Thread: How often do you clean your fridge? Board: Heaven / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012982

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan (on another thread):
(You also never see the back of their refrigerator, because there are so many random bottles of stuff that my dad used in one recipe and then never used again.)

In the old days, when frost-free refrigerators were a luxury and we had to "defrost", my mother would clean out the fridge at least once a month: take everything out, put pans of boiling water in the freezer compartment to melt the ice, scrub the insides and the shelves, then put everything back (except what could be thrown out).

So would I, until I moved into my first apartment that had a frost-free fridge.

Now I have it down to a ritual: I clean out the fridge twice each year: on New Year's Day and on the Fourth of July.

You?

Posted by sabine (# 3861) on :

Yeah, twice a year sounds like me.

But not the vegetable drawers. A real witch's brew can get up in there pretty darn fast.

sabine

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

I live a very spartan life and shun guests, so I tend to keep a reasonably clean and empty fridge. I had someone comment they wondered if I lived there. The vegetable/fruit drawer gets a clean after I store watermelon in there as once cut it drips. I rarely have jars go past their use by/best by date as I throw them out ruthlessly.

Unlike my parents who rejoiced in all manner of foodstuffs becoming scientific experiments when I visited last year; I found jars best before 2015. I took great pride in disposing of them.

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

My habit is to shop mostly on a daily basis, so generally little hangs around more than a few days except for a staggering selection of condiments (various mustards, mayonnaise, sambals, jams, vinegars, pickles, etc), so I've been able to get away with an annual comprehensive scrub.

Until.... last year, I noticed an ice accumulation in the fridge (not freezer) compartment. Odd, I thought. Then, one day, a noticed a small dribble of water from beneath the crisper. I removed the crisper drawer to find a swamp of opaque, milky sludge had accumulated. Horror. Everything out of the fridge, turned it off, scrubbed it immediately. I don't know what happened, but it happened again. Someone else is dealing with it now.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Crisper (salad) drawer: every time it get below a certain level and is about to be re-stocked. So at least once a week it is wiped out.

Once a month: all shelves, removable door compartments, etc, are removed and washed thoroughly. Interior is thoroughly washed down using a mixture of lemon juice, bicarbonate of soda and a tiny drop of laundry disinfectant in very hot water before being thoroughly dried with kitchen paper.

IME the worst culprits for depositing dirt are the bottom of milk cartons so I wipe these off before they are 'fridged.

As for the contents, nothing seems to hang around for long enough to go past a use-by date.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I do a bit of the fridge every day, so it works out that the whole fridge is cleaned once a week.

I have this method with cleaning the bathrooms too.

I clean a shelf or drawer of the fridge when I’ve had my morning coffee and the bathrooms when I’ve had my shower every day. That way neither is a chore to me.

Did I mention that I hate cleaning with a disproportionate passion?

My OH does all the shopping and cooking and I do the washing and cleaning so I can’t complain - but that doesn’t make me like it any better!

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

I never clean my fridge. That’s what a cleaner is for [Razz] .

Apart from a few condiments and jars, we actually manage to eat most of the contents of our fridge quite regularly. Skilled leftover recycling means we throw very little away.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I never clean my fridge. That’s what a cleaner is for [Razz] .

Apart from a few condiments and jars, we actually manage to eat most of the contents of our fridge quite regularly. Skilled leftover recycling means we throw very little away.

Likewise.

posted by Boogie
quote:
Did I mention that I hate cleaning with a disproportionate passion?
Me too.

I try to find ways of cleaning as I go, as it were, so that there is very little actual "cleaning time". The exception is always the oven which is always cleaned on Christmas Day (and at other times in the year as required, of course) and cleaning/de-scaling washing machines and dishwashers which takes place monthly.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I never clear the fridge. That what wives are for.

We rarely clean ours. Mainly after there has been an accident or an accidental defrost.

I doe he joy of defrosting our freezer, breaking off the chunks of ice. There is something quite pleasing in this.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Usually once a month. I keep cotton kitchen towels in the bottom of bins and toss them in laundry and replace with clean ones. The rest of frig gets a wipe down with soap and water. Once a week on friday I make frig soup. That is any veggies left from Monday shopping go into the stock pot.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I never clear the fridge. That what wives are for.

To which hospital would you like the flowers sent, SC? [Snigger]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
I keep cotton kitchen towels in the bottom of bins and toss them in laundry and replace with clean ones.

That's a dandy idea! I'll bet it keeps the food crisper, too, by absorbing excess moisture.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

quote:

I doe he joy of defrosting our freezer, breaking off the chunks of ice. There is something quite pleasing in this.

I managed to break a knife doing that. After stabbing the fridge lining so the fridge had to be replaced.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I live a very spartan life and shun guests, so I tend to keep a reasonably clean and empty fridge. I had someone comment they wondered if I lived there. The vegetable/fruit drawer gets a clean after I store watermelon in there as once cut it drips. I rarely have jars go past their use by/best by date as I throw them out ruthlessly.

Best Before dates are mostly a ruse to make you buy more stuff. I routinely use stuff months or years past its "best before". As a rule of thumb, something with a "best before" a few weeks past sale is good for months; something with a "best before" months after sale is good for years. The only thing I've noticed actually deteriorate after "best before" is crisps.

Posted by mr cheesy (# 3330) on :

We also shop on a regular (near daily) basis so there is little that stays in the fridge long enough to go off. The back has a few open jars of homemade jam which are just store there to make use of the space.

I didn't realise this regular-shopping behaviour was so common (I thought it was just me [Hot and Hormonal] ).

Another feature of our fridge is that it is awkward to open wide enough to get the drawer out, so it is only cleaned when it gets bad enough to notice and I can overcome the can't-be-bothered reflex.

We're gradually eating through last year's fruit I grew, when that's all gone I will have to defrost the freezer ready for the next one. I only do that once a year.

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
quote:

I managed to break a knife doing that. After stabbing the fridge lining so the fridge had to be replaced.
In the bad old days when I used to have to clean my own fridge, I was advised that the ultimate defrosting tool is a hot hairdryer. Works like magic.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

When we lived in West Africa, we had a fridge that could run on electricity or kerosene - useful as we didn't have electricity 24/7.

We would turn it off, open the doors and put bowls of boiling water into it. This, coupled with the hot weather, soon defrosted it. Afterwards, to get it cooled back down as quickly as possible , we sometimes lit the burner and connected it to the mains for a bit as well - it seemed to work!

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I didn't realise this regular-shopping behaviour was so common (I thought it was just me [Hot and Hormonal] ).

We do it too. Often we buy things on the bargain shelves which need to be used in a day or two (or we freeze them) - it saves a lot of money.

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
We do it too. Often we buy things on the bargain shelves which need to be used in a day or two (or we freeze them) - it saves a lot of money.

Yeah, me too. We used to buy almost everything from the reduced shelf, but since we moved that's not been quite so easy. But I've still continued the regular shopping pattern.

Well, by no means all the stuff on the reduced shelf is what we want to eat!

My wife is a dab hand at using up leftovers. We had a roast chicken on Sunday, she made African Chicken Yassa last night and there's still enough to freeze for another meal. And she's made some soup which we'll have at lunchtime.

We used to go to the shop and then cook whatever we could get hold of immediately afterwards.

We don't have leftovers - only exceptions are when I've deliberately cooked one meal for two days, for example stew as we are having today.

[ 17. January 2018, 08:18: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

We find that bigger joints taste better than little ones, so we deliberately get ones which can be roasted on Day 1 and used for stewing etc. on Day 2.

Ah. I don't roast joints, I don't like the smell. A few times a year I'll cook a chicken in the slow cooker and then freeze in bags to use later.

I suppose that's a form of leftovers in a way, although it is deliberate.

Exactly. [Smile] And, for instance, my wife always cooks Portuguese "bacalhau a braz" on Christmas Eve (we spent our first married Christmas in Lisbon), she always makes double and freezes half.

[ 17. January 2018, 08:36: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

What is this "reduced" of which you speak? In our place it is termed "distressed" - foodstuffs that are sad and in need of a good home.

I hadn't realised how ingrained the routine of going to the "distressed" section was until we were on holiday with friends and the children, having rushed ahead, came back (with trolley) and then dragged us all to the "distressed" section, bypassing everything else. Friends were a trifle taken aback!

Now that's a term I have never come across in regard to food. Aged gentlefolk, yes; and antique furniture - but not food!

I thought shrinkage was the retail description for it.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

The problem with the reduced section is exemplified by the lemon cheesecake (85p) currently sitting in the fridge.

On the fridge cleaning thing our fridge keeps very low temperatures so things very rarely go bad in the fridge. We clean the fridge... in all honesty probably when we move house.

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

If I have to play animal, vegetable, mineral with something out of the fridge, it has been Too Long...

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Now that's a term I have never come across in regard to food. Aged gentlefolk, yes; and antique furniture - but not food!

That brings back a memory! The Society for the Aid of Distressed Gentlefolk )or some similar name) used to advertise regularly in the broadsheet newspapers. I always wondered how you qualified!

Yes, that's what I was thinking of, too. Presumably, if you needed to ask about qualifications, that was a sure sign that you didn't qualify!

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Ah. I don't roast joints, I don't like the smell. A few times a year I'll cook a chicken in the slow cooker and then freeze in bags to use later.

I suppose that's a form of leftovers in a way, although it is deliberate.

Try oven bags - the meat browns well, keeps moist and flavoursome, and you can easily add a chopped onion or 2, a quartered lemon or whatever you like. Works very well also for the large pieces of turkey Madame buys at a farm sort of between her works and home. Being organic, old breed and free range, the meat can be a bit dry and stringy, but not when cooked in the bag.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

I cleaned my parents fridge while I was over there this morning ... I think it must have been years since it was last done! (Mum can't bend down now, and it doesn't occur to Dad that it is necessary) Found an opened jar of mint sauce lurking at the back with a 2009 date on it.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

I’ve taught myself to do a quick sweep of the fridge whenever I take out the trash. But some biological experiments do still get pushed to the back anyway, only to be discovered weeks later( like our friend’s dish of holiday lemon curd).

Big clean once a year; crispers more often.

© Ship of Fools 2016