Thread: The Awards Ceremony (part 1): Best Actor/Actress Board: Nativity Play / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000019

Posted by Musical Director (# 3651) on :

No production of this magnitude would be complete without the honorary awards being handed out. The awards available will be posted over the next few nights (there are 6 awards in total) and you are very welcome to dicuss, vote, bribe and yell for your preferred winner.

This category: Best Actor/Actress

Who made the stage lights pale into dimness by the bright shining glory of their perfomance? Who made you laugh, made you cry, made you hurl? Who touched you deeply with their interpretation of the role? Speak now, or forever hold your pieces.

Posted by Herod (# 3649) on :

I'd just like to nominate that Herod chap.

Bloody good performance, if you ask me.

Deserves an Oscar.

Posted by Director (# 3664) on :

It goes without saying. My vote goes to Smudgie, as BVM. [Big Grin]

Posted by Mother Mary (# 3799) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Herod:
I'd just like to nominate that Herod chap.

Bloody good performance, if you ask me.

Deserves an Oscar.

I'll admit he did do a pretty good job, especially of the protracted death scene, but he was definitely outclassed by the Evil Henchman on the last night. She was superb! [Wink]

Posted by Gift of Gold (# 3668) on :

um herod may have a small confession about the henchman's role and gender last night....Herod?

Posted by Phil the Wise Guy (# 3678) on :

This is a tough call as I was impressed with many of the fine performances I saw herein. Who could forget Nanny as the Fairy Godmother, or Kelly as the distraught Wise Guy, or Passer-by 3?

After many glasses of a really nice Rieseling Spratlese, I have blurred vision, a headache and three nominations for best actress: Smudgie as the BVM, Sarky as Evil Henchman, and jlg as Sheep 3. I think all three performances were very well done, with jlg's perhaps a bit more nuanced, since her character was limited to bleating, plopping, head-butting and jingling. Sarky stayed in character magnificently and was a true Evil Henchman in every sense except biological. That being said, I want to make sure to say all three actresses did extremely well and any distinctions in their performance quality was minor.

Best Actor? Hmmmm, tricky. We have lots of stand-out performers: Joseph, me, Brian, Herod, me, Chief Wise Man, Tour Manager, and me. At this point I can't decide if I should be mature and vote for someone other than myself, or wallow is my selfishness and vote for me.

Hmmm...decisions, decisions.

I'm suspending my vote until I come to grips with this issue.

No! [Eek!]

Posted by Sheep 3 (# 3663) on :

Baaaaaaa

Posted by Fairy Godmother (# 3695) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mother Mary:
No! [Eek!]

Such false modesty [Wink]

Posted by Gift of Gold (# 3668) on :

quote:
No! [Eek!]

Yup. Just ask him about the whereabouts of Missy Evil Henchman last night.
had me fooled for ages!!! [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Fairy Godmother:
quote:
No! [Eek!]

Such false modesty [Wink]
Ooops... the perils of cross-posting! My incredulous "No! [Eek!] " was aimed to follow on from the suggestion that Herod might have a little secret to share with the general public. I knew I should have used quotes! [Roll Eyes]

Posted by incurablyGeek (# 3207) on :

I gladly second the nomination of Smudgie as BVM.

What Bravado!
What Passion!
What Stamina!
What Tenacity!

[Not worthy!]

Posted by Eanswyth (# 3363) on :

*Starts chanting and clapping hands in rhythm*

SMUDG-IE
SMUDG-IE
SMUDG-IE
SMUDG-IE

Posted by Fairy Godmother (# 3695) on :

I must admit Smudgie was excellent in her role of BVM/Mother Mary.

Her endurance can only be put down to all those hours practicing in the cafe [Smile]

I only hope her hard drive has withstood the exertion [Wink]

Posted by Stable Cat (# 3657) on :

mrrrreow?

Posted by Herod (# 3649) on :

I'd also like to nominate Sarkycow as best actress for last night's marvellous performance.

Truly remarkable.

I was in awe of the spirited and emotional performance by Passer-By 3 who ... passed by with such skill and finesse. Masterful.

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

I would like to nominate the Musical Director. The way he acted the part of a musician was incredible!

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

I'd have to say Smudgie as the BVM, although SarkyCow did giver her a run for her money last night as Evil Henchman.
As for actor, well, that has to go to Strathclydezero as A Very Naughty Boy (aka Brian). Stoo came close, but was terribly outdone by his own Henchman!

Sieg aka Even Lowlier Shepherd

Posted by Donkey (# 3752) on :

Yes, my vote would have to go to that typing into infinity lady, BVM. What fingers, what blueishness, what modesty.............?!
As a close runner up, I'd have to say Sheep 3 really got her way around all the scenes and added a touch of sheepish delight into the play, Bravo all!

Posted by Angel 3 (# 3687) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Donkey:
Yes, my vote would have to go to that typing into infinity lady, BVM. What fingers, what blueishness, what modesty.............?!
As a close runner up, I'd have to say Sheep 3 really got her way around all the scenes and added a touch of sheepish delight into the play, Bravo all!

Actually, although I second that Donkey, I would like to nominate...
Jesus' Evil Twin - managed to dominate her scenes even when drugged.
The Angel Host (including those who went over to the Dark Side)
and......
Joseph

Joseph was superb for making me laugh out loud...and for defending my honour.... how on earth will I look this man in the face if ever I meet him at a shipmeet? I don't know what I'd have done without Brian, though - thank you scz for being a fantastic rescuer of the scenes where Joseph couldn't make it. And what a sense of humour!!!! Can I do a two-way vote? Please?

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

Has to be Mary for best actress. Her comittment to keeping the scenes going - sometimes for hours - without any of the major characters was awesome.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

Oh heck, I can't decide....

Best actress: either Smudgie (BVM) or Sarkycow (Evil Henchman)
Best actor: scz (a very naughty boy)
Best supporting sheep: sheep 3 (jlg) or Rudolph (ThatsMrJuice 2U)

Posted by Dolphy (# 862) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
I would like to nominate the Musical Director. The way he acted the part of a musician was incredible!

[Killing me] [Killing me]

I vote Smudgie.

Posted by Chapelhead (# 1143) on :

Tough, but I have to vote for Virgin/Mother Mary.

Now, how many votes do we get. If more than one then Phil the Wise Guy, Very Naughty Boy and Donkey would be next on my list.

I think.

[Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

I used to be a musician but now I'm alright.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

Who are you kidding?

Posted by Jesuitical Lad (# 2575) on :

As has been said by many others, Smudgie definitely deserves best actress. Her endurance and good humour were quite astonishing (and worthy of the BVM herself, I'm sure.)

Best actor should go to Kenwritez. I just couldn't stop laughing...

[Killing me]

Posted by bessie rosebride (# 1738) on :

I also give my vote to Smudgie for BVM and Mother Mary. [Smile]

(hoping there will be a "best supporting" category)

Posted by Scot (# 2095) on :

Smudgie as BVM is a shoe-in for Best Actress, and kenwritez as Phil deserves Best Actor. But my real favorite was jlg as Sheep 3 as Best Actor/Actress (species non-specific). I think she carried the show.

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

Excuse me here, people, but what is wrong with you? I deserve Best Actress, beyond a doubt. Sure, the omnipotent part was not much of a stretch, but the evil thing? Come on, that is SO not me! And I was SO convincing!

You people need to lay off the bad crack for a while.

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I deserve Best Actress, beyond a doubt.

No, you demand Best Actress. That's an entirely different, yet equally compelling, matter. [Big Grin]

[Sheep 3 lowers her head, gets a good run at Erin and ...]

*Thump*

Baaaaaaaaaa

*jingle, jingle*

[...and for good measure:]

*sheep plop*

I'm still omnipotent, you know. I haven't smited anyone in quite sometime. [Devil]

Posted by ThatsMrJuice2U (# 3076) on :

I would like to add another vote for Smudgie for her two roles, Virgin Mary and Mother Mary, for keeping the play going when her significant other, Joseph, was predisposed. Also a vote for Stoo as Herod for being such an evil git, and honorable mention for Nanny Ogg for her interpretation of a floozy Fairy Godmother, and for supplying the rest of the cast with liquid refreshments. [Wink]

Now waiting for the non-human nominations ...

And my mouse is hovering over the big red delete ThatsMrJuice2U button, alongside Sheep3/jlg.

You sheep aren't all that quick on the uptake, are ya?

I wonder if there is going to be a category for Most Inspiring Performance?

Posted by ChrisT (# 62) on :

The next category will be posted in about 1/2 hour. I'm not sure what it will be, and the Musical Director hasn't much of a clue as well. But then we all knew that anyway, right?

The winner of the Best Actor/Acrett category will be posted tomorrow night, when the favoured recipient will be required to give a speech.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

I think Smudgie/BVM just has it, though Erin/Evil Twin came really close...

As for the Actor - it was a tough call, until Phil's nekkid bustop dance [Not worthy!]

Though Passer-by 3 also merits an accolade of some sort.

Now how about that Best Sheep award? My vote goes to Rudolph - soppy cow (well sheep really) that I am, I nearly cried when he led Wise Guy to the stable after he'd missed Baby Jesus. Oh boy - time to get a life I think! [Roll Eyes]

Hey, thanks for all the votes [Embarrassed] but most prolific actress doesn't necessarily mean best, you know. Honestly, there were so many excellent performances in the play... I was thrown into uncontrollable laughter on so many occasions by countless people. I'm just torn as to whom to vote for. (If I vote for the Evil Twin people will think it's nepotism) What a fantastic team we make!

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Without a doubt it should definitely go to Passer By 3. A most inspired performance throughout.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Oh, amd I think a posthumous award for Magi 1 would definitely be in order.

Posted by Jenny Ann (# 3131) on :

I nominate myself for being so angelic for a lot of the play. Anyone who knows me IRL knows this isn't so like me. Ok, so my real self shone through for a bit near the end, but mostly I was good!

J

Posted by Pheonix (# 2782) on :

Yes, but were you sober?

Posted by Jenny Ann (# 3131) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pheonix:
Yes, but were you sober?

Mostly. . .

Posted by Pheonix (# 2782) on :

Ah... one of the few (if not only one!)then...

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
I think Smudgie/BVM just has it, though Erin/Evil Twin came really close...

As for the Actor - it was a tough call, until Phil's nekkid bustop dance [Not worthy!]

Though Passer-by 3 also merits an accolade of some sort.

Now how about that Best Sheep award? My vote goes to Rudolph - soppy cow (well sheep really) that I am, I nearly cried when he led Wise Guy to the stable after he'd missed Baby Jesus. Oh boy - time to get a life I think! [Roll Eyes]

I was also impressed with what Passerby 3 did with her role.Special Mention?

And Wise Guy DID cry when Rudolph led "him" to the manger...it was some sort of big symbolic Jungian catharsis moment for me.

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I'm still omnipotent, you know. I haven't smited anyone in quite sometime.

Shouldn't that be "smitten"?

Rossweisse // aka Angel 6 and in no danger of any nominations for anything

Posted by sarkycow (# 1012) on :

Well I thought the Henchman was good too [Smile]

And Mary was ok, but suffered from some kind of verbal diorrhea. Plus she was a goodie, and that's always an easier part to act.

Black Angel deserved a mention, but not an award, cause she seemed to lose heart half-way through, and start acting all nice and stuff.

Oh, and the little angle (sophs) was especially annoying - should get something for that surely [Wink]

Viki

BlackAngel should certainly get an award for Hottest Avatar.

quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:
Well I thought the Henchman was good too ...

The part about going all broody with the Evil Twin was absolutely brilliant. Brava, maestra!

Rossweisse, lately Angel 6 // still hurt that Mr. Tompkins skipped my Boffo Ending

[Angel] [Waterworks] [Angel] [Waterworks] [Angel]

I wanted to see more of Black ANgel, in fact pretty much any angel. And despite my bribes backstage I failed. Oh well.

My vote goes to Passer-By 3. Have I said that already?

Posted by Joan Rasch (# 49) on :

As someone once said, there are no small parts, only large egos. But, seriously now, I do think that sheep 3, Rudolf the Red-nosed sheep, and Stable Cat were particularly good examples of folks who ran with a role, but more importantly, thought the role thru', and did it consistantly.

quote:
Originally posted by Joan Rasch:
As someone once said, there are no small parts, only large egos. But, seriously now, I do think that sheep 3, Rudolf the Red-nosed sheep, and Stable Cat were particularly good examples of folks who ran with a role, but more importantly, thought the role thru', and did it consistantly.

Hear, hear. Joan

Posted by Rudolph the Red-Nosed Sheep (# 3667) on :

Baaaaaa! Thaaaaaaaaaanks, Joan!

Posted by Stoo (# 254) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
The part about going all broody with the Evil Twin was absolutely brilliant. Brava, maestra!

I quite agree.

A stroke of genius, there, sarky!

I really should sort some polls out soon, shouldn't I? Over the weekend, I promise [Wink]

[Sheep 3 looks adoringly at everyone who has said nice things about her.]

Baaaaaaaa

*jingle*

[She then considers that this sort of thing only creates one big ego and a bunch of crushed egos. She lowers her head and takes a good run at Scot]

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

*thump*

[Exhausted by all this mental effort, Sheep 3 settles into a somewhat catatonic stare and chews her cud.]

[ 28. December 2002, 20:20: Message edited by: Musical Director ]

[Killing me]

You're just proving our point...

[Sheep 3 looks at Kelly Alves, wonders if she knows this person, and continues to chew her cud.]

Baa.

*sheep plop*

Hey! Why me?

[scot contemplates mutton for Christmas dinner next year.]

Play nice, people

Baaaa

Posted by The one & only Nanny Ogg (# 1176) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sheep 3:
Baaaa

Does anyone fancy roast lamb for Sunday dinner?

Posted by Dolphy (# 862) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The one & only Nanny Ogg:Does anyone fancy roast lamb for Sunday dinner?
I'll bring the mint sauce!!!

Posted by welsh dragon (# 3249) on :

Is there an award perchance for Best Non-Mammalian Inventor of Doggerel?

looks hopeful

Oh, well, I suppose I didn't really expect there would be. [Two face]

quote:
Originally posted by Dolphy:
quote:
Originally posted by The one & only Nanny Ogg:Does anyone fancy roast lamb for Sunday dinner?
I'll bring the mint sauce!!!
People keep threatening Sheep 3 with mint sauce. Remember, she sharpened her hooves a while back.

(Kelly, who is grateful she sent in the stunt double for that one...)

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
People keep threatening Sheep 3 with mint sauce. Remember, she sharpened her hooves a while back....

And as the three of us are drinking buddies, it behooves the two of us to save her if needs be.

More eggnog, Sheepie?

Idly contemplates Flaming Sword, tries out a few moves as if against the Enemies of Sheep...

Rossweisse // the Artist formerly known as Angel 6

[After two whole days without eggnog, Sheep 3 comes running and quickly empties the bucket of eggnog]

Baaaaaaaa

*sluuuurrrrpppppppppp*

*lick, lick, rattle, rattle*

[Sheep 3 then settles contentedly at the feet of Angel 6]

Baaa.

*jingle*

quote:
Originally posted by Sheep 3:
[Sheep 3 then settles contentedly at the feet of Angel 6]

Angel 6 pours out a fresh supply of eggnog for Sheep 3, then thoughtfully skritches her in just the right spot behind the ears...

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisT:
My vote goes to Passer-By 3. Have I said that already?

I'm waiting for the best supporting actor/atress award for pb3. The only contest here is with the tea lady, who provided a completely different kind of support to the cast.

© Ship of Fools 2016