Thread: Verminous satanic critters Board: Hell / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005612

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

Bastards. Satanic little vermin. I have never had moths in my clothes in my life.

And when the evil little buggers decide to come and infest my basket full of woollen items, do they eat my valueless hiking socks, say? Oh no. They head straight for the pure cashmere and munch it to threads. The shawl at least looks like it can be mended, which is a bloody good job because it was a bargain at €150 and I bought it for my wedding. On the other hand, the cashmere gloves are headed straight for the bin. I would have been less upset if I’d bought them myself, but they were a present and I don’t dare tell the person who gave them to me that they turned into breakfast for an agent of destruction straight out of Satan’s backside. My auntie won’t be finding out what happened to her knitting either. Yes, I cried.

I know, I know… treasure up not riches where moths destroy. Still bloody annoyed, though. [Mad] [Waterworks]

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Eek!

By any chance, do the gloves match the shawl? If so, maybe the material/yarn could be used to mend the shawl? FWIW.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

We had them.

Every cupboard had to be cleared out and treated, every carpet taken up and treated underneath. Every MONTH for four months.

[Mad] [Mad]

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

They don't eat polyester. That's me safe then. From moths, at least, as opposed to lightning...

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

You have any old upholstery in the vicinity? One of a set of Edwardian chairs, with horsehair cushions, which was doing duty in the bedroom, was the source of quite a few gnawed woollies before we twigged.

Genocide has been performed in the cupboard. There has been much hoovering and *everything* is going in the washing machine. Fortunately we don’t have carpets.

Where the little buggers came from is rather a mystery.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Are you sure this isn't the dog thread?

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Bastards ... Satanic little vermin... evil little buggers ... an agent of destruction straight out of Satan’s backside

Sounds like dogs.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
They don't eat polyester. That's me safe then. From moths, at least, as opposed to lightning...

Nods. It sometimes helps to be déclassé.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

I don't know where you live, but if the weather is nasty, use it. Bitter cold or fantabulous heat can be deadly. This works especially well for vast hoards of knitting yarn -- put it into a black plastic garbage bag, and leave it out. A garage or porch works best for this, you don't want rain. Also, be certain that garbage collecters, family tidiers, or other helpful people don't get their mitts on it and move it to the dumpster. Leave it out in the brutal heat or polar cold for a couple weeks, and voila, dead pests.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Nods. It sometimes helps to be déclassé.
It also helps to have allergies -- I can't wear wool or have any furnishings (e.g., rugs) made of it.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:

Have you at any point had a window open in the evening after dark?

quote:

Well, it's like this.

A daddy moth and a mummy moth, who love each other very much, give each other a special hug...

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

I took it as given that Hell Hosts were emotionally stunted, but...

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

Hey, don't bring me into this one, I skipped this joint a while back.

What do you mean you weren't?

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Ours came in on charity shop soft toys, bought for the dogs [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Your Hell Host?

WE ARE EVERYWHERE

Just like all the other vermin.

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

I think the V&A use freezing to get rid of some pests, but then they have special freezers to store textiles in. They also use low oxygen atmosphere, but that is not normally available!

But heat also works, and there are firms that will pump hot air into your house for several hours, to kill moths.

We just don't buy wool.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

We've been trying some pheremone and flypaper traps. I don't know if they've got the infestation under control, but they've caught a lot of moths.

Yes, the museums use sticky traps, not so much to catch them, but to see how many there are, so they can then take remedial action. One strange thing they've found is that birds' nests harbour moths. I don't know why. So they get rid of all pigeons' nests on their buildings.

They're not allowed to use pesticides, I think.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/journals/conservation-journal/issue-10/beating-unwanted-guests/

There is an electronic form of termite control. It will kill termites in furniture, but I do not know if it will work for other pests. It uses high-frequency electrical currents to zap the termites. It should work for moth larvae as they have a high water content. Not certain about the adults.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
There is an electronic form of termite control. It will kill termites in furniture, but I do not know if it will work for other pests. It uses high-frequency electrical currents to zap the termites. It should work for moth larvae as they have a high water content. Not certain about the adults.

We have the best anti moth device as far as the adults are concerned. The only sign of an infestation was single moth wings on the floor in the morning. Not an electronic device, and it runs on cat food.

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

I leave the toilet light on at night, with the window closed and door open (kids like a source of light). Moths find their way there in the night (small room, white walls, only bright spot) and I squish them in the morning. Seems to keep numbers down, though the odd woolie has been nibbled over the years.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I think birds' nests are one of the places moths used to hang out before people obligingly set up wardrobes of lovely woollies for them.

My wife bought me a wool scarf last Christmas. Loud screams and groans of despair were heard. However, I've sealed it within plastic bags and a suitcase, has it survived? The tension is killing. I can always microwave it.

[ 21. September 2016, 18:20: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

The other thing that helps a little is to buy or make bags of cedar shavings, lavender peppermint and thyme, perhaps beefed up with essential oils. It is not as effective as the old nasty mothballs but a lot more pleasant to smell and less toxic to humans.

Posted by Ethne Alba (# 5804) on :

Those nasty ruddy little things were the cause of one carpet going out of an upstairs window this summer.

And the reason why that room still stinks of lavender, one squirt and the little blighters shriek and dive for the window. I think there are finally none left.

I have procured a product with the delightfully murderous name of Fury Moth Killer. The packaging promises “lightning action” and claims that it is lethal to the vile beasties at all stages of their life cycle.

I have filled my cupboard and the pockets of all our coats with the stuff and I shall sleep easier knowing my enemy is headed for a grisly death.

Surely L'academie francais would have something to say about that...

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I see moth is papillon de nuit or butterfly of the night which is sinister enough to be going on with. Add 'mort' to that and you practically have a Gothic novel.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

I've just got back from Mexico. After seeing the thing that landed on our screen door one night I am never complaining about British moths again.

(seriously, it was almost the size of my hand [Ultra confused] )

FWIW, I was already translating from French. The original name is "Fury Tue-mites". A French clothes moth is a mite vestimentaire.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I've just got back from Mexico. After seeing the thing that landed on our screen door one night I am never complaining about British moths again.

(seriously, it was almost the size of my hand [Ultra confused] )

I love bugs. Used to play with them when I was a kid. Only time I ever screamed at a bug is when I came across a four inch cricket in a swimming pool in Zihuantenejo.

Bugs seem to flourish in warmth and humidity.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
A French clothes moth is a mite vestimentaire.

Sounds like something we should be discussing in Ecclesiantics.
[Biased]

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I purchased a cheap Zero blue light zapper to deal with flies. It has caught no flies. But it has caught at least one moth of the sort that looks like a clothes moth (a lot look like that) and the literature claims to deal with moths. I may move it upstairs from the kitchen. I haven't had any flies since buying it - odd.

© Ship of Fools 2016