Thread: Ship of Fools Book Group -2017 Board: Heaven / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012798

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

A new thread for a new year.

This is the book group programme so far for 2017.

January - 'Golden Hill' led by Dafyd
February - 'The Rabbit Back Literary Society' led by Fineline
March - 'Boneland' led by Tubbs
April- 'Cotillion' led by Brenda Clough (Is April OK?)
May - 'After Atlas' led by Jane R

If you haven't joined in with the book group before it works like this. Someone leads the group for the month, posting up a thread about the book at the beginning of the month and some questions for discussion on or around the 20th. If you want to discuss wider issues sorrounding the authors work, feel free to do so. We had some interesting discussions about P.G. Wodehosue and Dorothy L. Sayers last year for instance.

January's discussion will be opening shortly, but in the meantime I was wondering about poetry. Have we ever discussed a poetry book and is it soemthing people would be interested in?

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Bumping up so the thread don't sink!

Thanks Tree Bee.
Any more suggestions? I'm reading A Wizard of Earthsea at the moment. Have we ever discussed it?

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

That one is a classic.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

Have we thought about The Essex Serpent, by Sarah Perry?

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Ooh, I'd like an excuse to read The Essex Serpent.

Thik I agree about The Essex Serpent . I know nothing about it, but it keeps on popping up as a suggested read on my Kindle.
I was also wondering about Not Forgetting the Whale , a book everyone in my family has enjoyed.

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

I think on the old thread I suggested Emma Donoghue's "The Wonder," if anyone is interested. Interesting historical fiction with some intriguing reflection on faith, skepticism, and miracles.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

I just ordered the Feb. book, so hope to join in!
[Smile]

Trudy Scrumptious, Apologies for me forgetting about The Wonder. It sounds something that I'd for one would enjoy reading. Are you free to lead on it sometime later in the year?
In other news I've put The Essex Serpent on my to read list. Has anyone read it yet?

BTW the programme for the year so far is as follows:

January - 'Golden Hill' led by Dafyd - open now
April- 'Cotillion' led by Brenda Clough (Is April OK?)

Yes, I'm quite happy to lead a discussion on The Wonder anytime we can fit it into the schedule.

How about June for The Wonder, if that's OK?

Yes, that works for me.

I am good with April for COTILLION, btw.

So the updated programme for the year so far is:

April- 'Cotillion' led by Brenda Clough
June - 'Wonder' led by Trudy Scrumptious.

All the talk of Georgette Heyer set me off on a Georgette Heyer kick btw. With what's hapening in the world at the moment romances set in georgian England seem a pretty good escape

Just bumping this up a tad. Any more ideas out there. I've downloaded The Essex Serpent but it hasn't grabbed me so far, anyone else got any thoughts on it?

Posted by Not Too Bad (# 8770) on :

Just to clarify that June is The Wonder not Wonder?
I don't mind leading another month- what is the criteria?

Thanks for catching out I'd got the title of The Wonder wrong Not Too Bad. Corrected list below

February - 'The Rabbit Back Literary Society' led by Fineline now open
June - 'The Wonder' led by Trudy Scrumptious.

Leading the group for a month is pretty straightforward. Open a thread at the start of the month, and then post some qustions about the book on or around the 20th. Extra discussions about the author, links to interesting information about the book etc are welocme but not essential.
Do you have a book you fancy discussing?

I'm currently reading The Buried Giant and would lead on that if it's OK?

"The Buried Giant" is a book I've been intrigued by for awhile and would probably actually get around to reading if we were doing it for book club.

The Buried Giant sounds intriguing, and it would make me read Ishiguro an author I've never gotten to grips with (though I did once spot him in my local bookshop).
Would July suit you Not Too Bad, or would you prefer sometime a bit later in the year?

July is ideal for me yes! I am looking forward to it!

I'm glad July is good for you, Not Too Bad. Amended programme below:

February - 'The Rabbit Back Literary Society' led by Fineline now open
June - 'The Wonder' led by Trudy Scrumptious.
July - 'The Buried Giant' led by Not Too Bad.

Just bumping this up. Any more ideas for books to read?

I am grinding through a batch of books that I am sure nobody else wants to read. This includes Abode of Love, a memoir written by the granddaughter of the Agapemone guy who declared he was Jesus Christ. And a biography of a woman who joined the Mormons and moved to Salt Lake City in 1840. And Oneida: From Free Love Utopia to the Well-Set Table, a history of the New York utopian community. Essentially, anything about sex cults in the 19th century and I am in; suggestions welcome.

Mr Wroe's Virgins?

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I am grinding through a batch of books that I am sure nobody else wants to read. This includes Abode of Love, a memoir written by the granddaughter of the Agapemone guy who declared he was Jesus Christ. And a biography of a woman who joined the Mormons and moved to Salt Lake City in 1840. And Oneida: From Free Love Utopia to the Well-Set Table, a history of the New York utopian community. Essentially, anything about sex cults in the 19th century and I am in; suggestions welcome.

I have read 'Abode of love'. Its fascinating

Just bumping this up before it sails over the horizon. Keep those suggestions coming!

As I've mentioned on the Lost in a Good Book Thread I've just read 'The Wicked Boy' by Kate Summersclae and was wondering if anyone else would be interested in it as a book group pick?
Like all her books it combines detailed research with excellent writing and there are lots of themes in the book that I think would be worth exploring. What do you think?

I would be in on this. (Still writing a historical set in the 1870s, everything in period is grist to the mill)

Yes I find Kate Summerscale's (sorry I mangled her name above) books really good for giving me period detail for the Victorian stuff I write.

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
Yes I find Kate Summerscale's (sorry I mangled her name above) books really good for giving me period detail for the Victorian stuff I write.

(pricks up ears) What do you wrote? PM if you like.

So do people fancy The Wicked Boy? Another thought is The Poisonwood Bible that was mentioned on the general book thread recently. I'd never read it, though I remember my mother-in-law prasing it when it came out, so I thought I'd read it now. If we haven't discussed it already i think it would make a good Ship's Book Group choice.
Any other ideas - we could probably do with something light-hearted if anyone's got any ideas.

Any more ideas? As you can see we are beginning to run out of books!

The Programme at the monet
June - 'The Wonder' led by Trudy Scrumptious - Discussion now open
July - 'The Buried Giant' led by Not Too Bad - Coming along shortly.

I began The Wicked Boy but lost interest about midway through (the asylum was not v. interesting) and gave it back to the library.

I'm reading The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry. There's been a buzz about this book and I can see why.
Anyone else fancy this one?

I read The Essex Serpent earlier in the year to see what the fuss was about. Some interesting themes, but I wasn't altogether convinced. However it could be an interesting book group read. Could you lead it Tree Bee and if so when?
Sorry you gave up on The Wicked Boy, Brenda Clough,
the ending was very thought provoking.

quote:
I read The Essex Serpent earlier in the year to see what the fuss was about. Some interesting themes, but I wasn't altogether convinced. However it could be an interesting book group read. Could you lead it Tree Bee and if so when?

I could give it a go! Is September OK?

Tree Bee - September sounds ideal for The Essex Serpent. Anyone got any ideas for August?

quote:
Tree Bee - September sounds ideal for The Essex Serpent. Anyone got any ideas for August?

I'll put it on my calendar as I might forget. I've been rather out of the SOF book thread habit. [Ultra confused]

Thanks Tree Bee.

The programme now looks like this

June - 'The Wonder' led by Trudy Scrumptious - Discussion still open
July - 'The Buried Giant' - Thread now open. Anyone else ither than me joining in?
August -????????????
September - 'The Essex Serpent' led by Tree Bee

I'll have a think about August but other suggestions welcome.

There's one I've been thinking of leading: "Worldwalk", by Steven M. Newman.

From the GoodReads listing:

quote:
Worldwalk
by Steven M. Newman
4.2 Rating · 122 Ratings · 17 Reviews
At age 28, the author set out from Ohio to walk the world to prove to himself that there were good people throughout it. With no sponsorship, meager funds, and with luggage on his back, he spent four years traversing 20 countries on foot. Photos, maps, index.

It's a really good read, and reviews bear that out. I read it long ago, and still have my copy around, somewhere.

Poked around online, and it looks easy to obtain: Amazon from several countries, aLibris, Powell's, e-book formats.

I'm thinking maybe November?

Thank you for your suggestion Golden Key. it sounds a good read and a bit different from other things we've read lately.

Programme for the rest of the year
July - 'The Buried Giant' - Thread now open. Anyone else other than me joining in?
August -????????????
October -????????
November - 'Worldwalk' led by Golden Key

I was wondering about a children's classic for August. How do people feel about reading 'The Secret Garden'?
More suggestions welcome.

I would do THE SECRET GARDEN. It's the most popular Burnett today what with the musical and the TV dramatization -- would it be worth considering one of her other works? THE LOST PRINCE or THE SHUTTLE are probably available on Gutenberg, and A LITTLE PRINCESS is perennial.
But it'd have to be in Oct. I'm on travel all through September and my internet may be intermittent.

I'm for "Secret Garden", Sarasa. [Smile]

I'd be interested in reading The Essex Serpent, but that doesn't mean I'll actually read it in time to discuss it. (I've only just bought Wonder with The Essex Serpent)

Another suggestion for a summer read is something like Mary Stewart's My Brother Michael or another of her classics?

I've read Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, which left me unsatisfied on several counts, although the story did "reverberate in the mind" as the critics describe it. It also didn't encourage me to pick up another of his books, particularly not another set in England.

Secret Garden I've read enough times to be able to discuss without rereading it.

Thanks for the sugestion of Mary Stewart, Curiosity Killed. I really enjoyed her Merlin trilogy, which I read when it first came out, but don't think I've read much (if any) of her other.s Can I put you down for 'My Cousin Michael' in August?

Brenda Clough - I'll put you down for 'The Secret Garden' in October, but feel free to mention Burnett's other books in the discussion.

So the programme, tentively, looks like this for the next few months.

Programme for the rest of the year
July - 'The Buried Giant' - Thread now open.
August -'My Cousin Michael' led by Curiosity Killed(?)
October -'The Secret Garden' led by Brenda Clough

I knew I shouldn't have stuck my head above the parapet. I have added My Brother Michael to the Kindle as I'm not sure I've read it and will lead it in August.

(This is the second attempt to post this - I started then stopped to double check that it really is My Brother Michael

Thanks CK. I looked My Brother Michael up and if you get too busy I could probably lead it as it looks like my sort of book.

It's OK, I'll read it easily on the Tube.

I love Mary Stewart's non Merlin books, so will try to join in and read this next month.

Programme for the next few months

July - 'The Buried Giant' - Thread now open.
August -'My Cousin Michael' led by Curiosity Killed

Is it too early to be thinkings of a Christmas book (sorry for mentioning Christmas it in July)

Agh, I just read the POST review of The Essex Serpent and I may well have to read it.

Just bumping this up.

The plan for the rest of the year is as follows:

August -'My Cousin Michael' led by Curiosity Killed - Discussion now open

Any Christmas suggestions. I was wondering about 'The Thirteen Days of Christmas' by Jenny Overton. A children's book and a quick read. I very much enjoyed reading it in the 1970s and I'd be interested in what i think of it now.

Just bumping this up before it disappears over the horizon.

The programme for the rest of the year so far:
August -'My Cousin Michael' led by Curiosity Killed - Discussion now open

Any other suggestions for a December book? I've just read and enjoyed How to Stop Time by Matt Haig. A very romantic and life affirming novel, but not exactly a clear Christmas read, though I guess we don't have to have a Christmas themed book in December.

How to Stop Time looks interesting, I'd give it a go.
As one who tries to avoid the C word, I don't mind when I read it.

Posted by Marama (# 330) on :

I've just had a look at How to Stop Time on Amazon, and I'd be prepared to give it a go

Just bumping this up. The thread for the October choice The Secret Garden will be coming along shortly, in the meantime the September thread for The Essex Serpent is still open.
I've looked at when the paperback edition of Matt Haig's How to Stop Time is published and it isn't till the 27th December in the UK. I suggest we make that the choice for January 2018, which means we're still looking for something for December. I suggested The Thirteen Days of Christmas by Jenny Overton a few posts ago. A quick read and one I enjoyed when I read it forty odd years ago. Any thoughts on that, or any other suggestions?

Right, gosh! Let me start a topic.

The first of the month so I'm just bumping up this thread.

The programme for the rest of the year and the start of next looks like this:

October -'The Secret Garden' led by Brenda Clough - still open
November - 'Worldwalk' led by Golden Key - opening soon
December - ?

January 'How to Stop Time' by Matt Haig led by Sarasa.

As you can see nothing for December yet. If no one comes along with another suggestion I'll slot in Jenny Overton's 'Thirteen Days of Christmas'.

Posted by andras (# 2065) on :

Could we have one of the Barset books at some point (not necessarily in December)?

The Warden is quite short and starts the whole series off, so it might be a good place to kick off...

Probably you don't want to do a whole bunch of older works in a row. But at some point it would be great to do Precious Bane by Mary Webb.

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

Seconding Precious Bane. I have a love-hate relationship with Mary Webb and would like to see what others make of her.

Both The Warden and Precious Bane seem excellent sugestions. I'm sure I've read the former, and the later is one of those books I sort of know about having seen it on the shelves in various libraries that I've worked in, but I don't think I've ever read it. Would you lke to lead the discussions Andras and Brenda Clough - any prefered months next year?

Any more Christmas thoughts anyone?

quote:
Both The Warden and Precious Bane seem excellent sugestions. I'm sure I've read the former, and the later is one of those books I sort of know about having seen it on the shelves in various libraries that I've worked in, but I don't think I've ever read it. Would you lke to lead the discussions Andras and Brenda Clough - any prefered months next year?

Any more Christmas thoughts anyone?

I'd be happy to take The Warden - the earlier in the year the better, since I'm likely to be bogged down in proofs from March on.

What about Hogfather for December? Has it already been done?

I would be good in 2018 for Precious Bane. But I'm certain you want something more modern in there for variety. How about something completely different, like a Modesty Blaise novel?

I do love the Ship's bookgroup for introducing me to books I wouldn't have otherwise read and helping me find new authors and rediscover old ones.

What do people think about Hogfather for a Christmas read? It's been a while since we've had a Pratchett novel. Andras would you be happy to lead it?

Tentative programme for the start of 2018

January 'How to Stop Time' by Matt Haig - led by Sarasa
February 'The Warden' by Anthony Trollope - led by Andras (Is that OK too?)

Brenda Clough - I was thinking Precious Bane for a bit later in the year. I quite like the idea of Modesty Blaise or soemthing similar. What does everyone else think?

Keep those suggestions coming.

O'Donnell wrote a ton of Modesty books:
here's a list.
The paperback novels will be easier to get ahold of than the reprints of the newspaper strips. I suggest picking the best one of the novels and doing that. Does anyone have a favorite?

[ 02. November 2017, 13:11: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

I'd love to read Hogfather for December. It will make me read the copy that's here.

Ok, shall we go for Terry Pratchett's Hogfather for December? I'm happy to lead it, but also happy to stand down if someone who is more of a fan of Pratchett's work than I am is available to take it on.

quote:
Ok, shall we go for Terry Pratchett's Hogfather for December? I'm happy to lead it, but also happy to stand down if someone who is more of a fan of Pratchett's work than I am is available to take it on.

I'll look forward to joining in. The Good King Wenceslas episode (sort of!) is brilliant.

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

Great, I love Discworld and Hogfather was one of the best and perfect for Christmas.

HO HO HO

"Hogfather" would be great. [Smile]

Programme for the next few months:

December - 'Hogfather' by Terry Pratchett - led by Sarasa

January - 'How to Stop Time' by Matt Haig - led by Sarasa
February 'The Warden' by Anthony Trolope - led by Andras

For later in the year we have the suggestions from Brenda Clough of Mary Webb's Precious Bane and one of the Modesty Blaise novels. Any more suggestions for next year? I'll start a new 2018 thread towards the end of next month.

I'm not starting a new 2018 book group thread just yet as I assume everything is migrating to the new Ship sometime shortly. However if you are keen to get ahead with next year's reads here is the programme for the first two months.

January - 'How to Stop Time' by Matt Haig - led by Sarasa
February 'The Warden' by Anthony Trolope - led by Andras

More suggestions welcome. All welcoem to join in with suggestions or with the threads each month.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

And we bid a fond farewell to the 2017 Book Group!
jj
HH

© Ship of Fools 2016