear as narrative).

What about the argument that apocalypticism can be defined as revealed knowledge? But that is what prophecy is about, too. In fact, I would say that the narrative work of biblical authors is all about revealing knowledge to the misinformed, or under-informed.

Just in case anyone fears that by imposing the ‘story-telling’ style on the text I am somehow removing it from factual history, I don’t believe that this is the case. Much of recorded history has come to us as narrative (often with dialogue), but that does not remove the telling from fact.

“Narrative” covers a thousand things. History. Historical fiction. Novels. Mythology. Autobiography. Satire. News reporting. An overview of the methods used to test a scientific hypothesis. A description of how I rebuilt the engine in my 1967 Mustang GT.

It's just too vague to be of any use at all in interpreting.

It looks like you just don't like the word "apocalypse."

Indeed I don’t mousethief – and for good reason.

What, exactly, does defining a particular text type as ‘apocalyptic’ do? Where does it take us? It’s fine to say that a particular group of texts demonstrate a unique set of characteristics, setting them apart from other groups of texts that don’t share those same characteristics, but so what? To what end?

If a teacher were to stand up and tell us that the book of Revelation is an example of the apocalyptic genre, that is minimal information. It takes us … well, not very far at all. What we really, really, want to know is what the book means; how it is to be interpreted.

Do you interpret the book of Revelation on the basis of its (apocalyptic) genre? If so, how; and more importantly, with what logic?

You go, "Oh. What other texts are apocalyptic? Let's compare and contrast this one with those." It's far more enlightening to compare and contrast the Revelation of John to Daniel, than to Watership Down. (Although that would certainly not be entirely without use.)

By referring to Revelation as 'apocalyptic' I'm not lifting it out of its historical context nor denying the narrative structure.

What I am doing is firing a warming shot across the bows of those who take it as some kind of blue-print for the end of the world ... 'The Final Count down ...'

By highlighting the difference between a text like The Apocalypse of John (as it's sometimes called) and Proverbs, say or Romans or James, I'm drawing attention to facets that uber-literalists might overlook.

That's the point of categorising it differently.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
It's far more enlightening to compare and contrast the Revelation of John to Daniel...

Of course – as I said earlier, you can trace elements in Revelation back to Daniel 7 – but then you must go on back to Daniel 2 (which no one I have come across categorises as ‘apocalyptic’) and thus you are in a world of the prosaic. You can then also compare Revelation to Deuteronomy (the Torah hangs over – or indeed, supports, all the biblical literature, one way or another).

I have to ask again, what practical use has genre labelling been to interpretation?

quote:
What I am doing is firing a warming shot across the bows of those who take it as some kind of blue-print for the end of the world ... 'The Final Count down ...'

By highlighting the difference between a text like The Apocalypse of John (as it's sometimes called) and Proverbs, say or Romans or James, I'm drawing attention to facets that uber-literalists might overlook.

That's the point of categorising it differently

I have much in common with what has been said on this thread - little to quibble on the concerns. I would say, though, that you do not need to label the book of Revelation as anything at all in order to be able to discuss the various interpretations that are popular in certain circles. My point has been that it is the actual genre label that can lead people to read the texts in the way to which you take exception. Better, then, to just not label it as anything. Genre labels too easily become signposts, diverting attention away from the text itself.

I can see what you are getting at but are Shakespeare's sonnets diminished by categorising them as such?

I can see how the 'apocalyptic' label could fire the imaginations of some but I tend to see it more as a, 'Hey folks, don't try this at home ...' thing.

It's like that argument parents make about not wanting to "label" their slightly off-kilter child. People are going to label your kid whether or not you like it. You might as well get an accurate label that will help in providing services, and readjusting expectations, to help him or her thrive.

Just so, one little voice saying, "Let's not label works as to genre! It will lead to stereotyping!" isn't going to stop people from labeling works as to genre. Categorizing is what we humans do. Anyway you're taking a claymore to something that prefers a scalpel. Don't prohibit labeling, teach people how property to read apocalyptic literature. THAT is the real issue. Not the existence or application of the label.

It's like arguing about how best to fix your car's alignment when the real issue is the crappy roads. Fix the roads and everything else fixes itself.

quote:
You go, "Oh. What other texts are apocalyptic? Let's compare and contrast this one with those." It's far more enlightening to compare and contrast the Revelation of John to Daniel, than to Watership Down. (Although that would certainly not be entirely without use.)

Although the style of Revelation is Daniel, the imagery is taken largely from Ezekiel. This too is to be taken into account. We have to teach people how to properly read apocalyptic literature (also said by mousethief) but first we need to teach them to recognise it. Some of the Old Testament guys slip in and of of an apocalyptic style when writing, Ezekiel, Zechariah and others, but what about the Gospel of Matthew, written to Jews who would have been familiar with the style.

There is the apocalyptic in chapter 24, as in the other synoptics, but is the apocalyptic extended to the parables in chapter 25, which have that character about them. Or chapter 23's woes to the pharisees, there's 7 of them, a significant number in apocalyptic. Is this also apocalyptic, or is this just a coincidence? Or the dead rising from the graves at the crucifixion, an actual event or symbolic using apocalyptic style, or both? And if Matthew uses this form of writing, how about an angel appearing in a dream to Joseph. Real, symbolic or both? (I'm going for both on the last two.)

The thing is that not all apocalyptic is about the end of the age, so labelling all apocalyptic as cataclysmic is an error. (I think that was Gamaliel upthread.)

We need to recognise what style we are reading, as well as how to read it.

Note to Nigel M: I was taught that the whole of Daniel was apocalyptic, the presence of the angel in the fiery furnace as well as closing the lions' mouths points to that. Clearly it is still narrative, contrasting with the last 6 chapters.

The book can be all narrative and all apocalyptic, these are not contradictory categories.

I don't think I said that all apocalyptic literature was cataclysmic ... But your points are well made.

quote:
I can see what you are getting at but are Shakespeare's sonnets diminished by categorising them as such?

The Sonnets are a good example of how genre definitions (categories) should work. They should be essentially neutral. I can’t remember ever having comes across a popular instance of someone approaching the poems saying, “These are Sonnets, therefore the meaning is this…” Rather, publishers group the poems together on the basis of their structure, but commentators do their literary analysis in spite of the label. The same cannot be said of the apporaches in Christian Theology.

I get why people are resistant to giving up the label ‘apocalyptic’. It’s because it is universal and we were all taught it. That shouldn’t prevent us from challenging its use, though. Genre definitions were never meant to be load-bearing, but in Christian theology (and Biblical Studies) they have become just that.
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
I was taught that the whole of Daniel was apocalyptic, the presence of the angel in the fiery furnace as well as closing the lions' mouths points to that.

I think that would be to move the Apocalyptic slider too far to the left along the narrative spectrum. I agree that it is not uncommon to find a commentary that says something like, “Daniel (or Revelation, etc.) is an example of apocalyptic literature.” However when you get into the detail, you find that the commentator distinguishes between Daniel 1-6 as prophetic, and 7-12 as the apocalyptic section. If we were to define a segment of a larger text by singular instances, then logically we would have to say that the book of Jonah is apocalyptic because God sends a big fish to swallow Jonah, or that the whole of Exodus is apocalyptic because God sends an angel to speak to Moses out of a burning bush.

On the point about educating people (made above in more than one post), I am still not convinced that the approach suggested is worthwhile. A more economical way would be to say, “Here is a good way to read Revelation…” rather than “This is Apocalyptic and here is a good way to read it…”

Oh, and another thing! (Sorry about this)

Another one of the issues associated with the attraction to the genre is that readers (perhaps more at a popular level) tend to focus on the passages containing enhanced symbolism, to the detriment of the non-apocalyptic passages. Daniel 7-12 gets the focus in preference to chapters 1-6. Revelation 4 onwards to the disadvantage of chapters 1-3.

This runs counter to the author’s own intended meaning. The author of Revelation included the seven letters to the Christian communities under the rubric of ‘prophecy’ (1:3) and these flow right into the ‘seeing’ (4:1 = “After these, I saw…”). I would argue that the seven letters constrain and direct the interpretation of the following symbolism. They do this because the author inherits the covenant worldview of his ancestors, expressed in places like Deut. 28, with the principle: “If your behaviour is ‘x’, then the outcome will be ‘y’.” This is what we find propping up the teachings in the seven letters, e.g., “To the one who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority…” (to Thyatira), or “Repent, therefore, or I will soon come to you and fight against you…” (to Pergamum). That principle underlies and stitches together what follows, despite the symbolism.

This is why I think it important to treat narrative (which includes dialogue) as the fundamental matrix within which interpretation needs to take place. Literary analysis, bolstered by contextual research (archaeology, sociology, linguistics), needs to be the approach. The ultimate starting point is the question, “Why is that there?” as a way into determining the authorial intention. Asking what the type / category / genre is doesn’t really get us very far at all; in fact it only opens us up to the issue I outlined above and into a world that is difficult to resolve.

None of which is incompatible with what I've been trying to say.

'Here's a good way to read Revelation ... Apocalyptically ...'

But why add that term "Apocalyptically"? What is gained by referring to a genre label, given the risks and issues that come with it?

Are the 'risks and issues' you mention any greater than they would be by not using the term?

[Confused]

At the very least, using a term like 'apocalyptic' at least conveys to the reader that this is something that should be handled differently to a 'straightforward' narrative (if there is indeed such a thing?).

That said, there's no accounting for folk ...

I well remember during the interval at a performance of King Lear in Stratford overhearing some old ladies in the row behind me discussing the putting out of Gloster's eyes.

'As if you'd be able to say all that when they were gouging your eyes out,' said one.
'Oh, I don't know,' said her companion. 'They were a lot tougher in those days ...'

[Snigger] [Big Grin]

Well you can’t beat a good hung-drawn-and-quartering, is what I say; and when it comes to beasts from the Abyss, God does a nice line!

Anyway, shovelling the dead bodies off the path, I have another question: In what sense, if any, could this type of literature be said to be predictive?

My point, of course was that the old ladies behind me should have been alert to the genre.

Gloster's response is uttered in prose - although it's close to iambic pentameter - and he reverts to iambics a few lines later on.

It's a play not 'reported speech.'

Likewise with your beasts from the Abyss.

It's apocalyptic literature we are dealing with.

Apocalyptic literature features beasts from the Abyss and similar phenomena.

It's the genre that gives us the clue how to understand these things.

That's.my.point.

Like the old ladies in Stratford you appear to have missed it.

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

quote:
It's like that argument parents make about not wanting to "label" their slightly off-kilter child. People are going to label your kid whether or not you like it. You might as well get an accurate label that will help in providing services, and readjusting expectations, to help him or her thrive.

Just so, one little voice saying, "Let's not label works as to genre! It will lead to stereotyping!" isn't going to stop people from labeling works as to genre. Categorizing is what we humans do. Anyway you're taking a claymore to something that prefers a scalpel. Don't prohibit labeling, teach people how property to read apocalyptic literature. THAT is the real issue. Not the existence or application of the label.

It's like arguing about how best to fix your car's alignment when the real issue is the crappy roads. Fix the roads and everything else fixes itself.

[Overused] I've missed you mousethief. It's good to be back.

How do you know that the two old ladies were not in fact having a private joke? Why did you jump to the conclusion that they had misunderstood the genre? A colleague of mine in Northern Ireland during the troubles there told me he had overhead two ladies talking about an army helicopter that had been spotting overhead. “Do you know,” Said one to the other,” That helicopter has been stationary up there for a long time.” “Ah, well;” Said the other, “Perhaps it’s run out of petrol.”

Now some might assume they had a lack of knowledge about the function of helicopters and the role of fuel in maintaining that function, but a more likely interpretation is that they were having fun. I know of some who, having heard the tale, assumed the former, but others understood it to be humour. Genre was irrelevant there. One had to have an understanding of the context and nature of the situation and people involved.

You don’t interpret a play by calling it such. A ‘play’ is just a category – a rather broad one. The mistake is not in categorising, it is in interpreting. You do not need the category to define the interpretation. The latter comes – as I said earlier – by applying literary analysis with the contextual limbs in support. Giving it a label is perhaps at best a starting point (we humans do like to categorise), but if taken on the journey too far can get in the way of interpretation. That was my point. Too often in Christian Theology and Biblical Studies (more so at the popular level, I suspect) the genre drives the interpretation and we end up with the issues to which I referred.

Context, my friend.

I'd have understood the two Ulster ladies as sharing a private joke.

I'm a nosey bugger and ear-wig on people a lot. So I could tell that the two old ladies in Stratford weren't sharing a joke at all. They were serious.

I was there. You weren't. So don't presume to tell me what I did or didn't understand.

Revelation is 'apocalyptic' literature. Get the hell over it.

Rather than a specific kind of poem like a sonnet, perhaps the better analogy is a genre of fiction, such as science fiction. Labeling a piece of fiction as “science fiction” tells us that certain conventions are at play in the piece, that a certain framework can be assumed. It doesn’t relieve anyone of the need that analyze the piece as a work on its own, nor does it limit what an author does within those conventions. Likewise with apocalyptic literature.

As so often, Nick says what I wanted to say a lot better than I have or could.

quote:
Context, my friend.

Yes, as I thought. You determined it by context – exactly as I have argued for above. You didn’t do it by determining the genre and then on the basis of that, reaching your conclusion. Like other normal human beings, you interpreted the situation on the basis of analysis, using your experience and knowledge with contextual tools in support. You didn’t need the genre.

You see the point?

quote:
...perhaps the better analogy is a genre of fiction, such as science fiction. Labeling a piece of fiction as “science fiction” tells us that certain conventions are at play in the piece, that a certain framework can be assumed. It doesn’t relieve anyone of the need that analyze the piece as a work on its own, nor does it limit what an author does within those conventions. Likewise with apocalyptic literature.

I agree with much in this assessment. I don't think the issue is with categorising on the basis of common characteristics. The issue, though, is with moving from there to the assumption that because a group of texts share common characteristics that they then must be interpreted in the same way each and every time. The driver should be authorial intention, but I think where this thread has its motivation is in the issue of interpretation on the basis of genre, rather than authorial intention. As you said, we shouldn't limit what an author does, though I recognise that sometimes an author deliberately contravenes conventions to make a point.

I don't disagree with any of that, but again, don't see any conflict or contradiction with my contention that we have to approach such writings in particular ways ... Authorial intention is a major factor in determining genre, of course.

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M:
The issue, though, is with moving from there to the assumption that because a group of texts share common characteristics that they then must be interpreted in the same way each and every time.

But has anyone actually argued that? Seems like a straw man to me.
quote:
The driver should be authorial intention, but I think where this thread has its motivation is in the issue of interpretation on the basis of genre, rather than authorial intention.
I agree that the driver is the author’s intent, but I don’t think the motivation of this thread is to champion interpretation on the basis of genre. I’d say the gist is that the genre chosen is one indication of the author’s intent.

Posted by Garasu (# 17152) on :

But who is choosing the genre? Some authors embrace genre; others acquire genre; some have genre pinned on to them...

quote:

I don't think anyone on this thread has arguded for it, Nick (unless I missed something), but it gets frequent airing from popular pultpits (I hear the move being made often, for example, on God TV!).

quote:
quote:

I don't think anyone on this thread has arguded for it, Nick (unless I missed something), but it gets frequent airing from popular pultpits (I hear the move being made often, for example, on God TV!).
Then that doesn't sound to me like a problem with recognizing a genre of apolyptic literature; rather it sounds like a misuse of the implications of belonging to a genre. In other words, it sounds like sloppy thinking and sloppy analysis that might happen whether the genre label is applied or not.

quote:
...rather it sounds like a misuse of the implications of belonging to a genre.

And that, folks, is a nice summary of what I have been trying to say thus far!

We humans will categorise; we find it useful to do so when faced with a mass of data. Such categorisations are useful as a starting point and should be neutral in implication; indeed, in many disciplines it is so treated, but in Christian Theology and Biblical Studies we can find plenty of examples where the categorisation (under the guise of genre criticism) is extended – beyond logical validity it seems to me – to include interpretation; i.e. to say that “This is an example of the genre ‘x’ and therefore must mean / refer to ‘y’.

The same faulty logic has been applied in the past in source and form criticism. A too fast and loose association made between the category and the assumption that there lies behind it a sure interpretation.

Hence my preference for teaching to go with “Here’s a text called ‘x’ (e.g., Revelation”). Let’s read it and apply literary techniques to see what the author meant when using the rhetorical style he used.”

quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
But who is choosing the genre? Some authors embrace genre; others acquire genre; some have genre pinned on to them...

Good point.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

In the absence of apocalyptic genre, how should thick old buggers on the bus like me, who were away with the faeries for 30 years and have only just after another 20 finally got away from any need to see foretelling claims when they just aren't there, refer to coded, occulted contemporary history disguised for propaganda purposes for the oppressed cognoscenti?

quote:
On the point about educating people (made above in more than one post), I am still not convinced that the approach suggested is worthwhile.

Keep 'em ignorant, eh? Easy to control?

quote:
A more economical way would be to say, “Here is a good way to read Revelation…” rather than “This is Apocalyptic and here is a good way to read it…”
What has economicality to do with it?

quote:
This is why I think it important to treat narrative (which includes dialogue) as the fundamental matrix within which interpretation needs to take place.
Letters aren't narrative, by and large. Unless you broaden the meaning of "narrative" so much as to be meaningless.

quote:
In what sense, if any, could this type of literature be said to be predictive?
Of course it is not. And here is one very good reason for the label "apocalyptic." It distinguishes it from "prophetic" in the sense of "predictive" (the various senses and misuses of "prophetic" could make a whole 'nother thread). It says "this is not meant to be read as predictive." I suppose you could inform people of that without using the label, but you've said you prefer not to inform people.

quote:
The issue, though, is with moving from there to the assumption that because a group of texts share common characteristics that they then must be interpreted in the same way each and every time.
And people are going to do that whether you will or no. They will notice the similarities and come up with their own bloody categories if you keep them ignorant of the existing ones. "This is like that bit in Ezekiel, and the second half of Daniel, lovey. We should call them something."

Or you could teach them something, like the label and its limitations. Nah. Keep 'em in the dark.

quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:

Once you write something and present it to the world, it's out of your hands. You have no more say about it. If you didn't write what you wanted to into the piece, tough luck.

quote:
quote:
...rather it sounds like a misuse of the implications of belonging to a genre.

And that, folks, is a nice summary of what I have been trying to say thus far!
In which case you haven't said anything, or at least anything that nobody else here has said. The problem is that that's NOT all you've said. You've gone on to pin the entire problem on the existence and use of a single word. Which is inane.

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
[Overused] I've missed you mousethief. It's good to be back.

You are very kind! It's good to have you back.

Oh come on mousethief! Wake up and smell the coffee!

It’s because people get so preoccupied with the label that it is not worth the time and effort explaining the label ‘apocalyptic’ AND then moving on to the content. Just get on with the content.

Letters (as a genre) do not generate the same level of contortion as Apocalyptic. But you can apply useful literary tools, such as semantic structure analyses, to them without being distracted by genre criticism (when was the last time you came across the type of argument that runs “This is an example of Letter, therefore it must refer to…”)?

Narrative as a genre are capable of literary analyses, such as plot development, schema, etc., without being distracted by genre criticism (when was the last time you came across the type of argument that runs “This is an example of Narrative, therefore it must refer to…”)?

Apocalyptic however, approached as a genre, has set up a firewall of expectations before you can get down to the literary analyses. I’ve said how this plays out at a popular level, but I do not have to go far to find it generating ink in the scholarly world either. N. T. Wright, for one, has had to expend some considerable resource in his works over the past few years in combatting – as he would argue – misguided approaches to apocalyptic literature in academia. Happy to provide references at length if you wish. By all means, if people want to learn about genre criticism then leap on the hog and let them know. But if they want to know what a book like Revelation means, why run the risks associated with genre criticism? Why not just get on with the interpretation?

You have assumed that apocalyptic literature is not predictive. Why? I could make an argument that it does have predictive power. But have you come to your conclusion on the basis of the genre, or literary analysis? It sounds from what you said that it is the former.

Get on with the interpretation without taking genre into account?

That wouldn't get you very far on a 'normal' literary study course, so I can't see why it shouldn't apply equally to theology or biblical studies.

I'll bow to your wider reading when it comes to the esteemed N T Wright's concerns, but I really don't see any of us mere mortal non-academic theologian posters closing things down by applying the term 'apocalyptic' to Revelation.

Rather, I see us avoiding the kind of hermeneutical traps that posters like Jamat have become ensnared by - Dispensationalism and all that malarkey and shite.

Posted by ThunderBunk (# 15579) on :

quote:
Get on with the interpretation without taking genre into account?

That wouldn't get you very far on a 'normal' literary study course, so I can't see why it shouldn't apply equally to theology or biblical studies.

I'll bow to your wider reading when it comes to the esteemed N T Wright's concerns, but I really don't see any of us mere mortal non-academic theologian posters closing things down by applying the term 'apocalyptic' to Revelation.

Rather, I see us avoiding the kind of hermeneutical traps that posters like Jamat have become ensnared by - Dispensationalism and all that malarkey and shite.

From a literary, rather that theological, perspective, my huge problem with genre criticism as carried out in theological circles is that the corpus available is pathetically small. I can't see the point of genre criticism unless there are extra-biblical texts which can be used as a point of comparison and contrast, which is where I join in the chorus of doubters of the value of the apocalyptic as a genre.

It is a preoccupation of biblical writings, for sure, but whether it comes with its own usefully discernible generic characteristics I'm not convinced.

Ok, I get that but as someone with literary rather than theological qualifications it goes against the grain.

I get that the genre pool (see what I did there?) is small but I'm not citing it as THE be all and end all in biblical interpretation.

I'm simply suggesting that it doesn't even seem to come into the equation in certain traditions.

I'm suggesting that those traditions might talk less bollocks if they actually took genre into account in some way or other at least.

Posted by ThunderBunk (# 15579) on :

quote:
Ok, I get that but as someone with literary rather than theological qualifications it goes against the grain.

I get that the genre pool (see what I did there?) is small but I'm not citing it as THE be all and end all in biblical interpretation.

I'm simply suggesting that it doesn't even seem to come into the equation in certain traditions.

I'm suggesting that those traditions might talk less bollocks if they actually took genre into account in some way or other at least.

I can see this, but I would suggest that, to be useful, the apocalyptic needs to be seen as a type of a wider genre, or a variant. I think my proposal would be to pair it with the prophetic. There have been rumours of this upthread, I know, but I think a more systematic and acknowledged approach is needed to make the classification really powerful as an interpretative, rather than a purely denotative, marker.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

quote:
Oh come on mousethief! Wake up and smell the coffee!

I know, I don't agree with you therefore I'm being stupid. I can think of a number of shipmates who employ this rhetoric. I thought it above you.

quote:
It’s because people get so preoccupied with the label that it is not worth the time and effort explaining the label ‘apocalyptic’ AND then moving on to the content. Just get on with the content.

But to a large extent, the content IS the label. That's how it got that label. Besides the people are going to hear others use that label, and you would keep them ignorant of what it means. You're being more than a little patronising.

quote:
Apocalyptic however, approached as a genre, has set up a firewall of expectations before you can get down to the literary analyses.
In a bunch of people who know neither the label, nor the books it describes? Very unlikely.

quote:
I do not have to go far to find it generating ink in the scholarly world either. N. T. Wright, for one, has had to expend some considerable resource in his works over the past few years in combatting – as he would argue – misguided approaches to apocalyptic literature in academia. Happy to provide references at length if you wish. By all means, if people want to learn about genre criticism then leap on the hog and let them know. But if they want to know what a book like Revelation means, why run the risks associated with genre criticism? Why not just get on with the interpretation?
You are speaking of two different groups of people, and moving the problems of one to the other. Academics can't be untaught the label. People who don't know the label don't have the baggage. You're borrowing trouble that doesn't exist.

quote:
You have assumed that apocalyptic literature is not predictive. Why?
I was following on from what Gamaliel said. Perhaps I misunderstood him. But I haven't "assumed" anything.

quote:
Letters (as a genre) do not generate the same level of contortion as Apocalyptic. But you can apply useful literary tools, such as semantic structure analyses, to them without being distracted by genre criticism (when was the last time you came across the type of argument that runs “This is an example of Letter, therefore it must refer to…”)?
When was the last time someone to whom you are introducing the word "apocalyptic" for the first time ever did anything of the sort, mutatis mutandis? Again, you are inventing problems that cannot possibly exist.

I tend to think that apocalyptic literature isn't predictive in the way fundamentalists understand such things.

If that helps ...

Posted by Jamat (# 11621) on :

quote:
I tend to think that apocalyptic literature isn't predictive in the way fundamentalists understand such things.

If that helps ...

So your genre label of ‘apocalyptic’’, is just a way for you to shut the door on it, avoid trying to interpret it, and enable you to state categorically that any predictive elements are speculations of an interpreter?

I think Nigel M’s comment that genre labels were not intended to be ‘load bearing’ is very insightful.

To return to the sonnet analogy, a sonnet by Donne, is usually close packed with compressed logic. Similarly, one by Shakespeare. The genre is not dictating message, rather vice verse, message is dictating genre.

[ 01. January 2018, 22:27: Message edited by: Jamat ]

Posted by Kwesi (# 10274) on :

I seem to recall that the meaning or punchline of a sonnet is the final couplet: a feature of the genre. There is a link between form and interpretation, is there not?

I'm not the one doing the ignoring, Jamat.

You are the one who is ignoring two centuries of biblical scholarship.

You are also being highly selective in picking those parts of Nigel M's response which accord most closely with your own highly conservative approach and ignoring comments by Thunder bunk and others that don't fly your way.

I've agreed that my sonnet analogy wasn't a good one and that a genre category such as 'science fiction' might be more helpful in a discussion of this kind.

I've also indicated that I can see why both Nigel M and Thunderbunk have challenged the premise outlined in the OP and have conceded some points - whilst continuing to defend others.

That's how debate works.

You'll also notice that rather than ignoring or refusing to interpret certain texts, I am engaging with those texts on the Daniel 9 thread.

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm the one who is asking questions.

Coming to a different conclusion to you isn't ignoring anything. It's the sign of an open mind.

quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
I seem to recall that the meaning or punchline of a sonnet is the final couplet: a feature of the genre. There is a link between form and interpretation, is there not?

That's only a feature of certain sonnets. Some have a 'volta' or change of direction in line 8 too.

Yes, form and message do go together, but it isn't always a direct relationship.

On Jamat's point about message determining form, then one could certainly make out a case for the author's of apocalyptic and prophetic literature choosing that form as it best suited their purpose.

They didn't have a dream one night then woke up in the morning and write it all down. However much dreams and visions werr involved they still had to marshal their material, they still had to choose a form.

The form they chose was the one I'm labelling 'apocalyptic'. That doesn't stymie interpretation. It aids it.

It stops us taking flights of fancy and constructing contrived and convoluted eschatological schemas in an attempt to make things 'fit'.

It helps us engage with the text properly, taking genre and intention into account.

Yes,the intention comes first. The form follows.

quote:
I can think of a number of shipmates who employ this rhetoric. I thought it above you.

You’d been adopting the genre labelled ‘sarcasm’, which was unnecessary and needed to be challenged.
quote:
Once you write something and present it to the world, it's out of your hands. You have no more say about it.

There’s an element of truth in this and certainly the Reader-Response advocates have trumpeted that slogan in the past.

I’d like to suggest, though (and I don’t know if this is what Garasu had in mind), that authors retain what could be called an Intellectual Property Right in, or Copyright for, or the Moral Right to be Identified with, their works even beyond the grave. If so, this adds a constraining factor to interpretation, genre analysis, and so on. The author continues to have a say. In major part this is because although the text is in the public arena (it’s out there), control is maintained by the fact that the author has written what he/she wrote, using the words he or she used in the way he or she used them, to effect an affect on an audience.
quote:
Keep 'em ignorant, eh? Easy to control?

On the issue of telling people what they want to know:

If you teach at a seminary or bible college then yes, you would need to tackle the issues, because they are there in the scholarly literature and need to be engaged with.

If you are in a church with people who are already familiar with the debates and issues, then yes, you would need to cover the issues.

If, however, you are in a more typical church with a congregation that is pressed for time and who want to understand what the author of Revelation meant, (or with Martin60 on the top of the Clapham Omnibus), then why would you do them such a disservice as to waste their precious time and resource in working through the discipline of genre criticism and its outputs, instead of just getting on with reading the text? If we were to adopt the idea of ‘not keeping people in the dark’, we would be teaching them to The End without ever getting into the text itself, regurgitating the stuff leaned at college, no matter how effective it is or isn't. That is not economical for the audience in church.

quote:
In which case you haven't said anything, or at least anything that nobody else here has said

I haven’t said there is anything particularly novel or extensive about the idea of skirting the issue of genre criticism when it comes to apocalypticism. In the give and take on this thread I have tried to explain the provide evidence in support for that idea as people have posted. I used to post lengthy posts, which tried to cover all the bases and provide counter for the range of objections I could think of, but decided to keep things short. That, of course, risks being probed for further detail, being misunderstood, or accused of holding to a particularly heinous heresy (not necessarily all on this thread), but that comes with the territory and often means the cumulative total font expended would have been the equal of a lengthy post to begin with.

So I have been a bit surprised that my point continues to arouse reaction. But the fact that Gamaliel felt a need to open this thread with the questions he raised, and the fact that we are having this extended conversation, does suggest that there is indeed a problem with the term Apocalyptic as a genre. It is not treated neutrally, but rather has come to carry imported assumptions, beyond its intended weight limit. Not something I have found to be the case with some other genre analyses.
quote:
You're borrowing trouble that doesn't exist.

In an earlier post I noted that the issue is widespread at a popular level. In addition to the God TV example, I am sure that a few minutes searching the internet will turn up a range of web sites that exemplify the problem. It’s not that hard to find or hear. I also noted that it is a problem at the academic level. I did look up N.T. Wright’s take on the issue and it was a matter of seconds to find a quote about the term Apocalyptic as a genre: “…this term has proved so slippery and many-sided in scholarly discourse that that one is often tempted to declare a moratorium on it altogether.”*

So the trouble does exist, and speaks on many levels…

As to the predictive element in apocalyptic, you did say in answer to my question, “Of course it is not.”

That leads me (obviously we are doomed to lengthy posts) to the question of just how useful the genre label is when we get into the text. I mentioned earlier the issue around bracketing out elements that are not deemed to be apocalyptic and how that impacts interpretation. Rev. 1 offers an example of this and also hints as to the predictive element.

The first 3 verses run like this in the NET Bible Version:
quote:

The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must happen very soon. He made it clear by sending his angel to his servant John, who then testified to everything that he saw concerning the word of God and the testimony about Jesus Christ. Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy aloud, and blessed are those who hear and obey the things written in it, because the time is near!

One constraining factor that the author holds over any later interpretation, genre analysis, etc., starts here. The author refers to what follows as ‘prophecy’. This is then followed by narrative elements, letter elements, and what genre critics would note as being apocalyptic:
quote:

From John, to the seven churches that are in the province of Asia: Grace and peace to you from “he who is,” and who was, and who is still to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ—the faithful witness, the firstborn from among the dead, the ruler over the kings of the earth. To the one who loves us and has set us free from our sins at the cost of his own blood and has appointed us as a kingdom, as priests serving his God and Father—to him be the glory and the power for ever and ever! Amen.
(Look! He is returning with the clouds,
and every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him,
and all the tribes on the earth will mourn because of him.
This will certainly come to pass! Amen.)

“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God—the one who is, and who was, and who is still to come—the All-Powerful!

I, John, your brother and the one who shares with you in the persecution, kingdom, and endurance that are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony about Jesus. I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day when I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, saying: “Write in a book what you see and send it to the seven churches—to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea.”

Clearly references there back into the Jewish Scriptures upen which much of Revelation as a book depends. But the mix of style and rhetoric is also clear. Even in just these first 10 verses I fail to see how relevant a prolonged discussion of the issues around an apocalyptic genre is going to be for interpreting the text. One need only get on with reading it and applying literary analysis with contextual support. That is the main driver for an interpretive output. Genre here would impose articial boundaries and risk bracketting out parts of the text that the author put together quite smoothly and without boundary.

* Wright, N.T., Paul, Fresh Perspectives. London: SPCK, 2005, p.41

I 'get' what you are saying, Nigel M and have a lot of sympathy with your approach.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that there is some kind of clear cut transition from 'non-apocalyptic' to 'apocalyptic' genres (for want of better terms) as you used to have in 'flash-backs' in films - where the screen would go all wobbly and you'd have twiddly music to show that some kind of time-transition was taking place.

All I am suggesting is that for the man on the Clapham Omnibus, so to speak, introducing the idea of an apocalyptic genre - however slippery that term might be, as N T Wright observes, does, at the very least, put us on our guard against the kind of elaborate eschatological speculations found in some traditions.

That's all.

As for the predictive element, yes there are hints of that in Revelation but it's clearly addressing contemporary concerns - 'what must soon take place' - rather than a case of, 'Look folks, this is going to be nothing to do with you but it's there so that people can get the right end of the stick from the 1830s onwards and be fair warned about the end of the world ...'

[Roll Eyes]

I may be over-stating my case but you're as aware - if not more aware - of the sort of bollocks there is out there on eschatological websites and God TV and all that malarkey.

Yes, let's got on and interpret what it says - but in the context of the genre in which it was written.

Both/and ...

Fair enough, I’d say, if it genuinely assists with interpretation within the particular context in which you find yourself.

Thinking a bit further about the predictive sense, I wonder if it is helpful to distinguish between 3 types:

[1] The short-term prediction: the communication from the author to his/her audience relates to a current or near anticipated issue. That’s the scenario you set out in the OP. I would guess that there is no one on the Ship (now there’s a hostage to fortune) who would object to a text like Revelation being at least that. Perhaps this comes closest to what has been called the preterist position.

[2] A ‘weak’ longer-term prediction: the communication from the author to his/her audience builds on the expectations of God’s people expressed in the Jewish Scriptures (and beyond) where promises can take several generations before fulfilment. One example would be Abram who had a promise of land, but for a later generation to possess. Then there are the more widespread examples of how persistent wrong behaviour under a covenant would result in exile; the people exhibiting the wrong behaviour could be several generations before the actual exile, but it was reasonable for a prophet to say that the exile would come one day. I think we could probably put into this category Jesus’ prediction of the end of the Jerusalem temple. If a ‘weak’ option is held here, prediction would be reasonable because Jesus could be said to be building on the known expectations of his era that God would let (or even organise) destruction as a sanction against persistent wrong behaviour.

As an aside here, I know Martin60 voiced a concern (another thread) about magic. In this ‘weak’ option, there is no magic; the prophet could be said to be acting – as a good little theologian – on what he understood about God and God’s expectations under a covenant worldview, and is quite reasonably saying: “You know it is the case that behaviour ‘x’ results in outcome ‘y’? Well, your behaviour is ‘x’ so you can be assured that ‘y’ will come down the line.”

[3] A ‘strong’ longer-term prediction: the communication from the author to his/her audience includes, whether consciously intended or not, an expectation that there is a more definitive fulfilment at a further remove in time, the detail around which is contained in the enhanced symbolism used by the author.

I assume it this third option that is the real focus of attention on these threads. An argument in support of three above could run:

By the time of the second temple era in Judaism (i.e., post Babylonian exile and up to the Bar Kokhba revolt in 135 AD), theologians had acquired sufficient knowledge of how God worked to enable them to say that there would be a final, one-off, event in the future when God would return to rule his creation, reward his loyal people and sanction traitors. They could also build on their knowledge to begin answering the “Yes, but how?” question, although the preference was to use the rhetoric of enhanced symbolism to picture God’s action in the world.

In the biblical literature I think we have authors who are really bedded in the past for their predictive elements. I know there is literature that comes along a bit later in both Judaism and Christianity that seems to go on flights of fancy, cut loose from any past anchor.

As to the “When?” question, my personal preference is to take seriously Jesus’ statement in Matt. 24:26 (= Mk. 13:32):
quote:
“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.”
If not even Jesus knew, then there is little chance we would. This is parallelled in Acts 1:6f:
quote:
Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.”
I think we also have a warning about dating in Mark 13, where Jesus answers the “When” question with advice to ignore signs (which will always be there) in favour of watching behaviour.

All that goes to the “When”, but leaves open the “How” of God’s action at some point.

I like that Nigel M.

So do I.

quote:
Gamaliel: All I am suggesting is that for the man on the Clapham Omnibus, so to speak, introducing the idea of an apocalyptic genre - however slippery that term might be, as N T Wright observes, does, at the very least, put us on our guard against the kind of elaborate eschatological speculations found in some traditions.

But really you are suggesting more than that. You are suggesting that the label 'apocalyptic' is a mental barrier against theology that you believe has led to futurist interpretations that you see as damaging.

The problem I have with that, (despite being one of those nutty people,) is that you do not discriminate almonds from cashews. Your thinking leads to a generalised dismissal of any scripture you choose to define like that eg Daniel ch 7-12..

" Oh well, lets forget what it means or what is intended by the author .. probably it's redacted anyway..too hard basket .. etc"

But if that is the case why is it in the Bible in the first place?

Propaganda.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
quote:
Gamaliel: All I am suggesting is that for the man on the Clapham Omnibus, so to speak, introducing the idea of an apocalyptic genre - however slippery that term might be, as N T Wright observes, does, at the very least, put us on our guard against the kind of elaborate eschatological speculations found in some traditions.

But really you are suggesting more than that. You are suggesting that the label 'apocalyptic' is a mental barrier against theology that you believe has led to futurist interpretations that you see as damaging.

The problem I have with that, (despite being one of those nutty people,) is that you do not discriminate almonds from cashews. Your thinking leads to a generalised dismissal of any scripture you choose to define like that eg Daniel ch 7-12..

" Oh well, lets forget what it means or what is intended by the author .. probably it's redacted anyway..too hard basket .. etc"

But if that is the case why is it in the Bible in the first place?

No, I am not suggesting that it's a 'mental barrier' against the kind of theology you espouse, rather that - alongside other considerations such as those eloquently outlined by both Nigel M and Thunderbunk - it can help us understand:

- The author's intentions.

- Why it's there.

- How we can go about interpreting it.

Namely, not how you do ...
[Biased] [Razz]

You've yet to show me how I've failed to engage with the passages you cite. I've done that in the Daniel 9 thread.

Because my approach and conclusions don't conform to yours you dismiss them out of hand ... whilst accusing me of doing the same simply by the expedient of referring to them as 'apocalyptic literature.'

If you actually bothered to read my posts properly you'll see that I am actually engaging with the texts and not switching my brain off as you allege.

I wouldn't completely rule out a 'futurist' approach, but would add certain caveats. Nigel M has done a good job of outlining what those might be.

'Of that day and of that hour ...'

I really don't see the point of interpreting these things in a way off, futurist way. What possible value would that have had for the first hearers/readers?

Why are passages like Daniel chapters 7-12 in the Bible in the first place?

Same reason as why Malachi is in there, or Song of Songs, or Esther or Job, Jonah, Amos, Obadiah, Proverbs or Deuteronomy, or Hebrews or Jude or the Epistle of James ...

Because it was agreed to 'canonise' them at some point.

Are they profitable to read and useful for teaching, correcting, rebuking and training in righteousness?

Yes, most certainly.

That doesn't mean that they are there to provide us with some kind of tour-guide to the end of the world.

Why do you think the Eastern Churches were late and reluctant in accepting Revelation into the canon?

Precisely because they realised that people would read all sorts of whacky theories and forecasts into it, which is exactly what has happened at your end of the spectrum.

One way of guarding against that is to categorise such writings as 'apocalyptic' and therefore subject to other rules of interpretation to some extent than those that might be applied to other parts of scripture.

It ain't the only way, but it is one way of setting a marker. 'Watch out folks, don't try this at home ...'

I fully accept that there are dangers associated with applying that label - and Nigel M has made out a strong case for that.

Fine.

But surely treating these passages with caution and applying an 'apocalyptic' label to them, however slippery the gum on that adhesive label might be - is eminently preferable to opening the bottle, drinking it all down without reading the label and then wondering why you've got a tummy ache ...

Bottles of medicine and bottles of aspirin have safety labels on for a reason.

Some of the more 'spaced-out' sounding biblical passages can go to people's heads. People do daft things with them ... think Munster ... think millenarian sects taking themselves off to the hills ...

Of course, there are dangers with everything, but at least by labelling something 'apocalyptic' we are making some attempt to provide a warning.

If you choose to ignore such warnings and end up with your head in the clouds, then that's up to you.

quote:
Gamaliel: why are passages like Daniel chapters 7-12 in the Bible in the first place?

Same reason as why Malachi is in there, or Song of Songs, or Esther or Job, Jonah, Amos, Obadiah, Proverbs or Deuteronomy, or Hebrews or Jude or the Epistle of James ...

Because it was agreed to 'canonise' them at some point.

Are they profitable to read and useful for teaching, correcting, rebuking and training in righteousness?

Yes, most certainly.

That doesn't mean that they are there to provide us with some kind of tour-guide to the end of the world.

Why do you think the Eastern Churches were late and reluctant in accepting Revelation into the canon

There are a few points here.
‘canonising’ is not an explanatory term unless you unpack who did it and their authority to do it.

If it was an agreed canonisation by generations of Jewish scholars scribes and Rabbis, then what value did they see in the documents if they were NOT a ‘tour guide’ to the establishment of God’s kingdom and fulfilment of his covenants made with the patriarchs..which when you boil it down means the end of the age at least though not the end of the world.

I have no knowledge of the Eastern churches and am not sure why you think they are relevant to the discussion.

Then you are simply displaying your own ignorance.

The reason I cite the reluctance of the Eastern Churches to accept Revelation into the canon until quite late on - around the 5th century - was to indicate that consensus came quite late and was only achieved over time.

The fact that some sections of the Christian church were initially reluctant to unequivocally accept part of what we now call the New Testament tells us a number of things. It tells us something of how the process of canonisation worked and demonstrates that there were concerns about how literature of this kind might be interpreted.

Of course the Eastern churches read Revelation and treat it as canonical but even today they don't use it liturgically, it's not read in church.

Whatever else that tells us and whether they were right or wrong to do so it at least demonstrates concerns about how these things should be handled.

You mentioned the Dead Sea Scrolls earlier. Whilst they contain all the canonical OT books apart from Esther they contain all sorts of other material we wouldn't consider canonical today. There's some dispute as to when the Jews actually agreed on a fixed canon for their sacred writings but it seems to have taken place sometime into what we'd call the Christian era.

Anyhow, my point is that the process of canonisation happens in community and through discussion and debate until some kind of consensus emerges. That doesn't obviate the divine element of course.

Of course the Rabbis saw these texts as significant and that's why they canonised them.

How they regarded / regard them, I don't know as I'm not Jewish but you'll know as well as I do that there are a wide range of views within contemporary Judaism as there are within Christianity.

I used to live within easy walking distance of 4 synagogues and they all had their own flavour, whether Orthodox, Reform or somewhere in between.

I don't know enough about Jewish eschatology to comment on how they see things panning out 'at the end of the age' but I'd imagine there's a range of views there just as there are among Christians.

quote:
Of course the Rabbis saw these texts as significant and that's why they canonised them.

How they regarded / regard them, I don't know as I'm not Jewish but you'll know as well as I do that there are a wide range of views within contemporary Judaism as there are within Christianity.

I used to live within easy walking distance of 4 synagogues and they all had their own flavour, whether Orthodox, Reform or somewhere in between.

I don't know enough about Jewish eschatology to comment on how they see things panning out 'at the end of the age' but I'd imagine there's a range of views there just as there are among Christians.

So now that’s off your chest why aren’t these so called apocalyptic narratives ‘tour guides’ to the end of the age given they are in the canon and the intent of the authors was to pass on divine information about how history will wrap up?

I also like what Nigel M said but would put the warnings about not trying to date when the end will come much stronger than Nigel does.

quote:

As far as the book of Daniel is concerned there are many interpretations, but they fall into two main groups. Those who say that Daniel is included when the Talmud says "48 prophets and 7 prophetesses prophesied to Israel" and those who do not.

Sorry, I about whyhave not gone in to this far enough, so I may not be of further help, but there is a view that visions can either be prophesy or ruach ha-kodesh, divine inspiration.

Ruach ha-kodesh is the type of inspiration that inspired poets to write Psalms/Proverbs/Job rather than directly prophesy, and Daniel is put into that category.

This partly contradicts what I said upthread about why Daniel is not in the Prophets in the Jewish ordering, but, as you said, there are a range of interpretations within Judaism.

However, it isn't a large step from saying that the inspiration behind Daniel is ruach ha-kadesh and saying that early Jewish Christians would have understood Revelation to be of divine inspiration and not prophesy.

quote:
I have no knowledge of the Eastern churches and am not sure why you think they are relevant to the discussion.

Ain't that just the way?

quote:
So now that’s off your chest why aren’t these so called apocalyptic narratives ‘tour guides’ to the end of the age given they are in the canon and the intent of the authors was to pass on divine information about how history will wrap up?
Was that their intent? You haven't demonstrated that. Others have given other interpretations that are just as prima facie plausible as yours.

quote:
You’d been adopting the genre labelled ‘sarcasm’, which was unnecessary and needed to be challenged.

Sarcasm isn't successfully challenged by assholery.

quote:
In major part this is because although the text is in the public arena (it’s out there), control is maintained by the fact that the author has written what he/she wrote, using the words he or she used in the way he or she used them, to effect an affect on an audience.
This adds no argument to effect your case. "It belongs to the author because the author wrote it." That's just tautological. Yes, the author wrote it. But if the words themselves don't do the work the author intended, then sucks to be that author. Because what we have are the words.

quote:
“…this term has proved so slippery and many-sided in scholarly discourse that that one is often tempted to declare a moratorium on it altogether.”*
This quote shows confusion in the academy. I already admitted confusion in the academy, and was challenging confusion in the ignorant. As such this quote is irrelevant to the point I was making.

quote:
That leads me (obviously we are doomed to lengthy posts) to the question of just how useful the genre label is when we get into the text.
But I've already mentioned this. It is more useful, to someone who wants to understand the crazy bits of Revelation, to compare it to the crazy bits of Daniel than to compare it to Love's Labour's Lost. Why? Because the relevant bits of Daniel and the relevant bits of Revelation share something that is encapsulated by saying they are both apocalyptic literature. The genre label picks out a group of writings and says, "These have stuff in common, and it can be useful to compare and contrast them to learn more about either/both." That's a huge part of what genre does. You could argue that when discussing Scripture, it's its most important job.

The intent of the authors seems to have been primarily to comment on contemporary developments and concerns using particular rhetorical, allegorical and prophetic / poetic devices.

Given their context they were also concerned about the ultimate fulfilment of all things too - 'all will come right in the end.'

So, yes, I accept an eschatological dimension.

What I don't accept is the use of these apocalyptic texts to construct an elaborate schema to predict, forecast or delineate a blue-print sequence of events to chart the end of the world.

That's not the point, not the purpose nor is it how texts of this kind work.

quote:
What I don't accept is the use of these apocalyptic texts to construct an elaborate schema to predict, forecast or delineate a blue-print sequence of events to chart the end of the world.
It’s also not something You have proved futurists do though you assert it often enough!

The EschatonЯus, it's about our yearning, our psychology. Or is Jesus going to land on the Mount of Olives and clave it in twain any day now then? Or in a hundred, thousand, hundred thousand years?

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel
Then you are simply displaying your own ignorance.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamat
So now that’s off your chest...

Host hat on

Please try to keep personal feelings out of this.

Host hat off

Moo

quote:
quote:
It’s also not something You have proved futurists do though you assert it often enough!
Yes, I have asserted it often enough because my perception is that this is exactly what they do.

But then, I'm not a Futurist.

You are, so your perception is going to be different to mine.

What looks to you like a straight-forward extrapolation from the text doesn't look that way to me. To me it looks like an attempt to create an elaborate schema by working out the 'weeks' in Daniel or by counting the number of heads on the beasts of Revelation ...

And so on and so forth.

One man's 'plain reading of scripture' looks like another man's convoluted and contrived eschatological speculation.

I don't mean that as an insult. I'm speaking as I find. And I find that Futurists do engage in futile speculations. From my point of view, that is.

quote:
One man's 'plain reading of scripture' looks like another man's convoluted and contrived eschatological speculation
Do you not think it is time to dispense with generalities?
What specifically do you see as convoluted and contrived speculation.
If you reply date setting and survivalism and other kinds of escapism rather than dealing with life’s realities, then I think I’d agree. But surely, these are straw men and excuses for people to talk past one another.

Looking for the Lord’s coming as a motivation for holy living is more what I am about. To me, study of prophecy, as part of what the Lord said about his return, cannot be ignored but certainly, it is an area fraught with difficulties which, incidentally, do not go away by ignoring them or throwing up the hands in despair of understanding them.

Well, constructing tiered and multi-layered accounts of the Eschaton involving multiple returns of Christ and a literal Millennium and Raptures and goodness knows what else falls into the category of unhelpful speculation as far as I can see ...

But our mileages will vary.

I'm not 'ignoring' anything.

quote:
Well, constructing tiered and multi-layered accounts of the Eschaton involving multiple returns of Christ and a literal Millennium and Raptures and goodness knows what else falls into the category of unhelpful speculation as far as I can see ...

But our mileages will vary.

I'm not 'ignoring' anything.

But if you toss out a literal future kingdom, then you are allegorising. One end of that is Gnosticism and the other a kind of alternative that substitutes human speculation for the
Clear’I will return and receive you unto myself’ Jn 14 teaching of the Lord.

Where have I said that I don't believe in a future fulfilment of the Kingdom?

You seem to think that the only alternatives to a pre-millenialist, Dispensationalist schema is some form of Gnosticism on the one hand or a kind of Spong-like liberalism on the other.

You also seem unwilling or unable to recognise elements that are clearly allegorical. If many-headed beasts and strange, surreal creatures aren't allegorical then what are they?

quote:
You also seem unwilling or unable to recognise elements that are clearly allegorical. If many-headed beasts and strange, surreal creatures aren't allegorical then what are they?

No That is a generalisation. If I look at the beasts of Daniel it is clear that each represents an earthly kingdom. They are not seen as real leopards or bears. The text clearly shows us how to interpret them.

If you are referring to angelic beings that speak to Daniel or John and administer the judgements of God, then these are known only by their appearance to Daniel eg man-like, or by their function as oracles and transmitters of God’s Judgements.

If you assume the ancient texts are written by simpletons then you tend to judge them from a position of superiority. Apart from technologies, why is this fair?

Nobody is saying the ancient texts were written by simpletons. They are very sophisticated.

I've seen you take references in Revelation literally that I wouldn't interpret that way. That says something about us, not about the original authors.

I don't mean that performatively either. It simply means that we are using somewhat different interpretative tools in some me instances.

In other instances our interpretations would be identical or broadly similar.

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

If we assume that God is the ultimate author of this literature, then I would think that we would assume that it is about what He is interested in. Not about kingdoms or political events, or even about events that can be physically observed. It is about the spiritual progress of humanity.

Isn't it reasonable to read these curious texts as saying simply that there are spiritual threats and serious bumps in the road in humanity's future, but that all will be well in the end? [Angel]

quote:
Gamaliel: nobody is saying the ancient texts were written by simpletons. They are very sophisticated.

I've seen you take references in Revelation literally that I wouldn't interpret that way. That says something about us, not about the original authors.

It seems to be a fair assumption. The reasoning goes thus:

Ancient docs reflect unevolved, non technological thinking.

This was fraught with superstition, super religious belief that the god’s pulled the strings and one needed to placate them.

Nowadays this superstition is regarded as silly. We know way more about the universe and time will continue to uncover further causes rendering religion irrelevant.

So when you look at the Bible, you have to realise and allow for the the Bronze Age mind and not expect too much.
It is unsurprising to find errors in scripture..get with the programme.

By the way, please refer to specific comments rather than..
‘I’ve seen you do this or that in past discussions’...

I'll thank you not to second-guess what my reasoning is and allow me to speak for myself rather than you imposing assumptions about what I'm saying based on what strikes me as broad brush generalisations.

You accuse me of not being specific enough but your posts often strike me the same way, a rehashing of entrenched Pre-millenialist Dispensationalist positions in a way that dismisses any other view as a slippery slope towards apostasy.

If you want a specific example, I once read a post of yours in which you appeared to believe in literal humanoid 'locusts' with poisonous stings in Revelation 9.

I'm not making any value judgements about our ancestors in terms of their cosmology,world-view or anything else.

All I am saying is 'apocalyptic' narratives operate on a different wavelength to what we might regard as more conventional narrative forms. They are often less linear, for one thing and they often fuse symbolic, allegorical and more naturalist elements - a bit like 'magic realism' in late 20th century novels.

Although, like any analogy that only takes us a short way down the track.

I'm not saying that certain biblical writers wrote that way because they were stupid or ignorant. Rather, I'm saying they wrote that way because it suited their authorial purpose and it helped them get their point across.

These texts are sophisticated, multi-layered and intriguing. They operate on different levels. Like poetry you don't have to grasp all the details in order to experience the overall effect.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't get to grips with the details, of course, but we run the risk of category error if we seek to decode them as blow-by-blow linear projections and forecasts about the end of the world.

In his Apocalypse, John was reaching back into the literary heritage of his own people and applying tropes, imagery and themes from that to the immediate problems and issues of his own age. I don't have an issue with there being foretastes,if you like, of future fulfilment and the consummation of all things.

But let's understand the genre and how these texts work.

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel
I'll thank you not to second-guess what my reasoning is and allow me to speak for myself rather than you imposing assumptions about what I'm saying based on what strikes me as broad brush generalisations.

You accuse me of not being specific enough but your posts often strike me the same way, a rehashing of entrenched Pre-millenialist Dispensationalist positions in a way that dismisses any other view as a slippery slope towards apostasy.

If you want a specific example, I once read a post of yours in which you appeared to believe in literal humanoid 'locusts' with poisonous stings in Revelation 9.

Host hat on

Gamaliel, cool it.

Host hat off

Moo

quote:
Gamaliel: ..not saying that certain biblical writers wrote that way because they were stupid or ignorant. Rather, I'm saying they wrote that way because it suited their authorial purpose and it helped them get their point across
Apologies Moo..Gamaliel, no personal inference was intended.

The issue though is what that POINT is. You can judge by its subject matter that the texts that involve predictive visions like Revelation and Daniel and parts of many others, are often about the way God intends to resolve human affairs in the final wash-up. In trying to deal with this subject matter you do have an interpretive mine field.

My point above is that one can tend to be dismissive of their cogency and connectedness if one assumes they are primitive in conception and it is tempting to do this.

Regarding the creatures referred to in Rev 9:19, as the judgement released here is future, I have no idea what these horses are. They are nothing like anything that corresponds to our current realities so are probably demonic creatures. If you ask me if I think they are literally true, I think I would say John saw something as part of his vision that was but as he did not fully understand what he saw, how can we? Like a lot of stuff in the Bible, we are told only what we are told and speculation just confuses matters.

But why do you have to interpret them as literal, physical entities at all, Jamat?

We are dealing with dreams and visions here, with 'picture language'.

I'm not so 'liberal' that I don't believe in the Devil or in demons, but I don't envisage them as actual physical beings in the sense that we are accustomed to - only with pointy tails and horns and so forth.

Why do you feel the 'need' to interpret the creatures in Revelation 9 in a literal or physical sense?

Whether as hybrid horse/locust/human beings or some kind of demon?

Why not take them in some kind of figurative sense as conveying something of the seriousness of the nature of sin and judgement?

I can't offer any particularly wise insights into what these creatures represent whether the 'locusts' from Rev:9:3-10 or the 'horses and riders' in Rev:17-19.

However, in terms of imagery and bearing in mind the genre - 'apocalyptic literature' - then I'd argue that it's possible to derive some insight from the kind of tropes and pictures painted.

After all, when it talks of Jesus as having a 'sharp double-edged sword' coming out of his mouth (Rev:1:16) we don't interpret that to mean that his tongue is actually some kind of blade, do we?

No, we look at other biblical images about swords and so on - and that helps us to understand this particular word-picture: cf. Hebrews 4:12

http://biblehub.com/hebrews/4-12.htm

Both the 'locusts' and the 'horses' in Revelation 9 have poison in their mouths and in their tails - they sting at both ends as it were. The 'locusts' wear crowns - 'principalities and powers'? They look a bit like people - and yet have lions' teeth. The 'horses' later on have the heads of lions - what does that remind us of?

Our enemy, the Devil, we are told in 1 Peter 5:8 prowls around 'like a roaring lion' seeking whom he may devour:

http://biblehub.com/1_peter/5-8.htm

We're dealing with 'picture-language' that describes embodiments of evil. It's a bit like heraldry.

I'm not suggesting that John didn't have dreams and visions, that he simply wrote Revelation in the way that Milton wrote Paradise Lost, say or Bunyan wrote Pilgrim's Progress (presenting it as some kind of dream for literary effect).

It's more than a work of imagination in that respect. But the issue isn't whether John had actual visions but what he intended his visionary descriptions to convey.

They will have had resonance and meaning for the people he was addressing in the immediate circumstances they were facing.

It's application for us isn't to warn us that one day we'll see some whacky demonic creatures chasing around and stinging people, rather that this current world-order will pass away and that we can expect nasty things to happen - judgements, poison etc etc until it does.

quote:
However, in terms of imagery and bearing in mind the genre - 'apocalyptic literature' - then I'd argue that it's possible to derive some insight from the kind of tropes and pictures painted.

<snippety snip>Both the 'locusts' and the 'horses' in Revelation 9 have poison in their mouths and in their tails - they sting at both ends as it were. The 'locusts' wear crowns - 'principalities and powers'? They look a bit like people - and yet have lions' teeth. The 'horses' later on have the heads of lions - what does that remind us of?

Our enemy, the Devil, we are told in 1 Peter 5:8 prowls around 'like a roaring lion' seeking whom he may devour:

http://biblehub.com/1_peter/5-8.htm

We're dealing with 'picture-language' that describes embodiments of evil. It's a bit like heraldry.

I beg to differ on that. When interpreting Revelation I'd first look at the imagery used elsewhere in Revelation. In 5:5 we have "Stop weeping; behold, the Lion that is from the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has overcome so as to open the book and its seven seals" In Revelation 5 the lion is Christ, with the imagery going back to the lion being the symbol of the tribe of Judah in Genesis.

The very next verse after the one Jamat quoted says that despite the action of the horses people still continued to worship demons. So in context I would say the horses representing demons or the devil seems unlikely.

If you look at the wider context, this happens after the 6th angel has blown a trumpet. The 7 angels with trumpets passage, starting in Chapter 8, are judgements not on those with the mark of God.

My interpretation is the judgement of Christ on those who reject him. As always other interpretations are possible, but this one works for me. Is Satan waging war on his own followers?

Ok, the 'Aslan isn't safe' thing ...

I think that's a good point about comparing imagery within a book - be it Revelation or any other scriptural book - before referring to other texts from other parts of scripture - as I did.

I was thinking aloud. I don't really have any firm or fixed idea on what the 'locusts' and the 'horses' are meant to represent but I think the features are interesting and I think it's an interesting point you've made ...

You could argue that it shows that people still continue to 'follow evil' despite the harm it causes.

There are various possible applications.

Good one. Food for thought.

quote:
But why do you have to interpret them as literal, physical entities at all, Jamat?
I didn't. What I said was John saw something literal..nothing about physical but real in effect if you like in the power to inflict pain.
It seems to me that you are jumping to a lot of conclusions in categorising.

In what way? Jumping to a lot of conclusions about you or about Revelation?

[Confused]

How can it be literal when it's a dream or vision?

The whole point about dreams and visions is that they aren't 'literal' but act like visual metaphors.

That's the whole point of them.

It'd be like saying that 'My loves is like a red, red rose' means that the author's beloved is some kind of garden plant ...

Sin, evil etc causes all kinds of pain, emotional, psychological, physical ...

quote:
How can it be literal when it's a dream or vision?

The whole point about dreams and visions is that they aren't 'literal' but act like visual metaphors.

That's the whole point of them.

It'd be like saying that 'My loves is like a red, red rose' means that the author's beloved is some kind of garden plant ...

Sin, evil etc causes all kinds of pain, emotional, psychological, physical ...

John saw something ..he literally did! Seems to me you are being a bit literal here in your definition of literal. Realities come in other forms than the physical.

Of course.

But literally seeing something and seeing something literally are quite differeny things ...

quote:
Of course.

But literally seeing something and seeing something literally are quite differeny things ...

Sounds like progress.

Ha ha ...

Progress on whose side?

Yours or mine?

quote:
You could argue that it shows that people still continue to 'follow evil' despite the harm it causes.

The "Satan waging war on his own followers" phrase I lifted straight from the ESV Study Bible, but it didn't seem to ring true. Especially as this was the 6th trumpet, and the 7th trumpet announces [cue orchestral introduction and Baroque choir] The kingdom of this world is become the kingdom of our God and of his Christ, and He shall live for ever and ever. [I am now responsible for your Hallelujah Chorus earworm].

The Judgement of Christ just fits better IMO.

Seeing that the inspiration of Apocalyptic literature is seen by the Jews as less direct than prophesy, and in line with the poetry of Job, Psalms or Proverbs, I will try to sum up my position in a poem. I choose Haiku.

Apocalyptic:
No matter how bad things seem
judgement comes. God wins.

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Apocalyptic:
No matter how bad things seem
judgement comes. God wins.

Sums it up perfectly. [Overused]

Well yes, and I think it's been observed on these threads that the Jews classify Daniel among the 'Writings' rather than among 'The Prophets'.

I wouldn't make too fine a distinction between prophetic and apocalyptic writings/genres, but I think the Jewish categorisation is instructive.

Also, I'd have thought the whole 'point' of biblical prophecy and NT apocalyptic is to act as a, 'revelation of Jesus Christ', as the Book of Revelation puts it.

Whatever else it might be there for, the prime reason is to tell us something about the Lord Jesus Christ.

Trying to concoct some kind of blue-print for the Eschaton based on snippets and passages in the scriptures - both the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament - strikes me as being of a way, way, way, way lower order of priority.

It descends into the realm of pure speculation however much certain kinds of highly-literal Millenialists and Dispensationalists go in for their elaborate and self-referring hermeneutics.

Aye, their prime reason. Men who lived two to two and a half thousand years ago. But God's? May be. To us? May be. I always liked Ezekiel's style, 'Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the river of Chebar, that the heavens were opened, and I saw visions of God'. I can see that happening to John of Patmos too, down on the beach. Wonderful, strange, harmless, encouraging stuff of its time and all times I'm sure.

[ 05. January 2018, 16:31: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

quote:
It descends into the realm of pure speculation however much certain kinds of highly-literal Millenialists and Dispensationalists go in for their elaborate and self-referring hermeneutics.

While I fully agree with this I find the opposite speculation, the Pretorist everything has already happened approach even less helpful.

Scripture often has more than one meaning, but for the primary purpose of this style I look at what the persecuted Church is saying. Anything else is secondary.

Well yes, the persecuted believers will relate to these texts in an analogous way to how the first readers would - as something that 'speaks to their condition' to use a Quaker phrase.

It's the rest of us who have the luxury of armchair speculation.

That said, the reality, of course is that whatever persecuted believers are going through they'll respond using the resources of their own tradition. If they are Catholics they'll respond in a more Catholic flavoured way, Orthodox in an Orthodox way, if evangelical Protestants in an evangelical Protestant way.

So if they are into the kind of pre-millenialist and Dispensationalist schemas that Jamat favours, then they'll apply those.

If not, they won't.

quote:
So if they are into the kind of pre-millenialist and Dispensationalist schemas that Jamat favours, then they'll apply those.

If not, they won't.

I don't see much evidence of them doing that. Others are saying that supposedly on their behalf though.

Perhaps. My point was that if you were some kind of fundagelical given to end-time speculation and lived somewhere where Christians were routinely persecuted, then you reaction would presumably draw on that.

As it happens, Christians of all stripes routinely face persecution in various parts of the world, so no, we aren't getting a chorus of end-time speculation from them because they aren't all given to it.

What you do get here, in low Anglicanism, is the near orgasmic thrill of martyrdom by proxy.

Hah!

Posted by RdrEmCofE (# 17511) on :

quote:
Previously stated on thread
The Hebrew understanding had relatively little to do with foretelling future events and much more to do with conveying the divine message to people now. The prophet was the spokesperson of God. In traditional Jewish understanding, Torah and the Writings were also written by prophets, such as Moses, David and Solomon. What distinguishes the books classified as Prophets is a focus on calling Israel to faithfulness, on challenging Israel's unfaithfulness, and on describing what God intends for Israel.

This is a good working rule to have in mind whenever reading the apocalyptic genre. Jesus is presented in NT scripture as THE Prophet that Moses predicted, (according to scripture), and the one that Moses had instructed future Israelites to 'listen to'. Deut. 18:15.

Moses's advice then gets interpreted as the prophetic statement of a seer.

quote:
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities. Acts 3:19-26
There is nothing in the original statement by Moses to indicate that he had definite foreknowledge that his words would be taken by Peter to refer to Jesus Christ as The expected Prophet. Moses merely wanted to lay out exactly how the people he was adressing should recognise a person claiming to be speaking with a voice of authority regarding how they should behave in God's sight.

But it certainly came to pass that Moses's words turned out to be a prediction.

So the principle seems clear that prophesy has two distinct elements. The original meaning understood by the originator of the prophesy, (i.e. the teaching), and the subsequent interpretation in hindsight placed upon it. Both are now in scripture and both are supposedly equally 'inspired'.

Another important point is that the Moses 'prophesy' in this case is not a 'prediction' at all. It is a set of rules whereby they may recognise and ignore false leadership or recognise and obey legitimate authority. It is definitely not the prediction of a seer regarding a messianic figure in future time.

However, very little indeed of what Jesus Christ taught and has been recorded, is in fact apocalyptic. The vast majority of his words were about human conduct in the present, here and now. The main objective in his teaching was to establish the Kingdom of God 'on earth'. It was his first objective stated in the Lord's prayer, and enjoined on his disciples, after stating God's credentials and recognising God's authority. "They Kingdom come, They will be done."

So even though Peter presented Christ as THE PROPHET predicted by Moses, Christ in fact was primarily a legislator for the New Order of Conduct for God's people, rather than a seer and predictor of the future per se.

quote:
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began
It is clear that the present conduct of believers and their eschatological hopes of the future are inseparable but that is what fundyjelicals are inclined to do, separate them, majoring on the supposed predictive future element, (Luv our SUV's and Bring on Armageddon), to the detriment of the practical application of Christian ethics to the current situation. (Love your neighbour, e.g. in Islands threatened by GW inundation, as your Good ol boy American self).

Very good.

© Ship of Fools 2016