Thread: Are you one of the six? If not, why not? Board: Heaven / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012903

Posted by Felafool (# 270) on :

Not sure where to post this.

Contributors to the discussion boards may or may not have noticed this banner on the 'preview post' box

quote:
Thank you for being one of the six registered users who uses the preview post function.
I would be fascinated to know if you are one of the 6.

If you have not seen this banner, does that mean you never or rarely preview your posts?

If so, why not?

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

I never post without previewing.

What, never?
No, never!
WHAT, NEVER?
Well . . . hardly ever!

[Biased]

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

I'v seen it! I've seen it! [Killing me]

This reminds me of the exchange in The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass between Frank Braddock and Mrs. Flushpool, quoted at the top of this page.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Sometimes I'm one of the many 6.

I preview my posts if I'm posting on a laptop or tablet more often than not, particularly if I've included a lot of coding or links.

I struggle to use preview post on my phone as it's often a recipe for losing a carefully coded post for ever. Which can be even more frustrating when just about to descend into the bowels of the earth.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Like Ck I perview if using code. Otherwise I just hit Add, and hope there's no typos.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Like Ck I perview if using code.

I hop that was deliberate.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

I Am One Of The Chosen Six.

[Angel]

IJ

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Like Ck I perview if using code.

I hop that was deliberate.
You callin' me a perv?

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Now I am six I'm as clever as clever and I wish to stay six for ever and ever.

(I didn't stay six. [Frown] 'twas my first prayer in young life dashed on the rocks of hokey and pokey)

[ 12. August 2017, 13:21: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Like Ck I perview if using code. Otherwise I just hit Add, and hope there's no typos.

Me too (except that I PREview). [Biased]

Posted by Bene Gesserit (# 14718) on :

I too am one of the six [Big Grin] . I think it's like The Sixteen where sixteen is true for a given value.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I never preview. Except when doing code and multiple quotes or something complex.

If my posts made sense, someone would think I had been hacked.

Posted by roybart (# 17357) on :

I preview. Somehow proof reading in 2 different typefaces helps. On the other hand, I still post typos and blocks of text I thought I had deleted.

There must be a flaw in the suftware.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

I make it a rule to preview. On those rare times I don't, I have inevitably messed up the UBB.

Posted by anoesis (# 14189) on :

I'm one of the six! (It looks as though it's getting to be like the famous one hundred and forty-four thousand beloved of the JW's). Another tier will be needed.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

I do preview but my mind sees what I want to have written so it seems to be of no help. [Waterworks]

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

I am One of the Six but only read what I meant to write.

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

I too am one of the virtuous six (most of the time) 'cos I like to get that little pat on the back.
But every time I say to my computer 'If only I could do my corrections on the preview panel instead of having to remember the errors and go back to the post to correct them.
GG

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

I fondly remember RuthW's

quote:
perview psot is my fiend

Posted by Urfshyne (# 17834) on :

Liars! I trusted you but have now found you out - there are more than six of us!

My name is Spartacus.

Are you quite sure?

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by roybart:
I preview. Somehow proof reading in 2 different typefaces helps.

The main edit window drives me mad. Changing the browser monotype from Times New Roman to Calibri helps a bit.
quote:

On the other hand, I still post typos and blocks of text I thought I had deleted.

There must be a flaw in the suftware.

Indeed. I find that happens to mine as well, bit the most maddening thing is when it takes my perfectly reasoned masterpieces and changes them to drivel.

Posted by Felafool (# 270) on :

Ha Ha!

As I thought , the 'special six' are legion. Just when I thought I had finally arrived somewhere.

As in those mailshots which tell you that you have been "specially selected" for an offer ...

(In passing, how can one be "ordinarily selected"?)

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
I am One of the Six but only read what I meant to write.

Mee two [Smile]

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

I almost always preview, but sometimes I hit 'Add reply' when I meant to hit 'Preview'

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Doh! [Frown]

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

I'm one of the six, and so's my wife!

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

I don't bother. As an admin I have the ability to edit my posts at any time, so I can totally abuse my power and correct typos, coding, grammar etc at will

[ 14. August 2017, 17:39: Message edited by: Spike ]

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
I almost always preview, but sometimes I hit 'Add reply' when I meant to hit 'Preview'

That's me, too!
I especially remember to be one of The Six when I'm helpfully fixing code as a Heavenly Host. It would be very bad (and horribly embarrassing) to find that I have hopelessly messed up another Shipmate's post! [Eek!]

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

I preview, but that doesn't mean that I spot all the errors in the original.
The ones I have missed are usually the first thing I see when the post is shown, and then there's a mad scramble, with fingers all turned to thumbs, to get it fixed by the deadline.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I preview to look for typos--and then leave the most interesting ones. [Two face]

Posted by Grec Man (# 18813) on :

I am one of the 6. But surely the number should have moved up after this discussion.

Ah, but that's one of the mysteries of the Ship, Grec Man! You can find many ways of looking at and defining 'six'! [Cool]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

2+2=5 for very large values of 2.

Moo

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

round these number to integers

2.4+2.3=4.7

and you will see Moo is right

Jengie

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

The infinite expanding universe of the six. 'Six for the six proud walkers.'

What I like is being told to go and wash my hands as a curious admonition after posting. It sounds comical, cathartic and demeaning all in one. The way my mother would say without acrimony,'Go and wash your mouth out with soap and never use language like that again.'

Then I read what I posted and suddenly notice the typos, missing commas and muddled thinking, and I have to wash my hands of it, nothing more can be done.

quote:
Originally posted by Grec Man:
I am one of the 6. But surely the number should have moved up after this discussion.

No, the definition of "sixness" is clearly fluid, on board the Ship if not on dry land.

[ 17. August 2017, 08:22: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Has anyone noticed this message recently? It now says:
quote:
Thank you for being one of the six (yes, really, there are only six) registered users who use the preview post function. Now check carefully before you post.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Somebody is messing with our heads [Paranoid]

Huia

Posted by Chelley (# 11322) on :

I am one of the six! ...But mainly because I hadn't posted for ages, especially code, or using a delightfully predictive text-able device. And I'm being a sixer this time to see if some other wit has appeared! ...No.

Hi Chelley! [Big Grin] I'm glad to see your sixness here in Heaven!

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Indeed, long time, no see, Chelley. Good to see you back today.

[ 24. August 2017, 04:19: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Posted by Chelley (# 11322) on :

Hello! And thanks to you both [Smile] it's nice to be here!

(Still chuckling again at the re-quote of RuthW: perview psot is my fiend... predictive text did NOT like writing that!)

Posted by Jemima the 9th (# 15106) on :

I'm one of the ever-expanding 6 too! [Paranoid] And yet I still miss typos all the time.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

For me, the main value of preview post is that I recognize and correct awkward phrasing. Somehow, seeing what I have written in "printed" form helps me see that I could have said things better.

Moo

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

When I preview regularly, all my posts are perfect. But the one time I don't preview, I make a huge mistake and it's there for all to see.

Ooooops.

Posted by Nenya (# 16427) on :

I've just seen that banner and have been basking in the glory of being one of the Six for all of three minutes. Now I've read this thread. [Roll Eyes]

I've never trusted numbers; even less so now.

Posted by Jemima the 9th (# 15106) on :

Now it's "maybe 7".. [Killing me] Magnificent.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

Love it! [Big Grin] I have just previewed a post!

Bagsie im number 7! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Bagsie im number 7! [Big Grin]

(Yes, I did preview post - but still didn't see the i'm [Razz] )

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Hmm. IMHO, 'seven-ness' is not only inferior to 'sixness', but also harder to say without getting tangled up with 'ns'...

[Disappointed]

IJ

© Ship of Fools 2016