Thread: General goodbyes and RIPs Board: All Saints / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006225

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

2016 was pretty toxic, public grief-wise. I figure we should just have a rolling thread of sorrow in 2017 (though not precluding individual threads too). So here, sadly we go ...

Farewell Peter Sarstedt and thanks for the poignant memories. [Tear]

[ 09. January 2017, 00:39: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

It occurred to me when I heard of his death that for our generation (I'm in my mid-50s) many of the people whose music/acting/comedy/whatever*) punctuated our youth are now reaching the, shall we say, latter part of their lives.

It's rather depressing from any perspective - it kind of brings home one's own mortality.

* delete as appropriate

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

Can one say RIP to a friendship? I've had a massive bust-up with the person who was my best friend and now it seems unlikely we'll ever speak again.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Can one say RIP to a friendship? I've had a massive bust-up with the person who was my best friend and now it seems unlikely we'll ever speak again.

Oh, golly, that happened to me too a couple of weeks ago. We were talking on the telephone, he took offense at something I said and hung up on me, and we haven't spoken since. I have a feeling we never will again.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

And it's possible to have a friendship divorce, too--including ones that are so nasty that they do about as much damage as a nasty marital divorce. (YMMV, of course.)

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

I wonder if this is the place for that. While I agree that a thread talking about long term break ups and personal bereavement may well be a good idea I think Zappa was trying to start a thread in Heaven for the public people we want to commemorate rather than having lots of short threads with just a few people posting.

If the later is the case it really needs to be tagged to the top otherwise it will keep sinking and disappearing.

Jengie

Posted by Beenster (# 242) on :

I'm another dipping in with the loss of a friendship. i feel so guilty as she carries the greatest of tragedies but we grew so terribly apart. I can only hope she is better off without me. The friendship had grown toxic, co-dependent or something and whilst there is no blame involved, I just hope we both grow - indeed i hope all of us who are sad from the parting of the ways of friends will grow.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Jengie, we are considering a separate thread for friendships etc because we can see the grief when they break down.

However, please no more junior hosting like the end of your post . Thank you.

Lothlorien. AS Host

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

I know he died in 2016, but I keep returning to Leonard Cohen. Everybody knows (youtube, worth it.

quote:
Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died

My father's one eye sees cloudy so he doesn't read, he's so, so unsteady on his feet
he talks of Berlin in 1938 and Singapore in '42, and I think of taking him home and putting him in bed,
but and everybody else says "put him in a home instead"

Gentle Hostly Oink

The intention of this thread (as understood by the Hosts) was for (mostly) short tributes to (mostly) celebrities who have died, to avoid cluttering up the board with individual RIP threads.

It took a bit of a detour into the ending of friendships and relationships, and after some discussion Upstairs, it was decided that a dedicated thread for such discussions would maybe be a better idea.

Thank you.

Piglet, AS host

As she doesn't really qualify for the Celebrity Death Pool, being (a) under 18 years old; and (b) a dog, I'd like to post a little tribute to Top Gear Dog, who graced our television screens for one of the series of Top Gear and died earlier this week.

RIP, TG. [Votive]

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

I started a thread, which has had only one response, but I feel that the woman deserves acknowledgement. Frances Carr, age 89, of Sabbathday Lake, Maine. She was one of the last three Shakers. As I said in the thread, we are witnessing the death of a language with which to speak to the divine. Her passing has occasioned great sadness for me.

She is in the valley of love and delight.

And, may we all, be turned 'round right.

Farewell to Gordon Kaye. Rene Artois from 'Allo, 'allo. has died.

My family still has their favourite quotes from this and bring them out when appropriate. The show gave us much enjoyment and laughter.

[ 23. January 2017, 21:19: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

You have been watching...

[Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
I started a thread, which has had only one response, but I feel that the woman deserves acknowledgement. Frances Carr, age 89, of Sabbathday Lake, Maine. She was one of the last three Shakers. As I said in the thread, we are witnessing the death of a language with which to speak to the divine. Her passing has occasioned great sadness for me.

She is in the valley of love and delight.

And, may we all, be turned 'round right.

I saw that at the time and felt a strange sense of the loss of a dream ... perhaps a reminder to us all

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

Word is coming in that Mary Tyler Moore has died. I have very strong memories of my family sitting down to watch "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"--I always looked forward to the hat toss at the end of the opening titles. I also have very strong memories of the final show of the series. While a number of shows have done special "final episodes" to end their runs, MTM's finale was certainly one of the best. "It's a long way to Tipperary. It's a long way to go..." [Tear]

Posted by neandergirl (# 8916) on :

I have similar memories and when I visited Minneapolis for work, made sure I did the beret toss and had my picture taken at the statue. So very sad to read of her passing.

Re Shakers:

Sorry to hear of her death. IIRC, that's the community that has taken in new Shakers--craftsmen, I think. I'm not sure how much of the rule they're following.

Here in NZ and OZ too to a lesser extent we are gutted by the loss of Murray Ball, creator of Footrot Flats. He has through his pen captured the heart 0of so much of kiwidom. One of our greatest national treasures: go well, in that paddock in the sky [Tear]

His drawings capture so much without needing many words. Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease for both families and patients.

Posted by Tukai (# 12960) on :

And a fond farewell to that old wild rocker Chuck Berry. What surprised me in the various obits was that despite his multiple brushes with the law in his younger days, his wife had stuck with him (and he with her) for over 60 years. So they must have been doing something right in the eyes of God, even if not in the eyes of "mainstream" WASP preachers of the 1950s.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Another sad loss - though he was 86 - with the death of Colin Dexter, creator of Inspector Morse, that most cerebral of English detectives.

I've read the books, and seen the TV adaptations, and once, just once, I spotted the villain before Morse did..... [Eek!]

Morse, and Dexter, would, of course, have approved of my regular use of the Oxford comma...

IJ

Oh no! [Votive]

Betty Kennedy, who was on CBC's Front Page Challenge from 1962 to 1995 when it ended, died at 91. She was also appointed a senator later.

My Grandfather thought very highly of her - and watched faithfully during his lifetime.

John Noakes has died. He was one of my Blue Peter presenters.

Jengie

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Remember John Noakes joining the Valerie and Chris. He was like the new kid on the block and would get volunteered for all the daredevil stuff.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

/tangent

Was it Christopher Trace who first gave us "And now for something completely different"?

tangent/

You mean it wasn't Monty Python??? [Confused]

Posted by Latchkey Kid (# 12444) on :

Just rectifying the omission of John Clarke of fame from Fred Dagg to Clarke and Dawes who died in early April.

Oh yes, indeed [Tear]

Farewell to Peter Sallis, 'Clegg' in Last of the Summer Wine, and the voice of Wallace in Wallace and Gromit, who has died at the great age of 96.

[Votive]

RIPARIG.

IJ

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Sam Panopoulos, who invented the Hawaiian pizza, has died aged 83.

Here is the obituary from the BBC.

Posted by Dark Knight (# 9415) on :

Chris Cornell died weeks ago, and I still can't come to terms with it.
Probably not a coincidence that my second cousin died years before her time around the same time. Rest in Peace, Debbie. [Votive]

RIP Helmut Kohl, at the age of 87, former German Chancellor, and architect of German reunification.

Also RIP +Geoffrey Rowell, formerly of the C of E's Diocese of Europe, a good friend of Our Place's sacristan.

Kohl and Rowell, in different ways, could be classed as 'great Europeans'.

IJ

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Adam West, the original TV Batman.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

Here is an exceptionally cool commemoration of Adam West.

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Adam West, the original TV Batman.

Check the Circus Celebrity Death Pool.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Otto Warmbier, the American just released from a North Korean prison, has died. His parents say he seemed to know he was home and was at peace.

[Votive]

Farewell, too, to another author:

Michael Bond, the creator of beloved children's character Paddington Bear, has died at the age of 91.

A shame he never seems to have received an award for Services to Marmalade....

IJ

Many years ago I was 21 years old, had just finished college, and had no job prospects. The only serious boyfriend I had ever had had just dumped me. Life was pretty bleak. I couldn't concentrate on any serious reading (I couldn't afford a television). I discovered Paddington Bear in a book shop. He and P.G. Wodehouse got me through those rough times.

Thank you, Mr. Bond.
[Overused]

Rest in peace.
[Votive]

[Tear]

RIP. As I said on the Circus thread, he created a very lovable little bear. [Tear]

I have been wondering how to post this for a day or so since the death of a beloved indigenous brother strongly connected to music.. It is the custom not to refer to those deceased by name, nor to post images or sound. Some TV programs here have warnings at the beginning so as not to give offence.

Today I saw elsewhere that the custom is to refer to such as Yaku-miriw, that is without name, so travel well.

He had an honorary doctorate bestowed on hiim for his music. Blind from birth, he brought pleasure to many and raised the understanding of many of us of indigeneous issues. Gone too young from causes which would have been avoided or treated properly had he been born in a major city.

Travel well.

If others wish to comment on his death, please do not mention his name.

Thank you.

Lothlorien, AS Host.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Loth, just a question - is referring to someone by name after death not allowed at all or is it just the recently dead?

Huia

Huia, I think it must be for all time as programs mention it at start and the people are gone years before. I thought most people knew of it here, but I see his name in print etc.

I will ask someone in family with Masters degree in Indigenous Social Poliices. Perhaps more accurate than my knowledge.

Edited to add: It seems that offence is given by naming not only to the deceased but also to living .

[ 28. July 2017, 00:36: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
RIP. As I said on the Circus thread, he created a very lovable little bear. [Tear]

I don't know how many of you saw the gorgeous little cartoon in "Private Eye" which shows Michael Bond standing at the pearly gates, hand in hand with Paddington who is saying to St. Peter, "Please look after this author". (I tried to post a link but it didn't work).

In the latest issue, a Vicar has written a letter stating that in the best theological circles, it is well-known that marmalade is served in heaven.

It must surely be Wilkin's "Tawny" which surpasses all others (eat your heart out, Oxford and Dundee!)

[ 28. July 2017, 07:18: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Thanks Lothlorien, I know nothing about indigenous Australian culture. I would really hate to do/say something disrespectful through ignorance.

Huia

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

I had no idea and this kind of reminder is helpful on an international forum.Thanks, Lothlorien. His music is extraordinary, so melodic and haunting.

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Huia, I think it must be for all time as programs mention it at start and the people are gone years before. I thought most people knew of it here, but I see his name in print etc.

I will ask someone in family with Masters degree in Indigenous Social Poliices. Perhaps more accurate than my knowledge.

Edited to add: It seems that offence is given by naming not only to the deceased but also to living .

This interview addresses the question of how to avoid cultural errors in referring to Yaku-miriw the musician, and also the circumstances that have taken him from sight.

"Long grass" is a reference to living rough, literally sometimes amongst the long grass (often two metres high*) of the Territory. All else is self-explanatory I think.

* I have a photo or two of my 4WD dwarfed by the stuff.

Thank you for that.

That was incredibly moving - thanks Zappa.

[Votive] for the family and friends,

Huia

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

I have encountered the music of the musician, known for playing the guitar upside down, on a number of occasions. He sung in his native language, which I do not speak, but his tone carried such depth and emotion that it didn't seem to matter.

May his memory endure. [Votive]

Posted by Ethne Alba (# 5804) on :

Zappa thanks, i had no idea....( about so much)

Betty Cuthbert, the Olympic athlete, has died at 79. Basicaslly untrained for years, she won four gold medals but had suffered for years from multiple sclerosis. At Sydney Olymocs in 2000, she was pushed onto the arena in a wheelchair carrying the torch by Raelene Boyle, another Aussie athlete, a cancer survivor.

[ 06. August 2017, 23:44: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Robert Hardy for me Seigfried from All Creatures Great and Small. Your mileage may well vary given his roles

Jengie

Barbara Cook, the Broadway soprano, is gone. She originated the role of Marian the Librarian.

Posted by Joan Rasch (# 49) on :

Remember before God,

Richard III, King of England

and of those who fell on Bosworth Field,

having kept faith, 22 August, 1485.

Loyaulte me lie.

I do hope Richard III is finally at peace now that he has been suitably put to rest.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

God speed, Brian Aldiss, who I never got to meet, written by Chris Priest, who I have.

I meant to post this the other day, but the archetypal 1960s kiwi male had headed off for a beer with the boys in the sky

For those of us who have some interest in biblical studies.

Bruce Malina (1933-2017) has died, a scholar who introduced Mediterranean cultural anthropology into NT studies. I've only read his The New Testament World: Insights from Cultural Anthropology and I'm sure others would be better placed to comment on his work.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Oh drat. [Waterworks]

Jerry Lewis, the rubber faced hilarious comedian. Loved him as a kid.

In the name of the Father and the Son, and into the Hole He Goes!

Ha yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk. Heaven gets a laugh for sure

Posted by Eigon (# 4917) on :

I put a display of Brian Aldiss books on the counter of the bookshop where I work (we call it the Desth Spot, because we display books by or about anyone who's just died there) - only to be asked; "Is he a local author?"
"No, he's just died. I was lucky enough to see him at the London World SF Con."
"Oh - does he write science fiction then?"
Sigh.

Oh dear, that's sad.
A quite noted British SF critic was asked by Nature magazine if he would write an appreciation of Aldiss. He was up for it, until he learned that Nature was expecting him to do it gratis.

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Joan Rasch:
Remember before God,

Richard III, King of England

and of those who fell on Bosworth Field,

having kept faith, 22 August, 1485.

Loyaulte me lie.

I thank you. To my shame I forgot (see my avatar)

Just saw that the controversial radical feminist writer and activist Kate Millett (Sexual Politics, Flying, Sita, The Looney Bin Trip) has died at the age of 82. One of those who helped define second-wave feminism.

He may not have been much known outside musical circles, but the composer Derek Bourgeois, who wrote the incidental music to the television series The Barchester Chronicles, and was D's composition tutor when he was at Bristol in the 1970s, has died aged 75.

May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

Stanislov Petrov, who may well have saved the world from nuclear war, died in May, aged 77:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41314948

RIPARIG.

One can only hope and pray that such men of sense still exist...

IJ

Absolutely, BF - it looks as if the world could really do with someone like him at the moment. [Eek!]

Singer David Cassidy has died.

May he and all who care for him find peace, light, and comfort.

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Rodney Bewes: I loved and love The Likely Lads and Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads.

Shame he and James Bolam fell out.

M.

Indeed. RIP. [Votive]

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Whatever happened to the Likely Lads hit the spot in the 70s
'Bob and Thelma' were the future.

Rest in Peace RB [Votive]

Posted by sharkshooter (# 1589) on :

Jim Nabors has died.

I grew up watching Gomer Pyle. Still love listening to my Jim Nabors Christmas Album.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
Jim Nabors has died.

I grew up watching Gomer Pyle. Still love listening to my Jim Nabors Christmas Album.

Also the source of a stupid yet hilarious joke from “The Simpsons:

quote:
Marge: I before E, except after C
Lisa: Except when pronounced as an “ay” as in neighbor or weigh
Marge: Really? But what about in the sentence “Jim Nabors is way cool”?
Lisa: How often is that going to come up?
Marge, holding Gomer Pyle apron: “It’s on my apron!”

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Sol Bellear, a great advocate for both the rights of indigenous people, and for the provision to them of proper facilities to allow them to exercise those rights, has died. He's to receive a State Funeral, to be held in Redfern Park tomorrow at 11.

Jenny Joseph who is famous for her poem Warning has departed this life.

One of those people who has in part formed my intentions of how to behave when I am old. I come from a longlived line of stubborn people and I suspect I will only get more so as I get older.

Jengie

Sue Grafton, author of the 'alphabet' mystery books starting with A is for Alibi . I think she may have finished Z is For ?? but it hasn't yet been published.

I haven't read the whole series, but I always grabbed a new one when I saw it in the library. She was a reliable author and I liked her characters.

Huia

[ 18. January 2018, 21:35: Message edited by: Huia ]

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Sue Grafton, author of the 'alphabet' mystery books starting with A is for Alibi . I think she may have finished Z is For ?? but it hasn't yet been published.

I haven't read the whole series, but I always grabbed a new one when I saw it in the library. She was a reliable author and I liked her characters.

Huia

Also enjoyed her work, Huia. Thanks for mentioning her here.

And, I believe a "Z" book was planned but not written and the family has said that it will not be done by anyone else.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

Dolores O'Riordan, for Zombie.

A titan of science Fiction, Ursula K. Le Guin, passed away today aged 88.

[Votive]

I have all her Earthsea books!

[Overused]

IJ

Posted by Hazey*Jane (# 8754) on :

The 'Grandmother of the internet' Mary Lee Berners-Lee has died. What an interesting life!

Posted by TurquoiseTastic (# 8978) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
[Votive]

I have all her Earthsea books!

[Overused]

IJ

Ah yes. Wonderful books. A sad loss indeed. [Votive]

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

Sorry to see Ursula has reached the farthest shore. I reread The day before the revolution, about the last day in the life of revolutionary founder Odo, just a week or so ago. [Votive]

[ 24. January 2018, 05:05: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

I think it's time I went on a binge re-reading Ursula Le Guin, I so enjoyed her work. I haven't read much recently, but when I heard she had died I was saddened at the thought of no more new work, and grateful for what she had written.

Huia

Huia, I was thinking the same thing: to read all those old favourites again, starting with The Left Hand of Darkness.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

You beat me to it E.

Ursula Kroeber Le Guin - gone to greater, real, transcendent glory

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I think it's time I went on a binge re-reading Ursula Le Guin, I so enjoyed her work. I haven't read much recently, but when I heard she had died I was saddened at the thought of no more new work, and grateful for what she had written.

Huia

Thanks again for The Compass Rose!

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
A titan of science Fiction, Ursula K. Le Guin, passed away today aged 88.

Oh no! [Tear] Apart from books (The Dispossessed is my favourite), she was an excellent essayist and blogger. Full of imagination and common sense.

She had mostly quit writing fiction -- she said that well had gone dry, a curiously comforting reflection, because that's a thought that frightens all fictioneers. If Ursula could do it we can all do it. But she was still writing essays, ephemera about her cat, and keeping her hand in. She was old and comfortable with it, an art we could all learn. Someone has pointed out how many of her works are about death and coming to an accomodation with our mortality.

I bought The Dispossessed on the recommendation of a Shipmate, sophs, when I started a thread entitled "Anarchism 101", and got into some interesting conversations with an anarchist in jail as a result. Great book.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Thanks again for The Compass Rose!

I couldn't remember who I posted it to, but am glad it had a good home.

I have just borrowed
The Lathe of Heaven from the library. I haven't read it for over 30 years, but it made a significant impact on me, as did The Word for World is Forest . I have also requested a book of essays written last year. I [Axe murder] libraries.

Huia

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
...Ursula Kroeber Le Guin - gone to greater, real, transcendent glory

I know she was an outspoken agnostic, but I still hope and trust that she will rest in peace and rise in glory.

© Ship of Fools 2016