Thread: Ship speculation Board: Heaven / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012989

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Here is a place for light hearted speculation about our imminent (ish) New Vessel.

[Smile]

I wonder if Captain Simon will keep his sinking ship avatar.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

I was just thinking about his avatar -- the only animated avatar on the Ship. I love it -- but I am SO grateful that no one else is allowed to have animated, flashing, bouncing avatars.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

Perhaps the hosts could have ship related avatars. A lifeboat for All Saints, or Grace Darling, or Air-Sea rescue vessels...

And Hell? Skull and crossbones, natch. [Two face]

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I was just thinking about his avatar -- the only animated avatar on the Ship. I love it -- but I am SO grateful that no one else is allowed to have animated, flashing, bouncing avatars.

RooK has had a flashing maple leaf in one of the Hosts and Admins days/weeks, and way back Jonah the Whales avatar used to blink. I cant remember any more.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Perhaps the hosts could have ship related avatars ...

Er, sort of no. I'm very fond of my little piglet avatar. If someone would like to build (or knit) him a little boat, or even a raft, that would be nice, but he's not going anywhere.

[Smile]

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Wrong pig. Do we have a Peppa here?

Or you can have a live one.

--

How long til the first person walks the shiny new plank?

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

There is so much talk on the ship about food and drink, surely the new ship must have a well stocked galley. I am requesting tea and gin if the quartermaster is preparing the provisions to set sail.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Tots of rum will be freely available, I hope.

I am astonished that Long John Silver has never appeared as an avatar - in "Treasure Island" he was in fact the ship's cook.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
There is so much talk on the ship about food and drink, surely the new ship must have a well stocked galley. I am requesting tea and gin if the quartermaster is preparing the provisions to set sail.

Gin is reserved for Hosts’ lounge. How else would we cope?

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:

Gin is reserved for Hosts’ lounge. How else would we cope?
We could share a shot of GIN with exceptionally well-behaved Shipmates on occasion!! [Two face]

I'd like to think that there'll be at least one fully-stocked bar, with GIN (different varieties for the more discerning) whisky (Highland Park, obviously, plus a few lesser brands* [Big Grin] ) and an endless supply of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and Argentinian Malbec.

The galley will indeed be well stocked and equipped, with plenty of lamb-shanks in the freezer.

* and some Johnnie Walker for cleaning the headlamps [Devil]

[ 28. January 2018, 15:17: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Ships have headlamps?

Posted by roybart (# 17357) on :

Don't leave out a sober lounge ... for those of us in recovery. We could share old war stories (a.k.a. "strength, experience, and hope"). I suspect the laughter coming from our room might surprise a few of you.

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Ships have headlamps?

Nope, but the new ship will need cargo lamps like these.

[ 29. January 2018, 01:22: Message edited by: balaam ]

My apologies - I didn't really consider what the lamps on ships were called. [Big Grin]

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

Anyone else thinking that the new ship will now launch couple of weeks from now, as Simon's Valentine's gift to the shipmates?

Posted by Curious (# 93) on :

I'm so glad I've managed to sneak back on board. I'm hoping for a decent Gin Bar, a chatty lounge, plenty of gossip, some flaming darts and the continence of a few that welcomes the programme and newbies alike.
Curious

I think it may launch on April Fool’s day 🙂 [Smile]

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

quote:
I think it may launch on April Fool’s day 🙂 [Smile]

Or Easter Sunday... [Angel]

St Simeon's Day?

Posted by Hugal (# 2734) on :

I am looking forward to the mobile version. That brings to mind a picture of Simon and the hosts on Strings spinning round above a cot/cradle.

quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
I am looking forward to the mobile version.

The whole point of a ship is that it is mobile. Who wants a static ship?

All the people who visit the Cutty Sark or HMS Belfast?

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

We are expecting that the new Ship will have as its masthead bikini-clad Simon dancing while he sings "Anchors Away".

Posted by Galilit (# 16470) on :

"Anchors aweigh", surely?!

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Well, this IS the Ship of Fools. Maybe we just frickin' want the anchor away. [Snigger]

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

Well, if the prep work goes on much longer, I WILL manage to hit 15,000 posts in this incarnation.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
"Anchors aweigh", surely?!

Oops!

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Well, if the prep work goes on much longer, I WILL manage to hit 15,000 posts in this incarnation.

I'm trying to get to 18,000, Ross. Only 32 more to go after this post, I think! I'll have to take a screenshot if I make it, since nobody will know on the New Ship.

Corraggio, JJ!

And to you, Ross! [Big Grin]

Grazie!

Prego (or ‘Oregon’ as my autocorrect would have it).

Wondering how many more I'll manage before the Rapture.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

Jacobson - I think 8000 (you next big milestone) might be a challenge.

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Prego (or ‘Oregon’ as my autocorrect would have it).

I'll say Oregon the next time instead of you're welcome! [Killing me] That should work!

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Not if I try really, really hard. [Snigger]

Wow - impressive increase Jacobson!

I understand that playing games in the Circus is a sure-fire quick post count builder.

Of course, so is posting one-word replies like "Grazie." (I will not comment on the weirdnesses of autocorrect.)

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I understand that playing games in the Circus is a sure-fire quick post count builder.

Of course, so is posting one-word replies like "Grazie." (I will not comment on the weirdnesses of autocorrect.)

Or you can post and delete, post and delete to your heart's content. But what's the point? Do we get a free Ship's mug or something when we reach certain post counts?

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Nope, free mugs do not come with certain post counts. Free mugs have been prizes for certain competitions.

(I feel guilty and/or embarrassed about my post count going up, in my mind I see it as evidence of too much time prevaricating on the Ship.)

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Nope, free mugs do not come with certain post counts. Free mugs have been prizes for certain competitions.

I do realize that, but I was wondering why raising one's post count is such a big deal for some people.

Oh, I just thought 15,000 would be a nice number on which to go out.

The word "challenge" does it for me.

When creating a series of posts on different threads, hitting the flood control will usually result in a longer post than originally intended, as now. Talk amongst yourselves.....

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

There will be a part of the Ship (The Ship's Hold?) which will be decorated to look exactly like the old Ship. So that people can go there and feel safe, warm and comfy, in the illusion that everything is exactly the same as it was in 1662, erm, I mean 2017.

And all quotations will be required to be from the KJB.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:

Not the Vulgate? Revisionist!

Posted by aliehs (# 18878) on :

Can't we quote from anywhere else?
Big Fan of King James Version personally, but there are many rooms in the mansion[ or ship in this case]. And there are other quotable sources if not necessarily with divine authority but I would have thought the saints were worth a mention from time to time.

Incidentally, I am pleased to see that every Anglican in Sydney isn't necessarily a Sydney Anglican. Thought I felt a schism coming on. [brick wall]

"In my Father's Ship there are many cabins"?

quote:

Given that most KJV supporters have never actually read the thing, that means I can make any quote I want, and claim it is from there. As long as it is in weird and elitist language.

quote:
quote:

Given that most KJV supporters have never actually read the thing, that means I can make any quote I want, and claim it is from there. As long as it is in weird and elitist language.
Most people cannot tell which quotations are from the KJV and which are from Shakespeare. I believe there are on-line quizzes, which many people fail miserably.

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

Put Shakespeare, BCP, Revised Version and KJV and I suspect few will be 100% accurate in getting the KJV. A lot of the older KJVers mean "the Bible of the church I attended in my youth" which they assume was the KJV and was often the RV.

Jengie

Posted by aliehs (# 18878) on :

It's the same with the Book of Common Prayer. I have lost track of the versions that I have encountered and used; the prayers I absorbed through osmosis in my childhood, are all changed , so I can't even say the Creed anymore without checking[ Nicene]. Or worse, the Lord's Prayer.
I have a BCP printed in 1806, wherein we pray for King George, Queen Charlotte, and Prince George, plus the rest of the Royal family.It also contains services for the celebration of the apprehension of Guy Fawkes, the Martyrdom of King Charles I, and the Restoration of Charles II.
I do miss using it .

If I don't read the Nicene Creed from the BCP, I will, unfailingly, say, "For the remission of sins." (Why would they get rid of a great word like "remission" but keep "trespasses" and "lead us not into temptation" in the Lord's Prayer?)

Or, we could add to the canon by having a Simpsons Bible. Would that improve accessibility? [Razz]

There's also the Pirate Creed.

[Overused]

I’ve challenged myself to reach 13,000 posts before we jump ship.

See you in the circus! [Razz]

I'm nearly at 8,000. It's quite fun dipping in and out of threads.

quote:

A challenge, yes, SC. But as you see, it is achieved. Time for a sustaining cup of coffee.

Something a little odd there - 8,000 on two posts?

Anyway, mission accomplished. Coffee.

Well done jacobsen!

We have a date - 28th February - woooohooo!

I’ll be at work at 5pm so I can’t be part of the initial rush. Probably a good thing, I get nervous in big crowds [Smile]

This is such good news!

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

When you come into the new digs on Wednesday you'll find that jedijudy and I have been getting things ready for you, and a lot of our familiar ongoing threads -- on books, movies, recipes, computer help, etc -- have been started anew on the new board, with links provided to the old discussion back here so you can check on what was said previously. We hope to make it a comfortable and Heavenly site for all our crew ... looking forward to seeing you in the New Heaven on Wednesday!

Will there be a new earth to go with the new heaven?

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Will there be a new earth to go with the new heaven?

Steady on: this is still Monday. We are living in the "now" (this week) but also the "not yet" (Wednesday 5pm).

As things stand, we are, as Barnabas62 so helpfully reminds us, in the Last Days.

Shouldn't we be putting on white robes, or disposing of all our household goods, or giving our pets to post-eschaton animal shelters, or something?

Let's adopt a suitable tone here, folks.

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
When you come into the new digs on Wednesday you'll find that jedijudy and I have been getting things ready for you, and a lot of our familiar ongoing threads -- on books, movies, recipes, computer help, etc -- have been started anew on the new board, with links provided to the old discussion back here so you can check on what was said previously. We hope to make it a comfortable and Heavenly site for all our crew ... looking forward to seeing you in the New Heaven on Wednesday!

Thank you 😊

Do they have the same titles or new ones?

[ 26. February 2018, 11:45: Message edited by: Boogie ]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

Shouldn't we be putting on white robes, or disposing of all our household goods, or giving our pets to post-eschaton animal shelters, or something?

So that's why I'm disposing of my household goods: it's all preparation for the eschaton. [Paranoid] Glad to have that cleared up.

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

Going on current form, the next day will see a frantic surge of activity with shipmates try to reach a pleasing number of posts which will start to decline as they reach it or give up. The result will be that it will look as if you have

1/100 chance of finishing posting with '000'
1/10 chance of finishing with '00'
and everyone will finish with a 0.

This will result in speculation in later centuries that Ship of Fools was a mathematical cult of Christianity that thought '0' was sacred so we always posted in lots of ten.

Jengie

quote:

They have the same titles! That way, there will be no confusion. Plus, Trudy and I hope the links to these threads here will be helpful to anyone who needs to check back on a previous query or response.

And we certainly want to keep those yummy recipes handy! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Going on current form, the next day will see a frantic surge of activity with shipmates try to reach a pleasing number of posts which will start to decline as they reach it or give up. The result will be that it will look as if you have

1/100 chance of finishing posting with '000'
1/10 chance of finishing with '00'
and everyone will finish with a 0.

This will result in speculation in later centuries that Ship of Fools was a mathematical cult of Christianity that thought '0' was sacred so we always posted in lots of ten.

Jengie

Somewhere, in one of the many threads about the new Ship, I thought we were told there wouldn't be post counts? Or did I dream that?

Mine's currently on 116 [Devil]

quote:

Hmmmm - a head start, however will mousetheif catch up? 🤔

quote:
quote:

Hmmmm - a head start, however will mousetheif catch up? 🤔
Give him about five minutes.
[Razz]

Another question... will flood control and editing time be the same as on the current Ship?

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:

They have the same titles! That way, there will be no confusion. Plus, Trudy and I hope the links to these threads here will be helpful to anyone who needs to check back on a previous query or response.

And we certainly want to keep those yummy recipes handy! [Big Grin]

To be honest I think I was briefly drunk with power and changed the title of the recipe thread to "What's Cooking?" But for the most part the titles should be either exactly the same, or similar enough that you will have no difficulty figuring out what's what.

Just over one day to go!

I’ve got my avatar and password ready, suitcases packed and all ready to be airlifted over in the luxury helicopter [Big Grin]

There's no need for the luxury helicopter, the new ship is moored up the jetty from where the crew are desperately trying to keep this old tub afloat for another day.

Ox carts are provided for the luggage.

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Another question... will flood control and editing time be the same as on the current Ship?

Yes, in the sense that these will be set to x and y minutes respectively, and it will take z minutes for somebody to complain about x and y in the Styx, where z < x or y.

© Ship of Fools 2016