Thread: All scripture is given by inspiration of God. Board: Purgatory / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020408

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

As discussed ad nauseam, left, right and centre on the Kerg Unto Us... thread, where foretelling prophecy is defended right and centre and even by lefties except left wing loonies like me, well just me (and even I would accept it if God actually did it). I don't want to go near the Dead Horse of inerrancy, but as I asked in the context of alleged prophecy, "As we know from scripture all scripture is inspired; it says so. Including all the God the Killer stuff, which isn't how God is at all; if it doesn't look like Jesus it isn't God. So what is this 'inspiration'?".

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

Buggered if I know mate; it's not a concept I find particularly useful.

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

It's a fascinating topic, Martin, but I'm not sure how we can begin to address it without clip-clopping down into The Equine Graveyard.

FWIW, I don't believe that ideas of divine inspiration necessitate:

- Certain stories being literally true in every detail.

- A requirement to understand Genesis, Job, Jonah and apocalyptic books like Daniel and Revelations in a literal way.

But trying to set my stall out on any of that is going to get me into arguments with both right and left.

I'll have go but we're likely to end up going over very old ground with your 'magic' and 'God the Killer' tropes.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

That's because that's where the problem lies. Usually ends in an argument between people who can't see a problem with God ordering children to be slaughtered in cold blood and those who can.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

hosting/

Yup, it's going to be impossible to discuss this on the back of the Kerygmania thread without touching on inerrancy, so off to Dead Horses we go.

/hosting

© Ship of Fools 2016