Thread: Approval Buttons Board: The Styx / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003439

Posted by simontoad (# 18096) on :

I am someone who craves approval, and who likes to let people know when I approve of things they post. Sometimes, I don't visit the Ship for hours or even days, and when I view my favorite threads there can be a page of new materiel or even more. I don't want to clutter up the thread with posts that link a long block of quoted text with me saying "you go girl" or "[insert name of poster] you are my idol" or "it's a koala stamp for you, you little beauty."

It gets worse if there are a few posters I wish to compliment for their learning or erudition. I'm afraid that I limit myself to no more than two posts in a row, save where life and limb is at issue, so the third person will never know how ardently I admire and love them for their contribution.

My personal dilemma would be solved by the addition of two buttons. One a thumbs up, the other a ha ha face, clicking the relevant button if you wish to register your appreciation of a risible turn of phrase or your approval of the fine use of a semi-colon. Actually, in the case of grammatical genius, I absolutely would make a new post. I do not advocate for a disapproval button, because if you disapprove or disagree you should jolly well have to explain why.

Clicking a button would result in a small counter next to the button increasing by a factor of one. As an added but unnecessary feature in my view, clicking the button could also open a small window into which the clicker could type a small message of gratitude or love. This message could then appear as a PM in the lucky composer's mail. Oh how lovely!

I present my suggestion.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

No.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
I do not advocate for a disapproval button, because if you disapprove or disagree you should jolly well have to explain why.

I hesitated following Rook's post with one of my own, it isn't fair to ask someone to read more after slogging through his massive missive.
But this is a discussion forum. A like button is minimally communicative and not incredibly conducive to communication or unrest.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

No.

In case that is not clear, No, not ever, not a hope.

I have been on boards with approve and disaprove buttons. They are divisive and inhibit discussion, rather than encourage it.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

No.

We've had periods of severe tension, division, and flaming on the Ship. Having even just a "Like" button might trigger it all again.

simontoad, I think I understand what you're saying. I sometimes wish there were an easier way for a whole bunch of people to express approval. But I think it would do more harm than good.

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

👍

You know, it might be worth the two weeks... [Big Grin]

To be more helpful, as said, the private message is often well received and can express your thankfulness.

[ 12. July 2017, 08:30: Message edited by: Patdys ]

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

Ooh, and if you see a comment or post you think should be saved for posterity, add it to the quotes file thread in the Circus.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
No.

This.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

The idea of these boards is to promote discussion. How does a simple approval add to discussion?

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
No.

This.
[Overused] [Overused] [Two face] [Overused]

[ 12. July 2017, 11:56: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

Emojis can be used to express approval, I see.

[ 12. July 2017, 12:37: Message edited by: Caissa ]

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

From a former Host and now sometime poster: NO

well, any attention is good attention they say [Smile]

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Nope.

Ever try to figure out why the hell someone liked a post of yours that was distinctly Meh?

I have. Had to PM to find out.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
well, any attention is good attention they say [Smile]

You see, that is the UKIP/Trump approach. You say things to get attention. And look where that has got us.

If you agree, and a simple [Overused] doesn't do it, explain why you agree, what you agree with, and contribute to the discussion. "Me too" doesn't help the discussion. Nor does "No" (except in the case of this thread).

Bear in mind, if we had approval buttons, most people would simply have disaproved this OP, without any discussion. Some would have agreed. Where would htat get anyone?

I was once on a discussion forum with approval and disaproval buttons. Half of the meta-discussion was about how these should work, how to make it all work better.

Interestingly*, the only forum I know where they work well is Stack Exchange. Which a) is a Q&A forum, so very different form the ship and b) has devised and developed a very complex system to make them work.

*YMMV

It's the marketing approach [Razz]

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Approval (or otherwise) ratings, I hates them, Precious.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

They work if they are more sophisticated than mere like/dislike, there are hundreds of daily topics and responses, and there is a need to sort wheat from chaff, lions from lizards, and enough users that lizards don't warp the system. The Ship doesn't meet any of these criteria.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Never mind lions and lizards, what about us donkeys?

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

balaam--

You, of all beings, should know that donkeys can speak for themselves!
[Biased]

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

I was a mod on a forum which had these, and it was a nightmare. The likes piling up was OK, but then the dislikes also piled up, on some people. So it amounted to a form of bullying or scapegoating, and some people actually left. It's a kind of dilute Lord of the Flies. And of course, Christians would be much worse (ha ha ha).

Posted by Amorya (# 2652) on :

I've seen them used well, but I don't think they'd be a good fit for the Ship.

On Ars Technica, you can upvote/downvote a comment. Too many downvotes without upvotes and the comment is hidden (although you can still click a tiny button to expand it). If a comment gets lots of down _and_ upvotes, it's marked as Controversial (with a banner). Lots of upvotes gets it marked Popular.

That system works well there, because it's not a community as such. You don't get to know the other members, learn who you disagree with. It just means that trollish posts just get hidden and don't start huge arguments.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Completely aside from what we think of them, would the ship's software even allow them?

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

AFAIK this software would not allow approval buttons for posts.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Didn't think so.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

You would say this, wouldn't you? [Paranoid]

I'm sure there's a copy of the UBB.classic™ 6.5.0 manual online somewhere that you can consult to confirm the feature isn't available.

Though, that might be planted by the liberal media to reinforce the false news.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
No.

In case that is not clear, No, not ever, not a hope.

I have been on boards with approve and disaprove buttons. They are divisive and inhibit discussion, rather than encourage it.

I agree.

They also increase echochamberishness - you unconsciously tend to read the posts which have large approval ratings of those attitudes you agree with.

quote:

I remember a line that read:

"Ratings are not permitted because we hate them"

Was this an Erinism or have I made it up?

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

I remember a line that read:

"Ratings are not permitted because we hate them"

Was this an Erinism or have I made it up?

Note: Member ratings are not currently permitted on this message board because we hate them.

It's an Erinism. And, it does exist on the profile page.

But, I thought we were talking about a button to approve of individual posts, rather than rate members.

quote:

But, I thought we were talking about a button to approve of individual posts, rather than rate members.

How about a button that allows us to like people who have rated us highly?

quote:

Ah, thank you.

Have I become a ghost?
Damn, I like SOF, but there are other places I'd rather haunt.

Posted by Ohher (# 18607) on :

Shhh . . . da boyz be talkin.

quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:

One day da boyz will get around to telling you about the "ignore posters identified as female" button [Devil]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Sexism is alive and well in the Eutychus world I see!

If you love the 'like' button, why not hunt out the Ship of Fools Facebook page, where you can like as much as you like. So to speak.

Coming here makes a refreshing change from all that. But for special occasions, you can always quote the post you like and say 'I agree' in flowery language...

Posted by Ohher (# 18607) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:

One day da boyz will get around to telling you about the "ignore posters identified as female" button [Devil]
You say that as though I hadn't already pointed it out.

That's the joke.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

The Toronto Globe and Mail bought into a package that is alleged to promote civil discourse, but which seems to make inflammatory posts disappear, and enrages people who have to go through a kind of peer review process before their immortal literary jewels can be posted. Perhaps it works, but the 'no ratings' option espoused by the Ship ensures that everyone is equally annoyed without prejudice or inconvenience. It works.

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Can I get a reach-around too?

Pyx_e

Well, but you'd likely enjoy it.

© Ship of Fools 2016