Thread: What's there not to hate about the summer? Board: Hell / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005605

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Our weather has been hot and wet. Perfect for mosquitos. Outside without repellent meant this morning that one swat on the arm killed 6. The general report is 230 female mosquitos per trap, with the 5 year average being 22.

Vistors. Yes, family. They used us like a hotel. Their flights were on inconvenient days such that 2 weekends were broken up. They are supposed to come to visit their elderly father and give us a wee bit of respite. But that's not their plan. We end up caring for even more people.

One borrows a bicycle. Given a lock with careful instructions to always lock and always lock both wheels and the frame. Now I have to get a new wheel.

Then, I am stopped at an intersection on my bicycle, and a turning car actually turns into me and knocks me down. Then the driver gets out and yells at me, along with her ugly man friend. I was fricking stopped! Feet on the ground!

I need strong drink, winter, a sledge hammer and I don't know what else. I can't figure out if I hate people or mosquitos worse. Summer sucks. People suck. I suck. [Help]

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

You got the plate? Were they nasty enough to set some no-win-no-fee agro into motion? Or report them for dangerous driving?

Rellies - so they lost your wheel and left without buying you one? So these are poor teenagers, right? No? Your adult sibs?

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

No people problems here (human beings tend to stay inside as much as possible during central Arizona summers), but we have heat that most of you can't imagine -- up to 120F/49C; then the "monsoons" arrive with thunder, lightning, downpours, and haboobs (dust storms). The mosquitoes are loving the moisture, and the scorpions are coming inside to escape from it.

[Mad] [Mad] and more [Mad]

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
You got the plate? Were they nasty enough to set some no-win-no-fee agro into motion? Or report them for dangerous driving?

They yelled and yelled and I backed off. I am not really very brave at the best of times. Then they left. Everyone else is "are you all right" and no-one got any plate or anything. I was okay in body, but very rumpled in spirit. It came at then end of the rellies.

quote:
Mark:
Rellies - so they lost your wheel and left without buying you one? So these are poor teenagers, right? No? Your adult sibs?

Adult sib. As self centred as they come. My elderly father gave me back his key in an envelope which also contained some money. My wife has ferreted out that my father actually put the money into it.

I really do suck I think. I must take people on.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I'm not surprised they don't want to come to a malarial hellhole to be glowered at non-stop by resentful sibling. You all hate each other. Acknowledge it and be free.

Get a helmet cam.

Ah well, at least your father felt bad for you and tried to do something positive. Don't let on you know it was him, buy the wheel, mention your (brother?) is not such a twat in your father's presence. Then pluck out the sib's eyes with a drawing pin in whatever photo you can find of him, and post it to him anonymously.

When I got knocked off my bike in very similar circumstances (at least my guy was apologetic) I didn't take him for it either. In fact I trued the wheel myself and tried to tell myself I was pleased for the opportunity to prove I could do it. I guess one either has a taste for litigation, or one doesn't.

I'm in a no-fault traffic accident jurisdiction. No litigation possible.

Talk to me about helmet cams. If I'm going to learn to give it back to people, maybe I'd best start with strangers.

Yes, I do hate my sibs just now. I need them to hate me as well it seems. I seem to lack capacity to be honest with people when they really annoy me or do something wrong. Yes, I am on blood pressure medication. [Disappointed]

Bill them for tne bike wheel for a start.

quote:
I seem to lack capacity to be honest with people when they really annoy me or do something wrong.
Ahh - me too. Well, I kick their teeth out in my head, natch - mentally crying 'raca' and immersing myself in home-brew fires of (angry) hell. Wouldn't it be good to be able to go 'that's rather disappointing - would you mind replacing the wheel please?' instead. It's a focus of prayer for me, but I don't know if I'm really getting anywhere - which might mean I'm so far from 'sorted' that any progress leaves me still such a long way from right in the head. Hey, I'll pray for you, FWIW.

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Our weather has been hot and wet. Perfect for mosquitos. Outside without repellent meant this morning that one swat on the arm killed 6. The general report is 230 female mosquitos per trap, with the 5 year average being 22.

Not tackling family issues.

As to mosquitoes, the year I ate absolutely no sugar or other sweetener, I had no mosquito bites although friends said it was the worse year ever. YMMV.

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

Bikecams—have a friend of mine who has one that, when she showed the footage of the yob who grabbed her ass and tried to pull her off her bike to the police, got compliments from the officers for the great image quality...yes, quality enough that they could recognize the guy. You know, the out-of-school idle youff with nothing better to do than assault volunteer trail maintenance coordinators. There's a reason we were hoping for school to start and summer to end at the bike shop.

And now I moved. To f'n Texas.

Texas.

It was 104º today. Any time it gets above 90º in DC, they think about shutting down the government. Not that anyone could tell, mind you, but they do.

I have the heat tolerance of a Siberian husky (well, and a soft spot for huskies—so much for that!). This isn't going to end well.

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

It's pretty lovely this time of year in Seattle. From what I've heard there isn't a drought causing enormous forest fires this year. It's a nice contrast to the 8 months of dark and rain.

Of course one does get friends and relatives deciding now is the time to visit you now and not rainy season.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:

Vistors. Yes, family. They used us like a hotel. Their flights were on inconvenient days such that 2 weekends were broken up. They are supposed to come to visit their elderly father and give us a wee bit of respite. But that's not their plan. We end up caring for even more people.

ugh. Are we siblings separated at birth? My brother did that precise thing when I was caring for my aging mother. Got quite snippy when I referred him to the car services available for airport transport.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I like summer. Warm days, long evenings, less traffic on the roads.

People, OTOH, they always suck.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Open windows with someone else's music blaring through at top volume, clearly audible half a road away, going on into the night. Children shouting and yelling in the car park as they kick a ball around between the cars and narrowly avoiding denting yours, then getting bored and deciding to pull part of the fence down so they can climb into the car park of the flats next door. The air full of bluebottles which are enjoying the savoury aroma from the row of bins, and hyped up, are exploring the vicinity and your flat, because you're cooking. Public transport suddenly full of short tiny people with loud, high-pitched voices taking up the seats and shouting. Overlong evenings which are still unnaturally bright at 10pm, and too early mornings which are bright at 4.30am.

And wasps.

Other than that, summer is fine, I have no problem with it.

[ 13. August 2016, 07:45: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

I was going to start a thread 'Where have all the flies gone in summer?'

As a country dwelling kid I well recall hedges literally throbbing with the buzz of insects. Get working near a hedge after rainfall and you could expect to bitten by horse flies and driven half crazy by a swarm of black flies.
I can only put their absence down to more and more efficient cattle fly protection breaking the breeding cycle. We don't get mosquitos here as rule.

Aggressive and obnoxious people are a vexation to the Spirit NPFs...
As least they weren't armed -- presumably.

Posted by Joesaphat (# 18493) on :

I miss the darkness in the morning. I tend to get up ridiculously early anyway and generally have a wonderfully quiet time to meditate and do stuff before everyone's awake... not so much in summer. Bring on the heat, lovely, but remember:

'A loud and cheerful greeting early in the morning will be received as a curse.' Proverbs 27.14

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

I hate summer only marginally less than I hate all of you.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

XXOOXX [Axe murder]

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

I like the lovely long days. There always always seems to be so much more time in the summer.

My feeling is that the longest day always comes much too early in the year and should be around the end of July/beginning of August.

M.

Posted by ThunderBunk (# 15579) on :

Are all the kids on this planet on peak whinge simultaneously?

(Oh and why do I have to listen to other people's appalling taste in music just because the sun is shining????)

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

What did you want to go and do a silly thing like that for?

(Although it's not uniformly bad - I find Austin in January quite pleasant.)

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Joesaphat:
I miss the darkness in the morning. I tend to get up ridiculously early anyway and generally have a wonderfully quiet time to meditate and do stuff before everyone's awake... not so much in summer. Bring on the heat, lovely, but remember:

'A loud and cheerful greeting early in the morning will be received as a curse.' Proverbs 27.14

That's my all-time favourite Bible verse, although I know it better in the KJV. Clearly the writer wasn't a morning person!

Posted by cornflower (# 13349) on :

To those people living in Texas and such places you should move to Britain...it's usually not hot enough (not for long anyway), usually plenty (too much) of cool rain, no mosquitos, though in Scotland, LOTS of bitey midges (fortunately I tend not to get bitten too much by stuff, but my husband does), horseflies, but they're not too bad. Hardly seen a wasp in years, bees dying out apparently...we don't generally see more of a wild animal than a fox, badger, hedgehog or squirrel, maybe a deer...though there are wild boar someplaces, wildcats in Scotland....and the famous Beasts of Bodmin, Dartmoor, Exmoor etc etc etc. Oh yes,there is the odd snake if you're lucky enough to see one, but fortunately only the adder is poisonous, and even they're not that bad, unless you're unlucky
Only thing is, you'd be constantly moaning, nonetheless, about the heat, the cold, the rain, the wind, the grey skies, the gloom, the long nights, the short nights, the snow, the lack of snow, the ice, the fog, motorists, cyclists, traffic wardens, general idiots, (everyone is, except yourself), traffic calming measures,(not calming, they make your blood boil...makes you want to see just how fast you can take that road hump, chicane, swerve round the bollard etc..only one doesn't, one has a certain sense of propriety). Oh, people who don't indicate when turning....hm...etec etc
[Big Grin] [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by cornflower:
To those people living in Texas and such places you should move to Britain...it's usually not hot enough (not for long anyway), usually plenty (too much) of cool rain, no mosquitos, though in Scotland, LOTS of bitey midges (fortunately I tend not to get bitten too much by stuff, but my husband does), horseflies, but they're not too bad. Hardly seen a wasp in years, bees dying out apparently...we don't generally see more of a wild animal than a fox, badger, hedgehog or squirrel, maybe a deer...though there are wild boar someplaces, wildcats in Scotland....and the famous Beasts of Bodmin, Dartmoor, Exmoor etc etc etc. Oh yes,there is the odd snake if you're lucky enough to see one, but fortunately only the adder is poisonous, and even they're not that bad, unless you're unlucky.

Don't forget the lake monsters in Scotland.
[Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

What did you want to go and do a silly thing like that for?
If you or anyone else knows, I'd love an answer.

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

[Biased]

Lochs. We have just one lake in Scotland and it is, I believe, monster-free.

[ 13. August 2016, 20:37: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

Ariel, you forgot the open windows leading to the ingress of next door's ciggie smoke because they smoke outside to keep it out of their house. And sometimes not ciggie smoke.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

[Biased]

I went and had a look...nary a ripple on the water, not even a twig that could be remotely mistaken for a monster [Frown] . Most disappointed...I'd thought I'd have at least seen something I could IMAGINE was a monster. I thought the water would be all dark with lowering skies, and sinister, gloomy trees bowing down to the water's edge...in short, that there would be the atmosphere of a Hammer Horror movie - but, no, it was all quite mundane and normal. Of course, I don't know what might have been skulking about behind me... [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Ariel, you forgot the open windows leading to the ingress of next door's ciggie smoke because they smoke outside to keep it out of their house.

Yeah. My local equivalent is the types who smoke out of the windows because smoking is forbidden inside the flats. Some of them take the opportunity to stare into the flats opposite.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
quote:

[Biased]

Menteith is the only natural one, but there are a few artificial ones called lake.
No monsters there? I'd not count on the ban still being in effect...

These lake monsters are undoubtedly jackfish (pike) which come in a few varieties in northern lakes all over the world. . A reliable Métis man described how a "log" about 20-25 feet long swallowed up a family of ducks in one gulp when he was spring hunting geese on Great Slave Lake. He said it was only 18" around. Sea Serpent like. Maybe I shall have happy dreams of one eating rellies tonight. I can confess my premeditated sin tomorrow. With insincerity.

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

quote:

Texas.

It was 104º today. Any time it gets above 90º in DC, they think about shutting down the government. Not that anyone could tell, mind you, but they do.

I have the heat tolerance of a Siberian husky (well, and a soft spot for huskies—so much for that!). This isn't going to end well.

General Sherman said "If I owned Hell and I owned Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas."

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

People, OTOH, they always suck.

Yes to both of those points. Summer is great. People are shit.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

I normally am philosophical about crap British and Irish summers. But this year has been so drab it's depressing. Even when good weather was forecast we got the shit end of the stick.

And - I know it's a First World Problem - but how do you dress for this bleaughhh weather. Other countries get to stash their winter wardrobes or utilize their summer gear. In effed up Britain/Ireland you've got to make provision for rain, cold winds and hot sunshine in the same day's outfit. And as sure as God evolved little green apples the day I put on a summer frock, or short-sleeved t-shirt, or wear sandals because the sun in splitting the trees in the morning, by noon the sky will be full of rain clouds with a stiff nor'easter raking the countryside.

Or vice versa.

Yesterday, in church a number of summer-dressed women all said the same thing. 'I bought this for the good weather. But I'm wearing it now, because if I don't it'll never get an outing.'

"Oh, Ari, you're going to love Texas. So many hot girls there!"

Well, they were sure right about that one. I've seen many a young lady desperately looking for air conditioning.

When I lived in West Africa back in the 80s, we didn't have air conditioning. So, when I was in town (especially during hot-and-sticky May and September), I would occasionally drop into the airline office which did.

Trouble was, the office was hardly busy as there were only two flights each week. And the lady in charge was very fierce and had been there for years. So all I could do was have a cursory riffle through the magazines or timetables before feeling the urge to get back outside again. But those few minutes were bliss.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Ariel, you forgot the open windows leading to the ingress of next door's ciggie smoke because they smoke outside to keep it out of their house. And sometimes not ciggie smoke.

Indeed. (And I'm not just thinking of their barbecue, either).

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
And - I know it's a First World Problem - but how do you dress for this bleaughhh weather. Other countries get to stash their winter wardrobes or utilize their summer gear. In effed up Britain/Ireland you've got to make provision for rain, cold winds and hot sunshine in the same day's outfit. And as sure as God evolved little green apples the day I put on a summer frock, or short-sleeved t-shirt, or wear sandals because the sun in splitting the trees in the morning, by noon the sky will be full of rain clouds with a stiff nor'easter raking the countryside.

This also presents a challenge for those of us who enjoy visiting your soggy land. How should I pack for a week or two in England in the "summer," and how do I fit summerwear, winterwear, and rainwear in one suitcase?

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
how do I fit summerwear, winterwear, and rainwear in one suitcase?

There was something to be said for the steamer trunk.

I don't think UK weather is especially difficult to deal with, except as special Euro-centric pleading via comparing to the Mediterranean countries you folks like to visit, which I guess you should visit before Brexit makes it resemble Canadian-USA post-Sept 11 travel.

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
how do I fit summerwear, winterwear, and rainwear in one suitcase?

There was something to be said for the steamer trunk.
There was something to be said for steamers, if you had the time and money.

quote:
This also presents a challenge for those of us who enjoy visiting your soggy land. How should I pack for a week or two in England in the "summer," and how do I fit summerwear, winterwear, and rainwear in one suitcase?

Easy. Just pack a few light T-shirts (some long-sleeved), some tops/cardigans to go with them, some medium-weight trousers, a fleece that could do for spring/autumn, one of those rainproof jackets that folds up really small, a pair of waterproof shoes, and a folding umbrella. You should then be equipped for whatever the English summer weather can throw at you.

My wife would say "layers"!

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Easy. Just pack a few light T-shirts (some long-sleeved), some tops/cardigans to go with them, some medium-weight trousers, a fleece that could do for spring/autumn, one of those rainproof jackets that folds up really small, a pair of waterproof shoes, and a folding umbrella. You should then be equipped for whatever the English summer weather can throw at you.
That is pretty much what I do, but it would be SO much easier if I could pack for just one season at a time. (Layers are fine until you start removing them one by one and then have to carry them with you for the rest of the day.) But if the weather behaved, England wouldn't be England.

If this thread gets any more Heavenly, it'll fart rainbows.

Do you see the word HATE in the title? Do you? HATE. Where is your HATE? Winter can't come soon enough.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Well, I HATE the image that created. Happy now?

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Do you see the word HATE in the title? Do you? HATE. Where is your HATE? Winter can't come soon enough.

Hatred and anger are snares and delusions that prevent the soul from attaining Enlightenment. Do not give way to them, or you will be trapped on the Wheel of Samsara for many decades yet.

Have a good evening and may it contain no beer.

. [/QUOTE]Easy. Just pack a few light T-shirts (some long-sleeved), some tops/cardigans to go with them, some medium-weight trousers, a fleece that could do for spring/autumn, one of those rainproof jackets that folds up really small, a pair of waterproof shoes, and a folding umbrella. You should then be equipped for whatever the English summer weather can throw at you. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Bearing in mind that a few hundred years ago we had the mini ice-age in Britain where the Thames froze over in July and they had ice fairs on the river. Of course, maybe with climate change, that's not likely to happen...on the other hand, if Yellowstone goes up, apparently it'll make the world a few degrees cooler, so it could possibly be freezing here in summer, and maybe even more (acid) rain, perhaps falling as snow? If we haven't all suucombed to the jagged ash etc. (Sorry, was babysitting last night at my sons and watched a documentary which is otherwise unavailable to me)

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Fucking wimps. Summer rocks. Sunshine, sweet sunshine, more tourist dollars for the local economy, the lawn dies so you don't have to mow it, more Vitamin D. Fortunately I don't have any obnoxious rellies I'm too gutless to stand up to.

All the tourists here wear camo and they want to shoot Bambi, Winnie the Pooh, and other creatures so they can cut their heads off and put 'em on their walls.

Just imagine this here little angel icon [Angel] with a hypodermic needle where her absent nose is, and she invites her friends to punch holes in you and first spit into the hole before sucking up some your boiling blood.

Deer hunting season is in the winter.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I have recently had reason to revisit memories of the last time I sunbathed, on August 4th, 1972, when I developed an allergy to sunlight. It was somewhat disturbed sunlight, due to the arrival of a fierce proton storm from the Sun just as I went out to my parents' lawn at about ten to one (BST), but I haven't taken any risks since.

And I have great difficulty finding cool spots in my home, since I have a flat roof, and the PV panels don't seem to intercept the heat very well.

And I don't much mind the barbecue fumes, so long as they aren't from burned food. It's the other stuff, that I don't want to inhale.

[ 16. August 2016, 08:18: Message edited by: Penny S ]

He didn't say deer, he said fictional characters. You should see the parties that set off after the Snark.

The only actual fauna are giant mosquitos. Which makes you wonder why anyone goes (or lives) there at all.

quote:
He didn't say deer, he said fictional characters.

To be precise he didn't say "fictional" it's just that the creatures he mentions are fictional. Bambi is a deer. Granted WtP is a bear. Bear hunting season is generally in the Autumn. Hunting is by and large an autumnal and hibernal sport.

It's an autumnal activity for some species, with most seasons being in Sept to Nov somewhere. Though there's open season on Peter Rabbit, Nutkin the Squirrel, and other vermin. The spring Teddy Bear season is quite popular as the just woken up hungry bears can be baited to come into close range. One mustn't shoot Owl, and we should be grateful for the reduction in small rodents.

What I hate is the far too crowded beaches (well, there are some that aren't but they tend to be small rocky coves, where you can get cut off by the tide if not careful, or have uncertain currents, no lifeguard. Or else they are virtually estuaries, very muddy, with people ignoring the warning signs and having to be rescued from the mud. I was fortunate enough to visit my sister who was living in BC and we went to the beach in Vancouver. I just couldn't believe it, height of summer, school holidays, but whilst there were quite a lot of people, it wasn't crowded...and it was right on the city. Totally amazed I was. If that were somewhere in UK, there'd probably be standing room only.

Posted by Fredegund (# 17952) on :

No prophet - you'd be in serious trouble if you shot Squirrel Nutkin over here. Go for the greys, by all means it's positively encouraged in Cumbria.

If anyone is looking for quiet beaches, might I suggest the Llyn peninsula? A bit pebbly, but wonderfully quiet.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Another tip: try a beach that requires a bit of a walk from the nearest place to park a car or look for one without loos or a cafeteria/shop.

My favourite beach is less than a mile from the end of a much-advertised beach but requires a c500 metre walk from a small car park with no 'facilities'. I've driven past 3 miles of static cars queueing for the 'proper' beach and parked (with only 3 other cars) for free.

Many Brits aren't prepared to walk or seem incapable of organising themselves a picnic.

Or head for the Pentland Firth/Hebrides/northwest coast of Ireland. Mile upon mile of empty white beaches, their unblemished sands washed by crystalline breakers. God's wee joke.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

I nearly mentioned those miles of beaches. I have rain obscured photos demonstrating why they may be underused. What doesn't show is how hard I was working to hold the camera still in the teeth of a howling gale.

(I was in Scotland last week, another of God's little jokes considering the weather this week.)

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Another tip: try a beach that requires a bit of a walk from the nearest place to park a car or look for one without loos or a cafeteria/shop.

My favourite beach is less than a mile from the end of a much-advertised beach but requires a c500 metre walk from a small car park with no 'facilities'. I've driven past 3 miles of static cars queueing for the 'proper' beach and parked (with only 3 other cars) for free.

Many Brits aren't prepared to walk or seem incapable of organising themselves a picnic.

Yes, that's true, I prefer those sorts of places, but unfortunately my husband can't walk as far as he used, and certainly not on stony or pebbly beaches, not even smallish gravel...kills his feet, even through trainers [Frown]

And speaking of killing...

This thread hasn't got long to live. And depending on what the Torlets get tomorrow in their exams, I'll either joyfully or hatefully execute it. Whichever, summer can go sit on a rusty farm implement.

DT
HH

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

quote:
I don't think UK weather is especially difficult to deal with, except as special Euro-centric pleading via comparing to the Mediterranean countries you folks like to visit, which I guess you should visit before Brexit makes it resemble Canadian-USA post-Sept 11 travel.

UK - and Irish - weather may not be, to you, especially difficult to deal with. However, for those of us who live here and for the reasons stated it is a pain in the backside. There are plus sides, too, of course but that's not what this thread is about.

I'm not sure what 'Euro-centric pleading' is, let alone has to do with the weather?! I daresay it makes sense to you, so that's nice.

And yep, re: visiting Mediterranean countries; been there, done that, liked it very much, thank you, rather like to go back there. Much like almost everyone else I know in the British Isles. Still has nothing to do with what a pain in the butt UK/Irish weather is.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I hate to agree with NP when he is being a know it all, but he's right about the peculiar challenges of North American winter-- at least some parts of it. European, Those of your extended family who made the trek over here in the late 1800's and tried to settle in the wide open prairies were disproportionately wiped out by their first couple decades of blizzards, the longest of which lasted from early October to June ( on and off) and cut off all routes of travel and supplies to the middle territories, in the US. The East Coast/ English/Scottish migrants spent September wondering why the long time locals were bugging the fuck out and heading for the southwest, and were completely unprepared for the volume, strength, and endurance of prairie snow. Even after unusually nasty blizzards hit them three winters in a row.

Except the Norwegians. They did OK. They just pickled fish and used the snow to insulate their lean- tos. This is why Da Lutheranz bred like rabbits in Minissota.

Behold my capricious and undemocratic power! The results are in - and this thread is going to join the pile of old A level notes in the furnace. Go chat about your holidays somewhere else, proles.

Thread closed.

DT
HH

© Ship of Fools 2016