Thread: BC Wildfires Board: All Saints / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006257

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

The wildfires in British Columbia are still expanding. Much of the interior of the Kelowna Fire District is endangered. As of this morning 35,000 people including most of Williams Lake are evacuated. It's going to be a long summer.

BC wildfires

[Frown]

Holding everyone in the Light.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Thanks for posting this - it's not something which has hit standard news here yet, and we were totally unaware of it. May you be wrong in the prediction in your last sentence, and in the interim, strength and blessing for those involved.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

One of my children lives in Kelowna, not much smoke in the air from these. Prevailing winds apparently are carrying it east. Currently at 52° north on the Sask-Man border, 400 km due east of Saskatatoon and there is smoke here from BC. Fort Mac is in our memory.

Posted by Salicional (# 16461) on :

The interior of British Columbia is always hot and dry in the summer, and wildfires are an inevitable part of life there. Still, this seems to be worse than usual. We're supposed to be heading to the Kelowna area in a couple of weeks to visit family -- I hope they get some rain by then!

One of my children lives in Kelowna, not much smoke in the air from these. Prevailing winds apparently are carrying it east. Currently at 52° north on the Sask-Man border, 400 km due east of Saskatatoon and there is smoke here from BC. Fort Mac is in our memory.

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

I worry that as the fire season has started early, it may just keep on going for several weeks, possibly into early September, with no or little let-up. The evacuations we have seen so far may be just the beginning of much more. There's a big fire not far from Kelowna right now -- I'd have alternative holiday plans if intending to head thataway anytime soon, just in case. I understand the whole province is now under a state of emergency.

John

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Thanks for posting this - it's not something which has hit standard news here yet, and we were totally unaware of it. May you be wrong in the prediction in your last sentence, and in the interim, strength and blessing for those involved.

RFS said on another site that they have been asked to supply about fifty people to help. It was noty altogether clear when I read the annoincemenbt if these were actual firefighters or personnel to help in other capacities. I saw the notice several days ago.

Cache Creek evacuation order has been lifted, due to decreasing danger in that area. Stay tuned.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

So frightening. Having lived through a wild fire all I can say is Lord have mercy. The smell of any wood fire still shakes me up two years later. Blessings and safety for those brave souls who fight the fires, and peace to those forced to leave their homes.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

When I hear about wild-fires I tell myself I should never again complain about too much H2O (whether in liquid or solid form).

[Votive] for all affected, and for those fighting the fires.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

RFS said on another site that they have been asked to supply about fifty people to help. It was noty altogether clear when I read the annoincemenbt if these were actual firefighters or personnel to help in other capacities. I saw the notice several days ago.
There was a picture on RFS site last night of 48 volunteers. Being briefed here before leaving to help your firefighters. They will probably be away six weeks.

I Know how thankful we are for such extra help so it is good to be able to return it.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

I don't know how it is in British Columbia, but around here most of the township firefighters are volunteers. Heroes twice over.

A new fire has broken out near Sun Peaks, a ski resort. My niece lives there. [Frown]

That's near Penticton. One of mine is just north in Kelowna.

I'm in a provincial park just now. The tree person (there's a name for this job, what is it?) wondered about 100+ years of fire suppression thus a lot to burn, people building homes amidst mature trees while being lovely creates risk, house construction not being fire resistant unlike earthquake construction. Fort McMurray is in our minds from last year. So many displaced people in the central interior.

Arborist

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

I didn't realise these fires were still raging [Votive]

A reporter here managed to tear himself away from the upcoming election long enough to write an article about NZ fire-fighters coming your way.

It must be really exhausting for the locals on the ground.

Huia

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

[Votive]

Also for the over-heated and/or fiery areas of the US Pacific North West (PNW), the rest of the country, and everywhere else.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

GK, I'm obviously going to have to go back to reading more overseas newspapers, rather than the parochial rags available here.

Huia

Fire broken out in the Joe Rich area near Kelowna. Everyone evacuated now. The community is on the way to Big White, the ski area. My daughter sending photos which look like there was a volcano. It is burning very fast she says.

© Ship of Fools 2016