Thread: 2016 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool Board: The Circus / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=002236

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

Right, here goes, then. The rules are pretty much the same as ever:

1. You must pick up to 13 well-known people who you think will shuffle off this mortal coil in 2016. That is, starting from 00.01 UTC (GMT, really) on January 1st 2016 and ending at 23.59 UTC on December 31st 2016, as determined by the United States Naval Observatory.

2. The definition of "well-known" is that their deaths will be reported by at least one major news outlet. Examples outlets include (but are not limited to) The Guardian, CNN, IMDB, Al Jezeera and the Church Times.

3. All selections must be real natural born people. No fictional characters, abstract entities or "corporate persons" will be accepted.

4. Points are awarded according to the following formula: 100 minus the celebrity's age at the time of death. For example, if the person you choose dies at the age of 67 you will earn 33 points. Should you pick someone who is 100 years old when they die you will receive no points; should your person be over 100 you will lose points.

5. You earn 50 bonus points if the death occurs in such a way as to clearly prove the existence of God (for example, if some doofus dies from burns after trying to torch a church) or in such a way that a Darwin Award is granted posthumously. Of course, by definition all Darwin Awards are granted posthumously.

6. You cannot choose anyone under the age of 18.

7. You can choose an inmate scheduled to be executed but you only earn points if the person dies by some means other than the state-sponsored execution. For example, a shiv in the stomach counts; lethal injection does not.

8. You are disqualified if you contribute in any way to the death of one of your chosen candidates. Exceptions will be made if you are a police officer or member of the armed services and kill someone in the line of duty.

9. All entries must be submitted on this thread no later than 23.59 UTC on December 31st 2015. No entries will be accepted after this time. No exceptions - you've got nearly a month, after all. You may make changes to your list up until this time but only if someone pops their clogs before the beginning of the year or if you've put someone in twice. Surprisingly this does sometimes happen.

There are also some bonus awards:
Inside Track with the Grim Reaper Award: given for picking the first death of 2016.
Quantity Not Quality Award: given for picking the most people who croak in 2016, regardless of their points value.
Sudden Death: given for picking the last death of 2015.
Why Does it Always Happen to Me: given to the person who changes the most 2015 picks who then die in 2016. To qualify for this award you must have entered lists for both years.

Because this has been running for a number of years there are several questions and complaints in people's minds which may or may not get said out loud so here's the disclaimer. This is only a game. The Ship, its management and their associated lackeys do not necessarily endorse the death any human being. One should not necessarily view this as a "wish list"; reviewing past years will show that truly evil and nasty dictators seem to have a habit of lingering while those figures we truly respect and admire often don't. The Circus is a place for games, not discussion of the rights or wrongs of those games; if you want to discuss the ethics of this one there are other places you can do that. Personally one of the things I like about this game is the positive things that are said about all manner of people who die, whether they are on someone's list or not.

There are no prizes although all winners will be entitled to place a bragging comment in their sig.

I will keep records through the year and will occasionally post scores and other interesting facts.

Good luck to all players and bad luck to your nominees!

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

As I am pointless [take it any way you want] I'll opt for the same as last year:

1. Rupert Murdoch.

2. General Than Shwe.

3. L K Advani.

4. Narendra Modi.

5. Newt Gingrich.

6. Jean Marie LePen.

7. Robert Mugabe.

8. Raj Thackeray.

9. Pat Robertson.

10. Elizabeth Windsor-Mountbatten

11. Mitt Romney.

12. Gerry Adams.

13. Philip Mountbatten.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

7 Elvis Presley

I think, officially, according to the rules of this game, he is already dead.

I believe, to enter this competition, he would have to be officially declared not dead first. But I am not the arbiter of acceptability.

The rules don't specify that all your choices must be alive at the start of the year and, indeed, the fact that one of them is already dead is the only grounds for making any changes. However, including a person in such a state does reduce your chances of success by the end of 2016.

Perhaps Doublethink is hoping that the various crackpot ideas that he isn't actually dead are correct but that he will emerge and die (again) next year. This is a high risk strategy and I do wonder if the potential gain of just nineteen points is worth that risk.

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Death comes to the Ship (Uncle Pete’s version)

The same list as last year, minus one (belatedly claimed on 2015 thread) I added the Last Trump.

HM The Queen
HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
The Right Hon. The Countess Mountbatten of Burma
Sir John Major
HH The Pope Emeritus
HH The Pope Francis
Dalai Lama
Robert Mugabe
Peter Mansbridge
Lloyd Robertson
Jean Chretien
George Herbert Walker Bush
Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
The rules don't specify that all your choices must be alive at the start of the year and, indeed, the fact that one of them is already dead is the only grounds for making any changes. However, including a person in such a state does reduce your chances of success by the end of 2016.

Perhaps Doublethink is hoping that the various crackpot ideas that he isn't actually dead are correct but that he will emerge and die (again) next year. This is a high risk strategy and I do wonder if the potential gain of just nineteen points is worth that risk.

I like to live on the edge.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

I'm ditching the theme and going for those I consider halfway likely.

1. Donald Trump
2. Robert Mugabe
3. Pete Doherty
4. Keith Richards
5. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
6. Khloe Kardashian
7. Alex Ferguson
8. Marcus Trescothick
9. Stephen Hawking
10. Silvio Berlusconi
11. George W Bush
12. Vladimir Putin
13. Paul Gascoigne

Posted by Baker (# 18458) on :

Hugh McElhenny
Anthony Hopkins
Avram Hershko
Sarah Miles
Alex Ferguson
Andy Summers
Ben Kingsley
Diane von Furstenberg
Pius Ncube
Tim Matheson
Burton Cummings
Rene Robert
Viktor Mikhailovich Afanasieyv

In case any of the above picks get nailed to the perch before 12/31/2015, I have alternates standing by.

Commentary, in order, for above

1)NFL player
2)“Well hello Clarice!” Arguably the best male English speaking actor
3)Israeli biochemist, Nobel laureate
4)She gave an inspired performance in Ryan's Daughter (1970) and appeared in The Servant.
5)Football manager who led Manchester United from 1986 to 2013, won the European cup twice, and became a knight in 1999.
6)Singer and guitarist with The Police and also has recorded more than ten solo albums.
7)He won a Best Actor Academy Award for his role in Gandhi in 1983.
8)International fashion designer, best known for her women’s wear and accessory lines.
9)Zimbabwean civil rights advocate, Roman Catholic archbishop
10)Actor who appeared in Animal House and provided voices for characters in TV's Johnny Quest.
11)Canadian lead singer of The Guess Who, credited with songs like "American Woman" and "These Eyes."
12)NHL player
13)Russian cosmonaut

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

Justin Beiber
George Carey
Jeremy Clarkson
Michael Douglas
Bruce Forsyth
Rolf Harris
Katie Hopkins
Barry Manilow
Robert Mugabe
Ennio Morricone
Paul McCartney
Anne Robinson
Harry Styles

Posted by Kittyville (# 16106) on :

Robert Mugabe
Bob Hawke
Paul Keating
Sister Wendy
Kirk Douglas
Zayn Malik
Bono
Recep Tayyip Erdogan
Ivan Milat
Joanna Lumley
Ken Livingstone
Peter Robinson
Gerry Adams

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

So, same baseball-themed list as last year, but substituting for the one correct name I had in 2015 (Yogi Berra, RIP). Birth years after the name.

1. Bobby Doerr (1918)
2. Red Schoendienst (1923)
3. Tommy Lasorda (1927)
4. Jim Bunning (1931)
5. Henry "Hank" Aaron (1934)
6. Bill Mazeroski (1936)
7. Brooks Robinson (1937)
8. Willie McCovey (1938)
9. Gaylord Perry (1938)
10. Steve "Lefty" Carlton (1944)
11. Rod Carew (1945)
12. Mike Schmidt (1949)
13. Cal Ripken, Jr. (1960)

The new name is Rod Carew. At the end of November it was announced that he needs a heart transplant. I am hoping that, by naming him, I can give him the kiss of life.

If, however, he should shuffle off this mortal coil before 2016 dawns, then my backup name will be Nolan Ryan (1947).

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

This year, I'm going for the Why Does it Always Happen to Me award, so am having a complete change. This year's kiss of life therefore goes to:

1. Jimmy Carter (former American president)
2. Harper Lee (author)
3. Vera Lynn (Forces' sweetheart)
4. Guy Martin (tv presenter and motorbike racer)
5. Jurgen Moltmann (theologian)
6. Prunella Scales (actress)
7. James Randi (former magician, professional debunker)
8. Baroness Trumpington (grumpy Conservative peer)
9. Max von Sydow (actor)
10. Jimmy Greaves (former footballer)
11. Desmond Tutu (owner of the most infectious laugh ever)
12. James Watson (co-discoverer of DNA)
13. Frank Williams (actor most famous as the vicar from Dad's Army)

<tangent> I have a soft spot for Baroness Trumpington - as I have said before not many people get offered a bath by a lady peer! She certainly is grumpy sometimes in public but she is a complete sweetie - despite her appalling political views. </tangent>

Sipech, on another board where I also play a Death Pool I have three of your names, Vera Lynn, Desmond Tutu, and Max von Sydow. I am firmly convinced that my choice of Lynn is what is keeping her alive.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

I'm one of those whose list has meant the kiss of life for all 13 on my list in 2015, so I may as well recycle it for 2016 too.

1. Robert Mugabe.
2. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
3. Prince Harry.
4. Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI.
5. Donald Trump.
6. Brad Pitt.
7. Sir Alex Ferguson.
8. Macaulay Culkin.
9. Robbie Shepherd (Scottish broadcasting legend - definitely hoping this is the kiss of life...)
10. Queen Elizabeth II.
11. Ion Iliescu (former president of Romania).
12. Anne Widdecombe.
13. Nigel Farage.

Posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger (# 8891) on :

Mine are all carried forward from last year:

1) Ringo Starr
2) Keith Richards
3) Rolf Harris
4) Pele
5) Baroness Trumpington
6) Bruce Forsyth
7) George H W Bush
8) Prince Phillip
9) Mark “The Undertaker” Calaway
10) Tracey Emin
11) Brian Matthew
12) Paul Gambaccini
13) Jimmy Tarbuck

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

After fewer points than Jemini, I'm going to change a few names.

1. Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
2. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
3. Salah Abdeslam
4. HRH The Prince of Wales
5. HRH The Duchess of Cornwall
6. Michael J Fox
7. Charlie Sheen
8. The Lord Howard of Lympne
9. The Lord Kinnock
10. Alex Salmond MSP
11. Muhammad Ali
12. Shia LaBoeuf
13. HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

OK, here goes with my usual mix of "kiss-of-life" and "why-isn't-he-dead-yet" - I'll leave you to decide which is which:

1. HM Queen Elizabeth II
2. HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
3. His Holiness Pope Francis
4. Robert Mugabe
5. Gerry Adams
6. Kim Jong-un
7. Dr. Francis Jackson (Organist Emeritus, York Minster)
8. Sir Bob Geldof
9. Michael J. Fox
10. Martina Navratilova
11. Pete Doherty
12. Justin Bieber
13. Lindsay Lohan

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Since my last year's list is perfectly unused, I shall roll it out again. These are the lucky ones, aren't they?

Lindsay Lohan
Dick Cheney
Muhammad Ali
Charlie Sheen
Valerie Harper
Aaron Hernandez
Justin Bieber
Rob Ford
Burt Reynolds
Margaret O'Brien
Frankie Muniz
Wilko Johnson
Sam Simon

Posted by Kyzyl (# 374) on :

1. HM The Queen
2. Prince Phillip
3. Jimmy Carter (yes, I know, good scan, but he's still 90 something)
4. George H. W. Bush
5. Donald Trump
6. Barack Obama (5 & 6 because my country has gone mad)
7. Desmond Tutu
8. Vladimir Putin
9. Michael J. Fox
10. Fidel Castro
11. Betty White
12. Harper Lee
13. Walter Mondale

[ 09. December 2015, 20:03: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

Haven't played this game for awhile but I've decided to try a novel approach this year:

1. Kim Kardashian
2. Kourtney Kardashian
3. Khloe Kardashian
4. Kris Jenner
5. Kylie Jenner
6. Kendall Jenner
7. Kris Jenner
8. Caitlyn Jenner
9. Kanye West
10. Rob Kardashian
11. Lamar Odom

Trudy you only have ten people on your list. You posted eleven names but Kris Jenner is a duplicate.

Ah, so I did. I didn't mean to imply that I expected her to die twice, or anything. There are, indeed, only ten unique names on the list. Those names all blur together after awhile.

[ 09. December 2015, 21:06: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
Ah, so I did. I didn't mean to imply that I expected her to die twice, or anything. There are, indeed, only ten unique names on the list. Those names all blur together after awhile.

You can also add another three names of people you really want to die this next year. Which is, I assume, the principle behind your list.

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:

You can also add another three names of people you really want to die this next year. Which is, I assume, the principle behind your list.
No, the rules say "up to" 13 and I'm fine with 10. I don't want to start adding people whose connection with the Kardashians is tenuous at best.

And I don't actually WANT them to die, though I'd love it if they all entered a religious order in which they had to take a vow of silence and a vow never to be photographed or appear on video again. I just thought clustering my picks around a single family might produce an interesting result -- increase the odds that one out of that clan might not see 2017 (Lamar is the likeliest choice, obviously, at this point). Of course if there was a katastrophe on the set of Keeping up with the Kardashians, imagine the points I'd make!!

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

A few changes:

1. Benedict, Pope Emeritus
2. Mamnoon Hussain
3. Valerie Harper
4. Fidel Castro
5. Rip Torn
6. Mary Tyler Moore
7. Bret Michaels
8. Stephen Hawking
9. Glen Campbell
10. Bashar al-Assad
11. Phil Lesh
12. Kim Jong-un
13. Fuad Masum

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Only one of mine croaked last year, so only one change.

Windsor Davies
Tommy Steel
Prince Philip
Barry Humphries
Caroline Aherne
Ken Dodd
Bruce Forsyth
Prince Charles
Nicholas Parsons
Lemmy
Billy Connolly
June Whitfield
Roy Hudd

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Given that I took a regular off who decided to spite me by carking it, and my reserve died as well, both giving me nul points as a result, I think I'm going to have to do a Uriel and trawl the news pages...

AG

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

1. Jimmy Carter

2. Prince Philip

3. Stephen Hawking

4. David Attenborough

5. Bruce Forsythe

6. Cliff Richard

7. Peter Alliss

8. John Madden

9. Norman Tebbitt

10. John Paul Stevens

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Given that I took a regular off who decided to spite me by carking it, and my reserve died as well, both giving me nul points as a result, I think I'm going to have to do a Uriel and trawl the news pages...

AG

That sort of dedication gives this game a bad name.

Posted by Cod (# 2643) on :

1. The Queen
2. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
3. Imran Khan
4. Jacob Zuma
5. Robert Mugabe
6. Joseph Kony
7. Lewis Hamilton
8. Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour
9. Abu Muslim al-Turkmani
10. Abu Ali al-Anbar
11. Paul Gascoigne
12. Colin Meads
13. Joseph Ratzinger

1. Billy Graham
2. Pope Emeritus Benedict
3. HM Queen Elizabeth II
4. Paul Gascoigne
5. Robert Mugabe
6. Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead)
7. Michael Crawford
8. Martin Landau
9. Prince Philip
10. Stephen Hawking
11. Dick Van Dyke
12. Bernard Cribbins
13. Bruce Forsyth

I think they are still all alive. I do seem to be very good at finding the resilient ones.

quote:

OI! I resemble that remark!

AG

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

The year I hoped that my list would give the kiss of life to people I liked was the year I won. I am really not sure it works as a tactic.

Posted by Pomona (# 17175) on :

I am not usually a denizen of The Circus, but...

1. Billy Graham
2. Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
3. Princess Michael of Kent
4. Olivia deHallivand
5. Nancy Reagan
6. Jonathan Rhys Meyers (played Henry VIII in The Tudors)
7. John Hurt
8. Caroline Aherne
9. George Michael
10. Prince Andrew
11. Alex Ferguson
12. Burt Bacharach
13. George Bush senior

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

Hmmm....need to replace one. Most of these people are getting up there.

1. Steve Guttenberg (bad actor)
2. Robert Mugabe
3. Burt Bacharach
4. Stephen Sondheim
5. Andre Previn
6. Duke of Edinburgh
7. Charles Aznavour
8. Shane MacGowan (Pogues front man)
9. Charles Taylor (Liberian bad dude)
10. James Spader
11. James Caan
12. Shane Warne
13. Edward Schreyer (former Governor General of Canada)

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

quote:
quote:

AG

That's actually not my favorite way of finding my people, but I think this game will be rather less fun if there are declared bad ways to play and good ones.

It was only a joke. A reflection on the fact that most people don't make huge efforts to find people they think will win.

People can play however they want.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Queen Elizabeth
Prince Phillip
Bruce Forsyth
Peter Sallis (Wallace)
Desmond Tutu
Kim Jong-un
Mohammed Ali
Elton John
Stephen Hawking
Billy Connolly
Billy Graham
Shirley Bassey

Some I'd be pleased to get points for, some I'd be sad to get points for

Posted by Light User (# 14254) on :

Rabbi Lionel Blue
Halaevalu Mata'aho 'Ahome'e (Tonga's Queen Mother)
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi,
Sister Wendy Beckett
Little Richard
Fr Lazarus El-Anthony (Coptic monk and anchorite)
Leonard Casley (Prince of Hutt River Province micro-nation)
Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Eric Lubbock, Lord Avebury
Chuck Blazer (Banned FIFA executive)
Howard Marks
Jakucho Setouchi (Japanese author & nun)
Jenny Diski

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

Brian Blessed
Val Kilmer
Robbie Coltrane
Clive James
Prunella Scales
John Hurt
Liz Dawn
Phil Spector
Paul Gascoigne
Nichelle Nichols
Rob Ford
Muhammed Ali
Billy Connolly

Posted by Surfing Madness (# 11087) on :

For the last few years, have only remembered about putting a list up on 1st Jan....this year have remembered earlier. Random, male heavy list from me.

Prince Philip
Justin Timberlake
Bear Grylls
Donald Trump
Jimmy Carter
Hugh Jackman
Nigel Garage
Pope Francis
Alex Salmond
Geoffrey Boycott
Willie Nelson
Mary Berry
Nigel Lawson

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

Last year’s lone casualty has been replaced. The others can ride because I’m too lazy to think of anyone else.

1. King Mswati III of Swaziland
2. Fidel Castro
3. Hosni Mubarak
4. Mullah Fazlullah
5. King Bhumibol of Thailand
6. Silvio Berlusconi
7. Than Shwe
8. Islam Karimov
9. Nursultan Nazarbayev
10. George Bush Snr

A few non-despotic picks:

11. Michael Douglas
12. Ben Jonson (Olympic cheat and famous anabolic steroid abuser - bad for the heart)
13. Peter Stringfellow (long shot - but I personally have a theory that he's dead already and just hasn't stopped moving about)

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Having drawn a blank this year I've replaced half of my names:

1 Coltrane, Robbie
2 Douglas, Michael
3 Fox, Michael J
4 Franklin, Aretha
5 Hallenga, Kristin
6 Jackson, Janet
7 James, Clive
8 John, Elton
9 Marks, Howard
10 Maynard, Bill
11 Minnelli , Liza
12 Robbins, Ted
13 Spector, Phil

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

1. Princess Alexandra
2. Muhammed Ali
3. President Assad
4. Johan Cruyff
5. Miley Cyrus
6. Paul Gascoigne
7. Stephen Hawking
8. Clive James
9. Nigella Lawson
10. Jamie Oliver
11. Vladimir Putin
12. Pope Benedict
13. Donald Trump

I had Lemmy on my list for 2016. What do I do now?

You nominate a replacement. I will replace him with Boy George.

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

quote:
All entries must be submitted on this thread no later than 23.59 UTC on December 31st 2015. No entries will be accepted after this time. No exceptions - you've got nearly a month, after all. You may make changes to your list up until this time but only if someone pops their clogs before the beginning of the year or if you've put someone in twice. Surprisingly this does sometimes happen.

well, I've gone for a bit of "half and half", replacing 6 of my regulars with someone else, tempted by the newer award.
In the end, this probably means I'm saving 19 people from death instead of just 13
I've included the names of the substitutions to make it easier to track:
1. Buzz Aldrin
2. Ursula Andress
3. Sir Stirling Moss (was Bernie Ecclestone, but I'm fed up giving him a kiss of life. He'll probably die in 2017 once I've removed him completely)
4. Ringo Starr (was Robert Downey Jr).
5. Lou Ferrigno
6. Aretha Franklin
7. Elliott Gould
8. Michael Crawford - "Oooh, Betty"- (was Shane McGowan)
9. Scott Glenn (was Gary Numan)
10. Rustie Lee (was Delia Smith)
11. Adam West
12. Paul Gadd - Gary Glitter - (was Roy Wood)
13. Stanley Baxter

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

quote:
All entries must be submitted on this thread no later than 23.59 UTC on December 31st 2015. No entries will be accepted after this time. No exceptions - you've got nearly a month, after all. You may make changes to your list up until this time but only if someone pops their clogs before the beginning of the year or if you've put someone in twice. Surprisingly this does sometimes happen.

Right then, so following the "two down, one to go" rule I'd like to swap Lemmy for Fast Eddie Clark

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Here are the people that I will be keeping alive by posting here:

1. HRH Philip Mountbatten, Duke of Edinburgh
  2. Sir Paul McCartney
  3. Sir Michael Philip (Mick) Jagger
  4. Angela Rippon OBE, journalist
  5. Ronald Balfour (Ronnie) Corbett CBE
  6. Antoine (Fats) Domino Jr
  7. Paul Hollywood, baker
  8. Colin Baker (former Time Lord)
  9. Robert Fripp
  10. John Major
  11. Bonnie Raitt
  12. Carrie Fisher
  13. Edwina Currie (Who said she would like to die bonking George Clooney)
Do I get extra points if Currie gets her wish?

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

Here are mine:

Paul Gascoigne
Diego Maradona
Lester Piggott
HRH Duke of Edinburgh
Stuart Hall
Bruce Forsyth
Brigitte Bardot
Angela Lansbury
Dick Van Dyke
Blake Fielder-Civil
Russell Brand
Lindsay Lohan
William Shatner

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Do I get extra points if Currie gets her wish?

Only if you get pictures....

I'd better put some picks in in time or I might look a tad foolish.

This year I am anticipating carnage among recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize.

1: Henry Kissinger (1973). For the 1973 Paris agreement intended to bring about a cease-fire in the Vietnam war and a withdrawal of the American forces.

2: Betty Williams (1976). Founder of the Northern Ireland Peace Movement (later renamed Community of Peace People).

3: Mairead MaGuire (1976). Founder of the Northern Ireland Peace Movement (later renamed Community of Peace People). At the time she was known as Mairead Corrigan.

4: Adolfo Perez Esquivel (1980). Human rights leader; founded non-violent human rights organizations to fight the military junta that was ruling his country (Argentina).

5: Lech Walesa (1983). Founder of Solidarność; campaigner for human rights.

6: Desmond Tutu (1984). Bishop of Johannesburg; former Secretary General, South African Council of Churches.

7: Elie Wiesel (1986). Chairman of The President's Commission on the Holocaust.

8: Oscar Arias (1987). For his work for peace in Central America, efforts which led to the accord signed in Guatemala on August 7 this year.

9: Tenzin Gyatso (1989). In his struggle for the liberation of Tibet he consistently has opposed the use of violence. He has instead advocated peaceful solutions based upon tolerance and mutual respect in order to preserve the historical and cultural heritage of his people.

10: Mikhail Gorbachev (1990). For his leading role in the peace process which today characterizes important parts of the international community.

11: Aung San Suu Kyi (1991). For her non-violent struggle for democracy and human rights.

12: Rigoberta Menchu (1992). For her work for social justice and ethno-cultural reconciliation based on respect for the rights of indigenous peoples.

13: Frederik Willem de Klerk (1993). For their work for the peaceful termination of the apartheid regime, and for laying the foundations for a new democratic South Africa.

I can pretty much quote my registration post from last year, with a couple of alterations:

Feckin' Nora, it's the 31st again! How did that happen?

In which case, here's last year's squad, as far as I am aware pointless as it were).

1. Aretha Franklin
2. Bashar Al-Assad
3. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
4. Sharif Ahmed (Somali President)
5. George H W Bush
6. Clive James
7. Michael Douglas
8. Paul Gascoigne
9. Michael Schumacher
10. Alan Stanford
11. Bernie Madoff
12. Martin Crowe
13. Jerry Lee Lewis

AG

Posted by Dal Segno (# 14673) on :

Adjusting last year's list to take account of those no longer with us...

Tony Blair (ex PM of UK)
Bob Hawke (ex PM of Oz)
Geoffrey Palmer (ex PM of NZ)
Jim Bolger (ex PM of NZ)
George HW Bush (ex President of USA)
George W Bush (ex President of USA)
Benedict XVI (ex Pontiff)
Teresa May (current home secretary of UK)
Malcolm McDowell (actor)
Neil Armstrong (astronaut)
Neil Diamond (musician)
Neil Gaiman (author)
Neil Young (musician)

Posted by ThunderBunk (# 15579) on :

My maiden list of those I do not expect to join in 2017:

Dame Judi Dench
Bruce Forsythe
Geoffrey Palmer (British actor)
George H W Bush
George Carey
Tony Blair
Jean-Marie le Pen
Donald Trump
Mick Jaggar
Jason Orange
Melvyn Bragg
Colin Dexter
Dick van Dyke

[ 31. December 2015, 19:23: Message edited by: ThunderBunk ]

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

Muhammad Ali
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
George H. W. Bush
Glen Campbell
Jimmy Carter
The Dalai Lama
Fran Drescher
Billy Graham
Valerie Harper
Kim Jong-Un
Prince Philip
Pat Robertson
Desmond Tutu

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

Time for my once a year post...

1. Ken Dodd
2. Prince Philip
3. Dick Van Dyke
4. Michael J Fox
5. Kanye West (if only)
6. Lesley Phillips
7. Fidel Castro
8. George Michael
9. Miley Cyrus
10. Murray Walker
11. Billy Graham
12. Muhammad Ali
13. George Bush Snr

Auntie Doris x

I have only posted twice in the last year - both times to put my Death Pool entry in!

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

1 Val Kilmer
2 Valerie Harper
3 Clive James
4 Morrissey
5 Joost Van Der Westhuizen
6 Prunella Scales
7 Fidel Castro
8 Harper Lee
9 Muhammad Ali
10 Elizabeth Dawn
11 Ryan Buell
12 Martin Crowe
13 Helmut Kohl

Posted by An die Freude (# 14794) on :

1. Omar Treviño Morales
2. Alexey Navalny
3. Barack Obama
4. Kim Jong-Un
5. Paul Gascoigne
6. Jonathan Rhys Meyers
7. Lindsay Lohan
8. Miley Cyrus
9. Bashar Al-Assad
10. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
11. Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour
12. Mokhtar Belmokhtar
13. Vladimir Putin

Posted just in the nick of time. Well done. Now let battle commence!

If this competition is a battle what is the equivalent of collateral damage?

It appears that Natalie Cole , daughter of Nat, has sung her last.

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
It appears that Natalie Cole , daughter of Nat, has sung her last.

I can honestly say that I did not see that one coming. I remember Nat King Cole as being the first singer that, as a child, I realized was a great singer. His version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" is still, in my mind, the definitive version. Because of my fondness for him, I have always thought well of Natalie and I loved the "duet" she made with her father of "Unforgettable." It truly was.

RIP Natalie. God rest you.

I'm not sure what time of day Natalie Cole died. Here in CST, six hours behind GMT, it was still 12/31when she passed.

Is the local date the one that counts when points are awarded? It might have already been 1/1 in the UK.

I run two Death Pools here in the USA, and I live in fear that someone would make an issue of this. Last year one game had a tie declared for our "Opening Kickoff" award, as Jeff Golub and Mario Cuomo died on January 1. We are macabre but not so macrabe that I was going to research that kind of detail.

quote:
Originally posted by Baker:
I'm not sure what time of day Natalie Cole died. Here in CST, six hours behind GMT, it was still 12/31when she passed.

If you look back to the opening post on this thread, we choose GMT as the universal standard. Otherwise you end up with the difficulties of locality that you described.

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:

If you look back to the opening post on this thread, we choose GMT as the universal standard. Otherwise you end up with the difficulties of locality that you described.
I suppose it only applies for a short time, and it is very unlikely that anyone chooses someone who dies on 1/1 or 31/12, but wouldn't it make sense to use the day in the location that the person actually died?

Not that it matters for another 11 months and 4 weeks or so.

quote:
I suppose it only applies for a short time, and it is very unlikely that anyone chooses someone who dies on 1/1 or 31/12, but wouldn't it make sense to use the day in the location that the person actually died?

Maybe yes, maybe no, but the midnight cutoff in the same time zone of the Death Pool Game host has been in effect since 2008 if not earlier.

The currently available reports of Ms. Cole's death say only that she died the evening or night of Dec. 31, in Los Angeles. As vague as that is, evening on the west coast of the US is surely after midnight in the UK, so that makes the date of her death for this game's purposes as Jan. 1, 2016.

The whole thing is moot, though. No one had Ms. Cole on either 2015 or 2016's lists.

It was only a thought for the next one. It is fleetingly unlikely to ever apply.

In one DP that I run, for 2015 we had a situation where the time zone mattered. One player had a Canadian swing band leader named Dal Richards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dal_Richards

He died just before midnight Pacific Standard Time. But the game is run on Central Standard Time, which is two hours ahead, so when Mr. Richards passed it was already 2016 according to the game. The player had him for 2015 but not 2016, so I had to tell them they didn't get any points. It would have been only three points anyway, the man was 97.

Matthew Hobden has died. I am not a cricket fan and had never heard of him, but it seems like a sad loss at just 22.

quote:
If this competition is a battle what is the equivalent of collateral damage?

When a politician or celebrity's bodyguard takes a bullet.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
The Rogue: 12: Rigoberta Menchu (1992). For her work for social justice and ethno-cultural reconciliation based on respect for the rights of indigenous peoples.
I've spoken with her a couple of times. Hoping that her inclusion on your list gives her the kiss of life.

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

Maybe yes, maybe no, but the midnight cutoff in the same time zone of the Death Pool Game host has been in effect since 2008 if not earlier.
Or midnight's reckoned from a certain time zone, at the very least. I think the reference to "UTC" in the rules comes from me copying the Naval Observatory's lingo back when I was hosting the challenge (the Greenwich Observatory doesn't, or didn't, have an online clock); while the USNO is in my time zone, the time it keeps isn't.

No matter. Bring on the obits of cool people I wish I'd heard of earlier!

Byeeee!

Oh that is sad news - he was a staple of childhood! I had a record played for me on my 8th or 9th I guess) birthday on Junior Choice.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

I just noticed that no one has mentioned the death of Pierre Boulez, who died on January 5th.

Also in catch-up mode, Pat Harrington died back on January 7.

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

David Bowie has died, aged 69.

What a loss of such a creative man, comparatively young. [Frown]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Yeah, what a shock. [Frown]

Terrible news.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

And the stars look very different today - RIP [Tear]

I accidentally posted wondering why nobody else had posted it, before realising it was the 2015 pool!

Very sad and shocking loss, he will be missed by so many including myself.

He was part of the sound-track to my slightly mis-spent youth. RIP.

Am now imagining the sound of the duet between Bowie and Lemmy. The seraphim won't know what's hit them.

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Also in catch-up mode, Pat Harrington died back on January 7.

In addition to his role on One Day At A Time, he was also the voice of The Inspector on the eponymous cartoon. Which means he more or less shared a role with Peter Sellers.

I remember seeing an article about Harrington, in(I think) People magazine, and being surprised at how old he was. For some reason, I always thought of the Schneider character as being younger, certainly not someone born in the 1920s.

Please be kind to Piglet who would have scored 32 points had David Bowie died in December.

Oh no! I took him off my "kiss-of-life" list and he died. [Waterworks]

Baseball Hall of Famer Monte Irvin has died. A great player who helped integrate the major leagues after Jackie Robinson.

And not on my list. [Disappointed]

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

You are entirely responsible for his death. I hope you are now proud.

[Snigger]

Crap. [Tear]

Alan Rickman, whose most memorable roles playing the dying (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Die Hard, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) and the dead (Truly, Madly Deeply) have now caught up with him.

[ 14. January 2016, 11:41: Message edited by: Sipech ]

quote:
quote:

[Snigger]

Don't you think I feel bad enough without your help? [Frown]

quote:
Crap. [Tear]

Alan Rickman, whose most memorable roles playing the dying (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Die Hard, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) and the dead (Truly, Madly Deeply) have now caught up with him.

One of my very favorite actors -- I think I liked him best as Obadiah Slope.

[Waterworks]

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Crap. [Tear]

One of my very favorite actors -- I think I liked him best as Obadiah Slope.

[Waterworks]

My favourite role of his was Dr. Lazarus/Alexander Dane in Galaxy Quest.

"By Grabthar's Hammer, you shall be avenged!!"

Oh, shit. [Frown]

I loved seeing him play against character in Sense and Sensibility. He definitely was a key player in any production he was a part of. He even made an impression in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, that pretty sad movie.

RIP. [Tear]

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Snigger]

Yeah, I thought the quip about losing points was funny in that it was typical of the shippie tenancy to check the death pool stats before we start the AS thread-- even people who don't play do that, it seems--but that leans toward-- well, mean.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Snigger]

Yeah, I thought the quip about losing points was funny in that it was typical of the shippie tenancy to check the death pool stats before we start the AS thread-- even people who don't play do that, it seems--but that leans toward-- well, mean.
I apologise. It wasn't meant as mean, just a joke. It was in bad taste, I accept.

FWIW, I didn't read any meanness in SC's post; the "sad face" icon was purely because I'd taken Mr. Bowie off my list and he died.

When I posted my 2016 list, I'd forgotten (a) that he'd been on my 2015 list; and (b) why.

Another Canadian who got rich off his wife's talent has died. Anyone who called his twin sons Nelson and Eddy gets no sympathy from me,

eta: and this is post # 20016! Appropriate.

[ 14. January 2016, 21:07: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

I saw Mr. Celine's name light up on twitter and my first thought was "Was he 69?" [Smile]

Apparently a brother of her's has now died of cancer as well. [Votive]

Flight Lieutenant Bob Large has gained a new pair of wings.

Perhaps not the usual fodder of the Death Pool, but I had the pleasure of an hour or so on the telephone with him once. A charming man, and a great storyteller.

AG

...as apparently so have Glenn Frey of the Eagles and Danny Griffin of Mott the Hoople.

AG

quote:
...as apparently so have Glenn Frey of the Eagles and Danny Griffin of Mott the Hoople.

I believe it's Dale Griffin, dead after a long bout with Alzheimer's. Sad. I didn't follow the group, but I just read their biggest hit, "All the Young Dudes" was written and produced by Bowie. If that doesn't give a person pause...

Glen Frey passed away after facing several challenges including Rheumatoid Arthritis and pneumonia. Both were 67.

Skimming through titles of articles on my newsfeed, I noticed one called "The Twilight of the Rock Gods." I'm not ready for any more of them to go.

quote:

AG

There's one hell of a concert going on up there...

Well, I guess most rock gods were baby boomers, and I'm afraid that statistically, the bell curve is rising for them.

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Well, I guess most rock gods were baby boomers, and I'm afraid that statistically, the bell curve is rising for them.

And many of them did not live very healthy lifestyles.

2015 seemed a slow year but 2016 has no mercy. Publisher Lord [George] Weidenfeld has died at 86 and another musician, Animal, of The Muppets has died at 66.

Much respect to the late Alfred Peaches, one of the last of the Navajo Code Talkers.

[ 22. January 2016, 22:15: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Jimmy Bain, bass plater with Rainbow and Dio. No cause of death announced as yet.

If this continues I'll have to call 2016 to Hell.

quote:
Jimmy Bain, bass plater with Rainbow and Dio. No cause of death announced as yet.

If this continues I'll have to call 2016 to Hell.

Player, not plater, and cause is, 'fighting with pneumonia for some time.'

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Martin Minsky escapes before the Singularity can get him.

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

Singer Colin Vearncombe, better known as Black, has just died [Waterworks] (announced on Radio 6, so I rapidly checked the Beeb site).

He's really dead this time, Abe Vigoda gets an offer he can't refuse

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

I enjoyed him in "Barney Miller." And... I saw him walking down the sidewalk in New York City once. He apparently lived very near me.

We don't see characters like Fish anymore. Working class dudes rumpled and getting by.

quote:

I saw the news item and just thought it was a repost of the same joke, saw it was a legitimate news site, and big dribbly tears ran down my face. He is a visual twin to my grandpa, and he and I would watch his short lived "Barney Miller" spinoff sitcom "Fish" together just to appreciate the resemblance.

[ 27. January 2016, 03:47: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

"Can ya get me off the hook, Tom, for old time's sake?"

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
2015 seemed a slow year but 2016 has no mercy.

[...] another musician, Animal, of The Muppets has died at 66.

Not true, I'm afraid. See Snopes.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

That's a relief. Rock on, Animal!

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
2015 seemed a slow year but 2016 has no mercy.

[...] another musician, Animal, of The Muppets has died at 66.

Not true, I'm afraid. See Snopes.
Thanks Wesley, some good news amongst the mayhem.

Animal may be back, but Paul Kantner is no longer with us.

Has anybody sewed up the Inside Track award for this year?

The BBC have just this minute announced the death of Terry Wogan at 77.

He was a fixture on the radio in the mornings when I was a child, and was doing his breakfast show until three - four years ago. I've not listened for years, but I still feel as though another piece of my childhood has died. [Tear]

AG

quote:

He was a fixture on the radio in the mornings when I was a child, and was doing his breakfast show until three - four years ago. I've not listened for years, but I still feel as though another piece of my childhood has died. [Tear]

AG

I feel just the same as you.

RIP Sir Terry.

quote:

AG

2016, it's just not funny.

Now Frank Finlay Has there ever been a busier month?

I oversee a Death Pool on another board, and so far in 2016 we have had nine celebrities die that counted for points. One player had three of those, and a total for this year already of 144 points.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

And still another this month: Pete Seeger

Umm, Seeger died two years ago.

Gaah. Thanks, and sorry. Popped up on my feed. I should know to check!

I think Lord Lucan now counts as officially dead. Although it would be a brave person who had him on a death list.

quote:
I think Lord Lucan now counts as officially dead. Although it would be a brave person who had him on a death list.

2016 claims yet another victim

quote:

And if they did, how many points do they get? Is there a presumed DoD on the certificate?

quote:
quote:

And if they did, how many points do they get? Is there a presumed DoD on the certificate?
I am guessing it would be from his age at the point when he is declared dead, so 19 (he would have been 81. He might actually be 81 for all anyone knows).

They would also win the newly instituted "Lord Lucan Prize" for the death most difficult to pin down.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I am guessing it would be from his age at the point when he is declared dead, so 19 (he would have been 81. He might actually be 81 for all anyone knows).

They would also win the newly instituted "Lord Lucan Prize" for the death most difficult to pin down.

I agree. If you tried to put it further back, he would not count as one who "shuffle[d] off this mortal coil in 2016," to quote Rule 1. And, strictly speaking, he was not "legally dead" until the declaration was made.

quote:
...They would also win the newly instituted "Lord Lucan Prize" for the death most difficult to pin down.

How would one go about trying to craft a list to win that? Presumably you would have to be not considered officially dead yet.

My interpretation of the rules is that the important time is that of actual death, not any declaration of the same. If someone wanted to claim any points then they would have to prove (somehow) exactly when the metabolic processes actually ceased.

Fortunately he wasn't on anyone's list this year. However, I am slightly nervous about Elvis....

Blasphemy! The King forever lives!

Bob Elliott, half of the deadpan Bob and Ray comedy team, has died at 92. They were also wonderful as Bert and Harry Piel and did a series of commercials for a bank here in Arizona if I recall correctly.

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:
...They would also win the newly instituted "Lord Lucan Prize" for the death most difficult to pin down.

How would one go about trying to craft a list to win that? Presumably you would have to be not considered officially dead yet.
AFAIC no celebrity death list is complete without at least one member of the Taliban high command. Their deaths are both a points bonanza, and rather difficult to certify.

The voice of Bugs Bunny (and others) has left us. Mel Blanc died a while back but Joe Alaskey may now get some credit. He was a fine Foghorn Leghorn, I tell yah.

63 looks way too young, and in other news there are indications that Michael Schumacher's condition is deteriorating. This really is a bummer of a year.

And another one: Maurice White of Earth Wind and Fire

I haven't kept track of how many, if any, celeb deaths have counted for points in this year's game?

Margaret Forster , one of my favourite authors, has died.

Justice Antonin Scalia has died. He was the longest-serving member of the current US Supreme Court.

[ 13. February 2016, 21:33: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

He was also one of the most conservative. There will be interesting times on Capitol Hill getting a new justice appointed. The Republican controlled Congress will wield tremendous leverage and have an opportunity to really stick it to Obama for all those executive orders he made over their heads. This appointment will be HUGE.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
He was also one of the most conservative. There will be interesting times on Capitol Hill getting a new justice appointed. The Republican controlled Congress will wield tremendous leverage and have an opportunity to really stick it to Obama for all those executive orders he made over their heads. This appointment will be HUGE.

You make that sound like a good thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

You make that sound like a good thing.
I didn't mean it to be. It just seems like the unfortunate truth.

You don't think:
Okay, sorry, hosts, for going all Purg in the Circus.

[ 13. February 2016, 23:30: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

Those who know you knew what you meant, Lyda.

Eric Lubbock, Lord Avebury, has died and was in my 2016 squad.

Is this the first death that counts for points this year?

Despite the huge bonanza of deaths so far in 2016 Eric Lubbock is the first of our picks to reward any of us. Unless it comes to light that someone had died before today (and their accountant kept it quiet for tax reasons) I can confirm that Light User has won the Inside Track with the Grim Reaper award and also leads the overall standings. And, of course, is currently ahead in the Quantity Not Quality and the Sudden Death awards.

[ 14. February 2016, 18:59: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

Not sure he was on anyone's list, but former UN Secretary General Boutros Boutros Ghali has died.

His name always reminds me of The Fast Show Channel 9.

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

Ditto.

It would appear that George Gaynes has now been promoted to Heaven's Commandant.

I had Gaynes in a DP in 2013. I had a themed list, celebs over the age of 95.

As I thought, Harper Lee has died. That's 11 points I really wish I didn't have.

Yeah, owch. Rise in glory, Miss Harper.

[ 19. February 2016, 16:25: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

The mockingbird gets its revenge. RIP Harper Lee.

Eleven points for Sipech, Kyzyl and Gwai. Each.

Another writer, Umberto Eco, has died today at 84.

quote:
Another writer, Umberto Eco, has died today at 84.

Oh no. A genius writer and thinker.

Sixteen points for nobody.

One of Britain's true greats, Captain (RN) Eric "Winkle" Brown died today at 97. When one considers what he did (flew in combat, carrier landings, survived the sinking of the aircraft carrier he was on and did a colossal amount of aircraft testing) he clearly defied the odds to be an old and bold pilot.

Eric Brown was the test pilot's test pilot. We will not see his like again.

AG

Feck.

Frank Kelly, most famous for playing Father Jack Hackett, has died.

Malcolm Boyd is running with Jesus.

Louise (her with the books with the long embarrassing titles) Rennison has died.
I had thought she was much younger than that!

I don't see where anybody has posted this yet, but actor George Kennedy has died, age 91.

Cricket player Martin Crowe has died.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11462281

Nancy Reagan has died at the age of 94.

6 points to Pomona.

Couple of people had Martin Crowe, didn't they?

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

I thought she was already dead.

It's good for the soul to have a surprise now and then, Uncle Pete!

As noted on a Memorial Thread the conductor and early music specialist. Nikolaus Harnoncourt has died.

quote:
Couple of people had Martin Crowe, didn't they?

Yes. Gwai & Sandemaniac. Good points.

A twosome here.

George Martin has died - the man who made the Beatles.

Also Michael White. Not a name I know as such, but he was the producer of Monty Python and the Holy Grail as well as The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

quote:

George Martin has died - the man who made the Beatles.

A sad loss but I'm enjoying the musical tributes.

Fuck. Naná Vasconcelos. A friend of mine.

Heaven is roaring with thousands of alfaias while here on Earth the drums fall silent. The only way to receive a king.

I wish I was in Recife right now.

quote:

So sorry for your loss, LeRoc.
[Votive]

quote:

I enjoyed his work with Don Cherry. My condolences.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
quote:

I thought she was already dead.
Me too.

Meanwhile, well known downunda,
John English has died. I chatted with him in a lift once ...

...and now Keith Emerson has left the building.

AG

I'm sorry to hear that; I have a soft spot for Fanfare for the Common Man, of which D. sometimes plays an organ transcription.

quote:
quote:

I liked his work with Pat Metheny; the name was familiar and I checked.

Sir Peter Maxwell Davies has died, aged 81. Was he on anyone's list?

I just came to post the same thing. Very sad to hear it - growing up in Orkney in the 1970s, I was "weaned" on Max's music, and performed in premieres of several of the pieces he wrote for Kirkwall Grammar School (the part of "Widow Grumble" in his Cinderella was written with me in mind [Big Grin] ).

A genius and a gentleman - RIP Max. [Tear]

I am so glad I saw him in 2014 at one of his 80th birthday concerts (chatting about the music). Such an amazing character and music.

Now it's Anita Brookner's turn to leave us.

And that is one "Why does it always happen to me?" point for me.

Lord Asa Briggs has also died. I once rented a room from somene who knew him, though I have to say that I thought he'd snuffed it years ago.

AG

Perhaps next year my theme for selection should be "people I thought were already dead".

Here's another one: Sylvia Anderson

Frank Sinatra, Jr. has joined his dad at the young age of 72.

It had been coming, but illusionist Paul Daniels has died.

Probably the first magician most in my generation ever saw.

Also Cliff Michelmore who come into the I Can't Believe He Was Still Alive category.

I hope St Peter took on extra staff at the start of this year, because he has been stupidly busy.

Paul Daniels has died.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35835777

A workmate of Darllenwr's pointed out that you never saw Paul Daniels and Cliff Mitchelmore on screen at the same time...(I suppose there was some facial likeness)
I'm another one who thought Cliff Mitchelmore had died some years ago.

quote:
quote:

Paint this Canadian somewhat confused by that last name. Learned something tonight.
[Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:
quote:

Paint this Canadian somewhat confused by that last name. Learned something tonight.
[Biased]

And just so the non-Canucks understand what a mind-blower that confusion could be...

"I'm wearin' pink for all you pinkos"

I'm with Og - I thought "that Don Cherry - he of the loud suits and wee dog?".

Google is my friend ... [Big Grin]

Venerable character actor Joe Santos joins the heavenly detective bureau.

Barry Hines - author of Kes and Threads - has died.

Kes was just a superb piece of work, beautifully written and filmed.

Threads - possibly the most frightening thing ever shown on TV.

The former mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford, has died at a very young 46.

I should have had him on my list as we all pretty much knew this would happen this year. Young kids too. Had issues with him as a politician and a person but no matter. Praying for him and his family. [Votive]

Did nobody have him on their list? I should have thought of him instead of all those Kardashians.

As several people said on my Facebook, Ford's death is a reminder to all of to always try to be your best self, since we never know when our time is up and people will be stuck with a memory of us based on the last few things we did.

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

I had him on my list. I didn't even know he was ill - I just thought he looked generally unhealthy, so took a punt. I'm sad to hear of this. 46 is far too young.

That was quite a punt, Cottontail! He certainly looked like a heart attack waiting to happen, but I would have thought he was older than 46.

As others have said, even if you didn't agree with his politics or approve of his lifestyle, that's way before his time.

Sorry for double-post.

I've just discovered from FB posts that Mr. Ford had cancer, so my 'heart-attack" theory was mistaken.

RIP.

I'm sorry that Rob Ford wasn't given the gift of life folks on my lists usually receive. [Votive]

Baseball player and broadcaster Joe Garagiola has died at age 90.

Dutch footballing legend Johan Cruyff has died of cancer, aged 68.

quote:
Dutch footballing legend Johan Cruyff has died of cancer, aged 68.

Quite how that Dutch side didn't win in '74 will forever be a mystery. With the players they had they should have beaten anyone, even on a bad day.

Cruyff was something special though, even in that company.

quote:
Sioni Sais: Quite how that Dutch side didn't win in '74 will forever be a mystery.
A German player threw himself to the ground and the referee gave them a penalty.

Cruijff's death is a rather big deal.

The Screen Actors Guild now has representation on a higher plane, Ken Howard has died.

Comedian Garry Shandling has died at a Los Angeles hospital at age 66.

No longer concerned about the whereabouts of any wallet; Malik Taylor, aka Phife Dog, of a Tribe Called Quest.

Just wanted to put some Cruyffianisms here:
Rest in peace, you rascal.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

At this rate there won't be anyone famous left by the end of the year.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
At this rate there won't be anyone famous left by the end of the year.

Except for most of those we nominated between us.

Legends of the Fall author Jim Harrison joins the afterworld writing pool.

Global Catholic Network founder Mother Mary Angelica has died at 92, on Easter Sunday.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Oh, Lordy, on Easter Sunday of all days!

I think we have someone in Hanceville. A MW report of her funeral would make a fitting Report No. 3000.

My father, in the hospital on Easter Sunday(35 years ago) after having a heart attack the day before, coded, and had to be revived. He said that if he'd died there couldn't have been a better day for it.

Actress Patty Duke has died at only 69.

And it's goodbye from him [Frown]

Another one gone A really sad loss.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
And it's goodbye from him [Frown]

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Possibly the best comedy double act ever to grace the BBC.

There'll be laughter in Heaven.

RIP Mr. Corbett. [Votive]

I don't think she was on anybody's list, but renowned architect Dame Zaha Hadid has died suddenly aged 65.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

Douglas Wilmer has hung up his deerstalker.

I have zero interest in country music, but even I have heard of Merle Haggard, who just died at 79.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

The Bakersfield sound. [Tear]

Not on my baseball-themed list for reasons that will soon be obvious, but Mike Sandlock has died.

His most recent claim to fame was that he was the oldest living former major league baseball player. He turned 100 on October 17, 2015. So no points.

Although Sandlock did play for the then-Brooklyn Dodgers, he was in the minor leagues in 1947 when Jackie Robinson broke into the major leagues. However, Sandlock was in spring training with Robinson that year trying to make the team--and he was one of the Dodger players who refused to sign a petition opposing Robinson's presence on the team.

In addition, in the minors he played with another Negro Leaguer, Roy Campanella. Campanella credited Sandlock (who, like Campanella, was a catcher) with helping Campanella on his throwing motion so that he could throw runners out at second better. Campy would go on to the majors and eventually be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Another end of an era. The last native-born resident of St Kilda has died.

AG

I hadn't heard of him myself but it seems a lot of joints will be lit in his membory.

Howard Marks has died at 70, from cancer.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/10/howard-marks-dies-aged-70

Forgot to add to above, that two players have him on their lists here.

quote:
Forgot to add to above, that two players have him on their lists here.

My first points of the year!

The New Yorker cartoonist William Hamilton has died in a car crash, at 76.

One that I remember fondly is of a typical well-upholstered clubman telling his cronies, "It seems that there must be some other Bart Simpson in town."

David Gest has died.

Hymn writer Father Ernest Sands has committed suicide. He composed 'Sing of the Lord’s Goodness'

http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2016/04/14/ernest-sands-rip/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Blake has left the galaxy.

I always remember a line from Clive James review - 'the actors stride through sets costing several pounds shouting things like 'Reverse all thrusts!''

Earnest Sands death sounds like a real tragedy. Always sad when someone takes their own life.

Gareth Thomas was superb in B7 - he kept the others together, and made that series what it was. It was a ground-breaking series, and I think Firefly was inspired by it (to an extent).

The UK railways have just become more dangerous because the Mind the Gap man has died.

I was just coming to post about him. What a wonderfully soothing voice he had.

[TANGENT] The guy who recorded the "Watch Your Step" announcement on Los Angeles city buses could have taken lessons from him. (Poor recording, but you'll see that he sounds like a street thug.) [/TANGENT]

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
[TANGENT] The guy who recorded the "Watch Your Step" announcement on Los Angeles city buses could have taken lessons from him. (Poor recording, but you'll see that he sounds like a street thug.) [/TANGENT]

Sorry, one more continuation of the tangent. just to suggest that Los Angeles should employ these two.

This calls for its own thread.

Percy Sledge can now Kiss an angel good morning.

Peggy Fortnum, who bought Paddington Bear to life, is dead.

quote:
Percy Sledge can now Kiss an angel good morning.

He died last year.

Doris Roberts has died. While most write-ups focus on her playing the mother on Everybody Loves Raymond, personally I always remember her for her brilliant characterization of Mildred Krebs on Remington Steele.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Doris Roberts is the star of one of the least nauseating Christmas rom-coms - Mrs Miracle.

I remember her from Ben Casey (showing my age!) and Remington Steele too.

She got 4 Emmys for her work on Everybody loves Raymond and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

What the hell is going on???? Now we've lost Victoria Wood!

What has God got against people this year?

Victoria Wood was a comedy genius. I know that word is used a lot, but her writing talents (never mind her performing) were amazing. I still think dinnerladies is one of the most superbly crafted sitcoms ever. And the cast list is amazing - so many talented people who she could bring out (Maxine Peake's Twinkle was and still is a stunning performance, especially when you see what else she has done since)

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Victoria Wood and the late great Linda Smith were two of a kind. Their gentle irony and wordplay was wonderful.

I saw Victoria Wood live twice at the Liverpool Empire and she was stunningly brilliant - my sides ached all the way home - and the houses were always packed.

A great loss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03rdjhm

We're right, more deaths, but it is to do with how many more celebreties were created by the onset of mass media. They are reaching that age now. Though Victoria Wood has gone very young [Frown]

It's been a lousy year. My brother died six weeks ago, but Victoria Wood is definitely my "second most missed".

[Votive]

Prince is now the latest victim of 2016.

quote:
What has God got against people this year?

Victoria Wood was a comedy genius. I know that word is used a lot, but her writing talents (never mind her performing) were amazing. I still think dinnerladies is one of the most superbly crafted sitcoms ever. And the cast list is amazing - so many talented people who she could bring out (Maxine Peake's Twinkle was and still is a stunning performance, especially when you see what else she has done since)

I loved Dinnerladies! I wish BBCA would run shows like that again.

The Prince thing is too much to get my head around at the moment.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:

I have a nasty feeling that Doublethink is on the money about this. All those people I grew up to hear singing "Forever Young", and who seemed eternally to be so, are now dying. This news is disturbing, because if they didn't manage to achieve eternal youth... [Ultra confused]

And another one.

Red Dwarf had it right: "Everybody's dead Dave."

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

I have a nasty feeling that Doublethink is on the money about this. All those people I grew up to hear singing "Forever Young", and who seemed eternally to be so, are now dying. This news is disturbing, because if they didn't manage to achieve eternal youth... [Ultra confused]
That song came on the radio the other day, and I had to turn it off. I see what you're saying.

It came to me last night that 2016 is The Year of the Rapture but that is happening rather slowly!

There's a meme going around about George R.R. Martin being the author of 2016.

Maybe this is the payback for 2015, which was pretty quiet.

It’s not just that lots of people are dying. It’s that people are dying who we feel upset about.

My list of the despotic and despicable all seem to be doing a fine job of staying alive.

A slightly sick thought - he really is "the artist formerly known as Prince" now.

That crossed my mind, too. [Frown] .

As for La vie en rouge-- Seriously!

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
A slightly sick thought - he really is "the artist formerly known as Prince" now.

Surely he's the former artist known as Prince.

'cause he's currently known as Prince.

</pedant>

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
... My list of the despotic and despicable all seem to be doing a fine job of staying alive.

I usually divide my list into "kiss-of-life" and "why-hasn't-he-been-assassinated-yet?" but the Grim Reaper rarely takes any notice. [Disappointed]

Just to get away from the Western style musicians dying, 2016 claims yet another - Papa Wemba

Wow I have several of his CD's. He's very big in Congo.

Given the spate of celebrity deaths this year it is probably time for a scores update.

So far Eric Lubbock (14/2), Harper Lee (19/2), Martin Crowe (3/3), Nancy Reagan (6/3), Rob Ford (22/3), Johan Cruyff (24/3), Ronnie Corbett (31/3) & Howard Marks (10/4) have done their best to keep us honest. This means that Gwai is leading the competition with 58 points and jedijudy & Cottontail share second place with 54. Thirty of us have proved unable to shoot apples in a barrel.

Light User won the Inside Track with the Grim Reaper award for guessing Eric Lubbock.

If nobody else on out lists dies (is that possible?) then Tree Bee and Light User will share the Sudden Death award for Howard Marks.

Gwai and Light User currently share lead of the Quantity not Quality standings with two and nine others have one each.

Finally, piglet and I each have one point towards the Why Does it Always Happen to Me award.

It does strike me that, despite the apparent cull of well known people this year, nobody is scoring particularly well.

It probably shows how unexpected most of them have been.

quote:
Just to get away from the Western style musicians dying, 2016 claims yet another - Papa Wemba

God hates good music. Papa Wemba will be missed.

My condolences, Mrs. Jones.

quote:
Wow I have several of his CD's. He's very big in Congo.

I loved him! [Frown]

(Off to play La Vie est Belle nine times in row.)

Madeleine Sherwood, yet another Canadian contribution to the American Wasteland Blacklisted by McCarthy

Barry Howard from Hi-de-hi has died.

And Keith Harris has gone. Not one that I am particularly emotional about.

quote:

Sad, but I never really warmed to him. But another part of my younger life.

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

quote:
quote:

The date on that article is 2015 - he actually died last year...

quote:

Is there something about vent acts that makes the performers unloveable? Are they a bit like clowns in that respects?

Maybe would-be ventriloquists should be warned.

Perhaps it's the ventriloquist dummy section of the 1945 film Dead of Night.

quote:
Is there something about vent acts that makes the performers unloveable? Are they a bit like clowns in that respects?

I have seen ventriloquists that are fantastic. I think they are often rather too twee.

If anyone ever saw an act called Strassman, that was an awesome act. totally sassy.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

IMO the best ventriloquists in the UK over the past 40 or so years were Ray Alan, with Lord Charles, and Roger de Courcey, with Nookie Bear; the latter was particularly good at a Royal Variety performance: when told the Queen Mother was seated in a box he caused howls of laughter by sympathising saying he too knew what it was to be stuck in a box. Apparently HM was mesmerised by the act.

quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
quote:
quote:

The date on that article is 2015 - he actually died last year...
[Hot and Hormonal]

For some reason it currently is the second most popular item on the BBC website.

The author Jenny Diski has died.

Her novel 'Rainforest', an account of an academic's descent in to madness during a field trip to Borneo, is an underrated masterpiece IMHO.

Also, she was on my list.

Father Daniel Berrigan has died at 94.

Yesterday I saw that William Schallert had died.

Tony Cozier has had his last TMS cake.

AG

I should imagine that Heaven probably has both cricket and CAKE. [Smile]

quote:
I should imagine that Heaven probably has both cricket and CAKE. [Smile]

That gives me an idea. Perhaps heaven, being eternal and all that, is batting forever on the most beautiful wicket that plays true all the time.

If so, then hell would be bowling and fielding in the game without the prospect of ever getting a wicket.

If heaven does not have cricket and cake, I'm not interested. Though Sipech does have a point...

AG

It has got to play spin!

Maybe a "real" wicket is needed. It would need some pace to encourage bowlers and batsmen and ought to start off favouring fast bowlers, then batsmen, then towards the end favour spinners. That way the advantage of batting first is minimised.

Author John Bradshaw has died.

Mark Lane has died of a heart attack. Or, at least, so "they" claim. There is still an open question how many people were involved in this so-called "heart attack."

The stop watch has stopped ticking for Morley Safer.

Possible points for Cod and An die Freude. I'm not certain of his date of birth, though, so part of me hopes he is not dead.

[ 22. May 2016, 08:08: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

More evidence for the death of Mullah Mansour.

The press association are reporting that Burt Kwouk (The Pink Panther films, Last of the Summer Wine) has died, aged 85.

Not now, Kato! [Waterworks]

Alan Young has died. I just hope that he didn't end up in the same place as his most famous costar.

Biblical scholar, Kenneth Bailey has died. His work, Informal Controlled Oral Tradition and the Synoptic Gospels is possibly one of the most important papers on oral tradition written in the 20th century. His book Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes was superb, eye-opening and helped me read the gospels afresh and with greater insight than I had previously.

He will be missed.

quote:
Father Daniel Berrigan has died at 94.

Thank you for picking this up - I missed it entirely until this week's The Economist What an inspiration of what Christianity should be. He was certainly a role model for a much younger me and for many.

[ 25. May 2016, 20:38: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

Jane Fawcett, Bletchley Park decoder who helped sink the Bismark, passes beyond the need for any language.

quote:
Jane Fawcett, Bletchley Park decoder who helped sink the Bismark, passes beyond the need for any language.

And I doubt we know how much she did at Bletchley. Everyone who worked there was amazing and fantastic.

I meed to say it - All the Bletchley workers deserve our total respect. For what they did then, and for how they kept it quiet for so long.

They rock like nobody else.

Carla Lane, writer of some classics, has died.

quote:
Carla Lane, writer of some classics, has died.

Some superb series. Brilliant writer.

The much made-up and hair-sprayed Jan Crouch of Trinity Broadcasting Network has died.

I think it is worth noting the passing of a true architectural historian, John Margolies, who has preserved images of vanishing whimsy.

quote:
I think it is worth noting the passing of a true architectural historian, John Margolies, who has preserved images of vanishing whimsy.

A German friend was puzzled by the phenomenon of American roadside attractions. I opined they exist because America doesn't have castles.

Dave Swarbrick of Fairport Convention is now trying to fiddle his way past the pearly gates.

Friends of mine saw Dave Swarbrick play - he could smoke and play at the same time. The cigarette went in on the upstroke of the bow and out on the downstroke

quote:
A German friend was puzzled by the phenomenon of American roadside attractions. I opined they exist because America doesn't have castles.

I thought Australia had the biggest and the best.
[Big Grin]

[TANGENT]
quote:
America doesn't have castles.

Well, there's this.

[/TANGENT]

Mohammad Ali now floats lighter than a butterfly and needs no more sting.

ETA: Apologies for no link. Online hasn't caught up yet.

[ 04. June 2016, 04:25: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Posted by guinness girl (# 4391) on :

BBC News confirms Muhammed Ali's death [Frown]

Sad - he was a great public representative of Islam, without trying.

I know he suffered after his boxing career, and I think this has also helped that sport (which I still thing is legalised brutality).

Sad loss.

Ali was more that just a boxer, even when confining one's view to the boxing world. But he transcended boxing and this is what makes him a legend. He is a civil rights icon who inspires across the globe, one who inspired other civil rights icons. He inspires by his dealing with adversity; political, social and physical. He inspires by sheer force of personality.
I am conflicted regarding fighting sport, but Muhammad Ali was more than a boxer, more than a celebrity. My world has always included The Greatest, and always will.

Bobby Curtola

Canadians of the 60s and 70s will remember.

Peter Shaffer, playwright of “Equus,” “Amadeus,” and other plays, has died at 90.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Memories of studying 'Royal Hunt of the Sun' at school. I did get to see it at the National Theatre years later.

Never seen "Royal Hunt" but, yes, we did it at school too.

We did however see a terrific performance of "Amadeus" at the Richmond (London) Theatre about 15 years ago, with David Suchet as Salieri (a tour-de-force) and Michael Sheen as Mozart. One of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had.

quote:
Bobby Curtola

Canadians of the 60s and 70s will remember.

And the '80s. I saw him doing some sort of emcee-ing gig at an Edmonton bowling alley around 1980 or so. He also did a few ads for a local grocery chain a few years later.

Judy Jetson has fallen silent.

Along the same lines-- I know she was probably not on anyone's list, but can we spare a moment for the late great Millie Helper?

A sweet, daffy woman who played second fiddle like a viruoso. They broke the mokd when they made her. [Tear]

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Never seen "Royal Hunt" but, yes, we did it at school too.

We did however see a terrific performance of "Amadeus" at the Richmond (London) Theatre about 15 years ago, with David Suchet as Salieri (a tour-de-force) and Michael Sheen as Mozart. One of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had.

We actually DID The Royal Hunt of the Sun. I played an Inca [Smile]

Anton Yelchin, he was only 27 [Frown]

[ 19. June 2016, 18:31: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

[Waterworks]
He was way too young. [Votive]

Pierre Lalonde est mort / Peter Martin is dead

For crooning in the 60s-90s Pierre Lalonde is dead.

He was known to the Americans as Peter Martin and had an American show which competed with his Montreal show in Canada in the 60s and 70s

For those of a certain age only.

[ 23. June 2016, 00:27: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

'Future Shock' Author Alvin Toffler dies at 87.

quote:
'Future Shock' Author Alvin Toffler dies at 87.

He wrote a prophetic book that proved to be absolutely right. Albeit not in the timeline that he had predicted, but the general direction he got right.

And, of course, nobody listened to him. Not in terms of the warnings, at least.

Another good poet gone. Let all words wear black today.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Oh God no.

Caroline Aherne has left us far too early. A mere 52.

Thank you for making us laugh, smile and treasure our ridiculous families.

Sad to have predicted this - she's been ill for a long time. 52 is no age at all, and she was so talented.

Now Elie Wiesel, one of the most important voices from the Holocaust, has died, aged 87.

I regard his Night as one of the most necessary of all books to read to get a grip on the 20th century.

Very sad. So talented. She was younger than me (just).

Michael Cimino, director of The Deer Hunter, passes through heaven's gate.

Mitch Fenner - Gymnastics coach and commentator (yeah, I know I'm probably the only person who knows who he is)

quote:
Michael Cimino, director of The Deer Hunter, passes through heaven's gate.

Where, I presume, someone hands him a gun with just one bullet....

The lovely Noel Neill has died.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Mitch Fenner - Gymnastics coach and commentator (yeah, I know I'm probably the only person who knows who he is)

Nope, me too.

It's only a few weeks since he was comentating the European Championships. How sad.

Actress Noel Neill, the first woman to play Lois Lane on the screen, has died at the age of 95.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=noel+neill

Minus 13 points.

Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Sydney Schanberg has died at 82. He was best known for his raw, gripping coverage of Cambodia's fall to the Khmer Rouge which was adapted into the film The Killing Fields, which won three Academy Awards.

The Most Rev. Edmond Browning, Presiding Bishop of the United States from 1986-1997, has died at 87.
[Votive]

Today is not a Happy Day, famed producer Garry Marshall has Exited to Eden

I was going to post that yesterday, but was too bummed out to think of a proper comment. Godspeed, Garry. [Votive]

[ 20. July 2016, 17:44: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

The Voice of the Stars, Marni Nixon, has become a true ghost.

quote:
The Voice of the Stars, Marni Nixon, has become a true ghost.

I saw her as Henry Higgins' mother a few years ago in "My Fair Lady." And I could have attended a luncheon with her a few months ago -- if I'd had thousands of dollars for a fund raiser.

It seems that Tim LaHaye has been Left Behind, at ĺeast bodily...

Jockey JT McNamara has died, aged 41.

Mrs Mangel is now gossiping her way round the afterlife...

Jack Davis, the man behind the look of Mad Magazine, Mad Monster Party and more has moved on to a more ephemeral publisher.

David Bald Eagle, as one person called him "the most interesting man in the world" has died at 97.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/27/487651658/david-bald-eagle-lakota-chief-musician-cowboy-and-actor-dies-at-9 7

This is the kind of guy who makes you realize how little you have accomplished. [Big Grin]

I wish I could have met him.

Gloria DeHaven has died. Trivia point: She gave Frank Sinatra his first on-screen kiss (in Step Lively (1944)).

I have to confess that, for me, this falls under the heading of "Wait...she was still alive?"

Who is currently in the lead?

Jazz Legend Pete Fountain Walks a Little Closer

The former catholic bishop of Derry, Edward Daly, who famously waved a white handerchief while aiding the victims of the Bloody Sunday massacre, has died aged 82.

quote:
The former catholic bishop of Derry, Edward Daly, who famously waved a white handerchief while aiding the victims of the Bloody Sunday massacre, has died aged 82.

Having recently been there, and seen the exhibition about Bloody Sunday, that is a real loss. The bravery he showed there should be remembered.

quote:
Jazz Legend Pete Fountain Walks a Little Closer

My dad loved him. Dad loved him some clarinet. What I didn't realize was that he was younger than my dad.

quote:

I'm sorry to hear about Bishop Daly; a friend on FB who used to be the organist of the Church of Ireland cathedral in Derry, and was (with his colleague at the RC cathedral) one of the founders of the Two Cathedrals Festival posted a very nice tribute to him.

May he rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

He is on nobody's list and most of you probably have not heard of him, but a part of my childhood has died because Captain Noah has died.

This is one of those deaths that makes me feel old.

A man can be worth billions and, as the song has it, 'be laid on his back amidst nettles and stones'.

I can't help thinking that the headline, "Billionaire landowner dies aged 64" is a bit odd - why wouldn't they have said "Duke of Westminster dies ..."?

It's not as if it's an obscure title that nobody's heard of.

Either way, may he rest in peace.

Hanif Mohammed, mainstay of Pakistan's cricket team for years has died at 81.

He can't have won many matches for Pakistan but he saved a fair number. An innings of about sixteen hours is nearer three days playing time than two.

quote:
He is on nobody's list and most of you probably have not heard of him, but a part of my childhood has died because Captain Noah has died.

This is one of those deaths that makes me feel old.

I didn't know this guy, I didn't grow up in the area. But some years ago my mother sent me a newpaper article(I was out of town for a while) that a gentleman named Frank Wiziarde had passed away, in Kansas City. I grew up watching a show he did, as "Whizzo the Clown" I actually cried a little because, as you said, a part of my childhood died with him.

Kenny Baker has died just a few days before his 82nd birthday. His huge personality made R2-D2 one of my favorites in the Star Wars movies.

May he rest in peace and rise in Glory. [Tear] [Votive]

Another in the "He was still alive?" category - Lord Brian Rix has died.

quote:
Another in the "He was still alive?" category - Lord Brian Rix has died.

I expect most of us (in Britain anyway) know someone with Down's Syndrome; had it not been for Brian Rix's efforts they would have been hidden away and forgotten about and it would have only something we had heard of.

Elsie Wayne

There are characters and then there are Characters. She was a Character.

Never agreed with her much, but I always enjoyed her feistiness.

RIP Elsie.

quote:
Jack Davis, the man behind the look of Mad Magazine, Mad Monster Party and more has moved on to a more ephemeral publisher.

When you factor in his movie posters and Time magazine covers as well, he really did define an era, visually speaking.

Gene Wilder has died.

Another one where reports of her death actually get circulated a few years after she died.

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Gene Wilder has died.

What a loss. His portrayal of Willy Wonker was perfect - nobody else could have done it.

Agreed. Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka was the definitive version for me. I have long planned to use one of his lines when I get around to retiring, and it seems to me an appropriate one to bring up in connection with Wilder's death. Wonka has explained to Charlie the real purpose of the contest and Charlie asks him why he would do that. Wilder, with perfect gentleness and just a touch of sadness in his smile says: "I can't go on forever...and I don't really want to try."

I don't think anyone had this guy, it's a shame all those points go to waste.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37224570

Abu Muhammad al-Adnani, leader of the so-called Islamic State.

quote:
Agreed. Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka was the definitive version for me. I have long planned to use one of his lines when I get around to retiring, and it seems to me an appropriate one to bring up in connection with Wilder's death. Wonka has explained to Charlie the real purpose of the contest and Charlie asks him why he would do that. Wilder, with perfect gentleness and just a touch of sadness in his smile says: "I can't go on forever...and I don't really want to try."

Here's that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysv5XtiZwaQ

Gene Wilder will always be Jim, the drunken sharp-shooter in Blazing Saddles for me.
quote:
Bart: Are we awake?
Jim: We're not sure. Are we... black?
Bart: Yes, we are.
Jim: Then we're awake... but we're very puzzled.

May he rest in peace.

Veteran character actor Jon Polito goes to the great Central Casting in the sky.

quote:
Originally posted by me:

8. Islam Karimov

Finally my ailing despots strategy has started paying off.

22 points to me.

Norman Kwong First Canadian Football League player of Asian extraction in 1948. Youngest player ever to play in the Grey Cup. Successful business man. Lieutenant Governor of Alberta 2005-2010. One of the original co-owners of the Calgary Flames. Gone home age 86.

An Albertan icon.

The Church of England have confirmed that one of their most famous heretics, and former bishop of Durham, David Jenkins, has died at the age of 91. Source

quote:
The Church of England have confirmed that one of their most famous heretics, and former bishop of Durham, David Jenkins, has died at the age of 91. Source

Lightning bolt finally got 'im?

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

quote:

Very sad to hear this. The man was inspirational - when you heard him direct, admittedly. Misreported by the Press, less so.

Did anyone have Phyllis Schlafly? Eight points.

Bless her heart.

You have a more generous soul than I do, Kelly.

The only way I could respond at all was to pretend to be Southern.

Posted by Kelly:
quote:
The only way I could respond at all was to pretend to be Southern.
[Big Grin]
Ah. I totally didn't recognize the accent!!!
My bad!

[Edited for top of page]

[ 07. September 2016, 23:26: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Kudos to Kelly for finding the right tone of response for The Circus.

Speaking of Southern, The Diva, the Doll, the Grand Empress of Savannah has gone to the great cabaret

A sincere " God bless her" for that one.

[ 09. September 2016, 16:53: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

I missed that Fred Hellerman of The Weavers died 01 Sept. The last one of the group. If you don't recognize who he or The Weavers are, you do know some of their songs and bandmate Pete Seeger.

Done bin around done stayed around this old town too long. Summer's almost gone

[ 11. September 2016, 16:44: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

No need to fear Virginia, Edward Albee flies above the reach of all Tall Women.

quote:
No need to fear Virginia, Edward Albee flies above the reach of all Tall Women.

I heard him speak at our local university 10 or 12 years ago and was, I'm sorry to say, quite disappointed with him as a speaker. In fact, I dozed off.
[Hot and Hormonal]

Tragic news from the Paralympics that elite cyclist Bahman Golbarnezhad has died after a crash whilst competing.

Desmond Tutu is in the hospital again.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/17/africa/desmond-tutu-in-hospital/

quote:

[Votive]

I fervently hope he provides no points on this board.

W. P. Kinsella, who wrote the book that was filmed as "Field of Dreams," is now walking among the corn rows.

quote:
quote:

[Votive]
alas, he has been reported dead.

Posted 2 hours ago. do not rush this.

You beat me to it! I just googled "Dsmond Tutu".

I'm very glad to hear he is still with us.

Oftentimes, when people say someone is "courageous" they mean that person stood up to angry opposition, against enormous odds. That is correct, but...

When I think of Desmond Tutu being courageous, I remember a video in which he plunged into a screaming mob of people to rescue a man who was about to be murdered. A tire("necklace") had been put around his neck and was to be lighted with gasoline.

The crowd could just as easily turned on Tutu as well. But he saved a man's life, at the risk of his own. That takes a lot of guts.

Get well, Archbishop.

He is an amazing man. All that he's been through, and he still maintains his delightful sense of humor.

[Axe murder]

Back when I was a small child (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) I remember my father watching golf on television* and Arnold Palmer was one of the major players. He has died at 87. His other claim to fame was a drink named for him.

*Watching golf on television has got to be the MOST boring thing imaginable!

quote:

Tied with cricket.

quote:
quote:

Tied with cricket.
Any sport is boring if you don't understand it and that usually means that you must have played it, if only at a recreational level. If you don't understand it then you can't appreciate the link beteen effort and outcome and it's fair to say that in golf and cricket the link is often subtle.

Anyway, back to the main man: I first became aware of golf in he late sixties when Gary Player and the new kid on the block one Jack Nicklaus formed a trinity with Arnie - anyone getting amongst them in a major could feel proud. I always felt Arnold Palmer was the leader.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Tied with cricket.
Any sport is boring if you don't understand it and that usually means that you must have played it, if only at a recreational level. If you don't understand it then you can't appreciate the link beteen effort and outcome and it's fair to say that in golf and cricket the link is often subtle.

What's there to understand about golf? (I have played it.) You hit a ball with a stick until it goes into a hole and repeat 17 more times. The only thing more boring than playing it is watching it.
[Snore]

Cricket is certainly a game that has to be understood to be enjoyed... but understanding it is impossible, especially for most Americans.
[Razz]

quote:
quote:
quote:

Tied with cricket.
Any sport is boring if you don't understand it
Playing and watching are two different things.
And one can understand a sport and still find it boring. Freddy Flintoff said he thought cricket was boring and he bloody brilliant at it.

Former Israeli PM and president Shimon Peres has died aged 93.

Sir Neville Marriner has died.

The real day the music dies.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37535272

quote:
Sir Neville Marriner has died.

[Votive]

Rod Temperton now finds Sweet Freedom.

He won't be on anyone's list, but one of Scotland's finest musicians, Angus Grant from Shooglenifty, has died aged 49.

Heartbroken [Waterworks]

I think Leorning Cniht has picked up 12 points for the passing of the king of Thailand, Bhumibol Adulyadej after 70 years of rule.

I had King Bhumibol as well. I told you picking despots was starting to pay off . [Snigger]

I've not given any scores updates for a while so here goes.

Since my last report we have lost seven names on our lists: Jenny Diski, Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour, Muhammed Ali, Caroline Aherne, Elie Wiesel, Islam Karimov & King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Twenty one Shipmates have yet to score and of the twenty who have, top of the tree is Gwai on 84 points with jedijudy & Cottontail joint second on 80.

Gwai and Light User share the lead for "Quantity Not Quality" with three each. Loads of people are on two.

Gwai really owns this game because she also has top spot in the "Why Does It Always Happen To Me?" category. Her two points are one ahead of Piglet and me.

Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour, apart from having a ridiculously long name, is giving some uncertainty because his date of birth isn't certain. I have used 1/1/68 for 52 points but it could be as early as 1963. Two shipmates are affected but neither are on the podium so they wouldn't fall off it if his date of birth is less kind.

Full points to follow in a bit.

1: Gwai 84 points (Harper Lee, Muhammed Ali & Martin Crowe)
2: Cottontail 80 points (Muhammed Ali & Rob Ford)
2: jedijudy 80 points (Muhammed Ali & Rob Ford)
4: Light User 75 points (Eric Lubbock, Howard Marks & Jenny Diski)
5: North East Quine 58 points (Muhammed Ali & Johan Cruyf)
6: Pomona 54 points (Nancy Reagan & Caroline Aherne)
7: Cod 52 points (Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour)
7: An die Freude 52 points (Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour)
9: Spike 48 points (Caroline Aherne)
10: Sandemaniac 47 points (Martin Crowe)
11: Leorning Chiht 38 points (Muhammed Ali & King Bhumibol Adulyadej)
12: la vie en rouge 34 points (King Bhumibol Adulyadej & Islam Karimov)
13: Tree Bee 30 points (Howard Marks)
14: Auntie Doris 26 points (Muhammed Ali)
14: Mamacita 26 points (Muhammed Ali)
14: St. Glwadys 26 points (Muhammed Ali)
17: balaam 15 points (Ronnie Cornett)
18: The Rogue 13 points (Elie Wiesel)
19: Kyzyl 11 points (Harper Lee)
19: Sipech 11 points (Harper Lee)

ETA Apologies that there has been six months since the last update: I will try to do the next one a bit sooner.

[ 15. October 2016, 21:50: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

It looks like being another year of abject failure on my part [Waterworks]

I believe that's another year of the Kiss of Life™, Wodders! [Axe murder]

I can't believe that it looks like I will have kept all the Kardashians and their hangers-on alive for another year.

Like Norway in the Eurovision Song Contest, it looks as if I'm heading for nul points too.

Oh well, there's always next year.

By the way, did anyone have Jean Alexander, better known as Hilda Ogden from Coronation Street and Auntie Wainwright from Last of the Summer Wine?

So I'm propping up the table. The Sunderland of death pickers.

Is it really bad that I have a draft list for next year? I got bored one afternoon and just started jotting down names.

Some of us are in a lower division.

I keep a list with possibilities on all year.

Steve Dillon , comic books artist on Hellblazer, Punisher and co-creator of Preacher, has died. Far too young. So sad.

Jimmy Perry - one of the great comedy writers - has died. Dad's Army is one of his best known creations, but there were other series as well. It ain't half hot mum was one of my favourites (although I accept that it was politically somewhat racist).

I don't know what is happening this year. From last year when 2 pople who I'd dropped from my 2014 list died I believed I provided the Kiss of Life.

Sadly for Ronnie Corbett I seem to have lost my touch.

Longtime Progressive Activist Tom Hayden Dies At 76.

[Votive]

Pete Burns of the band Dead or Alive has transitioned from the latter to the former.

Sherri S.Tepper , veteran SF writer of 'Grass' and 'The Gate to Women's Country', has died.

I'm starting to worry that the Grim Reaper is working his way along my bookshelf. [Frown]

As has been noted elsewhere, Jack Chick has died. And facing the truth of how twisted his view was.

Now Bobby Vee has sung his last.

Okay, this is...eerie.

A couple of minustes ago, on a total whim, I decided to check if John Zacherle was still alive. Check the time and date of his departure.

I only knew him from hearing his novelty song Dinner With Drac on one of those compilation albums, and from a few You Tube videos I found while researching the song on a nostalgia kick. I gather he more or less invented the standard persona of the late-night horror movie host.

Rest in peace, Zacherle. His Chiller Theater was mandatory Saturday night TV watching when I was in high school.

Janet Reno, the first female U.S. attorney general, won't live to see our first female President.

We have lost Sir Jimmy Young, the man who stood for everything good about BBC Radio 2. He set a very high standard, especially for his lunchtime interview and phone-in show, when all sorts of crackpots called in, and his successors haven't come near. The BBC dismissed him from his day job at 80, for which he eventually forgave them.

Oh, and he had Top 10 hits back in the 1950's, including two number ones.

You'll get five points if you had him on your list.

And we have also lost another Radio 2 favourite - the Old Woman.

Does anyone have Common Sense, Democracy or Hope? All three seem to have finally breathed their last.

Given the way this year is going, I wouldn't be surprised if it climaxes with David Attenborough, Mary Berry, Andy Murray and the Queen dying in a 4-way head-on car crash.

Presumably the Queen's chauffeur and footman would survive? Seems unfair to include them.

quote:
Does anyone have Common Sense, Democracy or Hope? All three seem to have finally breathed their last.

How would you determine their ages?

No more encores of Suzanne everyone. Leonard Cohen has died at 82.

Posted by Jamat (# 11621) on :

quote:

Democracy is comin..
To the USA!

[ 11. November 2016, 02:33: Message edited by: Jamat ]

And Napoleon Solo has died. So U.N.C.L.E. cannot save us.

quote:

And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

quote:
And Napoleon Solo has died. So U.N.C.L.E. cannot save us.

More importantly, the last of the Magnificent Seven is no more.

Now Leon Russell has died aged 74.
I had him on my list a while ago, but not this year.

quote:
Now Leon Russell has died aged 74.
I had him on my list a while ago, but not this year.

Sad but inevitable in a way. In his earlier days he was the twin of my brother, who died earlier this year.

RIP Leon: you can accompany Joe Cocker in Heaven's everlasting Rock Festival.

Gwen Ifill is reporting the news to the angels, now. [Tear]

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

William Trevor has died. A very fine writer.

Maybe not hugely well know but Craig Gill had died. He was the drummer with Inspiral Carpets, who had some fantastic songs, including This is How it Feels, which still blows me away.

He was only 44.

Florence Henderson has joined the Heavenly Bunch.

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

BBC is saying Fidel Castro has died.

Since they posted that 3 minutes ago, maybe it would be good to confirm it.

WaPo is saying the same thing.

Fidel Castro would be the fourth from Gwai's list this year. Is that a record? I don't recall anyone getting four in any previous years.

Ten points for five people.

Another despot bites the dust [Snigger] I knew this was going to pay off sooner or later.

(I got four a few years back)

I play on another board, and one player, the lead, has had nine out of their thirteen die. Now that's creepy.

They didn't pick Fidel though.

I have a feeling I might have had him in previous years*, but not this year. Does that mean I killed him? [Paranoid]

* probably on my "isn't he dead yet?" list

As mentioned in All Saints, Ron glass - Shepherd Book in Firefly - has died.

A fantastic example of Christian presence in the real world.

quote:
As mentioned in All Saints, Ron Glass - Shepherd Book in Firefly - has died.

According to Wikipedia, he was a Buddhist.
[Confused]

quote:
quote:

[Confused]

His character I mean, whose faith was never defined. But he was an example of how to be spiritual in the fact of difficult circumstances.

My bad - I expressed this badly.

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

His character I mean, whose faith was never defined. But he was an example of how to be spiritual in the fact of difficult circumstances.

I only knew him from Barney Miller -- I'm not familiar with Firefly.

I'm rather bummed that Ron Glass has died. I loved his character on Barney Miller. And I saw him in a few other things, although not Firefly.

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

From one of the episodes:

quote:
Zoë (on seeing Book grab a shotgun): Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killin'?
Book: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Always loved that line. Ron Glass played the part so well. RIP.

"I'm not familiar with Firefly". You are dead to me. Dead, you hear?

Hedgehog - probably his best line. His was one of the stories that I really missed getting fully explored and understood. I think this represents a person with a deep spirituality, but who also knew how to handle a gun, was not scared by the gritty real world. I don't think he ever sold out to either side.

Grant Tinker has died. He was the producer of many good and/or great TV series over the years. And, when head of NBC, he showed patience with series--even if they started with low ratings (such as "Cheers" and "Hill Street Blues"), if the concept was good he would give the series time to find its audience. As I have had many favorite series get summarily cancelled over the years, I appreciated his approach.

When will the 2017 game start? I love the morbidness! I've run death pools on two other boards and it's a blast!

I can speak English. I learn it from a book.

Thank you for the laughs, Andrew Sachs.

quote:
I can speak English. I learn it from a book.

Thank you for the laughs, Andrew Sachs.

Oh no! Some of his skits could have me ROTFLMAO.

[Tear]

A real loss. He was awesome as Manuel, of course, but he also did lots of voiceover work (which he was excellent at). When you hear that work, you realise just how hard he was working for Manuel.

Que?

RIP Manuel. [Tear]

There was a big article about him in our newspaper today. Apparently, he died late November, but his funeral was this week

Posted by Teekeey Misha (# 18604) on :

Since we're into Advent, shouldn't the 2017 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool be launching right about now? I'm concerned that my preferred candidates... umm I mean... "selections" might opt out before I get them in!

I know nothing.

Yeah, it probably should. Time to pull out your lists of vile terrorists and celebrity gossip!

What's the score by the way?

In the interest of settling this in the... appropriate way, may I point out that Mullah Akhtar Mansour is now widely considered dead, including by Wikipedia. Wikipedia holds his birth year as being circa 1968.

May I also plead the case that Mokhtar Belmokhtar scorewise be included in this year's reapings, as he was only removed from the U.S. Justice Dept.'s Rewards for Justice list in January this year, thus confirming his death which may or may not (with admittedly a heavy lean to the former [Biased] ) have occured in 2015? As he was suspected to have died in 2015 but without a confirmation, putting him on my 2016 list was apparently allowed. What would our eminent judge say on a special case such as this?

(What do you mean this is a blatant, overly competitive call-out for more points in a silly game on a website for faith and humour? All I want is a little bit of justice! [Razz] )

I think from previous years, you are allowed to have any one who is not confirmed dead. However, the actual date/year of death is what is taken, when sufficient evidence its identified.

In the name of Justice, of course.

For another example Raoul Wallenberg who was widely believed to have died somewhere in the 50s, has just had his death confirmed and listed as 1952, per The Economist who ran an obituary on him a few weeks back.

quote:
Originally posted by An die Freude:
What's the score by the way?

Well, I've got zero. It isn't competitive, but it is easy to keep track of.

quote:
For another example Raoul Wallenberg who was widely believed to have died somewhere in the 50s, has just had his death confirmed and listed as 1952, per The Economist who ran an obituary on him a few weeks back.

Wouldn't have given you many points though... (Wallenberg was born in 1912.)

The Green Hornet has stung his last villain.

Peter Vaughan (aka Grouty, from Porridge) has now served his life sentence.

[ 06. December 2016, 12:33: Message edited by: Sipech ]

The Voice of Lord's (Johnny Dennis) has been silenced.

Helen Roseveare has died. I hadn't realised she was still alive. I read "Give Me This Mountain" when I was a very new Christian in my teens.

The Emerson Lake & Palmer reunion is looking increasingly threadbare.

Random observation - apparently Emerson was a huge Bonzo Dog Band fan, and was on the same physical mailing list as me until he died.

AG

I love "I believe in Father Christmas", although it must be the most cynical Christmas song ever.

quote:
I love "I believe in Father Christmas", although it must be the most cynical Christmas song ever.

It is one of the vanishingly few Christmas songs I can listen to. Although I think Fairytale might beat it for cynicism.

5 points for anyone who had John Glenn.

Sipech - do you have this thread open permanently to get this? I was just coming to post this.

It is easy to forget how brave the earlier astronauts were. And for Glenn, how much he has continued to serve his country since.

Ha! No. I was just looking at Twitter, checked here to see if anyone had posted and then verified there were multiple news outlets reporting it.

quote:
I love "I believe in Father Christmas" ...

Me too - I wonder if it means there'll actually be a decent song at No. 1 in the Christmas charts this year?

Of course, this is assuming the "charts" still exist - I haven't really taken much notice of them since Freddie Mercury died ...

... in 1991. I'm getting old. [Frown]

Despite being contemporary with God I'd never heard I believe in Father Christmas until this thread - I watched it on youtube and was wildly impressed. How did I miss that back then?

Or had I just forgotten it?

quote:
5 points for anyone who had John Glenn.

I was about to just copy/paste my 2016 list into the 2017 game, and only just realised that I had him for this year

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Despite being contemporary with God I'd never heard I believe in Father Christmas until this thread - I watched it on youtube and was wildly impressed. How did I miss that back then?

Or had I just forgotten it?

It doesn't get as much play as it deserves. Those who want a cynical Christmassy song play Fairytale. Those who want traditional drivel play Slade etc. It falls outside the normal fare.

[tangent]
I'd be happy with a bit of Slade etc. (or Fairytale of New York for that matter) - at least it'd offer a nostalgia-fest. The muzak you get in shopping centres and whatnot here coming up to Christmas is mostly ghastly American tat like I saw Mummy kissing Santa Claus and hideous, out-of-tune Bing Crosby.
[Projectile]
[/tangent OFF]

[ 10. December 2016, 02:12: Message edited by: Piglet ]

AA Gill has died; that was quick!
(Amending my 2017 list)

An area of depression is settling over the UK, with icy feelings towards 2016, as its storms have claimed another victim: Ian McCaskill.

I'm pretty sure that nobody had her on their list, but singer Esma Redzepova has died at the age of 73. I was lucky enough to see her perform live twice, once in Glasgow, and also at the most extraordinary gig in Sibiu, Romania, when I was living there, when her band was Romanian gypsy band Fanfare Ciocarlia. I think I'd go so far as to say it was the best gig I've ever been to, it was wonderful.

She was a fascinating character - a fabulous ambassador for eastern European gypsy music, and she also fostered 47 children. I am so sad that she has died.

quote:
An area of depression is settling over the UK, with icy feelings towards 2016, as its storms have claimed another victim: Ian McCaskill.

For heaven's sake, 2016, haven't you claimed enough national treasures?

RIP Mr. McCaskill. [Frown]

...and Shergar's jockey, Walter Swinburn joins his mount at Elvis's pad on the moon.

AG

Posted by Teekeey Misha (# 18604) on :

...and James, Lord Prior, last of the Tory Wets died today aged 89.

E. R. Braithwaite, a Guyanese author, diplomat and former Royal Air Force pilot whose book “To Sir, With Love,” a memoir of teaching in London’s deprived East End, was adapted into a hit 1967 film starring Sidney Poitier, died on Monday in Rockville, Md. He was 104!

(I enjoyed the movie and sought out the book, which I liked even better.)

And...

Alan Thicke, Canadian singer, songwriter and actor best remembered for his portrayal of a father on the television sitcom “Growing Pains,” died on Tuesday. He was 69.

Bishop Javier Echevarría, the last of the original generation of clerics to lead Opus Dei, died on Monday in Rome at 84.

Dr. Henry Heimlich, developer of the famous life-saving technique (which he used to save the life of a fellow resident of his retirement home last May) has died at 96.

As a Heimlich recipient, I think I'm getting a bit choked up about that one.

I remember the news stories when he saved a fellow patient, and thought he seemed like a wonderful gentleman. And one who has helped save countless lives.

RIP Henry.

Anyone squeak a late point for Zsa Zsa Gabor?

AG

Nobody guessed her this year. Not enough return on investment, I suppose.

I have/had her for 2017, since I was going for the most deaths, not the most points.

Over in the 2017 thread I have replaced her.

One of my old mentors (who taught me a lot about the evolution of marriage in early Judaism), Rabbi Lionel Blue has died, aged 86.

RIP you kind, gentle soul. [Tear] [Votive]

Sad about Rabbi Blue, I used to enjoy his spots on R4's Thought For the Day.

He was in my team this year. Is there a scoreboard for this game?

Another Rock god, Rick Parfitt has died.
Rearranging my 2017 list again...

Rick Parfitt was a personal legend although YMMV. I saw their first ever farewell tour in 1984. It was easily my favourite concert I have been to.

Another one I took off. Sigh.

There's a talent in being a really good rhythm guitaist, Rick Parfitt had that talent.

2016, will you knock it off, can we have just one week without losing someone really talented?

quote:
... 2016, will you knock it off, can we have just one week without losing someone really talented?

What Balaam said.

RIP Mr. Parfitt - you always looked as though you enjoyed every minute of what you did.

I heard rumours George Michael has died.

I am secretly hoping it's a Facebook fake news story.

Auntie Doris x

Confirmed on the BBC. Last Christmas takes on a whole new meaning.

Yup - bloody 2016 strikes again.

RIP. [Frown]

It seems that the challenge this year is not so much having a team as getting all your 2017 nominees to the end of 2016 alive...

AG

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

so glad I'm not famous!

The Freddie Mercury tribute concert being bandied about now as one of George Michael's finest moments is 25 years ago this coming April. [Eek!]

On another note, I'm trylng to remember if the pop culture generation of the 40's was dying off in the 70's like the 80's seems to be doing now. I should start mining my memories for next year's game.

I've just read through this thread and am now very depressed. [Waterworks]

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Time for my once a year post...

1. Ken Dodd
2. Prince Philip
3. Dick Van Dyke
4. Michael J Fox
5. Kanye West (if only)
6. Lesley Phillips
7. Fidel Castro
8. George Michael
9. Miley Cyrus
10. Murray Walker
11. Billy Graham
12. Muhammad Ali
13. George Bush Snr

Auntie Doris x

Blimey! Didn't realise I had George Michael on my list!

Auntie Doris x

Very sad about George Michael. Took him off my list last year.
(The two things aren't related.)
[Frown]

... I'm never going to dance again ...

quote:
It seems that the challenge this year is not so much having a team as getting all your 2017 nominees to the end of 2016 alive...

AG

I am not certain, but I think I am managing this. So far.

quote:
Very sad about George Michael. Took him off my list last year.
(The two things aren't related.)
[Frown]

So you say.

2016 doesn't appear to be finished yet.

Actress Liz Smith, who played the organist and baker of eccentric cakes in The Vicar of Dibley has died aged 95.

And Richard Adams.

They let her go.

Carrie Fisher, age 60. Actor, novelist, hero

And Carrie Fisher - I went to read the Richard Adams story and the Carrie Fisher story was breaking

quote:
They let her go.

Carrie Fisher, age 60. Actor, novelist, hero

Rewriting my 2017 list yet again. [Frown]

I'm so sorry. She was amazing.

In my view an absolute star in The Force Awakens and happy to laugh at herself in The Big Bang Theory.

Princess Leia Organa if the first Disney Princess I am am sorry to see go.

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

RIP Carrie Fisher. No words. Just so sad.

[Waterworks]
I hope Carrie Fisher finds the peace and joy in Heaven that she lacked on Earth. RIP, Princess Leia. [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

For anyone thinking it's only the arts that are being hit hard: Vera Rubin pioneering astrophysicist, and advocate for women in scientific careers, has died.

Respect. [Overused]

Carrie Fisher - when I last looked, she seemed like she might recover.

Really sad. I saw her on the Last Leg recently, and she was awesome. Wonderful woman, inspiring and engaging. Irrespective of her particular star role.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Meanwhile, Anne Hathaway knocks it out of the park--quote:

“We have had to mourn so many legends this year…Remember, their light can never go out if it helped you find your own.”

[Eek!] [Waterworks] Oh, my gosh.
I hope 2017 isn't a continuation of this year's very bad, horrible death count. [Votive]

And if your mind can't help but wander to other choices 2016 didn't deem worthy of consideration, let me hand a recent discovery to covert revolutionaries-- you can totally google "Cheeto voodoo doll", get fairly predictable results, and avoid any bothersome search term algorithms that might garner you special attention.

Just to be safe. [Big Grin]

This is getting really depressing.

Now Debbie Reynolds has died, barely a day after her daughter.

quote:
Oh, my gosh.
I hope 2017 isn't a continuation of this year's very bad, horrible death count.

It will continue to increase over the next few years until there are no talented people left.

The X Factor remains unchanged.

If anyone had this chap I think they should get extra points.

quote:
If anyone had this chap I think they should get extra points.

That's probably worthy of a Darwin award nomination, although they'll probably not take it due to the involvement of a child. Also, what a shitty thing to do to the poor kid.

But it goes to prove the existence of God.

And that's a wrap, folks.

If they ain't dead now, it ain't doin' you a lick o' good.

I will take a few days to make sure that nobody has died without people realising it at first and publish the results next weekend.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
And that's a wrap, folks.

If they ain't dead now, it ain't doin' you a lick o' good.

Not quite.

William Christopher, who played the priest in the TV series M*A*S*H died on New Tears Eve2016. Exactly one year after the death of Wayne Rogers who played Trapper John in the same series.

Here is a link for William Christopher.

Finally the final scores.

Since my last report in October we have lost four more celebrities from our lists. They are (were?) Fidel Castro, Rabbi Lionel Blue, George Michael & Carrie Fisher.

Of the forty one shipmate entries twenty one scored in 2016 and in an exciting last minute (ish) lunge the winner of the main title is Pomona with 101 points thanks to George Michael. Gwai is second and Light User third.

Gwai & Light User share the Quantity not Quality award with four each. Pomona, Auntie Doris and la vie en rouge scored three.

Light User is confirmed as having the Inside Track With the Grim Reaper for Eric Lubbock.

balaam gets the Sudden Death award for Carrie Fisher.

Finally Gwai & piglet share the Why Does it Always Happen to Me? award with two points.

Congratulations to all the successful death-pickers. Please feel free to brag at the next funeral you attend.

Full results to follow sometime over the weekend.

And thank you for keeping score and keeping track! Excellent work!

quote:
... Gwai & piglet share the Why Does it Always Happen to Me? award with two points ...

That'll be the wooden spoon, then? [Big Grin]

The 2016 scores in full.

1: Pomona 101 points (Nancy Reagan, George Michael & Caroline Aherne)
2: Gwai 94 points (Harper Lee, Fidel Castro, Muhammed Ali & Martin Crowe)
3: Light User 89 points (Lionel Blue, Eric Lubbock, Howard Marks & Jenny Diski)
4: Auntie Doris 83 points (Fidel Castro, Muhammed Ali & George Michael)
=5: jedijudy 80 points (Muhammed Ali & Rob Ford)
=5: Cottontail 80 points (Muhammed Ali & Rob Ford)
7: North East Quine 58 points (Muhammed Ali & Johan Cruyff)
8: balaam 55 points (Ronnie Corbett & Carrie Fisher)
=9: An die Freude 52 points (Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour)
=9: Cod (Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour)
11: Spike 48 points (Caroline Aherne)
12: Sandemaniac 47 points (Martin Crowe)
13: la vie en rouge 44 points (Fidel Castro, King Bhumibol Adultadej & Islam Karimov)
14: Leorning Cniht 38 points (King Bhumibol Adultadej & Muhammed Ali)
15: Tree Bee 30 points (Howard Marks)
=16: St. Gwladis 26 points (Muhammed Ali)
=16: Mamacita 26 points (Muhammed Ali)
18: Kyzyl 21 points (Harper Lee & Fidel Castro)
19: The Rogue 13 points (Elie Wiesel)
20: Sipech 11 points (Harper Lee)
21: Lyda*Rose 10 points (Fidel Castro)
=22: Everyone else 0 points.

Please let me know of any errors and/or corrections.

© Ship of Fools 2016