Thread: When Seminarians are Mistaken for a Stag Party, You Know You Have a Vocations Crisis Board: Purgatory / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020262

Posted by stonespring (# 15530) on :

A group of (RC, I assume) came into a Welsh pub to celebrate the ordination of one of them and were asked to leave because the pub had a policy of not allowing groups from stag or hen parties, many of whom show up in costume.

The publicans realized their mistake and it all ended well but when the sight of multiple non-geriatric men dressed in clerical garb leads one to think they must be in costume and likely up to some mischief, I think 1.) the rapidly aging and dwindling population of RC priests, along with clergy of a number of other denominations, really hits home and 2.) the decline of the public role of clergy also hits home.

Maybe the publicans thought Catholic priests or seminarians are so scrupulous that they would not visit pubs at all or choose to have their celebrations in one, but, honestly, the PR of the RCC must be pretty bad for it not to be common knowledge that priests and seminarians often do drink and often do so in public establishments where alcohol is served, although it may still raise eyebrows to see them in a nightclub (not that I haven't!) - but this seems to definitely not be a nightclub from the description.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

I think it is a stag do crisis. But a case of too much rather than too little.

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

Perhaps also one doesn't tend to think of priests as coming in groups? It seems to be a rather solitary vocation.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

They should've gone to St. Canna's. and partaken of Baptist beer, rather than drinking this Methodist stuff.

Posted by simontoad (# 18096) on :

I thought the Bish did good when he threatened to boycott the pub [Smile]

Also, who wears cassocks these days? They're so Father Brown. The Jessies I studied with all dressed in civvies.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Perhaps also one doesn't tend to think of priests as coming in groups? It seems to be a rather solitary vocation.

That would be an orgy. A synchronized one admittedly.

[ 10. August 2017, 07:39: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

Posted by Galilit (# 16470) on :

[Killing me]

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Not synchronisation from a group of Catholic priests, surely - more likely All Saints Margaret St.

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Not synchronisation from a group of Catholic priests,

Why not? They do so like the rhythm method...

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
When the sight of multiple non-geriatric men dressed in clerical garb leads one to think they must be in costume and likely up to some mischief, I think 1.) the rapidly aging and dwindling population of RC priests, along with clergy of a number of other denominations, really hits home and 2.) the decline of the public role of clergy also hits home.

When I first read this story I did think it must have been a very odd sight. I don't think I've ever seen a 'group' (seven of them, in this case!!) of clergymen together in vestments, unless on church business. Certainly not just chilling out in a secular space.

And yes, I did wonder why these men weren't a lot older. Or else from some faraway continent. I hope that the parishes they go to appreciate their rare, comparatively youthful presence!

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

I think that someone else will probably have told Svetlana but 'vestments' are the garments which certain clergy wear when celebrating liturgical rites, not what they might wear when visiting a pub, unless they are celebrating a liturgical rite there.
Put into possibly , but possibly not plainer language items of wear like a chasuble, a stole, an alb or a cope are vestments which priests of the Latin church will wear when celebrating Mass or some other church Office.
In general the garments these clerics were wearing for the visit to the pub might be described as 'clericals' or more technical a 'soutane' or a 'cassock' if it refers to a long black coat.

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

Sorry Svitlana for the wrong spelling of your name.

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:

In general the garments these clerics were wearing for the visit to the pub might be described as 'clericals'

They were wearing admin staff? Of course they were mistaken for a stag do.

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

Forthview

I understand that the term can have the limited use you describe, but I did google it, and was under the impression that it can also refer to any distinctive garments that the clergy wear as part of their job. If not, then you can consider 'clerical clothing' as a more accurate replacement.

In my defence, the church I know best, the British Methodist Church, doesn't talk much about 'vestments', probably because there's little variety in what an ordinary Methodist clergyman will wear for religious occasions. Differences in clothing seem to have more to do with personal preferences and choices than with any special rules about baptism, communion or anything else.

Posted by SpikeyNZ (# 13886) on :

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

Also, who wears cassocks these days? They're so Father Brown. The Jessies I studied with all dressed in civvies.

Posted by SpikeyNZ (# 13886) on :

quote:

Mores the pity that most don't, however cassocks haven't yet died out and there's even a bit of a come back in some RC and Anglican quarters!

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by SpikeyNZ:
quote:

In my experience in recent years, cassocks can be found in two places; Anglican seminaries, and a few consciously traditional clerical communities among the RCs.

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

AIUI Catholic Clergy are expected to wear their collars at all times. I once turned up at an ecumenical service after a family meal clutching cassock, cassock rabat, cotta and stole and was promptly berated by a Catholic Bishop for not wearing my collar. He was dragged off by the Catholic Priest who explained, patiently, that he had no jurisdiction over the Church of England. He was later dismissed after having a long standing affair. I was rather amused that when the papers showed a picture of him with his mistress someone complained that he was not wearing his collar!

Shortly after my ordination to the Diaconate I joined friends and family for a drink in a local hostelry. There was a hen party present who burst into spontaneous applause, thinking that I was the strip-o-gram. Much to their disappointment I joined my family for a drink instead. They would have been even more disapppointed, I imagine, if I had been the strip-o-gram!

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

They must have some bloody tame stag do's in Cardiff. For a stag, I'd have at least expected the cassocks to be open from ankle to waist, revealing stockings and suspenders*. (I'm assuming that wasn't actually the case.)

*(UK suspenders, not USA suspenders. That would just look silly.)

© Ship of Fools 2016