Thread: Absent Friends Meet - 24 Feb 2018 Board: All Saints / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006287

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

It has been a Ship tradition for many years for some of us to gather in London in the new year to remember those who have departed this vale of tears to claim their eternal reward (and to eat, drink and be merry, of course!). This year, that will include the boards themselves - or at least the software on which they have run for the last fartoolong!

I would like to propose that this years meet takes place on January 27, but I am perfectly open to moving it if others are unable to make that date. The traditional venue is the Jugged Hare on Vauxhall Bridge Road, but again I'm open to alternative suggestions.

As has been noted elsewhere recently, we don't seem to have many meets any more. It would be nice if we could make this one a success to mark the change to the new Ship.

All are very much welcome, new or old.

[ 17. January 2018, 10:12: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

Ooooh.... the website says 20% off the bill for all of January!

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
... the last fartoolong ...

I looked at that and decided that "fartoolong" was a gastric condition caused by drinking too much tea.

I'll get my coat.

I'd love to be able to join you for the meet, but I'm never in the UK at the right time.

Have a good one! [Smile]

Posted by rosamundi (# 2495) on :

I should be there.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

I'm not around on 27th, or for the following 2 weekends [Frown]

Last year, the Jugged Hare closed at 9 and weren't serving food

[ 05. January 2018, 21:10: Message edited by: Spike ]

Posted by Pants (# 999) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I'm not around on 27th, or for the following 2 weekends [Frown]

Last year, the Jugged Hare closed at 9 and weren't serving food

The harbinger of doom passes through...

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

I can do 27th.

Could also do 20th if that’s better for Spike. But can Marvin do 20th?

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

I can come, maybe, health of offspring permitting.

According to the website of the Jugged Hare, they are open to 23:00 on Saturdays, only event currently on the site is 20% off in January.

Would anyone be interested in going to Tate Britain that afternoon?

I'm open to any and all suggestions for alternative dates. The only weekend I can't manage is 3/4 Feb.

I can't do 13th or 20th January, 3rd or 24th February, but I am offspring-health-dependent, so ignore my availability.

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

Please not during Dry January. I can't remember Gambit properly with a glass of lemonade. [Big Grin]

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

It’s a possibility. I’m probably working most weekends between now and the end of February, and my office is only a few minutes’ walk away.

I hadn't considered that some Shipmates may be doing dry January (honestly, it never even occurred to me that it might be a possibility).

It has occurred to me that I can't make the 17th of February either.

So the first date that Spike, Tubbs and I can all make looks like being the 24th February!

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

I’d very much like to come along again, I really enjoyed meeting people when I made it once before...
I can’t do 27th January though, I’ve got a gig calling for a ceidlh that night, which is scary because I haven’t done it for years, and I’ve never done it without having a fiddle in my hands!

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

24th ok for me.

Sorry, I can’t do 24 Feb.

How about 20 Jan but declare it a Feast Day as far as dry January goes??

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:

I would but having double checked, I'm busy that night watching Star Wars with hubby and family.

24th Feb works for me. There's nothing to stop us having two meets - one in Feb and one in Jan. Two Absent Friends meets would kind of fit with the vision Gambit had one year for a Meet a Month.

[ 10. January 2018, 20:11: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

I’m trying to go out and Meet Humans and Be Sociable as I’ve discovered that box-sets on Netflix/Amazon aren’t the same as actual 3d friends. I’d be very pleased at the idea of two meets, for what it’s worth.

Posted by starbelly (# 25) on :

I am certainly up for meeting... the dates suggested so far seem fine for me!

24th Feb is good for me

Posted by Emma Louise (# 3571) on :

Oh I'd love to make a last shipmeet but will raise a glass from here.

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
Oh I'd love to make a last shipmeet but will raise a glass from here.

I hope it's not the last Shipmeet! Or do you mean that you don't intend to go to any more? [Waterworks]

Posted by Emma Louise (# 3571) on :

I've just reread that and not sure what I was thinking when I posted that! Possibly because I posted after reading all about the boards moving.

I'd love to be there though. Hopefully sometime [Smile]

[ 13. January 2018, 07:36: Message edited by: Emma Louise ]

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Macarius and I are waiting to hear back from people we've already given dates to and so can't say yea or nay at the mo', although I do know we can't do 20th or 27th January.

If a date is chosen, we'll either turn up or not!

M.

Is the 20th a thing? Or another date?
I met some of you once and would love to do so again.

It looks as if the Absent Meet will be happening on 24th February as a number of people have signed up for this.

I can't do either the 20th January or 24th February. I could do 27th January for a meet of some sort but I think I am probably on my own, unless we want to try for a meet a month again (Gambit tried, we tried a few years ago, and managed 10 months, iirc, but they included walks, museums and other meets).

If anyone is around for a meet on 27th January at the Jugged Hare, I'd want to combine it with the Impressionists in London EY exhibition at Tate Britain.

Can’t do the 27th, but I can do the February one.

Cool, we seem to have agreed on 24 Feb as the date. I may just abuse my Admin privileges to put it in the thread title [Smile]

Cool. Hopefully we'll be able to raise a glass to the new boards as well

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

I hope to join you! The other Leaf and I are planning to leave the frozen Canadian heartland to be in London that weekend [Yipee]

Posted by Ultracrepidarian (# 9679) on :

Ooh. I happen to be in Oxford on 24 Feb, with nothing better to do than to head down to London. [Big Grin]

[ 21. January 2018, 08:22: Message edited by: Ultracrepidarian ]

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

Reading with interest- and pleasant recollections of a few Brockenhurst meetings... ...

Now I'm wondering if I can change my tickets for 24 February. I so want to come to this.

Yangtze and I met up yesterday to see the Rachel Whiteread exhibition (closes today) and some of the Lumiere London lights on my way to the theatre (which was why I wasn't available last night) and her way home.

What time(ish) on February 24?

It'll be a good idea to check with The Jugged Hare a few days beforehand that they'll be open, that they won't be closing early and that they'll be doing food

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
What time(ish) on February 24?

Echoing this question. I don't want to rock up and be Norma no mates

Let's say 7pm.

Still looks good for me, I’ll try to make it [Smile]

Gahh. I've been an idiot and thought the meet was on the Friday evening rather than the Saturday evening. I'm probably not going to be able to make it. [Frown]

Is there anybody about who might be interested in meeting up on the Friday?

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Hi - this weekend I'm dealing with a recent family bereavement, and will have to withdraw. Enjoy!

I know from personal experience that it can be harder to cross the city, after a long week at work, than to cross the Pond! However I hope to meet the Shipmates who can make it to The Jugged Hare (the one on Vauxhall Bridge Road) this Saturday night.

Qoheleth, sorry to hear of the circumstances which will keep you away [Votive]

I've just spoken to the Jugged Hare. They've confirmed that they're open until 11pm this Saturday and they're serving food until 9pm

All my tickets and accommodation are booked, so this thing is definitely happening now!

quote:
Originally posted by Ultracrepidarian:
Gahh. I've been an idiot and thought the meet was on the Friday evening rather than the Saturday evening. I'm probably not going to be able to make it. [Frown]

Assuming I can leave the flat safely, would you be interested in theatre tickets?

I will be there for a drink or two! See you tomorrow.

I’m feeling shattered and my head hurts, so I’m not going to make it today [Tear]
I’d have loved to see you all. Next London meet definitely.

That’s a shame [Frown]

I'm a no, too. Daughter hasn't had a good week and doesn't feel well enough to be left.

I will see you in about an hour!

I’m here. For those who don’t know me I’m the devestatingky handsome man wearing a green jumper under a black coat, holding a broken phone and a rapidly emptying pint of ale.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I’m here. For those who don’t know me I’m the devestatingky handsome man wearing a green jumper under a black coat, holding a broken phone and a rapidly emptying pint of ale.

Just got to Victoria. See you soon

Lovely to see everyone and look forward to doing it again next year

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
quote:
Originally posted by Ultracrepidarian:

Assuming I can leave the flat safely, would you be interested in theatre tickets?
Sorry, I see you ended up not being available in the end, but it turned out I was reduced by a bad cold as well - the trip to Oxford was good, but not as fun or busy as it would have been if I'd been well! I hope it was a good meet for those who went. [Smile]

It was great to meet you! Thank you for your hospitality to me and the newly-christened Branch, who likes his nom de Ship [Big Grin] .

© Ship of Fools 2016