Thread: Millennials and the Church Board: Purgatory / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020031

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

I came across this very interesting survey that shows promise for the church and the Next Generation (as the survey describes them). Some of the info is mundane, but the last part of the survey has what millennials want in a church. Primary, preach the gospel and be authentic. Interesting read. I think evangelism committees should look at it.

Link.

(Gramps - please remember to use tinyurl or similar when posting links with very long addresses. Also, please check whether a link is working without busting scroll locks before you post. Thanks B62)

[ 23. December 2016, 19:24: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

Millennials are over church.

Posted by Mark Wuntoo (# 5673) on :

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gramps49:
I came across this very interesting survey that shows promise for the church

I don't agree. It may show promise for those already committed to a certain type of church / christianity. Martin60's post has a link which shows that the majority of millenials have little or no interest in the church, full stop.

So: and the Next Generation doesn't follow.

the last part of the survey has what millennials want in a church. Nope, it shows what those millenials already committed to the church want. It's clear to me that the small target group probably were found amongst people already known to the researchers (in kind if not personally).

That's how I read the survey.

PS And it ain't only millenials who have no interest. [Devil]

Posted by anteater (# 11435) on :

Can someone explain what millenials are, in such a way as to clarify why it makes sense viewing them as a group with a coherent attitude?

quote:
Originally posted by anteater:
Can someone explain what millenials are, in such a way as to clarify why it makes sense viewing them as a group with a coherent attitude?

Easy to answer the first part of your question, as I'm sure you know. The second part is impossible to answer and points to the futility of such surveys.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

If you want to reach the lost, and there is this big group of unchurched people with many things in common, it might behoove one to find out something about what they have in common and how one might present the gospel to them. This doesn't seem like rocket surgery to me.

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

quote:
Originally posted by anteater:

The generation born roughly between the early 80s and the year 2000, give or take.

As for why it makes sense to view them as having a coherent attitude, well, obviously, there are no ironclad rules for how everyone in a cohort is going to think. But I think anyone who is being honest would have to say that there are obsersvable trends that distinguish one generation from another.

So, for example, if someone were to ask "Which group has more people who would be interested in downloading a prayer app for their cell phone, people born in the 1930s or people born in the 1990s?", without even taking a survey, I would confidently predict the latter. That's an extreme juxtaposiiton, but you get my point.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Is there a kindly Host or someone who can reduce the length of the link in the OP, so that it fits on the screen....??

[Roll Eyes]

IJ

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Churches have a bad name for the Millenials of my family. Because they are mostly anti things. Like cohabitation, gender equality, support for the rich vs poor. And seem bent on dismantling all of the principles of the Founder. While they fundraise for building maintenance.

(I think I represented it as told me earlier in the week. One of them miraculously agreed to attend lessons and carols. Later asked why some of the readings are gibberish. And we laughed together about that. "First there was the Word..." We agree organs are pretty cool. )

[ 23. December 2016, 17:43: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

Posted by anteater (# 11435) on :

I think a probable reason for the turning away is down to the education system, and here we have a lot to learn from the RCC that has always seen the importance of education and establishing schools.

The reason? Most people will take seriously what they have been taught, unless very badly taught, and even if they reject it, they will know something about it, and it is part of there inheritance from society of "things to know". So, in those countries (I was told this by a Finn, but this is going back some years) if the school system re-iterates the value of an equal society, the importance of public services etc etc, it is much more likely that those who grow up under it will have a different attitude to those raised in a very individualist societies, where paying tax is for the birds and getting to the top of the tree is the "sole aim of man".

But here's the problem. So much of what constitutes orthodox christianity is legitimately debatable and not supported by a majority, that those who would attack indoctrination in state schools will have a strong point. The same is arguably true of instilling social democrat principles. It only works so long as the majority are behind it.

So we are probably seeing the end of those with some connection to christianity, and it is not so much rejection as ignorance.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Busted scroll fixed. A brief reminder to all: please check the length of links - or any odd characters in the link - and if necessary use tinyurl to provide a shorter working link address.

B62, Purg Host

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
If you want to reach the lost, and there is this big group of unchurched people with many things in common, it might behoove one to find out something about what they have in common and how one might present the gospel to them. This doesn't seem like rocket surgery to me.

It might help (might!) if we were not referred to as 'the lost'. Even if talking amongst yourselves, we hear. Some of us feel that we have become 'the found'.
And I seriously doubt that there is much that so many have in common which can be addressed by 'the gospel' to which our ears are deaf.
Yes, I value some link, however slight, to 'church' but any sense of someone trying to tempt me back to faith will fail.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

As the survey,

a. starts off with the phrase,
"The facilitation of a pioneering gift or entrepreneurial grace upon
millennials.".
I've no idea what that means. And

b. not only didn't survey my country, but the nearest country it did include is 1,000 miles away from it,

c. ends with bland or meaningless recommendations like,
"Create leadership incubators and accelerators for NextGen leaders in strategic regional locations". And

I've written off the survey. That may be unfair, but if so, so be it.

Pity, as this is one of the most important issues we face.

Posted by TurquoiseTastic (# 8978) on :

It is indeed striking that no country in Western Europe was surveyed. Perhaps we have been written off as a bad job?

Posted by TurquoiseTastic (# 8978) on :

Looking at it a bit more closely, this document is not really at all to do with drawing in the unchurched but about developing young church leaders. So we shouldn't really be surprised that it doesn't address the (totally different) question we seem to be discussing on this thread.

I refuse to accept that the next gen, or millennials, have totally given up on the church. Nor do I accept the millennials are lost. We have a sizable group of millennials in our congregation and we are not doing anything special to attract them.

We have found it is very important for them to be included in all aspects of the church. This next year we will have three millennials on the church council. One other person, an electrical engineer will be leading a task force looking at installing solar panels on the building.

The four key points I took away from the survey was:

Turn up the heat! Preach the Gospel

In our congregation, we have moved away from an Augustinian view of the Gospel to more to a Pelagian understanding of the Gospel.

Model a Gospel-Centered lifestyle in our community.

Again, in our congregation we are a Reconciling in Christ body, meanining we accept LGBTQ people without question. Last year, about this time, we had a visitor who had been kicked out of a Mormon university because he was seen holding hands with his male lover. He told me when he saw that we were open and affirming he decided to give the church one more chance. He is now considering becoming a minister.

Give us a voice Let us communicate the Gospel in ways that are more effective in reaching millennials.

There is no better way in reaching millennials than having mmillennials lead the way. That is why 1/3 of our church council are millennials. They are coming up with ways that are working.

Open the doors. . .

If we discover a door we work to open it quickly.

This stuff works. While it is looking at future leaders in the church, it also matches nearly every other survey I have seen about millennials and the church.

Yes, the survey admits it did not have good results in Europe. It had hoped to survey about 5,000 millennials and only had 400. A statistician can question its validity. But it hopes future surveys will address this survey's shortcoming.

We

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

My granddaughters and their partners are millennials (although they do not refer to themselves as such as far as I know!) but they are non-believers as are quite a few of their friends. (I was going to say 'most of their friends', but I'd have to check about that with them first.)

I wonder how millennials who are God-believing reconcile their beliefs which are based on faith without objective (etc etc) evidence with the knowledge-based scientific and technological world they inhab it and, sensibly, take for granted? Why would they accept the beliefs and stories of nearly 2,000 years ago over the up-to-date understanding of the facts?

Posted by TomM (# 4618) on :

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
My granddaughters and their partners are millennials (although they do not refer to themselves as such as far as I know!) but they are non-believers as are quite a few of their friends. (I was going to say 'most of their friends', but I'd have to check about that with them first.)

I wonder how millennials who are God-believing reconcile their beliefs which are based on faith without objective (etc etc) evidence with the knowledge-based scientific and technological world they inhab it and, sensibly, take for granted? Why would they accept the beliefs and stories of nearly 2,000 years ago over the up-to-date understanding of the facts?

I don't know whether I count as a Millennial or not. But I can't be far off - how are we defining the term?

My suspicion is that such a limited rationalistic view of the world is actually far more the preserve of those older than me. The strident atheists are far more common amongst the generation of Dawkins and the like. Though if anyone does want to offer an exclusively objective presentation on how love works, or beauty, or joy, then I'm listening. After all a kiss is rather more than just the exchange of saliva!

There is a vision of something deeper within many younger people, it may not be something they express in the language of traditional religion - and those of us who speak that language too well may be trapped by that - but it is there. The question of authenticity looms large. He may have written it before I was born, but I think Alasdair MacIntyre was right, 'We are not waiting for Godot, but for another - doubtless very different - St. Benedict.' (The quotation is the concluding sentence of his After Virtue)

Some Christians find it difficult to accept or understand that people outside of the church can be deeply spiritual. And rational!
And I do wish people wouldn't suggest that atheists are usually 'strident'.
One member of my family who is 'atheist' is a deeply spiritual person. He attended Mrs Wuntoo's church for the annual carol service in support of other members of the family who were taking a prominant role (including this 'atheist'). He was very deeply moved by the playing of a trumpet solo whilst a video clip of the wise men travelling was being shown. He's not a millenial but the trumpet player (another non-attender) is.
Doesn't prove anything, of course.

Based on recent surveys, many folks find God improbable because of the global evidence of suffering on a large scale, particularly of innocents. The world gives ample evidence that 'no Good God is sovereign over it'.

So belief in God is seen as superstitious weakness by many people and, given the more extreme actions of various people's of faith, faith-based beliefs are increasingly seen as doing more harm than good.

It's a two stage process. God gets blamed out of existence because of suffering and His followers get blamed for causing much of the suffering.

Actually, it is a classic example of scapegoating thinking. What's wrong with the world? We are pretty reluctant to start with the G K Chesterton answer. 'I am'. Since that implies that there may actually be profound truth in the religious beliefs that human selfishness is at the heart of much of the wrongness in the world.

That doesn't answer all the questions but at least it opens the door to the possibility that the challenge to set aside human selfishness may actually be a major component of the solution.

That scapegoats us.

Posted by TomM (# 4618) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wuntoo:
Some Christians find it difficult to accept or understand that people outside of the church can be deeply spiritual. And rational!
One member of my family who is 'atheist' is a deeply spiritual person. He attended Mrs Wuntoo's church for the annual carol service in support of other members of the family who were taking a prominant role (including this 'atheist'). He was very deeply moved by the playing of a trumpet solo whilst a video clip of the wise men travelling was being shown. He's not a millenial but the trumpet player (another non-attender) is.

My apologies - my intent with the word 'strident' was to separate a particular group of atheists of particular mindset, in much the same way as I would identify a particular group of 'fundamentalist Christians'. In both cases I'd suggest the adjective considerably separates those it identifies from the majority of those to whom the noun applies!

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
That scapegoats us.

Not if you accept the basic 'I am' premise. It is possible to identify scapegoating as a process that all of us are in danger of using against anyone else. 'I am' is a good antidote. 'You are' isn't.

quote:

That last sentence is true of course - scientists will always acknowledge that the word proof does not mean 100% proved - but what you have said in that post definitely needs saying. I mention occasionally, not just here, that the word 'spiritual' is not for the exclusive use of believers!

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Equally, I think many people outside the church think of churches, with their flower rotas and the like, as deeply unspiritual.

The charm of the Christian faith - expressed supremely in Jesus, of course - is that it conjoins the mundane and the supernatural. It is not an escapist faith.

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Based on recent surveys, many folks find God improbable because of the global evidence of suffering on a large scale, particularly of innocents. The world gives ample evidence that 'no Good God is sovereign over it'.

So belief in God is seen as superstitious weakness by many people ...

Yes, and I think that is unfair. The beliefs, traditions and rituals of religions have been so much a part of life for thousands of years, that for people to move away from that to having the confidence to see them as, in fact, superstition isn't going to happen in a hurry.
I very much like your post.

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

In the British case, most millennials have had very little if any exposure to the church and would neither expect nor be expected to be involved with church life.

These people represent one stage in the generational decline of institutional religion in Britain, being less religious than their parents, who were in turn less religious than their parents. Two Christian parents have about a 50/50 chance of transmitting the faith to their children, while the non-religious tend to transmit their own world view more successfully.

The situation is obviously hugely difficult for the British churches, many of which at some point soon will face large scale closures. In many churches (especially outside London and outside some well-heeled suburbs), millennials are simply not there, and neither is there an awareness of how to reach them. Church culture and Christianity itself simply come across as alien - although aspects of Christian spirituality (i.e. music, candles, old church buildings, crucifixes on chains, angels, etc.) might be vaguely appealing in an occasional, postmodern way.

Peter Brierley makes some interesting comments about the kinds of millennials who have got involved with church life in recent times (see page 22+).

quote:
quote:
That scapegoats us.

Not if you accept the basic 'I am' premise. It is possible to identify scapegoating as a process that all of us are in danger of using against anyone else. 'I am' is a good antidote. 'You are' isn't.
Bugger! That means I scapegoated you!

I'm used to it. [Biased]

I hope you have a peaceful Christmas, Martin.

quote:
Because there is more to life than knowledge base science and technology. Such disciplines can explain the how of life, but they cannot explain the why of life, nor can they cannot give purpose to life.

That comes from the discipline of spirituality. I for one can agree athiests can be spiritual, and many of them find spirituality in what amounts to religous practices. In my mind, religion is a form of spirituality.

Why should one pay heed to stories that are 2,000 years old? Actually, much longer than that. Because they still have meaning today. For instance let's just take the first creation story. It affirms God was actively involved in all levels of creation. It also affirms God created out of love, and it affirms all creation is good. Other than God saying "Let there be..." it does not answer how it came into being.

Now scientific theory has shown that the development of the universe has taken billions of years. It has also given us a good idea of how life has evolved, but it does not explain why nore does it give value to the world as we know it.

Comparitive religion also helps us to understand the basic assumptions of our various cultures. Technology is not interested in our presumptions, but we use our presumptions to use technology to advance our purposes.

Science and technology are constantly changing. What we hold "true" now may be discounted twenty years from now, but many of the questions religious stories address will remain. Does that mean their answers will hold true? Maybe not. But they do give us a basis for finding the answers to the challenges of tomorrow.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:

The same way that many of the rest of us believers—including, I'd wager, most believers here on the ship—do. Gramps49 gives a good description. I'm not knocking science at all, but there are many questions in life that science simply can't answer and facets of life where science really has little of meaning to contribute, at least for my money. For me at least, those questions and facets of life tend to be the ones that matter more.

[ 24. December 2016, 19:06: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

Turn up the heat! Preach the Gospel

Yes. I just watched some of the A&E documentary about the Church of Scientology. Actress Leah Rimini and a few other ex-scientologist were trying to explain why they stayed so long in a system that was abusive and expensive even after they began to realize they had been conned. They all agreed that they found it hard to give up the main thing Scientology offered them -- certainty. I think Christians make a big mistake when they try to water down Christ's message for the young.

Twilight: -- certainty. I think Christians make a big mistake when they try to water down Christ's message for the young.

If I was a millenial I think I would find that quite patronising. As if there is no certainty outside of 'Christ's message' for 'the young'. They also might ask what this 'certainty' is.

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

quote:
Twilight: -- certainty. I think Christians make a big mistake when they try to water down Christ's message for the young.

If I was a millenial I think I would find that quite patronising. As if there is no certainty outside of 'Christ's message' for 'the young'. They also might ask what this 'certainty' is.

I think Twilight is onto something. This past month I saw a study of Canadian mainline churches that showed the more "liberal" or "progressive" ones are declining at a faster rate than the "conservative" or "orthodox" ones. If I can find a link today or tomorrow I will post it.

Honestly I think Millenials (speaking very generally) are setting themselves up for a bit of disillusionment over the next twenty years. I say this having worked and been friends with them and having observed them in real life and online.

Yes, many Millenials question much that others take for granted but then, people in general have been doing that for the past 40+ (even as reality and common sense come back and bit them in the butt.) Watering down what one believes doesn't work for Christians. I think the decline of mainline churches in the U.S. and Canada is evidence of that. I do think peoples needs and concerns have to be addressed but as as far as bringing more people to church the key isn't just entertaining questions. The key is entertaining questions and proposing answers.

[ 24. December 2016, 20:57: Message edited by: Pancho ]

Problem is what is the Gospel? There are so many heresies out there that claim to be Gospel. Joel Oesteen's message is about prosperity, but not Gospel, for instance.

For me, the Gospel centers on the humble inbreaking of God into history. It is of a commitment to social justice and care for creation. The Gospel is not about me, but the other. Not what I gain, but how others receive care.

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

Judging by the election of Donald Trump, riding on the evangelical vote, there is a large proportion of Christians who have no idea what Christ actually taught.

Check off the 7 Deadly Sins: he fulfills every one of them. But too many "church" people applauded him, and joined in on the racist, "me-first" diatribes.

Millennials see that as not living as Christians. So why should they WANT to come to church? (by extension, just about any church: every church seems to have a large share of homophobes, misogynists and outright bullies)

Whether someone subscribes to every bit of science, or every detail of the Christmas story is just about irrelevant: if you aren't pushing your church into working with "the least of these", then you aren't living out your Christian life, and you are seen as irrelevant or actively nasty.

Why should Millennials, or anyone else, want to come to meetings of an organisation that doesn't know what it is supposed to do? or that does the exact opposite of what it is supposed to do (and is probably nasty and off-putting to the very people it is trying to reach)?

Assuming that you are an unredeemable sinner because you are friendly with gays, for instance, is simply not going to work any longer. Even kids in middle school understand that.

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

Here is the blog where I saw the study I mentioned earlier: Growing Churches vs. Declining Churches: Canadian study says 'Theology Matters'.

The study itself is behind a kind of paywall but the blog highlights these bits from the study:
quote:
Focusing on 2003-2013, the researchers defined "decline" as an average loss of 2 percent of church attendees a year. "Growing" churches were gaining people in the pews at a rate of 2 percent or more. ...

Crucial findings in this study showed that, in growing churches, pastors tend to be more conservative than the people in their pews. In declining congregations, pastors are usually more theologically liberal than their people.

quote:
* Clergy in growing churches affirmed, by an overwhelming 93 percent, that Jesus rose from the dead, leaving an empty tomb, while 56 percent of clergy in declining churches agreed. Among laypeople, this divide was 83 percent vs. 67 percent.

* In growing churches, 46 percent of clergy strongly affirmed, and nearly 31 percent moderately affirmed, this statement: "Only those who believe in and follow Jesus Christ will receive eternal life." Zero pastors in declining churches affirmed that statement and 6 percent moderately agreed.

* In growing congregations, 100 percent of the clergy said it's crucial to "encourage non-Christians to become Christians," while only 50 percent of pastors in declining churches agreed.

* In declining churches, 44 percent of pastors agreed that "God performs miracles in answer to prayers," compared with 100 percent of clergy in growing congregations.

I see no reason why this would apply differently to Millenials from other Canadians.

There is the possibility that the "growing" churches preach a return to some imaginary version of the 1950's, when Everything Was Just Alright (while ignoring the huge disparities in the Western cultures). This provides a comfortable space for people who feel threatened by the world as it is. Lord knows, we all feel that need at the moment - it's just that most people don't want to be that hateful.

But the "diminishing" churches aren't offering anything but theological arguments. There nothing "there" there. If those churches started to actively DO something (not just hold whimper sessions), there would be some chance to see growth. Trouble is, most of those churches have older people, most of whom are just tired from trying everything that might help for the last generation or more, and can't get up the energy to try once more.

Neither of these churches will attract more than a smidgen of the available people (of any generation); most will find other things to do, such as the work of helping other people without needing a church to validate that they are doing the Right Thing.

Tangent, relating back to my earlier post: I checked in on the "Homosexuality and Christianity thread, just for old times sake (it goes back to 2001, FPS!) and read a note saying that I should check back on a specific topic which had come around 4 times already and was well into the fifth iteration. Reading for July 6, 2003, to get the context, I came across this post:
quote:
quote: Imagine this situations: what if there was a vocal group within your church pressing for those with extreme racist views or those who supported domestic violence to be held up as examples and teachers of the Christian faith? What if there was a group that said that life-long drunkenness, usury, gambling or gossip should be accepted as a Christian virtue? How do you think your church would respond? Maybe it would be quite natural for rules against promotion of such things to come into force?

And what's the common denominator of all these things you mention, Anglican Rascal?

Clue: they all harm and hurt people

Basically what I said about the American evangelicals voting for Trump. You'd almost think nothing much had changed in 13 years, except that the nasties had caused more damage to the church in general this time.

ETA: posted by Louise on July 7, 2003

[ 24. December 2016, 22:32: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

quote:
Because there is more to life than knowledge base science and technology. Such disciplines can explain the how of life, but they cannot explain the why of life, nor can they cannot give purpose to life.

It has become more and more clear to me over the years that the answer to the question, 'why are we here?', is, 'there is not a reason 'why'. We are here because we were conceived and born, because our parents mated. We are fortunate if we were wanted and nurtured well, but the act was biological, in an unbroken chain since life began. We evolved with language, so the question 'why' must have been thought of very early on, and is still running well after a million or so years! There is no reason why I am here; all aims and purposes I have had or will have are generated by my brain/mind. Other people may suggest purposes, but in the end the decision is always mine alone. If there is a question, why, to be answered about us, humans, then the same question must be asked about all other living creatures.
quote:
Why should one pay heed to stories that are 2,000 years old? Actually, much longer than that. Because they still have meaning today.
Yes you are right of course; the best stories from all times in history help to teach us how to live, behave and become better people.
quote:
For instance let's just take the first creation story. It affirms God was actively involved in all levels of creation. It also affirms God created out of love, and it affirms all creation is good. Other than God saying "Let there be..." it does not answer how it came into being.
I think 'asserts' is more accurate than 'affirms’!
quote:
Now scientific theory has shown that the development of the universe has taken billions of years. It has also given us a good idea of how life has evolved, but it does not explain why nore does it give value to the world as we know it.
There is no reason why, and any value attributed to the world is entirely subjective and man-defined.
quote:
Science and technology are constantly changing. What we hold "true" now may be discounted twenty years from now, but many of the questions religious stories address will remain. Does that mean their answers will hold true? Maybe not. But they do give us a basis for finding the answers to the challenges of tomorrow.
Could you elaborate on this, I wonder? If the question, 'why are we here' is still being asked way into the future, then I believe it is the wrong question!!

Thank you for an interesting question to think about on this Christmas morning! i'll be off out for my regular Sunday morning walk as soon as it's light enough and will be out exercising while hearing the church (recorded) bells not far away. [Smile]

SusanDoris, thank you soooo much. The concept of 'why?' outside of faith has troubled me a little. To accept that there is no 'why' is liberating. You've just made my Christmas that much better. [Overused]

There is not a lot of difference between unasking the "why" question and accepting that you are a player in the Author's mysterious long term plot.

The conclusion is the same; we'd better get on with what is in front of us. I heard the ex-leader of the TUC (and staunch Methodist) Len Murray express it this way. "I believe Christians ought to get stuck in". Widening that, I don't think it matters what you believe, opting out is not really an option.

Though I can appreciate that bad experiences may encourage us to say "stop the world, I want to get off", despair is best avoided.

[ 25. December 2016, 09:02: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:

The same way that many of the rest of us believers—including, I'd wager, most believers here on the ship—do. Gramps49 gives a good description. I'm not knocking science at all, but there are many questions in life that science simply can't answer and facets of life where science really has little of meaning to contribute, at least for my money. For me at least, those questions and facets of life tend to be the ones that matter more.
Thank you. When you do ponder the questions that matter more to you, is there a sort of format you use? That sounds like a daft and too vague a question, I suppose, but do you start with the assumption that your beliefs are a given? When I contemplate existence, life, the universe and everything, I do not give any time or credence to the possibility that there might be a God.

[ 25. December 2016, 10:21: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

quote:

It seems the AofC has said something about Christianity providing certainty. I will have to find out the details later, but of course for me there has to be better certainty than faith alone.

quote:
SusanDoris, thank you soooo much. The concept of 'why?' outside of faith has troubled me a little. To accept that there is no 'why' is liberating. You've just made my Christmas that much better. [Overused]

Many thanks for saying! I have been a member of BHA and NSS for years now and live without belief in anything coming under the heading of supernatural. However, I have always enjoyed discussions where there are so many different aspects of belief and this forum is about the best I think.

quote:
There is not a lot of difference between unasking the "why" question and accepting that you are a player in the Author's mysterious long term plot.

Hmmmm, well I think there is a huge difference! [Smile] However, I agree with your nextSentence:
quote:
The conclusion is the same; we'd better get on with what is in front of us.

I meant in terms of our attitudes to purpose. A life lived without purpose is a pity.

quote:
I meant in terms of our attitudes to purpose. A life lived without purpose is a pity.

Oh, I see.
Actually, at 80, I do not think I have a purpose! I'm just an incurable optimist and wake up each day thinking, wow, how lucky I am to be able to carry on doing what I do, organising the weekly tap group, and continuing to learn as much as I can about the world. I suppose the purpose is to live each day in the best way I can until I run out of time!

Hi SusanDoris. I hope you had a happy Christmas morning walk with the "bells" in the distance.

I suppose how you approach the question of the supernatural you will come to different questions as to whether there is a why, a value, or a purpose to life. My point is that the mere recitation of facts, or data, does not completely give us all knowledge. There is also philosophical knowledge in addition to natural and social knowledge.

When I referred to the first story of creation from the Bible I purposely used the term "affirms" because I see the story as a creedal statement of faith in answer to the chaotic creation stories of the surrounding cultures.

While you say the question of why is the wrong question for you, it is only for you. Many people do ask that question. Many people still seek value. Many people still wonder if there is purpose. People look for answers through their spiritual practices.

I once took a course in Adlerian Psychology. The professor that taught the course stated he was, at best agnostic, but I found that many of us religious people preferred him as our advisor. He had some of the best theological understandings of the world of the mind. One of his points was that Adler stated all of us have to develop our own fallacy for meaning. Adler used the term "fallacy" to mean personal understanding of the world. There is no right or wrong to any fallacy as long as is functional--it allows one to interact with the world. Some people develop their fallacy around a particular philosophy (Existentialism, for example), others use religion to develop their meaning.

One other reason religion is still relevant is that it offers an ethical approach to the world. We can see how unethical people have used science and technologies to advance their own goals. Religion offers a counter-balance to an amoral science or technology. We have already proven we can build nuclear bombs but ethical people ask why should we. That is not to say atheists aren't ethical people, most subscribe to a benevolent humanism--but even that has its roots in religious teachings.

Anyway, I know we will remain at polar opposite ends when it comes to the supernatural, but I have enjoyed your insights on many questions--there can still be a lot of middle ground.

[ 25. December 2016, 20:29: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

quote:

I suppose the purpose is to live each day in the best way I can until I run out of time!

That'll do.

(Wanders off, singing "One day at a time, sweet Jesus..)

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
There is the possibility that the "growing" churches preach a return to some imaginary version of the 1950's, when Everything Was Just Alright (while ignoring the huge disparities in the Western cultures). This provides a comfortable space for people who feel threatened by the world as it is. Lord knows, we all feel that need at the moment - it's just that most people don't want to be that hateful.

To me, Pancho's clips seemed to be saying that the growing churches are teaching that belief in Jesus is the way to eternal life (a certainty) and that God can and does perform miracles in our lives.

From that you took away a desire to be hateful.

Well there we have it. A whole lot of people today seem to see all Christians as homophobic, xenophobic,politically right wing Trump supporters and they will see that even where there's no actual evidence.

Liberal church's like my own ECLA & Episcopalian are trying so hard to distance themselves from that perception that they often have pastor's who pretty much preach that being a kind person who recycles is quite good enough. So of course their numbers are diminishing because, what difference does it make whether we go to church on Sunday or just volunteer at the food pantry once in a while?

I think the single biggest issue that's causing Millennials to drop out of the church is the perception that Christians hate gay people. The church is simply going to have to catch up with social norms on this, before it is too late. Without going into dead horse territory about whether Jesus wants us to practice homosexuality or not, I just want to say, the church has to quit making it a big issue if it wants to keep the younger generation. For example, I know Jesus thinks I'm wrong to divorce and remarry, yet I never felt unwelcome from my church because of it. The churches should be teaching Christ as savior, forgiveness, charity and love and quit preaching about sexual orientation as if it really matters to our salvation.

I am having some difficulty in following the argument in this thread so what I now say may not make sense or be relevant - but I'll say it anyway because, for me, it makes sense and it's relevant.
I suspect that we may be addressing two different ‘why's’.
The ‘why’ that I found difficult to answer and which SusanDoris has suggested is not a question, is "why are we here" as asked by my (evangelical) Christian friends whose answer to the ‘why’ is something along the lines of ‘to love God, to obey his commandments, to save the lost and to prepare for eternal life in heaven’. This is an impossible answer to the impossible question, as I see it. The question has confused me (until SusanDoris spoke) and it simply didn't occur to me to challenge the validity of the question.
The ‘why’ with which I have no problem is ‘why are we here’ meaning ‘what are we here for?’ . My response to that would be along the lines of ‘to love others as we love ourselves’ with all that that involves. This, for me, is certainly not aimless or without purpose or meaning.

Twilight: what difference does it make whether we go to church on Sunday or just volunteer at the food pantry once in a while?
Don't tempt me! [Razz] [Big Grin]

quote:

Twilight: what difference does it make whether we go to church on Sunday or just volunteer at the food pantry once in a while?

quote:

Of course, a lot of Christians do both, and there many churches that facilitate this kind of provision.

But Twilight's point is a good one. The liberal-leaning churches have ended up offering a pared down form of Christianity that doesn't necessarily inspire much engagement, except among a certain kind of sophisticated person, or among the most loyal.

Homosexuality is the issue of the moment, but in the British case I don't think religious attitudes towards it have discouraged many young people from joining churches because few would have wanted to join anyway. Perhaps it's encouraged some to leave, but many were already likely to leave.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

I read into day's paper that 81% of white evangelical Christians voted for Trump. So OK, I'm done. Never been white, and now I know I'm not evangelical. Christianity is on the bubble.

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

quote:
I am having some difficulty in following the argument in this thread so what I now say may not make sense or be relevant - but I'll say it anyway because, for me, it makes sense and it's relevant.
The ‘why’ that I found difficult to answer and which SusanDoris has suggested is not a question, is "why are we here" as asked by my (evangelical) Christian friends whose answer to the ‘why’ is something along the lines of ‘to love God, to obey his commandments, to save the lost and to prepare for eternal life in heaven’. This is an impossible answer to the impossible question, as I see it. The question has confused me (until SusanDoris spoke) and it simply didn't occur to me to challenge the validity of the question.
The ‘why’ with which I have no problem is ‘why are we here’ meaning ‘what are we here for?’ . My response to that would be along the lines of ‘to love others as we love ourselves’ with all that that involves. This, for me, is certainly not aimless or without purpose or meaning.

I think it's even more complicated, since 'why' is one of those bendy stretchy words, like a piece of chewing gum. Hence, the famous question, why is the kettle boiling, has at least two answers, because I want a cup of tea, and because water turns to steam at a certain temperature. And there are probably others, e.g. because I switched it on.

The ultimate why questions leave me cold. I mean, why am I here, is like asking what is the square root of sugar? But I suppose some people enjoy answering it.

'Purpose' is also very stretchy. My purpose right now is writing this post. Later, I will cook a meal and watch some TV, and eat some more chocolate. Talking about ultimate purposes just makes me feel tired. No such thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I read into day's paper that 81% of white evangelical Christians voted for Trump. So OK, I'm done. Never been white, and now I know I'm not evangelical. Christianity is on the bubble.

AFAIUI, though, Hillary Clinton didn't even try to reach out to evangelicals. She didn't visit any churches or ministers. She didn't pretend to care about them. When I read that, it struck me as politically unwise. Her evangelical supporters should have advised her to take the disgruntled evangelical vote more seriously.

But it's water under the bridge now.

quote:
Hi SusanDoris. I hope you had a happy Christmas morning walk with the "bells" in the distance.

Yes, thank you , I had a very pleasant day. There was far less traffic and so, new hearing (very good, but I don’t like the design, NHS) hearing aids on, I could hear more of the birds more often! Several joggers were out, millennials, maybe?!
quote:
I suppose how you approach the question of the supernatural you will come to different questions as to whether there is a why, a value, or a purpose to life. My point is that the mere recitation of facts, or data, does not completely give us all knowledge. There is also philosophical knowledge in addition to natural and social knowledge.
Recitation of facts without a reasonably good understanding of them of course does not imply or, I suppose, impart, knowledge and there are not many I think who would do that.
All the philosophical, ,natural and social knowledge is made up of ideas, ranging from the quite useful, to those which have been found to be supremely useful for the survival, and present sophistication, of humans.
quote:
When I referred to the first story of creation from the Bible I purposely used the term "affirms" because I see the story as a creedal statement of faith in answer to the chaotic creation stories of the surrounding cultures.
Yes, that is quite understandable and I see what you mean, but the writers could not and did not contemplate, let alone consider, that all this had happened naturally without any God involved.
quote:
While you say the question of why is the wrong question for you, it is only for you. Many people do ask that question.
I wonder whether there is research which shows that millennials are less likely to ask the question why, since they have been, one hopes, brought up, educated and lived in a world where, testable, verifiable knowledge is available to them with a mouse click. A much greater amount of critical thinking teaching could well be a very good thing, I think. If they ask you the question why, what can you tell them that is true, and where a method is available to be used to show how this is decided? [
quote:
Many people still seek value. Many people still wonder if there is purpose. People look for answers through their spiritual practices.
I don’t suppose there are many people who do not seekvalue and purpose, but there is nowhere outside of human thoughts, words, writings, ideas and others’ examples from which such values and purposes can be seen, are there?.
quote:
One other reason religion is still relevant is that it offers an ethical approach to the world. We can see how unethical people have used science and technologies to advance their own goals. Religion offers a counter-balance to an amoral science or technology.
I assume we both mean amoral people, not the materials.
quote:
Anyway, I know we will remain at polar opposite ends when it comes to the supernatural, but I have enjoyed your insights on many questions--there can still be a lot of middle ground.
Certainly! The discussion is the thing, every time.

For me, the question of "why" is not about why we are here, but why creation happened in the first place. Now, I would grant a nonbeliever can just say creation just happened, a wrinkle in the space/time continuum that kind of got out of control. For a believer the why is because God is love. Did you know the word the Apostles creed for creator is the same world we get our English word for poet? Kind of puts an interesting twist on the concept of the why of creation.

I do not see the liberal churches having to pare down Christianity at all. No, I see liberal churches having to stand up to the corrupt teachings of "Evangelicals." It is a known fact the modern evangelical movement in the US got started as a reaction to the integration of blacks into American society. It was not until public schools were integrated did you see a movement to keep the races separate which began in reactionary churches.

If you look at it, you will find the Evangelical teachings are basic human prejudices cloaked with a religious veneer.

On the other hand, it takes guts to challenge the homophobia of evangelicals. It takes guts to question the radical capitalism of Ayn Rand. It takes guts to cross whatever line general society places between "us" and "them."

Over the past 20 years the US has made great strides in human rights through court decisions that have opened up equal marriage and non-discrimination in the work place. Any time you
you have such a radical movement you will have an opposite reaction. I think that is what has happened in the last election.

Three issues had an impact on the vote from my perspective.

1) Is the projected increase in Obamacare premiums. These were announced in the last few weeks before the election.

2) The fear of Muslim immigration along with a misperceived problem with undocumented aliens.

3) The strong opposition against abortion

The issue of homosexual rights is a distant fourth.

The Trump campaign brilliantly targeted these fears in key states. Evangelical leaders endorsed Trump because of his stated opposition to abortion and muslim immigration. But I think it will not take long before the 81% evangelicals will regret putting their eggs into his basket.

It all goes back to the need for millennials to hear the Gospel clearly and to see it lived in the community. We have certainly seen benefits when we officially became open and affirming.

Gramps wrote:

quote:
But I think it will not take long before the 81% evangelicals will regret putting their eggs into his basket.

I'm not sure why evangelicals would turn against Trump. During the campaign, there was some talk that his rather unseemly personal life might alienate a lot of them, and we had all these media reports about students at Liberty Baptist outraged that Falwell jr. was endorsing him etc. But then election day rolls around and, well, 81%.

I suspect most evangelicals just found some reason to rationalize away Trump's personal infelicities, eg. "Hey, at least he's not a queer like most of those Democrats are"; "Well, you know, King David wasn't perfect either, but he led Israel to greatness", and will continue to do so throughout his term and into the next election.

The only way I could see the fundies abandoning Team Trump is if he turns out to be way more liberal on social issues than his Republican affiliation would lead one to believe. That's possible, but, even then, he'd probably have to actually get up and announce that he's liberal for it to hit home with people. If he appoints Souter or Kennedy clones to the SCOTUS, but doesn't make a big deal about it, the evangelicals will probably just pay more attention to his macho tweets and tough-guy posturing, which they'll somehow equate with biblical principles.

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

quote:
For me, the question of "why" is not about why we are here, but why creation happened in the first place. Now, I would grant a nonbeliever can just say creation just happened, a wrinkle in the space/time continuum that kind of got out of control. For a believer the why is because God is love.

Yes, that's it.

The thing that I don't understand is that purpose, cause and effect are inherent aspects of existence. We expect that everything has a point, and the how's and why's of life are the subject of unending inquiry. So why would this be the case for everything except existence itself?

It is not hard to see the logic behind saying "There is no point." It is obvious that the question is outside of our normal ability to find empirical certainty.

But it should be equally easy to understand that this answer is neither explanatory nor satisfactory. It requires seeing ultimate questions as anomalous - every question can be asked except those kind.

I would expect that if there was a logical paradigm that did answer ultimate questions, it would be preferred to one that did not answer them.

Posted by Net Spinster (# 16058) on :

quote:

I do not see the liberal churches having to pare down Christianity at all. No, I see liberal churches having to stand up to the corrupt teachings of "Evangelicals." It is a known fact the modern evangelical movement in the US got started as a reaction to the integration of blacks into American society. It was not until public schools were integrated did you see a movement to keep the races separate which began in reactionary churches.

The idea of separation of the races dates well before the integration of public schools. AME and AME Zion were founded back in the early 1800s because the Methodist churches were separating whites and blacks. Even the Catholic church segregated. The Black Catholic History (diocese of Charleston) site details some though it glosses over a few facts (for instance it implies the the first Black Catholic priest in the diocese was circa 1967, Egbert Figaro, but in fact he did not become a priest in the diocese until 1978 (his obit; the obit also mentions that the Diocese of Camden, NJ, was not accepting 'colored' seminarians as late at 1947).

The various laws banning interracial marriage also existed early.

quote:

I nod in agreement. Essentially, though, we are here because evolution has produced life which does or does not survive, and we are the luckiest species, descendents of an ancient ancestor ape. We evolved to have languagetoo, which has enabled us to develop, refine, use, unfortunately for good or ill, but mostly good, our lives and behaviours which have been organised into laws. We are not here in order to love others – most of us do it because we canot help it and such behaviours, however, altruistic they may be, give us our greatest happiness and contentment.

Another thought: Do the churches who want to attract the millennials to their congregations tell and encourage them to know and understand the TofE, or do they downplay it in favour of the beliefs of their denominations?

Susan wrote:

quote:
Do the churches who want to attract the millennials to their congregations tell and encourage them to know and understand the TofE, or do they downplay it in favour of the beliefs of their denominations?

I haven't been inside churches of every denomination, but I suspect you could more or less answer that question by finding out what the overall denomination's teaching is on evolution.

The Roman Catholic Church, for example, has taught for decades now that evolution is compatible with Catholic theology. So, I would assume that, in most cases, millenials(or anyone else) getting involved with RCism are free to study evolution if they'd like, unless(as sometimes happens) their particular parish priest is off on his own little hobbyhorse, irrespective of what is being handed down from the Church.

Though I suppose that doesn't mean that those churches actively ENCOURAGE their flock to study evolution, just that they don't actively DISCOURAGE it. But they probably don't really encourage you to study the laws of gravity or the theory of relativity either, simply because it's not their mandate to teach those things.

[ 26. December 2016, 17:48: Message edited by: Stetson ]

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

I'm never sure what's meant by evangelical. The exit poll religion question asked people if they were "born-again/evangelical." I don't consider myself "born-again," and my very liberal, ELCA Lutheran church has evangelical in it's name. I wonder how the other Christians voted?

I do think that Trump's promise to put anti-abortion people in the supreme court might be why they voted for him and not because they thought he was a great man. Putting Pence on the ticket might have made a positive difference for some of them, too.

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I'm never sure what's meant by evangelical. The exit poll religion question asked people if they were "born-again/evangelical." I don't consider myself "born-again," and my very liberal, ELCA Lutheran church has evangelical in it's name.

And the German Democratic Republic's name had "democratic" in it.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

From toda's POST, in an article about Christian opposition to trump, the writer quotes a friend:white identity values triumphs Christian values. Character clearly does not matter, not if political access is the prize.

quote:
When you do ponder the questions that matter more to you, is there a sort of format you use? That sounds like a daft and too vague a question, I suppose, but do you start with the assumption that your beliefs are a given?

I don't know that I have a "format" as such, but no, I do not necessarily start with an assumption that my beliefs are a given. Not saying I always question my assumptions, but I think it's fair to say that I do question them with some regularity—including questioning the existence of God. For me, giving thoughtful consideration to anything includes asking the question "what if my assumptions are wrong?" and "what if my conclusions are wrong?"

quote:
When I contemplate existence, life, the universe and everything, I do not give any time or credence to the possibility that there might be a God.

So why do you start with the assumption that your beliefs—specifically your belief that there is no God—are a given? Why do you not questions the assumptions you start with?

quote:
. . . but the writers [of the Gensis creation stories] could not and did not contemplate, let alone consider, that all this had happened naturally without any God involved.

Why couldn't they consider it? The existence of people who didn't believe in gods in the ancient world aside, there are creation myths from many cultures that either don't involve gods at all or don't involve gods directly creating, much less creating out of love. In fact as I understand it, the Genesis myth (for it is myth, in the proper sense of the word) is the exception in that regard.

quote:
wonder whether there is research which shows that millennials are less likely to ask the question why, since they have been, one hopes, brought up, educated and lived in a world where, testable, verifiable knowledge is available to them with a mouse click. A much greater amount of critical thinking teaching could well be a very good thing, I think. If they ask you the question why, what can you tell them that is true, and where a method is available to be used to show how this is decided?
I'm afraid I don't understand at all why education and testable, verifiable knowledge would make millenials, or any one else, less likely to ask "why" questions. That just makes no sense to me, and I suspect it would be equally baffling to my children, both of whom are well-educated, intelligent millenials with very good critical thinking skills.

This goes back to my statement above that for my money, there are questions that science is completely ill-equipped to answer. What is beauty? What is goodness—not just in the abstract, but in the living of life? What is truth—not fact, but truth? I know of no method for testing those things, but I think questions like this are worth contemplating.

quote:
We are not here in order to love others – most of us do it because we canot help it and such behaviours, however, altruistic they may be, give us our greatest happiness and contentment.

And why is that? Why can't we help it? Why does it make us happy and contented? To me that is the God part. Love and compassion can't be seen by scientific methods, but we feel them for some reason.

Is it "why we are here?" I have no idea.

I grew up Presbyterian, have been a member of several different main stream denominations and never heard a word against evolution. I'm always surprised to hear atheists or agnostics say, "I don't believe in God -- I believe in science," as though the two things are incompatible. With a few exceptions, Christians go to doctors when they are sick and believe everything their high school chemistry teacher told them. We thank God for new discoveries that help us.

I don't know why some churches have dug their heels in about evolution, but it's a very small arguing point to me. The umbrella of "science," covers masses of other information that no Christian is disputing.

quote:
I'm never sure what's meant by evangelical. The exit poll religion question asked people if they were "born-again/evangelical." I don't consider myself "born-again," and my very liberal, ELCA Lutheran church has evangelical in it's name. I wonder how the other Christians voted?

That's because the ELCA, and Lutherans generally, use "evangelical" in its original sense. Those whom the poll were talking about use it with a more recent meaning, albeit the more common meaning in English usage these days,

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

quote:

I don't know why some churches have dug their heels in about evolution, but it's a very small arguing point to me. The umbrella of "science," covers masses of other information that no Christian is disputing.

When you dig into it, it turns out that the hardcore YECers actually dispute most of physics, chemistry, biology and geology because once you start questioning the age of the universe you have to pull down pretty much all the sciences. People really underestimate how well supported and how interconnected modern science is.

quote:
quote:
We are not here in order to love others – most of us do it because we canot help it and such behaviours, however, altruistic they may be, give us our greatest happiness and contentment.

And why is that? Why can't we help it? Why does it make us happy and contented? To me that is the God part. Love and compassion can't be seen by scientific methods, but we feel them for some reason.

I do think that it is pretty interesting to ask what it would take to arrange things on the planet so that there was universal peace, kindness and prosperity.

It is even more interesting to see the things that are happening now that are headed in that direction.

Dramatic increases in education, declines in child mortality, hunger, crime and disease, the "flattening" of the world, are more than I thought I would see in my lifetime.

While wars, injustice and bigotry persist, and even seem to increase, many trends work against these things in powerful ways.

I can get behind the overall phenomenon as a "purpose" for all of us.

quote:

I do not see the liberal churches having to pare down Christianity at all. No, I see liberal churches having to stand up to the corrupt teachings of "Evangelicals."

Fair enough. That's probably very true in the USA. I don't think it entirely reflects the situation elsewhere, though.

quote:
Did you know the word the Apostles creed for creator is the same world we get our English word for poet? Kind of puts an interesting twist on the concept of the why of creation.

Sort of.

The English version of the Apostle's Creed is a translation of the Latin (which is probably the original language, but who knows for sure). The Latin word used that we translate as "creator" is Creatorem, which is not connected to any words, Latin or English, related to "poet."

The Greek version of the Creed, on the other hand, uses poieten, which is indeed directly related to both Greek and English words for "poet." That is also the Greek word used in the Greek version of the Nicene Creed.

Both "creator" and "poet" have roots in words meaning "to make."

Tangent: Seeing how different words are translated in other languages can often give new insights. My favorite is the German for "savior"—Heiland, which is related to the English words "heal" and "whole."

[ 27. December 2016, 01:05: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

quote:
The English version of the Apostle's Creed is a translation of the Latin (which is probably the original language, but who knows for sure). The Latin word used that we translate as "creator" is Creatorem, which is not connected to any words, Latin or English, related to "poet."

There is no reason to think it was in Latin. It was a Greek conference in Greek territory and the records we have are in Greek. We have some translated into Latin, it is true. But there is absolutely no reason at all to think the council was in Latin or the creed was written in Latin.

Further there is no one English translation, and plenty of them have been translated from and checked against the Greek.

Whose propaganda have you been sniffing?

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

There is no reason to think it was in Latin. It was a Greek conference in Greek territory and the records we have are in Greek. We have some translated into Latin, it is true. But there is absolutely no reason at all to think the council was in Latin or the creed was written in Latin.

Further there is no one English translation, and plenty of them have been translated from and checked against the Greek.

Whose propaganda have you been sniffing?

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but what was a Greek conference in Greek territory? What council? Are you talking about the Nicene Creed? If you are, then you're not talking about what I was talking about.

Gramps49 specifically referenced words used in the Apostles' Creed, and I said (in the part of my post that you quoted) that the Apostles' Creed was probably written in Latin. Given that the earliest form of it was the Roman baptismal symbol, and given that it seems to have reached its current form in Gaul, Latin seems like a better bet than Greek.

The only mention of the Nicene Creed was to note that the Greek uses the same word for "Creator" that the Greek version of the Apostles' Creed does.

Shit, you're right, I got the wrong creed. I repent in sackcloth and ashes. Sorry! Feel free to slap me.

Nah, it's Christmas. Cheers.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Perhaps slap everyone whose into Latin or Greek. That is yhe sort of this that loses everyone. How does that make it more likely things they click 'like' and 'may attend'? (And I am hopelessly dating myself with such passé reference to old social media....)

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Perhaps slap everyone whose into Latin or Greek. That is yhe sort of this that loses everyone. How does that make it more likely things they click 'like' and 'may attend'? (And I am hopelessly dating myself with such passé reference to old social media....)

But we're not debating this on some invitation site, or some church website. We're debating this on the Ship of Fools, a place specifically set up, in part, for this kind of debate. One doesn't expect potential converts who aren't into this sort of shit to come here and seek it out. And any that come here and stay more than five minutes are probably the kind of nutjobs like ourselves who get off on this sort of thing.

Anyway, ITTWACWS. I claim my €5.

quote:
Perhaps slap everyone whose into Latin or Greek. That is yhe sort of this that loses everyone.

I don't think that's true at all. I'm sure it loses some people, but some people—including some millenials even—find it interesting and even potentially meaningful. Whether it's generations or any other cohort group, one size dies not fit all.

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Though I suppose that doesn't mean that those churches actively ENCOURAGE their flock to study evolution, just that they don't actively DISCOURAGE it. But they probably don't really encourage you to study the laws of gravity or the theory of relativity either, simply because it's not their mandate to teach those things.

Thank you. When one comes to think of it, this is actually a major dichotomy, isn't it. If a child or young person is taught/learns, 'I believe in God,' and even more, 'maker of ....',
and also learns about our species' evolution, what should the answer be when s/he asks how both these answers can be true.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:

Does that apply also to everyone who's into correct English?

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

quote:
When one comes to think of it, this is actually a major dichotomy, isn't it. If a child or young person is taught/learns, 'I believe in God,' and even more, 'maker of ....',
and also learns about our species' evolution, what should the answer be when s/he asks how both these answers can be true.

Well the basic response is that the laws of nature are also brought into being by God, and are the means by which creation is achieved. Like all analogies this is imperfect, but the question is a bit like asking whether it was the spanner or the mechanic which tightened the nut.

The laws of nature are independent of God, just like the laws of God.

quote:
The laws of nature are independent of God, just like the laws of God.

Good one.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:

Thank you. When one comes to think of it, this is actually a major dichotomy, isn't it. If a child or young person is taught/learns, 'I believe in God,' and even more, 'maker of ....',

It's not really a dichotomy at all, unless one insists on a literal reading of the Gensis story, complete with 7 24-hour days, etc.—which most Christian traditions don't. The answer to that child is that the theory of evolution tells us the mechanics of how we developed as a species, while the Genesis creation myth tells us why and that our development as a species was not happenstance or accidental.

FWIW, I've never encountered even subtle discouragement of studying evolution in my particular tradition of Chrustianity. The idea that there is conflict is simply not an issue. The scientists in various congregation I have had connection to over the years seem to have little trouble reconciling to two.

Those are mutually exclusive positions.

quote:

Why?

We developed as a species was by happenstance and accident.

quote:
quote:

Why?
I don't see them as mutually exclusive. All you have to do is understand that God created the laws that govern evolution. You can also say that God is the power that continually moves it forward, according to His laws.

The laws are nothing to do with Him.

Their origin and purpose is not love?

quote:
We developed as a species was by happenstance and accident.

And why do you say that? My understanding is that's not really what evolutionary theory says.

Thank you for an interesting post to sit and think about this morning. I apologise for the length and will quite understand if you think, TLDR! I usually try and remove my previous words, but I don’t think it would have worked here.
quote:
quote:
When you do ponder the questions that matter more to you, is there a sort of format you use? That sounds like a daft and too vague a question, I suppose, but do you start with the assumption that your beliefs are a given?

I don't know that I have a "format" as such, but no, I do not necessarily start with an assumption that my beliefs are a given. Not saying I always question my assumptions, but I think it's fair to say that I do question them with some regularity—including questioning the existence of God. For me, giving thoughtful consideration to anything includes asking the question "what if my assumptions are wrong?" and "what if my conclusions are wrong?"
Do you know what it is that always brings you back to the faith/belief answer?

quote:
quote:
When I contemplate existence, life, the universe and everything, I do not give any time or credence to the possibility that there might be a God.
So why do you start with the assumption that your beliefs—specifically your belief that there is no God—are a given? Why do you not questions the assumptions you start with?
I should have said that I ]no longer spend any time giving credence to the possibility of any god, however, I will be always ready to change my mind if one actually turns up.
quote:
quote:
. . . but the writers [of the Genesis creation stories] could not and did not contemplate, let alone consider, that all this had happened naturally without any God involved.

Why couldn't they consider it? The existence of people who didn't believe in gods in the ancient world aside, there are creation myths from many cultures that either don't involve gods at all or don't involve gods directly creating, much less creating out of love. In fact as I understand it, the Genesis myth (for it is myth, in the proper sense of the word) is the exception in that regard.
Yes, you are right, I was trying not to use too many words! I was thinking that all ancient peoples did not have the huge amount of accumulated knowledge we now have of the world and our galaxy, nor the technology etc to test and verify their religious beliefs. we must of course acknowledge the ways that knowledge builds up continuously.
quote:
quote:
I wonder whether there is research which shows that millennials are less likely to ask the question why, since they have been, one hopes, brought up, educated and lived in a world where, testable, verifiable knowledge is available to them with a mouse click. A much greater amount of critical thinking teaching could well be a very good thing, I think. If they ask you the question why, what can you tell them that is true, and where a method is available to be used to show how this is decided?
I'm afraid I don't understand at all why education and testable, verifiable knowledge would make millenials, or any one else, less likely to ask "why" questions. That just makes no sense to me, and I suspect it would be equally baffling to my children, both of whom are well-educated, intelligent millenials with very good critical thinking skills.
I was thinking particularly of the ‘why are we here’ question when it is followed by an answer something like, ‘God made us’. I was thinking, too, of the younger people who hav seen the scientific method at work, lived through the years since the launching of the Voyagers, watched a probe land on a comet, and seen how medical treatments are rapidly improving. They would, perhaps should, recognise that the possibility of any god or 2,000-year-dead person is still listening to prayers, etc must begin to be, in fact, incredible.
quote:
This goes back to my statement above that for my money, there are questions that science is completely ill-equipped to answer.
How can they even attempt to answer a question when there are zero observations to start with from which they might attempt a hypothesis?
quote:
What is beauty? What is goodness—not just in the abstract, but in the living of life?
Without language and evolved human thoughts and ideas, the world would still be as it is but our particular species would not have the ability to transmit our thoughts about, for instance, a glorious sunset, to our fellow humans. Similarly, with behaviours which enable us to live.
quote:
What is truth—not fact, but truth? I know of no method for testing those things, but I think questions like this are worth contemplating.
Yes, that is certainly a trickier, and probably never-ending, question, especially as definitions of words become so blurred at times. However, there are innumerable facts, concrete nouns, recognisable by all creatures and each can be given different names by different peoples, but the thing itself remains the same, whether named or not. With abstract nouns, there must be a majority acceptance of meaning, otherwise our human world would grind to a halt, but any idea, such as God, which is believed to be true by some is not as a result true for others.

[ 27. December 2016, 12:22: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

That 'was' is unforgivable.

Well said Freddy. Everything is predicated on love. But quantum mechanics isn't love.

Aye Nick, I deliberately missed out what Jacques Monod said: chance AND necessity. You didn't! You engaged in the false dichotomy first, I just ran with it.

quote:
quote:

All these feelings and emotions are produced by chemicals etc in the brain and have evolved to perform those functions. The effect of well-being, contentnent and what we call happiness have been an essential part of our species' successful survival, along with the ability to use language to express abstract thought as a vital part of this. For me, this is sufficiently exciting, wonderful, amazing, etc in itself with no need to put forward the idea of a god to have started it. An the answer to how the universe started is not a complete don't know and will no doubt become a little less unknown as time goes on.
quote:
Why do you think you need another reason apart from biology?
quote:
I grew up Presbyterian, have been a member of several different main stream denominations and never heard a word against evolution. I'm always surprised to hear atheists or agnostics say, "I don't believe in God -- I believe in science...
But that is not what they say. Atheists lack belief in all gods, rather than all gods except one, and believe in the verified Theories of Science, knowing always that they can be challenged and subsequently improved or changed if necessary.
quote:
..." as though the two things are incompatible. With a few exceptions, Christians go to doctors when they are sick and believe everything their high school chemistry teacher told them. We thank God for new discoveries that help us.

Thank you - I agree. Those who believe in God - and there is not going to be any but a very small change in that for a hundred or more years I think - add an unnecessary complexity to the world as it is anyway.

quote:
Aye Nick, I deliberately missed out what Jacques Monod said: chance AND necessity. You didn't! You engaged in the false dichotomy first, I just ran with it.

Still not seeing a false dichotomy, Jacques Monod's conclusion that human life emerged by chance notwithstanding.

And I think, at least in evolutionary theory terms, the operative words are "random" and "non-random."

The false dichotomy being (theistic evolutionary) creation or blind chance.

I'm glad you found it worth thinking about SusanDoris. In an effort not to make things too long, I'll try to keep responses limited and to the point.
quote:
Do you know what it is that always brings you back to the faith/belief answer?

No, I don't exactly, other than that I ultimately seem unable not to believe. It's what puts the puzzle pieces together for me. It's what rings true, despite the doubts.

quote:
I was thinking, too, of the younger people who hav seen the scientific method at work, lived through the years since the launching of the Voyagers, watched a probe land on a comet, and seen how medical treatments are rapidly improving. They would, perhaps should, recognise that the possibility of any god or 2,000-year-dead person is still listening to prayers, etc must begin to be, in fact, incredible.
I lived through all of those things, plus the first moon landing. Lots and lots of people did who still believe.

That said, yes I'd say it's incredible. And yet I still believe it to be true.

quote:
quote:
This goes back to my statement above that for my money, there are questions that science is completely ill-equipped to answer.
How can they even attempt to answer a question when there are zero observations to start with from which they might attempt a hypothesis?
But that's true of many things. Life is a mix of the biological and, for want of a better term, the beyond-biological. To pick up on another thread, why does some music give us chills, or why does some music give some people chills and not others? The scientific explanations about chemical reactions and the like are good as far as they go, but for many of us they don't go far enough.

It seems to me that for some people, the questions that matter are the ones that can be tested by the scientific method, and if a question cannot be tested by the scientific method it is not worth asking. For others of us, the questions that cannot be tested by the scientific method are the more interesting and meaningful questions.

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
[QUOTE]I do think that it is pretty interesting to ask what it would take to arrange things on the planet so that there was universal peace, kindness and prosperity.

An impossibility, I'm afraid! We have evolved to survive and that means the maintenance of genes which would enable us, if the world became .such a hostile environment, to have enough of the fittest to survive.

quote:

Okay, but evolutionary theory itself doesn't create that dichotomy, you are imposing the dichotomy because of the assumptions you are layering on evolutionary theory.

Evolutionary theory does not say that evolution happens by blind chance; indeed, I think that assertion is actually contrary to evolutionary theory. Evolutionary theory includes chance and randomness, but not all evolution is random or by chance. It's a mix of random and non-random.

quote:
It seems to me that for some people, the questions that matter are the ones that can be tested by the scientific method, and if a question cannot be tested by the scientific method it is not worth asking. For others of us, the questions that cannot be tested by the scientific method are the more interesting and meaningful questions.

Thank you.
I think most scientists would say that all questions are worth asking but then need to be allocated to different headings; those where a method can be used to find the answer; those which cannot and are almost certainly fiction; and those which for the moment remain don’t knows.

quote:
quote:

Thank you.
I think most scientists would say that all questions are worth asking but then need to be allocated to different headings; those where a method can be used to find the answer; those which cannot and are almost certainly fiction; and those which for the moment remain don’t knows.

I can't speak for "most" scientists, SusanDoris. But I know enough scientists who would include a fourth category—those for which the scientific method is not the appropriate way to find an answer—to think they are not a small minority.

quote:
quote:
I grew up Presbyterian, have been a member of several different main stream denominations and never heard a word against evolution. I'm always surprised to hear atheists or agnostics say, "I don't believe in God -- I believe in science...

But that is not what they say. Atheists lack belief in all gods, rather than all gods except one, and believe in the verified Theories of Science, knowing always that they can be challenged and subsequently improved or changed if necessary.
That is what some atheists say. Some atheists believe as you describe, some specifically lack a belief in the Abrahamic God but seem to have no problem believing in spirits of various sorts, and some seem to have as little belief in science as though do in God. Atheists, like everyone else, come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

quote:
Those who believe in God - and there is not going to be any but a very small change in that for a hundred or more years I think - add an unnecessary complexity to the world as it is anyway.

As you say, the demographics suggest that belief in God isn't going to die out on a global level within that time. Western countries are predicted to see ongoing disaffiliation from Christianity, but populations in the West are declining, and therefore have less impact on overall figures.

I think it's worth remembering that the acceptance of scientific developments is only one aspect to the growth of atheism or non-religiosity. There are many others. Note that disaffiliation from religion in the UK began among the working classes - not among the middle classes who would have a better grasp of science. Churchgoing is largely a middle class activity in much of the West.

With reference to millennials, it's interesting to note that in Britain, younger Muslims are often more religious than their elders. There are various reasons why, but younger people knowing less science probably isn't one of them.

[ 27. December 2016, 14:25: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Interesting point by Svitlana about middle class church-going. It's possible that it began to decline among working class people, not because of scientific knowledge, but because of social hierarchy. I mean, the posh might visit the poor, but did that inspire the poor to read their religious homilies?

It seems rather cartoon-like to argue that along came science, good-bye religion; this ignores the social context of religions. As Svitlana indicated, the middle class presumably had imbibed more scientific knowledge, yet clung to religion.

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]I do think that it is pretty interesting to ask what it would take to arrange things on the planet so that there was universal peace, kindness and prosperity.

An impossibility, I'm afraid! We have evolved to survive and that means the maintenance of genes which would enable us, if the world became such a hostile environment, to have enough of the fittest to survive.
Yet you can't deny that the world is changing. Why wouldn't it continue to change with respect to the relative quality of peace, kindness and prosperity?

Our genes are certainly a limiting factor, but only relatively so.

quote:
quote:

Okay, but evolutionary theory itself doesn't create that dichotomy, you are imposing the dichotomy because of the assumptions you are layering on evolutionary theory.

Evolutionary theory does not say that evolution happens by blind chance; indeed, I think that assertion is actually contrary to evolutionary theory. Evolutionary theory includes chance and randomness, but not all evolution is random or by chance. It's a mix of random and non-random.

Yes, the idea of selection seems to counter pure randomness, doesn't it? I suppose you can have random selection, as in lotteries, but natural selection ain't it. It's one of the interesting things about mimicry and camouflage, that an animal's environment begins to be painted on its back.

As well as Monod, this reminds me of Simone Weil, 'Gravity and Grace', maybe this would attract the millenials, as it is mind-bending in places.

Boy, go to bed, for a long winter's nap, and I miss out on the discussion on the other side of the world.

I am not interested in discussing theistic evolution. I was only pointing out that science and technology do not answer all the questions.

Someone testified to the theories of science. As I remember my philosophy of science, a theory only seeks to explain what is being observed, but those theories are subject to change as new data accumulates. Astrophysics, for instance, seems to be changing daily.

Yes, I am amazed we have been able to land a probe on a comet, but that took a lot of calculus to figure it out, thanks to supercomputers working overtime to determine precisely when and where. For me, as a believer, it goes to show the majesty of God.

The problem with the western concentration on science and technology we are emphasizing the left side of the brain. I had two professors who studied the right side of the brain. They purposely studied what we would call primitive cultures and they discovered that there was such a wide world of experience out there we are not even aware of. We only have a taste of that world in music, poetry, creative writing, maybe intuition. I would argue that the sense of the Divine comes from the right side of the brain.

The earliest known reference to an Apostle's creed is in a letter from Ambrose to Pope Sinicus in 390 CE. I am not sure if it was originally written Latin or Greek, but I do know the Greek word ποιητὴν (creator) comes from the same word from which means poet. I mentioned this as an aside, I certainly was surprised this would generate such a discussion.

quote:
I can't speak for "most" scientists, SusanDoris. But I know enough scientists who would include a fourth category—those for which the scientific method is not the appropriate way to find an answer—to think they are not a small minority.

What method do they use then to reach a conclusion, or even a theory? What procedure do they follow? In all my years on forums, I have never heard of such an alternative method.
quote:

I meant to edit that and say , ‘….believ the verified…’ and leave out the word ‘in’.
quote:
I saidThat is what some atheists say. Some atheists believe as you describe, some specifically lack a belief in the Abrahamic God but seem to have no problem believing in spirits of various sorts,
Yes, there are those who seem to have no difficulty believing things where 100% faith is needed and it is quite puzzling , but the number of such scientists in the Physics, chemistry and Biology fields is, I understand very low.
quote:
some seem to have as little belief in science as though do in God. Atheists, like everyone else, come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
Yes, that is true! No argument there!

Gramps

[Big Grin] Thank you for an interesting thread - it has been a really nice day, reading, thinking and responding !!

quote:
Yet you can't deny that the world is changing. Why wouldn't it continue to change with respect to the relative quality of peace, kindness and prosperity?

Of course I agree it can change and most people will hope for a time when they can get on quietly with their lives, but anger, aggression and the fight/flight response will remain, won't it, because without it the evolutionary drive to survive would not be available if our species is in danger of imminent extinction. This is vanishingly unlikely to happen while I live, but, and I do not write this with any overtones of scorn or anything, prayers will not produce any help from any god
quote:

Our genes are certainly a limiting factor, but only relatively so.

Thank you - as I have just said to gramps, this has been such an interesting day.

quote:
quote:

Still not seeing a false dichotomy, Jacques Monod's conclusion that human life emerged by chance notwithstanding.

And I think, at least in evolutionary theory terms, the operative words are "random" and "non-random."

In other words chance and necessity.

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Interesting point by Svitlana about middle class church-going. It's possible that it began to decline among working class people, not because of scientific knowledge, but because of social hierarchy. I mean, the posh might visit the poor, but did that inspire the poor to read their religious homilies?

It seems rather cartoon-like to argue that along came science, good-bye religion; this ignores the social context of religions. As Svitlana indicated, the middle class presumably had imbibed more scientific knowledge, yet clung to religion.

And I think economics played a significant role in the decline of religious participation. The more expressive forms of Christianity were supported best by the poor (Lanternari: The religions of the oppressed - I keep mentioning!). So, with upward social and economic mobility religious expression became less ('pentecostal') or disappeared. I am pretty sure I have observed this in my own lifetime with the (Caribbean) black-led churches in Britain - goodness me, even the longer established black-led churches join in the ecumenical activities of organisations they once thought beyond the pale. [Biased]

quote:
quote:

Of course I agree it can change and most people will hope for a time when they can get on quietly with their lives, but anger, aggression and the fight/flight response will remain, won't it, because without it the evolutionary drive to survive would not be available if our species is in danger of imminent extinction. This is vanishingly unlikely to happen while I live, ......
And you, the Incurable Optimist?! [Big Grin]
I think I agree with you - but I like to hope that you are wrong, that humankind will come to its senses and evolve into something more beautiful, less with feeling the need to survive by eliminating those with whom it disagrees.
Yep, I've been called naive before.

quote:
I think economics played a significant role in the decline of religious participation. The more expressive forms of Christianity were supported best by the poor (Lanternari: The religions of the oppressed - I keep mentioning!). So, with upward social and economic mobility religious expression became less ('pentecostal') or disappeared. I am pretty sure I have observed this in my own lifetime with the (Caribbean) black-led churches in Britain - goodness me, even the longer established black-led churches join in the ecumenical activities of organisations they once thought beyond the pale. [Biased]

I wouldn't disagree with you here. All churches in Britain face the same formalising, upwardly-mobile impulses that the sociologists have noted. Once disdainful groups eventually seek the prestige of association with traditional churches.

However, I'm not sure if it's so wonderful that (millennial + other) working class black Pentecostals become discouraged and leave the church. They don't necessarily become more 'scientific' and 'rational' as a result, but they may lose the mutual support and cultural capital that they had previously had. (Some of them of course became Rastafarians, or more recently, Muslims. You might not see that as an improvement....)

The largest Black British Pentecostal denomination is now African, as you may know. It was probably more upwardly mobile movement than the Caribbean churches when it began. I assume it's already working with the mainstream churches occasionally, but the latter are becoming very weak in some places, so the social cachet of such partnerships is perhaps not what it was.

David Voas said that the future of British Christianity was in the hands of black believers, and if immigration continues, this may indeed be so. Christianity certainly isn't projected to be facing decline in Africa over the next century.

quote:
quote:

What method do they use then to reach a conclusion, or even a theory? What procedure do they follow? In all my years on forums, I have never heard of such an alternative method.
How do you know what music you find beautiful and meaningful, and why? How do you decide whether to marry someone, or whether you love someone? How do you know, for sure, that someone loves you? How do you decide who to vote for in the next election? How do you decide whether to keep up medical treatment in hopes of a cure or whether to call in hospice? How do you decide what justice looks like in a particular context and what is unjust in a particular context? How do you decide what things in life you value and what things you don't?

Yes, some scientific knowledge of human behavior and the like may help with some of these questions. And yes, many people answer these questions without consideration of God or the divine. The point is, there are lots of question that matter for which the scientific method is an inappropriate way to find an answer.

Meanwhile, in the context of this thread, I think it's very important to remember that rejection f chick, by millenials or anyone else, is not necessarily rejection of belief in God. People reject church for all kids or reasons, including rejection of institutions generally or a (justifiable) belief that church is mysogenist, racist, homophobic, classist and/or irrelevant. Hence the growing segment of the population here that identifies as "spiritual but not religious."

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:

However, I'm not sure if it's so wonderful that (millennial + other) working class black Pentecostals become discouraged and leave the church. They don't necessarily become more 'scientific' and 'rational' as a result, but they may lose the mutual support and cultural capital that they had previously had. (Some of them of course became Rastafarians, or more recently, Muslims. You might not see that as an improvement....)

I don't disagree with your general points. But, for some, presumably the social ties and support offered by the church were no longer needed and/or could be found anew in different communities (religious or otherwise).

quote:

David Voas said that the future of British Christianity was in the hands of black believers, and if immigration continues, this may indeed be so. Christianity certainly isn't projected to be facing decline in Africa over the next century.

This is a bit problematic. Seen from the inner city where I live, most 'mainstream' congregations are majority black. So it may be true to say that for cities but not for other areas: I cannot see the 'decline and fall 'of suburban and rural Christianity happening yetawhile.

Ah, I've forgotten that this thread is about millenials .... so I may be wrong.

quote:
Meanwhile, in the context of this thread, I think it's very important to remember that rejection f chick . . . .

{sigh}. I really did use preview post. That should have been rejection of church.

You are welcome, SusanDoris, though I have to admit this thread has taken different twists and turns than I expected.

I think there are certain historical and economic factors that do play into the rise and fall of religious attendance. Looking back at the history of my country, while we claim to be a religious nation our overall attendance has seldom been above 40%. Religious attendance reached its peak in the 50's, and I think two contributing factors were the return of servicemen from WWII and the rise of prosperity at that time.

However, if you compare that to the return of veterans from the Vietnam War there was not as much religious fervor among them.

It is true when times are tough people do turn to safe institutions such as the church when times are good people have other pursuits. Personally with the change of administration in the US, Brexit, the rise of nationalism in many democratic nations combined with worldwide economic fragileness we may be on the cusp of seeing a turnaround in religious attendance.

However, I think the "Evangelical" brand of Christianity will be shown to be fraudulent because of their support of the president-elect.

BTW, SusanDoris, I just read in my local paper that an atheist group has formed a Sunday Assembly in Salt Lake City, the center of Mormonism. This is based on the Sunday Assemblies in Britain. I like their motto: Live better; help often; wonder more. I think I can do business with them.

Nick wrote

quote:
People reject church for all kids sic of reasons, including rejection of institutions generally or a (justifiable) belief that church is mysogenist, racist, homophobic, classist and/or irrelevant.
I admit even in many liberal churches there were times when they have been misogynist, racist, homophobic, classist, and irrelevant. Fact is, there is a movement within the ELCA (#decolonizetheELCA) that argues in our desire to become integrated we actually put up more barriers to integration--long story. We have a lot of sins to confess in this regard. However, I would argue that we have done a lot to evolve into better institutions. Sometimes, though, we can be as slow as molasses on a cold winter's day, which I think frustrates many of the millennials I whom I have been working.

quote:
BTW, SusanDoris, I just read in my local paper that an atheist group has formed a Sunday Assembly in Salt Lake City, the center of Mormonism. This is based on the Sunday Assemblies in Britain. I like their motto: Live better; help often; wonder more. I think I can do business with them.

I wish more Christians I know had that motto.

quote:
Seen from the inner city where I live, most 'mainstream' congregations are majority black. [...] I cannot see the 'decline and fall 'of suburban and rural Christianity happening yet awhile.

Ah, I've forgotten that this thread is about millennials .... so I may be wrong.

Churches may be stronger in some well-heeled suburban areas, but in many rural areas congregations are frequently struggling, or have already closed.

In any case, to have a future, the average church needs to have younger members as well as older ones. Most people don't suddenly join a church when they reach middle age, or when they retire. So the absence of millennials isn't a minor issue.

As you say, there may be other good sources of support and community for millennials - but not many, ISTM, for young working class black men in the cities.

[ 27. December 2016, 23:58: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Another article to contribute to the discussion: My Emancipation from American Christianity.

Note, the article indicates he still believes in Christ, just not the Christ that is identified in American Christianity. Granted he paints in a very broad brush. But I think he voices the thoughts of those who would say they are spiritual, just not religious.

quote:
In other words chance and necessity.

As I understand it, life began by chance; it might have begun and quickly become extinct several times, but we know it began once. From then on, there is an unbroken line of life where those which have randomly mutated are lucky to have adaptations which enable them to survive changing conditions. I think it is an estimated 95 milion species that became extinct. Combined with natural selection and survival of the fittest, the process continues. Do you agree?

quote:
quote:
This is vanishingly unlikely to happen while I live, ......

I think I agree with you - but I like to hope that you are wrong, that humankind will come to its senses and evolve into something more beautiful, less with feeling the need to survive by eliminating those with whom it disagrees.
Yep, I've been called naive before.

My character, which includes optimism!, must be from my genetic make-up, but I’m also a realist and like to know things clearly, not through any disguising filter. I hope that enables me to appreciate better the infinite capacity of the brain to imagine. There is a margin between fact and fiction which will never disappear and where there are unknowns but it is becoming less as time goes on.

And back to those millennials! I do hope more and more of them are able to work towards a mor peaceful world – they will earn the respect and gratitude of millions – but to change the instinct of humans to total gentleness and love it would be necessary to intervene at such an early stage in evolution … and if that had happened, I think it is safe to say we would have become extinct before we started!

quote:
The point is, there are lots of questions that matter for which the scientific method is an inappropriate way to find an answer.

Thank you. As you can see I have taken this sentence out to respond to first. The scientific method, which I have just checked on Wikipedia, starts with a question, but that needs to be followed by observations via one or more of our senses. If this is not objectively possible, then the scientific method cannot be followedand it is the best and well-tried and tested method there is. What I have not seen yet is any other method of finding an objective answer to questions such as, ‘why are we here?’
quote:
How do you know what music you find beautiful and meaningful, and why? How do you decide whether to marry someone, or whether you love someone? How do you know, for sure, that someone loves you?
Apart from the fact that a very long time ago now!) I made a disastrous mistake there, all questions involving aesthetics are personal, subjective, and are formed in the brain which itself is entirely material.
quote:
How do you decide who to vote for in the next election? How do you decide whether to keep up medical treatment in hopes of a cure or whether to call in hospice?
I think about it and make a personal decision based on the best info I can find andtake responsibility for that decision..
quote:
How do you decide what justice looks like in a particular context and what is unjust in a particular context?
On this subject, my personal opinion might not be the same as the Law’s, but the code of law is the best people can do at present and in any case is constantly modified.
quote:
How do you decide what things in life you value and what things you don't?
By what I have observed, learnt, etc but there is no independent method by which we all might or must decide on what we value or not. Again basically it is subjective.
quote:
Meanwhile, in the context of this thread, I think it's very important to remember that rejection of chirch, by millenials or anyone else, is not necessarily rejection of belief in God. People reject church for all kinds of reasons, including rejection of institutions generally or a (justifiable) belief that church is mysogenist, racist, homophobic, classist and/or irrelevant. Hence the growing segment of the population here that identifies as "spiritual but not religious."
Yes, I agree.

quote:

Excellent!! I wish there was one near me!

I find it amusing that atheism doesn't know how to be incarnational either, doesn't even know, like that which it despises, that that is all that's needed and it wants to emulate the useless unincarnational model of that which it despises.

[ 28. December 2016, 10:15: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

quote:
I find it amusing that atheism doesn't know how to be incarnational either, doesn't even know, like that which it despises, that that is all that's needed and it wants to emulate the useless unincarnational model of that which it despises.

Not quite sure what you mean by incarnational, in relation to atheists, but certainly I know some Buddhists who (to me), embody life, I mean they live life to the full, they are open to life, and other people, and so on. Nowt to do with God.

Do atheists despise religion? News to me.

[ 28. December 2016, 10:29: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

quote:

Neither do I understand what you mean, can you flesh it out a bit.
However, here's one (non-theist) atheist who does not despise what I think you think I despise! My guess is that most atheists who have thought the issues through are too concerned about other things to despise very much at all.

I get the sense of 'incarnational' that all things are sacred, or life is sacred, and also that the profane and the sacred are one. Oh damn, does this mean that I have to produce an argument for that? No, I just assert it, as I am in the liminal space between Xmas and New Year, when all things are in the sacred womb.

quote:
quote:
quote:
This is vanishingly unlikely to happen while I live, ......

My character, which includes optimism!, must be from my genetic make-up, but I’m also a realist and like to know things clearly, not through any disguising filter.
I think that a realist ought to recognize that there are trends that are moving in a positive direction with respect to crime, child mortality, literacy and health that are likely to continue.

quote:
quote:

Neither do I understand what you mean, can you flesh it out a bit.
I was wondering whether to ask politely for a translation, please!
quote:
][/However, here's one (non-theist) atheist who does not despise what I think you think I despise! My guess is that most atheists who have thought the issues through are too concerned about other things to despise very much at all.
Also, religious beliefs have been such an integral part of history since before writing was invented that it would be foolish indeed to despise them. The more we know about them, the better future generations will be able to consider whether the various deities really exist or not.

There are positive things in society; however, I think somebody has already mentioned, the ongoing mass extinction is pretty awful. I see cheetahs are the latest animal under threat. And of course, climate change is a big black mark. I don't blame Christianity for these things.

quote:
I get the sense of 'incarnational' that all things are sacred, or life is sacred, and also that the profane and the sacred are one. Oh damn, does this mean that I have to produce an argument for that? No, I just assert it, as I am in the liminal space between Xmas and New Year, when all things are in the sacred womb.

Ah, okay, I can understand that - thank you! [Smile]

I like that q, embody life as translation for incarnationality.

I wish the atheist Sunday Assemblies well, more than well, may they spectacularly succeed in showing Christianity up, showing it the way in embodying life.

But I suspect they can't, despite the fine motto, a bit like Peter Cook's Permissive Society which met on a Tuesday evening at eight at a bedsit in Neasden.

Western Buddhism, atheist Sunday Assemblies, like Christianity are tiny minority pursuits all helplessly failing to embody life sacrificially, effectively beyond a mild lifestyle influence to the extent where anyone can say, yeah, that.

Islam now, wow!

quote:
There are positive things in society; however, I think somebody has already mentioned, the ongoing mass extinction is pretty awful. I see cheetahs are the latest animal under threat. And of course, climate change is a big black mark. I don't blame Christianity for these things.

Earlier this week I listened to a book called 'The Elephant whisperer' by Laurence Anthony which was excellent. A conservationist to his fingertips, Laurence Anthony died at the age of 62 in 2012 which is so sad when people like him are so needed. (He was the man who saved the Baghdad zoo.)

Oooh and Mark, I fully acknowledge that you are no despiser, I've always liked your contributions.

Atheist despising is pace the despite-arch, Dawkins and the sophomoric atheist self-congratulators all over FaceBook who will always fail as they can't love their enemies. Which SusanDoris genteelly flirts with.

I think I might be backsliding in to gnomic obscurantism, nay obscurity here ...

quote:
Oooh and Mark, I fully acknowledge that you are no despiser, I've always liked your contributions.

Thanks.

quote:
Atheist despising is pace the despite-arch, Dawkins and the sophomoric atheist self-congratulators all over FaceBook who will always fail as they can't love their enemies.

I don't see Hawkins as any sort of representative although I like some of what he says. And I don't do Facebook so cannot comment. I know few atheists who would bother to push their ideas on to others.

quote:
I think I might be backsliding in to gnomic obscurantism, nay obscurity here ...
I wouldn't be so unkind as to agree - oh, I don't know ... yes, I would .... I understand what you are saying! [Big Grin]

quote:
quote:

Excellent!! I wish there was one near me!
I think there is one near you - google their website.
For me, it seems to be too alike to church although I have never attended one. Church is still too close for me.

quote:
I think there is one near you - google their website.
For me, it seems to be too alike to church although I have never attended one. Church is still too close for me.

Thank you - I googled, and yes there is one in Bournemouth. I go with an atheist friend to Humanist group meetings there when we feel we want to listen to the talk. I'm very independent of course and wil go train/taxi or all taxi but there are times when only some peripheral vision is realy very annoying!

I spoke once at a humanist association meeting. My topic was on how Jesus in his day could be considered a free thinker. The talk was well received.

© Ship of Fools 2016