Thread: Canada: The first year of the next 50... Board: All Saints / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006282

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Well, barring the fountain of youth being discovered (is it single malt? Please tell me it's single malt) I certainly won't be around for our bicentennial, but, as they say, baby steps...

So here goes: Happy new year's eve ... don't drink and drive. Your dog will never understand why you didn't come home.

Happy New Year, confrères et cosoeurs!

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

Bonne année, Pete! And all the rest of you too. It's some cold out there. Not sure if I'll go down to see the fireworks or not. Thankfully, they are at the reasonable hour of 8 p.m.

The past few years have been a little too challenging so I sure hope that 2018 is a little kinder. All the best to my fellow Canadians on the Ship! Stay warm!

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Thank you both. I count myself as une soeur so add sisterly greetings to you all.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
... don't drink and drive. Your dog will never understand why you didn't come home.

[Overused]

I took your advice, Pete, and did not drink and drive. Basically, I had tea and went to bed and my dog is just fine with that.

Happy 2018!

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

I toasted 2018 at home with some Canadian Crown Royal, my dog snuggled up against me. We were both happy.

[Smile]

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

Right cold here. Downright frigid.

Posted by marsupial. (# 12458) on :

Apparently they had to bring the penguins indoors at the Calgary zoo. That's cold for you.

Happy New Year everyone.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

It's been jolly cold here too: it's currently -17° but the last few nights it's been down in the -20s - brrrr!

Happy New Year, one and all. [Smile]

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

I was pleased to read that Ottawa was colder than some parts of Mars. I have always thought that this might be the case.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Yes, but which parts of Mars? I was always told that the Martian equatorial regions were quite balmy (or was that me being told I was barmy?).

Anyway, bonne annee, mon Oncle Pete, et tous!

IJ

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Yes, but which parts of Mars? I was always told that the Martian equatorial regions were quite balmy (or was that me being told I was barmy?).

Anyway, bonne annee, mon Oncle Pete, et tous!

IJ

The Club Med at Elysium Mons? The louche bars of Xanthe? Or Cool Siloam's Shady Grill in Cantuar Alterius Orbis?

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Bonjour les canadiens, et bonne année. Pardon, mon français est mal.

2018 may be a planning year for me...I've always wanted to see the east coast of Canada. Perhaps 2019 will be it.

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Bonjour les canadiens, et bonne année. Pardon, mon français est mal.

2018 may be a planning year for me...I've always wanted to see the east coast of Canada. Perhaps 2019 will be it.

Hmmmmmmmm..........that would be here! No worries, we can also understand English.

It would be here too - we'd be delighted to see you, IC. [Smile]

As to Ottawa's frigidity, when we were coming back to Canada after my brother-in-law's funeral (in a very mild February in Scotland, after which we had a few days in the south of England, where it was shirt-sleeve weather), we had an overnight stop in Ottawa.

We got ourselves settled into the hotel, and having consulted the restaurant guide, headed out to find one that we thought looked nice.

It was so cold that we ended up in the first one whose door was open (I can't remember its name now); it wasn't the one we'd thought we wanted from the guide, but it was very good indeed.

And warm ... [Smile]

Oh, and before you ask, we did have winter coats - we were going back to St. John's, which felt balmy by comparison. [Big Grin]

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

Oh, Ian! We'll all be chiming in with east coast recommendations, but I have to give a shout out to Cape Breton Island. It's absolutely lovely, with fantastic people, and if you're lucky you might even hear them speaking Gaelic!

Occasioned by Piglet's posting about snowfall on a different thread, and my conversation this morning with my father (where he is, it was about -30C), I was put in mind of my living in northern Ontario, where neighbours often help one another dig out from the snow; which brought to mind Alden Nowlan's

Canadian January Night

Ice storm; the hill
a pyramid of black crystal
down with the cars
slide like phosphorescent beetles
while I, walking backwards in obedience
to the wind, am possessed
of the fearful knowledge
my compatriots share
but almost never utter:
this is a country
where a man can die
simply from being
caught outside.

I love that poem. It really captures a commonly held sentiment in a scene all of us have witnessed.

[ 03. February 2018, 01:59: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Ahk. There's no such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing. Got out to our cabin at -32°C. No wind in the trees. Started shovelling snow and ended up having to take off my parka to do it wearing just a fleece. Lots of snow. We're a northern people. Defined by toques and mitts. Skiing tomorrow!

Posted by sharkshooter (# 1589) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Ahk. There's no such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing. Got out to our cabin at -32°C. ...

I respectfully disagree. Went golfing yesterday. Going for a hike today. Temperature about 27C here, near "Little Canada" Arizona. Not returning to the Great White North until it isn't white.

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
... Not returning to the Great White North until it isn't white.

You may have to wait for a bit ... [Big Grin]

Hope you're enjoying your sojourn in the Deep South! [Smile]

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

A message from Uncle Pete. He was taken into hospital with pneumonia but the doctors there investigated the cause and discovered that he has a colonic cancer. He will be going in for laparascopic surgery on Saturday. Any messages will be passed on to him.

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

Oh no! Smudgie, I am so sorry to hear about Uncle Pete's health struggles. Please tell him I'm thinking about him and sending up a prayer for him and for his medical caregivers. [Votive] thank you for keeping us in touch with him.

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

What Leaf said.

John

Sending prayers and virtual hugs from over here too.

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

My prayers join others' [Votive]

Oh, dear. My prayers for Uncle Pete. Please let him know that we're all thinking and praying for him.

[Votive]

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

My friends, the news is not good. Uncle Pete has suffered multiple organ failure. He is unconscious and on a ventilator and his family are meeting with the doctors tomorrow to discuss some difficult decisions.

Please hold him in your prayers, together with P and S as they meet with his doctors. And remember Wodders - I am contacting him to break the news which will hit him very hard.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

[Votive] [Votive]

Posted by sharkshooter (# 1589) on :

So sad. [Votive]

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Absolutely ridiculous re Pete! Very sorry to hear of this.

[Votive]

Posted by marsupial. (# 12458) on :

[Votive]

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

[Votive]

[Votive] Uncle Pete [Votive]

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Pants (# 999) on :

[Votive]