Thread: Shipboard Memories Board: Heaven / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012963

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

It’s strange to think that the Ship as we know her is on the last few days of her last voyage, soon to draw alongside the shiny New Ship ready for us all to clamber aboard 🚢

What are your shipboard memories and hopes for the future?

Posted by sabine (# 3861) on :

I've been a Shippie since December 2002. I'm hoping that there will be a lot of laughter on the new Ship. Yes, I know, we live in serious times. But poking fun at ourselves, at religion, etc. is a balm for the soul, IMO.

eta: Inadvertently took my own advice and originally posted (via typo) that I had been a "hippie" since December 2002. I think it goes back way before that. [Big Grin]

sabine

[ 14. December 2017, 14:55: Message edited by: sabine ]

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I remember Small Fire. That is what brought me to the ship.

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

What are some features you would like to have on the new Ship?

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

I remember with mixed emotions the wonder thread we had on 9/11. [Tear]

The chat room could be hilarious at times.

sabine

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

The amazing sharing of vulnerabilities, and mutual upholding on some PBs.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Iron Chef Ship of Fools. It was lots of fun! I played an obnoxious drunk in the audience and had a great time kibitzing. Erin was in rare form. [Tear]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Lyda*Rose's post reminds me of that terrible time when we learned of Erin's death. But there was such an outpouring of love, of shared memories, of grief -- and we heard from so many Shippies who hadn't posted in years. It was amazing how the word spread. I believe her funeral was the only time the boards have gone dark, except for scheduled maintenance.

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

Among my fondest Shipboard memories are the times I got to actually meet Shipmates face-to-face. Some of them have become good friends in Real Life, including jedijudy (who, with wonderful kindness, looked in on my aunt in Fort Myers in her last illness), Lamb Chopped, Motherboard, and JB.

The best thing I did, though, was to trade email addresses with Margaret, with whom I was carrying on a PM correspondence. She has become one of the dearest friends I've ever had. We've written back and forth daily since; I've stayed with her and her husband twice, and traveled with her several times. Thank you, Ship!

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

The Nativity Play.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
The Nativity Play.

I read the Nativity play and Fields of Gold every year around Christmas.. Not both on the one night.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

I'm with Rossweisse, whom I consider a dear and lovely friend! Meeting other Shipmates has been such a joy, and convincing our friends and family that it's OK, we probably aren't going to be killed by axe murderers, is part of the fun!

The International Shipmeets, the little private ones in small restaurants, cafes and homes (here, Paris, Morecambe...so many, many places), staying with trusting Shipmates who had never seen me before; all these have been amazing experiences. I think having meals together is a perfect way to cement friendships.

One of the most fun was meeting Zandolit at a movie theater to see Star Wars, where she recognized me and my padawans immediately, because we were all wearing our Jedi robes! [Big Grin] She is a brave lady!

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

When I was preparing to move to California for grad school, Amazing Grace welcomed me into her home while out apartment-hunting. And then when I'd finally moved there, she put together a little party of Shipmates so I could meet the "No-Cal" group.

Now I'm back in Michigan, where, alas, Shippies are few and far between... I've met 2 and am facebook friends with another who I haven't met yet.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
The International Shipmeets, the little private ones in small restaurants, cafes and homes (here, Paris

Yay! [Big Grin]

The old café (where I first got on board), the Nativity Play and Erin's funeral in the "new" café all stand out. I printed out an entire record of the latter to PDF if anybody's interested.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

The original Ship, and the BCB (Board/Bored Colonial Brigade) who posted at odd (UK) times of day.

Ship-related weddings!

'Let's talk T'n'T' the temporary board for all things to do with sex (yes, really).

Which was followed by the merger of Small Fire and the Mystery Worship boards to become Eccles... hence I suggested it should be called 'Let's talk Tat and Tealights'.

The Ungodly Fear board, which was a healing experience for some and an eye-opener for others.

Shipmeets! Particularly the one in which Sean and Bronwyn met across an ocean and became Seanwyn @ pinkfluffycloud dot com. Which, as I remember, was also visited by a Motherboard in disguise.

And a Swansea girly Shipmeet where I inadvertently baptised Sven the Moose in a mug of tea.

Then there are the London Shipmeets, which featured several Shipmates who are now holding a table for us in the Everlasting Arms for the ultimate heavenly Shipmeet.

Staying with sad memories, much of 9/11 was spent in an internet cafe (we didn't have internet access at home then) periodically checking in on Shipmates and praying and grieving.

Then there was Miss Molly, and the way her contributions brightened our lives. I can't listen to 'Fields of Gold' without giving her a little wave. And the way many of us in different countries came together to make a quilt for her was a very special time indeed.

And of course the sad loss of Erin - only two weeks before, I had been flying over Jacksonville and had waved to her as instructed.

Turning to happier thoughts - the Ship's version of Eurovision, which produced some memorable parodies and the prophetic creation of Helmuth Alpenhorn and his Swiss Miss Belles, which came true (sort of) this year.

And so, so many thought provoking, creative and downright silly moments over the years.

The Ship is truly a unique place, and the new vessel will be a fitting home for its bizarre and wonderful crew.

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia

Mafia is the greatest game ever and we need to play it again once migration has occurred.

(Also, though I say so myself, I am quite good at it [Biased] )

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Memories?

The wonderful banter, the enthralling discussions (and differing POVs), the feeling of being upheld in prayer by folk one doesn't know, and will probably never meet IRL. And the privilege of being able to use sweary-words in Hell...

Hopes? That the new Ship's decks, cabins, companionways etc. will be as easy to navigate around as those of the present vessel!

IJ

I love being able to talk theology, and the fun we have in Heaven and Hell plus the company found in All Saints and the occasional foray into the circus.

I wonder if the boards will have the same names? Must pop to the Styx to ask ...

I hope there will be a board Ship blogging section with photos allowed. I loved that on COF - they sometimes baecame crazy discussions and were great fun too.

Looking forward to balancing along that gangplank! I may be in Germany when it happens so I may need a long one!

[Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Mafia

I thought you meant the Nashville Mafia for a moment there.

Posted by mr cheesy (# 3330) on :

I remember the first incarnation of CoF where someone made scz a warden. That was quite amusing.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

The Ungodly Fear board was very special, especially Harry, who had told terrible stories of growing up in a church where demons were suspected of lurking everywhere. He had an especially hard time because he was an intelligent child who asked questions.

As he vented and others listened and sympathized, he got past a lot of his bitterness.

Moo

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

The first H&A day. Was it celebrating Mousethief's 10000 post where we added Russian endings to our name? And Ken's, where we became Roundheads.

The random, lovely people I've met all over the place, although much less so now.

The realisation you can cry genuine tears and feel genuinely sad at the loss of someone you had never ever met.

I rarely post now (and never posted much anyway), and my reading has changed over time, but I still look in most weeks.

Posted by Erik (# 11406) on :

The ship has helped to significantly evolve my theology over the years (for the better I think). I am much more comfortable with the level of doubt and questioning in my spiritual life.

I also remember KenWritz posting the best ways to cook individual shipmates. There's always something new to learn on the ship.

Posted by Paul. (# 37) on :

Not sure this is a great thread for me. Just realised that most of my fondest memories of the Ship are over a decade old!

[Ultra confused]

I miss the cafe.

Curious Buddhist - what a weird episode that was!

Shipmeets, small or large, here or abroad. I've met Shipmates who live nearby as well as several in England. (Just met another Shipmate this past week.) Others I've never met in person, but feel that I know them. The Ship is an amazing international community.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Yes, shipmeets! Though they can be scary I’ve met wonderful shipmates in Canada, Australia, London and the Isle of Wight in addition to mini meets with Dormouse in MK.
My hope for the future is to meet many more, nary an axe murderer among them.

Yes Tree Bee. And some of us even recognised each other in the middle of the pedestrian crossing in Sydney.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Shipmates who have gone ashore: Comet, Duchess, Pax Romana, Sacristan, Sine Nomine, Ultraspike, and so many others. And who could forget the boy we loved to hate, the Shipboard Pest, dear Max.

Posted by Salicional (# 16461) on :

Dattaswami and his/her long, long essays about reincarnation.

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
The first H&A day. Was it celebrating Mousethief's 10000 post where we added Russian endings to our name? And Ken's, where we became Roundheads.

Erin's 10000 post. Yes there has been none like it.

Jengie

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

quote:
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia

"I like to stab people in their sleep. Nothing personal."

On 9/11 the ship was a huge blessing to me. I had been out early doing errands, and I had heard on the car radio that a plane had hit the twin towers. I assumed a small plane had accidentally hit the towers. Before I got home, I learned that it was much more than that.

I logged on the ship and spent all day there. It was much easier to handle the shock and distress with others who were reacting the same way. I'm not sure how I would have managed otherwise.

Moo

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

I hope that the new ship can accommodate Live Chat. I quite enjoyed (because of the time difference) chatting with UK shipmates between end of my work day and going to the pub. It became a regular feature to the point that Sioni Sais and others would tease about my "off to pub" farewells. I really enjoyed the Live Chat.

I have notice since my return from extended shore leave that the Ship has become more a bubble than it used to be. This hasn't inhibited my expression, but I recall more thrust-and-parry. Perhaps that is just nostalgia for a nonexistent past.

I miss many who have taken shore leave or gone to the Harbour Beyond, too many to list.

I have enjoyed Kerygmania and Ecclesiantics, where I contribute the least and learn the most.

Posted by Margaret (# 283) on :

I've learned a lot more about the weird (sometimes very weird) and wonderful variety of Christianity, and in particular I think I've gained a deeper understanding and appreciation of the Reformed tradition.

And some years ago there was a long discussion of autism and Asperger's, with a number of Aspie shipmates sharing their experience [Overused] which I found tremendously helpful and enlightening.

But going back to Ross's post upthread - yes, same here! Who would have thought that one of the major friendships of my life would have started on a discussion board? Grateful thanks to the Ship, and long may she sail!

Posted by TurquoiseTastic (# 8978) on :

Being totally schooled on theological points I had never even considered before. IngoB was the master of this, but I particularly remember a lesson from Psyduck about Apollinarianism.

Posted by TurquoiseTastic (# 8978) on :

oh, and EAT IT NOW...

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Other than a few local shipmeets, where I got to know the locals, I am most grateful to have the friendship of Smudgie who opened her heart and home to a nervous Canadian. [Axe murder] Which is not to forget all the other kind people (looking at you EnZed and Aus.) that I met during my 2011 Grand Tour, and the countless others I met in Canada England and Scotland. I will never forget Firenze gazing in horror at that iconic Canadian dish, poutine when she met with us in Ottawa. She was also a gracious host in Embra. And all the Cresswell clan.

Whoever and wherever, I raise a glass to all of you!

Posted by Jay-Emm (# 11411) on :

2 meetings (+1 successful meet at GB)

And one of the earliest posts being on the "be offended thread", where I was devastated by the overly harsh reaction. [brick wall] :missingpoint:

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

I discovered the Ship when there was a publicity row over Manchester Cathedral “un-inviting” Bishop Gene Robinson to speak (or something like that. The mists of time...). The Ship was the first Christian (TM) forum I’d found where you could say you were gay and the majority response would be “Meh”.

I’m still delighted by the wit and wisdom of many shipmates. I suppose I, too, remember the losses - principally, for me, Ken and Erin. Ken’s glorious rant-post about Bach which ended “WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO PAY ME YOU TIGHT SAXON BASTARDS?” is forever etched on my memory.

Posted by Oscar the Grouch (# 1916) on :

Posted by Cathscats (# 17827) on :

You all make me feel so young - in ship-life anyway.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

The news of Erin's death - someone I didn't know and was unlikely ever to meet. Total shock, and some tears 😥

Various Shipmeets - it's amazing how you can recognise shipmates when you're expecting them!some have become friends in real life - NSW, now ST, has put Lord P up on several occasions. Bird y'all children gave her friend heart failure in Abergavenny when they saw us a couple of weeks after a Shipmeets and started talking to us, total strangers as far as she was concerned!

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Meeting (and bell-ringing) with shipmates at Ken's funeral - an amazing event for an amazing man.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Quarter-peal ringing for St Simeons... I've still only rung that one quarter away from my home towser (htough that looks set to change as of New Years Eve - as does my one a year at most pace!

AG

(waves a sally at Qoheleth)

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

The story thread featuring a total diva hamster, a decapitated Joan Rivers, a naked mole rat and, as they say, a cast of thousands.

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

I've not been around so very long; lots of people, some still here, some not, come to mind. I really enjoyed the 8th-day 'poetry' extravaganza.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

I'm very glad the Ship's here: it's great getting to know people even without knowing them in RL; getting to know people's foibles: Zappa's hatred of cold weather (which he defines as anything under 25°C); Wodders' love of garlic.

The camaraderie I feel with the other inhabitants of All Saints can't adequately be described. I try and remember people on the prayer thread when I'm talking to the Almighty, and it's very comforting to think that if I've asked for prayers there are people sending them up all over the world on my behalf.

I hope the new Ship will carry on with these traditions for many years to come.

Posted by ChaliceGirl (# 13656) on :

Was a brand new Episcopalian when I joined in 2008. Found out another member attends a church in my city and we've met in person.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Adeodatus:
quote:
I’m still delighted by the wit and wisdom of many shipmates. I suppose I, too, remember the losses - principally, for me, Ken and Erin. Ken’s glorious rant-post about Bach which ended “WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO PAY ME YOU TIGHT SAXON BASTARDS?” is forever etched on my memory.
I printed that rant on Mozart vs Bach and pinned it to the bulletin board in our church choir room. One of my favorites. [Tear]

Posted by mrs whibley (# 4798) on :

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
oh, and EAT IT NOW...

Words which still come unbidden to my mind during Communion on occasion!

Another here who has lurked much more than posted, and deleted more posts than have made it onboard.

I've also learned a lot about theology, Christian diversity and also humanity here. And spent time laughing and crying at things my family wouldn't understand.

Some of my favourites were in the Agony Aunt threads, presided over by Left at the Altar and Sine Nomine, who always gave such sage advice.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
I really enjoyed the 8th-day 'poetry' extravaganza.

Well, thank you. I think it was a highlight too. But bloody hard work to keep up the requisite head of creative steam.

Posted by Aravis (# 13824) on :

Just over ten years ago I preached for the first time in a new parish, aware that there were at least three ship members in the congregation, but not which ones they were!

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

Not much opportunity for Shipmeets here, but on my one venture to Perf it was great to meet some of these strange people called Shippies when I was very new myself. And thanks to Uncle Pete who drew some of us together and I found I already knew one and have shared ideas and experiences with another. Uncle Pete is not the only one who's now among my Facebook friends.
It's been an eye-opener for a Progressive Presbyterian to learn what is so important theologically and liturgically to people who are at the opposite end of those spectrums (spectra?).
And I do enjoy those Mystery Worshippers. I wonder what one of them might make of one of my services!
From being one of the people who was comfortable with a computer back in pre-Ship days, in 1982, I've somewhere hit a ceiling and hope the New Ship will be as easy to navigate as this one.

GG

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Sarkycow's review of "Colditz", and the subsequent thread that arose, brought many a smile to my face.

The many meets I had around the world. And the dear people in Australia I got to know well.

Finding the Ship in a time of spiritual and personal tumult...and finding a safe haven for my wonderings. And being challenged. Often on a daily basis.

Oh... I remembered another as I walked the aisles of my local supermarket.

Green & Blacks. Never heard of it until it was mentioned here, by Erin iirc. Maya Gold was a firm favourite of mine, but it seems to have gone the way of the dodo here.

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

The yearly Quiz.

Lots of fun and guaranteed to cause a shit storm at times.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Meeting people from around the world as they came through Christchurch and also other NZ shippies. I remember LaTA asking if anyone in Christchurch would be willing to look after her children while she went to a wedding here. I volunteered and they were delightful. I still remember her young son learning over to me during SpongeBob Squarepants and saying apologetically "he's a bit rude."

Also the support from Shipmates during the Christchurch/Canterbury earthquakes. One of the most comforting things was asking for prayers late at night and then being able to sleep, knowing that there were people all around the world supporting me with prayer. When it felt as though there was nothing to hold onto I clung on to that.

Huia

Yes, Huia, that. When Miss M was first diagnosed with Leukaemia, I rathery timidly reported it here. For several years people were praying for her on every continent and in many different countries. I was overwhelmed by support.she has been in remission now for about a year, I think. Last week she won awards at school presentation night for her first year in high school. She not only missed an enormous amount of school through the illness but the school would let family know if there was an outbreak of gastro etc which she should avoid.

I am still so grateful as I was when my marriage broke up for support from near and far. That is ten years ago next week that I actually left.

[ 18. December 2017, 07:35: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

Well, so many years, so many memories.

The Nativity Play has to have been a favourite memory and I got the giggles last night at church singing "Highly Favoured Lady" and thinking "Highly flavoured gravy" as I have every year since then. It was a massive privilege playing Mary and I particularly liked the way my avatar gradually changed throughout the play.

Shipmeets. How could I ever forget hosting what was, in its time, the biggest shipmeet ever with 33 people sat on the floor in my lounge, especially the year we joined in watching the return of Doctor Who. Synchronised three-point-turns as we drove the wrong way (twice) to Blackgang Chine and doing the treasure hunt clues for the Wightmeeters. Meeting so many new friends that way, from so many different places, many of whom are now friends for life.

The cafe - especially the original Goringe cafe where I could zoom round the place on my skateboard and people periodically fell overboard and were greeted back again with a towel.

The amazing blessing of being sure of a friend to talk to in the cafe during the darker hours of difficult times.

Experiencing the loss of a true friend in Miss Molly and gaining so many other good friends.

Playing eternal games of Everlasting Sentences.

The Duckmeet - St Sims meet - the Family Meet - the Dublin meets - and a whole host of smaller meets which were a "normal" part of life for me and my boys but which were extremely hard to explain to those not in the know. Playing host to Tigglet and Soggy Amphibian during the Mad Tour and paddling with them in the November sea at the Needles with knotted handkerchiefs on our heads to fulfil a challenge - only to be swamped by an unexpected wave from behind.

Love, friendship, support, laughter, tears, prayers, challenge, debate = a massive part of my life.

Life has moved on and time commitments reduce my involvement in the Ship but the memories remain, together with an attachment and a prayer that others may find the same community and enrichment that I have benefited from here.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:

Green & Blacks. Never heard of it until it was mentioned here, by Erin iirc. Maya Gold was a firm favourite of mine, but it seems to have gone the way of the dodo here.

not at all, if you mean Shipboard. I just picked up some today, remembering Erin.

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

This thread was making me try to remember what first brought me to the Ship. I suddenly realized that it was Gadgets For God (and I assume it was around Christmastime). After amusing myself with the Gadgets, I then started lurking on the Boards for, oh, probably about a year before I decided to sign up.

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

Memory clicked too late: "12 Days of Kitschmas"--that's what it was called!

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
not at all, if you mean Shipboard. I just picked up some today, remembering Erin.

We haz Green and Blacks in Our Town?!?

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Yes'm.

I got them at Global Foods, though I've found them elsewhere (must remember where...)

quote:
Oh... I remembered another as I walked the aisles of my local supermarket.

Ian

The Australian Green and Blacks Website may help.

Jengie

[ 19. December 2017, 18:12: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

Posted by welsh dragon (# 3249) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
It’s strange to think that the Ship as we know her is on the last few days of her last voyage, soon to draw alongside the shiny New Ship ready for us all to clamber aboard 🚢

What are your shipboard memories and hopes for the future?

It was our 13th wedding anniversary yesterday (met on the Ship).

We thought of going out somewhere, but in the end spent our wedding anniversary trying to corral the toys filling our living room, courtesy of our 2 kids (I guess they owe a debt to the Ship too).

I will now have a more leisurely look through the thread , I apologise if it is full of similar stories.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

I hope she is more watertight than the new "Queen Elizabeth" - and cheaper.

Posted by MrsBeaky (# 17663) on :

I can't believe I've been on board this ship for almost 5 years ....and with such a high post count too... [Killing me]

I love this place and visit daily. I found the Ship when I did an internet search for a church my son-in-law was hoping would like to have him as their priest (they didn't!).
I read a Mystery Worshipper report on the church and then explored the Ship.

I was and remain drawn by the debating skills, breadth of experience, humour and humanity (warts and all) of Shipmates. You lot make me think. And pray.
I remember I chose to make my first post on quite a tricky topic- healing- and people were very kind.
Glad I found you. [Yipee]

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:

Oh no, I meant my-local-supermarket-here. The dark stuff is still there, mmmm, but when travelling I do pop into local supermarkets to see if they have any. Maybe I'll ask my local could they get it in for me: never thought of that.

I lay claim to having introduced Erin to Maya Gold! She said I was her dealer.

I remember the 9/11 attacks, where the ship was the best news source for what was happening. While Twitter probably does that for me these days, the ship often provides a larger echo box.

I also remember the playground, one of my threads, because of the incredible creativity that people showed on it. I mean, how do you actually play conkers on a message board? It is the creativity that so many shipmates have to use, subvert, and expand the form that always amazes me.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Calling God To Hell

Just one of the most honest, emotional, and goddamn Christian threads I’ve ever read.

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

The thread Marvin mentioned. One I read whenever I feel particularly hopeless, despairing or abandoned.

Calling God to Hell.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

quote:
posted by Ian Climacus:

If there is no problem sending chocorrit from the UK to Oz and you are happy to PM your address, I will happily send you some Maya Gold. Though leaving until it's not quite high summer may be sensible...

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
The thread Marvin mentioned. One I read whenever I feel particularly hopeless, despairing or abandoned.

Calling God to Hell.

It is strange to read that now. Some is inspiring, some literally makes me feel bottom of stomach sick. So much water has flowed under the hull since it and so many stories unfolded by posters on it over the years.

Jengie

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

We haven't had a San Francisco shipmeet in ages. Maybe in the New Year somebody will cook something up.

I remember a meet in a North Beach restaurant, where we dined under the gaze of Lawrence Ferlinghetti, painted on the wall behind us. It really looked like he was part of the party! AG, what was the name of that place? Was it the US Cafe?

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
We haven't had a San Francisco shipmeet in ages. Maybe in the New Year somebody will cook something up.

Early warning! I plan to visit SF next summer. Shall I give you advance warning so that you can plan a Shipmeet at a different time?

Actually, I had thought of mentioning this when the date gets closer. I'll wait for the new Ship.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Calling God To Hell

Just one of the most honest, emotional, and goddamn Christian threads I’ve ever read.

Thank you for the reminder. I've just re-read the thread. It's also reminded me of people who are no longer posting (for whatever reason) and how much I miss their contributions [Tear] [Votive]

Huia

Yes. I should have included Newman's Own in my earlier post about Shipmates sorely missed.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

My alarm when people change their profile pictures when I have grown sure that shipmates should I ever meet them in person will look just like the picture they use.

Thanksgiving for a larger world view in times of unrest. Comfort in not feeling alone. 9:11 being an example.

Ship has given me a better understanding of those who differ on a number of issues. So I can say the ship has made me more open and understanding of those with differing views on all sorts of subjects, political and religious. I think that is a good thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
My alarm when people change their profile pictures when I have grown sure that shipmates should I ever meet them in person will look just like the picture they use.

In which case I should change mine. Those are no longer my walking boots.

Jengie

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

Those are walking boots?! Ah OK I see it now .... just that in the past I have always interpreted your avatar as two Puritans (with big white collars) having a head to head argument! [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Those are walking boots?! Ah OK I see it now .... just that in the past I have always interpreted your avatar as two Puritans (with big white collars) having a head to head argument! [Hot and Hormonal]

Same here!

I wonder if we can persuade Lamb Chopped, Honest Ron Bacardi, and Anglican Brat to not all share the same avatar?

(Oh, and same here).

[ 22. December 2017, 11:41: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Gold Teeth, the phenomenon and the criticism thereof, that was the first discussion which endeared me to the Ship.
Soon after boarding, I met Starbelly in the Exeter bookshop where he worked at the time. He seemed quite normal (!) so I thought it would probably be safe to go to a Shipmeet, without being murdered. I even went to Bronwyn's house (which, I am told, you should NEVER do when meeting strangers), where I met Rowen from the other side of the world, and talked to Miss Molly on the telephone, on a completely different side of the world.

This is no ordinary church group, I thought, as I gradually got sucked into the vortex....

I was reflecting the other day on incidents which broke active participants on this board.

One example (appears to be) Scot. At one time (iirc) he was an Admin, but if you look at his recent posts it looks like there was a particularly notorious incident that made him hand in his keys.

Of course I don't know what happened behind the scenes and I wasn't around at the time.

But it does make me think about "absent friends" - both in terms of people who have died as well as those who have simply and abruptly stopped posting - over the years.

I think it is possible to underestimate the personal cost and trauma associated with various incidents.

I'm not saying there is anything to be done about, just mentioning it as I was reflecting.

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I even went to Bronwyn's house (which, I am told, you should NEVER do when meeting strangers...

Quite a few years ago I had already planned a party when I saw on the Ship that Ye Olde Motherboard and JB were going to be in town, and I broke all those internet safety rules and invited them. But I really felt I knew them from the Ship (this is back in the days of the Santa Fe Shipmeets). My house was full of people, and I assumed all would be well -- which, of course it was. They became good friends. (Miss Amanda was also at that party and met YOM and JB for the first time.)

Posted by Prester John (# 5502) on :

The Silent Acolyte and Beeswax Altar are two others whose contributions I've missed as well.

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I was reflecting the other day on incidents which broke active participants on this board.

One example (appears to be) Scot. At one time (iirc) he was an Admin, but if you look at his recent posts it looks like there was a particularly notorious incident that made him hand in his keys.

I think not, having checked Scot's recent posts. You will find out all that is relevant to the Ship if you read the threads the recent posts about that incident. Indeed probably all you need to know is in this OP by Rook. No we do not go there often although technically it was that incident in particular that prompted an earlier post on this thread by me.

What you are seeing with Scot and recent posts is down to the storage size of the ship. Those are the most recent posts that are still kept that you can see. I am pretty sure there are other more recent ones that have been deleted to keep the ship functioning. Scot's not unusual in that; thank God, most of the rubbish I have posted has been deleted as well. It happens to everyone who is around enough. The only difference is I am generating more new rubbish.

Jengie

I miss Laura.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

I've never been a great fast wit or tête-à-tête sort of a bloke so I've just tended to blunder around uttering inanities - nearly 19,000 of them it seems (though Gordon Cheng and a handful of his Sydney Anglican acolytes helped that post count no end [Snigger] ) yet I found some great friendships here, including two of my closest IRL friends (one long since planked by the authorities) and a whole catena of Perfians with whom I finally caught up this year. In some Very Dark Times™ in the last two years i have found some quiet, trustworthy support (especially amongst the Hosts, but I'm probably not supposed to mention that) - to the extent that I believe some of the love here warrants description as a life line.

I'm not sure to what extent I'll surface on the new tub. Maybe I will. I never really had the wit to keep up, but yeah, I have loved the friendships across the world that have evolved. It's been a while since I first tip toed, stilll under 52 posts, to a Byron Bay shipmeet with Rowen (at that time, temporarily, "The Lady Rowen"), Nutmeg, Left at the Altar and Nunc Dimittis.

Shipboard and IRL I've met some wonderful people through this site. For that I'm grateful. [Axe murder]

[ 23. December 2017, 06:02: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

I can't remember the details now, but there was a time when several of us were taken in by the story of a young woman who had supposedly (if I remember rightly) been involved in the Bosnian war, had been raped, was struggling...and finally died. Her (supposed) broken hearted partner then posted. Finally it was all revealed as a scam of some sort (is that what one calls trolling?)

I was taken in. I prayed for this young woman. Dammit, I think I even sent her flowers.

After it had been blown open, I remember thinking & hoping that the person who had effected such a scam learned something about the kindness of others towards those in need. Even if theyt actually weren't in need at all, really.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Was that Curious Buddhist? I came across Unicycle doing something similar a couple of years later.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

What you are seeing with Scot and recent posts is down to the storage size of the ship. Those are the most recent posts that are still kept that you can see. I am pretty sure there are other more recent ones that have been deleted to keep the ship functioning.

Oh yes, durr. I totally forgot about that.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

I came here because The Atheist on JREF thought I would enjoy the discussions here. He was certainly right. I'll never be a believer again of course [Smile] but I have learnt so much from everyone here.

Meeting some shipmates in earlier years on several occasions was definitely a pleasure, and I have those memories in an SofF compartment in my brain.

Before heart op I liked the fitness races, particularly because it didn't matter about winningm, it was self-improvement with added motivation. I still maintain a regular routine of exercise of course.
I also liked the anagram game when, for instance, Terry Pratchett is Three Tart Crypt!

[ 23. December 2017, 14:44: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I can't remember the details now, but there was a time when several of us were taken in by the story of a young woman who had supposedly (if I remember rightly) been involved in the Bosnian war, had been raped, was struggling...and finally died. Her (supposed) broken hearted partner then posted. Finally it was all revealed as a scam of some sort (is that what one calls trolling?)

I was taken in. I prayed for this young woman. Dammit, I think I even sent her flowers.

After it had been blown open, I remember thinking & hoping that the person who had effected such a scam learned something about the kindness of others towards those in need. Even if theyt actually weren't in need at all, really.

I remember that. It taught me a lot about trusting people on the internet.

There used to be frequent news of Shipmeets in All Saints, with photos to follow. I haven't seen photos of a Shipmeet in quite some time.

As one of the people who used to put up photos, I had a work contract listing social media contact that are not allowed, including being seen doing anything that might be a problem, which includes drinking alcohol in public. Work places check social media bow

I was also working mad hours and finding it much harder to take part in Shipmeets.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

The Ship has evidenty changed over time. I have the understanding that I joined up after a group of Founding Members had formed, become well-acquainted, formed community, and had begun to disperse. It was rather difficult actually at the start because there were some very dominant people who seemed to glory in their status, akin to Saints among us, halos apparently glowing. Which might have been a misread of intent, but the effect was clear. I continued here because we lost our church due to closure and was looking for an outlet. Then we had a family disaster at the hands of a criminal. Most responses here were helpful, but one shipmate in particular conducted themselves in the most despicable manner, to which I responded also despicably wanting to trounce her to oblivion and hell, and yet, was supported, and also advised. What I realized is that I could drop my filters, let my hair down, engage in both intellectual discourse and emotional blasts, and it was okay to do so here. Which is the main gift of the place which I derive.

The difference between on-line persona and real life? Quite a lot I think.

Maybe it's the sorry state of the world now, but I seem to remember a lot more laughter on the Ship back in the day. Well, more funny posts; the laughter may have been just mine.

Didn't St. Cuervo post an entire operetta?

sabine

[ 23. December 2017, 17:21: Message edited by: sabine ]

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Was that Curious Buddhist? I came across Unicycle doing something similar a couple of years later.

Curious Buddhist and Unicycle were one and the same person.

Jengie

quote:
Originally posted by sabine:

Didn't St. Cuervo post an entire operetta?

I don't remember an operetta, but he posted some hilarious parodies.

Moo

I have very fond memories of Heaven invading Hell and some of us put up chintz curtains there! [Angel]

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

quote:
quote:

Curious Buddhist and Unicycle were one and the same person.

Jengie

Yes, Curious Buddhist - that was "she". I seem to remember it was a very elaborate hoax with an additional blog as well, going into huge amounts of detail...
Well, I hope that some good came out of it somewhere along the line.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

quote:
Maybe it's the sorry state of the world now, but I seem to remember a lot more laughter on the Ship back in the day. Well, more funny posts; the laughter may have been just mine.

I agree. Before joining I lurked for a year or two and found the content more anarchic, alternative and yes, amusing to a large degree.

Along with other things, ISTM that changing laws re. Internet use and the realisation that VL offerings could have RL consequences may have started to dawn on folk. The infamous savile Hell thread was the point at which this particular neck decided to wind in.
Contributions, spontaneity, and intrigue around threads which followed unfolding news stories didn’t quite seem the same after that.

SofF is still an interesting place and one I wish well for the future.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
There used to be frequent news of Shipmeets in All Saints, with photos to follow. I haven't seen photos of a Shipmeet in quite some time.

We rarely seem to have shipmeets these days.

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

We do have shipmeets. Though nowadays they seem to be privately arranged by people who have already met. The last large shipmeets I attended were in Scotland and England in the spring of 2013.

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
quote:
posted by Ian Climacus:

If there is no problem sending chocorrit from the UK to Oz and you are happy to PM your address, I will happily send you some Maya Gold. Though leaving until it's not quite high summer may be sensible...
Thank you. So generous of you.

And thank you Jengie for the link.

I'll speak to the staff at my store and see if they can get it in... There is an independent grocer not too far away where I think it may exist too.

[ 31. December 2017, 02:28: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

quote:

I remember a meet in a North Beach restaurant, where we dined under the gaze of Lawrence Ferlinghetti, painted on the wall behind us. It really looked like he was part of the party! AG, what was the name of that place? Was it the US Cafe?

The first SF meet was in Ghirardelli Square. IIRC, we had lunch at a cafe, then went across the square to a Ghirardelli ice cream place for dessert. I think most of us had big sundaes. We found we periodically got (good) taste flashbacks afterwards; and some of us (Kelly, I, and maybe some others) have had a running joke about what drug might have been put in our sundaes!
[Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

We do have shipmeets. Though nowadays they seem to be privately arranged by people who have already met. The last large shipmeets I attended were in Scotland and England in the spring of 2013.
I certainly ended up at a de facto one in Perth recently - off the top of my head I can recall six shippies there

[ 31. December 2017, 08:08: Message edited by: Zappa ]

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
The first SF meet was in Ghirardelli Square. IIRC, we had lunch at a cafe, then went across the square to a Ghirardelli ice cream place for dessert. I think most of us had big sundaes. We found we periodically got (good) taste flashbacks afterwards; and some of us (Kelly, I, and maybe some others) have had a running joke about what drug might have been put in our sundaes!
[Smile]

Was that the one I was at, or was that later?

I remember having my first cherry cola at the cafe upstairs and loving it. So much so I recall us wondering if there was crack in it. The sundaes were delicious.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Oh, hell yes, the Cherry Coke and the Chocolate Chip Cookie sundae were competing for most addictive food item. But the sundaes, man— you could summon the taste by recall for days after. That was weird, though pleasant.

( I also remember poking around in the ice in my glass and muttering “ I lost my damn cherry,” which sent Madake off into gales of laughter.)

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Oh, and epic offense wars featuring lilbuddha and Ariston. Good times, camarades, good times.

Posted by Amorya (# 2652) on :

quote:

I'm heading over to Menlo Park at the end of Jan for work. I've got a free day on Sat 3 Feb (flight from SFO at 8pm, so I've got most of the day free)…

[ 31. December 2017, 11:11: Message edited by: Amorya ]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

quote:

sabine

Oh yes. Sine Nomine and Preslyterian once had a long faux-fight based on Victorian rules of etiquette that was Oscar Wilde level of wit. Balisarius would occasionally start fun threads like the one where we were invited to write short summaries of classic novels. Someone whose name I can't remember but a hog as an avatar was consistently funny.

It wasn't all epic calls to Hell, although I can get a bit nostalgic, even for them. Before there was Russ there was Father Gregory to unite the left in solidarity.

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Someone whose name I can't remember but a hog as an avatar was consistently funny.

Ham'n'Eggs, who once posted ASCII art in Hell.

Posted by Chelley (# 11322) on :

quote:
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia
Mafia

Mafia is the greatest game ever and we need to play it again once migration has occurred.

(Also, though I say so myself, I am quite good at it [Biased] )

Yes!

Posted by Chelley (# 11322) on :

The beloved edit window!
If you were watching closely you’ll have seen me try to edit the first post, mess up the quote doing so, try again but somehow add a new post, then delete that! And all just to add “I’m not” (any good at Mafia) but still love it. I thought it was going to end up as a host cry out “please fix my code”!

Hugal and I managed a cross-pond shipmeet when we visited NYC. Much laughter was had in Katz's Deli with Miss Amanda (under a different name back then), Nicole, Flounder, Belisarius (who kindly showed us to the subway afterwards) and others.

I still suspect that the initial nonplussed looks we received that evening were because some US Shipmates were assuming Gill was a male name (as in Gil) - and they knew that Hugal and I liked ballroom dancing, and Broadway shows... [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Hugal and I managed a cross-pond shipmeet when we visited NYC. Much laughter was had in Katz's Deli. . . . I still suspect that the initial nonplussed looks we received that evening were because some US Shipmates were assuming Gill was a male name . . . and I liked ballroom dancing, and Broadway shows... [Biased]

And dancing sailors on leave in Times Square, as I recall.

We had a meet in London, was it the Kelly Alves meet? linked to meets in Yorkshire (balaam) and America? through the café. Weren't we trying for 10 meets at once?

Last big formal meet I went to was in 2016, in Yorkshire. But I meet up with a few others every so often.

Posted by Quizmaster (# 1435) on :

Finding the link that was attached to a full stop (period). That kind of behaviour, although fun, was subsequently banned.

Unmasking male attitudes behind female names and vice versa, getting to understand the complexity of some personalities and talking down the worst extremists that joined the ship in the early days.

Making friends at the Surreal meet, Artists meet, Isle of Wight meet and other shipmeets.

Finding the only place I have ever found where honest opinions about church attitudes have been accepted and discussed.

Voting on which smileys to keep, add and remove forever. I miss that wobbling flower so much.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
I'm heading over to Menlo Park at the end of Jan for work. I've got a free day on Sat 3 Feb (flight from SFO at 8pm, so I've got most of the day free)…

I'm around, and not working that day.
Off to start a shipmeet thread.

Is it okay to ask "Whatever happened to...?" about Shipmates who haven't posted in a long time?

We quite often have had threads of that nature in All Saints.

Jengie

quote:
We quite often have had threads of that nature in All Saints.

Jengie

And it has ben known for the missed Shipmate to post on them.

Huia

Reading this thread has left me with those questions frequently.

Posted by Arleigh (# 5332) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
...It's been a while since I first tip toed, stilll under 52 posts, to a Byron Bay shipmeet with Rowen (at that time, temporarily, "The Lady Rowen"), Nutmeg, Left at the Altar and Nunc Dimittis.

[Tear]
♥Arleigh

QM!!! Long time no see! At least here!

One of my very fond, and proud, memories was actually winning the Knockout Quiz one year! [Big Grin]

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

I am attempting to post from my cellphone. I'm already aware my post about the new Star Wars movie was cut off. So, tell me, what Shipmates have sailed to the great Ship in the sky since I last was on here? I've been gone since 2015, I think. My computer died, was briefly resurrected, and then died again. I thought someone here said Comet died?! Noooooooo, tell me I read that incorrectly?!

Comet is still alive and well, but she seems to have gone ashore.

Posted by Salicional (# 16461) on :

I was wondering the same thing about LeRoc, who was a fairly prolific poster a while ago.

I've been wondering (most recently) about Sarkycow.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I've been wondering (most recently) about Sarkycow.

Last I heard was that she was forced ashore by a serious bout of "married with child".

That can be hard on one's online access. Thanks!

Posted by angelica37 (# 8478) on :

Haven't been here for so long I wasn't sure I could still log in. I was thinking of the Ship yesterday when talking with my daughter about the church she went to in Lincoln where she is now studying, trying to remember what questions were asked in the Mystery Worshipper reports. [Smile]

I remember a meet in Washington,D.C. (actually in Alexandria) in the summer of 2000. Shipmates present were Presleyterian, Arrietty, Motherboard, Mary Beth, and I. My daughter and Arrietty's husband and two sons were also there.

Moo

Posted by guinness girl (# 4391) on :

it was the T'n'T board that pulled me in long, long ago. As a young evangelical student, who'd only ever known other evangelicals, the Ship was a revelation to me. The diversity of opinion and theology! The wit and humour!

As other people have already observed, it's people more than topics/posts that stick in my mind. The witty and wise, the controversial, the kind and compassionate... too many to list. It has always shocked me how deeply I've felt the losses of those departed shipmates who were very real to me despite my having never met them irl.

I've been quiet in the last few years, mainly due to the demands of having young children, but I do still lurk and read. The Ship is very special to me and I'll definitely be climbing aboard the new Ship when she's ready.

Posted by Alex Cockell (# 7487) on :

quote:
We had a meet in London, was it the Kelly Alves meet? linked to meets in Yorkshire (balaam) and America? through the café. Weren't we trying for 10 meets at once?

Last big formal meet I went to was in 2016, in Yorkshire. But I meet up with a few others every so often.

Iirc, that was when I brought my old Linux loaded R61 along... 10 synced meets using the cafe between them...

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

The Northern English meet was in Newcastle, but it was my laptop that was used but Annie P typing.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

I was first drawn in by the gadgets for God -- I found a holy Elvis guitar that I had to join up in order to post. Been here ever since.

I too remember the curious buddhist incident. Josephine sent her flowers. What a bizarre thing.

Anybody else remember the mysteriously disappearing Moon Cup thread?

I remember Kenwritez explaining something via interpretive dance, but now for the life of me I can't remember what he was explaining.

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Comet is still alive and well, but she seems to have gone ashore.

She turns up occasionally in my FB feed. I have also spoken recently with jahlove, the bede's american successor (he was just here 1/1), chastmastr, and others.

Oh, and can't forget the ThomasDF incident, where my wife was temporarily crowned Queen of Hell (even acknowledged as such by RooK) because she tried to help him and he read it wrong.

[ 05. January 2018, 01:47: Message edited by: mousethief ]

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

I remember Kenwritez explaining something via interpretive dance, but now for the life of me I can't remember what he was explaining.

Try here.
[Smile]

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

The Knockout Quiz and other games drew me back in (i had dabbled in the older boards) when alerted to it by a friend (who is now my wife)

Various flavours of Mafia, trying to "host" a game of Cluedo, the Oscars Predictions, and more.
Why do we have to wait until the new boards to start another game of Mafia - why not start one now ?

Shipmeets, where "local" people you meet become friends - and in some cases, neighbours - and you get a chance to welcome international visitors

It's been a while since we had a Scottish shipmeet "just because" rather than someone visiting.

Then when you travel, you get the chance to be the "honoured guest", so thank you for the warm welcome I (we) have received in Florida, London and Melbourne.

I remember feeling priveleged to be invited to host, then panic of "i'll never manage" during the "training" and sinking stomach of the first Styx call for my actions.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

Has anyone heard anything from Ariel?

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

Ariel is alive and well and posting regularly on Facebook.

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
So, tell me, what Shipmates have sailed to the great Ship in the sky since I last was on here?

When we learn of shipmates' deaths, we post their names on the In Memoriam thread in Glory. There haven't been any additions in quite a while.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Ariel is alive and well and posting regularly on Facebook.

Can someone explain this sort of thing to me?

I'm not on Facebook but have occasionally been asked to peek in when someone wants me to look at their vacation or grandchild pics. As far as I've seen it's just a lot of selfies, or at best a personal blog of daily doings and recipes.

Are there places on Facebook where people can have the sort of discussion/argument we have here?

Obama recently told Prince Harry that one aspect of the internet he didn't like was the tendency people have to find like minded others and never be forced to think outside that box (Obama put it better.) Is Facebook more or less like that than the Ship?

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

You post your recipes or cat pictures or whatever on your FB feed. And your friends (whom you have Friended on FB) do the same. Endless commentary and chat can thus be generated. Everything does depend upon how many people you are connected to; clearly if it's just you and your dentist it's not so fun. It is a great tool to keep up with people (college friends, distant relatives, work associates from ten years ago, etc.) that you might otherwise not be in regular touch with. By exchanging a sentence a day, or a cat picture a week, with a person you can become quite good friends in a year.

SoF does have its own FB page, which is not very interesting and mainly a repository for mildly amusing memes.

[ 05. January 2018, 18:49: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

The trouble with the SOF Facebook page is that you don't know who anybody is, as Facebook uses real names, while we mostly know each other only by our Shipmate names!

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
... Facebook uses real names, while we mostly know each other only by our Shipmate names!

Very true - I've recently become FB friends with someone who I know must be a Shippie, because all our mutual friends are Shippies, but I don't know which one she is, and I'm a wee bit shy of sending her a PM to ask her.

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

Yes, I have that problem too -- I have a lot of Ship friends on Facebook but I'm not always sure I have their Ship and FB identities matched up correctly.

Twilight, it's my experience that some very interesting discussions happen on Facebook, usually in response to an article or other link that someone posts. People read, comment, argue. Sometimes someone just posts a question or provocative statement and that sparks discussion. In my experience the quality of conversation is not quite as high as in a debate in Purgatory here on the Ship, and without Hell to go to things do sometimes devolve into nastiness and name-calling, but if you have a diverse group of Facebook friends some very interesting conversations can happen there. There are also, of course, tons of private groups on Facebook which are much more like our boards. As others have said, the SoF FB group is not that lively (I suppose because we all do our mostly lively and interesting stuff here), but I belong to several interesting FB groups -- two quite lively ones for fans of authors whose work I like, where we discuss their books indepth, a couple of groups having to do with books and reading more generally, a group specific to my denomination for discussions around the issues of women in ministry and women's ordination, and lots more specific discussion groups.

So yes, there is some good conversation to be had on Facebook if you have a large enough circle of friends there and you find the site enjoyable enough to spend time on. Like everything, it's not for everyone.

I know I am FB Friends with shippies, who I know I have got to know through the ship, but cannot remember what their ship name is.

It is difficult. And it is especially so for those who don't want their real identity known.

Thanks Trudy, now I have a better understanding of it. I didn't see how it was possible to get a real discussion going so I couldn't imagine why anyone would abandon the ship for Facebook.

Now I can picture some of it more like my Norah Lofts group on Goodreads.

There are days when I would like to take my computer to the landfill and stay to watch it be bulldozed under, but the internet can also be so amazing. I've been able to find groups of other people who are interested in the same obscure things I'm obsessed over and ready to discuss it to death. Wonderful!

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Memories are made of Hell.

Especially when the thread has run its course but the posting carries on. The best laugh out loud threads have been Hell threads. The humour has been just how I like it, bitter, twisted and with more than a hint of blackness.

And it is more than just creative ideas of what one can do with a rusty farm implement, my vocabulary has been expanded by creative uses of expletives. Then there are the shipmeets where you get to know the really nice caring people who live in the hot regions of the site.

You have to put up with the threads which say <enter shipmate name here> is a <enter genital name here> to get to the good ones, and find the heart behind the heat, but it is there.

Let your true emotions show, it is part of being true to yourself, which Hell allows.

Hell is the heart of the Ship, the grease that keeps the rest of the boards going. My fondest memories are of Hell, and a tear comes to my eye as I remember Erin's Hell posting and her unique way of dealing with those who would troll.

[Overused]

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I know I am FB Friends with shippies, who I know I have got to know through the ship, but cannot remember what their ship name is.

It is difficult. And it is especially so for those who don't want their real identity known.

I deny all knowledge of you. And besides, I was drunk at the time. [Paranoid]

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

Facebook reminds me that seven years ago today we were in the cafe for Erin’s funeral.

Seven years???

I miss her contribution so much here. The early H&A days, the renamings, the plankings, the hell calls. The way she was just so *right*!

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
Facebook reminds me that seven years ago today we were in the cafe for Erin’s funeral.

Seven years???

I miss her contribution so much here. The early H&A days, the renamings, the plankings, the hell calls. The way she was just so *right*!

[Waterworks]

and, of course, [Votive] for Erin.

Can't believe it's seven years ago.

RIP Erin. [Votive]

[Votive]

I remember being absent from the ship for a while and coming back and hearing the news. I could scarcely believe it. I read the thread posted by her [brother? ; I should find it again] - a terribly sad event for us, but it reminded me what a wonderful community this is.

I remember a shudder of fear going through me each time I saw Erin had posted to a thread I had. Had I made an absolutely stupid statement and was torn apart by The Gator? I smile looking back at this - she was so much a part of what the Ship was and fought for it, but woe betide you if you were a fool.

Posted by guinness girl (# 4391) on :

I can hardly believe that was seven years ago. Good grief. I remember reading the news while up in the middle of the night with a tiny newborn, and feeling utterly blindsided by it. Erin is still sorely missed.

Seven years?!?

God bless Erin. May she rest in peace and rise in glory, snapping her gator jaws at whatever foolishness she encounters as she does so.

[Votive] (She hated the candle smiley.)

I think FWIW, that Erin would be proud of the way the boards have continued. There is still so much of her here (and there will continue to be in the new boards).

They are still, to my mind, Erins boards.

I'll miss seeing the UBB Practice Thread on the new Ship. I believe it's the only existing thread that was started by Erin, and I love that her name still shows up as the "Person to Blame." But I guess we won't be practicing UBB anymore.
[Tear]

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
I was wondering the same thing about LeRoc, who was a fairly prolific poster a while ago.

(Thank you CK for pointing me to this post.)

At some point 2 years ago, I decided to cut down on internet time, including the Ship. I may register for the new Ship, but I probably won't post much.

Posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger (# 8891) on :

I Joined so long ago, don't really post much.

Found such great support when I was going through a difficult time (some of you are on this thread - you helped more than you'll ever know).

Learned so much, had fun & laughter.

Long may it continue.

Posted by Emma Louise (# 3571) on :

*Waves* I've not been a regular on this board in forever but oh so many memories of that period of my life! I think it was a special time as online interaction was evolving.

I remember when the boards were paid for and lurking with mystery worshipper while I was still a student. Then meeting up with Internet People. One of the first I met was Welsh Dragon

I really miss the cafe - that was so much fun! And kept me sane when I was going through a rough period. A wonderful community. Scz and Alan were permanent fixtures when i first joined in the cafe.

I remember so many shipments- I organised a fair few - mainly in Winchester (and a few ii London- duck meet, palace...) and went to so so many in the early 2000s!!

The weekends away! St Sims! Wight meets! Meeting at Green belt. A wonderful trip to America.

The amazing honesty of the mix of faith and life. Proper reasoned intelligent discussion outside of the narrow paradigm of your own experience and faith group. I do miss that.

So many wonderful interactions with amazing people. Being part of so many people's lives. Working through life together.

It's been lovely to come back and reminisce. All the best for the new voyage ahead!

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:

The amazing honesty of the mix of faith and life. Proper reasoned intelligent discussion outside of the narrow paradigm of your own experience and faith group. I do miss that.

I think that could well sum it up for me ... [Axe murder]

Oh and of course the Ark, T n T was truly eye opening and educational to me, in fact so much of the ship was. And nativity and dating thread and calling to Hell and Erin and and and. So many more memories.

And also discovering people weren't always who they said they were - including a disastrous ship date! But also one fantastic one I married [Smile]

Conviny Euty in the cafe that women werent inferior!!

Oh I will stop now. But what a fun time it was.

quote:
Conviny Euty in the cafe that women werent inferior!!

I saw you'd posted on this thread and just knew you'd said that [Razz]

[ 11. January 2018, 21:17: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

quote:
Originally posted by Quizmaster:
I miss that wobbling flower so much.

QM, especially for you. And thanks for all the Goringe cafe fun.

Who remembers these Ship of Fools handbills?

side 1

side 2

When reading them, I'm surprised at how much has stayed the same, even though so much has changed!

quote:

Oh I will stop now.

... Don't fade away [Waterworks]

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
Who remembers these Ship of Fools handbills?

side 1

side 2

When reading them, I'm surprised at how much has stayed the same, even though so much has changed!

When Rev T and were looking for a church after we'd got married, one of them had that on the noticeboard.

We both figured if they liked the Ship that much, they were probably our sort of people so we stayed!

I went through a bad patch in life. Bad luck and disappointments for over a year. Everything I tried to do seemed to be tainted. I didn't talk about it much on the Ship, but the fact there was a Ship helped so much.

sabine

I may not post much these days, but the Ship is still very important to me. It is in fact pretty much the only element of my everyday life now that has been constant since 2002 when I came on board. Compared with then, I am now: living at a different address, in a different relationship (with a partner of a different sex), in different employment, belonging to a different church.....but still reading the Ship regularly!

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

Lots of fond memories from my early days (I joined in October 2002) - especially the Nativity, and getting to the final of the supremely silly Married by Ship of Fools, and the London shipmeets 2002-2005 (when I moved to Scotland).

Forever grateful that I met my husband here. It took a few years for online interaction and yearly "hello"s at Greenbelt to become anything more, but it was worth the wait [Smile]

I found the last church I attended in London for my last couple of years there through starting a 'recommend me a London church' thread in Ecclesiantics. I still think I should have taken that church with me when I moved.

I have made so many genuine and real and close friends here. Some of them I've even met.

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:

I have made so many genuine and real and close friends here. Some of them I've even met.

I remember meeting you on the Mad Tour. That was a very silly round Britain dash, organised by Quizmaster and attended by random Shipmates. A shipmeet on wheelz if you like. There were puzzles and challenges to do on the way, at Exeter we had to find pictures of various shipmates' avatars hung from trees. No idea what ordinary Exeter residents must have thought of it all...

Posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger (# 8891) on :

quote:
No idea what ordinary Exeter residents must have thought of it all...

Is there any such thing?

Posted by Curious (# 93) on :

It's years since I posted, but so many memories of the ship dating from its paper days and the early days when we paid to post.
Looking forward to returning more regularly.
Curious

[ 21. January 2018, 06:49: Message edited by: Curious ]

quote:
Originally posted by Curious:
It's years since I posted, but so many memories of the ship dating from its paper days and the early days when we paid to post.
Looking forward to returning more regularly.
Curious

I confess I did muddle you up with a Shipmate of a similar name. Unfortunate really.

Glad to have you back on board.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

I remember the St Sims meet, with a load of others, in those dim and distant years ago. A still-single Jack the Lass, and Alan Cresswell still a bachelor, Sarky unmarried. And Stu? I had no idea what to expect. Most embarrassing moment was jokingly asking Dyfrig 'if he was blind?!' because he was standing underneath a clock and asking for the time. 'Well, actually, I am.' he replied. Yep. That's me, getting it wrong since 2001!

I cringe to think of my earlier posting history; not that there's been much/any improvement. But as someone who works things out by speaking/writing through the issues, the Ship really helped a lot at times.

I was also an (unsuccessful) dating hopeful at Tigglet's Dinner Party. Nice evening with lovely people.

I miss Erin like stink, and sad to think of the others who were great and are now gone, either promoted to glory or gone ashore. Kenwritez made me cry with laughter. And The Coot was a very special gentleman.

There were times when the Ship was the best part of every day. And I appreciated the privilege of being a host.

I hope the new Ship has all the variety and diversity I remember attracted me here in the first place. I don't think we half know how much we really need each other.

© Ship of Fools 2016