Thread: Mesozoic Park Board: Hell / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005650

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

OK, fine, I admit that I haven't been keeping up much around here lately. But I hear things. From, you know, the people who actually do stuff. And it seems like there might be some need - for a place for people like me to emerge and roam free, blithely unaware of how time has progressed.

And so, the crusty RooK locomotes out of whatever deep crevice he has been hibernating in to peer around the realm.

LOOK! Is that a tomb? From a great distance, perhaps. But it seems insufficiently squamous or rugose. Perhaps it too has recently re-emerged and needs time for its fresh new dermal layer to toughen.

Maybe if we call out "SHITHEAD!" loudly enough, we'll be able to lure a Pyx_e into view. Then, as is custom, exchange kicks to the balls.

I wonder if there is any way to summon a Wood? No, not like that, you filthy perverts. I mean the milkman of human kindness kind. So full of slivers of insight and fragile in introspection. I miss that.

Aw, fuck. A RuthW. Avert your eyes; don't make eye contact. It's an act of aggression. Or worse, affection. Viciously correct creature, paradoxically consistently Left but always right.

Oh hey Yorick. No, wait, he's shambling off. Again. Probably offended by some reflection. Pity. He's fun to throw rocks at. Mostly harmless.

I wonder what these nasty old fucks think about Donald Drumpf? Because every vote for him was an act of utter fucking idiocy.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

With the greatest of respect, what the fuck are you on about? You sound about as lucid and comprehensible as Martin.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

[Disappointed]

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 66) on :

I think it's hysterical.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Doesn't RooK live in one of those pot-head states where everyone rides bicycles? Is there any connection?

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

No. But he is from one. He moved south to escape civilisation.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
I think it's hysterical.

Holy fuck! The Ships nets are dredging deep!
Whose next? Gort? Squiggly Andrew?

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
I think it's hysterical.

Wow! You're the first person I mentioned missing on the Landlocked Shipmates thread!

[Yipee]

(Apologies for using a smiley face in Hell.)

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

To me it sounds like RooK's running his own weird version of Pokemon Go on the Ship.

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

I think Ruth has it. Although I think there is TomB envy in there as well.

Jengie

[ 04. January 2017, 20:27: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

Well, if this turns out to be a Circus thread, I'm going to be pissed.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
I think Ruth has it. Although I think there is TomB envy in there as well.

Jengie

Envy? I only know tomb tangentially from unrolling a few Ship papyri, but in his latest foray onto her decks, there is nothing to envy. Unless one aspires to be a cantankerous, myopic bigot spoiling for a fight.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Although I think there is TomB envy in there as well.

That would be an odd thing to be envious about.

I'm sure RooK can manage a lot better than appearing from nowhere to launch a Hell thread targeting someone who has hardly posted a word here in years. I'm also sure RooK can manage to work out that someone who anyone who has joined in the last few years could be forgiven in going "who?" wouldn't be categorised as an "authority" on the Ship. Envy of an ability at hit-and-run posting stupidity would be the mark of someone with the intellectual maturity of Max, not RooK.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
To me it sounds like RooK's running his own weird version of Pokemon Go on the Ship.

This made me laugh so hard I probably startled the neighbour's cat.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
I think it's hysterical.

Sine, your ice-cream spoon advice is sorely missed.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

I miss Shamwarmi. There's not nearly that standard of crazy around these days.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

I'm sure RooK can manage a lot better than appearing from nowhere to launch a Hell thread targeting someone who has hardly posted a word here in years.

Isn't that kinda what he actually did, with the OP?* Considering the others he mentioned, perhaps it was just a misanthropic mating call.

* Though, yes, he did manage better than tom, the b is for bastard. Or bigot, blowhard, bampot

WOW! A Siné! My knees are developing spontaneous rug burns at the sighting. Who remembers when we plotted to capture one and purée one into an ointment of topical suave? Grand times, back in the naughties.

Earlier, in the depths, I thought I heard the distinct low moaning of a Viola. That was exciting.

quote:
Originally posted by some fucking 5-digit-member-number:
With the greatest of respect, what the fuck are you on about?

Oh noes! Somebody doesn't get an inside joke reference! Fall down a well and die.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie:
Although I think there is TomB envy in there as well.

Ya think? The magnificent bastard has racked up a debt of screaming laughs that I have no hope of ever repaying. I show my respect by mocking the creaking old asshole.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Well, if this turns out to be a Circus thread, I'm going to be pissed.

Pray tell, dear sir, what the everliving fuck in this place doesn't piss you off? Because that seems to be the rarer specimen than all these antediluvian creatures.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Yeah, well, you're not featured here as a chubby purple creature with one off-center antenna.

But I'm gonna throw him a bone and respond to what was probably the point (my word but the boy knows how to bury the lede):
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I wonder what these nasty old fucks think about Donald Drumpf? Because every vote for him was an act of utter fucking idiocy.

I daily give thanks that I live in California, where we not only have a governor, legislature, attorney general, and a hired legal gun who will be looking after our interests, we now have legal weed as well.

More pissed than usual, then. Winter makes me an especially grumpy bastard. As does Spring (fucking pollen). And Summer (bastard sun). Autumn can go do one as well. Second week in April is usually tolerable. Usually.

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

Obviously, since you seem to have forgotten that the original topic was ice-cream forks, not spoons.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
quote:

It's a goddamn great idea, is what it is. Anybody out there got App skillz?

quote:
I daily give thanks that I live in California, where we not only have a governor, legislature, attorney general, and a hired legal gun who will be looking after our interests, we now have legal weed as well.

Wow, I hadn't heard about Eric Holder.

As for the pot, someone or other told me it wouldn't be legal till 2018. Which gives me a sad, because the minute I can't be fired for trace amounts of THC, I am fucking giving it a go. Can't smoke it, of course, 'cause of the Asthma, but I figured brownies would be ok. And only on special occasions.

[ 04. January 2017, 22:34: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
I think it's hysterical.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gort. He's an okay guy when he's sober. Drove us over a computer when ours died from like 1.5 hours away. Not sure how many of the high and mighty here would have done the same.

Re. Squiggly Andrew: Avert!

The one I never want to see again is that chick who thought that CO2 couldn't possibly be dangerous because it's heavy and if there were too much of it we'd all smother. Therefore there is no such thing as global warming. Interesting phenomenon. Obnoxious to try to reason with.

I shite 3 turds on this thread. One for the nostalgia. One for all of the insider knowlege. And one as a gift to RooK for starting it all.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
quote:
I think it's hysterical.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gort. He's an okay guy when he's sober. Drove us over a computer when ours died from like 1.5 hours away. Not sure how many of the high and mighty here would have done the same.

Re. Squiggly Andrew: Avert!

I wasn't knocking either of them, those were just the first names of prominent, long silent posters that came to mind in response to Sine's reappearance. My vague memory of Gort is from decent to a quick descent into crazy posts and Squiggly Andrew from mad orthodox to mad atheist to implosion.
quote:

The one I never want to see again is that chick who thought that CO2 couldn't possibly be dangerous because it's heavy and if there were too much of it we'd all smother. Therefore there is no such thing as global warming. Interesting phenomenon. Obnoxious to try to reason with.

Don't remember her. The reasoning sounds of someone who spent too much time in CO2 rich environments.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I shite 3 turds on this thread. One for the nostalgia. One for all of the insider knowlege. And one as a gift to RooK for starting it all.

Another turd for your envious ignorance.

quote:

quote:

Don't remember her. The reasoning sounds of someone who spent too much time in CO2 rich environments.
Myrrh. Definitely tried my patience.

quote:
quote:

quote:

I was wondering about Emily Elizabeth wossername. Not downright evil, but pretty weird.

Yeah - a Gort¹ sighting would be old-school rock and roll. Partially because of how well I loved him when he was sober, and partially to yell at him for how much I hated him when drunk.

"Instant karma" - feh.

¹ now Alfred E. Neuman, methinks.

P.S. tomb:
tooooooomb... There be style errors in this post. Horrific ones that Strunk and/or White would have strangled me for. You know you want to point them out.

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
quote:

Obviously, since you seem to have forgotten that the original topic was ice-cream forks, not spoons.
Notoriously he left his set in the Hosts' lounge, where they have not received a lot of use in recent years, I confess.

John

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

This thread reminds me faintly of the immortal Calling Erin to Hell thread that Marvin recalled in All Saints.

RooK's OP wasn't as preposterous as Norman's in that thread, but it calls for some recognition anyway.

So I've just made a contribution to the Floating Fund. Anyone care to join me?

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
quote:

Notoriously he left his set in the Hosts' lounge, where they have not received a lot of use in recent years, I confess.

John

Gin is a bit difficult to drink from a fork.
[Biased]

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

quote:
I shite 3 turds on this thread.

One of the advantages of being full of shit?

Not any more silly. Shited out. In a nice little nostalgic pile. Oh weren't the old daze so wonnerful before Jebus started eating Brassicaceae.

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

It appears the zombie apocalypse is upon us, and the first ghastly corpse to rise is RooK's. Figures.*

As this includes a Hellish version of one of those winsome "Where are they now?" threads in All Saints, I would like to declare my fervent hope that good old pedophile DmplnJeff never see the light of day again. "Twelve year old women" indeed. Creepazoid.

However if Laura or Spiffy da WonderSheep decided to exit their graves, that would be cool.

*If anyone needs me, I'll be selling zombie-proof pitchforks on the lower level.
Standard model: -----E
Discounted for damage: -----F
European model: -----€
Get 'em now!

Laura! [Waterworks]

I mean, I chat with her all the time, but it sure would be fun to see her mix it up here.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

And Spiffy back, too!

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I was wondering about Emily Elizabeth wossername. Not downright evil, but pretty weird.

Was she the one who claimed to be the illegitimate daughter of Edward VIII?

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

quote:
My knees are developing spontaneous rug burns at the sighting.

Wait, those were on his knees?

quote:
now Alfred E. Neuman, methinks.

And then overboard I think?

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
If anyone needs me, I'll be selling zombie-proof pitchforks on the lower level.
Standard model: -----E
Discounted for damage: -----F
European model: -----€
Get 'em now!

Other models here.

Ψ

ψ

🔱

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Was she the one who claimed to be the illegitimate daughter of Edward VIII?
AIUI, she was mentally ill--to the point where her posts were all erased, IIRC.

Needless to say, the whole Mesozoic Park exists Discworld-like on the back of Mousethief's post count. My main worry as an Admin is that his post count may eventually become so massive so as to collapse local reality...

Shit. Now I've got an all-new hypothesis for how Trump won.

quote:

That's some good shit. Especially after the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot news about house Repugnicans trying to crush the independent ethics committee. Sure, they walked it back after Drumpf pointed out how incredibly awful that looks as a first action (and undoubtedly massive public outcry). But what kind of vile fuck even contemplates such shit?

I bet Deano voted Trump.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
now Alfred E. Neuman, methinks.

And then overboard I think?
In Leviittown did Irving Khan
A lovely Cape Cod house decree,
Where Alf (the sacred) Neuman dwelt

and so on - you can find the remainder of the fragment here.

quote:
quote:

As I recalled first thing this morning
[Hot and Hormonal]

Gordon Cheng should be added to the list, perhaps?

Who Scott christened a pestilent pustule on the buttocks of the body of Christ on planking.

I miss IngoB by the way. I know that sounds wrong to some.

Posted by Goldfish Stew (# 5512) on :

Somehow I always suspected there would be a Ship reunion in Hell

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

You do realise Pyx_e has also dropped by of late, just to add to the re-union.

(BTW, if you're nosing around again, Pyx_e, nice to see you)

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

shithead

quote:

She called me to Hell once. Man, that was fun [Big Grin] . I'd have her back just so I could laugh at the craziness.

But then, I've always had a soft spot for the totally batshit insane fuckwits. Emily Whatserface-Hyphen and her alien Annunaki masters who are towing the earth out of the solar system. ThomasDF and his War With No Rules. Shamwarmi and his "no seriously, I am actually a God" ravings. Watchman and his endless screeds about nothing in particular.

They were so much more fun to take the piss out of than this insipid modern lot.

Posted by Viola (# 20) on :

[Snore] [Confused] Bristol reunion then Pyx_e & Kingsfold?

Ah for the olden days.

Etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
They were so much more fun to take the piss out of than this insipid modern lot.

The age-old cry of the nearly-dead echoes down the years. Damn kids etc.

Posted by Stoo (# 254) on :

Wait... is this the thread where I can lament for the old days when The Ship Was Funny?

Or is it the one where I call you all asshats?

Meh. One or t'other.

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
quote:

quote:

Erin's last post was the one banning her. It seems fitting somehow.

Sine!!!!!!!!!!!! So pleased to see you. I hope this isn't just a post and run.

Tubbs

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Myrrh got planked. I kind of miss her, lunatic links and all.

IngoB, Trisagion, andreas1984, JimT, Mad geo, now them I really miss.

Gordon Cheng, not so much. Max, not at all.

Who was the guy who kept complaining that the CoE (or maybe it was TEC) was just too darned God-centered, and people who wanted to go on about God should go somewhere else and leave the place to people like him? He was interesting.

IngoB and his intransigent anti-Protestant bigotry hidden in vast reams of text caused Wood to put up his hands and say "I've better things to do with my time than argue with idiots like that" (paraphrase).

If I could have one of them back, it wouldn't be IngoB.

quote:
Originally posted by Stoo:
Wait... is this the thread where I can lament for the old days when The Ship Was Funny?

Or is it the one where I call you all asshats?

Meh. One or t'other.

Perhaps you could instigate a new speaking in tongues thread in Heaven? That was the one that caused me physical pain laughing.

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

hmmmm....

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

That geezer who used to put "God bless you" at the end of every post.

And bloke with no punctuation who was a member of that group that drive around in multi-coloured vans handing out food....

That wasn't Bro something, Brojees or Brogees? A monky sort of bloke who took condescension to new depths?

And there should be a passing reverence at least for Fr Gregory! He was one of the first people I debated with when I joined the ship as an apprentice. He drove me nutty, but I really grew to like him over the years.

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
That wasn't Bro something, Brojees or Brogees? A monky sort of bloke who took condescension to new depths?

For some reason I'm thinking Craig. CraigB?

quote:

That was a truly classic case of someone knowing JUST enough science to get things spectacularly wrong.

The one I never want to see again is that chick... [/QUOTE]
Woman is to man as chick is to ???

quote:
The one I never want to see again is that chick...

Woman is to man as chick is to ??? [/QUOTE]

Bloke.

PS If you're going to ask stupid questions, at least code them properly.

[ 05. January 2017, 14:09: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

John

Speak fer yerself, Boopsie. Nothin' better than a fine silver spork for my afternoon instant ramen. Mmm, mm, absurd and pretentious implement put into service for proletarian, lowbrow ends.

Look at me, Mommy! I'm a PoMo!

quote:
quote:
The one I never want to see again is that chick...

Woman is to man as chick is to ???
Bloke.

PS If you're going to ask stupid questions, at least code them properly.
[/QUOTE]
No bloke isn't the equivalent to chick. Chick implies stereotyping and sexism. No one uses the word bloke around here, but I don't think it implies the degradation of a person because they are male. Chick is at about the level of 'fag' for a gay man.

Coding! For the love of God, coding!

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
quote:
quote:

John

Speak fer yerself, Boopsie. Nothin' better than a fine silver spork for my afternoon instant ramen. Mmm, mm, absurd and pretentious implement put into service for proletarian, lowbrow ends.

Look at me, Mommy! I'm a PoMo!

We could turn them into Hosting implements. Anyone who doesn't behave gets smacked with a silver ice-cream fork.

Tubbs

[ 05. January 2017, 15:59: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

"Rusty ice-cream spork" has a nice ring to it.

Just as long as it's blunt.

SHITHEAD!!!

Posted by Prester John (# 5502) on :

quote:
Who was the guy who kept complaining that the CoE (or maybe it was TEC) was just too darned God-centered, and people who wanted to go on about God should go somewhere else and leave the place to people like him? He was interesting.

I'm drawing a blank on the name but I believe he was given shore leave- permanent or temporary I know not- by Rook for saying some rather libelous things to Trisagion.

Maple leaf or pot leaf: you decide.

(eta: salvia? Could be salvia.)

[ 05. January 2017, 15:57: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

T'was just saying hello to an old friend, from the end o' the previous page.

Dude, you're turning into that guy that everyone crosses the street to avoid.

Turning into?

quote:

Dave Marshall. If one argued he got all "I'm sorry you find this so threatening, it just goes to show how much vested interest there is in not being really reflective of the lived lives of ordinary Christians".

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
quote:

I'm drawing a blank on the name but I believe he was given shore leave- permanent or temporary I know not- by Rook for saying some rather libelous things to Trisagion.
Both Dave Marshall and Radical Whig fit that description, (although I have no recollection of either of them being planked under those circumstances.)

Posted by Prester John (# 5502) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
quote:

Both Dave Marshall and Radical Whig fit that description, (although I have no recollection of either of them being planked under those circumstances.)
Radical Whig is who I was thinking about. He was comparing Trisagion's employment in the RC Church in light of the child abuse scandal with being a willing participant of the Nazi government. Right after that he went bye-bye.

quote:

Is that guy who was beset by robbers on the road between Jerusalem and Jericho?

Certainly quite a few of those planked former members here that have been named turned out to be the self-righteous jerks who cross over to the other side of the road.

quote:

I always thought that was the aspiration.

quote:

I bet Deano voted Trump.

Like any other prick, the mere thought of possible attention causes it to rise is head up. Between your mention and the vote thread in Purg, he's stroking for England. Hopefully there is no Viagra around. Because then, like most pricks, he'll not last long.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

quote:

Funnily enough, I thought Mogwai when I read that. Whichever sex they were (I got the impression they were female and of the tofu-knitting persuasion), they really hadn't a clue about anything, and were a virulent anti-vaxxer as well.

AG

Wow, almost glossed over the peekaboo by Stoo - the official winner of the Heaven-Hell war. I used to think less of him for not posting so much. Now I just think less.

quote:
Originally observed by Doc Tor:

Don't you equate me to Trump, you irritable bowel with a keyboard.

quote:

Please. You think Sine's fine tines are anything less than silver?

They don't rust, they tarnish. Or they would, if I didn't have the butler polish them every day. Get it right, plebeian.

[ 05. January 2017, 17:33: Message edited by: Ariston ]

quote:

quote:
Just as long as it's blunt.

Have you ever come across a spork which wasn't blunt?

I've a +5 Vorpal Spork. Let me introduce you to it.

The Vorpal Spork went snicker-snack.

quote:
No bloke isn't the equivalent to chick. Chick implies stereotyping and sexism. No one uses the word bloke around here, but I don't think it implies the degradation of a person because they are male. Chick is at about the level of 'fag' for a gay man.

Oh FFS. As a North American, you have permission to replace "bloke" with "guy".

Or you could just wander off on your personal crusade to defend women until you catch a man-cold.

quote:
quote:

Oh FFS. As a North American, you have permission to replace "bloke" with "guy".

Or you could just wander off on your personal crusade to defend women until you catch a man-cold.

Okay girlie man

Posted by Rosa Winkel (# 11424) on :

Who was that guy who used to bring up speaking in tongues all the time? He had a red avatar, I seem to recall. A member of some sect.

Squiggle Andrew and Myrrh used to bring out good posts from other shipmates here in refuting their twatishness.

Anselmina--

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
And there should be a passing reverence at least for Fr Gregory! He was one of the first people I debated with when I joined the ship as an apprentice. He drove me nutty, but I really grew to like him over the years.

That last sentence is my experience of him, too. He had several incarnations here, and IMHO gradually got much better. And he was kind to me, on one or two occasions. I'd like him to come back.

Actually, he briefly surfaced, within the last couple of weeks, IIRC, about the Syrian situation. (I think it was in Purg.) He said he'd love to come back, if he didn't have so much on his plate already.

I don't know what the male equivalent of "chick" would be. "No prophet" perhaps?

I do know that "girlie man" is intentionally insulting to women, implying as it does that being like a woman is shameful for a man. N.P. surely knew that, making his use of it, um, ironic, perhaps? I dunno. The logic of his choice of that insult isn't immediately apparent.

Radical Whig was who I was thinking of. He wanted to turn the C of E into some kind of secular drinking club. Dave Marshall was of a different sort. He wanted to turn the C of E into something like the Theosophists. Bit of a crusader. Any thread was equally in danger of a sudden and inexplicable injection of his patented brand of mystical woo woo. Good times.

[ 05. January 2017, 23:32: Message edited by: mousethief ]

You may read this: Hey baby, street harassment, a good description of daily lived experiences. And yes I am fucking sensitive about such stupidity. For good fucking reason. If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem. The word "woman" comes to mind. Oh or is it locker room talk?

[ 06. January 2017, 00:29: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

And where does that article mention the word "chick"?

You seem to be confusing a rejection of your particular brand of perceived sexism with a general rejection of the sexism experienced by women. There isn't anything in that article I disagree with. But unless I've missed it, it provides no support for your assertion that "chick" is intended to demean.

[ 06. January 2017, 00:38: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Oh, for God's sake. I'm quivering with outrage.

The opposite of "chick" is "dude". What, were you people raised by wolves?

I feel like swatting a couple heads with a surfboard.

[ 06. January 2017, 00:40: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Ah, DUDE. Of course. Sorry, that term doesn't get used over here. Bloke is the local version and I couldn't translate.

quote:
Ah, DUDE. Of course. Sorry, that term doesn't get used over here. Bloke is the local version and I couldn't translate.

Provincial

quote:
IngoB and his intransigent anti-Protestant bigotry hidden in vast reams of text caused Wood to put up his hands and say "I've better things to do with my time than argue with idiots like that" (paraphrase).

If I could have one of them back, it wouldn't be IngoB.

I agree, although there's a newish post on the Landlocked thread in All Saints praising him - and even Zappa said he was Ok IRL.

Right, this is in Hell and there's nothing to stop IngoB coming back should he wish. He just did an almighty flounce dressed up to make him appear hard done by. He was nowhere near as bright as he tried to make out. Much of his posting was a series of debating tricks but lacking any real substance. His spouting of what he thought is RC theology was dry and academic - Thomas Aquinas lacking the humanity he ultimately had - and sounded to me that he had a conservative theologian send him a reply dredged from an out-of-date text book. Perhaps it was from that Irish poster who was convinced that Benedict was far too liberal; even that the SSPX should have been more vigilant in making sure that use of the Ambrosian rite was limited to Milan, that sort of thing.

In other words, I did not like him nor did I respect him.

quote:
quote:

Provincial
Yep.

Just a quick review: everybody hereabouts is essentially supportive of equality for women and as sensitive to issues of systemic bias as our individual perception can allow - yes? Yeah, I though so.

No prophet, you're the philosophical equivalent of an own-goal pretty consistently. Do you know what that might mean?

Yes. I'm sorry. It means you're really fucking stupid. And annoying. Hate to be the one to break it to you. It can be hard to hear.

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

In other words, I did not like him nor did I respect him.

Wow does this varies greatly depending on the speaker and subject.
Fr. Gregory, for example. Anselmina mentions growing fond of him, whilst I found that the more familiar the more contemptuous.
But I think this is because I dared mention that orthodoxy might not be perfect. I came to picture him wearing an orthodoxy or death shirt, swinging a razor-encrusted censor at any who might deign to question the one, true version of the one, true sect of the one, true faith.

Fr. G. could be a real dick. No question.

IngoB was dick through and through. He was a #1 A-class jerk, whose favorite debate tactics were the tu quoque and the ad hominem. Very knowledgeable asshole.

quote:
He just did an almighty flounce dressed up to make him appear hard done by.

This is the "flounce".

quote:
No prophet, you're the philosophical equivalent of an own-goal pretty consistently. Do you know what that might mean?

I'm awaiting his next "Yeuch! Vegetarians/vegans exist! Oh won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!" thread.

quote:
quote:
He just did an almighty flounce dressed up to make him appear hard done by.

This is the "flounce".
Yes, an almighty flounce when he realised that he was on a losing argument and did not want to own up to it. Very dressed up as a face-saving gesture.

Can anyone remember the name of that Irish RC poster who totally lacked the sort of humanity we see in eg Forthview and Adam. (ex-Hart)?

quote:
Yes, an almighty flounce when he realised that he was on a losing argument and did not want to own up to it. Very dressed up as a face-saving gesture.

Well in that case I allowed myself to be conned on the basis that a) he'd never realised he was on a losing argument before b) he'd never dressed up a face-saving gesture before - presumably under the apprehension he didn't need it and c) he's never written anything remotely like that leaving post before.

But anyway he's gone quiet, and based on the way he was posting I think it's probably healthier for him that he has.

You may want to read the whole linked thread, but IngoB had painted himself into a corner and could not get out - so got out of the whole Ship.instead. At least that's the conclusion I'd reached. YMMV. I'd stopped following a thread having caught him trying to manoeuvre me into a position he could say "Snap" or words to that effect. But it's far too pleasant an evening to think much upon him.

quote:

The islamophobia was what confirmed it for me.

quote:
IngoB was dick through and through.
No, he just had the wrong idea about what sort of debate we were interested in here. There's a place for his preferred sort of ultra-competitive winner-takes-all debating style, but it's not here.

quote:
quote:

IngoB was dick through and through.

No, he just had the wrong idea about what sort of debate we were interested in here. There's a place for his preferred sort of ultra-competitive winner-takes-all debating style, but it's not here.
After many suggestions ISTR he wanted a board dedicated to that, but no one else rose to it. He should have taken this as a hint much earlier, but Bingo couldn't take a hint delivered with a Louisville Slugger.

quote:
Can anyone remember the name of that Irish RC poster who totally lacked the sort of humanity we see in eg Forthview and Adam. (ex-Hart)?

It was CL.

Oh God. Don't remind me of Ingo's stupid belief that a message board ought to behave like a ritualised jousting tournament.

If he ran a pub, he would require all patrons to book a table in advance, wear formal evening dress, and your fish and chips would be the 7th course on a set degustation menu.

Thanks mdijon.

Surely higher up the list than 7th course - by then you'd be onto the red.

The King of the Asshats had an avatar of Nelson Mandella, but did mellow with age if memory serves.

Does anyone remember ThomasDF? I think mousethief christened him Thomas Dumb Fuck.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Who was that guy who used to bring up speaking in tongues all the time? He had a red avatar, I seem to recall. A member of some sect.

He believed that if you did not speak in tongues, you could not be saved. He posted this doctrine on every Keryg thread.

I was very relieved when he was banned.

Moo

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
The King of the Asshats had an avatar of Nelson Mandella, but did mellow with age if memory serves.

I think you might be referring to Johnny S.

I'm rather enjoying this ramble down memory lane! [Big Grin] Although some mentioned were before my time...

quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
quote:

I'm rather enjoying this ramble down memory lane! [Big Grin] Although some mentioned were before my time...

Johnny S. was, IIRC, a comparatively nice evangelical. I frequently disagreed with him but he was hardly King of the Asshats. A baronetcy at most, IMO. [Biased]

quote:

Johnny S. was, IIRC, a comparatively nice evangelical. I frequently disagreed with him but he was hardly King of the Asshats. A baronetcy at most, IMO. [Biased]

Yes, he did mellow greatly with age as I mentioned, but he certainly had his moments before that. I only engaged with him in the later stages.

There was another Fr Gregory mini form (London based) orthodoxen who was a rather holy soul. I had some very profound discussions with him. Can't for the life of me recall his name though.

quote:
quote:

Yes, he did mellow greatly with age as I mentioned, but he certainly had his moments before that. I only engaged with him in the later stages.

There was another Fr Gregory mini form (London based) orthodoxen who was a rather holy soul. I had some very profound discussions with him. Can't for the life of me recall his name though.

Fr. Phillip?

No, don't think so.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cosmo. He screwed up royally with some Mystery Worship reports of himself, IIRC, and it even made the Church Times. But he was very helpful in some PMs we exchanged.

quote:
Oh God. Don't remind me of Ingo's stupid belief that a message board ought to behave like a ritualised jousting tournament.

If he ran a pub, he would require all patrons to book a table in advance, wear formal evening dress, and your fish and chips would be the 7th course on a set degustation menu.

I kinda liked the guy, but [Killing me] true story!

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
quote:

My, slightly vague, memory of him was that his posting content was at odds with his avatar.
The vagueness is that I do not remember why his avatar was inappropriate, not whether it was.
Archduke at least.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cosmo. He screwed up royally with some Mystery Worship reports of himself.

I bemoan the loss of some of the Shipmates who jumped overboard as a result: Ultraspike, Pillar of Salt, Sacristan (although I think he just got tired of it all).

It was nice to see Sine Nomine peek out from behind the cloud again.

Bingo was a special snowflake. I still feel like my ability to not feel bothered by him was symptomatic of something horribly wrong with me. Marv and orfeo are completely right about his dedication to pugilistic interactions. But what I think made him so utterly fascinating - and generally destructive inter-personally - was his absolute inability for either introspection or empathy.

There's something charming about confidence and certainty. But it can only go so far. Even for president-elects.

quote:

There's something charming about confidence and certainty. But it can only go so far. Even for president-elects.

Who are you on about? The president-elect most in the news only has one of those qualities. That is fairly obvious, unless one is a daily hiel reader,* I suppose.

*Can they be called readers, I wonder. There should be at least a base level of comprehension, to be considered literate and if they had that, they wouldn't be reading that poor excuse for loo paper.

Posted by Stoo (# 254) on :

quote:
quote:

The islamophobia was what confirmed it for me.
I'm just bitter he never let me try his hat on.

quote:
quote:

Who are you on about? The president-elect most in the news only has one of those qualities. That is fairly obvious, unless one is a daily hiel reader,* I suppose.

*Can they be called readers, I wonder. There should be at least a base level of comprehension, to be considered literate and if they had that, they wouldn't be reading that poor excuse for loo paper.

Oh fuck me, i read that wrong. Appropriate subject for a mis-post, at least.

What lingers for me about Fregory was that he was only really keen on discussing with me during my first visits to the site, where I was snarkily anti-religion as my main kernel of interest. After I developed a broader sense of respect for many of the myriad participants in Purgatory, and settled somewhat more comfortably in my agnosticism, Fregory seemed to have no need to talk with me.

I suppose interest in debate often has an inverse relationship between intensity and longevity.

Do you think his islamophobia was a necessary core belief, or merely a logical extrapolation of he spittle-flecked style of loyalty to Orthodoxy?

quote:
Thanks mdijon.

Surely higher up the list than 7th course - by then you'd be onto the red.

At Ingo's place, you wouldn't be up to the red yet. That was kind of my point.

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

I rather liked Goodric.

And the ships quiz.
I loved the shitstorm that Quizmaster introduced by setting the challenge 'Post a thread and the thread with lowest post count is out' and the conniptions it caused when one poster called him to Hell for it as their thread.

[ 06. January 2017, 21:05: Message edited by: Patdys ]

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Remember a Duncan somebody with that scary sardonic grin avatar from my lurking years.

quote:
Do you think his islamophobia was a necessary core belief, or merely a logical extrapolation of he spittle-flecked style of loyalty to Orthodoxy?

Islamophobia goes pretty deep in Orthodoxy. The Orthodox east bore most of the brunt of the spread of Islam beyond the confines of Arabia. And they stole Our City. That that was hundreds and hundreds of years ago, and today's Muslims weren't there at the time, is known by today's Orthodox to wildly varying degrees.

quote:
Does anyone remember ThomasDF? I think mousethief christened him Thomas Dumb Fuck.

Yes and he christened my wife the Queen of Hell. We had great fun with that at the Mousehold, I can tell you. He thought we would all be impressed with him because he claimed to be a Hollywood scriptwriter, although he wasn't at liberty to say which scripts he had actually written. God, he was fun to tweak.

Come to think of it, we haven't had a "bring it on, I'll take you all with one hand behind my back" noob for quite a while. How the glory has faded.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

Didn't J have "Queen of Hell" as her tagline for a while? I seem to remember a hilarious Hell thread about that too, which she handled with panache.

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Didn't J have "Queen of Hell" as her tagline for a while? I seem to remember a hilarious Hell thread about that too, which she handled with panache.

Yes! As i recall she was also chief bully out prime bully or comparable. "Prime Bully and Queen of Hell." Something very like that. A direct quote of TDF of course.

[ 06. January 2017, 23:52: Message edited by: mousethief ]

quote:
He thought we would all be impressed with him because he claimed to be a Hollywood scriptwriter, although he wasn't at liberty to say which scripts he had actually written.

Like those aren't 15 to the dozen. Should have asked him which Starbucks he worked at

quote:

Come to think of it, we haven't had a "bring it on, I'll take you all with one hand behind my back" noob for quite a while. How the glory has faded.

Please, God, let David Miscavige find us.

Because seriously, wouldn't it be awesome to fuck with David Miscavige? [Snigger]

And I'm pretty sure Josephine's Calling ThomasDF to Hell thread is in Limbo somewhere. You don't have to recall anything, you can relive the magic.

ETA: Ah, here it is!

[ 07. January 2017, 00:41: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Wow. The thing that stands out about him, after his monumental ego, is how badly he writes.

Tiger alert! Tiger alert!

Posted by Goldfish Stew (# 5512) on :

quote:
quote:

Wow. The thing that stands out about him, after his monumental ego, is how badly he writes.
Which is actually a reason to believe his claim to be a Hollywood script writer...

quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
quote:
quote:

Which is actually a reason to believe his claim to be a Hollywood script writer...
Even porn writers have more skill and style than that idiot.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

quote:

And I'm pretty sure Josephine's Calling ThomasDF to Hell thread is in Limbo somewhere. You don't have to recall anything, you can relive the magic.

Well, that was entertaining. Bit of a trip down memory lane, too. I poured myself a glass of wine and had a good read, admittedly skipping a lot of TDF's tirades. (A Mousethief Cooler would have been more appropriate, but I'm out of gin.)

[ 07. January 2017, 03:04: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

Re TDF:

At the time, there was speculation that his two teenage sons periodically hijacked his account, and that was why "his" writing was all over the place, in terms of style, quality, and content.

Posted by Dave W. (# 8765) on :

quote:

What? Where!??

EEEK!

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

quote:

Why can't you call a spade a spade?

quote:
quote:

That was a fun re-read. What has always stood out for me about him was his profound inability to comprehend written english.

quote:
Originally posted by Palimsest:
quote:

Why can't you call a spade a spade?
Well, after about 1928 it started having the problematic similarity to a racial slur in the US. Plus, if your personal philosophy has some alignment with Oscar Wilde's, there is the thought that those who insist on "calling a spade a spade" are those who probably have to use them due to mental limitations.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:

What? Where!??
Dammit, Dave, your tiger hardly counts. It's ironic. It's a hipstertiger. Like, it needs chunky glasses, a tissue-thin scarf, and v-neck American Apparel tee to show off its three chest hairs.

Anyway, the whole tiger thing jumped the shark after I wore it for about a week. It's mainstream now. So. Over.

[ 07. January 2017, 06:29: Message edited by: Ariston ]

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:

quote:
Yes! As i recall she was also chief bully out prime bully or comparable. "Prime Bully and Queen of Hell." Something very like that. A direct quote of TDF of course.

Queen of Hell for Dumb Fuck sounds like a good deal to me.

Posted by Rosa Gallica officinalis (# 3886) on :

quote:

Was that Otyetsforma? He was wonderful- a Canadian who had moved to England, been a CofE vicar & became Orthodox when he retired. He lived in Oxford but served a church in London. We met at a shipmeet in Thame, when he was in his 80s. He had recently inherited a significant sum from his sister in Canada, and as he had no need of it he treated us (about 6-8 shipmates) to lunch in a very nice restaurant.

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Part of the danger of arguing all the difficult people off the ship is you end up with non - difficult people. No grit no oyster. Yes they drive you mad but they also are what has made us. They worst draw out the best, it's why I like RooK.

Secondly it is very rare that anyone ever "wins" an argument on the whole internet never mind on the ship. For me winning these days is less about; "Ha I win, I am RIGHT." And more about , the funny, the poetry, the Grace and maybe even the sneaky Glory. And that comes out more when the community is "eclectic."

[ 07. January 2017, 14:30: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
They worst draw out the best, it's why I like RooK.

You draw RooK out do you?

quote:
It's a hipstertiger.

Hipstiger. Perfect opportunity for true word art and you cannot see it. [Disappointed]
BTW, something is over by the time you've noticed it.
You are so hipstarn't.

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

Pyx-e
quote:
Part of the danger of arguing all the difficult people off the ship is you end up with non - difficult people. No grit no oyster. Yes they drive you mad but they also are what has made us. They worst draw out the best, it's why I like RooK
Surely the oyster is there whether you have grit or not? What matters is the pearl.

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Gallica officinalis:
quote:

Was that Otyetsforma? He was wonderful- a Canadian who had moved to England, been a CofE vicar & became Orthodox when he retired. He lived in Oxford but served a church in London. We met at a shipmeet in Thame, when he was in his 80s. He had recently inherited a significant sum from his sister in Canada, and as he had no need of it he treated us (about 6-8 shipmates) to lunch in a very nice restaurant.
Thank you! I was looking for him on the Landlocked thread in All Saints. I met him at a Toronto shipmeet. He was very good conversation. Has he gone unto glory?

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

Max was planked while I was doing a long spell wandering ashore. Father Gregory is one I kind of miss. Bingo not a bit, nor The Boy Priest or Fiddlebitch.

Kelly, thanks for digging out that old thread! I miss Sarkycow - how dare she go and get a life...

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Max was planked while I was doing a long spell wandering ashore.

EAT IT NOW!

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Max was planked while I was doing a long spell wandering ashore. Father Gregory is one I kind of miss. Bingo not a bit, nor The Boy Priest or Fiddlebitch.

Maybe Max should return - he's changed.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

Musing happily to self... A heartwarming thread on a freezing cold winter day, recalling Alice Roosevelt Longworth's, "If you can't say something good about someone, sit right here by me", (sometimes attributed to Dorothy Parker). Apologies for the interruption.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

Pyx_e, Rook. Get a room. I miss IngoB too. But he knew he was on to a loser.

[ 07. January 2017, 17:59: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Part of the danger of arguing all the difficult people off the ship is you end up with non - difficult people.

Sorry. I'll flounce. Actually I have enough difficulty with ratshit arseholes in the allegedly real life™ world of my former day job to rark up the nasties on the ship. So I'll remain a meepy dweeb.

quote:
Originally posted by a shithead:
They[sic] worst draw out the best, it's why I like RooK.

I see what you did there. One year we should meet up and not have a drink together.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Maybe Max should return - he's changed.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!
I really should publish the ongoing exchanges with Max. from a couple years back when we were re-evaluating his petition to return. Antisocial Personality Disorder doesn't change much.

Your perspective on reality never fails to underwhelm, leo.

quote:
Part of the danger of arguing all the difficult people off the ship is you end up with non - difficult people. No grit no oyster. Yes they drive you mad but they also are what has made us. They worst draw out the best, it's why I like RooK.

Sure. And my life was more exciting when the local arsonist used to regularly try to burn my house down. He made me more alert and agile.

[ 07. January 2017, 20:48: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:
quote:

Sure. And my life was more exciting when the local arsonist used to regularly try to burn my house down. He made me more alert and agile.
Don't be a tool.

How many of these difficult people are maliciously setting out to harm us? The closest I can think of is curiousbuddhist and even then it was a result of some health issues. (I am post hurricane Joanne).

The majority of these people have different opinions and may struggle to express them. They may have some personal health or personality issues or views that make it harder for them to express themselves in this medium. Or they simply may press our triggers.

There is a difference between being a shithead and a malicious shithead.

I have learned an awful lot from the people here I share very little in common with.

And Pyx_e, welcome back my favourite non malicious shithead.

Yes, there is a difference between being a shithead and being a malicious shithead.

There is also a difference in consciously deciding to continue being a shithead after you've been explicitly told that the rest of the community perceives you to be a shithead.

There is also a difference in deciding that you quite enjoy the effects of being a shithead.

Somewhere in Ingo's brain, to pick my own bete noire, there might well have been a notion that being a shithead was the right and noble thing to do, a calling from God. A calling so directly from God that it was truer than anything a mere Pope might say, never mind a Shipmate.

And that helps, how? When nothing can be done to steer someone away from being a shithead, for years and years, is everyone else supposed to just say "he doesn't really mean anything by it"? "It's just his way"?

A common trope these days with fictional supervillains is that they want to destroy the world and kill almost everyone so they can make a new better world. Well gee, how noble. In that case, go ahead. Your MOTIVES for mass murder are in service of a higher cause.

And to pick an extreme real life case, Anders Breivik was defending traditional Norwegian heritage and culture, as a "cultural Christian". And so massacring young people from the political party that encouraged immigration was, well, it was the right thing to do!

If an arsonist has an uncontrollable compulsion to set fire to things, they're not being malicious. But they're still going to burn my house down.

[ 07. January 2017, 21:43: Message edited by: orfeo ]

I'm sorry that's far too deep and crisp and perceptive and sharp and felt for the Fifth Circle, Wrath per se. Dis within the Fifth perhaps: for sins that philosophy and humanism cannot fully understand.

Hmmm. More than Dante there are echoes of Milton's central character in Paradise Lost about IngoB. A lofty tragic offendedness at being cast down among such poltroons.

[ 07. January 2017, 23:55: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

The thing is, people and ideas are not static with respect to each other. And, fundamentally, the differentiation of the two is absolutely necessary for a society to flourish.

Ideas need to be tested, and mistrusted until they withstand some reasonable scrutiny. A brutal culling of weak ideas is the machinery of reason. By exposing ourselves to many ideas, we get to reap the benefits of testing them against each other and thereby improving our understandings. Meanwhile, while people are one of the ways that ideas are carried, it helps if they're afforded some basic respect and forgiveness for sometimes not being right.

And that's what Bingo consistently got wrong. He only ever cared about the ideas, but not in finding the right ones - only finding ways to bludgeon others with his ideas as effectively as possible. It is possible he would not care if other people existed attached to the keyboards providing "debate practice". I valued his presence because I valued testing his ideas, but there's no denying that he was a shitty-ass person.

Sometimes I worry that we scare away people who disagree with some of us. But then I look at how little we agree with each other - other than on the value of being decent fucking people. And it seems obvious that what we scare away are mostly just shitty people.

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

There is a difference between being a shithead and a malicious shithead.

What orfeo said about that. If I punch you for practice or with malice, it kinda won't matter to you. And If I don't stop after you ask me to, the motive doesn't matter.

As far as difficulty communicating, this is a discussion site. Kinda need to learn to communicate on one of these things. The effort must be bi-directional.

I am far more odd than Martin60 pretends to be, and I manage.

quote:

Sometimes I worry that we scare away people who disagree with some of us. But then I look at how little we agree with each other - other than on the value of being decent fucking people. And it seems obvious that what we scare away are mostly just shitty people.

Every time someone accuses SOF of being an echo-chamber, I remember the people I argue with here, sometimes quite vehemently. And with people I like not only the wastes of space like beano and romanidiot.

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

Such a quaint thread.

Posted by Yorick (# 12169) on :

I feel nostalgic about the old days of the Ship of Fools, but it's more algia than nostra. A few of those rocks had pointy bits. But Pyx_e is saying something important here, girls and boys, along with Patdys. Any contributor leaving is a loss, howsoever unpopular and disruptive they may have been.

So, why do they go, when not planked? I wonder if some of the old bastards RooK misses might feel a bit like me when they drift off. This is best described as a cross between the remorse of a motherfucker hangover after the office party in which one lies dying in one's whisky sweating meningitic fug trying to work out if it was only a dream that one slobbily hit on the boss's wife whilst everyone else watched with an expression of sober contempt, and the dazed embarassment of a reprogrammed escaped cult member looking in from the outside and realising what the fuck happened whilst secretly missing the orgies.

One mostly lurks, in that case, and finds the New Heavy Host-Lite style too off-putting.

(Sending love to Sine).

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Any contributor leaving is a loss, howsoever unpopular and disruptive they may have been. So, why do they go, when not planked?

quote:
And it seems obvious that what we scare away are mostly just shitty people.

Shipmates I know personally who have jumped ship told me they did so because they felt they were being ignored. And they are definitely not shitty people.

Discussion has swirled in the past about those who are perceived as the Ship's "in crowd." Ironically, some Shipmates who have disappeared into the deep blue sea are those who were considered members of that very same "in crowd." I won't name names here.

Cosa as in nostra then too Yorick?

IngoB lost. He quit he was behind on postmodernism.

Heh, I said "mostly" for a reason.

As for those that leave not out of fear, there are a multitude of factors shifting attention away from discussion boards.

But I hear what you're saying - Yorick and Miss Amanda. And I won't argue that you're very wrong.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Started reading this thinking it was the Ship's Ouija Board, careful who you summon up - even CB and Joanne get a mention eventually. But most of the recent dragons have been very tame by comparison, maybe the Ouija Board is losing its power? There could be a banning amnesty. It could make life the right sort of exciting - choppy waters instead of a tsunami, you never know.

quote:
So, why do they go, when not planked?

For the same reason I do not post as often as I did. The Ship is not my life, but it has become part of my lifestyle, something to be balanced along with all the other less enjoyable stuff, like w*rk and f*m*ly.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

balaam, are you sure you meant to say your family was less enjoyable than the Ship?

Yorick, Facebook and Twitter, plus all the more recent manifestations such as Whatsapp, Snapchat and all the rest, have all happened since the Ship began. Lots of the people who aren't here are spending their time elsewhere on social media, or occupied by their young children with the partners they met through the Ship. When the Ship first began these sorts of bulletin boards were the way of getting in contact with like minded people. These days there are lots of other ways.

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Shipmates I know personally who have jumped ship told me they did so because they felt they were being ignored. And they are definitely not shitty people.

Discussion has swirled in the past about those who are perceived as the Ship's "in crowd." Ironically, some Shipmates who have disappeared into the deep blue sea are those who were considered members of that very same "in crowd." I won't name names here.

Ok, so what do you mean by ignored? I cannot speak for everyone, obvi, but I have felt that. Still do at times.
I think it is a by-product of a group dynamic that attention will be uneven and seemingly random. Especially in a medium such as this where small bits of written word are all the representation/information we have of each other.
IMO, this forum is actually easier for the odd to exist in than the face to face world. The limited structure reduces the variables, simplifies the "rules" one must observe to fit in.
That said, what could be done differently? This is a real question and concern.

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Any contributor leaving is a loss, howsoever unpopular and disruptive they may have been. So, why do they go, when not planked?

quote:
And it seems obvious that what we scare away are mostly just shitty people.

Plenty of my posts have been ignored, while others have been replied to in selective fashion. However, it's up to other people whether they engage with me, my posts of every part of my posts. No one has any right to response here or elsewhere on social media.

In the words of Erin, maybe some should pull their big gurl panties up, and get with it.

(x-posted with lilBuddha)

[ 08. January 2017, 18:32: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

lilBuddha - I think this feeling of being ignored is when posts aren't responded to and the discussion goes on without any acknowledgement, from my own emotional response from trying to interact on a thread. Lots of interaction on threads gets ignored because people just answer the post they are responding to because they disagree, or quote from a representative response rather than answering every single post on a thread, because when that happens it gets very clunky.

But after thread after thread without a response feels as if you're being ignored, even if it's because people are agreeing with you, passing on and just debating with the posters they don't agree with.

Posted by ThunderBunk (# 15579) on :

To me, what gets forgotten far too often in Purg and sometimes elsewhere is that this is supposed to be a community, not simply a talking shop. My strong sense is that my posts are only engaged with in Purgatory to the extent that I forget this myself. I dislike this intensely, for all I do enjoy debate. Debate is not of itself a reliable means by which to build community, and I fear that this latter process is being neglected.

quote:

In the words of Erin, maybe some should pull their big gurl panties up, and get with it.

I was rather trying to avoid such terminology. Whilst there is, and should be, an element of that, no form of meaningful communication is one-way. IMO, the community does owe responsibility towards its members and should be about welcoming and maintaining that welcome in as far as reasonable.
I think SOF mostly does. But not perfectly, not without the possibility of betterment.

CK,
Yeah, that is the kind of ignore I was speaking of and, I think, the kind Miss Amanda was as well. But I ask because it might not be.
I would add also: posters responding to a point one has made only after another person makes it. This can add to that feeling as well. There are a number of cues that can engender such a feeling. I do not think it practical or reasonable to try to address all of them, all of the time.

And I have been on the other end as well, accused of ignoring because I did not acknowledge a reply/confirmation/similar thought.

Responding to everything said by everybody is simply not practical.

Part of Facebook's success is due to the fact that the Like button enables people to be given the validation of being "heard" without any effort. But around here, a bunch of posts that did nothing more than "Like" previous posts would most likely derail the process.

quote:
CK,
Yeah, that is the kind of ignore I was speaking of and, I think, the kind Miss Amanda was as well. But I ask because it might not be. I would add also: posters responding to a point one has made only after another person makes it. This can add to that feeling as well.

Yes, that's my understanding of what people have told me. I've felt it too at times, plus what lilB has added -- especially that, in fact.

But it hasn't made me jump ship. Oh, I've gone off to my cabin below deck and sulked, sometimes, when I've been attacked, especially when I've felt I'd been attacked unfairly, but I've always gotten over it eventually.

quote:

Part of Facebook's success is due to the fact that the Like button enables people to be given the validation of being "heard" without any effort. But around here, a bunch of posts that did nothing more than "Like" previous posts would most likely derail the process.

Not what I am suggesting. What am I suggesting? I haven't a clue.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Started reading this thinking it was the Ship's Ouija Board, careful who you summon up - even CB and Joanne get a mention eventually. But most of the recent dragons have been very tame by comparison, maybe the Ouija Board is losing its power? There could be a banning amnesty. It could make life the right sort of exciting - choppy waters instead of a tsunami, you never know.

*like*

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
balaam, are you sure you meant to say your family was less enjoyable than the Ship?

Ms killed ... please turn on irony detector.

Posted by Dave W. (# 8765) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:

What? Where!??
Dammit, Dave, your tiger hardly counts. It's ironic. It's a hipstertiger. Like, it needs chunky glasses, a tissue-thin scarf, and v-neck American Apparel tee to show off its three chest hairs.
I prefer to consider it an homage.

(And no, that's not my pennyfarthing, I've never seen it before.)

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

quote:
quote:
Max was planked while I was doing a long spell wandering ashore.

EAT IT NOW!
I sometimes hear that in my head when someone receives a host and looks as if they don't know what to do with it!

And some magic has happened on this thread, as I understood Martin's post without recourse to a dictionary of philosophy.

quote:
quote:

And see, just because my post was straight after yours, you think I was responding to you?

I wasn't.

HELLO, HELLO, MR ADMIN PERSON, HELLO, I HAVE SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT TO SAY, LISTEN PLEASE, OKAY! PLEASE, WILL YOU ALL STOP IGNORING MY POSTS! REPLY TO ME! WHAT DOES A UNICORN HAVE TO DO TO GET SOME FRIGGIN' ATTENTION AROUND HERE! I'M ON FIRE, FOR CHRISSAKE! FIRE, PEOPLE! FIRE!

No sign of Wood yet unfortunately.

Too many trees.

The washing machine's playing up.9

quote:
Too many trees.

Ba-dum tiss.

quote:

quote:

quote:
And see, just because my post was straight after yours, you think I was responding to you?

I wasn't.

Like.

I think that Facebook in particular has become the new focus for the sense of community Thunderbunk feels has departed.

I'm not on Facebook, and I'm not sure it really does maintain a sense of community in a healthy way, but I do think it appears superficially to do so better than the Ship, and that it is the single biggest explanation for the slow decline we are in.

What I think fora in general, not just the Ship, do far better than Facebook is provide a record of discussion on different topics in some kind of sorted order.

(It is one of my pet peeves that the decline of fora as a medium in general has not led to any decent replacement medium; I think it's just led to a decline in the quality of online communities).

I frequently refer back to old threads here on subjects I find important, and find them invaluable. In Purgatory and DH people take the time to back up their arguments with links, and refer back to other people's posts. You can even see views shifting over time.

You simply don't get that on Facebook. My circumstances mean that I hardly get anything like that at all regarding faith issues IRL either, so I find the Ship invaluable in that respect. I've scarcely read anything else remotely theological in over ten years (which may explain a lot).

Oh, and I frequently feel my posts have been ignored.

I've decided the only way to deal with this is to imagine that people have been struck dumb with awe at my brilliance.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
WHAT DOES A UNICORN HAVE TO DO TO GET SOME FRIGGIN' ATTENTION AROUND HERE! I'M ON FIRE, FOR CHRISSAKE!

Out of interest which unicorn is it? I have a four year old daughter so I feel I ought to recognise her but I don't.

In your case, there are actually times when that assumption is valid.

(There is no rule against being slightly nice in Hell. It just isn't actively encouraged.)

Oh FFS Dafyd, couldn't you have read my mind and held off posting for 2 minutes to avoid the cross-post? Sheesh.

I don't know whether to [Hot and Hormonal] , [Projectile] , [Axe murder] , or [Killing me]

Posted by passer (# 13329) on :

quote:
Oh FFS Dafyd, couldn't you have read my mind and held off posting for 2 minutes to avoid the cross-post? Sheesh.

What's that you say? Facebook has nested reply streams? Whatever next!

Posted by Hiro's Leap (# 12470) on :

quote:
What I think fora in general, not just the Ship, do far better than Facebook is provide a record of discussion on different topics in some kind of sorted order.

Agreed, although "the internet never forgets" isn't a good thing, especially for young people. I reckon the Ship has a nice balance, with material being kept long enough for meaningful discussion, but eventually the best being archived and the rest drifting peacefully away.

Another major plus for forums is that (pseudo)anonymity allows more honest discussion. It's not perfect, but it's still an extra layer of insulation from work and family.

quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
Another major plus for forums is that (pseudo)anonymity allows more honest discussion. It's not perfect, but it's still an extra layer of insulation from work and family.

It also allows you to interact across a broader spectrum of people and ages.

I doubt if I'd have engaged in deep conversation with a transgender MtF person in a same-sex relationship through a friend suggestion on FB, or (if I'm honest) taken comments from another, different poster so life-changingly seriously if I'd known she was not only female, but barely out of nappies at the time.

Posted by Hiro's Leap (# 12470) on :

Yep. Total anonymity has its problems, but pseudo-anonymity + active moderation helps a lot. (And while most forums may be struggling, Reddit seems to be OK, and that's just a behemoth of a forum.)

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

quote:

Oh, and I frequently feel my posts have been ignored.

I've decided the only way to deal with this is to imagine that people have been struck dumb with awe at my brilliance.

[Big Grin]

Posted by Yorick (# 12169) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I have a four year old daughter

Well shit, I always imagined you to be prohibitively unattractive to breeding females and/or too elderly to secure an adequate erection for the deed.

Only goes to show.

[ 09. January 2017, 10:23: Message edited by: Yorick ]

For me, watching the interplay between Gordito and Zappa amongst others helped shape my changing theology. From a conservative background to a grace dependent liberal view.
But I needed both Gordito and Zappa to highlight the difference. It was the interplay and gnashing of teeth that spoke to me.

And Mousie and Little Masha taught me stuff about Orthodoxy which I would not be exposed to in my current life.

And RooK, remembering bits of your description of your experience with your Dad has recently helped me with my own parents.

Never assume that you are talking to the one person on a thread. I post very little but read almost as much as ever. I just don't have any clever insights worth sharing generally.
And don't care much how I'm viewed on board any more.

But the richness of my experience on this ship still informs my daily practice. And I value that greatly. We are still in halcyon days- we just need the passage of time to see it.

And Yorick, It is better to be thought a miserable old git... than post... [Razz]

quote:
quote:
I have a four year old daughter

Well shit, I always imagined you to be prohibitively unattractive to breeding females and/or too elderly to secure an adequate erection for the deed.

Only goes to show.

Yes, it goes to show that you think rather too much about the possible physical attributes and sex lives of other Shipmates.

Mind you, if it turned out that there are some attractive fit men in our midst, I wouldn't object to discovering that information...

...women. All they gave me in Edinburgh was a bunch of women!

EDIT: And Rook isn't really my type.

[ 09. January 2017, 12:00: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Is Jeremiah Goatscheese still here?

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
Is Jeremiah Goatscheese still here?

You mean Inorganic Ineptus Capacitor?

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

quote:
posted by Orfeo:

Hang on, didn't scz turn up to that meet? [Paranoid]

quote:

And Yorick, It is better to be thought a miserable old git... than post... [Razz]

I think he's got the whiny label pretty much covered.

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:

This has been bugging me.

And we have a quote function. Which you used. Which I didn't on that occasion - my choice, my facing of the consequences, or not because this is Hell and sometimes it's more entertaining to unreasonably blame someone else.

A quote function which I'm now using to make it clear who I'm responding to.

A quote function that can nest several more levels than Facebook manages.

But apart from you being basically wrong in your implied critical comparison, the real reason it's bugging me is: in all these years, I'm struggling to remember a single time you posted something that wasn't about the functioning of the board. I'm sure you get something out of being so terribly meta, but all I get out of it is an acute irritation any time your name comes up.

You're like some kind of self-appointed auditor.

quote:
Out of interest which unicorn is it? I have a four year old daughter so I feel I ought to recognise her but I don't.

This reminds me of the time when Erin took some time off and I altered my avatar to be a black-and-white copy of her gator to mess with people's heads. Just having the gator avatar made people think I had been promoted, and I started getting congratulations both public and private. Others just seemed to gawp, transfixed with disbelief.

Until somebody ratted me out to Erin. Suddenly I was sporting a vivid pink My Little Pony avatar, and much hilarity ensued. Over the years I even trotted the little pink MLP avatar on special occasions to get some laughs.

Except that now I have a four-year-old daughter, and I am also fully conversant in the details of My Little Pony. And I must confess that I am a fan; it's kind of brilliant.

[Makes appropriate gestures at Patdys and orfeo.]

quote:

Facebook nesting isn't the equivalent of a thread on SOF. Facebook was not designed for long discussions or conversations. It has not really migrated very far from its Hot or Not origins.

quote:
Antisocial Personality Disorder doesn't change much.

I didn't realise you'd qualified as a psychaitrist.

quote:
quote:
quote:

(snip)
But apart from you being basically wrong in your implied critical comparison, the real reason it's bugging me is: in all these years, I'm struggling to remember a single time you posted something that wasn't about the functioning of the board. I'm sure you get something out of being so terribly meta, but all I get out of it is an acute irritation any time your name comes up.

You're like some kind of self-appointed auditor.

I'm sorry to hear about your memory issues. And I'm sorry that I irritate you. And yet my post was relevant and on-topic. And light-hearted. Your point about levels of nesting is well-made.

You see, here's the rub. A couple of people have, earlier in the thread and elsewhere, talked about a kind of disconnect that seems to exist between types of member. I remember the "in-crowd" discussions of yesteryear (sorry you don't recall my brilliant contributions), but I don't think that members set out to deliberately ignore or snub others. I do think that the availability of something akin to the "like" button would go some way towards ameliorating this situation.

Earlier in this thread a couple of jokey "like" posts were made, but I also recall that this was expressly forbidden by tptb some years ago. Some such facility might go some way to gently encourage people to become involved, whilst serving to avoid giving the impression that no response implies exclusion. If I get a lot of likes on a FB post, I sometimes feel a responsibility to add another comment, for my people, you understand!

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I always get a lot of 'likes' on my FB posts - but, then, I am posting photos of my puppies [Razz]

quote:

Let's not dwell too long on all the myriad of things you don't realize.

quote:
I don't think that members set out to deliberately ignore or snub others. I do think that the availability of something akin to the "like" button would go some way towards ameliorating this situation.

... Some such facility might go some way to gently encourage people to become involved, whilst serving to avoid giving the impression that no response implies exclusion.

No, no and again no.

These are discussion boards, not popularity contests. The quality of a post is judged (very subjectively) by how well it contributes to a discussion, not the number of people who claim to like it. Why people like something is important, and that can only be known by someone posting in response and saying so.

Facebook serves several purposes, and I agree with earlier comments that it is probably better suited to sharing aspects of our lives (because you can just post pics of where we've been on holiday, or our puppies) that make it easier to maintain relationships. But it's poorly suited for discussion.

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

quote:
I always get a lot of 'likes' on my FB posts - but, then, I am posting photos of my puppies
OK, this isn't the first time I've ruined a perfectly good evening by being unable to walk past a poor joke left unmade. In this case, UK readers might like to read the above line in the voice of Barry Cryer, Tim Brooke-Taylor or Jack Dee.

In fact Boogie, you are the lovely Samantha and I claim my five pounds.

[ 09. January 2017, 20:07: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

quote:

Until somebody ratted me out to Erin. Suddenly I was sporting a vivid pink My Little Pony avatar, and much hilarity ensued.

A well-remembered moment. The first RooK post sporting My Little Pony had a single-word response.

"Aiyeeeagh!!!".

Or something similar. Couldn't find the original in Limbo/Oblivion. But I did laugh a lot. A typical Erin riposte.

[ 09. January 2017, 20:12: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
OK, this isn't the first time I've ruined a perfectly good evening by being unable to walk past a poor joke left unmade.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards being cured.

quote:
quote:
I don't think that members set out to deliberately ignore or snub others. I do think that the availability of something akin to the "like" button would go some way towards ameliorating this situation.

... Some such facility might go some way to gently encourage people to become involved, whilst serving to avoid giving the impression that no response implies exclusion.

No, no and again no.

These are discussion boards, not popularity contests. The quality of a post is judged (very subjectively) by how well it contributes to a discussion, not the number of people who claim to like it. Why people like something is important, and that can only be known by someone posting in response and saying so.

And that's it. The design of the Ship is set in stone. It is as it will be. The Adminisphere has spoken. Discussion only, no inclusivity. Dry and impersonal. That the Circus, or Heaven, or All Saints might benefit from some soft enhancements to make people more chummy is an overhead not to be considered. They're fine as they are.

I have no argument with you, Alan. To your credit you have stuck rigidly to this line of argument every time this or similar discussions have arisen. While this approach remains entrenched, all discussion is futile. You must tire of repeating yourself.

He's not talking about the design of the Ship, he's talking about the design of message boards, in general.

Yes there are some tweaks you can make. I participate in one message board for a computer game where people are able to give me a thumbs down to immediately indicate their disapproval of something I said without engaging in any way shape or form with what I said (seriously, in some cases it's mystifying). Yay.

But there's a limit to what you can do. Many is the time where I've [Roll Eyes] at people's attempts to treat message boards and blogs and live chats as interchangeable mediums, but they're not. In the same way that books and films and plays can all tell a story, but they use different methods, all of these communication tools at our disposal use different methods for communicating.

Facebook is first and foremost a method of broadcasting your own story. It's closer to a blog with an enhanced comments feature than a message board. Among the key differences of message board threads is that the person who starts the thread doesn't retain control and ownership of it, though many's the time I've seen someone act as if it's their personal property.

quote:
He's not talking about the design of the Ship, he's talking about the design of message boards, in general.

I would go further, I'm talking about the intent of discussion boards. Features like an uncommented 'like' or shared item simply don't contribute to discussion - and, I'm not sure they would have more than an occasional benefit to the parts of the Ship which are not aiming at serious discussion, even if we had the option for such features (this software doesn't) and could enable them on some boards but not others.

quote:
And that's it. The design of the Ship is set in stone. It is as it will be. The Adminisphere has spoken. Discussion only, no inclusivity. Dry and impersonal. That the Circus, or Heaven, or All Saints might benefit from some soft enhancements to make people more chummy is an overhead not to be considered. They're fine as they are.

Why should any of us expect it to be otherwise? Where anywhere does it say that the design or function of the boards is subject to democratic review? There are literally thousands of places to chew the fat on the internet. This one is this way. Others are different. Yawn.

Facebook suggestions for change disappear into the ether. Just saying. I've tried.

The biggest asset we have is the creativity and commitment of the participants of this board. No upgrade will take the place of that.

By commitment I mean- I show up on this board every damn day just to see what happens. I notice many others seem to do the same. Like Ms. Amanda says, my personal attacks of butthurtitis never seem to override my sense of belonging.

I feel the biggest asset the ship has is the tireless moderation of the boards. If those doing it all get tired, this site would quickly disappear in an ocean of trolls.

quote:
And that's it. The design of the Ship is set in stone. It is as it will be. The Adminisphere has spoken. Discussion only, no inclusivity. Dry and impersonal.

That's exactly what Dave Marshall used to say when people didn't agree with him. And that's all it means. Alan gave reasons, he didn't just say no. He disagrees in a rational way. Discussion is indeed futile if by futile you mean you personally can't get what you want.

To continue the reflective nostalgia, what about the eighth day? That appeared because of discussion. The editing time went up because of discussion. (And then back down again - remember that?).

Discussion doesn't seem to be futile, but non-persuasive discussion certainly is.

quote:
Facebook is first and foremost a method of broadcasting your own story.

No, Facebook is first and foremost a method of generating revenue from advertising.

My epiphany in this respect was when somebody pointed out that for any commercial undertaking that's free to the user, the user is the product.

Facebook facilitates interaction only to the extent that this interaction generates revenue. That is doubtless one of the reasons its content is so ephemeral.

I hate the way people willingly surrender all kinds of personal information and photos to be the property of (read their T&Cs) and curated by a private company whose first motive is inevitably a profit motive, so they can monetize your private life by selling its appeal to advertisers.

Clearly, in-depth online discussions are tangential to this process.

If that's not the spirit of Bablyon, I don't know what is.

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I feel the biggest asset the ship has is the tireless moderation of the boards. If those doing it all get tired, this site would quickly disappear in an ocean of trolls.

Deffo. Facebook, Twitter and newspaper pages are now rife with racist trolls. This place hasn't succumbed.

quote:
Facebook nesting isn't the equivalent of a thread on SOF. Facebook was not designed for long discussions or conversations. It has not really migrated very far from its Hot or Not origins.

Oh boy, did I get into trouble when I first started using FB, thinking it was similar to the Ship (with added kitten photos). I was soon put in my place, that my job was to be a 'like' zombie, not to actually voice any opinions!

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Facebook, Twitter and newspaper pages are now rife with racist trolls.

Not even Google+ is immune. I've stopped voicing my opinions there.

quote:
No, Facebook is first and foremost a method of generating revenue from advertising.

Exactly. This is one of the reasons I won't join. Mr. Zuckerberg will not be making any money from me (which I'm sure will send him to bankruptcy court!).

quote:

In depth has never been part of Facebook. Shallow and superficial is what its about.

quote:
The editing time went up because of discussion. (And then back down again - remember that?).

Ask Pyx_e about that. [Two face]

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

quote:
Oh boy, did I get into trouble when I first started using FB, thinking it was similar to the Ship (with added kitten photos). I was soon put in my place, that my job was to be a 'like' zombie, not to actually voice any opinions!

'Like Zombie' .... Like it [Big Grin] (sorry, couldn't resist it)

Glad me and my good lady held out and never got sucked into Farcebook or Twatter.

quote:
quote:

I got a telling off when a family member posted a meme that was anti-immigrant in the run-up to the referendum, and I responded with a 5 or 6 paragraph post pointing out the false statements in the image, and the fallacies of the argument presented. Then, a further telling off when I responded with a "if you don't want people to comment on controversial statements, why post them?"

I only joined FB because it is a convenient way just to keep in touch with people I know well in real life (family and close friends), especially when I was out in Japan. But, sometimes the temptation to post something substantial is irresistible.

I've never joined Twitter. I was on Facebook for about two weeks but couldn't stand the noise.

Noise =

"My puppy finally got paper trained."
"Yea! Way to go!"
"Wow! Congrats!"
"Luv it! Happy day!"

etc.

I've been on Bookface since early on in its public incarnation. Hated it immediately. It is a miserable place, full of shit. However, like many others, it is the default medium for staying in contact. So I have it ping me with emails when my Important People post things, and that's it.

Even that limited function is annoying, and stupidly inconsistent.

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
quote:
posted by Orfeo:

scz was definitely there. Wasn't Dafyd there too?

quote:
quote:

Sometimes I just go ahead and voice my opinions anyway. And yeah, it makes people uncomfortable...

But sometimes that's the goal. One of my white Christian male friends, who became a missionary to Italy and who only posts occasionally, managed to make almost all of his posts some variation on the theme of how tough it was to be 'persecuted'. I'd like to think I've played some part in his posts now being either genuinely personal stuff or about Christians who really ARE under threat of death rather than merely under threat of the law not reflecting their traditional view of marriage.

In other words, with certain friends I don't mind if one of their thoughts before posting is "shit, if I say that, orfeo is going to drop on me like a tonne of bricks".

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

In depth has never been part of Facebook. Shallow and superficial is what its about.
Ah! This explains your Facebook posting history.

Seriously, y'alls need to make more socialist intellectual friends or something who post more ponderous things. It's not quite as great/timesucking as twitter (where the philosophers hang out), but honestly, facebook is only as shallow as your friends.

Or it could just be that I've blocked or ignore all the boring people and facebook's figured out that I like really boring ponderous and pretentious bullshit.

And that's Twilight Sparkle gettin' barbecued over there. Yes, I was a minor fan of the franchise, back in the day—it was like Firefly, but with horses.

quote:
—it was like Firefly, but with horses.

You take that back, right now, you take that BACK!!!

quote:
Seriously, y'alls need to make more socialist intellectual friends or something who post more ponderous things. It's not quite as great/timesucking as twitter (where the philosophers hang out), but honestly, facebook is only as shallow as your friends.

Or it could just be that I've blocked or ignore all the boring people and facebook's figured out that I like really boring ponderous and pretentious bullshit.

And that's Twilight Sparkle gettin' barbecued over there. Yes, I was a minor fan of the franchise, back in the day—it was like Firefly, but with horses.

God, I love reading your posts, even though they gum up my brain too much for me to respond coherently.

And it is just as silly to expect FB to be like the Ship as it is to complain that the Ship doesn't have a "like" button. And common sense is a good thing-- if someone posts a controversial political cherry bomb ( as in Alan's example), they have opened the door to a political discussion, IMO. Same goes for me if I post a blistering rant against Trump. But if someone ( hypothetically) posts a shout out to two guys they know who are getting married, perhaps that's not the place to launch into a defense of DOMA, and if (again, hypothetically) I post an obituary of the old lady who owned the local donut shop, indicating I had been fond of her, don't be shocked if I am not in a frame of mind to field comments like, "It's too bad she spent so much of her life contributing to the American obesity epidemic." Not everything is a debate, some stuff are just attempts to connect with people who can connect with what you are posting.

quote:
quote:

You take that back, right now, you take that BACK!!!
Sometimes, you do what you can to get close to a season 2.

quote:
And that's Twilight Sparkle gettin' barbecued over there.

Shiny. I'm a Princess Luna / Nighmare Moon fan myself, but of course I am.

quote:
Firstly, Firefly had horses. Just not as the main characters. Which was Serenity. And Jane Motherfucking Cobb.

Firefly has interesting stories and Zoe, character development and Inara, solid cinematography and Kaylee, allusions to history, sociology and psychology and River.
My Little Pony has unicorns with the names of designer drugs aimed at toddlers.

quote:
quote:
quote:
posted by Orfeo:

I was.

quote:
Firefly has interesting stories and Zoe, character development and Inara, solid cinematography and Kaylee, allusions to history, sociology and psychology and River.
My Little Pony has unicorns with the names of designer drugs aimed at toddlers.

And this is based on watching how many Friendship is Magic episodes?
No, no, go on. Where would cultural snobbery be if we couldn't be dismissive of things we haven't read or watched?

[Disappointed] Oh Dafyd, I knew Our Little Philosopher was missing a few columns in his mental temple and Rook is obviously unhinged, but I'd thought you at least minimally sound of mind.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
posted by Orfeo:

I was.
So, you and scz were physically present in the same room, eating and drinking and joining in the conversation for an entire evening. And, your presence went totally unremembered.

And people who don't get a 'like' for every little thought they post think they have problems and are being ignored [Roll Eyes]

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
posted by Orfeo:

I was.
So, you and scz were physically present in the same room, eating and drinking and joining in the conversation for an entire evening. And, your presence went totally unremembered.
Or, you know, sometimes exaggerating produces entertaining results.

Also, it wasn't an evening. You just made that shit up.

[ 11. January 2017, 11:33: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:

I wasn't there, and so faced with the option of was it a lunch and afternoon meet or a dinner and evening meet I tossed a mental coin, and got it wrong. So, yes I made it up.

Though, maybe I was there and the stimulating company and conversation was such that I've totally forgotten the whole experience.

On the subject of meets in Scotland and Shipmates of yore, I do remember the time IngoB came to visit. That was a dinner and evening, the last we saw of him was being led down a dark alley by scz and chive to sample the delights of the Edinburgh nightlife. He looked back with a "help, what have I let myself in for?" look on his face. I think he feared spending the next few hours trapped in a discussion of Scottish Presbyterianism and the latest issues in the Church of Scotland. He may have been right.

quote:
unicorns . . . designer drugs aimed at toddlers.

So basically my two favorite things?

quote:
quote:

The first step in solving a problem is admitting you have one. Take the next one and find help.
Though, if you are serious about philosophy, perhaps you shouldn't.

quote:
quote:

Let's not dwell too long on all the myriad of things you don't realize.
Mental health professionals tend not to be evasive nor condescending.

Posted by IntellectByProxy (# 3185) on :

This has brought a tear to my eye. If KenWrites manages to possess someone and pop by I may just sob uncontrollably.

Posted by ThunderBunk (# 15579) on :

quote:
quote:

I wasn't there, and so faced with the option of was it a lunch and afternoon meet or a dinner and evening meet I tossed a mental coin, and got it wrong. So, yes I made it up.
Shock and very much horror. The Ship has entered the post-truth era. Abandon ontological certainty all ye who enter here.

quote:

Oh, look: yet another thing that you're just plain old totally fucking wrong about. Astonishingly, it turns out that mental health professionals are also humans.

He's a personal dare to you: make one declarative statement that isn't idiotically wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
If KenWrites manages to possess someone and pop by I may just sob uncontrollably.

This tempted me to log in as KenWritez, just to harvest your tears.

quote:

On the other hand, you manage both superlatively.

quote:
I've been on Bookface since early on in its public incarnation. Hated it immediately. It is a miserable place, full of shit. However, like many others, it is the default medium for staying in contact. So I have it ping me with emails when my Important People post things, and that's it.

Even that limited function is annoying, and stupidly inconsistent.

I found out, by accident, that changing the more ephemera-loving 'friends' to 'acquaintances' on FB made most of the monotonous links disappear. Then you get real news from real friends and a lot less junk.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:

And people who don't get a 'like' for every little thought they post think they have problems and are being ignored [Roll Eyes]

Just post pictures of your beautiful orchids. Blessed Thoughts™ not necessary. [Cool]

running back to Heaven...

quote:
quote:
quote:

The first step in solving a problem is admitting you have one. Take the next one and find help.
Though, if you are serious about philosophy, perhaps you shouldn't.

Why be realistic?
Don't wake me from my dream.
I was individualistic
They kicked me off the team

—They Might Be Giants, on my time in philosophy grad school

quote:

Which explains why I've met so few whose smug fucking faces couldn't be improved by a good fist to the "I don't know, why don't you tell me more?"-hole

quote:
Why be realistic?
Don't wake me from my dream.
I was individualistic
They kicked me off the team

—They Might Be Giants, on my time in philosophy grad school

Oh, then, it shall be songs?
En guarde!

I've seen all your eyes
And I've seen all your faces
Can you tell me honestly
that you want to be free?
Blind Melon

[ 12. January 2017, 01:50: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

quote:
En guarde!

*garde

quote:
I found out, by accident, that changing the more ephemera-loving 'friends' to 'acquaintances' on FB made most of the monotonous links disappear. Then you get real news from real friends and a lot less junk.

That is quite possibly true - but that doesn't solve all the problems, does it. The whole fucking interface is inconsistent assholery. Things aren't listed chonologically, and if there's an option it's not readily apparent. Not to mention the whole shifting realms of access and settings. I swear I have to update the notification settings quarterly to insist that I don't get drowned in bullshit. Actually trying to find anything is a mess, clearly designed to distract and keep you poking around as long as possible.

Fuck that shit.

quote:
clearly designed to distract and keep you poking around as long as possible.

You've described the internet to a tee.

quote:
quote:
En guarde!

*garde
Taking the French side, are we, Mr. Fancy Pantaloony?

quote:
quote:
quote:
En guarde!

*garde
Taking the French side, are we, Mr. Fancy Pantaloony?
Why is it always about "sides" with you? Never about backs or fronts.

Remember, in sabre fencing, the entire body is a target.

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
The Ship has entered the post-truth era. Abandon ontological certainty all ye who enter here.

That's hardly news. Did you not know that everyone else apart from you on here is a sockpuppet of the one other actual poster?

(just quietly fuelling your paranoia)

Every one is a sock puppet of the previous poster. It's one big Quizmaster game that never died.

quote:
Remember, in sabre fencing, the entire body is a target.

IIRC, the joy of sabre fencing is that in order to get a hit you have to be in a position that allows your opponent to hit you.

A bit like Hell really.

Mornington Crescent.

You see? It's another bloody Circus thread.

Um, yes, that was exactly the comment I was making. Only, you know, I was subtle about it instead of just blurting it out.

Are you implying I have no impulse control? Because if you are

you'd be pretty much on the money.

SQUIRREL!!

WHERE?

quote:
You see? It's another bloody Circus thread.

Mt and KA are plotting to poke me all about with sharp bits of metal and you think it is a game. [Disappointed]

Every one is a sock puppet of the previous poster. It's one big Quizmaster game that never died.

<ETA- sorry, not sure why this posted twice>

[ 12. January 2017, 18:56: Message edited by: Patdys ]

quote:

<ETA- sorry, not sure why this posted twice>

You did it a purpose to imply that I was your sock puppet.
Sir, remove your hand.

quote:
Actually trying to find anything is a mess, clearly designed to distract and keep you poking around as long as possible.

And the more you poke around, the more rubbish they send you. A real ship of fools if ever there was one.

[ 12. January 2017, 22:08: Message edited by: Chorister ]

Posted by deano (# 12063) on :

quote:
But I bet Deano voted Trump.

No I didn't formany reasons, but the main one because I'm English you thick bell-end.

Littlebugger, why don't you go and count your chromosomes because I'm not convinced you would pass an audit.

And just because some of you need reminding from time to time...

Nuclear weapons, Brexit, The Conservative Party, home-ownership, setting up pro-western governments in foreign parts, cheap shares from privatising things, immigration caps and being nasty to the French. These are all excellent.

Just saying.

Oh, look who sobered up enough to use the keyboard!

But, not sober enough to make sense.

Posted by deano (# 12063) on :

quote:
But, not sober enough to make sense.

A la the OP. What is the yank equivalent of Spar own brand?

As I said, not sober enough to make any sense.

Do 7-11 do their own brand alcohol in the States? I know they do in Japan. Not that deano needs any more cheap booze to rot what's left of his brain.

quote:
Oh, look who sobered up enough to use the keyboard!

And a whole lot of monkeys short of making any sense.

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
quote:
But I bet Deano voted Trump.

No I didn't formany reasons, but the main one because I'm English you thick bell-end.
Honestly, I meant to type "ThomasDF" but somehow the name of a different asshole puttered out of my typing fingers. [shrug] I'm getting old and losing track of all the assholes. Apologies for mixing you up with someone even stupider.

quote:
Apologies for mixing you up with someone even stupider.

Hang on a minute, are you certain? I don't know ThomasDF, so cannot be absolutely sure, but that is a massive claim.
Someone that stupid would need help breathing, much less posting.

quote:
Do 7-11 do their own brand alcohol in the States?

See here.

quote:
As I said, not sober enough to make any sense.

Do 7-11 do their own brand alcohol in the States? I know they do in Japan. Not that deano needs any more cheap booze to rot what's left of his brain.

I don't think 7-11 does alcohol brands. The legal issues on state and federal control of alcohol and chain franchise groups makes it very complicated to do so. It's easier to have a captive independent brand.

But Deano is England's pride and joy. You broke him, you bought him.

ThomasDF gave every indication of posting while sober. Stupid, but sober.

quote:
Mornington Crescent.

FUCK.

NO

Given the Siren song of this thread, it would be lovely to hear that Tortuf is alive and thriving.

Aye! A Tortuf sighting would be a grand thing. I should poke him in an extra-Shippular medium. And JimT. And Scot. And Madgeo.

Comparing the relative cognitive power of ThomasDF and deano has one clear objective measure - one is at least smart enough to abide by the rules just enough to avoid being fed to the sharks, and one was not.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

quote:

Comparing the relative cognitive power of ThomasDF and deano has one clear objective measure - one is at least smart enough to abide by the rules just enough to avoid being fed to the sharks, and one was not.

I thought you just may have decided to cut the sharks a break. I mean what have they ever done to warrant such a cruel and unusual punishment?

OUCH. A burn down under.

quote:
OUCH. A burn down under.

That is what you get for sunbathing naked

Perhaps, but my usual experience of sunbathing naked is that my thick fur pelt prevents too much issue thereabouts. Or was this just you fantasizing out loud?

Not even close. No offence intended, I'm sure you are ever so wonderful a specimen of manliness, what with a pony shaved into your pelt, but no.

quote:
He's a personal dare to you: make one declarative statement that isn't idiotically wrong.

Here are five:

On 07 January, 2017 at 20:07 you implied that someone has antisocial Personality Disorder and that it doesn't change much.

In the past, antisocial personality disorder was thought to be a lifelong disorder, but that's not always the case

In the past, antisocial personality disorder was thought to be a lifelong disorder, but that's not always the case

The person you were talking about has not been convicted of any criminal offence and was barely aged 18 when you had dealings with him.

Your profile does not say that you are medically qualified to make such a diagnosis.

Well, actually, that's only 4 because one of them is repeated. That you didn't bother to check in Preview Post probably counts as 'idiotically wrong'.

quote:
Here are five:

That's some dubious counting, even for an idiot.

quote:
you implied that someone has antisocial Personality Disorder and that it doesn't change much.
And your reaction suggests that you disagree. You went through all the trouble to look it up, saw that he meets most of the markers, and cling to the unproven aspects. That's kind of idiotic.

quote:

Well... at least you've learned how to attribute things others have written. Perhaps as you grow you'll learn to actually understand things other people write. For example, the clear semantic similarity between "mostly" and "not always". Idiot.

quote:
The person you were talking about has not been convicted of any criminal offence and was barely aged 18 when you had dealings with him.
1) Not convicted of a crime - that you know of. Meanwhile, Dr. Robert Hare does a pretty good job of explaining how many high-functioning psychopaths never actually get convicted of crimes. Despite all that, the causality of criminal systems make this marker highly -erm, suspect and subjective.
2) How old was the fuckwit in 2014 when I most recently had dealings with him, as I mentioned above? Idiot.

quote:
Your profile does not say that you are medically qualified to make such a diagnosis.
This one is only meta-idiotic, so I'll give it to you. Congratulations on having achieved a higher state of idiocy. Your inability to perceive facts suits the modern political era perfectly.

quote:
Well, actually, that's only 4

One might argue that "here are five" is one of the five. In an idiotic sort of way.

quote:
The person you were talking about has not been convicted of any criminal offence

Do you seriously believe that the only way to show a personality disorder is to be convicted of a criminal offence?

quote:
quote:
The person you were talking about has not been convicted of any criminal offence

Do you seriously believe that the only way to show a personality disorder is to be convicted of a criminal offence?
I understood that the generally accepted criteria for measuring certain personality disorders agreed that criminal behaviour was NOT necessary for psycopathy to be diagnosed. Eg, someone can score high on the psychopathic scale - disassociation, lack of empathy, inability to 'read' others etc; and yet remain relatively harmless. I suppose that's not to say that there may be a greater potential for harm present.

quote:

In fairness, the DSM does specifically list ciminality as a marker for antisocial personality disorder. But it is couched in terms of disregard for normal prosocial boundaries, which are often codified as laws. Like, you know, things a community might refer to as Commandments. For example.

Gosh, now that I spell it out like that to myself, I see how very perceptive I am.

But if it's like most DSM definitions it's "7 of these 10" -- so no single one of them, usually, is sine qua non.

So, there was this study, part of which viewed brain-scans which were anonymous to the viewer. One of the doctors saw a scan who's patterns were indicative of a sociopath. He immediately spoke to his colleagues, urging that the person be notified/found as they could be a danger to others. As it happens, the scan was his. His friends, colleagues and perfectly normal family agreed he fit many of the patterns of a sociopath.
Whilst there is debate as to whether ASPD is a related, but separate, disorder, it does demonstrate that psychology rarely holds absolutes.
For sociopathy, it is though for some that childhood is a determinant of the outcome.

Which is not how diagnosis is done in mental health. The DSM is both a manual which tries to systemize symptoms and characteristics, and it is also a list of billing codes designed to correspond to the ICD (international classification of diseases). Which is why it contains things like PMS, which called "Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder", and . Personality disorder diagnosis requires a lot more care. Hare's psychopathy conception isn't the same as anti-social personality disorder. Psychopathy is empirically derived, and anti-social is clinically derived.

And it is political, with diagnostic thresholds generally lower for everything, except for some diagnoses like PTSD where the pharmaceutical companies have a lot less to gain, and organizations like those which server military veterans have a lot to lose in expenses.

quote:
Which is not how diagnosis is done in mental health.

Did not say a diagnosis was made, just observations.

quote:

Hare's psychopathy conception isn't the same as anti-social personality disorder.

His maybe not, others maybe so.
quote:
Psychopathy is empirically derived, and anti-social is clinically derived.

Very little in psychology is empirically derived.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

AIUI some psychopaths are shrewd enough to recognize that certain behaviors will get them into serious trouble, so they refrain from these behaviors.

They have no conscience, but they value their own skin.

Moo

quote:
quote:
If KenWrites manages to possess someone and pop by I may just sob uncontrollably.

This tempted me to log in as KenWritez, just to harvest your tears.
I understand the tears of virgins have some magical renown.

quote:

Do they do something interesting if I mix them with yours?

quote:
quote:

The difference being?

Unless masturbation counts as sexual experience, there are likely a lot more virgins here than will admit.

quote:
quote:

Honestly, that's never come up. Ironic, really.

Posted by Luke (# 306) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Myrrh got planked. I kind of miss her, lunatic links and all. ... Gordon Cheng ...

Yeah I miss Myrrh.

But I was sad to see Gordon Cheng planked and I miss nurks.

I'm sad, too: sad in the way that I'm sad that smallpox is now confined to a couple of hopefully well-guarded fridges.

If you can't cope with the extraordinary latitude granted by the 10Cs, you're a dick, and you deserve everything that's coming to you.

© Ship of Fools 2016