Thread: I hate eggnogg Board: Heaven / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012964

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

What a stupid drink. Comes out every year at Xmas. Sprinkly spices on snought-consistecy foul tasting overly sweet and not improved by rum. Had me the rum and paint a fence with the snought.

And Do You Hear What I hear? Yes! The sound of the The Little Drummer Boy being eaten by wolves.

What do you hate about Xmas?

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

Have you tried Egg Nog Latte? The warm milk dilutes the taste a tad bit.

Never could understand the appeal of mulled wine, though, anyone willing to defend it?

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

Are you Posting While Drunk, np? [Disappointed]

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

Well, I don't like gin. Nor liqueurs. And, don't get me started on people who add anything other than water to a good malt whisky.

You know what? No one forces me to drink what I don't like, and there are plenty of good drinks I can have instead.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

I think he's posting at breakfast time, so he might well be hungover.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Presents.

Ever since turning 20 I’ve found presents disappointing.

I really enjoy giving them but would prefer to receive none.

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Well, I don't like gin. Nor liqueurs. And, don't get me started on people who add anything other than water to a good malt whisky.

You know what? No one forces me to drink what I don't like, and there are plenty of good drinks I can have instead.

Amen on all counts.

I do enjoy good eggnog - and dark fruitcake. To each her own.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Well, I don't like gin. Nor liqueurs.

Most are of the devil. A good chocolate liqueur being the exception.
quote:

And, don't get me started on people who add anything other than water to a good malt whisky.

Find me a good one and I might agree. Bourbon is the only whisky worth drinking.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Bourbon is the only whisky worth drinking.

I think you'll find that's a whiskey. A completely different thing.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Elvis Presley's "Blue Christmas"; Burl Ives' "Have A Holly Jolly Christmas"; any Christmas carol sung by a Country & Western singer; anything by John Rutter sung by anybody.

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Elvis Presley's "Blue Christmas"; Burl Ives' "Have A Holly Jolly Christmas"; any Christmas carol sung by a Country & Western singer; anything by John Rutter sung by anybody.

Rutter did write a couple of worthwhile things (whose titles escape me at the moment). They make his plastic commercial output all the more annoying, because they prove that he has the talent to do much better.

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

Ummm, eggnog. Rich vanilla creamy blend with extra richness added through egg and lovely nutmeg on top. I can do without the rum part but could turn up a quart carton of the cold dairy product.

I have plenty of other Christmas stuff to hate, though. Like Boogie, presents are usually things that require my best acting skills, only for me my disappointment began when I was about thirteen and all I got from my fairly well-to do parents was a plastic box of bobby pins and a hairbrush. Very grudging gifters they were, but they prepared me for my husband who once gave me a candy bar nestled in a brown paper bag. He had picked it up at the gas station on the way home.

It's all the "bring a dish," parties that I really hate. Sometimes I volunteer to have the party at my house and prepare the whole meal, rather than figure out what to take that others wont bring and how to transport it so that it's either hot or cold upon arrival.

Today I went to my book club party carrying a large heavy platter of carefully arranged fruit, a gift for exchange purposes, another gift for a special friend I would be seeing there, my own beverage, and my purse -- all in my left hand because my right one has my cane. I made three trips and my left arm is still sore.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

One of the things I hate is how people decide that they can't just avoid the particular Christmas thing that they dislike, they have to start completely inane conversations about it.

And it happens every fucking year.

[ 16. December 2017, 20:42: Message edited by: orfeo ]

That's because Christmas comes around every year.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

No, it's because people's reactions to Christmas are so utterly predictable.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Or illiterate. Snot. Consistency.

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

quote:

I always sensed that there was something about you that I loved. Now I know what it is. I'm always excited for Christmas because Santa always brings me a bottle of Blanton's. Can't wait!!

I was going to say that there was nothing about Christmas I hated, but on further review it is true that I hate, loathe and despise hearing multiple playings of "The Date Rape Song" (a/k/a "Baby, It's Cold Outside").

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

Here is my classic eggnog recipe. It is utterly pure and totally high-calorie, best suited for large groups. Drink it all yourself and your cardiologist is going to have a sharp word with you.

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

One of the things I hate is how people decide that they can't just avoid the particular Christmas thing that they dislike, they have to start completely inane conversations about it.

And it happens every fucking year.

Exactly, it's tradition, must happen each year, every much as as Baby Jesus under the tree Christmas morning, the Magi getting presents from Santa, and the shepherds washing their socks.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

And don't forget that Christmas is a time for children - a tradition started by Herod.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Hedgehog:
quote:
I was going to say that there was nothing about Christmas I hated, but on further review it is true that I hate, loathe and despise hearing multiple playings of "The Date Rape Song" (a/k/a "Baby, It's Cold Outside").
Ditto. And the gold digger song, "Santa Baby".

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Hearing "Winter Wonderland" over the public address system in the supermarket when it's 30c outside.

Actually that song is so awful I'd probably hate it even if it was snowing outside.

Huia [Mad]

Posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom (# 3434) on :

With you Huia: any Christmas song that mentions it being cold and snowy. It's 25 C here today and I've just walked up the hill to home - the only cold thing I want is out of the fridge.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Never could understand the appeal of mulled wine, though, anyone willing to defend it?

Mulled wine is delicious and wonderful. Eggnog is horrid.

quote:

[Overused]

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Here is my classic eggnog recipe. It is utterly pure and totally high-calorie, best suited for large groups. Drink it all yourself and your cardiologist is going to have a sharp word with you.

Thank you, Brenda. I need to figure out some smaller proportions, though.

Eggnog and mulled wine are both delicious and worthy of consumption, so far as I am concerned.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

quote:
Here is my classic eggnog recipe.

Words fail me. I didn't even bookmark it, because there's almost no chance I'll ever make it, but just reading the recipe makes me feel a bit lightheaded. I did appreciate the dwarf line.

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas.

I have no beef with Ms Carey particularly, but it seems to me that shops somehow sync themselves so you get to hear it in every shop you walk into.

With Huia and Arabella on the winter-themed songs...but I'll give In the Bleak Midwinter a pass.

Props to the local Garden Centre for playing choir-sung Christmas carols yesterday. Yes, I know it's Advent: but that's for a different board.

Ian,
lover of mulled-wine: so much so my current picture of myself at work in Outlook is a picture of glasses with mulled wine [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
quote:

I think you'll find that's a whiskey. A completely different thing.
My thoughts exactly, Alan. [Overused]

If I'm honest, the only thing I really don't like about Christmas is the schmaltzy American Christmas music (usually sung by Bing Crosby and/or the Hollywood Celestial Chorus) from which you can't escape when you're doing your Christmas shopping. I don't mind the odd Christmas pop song*, but like television, newspapers and bacon, it's something that IMHO is done better by the Brits.**

* Do they know it's Christmas?, Mull of Kintyre and Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody are my guilty pleasures. Sorry about that. [Hot and Hormonal]

** with the exception of There's No-one Quite like Grandma. [Projectile]

[ 17. December 2017, 03:06: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
And, don't get me started on people who add anything other than water to a good malt whisky.

Or who drown it.

Posted by simontoad (# 18096) on :

I can't drink bourbon anymore as one of my first binge-drinking experiences involved Southern Comfort. I'd love to be able to drink Wild Turkey, just for the Hunter S. Thompson associations, but I couldn't the last time I tried.

Whiskey I love. My favorite at present is Laphroaig, but I'm easy. My Dad loved Chivas Regal, a blended whiskey. My brother and I used to buy him bottles at every occasion. We thought he would drink them rather quickly but when he died Mum found quite a number in various spots around the house, unopened. We figure he put them down and forgot he had them - dementia you see. So our whiskey drinking has a special remembrance about it, at least when we crack a bottle of Chivas.

Christmas? Meh. Just the day before the Boxing Day Test and the Sydney to Hobart start.

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

quote:
Here is my classic eggnog recipe.

I remember helping to make eggnogg from scratch using a recipe very much like that, except that there must have been at least an extra bottle or two of booze in it (in addition to what the person in charge consumed in the process). It certainly wasn't the cardiologist who was going to be most concerned. My job was whipping the egg whites and then mixing it all together: I should have received hazard pay, as the fumes were quite potent and the froth on top was volatile.

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

quote:

The sad part is that many people think that eggnog is this store bought concoction of skim milk, gum thickener and artifical alcohol flavoring loaded with corn syrup. A proper recipe, as given above, provides a delicious drink which allows cream to be the major flavoring. (And it should not need vanilla).
THe sugar and alcohol keep the egg from going nad.

This is a drink that I've brought into the office beffore. The main thing is that people can only have small portions. Even hardened alcoholics aren't used to large portions of cream

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

There is no horror like the Christmas Shoes song.

A lot of Christmas music involves songs being butchered by contemporary artists. I remember attending a concert by the Canadian Tenors in which they thought it was a good idea to modernize Schubert's "Ave Maria". I still shudder from the memory.

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

TV adverts that say the price is "just" or "only"

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:

I have no beef with Ms Carey particularly, but it seems to me that shops somehow sync themselves so you get to hear it in every shop you walk into.

Which is quite daft, if you think about it. "I don't want a lot for Christmas .... All I want for Christmas is you", so nothing those shops are selling ...

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Whiskey I love. My favorite at present is Laphroaig

Though, Laphroaig is a whisky.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
quote:

Which is quite daft, if you think about it. "I don't want a lot for Christmas .... All I want for Christmas is you", so nothing those shops are selling ...
See, one has to ask the salesperson, "Is there any You in the back that hasn't been put on the shelves yet?"

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

quote:
quote:
Whiskey I love. My favorite at present is Laphroaig

Though, Laphroaig is a whisky.
Quit being pedantic and just give me the fuggin' drink, hic..

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
See, one has to ask the salesperson, "Is there any You in the back that hasn't been put on the shelves yet?"

And the salesperson comes back with something like this. (So many Christmas songs are about lambs, sheep, shepherds...)

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

Hostly Santa hat on

You're all too fluffy for Hell, so we're sending you to Heaven where you belong.

DT
HH

Hostly Santa hat off

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

quote:
I can't drink bourbon anymore as one of my first binge-drinking experiences involved Southern Comfort.

Not trying to be pedantic, but Southern Comfort is not a bourbon.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

I’d say that’s less pedantic than quibbling about e’s.

Has the Elf on the Shelf gone international yet? My wife heard that it’s fun, so we got one this year. It’s a elf doll that is supposed to be watching your kids and reporting back to Santa. Because he flies back to Santa every night, he has to be in a new hiding spot every morning, and it’s supposed to be fun for the kids to find him. Oh, and the kids can’t touch him or his magic goes away.

So far, the three year old hasn’t gotten that into it, beyond a little amazement when she first spots him in the morning. It’d probably be more fun if she had a sibling to argue with every morning over who found him first.

I don’t hate it per se, it’s just one more thing that I have to do after she goes to bed and before I can go to bed. Plus I flat out refuse to point at the elf if the kid is being a pain. And I’m dreading making up an explanation for why the magic didn’t really go away when she inevitably touches the fun doll that she’s not supposed to touch.

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Southern Comfort, whatever it is, is something even the devil pees out. PS - Eggnog makes me sick, as I was vividly reminded 15 days ago.

Not surprising, since you don't like the divine nectar that the gods have dubbed Southern Comfort.

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
quote:

The sad part is that many people think that eggnog is this store bought concoction of skim milk, gum thickener and artifical alcohol flavoring loaded with corn syrup. A proper recipe, as given above, provides a delicious drink which allows cream to be the major flavoring. (And it should not need vanilla).
THe sugar and alcohol keep the egg from going nad.

This is a drink that I've brought into the office beffore. The main thing is that people can only have small portions. Even hardened alcoholics aren't used to large portions of cream

Yes, that's why I cited it. If you taste this you will never drink the horrid chemical-y store stuff ever again.
The nutritional quality of real eggnog (milk, cream, eggs) made it a popular drink for workers. Laura Ingalls Wilder recalls in her children's novel Farmer Boy that the harvesters got a bucketful of eggnog, no liquor added of course, morning and afternoon. They probably needed the calorie boost to do all the physical labor.
The addition of liquor seems to be a more modern twist, and entirely admirable IMO.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

Hang on, this stuff is basically raw eggs in milk. I mean, stick it in a pastry case and cook it for goodness sake, but you drink it raw?

What is wrong with you people? [Projectile] [Projectile]

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Brenda Clough posted.
quote:
They probably needed the calorie boost to do all the physical labor.
Growing up in DC with Southern Mommy this is what we were
feed if sick. I remember liking it . Much better then the milk toast she also dished up to sick children.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

I like whisky, especially the nice peaty Island Malts and Irish - and yes, I know that's spelt differently - but don't drink it that often. But I don't even like diluting it with water. It should be drunk slowly, in small sips, and savoured.

Neither Bourbon nor Eggnog are much of a thing round here. Indeed, I've only drunk Bourbon once.

Mulled wine depends a bit on the recipe but in general I like it a lot. Cider also mulls well, and fifty years ago people used to warm beer by briefly plunging a hot poker into it. You have to be careful to make sure the poker doesn't touch the glass. I haven't seen it done for years.

A Christmas oddity here which some people like and some don't, though, is Ginger Wine. I rather like it. I also really like Baileys, but quite a lot of people don't.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Yes, that's why I cited it. If you taste this you will never drink the horrid chemical-y store stuff ever again.

I’m not sure I’ve ever had store-bought eggnog, because I know better than to buy it. I’ve had to drink homemade eggnog in order to be polite too many times. We have a good friend who gives us a bottle of homemade eggnog every year. My wife, who shares my feelings about eggnog, and I pray that someone who likes eggnog will come for a visit so that we don’t have to pour the whole thing down the drain. Hasn’t happened yet; down the drain it has all gone. Because that’s preferable to actually drinking it.

[Projectile]

Apparently the best scotch in the world is Japanese. Link.

Japanese Christmas oranges are from China these days. And Christmas trees are plastic and Boney M sings to little Jesus.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

Mulled wine depends a bit on the recipe but in general I like it a lot. Cider also mulls well, and fifty years ago people used to warm beer by briefly plunging a hot poker into it. You have to be careful to make sure the poker doesn't touch the glass. I haven't seen it done for years.

I have never seen it done either. Unless you have an open fire with pokers heating in them it doesn't sound very practical. There is, however, a tech solution. I am tell that a bar in New York City serves punch stirred with a hot poker. There is a plug-in electric poker you can buy for this exact purpose. Something like a curling iron, only hotter.

quote:
I have never seen it done either. Unless you have an open fire with pokers heating in them it doesn't sound very practical. There is, however, a tech solution. I am tell that a bar in New York City serves punch stirred with a hot poker. There is a plug-in electric poker you can buy for this exact purpose. Something like a curling iron, only hotter.

Brenda, I wasn't saying I hadn't seen it done. I was saying I hadn't seen it done since a long time ago.

Even today, pubs quite often have open fires in them.

Ah, that's the pond difference. Here, fires in restaurants are rare.

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

At university we had plug-in metal coils we used to boil water in mugs for instant coffee. That would work for mulling.

I haven't had Glühwein for ages. We made it with red wine (plonk), slices of an orange, sticks of cinnamon, a star anise, cloves and brown sugar. The wine brought to a simmer, not boiled.

That sounds about right, ML.

When we moved to Belfast we were told that a tradition had existed of the organist's wife providing mulled wine and mince pies for the lay-clerks after the last choir practice before Christmas, and reviving it would be a good idea.

The then Vicar Choral (who's now the Bishop of Cork) taught me how to make mulled wine - dissolve sugar in water with cinnamon, mixed spice and oranges and lemons stuck with cloves, then add a bottle or two of plonk and keep warm.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

I'm sure that keeping warm in winter is a good idea, whether in Belfast or Canada.

Posted by Fredegund (# 17952) on :

A word of warning if you use the poker - make sure it's a wood fire! Wood ash is rather nice. I pass over the effect of coal.

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

Captain Morgan has a new bold spiced rum that goes very well with eggnog.

I’ve decided maybe I should try eggnog but I need your help to decide [Smile]

I have been making smoking bishop for the holidays -- we're having some tonight at our Bible study. A mildly anti-Catholic name, but it's pure Charles Dickens, the beverage that Ebenezer Scrooge serves Bob Cratchit the day after Christmas, after he gives his clerk a promotion and a raise. It's essentially a winter sangria, red wine plus port plus citrus juice heated together with spices. People are happy to drink it if you tell them that it's from A Christmas Carol. It's not drinking, it's literature!

If there's interest I have a recipe.

[ 18. December 2017, 13:06: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

Sounds like mulled wine to me Brenda [Smile]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

I like fresh untreated spiced apple cider, heated and apple jack added.

Moo

quote:
I have been making smoking bishop ... It's essentially a winter sangria, red wine plus port plus citrus juice heated together with spices.

As opposed to Stinking Bishop, which is a very fine cheese. [Biased]

[ 18. December 2017, 14:10: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

" Hate" is a strong word. But here are things I dislike about Christmas, depending on my mood any given day:

- The culturally mandated American Christmas season, which begins shortly before Halloween and ends around noon on Dec. 25th. Any deviation from or criticism of this timetable marks you as a suspicious person, possibly even a Bad Hombre.

- Candied fruit peelings, otherwise known as garbage the rest of the year.;-)

- Gift shopping for anyone over the age of ten.

For the record, I like eggnog, even the fakey- fake store kind.

Saying that Jesus was born in a manger. A stable, maybe, but not the manger.

We had the most appalling sermon on Sunday, wherein the preacher told two anecdotes that contradicted each other. (He is the kind of sermonizer who deals only in anecdote and YouTube videos.) First we were assured that in ancient Bethlehem the custom was for new baby lambs to be wrapped in linen bands and stashed in mangers. No idea why (wouldn't feeding them be difficult?) but this was supposed to be an analogy to the infant Jesus.
The second anecdote was the one about the Montana sheep farm which saves the orphaned lambs by skinning a stillborn lamb and using the hide to trick the mother into adopting the orphan.
In other words, ewes either tolerate lambs being stashed in mangers, AND they're so picky they need to be tricked. Both of these things are true at once.
I was grievously tempted to send an email to the preacher and point this out, but am charitably going to refrain.

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Have the last two posters posted on the wrong thread (or what are they smoking?)

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Saying that Jesus was born in a manger. A stable, maybe, but not the manger.

But... but... I've not only seen THE Manger, I've seen TWO DIFFERENT ONES!
[Eek!]

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
" Hate" is a strong word. But here are things I dislike about Christmas, depending on my mood any given day:

- The culturally mandated American Christmas season, which begins shortly before Halloween and ends around noon on Dec. 25th. Any deviation from or criticism of this timetable marks you as a suspicious person, possibly even a Bad Hombre.

- Candied fruit peelings, otherwise known as garbage the rest of the year.;-)

- Gift shopping for anyone over the age of ten.

For the record, I like eggnog, even the fakey- fake store kind.

Over this side, Christmas goes on until Twelfth Night (Epiphany). Woe betide you if you take your Christmas decorations and tree down until then!

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Have the last two posters posted on the wrong thread (or what are they smoking?)

I understand the thread is about what we hate about Christmas (the titular eggnog being an example, although I love eggnog).

Dude, I wouldn't mind a smoke of a certain substance, although I haven't done it in years.

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I've not only seen THE Manger, I've seen TWO DIFFERENT ONES!

I was once at a Christmas eve midnight mass where the priest proffered a relic of the "True Manger" for veneration.

If that was a relic of the "True Manger" then I knew of a certain bridge in Brooklyn that was for sale.

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
... Over this side, Christmas goes on until Twelfth Night (Epiphany). Woe betide you if you take your Christmas decorations and tree down until then!

I knew people in Northern Ireland who would take their decorations down on Boxing Day.

Being Scottish, I think that's borderline heresy. [Devil]

Oh, I know plenty of Americans who do that, too.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

And across the UK. In many cases they've been up since November. People have it completely arse about face.

Our school term starts 2nd Jan. That totally screws anyone visiting family for New Year, doesn't it? It's still Christmas on 2nd Jan!

[ 23. December 2017, 08:28: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Christmas trees are unimportant, imported Prussian custom.

However 12th night is not the day the trimmings come down, it is the say they are added to. The magi should not be at the crib until then, and the house remains decorated until Candlemas.

No, we don't do that either.

Brenda, do you have that smoking bishop recipe?

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

If Brenda doesn't have it, I have recipes for:
all from the Christmas section of a National Trust book called Christmas and Festive Day Recipes - although my edition dates from 1981 and is a hardback.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
... It's still Christmas on 2nd Jan!

Absolutely. Being Scottish, I was always used to 2nd January being a public holiday, and in my 15 years in Northern Ireland I never quite got my head round the fact that it wasn't.

I was usually able to take extra time off work (where I worked was closed from Christmas Day to New Year's Day), and as D. had the Sunday after Christmas off, we usually went away as soon as we could after Boxing Day, but I remember one year when someone else in the office decided she wanted the time after New Year and I had to be back on the 2nd. Utterly barbaric. [Big Grin]

I need to move to Scotland!

24th here and hot. As much as I live glühwein it would not do today. I'm having watermelon and plums. [Help]

Had to duck into the supermarket and there came across the Christmas hoarders. Those people who fill their trolleys with endless groceries because, gasp, the supermarket is shut for one day. Always makes me smile.

Posted by wild haggis (# 15555) on :

Japanese whiskey!!!! EeeeeeeeeeeeK!

Don't like it, has to be a good single malt from Scotland, although in saying that some of the Welsh stuff from Pendaryn is good (but they have Scots people working in the dystillery there).

Egg nog. Yuck, yuck, triple yuck. My son says it's a good cure for a hang over!!! We don't have a tradition of egg nog in Scotland and my Welsh friends don't recognise it as a tradition either. It must belong to the English, I think. Is it related to the Dutch, 1970s drink Advocat?

Now what about a really good port? My favourite is Dona Antonia but difficult, if not impossible to get in Britain. Or gluwine the real German stuff - available at Lydl supermarkets.

Then if you want to be adventurous there are some fantastic Hungarian fruit spirits (not the Romanian ones - they are just fire water) such a plum brandy, apricot brandy (must be from Kesckamet) and pear brandy.

I love "Unicum" from Hungary, black, warming and herby. But it's an aquired taste and I don't think may people outside Hungary like it.

Happy Christmas (Nadolig Llawen in Welsh).
Raise a glass of whatever you fancy and enjoy it.

quote:
Had to duck into the supermarket and there came across the Christmas hoarders. Those people who fill their trolleys with endless groceries because, gasp, the supermarket is shut for one day. Always makes me smile.

This does puzzle me. People buy lots of stuff "because we're having 12 people for dinner on Christmas Day". Fair enough - so why are the other 11 also ramming their trolleys full? ISTM that the supermarkets ought to have FEWER people than usual shopping in the days before Christmas, albeit with each shopper buying MORE. But it doesn't work like that (sigh!).

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Being Scottish, I was always used to 2nd January being a public holiday.

Only since 1973, apparently (legislation enacted 1971).

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

quote:

24th here and hot. As much as I live glühwein it would not do today. I'm having watermelon and plums. [Help]

Egg nog ice cream is your friend.

Step 1: make egg nog.
Step 2: realize that egg nog is basically just a zabaglione. Zabaglione is "basically just" a base for gelato.
Step 3: get ice cream freezer out. Use.

The Southwest Florida eagles are due to hatch any minute now. I find that very Christmasy for some reason.

It is Christmas Eve and I've got the spirit, by golly! The house smells like cookies and some weird candy cane tea someone gave us. Our pitiful pile of presents are artfully arranged under the tree to our dog's sniffing delight. Kroger gave us some free poinsettias while we were there earlier and they look dandy on the hearth. We have a slight drifting of snow.

God bless ye merry eggnog haters!

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Christmas babies are always special! [Big Grin]
Hoping to have a baby eagle soon! And I just had eggnog so nobody else has to choke it down. [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by wild haggis:
... Egg nog. Yuck, yuck, triple yuck. My son says it's a good cure for a hang over!!! We don't have a tradition of egg nog in Scotland and my Welsh friends don't recognise it as a tradition either. It must belong to the English, I think. Is it related to the Dutch, 1970s drink Advocat? ...

No, we don't have it here either. Perhaps it is a North American drink originally designed to get round Prohibition.

On New Year's Day, when I started work, it wasn't a Bank Holiday in England. I can remember having to go into work when I did not feel at all like doing so.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
No, we don't have it here either. Perhaps it is a North American drink originally designed to get round Prohibition.

Nope. It started in the Mother Country, but spread widely in the North American colonies, due to the relative cheapness of the ingredients here. (And "eggnog with nog in it," as my father used to call it, was illegal during Prohibition.)

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
The Southwest Florida eagles are due to hatch any minute now.

We have two baby eagles! E-10 and E-11 have arrived!! [Big Grin]

I'm only now realising from Rossweisse's link that egg-nog is served cold.

I know it's sold in milk-cartons, chilled, but I always imagined you were supposed to heat it up before you drank it, which may have been what put me off, as the only way I like hot milk is as cocoa or hot chocolate.

I have a vague memory of Snowballs (fizzy advocaat) in my early drinking days, but I think I'd find it too sweet now.

The things you learn on the Ship! [Smile]

I think there's a vaguely eggnog-like beverage that's served warm, but I have never encountered it. That sounds just as well.

I too thought it a warm, or hot, beverage. I imagined people drinking it by a fire.

What an informative place!

And hurrah for eaglets.

You can drink it warm or cold (not hot, because then the egg will curdle). Eggnogs are cold; when it's hot the name changes to milk punch or some similar term.

Posted by georgiaboy (# 11294) on :

The traditional 'hot' eggnog is a 'Tom and Jerry' which IIRC is eggs, milk and rye or bourbon. It takes a skilled mixologist to make these without scrambling the eggs.

Thanks, georgiaboy. That was the name that I was seeking. (I think I was served a failed one once.)

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Hmmm...I think I'd rather have the scrambled eggs, sans alcohol, preferably on a toasted, fresh "everything"* bagel, with steamed hot cocoa and a good book. And a cozy place in which to curl up.

[Biased]

*Bagel baked with assorted seeds, onion flakes, etc. on top. Yummy!

Posted by Timothy the Obscure (# 292) on :

Recipe for a Tom & Jerry at the NYT...

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

This does puzzle me. People buy lots of stuff "because we're having 12 people for dinner on Christmas Day". Fair enough - so why are the other 11 also ramming their trolleys full? ISTM that the supermarkets ought to have FEWER people than usual shopping in the days before Christmas, albeit with each shopper buying MORE. But it doesn't work like that (sigh!).
My son works at Walmart -- thus he has his finger on the pulse of the nation. The Christmas frenzy begins the night of Thanksgiving when the Black Friday sales start for those who can't wait till it actually is Friday, and the shopping continues and then peaks on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day is the one day they're closed, but then, what he considers the worst day of the year is the December 26th. Returns

There are looong lines at the service desk for people who got gifts they didn't like or which didn't fit, all the registers have equally long lines made up of people who couldn't wait one day to spend the gift money or gift cards they got for Christmas, the people looking for end of season sales, the people buying cleaning supplies and storage tubs for their after Christmas purge, and those who forgot to get some essential food while buying the Christmas specialties -- you can't pour eggnog on the baby's cereal.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Re: eggnog

I think you'll find the origins of eggnog lie in posset and its association with Christmas is in the use of rich (enriched with egg) possets to alleviate colds and 'flu.

Although a sweetened posset might occasionally be served as a dessert in preference to a syllabub, it was never seen as any kind of alcoholic beverage, or as anything associated with some sort of celebration.

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I think there's a vaguely eggnog-like beverage that's served warm, but I have never encountered it. That sounds just as well.

I have once tries pre-made eggnogg, vile stuff. The stuff I make from egg, hot milk and brandy though is totally different and totally nice. Drink it hot. [Edit to add - AND SUGAR]

[ 29. December 2017, 13:46: Message edited by: balaam ]

© Ship of Fools 2016