Thread: Shipmates' Gallery Board: The Styx / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002167

Posted by Melon (# 4038) on :

As you know, we have been working on an official Ship version of Gort's shipmates' photo site. We expect this site to go live in the next week or so.

As Gort mentioned here, we have started with the photos that originally featured on his website, some of which were cropped from shipmeet group photos. This is the last call for those who would like to have their photo removed from the site before it goes live. A revised list of shipmates with photos on the site appears at the bottom of this post.

You also just about have time to have your photo included on Day One, or to submit a more recent photo. From the Gallery guidelines:
quote:
How do I get my photo added to the gallery? Contact Gort, Guardian of the Ship Photos.

What format of photo should I send? Ideally, a jpeg about 400 pixels wide and between 400 and 600 pixels deep. The previews are small and generated automatically, so, if you want to be recognisable at that scale, go for a "head and shoulders" shot.

Hey, I have this great photo of my neighbour/ dog/ house/ a really neat traction engine I saw at a steam fair. We are really happy for you, but the idea of the Gallery is to display photos of shipmates.

I want to post my photo for shipmates to see, but I don't want to end up in Google. You should be ok, because only registered users can view the web pages, but note that this is not military-grade protection, and all bets are off if another shipmate decides to link to or copy the photos. In other words, don't post anything that really mustn't get into the public domain.

List of shipmates with photos in gallery: A Feminine Force, A Random Ordinand, Acca, A.F. Steve, aj, Alan Cresswell, Alaric the Goth, Amanda B. Reckondwythe, Amorya, Ancient Mariner, Ann, Arabella Purity Winterbottom, Archimandrite, Arleigh, Astro, auntie di, Auntie Doris, babybear, Balaam, Barnabas62, Basket Case, Beautiful_Dreamer, Belisarius, birdie, butler, Carys, Catrine, Caz..., Charles Read, chasee#1, ChastMastr, Chimakwa, ChrisT, Clarence, Clint Boggis, comet, Corpus cani, cqg, craigb, Craigmaddie, Custard., daisymay, dalej42, da_musicman, Dee., duchess, dyfrig, Evensnog, Fiddleback, fight-club for the soul, Fishngrl, Flausa, fnk, Foaming Draught, frin, girl130, Gort, Gremlin, Grits, Gwai, hatless, Hazey*Jane, Ian Climacus, imagin8or, infinite_monkey, IngoB, Iole Nui, Izzybee, Jack the Lass, Jahlove, JB, Jengie Jon, JillieRose, jlg, John Holding, Jolly Jape, Jonah the Whale, Josephine, Karl: Liberal Backslider, Kelly Alves, ken, KenWritez, Kepler's Puppet, Keren-Happuch, Late Paul, Legodude_uk, les@BALM, Linguo, Littlelady, lsnduck, -lucy-, Lumpy da Moose, Lynn MagdalenCollege, Mad Geo, madteawoman, Mamacita, Manda, Manipled Mutineer, Marvin the Martian, Max., McChicken, Melon, mirrizin, MouseThief, Mr Clingford, MrSponge2U, MSHB, muchafraid, Mudfrog, nephron, Never Conforming, Nicodemia, Nicolemrw, Niėnna, noneen, Nunc Dimittis, Nutmeg, obble, Ophelia, Orb, ozowen, Papio, Paul W., pease, Pegasus, PeteCanada, Peter Owen, PhilA, Piffany, Pānts, Professor Kirke, Pure as the Driven Yellow Snow, ReginaShoe, Revelle, Ricardus, RooK, Roseofsharon, Rowen, Roxanna, rugasaw, Sacristy Rat, Saint Bertelin, samara, Sarum Sleuth, saysay, Schroedinger's cat, Scooby-Doo, Shoehorn with Teeth, Simon, Sinistęrial, Sir Kevin, S'Lo, snowgoose, Spiffy da WonderSheep, Spike, SteveTom, strathclydezero, Stumoo, talexa, teddybear, Teen Jesus, The Great Gumby, The Machine Elf, The Man With No Name, The Revolutionist, The_Lilith_Adams, Thurible, Tigglet, Timothy the Obscure, Trudy Scrumptious, Tubbs, Ultracrepidarian, Ultraspike, Vikki Pollard, Wairua, Wannabe Heretic, Welease Woderwick, Wet Kipper, whitelodge, Wood, Ye Olde Motherboarde, Zeke

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

I've updated my profile with an email address for information on the gallery, sending photos or removing them. I don't mind cropping photos to a uniform size for each shipmate's gallery page, if you're unfamiliar with graphics editing. I had to reduce many of the originals so that they looked good within the new borders and page graphics.

Also wanted to add: When the gallery opens and you check out your own photo, take note of the "edit profile" button which can be used to add a descriptive banner under your mugshot!

See you soon!

[ 07. December 2006, 01:51: Message edited by: Gort ]

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

I'm happy to have my pic up there, but is there any way to see it before it goes upo to make sure I like it?

I'll PM a link for you, Spike.

Oops.. your inbox is full, you popular guy!

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I'm happy to have my pic up there, but is there any way to see it before it goes upo to make sure I like it?

I'm going to remove it till I have confirmation, Spike.

Oops. I've cleared some space now.

The Shipmates' Gallery is now live. We hope you enjoy it.

Please post your questions or problems concerning the gallery here (but do read the FAQ first).

[ 13. December 2006, 14:18: Message edited by: Melon ]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Wow! Many thanks to Gort and Melon and anyone else who helped pull this together!!!
[Overused]

Posted by Scooby-Doo (# 9822) on :

It is great to be able to put faces to names. Thanks to Gort and all who helped put the gallery together.

Posted by The Man With No Name (# 10858) on :

It's amazing! Thanks Gort, Melon and anyone else who did the hard work.

Aren't we all gorgeous??

Posted by Pānts (# 999) on :

[Waterworks] Is it just me... it says...
quote:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, admin and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

The left-hand menu on all bulletin board pages now has a "Gallery" item, for ease of use. If you don't normally see the Ship's left-hand menu when you're using the boards, this is one more good reason to use the correct address. Here's the URL for the boards complete with the left-hand menu, ready to bookmark...

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/

Posted by pease (# 6) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pānts:
[Waterworks] Is it just me... it says...
quote:
Internal Server Error...

Umm - it could be that infamous ā...

Posted by Izzybee (# 10931) on :

Excellent!

Great work, everyone.

The "comments" field - is that a comment that will be displayed with the picture, so it shows to everyone who views it? In case of nasty comments, will we be able to have them deleted?

I guess I'm more paranoid than I thought...

quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
The left-hand menu on all bulletin board pages now has a "Gallery" item, for ease of use. ...

Nope. Maybe I need to clear something to make it appear.

Pease... presumably you have to be logged in to see the gallery, so I can't check it to see if it works by logging out and looking?

[spiggin code!]

[ 13. December 2006, 16:29: Message edited by: Pānts ]

(Ah, crap, just like IRL, I speak before I think, I do it online too!! I can see the 'gallery' on the left, I wasn't looking properly!! [Roll Eyes] )

OK - Pānts, can you try again?

Nup, still doesn't like me!

Hmm ... ah!

Well, I know what the problem is, but it needs a bit more of a fix - we'll have to get back to you on that one I'm afraid...

Posted by Quizmaster (# 1435) on :

Ooooooo .... I could have a page all to myself.

Me? [Ultra confused] All Alone? [Waterworks]

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

quote:
The left-hand menu on all bulletin board pages now has a "Gallery" item, for ease of use. http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/

I have the left-hand menu, but it does not have 'gallery' listed. I have tried Simon's link, and it still isn't there. I have logged off, and logged back on - no difference.

I can see the gallery from Melon's link, but that'll be no help when that post is pages away.

The joy of frames... Try ctrl-reload (ie ctrl-F5 or ctrl plus the recycle icon). If that doesn't do it, try clearing your browser's cache.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

Gallery is listed here, between "Who's What?" and "FAQs". You could have a menu bar that's loading from a cache, in which case it'll appear whenever the cache is updated.

Melon and Alan C.
You just need to know...I haven't got a clue what you are talking about, I just switch on and click on SoF on my Bookmarks bar. It took me 4 attempts to get back onboard after I'd logged out!

Switch on, click on SoF on your Bookmarks bar, then hold down the control key and press the F5 key.

quote:
Originally posted by Izzybee:
... The "comments" field - is that a comment that will be displayed with the picture, so it shows to everyone who views it? In case of nasty comments, will we be able to have them deleted?

Read the FAQs for details but basically all comments will be displayed under your picture along with the enamoured poster's name...so be nice! I can edit any offensive stuff at your discretion or mine. Just PM and I'll have a look-see as soon as I can.

Remember to check out the "edit profile" button which will only appear with your picture. You can display a blurb banner with it.

It 'sposed to be for fun, shippies! Enjoy!

Thanks again for all your work, Melon! [Biased]

[ 13. December 2006, 19:04: Message edited by: Gort ]

Cartoons and general tweaking of the layout by Simon, wacky server config and hunting down of UBB gnostic secrets by Pease.

Pānts - can you have another go (you're our top-bit tester at the moment!).

Assuming you don't get the error, it might say you're not logged in even though you are...

Posted by Jon J (# 11091) on :

Many thanks to Gort and Melon for all your hard work in getting this together. Its really enhanced the 'Ship of Fools' experience. Many thanks again.
[Overused]

I shut down the computer, did this:
quote:
Originally posted by Melon:
Switch on, click on SoF on your Bookmarks bar, then hold down the control key and press the F5 key.

- still no 'gallery' in the menu on the left.

Posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege (# 10651) on :

This is so, so cool! thank you, thank you, thank you (Gort, Simon, Melon, Pease - everybody who worked on it). I did notice that I cannot use an apostrophe in a comment - now, I do not know if my computer has gone quietly mad (I cannot do it, either - thus the more "formal" tone) or it has something to do with site-tweaking... FWIW.

Thanks again! [Big Grin]

Roseofsharon - try clicking on the "Bulletin Boards" link in the left-hand menu.

Apostrophes work for me - see my post for pease's photo. What sort of error do you get?

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

Roseofsharon - perhaps the sidebar is being treated like an image, stored in your cache. If you delete your internet cache and then reload the forum pages, it should then pop up in the new image

Posted by fight-club for the soul (# 11098) on :

Fantastic work, Gort and Melon. Cheers.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

What a distinguished-looking Crew!

So far, anyway......

Ian J.

quote:
Originally posted by pease:
Pānts - can you have another go (you're our top-bit tester at the moment!).

Assuming you don't get the error, it might say you're not logged in even though you are...

You star!!! I'm in! Thanks. I'll look in more detail tomorrow! [Big Grin]

Hey, I love mine. I look 5 years younger [Big Grin]

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

Thank you everybody. What a great job!

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

This is brilliant! Many thanks to all involved - I'll have to find my camera for my 15dpi of fame.

It's also made me realise how much I associate the avatars with the personality of posters, I couldn't believe KenWritez doesn't actually look like Ned Flanders!

quote:
Originally posted by pease:
Roseofsharon - try clicking on the "Bulletin Boards" link in the left-hand menu.

did that, also tried 'full menu'-no joy!

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
If you delete your internet cache

As a fully signed up computer-illiterate technophobe, I need to ask...What's that?

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

If you use IE try Tools> Internet Options> delete files.

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
If you delete your internet cache

As a fully signed up computer-illiterate technophobe, I need to ask...What's that?
A cache is a store of files on your computer (occasionally, especially in an office with a central internet server and fast intranet, there could be a cache on a server). It's there to speed up internet access, if the page your accessing is the same as the one in your cache it doesn't need to be loaded again. What appears to be happening is that your computer is failing to notice that the copy of the menu bar it has is different to the new version, and it's using that version rather than the correct one.

The simplest solution is to empty your cache, ie: delete the file it has forcing it to load the new one. If you're using Internet Explorer, select "Internet Options..." from the Tools menu and then in the "Temporary Internet Files" section of the General tab click "delete files".

Posted by JonahMan (# 12126) on :

Hitting the Refresh icon is even easier (this worked for me anyway). I'm using Firefox, where the icon is two arrows swirling round each other; I can't exactly remember what it looks like in Internet Explorer but I think it is similar.

As far as I know, clicking Refresh forces the browser to reload the page from the webserver rather than using a cached version, so should do the trick.

Jonah

[edited to put similar instead of simpler. Are my fingers secret Microsoft fans?]

[ 14. December 2006, 16:13: Message edited by: JonahMan ]

Caches are a bit of a pain. I've recently upgraded to Firefox 2, and sometimes it just won't look for a new stylesheet whatever I do. IE used to be absolutely terrible in this respect, but has improved. You can set options somewhere so that IE will check for a new version of the file every single time (at the cost of slightly more traffic - it won't actually download the file again unless it has changed). The really bad caches are the ones your ISP sticks on its transparent proxies - there's really very little you can do about them.

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

I was having a good hair day that day. Glad you retained that photo, Gort. My glasses I think make me look smart, all book-learned and stuff. I be the car librarian. [Angel]

I'm on an iMac, using Safari, and have just spotted a curly arrow in the top left-hand corner.
I'd never clicked on that before...it turns out to be my reload button. I now have 'Gallery' in the menu.

Thanks for your forbearance!

Posted by Left at the Altar (# 5077) on :

Nice job, chaps.

I think Gort still has my photo somewhere, which I'm happy to have added.

Posted by Corpus cani (# 1663) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
I think Gort still has my photo somewhere, which I'm happy to have added.

Praise the Lord! Now I can renew my desktop; I can get rid of that stupid Trumpton picture and replace it with a photo' of some worthwhile totty.

On the downside: who's that balding old bloke in my picture? PeteCanada - have you been posing as me again?

Corpus

[Edited: I can do coherent English if I try. Honest.]

[ 15. December 2006, 01:39: Message edited by: Corpus cani ]

*Flutters eyelids*

You are such a flirt Cc. I can't remember how long ago it was that I was last classed as totty. Last century, at least.

[ 15. December 2006, 01:47: Message edited by: Left at the Altar ]

quote:
*Flutters eyelids*

You are such a flirt Cc.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrawwwwwwwwwwwww!
quote:
I can't remember how long ago it was that I was last classed as totty. Last century, at least.
Clearly, Antipodean gentlemen are slack in attending their ladies and are behind the times and, moreover, don't know how lucky they are.

Bastards.

Cc

Posted by My Duck (# 11924) on :

I must say its very nice to see some of the real shipmates.... why some of you look almost.... human!!! [Killing me]

We've been without power in my town for the last 18 hours, due to a big storm last night. This is just to let you know that I'll be a little slow posting any new pictures for awhile. (no one knows how long power will be out)

Meanwhile, have temp access from another office. It's propane light and fireplace heat at home for the duration!

Cheers,
Gort

Posted by Jahlove (# 10290) on :

Hope you are OK, Gort. Thanks (and Melon) for the photo gallery.

It was tough working out, but I've adapted the propane tank to the power supply on my computer. <wheeew> 26 hours without internet access from home! I felt like a meth addict with only 50 cents in his pocket.

Posted by FreeJack (# 10612) on :

Just as long as you don't start taking the propane as a meth substitute.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Minor detail, but I thought Fiddleback was no longer a shippie - if he's not still reading the ship he may not aware of the gallery but his picture's on it.

quote:
... I think Gort still has my photo somewhere, which I'm happy to have added.

I'm sorry, Leftie! I no longer have one of you. Will post another if you email it, though! [Cool]

[ETA: Correct me if wrong, but I thought Fiddleback had a 2-week suspension]

[ 16. December 2006, 20:37: Message edited by: Gort ]

Posted by Scot (# 2095) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Minor detail, but I thought Fiddleback was no longer a shippie - if he's not still reading the ship he may not aware of the gallery but his picture's on it.

Fiddleback currently has the same posting privileges as everyone else.

[ 16. December 2006, 22:14: Message edited by: Scot ]

Oh OK, my mistake.

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
quote:
... I think Gort still has my photo somewhere, which I'm happy to have added.

I'm sorry, Leftie! I no longer have one of you. Will post another if you email it, though! [Cool]

Done. But I accidently sent the wrong photo the first time. Sorry about that. (No one wants to see me in the nude, I'm sure [Razz] ).

[Eek!] [...breaks nail scrambling to open his in-box]

Posted by Paul W. (# 1450) on :

Suggestions:

- Is it possible to have a link to a person's profile from their photo page?

- If you're adding new people, or updating photos, could you do some sort of "What's New?" page to track changes? I realise this might cause you extra work, so I understand if you'd rather not.

Paul W

Posted by Foaming Draught (# 9134) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
Antipodean gentlemen

Tautology
quote:
Antipodean ...... Bastards
Oxymoron

Or is it the other way round, I forget.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:
Is it possible to have a link to a person's profile from their photo page?

I think that would be fairly easy
quote:
If you're adding new people, or updating photos, could you do some sort of "What's New?" page to track changes?
Yes, I plan to do this, but I'm waiting for the initial round of photo exchanges and photo retouching by Gort to calm down first, so that new pictures really are new pictures rather than yet another version of the old picture. At that point I'll wipe comments and gallery profiles whenever the picture changes too (although I suppose letting people change their photos while keeping the old comments could be quite entertaining).

Posted by Amie (# 8497) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:
Antipodean gentlemen

Tautology
quote:
Antipodean ...... Bastards
Oxymoron

Or is it the other way round, I forget.

You are correct FD. Although when I was a girl, we were taught "Nouns in Opposition" or something like it. Oxymorons? Who knew!

quote:
and photo retouching by Gort

While he's at it, could he reduce my image by a couple of stone please?

Yes, but I'm a little cagey about altering photos beyond sharpening or cropping to fit the page better.

I think your photo is just fine the way it is but I took your challenge just for fun. Would you like me to PM it or link here? [Big Grin]

quote:
Yes, but I'm a little cagey about altering photos beyond sharpening or cropping to fit the page better.

I think your photo is just fine the way it is but I took your challenge just for fun. Would you like me to PM it or link here? [Big Grin]

link here, give us all a laugh!

OK! Here it is! Please don't smack me too hard! [Biased]

Who is that strange woman wearing my clothes? [Help]

Give me back my flab, I think i'll risk the heart-attack [Eek!]

[Killing me] Me too! I'm quite comfortable as I am, thank you very much!

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:
- If you're adding new people, or updating photos, could you do some sort of "What's New?" page to track changes?

Till things are sorted out on the gallery, I'll list here.

Latest additions or updates:

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

I thought you all ought to have at least one more Admin photo to add to your dart boards.

Posted by Saint Bertelin (# 5638) on :

How dare you all not look the way I expected you to!

Posted by Wood (# 7) on :

Um, I wasn't reading the Ship when this kicked off. Would it be cheeky to ask if you could remove my picture?

Not at all! Consider it done.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

Oddly, with the missing link still hanging in the Gallery, it makes my comment all the more amusing. Temporarily.

It takes an hour for the script-gremlins to recognize my edit and re-write the thumbnail page. [or somesuch legerdemain]

Posted by Wood (# 7) on :

quote:
Not at all! Consider it done.

Much appreciated.

Today's additions or updates:

She's there! At last! My life is complete.
[Axe murder] Cc

Today's additions or updates:
I would like to thank everyone for participating in the gallery.

But I won't. [Snigger]

Is that really Erin...? (*whimper*)

Wow! I've had a flurry of submissions from some of the Hosts that we've had no pictures of!
Thanks, Hosts, for supporting my humble efforts at community! You are all lovely!

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

Nice pictures, guys!

Posted by Chelley (# 11322) on :

I had no idea just how gorgeous they all are!

Posted by Quizmaster (# 1435) on :

quote:
Ori***ally posted by Gort:
Wow! I've had a flurry of submissions from some of the Hosts that we've had no pictures of!
Thanks, Hosts, for supporting my humble efforts at community! You are all lovely!
Very good likenesses!

I recognise them all.

Crusading in Styx,
especially sans haiku,
makes me look foolish.

[ 23. December 2006, 00:30: Message edited by: Scot ]

Clear thy cache, young guitar player, and look upon the left hand frame in the main board page. There it is written "Gallery" for those who have eyes to see.

This is wonderful! The submissions keep rolling in. I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage other shipmates who haven't shared their photos to do so now!

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

I must search my files
Surely there is a picture
That won't scare most folks.

And glory shone around, and glory shone around.

I am so silly.
Arguing with an admin
will never end well.

[ 23. December 2006, 03:06: Message edited by: Scot ]

Pānts, with circumflex
accent, can now add comments
in the gallery.

Posted by Ham'n'Eggs (# 629) on :

There goes the neighborhood. [Disappointed]

Posted by Stevie Boy Wonder (# 11869) on :

Aah, so that's why my PM box has suddenly filled up with frankly filthy suggestions from female (and one or two male) Shipmates. Then again, I knew that once my chiselled features and sexy body were exposed to the world, I'd be fighting them off with a shitty stick...

And as for the unnamed Shippie who made the suggestion involving the riding crop, the chocolate sauce and the Times Educational Supplement... [Biased] you should be ashamed of yourself! (and then PM me again)

[ 23. December 2006, 14:03: Message edited by: Stevie Boy Wonder ]

quote:
Originally posted by Stevie Boy Wonder:
... And as for the unnamed Shippie who made the suggestion involving the riding crop, the chocolate sauce and the Times Educational Supplement...

That would be Jimmy B. He's been a bit odd since giving up the obsession with coots.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
[*]TonyK

TonyK is an Alaskan! He could be my neighbor!

rats.

missed edit window;
botched code there for all to see.
will admins kick ass?

(sorry)

Posted by Scot (# 2095) on :

Admins' mercy shines.
Code fuckers do not suffer
beyond mockery.

Posted by Mostly Noble Pixels (# 8783) on :

Can I ask why there is a picture, supposedly of me, which is not me, which I did not supply, which is about 30 years too young, and which looks like a drunken fart?
Hmmmmmm?

Probably the same reason you have a Teletubby for an avatar! Would you like to relace it with a more reasonable facsimile? [Snigger]

Groveling and supplication may encourage sympathy.

quote:
This is wonderful! The submissions keep rolling in. I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage other shipmates who haven't shared their photos to do so now!

Gort, I do soooo appreciate all your efforts on the Rogues' Gallery, but I'm concerned that you've mistakenly posted an erroneous pic for Ham'n'Eggs - here is the Genuine Article.

quote:
Probably the same reason you have a Teletubby for an avatar! Would you like to relace it with a more reasonable facsimile? [Snigger]

Groveling and supplication may encourage sympathy.

Relace it?
Have you been tying one on, nipping into the lickher already?
Bourbon makes metal rust, you know!

Bourbon? Pffft! Typical plebe. Not but the noble single-malt Scotch touches these titanium lips, Tinky-Winky.

Since you have failed to grovel properly, I must now invoke my editing power and correct the comment on your gallery page.

Nobody wants to hear about your use of single malt as an enema, tin man.
But with a with an acquaintance like you, who needs enemas?
In fact, who needs tea pots named Enema?

quote:
Originally posted by Mostly Noble Pixels:
Nobody wants to hear about your use of single malt as an enema, tin man.
But with a with an acquaintance like you, who needs enemas?

Honestly, Tinky, I haven't offered you a Scotch enema, but I'd be happy to perform laser surgery on your hemorrhoids. Let me put you on hold while I check my schedule...

Duchess submitted an update for her gallery photo and I reluctantly complied [S'truth!].

I'm not sure what possessed her. Maybe she's upset from not being chosen one of Ruth's Crusaders.

Posted by Jimmy B (# 220) on :

I got broken links
on your photos of duchess
and MNP, Gort.

[ 26. December 2006, 00:33: Message edited by: Jimmy B ]

Yeah, sorry, Jimmy. I removed all the H&A Days silliness listed here and here, including duchess' [photo of nearly nekkid obese woman munching cake]. She's going to send me a real update but hasn't yet.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

OK - if it isn't the first thing I load, the gallery crashes my browser (Firefox) every time. Any ideas why this might be?

ETA it never used to. It's only started doing this since the weekend.

[ 26. December 2006, 20:09: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Any error message?

Does it happen regardles of whether or not you're logged into the boards?

No error message as such, and yes, it still happens even if I'm not logged in to the boards. It tries to load the page, then I get the Dr Watson notification about encountering an error and it crashes.

Latest additions and updates:

[ 30. December 2006, 04:49: Message edited by: Gort ]

Posted by JonahMan (# 12126) on :

If it's any help (probably not) the Gallery loads fine for me in Firefox (version 1.5.0.9) under Windows XP.

Have you added any extensions or anything recently?

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

Thanks Gort [Smile]

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
OK - if it isn't the first thing I load, the gallery crashes my browser (Firefox) every time. Any ideas why this might be?

ETA it never used to. It's only started doing this since the weekend.

It must be me. My photo's too hideous for your browser [Waterworks]

[and my spelling's too hopeless for it too]

[ 31. December 2006, 02:21: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

Don't be silly, luvandaisies! If these latest additions and updates won't crash a browser, surely your lovely photo won't! [Big Grin]

Thanks, everyone, for participating! Keep them coming... don't be shy. I'm looking specifically at you brave folk on the new dating thread. [Biased]

quote:

Thanks, everyone, for participating! Keep them coming... don't be shy. I'm looking specifically at you brave folk on the new dating thread. [Biased]

Me too.
[Devil]

[ [Biased] ]

[ 09. January 2007, 04:06: Message edited by: duchess ]

Posted by KenWritez (# 3238) on :

Remember, everyone who posts a pic could win a FREE humorous comment by me! Post now, web servers are standing by!

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

That might almost be worth it right there, Ken!

Ruth, I think we need proof of concept from that strenuous, overseas hike last year.

How about it? [Biased]

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

quote:
Don't be silly, luvandaisies! If these latest additions and updates won't crash a browser, surely your lovely photo won't! [Big Grin]

Oi, I'm looking especially holy in mine... Thanks for adding it Gort!

DJO

quote:
Ruth, I think we need proof of concept from that strenuous, overseas hike last year.

How about it? [Biased]

Yes, I offered to donate to the Organ Fund but no result. It is a fine line between appearing as an abstractly interested connoisseur of the human form and... a lecher. So I'll be quiet and let someone else attempt the transaction.
[Angel]

quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Remember, everyone who posts a pic could win a FREE humorous comment by me! Post now, web servers are standing by!

Get 'em boy! Fresh pics!:

No pictures from the hike -- the developing people lost my film. Fuckers.

Attention on deck! Please welcome to the gallery:

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
No pictures from the hike...

A nice close-up portrait will do!

[shall I crop one from a SoCal shipmeet photo? [Biased] ]

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

Can you do pixelating with your software Gort? There is a picture of me that's more recent and very nice but it has DD in it and I don't want her appearing all over the web.

KenWritz, you will be pleased to know that I do have much longer hair [Razz]

Tubbs

Sure, Tubbs! It would be better if you have a single portrait, but I'll see what I can do.

I'm pleased to present, for your admiration and regard, our latest additions to the rogue's gallery:

[erm..forgot..the server won't register them for another 50 minutes]

[ 13. January 2007, 03:22: Message edited by: Gort ]

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

I've posted links to the gallery on the Dancing in Heaven thread. I am assuming this is OK since it links to a password-protected part of the Ship, but somebody was concerned that they might end up all over Google. Can someone in the know just reassure us that it's OK? Thanks.

JtW.

Check it yourself: log out, click the link from heaven and tell us what happens.

[ETA: Linking to a page should give you an error unless you are logged in. Linking to the photo itself will indeed take search engines to the photo in question.]

[ 13. January 2007, 15:32: Message edited by: Melon ]

Today's additions and updates:
Thanks, again, for your photos, everyone! I've tried to crop the photos so that they appear as portraits as much as possible. Remember that if you send a picture of your smiling visage within a large photo that includes too much landscape, it may result in a much smaller graphic (and relatively fuzzy) when I crop your portrait from the sample. Closeup single shots of just you are best! [Biased]

Posted by Littlelady (# 9616) on :

Thanks Gort! At least I don't look like I'm committing a violent act anymore ... [Smile]

You're very welcome, Littlelady!

Gallery afficionados, please give a warm welcome to:

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

I'm e-mailing a "less posh" mugshot, Gort. The present likeness is a bit "upmarket" cf my normal somewhat scruffier reality. Later today.

Posted by lazystudent (# 5172) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Littlelady:
Thanks Gort! At least I don't look like I'm committing a violent act anymore ... [Smile]

No, but I look like I'm contemplating one!

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I'm e-mailing a "less posh" mugshot, Gort. The present likeness is a bit "upmarket" cf my normal somewhat scruffier reality. Later today.

[beats feet to Gallery]

I seem to have a split personality. The thumbnail pic is my old one, but clicking on it shows the recent pic.

Posted by Viola (# 20) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I seem to have a split personality. The thumbnail pic is my old one, but clicking on it shows the recent pic.

I think it's your cache - or your cookies - or whatever it is that stops things updating properly - I see your new pic in the thumbnail and the real thing.

K.

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I'm e-mailing a "less posh" mugshot, Gort...

<checks email> Nope, nuthin' yet. [Biased]

Hey, the one he's got is just fine. [Cool]

Posted. My grandchildren like this one - cut out of another photo. The slightly "decapitated" effect makes them laugh.

Posted by J Whitgift (# 1981) on :

Will have to find a photo of myself ... ideally not one which says, 'I tried to take this myself (and failed badly)' [brick wall] .

Photo failed Gort's quality control - for which much thanks. Gent in dinner jacket remains in place pro tem.

B62, your pic of you in the dinner jacket is ideal! As they say on your planet, "ab fab." You look mightily distinguished in that costume. FWIW, my vote is you keep it.

quote:
Originally posted by J Whitgift:
Will have to find a photo of myself ... ideally not one which says, 'I tried to take this myself (and failed badly)' [brick wall] .

Personally I'm really fond of those "I took this picture myself!" photos (mine is one... I have a collection of them; I just wish the one I took at Stonehenge was better).

Sorry, Barny! I like your formally outfitted picture, too!

Maybe we should take a rogue's gallery vote. Here's a link to B62's updated photo! [Big Grin]

What say ye, shippies?

Posted by Jahlove (# 10290) on :

Like it - can we have 2 each?

Barnabas, I love ya and all, but let's keep the James Bond picture, please? The decapitated one is fun, but James Bond is definitely better!

quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
Like it - can we have 2 each?

Hmm.. I could make one graphic out of two photos, I suppose. They'd have to be closer in dimensions than B62's, though.

Here's one I combined of two esteemed shipmates in full regalia.

quote:

Shit, now everybody knows that KenwriteZ and I are twins since you've made it so blatantly obvious.

Re: B62's "new" pic-- pthbbbbh! It makes him look like a game show host! [Roll Eyes] I vote for "shaken, not stirred."

As for the 2 in 1 pic, who's that incredibly charming yet handsome gent in the pink antennae?

Now that your covers are blown, I suppose there's nothing left to do but slice it in half and post them in the gallery.

(My vote, if it's not too late) Like the fuller beard, but the floating head thing reminds me of Holly from Red Dwarf.

At night, she feeds by dark moonlight. The gallery is her new domain.

Gort

Kelly nailed it. Holly and Red Dwarf was exactly what I had in mind. But let "James Bond" stay - that's misrepresentation but a thousand times better than "game show host".

Posted by Birdseye (# 5280) on :

That picture actually scares me too. Maybe I should have gone with the one of me where I'm less monochrome and cuddling my little cat!...
Nah.

[ 26. January 2007, 08:44: Message edited by: Birdseye ]

Posted by babybear (# 34) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

Shit, now everybody knows that KenwriteZ and I are twins since you've made it so blatantly obvious.
And a devilishly handsome pair you make!

quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
quote:

Gort, I do soooo appreciate all your efforts on the Rogues' Gallery, but I'm concerned that you've mistakenly posted an erroneous pic for Ham'n'Eggs - here is the Genuine Article.
Not even close.

Here is the real deal.

"Callou, callay, oh frabjus day!" he chortled in his joy...

I've never seen a pig recite poetry before, but I swear this one does! Charming, although it doesn't make me drool quite as much as the other one... [Biased]

Edited to add that Chuck Kraft, this last weekend, in discussing the Gadarene demoniac, solemnly informed us that it was the first recorded instance of deviled ham...

[ 29. January 2007, 01:21: Message edited by: Lynn MagdalenCollege ]

Heh.

Warning - Not Work-Safe

Another variety of Kraft have a page dedicated to the conjugal act of two Shipmates.

That's all well and good, but do you plan to share the man behind the frying pan?

Posted by Jerry Myer (# 3904) on :

Something interesting when you look through the gallery...

There is a distinct male / female bias on the initial letter of peoples screen name. All the 'N's in the gallery are female, others are mostly male.

I know I am sad to have spotted it but it intrigued me.

Please give a warm welcome to our latest gallery addition:

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Myer:
All the 'N's in the gallery are female, others are mostly male.

It must be an "N" party!

:groan. I'll get my coat.

[Roll Eyes] :groan:

Posted by pooka (# 11425) on :

Oh dear! SS! [Roll Eyes]

For your consideration and regard, a most admirable update from our very own Alaskan board host:

Next under the spotlight, a fine figure of man:

An update which I have attempted to sharpen with Adobe [Biased] :
[please remember to reload pages that are cached]

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

Okay. I'm having a senior moment. Can someone remind me how to get to the friggin' gallery? (I want to ogle comet [Biased] )

click on "gallery" in the menu to your left.

(always happy to help an oogler)

you can comment on how gorgeous I am while you're there (Lord knows, no one else bothers [Waterworks] )

Posted by AdamPater (# 4431) on :

comet, I think you're lovely.

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
click on "gallery" in the menu to your left.

(always happy to help an oogler)

[Hot and Hormonal] D'oh!!!!! [Hot and Hormonal]

Off to ogle Comet and Lata ....

quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
comet, I think you're lovely.

[Big Grin]

this reminds me of the saying: "they said you weren't fit to eat with the pigs, but I defended you! I said you were!"

s'ok, AP. I think you're very intelligent and kind.

And LATA, of course, raises the bar on shipmate hotness. Even I want her.

[eta apostrophe. perfection is still just around the corner...]

[ 05. February 2007, 18:17: Message edited by: comet ]

Ah, my heart beats all of a flutter. I have ogled LatA and Comet and feel all faint. [Axe murder]

While you're all oogling, check out our latest addition:

quote:
you can comment on how gorgeous I am while you're there (Lord knows, no one else bothers [Waterworks] )

THAT'S A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only have I commented, but I've pondered and I've mused and I've dreamed and, frankly, I've drooled.

My new garden has very limited veggie bed space but considerable pond space. I'm just worried that Mr LatA might resurface later, and how terribly vulgar would THAT be?

Cc

I hear tell that the secret is replacing the viscera with large rocks, Cc.

don't ask the source of this information. you don't want to know.

quote:
I hear tell that the secret is replacing the viscera with large rocks, Cc.

don't ask the source of this information. you don't want to know.

Ummmmm. I suspect I could well be the source of this information.

Well, I've led a........ busy life............ and I have cousins who might be considered vaguely "gangster"-ish. [Eek!]

Cc

See what you made me do?

back to your regularly scheduled ogling...

quote:
THAT'S A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only have I commented, but I've pondered and I've mused and I've dreamed and, frankly, I've drooled.

My new garden has very limited veggie bed space but considerable pond space. I'm just worried that Mr LatA might resurface later, and how terribly vulgar would THAT be?

Cc

You never threaten to kill anybody FOR ME, never dug any plots for anybody (not that the one I was chasing wants me anyway, so maybe you would not have to dig a plot in your garden). But still, it is the THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS...You limey bastard! excuse me for a moment.
[Waterworks]

[edited can't type through my tears...]

[ 05. February 2007, 21:54: Message edited by: duchess ]

Oh my! Corpus, you little heart-breaker, you!

Ah, Duchess ... it may be poor compensation but I drool and whimper every night for you, howling in my pillow [Razz]

Zappa? Any chance of sharing your portrait between drooling and howling? There are several from shipmeets but I've tried to discipline myself from pillaging others webpages as of late. How about it? [Cool]

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Ah, Duchess ... it may be poor compensation but I drool and whimper every night for you, howling in my pillow [Razz]

But killing is out of the question. I doubt you'd even rough him up a little...I mean IF I were with somebody or something. But it just isn't the same, unless it's a celibate priest who's plotting.
[Frown]
[edited out awful possesive pronoun! Almost as bad as your instead of you're. <shudder>}

[ 06. February 2007, 03:29: Message edited by: duchess ]

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

quote:
See what you made me do?

back to your regularly scheduled ogling...

I'd rather ogle you than kill for you. . .

b. <no smileys here, nosirree>

quote:
Zappa? ... How about it? [Cool]

I'll work on it ... Poor Zeke needs a companion amongst the Zeds/Zees [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Oh my! Corpus, you little heart-breaker, you!

Ah, 'twas ever thus. Just something with which we raunchy love gods have to live.

Cc

Welcome to the gallery, a dedicated shipmate, (the tall, handsome, silent type) registered and lurking on the boards since May, 2004 with a grand total post count of zero!

Posted by chicklegirl (# 11741) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Zappa? ... How about it? [Cool]

I'll work on it ... Poor Zeke needs a companion amongst the Zeds/Zees [Razz]
About time. Dutch and I need to have a face to put with the drool ... [Cool]

[Big Grin]

Mm. Wot is the desirable dimensions in pixels for Gallery shots please?

[ETA: Remembered I'd read it somewhere and checked 400x 400-600, correct?]

[ 19. February 2007, 09:24: Message edited by: Jimmy B ]

The highest resolution portrait your camera can manage are best. If you're on a dial-up, just send me the sharpest one you can and I'll edit it. Otherwise, 400X400 is good.

My shipboard presence may be a bit erratic for the next couple of months. If anyone wishes to submit new photos and I miss your email, please mention it here or drop Melon or Simon a line. Thanks!

Posted by Gordon Cheng (# 8895) on :

Hope your health is OK, Gort.

I'm fine, thanks, Gordon. Just re-evaluating priorities in light of the...<erm> season.

Welcome to the gallery, starbelly!

Please welcome Sound Mixer to the gallery!

Have we finished the initial batch of photo updating and resizing? If so, do y'all want me to look at doing a 'new photos' page, or is it more fun reading Gort's announcements here?

Hi Melon! I've done all I can with my limited editing skills but there are still 22 portraits that are too small (dyfrig's for example) and others that are slightly out of focus, bad lighting, etc.

There doesn't seem to be a major ground-swell of support for a 'new additions' page, so it may not be worth the trouble coding.

BTW, UKCanuck is the latest addition to our rogue's gallery! Welcome!

The Scoob has been updated! Don't forget to "reload". [Biased]

quote:
I've done all I can with my limited editing skills but there are still 22 portraits that are too small

Editing detail that isn't there into a photo is difficult going-on impossible, whatever your skills [Smile]

Posted by Littlelady (# 9616) on :

quote:
There doesn't seem to be a major ground-swell of support for a 'new additions' page

Can't speak for anyone else, and fwiw, I keep my eye on this thread, just to see who's new.

Me too.

So do I.

Will be on vacation from 3/16 to 3/26 at the Columbia River Gorge.

Roadtrip! Time for a bit of R&R in the Winnebago! [Big Grin]

[actually back in Seattle for Zeke and Sir Kevin's shipmeet on 3/24]

Our dapper shipmate, Sine Nomine, has joined the gallery! Welcome!

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 66) on :

Grits made me do it.

Oooo... watch the hit counter go up as everyone runs to see him.

quote:
Originally posted by Pānts:
Oooo... watch the hit counter go up as everyone runs to see him.

How could we not! [Biased]

J Whitgift has dropped the shroud of anonymity and joined the gallery. Welcome!

Mama Thomas has joined the gallery from an idyllic south-sea island.

Nice hat and collar! [Biased]

For some reason, I can't load all of the Styx threads when logged-in; also missing are the second and third pages. The "Shipmates Gallery" thread is gone unless I view the first page while lurking. All three pages appear then. This problem doesn't happen on any other SoF boards.

If I "post reply" from the lurker state (as I'm doing now) the normal message window appears where I can enter login name and password.

When this first happened, I thought that Styx had been cleaned out so I started a "New Gallery Portraits here in All Saints. Sorry for the confusion. Perhaps someone could close this one?

[ 15. April 2007, 18:50: Message edited by: Gort ]

Posted by Sarkycow (# 1012) on :

quote:
Posted by Gort on the other thread:
Our most recent addition is ViolaWoman! Nice work VW and welcome to the Ship!

GoodCatholicLad has joined our Rogues Gallery!

Posted by Sarkycow (# 1012) on :

Gort I closed the other one - it made more sense to keep everything here.

Sarkycow

I'm pleased to announce that neandergirl has joined the gallery! Welcome!

the coiled spring has submitted a portrait for all to admire! Welcome!

Pearl B4 Swine is the latest shipmate to share a photo!

...And now the real Anselmina has revealed herself.

Good to see our latest smiling faces! Keep them coming shippies! Don't be shy! [Biased]

Chorister has also joined the gallery. Welcome!

Zappa has found time away from firefighting to share a photo! Welcome!

See how everyone runs to see the man in uniform! [Biased]

Now they can run to check out our latest gallery member: Welcome, Cusanus. [Big Grin]

Posted by neandergirl (# 8916) on :

Lovely grand!

Henry Troup, in bicycle gear, has pedaled into the gallery.

Another auburned-haired shipmate has joined the gallery! Welcome, rosamundi.

...and fnk has assaulted the gallery with a supersoaker 1500.

[ 09. June 2007, 06:21: Message edited by: Gort ]

Pānts has updated her photo! [Biased]

churchgeek and a furry friend have joined the gallery! Welcome to you both!

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

Thanks, Gort! The furry friend is Taffeta, my cat. (She looks a bit like my former roommate's cat Flannel, hence the fabric-inspired name. Said former roommate took the picture while visiting me here in CA.)

I did a lousy job photoshopping out the "red eye" on me, but didn't bother with the cat's eyes.

Permit me to introduce our latest gallery shipmate: Newman's Own! Welcome!

Living in Gin is displaying his favorite pastime in the gallery now. Welcome!

Join ReverendMike in the gallery for a fine cigar and mandolin music.

[a road trip on motorcycles later is optional]

Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard through artful legerdemain has transformed into a gallant knight of old. Welcome, Sir Martin!

Balaam has long been recovered from his auto accident and has updated his photo to reflect a more healthy visage.

thanks for doing this, Gort - whenever I notice new pics added I stroll over and grin [Big Grin]

Awwww! You're welcome. Melon did all the real work, I'm just the button-clicking monkey. [Smile]

New additions and updates welcome at any time, shippies! Just attach with email to "shipmates at wavecable.com"

"...and the monkey flips the switch--" [Big Grin]

Updated PeteCanada's photo by request!

quote:
Awwww! You're welcome. Melon did all the real work, I'm just the button-clicking monkey. [Smile]

But you click with such style and panache. Melon mutters to himself all the time...

My magic monkey fingers have just posted Call Me Numpty to the Gallery. Welcome, Numpers!

Lyda*Rose is wearing a fashionable summer hat for the gallery!

Posted by neandergirl (# 8916) on :

Both lovely additions to the 'family' album!

Posted by Call me Numpty (# 3012) on :

quote:
Originally posted by neandergirl:
Both lovely additions to the 'family' album!

Thank you. Would it be wrong to think that those with the most comments (nice ones of course) are the innies and those who haven't are the outies? Or have we done that already? [Biased]

[ 18. July 2007, 12:27: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Thank you for posting the picture, Gort. And thanks to Lynn MagdalenHall for taking it.

Numpty, I imagine the pictures with the most comments were, in general, the earliest ones, when there was a flurry of interest in the gallery.

quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:
... Would it be wrong to think that those with the most comments (nice ones of course) are the innies and those who haven't are the outies? Or have we done that already? [Biased]

Yes, that's wrong. By its very nature, all who simply share their photo in the Gallery are "innies".

So, Shippies, be part of the Gallery "In Crowd" by sharing your gorgeous graphics. Don't be shy! Besides, you never know if a scullery maid is looking for her cabin boy! [Biased]

Please welcome Aggie, our most recent Gallery portrait.

Posted by Aggie (# 4385) on :

Thank you for posting the pic Gort, and thanks Spike for taking it.

It was my pleasure, Aggie! <bows>

Universalist has shared his photo with the Gallery. Welcome to you, also!

seasick has joined the Gallery. Welcome!

Updated Ancient Mariner's photo by request.

thanks, Gort!

International mystery-man and roguish romantic, riverfalls, has shared a portrait from his travels.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Good pic of Riverfalls! He even has his eyes open.

Sine Nomine has shared a photo of his recent Halloween party costume! Tarzan and Cheetah never looked so good. Umgawa, apeman!

And please welcome new Gallery shipmate, uncletoby!

If I don't get a date out of this one I guess I'll have to sent Gort my gay.com picture. (ITTWACW.)

Whoa! Shaved tan goodness alert!
eta: If you've got it, flaunt it.

[ 09. November 2007, 14:33: Message edited by: duchess ]

Posted by dogwonderer (# 12169) on :

Crikey! That thing's gotta be nine inches long!

What a blatant attempt to get in the quotes file!

Posted by uncletoby (# 13067) on :

quote:
Sine Nomine has shared a photo of his recent Halloween party costume! Tarzan and Cheetah never looked so good. Umgawa, apeman!

And please welcome new Gallery shipmate, uncletoby!

I clearly timed this very badly - I can't possibly compete with Sine Nomine!

Posted by 206 (# 206) on :

I wasn't going to bring this up but has anyone else observed the blatant discrimination against numbers that exists here?

(Yeah, I recognize it's probably a good thing.)

And Sine: [Overused]

Next time I'm in Nashville I'll buy you a cup of coffee, if you're that desperate. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by uncletoby:
...I can't possibly compete with Sine Nomine!

None of us can - it's not even worth trying [Big Grin]

quote:
I can't possibly compete with Sine Nomine!

That's what you get for trying to be tasteful. You probably thought it was a Christian website.

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:
I can't possibly compete with Sine Nomine!

That's what you get for trying to be tasteful. You probably thought it was a Christian website.
Now that I think of it, I do have some rather unchristian photos taken of me in a Paris hotel room some years ago by my then girlfriend (now wife) - although the pictures I took of her would probably have more of an impact.

I'm sorry. Only single people get to pose nekkid on the shipmates gallery. It's a rule. At least it's probably a rule somewhere. Or it ought to be.

quote:
I'm sorry. Only single people get to pose nekkid on the shipmates gallery. It's a rule. At least it's probably a rule somewhere. Or it ought to be.

I wonder if you're just scared of the competition!

Of course I'm scared of the competition. It's a jungle out there. Why the hell do you think I was dressed as Tarzan?*

(*Well that and the fact they had leopard print velour at half-off in the clearance bin at Calico Corner.)

quote:

That'd put a whole new perspective on the dating threads! [Paranoid]

quote:
(*Well that and the fact they had leopard print velour at half-off in the clearance bin at Calico Corner.)

Well it's pretty obvious which half was off!
[Biased]

Posted by Grits (# 4169) on :

quote:

And apparently, they didn't even have a one yard minimum for purchase.

Actually the lovely silver-haired lady at Calico Corner asked if she could help me and I said "Yes ma'am. I need some of the leopard print velour."

"How much do you need?" she replied.

"I'm not sure." I said.

"Well, what is it for?" she asked.

"Er...uh...a loincloth" I mumbled.

"Oh! [real loud] A loincloth! Well...I suppose half a yard should be sufficient." she said.

A friend of mine says I should have insisted that 1/2 yard wouldn't be nearly sufficient, but at that point I was mostly just interested in getting out of there.

quote:
Actually the lovely silver-haired lady at Calico Corner asked if she could help me and I said "Yes ma'am. I need some of the leopard print velour."

I am not too sure that is a phrase I ever thought I would hear you saying.

er... were you wearing anything underneath? [Hot and Hormonal]

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

Oh, I say! Sine has a cute little monkey.

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
were you wearing anything underneath?

I was planning to attach the velour to a black Calvin Klein thong (which I had to purchase, being a thong virgin so to speak) but it soon became apparent that for the authentic loincloth experience the thong would have to go.

So, in a word: no.

(Also, I now have a like-new black thong I'd be willing to sell for - if you'll pardon the expression - next to nothing.)

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

Actually the monkey was a backpack holding my wallet and keys.

Well, that ruined it for me. Next you'll be saying the knife is plastic. [Disappointed]

Posted by Organ Builder (# 12478) on :

quote:
Of course I'm scared of the competition.

I think you are too modest (though perhaps that isn't quite the word). Anyone who would wear that costume AND post the picture on the Ship is surely one who knows no fear...

It's the Attention Whore Disorder. It's worse in the Fall with the shorter days and lack of sunlight.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

Actually the monkey was a backpack holding my wallet and keys.
Did you spank the little monkey? [Two face]

Auntie Doris x

[ 09. November 2007, 19:13: Message edited by: Auntie Doris ]

quote:
A friend of mine says I should have insisted that 1/2 yard wouldn't be nearly sufficient, but at that point I was mostly just interested in getting out of there.

I'll point out to you that half a yard is 18"... [Eek!]

[Big Grin] I love the photo. And uncletoby is lovely, too - although a bit young to be uncletoby, don'cha think?

quote:
And uncletoby is lovely, too - although a bit young to be uncletoby, don'cha think?

Almost as young as Auntie Doris [Biased]

Auntie Doris x

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
quote:
And uncletoby is lovely, too - although a bit young to be uncletoby, don'cha think?

Almost as young as Auntie Doris [Biased]
You don't have any photographs of yourself taken in a Paris hotel room you could send him, do you?

(Why does 'taken in a Paris hotel room' just sound SO wicked? Things could be just as wicked in a room at the Travel Lodge in Spokane, Washington one would think.)

quote:
It's the Attention Whore Disorder. It's worse in the Fall with the shorter days and lack of sunlight.

This 'seasonal affective' business seems to be contagious. I haven't been this busy with the Gallery for months!

At the risk of diverting the spotlight from Sine's savage contenance, Kepler's Puppet has updated his portrait to share his new toupeé!

Please feel free, fellow shipmates, to share your updated photos or new submittals during this orgy of attention whoredom. I would like to take the opportunity, during these dark and dreary (northern) days, to propose a pledge drive for the Organ Fund. The idea is very simple. You pledge to donate X amount to the fund on the condition a shipmate of your choice submits a portrait of themself. What say you?

I'll pony up seed money for the effort by pledging $50 if our inimitable admin, Erin, reveals her lovely self! [Snigger]

You need to be specific. I assume you mean a current frontal shot. Not her 4th grade class photograph or one of the back of her head.

Yes! Good point. Firenze? Front and center! Hop to it! Chop-chop!

quote:
(Why does 'taken in a Paris hotel room' just sound SO wicked? Things could be just as wicked in a room at the Travel Lodge in Spokane, Washington one would think.)

I have a photo of myself in a Paris hotel room, taken by my good friend while I was coming out of the closet... sounds ever so wicked, eh?! If it weren't for the risk of the dazzling acreage of my midrift causing snowblindness, I might scan it and post it... [Snigger]

(it's sort of the Anti-Sine Tarzan shot-- he's lean and tan and rather dangerous with that big knife and all).

quote:
If it weren't for the risk of the dazzling acreage of my midrift causing snowblindness, I might scan it and post it... [Snigger]

Never fear! I'm sure most of us have sunglasses at the ready. Submit away!

Posted by The Bede's American Successor (# 5042) on :

quote:

You haven't been keeping up with the news stories lately, have you?

International Herald Tribune, no less.

This is old news.

These are just the gay stories.

My partner earned his Bachelor's Degree in Spokane. He can tell stories about life in the Inland Empire.

[ 09. November 2007, 21:51: Message edited by: The Bede's American Successor ]

quote:
Now that I think of it, I do have some rather unchristian photos taken of me in a Paris hotel room some years ago by my then girlfriend (now wife) - although the pictures I took of her would probably have more of an impact.

Not for Sine.

Auntie Doris x

Would anyone be interested in taking over responsibility for the Gallery? Simple graphics editing experience and FTP client required; subject to approval by Simon. Volunteer here or by PM.

Thanks!
Daniel

I don't have much graphics editing experience (though a bit I guess), but I have the rest (know about FTP and use sites regularly etc.) and am happy to help. If graphics editing is needed, perhaps I could work in tandem...or not. Just an offer to help the ship. It does give me enough.

quote:
Would anyone be interested in taking over responsibility for the Gallery? Simple graphics editing experience and FTP client required; subject to approval by Simon. Volunteer here or by PM.

Thanks!
Daniel

BTW, thanks sincerely for all the work you have done on the gallery.
[Overused]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Presumably if there was no-one currently able to take over, the gallery could sit there with us all in frozen animation, until someone is able to come forward with the right amount of time and know-how in the future. I'm all in favour of not growing any older.....

Posted by DaisyM (# 9098) on :

Yes indeed, thank you Gort! [Smile]

Bump bumpity bump:
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
quote:

Thanks!
Daniel

BTW, thanks sincerely for all the work you have done on the gallery.
[Overused]

quote:
Originally posted by DaisyM:
Yes indeed, thank you Gort! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I don't have much graphics editing experience (though a bit I guess), but I have the rest (know about FTP and use sites regularly etc.) and am happy to help. If graphics editing is needed, perhaps I could work in tandem...or not. Just an offer to help the ship. It does give me enough.

Thanks, duch and DaisyM, for the kind remarks! Gwai, I'm sure you could handle the awesome workload and responsibilities, just fine! [Big Grin] I was hoping a volunteer could be found soon so that Simon and Melon would be inconvenienced as little as possible during the Christmas season. A new editor may generate a surge in gallery interest! Suggestions, anyone?

All of us appreciate your work, Gort (well, except for those who don't-- [Big Grin] ).

And I thought Gwai volunteered? That's my brilliant idea - the Ship take Gwai up on her offer-- YES!

I may have misread the thread, but I thought Gwai volunteered too. Is the post still open?

Yes, the position is open. Gwai and anyone else interested should contact Simon and Melon. I'm not choosing a successor.

I tend to presume Simon will read this thread and do as he chooses. I will be happy with whatever is best.

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

Not necessarily true... you might want to PM him just to be sure.

Aah. Okay. Done then [Smile] .

[cue fanfare of trumpets!]

I'm pleased to announce Simon's official confirmation of Gwai as new Gallery editor! New shippies and veterans should consider submitting your photos so she has something to practice with! [Biased]

Thanks, Gwai, for taking the position! Hope you have as much fun as I did!

I'm not sure how long it will take to change email links on the Gallery page for submittals, but in the meantime... send her a PM if you have one to share!

Thank you, Gort, for all the work you've done on the Gallery! [Overused]

Thank you, Gwai, for stepping in and taking this on! [Overused]

All I can say is, GREAT G's!!! Gort and Gwai both of you, yay! - thanks. [Big Grin]

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Gort... thanks for setting up the Gallery and looking after it so well over the past year. And welcome aboard as Gallery editor, Gwai. The Gallery pages now have your name and contact details on it... thanks for taking this on.

You're welcome, Simon! It's been a pleasure to be part of the operation! [Cool]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

Yes, thank you Gort and Gwai. I love going to the Gallery and seeing how far off (or on) my mental image of everyone has been.

Galleries must only be run by people beginning with G, it is the law !

[Big Grin]

quote:
Gort... thanks for setting up the Gallery and looking after it so well over the past year. And welcome aboard as Gallery editor, Gwai. The Gallery pages now have your name and contact details on it... thanks for taking this on.

You should give Gwai her own sinking titanic boat. Or Gort some avatar that swings shut. Just sayin...

Hello Gwai! I've PM'd you but you may want to answer here. Are you receiving photos through email attachments? The email button on your profile doesn't allow that and I'm not sure how to send you my new one.

Thansk for the headsup, Gort. I have put it in my sermon space in my profile.
Please send all gallery pictures to <mynick>hirj@gmail.com (Written that way to avoid email harvesters. No spaces, dashes or odd characters needed)

Yaaay, Gwai! New photo on its way!

Gort has a new picture up in the gallery and Gwai has successfully added her first photo. Feel free to send yours to test if she can get more efficient at the process... or just to have some fun.

Ho! Ho! Ho! [Big Grin]

And mirrizin has taken advantage of his nearby gallery gal and his new picture will be visible in the gallery in a few minutes when the server refreshes.

Posted by PaulH (# 13244) on :

Here is my picture.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Bent/mspaint/haughty00.jpg[/IMG]

I do not understand why it's not showing up. Is there a problem with the server? You need to be connected to a server before you can connect to the Internet here in Japan.

Regards,

Paul

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by PaulH:
Here is my picture.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Bent/mspaint/haughty00.jpg[/IMG]

I do not understand why it's not showing up. Is there a problem with the server? You need to be connected to a server before you can connect to the Internet here in Japan.

Regards,

Paul

They don't support the [IMG] tags here, probably because they encourage deep linking, which is a spankable offence with some webmasters.

Posted by Beautiful_Dreamer (# 10880) on :

I just wanted to thank you all for setting up this gallery.

it is nice to have so much eye candy in such a convenient location [Smile]

Awww shux, B_D [Axe murder]

quote:

it is nice to have so much eye candy in such a convenient location [Smile] [/QB]

Thank you.

I have a Golden retriever and I buy his dinner from the supermarket. They also have vets here. Is it possible I could have my dogs picture in the Gallery?

Regards,

Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
They don't support the [IMG] tags here, probably because they encourage deep linking, which is a spankable offence with some webmasters.

Not really because of deep linking. Just that posting pictures is really damn annoying - it makes for (potentially) large and slow page loading, and easily breaks up the page width formatting. And, is totally unneccesary. The Ships boards are so much cleaner and tidier than other boards which have graphics posted at random all over the place.

quote:
Just that posting pictures is really damn annoying
You are the Site Admin and it is your site to do with as you please.

However, I beg to differ with your assertion that pictures are "really damn annoying."

Pictures are artistic. They would add a degree of colour to the forii.

Regards,

Paul Hackshaw.

Hmm, I beg to differ about the artistic quality of the digital editing on the link you posted. The black shirt, clerical collar, chain and cross are not well done.

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Hmm, I beg to differ about the artistic quality of the digital editing on the link you posted. The black shirt, clerical collar, chain and cross are not well done.

I have already explained the events leading to that editing on another thread.

Posted by Socratic-enigma (# 12074) on :

The question is:

Do we want to encourage trolls to post their photos in the Gallery?

Or their dogs?

Or are they one in the same...

S-E

Who's to decide the status of troll? You, S-E? And how far would you like to take this judgement process? Should we turn down Buddhists, Mormons, atheists? Those with cognitive disabilities or bad grammar?

Does someone have to be a Shipmate, or can Apprentices have their pictures posted?

From the OP.
quote:
Hey, I have this great photo of my neighbour/ dog/ house/ a really neat traction engine I saw at a steam fair. We are really happy for you, but the idea of the Gallery is to display photos of shipmates.

Posted by mountainsnowtiger (# 11152) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Does someone have to be a Shipmate, or can Apprentices have their pictures posted?

There's currently at least one picture of an apprentice in the Gallery (Sound Mixer).

quote:
Who's to decide the status of troll? You, S-E? And how far would you like to take this judgement process? Should we turn down Buddhists, Mormons, atheists? Those with cognitive disabilities or bad grammar?

Thank you Gert. "Socrates" is not quite the deep thinker he so clearly fancies himself to be.

Please include my dog in the Gallery. I am too embarrassed to type his name out here. My 15 year old son named him.

He is a bit sick today so I have to take him to the vet. He ate some important University papers (for what it's worth, I teach at a University) and dogs are not covered under National Health Insurance in Japan.

If you take your dog to the vet in Japan you will have to pay for the vet fees.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Bent/mspaint/Dog.jpg[/IMG]

Regards,

PaulH.

Paul,
Please take time to read the FAQ for the gallery, where you will find instructions on how to submit photos to the gallery.

[Also, if you want to link to a photo in a posting, use the 'URL" button at the bottom of the edit window when composing your post - IMG tags aren't allowed here]

(For the record, I did PM PaulH a few days ago about the gallery and will happily post whichever picture he asks me to put up for him.)

[ 16. December 2007, 03:05: Message edited by: Gwai ]

Oops! Sorry for stepping on your toes. Gwai!

--BTW, Paul... that is the fattest Akita I've ever seen.

quote:
--BTW, Paul... that is the fattest Akita I've ever seen. [/QB]
Thank you Mr Gert, at last someone civil and friendly amidst the barb-tongued hatred spewers that seem to people this forus.

Yes, my dog (whose name is too embarrasing to type out although I may divulge it via the PM realm if anybody is especially interested, my 15 year old son named the dog, leading to a terrible row) is slightly overweight.

He does have a nasty habit of excreting in the washing machine too.

Not my son. The dog. The dog excretes in the washing machine.

Fond regards, Gert.

Paul.

quote:
slightly overweight.

Errr .... slightly. Cruelly in fact. I hope a gentle but persistent exercise regime can be implemented to love him back to life.

quote:
He does have a nasty habit of excreting in the washing machine too.

Now tell me about Japanese washing machines. I assume by this they are lidless and a little lower than those used in Europreanized nations?

quote:
...the barb-tongued hatred spewers that seem to people this forus.

You would do well by addressing those hatred-spewers here, which is the only forus you will find them expectorating.

quote:
Originally Posted by Gort:
Oops! Sorry for stepping on your toes. Gwai!

No criticism intended, Gort! I just figured that it might be relevant to you or others.

Posted by Socratic-enigma (# 12074) on :

quote:

My apologies Gort, Gwai & Hosts/Admins

The comments were clearly inappropriate

I guess I was behaving somewhat like a dog with a bone and hadn't realised I'd strayed into the Living Room.

And Gort, thanks for all your work in the Gallery and congrats/appreciation to Gwai.

S-E

Thanks, S-E. It's a tough job but someone has to do it!

Speaking of photos can a maestro remind me how to send/post mine - it needs updating

Basically, email it to me.

Kool. That was quick!

And as quick as can be done considering server refresh times, Zappa's picture is up. Will be viewable in an hour.

[Paranoid]

Ta [Axe murder]

Posted by Flausa (# 3466) on :

How is having that sort of photo different than just posting a picture of your dog or cat? I thought photos in the gallery are really supposed to be us.

Oh. I was following Erin's lead, I guess. Anonymity is a gift of God, anonymity blended with what I thought was humour is a use of that gift. But I guess it may defeat the purpose of the gallery if realism is the issue.

I personally wouldn't have had a problem, for example, with PaulH's dog photo, though there seems to have been some disparity between the claim it was a pic of his dog and the appearance of it in other locations around the ether. At least I took the photo!

If Gallery management don't want my new visage they can of course remove it.

I'm guilty of posting Erin's 'gator pic during one of those admin & host day extravaganzas when I posted joke photos of several shipmates and never took her's down. I was hoping she would submit a real portrait but all efforts at bribery or extortion have failed.

Pease's is the only other non-portrait and he uploaded it himself during the test phase. RooK's is also my unauthorized handiwork (ripped off his website). I believe Simon would prefer that submittals be up-close portraits without extra characters in the shot but there are a couple that include babies, etc. It's up to Gwai's discretion now! [Biased]

Okay - I'll roll with the judges' decision - I don't want to create a Bad Precedent™ because this is a particularly bad time of year to make the baby Jesus cry [Frown]

I think yours was pretty funny Zappa! [Big Grin]

I am thinking I will follow any expressed preferences by the admins and failing any, will do ask the users ask. Personally, I don't imagine a sudden switch of tons of people to silly pictures. Probably most people who submitted pictures don't want/need anonymity after all.

Just to clarify, I don't think it's a big deal! I have rejected some offbeat photos like one of a gorilla wearing a mitre... did you get that one too, Gwai?

I've had a couple of episcopoi to whom that gorilla pic could apply, though I don't think it was I wot sent it. But thanks, all - I won't be self-harming or anyfink if my glamourous self-portrait is vaporised. [Waterworks]

[Killing me]

Not yet!

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

I think you're gorgeous Zappa. It would be a sad loss.

Well gee, if we get to pick slighty dubious photos, then I'd like to change mine to this, please. That was pre-pregnancy, of course.

Ye gods - that weapon is worse than Kelly's Axe - but perhaps not as bad as that missile

quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
Well gee, if we get to pick slighty dubious photos, then I'd like to change mine to this, please. That was pre-pregnancy, of course.

You know... if you guys are gonna submit fantasy alter-egos, then at least try to personalize them a bit.

Check out Flausa Croft! (pre-pregnancy) [Cool]

Oooohhh ... thank you, Santa Gort.

Well, that's Alan's Christmas present sorted, then. [Biased]

Posted by OrganistOnTheRoof (# 12950) on :

I am posting my very first post on this site. [Big Grin]
I don't really understand what SOF is all about, [Confused] and don't really know what to say here [Frown] .
But it appears no one else understands what SOF is about or what they should say here either, so I guess I fit right in. [Killing me]

Going to the Chapel
quote:
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there. - George Harrison

Wecome Organist ... you make like to check out this thread ... and make yourself at home. [Smile]

Very first post? what about this then? [Big Grin]

Otherwise, welcome, and what Zappa said!

Posted by TigerGaz (# 8891) on :

How do I get my ugly mug onto the gallery?

(If I have to look at it in the shaving mirror every day, I don't see why you lot should escape......)

Check out the FAQs.

Check out this JibJab snowball fight starring several shipmates! [Big Grin] Happy Holidays!

Wonderful!
[Killing me]

Somebody! Stop me! Akinola and Williams doing the Hula! [Eek!]

I love the snowball fight (particularly MadGeo's collapse, ouch! poor baby!) but I find the hula strangely disturbing... maybe it's the exploration of the navel lint...?! [Eek!]

Happy French Hens day! [Big Grin]

You think that's strange? Check out It's a Ship of Fool's Life!

Welcome to TigerGaz, who I think we can safely label a soccer fan.
(Safely unless he objects to the word soccer; still, looks friendly.) [Biased]

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

erm, I think that's a rugby jersey
Leicester tigers

Posted by mirrizin (# 11014) on :

Oops. I should've known (Gwai isn't so much the sports person, except for baseball...). [Hot and Hormonal]

It's still a great picture!

Posted by TigerGaz (# 8891) on :

Yep - those are the colours of the mighty Leicester Tigers rugby team.

That photo was taken just after the European Cup Final in may this year - we lost [Disappointed]

(If you think I seem cheerful considering we had just lost the european cup, look at what's in my hand - not the first nor the last......)

Sandemaniac, and the reverend who so (un)wisely gave permission, are in the gallery--and this time I'm sure they're not showing rugby spirit!

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Thanks, Gwai! Much appreciated!

No rugby spirit involved - though we did both feel the spirit moving within before the reception had ended. Judging by the next morning, it was an evil spirit...

AG

quote:
Welcome to TigerGaz, who I think we can safely label a soccer fan.

Who would've thought that wouldn't be true?! [Biased] (emphasis added)

quote:
You think that's strange? Check out It's a Ship of Fool's Life!

I missed this until today... it's very funny but a couple of those faces go by so quickly I'm not sure who they are-- obviously I need to spend more time studying in the Gallery.

Welcome to the gallery, crunt!

I misread that and was about to ask was it meant to be in hell! [Snigger]

Celtic Knotweed and a bunch of pretty French snow are up in the gallery.

I went looking for a new Shipmate called French snow... [Roll Eyes] [Help]

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

So did I ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

Thanks Gwai. Just to confuse people more, it's German snow - although that area was French in the 1600s [Biased]

Having finally been declared not-spam-mail, Spike is up in the gallery.

Errm... That still appears to be the old picture of me.

Uhoh! That's the one I got in my email.

Try reloading the page, Spike.

Welcome to the gallery, JennyAnn!

Posted by JennyAnn (# 3131) on :

ta!

J

Amber. has joined us on the gallery. Go see!

Perhaps this whole namechange business is good for the gallery as we all view how we're percieved online? [Razz]

Please welcome Zach82, Padre Joshua and Cattyish to the gallery!

(Though if you wish to welcome them visually, you may have to wait a few minutes until the gallery reloads.)

[ 05. April 2008, 19:23: Message edited by: Gwai ]

quote:
Please welcome Zach82, Padre Joshua and Cattyish to the gallery!

I see Zach82 and Padre Joshua but not Cattyish -- is it just me?

Nope, I'm reloading the page and I don't see Cattyish either... [Confused]

Oops! Concluded that computers take their numbers seriously and don't particulary appreciate when two of them are transposed.

Sorry Cattyish. You will be appearing soon.

(See, really I just did this to draw attention to her picture .... reaaaly!)

Welcome to Circuit Rider and his bass!

Posted by Circuit Rider (# 13088) on :

Y'all come on down to the Heart of Dixie and we'll play you a tune! [Smile]

you could scare the horses with that thing! [Biased]

Welcome to Kelly's new picture, cuter than ever.

[Big Grin] Thanks, Gwai!

Posted by Long Mire (# 13780) on :

Hello

I've just come on board. Is this the place to say hello to everyone.

I'm from NW England and would be interested in meeting up with folk from time to time.

Cheers

Welcome, Long Mire! The top thread in All Saints' is for newcomers to introduce themselves.

Please help me welcome kentishmaid to the gallery!

Welcome to _Feh, who I think comes with reptiles!

Posted by LQ (# 11596) on :

Since Gwai is away, I myself will note my arrival on the Gallery. [Yipee]

Thanks LQ. Didn't end staying up late enough to see it appear.
Now that I'm back, with daughter, Gnome, I can note that we should also welcome Saint Chad to the gallery.
Thanks for being patient!

Yay for more people in the gallery. Please help me welcome Loveheart!

Posted by Loveheart (# 12249) on :

[Ultra confused] Eeek! That was quick! Thank you...

Posted by Pants (# 999) on :

quote:
Welcome to _Feh, who I think comes with reptiles!

Should _Feh be listed under '_' or 'F'?!? [Snigger]

Posted by _Feh (# 10899) on :

lol.. just one reptile. [Biased]
Is there a category for '_' ?

Thanks!

A new up to date version of Marvin the Martian is now in the gallery.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Who's in charge these days? I want to update my pic. --Thanks.

um... look up.

Gwai's the boss of the galleria.

Kewl. Does that mean we get, like, free shoes?

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Thanks Gwai [Smile]

A rather large 'fro, apparently property of Ham'n'Eggs, has joined the gallery! Welcome!

(Bullfrog typing as Gwai is rather pooped at the moment)

[Killing me]

That's Phil Spector, actually, from when he was on trial last year.

C'mon Ruth, what have you been told about outing Shipmates? [Roll Eyes]

Alright! The Gallery is open to any and all photos!

Hey Bullfrog! Please accept my submittal to the Gallery.

Posted by Angus McDangley (# 11091) on :

quote:

[Killing me]

Posted by Genevičve (# 9098) on :

quote:

About time for some good eye candy!

Posted by Wiff Waff (# 10424) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Genevičve:
quote:

About time for some good eye candy!
Genevičve, I think he is more my type than yours!

Well, it was worth a try [Biased]

Ok, WW, pistols at high noon for the privilege of ogling said eye-candy!

[Snigger]

[ 16. July 2008, 13:43: Message edited by: Genevičve ]

Well, I will never be good at pop culture references, I think. However, unless I hear from an admin, I'm going to keep the gallery real, so Phil Spector will be vanishing.

you know what they say, "When you need a good man for a job, find a woman!"

bullfrog, you get points for trying and generosity of spirit!

Bullfrog just typed for me, he didn't decide to put up the picture. I thought it might be a joke, hence my use of the word apparently. However, I can not recognize most spurious images, so I put up pictures unless I am sure they are inappropriate.

well, then my poor attempt at a joke really fell flat. I apologize.

Appreciated, no worries.

Gwai, I'm sorry that you've had to deal with this fallout. I've emailed you a likeness of myself which Spike and Tubbs will be able to vouch for. Plus another 60-odd UK based Shipmates.

Many thanks for all of your hard work. [Smile]

Posted by marmot (# 479) on :

quote:

How many gallons of Nair did that take?

None. I was born hairless. Though the extreme musculature took a bit of work in later years.

Posted by Angus McDangley (# 11091) on :

quote:
None. I was born hairless. Though the extreme musculature took a bit of work in later years.

Have you seen a Dr about your deformed left thigh?

The real Ham and Eggs is now up in the gallery.

Thanks Gwai. [Smile]

Posted by amber. (# 11142) on :

quote:

That'll never keep you warm in winter...I'll have to start knitting you a nice warm string vest [Two face]

Please help me welcome the new and improved mousethief into the gallery.

Bullfrog has a new photo. Now comes with free bonus Gnome!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
[Smile]

Posted by Sha_Sha (# 10880) on :

quote:

Hel-LO! [Smile]

quote:
Bullfrog has a new photo. Now comes with free bonus Gnome!

Gwai, I had no idea the two of you have recently procreated - wow! congrats (I will remove my head from where the sun don't shine shortly... [Biased] ).

quote:
Originally posted by amber.:
quote:
...Hey Bullfrog! Please accept my submittal to the Gallery.

That'll never keep you warm in winter...I'll have to start knitting you a nice warm string vest [Two face]
quote:
Originally posted by Sha_Sha:
Hel-LO! [Smile]

Okay, Okay - the shameful truth.

Posted by amber. (# 11142) on :

Hmm, may need slightly more string... [Paranoid]

Welcome Sha_Sha, Sober Preacher's Kid, and climbgirl.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Sober Preacher's kid didn't show up -- unless there's something wrong with my browser.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Sober Preacher's kid didn't show up -- unless there's something wrong with my browser.

The server refreshes with new photo submittals at :13 after the hour. Sometimes Gwai announces new pix before they register.

[ 08. August 2008, 05:33: Message edited by: Gort ]

Indeed I had taken SPK down to adjust the size and resolution of the picture, so the server hadn't refreshed yet. However, I had the other two up and didn't want to delay longer since SPK sent in his picture two days ago. I was hoping the server would pick him up before anyone noticed [Razz] .

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

Eh? I'm up now. Do you need a different file Gwai? I trimmed the file you have down from a 2 MB one from my digital camera.

No, what we have up looks good I think.
I first popped up the picture you sent without any handling and it looked a bit pixelated, so I took it down and shrunk its width and height and that solved it.

Pants has a new picture up in the gallery with a larger Alien presence.

I'd like to welcome some random bloke to the gallery. No literally, Some Random Bloke.

Also, welcome to phillip99a who was quite patient as I took some time having trouble with his picture. (Thanks, pease)

[ 22. August 2008, 02:34: Message edited by: Gwai ]

phillip99a: 2272 X 1704 @ 647kb? I swear, Gwai, if you don't straighten up, I'm-a-gonna take the reins back.

Eh, bite me. I was tired. (I'll fix it after work)

Come welcome fight-club-for-the-soul to the gallery and enjoy the odd contrast between the new picture and the old comments.

Firey _Feh has a new picture up in the gallery. See if you can find her amidst the poi.

Welcome to the gallery, Waters of Babylon!

I love the way people join the gallery in waves. Welcome to the gallery, Lolly!

Ronald Binge has now joined the gallery.

Technical difficulties fixed, welcome to the gallery, Hel!

In an impressive three for one, we have Alex Cockell, Pax Romana (new picture,) and WindChaser!

I reckon Miss Amanda has a new picture. Also, play spot the claymore in jedijudy's picture!

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

It seems I'm an Also-Ran in the sword department! [Biased]

Welcome, basso, to the gallery!

I have updated my gallery picture.

Aaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww...
[Smile]

Zappa has a new picture. This time it even includes Zappa! [Biased]

Welcome to the gallery, thechurchlady. (Is that a ficus behind you?)

Horseman Bree has now joined the gallery. Greetings and welcome.

Welcome to the gallery UncleToby and your small one.

Pimple's, Thinker* is up in the gallery.

*He adds in parens "I think it's time I got up."

Welcome to the gallery, zwingli.

Jon may not have an h but our gallery has a Jon-with-no-h.

Posted by Revelle (# 8554) on :

How would I update a picture in the gallery? Rather than one of me that is appx. 4 years old [Smile]

[Hot and Hormonal]

Sorry for that, just figured it out on my own.

And Revelle and Duchess both have new improved pictures of themselves up!

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Now if Revelle resembled his avatar a little more, I might actually hire him! [Razz]

I have been told at first glance people assume it is me.

And as well, Sir Revelle would suit me well I think.

Not to mention being in the biggest rock band ever.

He's still pretty cute, even if he's young enough to be his avatar's grandson.
[Biased]

quote:
And Revelle and Duchess both have new improved pictures of themselves up!

thanks Gwai! [Smile]

Janine, looks like the quality turned out just fine to me. So I can invite all to greet Janine and her tattoo in the gallery.

That is a great tattoo. Maybe next year the Simmies could include a "best tattoo" category!

Welcome to the gallery, Anselm.

Welcome to the gallery, host of the year, PeteC!

The gallery's correction section notes: if you have gone to the gallery since last night, you will have actually seen the correct picture of PeteC. Apologies for the error, Pete!

JB has updated his picture. It's a good one and I think marmot will approve.

Welcome to the gallery, Oblatus!

New photo of daisydaisy up!

Posted by booktonmacarthur (# 14308) on :

Gwai : Your inbox is full. Is it possible to put Flickr pics in the gallery

Ack! Not full anymore. Thanks.

Yes, a flickr picture shouldn't be a problem. If you want to earn real (though utterly useless) kudos in my book, put your member number in the email you send me asking me to put the picture up.

Posted by booktonmacarthur (# 14308) on :

have just sent a message, including shipmate number, to you. I hope the link works!

Welcome to the gallery, booktonmacarthur, most helpful shipmate and he with nice landscape.

Revelle has updated his picture. Less jacket, more instrument.

Welcome to the gallery, Anglican Brat. Now everyone can see him smiling there.

Welcome to the gallery both monkeylizard and Patrick the less Saintly!

In about an hour Bishop's Finger will be up in the gallery, but I wanted to tell you as soon as possible* because he's an awesome person who included his number in his email.

*Thus why I'm telling you early, before I go to bed

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

[Hot and Hormonal]

Thanks, Gwai!

Ian J.

Welcome to the gallery, MrSponge2U. Good picture!

Welcome to the gallery, CuppaT. You look like kind of the way I pictured you.

Welcome to the gallery, Fr Weber. I'm guessing you're not a teetotaler! [Big Grin]

In a nice three for one, welcome to the gallery tiggytiger, Nanny Ogg, and sha_sha!

And we've bagged another host. Help me welcome TonyK to the gallery.

Welcome, John Collins.

Posted by les@BALM (# 11237) on :

Can I submit a photo of my cat Tiggs, he isn't a member but he has featured in the "Deeply Offended" thread in the Circus. Some people might ask does he really exist, so a photo would clarify that, and I don't know how to upload a photo from my pictures into a message?

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

I think it was established rather early on in Gallery history that no pictures of non-shipmates would be allowed.

If you want to show off your cat, establish a link in your signature.

[link not line]

[ 27. October 2009, 00:47: Message edited by: PeteC ]

Also you could include him as a prop in a picture of you.
No law against making Cambellite hungry! [Biased]

PeteC, How would I put a picture of Tiggs into my signiture, his pics are only in My Pictures on my pc not on the internet?

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
Originally posted by les@BALM:
PeteC, How would I put a picture of Tiggs into my signiture, his pics are only in My Pictures on my pc not on the internet?

Photobucket.

Tubbs

Cheers Tubbs.

Tubbs, I uploads the required photos of Tiggs the cat to Photobucket, I downloaded the code to my signiture which I thought would read Tiggs the cat, but has just left the html code, how do I change it to the phrase I want?

see if this will do it.

Tiggs the cat

I've clearly lost the plot on this one!

Cute cat. I've updated your sig for you.

What a sweetums! I say this as the staffer to lovable porker Judith-Boy, and anxiety-wracked Isaac.

Rook, Cheers for doing my dig, I did try, but it bacame very trying. I couldn't workout how to change the code to a phrase in the Sig. But thanks again. Tiggs is happily oblivious to it all sleeping on the bed.

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

That's one happy cat, les@BALM.

And you should also add to your CV* that RooK liked your cat enough to provide you with [pro bono technical service so the picture could be seen.

~~~

CV = cirriculum vitae (sp?), the document that academics supply detailing their studies, degrees, research and published works. The academic version of what the rest of us produce as a resume when looking for work.

jlg, if having Rooks act of goodness could better my chances of getting employment in Canada, then I would take you advice.

Please help me welcome Evensong to the gallery, but because of a typo you'll have to wait 45 minutes!

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Cute cat. I've updated your sig for you.

Obviously it's just me but are we sure Tiggs is among the living?! That's one very relaxed cat, les@BALM [Big Grin]

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

Not dead. The cat has achieved "zero brainwave activity", sort of a cat nirvana state. It's an especially tricky thing when two sibling cats (often a male/female pair) share a single brain cell. Not having possession of the single brain cell is not the same thing as achieving zero brainwave activity.

quote:
Please help me welcome Evensong to the gallery, but because of a typo you'll have to wait 45 minutes!

Is it Evensnog?? It's not is it??

They're both there, but I think Gwai meant the one she said.

(Pete has it dead on.)

Welcome to the gallery Matariki! And thank you for being so patient. I was trying to put two shipmates up at the same time, but have been having trouble with another M shipmate who's gallery picture.

However, I have finally gotten the server to handle the change, so I can announce that Mamacita has updated her picture. And a very good picture it is too. Thanks for your patience too.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

Thanks, Gwai!

Posted by Matariki (# 14380) on :

Thank you Gwai, have a great 2010.

Welcome to the gallery, rosamundi!

quote:
Originally posted by les@BALM:
see if this will do it.

Tiggs the cat

I [Axe murder] Tiggs.

Posted by rosamundi (# 2495) on :

quote:
Welcome to the gallery, rosamundi!

That was quick - thank you!

And welcome to the gallery, James the Confident and andythehat.

Posted by andythehat (# 10399) on :

My, only just noticed! Thank you Gwai [Overused]

Welcome to the gallery, boogie. Thanks for being patient.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Thanks for calling me patient - not a description I am used to!

[Big Grin]

Posted by nomadicgrl (# 7623) on :

Thank you Gwai. [Smile]

[ 26. May 2010, 01:15: Message edited by: nomadicgrl ]

Yeah, put you up yesterday before I went to bed and forgot to check this morning and announce it.

Thanks for your patience with my technical difficulties and stupidity related difficulties!

Posted by nomadicgrl (# 7623) on :

There was no stupidity involved and the technical issues were my fault, thanks again, you do a great job making sure the beauty of shipmates can shine forth [Biased]

nomadicgrl is too kind. But: welcome to the gallery, AristonAstuanax! Seriously cute donkey/mule/thing. (And I must admit you are now in the list of shipmates who's gender I would have guessed wrong if I had had to.)

Posted by AristonAstuanax (# 10894) on :

Yes, Teddy the Burro is quite cute, if ornery (like all good burros)—and worry not, you're not the first person to have thought me female at first. I've accepted the price of being a longhair.

Welcome to the gallery, Deckhand!

Posted by Deckhand (# 15545) on :

Thank-you, Gwai.

Posted by wrinkley (# 7673) on :

As you can tell by my name, I'm old. New here.

Hi Wrinkley!

I'll copy this over to the Welcome thread in All Saints.

Hang on to your wimple!

PeteC

All Saints Host

Welcome to the gallery, ButchCassidy!

And nice to have a new person in the gallery. Welcome, Episcoterian.

Chicklegirl has an updated picture in the gallery and it's really neat.

Welcome to the gallery, Rossweisse. It's nice to see you!

Posted by Rossweisse. (# 2349) on :

Thank you, Gwai! It's nice to be seen.

Pax Romana is refreshed in the gallery, by the new picture and by the zeppole!

And welcome to the gallery, baldudecrompound. I feel like it must be spring in the gallery with so many people putting out new picture leaves or sprouting up the first time.

Welcome to the gallery, Vulpior. Thanks for waiting patiently until I returned from vacation!

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

Thanks, Gwai. Now slightly de-anonymised...

And welcome to ElaineC! Always good to see people sprout up in the gallery. [Smile]

Welcome to the gallery, Angel Wrestler! It is good to put a face to the name.

Posted by Angel Wrestler (# 13673) on :

Thanks for removing it, Gwai.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'm feeling a bit exposed right now in my life and thought it best not to have my picture up.

No worries.

And now everyone can come see Kelly Alves' new picture. You might say she's been caught a bit red-faced.

(She'll be up in a bit when the server refreshes, but I'm headed to bed now, so I post a bit in advance.)

[ 11. April 2011, 02:24: Message edited by: Gwai ]

Welcome to the gallery, Jbohn!

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

Why, thank you.

One of my excellent All Saints co-hosts has updated his gallery picture: Good to see you, Welease Woderick, and thanks for being patient until I got back from vacation!

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Thanks Gwai!

To take a break from the silliness, uffda's picture is up in the gallery. It's worth seeing even though I didn't put an alligator into the background.

comet has a new picture in the gallery!

Posted by Alfred E. Neuman (# 6855) on :

Nice. Two giant eyes filling my entire monitor! [Killing me]

Oops! Opened that in the wrong program. Now that you've got to enjoy comet's giant eyes, let's try that again ... (wait a couple hours for the server to refresh all)

[ 10. May 2011, 23:08: Message edited by: Gwai ]

I keep telling you all I'm watching you. see?

Comet is now in the gallery at an updated but less than life-size and so is Besshiggs. Welcome both.

Posted by BessHiggs (# 15176) on :

Wow that was fast! Thanks Gwai [Smile]

And Bullfrog has a new picture in the gallery. Don't think I've ever been asked before to put a picture up in the gallery that I also took!

Posted by Bullfrog. (# 11014) on :

Thanks! On both counts!

Welcome to the gallery, Desert Daughter. Nice picture, and thanks for sending my your member number too. Always get brownie points for that.

Welcome to the gallery, Lothlorien. Good to see what you look like!

Welcome to the gallery, Whynotsmile, and nice picture!

Posted by WhyNotSmile (# 14126) on :

Thanks Gwai!

Zappa now has an excellent picture up in the gallery.

And Aggie has a new updated picture in the gallery complete with a neat background.

Welcome to the Gallery, Aelred of Rievaulx; another person to get in the gallery mistress' particularly good lists by including his number with his picture!

Come to the gallery to see Amber's updated picture, and I think it gives a pleasant view of the personality behind it.

quote:
Zappa now has an excellent picture up in the gallery.

Thanks for that, once more

And Janine has a new suave looking picture in a cool hat.

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

Was going over the past few new pics & couldn't see Kelly's... how did it not come up for me? *sniffle* Am I now on Kelly's bad list?

Nah, I took it down.

Peoples computers kept crashing every time they opened the pic.

[Biased]

Beauty has a way of doing that.

Hi

I've been away from the Ship for a few years and I want to update my gallery photo. Who do I send it to and can someone send me the necessary links please?

Scooby x

Glad to see you're back on here Scooby!

quote:
Originally posted by Scooby-Doo:
Hi

I've been away from the Ship for a few years and I want to update my gallery photo. Who do I send it to and can someone send me the necessary links please?

Scooby x

FAQ

I've been away for way too long Duchess!

Scooby XXX

Welcome to the gallery, Mark Betts, and thanks for your patience during the time it took me to get your picture up!

Welcome to the gallery, PaulBC. Between the leaves on the tree and the church, it's a very place to be pictured.

Welcome back to the gallery, PeteC. And thanks for being so patient! Not having updated for 9 months left me with some delays getting into the gallery.

Welcome to the gallery, Yonatan! On a boat?

Barefoot Friar (and his wife) are now in the gallery in an updated photo.

Posted by Barefoot Friar (# 13100) on :

Thanks, Gwai! That old picture was about ten years old, so it was time for a change.

And perhaps inspired by the friar non prophet's flag is set so is now sailing into the gallery. Welcome!

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Barefoot Friar (and his wife) are now in the gallery in an updated photo.

Really? I can't see them...

Sorry about that. The picture I had was being weird, so I redid it. Should be up as soon as the server refreshes now.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

quote:
And perhaps inspired by the friar non prophet's flag is set so is now sailing into the gallery. Welcome!

Correct. The posts to this thread jigged me to it.

First shipmate in most of a year: Welcome to the gallery, Sipech! (Link)

[ 19. November 2015, 15:19: Message edited by: Gwai ]

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

Wow, he looks exactly how I imagined him!

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
Wow, he looks exactly how I imagined him!

Suave & sophisticated, yet also a bit cuddly?

You're a lot cuter than your avatar.
[Smile]

(Whereas my avatar is a lot cuter than I am.)
[Frown]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Sipech, you look disturbing like my Eldest Son! I don't think you were "separated at birth" though because I was there and he was 9lb 8oz.

J.B. has updated his picture. With more added horse. [Smile]

(And quite a background)

[ 06. January 2016, 03:19: Message edited by: Gwai ]

Welcome back to the gallery, Kelly Alves! Love the picture.

(And another gallery update coming as soon as the server updates)

Speaking of good pictures, Amanda B. Reckondwythe has a new picture too. (Thanks for the patience, Miss Amanda, it took me a while to get your picture up.)

If you can't see the new picture immediately, refresh. I know I had to.

Yes, Miss Amanda refreshed her cache and voila! Thanks, Gwai.

Now, if only refreshing the cache would make a certain comment go away -- I know you tried, thanks for that.

Yeah, I know how you feel. Most of my comments refer to gag photos nobody seemed to like.

Not to give you more work, Gwai, but in my case would it be possible just to delete the whole profile, photo and all, and start over?

I have sent Pease an email. We will see. (Don't know why I didn't do that earlier.)

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

you deleted me, at my request, a few years back.

Or so I thought. Please delete, if possible.

[ 10. March 2016, 23:05: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

You're undeletable, Pete

I think I did too. Either I have forgotten how or the situation is different.

I presume pease will be able to help. Until then...

Did pease ever reply?

No. [Frown]

Is it possible for my photo to be taken down, then?

Done.

Done.

Many apologies - afraid I didn't see any emails about this issue.

Do the above posts indicate that it's now sorted, sorted?

Not exactly? Basically I've been gallery mistress for years, but I don't know how to delete comments under pictures, if I ever knew. I'll PM you.

OK - I'll look into it.

Welcome to the gallery venbede, and welcome back Kelly Alves!

Sorry both that I took so bloody long to get you all sorted!

Wow, a lot of old friends in there who have either left the Ship or left this Mortal Coil.

[Tear]

Thanks for all the help, Gwai!

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

quote:
Welcome to the gallery venbede, and welcome back Kelly Alves!

Sorry both that I took so bloody long to get you all sorted!

Not at all. Thank you.

Welcome to the gallery MrsBeaky. That is a really good picture of you.

Posted by MrsBeaky (# 17663) on :

Thank you
And thank you for your help in adding my picture to the gallery- I felt it was about time for a tiny piece of self-disclosure.....
[Biased]

quote:
Welcome to the gallery MrsBeaky. That is a really good picture of you.

Yes it is - lovely to see you at last Mrs B!

© Ship of Fools 2016