Thread: Young, scrappy, and hungry— the 2018 Yankeevania thread. Board: All Saints / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006283

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Welcome to 2018. When are deze colonies gonna rise up?

[ 01. January 2018, 07:54: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

For reference.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

Madam, I am neither young nor scrappy.

Hungry, however...

Moo

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Welcome to AD 2018, dear US friends! [Yipee]

In these festive times, I'm binge-finding out about WW2, and all those contributions of yours which helped to set the world free from tyranny - at least for a couple of decades.

I'm watching again 'Band of Brothers' and just purchased the follow-up, 'The Pacific'. In addition, I've found the entire 24hr-D-Day broadcast from CBS, here, which make for gripping listening (and there's some great big band jazz as well!).

It makes me tremendously grateful for the real suffering and real commitment for a real good cause, and I find this uplifting and inspirational. I'm now also getting a few WW2 books, such as by members of the 'Band of Brothers', most of them first-hand accounts.

Starting the New Year in gratitude and with real news, even from beyond the grave, and from real history somehow seems to make sense to me right now.

Have a good one! [Axe murder]

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

It is our hope, in dark times. We can do truly awful things (slavery) but we can also rise. May we rise again.

Wes, I binge watch Band of Brothers on Memorial Day anf Veterans Day. Never gets old.

It doesn't, does it!

This time, I looked at a lot of the places on Wikipedia and other sites. I'm beginning to understand the details much better, and am planning to do the same with 'The Pacific'.

The D-Day broadcasts are also quite instructive. I didn't know, for example, that in Italy, the Germans booby-trapped some of their fallen comrades, and when the Allies went to bury them, well...; similar, CBS said that the Germans in at least one instance raised a white flag, and when the Allies then approached them, the Germans unloaded their machineguns on them.

Also, and according to the CBS broadcast, there was a lot of friendly fire in the invasion of Sicily, with allied planes being shot down by their own. Which is why the Normandy Invasion planes all carried the famous black and white stripes on wings unad fuselage.

Just a few details, as I see them, but worth to do more research on. It is an important subject. Didn't someone say that íf we don't learn from history, we're bound to make the same mistakes again?

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

I'd like to drop in and wish all my chums South of the Border all the best for 2018.

[Smile]

Posted by Salicional (# 16461) on :

Today the big mass of arctic air is reaching its way right down to the Gulf Coast. I hope all the shipmates down there are keeping warm!

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

I was in Oceanside, California for the New Years weekend. Dead! Usually teeming with Marines from Camp Pendleton, but if I say I spotted half a dozen I'd be exaggerating.

Flew into San Diego and took the train up to Oceanside, as I usually do. Coming back New Years Day, San Diego Airport was fogged in. Not only my flight, but dozens of others, were canceled. The airport was a madhouse! Fortunately I got on a later flight, but it was two hours late taking off.

It didn't help that Southwest Airlines uses Terminal 1 at San Diego Airport, something left over from the days when the Wright Brothers were the only licensed pilots. Terminal 2 is much better -- American Airlines uses that terminal, but I don't fly American anymore due to problems I've had with them in the past. This weekend's experience might just be enough to make me reconsider.

[ 02. January 2018, 15:47: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Happy New Year, Yankeevania.

By God, you deserve it!

Maybe the blast of winter air will even freeze out the Great Goblin you have as your 'Leader'?

IJ

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
...Maybe the blast of winter air will even freeze out the Great Goblin you have as your 'Leader'?

One may always hope.

Probably not - he'll just bugger off to Mar-a-lago with his golf bats.

[Mad]

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I was in Oceanside, California for the New Years weekend. Dead! Usually teeming with Marines from Camp Pendleton, but if I say I spotted half a dozen I'd be exaggerating.

Flew into San Diego and took the train up to Oceanside, as I usually do. Coming back New Years Day, San Diego Airport was fogged in. Not only my flight, but dozens of others, were canceled. The airport was a madhouse! Fortunately I got on a later flight, but it was two hours late taking off.

It didn't help that Southwest Airlines uses Terminal 1 at San Diego Airport, something left over from the days when the Wright Brothers were the only licensed pilots. Terminal 2 is much better -- American Airlines uses that terminal, but I don't fly American anymore due to problems I've had with them in the past. This weekend's experience might just be enough to make me reconsider.

I had a four hour delay in that terminal last Spring. It wouldn't have been so bad, except I had my then two year old with me, and the stroller I was using had already been checked when the delay was announced. So I had to try to corral an energetic two year old with very little space and next to no food options.

People complain about Denver's airport being so far out of town. I like it, because space was not an issue when it was built, it is huge, and if you do end up stuck there with a kid on a four hour delay, you can always find huge unoccupied open areas to let the kid run, and it's never too hard to find something to eat.

San Diego's Terminal 1 has two parts: Gates 1, 1A and 2 (which is where I was), which is a room that would feel crowded with 50 people in it, let alone 500; and then Gates 3 through 9 (I think it is), which is only a slightly larger room and is up a flight of steps to boot.

Terminal 2 is spacious and airy and has a fabulous food court the size of a shopping center, with an excellent choice of eateries.

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Looks like some of you have got more cold weather coming...

Bomb cyclone!

Stay safe. And warm.

It is indeed dreadfully cold here -- going down into the teens tonight, with a sharp wind. Dangerously cold.
What is unusual is how far south the cold wave extends. They had snow in Tallahassee, Florida today. People down there are utterly unable to cope; they don't have the tires or the garments or the shoes.
We were driving back from Atlanta (where it is also well below freezing!) after the holidays and stopped at a mall for coffee. There was a pop-up shop called 'Warm Togs', selling the items that southerners never own. In the window were ordinary leggings, the cotton ones, imprinted with a design of snowflakes. My heart bleeds for the people who are buying these and assuming it will keep them warm!
I have flannel-lined jeans, down booties, socks with thermal fleece linings, Aran wool sweaters, and a Russian Navy surplus greatcoat. I'll still be cold, but I won't freeze.

It looks from our weather forecasts as if you're going to be sending what's left of your weather bomb our way: they're offering us over a foot of snow tomorrow night. [Waterworks]

It's been consistently cold here for well over a week: temperatures rarely topping -15°C (-5°F) and dipping to -26°C (-15°F).

The trouble is, we got over a foot of snow on Christmas Day, but because everything froze so quickly, it's still there, and another foot on top is going to be a total pain.

Hoping that all in the path of the storm can stay safe and as warm as possible.

I'm sorry to any Oregon residents, but having had to pump my own gas (petrol) since I started driving, and I'm no spring chicken, some responses amused me.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

The 112th National Western Stock Show kicked off in Denver today, with the annual parade of livestock and horses down 17th street, which is the heart of the central business district. We took the three year old, who wasn't sure about waiting, but ended up having a great time.

It's usually about 10 degrees F on the day of the parade- we are in the midst of the six-week stretch of "Stock Show Weather," where Denver can actually see sustained freezing temps. Today, it was a balmy 54. Still a bit cool in the shade, but quite a bit warmer than most of the South. (Miss Rodeo Colorado had a gorgeous fur coat selected for the event, and wore it despite the warmer temps. Miss Rodeo Wyoming went with a leather vest, perhaps as a nod to the tradition of people from Wyoming telling us "this isn't cold! What are you talking about?" when it gets below zero.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

I have a snow day today here in New York City. It's nasty out there! Fortunately I have no reason to leave the house today.

Stay warm Nicole!

That sounds wonderful Og; I may have to put it in my calendar for one year. Hurrah that 3 yo had a good time.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Thanks Ian. My apartment is nice and cozy, no complaints on that account.

I hope all of you in the path of the storm are staying safe and as warm as possible, especially those in Southerly Climes™, who aren't used to it, and probably haven't got coats, boots, snow-tyres and so on.

I'll confess to a mild chuckle at a thing that came up on Facebook about two inches of snow in (I think) Charleston causing closure of schools and widespread gnashing of teeth.

We've probably had nearer two feet. [Eek!]

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

We had an earthquake this morning, here in the SF Bay Area. It's been designated something like a 4.3; but it felt much stronger to me, like 6.0 or 7.0. I think the epicenter was in Berkeley, just across the bay. Maybe the closeness gave it more strength? Anyway, no reported damage/injuries.

Everyone please be safe, warm, dry, well-fed, etc., in whatever weather and circumstances you find yourselves.
[Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
We had an earthquake this morning ...

That puts things into perspective a bit! [Eek!]

Hope you and all the other Californian Shippies stay safe!

On the radio driving home I heard that it is so cold in Florida that the iguanas are freezing and falling out of the trees. The NY Times, however, reassures us that falling iguanas are often not dead, just sort of stunned by the cold. If left alone they may recover and walk away. They are sufficiently spiny that it is not wise to drive over them.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Is this a bad time to mention a high of 77F today here in central Arizona?

[Razz]

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

When I had a pet iguana many years ago (a story for another time), the only time she ever bit me, and it wasn't like an iguana could do, which is bite your finger off, was when we were outside on a cold day, sitting in the sun. She saw a strange cat coming near us, and she couldn't move fast enough to climb up to safety on my shoulder. Iguanas do move in slow motion when it's cold, and the poor thing knew to get my attention.

She knew and paid no attention to my cats. Likewise my mom's huge iguana (another story) knew her cats, and would seek out Moo to lie with. Moo would look for him to hang out with too. They were best buds!

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Is this a bad time to mention a high of 77F today here in central Arizona?

YES.

We've got an Extreme Cold Warning in effect for tonight, with wind chill values going down to -38 (-34F)

With the greatest respect, you can take your 77°F and shove it ... [Snigger]

We're at 40c today and tomorrow. As much as I hate it it seems more bearable than -35c!

The thing is, when it's -35° you can always add more layers. When it's +45° there's a limit to what you can take off. [Big Grin]

Having said that, in either circumstance I'd avoid going anywhere near out. At -35° I'd be indoors with the heating on keeping warm, and at +45° I'd be indoors with the air-con on keeping cool.

We'll finally be able to thaw here on Monday. We're promised to have 79 degrees. It's only 59 right now, which is better than it was yesterday! I was worried about my orchids freezing yesterday morning. Fortunately, it was in the mid-30's.

The tourists are really enjoying seeing the manatees at the manatee park near me. Perfect time for seeing the beautiful creatures!

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... It's only 59 right now ...

59° is a distant dream (about 4 months distant to be exact). [Frown]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

It is only 22 here so far today. Over 40 forecast and two more days of 35. That of course is Celsius.

Here is a great example of why journalism is great: a local reporter puts it all on the line. It is ten degrees F as I type this, and it's going to get a lot colder, recordbreaking for this area.

He's a braver man than me. Well done. And interesting report.

Rather them than me. [Eek!]

It's currently -18°C (0°F) here, and that's about as warm as it's going to get today; last night it went down to -22°C (-7°F).

That's cold.

Yes, the rescue people are amazingly courageous. The reporter is possibly insane.
Today they predicted it would be 25 degrees F. I don't think we're going to make it.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

It's currently -18°C (0°F) here, and that's about as warm as it's going to get today; last night it went down to -22°C (-7°F).

That's cold.

Yup. That's getting nippy. [Biased]

Posted by Salicional (# 16461) on :

-6°F this morning as I walked to church. Rather brisk, but invigorating also since the sun was out. We are finally supposed to experience some relief tomorrow as temperatures are forecast to break the freezing mark for the first time since Christmas Eve, but the immediate effect of that will be to turn the roads into a slushy mess!

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Here in rural Northern California we are having a bit of much needed rain. I sit surrounded still by Christmas gifts as the flu season is nasty in our area this year. Mr Image and I are well but children and grand kiddies have been struck one by one since a week before Christmas, so have stayed away. At this rate they may get their new gloves and warm throws in time for Easter.

There's frozen rain pattering down as I write these words. I may be staying in tomorrow.

I should if I were you, Rossweisse - although freezing rain can produce the most beautiful silver frosts, where every twig is encased in ice and the sun sparkles through it, it also produces the worst imaginable Patches of Treachery™ underfoot.

Stay safe!

Zappa - [Killing me]

The temperature here is predicted to get above freezing today for the first time since last Monday. Tomorrow the temperature is predicted to stay above freezing day and night. I'm looking forward to it.

Moo

I'm convinced the weathermen enjoy frightening us. We had the bomb cyclone, and various snowpocalypses. Today they're predicting black ice and hazardous road conditions, terrorizing my husband into announcing that he will come home from work at noon and await my phone call. When I'm on my way back he will go out and spread sand on the driveway.
It would serve us all right if it all came to nothing.

I suppose they're covering their backs. And you're better forewarned about black ice anyway - it's very nasty stuff.

According to Environment Canada, the temperature here is going to be +6°C on Thursday and +8°C on Friday. I'd be breaking out my sandals if it weren't for the three-foot snow-banks ... [Big Grin]

It'll take more than a couple of mild days to shift those. [Frown]

quote:
...Stay safe! ...

I did, thank you!

They're predicting another coastal storm this weekend, mostly freezing rain. [Frown]

Moo

Really??? You can't catch a trick. Stay safe. And warm.

There seems to be water falling down from the sky-- our first rain in quite some time (Phoenix area). Before the rain we had a great deal of wind, as well as a bit of thunder and lightning.

Just read of the mudslides in California. Shocking. 13 dead and many missing.

[Votive]

quote:
... Before the rain we had a great deal of wind, as well as a bit of thunder and lightning.

Your owlery is still where you left it, isn't it? [Eek!]

I'm sort of imagining the scene from the start of The Wizard of Oz.

[Votive] for all affected by the mud-slides.

We had about three inches of snow yesterday. I can't shovel it myself, and I'm not bothering to get someone else to do it.

Today's high temperature is predicted to be in the 30s, and sunny all day. Fortunately my driveway and walks have a southern exposure. I think by the end of the day they will be almost clear.

The fact that we're at 2100' means the sun is brighter.

Moo

A couple of good sunny days should clear your snow rightly, Moo.

We were amazed at how well a day and a half at 50°F+ cleared our snow. Not all of it (there had been an accumulation of more than three feet), but it shifted what hadn't been piled up in the drive, which gladdened our hearts!

Take care if you're going out though - it can be very slippery while it's melting.

This morning, I turned my heat on for the first time in years! It was really cold!! 33 degrees!! But, relief is on the way. It should be 80 on Monday.

My blood is too thin for this! [Eek!]

Whine. Gripe. Sad face.

The weather in southwest Virginia does get interesting sometimes.

Moo

That's rather more "interesting" than I'd like!
quote:
... It should be 80 on Monday ...

[Eek!] [Eek!]

quote:

quote:
... It should be 80 on Monday ...

[Eek!] [Eek!]
[Yipee] [Big Grin]

I'm sure it'll get cold again. [Frown]

Is there a Super Bowl thread, I wonder? - Coz I just watched all the Super Bowl ads on the WaPo website, and feel all Americanised now! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Is there a Super Bowl thread, I wonder? - Coz I just watched all the Super Bowl ads on the WaPo website, and feel all Americanised now! [Big Grin]

There's a Super Bowl thread in the Circus. Or should that be Superb Owl?

Thank you very much, I hadn't seen that one, for some reason!

I am weak. I am shameful.

It's been so hot lately. (Wasn't I just complaining about the frigid weather recently?) The AC is on. It's not even half-way through February. I remember the good old days when I felt disgusted with myself for putting the AC on in June. Then it was May. Next thing you know, it will be on all year long.

It might, if climate change continues at this rate.

That's what I'm afraid of, Rossweisse! Of course, my place might be under water then, so a moot point. [Eek!]

Don't feel guilty, JJ - if you need air-con, you need it.

Because of the way the heating works in our new house, I frequently find myself turning on the ceiling-fan in our bedroom when I'm drying my hair, as it's just too warm (although in fairness that may be my age) ... [Hot and Hormonal]

We were driving through Falls Church, VA this evening and saw a restaurant sign. It said:
Pho - Grill
Burrito Bowls

Only in America!

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
...Burrito Bowls ...

In case you need help with appetite suppression...

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

Adam Rippon men's figure skating. I just love him, his breath taking skating, and the classy way he represents America and gay athletes.

[Overused]

4 hours in and the New Orleans Mardi Gras parade is still going. I give in. I'm taking my beads and heading to a restaurant for lunch (gumbo?). What an experience. And what a city.

[ 13. February 2018, 18:16: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Oh my. 16:20 and it's still going. Did not realise it was an all day parade.

In the French Quarter some unimpressed Christians were holding up signs about hell and repenting.

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
... In the French Quarter some unimpressed Christians were holding up signs about hell and repenting.

Couldn't they have waited until tomorrow? [Devil]

We had a sedate Anglican Shrove Tuesday dinner of pancakes, bacon, and berries. (I don't think I'm up to a New Orleans-style Mardi Gras.)

The Clydesdales are in town this week!!! I hope to go see them, but think I'll be in opposite sides of town from them about every day.

Yes, I'm trying to up my post count. Why do you ask? [Razz]

(Five more!)

[ 19. February 2018, 17:26: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Here in the Phoenix area we're having what my cousin Elizabeth of blessed memory (first cousin twice removed) would have called a "funny day." Chilly. Sunny this morning but it clouded over and rained just as the gardeners were mowing the lawn. They packed up and went home, and of course the sun came out. Periods of sun and clouds. Very windy. Glad to be indoors watching it all out the window.

quote:
Here in the Phoenix area we're having what my cousin Elizabeth of blessed memory (first cousin twice removed) would have called a "funny day." Chilly. Sunny this morning but it clouded over and rained just as the gardeners were mowing the lawn. They packed up and went home, and of course the sun came out. Periods of sun and clouds. Very windy. Glad to be indoors watching it all out the window.

You must have had all the rain (what there was of it) on your side of town. No rain here, nor in downtown Phoenix where I spent most of the morning. But we're sure getting the wind right now.

quote:
The Clydesdales are in town this week!!! I hope to go see them, but think I'll be in opposite sides of town from them about every day.

When we lived in New Hampshire, the Clydesdale stables were about ten miles from us. We used to go and see them regularly.

AFAIK there are several Clydesdale stables around the country, which is why they can appear in so many places.

Moo

Yes, although we like to think that the Best Stables are in St. Louis, where The Brewery is located. (Tradition, you know.)

Over forty years ago, we would take a rare trip to Busch Gardens in Tampa. My favorite thing to do was to go to the Clydesdale stables there. They are such magnificent animals!!

This was such a long time ago. I remember that there were little kiosks scattered over the grounds where they would give folks a plastic cup of beer. For free! I've never been a beer drinker. shudder Tastes like bear sweat. I did wish they would have given out free water at those same kiosks.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Judy, when I was about, Sydney had 6:00 pm closing of pub bars. There used to be a mad rush of workers to get the last few schooners in. Dad would take us on occasions to large shopping centre to cash his pay check at a big store and we had to walk oast one such pub.

The smell was disgusting and turned me off thinking about beer for many years. Dad did not drink it so I did not see it at home. Many, many years down the track, my sons , introduced me to good beer, much from small boutique breweries. Much to my surprise I liked it and while I never touch Fostersw or XXXX, I even buy good beer for my pantry. One stubby on a hot afternoon is a wonderful pick-me-up.

As to bear sweat, I know nothing about that. [Big Grin]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

I once almost got trampled to death by Clydesdales. I was walking through a narrow alley on the edge of the Ohio State Fair when I heard a great noise and saw the whole Budweiser bunch bearing down on me. I flattened myself face first against the wall and saw the driver laughing at me as they passed by. In spite of the fear factor it was a thrill to be so close to those big hairy hooves. Beautiful things.

Twilight, that sounds terrifying!!! [Eek!] They're certainly beautiful animals, but they are huge!

Loth, when I was in Hood River, Oregon with my BFF and her son, we went to a beer tasting. My BFF doesn't drink at all, so her son, E, and I did the tasting, with me taking the first sip of each of the many (15? 16?) samples. If I liked it, I would put it to the side to finish later. If it tasted like bear sweat, I'd give it to E and he'd finish it for me!

These were all from small, local breweries, which was fun thinking about people putting their hearts and souls into something they were passionate about! There were actually a few that I didn't dislike! They were almost wine-like!

jedijud, I'm really curious about how you know what bear sweat tastes like. I'm happy to say I've never tasted it.

Ahh, some things are too terrible to share, even among those of us who are such great friends! [Biased]

Before I was diagnosed with asthma, I had to go to the hospital ER to have nebulizer treatments when I was a teen. Alas. That also tasted like bear sweat. [Waterworks]

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
jedijud, I'm really curious about how you know what bear sweat tastes like. I'm happy to say I've never tasted it.

Newcastle ale (as sold in the US). That's the taste of bear sweat. When I consider that's what too many Americans believe English brown ale is about... [Projectile]

quote:
Ahh, some things are too terrible to share, even among those of us who are such great friends! [Biased]

Before I was diagnosed with asthma, I had to go to the hospital ER to have nebulizer treatments when I was a teen. Alas. That also tasted like bear sweat. [Waterworks]

Maybe they should just put beer in the nebulizer? [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Maybe they should just put beer in the nebulizer? [Biased]

I think that's what it was!!!! [Big Grin]

Oh, a productive day this morning...and I don't have to lift too many fingers! Lawn was mowed this morning by the three efficient guys I tried out last month. Now my piano is being tuned!!! Yay! [Yipee] All my fingers have to do is to pay these gentlemen!

There's nothing like playing a freshly tuned piano! [Axe murder]

Amen! Piano studio at the community college where I'm taking lessons is giving their midterm recital next Saturday. I'll be playing two Scarlatti sonatas: K27 in B minor and K380 in E major. Freshly tuned (I hope) Steinway grand.

quote:
Amen! Piano studio at the community college where I'm taking lessons is giving their midterm recital next Saturday. I'll be playing two Scarlatti sonatas: K27 in B minor and K380 in E major. Freshly tuned (I hope) Steinway grand.

I'm so disappointed that I can't be there.
[Frown]

Break a leg, Miss Amanda! Good for you! [Smile]

Toi toi toi, Miss Amanda! (It's the operatic equivalent of "Break a leg," and it's supposed to be the sound of spitting three times. Theater people are gross sometimes.)

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
it's supposed to be the sound of spitting

I like patooey myself -- or ptui.

BTW -- I decided I'm only going to play the B minor Scarlatti. It's a little over five minutes, and that's plenty long for them to hear me. Others in the studio can regale them with longer works -- there's a boy who I think is going to play the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2. And believe me, he plays it better than Liszt himself did!

quote:
I like patooey myself -- or ptui. ...

It's opera, darling. We do everything in our own special way.

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:
I like patooey myself -- or ptui. ...

It's opera, darling. We do everything in our own special way.
It looks like I'll have to drag Miss Amanda to the opera one of these days.

(Seriously, let me know if you're interested.)

At the risk of spawning a new thread . . .

I don't dislike opera, but I feel it's a rich folks' pastime. The last opera I attended was Madama Butterfly, and that was for a class assignment last year. Loved it, but I paid $80 for a seat in the back row of the balcony. Fortunately I could move up closer at intermission -- it wasn't sold out. But $80 buys me two weeks' worth of groceries (almost).

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

The opera and ballet I have seen recently I've paid £6-£13 for tickets in the Gods, at the Royal Opera House or Coliseum (ENO), or for as cheap return tickets through a returns site, where I can end up in amazing seats.

Opera combines all of the arts, and needs people skilled in them: musicians (singers and instrumentalists), dancers, artists and artisans (for designing and building sets and costumes), and people to make it all run. It's a very expensive business, and that's why tickets (whose prices rarely cover their real cost) are expensive.

There are usually special offers and other ways to see things, though.

Believe me, if were for rich people only, I would know very few operagoers. But I know many of them.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

We paid £26 each for good Upper Circle seats for La Forza del Destino in Cardiff last week - a top-notch performance. The most expensive seats were £48, don't know what the cheapest ones were. Very different to Covent Garden! The lead tenor was outstanding. In the summer we saw Rosenkavalier and it was one of the greatest opera performances I've ever seen.

I used to visit the opera when I lived in Sin City (Sydney). And I am definitely downstairs.

May I just say how polite you Americans are? Through all my travels people just couldn't do enough for me. I know serving staff rely on tips, but I had plenty of conversations with them, they assisted me with any questions I had (come here to a restaurant and get a I can't be arsed attitude), and those I met wanted to know all about me - even people in airports. And commiserated with one poor waitress after the most entitled people I have ever seen left. She seemed to appreciate the solidarity.

And the Southern accents. Oh my. I hope she was not offended but on leaving a plane I complimented a flight attendant, saying she had the best accent I had ever heard. Amazing.

I did not get used to being called Sir all the time (my socialist tendencies...), but when in Rome... I have fond memories, and many are of the people I met. So generous. And genuine.

You may have a crap President (another question I got asked on, my thoughts...I got theirs before I replied!) but your wonderfulness remains.

Thank you, kind sir.

Three years ago I studied Spanish for two weeks in Mexico City. One young man in the class was from Perth, Australia. I didn't detect an accent on his Spanish, but oh, wasn't his English heavenly! I loved speaking with him on those occasions when we felt like resorting to English.

I know that here in Arizona, as an expat New Yorker, I love to hear the New York accent on someone's voice. Instant flashbacks of nostalgia.

I had to post so we could get the Yankeevania thread to three pages!!

My orchids are blooming! They make me happy. It makes me happy that they all don't just die!

[Smile]

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Mine too!

Mine died. I'm glad yours are flourishing!

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

They sit on a ledge right above the sink and dishwasher.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

I have two orchids on the bathroom windowsill, one is coming into the flower the other has just finished.

Miss Amanda--

quote:
At the risk of spawning a new thread . . .

I don't dislike opera, but I feel it's a rich folks' pastime. The last opera I attended was Madama Butterfly, and that was for a class assignment last year. Loved it, but I paid $80 for a seat in the back row of the balcony. Fortunately I could move up closer at intermission -- it wasn't sold out. But $80 buys me two weeks' worth of groceries (almost).

Yeah, such things are usually out of my budget range, too. Some alternatives:

--PBS television. The "Great Performances" series sometimes has opera. Might be available at the PBS site, too.

--DVDs or tapes from the library.

--Online. Probably YouTube and lots of other places.

--Matinee performances are usually cheaper.

--Sometimes, concert halls and theatres will let people usher, in exchange for free admittance.

--Colleges sometimes do opera productions, and should be much cheaper than professional opera. I don't think high schools usually do opera, unless maybe an arts magnet school. But worth checking.

If you're new to opera, I'd recommend some Gilbert & Sullivan light opera, like "Pirates of Penzance". Great fun. Also the two Figaro operas--IIRC, one by Mozart and one by Puccini.

FWIW, YMMV.

Another option is The Met: Live in Hd, which is shown in movie theatres. I know there are venues on my side of town, and I assume there is at least one over by you. They’re live broadcasts on Saturdays, usually repeated a weekday evening.

Golden Key, there’s really only one Opera company in these parts -- Arizona Opera -- which does five operas a year. They do a weekend of two performances in Tucson and a weekend of three performances in Phoenix for each opera. In Phoenix it’s Friday evening, Saturday evening, and Sunday matinee -- and the Sunday matinee is the most popular and, I believe, a bit more expensive.

As far as the Figaro operas, “Barber of Seville” (Rossini, not Puccini) is being performed next weekend (March 9,10,11), and “Marriage of Figaro” will be in April of 2019.

Symphony Hall, where AZ Opera performs in Phoenix, does have volunteer ushers, but I think they expect you to usher for a variety of concerts, and I don’t know how much choice you have.

Our local university does have an opera company, but I think the quality of the performances has gone down in recent years. Also, one has to deal with students texting throughout the performance, families there only to see ”their” person and talking when “their” person isn’t on, etc. (I had a rather heated exchange with someone about that one a few months ago.)

Miss Amanda, I'll let you know of any good deals I may hear about.

© Ship of Fools 2016