Thread: Time to get the sprouts on ... Board: All Saints / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006275

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

We're now well into November, and I don't know about you, but my way of cheering myself up during most people's least favourite month is to start planning ahead for the festivities next month.

How is everyone getting on? Have you "stirred up" yet, or will you do it on Sunday week as prescribed in the Prayer Book?
quote:
Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded ...
Whatever your preparations/foibles/panics, feel free to post them here.

For myself, I've started my shopping (very advanced state of affairs for me!) and am contemplating the manufacture of pressies that can be eaten (jars of red-pepper jelly, that sort of thing).

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Hush! It's not Christmas Eve!

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

We can never understand how brussel sprouts could ever be thought of as festive food. And to go back to Piglet's post, how people could waste their good works to bring them forward.

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

I thought she was suggesting that if you were to put them on now they might be tender by Christmas.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Not for Christmas, rather the period before: I've batch-cooked bolognese sauce, fish pie and a few other bits and pieces for those weeks when we all need (and want) to eat but don't have the time to buy and cook the stuff - rehearsals, carol-singing, etc, etc, etc.

I've also bought roughly half the presents and will make a few in the next couple of weeks.

Christmas cake and puddings will be made next week and the boys will make mince pies and prepare stuff like pigs-in-blankets.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

I have bought one present - a calendar featuring elephants for my brother who has Parkinson's. Not very creative, but it's hard to buy for someone whose needs are being taken care of. I'll send a donation to the care home too as I don't think everyone there has family to buy little gifts for them.

My youngest brother likes things like curried nuts, so I want to make them (for the first time) as well as several cakes for various people.

I'm not starting anything though until I have finished establishing my vege garden. This is going to be a healthy Christmas foe me, even if it isn't for those for whom I make things.
[Two face]

Huia

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

I have today thought about buying Christmas cards - I normally get them from Oxfam - but several different charities have sent various samples to Our Place, so I might acquire them, and make a suitable contribution to A Certain Mission Opportunity that is occurring in our parish...

As regards presents, the purchase of bottles of fine ALE, WINE, or GIN is now on the Episcopal Agenda.

[Two face]

As for sprouts...

[Projectile]

IJ

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

My way of cheering myself up is to pretend that this month and next are not happening.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

I just ordered a book, Finding God in the Waves, which Jemima the 9th praised on the Lost in a Good Book thread in Heaven. I'm sure my younger daughter will love it.

Moo

Well, yes - ISWYM. If only February could be advanced....

But I think it's OK to send cards to family I don't see very often, and to buy a little something for friends (especially those who've helped me out over the past two years).

Aside from that, I'll attend (and, in some cases, officiate at) our Christmas services, in the hope that some people, at least, will get an inkling of the real meaning of the season.

No sprouts, though. VEGETABLES OF SATAN!!!!!

IJ

(My last post was in answer to Schroedinger's Cat. Or possibly not.)

Books make first-class presents, though, or even book tokens, if you're not sure what someone might like.

IJ

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

I have no family, so I only buy a few presents for friends -- because I want to, not out of any obligation.

I do send out a lot of cards, so I hope to get started addressing them soon. (If I do too much handwriting at a time it becomes illegible.) I'm retired, so I can do a few every day.

Sprouts? Never! And I've been invited to friends for Christmas dinner, so I'll only bring whatever side dishes and/or desserts she suggests.

However, I do have a pretty big open house a few days later, and that will take a lot of work. But I love doing it, and try to keep it as simple as possible.

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

What's all this nonsense about sprouts? This is a joyous time of year when sprouts really come into their own. Sprouts with Christmas turkey, sprout butter with the pud, - and in the greenhouse the bottles of sprout champagne wink cheerily back at you, awaiting their effervescent liberation.

I normally celebrate Christmas on my own of course.

[ 18. November 2017, 15:14: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

Posted by MrsBeaky (# 17663) on :

This is one of my favourite times of the year. It's January and February that I find hardest, except for the very occasional time when we get snow.
I am half American so for me Christmas preparation doesn't begin until after Thanksgiving which is next week when all the family are coming here to feast.

That said, I have bought Christmas presents for two of our grandchildren this weekend in order to take advantage of a 20% off thingy but I have put them away until later.

As for sprouts, not my favourite thing but made very much more palatable with the addition of chestnuts and lashings of butter.

[Axe murder]

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I love sprouts!

Have you tried sprout soup?

Yum [Smile]

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

This week I made red lentil and teff stew with brussels spouts on Monday, and packed for lunch two additional days. Soaked the lentils over night, boiled them and the teff (this is a wee little grain originating in Ethiopia apparently; the local university has a project to help the diet of people in the highlands with lentils), put them in a sauce of tomatoes, cooking wine, dash of cayenne, some oregano, thickened with ground flax. Celiac friendly for one of the guests. I over ate.

The key for my wife and I is that we have to get outside everyday. Having a dog helps. It is more effort when the sun doesn't rise until 10 a.m and it looks like twilight until it sets in the mid-afternood. Fresh air even at -25 or 30°C followed by a cup of tea is a Very Nice Thing.

Sprout SOUP ?
[Eek!]

Is Outrage!
[Projectile] again.....

And it's been dark here pretty well all day (low cloud, rainy stuff etc.).

Sunshiny weather tomorrow, though, they gave out on the Wireless.

IJ

Actually the sprouts in the OP were sort of pseudo-ironic ... [Big Grin]

I only eat sprouts if not eating them would appear rude. When we were in Newfoundland, we were invited to friends for Christmas dinner, which always included sprouts cooked with chestnuts, and because the sprouts were only just done (i.e. not soggy and horrid) I didn't mind taking one or two. I wouldn't deprive anyone else of them though (Boogie can have my share [Biased] ) and when it's just us, I wouldn't bother, as D. doesn't particularly like them either.

I'm not so sure that sprout soup would be as much of an outrage as you'd think, BF. Sometimes things that are a bit iffy as veggies can make a really nice creamy soup, and you'd never know they were there. I can even get D. to enjoy broccoli soup, and he absolutely hates broccoli in itself.

I wonder if sprout soup has the "slimming" effect of cabbage soup* - after all, Brussels sprouts are really just circumferentially-challenged cabbages, aren't they?

* Remember the Cabbage Soup diet?

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

I would eat sprouts if served them but woulld not buy them. They would probably sit in vegetable drawer till I threw them out. My grandmother always insisted on the old style white sweet potato at Christmas lunch. The sort that is often black inside after cooking. I much prefer kumara, the orange one . It is also a much more reliable vegetable . Bad bits are obvious, not appearing after cooking.

I just got a catalog in the mail which is filled with weird and expensive things. One which startled me was a bottle-opener with a very fancy handle. The price was $185 dollars. They also had a similar corkscrew for the same price.

I will add that this catalog is eighty pages long and is printed on very heavy, expensive, glossy paper. I suspect it cost a lot to mail.

After thinking it over, I have decided that this is a catalog for businesses that want to send Christmas gifts to other businesses. I can't imagine anyone wanting most of the items in this catalog, but the fact that this company stays in business indicates there is a demand for what they sell.

[Ultra confused] [Frown] [Roll Eyes] [Disappointed]

Moo

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

I *love* sprouts and bought the first lot of the season today: tomorrow lunchtime we'll know whether they're OK or whether it's too early in the year.

Perhaps I should have put this on the Unpopular Opinions thread in Heaven!

quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
I *love* sprouts and bought the first lot of the season today: tomorrow lunchtime we'll know whether they're OK or whether it's too early in the year.

Perhaps I should have put this on the Unpopular Opinions thread in Heaven!

I have just bought the first cherries this year. Big, full of flavour and juice. I suddenly realised that if I did not get them when I thought of them,the season would be over. A pre-Christmas treat down here, available for perhaps six week, usually less.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Love Sprouts,
All of Christmas shopping done and wrapped.
Love colder season has arrived.
Love a quiet Advent, my favorite season of the church year.
Quiet stay at home time baking and making Christmas ornaments and holiday food gifts for neighbors.
Then celebrates all 12 days of Christmas, visiting with friends and family having a 12th night party, and visiting all the area decorated places between Christmas and the New Year.
Graven Image in her bliss.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Apparently it's forecast to be a bumper year here for cherries [Yipee] [Yipee] They are my favourite fruit, but only the very dark red ones. I have even been known to buy a dozen off-season when they cost heaps, to remind myself that summer will return. I eat them s-l-o-w-l-y and suck the pits.

My favourite short season legumes are peas. It's a bit late but I have just bought some seeds of a variety that doesn't require staking.

I like the orange kumara too Loth, but I have been told Christchurch is marginal for growing kumara.

Huia

Huia, I eat the very dark ones too. I think from buying years ago that the variety is called Rons. when children were smalI I bottled most fruits with a Vacola outfit, eventually finishing with the large automatic electric version of it. It was lovely to have summer fruit, home preserved , in the middle of winter. Passionfruit were frozen in icecube trays and made a great addition to bottled peaches etc.

[ 19. November 2017, 03:14: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Sprout soup? Surely the house would stink of it for days afterwards.

Gee D, your post on sprout soup posted twice. Like you, my thought of it was not happy so I have deleted the second post.

Lothlorien

AS host.

Thanks - I clicked on send. Nothing happened and so I clicked again. The time-limiter did not work for some strange reason.

" ours not to reason why." as the poem goes. Well, sort of goes. Mysteries happen.

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

The damson gin is coming along nicely and I made the cake a couple of weeks ago. I usually don't bother buying presents until much nearer the time as I haven't a lot of people to buy for.
My son is home next weekend so I'll run my ideas for Christmas main courses past him as he is the family's best cook. We're going to my brothers but as we're vegetarians we turn up with a vegetarian main and a couple of sauces

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

I've bought a few Christmas foods, because the gluten-free, free-from ranges sell out quickly, and if I can find nice things I buy them when I see them. Free from food are not always that great, so there is a certain amount of selectivity is necessary. I've been looking out for some chestnut puree because we have used a Nigella Lawson recipe for a chestnut chocolate cake that is gluten, dairy and most nuts free.

I also visited a bead shop yesterday that I've used a few times, because it is closing down, and bought the makings for some jewellery without nasty allergenic substances (nickel, wool).

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
... we have used a Nigella Lawson recipe for a chestnut chocolate cake that is gluten, dairy and most nuts free ...

It doesn't look dairy-free to me: it's got butter in it.

Sarasa, I can't tell you how envious I am that you can get damsons for the manufacture of GIN. I used to make it when we lived in Belfast, and one year when we were in Newfoundland we took a trip across the island in October and found a farm selling the most wonderful damsons (they were so sweet you could eat them by themselves), so I bought a load and made GIN with them. Sadly, I've never been able to find them since. [Frown]

May I ask what your vegetarian main course will be? I'd make a completely rubbish vegetarian (far too fond of meat), but I'm curious about what sort of things you'd have for a special occasion.

Yes, but I can replace butter with coconut oil and still have an edible dish. One replacement is fine, I gave up on one cupcake recipe when I worked out I'd have to swap more than half of the ingredients.

The vegetarian Christmas dish I used to make was a parsnip and cashew loaf from Sarah Brown, served with potatoes, sprouts and her sherry and mushroom gravy. The carnivores ate it alongside their turkey as a particularly tasty stuffing. It is no longer an option as breadcrumbs, butter, cashew nuts and parsnips are all off the menu.

Posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom (# 3434) on :

Lightly cooked sprouts are among my favourite vegetables - I'm always puzzled by the hate for them! I'm looking forward to the cherries, but even more to the raspberries, which are my favourite food ever, along with asparagus, which we are eating lots of now. My Christmas potatoes should be coming along nicely (Jersey Bennes this year).

I've made several Christmas presents and organised others. Now I need to stick them in the mail to the UK...

Last year's vegetarian dish was a mushroom wellington. I quite often use mushrooms and chestnuts as the main ingredients, I've had choux buns, steamed puddings etc with them in the past. I've also made a cranberry, goats cheese and chestmut ring on a couple of occasions.
Sauces are a red wine sauce which is from a Sarah Brown book. CK had reminded me to have a look there for this year's dish. I also do a celery sauce which is from a Christmas cookbook I received as my SOF Secret Santa present one year. It always goes down well, and geos well with turkey as well as vegetarian dishes.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

@Sarasa - would you mind posting a link to the celery sauce recipe?

I can't find the exact recipe on-line for celery sauce but it's in Favourite Christmas Recipes by Carol Watson published by J. Salmon Ltd. It's available from on-line retailers, but not rather annoyingly, from J.Salmon themselves.
BTW Piglet the damsons for the GIN same from my mother-in-law's garden. I wish I lived nearer as she has two trees that produce an amazing amount of fruit each year plus a mirabel plum tree. I reckon I could set up a farmer's market stall with chutney's jams etc!

Sarasa, your mushroom & chestnut wellington sounds delicious, as does the celery sauce! In fact, I'm quite partial to CELERY, whether raw or cooked.

I like meat, but I also enjoy the occasional veggie dish. Our late churchwarden used to sometimes treat us, at meetings after Mass, to his celebrated vegetable SOUP (no sprouts - sorry, sprout-lovers).

I guess it's the way the veggies are presented. I don't like parsnips all that much, but roasted parsnips are to die for.

IJ

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

Celery is truly the devil’s food. I will just about give it fridge room to make a proper ragu...

Last year’s Christmas food choices were down to the elder ferijenet (then aged 4). Consequently, we had lasagne, which I do recommend for absolutely no possibility of contamination by sprouts, and for overall simplicity if cooked the day before (which also reduces the washing up load).

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Sprouts do not "contaminate", they "enhance".

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

Thing 3 (aka Girl) wants to do some Christmas baking. We're going to sister in laws for the big day so while I've volunteered to play chef I don't have lots of organising to do, so I'm going to blow out on baking for tea. I have a mission to make a sausage roll a thing of beauty and have some plans involving quality sausage meat, cranberries and chestnuts. I'll cheat and buy puff pastry though because Thing 1 (aka Boy 1) is milk intolerant so there's not point me breaking into a sweat rolling pure butter out.

Thinking of making some rum truffles as well. Place where I grew up used to do these lovely ones with sponge cake chopped up with rum and coated in choccy with choccy vermicelli or cocoa powder.

Mince pies natch, but everyone'll still be basically full from lunch so I might experiment with light filo mincemeat parcels.

Generally my catering comes with warnings to know who the designated driver is if you're not staying the night. As it bloody well should be at Christmas.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Is the the aforementioned celery sauce?
celery sauce of one kind

Mushroom and chestnut wellington sounds as if it would go very well alongside roast turkey or a roast of beef.

The celery sauce I do has eggs and herbs in it, but I guess there is a variety of recipes.
In other Christmas related news I signed up to a workshop at our local fabric shop to make felt Christmas decorations. I explained that though I'm a competent knitter I'm awful at sewing. The shop person's reply 'Don't worry it's being run by a brownie leader' - I guess it'll be at my level then....

Gee D said:
quote:
Mushroom and chestnut wellington sounds as if it would go very well alongside roast turkey or a roast of beef.
Yes, but I rather thought it was supposed to be eaten instead of meat...

(Yes, yes, I know - my irony-o-meter is due for recalibration [Biased] ).

IJ

Don't worry, BF, I was thinking something rather similar. [Devil]

We certainly won't be having turkey, as neither of us likes it that much, and honestly, it would just last too long. We haven't really decided what we'll have instead - last year we had roast lamb, which was rather good - and fed us twice more, which was enough that we were still enjoying it, but not getting fed up.

Yes, on past Christmases, when I've eaten solo, lamb chops (or steaks) have been the preferred dish.

Grilled with a hint of garlic, just to bring out the flavour - I like rosemary, too, but now and then it's good to ring the changes.

Roast potatoes, or perhaps a jacket spud, and a side salad of watercress....

NO SPROUTS!!

IJ

Salmon has been my preferred dish the couple of Christmas dinners that I've spent on my own.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

We will have lots of sprouts here. All the cauliflowers bolted this year, but it's been our best year ever for sprouts. Our Christmas Day sprouts will be freshly picked with a food miles distance of about 20 feet.

We're planning something new this year. We've been inspired by the Icelandic idea of exchanging books on Christmas Eve and having an early night with said books. We can't do it on Christmas Eve itself, what with church 'n'all, but we're planning a lazy Christmas Eve eve on 23rd Dec.

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... Our Christmas Day sprouts will be freshly picked with a food miles distance of about 20 feet ...

Ours were like that when I lived at home - my dad was a very keen gardener and grew all the root veggies and brassicas we could eat (possibly rather more than I'd have wanted to eat).

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
The celery sauce I do has eggs and herbs in it, but I guess there is a variety of recipes.

I found the recipe! 2 egg yolks? [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
We can never understand how brussel sprouts could ever be thought of as festive food. And to go back to Piglet's post, how people could waste their good works to bring them forward.

I can eat a few sprouts a couple of times in winter. The super tiny baby ones.

I think this is a reason most of us down here would never think of sprouts at Christmas. Christmas is summer! Any sprouts around down here then would have been in storage and be revolting or would perhaps be imported at a cost of who knows what in food miles as well as cash. I do not think they would be a good accompaniment to prawns or other seafood at all.

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

Exactly, Lothlorien. I like seasonal sprouts in winter to accompany other roast vegetables or alongside casseroles. They have a little brassica bitterness and some cabbagey comfort lurking there.

In the blazing heat of summer with ripe melons and peaches on sale everywhere, small packets of inordinately expensive imported brussels sprouts are just bizarre. Bah humbug.

As bad as out-of-season and tasteless imported Asparagus.

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
... cabbagey comfort ...

Oxymoron of the week! [Overused] [Killing me]

In other news, we are now in possession of a Christmas tree; Canadian T*** were having a sale yesterday and I managed to persuade D. that spending $70 instead of $140 was quite a bargain.

It came with 100 incandescent white lights, but whether that'll be enough remains to be seen. I have a garland with lights on that I might plunder if I think the tree looks too bare. I'll also need to raid a dollar-store for a few baubles.

Did anyone do their Stirring Up today?

I didn't, as neither of us really likes Christmas pudding quite enough to justify (a) the expense or (b) the faff of making it. The idea has huge appeal - having the house smelling all lovely and Christmassy - but it wouldn't really be worth it.

Not being Anglican, we didn't do any stirring up. We did, however, celebrate Christ as King.

(Oh, pudding? We bought ours, ready-made, a couple of weeks ago. As ever, it will get cooked in the microwave on the Day.)

[ 26. November 2017, 21:44: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

I've got a couple of Christmas puds left over from last year, so we shall have one of those.

I love Christmas pudding, although it can sometimes get fraught in the M. household about whether to have it with custard or cream. I like custard, and Macarius is wrong.

We usually end up with both.

M.

Christmas pudding = rum sauce - nothing better, certainly not brandy butter.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

I'm afraid I've got a case of the ""bah, humbugs" as I've seen a number of houses with Christmas trees and lights up already ☹️

Nothing much round here yet, but we is Poor Folks, yer Honour, and can't afford the Lecktricicity....

Our Place is preparing for Advent, of course, being Good Anglicans - the Advent wreath is being made ready, and the first candle will be duly lit on Sunday. Rose-pink on Advent 3, of course, with the rose-pink chasuble on its second outing this year!

IJ

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
... whether to have it with custard or cream. I like custard, and Macarius is wrong ...

Oh no he isn't! [Devil]

I don't mind custard, but Christmas pudding (or mince pies for that matter) without lots of cream is an Abomination.

You can keep the brandy butter as well ...

St. G. - it's as well you don't live round our way - someone round the corner from the new château has had his garden lit up like Blackpool since the beginning of November. [Mad]

Our Advent candle-bridges will go up next weekend (and stay up until Candlemas), and the tree probably the weekend after; D's birthday is the 10th, and I usually start getting decorative sometime round then.

One of the decorations that did make the move was a garland wound with lights that I used to wind round the (very short - about half a dozen stair-rods) banister rail in the old château; as the new one doesn't have stairs, I'm not sure what to do with it. Cannibalise it for the lights? Hang it on the curtain-pole in the sitting-room?

Any better ideas gratefully received. [Smile]

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

Dear Spouse has indicated she wants tortiere (French- Canadian spiced pork pie) for Christmas dinner -- something different. But I 'm in. And roasted sprouts pair beautifully with that.;-)

The adults in our family are all weary of buying gifts for each other. We're concentrating on the grandchildren, one of whom has developed an interest in camping thanks to the Girl Scouts (her parents are the most nature- averse people I have EVER met, so this development filled me with joy), while her sister -- well, she is a whirling dervish, but on the rare occasions she slows down she seems to like toy horses, plus anything her big sister does.

I'd never come across tourtière until we moved over the Pond, and I feel much the same about it as I do about Brussels sprouts - I'll eat it if politeness demands, but I'd never buy it or choose it in a restaurant.

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

I lean towards whipped cream on a Christmas pudding on account of its being less heavy. However, the whole debate is a secondary issue, ISTM. The really important thing is that said confection must be on fire. If it ain’t flambéed, I’m starting a revolution.

(My parents are crossing the Channel for Christmas, and the pudding is arriving in the suitcase [Big Grin] )

Whipped cream? 'Tis an abomination on Christmas pud.

Posted by Rosa Gallica officinalis (# 3886) on :

I'm currently candying an orange for a Hidden Orange Christmas pud. I'll let you know how it turns out in a month's time. My money says it won't look like the picture accompanying the recipe.

I shouldn't worry about that, RGO. Recipes cooked by Mere Mortals never look quite as they do in the book! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'd never come across tourtière until we moved over the Pond, and I feel much the same about it as I do about Brussels sprouts - I'll eat it if politeness demands, but I'd never buy it or choose it in a restaurant.

Even this vegetarian insists on a slice or two of tortiere for Christmas Eve. Not that I'm likely to get any in the benighted wasteland that is Southwestern Ontario. [Waterworks]

Proper tortiere is of the Gods.

Spiced pork-PIE does sound rather alluring (not to Piglets, though, understandably).

I dote on PIE, so I'll have to see if it's available here in Ukland...

IJ

Baubles and an extra set of lights have now been procured and will be affixed to the aforementioned tree in the near future.

I could be beginning to feel quite festive. [Smile]

Tut, tut - Advent hasn't even started yet!

How dare you call yourself an Anglican?

[ 29. November 2017, 06:57: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

One of the children's friends asked for the recipe for rum sauce so number 2 son supplied this:

I think I now know why I fell asleep last time we had Christmas pudding.

The first Mrs. BF and I used to thoroughly enjoy going to her parents for Christmas, as Ma-in-law was a firm advocate of the 'Alcohol in Everything' principle of festive cooking....

We were not, however, allowed to fall asleep after Christmas Pudding. No, no - Pa-in-law would forcibly lead us all on a long tramp into the Peak District (they lived on the south-western edge of Sheffield).

This, of course, roused our appetites for tea, which included CAKE laced with various spirits.

[Help]

IJ

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

No Queen’s speech?

Her Maj was always on in our house in days gone by because my grandmother wanted to watch. Last year my (French) husband insisted that he wished to be initiated into this great British tradition and we were duly installed in front of the telly at 3 pm.

No, the In-Laws were not particularly enamoured of the Holy and Sacred Royal Family (despite Pa-in-law being a senior Civil Servant - not quite Sir Humphrey grade, though).

Church at 11am, dinner at 1pm, walk at 3pm, tea and CAKE at 6pm or thereabouts, depending on the depth of sn*w encountered. Ah, happy days!

IJ

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Tut, tut - Advent hasn't even started yet!

How dare you call yourself an Anglican?

I'm not going to put it up until the weekend after next - just get it ready and make sure everything that should work does. There's nothing worse than getting everything set up, plugging it in and finding that the lights are b*ggered.

Sensible Piglet!

Happy Advent, when it arrives...

IJ

[Smile]

The only bit of Christmas decoration I allow before the middle of December is a wreath on our front door and that not until December 1st. I was looking at them in our local market today though and trying to decide how blingy I want to go.
Son came home for the weekend, but food discussion didn't get very far. We both agreed a stuffed cauliflower recipe looked interesting, but wouldn't transport very well so I think it'll be wellington again this year.
Jacobson the celery sauce recipe is worth it - everyone I've tried it on has loved it.

Would your lovely celery sauce go with the spiced pork-PIE mentioned earlier, do you think?

IJ

Thanksgiving with family was great and now comes the anticipation of Advent.
Advent calendars have been duly dispatched to daughters and grandchildren.
We will start with the Advent Procession at our Cathedral this Saturday and gradually add little details of decoration to the house throughout the month until the tree goes up in the final week.
I so love this time of year. [Axe murder]

This has been such a difficult year for our family so we'll no doubt arrive at the big day battered, bruised but better for being together.

May it be so, Mrs. B!

Meanwhile, does anyone know where I might buy tourtiere PIE in this country? A brief search online seems to indicate that I'd have to make it myself, and I. Can't. Cook.

[Disappointed]

IJ

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
May it be so, Mrs. B!

Meanwhile, does anyone know where I might buy tourtiere PIE in this country? A brief search online seems to indicate that I'd have to make it myself, and I. Can't. Cook.

[Disappointed]

IJ

Do you not have pork pies in the UK? A poor substitute, because it would not have that magical combination of spices used in tortiere. The official pie is pork and veal, but a mixture of pork and mince will work just as well. As to spices, check out a recipe. Making it is as simple as buying a ready made pie shell, mixing the meat combo with diced onion and two raw eggs and popping it all in oven for 30-40 minutes at 350F.

If this is all to much to contemplate, perhaps one of your church ladies might give you a helping hand.

Pete, would this recipe cut the mustard (so to speak)?

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Received my first Xmas card in Wednesday - from Hong Kong - the earliest ever.

Sure it wasn't from last year, running a bit late?

[Two face]

IJ

quote:
Pete, would this recipe cut the mustard (so to speak)?

Yes and very similar to my Gran's. Strange you use the term "cut the mustard" It reminded me that, unlike most, I like my pie with a sharp mustard. English, by preference. Homemade chili sauce would be ok, too. Never catsup, as that is for people with warped minds or undeveloped taste buds.

I received my first Christmas letter two weeks ago. The person who sent it is a full-time Organist/Choir Director, so he knows that if his cards or letters are not mailed out before Thanksgiving they're not going to be sent.

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
... I like my pie with a sharp mustard ...

A quite possibly heretical thought has just occured to me: tourtière might be really rather nice with Branston pickle.

It works with haggis (which may also be heretical) ... [Big Grin]

The haggis season starts today (the feast of St. Andrew); I've got minced lamb in the freezer, and will be looking out for lamb or chicken livers whenever I'm in a supermarket, as we're having some friends round to take in the New Year and I'm planning on making haggis for the occasion.

[ 30. November 2017, 20:11: Message edited by: Piglet ]

quote:
... plugging it in and finding that the lights are b*ggered.

I assembled the tree last night and when I plugged it in, only the top half of the lights lit up. What an embuggerance*, I thought - until I realised that because it came in two parts, the lights were two sets of 50 rather than one set of 100. Once I'd sussed that out (and added 100 of my own) it really looked rather pretty.

I had bought a box of silver baubles to add to it, and found that they don't include anything to hang them up with, so I've been burglarising any odd bits of wire I can find to make little hooks to hang them up. Why on earth wouldn't they come with something to hang them up by?

[Confused]

* with thanks to the late Sir Terry Pratchett for that most useful word

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

quote:
quote:
... plugging it in and finding that the lights are b*ggered.

I assembled the tree last night and when I plugged it in, only the top half of the lights lit up. What an embuggerance*, I thought - until I realised that because it came in two parts, the lights were two sets of 50 rather than one set of 100. Once I'd sussed that out (and added 100 of my own) it really looked rather pretty.

I had bought a box of silver baubles to add to it, and found that they don't include anything to hang them up with, so I've been burglarising any odd bits of wire I can find to make little hooks to hang them up. Why on earth wouldn't they come with something to hang them up by?

I'm afraid I cannot approve of putting up the tree so early. (Santa decorates it on Christmas Eve!) However, putting that custom-difference aside for the moment, I have grown to profoundly dislike the use of "minilights," particularly those strings that have EVERY light go out if one minibulb is loose. Crappy technology. Some years ago I went back to good ol' C7 bulbs (which you can now get in LED versions [Yipee] ) allowing me to happily screw in just the color I want where I want it, and if one of the bulbs goes out or is removed, the rest of the string keeps shining happily!

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Dim old Miss Amanda (excuse the pun) can't figure out who's quoting whom in the previous frame, so she'll just respond without quoting anyone.

Way too early to put up a tree! We've barely put away our gold Christ the King vestments, let alone got out the Advent purple.

Over here they sell little packets of hooks to use on Christmas tree ornaments. Are they not available elsewhere?

When I was a child (admittedly back in the Dark Ages), all Christmas tree lights were wired in series, which meant that if one burnt out then the whole string would go out. It was a chore to find out which one was the bum one. Then someone got the bright idea (again, pardon the pun) of wiring them in parallel, so that if one went out the rest of the string wasn't affected.

Now we're back to wiring them in series? Strange how what goes around, comes around.

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I'm afraid I cannot approve of putting up the tree so early ...

Neither do I. [Razz]

In answer to Miss Amanda's question, I did see packets of hooks, but I imagined they were for either replacements or individually-bought decorations; it didn't occur to me that you'd need them on a brand-new box of baubles.

I think I've found enough bits and pieces of wire that I won't need them anyway.

Regarding lights and the wiring thereof, I agree it would be much easier if only one would go out at a time. I don't know why they changed it (although I'm sure there'll be a logical explanation somewhere).

Oh, and Hedgehog - colours??? Is outrage!!! [Big Grin]

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

The RC cathedral here in Phoenix puts up trees in the sanctuary on Advent 1, but doesn't decorate them until Christmas eve. It's sort of interesting -- quite penitential, in fact -- to see the bare trees.

Unfortunately they leave the decorated trees up until Candelmas, after everyone is thoroughly sick of seeing them, on the excuse that "That's the way they do it in the Vatican." Surely Epiphany should be the day (at the very latest) when the trees are taken down and all other Christmas ornaments put away.

Personally I think Gaudete Sunday is plenty early for the tree to go up, and New Year's Day is when it comes down.

But living alone in my old age, I don't bother with a tree anymore. A poinsettia out on the patio, and maybe a wreath on the door, but that's it.

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

quote:
Oh, and Hedgehog - colours??? Is outrage!!! [Big Grin]

The Lord God made them all, and by God I'm gonna use them!

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
... they leave the decorated trees up until Candelmas ...

I put the candle-bridges up this afternoon, and they'll stay up until Candlemas; the rest of the stuff will come down at Epiphany.

I knew people in Northern Ireland who would take their decorations down on Boxing Day which, as a Scot who likes to celebrate New Year, I found very strange indeed. Mind you, they'd probably been up since mid/late November ...

I've also decorated the tree but not put it up - Hedgehog please note. [Big Grin]

[ 02. December 2017, 20:21: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Wreath went on the door last Friday and the tree went up yesterday. The next thing will be some seasonal greenery for the grate of my ugly but much loevd Victorian fire-place.

I've even managed to send off a few (a very few) Christmas cards.

Hah! Bumhug!

I was in church today, simply rejoicing in the Advent austerity - no flowers, purple hangings, a tiny bit of evergreenery on the Advent wreath (enlivened only by the rose-pink candle for the extravagant luxury of Advent III)....

To Nether Hell with all this tinselled frippery..

Now, where's that crust of stale bread? I've found a nice piece of CHEESE to go with it, once I've scraped the green bits off.

IJ

The blown bulb on one of the candle-bridges has been replaced, so the windows look nice and festive, but I couldn't find a nice simple star for the top of the tree - the only ones seemed so big and heavy that the branch probably wouldn't hold them up.

A star hanging from the curtain rail above the tree will have to do.

This star of which you speak is surely part of your Epiphany celebrations, no?

And therefore need not be put up until 6th January, no?

[Two face]

IJ

But, if the Magi arrived on January 6th [Devil] surely the star would have been around for a long time before, so they could follow it ...?

Yes, but 2 - 4 years later...... [Two face]

IJ

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
But, if the Magi arrived on January 6th [Devil] surely the star would have been around for a long time before, so they could follow it ...?

Good point. Anyway, the tree will be coming down on 6th January, along with the star and everything else except the candle-bridges. [Biased]

Which brings me to a question that I can never figure out....when is twelfth night- the 5th or 6th?
I know everyone has their own traditions but if I wanted to follow this tradition I'm scuppered as so many people I know don't agree on the date!

Thoughts, oh fellow festive house decorators?

quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
Which brings me to a question that I can never figure out....when is twelfth night- the 5th or 6th?

January 5th, the 12th night (start counting with December 25), and the Eve of the Feast of the Epiphany.

In Newfoundland, the 5th or 6th is still celebrated by some as Old Christmas Day, when you might be invited to someone's house for drinks and festive food (possibly made from left-overs).

I tend to take the decorations down on the 6th, it gives the magi time to actual get to my nativity scene - at the moment they are on one side of the mantlepiece, whereas Mary, Joseph and assorted shepherds are on the other.
I marzipanned my cake today, or at least attempted to. I ran out of marzipan so it'll have to be finished later in the week.

Tree and cards come down on the evening of the 5th, first thing on the 6th at the latest.

Crib stays up until 4th Sunday after the Epiphany or so - down by Candlemas.

My tree is lit for the last time the night of the 5th.

Decorations start to come down on the 6th, in no particular order, as time permits.

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Tree and cards come down on the evening of the 5th, first thing on the 6th at the latest.

Crib stays up until 4th Sunday after the Epiphany or so - down by Candlemas.

Yes, our Crib stays up until Candlemas too.
I love that tradition.

My wreath fell off the front door and broke yesterday. Is that an omen of impending disaster or just that I didn't fix it on properly?
I got another on today sligthly differently made, so I hope it satys put.

We inherited a rather pretty wreath which was on the front door of the château when we moved in, but it (or rather its hook) fell off not long afterwards. We still have the wreath; I just need to find another way of attaching it.

I mailed all my packages today. Tomorrow I hope to do my Christmas cards. It feels good to be on top of things.

Moo

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

We went through a phase some years ago of people nicking our Christmas wreath (even when it was wired to the woodwork!) so I gave up on those. Besides, putting a hook into our new front door is a definite no-no!

We have managed, this week, to put up our trees, post the cards and order the turkey. Somehow my trees are always secondary to institutional ones - when Dad was head of a village school, the school always had our Christmas tree till after the end of term.

When Mr S was chairman of the Scout group, we never got our tree till after the Senior Citizens' Party - and now that I'm churchwarden I had to organise the church tree and crib first. Maybe that's why we aren't among the Early Adopters for Christmas decorations?

At least the house doesn't look quite so bah, humbug now...

Mrs. S, stands for Scrooge [Killing me]

Posted by daisydaisy (# 12167) on :

Today I surprised myself into finishing my Christmas cards. I just now need to surprise myself into getting to the post office this side of Christmas. Last year I damaged both my arms the day before I had planned to get the cards written, so resorted to,e-cards, which I planned to go for this year too, but I've been shamed into sending real ones instead and actually enjoyed doing it.

Cards were mailed Thursday and Friday, and I started my present wrapping (what little there is of it) today. I'm slowly checking things off my list.

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

I don't do Christmas really, but my partner put up a small twinkly fake Christmas tree which looks pretty. And there is a box of Christmas crackers in the kitchen cupboard alongside red and green festive napkins.

I'm afraid the Palace decorations usually consist of just the received cards, strung up over the living-room.

OTOH, the Church looked nice today for the Carol Service, with bits of holly and poinsettia arrayed on the aisle window-sills, to complement the Advent Wreath near the altar. We set fire to lots of candles around the place, too, so suitably festive, albeit Advently restrained.
[Big Grin]

IJ

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

Bishop Finger

I think that this webpage from the Order* of St Clare at Freeland may be what you were looking for.

Jengie

*Roman Catholic ones are all 'Poor Clares' so the Order of St Clare was up for taking when they were founded.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Bishop Finger

I think that this webpage from the Order* of St Clare at Freeland may be what you were looking for.

Jengie

*Roman Catholic ones are all 'Poor Clares' so the Order of St Clare was up for taking when they were founded.

I like the simplicity of those cards.

The Anglican nuns at Jamberoo on beautiful south coast of NSW make many things but their candles are especially popular for baptisms.

Link here.

Thanks, Jengie - that's where my colleague bought them from, though the page illustrated was last updated in 2011 ! Presumably, they've produced new designs since then.

IJ

Those cards are lovely - beautifully simple.

We had our carol service this afternoon, and while it was mostly lovely, two things rather spoiled it: the lessons were taken from some ghastly, inferior translation (i.e. not the AV); and someone (I don't know who) has decreed that the Christmas tree in the Cathedral shouldn't be lit until Christmas Eve, so it was there, but unlit, and I can't think of anything more depressing than an unlit tree. Even D., who's usually a bit bah-humbug about Christmas decorations, reckoned they ought to have turned on the lights. He's going to make recommendations at the next staff meeting.

Decorations went up yesterday with help from husband and third daughter. Interesting listening to them discussing the stories about each ornament-
lots of water under many a Christmas bridge!

I still have a lot to do this week and am not at all well.
But oh, how I love this time of year and so am banking on that bubble of Joy to carry me through to next week.
Watch this space!

Today and tomorrow are forecast as very hot for Sydney . Christmas Eve will be around 40 and then back to more reasonable 24 on Christmas Day itself. I hope people can take those sprouts off the heat. Heat makes them smelly. [Big Grin]

[ 18. December 2017, 20:13: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Thanks, Jengie - that's where my colleague bought them from, though the page illustrated was last updated in 2011 ! Presumably, they've produced new designs since then.

IJ

They had more designs in 2011* those were only illustrative. The problem is finding out what they have in.

Jengie

*I am judging by those I bought about 2007.

Cards posted, presents wrapped. No decs. until sundown of the 24th, though.

I've now sorted out my UK pressies (visit to the Wine Society's web-site fixed that in about half-an-hour flat).

A couple of local (within Canada) things to wrap and post (really must get that done tomorrow) and another batch of red-pepper jelly to make, and I'll feel that I'm on top of things.

We were rather knocked for six last week, because D. pulled a muscle, and wasn't feeling like doing anything, and I had a filthy cold, and wasn't feeling like doing much more than that.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Decorations and tree up, some presents wrapped and under tree, turkey and other comestibles procured. Mrs S is making curry puffs (which always go down well and we have an order for a dozen) and it looks like we may have as few as four at our table on 25th December, which will be a change. For better or worse, I can't say. I think we will have more on Boxing Day.

Tree and decorations now up.

My wreath is hung, as are my Christmas cards. I'm not dealing with a tree this year. My Nativity will go out when I return from this morning's church service, and Baby Jesus will join the rest of the gang after Christmas Eve service.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Packed for my trip to my daughter's for Christmas. Just waiting for my brothers to get here in a couple of hours, and the rental car to be picked up, and we'll be off.

[Votive] safe travelling for all on their journeys to Away, or Wherever.

IJ

Isn't "Away" where the Manger was?

Merry Christmas to all!

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

Merry Christmas everyone! [Axe murder]

Pressies wrapped ready to be distributed later; now listening to King's on the I-player while D. plays for the children's pageant and early-evening Eucharist before picking me up for Midnight Mass.

Merry Christmas, everyone! [Smile]

Yes, Happy Christmas, and God bless us, every one!

No sprouts, but I have a couple of nice pieces of chicken, with bacon, and stuffing, cooking up in the Episcopal Palace's coal-fired range. A baked spud, a glass or two of French vin rouge, and some French cheese to follow.....

IJ

That sounds rather delicious, BF. [Smile]

O, it was, it was...... [Big Grin]

Toast + Marmite, plus Toast + squished BANANA, for tea!

IJ

Finally got the tree* up at midnight on Christmas Eve, followed by wrapping a present for my neighbour and organising presents for my daughter, which rather counted out Midnight Mass and 8am.

* tree is fake and new†, which had my daughter posting pictures of its patheticness on the book of the Face as I unpacked it. She willingly found the nativity set and miniatures, but not the tree, which she is disdaining;
† I had two others, but both got left at previous two workplaces, one because I had two, the other because this is the first Christmas at home for several years.

Size isn't everything when it comes to trees - it all depends on the size and type of space it's going in.

There's a house up the road from us that has one gable wall that's completely glazed showing a big, double-height space, but no visible decorations* at all. If it was my house, I'd have an absolutely huge tree standing in the window space with bazillions of white lights on it. [Smile]

Ours is 5' tall and quite narrow, which suits fine, as it fills the height of the sitting-room window, but doesn't take up too much horizontal space on the table it's sitting on.

I'm pleased with how it looks, with just a couple of dozen silver baubles and a couple of hundred white lights. [Smile]

* I suppose they may have decorations on the side of the house that faces away from the road, or have none at all.

Posted by Curious Kitten (# 11953) on :

quote:
* tree is fake and new†, which had my daughter posting pictures of its patheticness on the book of the Face as I unpacked it. She willingly found the nativity set and miniatures, but not the tree, which she is disdaining;

Trunk is furry and the branches on bottom two thirds are mostly bare which really shows. You can see how the fake foliage is attached to the bare metal.

It isn't that unrealistic, says the person who has decorated countless real trees (for the annual tree festival in church) and spent time rearranging such trees to hide their many imperfections in shape and the bare branch sections. It also didn't help that the photographs were taken before all the branches were disentangled and pulled into position.

Sometimes you don't need greenery at all - I've seen a couple of pictures of twigs and branches, sprayed white, with a few baubles and lights wound round them and they look lovely.

[Smile]

My parents' tree, since they moved to the current house, has been a tall branch sprayed white, decorated with lights and elegant glass baubles on different length strings. It works because it's in the hall of a house, attached to the staircase and they have an outside shed to store said branch*. My grandmother did something similar when she still lived in her marital home. I can't think of anywhere it would work in this flat.

* I have also been on expeditions to collect a suitable branch, left it to dry out and then painted it.

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curious Kitten:
quote:

Trunk is furry and the branches on bottom two thirds are mostly bare which really shows. You can see how the fake foliage is attached to the bare metal.
We have a rather elderly fake tree, and two years ago I read somewhere that to pimp it up a bit, what you need is green tinsel. Masses and masses of green tinsel.

Guess what - it really works! You can push it in between the branches to hide the trunk, and it also adds a bit of glimmer to the whole thing. I know it's too late for this year but get on down to B&Q or somewhere and buy up all their green tinsel in the sales!

Mrs. S, keeping this tree another ten years at least [Killing me]

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

We were away from 22nd - 27th and before that we had the Colds From Hell, so never got round to decorating at all this year.

However, since we ate out on Christmas Day, we have taken the opportunity to make ourselves a special meal for new year instead.

Tonight began with citrus marinated prawns, followed by ginger glazed ham (Mary Berry's recipe from this year's 'Party' programme, and a cracking recipe it was too), roast potatoes, mustard sauce, and braised red cabbage with apple.

To follow there were home made mini pavlovas.

Everything was delicious and there are plenty of leftovers for tomorrow too!

First tree thrown out on to kerbside today - what happened to the 12 days of Xmas?

First sighting of Hot Cross Buns in our local Co-Op today, so that's where Xmas has gone!

[Two face]

IJ

We saw Easter Eggs in the local Marks and Sparks yesterday - the lamb was cute

eta the Daily Fail article.

[ 01. January 2018, 17:58: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

O, I shall hie me out forthwith (well, tomorrow) to the nearest Marks and Sparks to buy one of those CHOCOLATE lambs!

And Hot Cross Buns (with plenty of butter) are good at any time of year...

IJ

I think the sprouts are well and truly cooked. Especially as hot cross buns are now on sale.

Thread closed.

© Ship of Fools 2016