Thread: My pilgrimage Board: All Saints / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006278

Posted by The Scrumpmeister (# 5638) on :

Next month I plan to make a pilgrimage to the parish of Our Lady & St Thiebault in Gorze, France. I hope to be there for the feasts of Epiphany and Theophany (which are different feasts in our church calendar).

It's difficult to put into words how much this means to me. I came to Orthodoxy in 2005, and a large part of that was through exposure to the Western Rite, although it was completely inaccessible to me locally, and what little connection I did have was severed when I was ordained a reader, as my bishop at the time was opposed to the Western Rite.

Still, throughout my years in my Byzantine Rite parish and diocese, I longed to belong to the Western Rite and developed a fascination with the Western Rite parishes in France. One of the flagship parishes was the Gorze parish, where they have a functioning prayer community made up of laity, clergy, and a nun, and where they serve the Western Mass beautifully. I often looked at the videos from this parish, showing baptisms, ordinations, and services from various feasts.

However, I belonged at the time to the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the church to which this parish belonged was considered "uncanonical", so they were strictly off limits to me.

When I used to watch those videos years ago, I never for a moment thought that I would one day belong to the Western Orthodox Church but, through circumstances, this is where I now find myself and I am increasingly happy. I have visited my bishop's monastery a couple of times, and that has been good for me for all sorts of reasons - not least of which because when I needed a church home and was feeling very hurt and isolated, my bishop welcomed me and took me in just as he found me. However, visiting the Gorze parish feels like putting a stamp on my having finally come home. I will at last be able to take part in what always seemed like a distant dream, as well as get to meet my wider church family apart from just those people attached to the monastery.

After a difficult three years in my personal and spiritual life, I feel more grounded in my faith and for excited about the direction that is taking for the first time in a long time.
I'm so very grateful and just wanted to share that here. I ask you all for your prayers and invite you to share your own similar experiences if you wish.

Here, here, and here are some of my earliest and favourite videos from the parish.
[Axe murder]

[ 27. December 2017, 21:43: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

It is good to hear that you have found somewhere which is home to you. Best wishes and prayers for your pilgrimage.

If others take up the idea, can I offer a gentle reminder that hosts have to check all links. Please stick to no more than three as the Scrumpmeister has done? Thanks. That means all links, not just to videos.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

How wonderful, Scrumpmeister! I rejoice with you, and pray that your pilgrimage will bring expected and unexpected blessings,

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

I'll join in the chorus wishing you every blessing in your pilgrimage, Scrumpmeister, and hope that those blessings continue after your return.

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

Blessings to you, and best wishes for a successful pilgrimage.

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

I am so very happy for you. For your finding a welcoming home, a home in the Western Rite and for your upcoming pilgrimage: it sounds wonderful.

You must report back on all that happens.

God grant you safe and profitable travels!

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

Prayers and blessings. Beautiful videos and I'd love to hear more about your pilgrimage.

Posted by The Scrumpmeister (# 5638) on :

Thank you, all, for your good wishes and kind words. I really am happy.

I'll certainly report back once I've had a chance to process the experience.

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I am so very happy for you. For your finding a welcoming home...

This is what lies at the heart of it, I think. If anyone had told me a few years ago that I would be sitting in an Orthodox monastery, discussing with my Orthodox bishop the collapse of my marriage and receiving nothing but compassion, support, and welcome, I would have laughed, but that is exactly the situation in which I found myself in Holy Week. In the Russian Orthodox Church, merely speaking out against the injustices and hurt caused to queer people earned me an excommunication for "bringing the church into disrepute", and that was without a marriage under my belt. My mind is blown at the contrast.

Because of those circumstances, though, it means that I don't get to receive the sacraments very often. There is only one parish of the Western Orthodox Church in the UK and UK train fares mean that it is less costly to go to France. However, I follow the calendar for readings and I'm rendering some of the basic offices into English so I can pray those. It makes me all the more appreciative of those opportunities when I can make my confession and receive Communion. To be able to do this next weekend and also celebrate two of the great feasts of the church is a real gift to me.

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
Beautiful videos...

Yes! [Yipee] The videos are so lovely.

I can't wait to experience the worship there in person. This particular rite is not used anywhere in the UK and it is very beautiful. It is used at the monastery but when I go there I work. (On my last visit in October, I was the choir at the Sunday Mass. [Smile] ) At this parish, there's a full complement of servers, singers, and an established congregation. While the worship is beautiful in the monastery, it would be good to experience the rite as it was intended.

[ 28. December 2017, 09:45: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Blessed Epiphany!
(a day late...)

I hope you made it there safely, and in time.

© Ship of Fools 2016