Thread: Swing low, sweet chariot - cultural appropriation? Board: Purgatory / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020106

Posted by mr cheesy (# 3330) on :

These two facts do not seem in dispute.

First, the song Swing low, sweet chariot has an association with the English national Rugby Union team which - surprisingly - only goes back a few decades.

Second, it was written (and/or popularised) in the 1860s as a spiritual and is often associated with slavery and is possibly even alluding to the underground railroad.

So - should the song be dropped as a crowd soundtrack to Rugby Union games because of that association? Is it possible that there is ingrained racism in English Rugby Union in that something sacred has been turned into a drinking song?

I suspect, but can't prove, that the use of the song has more to do with Eric Clapton and UB40 than as a direct swipe as African Americans.

And perhaps a wider thought: how many songs are popular at British sports events which are likely unsuitable when the words are considered? If it is some kind of hooded racism, how do you stop a crowd singing it ironically (and possibly even unintentionally, only ever knowing it as a drinking song)?

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Some people have taken something they like from another culture and used it in their own way. Isn't that how multiculturalism is supposed to work?

I don't see why it's any more racist than me making my own curries.

Posted by chris stiles (# 12641) on :

I don't see why it would be racist, unless there was a denial that it was originally a spiritual.

I dunno Martin, I think it is a bit like using a Wilfred Owen poem as ironic lyrics to a car advert.

If we imagine a culture that grows up using those lyrics ironically*, then it might be entirely understandable that those using them are entirely unaware of the origins.

But I still think we might find it hard to accept that a famous war poet is being used to sell cars. I think when one adds in the British role in transatlantic slavery, then the use of the song in rugby union contexts becomes - even unintentionally - racism.

*which might be tough to imagine, I was just trying to think of something quintessentially British which might turn the stomach if used in this way

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

This is an innocent question from university days and memories of the drinking song and actions. I always hated the song because of the actions, they felt pretty degrading to me. Are the actions connected with wanking or was this just a typical penis obsessed college version?

[ 10. March 2017, 09:00: Message edited by: Boogie ]

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
I don't see why it would be racist, unless there was a denial that it was originally a spiritual.

But surely on one level using something which was written and used in a very specific context as something completely different (and, let's be clear - it is basically a drinking song) is inherently racist. I'm not sure the participants ignorance of or denial of the truth really invalidates the idea that it is a racist use of someone else's heritage.

Posted by betjemaniac (# 17618) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:

I suspect, but can't prove, that the use of the song has more to do with Eric Clapton and UB40 than as a direct swipe as African Americans.

It's certainly a drinking song this side of the pond - especially in rugby clubs. Regardless of the "approved" history that it was something to do with a school choir at Twickenham in the 1980s it does seem if you talk to enough ancient rugby players to have been part of the repertoire at least back to the 1950s (complete with obscene hand actions), if not earlier, along with John Peel and Dido Bendigo.

I tend to think the onus here is on live and let live. If they started singing it for the first time tomorrow it would be a bit weird, but it's just something England fans do. You *really* don't want them singing Dido Bendigo instead.

BTW I think Clapton (certainly UB40) got the inspiration from rugby rather than the other way around. Not so sure of Clapton but UB40 recorded it as the official England World Cup Song.

Incidentally, I was just looking up in an old newspaper archive about the first mention of the song in Britain. It was from 1900 when a group of African Americans toured the country singing spirituals.

I'd would be fascinating to attempt to track the use and see if it retained some cultural memory from that event all the way through to the 1970s.

quote:
But surely on one level using something which was written and used in a very specific context as something completely different is inherently racist.

Why?

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

I suppose what distinguishes it from many bawdlerised versions of other hymns (e.g. the unsanitised words to When this lousy war is over) is the use of the original words for a bawdy purpose.

Crude, offensive to some maybe, but I don't feel it's that big a deal.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

ISTR the earliest use of Swing low Sweet Chariot in the rugby context is indeed at Twickenham but at the end of season Middlesex seven-a-side tournament. That is a true rugger bugger event. The support for England's national rugby team is diverse by comparison, although the song has been adopted.

Then again the other home nations have songs about saucepans, murder and direst threats. All that makes the Haka look mature and civilised.

quote:
I dunno Martin, I think it is a bit like using a Wilfred Owen poem as ironic lyrics to a car advert.

For all I know, that could be happening right now somewhere in the world. The idea doesn't bother me.

quote:
which might be tough to imagine, I was just trying to think of something quintessentially British which might turn the stomach if used in this way
Perhaps a better hypothetical example might be, say, Iranian football fans adopting Land Of Hope And Glory as their anthem.

Or if you want a real-life alternative, how about someone taking the British national anthem and rewriting it as a hymn to America?

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
at the end of season Middlesex seven-a-side tournament. That is a true rugger bugger event.

certainly used to be (before my time really) - allegedly the move to Rosslyn Park is recapturing some of that.

Tales of people openly barbecuing *in* the old west stand are legion - basically (for the non-rugby following Shipmates), back in the days before 7s got all professional the Middlesex 7s was an end-of-season jolly for clubs from around England to travel up to HQ and have an all-day party while some rugby happened in the vicinity.*

*in much the same way as the annual Army-Navy match still is.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
For all I know, that could be happening right now somewhere in the world. The idea doesn't bother me.

That's as maybe. The question is whether anyone else is bothered and whether we, as England rugby supporters, might want to be thinking about that when choosing which drinking songs to sing. I can imagine someone using a war poem in a brutish manner might cause offense. If it doesn't offend you, well meh.

quote:
Perhaps a better hypothetical example might be, say, Iranian football fans adopting Land Of Hope And Glory as their anthem.

Or if you want a real-life alternative, how about someone taking the British national anthem and rewriting it as a hymn to America?

I don't think either of those really match up to the idea of using a slave spiritual as a rugby drinking song.

quote:

Then again the other home nations have songs about saucepans, murder and direst threats.

Crikey, is that what Land of my Fathers is really about?
[Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:

Tales of people openly barbecuing *in* the old west stand are legion - basically (for the non-rugby following Shipmates), back in the days before 7s got all professional the Middlesex 7s was an end-of-season jolly for clubs from around England to travel up to HQ and have an all-day party while some rugby happened in the vicinity.*

Bloody south-eastern rugger halfwits. If you could get into the shed at Gloucester you were doing well - the idea that you'd have space to bbq is nuts.

quote:
quote:

Then again the other home nations have songs about saucepans, murder and direst threats.

[Big Grin]

No, the other home nations. Sioni Sais means English Johnny remember.

Posted by Kitten (# 1179) on :

quote:
quote:

[Big Grin]

No, Sosban Fach is the saucepan song, its about a housewife having a really bad day

quote:
]That's as maybe. The question is whether anyone else is bothered and whether we, as England rugby supporters, might want to be thinking about that when choosing which drinking songs to sing.

I think that's *a* question - but not *the* question. Largely because you can't tell a crowd what to sing. There is nothing more embarrassing than those dark corners of the sporting internet where fans of a particular side meet to talk - inevitably one of the younger, keener people will suggest "why don't we try singing this" and it never works. There's an element of sponteneity to it.

England rugby union have got Swing Low
West Ham - I'm forever blowing bubbles
Stockport County - the scarf my father wore (and given where that one comes from I think there's more to worry about in sport than Swing Low)
Oxford Utd - Sweet Caroline
Everton have been running out onto the pitch to the theme tune from Z Cars since the dawn of time

the point is no one really knows where these songs came from (as in into the ground/club, not who wrote them), why fans took to them, and why they stuck for years. That's why I think it's difficult to impute racism, appropriation or anything else - because people don't think things through that much. Something catches their ears and, for whatever reason, it sticks. Some (other) people won't like that at times, but I do think it's wrong to go straight for base motives (not you, in general).

For entirely understandable reasons the closest Moseley have got to this is that they play Kenny Rogers' The Gambler a lot. It doesn't often seem to help...

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
No, Sosban Fach is the saucepan song, its about a housewife having a really bad day

Probably the result of her husband coming home blind drunk, singing spiritual songs with obscene actions.

quote:
Bloody south-eastern rugger halfwits. If you could get into the shed at Gloucester you were doing well - the idea that you'd have space to bbq is nuts.

Much as I like the Shed, Twickenham even in the 70s and 80s was just a wee bit bigger....

quote:
Much as I like the Shed, Twickenham even in the 70s and 80s was just a wee bit bigger....

Bath, Gloucester and Leicester have rather stronger claims of being the home of English rugby, particularly given the idiotic things that happen at Twickenham.

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin]

No, the other home nations. Sioni Sais means English Johnny remember.
Sure, but I still thought you'd be in a position to help me out!

quote:
I think that's *a* question - but not *the* question. Largely because you can't tell a crowd what to sing. There is nothing more embarrassing than those dark corners of the sporting internet where fans of a particular side meet to talk - inevitably one of the younger, keener people will suggest "why don't we try singing this" and it never works. There's an element of sponteneity to it.

Yes, and that is something to think about. But simply saying "oh, well I'm not offended" isn't really engaging with the discussion. It isn't about whether individually Marvin is offended but about a deeper understanding of the way we (as a crowd, as a community) are using other people's heritage.

quote:
quote:

Bath, Gloucester and Leicester have rather stronger claims of being the home of English rugby, particularly given the idiotic things that happen at Twickenham.
You don't need to tell me any of that, I'm not from the south east. Anyway, my lot are up there too if you define it in terms of players sent to the England side and periods unbeaten. We've never been fashionable, but since 1873 we've had periods of being very good indeed. Incidentally, I think we were the first side to play Leicester at Leicester when they were new to the sport!

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

We could ban the singing of Sweet Chariot from sporting venues, and whilst we are about it we could demolish all historical architecture in English towns and cities built off the profits from slavery.

Didn't racism from the football terraces in Britain traditionally take the form of throwing items on the pitch and making a certain ridiculous and offensive chant? Not something that has ever happened at a rugby game to my knowledge.
That isn't to say underlying institutional racism hasn't existed in clubs, it most probably did/does. Just as it used to exist in the Police Force until relatively recently.

There does seem to be a determined movement out there which seems to want to force Britain to face up to it's racist past.

quote:
It isn't about whether individually Marvin is offended but about a deeper understanding of the way we (as a crowd, as a community) are using other people's heritage.

Sure, but where do you draw the line? Should we be burning all rock and pop records on the basis that they'd be nothing if "we" hadn't pinched the Blues (memorably described by Eric Idle in the Rutles as black music sung by white people)?

Surely the whole point of art is that the artist has no control over it once it's out there in the world? The item becomes a living, breathing thing and the property of the world to do with as they wish. Now, there's a question within that as to taste and decency, but not a prohibition.

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
We could ban the singing of Sweet Chariot from sporting venues, and whilst we are about it we could demolish all historical architecture in English towns and cities built off the profits from slavery.

Generally speaking, architecture is hard to do something about.

quote:
Didn't racism from the football terraces in Britain traditionally take the form of throwing items on the pitch and making a certain ridiculous and offensive chant? Not something that has ever happened at a rugby game to my knowledge.
I went to a lot of rugby when I was a teenager and I never saw any racist incidents like this, but then to be fair a game at Gloucester had a far smaller crowd than at even a medium sized football game. At Gloucester the shed has a soft spot for picking on refs rather than players.

Rugby union crowds generally seem fairly tame in England.

quote:
That isn't to say underlying institutional racism hasn't existed in clubs, it most probably did/does. Just as it used to exist in the Police Force until relatively recently.

There does seem to be a determined movement out there which seems to want to force Britain to face up to it's racist past.

I genuninely believe that if there was a rugby drinking song which turned out to be hidden references to white nationalism then crowds would stop singing them - because rugby is a family sport and supporters (particularly at international games) are fairly sensible.

The problem here is that the link seems tenuous and that there is some inbuilt inertia about it.

quote:
Sure, but where do you draw the line? Should we be burning all rock and pop records on the basis that they'd be nothing if "we" hadn't pinched the Blues (memorably described by Eric Idle in the Rutles as black music sung by white people)?

Hmm, I don't know. A whole style of music seems rather different to wholesale lifting of a song and using it for a different purpose to me.

quote:
Surely the whole point of art is that the artist has no control over it once it's out there in the world? The item becomes a living, breathing thing and the property of the world to do with as they wish. Now, there's a question within that as to taste and decency, but not a prohibition.
I'm not sure that's really true.

If someone makes a popular song then I don't know that they could really be offended if it is used in popular and even bawdy ways. If something is a protest song which developed as part of a movement and was written for a particular purpose, it might not be so hard to imagine people from that movement taking offense at it being used so loosely.

Posted by Liopleurodon (# 4836) on :

Cultural appropriation is a real issue, but it's an issue about hurting people. The key thing for me is "is this hurtful to the group this cultural artifact belongs to? Do they feel that something important is being stolen from them?" If people are hurt by it that's when you really need to tread more carefully. An example of this is the way that Native American cultural symbols have been used and abused as costumes by non-natives. Over and over the Natives have said "Please don't do this. These items are special to us and it's disrespectful." Another example might be the trend in the 1990s for young white people to take images related to Hinduism and stick them everywhere as decorations. If bindis are not part of YOUR religion, you shouldn't wear them. They're not just shiny things to put on your face.

Cultural appropriation is also something that a dominant culture does to a marginalised or minority culture. It's basically a form of "that thing that is important to you? Yeah, we'll have that as well. We can take whatever we want. Try and stop us!" I don't think the example of using a Wilfred Owen poem in a car advert would be cultural appropriation. Crass, perhaps.

As for SLSC: I think the question here is: to the modern descendants of slaves feel that it's inappropriate? Do they feel a particular connection with that song that they want it to remain a kind of historical artifact, or are they ok with it being used in this way? Bearing in mind that as individuals they may have a range of views on this. Because the main issue is whether or not this is hurting people.

quote:
I'm not sure that's really true.

If someone makes a popular song then I don't know that they could really be offended if it is used in popular and even bawdy ways. If something is a protest song which developed as part of a movement and was written for a particular purpose, it might not be so hard to imagine people from that movement taking offense at it being used so loosely.

Well if that's true then it's a good job Bellowhead have packed it in then - they've recorded more than a few 18th/19th century protest/anti-slavery songs rocked up and fit for dancing. Usually played (loud) to audiences wanting to have a party.

The point, (and this could be a whole other thread) is that protest music written to order is often dreadful. However much you might agree with the sentiments of a given movement, the music in support is mediocre "protest by numbers."

Sweet Chariot is *so* good that it has transcended it's own movement and broken out into the wider world - I'm pretty sure it's in our hymnbook at church. That creates a problem for the people who want to claim it as theirs (ie the successors to those oppressed on the underground railroad), but it has only gone viral, for want of a better term because it is that good a tune - regardless of what it's about.

Seems to me that that's part of where the problem is, the popularity has outstripped the message.

Yeah, that's also true. I don't know how to get hands around this, then.

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

Originally posted by Mr Cheesy:

quote:
Second, it was written (and/or popularised) in the 1860s as a spiritual and is often associated with slavery and is possibly even alluding to the underground railroad.

The fun things about a lot of spirituals is that they were written so that they could be sung without the slave owners being aware that they were signing about slavery. I remember singing 'Steal Away' in school assembly when I was a child and only, a couple of decades later, finding out that the stealing away was intended as much to be literal as metaphorical. I wonder how many of the people who sing it at Rugby matches are aware of its broader implications?

Let's hope the Cubans never decide to be mortally offended by the uses to which Guantanamera has been put by English football supporters over the years. Most notoriously the fans of Leeds United who chose to soundtrack their decline into mediocrity with the chorus: "One Yorkshire Ripper, there's only one Yorkshire Ripper".

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
quote:

It's certainly a drinking song this side of the pond - especially in rugby clubs. Regardless of the "approved" history that it was something to do with a school choir at Twickenham in the 1980s it does seem if you talk to enough ancient rugby players to have been part of the repertoire at least back to the 1950s (complete with obscene hand actions), if not earlier, along with John Peel and Dido Bendigo.
Speakng as one from the west side of the pond, it doesn't seem necessarily racist to me. (Then again, I'm not African American.)

But to many Americans familiar with the tradition, the idea of singing SLSC at a sporting event or as a drinking song, while not necessarily racist, defnitely seems bizarre.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
Speakng as one from the west side of the pond, it doesn't seem necessarily racist to me. (Then again, I'm not African American.)

But to many Americans familiar with the tradition, the idea of singing SLSC at a sporting event or as a drinking song, while not necessarily racist, defnitely seems bizarre.

When I was in elementary school, we used to sing this along with other spirituals. I am somewhat offended by hearing it as a drinking song with obscene gestures--not because of cultural appropriation but because it is a religious song.

Moo

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

When I was in elementary school, we used to sing this along with other spirituals. I am somewhat offended by hearing it as a drinking song with obscene gestures--not because of cultural appropriation but because it is a religious song.

Moo

To be clear, the "obscene gestures"/drinking song stuff is very much rugby club behind closed doors - to the extent that it may possibly have long died out. I've not seen it for years anyway.

At Twickenham it's just sung because it's just sung. Usually when England have done something good, or need jollying along/encouragement.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

I have lived all my life without ever knowing of the rugby connection with the spiritual Swing Low Sweet Chariot'. My father used to do a lot of singing when he was young, and at home would sing some of the spirituals and tell us something about them. I do not know whether my life has been enhanced or not by now knowing the song's connotations, but if I hear the subject mentioned on BBC Radio Five Live, I'll pay attention in future.

quote:
quote:

Moo

The Welsh rugby fans also belt out "Guide me o thou great Jehovah". I expect both the Welsh and English teams need all the divine help they need.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Swing Long Sweet Chariot was sung at summer camp in my childhood, usually after the all the silly songs, and right before Kumba Yah, and Day Is Done. All of them annoying. Bizarre except if perhaps used to taunt the opposition.

Posted by american piskie (# 593) on :

quote:

It was a well-established rugby song in the 1950s, even in the small towns of Scotland.

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

quote:
I am somewhat offended by hearing it as a drinking song with obscene gestures--not because of cultural appropriation but because it is a religious song.

This is what I find the most problematic too. (I'm not African American, but do have African ancestry.)

But British (and perhaps other Anglophone) people live in a secularised culture that sees famous religious music in fairly secular terms. 'Jerusalem' is enjoyed by people who have no wish to see God's kingdom built in England; an anti-theist like Richard Dawkins will gladly sing about the Lordship of a baby in a crib; and Happy Day is a mindlessly cheerful tune so long as one glosses over the reference to Jesus washing away sins.

quote:
Originally posted by american piskie:
quote:

It was a well-established rugby song in the 1950s, even in the small towns of Scotland.
You could have something there. Seven-a-side rugby originated in Melrose and it has a long history in the Border clubs. I'm not sure the gestures originated there though.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by american piskie:
quote:

You could have something there. Seven-a-side rugby originated in Melrose and it has a long history in the Border clubs. I'm not sure the gestures originated there though.
Having spent time in the clubhouses at Melrose, Hawick, Langholme, etc I really wouldn't bet against it...

Posted by Al Eluia (# 864) on :

quote:

"Dulce et decorum est to drive the new 2017 Ford Explorer!"

quote:

Or alternatively doing something unseemly to a poppy.

[It's interesting to note that the parts of the press that will be more outraged over this particular story, will not be averse to a large amount of media driven pressure when it comes to - say - presenters on the BBC wearing the poppy at the appropriate time of year]

Posted by Kwesi (# 10274) on :

........errr, didn't the African-American slaves (mis?)appropriately appropriate the image from Hebrew culture?

Furthermore, is not the rugby genesis of the verse normally associated with an international try scored by Chris Oti, an England player of Nigerian extraction?

I think English Rugger Buggers, however unwitting, should be applauded for their enlightenment!

quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:

Furthermore, is not the rugby genesis of the verse normally associated with an international try scored by Chris Oti, an England player of Nigerian extraction?

Well that's the official line but in a rugby context it long predates Chris Oti.

HST I agree with your point though - you'd be hard pressed to find a better behaved and more polite bunch than at an RU international; whether in London, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Dublin.

Billy Boston's treatment by Wales was shameful, but it was also a long time ago. Wouldn't happen now, and I'm sure the same happened in other sports and other countries (he's literally the only person I could think of off the top of my head who's talked about racism in rugby - in the British isles anyway. I'm sure there were - sadly- others).

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

In fairness, certain religious tunes just irresistably lend themselves to appropriation...

quote:
Glory glory Hallelujah,
Teacher hit me with a ruler!
Met her at the door with a loaded .44
And she ain't teachin' no more!

I really can't blame anyone for parodying the Battle Hymn, since it is just so damned user-friendly.

quote:
(he's literally the only person I could think of off the top of my head who's talked about racism in rugby - in the British isles anyway. I'm sure there were - sadly- others).

Can we just take it as read for the purposes of this thread that I'm fully aware of the Apartheid angle, but England fans are not 1960s/70s Afrikaners and we could have a multipage thread on that by itself. Minus the rebel tours most other nations behaved reasonably well post the 70s (although I think the Kiwis played a series against them as late as 81....).

It's just I read that comment back and thought, oh God what about South Africa....

An idiotic English prop called a welsh player a gypsy a little while back - and the book was thrown at him. So racism does happen, but I'm inclined to believe it is more likely to be from insults thrown around on the pitch than from the crowd.

quote:
An idiotic English prop

Admirable restraint there Mr C! I can think of other words....

He is reasonably good at playing rugby though.

quote:
Admirable restraint there Mr C! I can think of other words....

He is reasonably good at playing rugby though.

I'm old enough to believe that people go to watch rugby union to see a good game, not to see large men throwing around their handbags - and that crowds appreciate close games even when their team loses. Rugby union is tribal, but not that tribal.

I think most crowds would disown a player who was nakedly racist to another player, whoever they were playing for.

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

Of course it's cultural appropriation. But it is difficult to make people, specifically intoxicated sports fans to stop doing it.

The only thing we can do is better education for people willing to learn the history.

To use a churchy example, in a former parish, it was custom to have an African American soloist sing "Go down Moses", as a response to the Exodus reading in the Easter Vigil. I think that among those who knew about such liturgical matters, they knew the references to Pharoah and "Let my people go" refer not just to the Israelites and Egypt, but to black slaves and their white slaveowners in the south. It would be informative for the rest of the congregation, however, to have a note written in the service about the history of the hymn.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
........errr, didn't the African-American slaves (mis?)appropriately appropriate the image from Hebrew culture?

Because the black slaves were oppressing the Hebrews? Aside from that, it is Christianity that Willis was using and he was likely Christian himself.
Borrowing from other cultures is not bad, it is what humans do. Doing so without recognising the worth of that culture is, however.

It is a strange choice, given the lyrics by themselves; but given the context of the song's creation and history, exceedingly bizarre.

When the EDL sing it, they are bastards for doing so. Rugby fans, I'm not certain. Ignorant, to be sure, but not malign, IMO.

quote:

What planet are you from? Because on this one, in this Britain, it still does. The difference is that there are efforts to change it, not that it has magically disappeared.
quote:

When it no longer has a racist present, its racist past will be less of an issue.

Posted by Basilica (# 16965) on :

The idea that a text can have no history beyond its original composition is a remarkable one.

"Swing Low" is a piece of music written at a particular time using images from scripture. After the immediate context had passed, it was used in a variety of other contexts. Sometimes these were principally religious; sometimes they were principally campaigns for social justice; often they were both. Especially through folk music, it has entered popular culture away from its religious roots. The song has much more to it than anti-slavery.

There are times when a text's history should prevent it from being sung in a sporting context. For example, I remember being appalled at English cricket fans singing "Rule, Britannia" in the West Indies, including the line "Britons never shall be slaves". But this is not such an occasion.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
The idea that a text can have no history beyond its original composition is a remarkable one.

Texts are syncretic by nature.

Posted by DonLogan2 (# 15608) on :

quote:
So - should the song be dropped as a crowd soundtrack to Rugby Union games because of that association?
No, culturally it had a deeper meaning when it was sung by black slaves. Now it has another meaning, it may have come from some boorish or possibly racist background, but now it is used as a tribal chant because everyone else has a tribal chant. Do I get upset about "The fields of Athenry"? No, but a Rangers fan might and I suppose I might in this context too, but from a different perspective than a Rangers fan.

quote:
Is it possible that there is ingrained racism in English Rugby Union in that something sacred has been turned into a drinking song?
Not really, otherwise there would be other racist songs, just like the Rangers/Celtic idea above they don`t just sing about the fields, they have a whole host of offensive songs to rile each other.

It`s a song to get behind the team, yes it would be nice if people were educated about the origins, but banning just in case...nah, nanny state. Perhaps we need Maro and a few others to give their opinions?

I thought there were songs that couldn't be sung at the Old Firm matches..

quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:

I don't think anyone is saying this.
Slavery, and its horrors, inspired the hymn. Slavery in America is over, but the struggle for equality persists. So SWLC legacy has contemporary links that mirror its roots.
ISTM, this is the root of the objections. The repercussions of slavery mean it is not past history, but a continuing history.
quote:
Originally posted by DonLogan2:
Perhaps we need Maro and a few others to give their opinions?

Why? Maro is English of Nigerian descent. American Slave spirituals are not part of his culture. Black is a colour, not a single culture.

Posted by Jay-Emm (# 11411) on :

While on the other side we have the "White Poppy" fuss, and 'Happy holidays'* and others.
Which I guess is more cultural enforcement than appropriation. But shows that we as a group do do doublethink when we're the losers.

*that is the whining about someone else saying it.

Posted by Jay-Emm (# 11411) on :

Thinking about it the comments about Gay Marriage would be another ideal example.
That is when complaining about the thing by itself,
even when it's over there ('undermining the sanctity of marriage', etc...).
As supposed to being forced to host it, or anything like that (which is a different set of issues).

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

When the EDL sing it, they are bastards for doing so.

When the EDL sing SLSC, Jerusalem, Rule Britannia, or whatever, they are singing a set of England-associated songs, and using those songs to broadcast their nasty racism.

They are indeed bastards, but I don't think they're any more illegitimate for singing SLSC than any of the others. I'd bet that close to none of them have any idea of its origins. And if they don't know its origins, they can't be appropriating it maliciously.

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Liopleurodon:
Cultural appropriation is a real issue, but it's an issue about hurting people. The key thing for me is "is this hurtful to the group this cultural artifact belongs to? Do they feel that something important is being stolen from them?"

I think I agree with all of your post but I do object in general to the phrase 'cultural appropriation' because it sounds like it means a lot more.

We shouldn't hurt people, and we should also be aware that when we use a symbol from a culture not our own, the chances of inadvertently hurting someone may be higher than we realise. But the phrase 'cultural appropriation' sounds, to me, as though it is condemning any form of cross-cultural fertilisation, like Marvin eating curry. And, to your out-and-out racists, I'm pretty sure it sounds like 'political correctness mafia thought police', and does absolutely nothing to change underlying attitudes.

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
[qb]I do object in general to the phrase 'cultural appropriation' because it sounds like it means a lot more.

Culture is fluid, it always has been and likely always will be. There is nothing wrong with this in and of itself. However, dominant cultures have a habit of taking from those who they exploit whilst denigrating and/or them.

Posted by Kaplan Corday (# 16119) on :

There is a team in the Australian Football League called St Kilda, who are known as the Saints, and whose club song is the spiritual-based When The Saints Go Marching In.

I had never occurred to me (or anyone else, AFAIK) that they were guilty of "cultural appropriation", but now it is no doubt just a matter of time before some virtue-signaller decides to grab some attention and manufacture a grievance.

[ 10. March 2017, 19:41: Message edited by: Kaplan Corday ]

betjemaniac
quote:
Well that's the official line but in a rugby context it long predates Chris Oti.
Of course you are correct. I should have made myself clear. What I meant to say is that the Oti reference is when it first seems to have been used in an international context, which is the origin of the present pathetic controversy.

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
There is a team in the Australian Football League called St Kilda, who are known as the Saints, and whose club song is the spiritual-based When The Saints Go Marching In.

I had never occurred to me (or anyone else, AFAIK) that they were guilty of "cultural appropriation", but now it is no doubt just a matter of time before some virtue-signaller decides to grab some attention and manufacture a grievance.

Why would anyone care that they sing that?

Funny, though, how the advantaged seem to belittle any calling to attention of their privilege.

quote:
Culture is fluid, it always has been and likely always will be. There is nothing wrong with this in and of itself. However, dominant cultures have a habit of taking from those who they exploit whilst denigrating and/or them.

If the problem is exploitation and denigration, then attack those things rather than other things that even you say aren't wrong in and of themselves.

quote:

Why would anyone care that they sing SLSC? They're two songs from the same culture.

quote:
Funny, though, how the advantaged seem to belittle any calling to attention of their privilege.
Singing a song is privilege?

[ 10. March 2017, 20:40: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

quote:
quote:

Why would anyone care that they sing SLSC? They're two songs from the same culture.
Oh, such a happy statement. When the Saints Go Marching In was written by white people. It was made famous by a black man.

Posted by DonLogan2 (# 15608) on :

quote:
quote:
Perhaps we need Maro and a few others to give their opinions?

Why? Maro is English of Nigerian descent. American Slave spirituals are not part of his culture. Black is a colour, not a single culture. [/QB]
So let me get this right, who, in your opinion, is entitled to get upset about an American spiritual song being used by white English people? Only late 19/early 20th C American Black people?

quote:
So let me get this right, who, in your opinion, is entitled to get upset about an American spiritual song being used by white English people?

Keep up with the times, comrade. The English rugby team has black people in it now, too.

Keep up with the times? Keep up with logic, reason, comprehension and a little cognitive effort.

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

'Kinnell, Stetson, only in the rootin' rootin' sharp-shootin' gun-totin' US of Gun Culture A would anyone find a reference to a loaded .44 in a school yard rhyme.

Our rather more innocent bowldlerisation of Glory, Glory Hallelujah had the teacher being punched in the belly and wobbling like a jelly ...

Still violent but no firearms involved.

quote:
Keep up with the times? Keep up with logic, reason, comprehension and a little cognitive effort.

I'm (unsurprisingly) abreast of the arguments, but it seems to me that when black British people are also considered to be part of this problem, the problem itself isn't really one to die in a ditch for.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

I'm (unsurprisingly) abreast of the arguments, but it seems to me that when black British people are also considered to be part of this problem, the problem itself isn't really one to die in a ditch for.
I'm not certain it is either. That is why I said
quote:
I'm not certain
But I think you are missing my point. DonLogan2 said to ask a person who wouldn't understand why black Americans might find this offensive apparently because they are black. Not all black people share the same experiences or have the same culture. That people don't understand this is part of the problem.

quote:

Because whoever originally wrote it, and however it was originally sung, it has long been identified with black singers' and musicians' versions of it, particularly from New Orleans.

It could also be objected that a secular body like a football club has no right to appropriate music from a religious tradition (in the same way that non-Christians have no right to appropriate crucifixes and use them as fashion items, let alone intentionally use them for blasphemous purposes), but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Yeah, poor persecuted Christians. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

What about Dvorak's Symphony from the New World, based not upon any particular spiritual or Native American music but inspired by what he saw as the authentic voice of the US? Is that an appropriation?

quote:
When the Saints Go Marching In was written by white people. It was made famous by a black man.

Cultural appropriation!

quote:
quote:
So let me get this right, who, in your opinion, is entitled to get upset about an American spiritual song being used by white English people?

Keep up with the times, comrade. The English rugby team has black people in it now, too.
Though, the singing (at least during the game) is by the fans, not the players. So, the question is does "white English people" accurately reflect the people in the stands? From the crowd shots during games, I think it does quite well. And, of course, you can add relatively well off to the list of characteristics - by definition with enough money to buy tickets for an international rugby match (plus travel to get there).

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Theoretically there is a case for forbidding English rugby supporters from singing SLSC, it will doubtless be seized upon by the 'political correctness gorne mad' brigade thus putting more fuel in the tank of the very politics PC abhors.

quote:
Theoretically there is a case for forbidding English rugby supporters from singing SLSC, it will doubtless be seized upon by the 'political correctness gorne mad' brigade thus putting more fuel in the tank of the very politics PC abhors.

It would be difficult to ban singing SLSC but it would be reasonable to ban the notorious actions, which are degrading and offensive on a number of levels.

quote:
quote:
[qb]I do object in general to the phrase 'cultural appropriation' because it sounds like it means a lot more.

I agree with Marvin's response to this.

In my experience, when people say 'cultural appropriation', they are mostly describing something that is genuinely bad, but where the badness can be described without reference to cultural appropriation.

I read about a controversy a few months ago where a white male author was accused of 'cultural appropriation' for writing a book where the first-person narrator was a black woman. The substance of the complaint, in reality, wasn't that he had expressed the voice of a black woman but that he had done so ineptly - which is a crime against literature even before you get into identity politics - but describing the complaint in terms of 'cultural appropriation' leads to the obvious backlash of 'oh so you're saying no-one can ever create a viewpoint character that isn't of their own sex class and race?' One might reasonably respond that the backlash is based on a strawman, but the response to that is that one shouldn't use terms that invite such obvious strawmen.

The other day I was listening to an Africa author who was saying how hard it was to get book contracts with western (I think she meant US) publishers for two reasons; first the publishers only wanted typecast stories - particularly about slavery - rather than he ordinary love stories she wrote; and secondly because the most popular stories about Africa are written by White middle-aged authors with very limited knowledge about that culture.

I think it is hard to argue against this, but needs a major cultural change for this to be any different.

I saw something similar in the Grauniad. The idea that a black author might want to write about, say, an eighteenth-century Venetian courtesan, rather than racism and the legacy of colonialism, causes publishers' heads to explode.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Though, the singing (at least during the game) is by the fans, not the players. So, the question is does "white English people" accurately reflect the people in the stands? From the crowd shots during games, I think it does quite well. And, of course, you can add relatively well off to the list of characteristics - by definition with enough money to buy tickets for an international rugby match (plus travel to get there).

Presumably the black players have at at least one black parent and possibly black siblings who might attend international matches at spectators.

But singing SWSC isn't aimed at being offensive to black people in the same way that (now banned) sectarian songs sung at Old Firm matches were meant to be. Yes, you can put sexist actions to it - but they're not racist actions, AFAIK. I'm trying not to engage in a case of whataboutary, but frankly, if this is the only problem Rugby Union has, it's in pretty rude health.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
quote:

Because whoever originally wrote it, and however it was originally sung, it has long been identified with black singers' and musicians' versions of it, particularly from New Orleans.
You have it a little backwards, at least for how things are in the States. "Oh When the Saints Go Marching In" is primarily identified with New Orleans, where jazz musicians—many but not all of whom are black—made it a jazz standard. It is not identified with African Americans specifically, much less with slavery, the same way that SLSC is. "Oh When the Saints" = New Orleans.

That said, it continues to be performed in a variety of styles and by a variety of musicians with no New Orleans connections—Bruce Springsteen included.

In any event, I don't think the team in St. Kilda need worry too much. The New Orleans Saints football team takes its name from the song, as well as from the fact that the team was established on November 1. "Oh When the Saints" is the team's touchdown song.

quote:

I read about a controversy a few months ago where a white male author was accused of 'cultural appropriation' for writing a book where the first-person narrator was a black woman. The substance of the complaint, in reality, wasn't that he had expressed the voice of a black woman but that he had done so ineptly - which is a crime against literature even before you get into identity politics - but describing the complaint in terms of 'cultural appropriation' leads to the obvious backlash of 'oh so you're saying no-one can ever create a viewpoint character that isn't of their own sex class and race?' One might reasonably respond that the backlash is based on a strawman, but the response to that is that one shouldn't use terms that invite such obvious strawmen.

It only "invites" a strawman because people do not wish to be called on their shit.

There is a massive and continuing history of white people representing black people without giving two shits about understanding the people of whom they are writing. It isn't a strawman.
Take Tony Hillerman. A white man writing about Navajo main characters in a Navajo setting. The Navajo, as a group, appear to have been accepting of him because he wrote respectfully and attempted to understand the characters and culture. He did not get everything correct, but his books were not bullshit based on stereotypes.
As mention up thread, actual black people writing about black people have a difficult time getting published. so writing them poorly adds insult to injury.

quote:
quote:

It only "invites" a strawman because people do not wish to be called on their shit.
No, that's the reason why people accept the invitation.

My point is that the phrase is open to silly and strawman interpretations because it's so vague and abstract, and because it appeals to the sort of people who say things like 'white male privilege' and 'othering', when we really need to be speaking to people who say things like 'PC brigade' and 'social justice warriors' and 'virtue signalling'.

And to be honest, I think the past few years have shown that the progressive tendency to call people on their actions, without doing anything to change the underlying attitudes that give rise to those actions, has not been terribly successful.
quote:
There is a massive and continuing history of white people representing black people without giving two shits about understanding the people of whom they are writing. It isn't a strawman.
No. The strawman is that cultural appropriation means 'no-one can ever create a viewpoint character that isn't of their own class sex or race'. Which I thought was obvious from the part of my post that you quoted, but apparently not.

quote:

And to be honest, I think the past few years have shown that the progressive tendency to call people on their actions, without doing anything to change the underlying attitudes that give rise to those actions, has not been terribly successful.

If one cannot point out that the attitudes are wrong, there is no hope of changing them. They will not do so by themselves. A young white man tried to tell me, and an older black woman, that racism did not exist any longer. We related our experiences with racism as the first step. He said he did not see racism happening, the second step is to try to educate him as to why. Privilege allows one to ignore what others cannot. Without calling attention to this, they have no reason to look further.

Yes, I agree. Our interventions need to address people's attitudes and not just their actions.

For example:

You shouldn't wear a bindi because it's cultural appropriation - alienating because it doesn't really provide a reason.

You shouldn't wear a bindi because it's treating people's beliefs about the meaning of life as wallpaper - is at least inviting people to consider their attitudes towards Hindus and facial decoration.

quote:

Take Tony Hillerman. A white man writing about Navajo main characters in a Navajo setting. The Navajo, as a group, appear to have been accepting of him because he wrote respectfully and attempted to understand the characters and culture. He did not get everything correct, but his books were not bullshit based on stereotypes.

I hadn't thought of Hillerman, that's an interesting example. I was more thinking of Alexander McCall Smith's books about Botswana.

I don't know much about Hillerman, but his work always seemed to me to contain a lot of knowledge and respect of the cultures he is discussing.

McCall Smith was an Englishman in Africa for part of his career and yet seeks to speak "for" Botswana. That can't be anything other than bogus, however enjoyable his books are.

quote:
The strawman is that cultural appropriation means 'no-one can ever create a viewpoint character that isn't of their own class sex or race'.

This isn't a strawman. I've heard people actually say this (to white male writers) and mean it.

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

quote:
<snip>I was more thinking of Alexander McCall Smith's books about Botswana.<snip>
McCall Smith was an Englishman in Africa for part of his career and yet seeks to speak "for" Botswana. That can't be anything other than bogus, however enjoyable his books are.

I don't think "an Englishman in Africa" was ever an accurate description of McCall Smith.

He was born in Bulawayo in Zimbabwe where his Scottish father was a public prosecutor. His mother wrote, but was never published. He lived there for the first 18 or 19 years of his life.

He went to Edinburgh to study law and then taught in Belfast, and in 1980, on sabbatical AFAICT from Edinburgh University, taught law in Swaziland and then 1981 was part of the team from the Edinburgh Law Faculty involved in helping to start the University of Botswana's law programme. He lived there for the first year. After that he returned to Botswana on yearly basis for many years

He seems quite happy to be called a British writer, but it is, I think, an act of more than cultural appropriation to describe him as an Englishman, and understates his long and varied involvement with Africa, and Botswana in particular merely to describe him as having been "in Africa for part of his career".

It has been commented that he takes a very 'warm' view of Botswana (which is true), but then he also takes a very warm view of Edinburgh too.

I apologise to all Scots for describing this eminent professor an Englishman. All other parts of my comment stand - he has made a writing career from extremely limited knowledge about Botswana.

However often he has been there, he is clearly far less qualified to write about it than someone who lives there.

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:

He was born in Bulawayo in Zimbabwe where his Scottish father was a public prosecutor. His mother wrote, but was never published. He lived there for the first 18 or 19 years of his life.

I've not read Mcall Smith's books, so this isn't a direct comment on him. But if you think a Brit cannot live in a foreign country and still be not only be British, but also ignorant of the local culture, you are sadly mistaken.

quote:
I've not read Mcall Smith's books, so this isn't a direct comment on him. But if you think a Brit cannot live in a foreign country and still be not only be British, but also ignorant of the local culture, you are sadly mistaken.

I don't think he is ignorant of the local culture and I have read and enjoyed his work. The problem isn't that he knows absolutely nothing, but that he clearly has limited knowledge which he has turned into a career - and almost by default has become for many "the voice" of Botswana and/or Africa.

It says something about us that the only voice we hear about Botswana was written by a white guy who spent very little time there.

Posted by Cod (# 2643) on :

There's a point missing here, which perhaps someone could clear up easily. What makes something cultural misappropriation is its use without caring about what the group it most clearly belongs to thinks. So, having a debate on whether a using particular song, visual image etc is cultural misappropriation without getting a view from that group seems just as presumptuous an imposition of our own values as deciding to use it in the first place.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying: have any people of colour from the southern USA actually complained?

In the modern, multicultural world, cultures borrow from each other all the time without anyone minding, even when the culture being borrowed from has previously been oppressed. Curry (mentioned above) is an obvious example. I think you can't presume cultural misappropriation until it's clear that offence has actually been caused.

quote:
Yeah, poor persecuted Christians.

Who said anything about persecution of Christians?

Believe it or not, there are many places in the world where Christians are persecuted.

Non-Christians in Western countries using crucifixes inappropriately (from a Christian point of view) is an example of neither persecution nor cultural appropriation (though it is a case of inconsistency on the part of the cultural appropriation brigade when they selectively ignore it).

It is instead an example of the freedom we all take for granted in liberal, pluralist. multicultural societies to use whatever in the cultural mix comes our way - and to object (non-coercively) if we don't like particular instances of that happening.

The "artist" who put together the installation Piss Christ ( a crucifix in a bowl of urine) was free to do so, and Christians who didn't like it were free to say so.

Anyone who doesn't like this arrangement might like to think for a moment of the alternatives to it in other times and other places.

[ 11. March 2017, 19:40: Message edited by: Kaplan Corday ]

Has anyone from Botswana objected to McCall Smith's books?

quote:
quote:
The strawman is that cultural appropriation means 'no-one can ever create a viewpoint character that isn't of their own class sex or race'.

This isn't a strawman. I've heard people actually say this (to white male writers) and mean it.
Fair enough - I was charitably assuming that most users of the phrase aren't so silly ...

Posted by Eliab (# 9153) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh, such a happy statement. When the Saints Go Marching In was written by white people. It was made famous by a black man.
What is it about a song that puts me on notice that it was written by a black person or a white one? Sure, there are musical styles that suggest one or the other, but I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to know whether my best guess is likely to be correct. Am I under an obligation to check the origins of a song before singing it? That seems absurd to me.

I get that there's such a thing as taking the piss. I get that there's such a thing as blasphemy or profanity. I get that there's such a thing as crassness. I get that singing a song from another person's culture can (but need not be), crass, profane, piss-taking. That could certainly be offensive (though even then, I'm not sure that it would always be wrong. Racial caricatures aside, there is a legitimate place for parody).

But usually, a song is just a song. If it's not sung with malice, and there are no reasonable grounds for believing it to be sung with malice, saying that there are songs I shouldn't sing because I'm the wrong nationality or colour sounds like nonsense to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What is it about a song that puts me on notice that it was written by a black person or a white one? Sure, there are musical styles that suggest one or the other, but I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to know whether my best guess is likely to be correct. Am I under an obligation to check the origins of a song before singing it? That seems absurd to me.

I get that there's such a thing as taking the piss. I get that there's such a thing as blasphemy or profanity. I get that there's such a thing as crassness. I get that singing a song from another person's culture can (but need not be), crass, profane, piss-taking. That could certainly be offensive (though even then, I'm not sure that it would always be wrong. Racial caricatures aside, there is a legitimate place for parody).

But usually, a song is just a song. If it's not sung with malice, and there are no reasonable grounds for believing it to be sung with malice, saying that there are songs I shouldn't sing because I'm the wrong nationality or colour sounds like nonsense to me.

of course it sounds like nonsense to you, you are white. You have not seen your culture mined for profit whilst being denigrated simultaneously.
I am not making a statement about who can sing what, BTW. I happen to think sharing music can be a wonderful way to share culture. But that is the point, sharing not taking.

quote:
Originally posted by Cod:

All of which is a long-winded way of saying: have any people of colour from the southern USA actually complained?

Most Americans, of any colour, don't know what rugby is much less its British fan affectations.
The current fuss appears to have begun here in this New York Times article.*
The two black academics quoted in the article don't seem to be calling for anyone's heads.
BTW, black Americans with slave ancestors are not confined to the south, nor is the use of SLSC.

*Paywall after viewing 10 articles in one month.

quote:
I was more thinking of Alexander McCall Smith's books about Botswana.

I've read several of them. I have no knowledge of Botswana at all, but the books are obviously based on McCall Smith's fond impression of Botswana. As novels, they do well: the characters leap off the page.

I don't find them exploitative, unless you take the (to my mind nutty) view that an author can only write about people like him or her - in which case, all novels would be very dull indeed.

quote:
you are white. You have not seen your culture mined for profit whilst being denigrated simultaneously.

Because white people only have one culture... [Roll Eyes]

quote:
quote:
you are white. You have not seen your culture mined for profit whilst being denigrated simultaneously.

Fair cop. No, they don't and there are white cultures* that are denigrated by the majority. His statement, though, does not indicate that he is from any of those. Else he might understand a little better.

*That is to say, cultures which are majority, and/or dominated by, people of prominent pallor.

quote:
I am not making a statement about who can sing what, BTW. I happen to think sharing music can be a wonderful way to share culture. But that is the point, sharing not taking.

What's the difference?

Or more to the point, how am I, a white guy who neither has, nor really cares enough to acquire, a specialist knowledge of musical history, supposed to know what music has been legitimately inspired by black artists in a fruitful act of cultural sharing, and what has been wrongfully 'taken'?

Can music be "taken" anyway? If I sing (badly) a song which has cultural significance to you, I don't deprive you of it. It's still yours to enjoy. All the meaning and pleasure there ever was in the song when sung well is still there for you to appreciate, and, if you have the talent, use to inspire your own creativity.

I can, as I've said, take the piss - and we'd both recognise that's what I was doing. I can't take the music - and I honestly have no idea how you would distinguish what you are referring to as 'taking' from what I'd see as sharing.

An example I used the last time a similar subject was raised here - I was at a LARP event a while ago which was set in the 1940s and included swing dancing. The racial mix of the participants was mostly white British, with some other white Europeans and Chinese. Was that taking, or sharing, a black musical style? How would the difference which you think is important manifest itself in that case? What do you need to know, before you decide whether or not you approve of me taking part?

I think it's easy to see how the difference between dancing, and taking the piss out of black dancers, (the difference that I think is important) would be expressed - it takes less than a second's thought to visualise the difference between white people swing dancing (even badly) just as a way of dancing, and white people doing it to caricature and mock. A person of good faith and even minimal sensitivity would be able to tell one from the other almost instantly. What you'd need to ask to find out what I was doing is simple - was I trying to make the dance (and thus by extension the race and culture associated with it) look foolish or ridiculous?

In contrast, I can't understand the basis for the distinction you want to make, and if you could explain it to me, I don't see why I should necessarily agree with you.

[ 11. March 2017, 23:09: Message edited by: Eliab ]

Swing dancing is an interesting choice. In its early heyday, white people would go to Harlem to the black clubs to dance. They were sharing, participating; not stealing and ignoring.
Benny Goodman integrated his band; sharing.
Pat Boone was part of an early attempt to cash in on black music without actually using black people:Stealing.
Not that there is always a clear line, there rarely is. what is appreciation and what is appropriation will rarely have a clear answer. It remains though, that until hip hop, white people made considerably more money from black music than did black people.
That is hardly sharing.

quote:
Not that there is always a clear line, there rarely is. what is appreciation and what is appropriation will rarely have a clear answer.

OK, but if there's no clear answer, on what principles do you decide whether, and in what circumstances, I can (try to) sing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"?

You've suggested (and I fully accept) that as a white person I don't have the same perspective as someone whose culture has been treated badly. That's right. As a result, there is absolutely nothing cultural that I feel possessive about. I can't imagine ever objecting to anyone else enjoying 'my' culture on the grounds that they are the wrong nationality or race. Trying to imagine it feels like trying to invent a new and unnecessary rule.

If you don't agree that the rule is unnecessary and think that I ought to follow it, you need to be able to explain clearly to someone who not only does not, but really cannot, see things the way you do, what the rule actually is.

quote:
It remains though, that until hip hop, white people made considerably more money from black music than did black people.
That is hardly sharing.

No, it's probably a combination of market forces (until an artist is well known enough for the balance to tip, what the populariser/distributor of a work does simply is more commercially valuable than what the originator does), exploitation (people without commercial clout being screwed over by people who have it), intentional racism (not wanting to listen to or perform with black people), and systematic racism (it being harder, in a white, racist, society, to encounter and learn to appreciate music created by blacks until it starts to be noticed by enterprising whites).

Some of that is blameworthy directly, some is the consequence of other wider injustices. Does the concept of cultural appropriation, widen the category of what would we ought to consider exploitative and unjust?

[ 12. March 2017, 07:19: Message edited by: Eliab ]

I'm not sure this has been mentioned but in amongst all the other aspects of ownership and authorship is that of the author's moral rights. These, as with other intellectual property rights vary from place to place but basically they protect the author's right to be identified as the author, restricts the scope of parody and prevents mutilation. In some places they are perpetual.

That raises the question: are the author's moral rights being infringed by appropriation and, in the case of SLSC by those gestures? Moreover, can the author's moral rights be extended to the author's community?

Heck, I don't know. IANAL still less an IP lawyer, just a layman who has heard of the things and knows where to look.

In circumstances where the author is Anon or Trad, copyright is impossible. Even if you were the first to transcribe an oral telling, if you acknowledge that you weren't the creator, then you have no copyright over that work.

And even then, parodies, homages and suchlike have a protected place in copyright law. And even then, things like fan and 'slash' fiction are not infringements of copyright if they're not for commercial advantage.

The whole point of copyright is to reward the original creator of a piece of IP (in this case, a melody and/or lyrics). The IP is in and of itself a commodity (IIRC, Michael Jackson owned the rights to the Beatles back-catalogue). Rights holders, who may or may not be the original creator of the work, can sell a licence to use the work to anyone who applies, whether or not the original creator approves.

Posted by wild haggis (# 15555) on :

Let's all sing "Flower of Scotland" and that will stop the arguments!!

Seriously, if we analysed everything we sang we wouldn't sing anything.

What about hymns? Some I refuse to sing the words of.

Let's all just sing "la, la, la" if we aren't happy with the words and it's a good tune!

quote:

You've suggested (and I fully accept) that as a white person I don't have the same perspective as someone whose culture has been treated badly. That's right.

Thing is, I do not believe being white precludes you from gaining some inkling. There were, and are, white people in every civil rights movement. What do they see what you do not? I cannot answer this for you, Eliab. Privilege is the fact that you do not need to do so.
quote:

As a result, there is absolutely nothing cultural that I feel possessive about. I can't imagine ever objecting to anyone else enjoying 'my' culture on the grounds that they are the wrong nationality or race.

Again, it is your privilege speaking. But it does amaze me. You write as if you are educated, which would imply at least a smattering of history. You are not, by your profile, incredibly old. This should translate to at least a modicum of understanding.
The divisions are clearest in the US. Most black people in the US have a history truncated at slavery and have not been allowed an identity of their own. And the sub-cultures they have created are mined for profit whilst still oppressing the creators.
quote:

If you don't agree that the rule is unnecessary and think that I ought to follow it, you need to be able to explain clearly to someone who not only does not, but really cannot, see things the way you do, what the rule actually is.

Start here.

quote:
No, it's probably a combination of market forces (until an artist is well known enough for the balance to tip, what the populariser/distributor of a work does simply is more commercially valuable than what the originator does), exploitation (people without commercial clout being screwed over by people who have it),

Elvis Presley was an unknown when he started singing black music. As was Pat Boone and numerous others. Whilst some began singing because they liked the music, many were signed to contract to avoid using the originators. "Race Music" as it was called, was black music for black folk. When white people began to listen in sufficient numbers, white record companies hired white musicians to avoid hiring black.(I am not a music historian, But I am a fan or early American blues.)

quote:

intentional racism (not wanting to listen to or perform with black people),

This will likely be somewhat true. However, as I mentioned, the music started becoming popular sung by black folks first.

quote:

Some of that is blameworthy directly, some is the consequence of other wider injustices. Does the concept of cultural appropriation, widen the category of what would we ought to consider exploitative and unjust?

Cultural appropriation is an issue largely because of the wider injustices.

Early black music is the problem writ large, but sometimes the writing is more subtle. I've no clear line of demarcation for you, Eliab. Partly because there isn't one. There are instance where it is clear, yes, but there are many where it is not and many where it is an amalgam.

Coldplay and Beyonce* released a song about infatuation. The video was a beautifully shot montage in India. The scenery and people have naught to do with the song, they are jewellery, costume. Is this cultural appropriation? Of course it is. Is it negative or offensive? That is a more difficult question.

*Beyonce is an American, black female singer.
Coldplay is a British bag of pretension
Kidding, I actually like some of their music.

[ 12. March 2017, 15:54: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
There's a point missing here, which perhaps someone could clear up easily. What makes something cultural misappropriation is its use without caring about what the group it most clearly belongs to thinks. ...

Hear, hear!

Whose song is this? According to Wikipedia the author may well be unknown. If anyone is known, it was written by a man who was either a Native American or (and I was surprised to learn this possibility existed) an African American who was a slave of a Native American. If there is a traceable author, he died at least 130 years ago.

So apart from the obvious fact that none of us posting on this thread have asked them whether they mind or not, there's nobody around now who is entitled to be offended. We are all speaking out of our own emotional agendas not from those whose opinions are legitimate or relevant.

Besides, the English Rugby team is in England. English copyright law recognises foreign copyrights. As is the way with copyright law in most countries, it does not protect a foreign claim to copyright outside the period and circumstances that it would protect if the work were first published here. That's the author's life + 70 years.

Those who have chosen to be offended so as to make some point of their own will probably say, 'what has law got to do with this - this is a principle; what you are saying is pilpul'. However we have to draw a line somewhere. We are entitled to do so. In the case, the law provides quite good rationale for doing so.

This song is public domain now. And if no original author has any claim to be offended, by so much less does any group of people have any greater claim to be offended than any other group has an equal or greater claim to say 'get lost'.

quote:
Thing is, I do not believe being white precludes you from gaining some inkling.

Hence my engagement with you on this thread - which I hope is enquiring rather than argumentative.

But engagement requires honesty, and my honest starting position is that the whole concept of objecting to cultural appropriation doesn't resonate with me at all. There's absolutely nothing analogous to it that I can imagine myself being offended by. I'm not going to pretend to have more empathy than I do - because my difficulty in understanding is precisely that the concept is, to me, a truly bizarre one.

It is a very different concept to being offended at discrimination or caricatures. Those are things I understand. While its true that I've never personally had to deal with a racial caricature aimed at me, or been the victim of racial discrimination, I can understand that mockery and injustice hurt, because these are things are analogous to the sort of (lesser) unfairnesses and scorn everyone encounters to a greater or lesser extent.

If the cultural appropriation thing reduced to "this is important to me - please don't take the piss out of it", that would make perfect sense. Similarly if the objection were only "please don't use a caricature to represent a generic person from my culture, because that's what other people have used in malice", that's perfectly understandable, too. The blog you link to contains objections of both sorts, and to that extent I agree with it.

But unless I'm badly misunderstanding the points, you, and the blog writer, want to take it further than that, and have a category of "appropriation" which isn't scornful, and isn't a stereotype, and yet means that a person perceived to belong to one culture shouldn't express themselves in a way associated with another culture. You both also allow that there is a category of respectful sharing of cultures, which is superficially similar (to me, indistinguishable) but which you think is unobjectionable. It's that area, and that area only, which calls for explanation.

Further, it seems to me that there are different sorts of 'respectfulness'. What is appropriate at a rugby match might not be appropriate at a religious service, but that doesn't make it fair to categorise behaviour in a relatively uninhibited setting as being disrespectful. And views about what is respectful can differ. The blog writer you link to, for instance, considers that her choice to wear a bindi "proudly" as a sign of her Indian heritage is legitimate, even though she does not claim to have any religious belief in the ideas that it symbolises, but thinks that another person using the same form of expression for mere adornment is being "horribly disrespectful". That is, no doubt, her honest opinion, to which she is entitled, but I can't see that it is any more right or wrong than a more permissive, or more restrictive view about what is appropriate.

I don't think that a strict Hindu would be justified in criticising her view that heritage-without-faith was enough to make a bindi appropriate as "horribly disrespectful" - it clearly isn't, even if the Hindu would prefer that it were only used to manifest actual belief. Plainly she isn't trying to disrespect anything. But exactly the same can be said of things that the writer does disapprove of - and she condemns these unreservedly as racist.

[ 12. March 2017, 18:54: Message edited by: Eliab ]

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
There's a point missing here, which perhaps someone could clear up easily. What makes something cultural misappropriation is its use without caring about what the group it most clearly belongs to thinks. ...

Hear, hear!

Whose song is this?

No one one this thread is making a massive deal about Swing Low Sweet Chariot. Even the OP is not. As far as the copyright, that was mention tangentially to discuss moral rights of the author. In this case, the author was a slave an he is dead. His master is dead and I do not think copyright laws of the time would transfer his ownership to present day. INAL.

quote:
The blog writer you link to, for instance, considers that her choice to wear a bindi "proudly" as a sign of her Indian heritage is legitimate, even though she does not claim to have any religious belief in the ideas that it symbolises, but thinks that another person using the same form of expression for mere adornment is being "horribly disrespectful".

The attitudes of Indians in general and Hindus in particular toward the bindi/tilak vary enormously.

There is no one 'line".

Some Hindus are quasi-fascist nationalist about their religion, and others laid back, syncretistic and tolerant.

Some are offended by non-Indians or non-Hindus wearing a bindi, and others are flattered by it.

When we lived in India, we knew of cases in touristy situations in which visitors almost forcibly had a bindi painted, on them (or had to fight to resist it) as a welcome- a bit like a lei in some Pacific cultures.

Anyone who claims to be offended by non-Indians or non-Hindus wearing a lei can never be assumed to be speaking for all, or even the majority.

Bugger!

Lei in that last sentence should be bindi, of course.

quote:
Privilege is the fact that you do not need to do so.

Polemical exploitation of someone's alleged "privilege" in a context such as this is an attempt at emotional blackmail, and a bluff which must always be called.

Just about everyone has ancestors who were violated at some point in history by another ethnic or national group (my Welsh ancestors were subjugated by the English), and while that abuse might have been genuine and appalling, it is not an excuse to avoid arguing cases on their intrinsic merits by introducing an ad hominem element into the discussion.

Thus, for example, it would be inexcusable for a German to deny the Holocaust, but it would also be inexcusable to deny a German's right to take a pro-Palestinian stance on the Israel/Palestine conflict on the grounds that his ancestors had benefitted from the exploitation of Jews.

quote:

But unless I'm badly misunderstanding the points, you, and the blog writer, want to take it further than that, and have a category of "appropriation" which isn't scornful, and isn't a stereotype, and yet means that a person perceived to belong to one culture shouldn't express themselves in a way associated with another culture.

Not exactly, not on my part. Again, culture is fluid and there will cross-cultural influence.

quote:

You both also allow that there is a category of respectful sharing of cultures, which is superficially similar (to me, indistinguishable) but which you think is unobjectionable. It's that area, and that area only, which calls for explanation.

Benny Goodman played black music. Literally. He purchased music from Fletcher Henderson without whom Goodman might not be the seminal figure he is. He also integrated his band, something not generally done at that time.
quote:

Further, it seems to me that there are different sorts of 'respectfulness'. What is appropriate at a rugby match might not be appropriate at a religious service, but that doesn't make it fair to categorise behaviour in a relatively uninhibited setting as being disrespectful.

Why? Again, I'm not planting my flag on the use of SLSC, but I get the reason some people might not be col with it.

quote:

And views about what is respectful can differ.

Of course. And it is inconsistent.

Again, the biggest issue is respect and general treatment. People will care much less about who references their culture when they are treated fairly by the borrowers.

quote:
quote:

Polemical exploitation of someone's alleged "privilege" in a context such as this is an attempt at emotional blackmail, and a bluff which must always be called.
Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit. People in a dominant position can ignore things others cannot. Without referencing this, how can it be remedied?
This is the very problem, as soon as an injustice is mention, someone begins to whinge that they are being oppressed by their oppression being mentioned.

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

Fair cop. No, they don't and there are white cultures* that are denigrated by the majority. His statement, though, does not indicate that he is from any of those. Else he might understand a little better.

*That is to say, cultures which are majority, and/or dominated by, people of prominent pallor.

MY white culture (poor working class) is constantly denigrated by the majority white and non white cultures alike. Ever heard of "chav?" [In America "Trailer Park" comes close]

I don't see anyone standing up for what we're losing

[ 13. March 2017, 05:53: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Posted by Cod (# 2643) on :

From the article:

quote:
Dudley Wood, the former secretary of the Rugby Football Union, was quoted in The Independent in 1991 as saying that Oti “was totally mobbed on the way to the dressing room. It’s a delicate situation in a way, in that it’s a Negro spiritual. But we poor English don’t really have the songs to sing.”
The English don't have songs of their own? If the Americans will forgive me for a bit of cultural appropriation: WTF??

Yep, no songs of their own. At the start of the game the Scottish team sing a Scottish song, the Welsh sing a Welsh song, the Irish sing an Irish song ... and the English sing a British song.

quote:
This is the very problem, as soon as an injustice is mention, someone begins to whinge that they are being oppressed by their oppression being mentioned.

Where is the injustice or oppression in English rugby fans singing SLSC? If it was never heard in that context again, what else would change? The injustices of the past would still have happened. Elvis and Pat Boone would still have made millions out of black music.

quote:

I'm not going to deny this happens. A lot.

What also happens is that people accused of oppression don't like the 'gotcha' involved in defending their actions. If the only permissible response (in the eyes of the accusers) is utter obeisance, anything else is seen as 'whinging' or denial or doubling-down.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

England rugby supporters sing Swing low... because it has been sung in clubhouses for decades, usually as part of a drinking game with double-entendre gestures.

As for there not being English songs to sing, I suppose The Lincolnshire Poacher or Early one morning might not have the same ease of singing for most, plus they're largely unknown by the younger age group.

And before anyone mentions Queen's We are the champions do I need to remind you that Mr Mercury was a parsi originally from Zanzibar.

*visions of a full Twickenham belting out Matty Groves*

ahem.

It seems to me that in the case of SLSC this is actually fairly easily solved; the thing only became associated with the England Rugby team in recent decades and then with semi-official backing and popular music praising the team.

Whilst it may indeed be harder to back down than entrench in the position that says "this is ours, ya boo to you", a wiser position might be for the England rugby authorities to stop giving the thing official backing and perhaps even see how to encourage the use of other songs which don't have the same baggage.

I was reflecting over the weekend about the difference between the use of SLSC and the Haka (and actually other war dances used by various international teams before international rugby matches). One might say that in the case of New Zealand there is a level of cultural appropriation of Maori culture amongst the majority European population which plays rugby union. One might even say that the dance is offensive in that it contains a shadow of the history of tribal wars against the British colonial powers.

The difference, I was reflecting, is that - at least in some sense - NZ has embraced (inadequately, often pathetically) Maori culture as part of the national identity and the Haka is a (probably very stylised) thing which legitimately Maoris and others share as part of the developing NZ culture. Other nationalities which have war dances have less influence of Western colonialism and are (maybe?) even more legitimate expression of culture.

In contrast, the English seem generally so lacking in cultural identity that they can neither draw stylised connections to the past nor create a new shared identity (as the Scots did, arguably, with Flower of Scotland) and instead harp back to borrowed, bastardised versions of half-remembered texts from others.

The problem here is not in pointing out that the English have a drinking song with problematic origins, but that they hold irrationally to it as emblematic despite it having no significant history and because they can't be bothered to create something more relevant.

In other cultures, dances and songs are integral to cultural identity, for most of the English traditional dances are laughable and songs are painful.

Morris dancing before rugby, anyone?

Perhaps we could combine it with burning a virgin in a wicker man?

Now here's something I've been thinking about over the weekend, which Mr Cheesy has helpfully just crystalised a bit more for me - how far can we legitimately (as in it's true, not it's right) say that English culture is about picking up other things from around the world and adopting them?

Not because of assumed English superiority, but because it is the culture of the English to do so?

On the other hand of course, there is a vibrant English folk and musical tradition (I'm sure we had a thread on this years ago) which gets bracketed *even by the English* as Irish or Scottish when what they're listening to is English. Because they don't know.

It's not that there is no English culture, it's that many people in England are completely disconnected from that culture. Partly, it has to be said, because as the majority in the UK they've had to be less zealous in their cultural renaissance and need to define themselves as not English (obviously).

Another thing I was reflecting is how odd it is for English rugby fans to look to American slave song for bawdiness* - given that so much of their own folk music tradition is bawdy and rough.

*irrationally in many ways. SLSC is not a bawdy song, folk songs like Liverpool Judies clearly are. Why sing a random song to be bawdy? Are our own songs about prostitutes not bawdy enough?

quote:
Another thing I was reflecting is how odd it is for English rugby fans to look to American slave song for bawdiness* - given that so much of their own folk music tradition is bawdy and rough.

*irrationally in many ways. SLSC is not a bawdy song, folk songs like Liverpool Judies clearly are. Why sing a random song to be bawdy? Are our own songs about prostitutes not bawdy enough?

What's even more interesting, is that really crowds at rugby matches in England don't sing... Which is why efforts to replace it with another song are probably doomed to failure. When I watch England someone will strike up Swing Low, and everyone joins in - otherwise there's nothing.

When I watch Moseley we occasionally chant the name - so do Bris and Glaws fans. But it isn't football, there are no other songs. So, what has SLSC got that made it escape from the clubhouse and onto the figurative terraces?

Because nothing else has in English rugby.

quote:

When I watch Moseley we occasionally chant the name - so do Bris and Glaws fans. But it isn't football, there are no other songs. So, what has SLSC got that made it escape from the clubhouse and onto the figurative terraces?

Because nothing else has in English rugby.

I think it is about having a limited singing vocabulary, because of the link to bawdy club rugby songs and the semi-official championing of SLSC.

Also perhaps worth considering Welsh crowds (in general) who have embraced Tom Jones almost to the point of self-parody. And Deliah is a belter of a song to hear being yelled/sung by a large crowd.

But it has very problematic lyrics.

There is something very ironic, and also sad, that the Welsh national crowd songs are characterised by (without much imagination) sexual violence and the English crowd songs are characterised by bawdy versions of slave songs.

:S

quote:

What also happens is that people accused of oppression don't like the 'gotcha' involved in defending their actions.

Nobody enjoys being told they are wrong, no matter what it is. The worse it makes them look, the more so. Not sure how to fix this. Ignoring the problem doesn't work.
quote:

If the only permissible response (in the eyes of the accusers) is utter obeisance, anything else is seen as 'whinging' or denial or doubling-down.

I understand and generally attempt to be less strident.¹ᵇ I did use whinge with KC because he is one of the posters who has a history of downplaying this subject.
How long since slavery and how many equality acts have there been and yet major inequity persists. Angry yelling might not work, but neither do soft voices. Striking a a balance is difficult in the first place and impossible to do perfectly.

¹I've made statements here that seem to belie this, but out of frustration, not enmity.
ᵇDon't read the following reply. [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
quote:

Where is the injustice or oppression in English rugby fans singing SLSC?
Go back and read the thread. Strike that, just this page of it, as slowly as you need to. And then, if you still think this question necessary, I'll answer it in as simple terms as I can.
quote:

If it was never heard in that context again, what else would change?

First, see above. Beyond this, a few people might actually start being aware of what they do? Might actually begin to connect with people different to them a bit better?
quote:

The injustices of the past would still have happened. Elvis and Pat Boone would still have made millions out of black music.

It is the injustices of today that concern me more. Those are, whatchacallem, examples, meant to illustrate a concept, not... oh bugger...if you don't understand that already, I'm not certain I can break it down to a simple enough explanation.

quote:
Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit. People in a dominant position can ignore things others cannot.

Not only bullshit, but head-swimmingly bizarre.

Talk about dominance is just as silly as talk about privilege.

It is merely an attempt at what C.S. Lewis called Bulverism, ie bypassing logical arguments by attacking the individual: "You only say that because you're male/female, tall/short, black/white, French/Egyptian/Japanese, Buddhist/Hindu".

quote:
Without referencing this, how can it be remedied?
The problem with "remedying" the situation by invoking "cultural appropriation", is that the "cultural appropriation" racket is completely arbitrary, and in fact consists of randomly selected grievances about which self-styled advocates can adopt a smarmy, unctuous self-righteousness toward those who refuse to go along with them and toe the party line.

Where is the outrage over globally ubiquitous Irish pubs which "culturally appropriate" music which originated in Irish resistance to British oppression?

If it exists at all, it is miniscule.

There was recently a notoriously egregious case of a university which banned students wearing sombreros on the grounds of "cultural appropriation", but AFAIK no-one has objected to the widespread practice of students and others wearing kaffiyehs as a fashion or faux-radical statement, despite its vulnerability to condemnation as a piece of Saidian, Orientalist cultural exploitation of the exotic Other.

quote:
More bullshit.

No-one is denying past injustices - that is a straw man.

And no=one is "whinging" about being 'oppressed".

The real issues which you are evading is that it is illegitimate to derail a rational discussion by bringing up injustices from the past, and that (apropos of which) just about anyone can play that game, because just about everyone has ancestors who suffered at the hands of someone else.

Posted by Russ (# 120) on :

quote:
Cultural appropriation is an issue largely because of the wider injustices.

Morality is to do with general rules about how one human being should treat another.

Now maybe you can make a case that I would be doing wrong to any French Shipmates who may be aboard if I were to turn Frere Jacques into a lewd drinking song with obscene gestures.

Your case that this was a morally wrong act would be stronger if you didn't mix it up with a heap of special pleading that the French are Victims who deserve to be treated with special respect because of the historic injustices they have suffered.

If you imply that as far as you're concerned the French can do what they like with Rule Britannia because the Brits aren't Victims, you undermine the case that there's a moral rule here...

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:

If you imply that as far as you're concerned the French can do what they like with Rule Britannia because the Brits aren't Victims, you undermine the case that there's a moral rule here...

If I greet the guy in the next office with "morning, shortarse" when I see him in the morning, it's not immoral. We have an ongoing series of jokes about his height (he's rather taller than the average, and useful for removing things from high shelves and locating doorways in the dark.)

If I were to make the same greeting to someone who was sensitive about their lack of stature, I would be an immoral arsehole.

You can't separate the action from the actee.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Morality is to do with general rules about how one human being should treat another.

In which case there is no such thing.

quote:

Talk about dominance is just as silly as talk about privilege.

How is it silly? Ask a group of Aboriginal Australians if they think it is silly.

quote:
"You only say that because you're male/female, tall/short, black/white, French/Egyptian/Japanese, Buddhist/Hindu".

It would make this easier if you read for comprehension. Being part of the dominant culture doesn't mean one will think or speak in a certain way, it does mean that they can, willingly or through ignorance, ignore or not experience that which others must.

quote:
The problem with "remedying" the situation by invoking "cultural appropriation", is that the "cultural appropriation" racket is completely arbitrary,
It isn't completely arbitrary. It has soft lines and there will be disagreement even by those who care to see equity, but this doesn't mean it is arbitrary.
quote:

and in fact consists of randomly selected grievances about which self-styled advocates can adopt a smarmy, unctuous self-righteousness toward those who refuse to go along with them and toe the party line.

Self-interested twaddle to vacate a reasonable discussion.
quote:

Where is the outrage over globally ubiquitous Irish pubs which "culturally appropriate" music which originated in Irish resistance to British oppression?

The ridiculous argument that if one doesn't complain about al injustices equally, none are worthy of addressing.

quote:

The real issues which you are evading is that it is illegitimate to derail a rational discussion by bringing up injustices from the past, and that (apropos of which) just about anyone can play that game, because just about everyone has ancestors who suffered at the hands of someone else.

Your argument is an idiot. Past injustice was brought up as an example to help understand the issue.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Where is the injustice or oppression in English rugby fans singing SLSC?
Go back and read the thread. Strike that, just this page of it, as slowly as you need to. And then, if you still think this question necessary, I'll answer it in as simple terms as I can.
All I get from this thread is an attitude of "this is ours, and you can't have it". An attitude which, when white people display it, is rightly seen as a bad thing.

quote:
quote:

If it was never heard in that context again, what else would change?

First, see above. Beyond this, a few people might actually start being aware of what they do? Might actually begin to connect with people different to them a bit better?
You think that banning SLSC would cause English rugby fans to increase their appreciation of the cultural history of black Americans?

quote:
quote:
The injustices of the past would still have happened. Elvis and Pat Boone would still have made millions out of black music.

It is the injustices of today that concern me more. Those are, whatchacallem, examples, meant to illustrate a concept, not... oh bugger...if you don't understand that already, I'm not certain I can break it down to a simple enough explanation.
If you're more concerned with the injustices of today, then use them as your examples. Don't blame me for responding to the things you actually post rather than the things you don't.

How about "you've taken something important to me and turned it into a drinking song. Use your own dirty songs, you arses."

I can't see why this is hard for you to understand. Not a major thing, I'd agree. But putting up you palm and telling gone else to "just deal" is a poor way to respond.

quote:
Ask a group of Aboriginal Australians if they think it is silly.

What is silly is misusing terms such as dominance to stifle open discussion.

Actually, Aboriginal Australians provide a useful illustration of the issue.

First, it is never acceptable to deliberately use epithets, or even non-epithets which are disliked, about AAs.

This is not a matter of PC, but simply consideration.

Secondly, it is appropriate to acknowledge past wrongs, and shame (not guilt) regarding them.

Coincidentally I am preaching on nationalism and Christianity this Sunday, and will be making this point.

Thirdly, it is reasonable to consider appropriate forms of redress (eg special education provisions) for the effects of past injustices.

What is completely unacceptable is the attitude that non-Aboriginals can never criticise any indigenous Australian individual or organisation, an attitude expressed in the moralistic bullshit expression "Check your privilege", with its implication that "You're only saying that because you're white", or "People of your ethnicity/national identity/religion/language once mistreated people of my ethnicity etc, and therefore you can never make any negative reference to any of us under any circumstances".

This needs to be called out for the irrational and dishonest bullshit that it is.

It is as idiotic as saying that the Crusades and later Western colonial exploitation of the Middle East disqualify any Westerner from criticising ISIS.

[ 14. March 2017, 19:54: Message edited by: Kaplan Corday ]

quote:
All I get from this thread is an attitude of "this is ours, and you can't have it".

No one on this thread has said this.

quote:
You think that banning SLSC would cause English rugby fans to increase their appreciation of the cultural history of black Americans?
Who on this thread has said it should be banned? We are discussing the appropriateness of its use.

quote:
If you're more concerned with the injustices of today, then use them as your examples. Don't blame me for responding to the things you actually post rather than the things you don't.
Your posts indicate no understanding of how examples work. The past serves as a clearer example, the US in particular, because there was an open acceptance of differential treatment. It is a common discussion form to use simpler, clearer examples to illustrate a concept before one then discusses the less clear.

quote:
"You're only saying that because you're white", or "People of your ethnicity/national identity/religion/language once mistreated people of my ethnicity etc, and therefore you can never make any negative reference to any of us under any circumstances".

I specifically stated that I am not saying this. I specifically told Eliab that his colour does not prohibit him from understanding what I am saying, So you appear to be ignoring what is said in favour of stifling conversation.
quote:

This needs to be called out for the irrational and dishonest bullshit that it is.

I agree, but I suspect the direction in which our fingers are pointing are opposite.
quote:

It is as idiotic as saying that the Crusades and later Western colonial exploitation of the Middle East disqualify any Westerner from criticising ISIS.

Ware matches next to this statement.

quote:
quote:

Speaking as the person at whom it was directed, I didn't see the use of "privilege" as emotional blackmail. I thought it was entirely appropriate.

This is a situation where life experience genuinely does shape attitudes. Most things that people object to as damaging or offensive can be made real to me, even if I haven't personally experienced them, by asking "what if something like that happened to you?" - but not here. "What if someone went to a costume party dressed as 'an Englishman'?" - Why on Earth would I mind that? - "What if a group of foreigners were singing English songs in a flippant manner?" - So what? - "What if they made money from it?" - Good luck to them! - "What if people used the symbols of your religion for secular decoration?" - They do, don't care. Suggesting to me that I might (or ought to) mind any of that seems wrong, and a bit silly.

lilBuddha is entirely correct to suggest that the reason I think that is that I've never experienced racism against me. I haven't had the experience that makes ordinary people of good-will sensitive to 'cultural appropriation'. It is simply true that I feel the way I do about this because I'm a white guy in a mostly white society. "Privilege" wouldn't be my choice of word (that's a discussion for another day) but it is sufficiently commonly used was to refer to exactly this situation that using it to communicate the idea seems quite reasonable.

It doesn't follow from that truth, that the people objecting to cultural appropriation are objectively right - it could be that 'privilege' makes me blind to a moral truth, but it could equally well be that one of the pernicious effects of racism is to make people see the threat of oppression in actions which are in themselves innocent. But it seems to me that we can't even begin to have that discussion until people who start off feeling like I do acknowledge that the reason we don't see a cause for offence isn't (just) that we're admirably thick-skinned, rational and with a well-developed sense of proportion - it's also that we've never been vulnerable to that sort of injury. And, to be even handed, the discussion can also only progress if people on lilBuddha's side of the argument realise that there is genuinely nothing in our experience analogous to 'cultural appropriation' which we can see as at all offensive, and that ordinary do-as-you-would-be-done-by human decency may not be enough to bridge the gap of understanding.

We might be able to do this without using the word 'privilege', but not without using the concept that the word refers to.

quote:
quote:

Further, it seems to me that there are different sorts of 'respectfulness'. What is appropriate at a rugby match might not be appropriate at a religious service, but that doesn't make it fair to categorise behaviour in a relatively uninhibited setting as being disrespectful.

Why? Again, I'm not planting my flag on the use of SLSC, but I get the reason some people might not be col with it.
What I mean is, standards of formality differ according to context, and you therefore can't judge someone's respectfulness without reference to context. Cultural questions aside, it would be disrespectful to make the "coming" gesture to SLSC if, for example, it were being sung at a funeral. It doesn't follow that doing the same at a sporting event is equally disrespectful.

So saying that 'respectful' borrowing is permitted is fine, provided that light, irreverent and even bawdy treatment is not necessarily going to be taken as evidence that the cultural expression being borrowed is being treated with contempt. There are social situations were irreverence is not disrespect.

quote:
People will care much less about who references their culture when they are treated fairly by the borrowers.

This is undoubtedly true. But it seems unfair that "the borrowers" can mean "white people" generally, when the white people doing the borrowing aren't the same white people that did the unfairness. If I (to use an example which is very likely to happen) use costume inspired by another culture at a LARP event, and people of my nationality have behaved shittily towards that culture (I'm English - people of my nationality have been shitty to more or less everyone) is it reasonable to infer into my behaviour a racism for which no objective grounds exist?

I repeat a point I've already made, one which nobody seems to have answered properly. One can't complain about somebody misappropriating part of your culture unless you have a title to claim it's yours. None of those who have been arguing that the English Rugby Team has improperly misappropriated Swing Low Sweet Chariot have deigned to demonstrate on what basis they have a claim that it's theirs, yet alone whether they object. The nearest anyone seems to have got so far has been to claim that 'somebody else' might have grounds for complaint, yet alone whether anybody whose view might matter, actually does.

quote:

It doesn't follow from that truth, that the people objecting to cultural appropriation are objectively right - it could be that 'privilege' makes me blind to a moral truth, but it could equally well be that one of the pernicious effects of racism is to make people see the threat of oppression in actions which are in themselves innocent.

This is true and part of the reason a clear line of demarcation is difficult.

There can also be a middle ground, which is where I think SLSC sits.

quote:

And, to be even handed, the discussion can also only progress if people on lilBuddha's side of the argument realise that there is genuinely nothing in our experience analogous to 'cultural appropriation' which we can see as at all offensive, and that ordinary do-as-you-would-be-done-by human decency may not be enough to bridge the gap of understanding.

Bert from Mary Poppins? [Biased]

quote:
What I mean is, standards of formality differ according to context, and you therefore can't judge someone's respectfulness without reference to context.
I do understand this.

quote:

So saying that 'respectful' borrowing is permitted is fine, provided that light, irreverent and even bawdy treatment is not necessarily going to be taken as evidence that the cultural expression being borrowed is being treated with contempt. There are social situations were irreverence is not disrespect.

Masturbating to a song that someone else buried their gran to might feel like a bit more than irreverence. Yeah, British lads might not be aware of this, but that ignorance is part of the objection.

quote:
But it seems unfair that "the borrowers" can mean "white people" generally, when the white people doing the borrowing aren't the same white people that did the unfairness.

But they are. Not only because of the current racism and injustices, but because what Britain now is a direct connection to what Britain was. And whilst SLSC is an American thing, the conditions of its inception are not unique to them. In Britain, it is easier to feel divorced from that past.
quote:

If I (to use an example which is very likely to happen) use costume inspired by another culture at a LARP event, and people of my nationality have behaved shittily towards that culture (I'm English - people of my nationality have been shitty to more or less everyone) is it reasonable to infer into my behaviour a racism for which no objective grounds exist?

Racism isn't only active hate. It is treating other peoples with no respect for what they feel. If other people's religion, heritage and culture are no more than a costume for you, it is not quite on.
It isn't just about who you have treated poorly or who you actively disrespect.
Most of the costume for fancy dress has little respect for culture. LARP has the potential to less insensitive, but also very much more.
I've dressed in voodoo costume (Hollywood version no less) and whilst I looked more the part than you likely would, I was no less appropriating.

Earlier In mentioned a Coldplay video. Here and here are a couple of links.

quote:
I repeat a point I've already made, one which nobody seems to have answered properly. One can't complain about somebody misappropriating part of your culture unless you have a title to claim it's yours. None of those who have been arguing that the English Rugby Team has improperly misappropriated Swing Low Sweet Chariot have deigned to demonstrate on what basis they have a claim that it's theirs, yet alone whether they object.

Actually, I linked earlier to an article that featured two American black academics reactions.

quote:
Not only because of the current racism and injustices, but because what Britain now is a direct connection to what Britain was. .

Ahh thank you. Presumably on that basis - and in the interests of restoration and consistency - I can now expect the US Government to return the Great Plains, New York, Chicago and other territory to the Native Tribes? Perhaps it might be a good idea to address one's own racist issues (reaction to Obamacare anyone) before presuming to try and sort out others' (admitted) concerns.

quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
Ahh thank you. Presumably on that basis - and in the interests of restoration and consistency - I can now expect the US Government to return the Great Plains, New York, Chicago and other territory to the Native Tribes? Perhaps it might be a good idea to address one's own racist issues (reaction to Obamacare anyone) before presuming to try and sort out others' (admitted) concerns.

How about sticking to the subject? Singing a slave song in an England Rugby match has nothing whatsoever to do with historic wrongs to Native Americans.

Nobody here has tried to justify anything said about Obamacare.

FFS, what is so bad about talking carefully about something that we habitually do without thinking? What is the problem here? Why is it such a threat to you?

quote:
Actually, I linked earlier to an article that featured two American black academics reactions.

You did, and I read carefully their disappointed, mostly baffled, reactions.

But being baffled by a foreign culture's use of one's own isn't an uncommon event. It's done mainly out of ignorance of any wider significance, and importantly, no harm is meant by it, even though the originating culture may feel bemused, uncomfortable and possibly aggrieved.

I do understand. But I also understand that there are both bigger fish to fry and that trying to educate English rugby fans is going to take a very long time, when the actual problem is that racism in rugby is deep and endemic. And that sexism in rugby - the actions to the song, anyone? - is also a huge problem.

quote:
You did, and I read carefully their disappointed, mostly baffled, reactions.

But being baffled by a foreign culture's use of one's own isn't an uncommon event. It's done mainly out of ignorance of any wider significance, and importantly, no harm is meant by it, even though the originating culture may feel bemused, uncomfortable and possibly aggrieved.

I do understand. But I also understand that there are both bigger fish to fry and that trying to educate English rugby fans is going to take a very long time, when the actual problem is that racism in rugby is deep and endemic. And that sexism in rugby - the actions to the song, anyone? - is also a huge problem.

I don't think racism is particularly endemic in rugby union, but sexism very much is.

But then I just don't accept that there is nothing which can be done. SLSC only got to the position it is in with effort by the RFU. So put some effort into promoting something else.

Similarly with Tom Jones at Wales matches. Stop playing Delilah over the PA. Bring along some professional singers to lead the crowd in other songs - which don't have to be "wholesome" just not about sexual violence.

England rugby union fans are better than you seem to think. Changing the culture isn't as hard as you suggest. Lead from the front, set some lines in the sand and encourage respect across the England rugby union supporting community.

quote:
quote:
Your posts indicate no understanding of how examples work. The past serves as a clearer example, the US in particular, because there was an open acceptance of differential treatment.
The problem I have with it is that to use historical examples as you do is to ignore the many steps that have been taken since then to rectify the situation. Race relations are far from perfect now, but they are better than they were in the 1950s - and a massive amount better than they were in the 1850s - so to argue about a contemporary issue as if nothing had changed since then seems unfair to say the least.

quote:
But I also understand that there are both bigger fish to fry and that trying to educate English rugby fans is going to take a very long time, when the actual problem is that racism in rugby is deep and endemic.

Actually, I think the problem is that racism is pervasive and subtle, but in Britain as a whole, rather than just rugby. And unconscious as well. It can be hard to communicate because of those factors, which is why I use America as an example. Because of their history, and perhaps because of the difference in their general culture, racism is bolder, more clear there. Setting aside the obvious idiots of Ukip, BNP and the like, of course.

quote:

And that sexism in rugby - the actions to the song, anyone? - is also a huge problem.

Obviously, but not the subject of this thread. Yet. But if wish to discuss sexism, and frankly the barely post-pubescent behaviour in sport, I'm your huckleberry.

quote:
so to argue about a contemporary issue as if nothing had changed since then seems unfair to say the least.

Never said that things hadn't improved. I write the words, you read the words, but your replies do not indicate you understand how the words work together.

quote:
Never said that things hadn't improved.

Not in as many words perhaps, but by constantly focusing on the injustices of the past you sure do give that impression.

quote:
so to argue about a contemporary issue as if nothing had changed since then seems unfair to say the least.

Though this equally relies on a comparison to the past that you wish to exclude when it works against you (i.e. that past injustices were much worse than present injustices).

quote:
]Actually, I think the problem is that racism is pervasive and subtle, but in Britain as a whole, rather than just rugby.

Yes, certainly, that rugby - almost any sport - will reflect the society from which it draws its talent. And rugby has, if anything, a class divide.

And to answer mr cheesy: no, I don't think that rugby is exceptionally racist, just averagely so. There are fewer racist incidents at rugby grounds than at, say, football grounds. But football has made official efforts to clean up its act, and the rugby authorities are still at the point of "it doesn't really happen here".

Posted by Macrina (# 8807) on :

I'm just dipping in here to comment on the Haka in relation to this discussion.

I don't think its a suitable point of comparison to English fans singing SLSC for several reasons. The first is that the Haka is and always has been part of Kiwi culture as a whole, it has not been taken from another country or culture and misused. Secondly the Haka is viewed with significant respect both by the All Blacks who perform it and the New Zealand rugby fans who observe it.

There has been considerable and ongoing engagement by NZ Rugby with the Iwi who have traditionally claimed Ka Mate (the Haka normally performed) as their own and with experts in Maori tikanga (customs) in writing the All Blacks own Haka (Kapa o Pango). I don't think its fair or accurate therefore to place the Haka in the category of appropriation.

quote:
I haven't had the experience that makes ordinary people of good-will sensitive to 'cultural appropriation'.

It is, however, possible to have some personal appreciation of "cultural appropriation" or worse, but still make a decision to support the liberal, pluralist principle of freedom of expression even when it hurts you, or people like you.

Christians in the West face a day to day experience of their symbols, music, dress, buildings. theological concepts, etc. being constantly trashed, misused, bastardised, syncretised and misrepresented.

This is not the same as persecution, but very real persecution (sometimes involving violence, destruction of buildings, abduction, rape, murder) occurs in other parts of the world, and many Christians know fellow-believers who have escaped such situations, or have themselves lived and worked in countries where these things happen.

They can therefore understand why some of their fellow-Christians find the endemic disrespect in the West sinister, and fear it is the thin edge of the wedge which might end in actual persecution, BUT still draw the line at trying to manipulate critics of Christianity and stifle debate, with an attitude of: "You can't understand what it's like to be us, and what some of us have gone through, so you have no right to attack us in any way, and you must take very seriously our distress over anti-Christian material".

quote:

Christians in the West face a day to day experience of their symbols, music, dress, buildings. theological concepts, etc. being constantly trashed, misused, bastardised, syncretised and misrepresented.

Clap........Clap.........Clap.........Clap
Because Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, etc. don't suffer the same in the west?
quote:

This is not the same as persecution, but very real persecution (sometimes involving violence, destruction of buildings, abduction, rape, murder) occurs in other parts of the world, and many Christians know fellow-believers who have escaped such situations, or have themselves lived and worked in countries where these things happen.

Again, happens to all religious groups, why is it so much more terrible when it happens to Christians?
quote:

They can therefore understand why some of their fellow-Christians find the endemic disrespect in the West sinister, and fear it is the thin edge of the wedge which might end in actual persecution, BUT still draw the line at trying to manipulate critics of Christianity and stifle debate, with an attitude of: "You can't understand what it's like to be us, and what some of us have gone through, so you have no right to attack us in any way, and you must take very seriously our distress over anti-Christian material".

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] Oh, wait, you're serious. First, some Christians whinge like mad about how persecuted they are in their own countries. War on Christmas, anyone. Second, non-Christians have faced actual persecution in those same countries and still are still othered in these countries which are also ours. Though you wouldn't know it by some people.

[ 15. March 2017, 22:49: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

I'm sure this happens to Christians as well.

I'm sorry, lB, you're engaging in whataboutery.

If you think cultural appropriation is a thing that people shouldn't do, Christian symbols - the cross, and specifically the crucifix - shouldn't be appropriated either.

Back when it suddenly became the fashion for a season (I blame Madonna), huge, blingy crucifixes were everywhere. Pretty certain that fell under the cultural appropriation criteria, and you're now mocking Kaplan for feeling uncomfortable with it.

Of course, the cross is a symbol used by the English rugby team too.

Again, I've circled back to the same impasse, I'm not sure how to process this.

On one level there seems to me to be a bit of a difference between using a symbol which has historic meaning within a particular culture (so the cross is either meaningful because most of the population are Christians, are influenced heavily by Christianity or are seeking to reinterpret that symbol from within that culture) and taking-and-abusing someone else's symbols that they've imbibed with their own meaning.

But... well, those two concepts merge in the middle. It is entirely possible that SLSC became popularised within British culture and church as a result of choirs visiting the UK. It is possible that it then had a "respectable" second life as a gospel song, which was then ironically subverted by the hard-drinking rugby crowd and then subsequently had a third life as an official-unofficial anthem of the English rugby team.

Personally, I'd quite like it if the cross was removed from British symbolism. But I don't feel particularly strongly about it because it has such an ancient pedigree and because using it ironically is not a recent phenomena.

Maybe it is just about timing. Maybe it is just too soon after the end of slavery and the evils of the British empire for the English to be making leery drinking ditties out of gospel slave songs.

Maybe it is also because the song is oblique.

It is hard to imagine we'd have the same reaction if it turned out that we were using lyrics ironically from a song which was clearly referencing lynching. Whilst the process of assimilation might have been exactly the same, I don't think we'd be trying so hard to defend our use of it.

I think we'd just mutter about not realising and swiftly try to dig up another song which was less problematic, wouldn't we?

It did occur to me that there'd be a tsunami of righteous anger directed at say Del Monte if they used "Strange Fruit" in an advert.

I'm trying to think of similar cultural parallels, but for the very great part, the British (and specifically the English) have managed to squeak through history believing their shit smells like roses.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
It is, however, possible to have some personal appreciation of "cultural appropriation" or worse, but still make a decision to support the liberal, pluralist principle of freedom of expression even when it hurts you, or people like you.

Only when it is white people in white-majority countries who are supporting the principle of freedom of expression. For instance, non-Aboriginals must always have the right to criticise Aboriginals. However, when minority groups criticise the white people it is
"an attempt at emotional blackmail, and a bluff which must always be called", "needs to be called out for the irrational and dishonest bullshit that it is", and "completely unacceptable".

quote:
I'm sorry, lB, you're engaging in whataboutery.

If you think cultural appropriation is a thing that people shouldn't do, Christian symbols - the cross, and specifically the crucifix - shouldn't be appropriated either.

Back when it suddenly became the fashion for a season (I blame Madonna), huge, blingy crucifixes were everywhere. Pretty certain that fell under the cultural appropriation criteria, and you're now mocking Kaplan for feeling uncomfortable with it.

I think you are misunderstanding. I'm not saying it is OK to mock Christianity. I am saying that they are not uniquely mocked in the west, but that all religions suffer this. I am refuting his claim that they nobly suffer in silence and am making the point that the effect of mocking Christians in western countries is much less than other groups suffer. I'm not saying that makes it OK.

And I think whataboutery isn't the best term for what you think I'm doing.

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

Only when it is white people in white-majority countries who are supporting the principle of freedom of expression. For instance, non-Aboriginals must always have the right to criticise Aboriginals. However, when minority groups criticise the white people it is
"an attempt at emotional blackmail, and a bluff which must always be called", "needs to be called out for the irrational and dishonest bullshit that it is", and "completely unacceptable".

This is a deliberate or inadvertent misrepresentation.

On a generous presumption of the latter, here is a simple explanation for you.

White people have the right to criticise non-white people.

Non-white people have the right to criticise white people.

Nobody has the right to claim special sensitivities (religious, ethnic, whatever) which preclude any criticism of them, on the grounds that their critics cannot understand their feelings.

quote:
why is it so much more terrible when it happens to Christians?

Who said that?

quote:
some Christians whinge like mad about how persecuted they are in their own countries. War on Christmas, anyone.
If you don't know about situations such as that of Coptic Christians in Egypt, then your ignorance prevents anything you say on a topic such as this from being taken seriously.

If you do know, but choose to trivialise it ("whinge"), the you are an arsehole.

quote:
I'm sure this happens to Christians as well.

No, Christians in the West do not suffer what Jews have suffered and do suffer.

Which is why I have made a point of stating, more than once, that Christians in the West cannot claim - yet, at any rate - to be persecuted, a point which you choose to ignore.

However, various Jewish spokespersons have co-operated in drawing attention to the global persecution of Christians, because of their own experience of what persecution involves, and how it evolves.

quote:

quote:
some Christians whinge like mad about how persecuted they are in their own countries. War on Christmas, anyone.
If you don't know about situations such as that of Coptic Christians in Egypt, then your ignorance prevents anything you say on a topic such as this from being taken seriously.
If you do know, but choose to trivialise it ("whinge"), the you are an arsehole.

What happens to Coptic Christians in Egypt is bad and wrong. But it has naught to do with this thread. Your post is irrelevant unless you are using it as a tactic to ignore other injustices.

quote:
Nobody has the right to claim special sensitivities (religious, ethnic, whatever) which preclude any criticism of them, on the grounds that their critics cannot understand their feelings.
No one is saying this. Criticisms aren't the subject of the OP. But if one really wishes to critique anything, a knowledge of the subject is a good idea.

quote:
This is a deliberate or inadvertent misrepresentation.

If you're concerned about not being misrepresented yourself you might wish to not misrepresent other people. This is not about people's sensitivities or feelings. But even if it were, people would have the right to claim anything they like.

If you seriously claim free expression for yourself to criticise other people (*) it is hypocritical to try and tell other people what rights they do or do not have to respond to your criticisms. If you voice an opinion about other people they have a perfect right to respond: whether that you are belittling problems that you have not experienced; whether that you have never seen the miseries that you imagine thus easy to be borne (Johnson); that out of self-congratulation or self-absolution you have an interest in dismissing the seriousness of the other parties' concerns. They may or may not be justified - though of course once you have offered criticisms you are no longer neutral in the matter - but you cannot truthfully deny that they have a right to so respond.

(*) An activity deprecated by many moralists not least our Lord.

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

I'm happy with the way one local Baseball team The Spokane Indians has dealt with the issue; http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20100224&content_id=8130724&sid=t486&vkey=team4

The team has worked to help promote the local language to keep it from going extinct.

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I'm happy with the way one local Baseball team The Spokane Indians has dealt with the issue; http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=20100224&content_id=8130724&sid=t486&vkey=team4

The team has worked to help promote the local language to keep it from going extinct.

You allow a team to be called that without demur?

quote:
It did occur to me that there'd be a tsunami of righteous anger directed at say Del Monte if they used "Strange Fruit" in an advert ...

Doc Tor, you'll need to explain that one. If the expression "Strange Fruit" has resonances, they are lost on me. Is it a euphemism for something where you live, like 'swinging both ways'?

quote:
Doc Tor, you'll need to explain that one. If the expression "Strange Fruit" has resonances, they are lost on me. Is it a euphemism for something where you live, like 'swinging both ways'?

It's a famous song about lynching by Bilie Holiday. Link to vid on youtube.

But it doesn't really matter what the resonances are, does it? If it was written for some serious purpose, it'd be wrong to use it to sell canned fruit, right?

Posted by Russ (# 120) on :

quote:
It is entirely possible that SLSC became popularised within British culture and church as a result of choirs visiting the UK. It is possible that it then had a "respectable" second life as a gospel song, which was then ironically subverted by the hard-drinking rugby crowd and then subsequently had a third life as an official-unofficial anthem of the English rugby team.

Seems like a good summary of what actually happened.

I'm trying to get my head around the idea that meanings exist in the mind. That mind imposes meaning on matter, communicates meaning to other minds, and that meanings evolve as information is passed from mind to mind, and as different minds encounter the same information in different contexts.

So I reject the idea that SLSC has only one meaning.

You've never yet come across the concept of a meme? I think that's possibly slightly disingenuous.

quote:

I'm trying to get my head around the idea that meanings exist in the mind. That mind imposes meaning on matter, communicates meaning to other minds, and that meanings evolve as information is passed from mind to mind, and as different minds encounter the same information in different contexts.

So I reject the idea that SLSC has only one meaning.

You must realise that's shit, Russ, with a moments reflection. If all idea are just existing in the mind, capable of being reinterpreted by different people in different ways, then there would be no shared understanding of something that is racist, sexist, homophobic etc.

Nobody does that. We all accept that there are some ideas which are just racist and that are not capable of being reinterpreted. And that if we find someone using them unintentionally, knowingly, we don't just say "oh it's fine, he just called that person [racist insult] but he's just reinterpreted it to mean something else altogether.

Because.that.would.be.stupid.

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

Could a white British person argue that, say, for a black British actor to play the fictional character James Bond in a film is cultural appropriation? Or are objections to a black Bond racist?

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
Could a white British person argue that, say, for a black British actor to play the fictional character James Bond in a film is cultural appropriation? Or are objections to a black Bond racist?

In what world is it cultural appropriation to have a significant proportion of the British public represented in the actor playing a British secret agent?

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

quote:
quote:

In what world is it cultural appropriation to have a significant proportion of the British public represented in the actor playing a British secret agent?
I suppose it's a question of whether there is such a thing as white British culture. And I don't know.

(But then I wouldn't know, would I? I'm mixed race. I don't have any culture of my own at all.....) [Biased]

quote:

I think you'd have to acknowledge that it was an innovation, on a par with a female Doctor Who.

But I don't think it'd be cultural appropriation whoever played the role, just as long as the role was quintessentially British. Black (and Asian and Chinese and Middle Eastern) people can be British. And given that Bond would be about 90 by now, the idea that you can't make him black because that wouldn't be factually accurate is a bit [Paranoid] .

quote:
quote:

I think you'd have to acknowledge that it was an innovation, on a par with a female Doctor Who.

But I don't think it'd be cultural appropriation whoever played the role, just as long as the role was quintessentially British. Black (and Asian and Chinese and Middle Eastern) people can be British. And given that Bond would be about 90 by now, the idea that you can't make him black because that wouldn't be factually accurate is a bit [Paranoid] .

True - I think Bond's far enough past the books now that there's no reason why he shouldn't be black, Chinese, anything (so long as still British). I think he probably should continue to be a he though - unlike Dr Who who presumably could regenerate as a woman (no problem with that). In the spirit of Fleming's books Bond probably should be a man.

*However* Fleming was pretty clear on who Bond was, what he looked like, and everything down to preferred brands of various things so *if* MGM wanted to do a faithful adaptation of one of the books, down to being set in the 1950s with Bond as a veteran of SOE, etc, *then* Bond should IMO be a white man. But if it's just "based on the character created by Ian Fleming" then there's much more scope to do whatever the studio wants.

Basically, Bond as it is canonically I've got no problem whatsoever with Daniel Craig being replaced by anyone from Clive Owen through to Idris Elba - just so long as they can pull it off. I'm a big fan of how the Craig era films have gone back (much like the underrated Timothy Dalton) to the slightly mean unpleasant spirit of the original novels, but updated for the 21st century.

quote:
I suppose it's a question of whether there is such a thing as white British culture. And I don't know.

What is there about any part of British culture that requires one to be white? Yes, there are subcultures that have been predominantly white, but in what part of those is white necessary?
Black and brown subcultures in Britain came to be because white people barred the door to easy integration. So cultures of origination have been held onto a bit more. Britain has always been a mixed beverage, but now the beverage contains a bit of chocolate and cinnamon.
quote:

(But then I wouldn't know, would I? I'm mixed race. I don't have any culture of my own at all.....) [Biased]

You are British. Seriously, go to America. (You will blow their damn minds.) Your Britishness will be the dominant element. Though, given the British acting invasion of America, this is becoming less true.

quote:

Because everything else about is so factual?
There are characteristics that make the character Bond.* I would argue that Timothy Dalton, and even Daniel Craig, went more against at least one of those characteristics than would Bond being black. Or even gasp female.

*British, unflappable, charismatic; character.

quote:
In the spirit of Fleming's books Bond probably should be a man.

If you see misogyny as an essential part of Bond's character, perhaps. Bond was a man because that was part of the 1950's. As the movies are set in the present day, there is nothing to bar a woman from portraying the character.
quote:

*However* Fleming was pretty clear on who Bond was, what he looked like,

Those looks, other than being attractive, are not an essential part of the character. Neither, in present day, is being a white man. In reality, BTW, there have been female spies, some of whom used sex like Bond does.

Posted by Crœsos (# 238) on :

Speaking of cultural [mis]appropriation . . .

I'm sure Alhassan stole that from an Irishman.
No wait! Millions of Irish have likely now said it.
So Cheeto was being accurate in the future

spooky

[ 17. March 2017, 19:45: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Posted by Prester John (# 5502) on :

quote:
quote:

Do untalented Aussies count?

He was never Bond! You take that back

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

quote:
quote:

I believe that might be the call of the Indian tribe in question. If they like the results of the effort, it's not my place to demur.

The reference to James Bond raises a general issue as to whether acting generally is intrinsically misappropriation of all sorts of identities, as Shakespeare raises in Hamlet in reference to an actor:

Is it not monstrous that this player here,
But in a fiction, in a dream of passion,
Could force his soul so to his own conceit
That from her working all his visage wanned,
Tears in his eyes, distraction in his aspect,
A broken voice, and his whole function suiting
With forms to his conceit? And all for nothing—
For Hecuba!
What’s Hecuba to him or he to Hecuba
That he should weep for her?

The issue as to whether a black man could play Bond is the same as whether a white man can play Othello or a gentile Shylock. .Shakespeare would say, I think, that it relates to an actor's abiility to think himself/ herself into the part. A more tricky question is whether a white Othello should "black up". If a white person can play Othello then black actors can play white men or women.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I believe that might be the call of the Indian tribe in question. If they like the results of the effort, it's not my place to demur.
Arguably then it's no one's place to demur about SLSC unless you are descended from those who originally wrote the song or those for whom the song originally meant something.

A tangent but we never get to hear much about reparations for the native Americans. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee bought that history to life for me but that was written over 40 years ago and still little seems to have changed.

quote:

The issue as to whether a black man could play Bond is the same as whether a white man can play Othello or a gentile Shylock.

Not quite the same. White actors haven't been prevented from playing white parts.
quote:

.Shakespeare would say, I think, that it relates to an actor's abiility to think himself/ herself into the part. A more tricky question is whether a white Othello should "black up".

Ye Gods, no! *

quote:

If a white person can play Othello then black actors can play white men or women.

Or, to reference the Bard, women play men.

*Though, to be honest, his performance was such an offence to acting that the blacking up was almost secondary.

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

Latest female inroads into Shakespeare and All Female is a thing.

Jengie

The point about Othello is that his identity as a Moor is critical to the plot. It would become an issue whether a black actor would need to white-up if he or she were playing a part where their being white was likewise critical to the plot, such as if there were a stage version of Guess who's coming to dinner and a black actor were to be playing one of the characters who are specifically white in the plot.

Tangent alert

I usually dislike transposing drama into inconsistent settings. I normally find attempts to set Shakespeare in different times or dress not excitingly creative but just plain irritating. Likewise female Hamlets. Let the plot tell the story, and don't get in the way.

However, there was a version of Julius Caesar set in a modern African state broadcast here on television a few years ago which I thought both worked and was excellent. The actors were all black, and I think mainly British. The acting was extremely good. It wouldn't have worked if it hadn't been. I also thought they caught the accents and nuances of modern African elites pretty well.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Latest female inroads into Shakespeare and All Female is a thing.

Jengie

It won't be balanced until it ceases being considered newsworthy.

quote:

I usually dislike transposing drama into inconsistent settings. I normally find attempts to set Shakespeare in different times or dress not excitingly creative but just plain irritating. Likewise female Hamlets. Let the plot tell the story, and don't get in the way.

Because Elizabethan theatre never mixed up actors and genders. Oh wait. Because the European tradition was not of constant reinterpretation of classic texts. Oh wait.

Come back when you know even the basics of what you are talking about.

quote:
Because Elizabethan theatre never mixed up actors and genders. Oh wait. Because the European tradition was not of constant reinterpretation of classic texts. Oh wait.

Come back when you know even the basics of what you are talking about.

Wow, Mr Cheesy. I seem to have caught a raw nerve there.

Of course I know that there were no women on the Elizabethan stage, that actresses only came in with the Restoration. I also know that Shakespeare had a penchant for including people disguising themselves as members of the opposite sex.

Whether he, or the Elizabethan audience, got a kinky thrill from this, neither you, nor I, nor anyone else really knows, I think they probably did, but I can no more answer that than you can.

Likewise, though we know quite a lot now about Shakespeare's life as an impresario, we still know next to nothing about the 'inner bard'. I suspect that research may have got as far as it can ever get on that one. The rest is conjecture and projection.

What I was actually saying, is that I have a very strong personal preference both for directors and performers who do not stick themselves in between me and the work. As far as I'm concerned, if a performance doesn't temporarily suspend my awareness that these aren't real events going on in front of me, if it doesn't make a significant part of me forget that this is produced by X, or that the hero and heroine are famous actors Y or Z or that this is or isn't a challenging and exciting reinterpretation, a symbolic set or whatever, then IMHO it's a poorer production than one that does succeed in that. It may not be your view, but it is mine. You are entitled to your view, but likewise I am entitled to mine. But mine is a legitimate position, both intellectually and artistically.

I wouldn't personally be very interested in the Mouse Trap done as Noh. It would be like gefillte fish, an enormous amount of effort put into wrecking perfectly good ingredients which were better without the effort. But each to his or her own.

quote:
people would have the right to claim anything they like.

Another person can claim hurt sensitivities and feelings over something I say that they think I don't understand because I haven't had their (or their identity group's) experience, and I can do exactly the same thing in response to something that someone says to me.

What neither of us has the right to do, is use this to attempt to close down the discussion, and avoid other, and possibly far more germane, considerations.

quote:
An activity deprecated by many moralists not least our Lord.
Spiritual blackmail, anyone?

Actually, our Lord himself was extremely and publicly critical of others - in particular, self-righteous, moralistic Pharisees.

quote:
quote:
people would have the right to claim anything they like.

Another person can claim hurt sensitivities and feelings over something I say that they think I don't understand because I haven't had their (or their identity group's) experience, and I can do exactly the same thing in response to something that someone says to me.

What neither of us has the right to do, is use this to attempt to close down the discussion, and avoid other, and possibly far more germane, considerations.

All the terms I highlighted in my first post - "a bluff which must always be called", "needs to be called out for the irrational and dishonest bullshit that it is", and "completely unacceptable" - are attempts to close down the discussion. That's my point.
Especially if you insist on mischaracterising the arguments you object to as being about sensitivities and feelings.

quote:
quote:
An activity deprecated by many moralists not least our Lord.
Spiritual blackmail, anyone?

Actually, our Lord himself was extremely and publicly critical of others - in particular, self-righteous, moralistic Pharisees.

Is the phrase 'spiritual blackmail' itself not an attempt to shut down discussion?
We could have argued about when criticism of other people is or is not self-righteous and moralistic. You decided to close the discussion down.

quote:
The point about Othello is that his identity as a Moor is critical to the plot.

And yet a Moor is not automatically black. There is a debate about that. The only thing that is relatively certain is that he wouldn't have been white.
quote:
It would become an issue whether a black actor would need to white-up if he or she were playing a part where their being white was likewise critical to the plot,

Funny thing: almost all roles black people have played were written for black people. Whether or not the character or story required it. And most characters white people have played are generic, able to be played by anyone. However, black people have almost never been considered for these.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

When I was in middle school, the lead in our spring musical was an especially talented African American girl. The musical was "The Flower Drum Song" set in San Francisco Chinatown. She did not wear any make-up to change the look of her ethnicity and that was just fine with everyone. We just immersed ourselves in the story.

Another interesting production I saw more recently was of "The Magic Flute" styled on silent era movies. Everyone wore white-face. Really, really white face to give the illusion of black and white film. This included the romantic leads who were African American, and the traditionally Moorish villain who was reincarnated as Nosferatu. I didn't even realize there was a particular difference in the cast's ethnicities until I saw the pictures of the artists in the program notes.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Funny thing: almost all roles black people have played were written for black people. Whether or not the character or story required it. And most characters white people have played are generic, able to be played by anyone. However, black people have almost never been considered for these.

The American Shakespeare Company did a production of Twelfth Night where Viola and Sebastian, who are twins and supposedly hard to tell apart, were played by a white woman and a black man.

Moo

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

Ah, but did the black guy play Viola?

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

Enoch wrote:

quote:
Tangent alert

However, there was a version of Julius Caesar set in a modern African state broadcast here on television a few years ago which I thought both worked and was excellent. The actors were all black, and I think mainly British. The acting was extremely good. It wouldn't have worked if it hadn't been. I also thought they caught the accents and nuances of modern African elites pretty well.

The thing is, education and media being what they were in the Elizabethan era, it's quite unlikely that Shakespeare had much accurate knowledge of any of the non-English locales he wrote about, and was in most cases just creating settings that were basically just the England of his day. (eg. in A Midsummer Night's Dream, set in pre-Christian Athens, people use the name "Mary" as an oath.)

Not that this makes any particular contemporary transposition good or bad, just that, in a lot of cases, the inconsistent setting was there right from the start.

[ 19. March 2017, 15:29: Message edited by: Stetson ]

quote:
All the terms I highlighted in my first post - "a bluff which must always be called", "needs to be called out for the irrational and dishonest bullshit that it is", and "completely unacceptable" - are attempts to close down the discussion.

No, they are clearing away dead wood so that meaningful discussion can proceed.

quote:
Is the phrase 'spiritual blackmail' itself not an attempt to shut down discussion?
It is the fact of practising it, not the phrase naming it, which represents an attempt to "shut down discussion".

quote:

We could have argued about when criticism of other people is or is not self-righteous and moralistic. You decided to close the discussion down.

You had, and still have, every opportunity to explore why you think Jesus both condemned criticism and engaged in it himself.

© Ship of Fools 2016