Thread: Barcelona Board: Hell / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005703

Posted by mr cheesy (# 3330) on :

Fuck.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I have friends staying there, who are nervous. They report that the streets where they are staying are busy but not panicked.

They have retreated to their hotel reoom for the night.

Prayers for all there.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

I have friends there too. They are safe, fortunately.

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

A city I've always wanted to visit. May try and make my next trip pass through there.

And I can't even fathom what causes someone to lose all sense of humanity and plough a vehicle into people. Then again, Charloteville has shown there are some fuckwits out there who are filled with hate; but I tear up and shudder at the thought of any vehicle hitting pedestrians, let alone on purpose.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Morgoth the Second's reaction seems to be advocating the execution of (presumably Muslim)terrorists with bullets soaked in pig's blood...yet another item of gear for the police and neo-Nazi militia to lug around....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40969475

[Confused]

IJ

Indeed. Odd, very odd.

And a second attack too...another dead.

And, whilst events unfold in Spain, a knife attack (remember London?) takes place in Finland:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40978446

No news yet as to motive etc., of course, but it does seem as though some form of Midsummer Madness is afoot.

[Paranoid]

BTW, UK Shipmates may recall that tomorrow sees the 30th anniversary of the Hungerford Massacre - not a political act, but a reminder that random deeds of murder and violence are nothing new.

IJ

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Morgoth the Second's reaction seems to be advocating the execution of (presumably Muslim)terrorists with bullets soaked in pig's blood...yet another item of gear for the police and neo-Nazi militia to lug around....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40969475

[Confused]

IJ

He is still pushing the utterly debunked idea. It is a ridiculous idea, and totally irrelevant. LIke Muslims are more concerned about pigs bloog covered bullets than normal bullets.

Well, his grip on reality does seem rather loose...

IJ

Posted by keibat (# 5287) on :

Bishop's Finger wrote:
quote:
And, whilst events unfold in Spain, a knife attack (remember London?) takes place in Finland:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40978446

No news yet as to motive etc., of course, but it does seem as though some form of Midsummer Madness is afoot.

Turku is my 'other home town'. I watched the police press conference and have watched / listen to / read all the eye-witness accounts I could find. We will probably know more tomorrow, but my own guess is a mentally unstable guy – the modus operandi (random knife stabs at strangers, ?mainly vulnerable women?) sounds more like that than the deliberate massacre mode of Westminster, Southward Borough Market, or Las Ramblas. And the authorities have now said they are not treating this as a probably terrorist incident. Not all evil is jihadist, or systematic.

Yes, the perpetrator appears to be an immigrant, but – take note! – eye-witness report a bunch of other immigrants chasing after him to try to stop him.

Also - take note! – when the Finnish police used their guns, they wounded him in the thigh, not killed him.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

The policy of shoot to kill is controversial.
It does appear to be what these individuals want, otherwise why the fake bomb vests? However the day the security forces drop this policy is probably the day before real vests are worn.

quote:
Originally posted by keibat:
Also - take note! – when the Finnish police used their guns, they wounded him in the thigh, not killed him.

He also wasn't wearing a suicide vest - real or fake. I'm not sure the police should take chances when the threat of a bomb is real.

Finland attack a terror attack.

Not hellish, but continued thoughts for those in Barcelona and Turku.

And, as further proof of the world going bonkers, another knife attack, this time in Russia:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40985561

IS claim it as theirs, but one wonders if this, and the attack in Turku, are 'copycats' which IS just like to latch on to.

[Mad]

IJ

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

I don't agree the world is going bonkers when a very few people do very bad things while most people don't. We mustn't let bad news swamp the normal decency and kindness most people around the world display.

On the B attack, in the days leading up, news had the antitourist backlash for Barcelona, Venice and a few other places. My first thought was that the attack was about that.

Well, point taken - but it seems as though there's a fresh outrage almost every day now. I agree that often the outrage brings out the best in other people, praise God that it is so.

But if someone like trump can be elected president of a country of the stature of the USA, then bonkers is not far off the mark...YMMV.

IJ

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Point taken BF. I think the core issues are pain, hurt, woundedness and sorrow. To get to the point that you think killing random strangers is a good idea signifies great great suffering. People mustn't feel so alienated that they crash or stab people. But they do. Are we all in bondage in a fresh Babylon? How much did we ignore to not know we were journeying there?

[ 19. August 2017, 18:20: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

I'm very sad that the Turku attack is now thought by the Finnish police to have been probably terrorist in character – as we've seen, they aren't trigger-happy or otherwise knee-jerk in their responses, so they presumably have some fairly solid reason for doing so (unless they've simply been ordered to do so by the Ministry, or Minister, for the Interior).

So far I am aware of one anti-immigrant reprisal: a guy who smashed a pizzeria's windows with a bike rack. He's been arrested.

No tinc por. Emme pelkää. We are not = will not be afraid.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
LIke Muslims are more concerned about pigs bloog covered bullets than normal bullets.

If you're dead, you're dead. These racists (like our pig president) think that kosher or halal eating is some kind of magic, rather than a form of discipline. Probably because their own life lacks any external discipline, and runs entirely on self-will.

And the King and Queen of Spain are attending the service for the attacks.

That is how to be a leader. Take note Trump.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

How fragile we are. Take ordinary young men who are helplessly, fecklessly, innocently alienated and turn them in to saints who see others as demons and get to march in Nazi garb, oh and drive in to infidel children.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
And the King and Queen of Spain are attending the service for the attacks.

That is how to be a leader. Take note Trump.

Except Heather's mom doesn't want anything to do with him. So that bit is just as well.

Re the Turku incident: I was massively wrong in my (always speculative) evaluation.

The main perpetrator (OK: 'suspect') not only had been arousing concern about his radicalism in the asylum-seekers' hostel where he was living, but also, it now emerges, had been living previously in Germany, using multiple aliases; and both he and one of the other Moroccans now remanded in custody have outstanding criminal charges against them in Germany.

It remains unclear why he so markedly targeted vulnerable women, and what triggered the incident just now. I wonder about a copycat-like trigger from the Moroccan aspect in the attacks in Catalunya - tho' he used a knife, not a vehicle.

And let us not completely lose sight of the perspective that the numbers killed on our roads, dying from atmospheric pollution, etc, – not to mention the impacts of climate change in Africa and Asia - are on a totally different scale of magnitude,

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

Is it wrong of me to be somewhat satisfied that the leader of the bunch of murderous little shits in Spain was blown up by his own bomb?

Nope. Pity they weren't all there.

[ 23. August 2017, 19:45: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

And God bless Felipe VI of Spain. There is NOTHING as good as a constitutional monarchy of a footballing nation. In the absence of cricket and rugby.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Is it wrong of me to be somewhat satisfied that the leader of the bunch of murderous little shits in Spain was blown up by his own bomb?

That probably means that he does noy get the 110 virgins gently caressing his now demolished parts.

[ 27. August 2017, 09:12: Message edited by: Gee D ]

© Ship of Fools 2016