Thread: No Allelulias in Lent Board: Purgatory / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020472

Posted by Felafool (# 270) on :

For some Christians there is a tradition of not saying 'Allelulia' during Lent. I don't particularly want to debate the reasons for such abstemience, but I do have a couple of questions for those who follow the practice.

Is God to be praised during Lent?

If 'YES' then how do you vocalise praise, instead of saying Allelulia, what praises are appropriate?

If 'NO' , why not?

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Felafool:
For some Christians there is a tradition of not saying 'Allelulia' during Lent. I don't particularly want to debate the reasons for such abstemience, but I do have a couple of questions for those who follow the practice.

Is God to be praised during Lent?

If 'YES' then how do you vocalise praise, instead of saying Allelulia, what praises are appropriate?

If 'NO' , why not?

God is certainly praised during Lent. The reason why Alleuia is omitted is that Alleuia denotes joy, and we fast from joy, to prepare our hearts for the festive joy of Easter.

We praise God during Lent especially as the source of mercy and forgiveness as it is a season to be mindful of our sins and brokenness, acknowledging that it is only through God, that we have life in His name.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

In churches with a tradition of having some form of 'Alleluia' acclamation before the Gospel reading, this is replaced during Lent by singing/saying 'Praise to you, O Christ, King of eternal glory'.

So yes, praise continues!

IJ

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
In churches with a tradition of having some form of 'Alleluia' acclamation before the Gospel reading, this is replaced during Lent by singing/saying 'Praise to you, O Christ, King of eternal glory'.

So yes, praise continues!

IJ

With due respect, isn't "praise to you" the same as "Alleuia"?

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Well, sort of. I think it's just meant to be a substitute for the A-word.

IJ

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

In my tradition, some congregations will drop the Alleluia verses during Lent for the above reasons. But other congregations will continue to use them.

Their argument is that the Sundays IN the Lenten season are not counted as a day of Lent (if they were, then there would be 46 days in lent instead of 40), They see each Sunday in Lent as a "little Easter" that should be celebrated with joy.

Depends on how pietistic you want to be.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
In my tradition, some congregations will drop the Alleluia verses during Lent for the above reasons. But other congregations will continue to use them.

Likewise with my tribe—some congregations will avoid Alleluias and some will not. Our place falls in the later category, though the choir director may use more solemn, less joyful tunes for sung Alleluias.

quote:
Their argument is that the Sundays IN the Lenten season are not counted as a day of Lent (if they were, then there would be 46 days in lent instead of 40), They see each Sunday in Lent as a "little Easter" that should be celebrated with joy.
Didn’t the first ecumenical council of Nicaea forbid kneeling on Sunday for just that reason?

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Miss Amanda would need her smelling salts if she MWd a Lenten service where Alleluia was uttered.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

hosting/

I think this belongs in Ecclesiantics. Hold on.

/hosting

© Ship of Fools 2016