Thread: URL tags and the URL button Board: The Styx / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003433

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

It's come to my attention (because I've had to fix some broken links) that it's entirely possible to post a raw url (in plaintext), and browsers will pick that up as a hypertext link. Thus, http://www.bbc.co.uk

I have no idea if that works across all modern browsers, or just some of them. Our antiquated Ship software works on UBB tags, which has traditionally required url formatting as
code:
[url=www.bbc.co.uk]this is a link[/url]

which turns into this: this is a link

Doublethink posted a slew of plaintext links in Hell, which I felt obliged to reformat with UBB tags, as some of them worked and some of them didn't, and some inexplicably had url brackets when she hadn't even put them in.

I appreciate that browser tech has advanced faster than Ship 'ware has. However, there are links which won't work in plaintext, and are also highly vulnerable to breaking scroll-lock and punctuation problems. Personally, I'd like to see nice, clean UBB coding for urls, but what I really want is for people to check them first in Preview Post to make sure they actually point to where they're supposed to.

Other opinions are available.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
what I really want is for people to check them first in Preview Post

Good luck with that:
quote:
... one of the six registered users who uses the preview post function ...

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

I've mentioned on another thread that those posting from phones may not be able to use the preview function, depending on which phone and browser.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I've mentioned on another thread that those posting from phones may not be able to use the preview function, depending on which phone and browser.

Did you know that if you try to surf the ship from an old Nokia brick phone you can't even read the threads!!!

Solution: Use things that work.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Glad you mentioned scroll lock. It's clunky using the ship on my Android, but it works fine as long as nobody has broken the scroll lock. When that happens the thread is unusable.

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
what I really want is for people to check them first in Preview Post

Good luck with that:
quote:
... one of the six registered users who uses the preview post function ...

I actually fiddled with that post several times. Granted I didn't use URL tags, but it just didn't show as breaking scroll lock on the device I was using. The links appeared as links and it seemed fine.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Did you know that if you try to surf the ship from an old Nokia brick phone you can't even read the threads!!!

Well, you could always phone the Operator at the Exchange and get her to read it out to you ... [Devil]

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Whatever are these things called 'Operator' and 'Exchange' of which you speak?

I will now go and press Button B to get my fourpence back...

Nostalgia! Ah! It's not what it used to be.....

IJ

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

[TANGENT] For those who have forgotten or never knew. [/TANGENT]

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Or this:

"Manhattan Transfer - Operator - 8/13/1994 - Newport Jazz Festival (Official)" (YouTube).
[Cool] [Yipee]

© Ship of Fools 2016