Thread: It's Monday October the 18th 2117 Board: Purgatory / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020330

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

Here is the news.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

The US has had 12 women presidents in a row. All, whatever their party, put a special emphasis on treating everyone equally; expanding and strengthening the safety net; reachable economic equality and prosperity for all; repair, renovation, and replacement of all infrastructure; all the money public schools need; and ice cream in every pot.

Also, there've been no wars. Soft diplomacy ruled.

And no woman president harassed, abused, or assaulted anyone.

[ 18. October 2017, 08:44: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

Because Wyndham's Consider Her Ways was prophetic.

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

I know it's only a fantasy, but I'd advise against putting female presidents and prime ministers on a pedestal! They're not automatically more caring than male ones.

Population growth will be a big challenge at ten billion people. My fantasy is that living standards will become much more equal around the world, but since this will require a reduction of standards in the richest countries I find it hard to see it happening.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
I know it's only a fantasy, but I'd advise against putting female presidents and prime ministers on a pedestal! They're not automatically more caring than male ones.

Do I sense the ghost of Margaret Thatcher hovering here? [Devil]

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

There is no news, because, in 2019, history, thanks to certain Mad Dogs and Bad Haircuts, came to a .

(With acknowledgements to Messrs. Sellar and Yeatman)

IJ

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

It's been proven by historians (looking at European history, Enlightenment onwards) that female rulers (especially married ones that give their husbands a significant role) are more likely to be involved in wars than their male counterparts.

Some of it is down to men declaring war on the women, not expecting significant resistance, but the majority is down to expansionist policies promoted by the queen herself.

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

Here is the news.
It's Year 93 of the Millennium...

Today we celebrate the centenary of the rapture and commemorate and remember the start of the great tribulation.

Later in the programme, the revelation of the first plans for the celebration in 7 year's time, of the first one hundred years of the re-establishment of the Messiah's throne here in Jerusalem on what used to be called 'the Dome of the Rock', now rightfully called the Temple Mount.

Well, that's a much more encouraging scenario than my contribution....

....I think...

[Paranoid]

IJ

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

We look back to predictions of 30 years ago, when everyone was convinced we'd have flying cars by now. Yet the Starbucks corporation (including its subsidiary, Royal Dutch Shell) has still to make a decent cup of coffee.

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
Here is the news.

Today we celebrate the centenary of the rapture and commemorate and remember the start of the great tribulation.

Later in the programme, the revelation of the first plans for the celebration in 7 year's time, of the first one hundred years of the re-establishment of the Messiah's throne here in Jerusalem on what used to be called 'the Dome of the Rock', now rightfully called the Temple Mount.

So, the Great Tribulation just started? Again?

Meanwhile, in the real world ...

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

quote:
If I remember right, a certain Iron Lady went to war over the Falklands.

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
quote:
Here is the news.

So, the Great Tribulation just started? Again?

Meanwhile, in the real world ...

Er no. The GT started the day of the rapture, 100 years ago. The Millennium started 7 years later, 93 years ago.

Righhhhht. 2017 GT starts at the earliest, may be 2021 as it's cut short, 3 & a half years some said. Jesus lands on the Mount of Olives in 2024 whatever, splits it in half, massacres an army of two hundred million and starves everyone in to keeping Sukkoth ...

Meanwhile in the real world ...

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

The good news is that in the land formerly known as "Korea" the first signs of life have been discovered again. Officials say that there is still no chance of humans being allowed close for many thousands of years.

In the meantime, the preparations for the annual Day of Shame where the US stops for a day, remembering their past and the disgrace of Trumpism. There are continued calls for the UK to embrace this as well.

Meanwhile, in the UK, Norman Codsall MP has been suspended from the House for suggesting that the Governments policies could be "Another Brexit". The Prime Minister took grave offense at this, and made a formal complaint to the Speaker.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
quote:

Zombie, more like.

Never mind the bollocks. Just conservatively extrapolate the trends. Global warming. Population. Economic growth. Moore's law. First world aging. Epidemics. Cultural change. One third of Europe will be Muslim for example. There will be no Christianity to speak of at all. Anywhere. The exception will be Africa, extrapolate liberally. Apart from the Christianity.

Posted by simontoad (# 18096) on :

and I will still be trying to remember the song that starts "here is the news", and its not the ELO song OK? That's bloody awful. It's a protest song of some sort I think. It's not Neil Young's Ohio or Campaigner. It is really bugging me. I reckon its something about Nixon though... hang on...

Oh no, it's the wrong quote. I was thinking of the Howling Wolf track covered by (inter alia) The Electric Flag - Down on the Killing Floor

Oh God, now I'm thinking that there's a Here is the News one too. I thought I was out of the vortex...

Prediction, prognostication... 100 years from now... Aliens land in South Africa and are confined to a detention facility... no that's a movie.

I actually think mudflap's idea is not bad - a global theocracy maintained by shock and awe. Not bad as in it may well happen, not that I reckon its a good idea.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
quote:

Or Golda Meir.

quote:
quote:

Well, yes. Although I'm not one of those who hated her with a passion, she obviously wasn't an embodiment of the caring, sharing leader.

Hilary Clinton would have made a much more competent, presentable POTUS than Donald Trump, clearly; but neither of them is known for their compassionate, caring side. Indeed, Hilary has been called 'hawkish', hasn't she?

Posted by romanlion (# 10325) on :

This thread lives in Purgatory on SOF

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Speaking Mandarin, we acknowledge 50 years of the People's Republic of China being the world's only superpower.

The last elephant dies.

Anti depressants reign supreme as people in former first world countries remain idle on a living wage due to mass automation.

Elon Musk, or perhaps the cyborg he inhabits, is still planning a colony on Mars. Robots got there first and are building habitation for humans.

I may be a pessimist. I hope for better.

SvitlanaV2--

quote:
Hilary Clinton would have made a much more competent, presentable POTUS than Donald Trump, clearly; but neither of them is known for their compassionate, caring side. Indeed, Hilary has been called 'hawkish', hasn't she?

Hillary certainly has some rough, abrasive qualities. But she reportedly is caring and friendly off-stage. E.g., a 9/11 survivor spoke at the Democratic convention. Hillary, as senator for New York, visited her in the hospital and emotionally supported her. She'd lost a limb. Years (?) later, they bumped into each other. Hillary remembered her, and asked what kind of prosthetic she'd finally gotten. And a Republican senator has been quoted as saying she was "an honest broker", when making deals.

Hillary did an amazing talk show interview with Jimmy Fallon during the campaign,in Sept. of 2016. She was calm, happy, and funny.

Hillary also came from a very rough background. Parents constantly fighting, she couldn't bring anyone home, etc. So she had to protect herself, and developed a shell. As she said of her father at the convention, "he was a chief petty officer at work--and at home". Her mom was from her own hellish background--unfit parents, possibly very young. They did things like giving their young daughter vouchers for the corner deli, then going out of town. PBS did some good background coverage. E.g., there was a show called "The Contenders: 2016". (IIRC, might have been an episode of "Frontline".) The backgrounds of both Hillary and T were explored.

Anyway, there's a lot more to her.

Posted by Kaplan Corday (# 16119) on :

quote:
Or Indira Gandhi's?

Or eventually, Aung San Suu Kyi's?

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

1.5 billion people have died from drought, flooding and disease so far. Of the 19 billion people left on the planet, 400 million are at risk and 150-200 million will die each year. The debate in the Republic of Cascadia (the former Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska) is whether to just let nature take it's course. The goal is a human population of about 50% of what the world holds. Walls are being discussed. Letting people die slowly is debated versus euthanizing them. A virus has been engineered to destroy the ovaries after a single pregnancy so only one child is born from each woman. Chemical sterilization of men is being done with "smart darts" which are the size of house flies, injecting sterilant in targetted populations.

The Union of Northern Europe (stretches from Norway through northern Russia, and the Baltic) is moving east and has designs on Alaska, Cascadia is selling electric power from the great solar desert in the middle of North America to them to placate the imperial aspirations. Eastern North America is composed of petty fiefdoms run by various gangs. The Republic of Eastern North America is a failed state. So is England. Slaving gangs kidnap people from both to be worked to death on the solar farms. The are similar to the Somalia and Iraq of 100 years ago.

There was an attempt to colonise Mars. Possibly the 250 people there live but they are on their own.

First contact occurred with a probe from an alien civilization. We shot it down because we thought it looked threatening. No further probes or information is forthcoming. There is a cult which claimed it was the second coming of Jesus, and they periodically set suicide bombers on the solar farms which they think make Jesus angry.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

I see somebody played a lot of Risk.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:

quote:
Posted 18 October, 2017 12:21
Obviously fake news.

Good News! We have finally spread to the last inhabited islands, having found ways of crossing the water.

As global population is now estimated to be nearing 300M, this is vital. The attempts to colonise under the polar ice caps are also succeeding. Our domination of the world will continue.

This is the end of cockroach news.

Posted by Hiro's Leap (# 12470) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
1.5 billion people have died from drought, flooding and disease so far. Of the 19 billion people left on the planet, 400 million are at risk and 150-200 million will die each year.

If we reach that point, global war is probably going to be a massive killer, with environmental pressures acting a threat multiplier.

On the other hand, 2117 might be incredible. I have absolutely no sense of whether the future is going to be Mad Max, Star Trek or The Culture.
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
This is the end of cockroach news.

[Big Grin]

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

October 18th 2117

Brexit is about to happen, subject to all bills being signed off, well - maybe in December.

Latest TEUE (not FALSE)news regarding Brexit is that the Government of the United States of Europe (under the benign rule of His Serene Highness Vladimir Putin V) has decided to sever all relations with the Kingdom of England (currently ruled by His Littleness Nigel the Farage III).

Full diplomatic relations, trade agreements, and full membership of the USE will continue to be enjoyed by the Republic of Ireland, the Republic of Wales, the Kingdom of Cornwall, the Isle of Man, the Kingdom of Sealand, and the Republic of Scotland.

IJ

[Hot and Hormonal] TRUE news....

IJ

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

The world's last Sumatran tiger dies in captivity at the Virgin Animal Sanctuary (formerly known as London Zoo).

Posted by Kwesi (# 10274) on :

The Synoptic Problem has been resolved.

As has the Filioque Controversy!

The remaining six members of the Roman Catholic Church, and four of the five surviving members of the various Orthodox Churches, reached this historic decision at the Council of The Telephone Kiosk today!

The fifth surviving Orthodox person commented:

'Is Outrage'!

IJ

In a momentous move, HM Queen Kylie unveiled a new statue to Grant Bailey, finally acknowledging the importance of his act in shooting dead President Trump and Vice President Pence, as well as most of the Tory front bench, during the ill-fated Working Visit.

This statue marks the acceptance that, while unpleasant, this was a necessary action to save the western world from total disaster.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

This is the news for Monday October the 18th 2117

In the UK talks over a Brexit deal are on going.
The NHS is reported to be at breaking point.
And we are still waiting for the Mediterranean conditions which climate change experts promised for Britain 130 years ago.

@mousethief, snap on Meir. Her vengeance for Munich was chilling. Risk! Loved it. I'm slogging my way through Grey Goo solo at moment.

@romanlion, yo losin' yo mojo?! That was actually OK.

@Hiro's Leap. None of them. None of the 'science' fantasy can EVER happen, whence

@Ian Climacus, we'll NEVER colonize Mars. The Chinese will walk on it closer to then than now.

But there's a reasonable (0.1%?) chance that we'll detect significant extrasolar planetary water vapour and a thousand times less reasonable chance that we'll detect biogenic oxygen.

That will have no impact whatsoever on remaining, dominant monotheism. I.e. Islam.

Population will be around 10 billion. Which it is now to 1 s.f. Most of the growth will be in non-Muslim Africa. They will press north.

If developed world health and care service needs are to be barely met it is from the developing world as never before, unless we all become each others aging nurses, chiropodists, social workers, counsellors and carers, all on social credit, as there will be nothing else to do. All production will be roboticized, AI will manage everything that needs managing. Taxation will be level everywhere for everything for individuals and levied on every financial transaction and every robot and AI. <1% of the population and falling will be the young technocracy. Another <1% will be watchers. Security. There will be no drivers. No fossil fuel land transport. I doubt mass aviation can survive.

The only other professions will be policing and teaching.

Trends, you know?

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

I love the way you're all assuming there's still a surviving human race. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Suppose we have to try and think positive.
Whether the Biosphere would consider having humans around for another 100 yrs as 'positive' ?

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I love the way you're all assuming there's still a surviving human race. [Roll Eyes]

Ahem ...

(Cockroach news)

Another hundred years is another 0.05% of our species lifetime. And wherever you are, you're usually closer to half way.

Various responses:

--If I'm going to imagine a future, I'm durn well gonna imagine a GOOD one! The present is bad enough, as it is.

--My imagined future catches the US up on a lot of things: women in highest power (after more than 200 yrs. of men only!); social justice; and ice cream. If you don't like that, kindly move on to your own imagined future. You can even take some ice cream with you.

--I liked Golda Meir quite a bit, when I was a kid. [Smile]

Hey GK, I like it, but this is iron to iron territory. I want to know what I'm missing in assuming history is dead, that we're in to the Seldon Plan and there's no Mule slouching toward Jerusalem to be born.

I can imagine 1917 from 1817. But 2017 from 1917? Were the trends there? And what trend am I missing?

I completely endorsed Meir's inimical vengeance. I exalted in it. That is not The Way.

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

quote:

Hillary certainly has some rough, abrasive qualities. But she reportedly is caring and friendly off-stage.
I wasn't referring to her manner but to her alleged willingness to support American military entanglements in various international conflicts.

Maybe this is clear-headed realpolitik. A necessary evil. But it's not 'no wars' and 'soft diplomacy'. And it surely reduces the amount of money in the pot to reduce inequality at home through social justice initiatives.

quote:
One third of Europe will be Muslim for example. There will be no Christianity to speak of at all. Anywhere. The exception will be Africa, extrapolate liberally.

I haven't found a reference for your 'one third' figure about Europe, but one academic text proposes that a fifth of Europeans will be Muslims by 2100 (See Emma Terama, 'Shall the Religious Inherit the Earth?'p. 141).

There are other projections that by 2050 Muslims will make up one third of the world's population, not Europe's.

Perhaps there'll be more practising Muslims than practising Christians in many European cities. That's already the case in some places, but I haven't seen any attempt to make a Europe-wide comparison.

With regard to your claim that Christianity will disappear outside Africa, I can't find any proof of that either. By 2100 Islam will have slightly overtaken Christianity, but that's not to say there'll be no more Christianity!

It's clear that Europe, the USA, Canada and Oceania are becoming less religious, but they're also falling behind demographically. Only 11% of the world's population will be living in these regions by 2100. I do wonder whether secular people of European descent will be able to continue dominating worldwide cultural trends when their numbers are so low - and when their own societies are already so pluralistic.

Britain, I predict, will have a vast non-believing majority, and also knots of small religious communities. There'll be more practising Muslims than Christians in a couple of decades. One projection that Christianity will disappear from Britain by 2067 seems unlikely, but I think the figures for both Christianity and Islam will rely heavily on immigration rates, and on where the immigrants live.

Svitlana--

Uh, but you also talked about H's lack of caring and compassion. That's what I was addressing.

Martin--

quote:
Hey GK, I like it, but this is iron to iron territory. I want to know what I'm missing in assuming history is dead, that we're in to the Seldon Plan and there's no Mule slouching toward Jerusalem to be born.[

Ah, but you didn't tell us that, did you? Just the date, and "here is the news". [Biased]

As to what you're missing: IMVHO, hope, possibilities, hope, flexible thinking, hope, humor and wit, and hope hope hope...

{Monty Python cafeteria lady: "Well, that's got eggs, bacon, hope, spam, and hope. That hasn't got MUCH hope in it..."}

As Doc said in "Back To The Future III": "The future isn't written yet".

quote:
I can imagine 1917 from 1817. But 2017 from 1917? Were the trends there? And what trend am I missing?

Fiction and poetry tends to see ahead first. Jules Verne. Andrew Greeley's "Angel Fire" is partly about spotting trends. Quite possibly Terry Pratchett, in his Disc World series--at least in terms of seeing/understanding what's going on *now*, and seeing a bit ahead. And "The Coming Of God", by Sr. Maria Boulding. It's very well and comfortingly written, and isn't from the unbalanced parts of the End Times spectrum. I read it because I flipped to the end in the store, and the last line was "We are unconditionally, irrevocably loved". Figured any book on ultimate futures that ended that way was well worth a read. And it was.

And, for some hope and possibilities, you might try "Yes!" magazine. Subtitle: "Powerful ideas. Practical actions."

My two cents.
[Angel]

@GK. I admire your disposition. And all the responses above are appropriate to the OP, I'm just looking at the long arc.

@SvilanaV2. Excellent. Yeah, I was coming it a tad with 33% Muslim Europe. Only 20%. Two or three times the French level, four times the UK, three times the German, five the Netherlands etc.

Most immigrants will be African non-Muslim, more culturally Christian than the indigenes. Muslims are two orders of magnitude more devout than Christians so are already the dominant religion throughout western Europe.

And aye, globalization IN to western culture will accelerate. The rest of the world will just become more materialistic where it can. As it has massively in China and India. For dystopian sci-fi futures: Blade Runner without the tech, Soylent Green without the cannibalism, Stand on Zanzibar, Oath of Fealty.

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Svitlana--

Uh, but you also talked about H's lack of caring and compassion. That's what I was addressing.

You were referring more particularly to her caring and compassionate manner to individuals. I'm not denying she's like that in private, but the outcomes you mentioned in your first post would surely need those qualities to be given political expression.

In the British case, I don't remember what people used to say about Mrs Thatcher's caring and compassionate qualities in her private interactions; it was her policies and rhetoric that mattered. It's the same for Mrs May now. Both of them were/are well-brought up Christian ladies, however, and I'm sure they knew how to be kind.

[ 20. October 2017, 10:18: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

Back to the format of the OP.

Here is the news.

According to the internatinal statistics office, world population has recovered to the 1 billion mark. Concerns over how this many people can be fed from the limited non-irradiated agricultural land in southern Africa have been raised.

The United States has announced that it is closing a number of observation posts in the former Korean Peninsula. It has cited the cost of providing anti-radiation medications and protective equipment. The posts were originally built in the aftermath of the US-North Korean War in response to fears of Chinese and Russian moves into the territory. However, the area has remained unfit for human habitation for far longer than was anticipated and the posts have come under increasing criticism as unnecessary.

European news - scientists based in the Republic of the Black Forest have announced that they believe that they may have found a way to decontaminate the nuclear wastelands of the European Union. Experiments with mice have shown that following the process, rates of serious disability causing mutation are down to 25% from the 50% rate in untreated areas. A spokesman from the Republic said "this is an exciting development; we see rates of 15-20% in relatively un-irradiated areas of Europe, such as the Republic, and the Alpine Alliance, so these rates are, whilst still high, a significant step on the way to rendering the old cities and towns fit once again for human habitation".

The UK parliament in Holyhead has announced that resettlement of southern Lincolnshire might be possible within the next 50 years. It dismissed as "wishful thinking" claims that more could be done to restore the rest of the East Midlands. A statement from the Department for Nuclear Reclamation stated "records from the 2020s show that Nottingham, Derby, Sheffield and Manchester all took multiple strikes, with almost 100% casualties. There is no prospect of the areas surrounding these former cities supporting resettlement in the foreseeable future".

Education: the Department for Education has approved a new history syllabus which explains the background for nuclear proliferation in the 1950s onwards and the MAD doctrine. There were concerns that pro-nuclear weapon thinking of the late 20th and early 21st century was an unsuitable subject for younger children, but the announcement said "understanding the thinking of the past, however strange and ridiculous it may seem today, is a vital part of learning from the past and avoiding its mistakes. And we should not forget the significance of this year being the one in which the UK population once again reached five million, over half a million of which are physically unmutated enough to be capable of gainful employment."

Leicester's all right then.

(OK as satire Karl, it does my literal minded OCD head in otherwise!)

Posted by keibat (# 5287) on :

Bishops Finger, I (somewhat belatedly) protest:
quote:
Latest TEUE (not FALSE)news regarding Brexit is that the Government of the United States of Europe (under the benign rule of His Serene Highness Vladimir Putin V) has decided to sever all relations with the Kingdom of England (currently ruled by His Littleness Nigel the Farage III).

Full diplomatic relations, trade agreements, and full membership of the USE will continue to be enjoyed by the Republic of Ireland, the Republic of Wales, the Kingdom of Cornwall, the Isle of Man, the Kingdom of Sealand, and the Republic of Scotland.

You have exercised the usual arrogance of those south of Trent and north of Tees (all the way to the respective poles of the planet) and overlooked the People's Republic of Yorkshire.

O, pardon me, but the People's Republic of Yorkshire was annexed by the Republic of Scotland when the latter's armed forces moved southwards in 2045.

The Scots met with little resistance, and, in fact, were warmly welcomed by the people of Yorkshire, the alternative being annexation by His Littleness the Farage aforementioned.

IJ

© Ship of Fools 2016