Thread: Ash Wednesday/St Valentine's Day Board: Purgatory / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020463

Posted by Fuzzipeg (# 10107) on :

We have been told that we should celebrate the Feast of Love on the eve of St Valentine because Ash Wednesday is a fasting and abstinence day...I see the Catholic Bishops in the USA made the same comment....will it make any difference to you?

Posted by Crœsos (# 238) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzipeg:
We have been told that we should celebrate the Feast of Love on the eve of St Valentine because Ash Wednesday is a fasting and abstinence day...I see the Catholic Bishops in the USA made the same comment....will it make any difference to you?

A big festival day on the eve of Ash Wednesday? That's so crazy it just might become incredibly popular.

Seriously, this is being billed as new idea?

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

You might want to check out this thread on the same topic.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzipeg:

No difference in my household, because we depend on the floral industry for a portion of our income. Wife will be going to work making arrangements from as early as possible to as late as possible on Tuesday and Wednesday (we're seriously talking a few 15 hour days in a row- at least it's an overtime bonanza), and I'm on single parent duty.

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

I live in a place where Roman Catholic bishops give waivers to eat meat (and get drunk) on a Friday when it coincides with St. Patrick's Day. I see no problems with conflating St. Valentine's Day with Shrove Tuesday.

Posted by Joan Rasch (# 49) on :

On the other hand...
quote:
Violets are blue; roses are odorous;
Happy Valentine to Cyril & Methodius.

(a bit of verse of my own composition, suitable for the season ) [Axe murder]

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

At Washington State Universty one group of students will be painting hearts on everyone's cheeks. There will also be another group of students having ashes to go at the common mall. Think of it, students with hearts and ashes at the same time.

Posted by Galilit (# 16470) on :

Remember you are dust...but awfully loveable dust"

(sent to me by a friend)

Thanks, Nick for the link...very Anglican discussion...and Easter Day is April Fools Day...

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

I will be avoiding Shrove Tuesday supper (I hate pancakes) and celebrating VD on the 14th, Guatamalan restaurant.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

Is that with penicillin?

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Depends what one intends to abstain from for Lent as to whether it puts the dampers on any love feasting.

Resurrection Morning falling on April Fools Day? H'mmm, should lend more weight to the Easter fixed daters.

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Depends what one intends to abstain from for Lent as to whether it puts the dampers on any love feasting.

Resurrection Morning falling on April Fools Day? H'mmm, should lend more weight to the Easter fixed daters.

Why? There is something sort of appropriate about it. After all God pulled off one heck of a surprise.

Jengie

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Easter on April Fool's isn't a surprise, it would have to be a practical joke. Like: "hey fooled you! I'm not Jesus, I'm pretending to be him. Did you see how I fooled the women? LOL."

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Might even work in the Church's favour, you know get people talking and so on.
'The fool has said in her/his heart, there is no God' — to quote the psalmist.

"We've come to see the body."

"April Fool!"

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

"the foolishness of the cross"

© Ship of Fools 2016