Thread: Board on political econmy? Board: The Styx / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003434

Posted by anteater (# 11435) on :

<CREEP>I have tried some politics-only boards but find them not as good to use as this one </CREEP>.
And I know issue like this are raised in PURG but I think it would be better to have a separate special interest board.

Is their any sympathy with this?

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Start with an Eighth Day board?

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

Sometimes political discussion also needs the Hell board.

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

I think it is encouraging that the thread title itself is economical, saving a letter 'o'!

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Originally posted by anteater:
I think it would be better to have a separate special interest board.

Care to elaborate on why?

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I think it is encouraging that the thread title itself is economical, saving a letter 'o'!

Politicians - always economical with something.

I think it would make an interesting 8th day experiment. There would be space there for both the purg-like and the hell-like discussions. And it would indicate whether there was a wider interest.

Posted by anteater (# 11435) on :

My reasons for wanting this are that although our political views are influenced by our ethical stance, they also depend on some key issues which are highly technical and not at all easy to master.

I've read a lot of Richard Murphy recently (amongst others) and if his ideas are half right (he is an associate but considered a bit too radical by John McDonnell) then the stuff about austerity being the inevitable consequence of deficit is bollocks, which of course a lot on this ship will agree with.

That makes me feel annoyed, if true, although also maybe guilty, since I am one of those who has benefitted from the current regime, so it is all too easy not to criticise too much.

But it is not easy to grasp, and there are counter arguments that I as yet cannot say I understand. I want cool headed debate, and unless debate is joined by at least some who have a good knowledge of economics, it may get nowhere.

You get this with Kerygma, where there's discussion not venting and it attracts those with some knowledge of the Bible.

I'm not aware that I can set one up myself. I doubt it.

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Politicians - always economical with something.

Usually the truth.

[ 14. June 2017, 15:30: Message edited by: jbohn ]

© Ship of Fools 2016