Thread: Reading a Bible on the train... Board: Heaven / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012932

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Had quite an impact.

"Death is not the end" appears to have been the verse that set passengers racing off the train.

What other verses are best read in one's head, and not expressed to the public at large?

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Deuteronomy 13:12-15 might not go down too well:
"If you hear it said about one of the towns that the Lord your God is giving you to live in, that scoundrels from among you have gone out and led the inhabitants of the town astray, saying, ‘Let us go and worship other gods’, whom you have not known, then you shall inquire and make a thorough investigation. If the charge is established that such an abhorrent thing has been done among you, you shall put the inhabitants of that town to the sword, utterly destroying it and everything in it".

[ 03. October 2017, 07:39: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
[QB] Had quite an impact.

It's not April 1st is it? [Ultra confused]

Posted by Cathscats (# 17827) on :

I thought this story was both sad and worrying.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

It reflects the ignorance, prejudice and fears of many people.

Someone talking aloud to no-one in particular is seen as "odd" (unless, of course, they have a phone to their ear) and potentially dangerous.

Someone reading a religious book in public is a sign of dangerous radicalism.

An apparently deranged, radical, religious nutter then mentions the word "death" ... and we see what happens.

Posted by Scots lass (# 2699) on :

I've been on a London train where a man was shouting out Bible verses. I recognised them but was still really intimidated by it - he was basically shouting what seemed like random things at the train. When the story says "out loud", it doesn't account for the tone (or the volume!).

On a more Heavenly note (ish), I suspect that other unsuitable verses for reading out loud on the train would include Ezekiel 23. Imagine the horror!

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Hmm. Is 'death is not the end' an actual Bible verse? Bible Gateway doesn't seem to think so...

I wonder if, perhaps, the phrase was used by the man in question simply to conclude and underline his reading/preaching? IOW, it was a message of hope, not fear, albeit maybe badly expressed.

A sad reflection on the times, though, making it look as though the radical terrorists are winning.

[Disappointed]

IJ

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

My favourite verse for reading out of context, in a Christopher Lee type voice, is Revelation 2:12b-13a:
These are the words of the One who has the sharp, double-edged sword. I know where you live...

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

[Overused]

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

I used to have a colleague who always carried a Bible in his briefcase (he was a Jehovah's Witness). He was once afraid he was about to be mugged: the would-be muggers asked what was in the case, he told them about the Bible and took it out to show them, and they ran off in a panic!

© Ship of Fools 2016