Thread: Vivaldi "Gloria" Board: Heaven / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012959

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

A friend shared this recreation of the first performance of the Vivaldi "Gloria," and I am enchanted. It's a beautiful film, performed at original site, the Ospedale della Pietà, and the musical side turns some of our expectations on their heads. Take a look and a listen!

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
A friend shared this recreation of the first performance of the Vivaldi "Gloria," and I am enchanted. It's a beautiful film, performed at original site, the Ospedale della Pietà, and the musical side turns some of our expectations on their heads. Take a look and a listen!

I just listened to the first few minutes and look forward to the entire performance this afternoon. Thanks for posting that.
[Smile]

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Yes, I'll do the same (after luncheon, I think).

The performance lasts about 28 minutes, BTW, so have a favourite nibble and/or tipple (or several) handy.

Thanks, Rossweisse!

IJ

I'm quite smitten with it.

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

That is what I'd call soul-refreshing on a difficult grind of a Monday. Thanks, Rossweisse.

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

Wow! I think that is - by some way - the most inspiring performance of that piece I have heard. Highly sympathetic sound recording too.

(It's also the first time I have heard an all-female bass line).

Many thanks for the link Rossweisse.

It was my pleasure. It's good to be able to share something so positive once in a while.

[ 11. December 2017, 21:58: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

When I was 12 and starting at a new school, I was inserted into the choir- I was actually interested in being in band or theater, but the school didn't have a band, and by the time I was enrolled, there was only space in choir. The original plan was for the 6th grade choir to sing a few pieces on our own at the fall recital, and not participate in the finale performance of "Gloria." But there ended up being quite a few talented singers in that group, so after a week or two, we got handed the Vivaldi scores for a read-through, and did well enough to merit inclusion in the bigger choir.

And I've been hooked on choral singing ever since.

Looking forward to actually giving this a full watch, thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
...And I've been hooked on choral singing ever since. ...

When I was 8, my mother gave me a choice between joining the Girls' Choir or the Junior Daughters of the King at our church. I grabbed a hymnal, and have never looked back.

Singing in choir led me to my first career, in opera, which helped lead me to the second. I've made most of my good friends through singing. It helps keep my mind and body working together. And, as a member of a church choir, I will never starve.

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

I'm not normally a lover of choral music (how's that for the "Unpopular Opinions" thread?) but this was lovely. Thanks for sharing. I'm always glad when someone shares a piece of music that breaks down some of my prejudices against various genres and types of music.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

I'm afraid the Gloria is one of my least favourite pieces - probably because I've had to "do" it far too often and have heard far too many indifferent performances.

If you want something really special try the Magnificat by J S Bach.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

I did enjoy this. The "bass" line was a touch dry and light, but that's fair enough all things considered. Thanks for posting it. [Angel]

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

You should hear the bass line of the arrangement for male chorus that my group is singing this concert season! I won't name the arranger, but just let me say that had she turned in her manuscript as homework in her Music Theory 101 class she would have gotten an F-.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
You should hear the bass line of the arrangement for male chorus that my group is singing this concert season! I won't name the arranger, but just let me say that had she turned in her manuscript as homework in her Music Theory 101 class she would have gotten an F-.

I'll look forward to hearing that this evening! (Has the usual suspect written the program notes?)

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
(Has the usual suspect written the program notes?)

Yes.

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

L'organist wrote:
quote:
I'm afraid the Gloria is one of my least favourite pieces - probably because I've had to "do" it far too often and have heard far too many indifferent performances.

Sadly hard to avoid that one if you are over-exposed to it at all but the topmost levels - and possibly even then.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

My wife says the same about "Messiah".

Posted by wild haggis (# 15555) on :

Especially when murdered by amateur choirs with wobbly sopranos and altos who are failed sops. and can't get below middle C.

Once had a great recording with Emma Kirkby singing......still think the old Isobel Bailey recording was good.

There's so much good music out there, why do we have to hear the same pieces again and again - specially at Christmas and Easter.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
Originally posted by wild haggis:
Especially when murdered by amateur choirs with wobbly sopranos.

Well, they could get sticks to steady themselves - or sit on chairs. [Devil]

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by wild haggis:
... altos who are failed sops. and can't get below middle C ...

If you can't get below a middle C, you're not an alto. [Devil]

I love Vivaldi's Gloria. When I was in my last year at school, I joined the newly-formed St. Magnus Festival Chorus who were doing it, and I got roped in to singing the second soprano part in the duet when someone pulled out. This was rather daunting for an 18-year-old - singing along with a professional singer who was more than a touch up herself ("I'm not singing too loud for you, am I, dear?").

There was also the delightful distraction of the accompanist, a young English bloke who had just moved to Orkney to teach music and played the organ in the cathedral ...
[Axe murder]

Let's say it brings back fond memories. [Smile]

I love the Gloria, too. I first sang the "Laudamus te" duet in high school in my Soprano I days, moving (once I was correctly identified as a mezzo with a wide range) to the second part for several decades. It's just great music - overdone sometimes, in some places, perhaps, but great nevertheless.

Posted by Twangist (# 16208) on :

Viv's Gloria - happy memories

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I love the Gloria, too. I first sang the "Laudamus te" duet in high school in my Soprano I days, moving (once I was correctly identified as a mezzo with a wide range) to the second part for several decades. It's just great music - overdone sometimes, in some places, perhaps, but great nevertheless.

I wasn't going to brag, but in that rendition of Gloria I mentioned above, "Laudamus te" was sung by a 8-person semi-chorus, which included me in my Soprano I days. (Two years later, I was Bass 2. Finally settled out as a reliable G-G Baritone.)

Posted by Aravis (# 13824) on :

When I was 14 we joined with a choir and orchestra from another school to perform the Gloria (our choir couldn't have managed it alone). I was the only oboist in either school, so had to play the Domine Deus - a solo accompanied only by a cello and oboe, and extremely daunting when I'd only been learning the instrument for two and a half years, but it actually went fine.
Vivaldi's Gloria is the one work I feel I know inside out. I've sung alto in it, tenor I think, one of the soprano duets a couple of times, two alto solos, first oboe and solo in one performance and second oboe in another. And I also played the second violin part in rehearsals till the music teacher realised I'd have to play oboe as the other school hadn't got one.
Happy memories! [Smile]

© Ship of Fools 2016