Thread: FAQs: ETA and other Ship slang Board: The Styx / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002145

Posted by pimple (# 10635) on :

I hope this is the right place to ask. I am mindful of the Oxbridge chap who was so embarrassed at not finding out where the toilets were during Fresher Week (if they have those at Oxbridge?) that he spent 214 lectures and 16 tutorials with his legs tightly crossed.

So what is ETA all about, plase?

[edited title]

[ 11. December 2006, 11:41: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

ETA = Edited to add

There is a list of abbreviations at the bottom of the page called Board Culture under FAQs on the menu on the left.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
There is a list of abbreviations at the bottom of the page called Board Culture under FAQs on the menu on the left.

When I click on it I'm told "You have requested a thread that does not exist!"

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Sorry - the link worked for me. You can still find the abbreviations under FAQs, on the left, on the menu there, and look at the Board bit above.

Posted by Olas (# 4116) on :

The link to the FAQs worked fine, but the link to the Acronyms thread didn't work. The link says it's in the Styx, but I couldn't find it there, or in Limbo. Any chance of getting a fix, please? - it was pretty useful in working out what the hell some people were talking about!

I got the same result as Olas. But I do remember an old thread (poss in Limbo) being resuscitated at my request and bumped up - on Styx I believe - a few months ago.

When I tried Acronyms on the search facility it gave me a bum steer TITSIIFIC......

Posted by Scot (# 2095) on :

It appears that a few threads were lost during the recent launch of Oblivion (can you really launch oblivion?). Unfortunately, the acronym thread was one of the ones that has vanished. Please feel free to ask any questions about Ship jargon, abbreviations, or acronyms on this thread.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Scot
Member Admin

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

It was my fault -- I wasn't paying close enough attention when I was moving threads around, and I am sure it got lost. To make up for it, I offer this starter list of acronyms:

And here's a bunch more.

Posted by Nicolemrw (# 28) on :

lately I've gotten fond of

TMI! (Too Much Information)

Posted by Professor Kirke (# 9037) on :

NB: nota bene -- Draws attention to something important. (That one took me forever to figure out.)

IOW: in other words

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

I sometimes still have to look up things like:

AISI: as I see it
ASF: and so forth
ATM: at the moment
ICBW: I could be wrong

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

GIGO: Garbage In, Garbage Out.
ACRONYMS: Absurdly Contrived Representations Of Names Yielding Mass Stupefication.
MEGO: My Eyes Glazed Over.
LANO: Lights Are Not On.
(or) LOBNAH: Lights On But Nobody At Home.
IBM: I Blame Microsoft.
LOMBARD: Loads Of Money But A Real Dickhead.
NIMBY: Not In My Back-Yard.
HOLDEN: Heaps Of Little Dirty Engine Nuts.

Posted by neandergirl (# 8916) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:

[Killing me]

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

In the Cafe- brb: be right back

Posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege (# 10651) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Professor Kirke:
NB: nota bene -- Draws attention to something important. (That one took me forever to figure out.)

Yeah, that's a legit scholar thing (versus a computer thang!) and I've seen it used more commonly in the UK than here in the USA. Whatever that means. [Biased]

Posted by Ophelia (# 3136) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
quote:
Originally posted by Professor Kirke:

Yeah, that's a legit scholar thing (versus a computer thang!) and I've seen it used more commonly in the UK than here in the USA. Whatever that means. [Biased]
That us Brits are jolly good at the old school boy Latin, don't you know! Spiffing! [Razz]

Posted by Keren-Happuch (# 9818) on :

BTW: By the way
TIA: Thanks in advance (I don't know whether this is used on the Ship but I've seen it on other websites)

Posted by Foaming Draught (# 9134) on :

quote:

ITTWACW

You're just jealous 'cos you can't make cars

[ 27. October 2006, 10:19: Message edited by: Foaming Draught ]

Posted by Hazey*Jane (# 8754) on :

HTH - Hope this helps.

HTH

HJ

Posted by butler (# 11157) on :

quote:

FORD: Fix or repair daily [Biased]

Posted by Zorro (# 9156) on :

LOTUS:Lots of Trouble, Usually serious [Razz]

In the cafe-OIC is just as it sounds (Oh, I see.)

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

I just happened across ISTM (it seems to me), which I don't think has been mentioned yet.

Posted by the giant cheeseburger (# 10942) on :

quote:
Originally posted by butler:
quote:

FORD: Fix or repair daily [Biased]
No, it's Found On Rubbish Dump. You should know that!

Let's keep this thread limited to acronyms and slang that are commonly used here on the Ship. You can start a thread in Heaven if you want to discuss other, non-Ship-related, abbreviations.

Scot
Styx Host

Posted by Liturgy Queen (# 11596) on :

This one came up on the Mount Athos thread:

ITTTWAMA

[Ultra confused]

Posted by Leetle Masha (# 8209) on :

ITTTWAMA: I thought this thread was about Mt. Athos. Acronym was defined in brackets when it was first posted, but if you scroll quickly through entire thread, you'll see the background to the acronym.

M

[ 29. October 2006, 01:12: Message edited by: Leetle Masha ]

Posted by Liturgy Queen (# 11596) on :

Durrr! Didn't see that. [Hot and Hormonal] Quite appropriate for that thread, too.

Posted by Leetle Masha (# 8209) on :

Thanks, Liturgy Queen! [Smile] May all the threads you start flourish!

M

Could someone please tell me the precise intention behind YMMV (your mileage may vary...) . To someone ignorant of which garage it originally came out of, there seems to be more than one interpretation. Here are three (and a half):

1. You are driving a different model/taking a diffeent route (You may have other - equally valid - information.

2. Your car/chauffeur/driving skills may be less efficient than mine (which I prefer to trust).

3. Your odometer may have been interfered with (or, beggar the thought!......

3.5 You may be a used-car dealer, of course. (You've been economical with the truth to sell your POV)

Could someone please furnish (hopefully, reassuring) clarification?

[ 04. November 2006, 08:18: Message edited by: pimple ]

Posted by Papio (# 4201) on :

Doesn't it just mean that your experience, or your interpretation of the experience, might not be exactly the same as the person's you are addressing?

If not, than I am colossaler dunderhead than you, 'cos that is what i have always assumed but I haven't ver asked.

I recently used STFU - Shut The F**k Up.
and OTOH - On The Other Hand.

[ 04. November 2006, 12:18: Message edited by: Papio ]

Posted by Carys (# 78) on :

I have been known to use ILPDaRoOLJC for Incarnation, Life, Passion Death and Ressurection of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Eccles has varius like MPBoOLJC for Most Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Carys

Posted by Ann (# 94) on :

Eccles has a whole slew of long involved acronyms - I know one ended with SotA for Sacrifice of the Altar because I had to ask as that was where I got lost (I was alright up to there).

They have also had HLMQEtQM for Her Late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, although how she got dragged into Eccles, I don't remember.

Posted by frin (# 9) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I have been known to use ILPDaRoOLJC for Incarnation, Life, Passion Death and Ressurection of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
Carys

Given how much thought and effort goes into typing an acronym like that, one would think it almost as easy to include the phrase in full, unless one has a terror of commas or somesuch.

'frin

Posted by Carys (# 78) on :

quote:
Originally posted by frin:
quote:
Carys

Given how much thought and effort goes into typing an acronym like that, one would think it almost as easy to include the phrase in full, unless one has a terror of commas or somesuch.
Even typing fast as I do I can type the acronym in about half the time of the full thing (I just timed it out of curiosity!). It came out of a desire to emphasise the importance of the whole deal (as opposed to just the Crucifixion) in the Salvation event and this meant that I typed it more than once in the post.

Carys

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

quote:
Eccles has varius like MPBoOLJC for Most Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

No true denizen of Eccles would ever use that. It's MPBoOLASJC. (You left out And Saviour [and yes, BritSpell is required here].)

b.

Posted by Pure Sunshine (# 11904) on :

OK, call me naive, but here's a question I've been wanting to ask for weeks ...

Is GIN an acronym or are certain Shipmates simply so devoted to a particular drink that they spell it in CAPITALS (see Rossweisse's sig, for example)?

Posted by TonyK (# 35) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pure Sunshine:

Is GIN an acronym or are certain Shipmates simply so devoted to a particular drink that they spell it in CAPITALS (see Rossweisse's sig, for example)?

Since nobody better has come along to answer this, I will take it on myself to do so - though I am hardly qualified to answer it.

GIN is not an acronym in this context. It seems that certain people of a mainly Anglican persuasion (and, ISTM, high Anglican) consider GIN to be the correct vehicle for alcoholic refreshment, seemingly at every possible opportunity. I assume it is normally mixed with something (usually tonic water in my very limited experience!)

Personally I cannot understand the love for this spirit - the few times I have tried it, in various combinations, I have found it to be almost undrinkable, but perhaps the fault is mine and shows a poor education and deficient background.

There has been considerable discussion on many threads in the past - mainly on the Ecclesiantics Board - about the various makes of GIN, and how and where to drink it. This caused a level of despair to some of the hosts. IIRC, at one time there was a move to ban any mention of GIN, but wiser heads prevailed and mention of it has subsided to the present level of reference.

I hope this answers your question...

Posted by Pure Sunshine (# 11904) on :

Thanks, Tony. Now I'll know to avoid that weird Ecclesiantics crowd ... [Biased]

Posted by Manipled Mutineer (# 11514) on :

quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Sunshine:

Since nobody better has come along to answer this, I will take it on myself to do so - though I am hardly qualified to answer it.

GIN is not an acronym in this context. It seems that certain people of a mainly Anglican persuasion (and, ISTM, high Anglican) consider GIN to be the correct vehicle for alcoholic refreshment, seemingly at every possible opportunity. I assume it is normally mixed with something (usually tonic water in my very limited experience!)

Personally I cannot understand the love for this spirit - the few times I have tried it, in various combinations, I have found it to be almost undrinkable, but perhaps the fault is mine and shows a poor education and deficient background.

I hope this answers your question...

TonyK,

I think you'll find your mistake was in the manner of preparation; true Anglo-Catholic GIN is only ever drunk having first been filtered through an incensed cotta lightly rubbed with the zest of two limes. It makes all the difference.

quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
I think you'll find your mistake was in the manner of preparation; true Anglo-Catholic GIN is only ever drunk having first been filtered through an incensed cotta lightly rubbed with the zest of two limes. It makes all the difference.

MM
No, sorry. I don't think even your imaginative recipe could remove/cover up the 'orrible flavour.
Good try though - marks for effort.

Posted by Persephone Hazard (# 4648) on :

Horrible flavour? I'm shocked!

Come off it, Tony. Surely you've bought me enough GIN at enough Shipmeets by now...

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

May I suggest that the discussion of alcoholic beverages would be better conducted in Heaven?

Posted by mountainsnowtiger (# 11152) on :

IRL = in Real Life, and
RL = the afore-mentioned Real Life.

In the Cafe - WB = welcome back (usually after one's computer has been playing silly buggers with one's connection to the Cafe).

(Not a Ship one, but I once saw a funny discussion of how to explain RTFM to young children - the conclusion was that it should be translated as Read The Friendly Manual [Biased] .)

Posted by Ena (# 11545) on :

Thanks to all the people who've clarified stuff here - it's been really helpful. Just 2 questions:

What are TITSIIFIC and ITTWACW?

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

I can't think of the first one out of context but the second is our favorite "I this was a Christian Website!" (said seriously occasionally,) and frequently joked about by regulars.

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 66) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

They have also had HLMQEtQM for Her Late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, although how she got dragged into Eccles, I don't remember.

I was making fun of some of our other abbreviations.

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I can't think of the first one out of context but the second is our favorite "I this was a Christian Website!" (said seriously occasionally,) and frequently joked about by regulars.

It will match up even better with the acronym if the main verb is restored: "I thought this was a Christian website."

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
Could someone please tell me the precise intention behind YMMV (your mileage may vary...) . To someone ignorant of which garage it originally came out of, there seems to be more than one interpretation. Here are three (and a half):

1. You are driving a different model/taking a diffeent route (You may have other - equally valid - information.

2. Your car/chauffeur/driving skills may be less efficient than mine (which I prefer to trust).

3.5 You may be a used-car dealer, of course. (You've been economical with the truth to sell your POV)

I think it goes back to the 1970s in the US, when automobile manufacturers first started advertising what kind of gas mileage their cars got, and then tacked on the disclaimer "your mileage may vary." They were of course quoting mileage their cars got under ideal driving conditions, so put in the disclaimer in order to prevent being sued for false advertising. When someone on the internet says "YMMV" they're just saying they realize that others' experiences/opinions/whatever may very well be different from their own, and with good reason.

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

I concur, but was too lazy type what RuthW said.

[ 10. November 2006, 22:23: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

I'm embarrassed by not knowing what TITSIIFIC means because I'm pretty sure I once used it myself! Perhaps someone can fill n the gap:

"That is _ _ if I _ it correctly"

Very helpful!

Posted by Paul W. (# 1450) on :

quote:
I'm embarrassed by not knowing what TITSIIFIC means because I'm pretty sure I once used it myself! Perhaps someone can fill n the gap:

Very helpful!

You used it previously on this very thread. Unfortunately, it looks like that's the only place it occurs on the entire internet, according to Google. You didn't just make it up, did you? [Big Grin]

Paul W

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
I concur, but was too lazy type what RuthW said.

I was under the impression that I had already said it, but hey ho.

Posted by frin (# 9) on :

quote:

Very helpful!

I read it as 'that is to say if I follow it correctly'.

Not being able to read your own acronym some time later points to the problem of abbreviating - your readership may not be able to figure out what you are saying either.

'frin

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

Papio, your definition was serviceable, but it didn't ring the buzzer. RuthW's did by locating its origin in the 1970s. A definition without an etymology, or at least attestations, is rather like a play shovel sold for use at the beach: it simulates the form, but you can't do real work with it.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Doesn't it just mean that your experience, or your interpretation of the experience, might not be exactly the same as the person's you are addressing?

I gave the etymology because I think the definition is clearer with it, and because it's a rare bit of American understatement: the car manufacturers were saying "your mileage may vary" but we all damned well knew our mileage would vary a lot. So when someone says "YMMV," to me they're not saying your experience or interpretation might be different; they're saying they know it will be and are acknowledging that up front.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

I was making fun of some of our other abbreviations.
Yerrsss.... I think that might have been after I confused all and sundry with reference to the IoOILBMtEVQoH (Intercession of Our Immaculate Lady, Blessed Mary the Ever Virgin Queen of Heaven).

I've already apologised for that one and consider it unlikely to turn up again. UA1EFUI.*

* unless anyone else fancies using it

Posted by Zingara (# 12068) on :

Thanks Alan Cresswell for directing me here, it's really useful! [Smile]

Posted by Molopata The Rebel (# 9933) on :

OT = Old Testament

(amongst all the other acronyms it really took me a while to figure out that it didn't mean Originial Thought or something).
[Hot and Hormonal]

What does "Snap" mean? Here's a recent use. Does it have other meanings besides whatever it means there?

What does "I'll get my coat" mean?

Posted by ValS (# 11543) on :

According to an online slang dictionary, "Oh snap!" is a phrase uttered in disbelief when something bad happens.

Posted by Ham'n'Eggs (# 629) on :

NAHAY - New Around Here, Are You?
HAND - Have A Nice Day.

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

What does "I'll get my coat" mean?

It's a reference to The Fast Show. One of the characters played by Mark Williams used it as a catchphrase. He'd be in conversation with a group of people, say something far too honest and then say "I'll get me coat"

Tubbs

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

re 'Snap' - I always understood it to be an allusion to the card game of that name, where you shout 'Snap!' when a matching card shows up. In other words, when used online, I thought it meant 'my experience matches yours'.

My kids used to use "snap" IRL - it's when two people both say the same thing at the same time. In cyberspace it's used (at least here on the Ship) when two people crosspost with the same (basic) response to a post.

Posted by OliviaG (# 9881) on :

Someone once replied "Snap!" to me on another board, but at the time I thought what it meant was that I had "snapped" - I had just posted a pretty flamboyant screed in response to some pathetic chauvinist drivel. OliviaG

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

When I was a mere slip of a lad one said 'jinx' rather than 'snap'.

This is, of course, OT. As in 'off topic' as opposed to Old Testament which Molopata has correctly identified. NT stands for New Testament.

One occasionally comes across references to 'The Plot'. Which is what we call the Orthodox Church around here. More rarely one encounters references to the 'Italian Mission' or the 'Italian Mission to the Irish' which is a reference to the Catholic Church. Catholics occasionally respond with less than flattering nicknames for the Church of England which tend to fall flat because they aren't as funny. [Biased] The unwary should note that The Plot is offence-neutral whereas references to the Italian Mission tend to be construed as unfriendly.

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Catholics occasionally respond with less than flattering nicknames for the Church of England which tend to fall flat because they aren't as funny. [Biased]

Do we? What are they? An important part of my catechesis seems to be missing -- that's what you get for becoming a Catholic in America!

Thanks for the "get me coat" and "snap" explanations!

Snap! [Two face]

I'll get my coat. [Hot and Hormonal] [Big Grin]

Posted by The Great Gumby (# 10989) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
It's a reference to The Fast Show. One of the characters played by Mark Williams used it as a catchphrase. He'd be in conversation with a group of people, say something far too honest and then say "I'll get me coat"

Or just something generally embarrassing. Anything which you can imagine killing the conversation as everyone stares at you. On these boards, it mainly seems to be used by someone who's cracked a bad joke or made a geeky, pedantic correction. I seem to say it quite a lot... [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by redoubt (# 9354) on :

Can someone explain the use of the word bump, usually in brackets, <bump> . This is often the only word in the post. Maybe it's some web jargon I'm totally unaware of, but I cannot work out what it means.

One that even I can answer, redoubt.

It's to move the thread up to the top of the Board's first page - as in 'bump up'.

Often done in 'All Saint's' to get a shipmeet thread onto the first page.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

YMMV - thanks for that; although I couldn't alaways see how it fitted, I got it into my head that it might mean;

You Make Me Vomit

Posted by sanityman (# 11598) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

I think it goes back to the 1970s in the US, when automobile manufacturers first started advertising what kind of gas mileage their cars got, and then tacked on the disclaimer "your mileage may vary." They were of course quoting mileage their cars got under ideal driving conditions, so put in the disclaimer in order to prevent being sued for false advertising. When someone on the internet says "YMMV" they're just saying they realize that others' experiences/opinions/whatever may very well be different from their own, and with good reason.
Being a UKite (so not having met this disclaimer), and having first encountered it on Usenet in the late Precambrian, I'd understood it to be a reference to phrases like "I wouldn't go that far." i.e. "You may not go as far as that" becomes "Your mileage amy vary."

However, a peruse of the Jargon File suggests that I was mistaken. Thus dies a supposition which I've cherished for over 10 years. [Tear]

- Chris.

Posted by mmmerangue (# 12355) on :

My personal favourite Internet Abbreviations:

Lol, Lmao, Rofl and roflmao. that would be Laughing out loud, laughing my ass off, rolling on the floor and rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.

HF. this is my general ending to MSN convos, standing for HAVE FUN! which you all should do as regularly as possible.

wtf. what the fuck!

omg. Oh My God! Blasphemy in shorthand!

omfg. Oh My Fucking God!

l33t. Elite, used by hackers and has been stolen by what appears to be the whole world, means cool or amazing ... 1337

For a variety of random internet (and other) slang visit http://www.urbandictionary.com/ [Smile]

Posted by monkeylizard (# 952) on :

um...gee...thanks for that..

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

Come now, monkeylizard, surely it's good for us to know that we all look like a bunch of fucking imbeciles with absolutely no experience on the intertubes such that even the most basic and commonplace abbreviations need to be explained to us in moronically sparse detail.

Posted by Ham'n'Eggs (# 629) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mmmerangue:
My personal favourite Internet Abbreviations:

<snipped>

NAHAY?

Posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege (# 10651) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
YMMV - thanks for that; although I couldn't alaways see how it fitted, I got it into my head that it might mean;

You Make Me Vomit

eeep! I use YMMV with some frequency and the B62 reading would be quite different in intent!

"I'll get my coat" makes me think of the "Here's your hat, what's your hurry?" phrase, only directed at oneself. Kind of a "Don't let the door hit you on the way out--" phrase.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Is it just me but I think "I'll get my coat" predates Tubbs reference.

I am used to the phrase used slightly differently in phrases like "Time to get your coat", "Come on here's your coat" to basically mean "its time to leave".

So someone posting "I'll get my coat" is saying, right I know I have misread the situation, I'll leave this conversation to you guys.

Jengie

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Come now, monkeylizard, surely it's good for us to know that we all look like a bunch of fucking imbeciles with absolutely no experience on the intertubes such that even the most basic and commonplace abbreviations need to be explained to us in moronically sparse detail.

Shut up you depraved pagan-worshiping heathen maple leaf rag piece of maple sap! Some of us ARE in need of that explanation! I did not know all of them. I do avoid knowing them since I enjoy being a pollyana. I hope you appreciate the love I just shared with you, hockey puck. I know you feel all warm and tingly inside now.
[Axe murder]

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
... I know you feel all warm and tingly inside now.

Given that your response was the longest delayed come-back in the history of the Ship (2 months+), his tingly warmth may be a bit subdued.

oh crap. I just noticed that. [Hot and Hormonal]
I suck.

[eta: thanks for opening my pollyana eyes to that one, Steel-plated man!]

[ 21. April 2007, 20:02: Message edited by: duchess ]

Not to mention that RooK's currently on shore leave.

He's not viewing the ship at all? (Browsing)?

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

Einstein said something about thinking remembering lots of trivia (like how many feet in a mile) wasn't useful. I mean, you can look it up, why clutter your brain with that stuff?

SO go ahead and don't worry about all the esoterica of the Web-Ites. You don't know what an abbrevation is, just look it up. Or ask folks, People love to feel needed and smart and stuff like that, because they can teach you something.

Some stuff has two meanings anyway, yes?

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
I mean, you can look it up, why clutter your brain with that stuff?

Because indexed sequential is faster than random access.

Posted by bonabri (# 304) on :

Finally I can stop torturing myself trying to work out what ETA means.

Next I will have to work out how to edit I suppose..

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:

No, I'm back from Kauai now.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ValS:
According to an online slang dictionary, "Oh snap!" is a phrase uttered in disbelief when something bad happens.

More on "snap"

Couldn't find it on UD, but I have also seen it used as a noun to indicate an insult, usually directed at somebody's female family members, but a really cutting insult in general. Also as a verb to describe the act of insulting somebody thusly.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:

No, I'm back from Kauai now.
Watch out or I'll put Sheep 3 in Hell and let her *plop* all over the place. [Razz]

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Other cafe acros (incl some already mentioned):

wb = welcome back
ty = thank you
np = no problem
oic = oh i see
brb = be right back

brb can also be used as an adjective -- "So-and-so is brb." I never see "afk" (away from keyboard) anymore.

Also if you get kicked off, when you come back people may offer you a towel, the idea being that you fell overboard (into the sea) and are therefore wet and cold.

[ 23. May 2008, 00:02: Message edited by: mousethief ]

Posted by Lydia (# 12161) on :

Why do some people's names have an asterisk at the end? Does it mean anything, or do they just choose to add it when they choose the name? Why does Sine exist in two incarnations: Sine Nomine* and Sine Nomine?

Thanks,
Lydia

quote:
Originally posted by Lydia:
Why do some people's names have an asterisk at the end? Does it mean anything, or do they just choose to add it when they choose the name? Why does Sine exist in two incarnations: Sine Nomine* and Sine Nomine?

For some people, the asterisk is an affectation.

In Siné's case, though, it's because he bought himself a new membership with a fashionably low member number at the Ship's action a while back. His higher-number/less-cool account was then altered to have the asterisk at the end so that his new account could have his regular name. There are a few other member number auction winners as well, so there should be more instances of versions with an asterisk name place-holder.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

The other reason that some people may have an asterisk in their name is because they changed their name several times in succession (during one of the name change amnesties) then decided to go back to their original name after all - but the software would not allow the name to be reused so soon (or something like that) so they ended up using an asterisk to differentiate the new name from the old name which was not allowed. I seem to recall that for some of these people, come the next amnesty, they were finally able to shed the unwanted asterisk.

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

Which is why you should think long and hard about making name changes. In order to faciliate this extended process, our beloved Community Editor, the blessed Erin, gives us plenty of time between amnesties to ponder our choice.

She's very thoughtful and considerate about such things.

Posted by Lydia (# 12161) on :

I just remembered I posted this question weeks ago, and then life got busy and I forgot to come back and look for the answer.

So a very belated thank you to RooK and Gracious Rebel. [Hot and Hormonal]

Lydia

Posted by PhilA (# 8792) on :

Could someone please tell me what TEC means?

Posted by Peter Owen (# 134) on :

The Episcopal Church (of the USA).

Posted by Padre Joshua (# 13100) on :

For the newbies, or other interested parties:

AC - Anglo-Catholic
CofE - Church of England
ECUSA - Episcopal Church in the USA (now TEC)
ELCA - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
ELCC - Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada
LCMS - Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod
PCUSA - Presbyterian Church in the USA
PCC - Presbyterian Church in Canada
RC - Roman Catholic Church
RCA - Roman Catholic Church in America
TEC - The Episcopal Church (US)
UC, or UCA - Uniting Church of Australia
UCC - United Church of Christ (US)
UCCan - United Church of Canada
UMC - The United Methodist Church (US)

That's all I can think of, at the moment.

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
For the newbies, or other interested parties:
<snip>
That's all I can think of, at the moment.

CC(DOC)= Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
SBC = Southern Baptist Convention
URC = United Reform Church (UK based)
coC = churches of Christ (lower case intentional)
LDS = Latter Day Saints (Mormons)
JW = Jehovah's Witnesses

I get the feeling that if we were to try to list the acronyms of every different church group in the world then we'd a) have a very long list and b) miss a lot out.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

So what was (where was [Paranoid] ) this thread doing between Gort, (23 April 2007) and Bonabri (21 May 2008)? That's even longer than Duchess' snooze.

Posted by PhilA (# 8792) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
So what was (where was [Paranoid] ) this thread doing between Gort, (23 April 2007) and Bonabri (21 May 2008)? That's even longer than Duchess' snooze.

I'm a slow reader. So sue me.

Many thanks for the definition, Peter Owen and Padre Joshua.

Posted by joris2 (# 11137) on :

Somehow I suspect it may be dangerous to ask, but what does TICTH stand for?

Posted by rosamundi (# 2495) on :

quote:
Originally posted by joris2:
Somehow I suspect it may be dangerous to ask, but what does TICTH stand for?

Today I Consign To Hell.

E.g. TICTH whoever gave me bloody swine flu. First nice day in quite a while and I'm stuck inside.

Posted by joris2 (# 11137) on :

quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
[QUOTE]E.g. TICTH whoever gave me bloody swine flu. First nice day in quite a while and I'm stuck inside.

Thank you.

And in case your example reflects your actual condition, I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Posted by Grits (# 4169) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
coC = churches of Christ (lower case intentional)

Most of us actually do "CofC" when we're abbreviating, but I usually do type "church" in lower case when spelling it out.

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

Apart from the specialised religious abbreviations (MBS, OL&SJC, etc), are there any Ship acronyms that people think are actually unique to the Ship, as opposed to being rather standard internet forum usage, e.g. BTW, OTOH, IMO, etc?

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
are there any Ship acronyms that people think are actually unique to the Ship

ITTWACW?
SotS?
DH?
TnT? (though that one hasn't been around for a long while!)

OK Marvin...what's SotS and TnT?

I seem to think SotS would be "Star of the Sea", but can't recall what that means. An alternate name for the Orthodox Church, perhaps?

[ 29. July 2009, 17:13: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

TnT was a board for discussing all things to do with sex - yep, really. It was called Let's Talk Tits'n'Testicles.

Before the Ecclesiantics board was formed, there were two areas where worship was discussed, one which tended to be very high church and the other which was for alternative worship type stuff. I suggested the name for the combined board should be 'Let's Talk Tat'n'Tealights', but sadly the Powers That Be didn't go for it... [Biased]

Is GLE (Good Little Evangelical) unique to the Ship?

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

I've seen TnT on various Driving Instructor discussion boards, but it means something different there!

GLE I think is unique

quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
I seem to think SotS would be "Star of the Sea", but can't recall what that means. An alternate name for the Orthodox Church, perhaps?

It's the private board for Orthodox and Catholic shipmates.

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
TnT was a board for discussing all things to do with sex - yep, really. It was called Let's Talk Tits'n'Testicles.

That board has a fond place in my heart, as it was the one on which my first ever post was made [Smile]

I'm sentimental about TnT too - it was my first hosting gig. There was some freaky shit posted on that board.

Posted by Jolly Jape (# 3296) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

GLE I think is unique

Well if it is original (and it may well be), it certainly isn't unique. In fact, in the circles in which I move, it's quite common shorthand for a particular type of Christain, typically a woman in her early thirties with tee-shirt, knee length trousers, short hair, little rucksack on back....you know the sort of thing.

Posted by rosamundi (# 2495) on :

DH isn't unique - it means "dear husband" on most boards I frequent.

And, as a lay Dominican, I occasionally get a bit confused by people referring to "the OP*."

*Post-nominal letters for the Dominicans, the Ordo Praedicatorum, Order of Preachers.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:

It's not always "dear."
[Biased]

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:

Never heard if it before your posting here!

Ah yes. SotS. I forgot about the private boards.

And now that you defined TnT, I remember it. I saw it a few times when popping in from extended shore-leave. It was ermm...interesting

Thanks.

Posted by Organ Builder (# 12478) on :

I've seen the "DH" or "DP" for "D___ Husband" or "Partner" elsewhere--especially on the E.F. Benson Yahoo Group (although they seemed to self-destruct in a fit of pique last week).

DH for "Dead Horse", however, must be peculiar to the Ship.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Yes, I know of DH for Dear/Darling/Damn Husband, and DBF, DP, DS, DD correspondingly. They happen a lot on very chatty, bloggy sites where people post threads with names like "Oh no, I burned the toast again!"

(Affectionate spoofing there, BTW, I'm an active member of one of these.)

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

Thanks for that MVDF!

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

We certainly do, we have duplicates, most can be sorted by context but

UCC = United Church of Christ
and
UCC = United Church in Canada

can be confusing as I found to my cost. It is not helped that UC can also be Unitarian Church although they do use UUC=Unitarian and Universalist Church and in England are officially ULCC = Unitarian and Liberal Christian Church.

Jengie

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

I may have overlooked these, but I don't think they've been mentioned on this thread:

ABC - Archbishop of Canterbury
BVM - Blessed Virgin Mary
PSA - Penal Substitutionary Atonement (I introduced this acronym in a seminary class a couple years ago, and everyone was really grateful for it!)

Not acronyms, but shorthand:
Piskie - an Episcopalian
congo - congregation

And a couple more church acronyms that perhaps don't get used much here:

AoG or (as I've always used it) A/G - Assemblies of God
AME - African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME Zion being a different but related denomination)
CME - Christian Methodist Episcopal
MBC - Missionary Baptist Church

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

I thought Star of the Sea was one of Mary's titles in the Litany of the Virgin Mary. Actually that one is Morning Star. For Star of the Sea - Stella Maris - see

http://www.stellamaris.net/ourlady.php?s=1

Of course, SoS could, in a different context, refer to a

soddin' old scumbag. [Biased]

[ 11. September 2009, 16:15: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

Sorry to double post, but I've just unearthed an old Roman Missal in which can be found the old Latin hymn Ave Maris Stella - Hail, Star of the Sea

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

The Cajun connection

Posted by toaster (# 14811) on :

I might be just showing my ignorance here, but I just wondered what people meant when they refer to 'flood control'.

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

Flood control is the time limit on how soon you can make a second post after the first one. It keeps people from flooding the boards with messages. A read through the History of the Ship thread will show you why it was added.

The software here includes a control that means that you can't make a post within 2 minutes of another post. This is designed to prevent a spammer flooding the boards with junk ... needing to wait at least 2 mins at least slows the down and gives the admins a chance to ban them before too much trouble is caused. "Flood control" is a very apt description.

And, it doesn't prevent multiple people flooding the boards with multiple messages saying basically the same thing!

Posted by toaster (# 14811) on :

Great, thanks for clearing that up Carex and Alan. Thought it was probably something like that but didn't realise it was part of the software.
Thanks again.

quote:

IBM: I Blame Microsoft.
[/QB]

Don't we all?

[Killing me]

[ 09. January 2010, 12:20: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

*bump*

because someone asked about it

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

A digression but an informative one: at All Saints Margaret Street in the licensed bar a single gin and tonic is known as "a protestant" and a double G&T is called "a catholic". JTYLTK (just thought you'd like to know).

Bump

WWED = What Would Erin Do.

I'm sure that you can work out what WTFWED stands for without my help. [Biased]

Tubbs

Posted by scuffleball (# 16480) on :

quote:
Originally posted by redoubt:
Can someone explain the use of the word bump, usually in brackets, <bump> . This is often the only word in the post. Maybe it's some web jargon I'm totally unaware of, but I cannot work out what it means.

It's slang peculiar to chatrooms whose chats are listed according to the last person who spoke in them. If someone thinks their message has been insufficiently responded to, they say nothing but "bump," to bump it up to the top of the list, as it were. If done wrongly it can seem a bit rude.

P.S. other slang peculiar to the ship (or at least, that people outside the ship find confusing) -

MOTR - middle of the road
AffCath - Affirming Catholic/Catholicism
The Candle/The Altimetre - How "high" or "low" a church is
(whence "climbing/descending the candle," "high up the candle" &c)
PBC - prayer-book Catholic

Also, for English people, BCP doesn't automatically mean that of 1662 on the ship.

[ 03. September 2011, 22:22: Message edited by: scuffleball ]

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:
Originally posted by scuffleball:
[QUOTE

P.S. other slang peculiar to the ship (or at least, that people outside the ship find confusing) -

MOTR - middle of the road
AffCath - Affirming Catholic/Catholicism
The Candle/The Altimetre - How "high" or "low" a church is
(whence "climbing/descending the candle," "high up the candle" &c)
PBC - prayer-book Catholic

Also, for English people, BCP doesn't automatically mean that of 1662 on the ship.

I keep seeing PCC where it can't possibly mean The Presbyterian Church in Canada. Is it Anglicanese for something?

Most commonly it will be Parochial Church Council

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Ah, but for those in the know it is a particularly celebrated species of tram (streetcar).

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Ah, but for those in the know it is a particularly celebrated species of tram (streetcar).

I should have known that - thank you. Not only that, the same initials belonged to a company in the same business just up the road from here. Given local demographics, their people would likely have been Lutheran rather than the other PCC.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
WWED = What Would Erin Do.

I'm sure that you can work out what WTFWED stands for without my help. [Biased]

Tubbs

Perhaps WRFIWEU = What Rusty Farm Implement Would Erin Use?

[Two face]

© Ship of Fools 2016